Subject: Netatalk on SuSE Linux 7.2 going nowhere

From: "D. L. Fuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 14:55:41 -0400

I'm a newbie using SuSE Linux 7.2.  All I want is to use Netatalk to
exchange files with my Mac.  Maybe more later, but keep Appletalk simple for
now.

I quickly got the Ethernet setup and was browsing the web with the easy SuSE
configuration.  The next step was 1.4 & 1.5 Netatalk.  Compile, install,
etc.  I screwed things up and had to re-install Linux in its entirety a
couple of times.

Okay then it was  1.5pre6-1mdk.1586.rpm.  It certainly was a lot easier in
the rpm format.  The installed files seemed to end up where they should
according to the package's default locations.  But "atalk start" commands
still end-up with "Command not found".

I'm just looking for the simplest Appletalk setup to start with.  What am I
missing?

I¹ve ³read the manual² but most of the documentation is over-whelming with
options for a newbie.  Then there are the differences between docs in
instructions and file locations that don¹t help.

Before installing Netatalk and re-installing Linux I swear that that "dmesg
| grep Apple" showed "Appletalk 0.18a for Linux NET4.0".  Now there's
nothing and that¹s another element that is confusing.

I¹d sure appreciate some guidance.

--Don Fuller

[email-masked]

---

From: Frank Joerdens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 21:23:05 +0200

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 02:55:41PM -0400, D. L. Fuller wrote:
[ . . . ]
> I'm just looking for the simplest Appletalk setup to start with.  What am I

If you're using SuSE, how about using Yast to select the netatalk
package from the n package section and then saying 

/sbin/init.d/atalk start

The volumes/folders/directories you want to see from the Mac are configured in

/etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default

(if you are after the simplest possible solution, why bother compiling
the package from scratch?)

Hope it helps,
Frank

---

From: "Ed Schwartz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 15:37:29 -0400

/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start

is probably what you are looking for.

As for the Appletalk support, it may be in a module, so hopefully it
will auto-load when needed.  If not, you will need to compile it in.

Anyway, try the command and report back any errors.

- -------------------------------------------------------------
|   Eddie J Schwartz <[email-masked]> http://www.m00.net   |
|     AIM: The Cypher ICQ: 35576339 PGP ID: 0x96CDDED4      |
| "We Trills have an expression--at forty, you think you    |
| know everything.  At four hundred, you realize you know   |
|         nothing." - Dax, Star Trek Deep Space 9           |
- -------------------------------------------------------------

- -----Original Message-----
From: D. L. Fuller [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2001 2:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Netatalk on SuSE Linux 7.2 going nowhere

I'm a newbie using SuSE Linux 7.2.  All I want is to use Netatalk to
exchange files with my Mac.  Maybe more later, but keep Appletalk
simple for
now.

I quickly got the Ethernet setup and was browsing the web with the
easy SuSE
configuration.  The next step was 1.4 & 1.5 Netatalk.  Compile,
install,
etc.  I screwed things up and had to re-install Linux in its entirety
a
couple of times.

Okay then it was  1.5pre6-1mdk.1586.rpm.  It certainly was a lot
easier in
the rpm format.  The installed files seemed to end up where they
should
according to the package's default locations.  But "atalk start"
commands
still end-up with "Command not found".

I'm just looking for the simplest Appletalk setup to start with.
What am I
missing?

I¹ve ³read the manual² but most of the documentation is over-whelming
with
options for a newbie.  Then there are the differences between docs in
instructions and file locations that don¹t help.

Before installing Netatalk and re-installing Linux I swear that that
"dmesg
| grep Apple" showed "Appletalk 0.18a for Linux NET4.0".  Now there's
nothing and that¹s another element that is confusing.

---

From: "D. L. Fuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 17:26:38 -0400

Frank Joerdens--

Thanks for the quick response.  Any suggestion or just a different
perspective helps.

I have been using YaST2 for configuration and did not see Netatalk anywhere
in either its Network configuration or Software installation modules.   No
³n package section² you mentioned.

I only got into compiling by following setup instructions.  Believe me, I
sure didn¹t want to.

After the installation...

I do have /etc/init.d/init.d/atalk (yes the init.d is a subdirectory of the
other init.d).

In /etc/atalk/ there are several configuration files including
AppleVolumes.default

I do not have a /sbin/init.d/ directory only a /sbin/init.d.readme.  It is
dated 11/15/2000 and in the first sentence indicates ³The scripts for
controlling the system are placed in /etc/init.d/ (they have been moved
accordingly to the Linux Standard Base (LSB) specification.)².

Is that relocation one of the reasons for the differences I¹ve seen in
locations mentioned in Netatalk documentation?

Thanks again for the guidance.

--Don

[email-masked]

---

From: "D. L. Fuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 17:52:47 -0400

Ed Schwartz--

Thanks for the suggestion.

The command /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start returns...

/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions: No such files or directory

But there is a 3.7KB file at that location.

