Subject: netatalk on SPARC

From: "J. A. Landamore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:11:44 +0000 (GMT)

I assume from the facts that:

1) netatalk does not compile on a 64 bit SPARC Solaris using the Sun compiler
2) No-one answered my last e-mail about netatalk on 64 SPARC Solaris

that development of netatalk on SPARC Solaris is dead.

John Landamore                         | Please re-install Universe |
Sys. Admin                             |       and reboot           |
Dept Mathematics & Computer Science    |                            |
University of Leicester                |       Hogfather            |
University Road, LEICESTER, LE1 7RH    |    Terry Pratchett         |
[email-masked]
Phone: +44 (0)116 2523410       Fax: +44 (0)116 2523604

---

From: Hauke Fath <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 11:57:56 +0100

>that development of netatalk on SPARC Solaris is dead.

The Netatalk page on SourceForge claims "Operating System: Linux".

The old Netatalk Makefiles were dumped in favour of a GNU 
automake/autoconf based system that, so far, has not really lived up 
to its promise of being "a little bit more cross-platform and easier 
to maintain".

I understand the writing on the wall as "we are cross-platform - as 
long as you have at least half of GNU world installed on your system".

Then again, Netatalk is user-maintained...

	hauke

-- 
Hauke Fath                        tangro software components GmbH
                                         D-69115 Heidelberg
[email-masked]                       Ruf +49-6221-13336-0, Fax -21

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 07:36:57 -0500

John,

	I don't know about "dead".  I know that Jeff was asking for a 
Solaris machine to test and compile one a few days ago.  The problem 
just might be that there aren't a lot of Solaris machines to go 
around.  There is some chance that my office might get a Sun Blade 
soon, but "soon" is open to interpretation.

	It kind of makes me wish Netatalk had a rich benefactor. 
Something tells me Scott McNealy isn't going to hand us an Ultra 5 . 
Of course, I'd *like* to be wrong on this one.

	Maybe writing Sun and asking politely wouldn't be a bad idea? 
Heck, maybe there is someone over at Sun who would be more then happy 
to pitch in, even if it were just testing code in a lab after hours.

	Does anyone know anyone at Sun, or an admin at a university 
that uses Sun Solaris?

	Ryan

>Phone: +44 (0)116 2523410       Fax: +44 (0)116 2523604

__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
__________________________________
The secret to not getting burned out is to play at
working hard, and not taking things too seriously.
- Linus Torvalds