Subject: netatalk needs clients in hosts file?

From: "Philip R. Edwards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 08:15:06 +0000

Hi,

Does/must netatalk & IP-able Macs resolve both server & client addresses?

The problem I see is a long delay after selecting the server in the chooser
before the client 'switches to Appletalk'. The connection may still fail.

The server (2.2.15-4mdk and netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7) is on a private
subnet and like the macs uses an external DNS which, of course, does not know
their private addresses. Adding both server & client to the server hosts file
fixes the problem and a TCP/IP connection is made. However, adding only the
server address to the hosts files does not.

So, I suppose I just list all clients in the hosts file - but is this correct?

I read an earlier post explaining that when atalkd detected a Mac client that
could use IP it needed its own address to offer a TCP connection but there was
no mention of looking up the client. I am confused 'cos an earlier install
didn't need the client addresses and would like to work out why. I can list
config files etc if this isn't a FAQ I've missed.

Thanks for any info.,

----------------------------------------------------------------
Dr Philip R. Edwards                E-Mail: [email-masked]
Dept. of Molecular Endocrinology    Mobile: 079 3914 1711
University College                  UCL   : 020 7679 9398
Mortimer Street
London          W1N 8AA