Subject: 1.4pre39 - 1.5pre6 not compatible?

From: Jürgen Weltzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:35:48 +0200

Hi,
I've a old Linux-Box with 1.4.pre39 (with no maccode-translation) and 
a new one with 1.5.pre6 (with macode-translation).

Copying all shared files from the old to the new one I've the 
problem, that now all files or directories with German-Umlauts cause 
a "could not open because file or directory doesn't exist" when I 
want to open them on the new one.

How can I fix it simply? I talk about 10 GB and thousands of files...

(for the alias Problem: on 1.4.pre39 all aliases have worked fine - 
now with the 1.5pre6 they are not working - what was in this old 
version???)

---

From: Mac Conin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:32:20 +0200

hmm,

If the two netatalk servers are different machines, copy the files with
your mac from one server to the new one. that should work.

If you only have one server, you must first copy the files to a local
machine (a client) and then restart the server with the new version and
copy back the files.

the issue with the aliases has been discussed before.

shortly:
files and their resource forks are built on-the-fly when an unser logs
into the server.
This belongs also to aliases. If aliases are working or forgetting being
aliases depends on the size and space of your hd (inodes et. al.). 

-- 
--schnipp-- 

mit freundlichen grüssen

-----------------------------------------------------------
Mac Conin                        EUC Online Service GmbH
[email-masked]                    D 50676 Koeln
http://www.euc.de                
tel : +49-221-923 27 33          fax : +49-221-239 651
-----------------------------------------------------------
EUC sponsort Clean up Cologne - eine Iniative der IHK Köln,
der Abfallwirtschaftsbetriebe Köln (AWB) und dem
Grünflächenamt der Stadt Köln. http://www.clean-up-cologne.de