Subject: printer problem

From: Art Werschulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:54:06 -0400

Hi.

We have netatalk-1.5pre2-6 running on an Intel RedHat Linux 7.1 box.

The only change in the defaults has been to install a papd.conf file
that lists the various printers.  The only non-comment lines in the
papd.conf file are as follows:

  812 Computer Lab:pr=ps812:pd=/etc/atalk/ppd/HP4000.ppd:
  817 Corridor:pr=ps817:pd=/etc/atalk/ppd/HP4000.ppd:

Appropriate PPD files have been downloaded, and stored in the
/etc/atalk/ppd directory.

After executing
  # /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start
I did a "ps" check to find that atalkd and afpd are running, but that
papd is not running.

Not surprisingly, our Macs can't find any of the printers when they
select LaserWriter 8 in the Chooser.

In addition, when a Mac user selects AppleShare in the Chooser, the
Linux box is not given as an option.  On the other hand, if the Mac
user selects "Server IP Address ..." and then types in the fully
qualified domain name version of the Linux box, then a login box
appears and the user can proceed in the expected fashion.

I then stopped atalkd (etc.) on the original host.  Next, I installed
it on a different RH7.1 box.  Same configuration files as before.

Now when a Mac user selects either AppleShare or LaserWriter 8 from
the Chooser, the right thing happens.  That is, the if AppleShare is
selected, then the RH host shows up, and one can proceed in the normal
fashion.  If one selects LaserWriter 8, then the expected printers
show up.

However ... when a Mac user tries to print something on one of these
printers, a PostScript error occurs.

(1) Any idea why things that didn't work so well on the first host
    worked OK on the second host?  AFAICT, the only difference is that
    the ps817 printer was directly connected to the first host,
    whereas it was a network printer for the second host.

(2) Any idea about the PostScript error?

Thanks.

-- 
Art Werschulz (8-{)}   "Metaphors be with you."  -- bumper sticker
GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y? 
Net: [email-masked] <a href="http://www.dsm.fordham.edu/~agw/">WWW</a>
Phone:   Fordham U. (212) 636-6325, Columbia U. (212) 939-7061