Subject: chmod 777 deleted files!

From: Mark Guertin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 11:34:46 -0400

Hey all

I have setup a file sharing server, and because of permission problems I
setup a script (bash) that Œadjusts¹ file permissions by doing chmod 777 R
<dir> when a user checks out files (php/mysql driven web forms)

For some unknown reason it now completely and unrecoverable DELETES the
entire dir.  So warning for everyone out there, be cautious, luckily I have
backups from last night, but this could be disastrous!!  I recreated this
with another directory, so it¹s not a fluke, and the second one I didn¹t use
the script, but did it manually.  It complains about the .Parent then
proceeds to nuke all the files recursively, not even leaving .Appledouble or
any kind of trace behind or any kind of notification.

Why oh why is netatalk so damn complicated always?  Spent a month trying to
get a version that actually works, then it does this...Sorry to vent, just
wanted everyone to be aware of this.

This is with CVS from early last week (the only version that would run
properly on slackware 8 with the --with-flock-locks fixes as of yet)

Mark

======================================
Mark Guertin, IT Manager
Artshouse Communications Inc.
345 Adelaide Street West, Main Floor
Toronto, ON, Canada   M5V 1R5
Phone (416) 340-6284 x222
Fax - (416) 581-1252