--Don

on 8/12/01 3:37 PM, Ed Schwartz at [email-masked] wrote:

> 
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> 
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: PGPfreeware 7.0.3 for non-commercial use <http://www.pgp.com>
> Comment: m00
> 
> iQA/AwUBO3ba+C6XaAWWzd7UEQJfhgCbBms5R4DLEzDbUgvb000LYyaGIooAn37E
> ry7saj481/JTo78FHOC5awfs
> =QtSy
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> 
>

---

From: "Ed Schwartz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 20:25:10 -0400

Hmm, this seems like a SuSE oddity.  I don't use it.. Just on a
hunch, open up /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk in an editor, look for a line
with /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions, and replace it with
/etc/rc.d/init.d/rc.functions

Other than that, try running atalkd manually.  I'm not sure if that
will start up your papd and atd or not, so you will want to make sure
they are running, and if not, run them too.

- -----Original Message-----
From: D. L. Fuller [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2001 5:53 PM
To: Ed Schwartz
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Netatalk on SuSE Linux 7.2 going nowhere

Ed Schwartz--

- --Don

on 8/12/01 3:37 PM, Ed Schwartz at [email-masked] wrote:

> As for the Appletalk support, it may be in a module, so hopefully
> it will auto-load when needed.  If not, you will need to compile it
> in.
>
> I'm a newbie using SuSE Linux 7.2.  All I want is to use Netatalk
> to exchange files with my Mac.  Maybe more later, but keep
> Appletalk
> simple for
> now.
>
> options for a newbie.  Then there are the differences between docs
> in instructions and file locations that don¹t help.
>
> | grep Apple" showed "Appletalk 0.18a for Linux NET4.0".  Now
> | there's
> Version: PGPfreeware 7.0.3 for non-commercial use
> <http://www.pgp.com> Comment: m00
>

---

From: "Grant Slater" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:24:39 +0200

Fuller,

Netatalk does come with SuSE 7.2 Prof (eg. the green box) but does not come
with Personal (Blue box)

The mdk rpm is designed for Mandrake NOT SuSE!

Thanks
    Grant Slater

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:31:18 +0200

> The mdk rpm is designed for Mandrake NOT SuSE!

Maybe he wants tro try

    <ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/7.2/suse/n2/netatalk.rpm>

Downloading and installing with "rpm -Uhv netatalk.rpm" or with Yast.

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Timo Schoeler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:46:19 +0200

<snip>
>Anyway, try the command and report back any errors.
<snap>

hello,

when you're using the SuSE Linux 7.2, there are other options to 
start netatalk (as there were in the several other releases of SuSE 
before 7.2); you have to type

rcatalk start (or rcat[tab] start) if it is not already running;

rcatalk status should give you a triple 'OK' for the services running and

rcatalk stop -- now, guess what... ;-)

to keep netatalk start permanently (i.e. every time you boot your 
box) you have to edit /etc/rc.config and search for an entry like

START_ATALKD (don't remember it exactly, but it should look like this),

which has to be set to '= yes'.

you can do this by using vi (my favourite), any other editor or using 
'yast' ('editing the main config file').

-- 
greetz, timo

"cpu time/usefulness ratio too high -- core dumped."

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:28:31 +0200

am 13.08.2001 9:46 Uhr schrieb Timo Schoeler:

> before 7.2); 

?

Please do a 'which rcatalk' and afterwards a 'ls -l /usr/sbin/rcatalk'
/usr/sbin/rcatalk -> ../../sbin/init.d/atalk

Perhaps you will imagine that /usr/sbin/rcatalk is just a symlink to the
startscript inside the init directories (in former SuSE versions
/sbin/init.d/atalk, nowadays /etc/init.d/atalk)

To look, what will be installed, take a look at:

'rpm -q -l -p ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/7.2/suse/n2/netatalk.rpm'

> which has to be set to '= yes'.

_These_ changes in /etc/rc.config have absolutely no effect unless you run
'/sbin/SuSEconfig', which interprets this file and does all the 'magic'
behind the scenes (like symlinking from the correct runlevels -- eg.
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/Sxxatalk or /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/Kxxatalk -- to the startscript
in etc/init.d/atalk)

Try reading 'man init' and 'man inittab' for more information.

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Danny Sauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:58:29 -0500

> am 13.08.2001 9:46 Uhr schrieb Timo Schoeler:
[...]
> /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/Sxxatalk or /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/Kxxatalk -- to the startscript

While it's good practice to run SuSEconfig each time you change /etc/rc.config,
in the cases where you change a "start_xxx" to yes or no, you don't have to
run it.  All of the init scripts provided by SuSE are started on boot, at
which time they directly source /etc/rc.config and decide whether they should
keep running or exit based on their corresponding "start" variable in that
file (or if they were started directly in versions after 6.0).  The symlinks
for the init scripts are all created at install time.

--Danny

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:52:22 +0200

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:58:29 -0500, Danny Sauer wrote:

[SuSE's /etc/rc.config and start behaviour of processes]
> The symlinks for the init scripts are all created at install time.

Thanks a lot for the correction.

regards,

Thomas