Subject: Re: Netatalk, Macos X and other issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:50:58 +0100

We tried the 1.5pre6, which is why I was trying that wacky version there.

The problem with pre6 was that it caused NFS to stop working - authentication
stopped working. Reverting to a previous release fixed this.

I have a proper description of the problem:-

<GMT17-May-2001 23:49:56GMT> B.S.:
Problem is that netatlk is not making their fileIDs unique and the AppleShare
client uses those ids for its hash entries. Thats why we are hitting the assert.
I will file a bug against netatalk and also change the AppleShare client so that
it will not assert any more. Although anytime someone tries to do a ResolveID
(not too common, I think), it will get back some indeterminate file and that
will be bad.

<GMT23-May-2001 21:31:24GMT> B.S.:
Fix is too catch this case and not assert, but to fail the create call with some
error. Real fix is to get an updated netatalk installed on the server. I am
working on getting a fixed netatalk submitted.

from here

http://www.publicsource.apple.com/bugs/X%20Server/AppleShare%20X%20Client/2666595.html

I can't see any bug filed anywhere on the netatalk site - that's the first place
 I looked.

Would this be fixed in pre7?

Another question: why so many pre's?

At 11/07/2001 16:31:48, Jeff <[email-masked]> wrote:
#  [email-masked] wrote:
#  > #  Which version of netatalk are you using?
#  >
#  > The tar file is called pre-asun2.1.4-37b.tar
#  >
#  > it decompresses into a directory called
#  >
#  > netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4
#  >
#  > Is there a deterministic way of finding the version?
#
#  That's version 1.4b2+asun2.1.4. The series on sourceforge is currently
#  at 1.5pre6.
#
#  > #  > This is quite important to us as we're relying on this to try and get
a
#  > product
#  > #  > out shortly.
#  > #  >
#  > #  > We would also like to know -who- is supporting netatalk these days.
I've
#  > heard a
#  > #  > rumour that Apple are looking for a netatalk developer.
#  > #
#  > #  Interesting. Currently most support seems to be via the admin and
#  > #  developer lists.
#  >
#  > This was from someone on the darwin-developers list.
#  >
#  > Also the lack of archive here
http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/mailing_lists.php
#  > for 2000/2001 does give an appearance of cobwebness to the page.
#
#  Sorry about that. The netatalk development is in full swing. Check out
#  http://sourceforge.net/projects/netatalk/ for a little more information
#  on that.
#
#  I'd suggest trying 1.5pre6 or the upcoming 1.5pre7, as it probably
#  resolves that issue.
#
#  Jeff
#
Roger

---

From: Joe Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:59:13 -0400 (EDT)

I submitted a patch to netatalk that "fixes" the AFP problem with opening
and copying files in OS X.  The reason I say "fixes" is that it relies on
the old DID algorithm.  I have not tried the mtab stuff yet, so I don't
know if that will work.

Anyway, if you want OS X support with netatalk, download the CVS version
from http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=8642, and configure with the
added option --with-did=last.  You should be able to use netatalk with OS
X after that.

The big goal I think is to find the right way to do DID calculations so
that collisions do not exist and DIDs are persistent.  If Apple wants to
contribute, that would be great.  I'm not sure if anyone else is currently
working on the DID "Rossetta Stone."

I'm currently working on porting AFP 3.0 to netatalk.  I have most of the
volume and directory code done.  I'm not sure how well this will work, but
it should provide for longer filename support.

Joe Clarke

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 [email-masked] wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Netatalk-devel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/netatalk-devel
>
>

---

From: "Troy R. Baldwin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 21:29:45 -0500

What if one does not know how to use CVS? It sure would be nice if there were a regular
beta release or something we can easily compile and use.

Thanks,
--TRBo

---

From: Joe Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 22:33:07 -0400 (EDT)

The instructions for getting CVS to work are quite clear on the CVS page.

http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=8642

Once you download the source, you run ./autogen.sh from the source
directory, then configure as normal.  Perhaps a nightly CVS snapshot build
wouldn't be a bad idea.  I'd be happy to set this up unless there are any
objections.

Joe Clarke

---

From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:52:48 -0400

> wouldn't be a bad idea.  I'd be happy to set this up unless there are any

I believe sourceforge does this automatically already.

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=764&group_id=1

Jeff

---

From: Joe Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:52:56 -0400 (EDT)

Right, but I think this is _just_ a CVS snapshot.  What I was referring to
was a buildable snapshot where autogen.sh was already run.  This would
help the people that don't have the auto* tools installed.

Joe Clarke

---

From: Jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:41:56 -0400

> help the people that don't have the auto* tools installed.

Ah. Definately sounds like a good idea.

Would you, or anyone else on the list, be interested in administering
and maintaining the netatalk website? It is sorely out of date, and I
don't have the spare time to keep it up to date. (please make sure you
have a sourceforge.net account if you plan on working on it)

Thanks,
Jeff

---

From: Joe Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:53:23 -0400 (EDT)

Honestly, my website design skills are lacking, but I would be willing to
maintain an FTP site with nightly builds.  Also, if no one minds a less
than flashy website, I guess I could take that as well.

Joe Clarke

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 11:58:24 +0200

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 09:29:45PM -0500, Troy R. Baldwin wrote:

> What if one does not know how to use CVS? It sure would be nice if
> there were a regular beta release or something we can easily compile
> and use.

There are the so-called "pre"-releases, which is just a different
name than "beta"-release.

 - Sebastian

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:36:57 +0200

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 10:53:23AM -0400, Joe Clarke wrote:

> Also, if no one minds a less than flashy website, I guess I could
> take that as well.

I would volunteer to help you.

 - Sebastian

---

From: Joe Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 14:30:31 -0400 (EDT)

Let's do it, then.  Jeff, you mentioned setting up a place to post daily
CVS snaps...?  I have the script ready to generate the builds.

Joe Clarke

---

From: Lorenzo Perone <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 07:18:17 +0200

>beta release or something we can easily compile and use.

Hi, it's easier than u might think - at least, so it was for me.

If you're working on OSX, just go to versiontracker and look for the application 'CVL'.
Download and install it, then open the repository browser, then

- make a new repository of type 'pserver'.
- host: cvs.netatalk.sourceforge.net
- path: /cvsroot/netatalk
- user: anonymous

Once done (it writes 'logged in') select it and click on 'check out'.

in the upcoming dialog, type 'netatalk' as the module name,
and choose a directory on your X for the source code.

That's it. The most recent code is now on your computer.
I was very reluctant at the beginning 'cause I didn't want to complicate my 'admin life' further... but this actually makes it even simpler :-)

regards,

Lorenzo

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 21:38:32 +0200

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 02:30:31PM -0400, Joe Clarke wrote:

> Let's do it, then.

Ok, what should we do and where do we find the current version?

 - Sebastian

---

From: Joe Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:52:45 -0400 (EDT)

Should we put the webpage in CVS?  We can track things that way.  I have
no problem doing it that way.  We already have commit access.

Joe Clarke

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 02:32:53 +0200

> no problem doing it that way.  We already have commit access.

I think it belongs into CVS. This way, other developers can also fix
things, even if they don't work on the web pages, normally. Also, it
has the usual advantages of CVS.

 - Sebastian