Subject: print accounting

From: Richard Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:53:20 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

We have just centeralized our print services to one sun machine,
handeling unix mac and PC printing with LPRng, samba, and atalk.

We would like to be able to do some form of print accouting on our
colout laser. LPRng has this feature, so accounting unix is simple.
Samba requires a log on to print, so we can account windows. But all mac
printing gets piped to lprng as user root (or whatever we set the "op"
flag to in the papd.conf file).

If we are going to do accounting we need something better than this. We
don't even need a username, the name of the mac that sent the print job
would be fine.

Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks.

***************************** **************************************
*Rick Goldberg              * *                                    *
*Graduate Student           * * "I never wanted to be average,     *
*Computer Science Dept      * *   because when you are average you *
*York University            * *   are just as far from the top as  *
*Toronto, Canada            * *   you are from the bottom."        *
[email-masked]             * *              -Stan Cottrell-       *
*www.cs.yorku.ca/~rickg     * *                                    *
***************************** **************************************
     "If you don't invest very much, the defeat doesn't hurt,
             But winning isn't very exciting."

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:17:45 -0500

We use a program called MacAdministrator (I'll be damned if I know the
URL for it, though... Romeyn, can you forward it too the list sometime?
Thanks) to authenticate all of our Macs at startup. This has the added
benefit of passing along the username to the print server when the job
is sent. It's proprietary, but very decent.

-- 

 Matthew Keller
 WebMaster, Interim Network Manager & 
   Host Systems Analyst
 Computing & Technology Services
 Information Services Division
 State University of New York at Potsdam
 
 Website: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/
 PGP: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/crypto/

---

From: "Bruce A. Burdick, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:00:09 -0600

MacAdministrator 2.0:
http://www.hi-resolution.com/MacAdministrator2/MA2Home.html

To look up any Mac software: http://www.versiontracker.com/
To look up any Linux software: http://freshmeat.net/

-B...

> From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:17:45 -0500
> To: Richard Goldberg <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], Romeyn Prescott <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: print accounting
> Resent-From: [email-masked]
> Resent-Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:23:40 -0500 (EST)
> 
>