Subject: Difficulties printing to non-ps printer

From: Mark Licker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:23:03 -0400

Hello,
I've been using v.1.5pre3 with Linux-Mandrake 8.0 (i586) successfully
for several months with a small LAN linking Macs running OS8.6. Recently
upgraded to L-M 8.1, reinstalled Netatalk. File sharing works fine, but
I can't get my Macs to print as before to a non-ps inkjet printer hooked
(locally) to Linux box. Here are particulars:
Linux printer = HP DeskJet500, name=lp, driver=Ghostscript+djet500 (also
tried Ghostscript+gimp-print), saved in file /etc/cups/ppd/lp.ppd
(printcap file -/etc/printcap- contains only lp:)
My papd.conf file contains following active lines:
	lp:\
		:pr=lp:op=mdl\:
		:prd=:/etc/cups/ppd/lp.ppd:
The Macs are set up to load extension Laserwriter 8, which shows up in
the Chooser. When I highlight this, lp shows up in the right-hand panel,
so I believe the Mac is reading the papd.conf file (after rebooting
Linux). After clicking Create, I've selected the generic postscript ppd
(also tried LaserWriter, LaserWriter II NT, etc.) and attempted to
update printer info. Here, the Mac stalls for a while showing 'printer
spooler processing job'. The only info showing up when finished is the
printer name and 300dpi. When I try to print to the desktop printer,
nothing happens, the job shows on the Mac up as pending in the
printspooler with an error message later on indicating 'a connection was
made to the printer, but the printer is currently not responding to
queries.' My Linux system log shows two lines: 'no such printer: lp,'
and "printcap problem: lp."

I'm assuming that my papd.conf file is not routing the job properly.The
DeskJet works fine locally. Would greatly appreciate any help.
Mark

---

From: Carsten Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 03:08:37 +0200

> 		:prd=:/etc/cups/ppd/lp.ppd:

This is complete garbage:
The backslash `\' escapes the new-lines, you have to put the backslash at the very end of a line!
There is no field call `prd', you probably want to rename this to `pd'.

> and "printcap problem: lp."

Do you have a printer called `lp' in your printcap at all?

> DeskJet works fine locally. Would greatly appreciate any help.

Kind regards

	Carsten

---

From: Carsten Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 05:03:04 +0200

[snip]
> My apologies for the misprints. The lines in papd.conf are as follows:
> 	lp:\
> 		:pr=lp:op=mdl:\
> 		:pd=/etc/cups/ppd/lp.ppd:
> The /etc/printcap file contains one line:
> lp:

Can you print locally to your printer?
If yes, you may replace the :pr=lp: field of your papd.conf by
:pr=|<your_print_spooling_command_line>:

I don't know CUPS but for lpr this would be
	:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Plp:
or more simple
	:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr:

This worked for me.

Kind regards

	Carsten

P.S.: This list's daemon doesn't append a `Reply to:' field. (very ugly!)
Therefore you have to edit the `To:' field by hand or do a `reply to all'
so that all subscribers can participate.

Another thing:
Can all `Out of office' repliers stop sending those messages to mailing lists, please!?

---

From: Jason Quigley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:18:08 +0200

If memory serves me well (doubtful), this is a required fix to make CUPS 
work with PAPD.

Cheers,
Jason.

---

From: Mark Licker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:29:50 -0400

> Can all `Out of office' repliers stop sending those messages to mailing lists, please!?
Thanks very much for your help in resolving this problem.
Mark