Subject: quota support with Linux 2.4.x kernels

From: Frank Joerdens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 23:39:27 +0100

Greetings. I read in a samba list that the quota support is 'broken' in
so-called 'linus' kernels > 2.4.3 and that one is supposed to use a
redhat or 'cox' kernel (what the hell is that supposed to mean . . . are
we having different Linux kernle branches now??) if quota is to work.
Does anyone know anything about this? All I know is that quota support
does not work anymore since I moved to 2.4, not with samba or netatalk
(I need both, really).

Regards, Frank

---

From: Frank Joerdens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:39:51 +0100

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 10:54:41AM +1100, Matthew Geier wrote:
> Frank Joerdens wrote:
> > we having different Linux kernle branches now??)
> 
>  In effect yes.
> 
>  The linus kernel and the Alan Cox kernel. Alan tests stuff and then
> linus puts it in his kernel. More or less. Only the AC kernels have a
> different VM and differen quota controls.
>  RedHat base their kernels off Alan Cox's tree.
> 
> > if quota is to work.
>   Patch it your self ?. I run XFS on my server, and it uses yet another
> quota system as the 'standard' ones don't handle 64bit file systems. One
> of the XFS team patched samba. Samba is easy to fix, if you look at the
> quota code, its nicely split into different systems. The linux one has
> seperate functions that abstract the quota calls. It would be easy to
> fix.

Hmm. Do you happen to know if that applies to Reiser as well (i.e. does
the Cox kernel quota system work with Samba/Reiser without a patch or do
I need to also find a patch for Samba or use XFS instead of Reiser and
then use the XFS/Samba patch??)? If I understand you correctly, then I
would need to not only find a 2.4 kernel that has quota support (or
patch it myself), but find a filesystem/server combination that works
with the quota system that the kernel supports, which apparently becomes
rather tricky with modern filesystems and the current kernel generation
. . . ugh.

Regards, Frank

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Nov 2001 09:21:31 -0500

The kernel.org versions of the 2.4.3+ kernels have a newer/better quota
system that doesn't have quota tools written for it yet. So yes, use a
stock distro kernel or apply -ac patches.

-- 

Matthew Keller
Enterprise System Analyst
Computing & Technology Services
Information Services Division
State University of NY at Potsdam
Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/