Subject: Problems in spanish characters exchange

From: "Jesus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:13:48 +0100

Greetings,

    We are running a new Linux box for experimenting with it as an Netatalk server for files exchange between an Apple network and the PC side, through SAMBA. Though, we are experimenting some strange errors when sharing files with accented letters and with spanish-specyfical symbols / letters, like "ñ" and "ç" . Might it be a misconfiguration or are we skipping any option in the Apple//Linux/Windows side? 

Any ideas? Help, please ! :)

Thank you very much in advance.

Daniel

---

From: Frank Joerdens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:38:33 +0100

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 07:13:48PM +0100, Jesus wrote:
> 
>    Greetings,
>    
>    
>    
>    
>    
>        We are running a new Linux box for experimenting with it as an
>    Netatalk server for files exchange between an Apple network and the PC
>    side, through SAMBA. Though, we are experimenting some strange errors
>    when sharing files with accented letters and with spanish-specyfical
>    symbols / letters, like "ñ" and "ç" . Might it be a misconfiguration
>    or are we skipping any option in the Apple//Linux/Windows side?

On the Samba side, use

[global]
character set = iso8859-1

in the smb.conf file, and on the Netatalk end

/path/to/volume	volumename	codepage=maccode.iso8859-1

in e.g. Applevolumes.default. What's actually _way_ cooler is if you use
the mswindows option instead of the codepage. This would enforce the
same iso8859-1 (I am actually not 100% as to whether your Spanish
characters are included there; it's what I do for German umlauts) page
but also make it impossible for Mac users to create filenames containing
characters that are forbidden under Windows, such as ?:\/*<>|.
Unfortunately, I haven't come across a version of netatalk yet where
this works (and I tried most of the versions that are currently in
circulation), as the codepage support appears to be broken in all the
current snapshots. If you manage to dig up such a version, please let me
know!!! The solution with the codepage works OK for the most part here
(except my Windows box crashes sometimes when it comes across a filename
containing ':').

The most serious restricion in this Windows/Mac scenario actually is
that Samba and Netatalk use incompatible locking mechanisms to determine
whether a file is currently being accessed. This may cause havoc if a
Mac and a Windows user are trying to access the same file
simultaneously. This hasn't happende here yet, curiously. It's about 10
Macs and 5 Windows users accessing a Linux box with Netatalk/Samba which
has been running for about 6 months.

Regards, Frank