Subject: Heterogeneous File and Printing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:02:51 +0000

Hi

I hope you can help a inexperienced netatalk admin I have recently being 
employed to perform admin duties on a Heath Robinson network containing 
30 Macs, iMacs, G3/G4 OS 9 and OS X, half a dozen 95, 98, ME machines 3 
Windows 2000 professional boxes and a variable number of Linux/BSD 
clients used as "toys".  I am trying to rationalize our services.

My 2 main problems to date are file and print services Our current 
server is Red Hat 6.2 with a 2.2.12 kernel it is horribly unstable and 
all of the above machines have problems at times getting and holding a 
connection.  I intend to replace it with Debian Potato and install the 
latest netatalk module which I hope will help.  The second problem is 
printing currently we are using ACITS but this is incompatible with 
Windows 2000.  I am thinking of replacing this with CUPS am I right in 
thinking this will solve most of my problems?

I hope this will help you to help me any advise would be gratefully 
received even if it is RTFM here, here and here.

Thanks Jim

---

From: Lee Sheridan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:59:15 -0400

> thinking this will solve most of my problems?
  
You do realize that Windows 2000 has built-in LPR support, and there is no
need for a third-party LPR client?  I forget exactly where but if you look
through the Add/Remove Windows components list somewhere you will see
"Print services for UNIX" (which also installs an LPR client)

-- 
Lee Sheridan                            301.286.5898 voice
NASA / Goddard Space Flight Center      [email-masked]
Computer Sciences Corporation           Building 28, Room S241
Code 931
 
"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?"
                                           -- Scarecrow, The Wizard of Oz