Subject: a strange discovery...

From: Dave Ritter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 22:21:19 -0500

Has anyone noticed that directories and files shared by netatalk are case
sensitive? 

I can have a folder on my netatalk server with three files named test, TEST
and Test. These files exist fine together in the same folder as long as they
are on the server. If I copy this folder to my desktop, the Finder complains
about a file named "test" already existing. This is an easy problem when
there are only three files but when you have hundreds of files it is another
matter.

I know I will get answers back about using the case conversion options but I
would like to find a more elegant way of handling this.

Now that I think about this, I am surprised I have not seen this problem
before.

it should not make any difference but...
Red Hat 7 on intel
Software RAID 5 on SCSI disks
Switched 100 base-t network
netatalk-1.5pre3-1mdk.i586.rpm

We use netatalk servers in a newspaper production environment.
We use Quark XPress and I despise it because of it's bad network behavior.

-Dave

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 11:03:22 +0200

> Has anyone noticed that directories and files shared by netatalk are case

Sure. As long as the underlying file system is case-sensitive (as are most
Unix file system), you can have different files with the same name.

> would like to find a more elegant way of handling this.

The only possible solution that comes to my mind is using a
case-insensitive file system like Windows VFAT. (I don't know about NTFS
which may be an even better choice, because of ACL support.) You can't
really fix this in Netatalk, since you may always move files on the Unix
side.

 - Sebastian

---

From: Vic Landi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 09:02:52 -0500

I've also experienced something weirder...

Say there are 2 folders with different contents named "Test" and "test", I
copy over folder "test" and wind up with a folder named "test" but the
contents of "Test"

The problem will go away once there is a full move to the OSX style OS which
is Unix based and thus also case sensitive...

> From: Dave Ritter <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 22:21:19 -0500
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: a strange discovery...
> Resent-From: [email-masked]
> Resent-Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 23:26:47 -0400 (EDT)
>

---

From: Cliff Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 15:12:00 -0400

> is Unix based and thus also case sensitive...

Actually, OS X uses the HFS filesystem by default, so it won't be case
sensitive either.  You can install it using UFS (Unix Filesystem)
though.

-- 
Cliff Crawford   http://www.sowrong.org/
birthday party cheesecake jellybean BOOM