Subject: Case senstivity

From: Rory Campbell-Lange <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 16:43:12 +0100

Hi

With lots of help I've got netatalk running over tcp/ip really well.

I've run into a problem where our Macintosh CAD programme has stored
references to CAD filenames in lowercase while the actual file is in
uppercase. These references DONT work with my version of netatalk, which
I'm running from an installed module version (not one compiled into the
kernel).

I've come across some notes about case sensitivity, but don't know how to
set this up. Presumably I can recompile the kernel?

Thanks for any further help.

Rory

---

From: Chris Bondelid <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 09:13:02 -0700

What version of netatalk are you running?

Recompiling the kernel won't help you in this case.  Only AppleTalk DDP is
in the kernel.  And that just lets your box speak AppleTalk but does nothing
else as far as configuring your AppleShare services.

I'm running 1.5pre5.  In AppleVolumes.default, there's a "casefold" option
that works great for me - "casefold:tolower"

The options for casefolding are:

# casefold options [syntax: casefold:option]:
# tolower    -> lowercases names in both directions
# toupper    -> uppercases names in both directions
# xlatelower -> client sees lowercase, server sees uppercase
# xlateupper -> client sees uppercase, server sees lowercase

Chris

SysAdmin
University Mechanical