Subject: Invalid passwords

From: Isaac Ordonez <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:08:36 -0700

Hello,

I have been trying to set up 1.5p8 on my slackware linux box for the last
few day.  The compile ran fine when I used ./configure --with-shadow
--without-pam it found my openssl libs and made everything correctly.  Now
when I set up afpd and start it using dhx as my authentication.  When a use
tries to log in it tells me that they have an invalid password.  If I try
and use a user that doesn't exists it tells me that user doesn't exists, so
I know that it is reading a user list somehow.  Just not encrypting the
passwords.  Also /var/log/messages only shows the user connecting and
xfering a few k of data and then disconnecting, no errors. Has anyone seen
this problem?  Is there a workaround for it?

Thanks,

Isaac Ordonez

---

From: Karen A Swanberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:42:05 -0500 (CDT)

What Mac OS are you using? The old OS's didn't support encryption, and you
might need to update your appleshare client. The old appleshare clients
also would't accept passwords longer than 8 characters.

See:
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60792?OpenDocument&software
(this site requires cookies, and a sign-in).

-Karen

> this problem?  Is there a workaround for it?

-                                                                  -
    Karen Swanberg | Sys Admin | Dept. of Geology and Geophysics    
206 Pillsbury Hall | 310 Pillsbury Ave. SE | University of Minnesota
     Minneapolis, MN 55455  (612) 624-6541  (612) 625-3819 (f)

              * <---- Tribble   . <--- Tribble.tgz

---

From: xris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:55:32 -0700

This is a known (or at least repeatable) problem with slackware.  So far,
the best way around it is to either use pre6, or to removepkg the openssl
and openssh (no idea why ssh, but it works) packages, and recompile the
latest versions from source.  Make sure you remove the netatalk package that
came with slackware, too..  If you installed it.

-Chris