Subject: 'make' problems - What provides rpcsvc/rquota.h?

From: "Blake R. Swopes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:23:15 -0800

I'm having problems 'make'ing netatalk on our rh7.0 system. Compile fails
because of a missing header file "rpcsvc/rquota.h".

nfsquota.c:50:27: rpcsvc/rquota.h: No such file or directory
make[4]: *** [nfsquota.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/bswopes/src/netatalk-1.5pre8/etc/afpd'

We don't use nfs here, so if it would be possible to just disable that and
bypass this issue, I'd be thrilled. There didn't seem to be an option for
that in configure, though.

TIA

---

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:52:08 -0800

> because of a missing header file "rpcsvc/rquota.h".

Hi Blake,

I had a similar problem on RH 7.0, and posted to the netatalk-devel list.
The summary is that you'll need to install the compat-glibc-6.2 RPM, and
make a symlink. Here's my post with my solution:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Lance,

I think this would make a good addition to the docs.

I used Sebastian's 1.5rc0.8 tarball, and then did the following:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/netatalk1.5rc0.8 --enable-redhat

It broke the following way during make...

nfsquota.c:50:27: rpcsvc/rquota.h: No such file or directory
make[4]: *** [nfsquota.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/steve/netatalk-1.5rc0.8/etc/afpd'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/steve/netatalk-1.5rc0.8/etc/afpd'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/steve/netatalk-1.5rc0.8/etc'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/steve/netatalk-1.5rc0.8'
make: *** [all] Error 2

...until I installed the following RPM...

compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2.i386.rpm

...and issued the following command...

ln -s /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/include/rpcsvc/rquota.h \
    /usr/include/rpcsvc/rquota.h

Then it went on its merry way and runs great.

On Redhat 7.2, BTW, the docs should mention that if you want PAM support
(which you definitely do, now that it uses shadow), you need to have
pam-devel installed. And you'll also need the quota-3.0x package installed.

Actually, it'd be nice if we assembled a list of package-oriented
dependencies on Linux.

Steve

---

From: Ryan Cleary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 19:43:06 -0500

> that in configure, though.

It's a bug in Red Hat's glibc-devel vs. quota packaging.  In RH 7.1 and 7.0, 
glibc-devel used to supply that file, but in RH 7.2, quota provides it. 
There's an errata glibc-devel package for RH 7.1 and 7.0, which doesn't have 
the file, but no corresponding quota update which includes it.

I filed it under Red Hat's bugzilla:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=55418

If you don't want to rebuild the RH 7.1 quota package (using the fix in my 
bug report), you could try upgrading to the RH 7.2 quota package:

quota-3.01pre9-3.i386.rpm

available at your favorite Red Hat mirror...

-Ryan

-- 
T Ryan Cleary <[email-masked]>
URL:  http://people.interdimensions.com/tryanc
PGP:  82 93 32 D7 3A AC C0 8D  34 56 96 CC DA DB 5E 2B