Subject: DID shemes

From: Colin Tueck <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:11:44 +0100

Hi all,

I'm thinking about which DID-sheme to use is the best choice for us.
I heard that using the CNID-db may conflict with accessing the same
data with ASIP and Samba. I thought about using the mtab choice, since
I don't expect our partitions being that big that we'll get problems
with the size of the IDs.

Well, so I just tried to compile with '--with-did=mtab' and get the
error that the files 'afs/venus.h' and 'afs/afsint.h' are missing.
Any ideas?

Bye,
Colin
-- 
| Colin Tück            | Lothringerstr. 101 | Benzstr. 1       |
| Handy:   0173/9896010 | 52070 Aachen       | 47574 Goch       |
| Mail:  [email-masked] | Fon: 0241/4003872  | Fon: 02823/95305 |

---

From: Charles Mangin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:19:56 -0500

i'm sure this has been brought up before, but i couldn't seem to find any mention in the archives. 

when i'm sitting at my ASIP machine, i can send messages to users or do a broadcast message to all connected users, as well as send a message when i'm about to do a reboot, etc.

is there a similar or equivalent capability with netatalk? i'd like, for instance, to be able to send a broadcast message to connected users that in five minutes i'll be taking the server offline to run FSCK or something to that effect, or send an individual user a message telling him not to store porn in his shared folder, etc.

is there any way to do this while sitting at the linux box or while SSH'd to it?

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 20:31:31 +0100

> I'm thinking about which DID-sheme to use is the best choice for us.

Well, I think, CNID is the future :-)

> data with ASIP and Samba.

Hmm... Just my thoughts. I'm doing some research on this regarding AFP
conformance but couldn't use an ID-dump tool, since a friend of mine has no
spare time to supply me with it...

In my opinion we will get in big trouble if we are using CNID and allow
processes to modify (create, move, delete, etc.) files/folders without
notifying the underlying ID-database.

Simple test: Create a folder called eg. "test" and copy a file "sample.txt"
inside from a mac. Now on UNIX, inside a shell, move this file "sample.txt"
and its ressource file (.AppleDouble/sample.txt" to another location (eg.
./..). Try to copy the original file "sample.txt" from your mac once again
in the original folder. You will get a "-50" error since the CNID database
thinks, there is a file but in reality it isn't there any more...

My opinion is derived from experience, in particular with Helios'
EtherShare. They implemented a database solution years ago and from playing
with this I would suggest to

- never ever modify files besides the database

- do not use symlinks inside shares

- never share a volume twice until there is a method, two afpds can sync the
  ID information (which won't be the case if you share it more than once
  even if you use different .AppleDB locations)

(note: this has neither to do with locking nor access rights on the database
file(s))

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 08:19:11 +0100

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:19:56 -0500, Charles Mangin wrote:

[AFP messages]
> is there any way to do this while sitting at the linux box or while SSH'd

You may want to try Netatalk 1.5rc1 and use the '--with-msg-dir=' feature:
Take a look at <http://sourceforge.net/projects/netatalk/>, escpecially
<http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=404&group_id=8642>

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Charles Mangin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 15:07:34 -0500

><http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=404&group_id=8642>

that's exactly what i was looking for! thanks!

(now all i have to do it rebuild netatalk.. again..)