Subject: Problems copying to shares

From: Curtis Hulett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 12:20:36 -0600

I am running 1.5pre5 on redhat 6.2. I have netatalk installed and users
are authenticated correctly and I can see shares. I am however having
problems with the shares. The client macs are running OS 9.0.4
the exact message the finder gives me is 

The Item "<anyfile>" cannot be written, because it is locked. Do you
want to continue?

I get this when copying from the local harddisk to the network share.
The file is NOT locked on the harddisk and this only happens when going
to a netatalk share. When I say continue a O byte file is created on the
share. An entry is also created in the .AppleDouble directory. I can
successfully create directories.

 The unix permissions are fine on the directory I'm sharing. The
permissions on the .AppleDouble directory are drwxr-xr-x The permissions
on the .AppleDouble/.Parent file are -rw-r--r-- . All the  permissions
on other files in the .AppleDouble are  ----------  I suspect this is
causeing me the problems. 

/var/log/messages has the following:

Mar 20 12:53:01 dot afpd[20411]: randnum/rand2num login: chulett
Mar 20 12:53:01 dot afpd[20411]: 0.11KB read, 0.10KB written
Mar 20 12:53:01 dot afpd[20320]: server_child[1] 20411 done
Mar 20 12:53:06 dot afpd[20415]: ASIP session:548(2) from
138.236.68.21:49156(0)
Mar 20 12:53:06 dot afpd[20415]: randnum/rand2num login: chulett
Mar 20 12:53:06 dot afpd[20415]: login chulett (uid 20040, gid 1006)
Mar 20 12:53:08 dot afpd[20415]: setdirowner: chown -1/0
.AppleDouble/.Parent: Operation not permitted
Mar 20 12:55:25 dot afpd[20415]: logout chulett
Mar 20 12:55:25 dot afpd[20415]: 6.42KB read, 21.59KB written
Mar 20 12:55:25 dot afpd[20320]: server_child[1] 20415 done

My afpd has the following:

"Guest Volume" -tcp -port 12000  -uamlist uams_guest.so -loginmesg
"Welcome guest!"
"User Volume" -tcp -uamlist uams_randnum.so

My AppleVolumes.default is very simple
~

Thanks
-Curtis

---

From: Jürgen Weltzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:00:31 +0100

>.AppleDouble/.Parent: Operation not permitted

I find this too in my var/log/messages

what does this mean? How can I fix it?
Thanks.
-- 
Viele Grüße
Jürgen Weltzer

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Werbeagentur Weltzer
Max-Eyth-Straße 8
71065 Sindelfingen
Tel. +49 (0) 70.31.81.32.31
Fax +49 (0) 70.31.81.16.01
http://www.w-ww.de/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Windows95/98/NT: 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16 bit
patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit
microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of
competition

---

From: "Marc Lazarovici" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:15:19 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: Curtis Hulett <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 7:20 PM
Subject: Problems copying to shares

I am having the same problem, with 1.5pre5 on LinuxPPC - I tried setting the
permissions of all files in .AppleDouble to rwxrwxrwx, also to the .Parent
file - no effect.

My log messages are quite similar. Is there a way to get afpd more verbose?
Perhaps it would tell us more about the problem...

Marc Lazarovici