Subject: Re: mac manager

From: Joe Rhodes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:29:22 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:59:35 -0500, Jeremy Green wrote:

>  I guess I need to clarify my previous email.  :)
>  We don't have a MacOSX Server at all so I am trying to figure out if 
>  it is possible to get netatalk to do the authentication for the Macs. 
>  I want a user to be able to log into the mac only if they have an 
>  account set up on our linux box.  I don't have a machine with 
>  Macintosh Manager on it at all I want the linux box to take the place 
>  of the Macintosh manager.
>  has anyone looked into this?
>  Thanks,
>  
>  			-Jeremy
>

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of MM (and that may be a good
thing) but there is a product called Mac Login which will only allow a Mac
(OS 8-9) to be used if it can authenticate against an AFP server.  It will
also mount the user's home directory on the desktop when they've logged in. 
Check it out at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~kiberkli/maclogin.shtml

I believe it's just been updated to work with AFP over IP.

Cheers!
-Joe

______________________________________________________________________________
Send a friend your Buddy Card and stay in contact always with Excite Messenger
http://messenger.excite.com