Subject: re: Unix (Netatalk) Client of Conventional MacOS Server?

From: Allan Hunter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 16:47:34 -0400

At 2:48 PM -0400 5/16/01, Chad Cunningham wrote:
>As far as I know, there is nothing that will allow any variety of unix to
>mount an appleshare volume that is served up by another machine. There is
>a linux kernel module that existed at one time, but it didn't work all
>that well and hasn't been touched in a few years.

What about a Cayman Gatorbox?

Don't laugh, folks, I'm trying to sound knowledgeable here!

But seriously, I've heard rumors that something called a Gatorbox 
might provide the functionality I'm looking for (to be a CLIENT of an 
existing non-ASIP AppleTalk File Sharing network.  I'm already 
capable of being a SERVER).

-- 
Allan Hunter

<[email-masked]>
<http://home.earthlink.net/~ahunter>

---

From: Barry Stock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 11:15:50 -0400

I would suggest returning to MacOS 9.1 for the time being. OSX is not going
to allow you to access classic appletalk shares. Sorry to be the bearer of
this unfortunate opinion. Are all of these Macs running pre-IP MacOS's?

-bs

---

From: Christoph Sold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 19:10:16 +0200

> this unfortunate opinion. Are all of these Macs running pre-IP MacOS's?

A simple workaround is to open the chooser in classic environment. Mac 
OS X will show all AppleShare Servers in your network. Connect will fail 
for all AppleTalk over Ethernet servers, but more modern servers will 
automatically switch to IP and allow you to connect from OS X.

HTH
.Christoph Sold