Subject: Indexing files

From: Colin Tueck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 20:03:50 +0100

Hi all,

some time ago I asked around about indexing files on a netatalk server.
As anyone didn't already know a solution, I started to create something 
myself.

Well, of course it's only in a very pre-alpha state, but it works already
in some way. A small description: There is a perl script which controls
the indexing. It reads the filenames to be indexed from STDIN, thus I use
find(1) to create the list of file (including listing only files and not
listing .AppleDouble/* files). The script then employs afile from netatalk
to determine the file-type, looks up an usable filter (antiword, unrtf,
etc.) from a config-file and converts the file to plain text.

The whole thing ist stored in a MySQL-Database using 3 tables: files, words
and word2file.
Table 'files' stores filenames, the mtime of the file when indexed and an ID.
Table 'words' stores every word found in any file with an ID.
'word2file' finally stores which word is found in which file how often.

For now, building the index isn't really fast, but on the contrary searching
works in a better speed.

Well, if anyone is interested in this thing, please mail me and I will send
the program as well as the needed table structure to him/her.
I think I'll also put this thing somewhere onto the web, but I don't have
time for that at the moment.

- Colin
-- 
| Colin Tück            | Lothringerstr. 101 | Benzstr. 1       |
| Handy:   0173/9896010 | 52070 Aachen       | 47574 Goch       |
| Mail:  [email-masked] | Fon: 0241/4003872  | Fon: 02823/95305 |