Subject: nbprgstr fails to connect to running atalkd

From: Eric Buddington <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:53:56 -0500

I am new to Appletalk stuff, so please be patient with my ignorance. I
will try to be complete.

Basically, my problem is that nbprgstr always fails; an strace shows
that its sendto()s receive no answer. Same for afpd.

My setup:
	Linux 2.4.17 with eth0 to my ISP, eth1 to my local 192.168 network
	netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 (also tried 1.4b2)
	a Quadra 605 and a Mac LC, all on a hub with the Linux box.

My atalkd.conf (after running atalkd, it just said 'eth1' beforehand):
	eth1 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.167

My atalkd syslog messages at startup:
Jan 27 15:41:44 ma-northadams1a-24 atalkd[23350]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Jan 27 15:41:45 ma-northadams1a-24 atalkd[23350]: zip_getnetinfo for eth1
Jan 27 15:42:04 ma-northadams1a-24 last message repeated 2 times
Jan 27 15:42:14 ma-northadams1a-24 atalkd[23350]: config for no router
Jan 27 15:42:15 ma-northadams1a-24 atalkd[23350]: ready 0/0/0

My attempt to register a name:
bash-2.04# nbprgstr 'sparrow:netatalk@*'
nbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
Can't register sparrow:netatalk@*

An strace of atalkd doing this shows it hanging around in select(),
receiving nothing, even as an strace of nbprgstr shows it sendto()ing.

On the face of it, it looks like nbprgstr is looking in the wrong
place for atalkd. But as I said, I'm not familiar with Appletalk, and
don't know what it's supposed to be doing, really. I tried running
"nbprgstr -p 4 'sparrow:netatalk@*'", as per an old rc file, but got
identical results.

Please advise me on how to fix this or troubleshoot further.
CC's appreciated but not necessary.

Thanks,

Eric