Subject: Word v.X documents get corrupted when saving to a netatalk volume

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 03:44:14 +0100

Hi!

Strange problem:

Mac OS X client, freshly installed Word v.X. I create a new document, type 
a few characters, save it to a netatalk mounted volume, so far so good. 
Now, I type some more characters and save again. Pop, and I get a lot of 
rubbish characters and line breaks in the documents. It seems, the process 
bar during the save stop at about 40% for too long to be ok, maybe five 
seconds or so. Then the corruption pops up.

It used to work fine with word98, even after the system was updated to Mac 
OS X.

I've tried all sort of configurations to netatalk, CNIDR, flock etc... 
Nothing helps. :(

We do use character translation for iso-latin:
/cluster1/arkiv Arkiv            codepage:maccode.iso8859-1

...and maybe the doc type, W8BN, is wrong, but it wouldn't corrupt the 
docs, would it, and besides, does OS X use it?  :

.doc "W8BN" "MSWD" Word Document Microsoft Word application/msword

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Palle Girgensohn

---

From: Gjermund Gusland Thorsen <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Jan 2002 16:00:58 +0100

Sounds exactly like the common error with Quark XPress 4.10 and 4.11!