Subject: pam_authenticate error

From: Steve Holmes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:56:57 -0500

I am trying to get netatalk-1.5.1.1 to work on my Sol 8 Ultra. 

I have dug around enough to determine that it is calling pam_authenticate 
from pam_login. pam_authenticate is returning a code of 12 which means: 

#define PAM_AUTHINFO_UNAVAIL    12      /* Can not retrieve auth information */

Unfortunately I don't know what that means. 

I have run afppasswd and defined a password for myself on the Ultra. It is 
my desktop workstation, so I can definitely log in to it. It takes neither 
the password I use to log in directly nor the password I defined via 
afppasswd. 

My configure command looks like:

./configure --prefix=/opt/netatalk-1.5.0 --enable-debug --with-did=last --disable-ddp --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl

And the only uncommented line in the afpd.conf file is:

- -tpc -ipaddr 128.210.135.186 -noddp -uamlist uams_clrtxt.so

Of course I have tried several combinations of options both in the 
configure and in the .conf file. This is the combo that produced the above 
error. 

Any hints what could be wrong here?

Thanks,
Steve.

-- 
Steve Holmes		        \http://harmony.cc.purdue.edu/~sjh
Unix Systems Administrator       \Email:[email-masked]
Purdue University Computing Center\
1408 Mathematics Building          \Phone: (765) 496-3325
West Lafayette IN 47907-1408        \

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:08:41 +0100

> - -tpc -ipaddr 128.210.135.186 -noddp -uamlist uams_clrtxt.so

Someone said in a newsgroup, that adding "-passwdfile ~/.passwd" might help
(the default seems not to be working?)

<http://groups.google.de/groups?selm=1f5hwto.wakfhi4ylke8N%25mocken%40physik
.uni-freiburg.de&rnum=1> (Sorry, posting in german)

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Steve Holmes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:21:59 -0500

Thanks, but that didn't help.

Steve.