Subject: Re: Quark XPress File Locking - 1.5.1.1

From: Robert Thiemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:54:59 -0500

>What version of OS/kernel? What version of AppleShare Client? What server
>filesystem? What version of QuarkXPress? Is the client connecting via TCP/IP
>or AppleTalk? What configure options were used when compiling Netatalk?

I have the same problem, but it's intermittent. And my situation is a 
little different.

I just did a Fresh install of RH7.2 with netatalk 1.5.1.1 installed via RPM.

OS/Kernel:  Linux version 2.4.7-10smp
AppleShare:  3.8.8 (standard 9.1 install)
Server Filesystem:  EXT3
QuarkXpress Version:  4.11
Client:  Connects via chooser, but auto-negotiates to connect via TCP/IP
Options:  Dunno. Installed via RPM.

A user found this, and it's not consistent. He opened a Quark 
Document, worked on it, closed it. Opened it later, worked on it it, 
saved it. Printed it. Then when he went to save it again, he got the 
error.

And that's all I have.
-- 
Robert Thiemann
Network Engineer
VCU Adcenter
[email-masked]

---

From: Ray Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:26:53 -0500

> saved it. Printed it. Then when he went to save it again, he got the 

How was the file opened?  Apparently, if you open a file by
double-clicking on it, Quark (up through 4.11) will open its temp swap
file in the same location as the document.  If this is across a
network, and any little glitch happens in your network (less than
perfect, which describes pretty much all real life networks), bad
things will happen, especially when you try to save.

However, if you open the file using File -> Open from Quark, Quark
will put the swap file where MacOS tells it to.  This, in combination
with these options:

--enable-fhs --enable-lastdid --with-flock-locks --with-pam
--with-tcp-wrappers

has worked for me.  Entire sections of our newspaper have been laid
out on the server with no apparent problems.

I don't know if Quark 5 behaves differently.  Here's my setup:

Debian potato, kernel 2.4.17 with no Appletalk support
ext3/ext2
MacOS 9.1 with all available updates applied
Quark 4.11
Clients connect via Chooser or Network Browser (with TCP)

Before (using 1.4bwhatever and double-clicking), we had similar
problems.  Our staff resorted to using ZIP disks for the Quark files
instead of the file server.

-- 
--Ray

-----------------------------
Sotto la panca la capra crepa
sopra la panca la capra campa

---

From: Robert Thiemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:49:09 -0500

>out on the server with no apparent problems.

Ok, where does this get set? At install/compile? I did not compile 
this software. I installed via RPM. I've had bad luck compiling 
software that's "supposed to work". Plus, I am unsure which settings 
in the config file need to be set to make the server work the way i 
need in the future.

-- 
Robert Thiemann
Network Engineer
VCU Adcenter
[email-masked]

---

From: Ray Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 13:27:29 -0500

> in the config file need to be set to make the server work the way i 

Ironically, back when I was using Red Hat 5.2 the netatalk RPMs were
broken :)

These are set at compile time via ./configure.  Is there a source RPM
available?  You should hopefully be able to give it some options,
though I haven't used RPMs in a while.

Really, netatalk is pretty easy to configure and get working; if you
use --enable-fhs (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard), all the config files
will be in /etc/netatalk, and the rest in /usr/local (except for the
uams, which seem to go in /usr/lib...bad!...but this can be fixed by
editing the Makefile).

The only file I really needed to edit was
/etc/netatalk/Applevolumes.default in order to export more than just
the home directories (which have a default entry).

I also edited netatalk.conf, but that file is equally well commented,
and in order to get basic functionality, you shouldn't need to edit
anything.

-- 
--Ray

---

From: Mac Conin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 10:04:43 +0100

Hmm,

we've sometimes the opposite - two users were able to open the same
document :).

Normally we don't have any problems with Quark. And we didn't noticed any
difference how we open the documents. 

we're using 1.5.1.1 and suse 7.something.
Files are on a reiser partition.
comiled as:
./configure --enable-suse --with-shadow  --with-flock-locks
--with-config-dir=/etc/atalk  --with-did=last --with-uams-path=etc/uams 
installed on a reiser-partition

-- 

mit freundlichen grüssen

........................................................

Mac Conin                        Taubengasse 9
                                 D 50676 Koeln            
Neue Telefonnummern!....................................
CONIN - Agentur                  tel : +49-221-58 007-10
EUC Online Service GmbH          tel : +49-221-58 007-20
punktum postscript-Service       tel : +49-221-58 007-70
Fax Zentrale                     tel : +49-221-58 007-58
........................................................