Subject: Macs unable to delete directories created by other systems

From: Bill Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:49:35 -0500

Is this a know problem?
Here are the particulars:
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3_1 as installed from the FreeBSD packages system
onto a FreeBSD-4.2-STABLE server. No config changes were made other than
to add 1 volume to the config file. This server is also running
Samba-2.0.7 and NFS to share filesystems in conjunction with Macs. No
printers configured. One volume, called public is available. The
computer is a AMD 1100mhz, with 128M RAM, dual SCSI drives mirrored with
vinum (using Adeptec 29160N adapters and IBM drives) ASUS motherboard,
Intel 10/100 Ethernet adapter.
Clients are Mac G4s (mostly) and some other Macs as well.

This is what happens: When a directory tree is created from NT via
Samba, or from SGI-UN*X via
NFS, the Macintosh can not delete the directory. It reports that the
directory is in use, asks if you would like to remove it anyway, but
doesn't remove it -even if you try to force it. The directory can be
removed without error via Samba from NT, via NFS from SGI or locally at
the server. I took special care when testing/isolating this problem to
insure that no systems were "using" this directory, yet this message
appeared.
Samba, NFS and Netatalk all work as user "nobody". Directories created
by SGI & NT have perms rwxrwxr-x and belong to nobody:wheel. Directories
created by Netatalk have perms rwxrwxrwx and belong to nobody:wheel.
When trying to delete a directory tree several levels deep from the Mac
(under these conditions) all files will be deleted but no directories
will. When viewing the directories on another system (SGI, FreeBSD or
NT), the .AppleDouble directories remain. These trees can be
successfully deleted from SGI, NT or FreeBSD.
Please note that directories created on the server by the Mac never
cause this problem.

The question is: is this something I can configure around, or have I
uncovered a bug. If it's a bug, how can I help to get it fixed?

-Bill

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 07:46:44 -0500

> NFS, the Macintosh can not delete the directory. It reports that the

How many characters did you use on files/dirs?  Mac will have problems for
seeing and accessing files/dirs with more than 32 characters.

Alex

---

From: Bill Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 09:51:12 -0500

> seeing and accessing files/dirs with more than 32 characters.

Thanks for the reply.
I don't think that's it. When I started diagnosing the problem I was
using directories called "temp" and "test" and got the exact same
results.

-Bill