Subject: Guest Access only, no authentication

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 12:41:00 -0500

I'm a linux neophyte. I managed to get netatalk up and running following the
infamous Anders instructions. Only guest access is an option. If I disable
guest, I get the error that basically says "couldn't find appropriate UAM on
your client computer". I've got cleartext enabled. I added -DSHADOWPW and
recompiled, still no authentication.

I'm running a standard server install of Redhat 7, and added DES, etc. per the
instructions, frankly 'cause I found it easier ultimately to add all
authentication options than to find all the lines to comment out, when I was
compiling.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Jonathan Sherry
Manager of Publishing & Production Systems
Golden Books

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Apr 2001 12:59:40 -0400

What version of Netatalk?

-- 

Matthew Keller
Enterprise System Analyst
Computing & Technology Services
Information Services Division
State University of NY at Potsdam

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/

---

From: Walt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 13:17:19 -0400

I've intalled this a couple times, but if you
are running RedHat is there a particular
reason you can't install from the RPM?

I've never gotten anything but clear text
passwords to work with the 1.4asun rpm
but that build seems to work mostly fine.

Walt

-~

     The world continues to offer glittering prizes to those
     who have stout hearts and sharp swords.
                         Earl of Birkenhead

---

From: Walt Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 11:20:12 -0700

are you running os 9?  i've had problems with user authentication from 8.6 and
earlier.  once i moved everyone to os 9 i was able to disable cleartext passwords
on the shares.  i'm running 1.5pre3 on redhat 7.0 boxes.  you might try adding
"-uamlist uams_clrtxt.so" to your afpd.conf if you are using one of the 1.5preX
(just to get a login, then you can config for crypto later).  if you are suddenly
able to log in, you know it's a uams issue.  then you can either update the mac
os if you need to, or figure out what's going on with pam.

i also liked the other walt's advice on using an rpm.  i've had good experience
with mine.

w