Subject: Newbie FreeBSD & Netatalk question

From: James Pione <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 11:49:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All.
	I'm a new FreeBSD administrator, and I have to make the UNIX box
do apple file serving for a whole bunch of macs. Unfortunately, I haven't
had any success getting Netatalk working. I'm running FreeBSD release 4.2
on a Pentium 166mhz Toshiba Infinia 7160, with some 32 megs RAM and a 1.6
gig HD. I also have two network cards on the machine, with bridging
support enabled in the kernel. I enabled netatalk support in the kernel,
as per instructions, and installed netatalk 1.4b2 from the FreeBSD ports
collection. The whole installation process seemed to go smoothly, but I get a
whole lot of error messages at startup, when the computer tries to
initialize netatalk. Here's what it looks like:

Local package initialization: netatalk280.161: attribute not found.
bind: Can't assign requested address
bind: Can't assign requested address
May 17 11:26:01 un papd[238]: atp_open: Can't assign requested address
May 17 11:26:01 un afpd[240]: main: atp_open: Can't assign requested
address.

After looking through the archive of this mailing list, I saw a that a few
people who were using FreeBSD and netatalk with two network cards were
having what looked like similar problems. I tried some of the fixes
that had been suggested to them, but unfortunately had no luck. Anyway,
thanks in advance for any ideas people have.

Thanks.
James Pione

---

From: Peter Risdon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 17:13:47 +0100

I had this problem and was helped by some responses here. The can't
assign address errors seem characteristic of incorrect interface
configuration in /usr/local/etc/atalkd.conf. If you can comment out the
interface the macs don't talk with, if your network topography allows
that, then it might fix the prob. At the same time, the address range
assigned to the interface has to include addresses papd can use. If the
prob persists, copy your atalkd.conf file in a mail and it will be
easier to see if there are any obvious issues there.

-- 
Peter Risdon
circle squared
9 The Maltings,
Millfield,
Cottenham,
Cambridge,
CB4 8RE
UK
tel +44 1954 251097
fax +44 1954 252209

While every effort is made to ensure this mail and its attachments are
free of viruses and other malicious software, recipients should take
their own precautions.

This mail is intended for the addressees only. Should you receive it
inappropriately, please delete it and inform us by return mail to
[email-masked]

Unless otherwise stated, the opinions expressed in this mail are those
of its author, and not statements made on behalf of the circle squared.

---

From: Mac Conin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 09:22:12 +0200

try altering yout /etc/atalk/atalk.confb y adding 'seed' then shut down
the atalk daemon and start it again. this takes a few minutes because
the deamon is searching your net for free nodes. when the atalkd is
started lokk into the conf file and you will see the numbers atalk is
using. fire up afpd and thats it

-- 
--schnipp-- 

mit freundlichen grüssen

-----------------------------------------------------------
Mac Conin                        EUC Online Service GmbH
[email-masked]                    D 50676 Koeln
http://www.euc.de                HRB Köln 32038
tel : +49-221-923 27 33          fax : +49-221-239 651
-----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Rory Campbell-Lange <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 23:51:07 +0100

I have eth0, eth1 and eth2 interfaces on a VALinux Debian box (a pretty
cool 2250 server).

I'm writing this from memory, but I think my atalkd.conf file has the
single line "eth0". Can I simply add the other interfaces on separate
lines?

Thanks for any help
Rory