Subject: 1.5pre6 not installing on OpenBSD 2.8

From: Karen A Swanberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:49:22 -0500 (CDT)

I've downloaded from sourceforge the 1.5pre6 tarball.

After reading the "Install path problems in Debian" thread, I'm using this
configure:

# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local \
      --with-config-dir=/usr/local/etc \
      --with-ssl-dir=/usr > install.txt

./configure[5119]: AUTHORS: not found

# gmake >> install.txt

uam.c: In function `uam_afpserver_option': 
uam.c:324: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
file.c:1615: 
warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely; consider using
mkstemp() magics.c: In function `cm_psadobe': magics.c:111: 
warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type magics.c:132: 
[about 30 more similar lines]

#gmake install >> install.txt

Makefile:374: warning: overriding commands for target `install-strip'
Makefile:304: warning: ignoring old commands for target `install-strip'
Makefile:382: warning: overriding commands for target `clean-recursive'
...

When I reboot the machine, the daemons don't start, but fail silently. 
 
More info:

in my /var/log/messages: 

.
starting local daemons:. 
starting appletalk daemons: . 
.

my rc.local:

echo -n 'starting appletalk daemons:' 
echo ' . '

if [ -x :SBINDIR:/atalkd ]; then
#       :SBINDIR:/atalkd -f /etc/atalk/atalkd.conf;     echo -n ' atalkd'
        :SBINDIR:/atalkd;       echo -n ' atalkd'
fi

if [ -x :BINDIR:/nbprgstr ]; then
        :BINDIR:/nbprgstr -p 4 `hostname|sed 's/\..*$//'`:Workstation
        :BINDIR:/nbprgstr -p 4 `hostname|sed 's/\..*$//'`:netatalk
                                echo -n ' nbprgstr'
fi

if [ -x :SBINDIR:/afpd ]; then
#       :SBINDIR:/afpd -G;              echo -n ' afpd'
        :SBINDIR:/afpd;                 echo -n ' afpd'
fi

[all timelord stuff commented out]

dmesg | grep -i Apple doesn't give me anything.

My Makefile:

SHELL = /bin/sh
srcdir = .
top_srcdir = .
prefix = /usr/local
exec_prefix = ${prefix}

bindir = ${exec_prefix}/bin
...

and in /usr/local/etc/ my afpd.conf at the moment is the default, with
everything commented out. My AppleVolumes.default is this:

~
/home/public    "Public Fileshare"

and my atalkd.conf is this

fxp0

this line usually gets populated on the first reboot, but this time is
not.

I have no idea what this might be (although I just got a sneaking
suspicion it's to do with my other unix machines...), anyone have any
suggestions on where to turn from here?

I've repeatedly run
gmake clean, but gmake distclean and gmake uninstall both don't work.

I -do- have 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 running successfully on this machine, those
binaries are in /usr/local/atalk though, and the config files are
somewhere else too.

I have that install.txt file to which I logged all of my
.configure/gmake/gmake install outputs, if anyone wants it.

Any other useful info I can send along?

Sincerely,

*                                                     *
Karen Swanberg              |                         
Network Admin.              | Error: Sector not found-- 
Dept. of Geology/Geophysics |search behind couch? (Y/N)
206 Pillsbury Hall          |                         
310 Pillsbury Ave. SE       |                         
University of Mn            |  Enter any 11-digit prime
Minneapolis, MN 55455       |     number to continue...
(612) 624-6541              |                         
*                                                     *

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Apr 2001 14:31:38 -0400

I have had problems in the past with multiple Netatalk binaries on
    the same box - Depending on how your "path" is contructed you might
    be trying to execute the bins you're not anticipating. I would try
    to execute them manually. All you need is atalkd and afpd (you don't
    have to fool with nbpregister, etc). A good test is to (as root)
    just run (with the correct paths):

    /usr/local/sbin/atalkd; /usr/local/sbin/afpd -c 500 -n "Your
    Box@Your Zone" -U uams_clrtxt.so

    And see what beeps. If atalkd dies, its probably a problem binding
    to libatalk. If afpd dies but atalkd keeps running, its more likely
    a config error. From the output you've sent, the build seems ok, its
    the install that looks less-than-yummy.

-- 

Matthew Keller
Enterprise System Analyst
Computing & Technology Services
Information Services Division
State University of NY at Potsdam
Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/

---

From: Karen A Swanberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:36:03 -0500 (CDT)

>     Box@Your Zone" -U uams_clrtxt.so

This test ran successfully. So going on the multiple binaries theory, I
changed all of the lines in my rc.local from

to

if [ -x /usr/local/sbin/atalkd ]; then

and now everything is running mostly smoothly (yes!) but alas, I must now
jump into the permissions thread, as I am still getting the .AppleDouble
error on the server. More over there.

Tcp_wrappers still isn't working on OpenBSD, but that's been documented at
SourceForge, under 

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=108642&aid=414406&group_id=8642

and seems to be a build problem I am unable to track down.

I'll continue to beat on 1.5pre6 on OpenBSD...

Sincerely,

*                                                     *
Karen Swanberg              |

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Apr 2001 15:58:20 -0400

> error on the server. More over there.

    Super spiffy that you've got running daemons! Grumbliness that
    you're having the permissions problem. I had them with other
    1.5pre's, but once I manually changed the broken .AppleDoubles and
    was definitely running on 1.5pre6, everything has been roses since.
    *sigh* Any further hints you can provide would be most helpful as I
    can't get pre6 to reproduce this (and BOY have I tried).

-- 

Matthew Keller