Subject: I can see zones but not shares

From: Ed Maple <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 15:59:35 -0700 (MST)

Greetings all. Running netatalk on a Sun/Solaris 8 system which is serving as a 
router. From my Mac sitting behind this router I can see the list of zones in my
chooser, but no printers or shares in those zones except in my local zone. On
the other hand, I can run ndplkup on the router and pull up a list of
workstations in another zone. Any idea why I can't see those in my chooser?

sys config:
* Solaris 8, core install only.
* Running netatalk 
* Not running afpd or papd, only atalkd.
* External interface gets appletalk network info off of the existing appletalk
  network.
* Internal interface configured with -seed.

Thanks for your help.

Ed Maple

---

From: "Jeff Harris [Soy hombre del palo]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:50:33 -0700

I've had this problem on my SuSE box. I found that when both afpd and
atalkd are running is the only time my share appears on the chooser. 
When afpd isn't running, I can still reach the atalk server through IP.

Jeff

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 19:37:15 +0200

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:47:49 -0400 (EDT), Jeff Harris wrote:

> I found that when both afpd and atalkd are running is the only time
> my share appears on the chooser.

Your server (not the shares) appeares in the chooser, you mean?

Well, atalkd is providing basic AppleTalk Services like NBP (Name Binding
Protocol) and after you startup afpd (and you allow ddp in your afpd.conf)
your server will be registered via NBP as an AppleTalk device of type
"AFPServer". And that's what the chooser extension "AppleShare" will look
for :-)

> When afpd isn't running, I can still reach the atalk server through IP.

Just a typo, isn't it? If afpd isn't running, you won't be able to establish
an afp session with your server. I think, you meant atalkd in this case?
 
> Ed Maple wrote:
>> 
>> Greetings all. Running netatalk on a Sun/Solaris 8 system which is serving as
>> a router. From my Mac sitting behind this router I can see the list of zones
>> in my chooser, but no printers or shares in those zones except in my local
>> zone. 

What kind of NIC are you using? Some quad fast enet cards are known to not
implement multicast correctly. AFAIR the resulting effects are like those,
you described.

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Gregg Healy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:02:26 -0700

I spent considerable time trying to make Netatalk work with a Redhat 
7.1 boxed set (deluxe workstation edition from Best Buy) 
installation. After major trial and error installs I have it working, 
almost.

Did a Server install with KDE, X, Samba, http and the default server 
stuff and set all netcfg info.

Installed openssl RPM for Redhat 7.1

Installed Cracklib RPM for Redhat 7.1

Installed PAM RPM for Redhat 7.1

Installed the Netatalk version 1.5-pre6 Redhat RPM

Reboot and it came up in the chooser and I was able to mount the 
users home directory using the default configuration.

I cant get the Linux printer to work at all. When trying to print to 
it from the client, as soon as the spool file starts to write I get a 
Postscript error -8133 from BBedit, another app (simple text) says to 
be sure I have a printer selected in the chooser, but there is one 
selected...

Any ideas whats going on here?

Thanks,

Gregg Healy
President

PhotoAd.com, Inc.
http://photoad.com
800 471-3737