Subject: Trouble with Netatalk

From: Dave Higgins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:40:31 -0700

I am having a lot of trouble getting Netatalk to work on my server 
(Linux).  I finally appear on the Chooser, but I cannot get access to 
the share.  I have tried renaming the share to the machine name, but no 
luck.  

I have tried rebuilding with shadow, just with --prefix only and as 
below (currently running).  

./configure --prefix=/opt/netatalk --with-tcp-wrappers --enable-redhat 
--disable-shell-check

afpd.conf
"newfs1" -uamlist uams_passwd.so -notcp

atalkd.conf
eth1 -phase 2 -net 3700-3710 -addr 3703.163 -zone "macs"

AppleVolumes.default
/groups                 "Groups"

lsmod | grep apple
appletalk              25849  11  (autoclean)

hostname
broncos

afpd -F /netatalk/etc/afpd.conf
Nov 12 10:26:11 broncos afpd[20989]: main: atp_open: Cannot assign 
requested address
Nov 12 10:26:11 broncos afpd[20989]: uam_load(uams_passwd.so): 
mod_symbol error
for symbol uams_passwd
Nov 12 10:26:11 broncos afpd[20989]: uam: uams_passwd.so load failure
Nov 12 10:26:11 broncos afpd[20989]: main: no servers configured: Cannot 
assign
requested address

atalkd
Nov 12 10:26:45 broncos atalkd[20993]: restart (1.5pre7)
Nov 12 10:26:47 broncos atalkd[20993]: zip_getnetinfo for eth1
Nov 12 10:26:47 broncos atalkd[20993]: zip_packet configured eth1 from 
3700.14
Nov 12 10:26:49 broncos atalkd[20993]: rtmp_packet gateway 3700.128 up
Nov 12 10:26:51 broncos atalkd[20993]: rtmp_packet gateway 3700.14 up
Nov 12 10:26:55 broncos atalkd[20993]: zip skip reply 3700-3710 from 
3700.128 (no query)
Nov 12 10:27:16 broncos atalkd[20993]: ready 0/0/0

The final slap is a message on the Mac is:
User Authentication Method required by this server can't be found.
Please check AppleShare folder in Extensions

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

-- 
David Higgins
Systems Administrator
RHI Consulting
303-581-1304
--
A motion to adjourn is always in order.

---

From: Dave Higgins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:09:59 -0700

I just tried uams_guest.so and I am able to connect (with a bit too much 
priviledge), but I still get errors when I try uams_passwd.so.  I 
rebuilt with --with-shadow and again, no luck.  I'm going to try with 
--enable-pam and see if the clrtxt.so and dhx.so relink and see what 
happens there.

Thanks,