Subject: Fwd: Re: HELP!!! Need to undo file translation - I think

From: Adam Gothard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 11:17:52 -0800

[email-masked] if for reporting bugs. Try sending your message to
[email-masked].

> From:    Adam Gothard <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]
>
> Hello!  I am hoping that you might be able to help me with a severe problem
> I

-

> have come across with Netatalk for Linux.  I have successfully installed
> Netatalk on Linux (Slackware dist.) for our server at work.  We recently
> sent

-

> some files from some Mac G4s to the shared folder.  Then I wrote those
> files to a CD.  However, now we have noticed that some of the files have
> some problems... especially and most importantly, our PageMaker files can't
> be read by PageMaker on the Macs.  I know almost nothing about Netatalk, so
> my guess was that when the files were transfered over to the server, a
> CR-LF translation was done on the PageMaker file which messed the whole
> thing up. I tried to use the fromdos command on the file, but had no
> success.  Is there

-

> anything we can do to restore these files?  It is EXTREMELY important to be
> able to read these PageMaker files, as the originals on the macs have
> already

-

> been erased. (ooops).
>
> If you could help at all with this problem, or refer me to
> someone/someplace that could help I would be very appreciative.
>
> Thank You,
> Adam Gothard
> Tag Team Productions

-------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 20:23:04 +0100

stay relaxed.

go to downloads.com und search for res edit or super res edit. open the
programm and select aboert (dont open a file). in resedit open "get info"
and point to a pm-file and look at type/creator. now apply these settings to
the files that dont work.

seb

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Gothard" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2001 8:17 PM
Subject: Fwd: Re: HELP!!! Need to undo file translation - I think

-

-

-

-

---

From: Carsten Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 03:01:48 +0100

> > someone/someplace that could help I would be very appreciative.

I don´t know if CR and LF are swapped by netatalk when translated.

If so a
	tr '\n\r' '\r\n' < messed-up-file > temp-file ; mv -f temp-file messed-up-file
for the data fork (not those in the .AppleDouble dirs) will do it.

But if netatalk just either translates all CRs to LFs or LFs to CRs you will have no chance.

It leaves an open question: why have these files been translated at all?
Should be no TEXT files.

Kind regards, good luck

	Carsten

---

From: "Heath Henderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 23:20:59 -0600

I am installing some new netatalk systems.  I have never before had a need
for anything other than plain text support for my passwords, but now I am
getting into some areas where I need more security.  How do I turn on
Two-way encrypted passwords or whatever to disable plain text support either
by initial rpm install of netatalk-1.4b2+2.1.3-7.rpm or after it has already
been installed?  I want to be able to switch off plain text logins for the
more secure logins.

Thanks in advance.

Heath Henderson

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 15:00:30 +0100

http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/faq.php#2.6

sebastian

---

From: "Heath Henderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 10:38:34 -0600

Kauthman Support

How do I get this to work under OS 9.  I have it installed, but it still
seems like it is not authenticating correctly.

Heath Henderson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 8:01 AM
To: Heath Henderson
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: PAM or Encrypted Password support ?

sebastian