Subject: invisible files are sent with Leonardo

From: Jürgen Weltzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:36:22 +0100

Hi,

I made a netatalk volume "isdn from me" to which we copy the files 
which should be sent by a mac with a Leonardo-ISDN-Card. Leonardo is 
configured to send the "isdn from me". All works fine - but in the 
log I see that there were sent much more files (older files which 
were trashed from a mac) which are invisible from the macs. I found 
these files in "searchbycontentfolder" on my linux box.

Why were those files sent (the apple.desktop folder and others like 
trash are also sent)??
On all macs the trashes are empty.

Linux = Suse 7.1
Netatalk = 1.5.pre6 (which works fine)
-- 
Viele Grüße
Jürgen Weltzer

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Werbeagentur Weltzer
Max-Eyth-Straße 8
71065 Sindelfingen
Tel. +49 (0) 70.31.81.32.31
Fax +49 (0) 70.31.81.16.01
http://www.w-ww.de/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Windows95/98/NT: 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16 bit
patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit
microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of
competition

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:43:47 +0100

> Why were those files sent (the apple.desktop folder and others like

Looks like LeoExpress is working similar to a copy in the finder. Whenever
you copy a whole volume all invisible stuff (including 'special' folders
that are created by a mac) will be copied too. This makes backing up and
restoring a whole volume (even the system partition with all the necessary
files to boot from) very easy.

So copying the 'Network Trash Folder' is correct. But LeoExpress shouldn't
be able to copy the .AppleDesktop Folder as it is an internal part of
netatalk, never given out via afp, AFAIR.

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 23:16:58 +0100

Weird ... either your remote volumes are already corrupted, or Leonardo
is suffering from non-permanent DIDs?

(btw, in one case I have noticed severe problems with Leonardo
Pro's received folder residing at another local volume than the app
itself, but cannot remember any details since I went to Leonardo
Express almost two years ago)

Apparently you did compile your own Netatalk -- what are
the options used to configure? Why don't you give 1.5.1 a try --
troubleshooting prereleases is just a waste of time.

-Thomas

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers