Subject: Expected transfer rate for Appletalk?

From: Charles Ouimet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:34:32 -0400

Hi all!

Current config:
PowerBook G3 with OS 9.0.4
RedHat 6.1 with kernel 2.4.3 and netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3

Both machines have 100 Mbps interfaces.

I don't get fast transfers between those 2 machines when I copy stuff over 
with AppleTalk...

What sould I expect as transfer rate between those machine? I know that 
AppleTalk couldn't be as fast as FTP (same thing for NetBios in Windows' 
world), but it is *really* slow.... (10 minutes for a 130 Mo file...)

There are 3 machines on the same 10/100 switch => no traffic at all.

I have the same kind of problem with FTP:
When I ftp to my Linux machine using Win2K, I can get 2000-4000Kb/sec...
Using Fetch 4.0 from my G3, I just get 50-200 Kb/sec transfers...

What can I "tweak" on Mac to go faster? Should I recompile netatalk with 
special switches?

Thanx

-C

-----------------------------------------
Charles Ouimet    [email-masked]

(514) 577-5614    http://www.analysco.com
-----------------------------------------