Subject: What is the special character at the end of the Icon^M files?

From: Frank Joerdens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:56:46 +0100

I mean the Icon files that the Apple clients leave all over the place
(incidentally, does anyone know what they are for?). The bash shell
represents it as a ?, like

Icon?

and the Midnight Commander, for instance, as

Icon^M

I am asking because would like to eventually somehow manage to trick
Samba into vetoing this file . . . vetoing Icon? works, but also vetoes
anything that begins with Icon . . . (i.e. it is evaluated as a regular
expression).

Maybe if I know which character that is, by staring long enough at the
Samba source, I can figure out how to just veto Icon files.

Regards, Frank

---

From: Simon Hobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:25:18 +0000

>and the Midnight Commander, for instance, as

If MC represents it as ^M then it is most likely a carriage return
character. You can normally get this direct from the keyboard by typing
<Ctrl-V><Ctrl-M>.

Simon

-
Simon Hobson, Technical Services Engineer
Colony Gift Corporation Limited
Lindal in Furness, Ulverston, Cumbria, LA12 0LD
Tel 01229 461100, Fax 01229 461101

Registered in England No. 1499611
Regd. Office : 100 New Bridge Street, London, EC4V 6JA.

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:27:27 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Frank Joerdens wrote:

> (incidentally, does anyone know what they are for?). 

If a folder has a custom icon it will be stored in this special file...

> The bash shell represents it as a ?, like
> 
> Icon?

Looks like non-printable characters are mapped to "?"

> and the Midnight Commander, for instance, as

It is a Macintosh carriage return aka CR (ASCII 13), therefore it displays
as ^M (M is the 13th character in the alphabet).

If you try 'man ascii' you will see that another way to write it is
"\r". So you can try to veto "Icon\r". Don't know if Samba also honors
the special signs for the first and last character in a line, so you might
try "^Icon\r$" too...
 
Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:43:54 +0100

Regards,

Thomas