Subject: file troubles

From: Brian Curtis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:10:21 -0500

OK, 
 
When a user pastes a whole folder with files in it to the server they get an
error message that they do not have permissions to open the file.  If the
copy just folder it works and if the copy just the files from the folder
that also works.  But not all at once.
 
Also I can't seem to get quark files to open, I have seen articles about it
before but can not find them now.
 
Suggestions would be great,
 
Brian

---

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:42:23 -0500

>OK,
>
>
>
>When a user pastes a whole folder with files in it to the server 
>they get an error message that they do not have

Pastes?

>permissions to open the file.  If the copy just folder it works and 
>if the copy just the files from the folder that also works.  But not 
>all at once.
>
>
>
>Brian

-Wes Yates
-- 

-Wes Yates
[email-masked]
wesyates.homeip.net

"Of course, you realize this means war."
-B. Bunny

---

From: Jamie Flournoy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 14:33:58 -0800

I believe the fix is to set the sticky bit on the root of the shared
volume like so:

# chmod g+s /path/to/root/dir/of/share/on/server/

Disclaimer: this may be a stupid thing to do, or not the currently
recommended solution. However, it does work. (I only run netatalk at
home so I don't care about file permissions being a bit too lax.)

You may need to do it to all existing folders underneath the root
folder, if there are any. If you're starting with an empty directory
that's being shared, then just chmod that and new directories created in
the future will get the sticky bit.

Brian Curtis wrote:

> OK,
>
> When a user pastes a whole folder with files in it to the server they
> get an error message that they do not have permissions to open the
> file.If the copy just folder it works and if the copy just the files
> from the folder that also works.But not all at once.
>
> Also I can't seem to get quark files to open, I have seen articles
> about it before but can not find them now.
>

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 03:18:47 +0100

1.5rc1 and above shouldn't throw the "not enough rights" *unless*
somebody tries to create a drop box.

For a drop box, the solution would be to compile with drop-kludge hack
enabled.

However, drop-kludge introduces security problems too. And, because it's
experimental and wasn't on focus at this beta cycle, it isn't tested
very well.

-Thomas

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers