Subject: Re: Netatalk and NFS

From: Darron Froese <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:17:21 -0700

on 1/8/01 8:29 AM, Matthew Keller at [email-masked] wrote:

> Make sure your time on both NFS server and NFS client are the same-
> Down to the second.

Check. I just synched them with ntpdate to the same server.

> I use the following flags when I mount NFS volumes
> for share with Netatalk. You gotta turn off NFS locking because Apple is
> lame and is CONSTANTLY writing and reading resource forks while a file
> is open (even in the midst of a copy)
> 
> nolock,nosuid,noexec,wsize=8192,bg,nodev,rsize=8192,intr

I've got this:

soft,intr,user,nolock,nosuid,noexec,nodev,wsize=8192,rsize=8192

I can now read just fine from those NFS shared directories, but I cannot
write reliably. I am able to write a file once in a while - but not on
command.

Usually I get "The item $ITEM cannot be written because of an error of type
-50. Would you like to continue?" Of course continuing does nothing.

I have found a workaround for the time being - I can copy the file to a
non-NFS mounted directory and then *move* it to the NFS mounted directory.
The file is fine when I copy it off of the NFS server (via an additional
test netatalk server).

Any other ideas?
-- 
Darron
[email-masked]

---

From: Mike Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jan 2001 10:57:11 -0800

Hello,

Any time I've gotten a -50 error with a mac, it has been about the
server's permissions. You will need to check to make sure you're using
the appropriate settings on that.

You might find it useful to use the "gid" option with the mount command.
"gid=users" can be added to force the contents of your NFS mounts to
appear as owned by group "users". You'll probably want the NFS mount to
appear under the same group as who you'll be logging in to the netatalk
server as. 

That's my guess at least. Mileage may vary.

- Mike Johnson