Subject: Fixing many broken resource forks quickly

From: "Nathaniel Pendleton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 06:24:05 -0400

I have a bunch of broken resource forks
from Mac files (e.g. hqx, sit, bin) downloaded on a PC
and PC/Mac interchangeable files (mp3, jpg, gif, doc).

How do I fix them?

I can edit each one with res edit, but what a drag.
Is there a tool for fixing a bunch of files at once? A free tool?

If not, is there a software developer that could fix this?
1. Search for all files with type "TEXT" creator "LMAN"
and suggest fixing them.  
2. Search for files with PC dot3 endings and no fork and fixing them.
pdf, jpg, mp3, gif, tif, doc, hqx, sit, and bin

-Nathaniel

---

From: Ray Zimmerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:01:45 -0400

>pdf, jpg, mp3, gif, tif, doc, hqx, sit, and bin

What do you mean by broken resource forks?

If you mean files with the wrong type and creator, my favorite tools 
are FileTyper and Typer. With Typer you can easily set up a mapping 
of file extensions to file TYPE/CREATOR pairs and then batch process 
them all at one shot. FileTyper is even more flexible in what it can 
do, but not as convenient for some things.

Oh ... btw, they're both Mac programs (check www.versiontracker.com) 
... Typer is free and FileTyper is shareware ($5 last I knew).

	Ray

---

From: Brian Hendrickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 03:50:11 -0700

problem: The Mac OS 10.0.1 Finder crashes when mounting a netatalk 1.5 
volume, followed by the this error message:
           Disconnected
           The file server "RH7_Server" connection has
           unexpectedly closed down.
           [date&time]

server                RedHat 7 x86
netatalk             1.5pre5 or 1.5pre6 RedHat 7 RPM binary distribution
clients                Mac OS 9.1 or Mac OS 10.0.1 (Build 4L13)

test: using the Script Editor I made two "mount volume" Applescripts -- 
one saved as an OS X applet, the other as a Classic applet. The 
Applescripts contain the following line:
           mount volume "afp://user:[email-masked]/user/"

the OS X script crashes the Finder -- same as "Connect to Server"

the Classic script successfully mounts the volume on the Mac OS X 
desktop, but there are some permissions issues. Make a new folder on the 
desktop it can be copied to the share. Other files cannot be copied to 
the share: "The operation cannot be completed because one or more 
required items could not be found. (Error code -43)"

I recompiled 1.5pre5 from source and added -DSHADOWPW and -DFLOCKS with 
no change

If anybody has any ideas about what might be causing these problems I'm 
interested in pursuing it since I had noticed greatly improved 
throughput performance in the netatalk 1.5 software, thanks to the 
coders for their excellent work. Thanks!

Brian Hendrickson
[email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Apr 2001 12:47:17 -0400

> I recompiled 1.5pre5 from source and added -DSHADOWPW and -DFLOCKS with 

    First off, *PLEASE* *PLEASE* *PLEASE* use the configure switch to 
    change flags such as this. ./configure --with-shadow --with-pam 
    --with-flock-locks etc. Do a ./configure --help to see all of the
    options. It makes configuring much easier, and also allows the
    developers to change the way things are configured underneath, while
    keeping the higher-level configuration the same. This is only an
    option with the pre1.5 tree- Anyone using 1.4B2(+asun) doesn't have
    this luxury.

    Next, all of my testing is done on OS 9.1 and 8.5 as I don't have
    OS10 running yet (maybe next week).

    Nearly last, this is the wrong forum for pre1.5 issues. This list is
    for support for the Umich 1.4B2 version (deprecated) and the
    associated +asun2.1.3 and +asun2.1.4- And will be used more actively
    once 1.5 is release-grade, and the "netatalk-admins" in general
    start moving to 1.5 (and yes, it really does kick serious butt, once
    the bugs get squished). Although some of us are on this list too,
    most everyone who's really working with pre1.5 is on
    [email-masked] (
    http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/mailing_lists.php ) - Although it's
    targetted towards developers, any user-reports for the pre1.5
    releases should go here as well to make sure "the masses" see them.
    I've already been slapped for cross-posting, otherwise I'd just pipe
    the pre1.5 messages from here over to there.

    Finally, BIG THANKS to everyone who's downloading the pre1.5
    releases and reporting back. The more people out there finding
    problems and giving intelligent reports about the problems they are
    having, the faster the bugs will be found and nailed. pre6 is really
    good on the systems I've tested- The most stable in the 1.5 tree.

-- 

Matthew Keller
Enterprise System Analyst
Computing & Technology Services
Information Services Division
State University of NY at Potsdam
Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/