Subject: Filesize limit

From: Frank Joerdens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 20:00:17 +0200

Is there a filesize limit built into netatalk? I am wondering cuz I am
trying to build a fileserver that supports files > 2GB. Initially I
thought it was a filesystem problem cuz some versions of Linux in
combination with certain kernels and glibc versions and filesystems
(e.g. Reiser <= 3.5) don't support files > 2GB. However, I am using SuSE
7.0 with kernel 2.2.16 and ext2 which _does_ allow files > 2 GB (just
created a tar archive with 10). Trying to copy a file > 2 GB from a Mac,
however results in an error (-40 I think it was).

This was using the version

netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-130

Does anyone have the latest and greatest news on this issue?

Ta, Frank

---

From: Frank Joerdens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:48:25 +0200

I just tried with the latest version (1.5pre6) and freshly compiled that
against glibc 2.1.3. If I open a volume from the Mac which contains a
file bigger than 2 GB, the log file on the server says:

afp_enumerate: stat test.tar: Value too large for defined data type

(test.tar is a 3.4 GB file)

Does that make sense to anyone? Is there a fix?

Cheers Frank

---

From: Frank Joerdens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:15:44 +0200

> afp_enumerate: stat test.tar: Value too large for defined data type

I forgot to mention: From the Mac the file is not even visible, although
the space it occupies gets noticed, i.e. the Mac reports the 70 GB
volume as occupied by something which is 3.4 GB in size (i.e. 66 GB as
free) but which does not show up in the Finder.

/Frank

---

From: Frank Joerdens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:10:33 +0200

> free) but which does not show up in the Finder.

Found a couple of links with info on Large File Support on Unix
platforms:

http://ftp.sas.com/standards/large.file/x_open.20Mar96.html#1.1
http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html

Does anyone know how to put this into Netatalk or if there is a version
somewhere that already implements it (Samba 2.0.7 does not enable this
by default either, although it supports it . . . )?

Cheers Frank

---

From: Leland Wallace <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:58:19 -0700

AFP versions prior to 3.0 use a signed 32 bit int to represent offsets 
into
files for reading or writing. This gives those versions a filesize limit 
of 2 Gig.

AFP 3.0 provides a signed 64-bit offset, which should last us for a 
while.

Mac OS X has an AppleShare Client that speaks AFP 3.0.

Hope this helps
Leland

> Does anyone have the latest and greatest news on this issue?

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leland Wallace           Working in            AppleShare Engineering
[email-masked]    but not speaking for      Apple Computer Inc.
http://www2.inow.com/~randall
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Frank Joerdens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:19:20 +0200

> Mac OS X has an AppleShare Client that speaks AFP 3.0.

Would netatalk speak AFP 3.0? In other words, if I were using OS X (I
must confess that I did not try that), I could read and write files >
2GB from a netatalk server?

Regards, Frank

---

From: Leland Wallace <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 11:28:18 -0700

I believe that AFP 3.0 support is something that is being worked on
within the netatalk developer community, I don't know how far
along it is.  As for wether or not your version has support for AFP 3.0,
I'd look at the docs  (or the source for s definitive answer).
We often copy large files to and from Mac OS X servers/clients during
our testing.

Hope this helps
Leland