Subject: Re: Hidden Files Not Being Copied

From: Duncan Sinclair <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:33:52 +0000

Ray Zimmerman writes:
>OK, that's makes three of us ... does anyone see any problems with this?
>
>I think ideally netatalk should have a config option to allow it 
>choose between the following 3 behaviors:
>
>1. Don't make dotfiles available to the Mac (current behavior).
>2. Make dotfiles available as visible files with no name change.
>3. Make dotfiles available as invisible files with the '.' stripped off.

Option 3 wouldn't work.  It's possible you could have two files:
  1) .foo - not marked hidden in the AppleDouble info.
  2) foo  - marked hidden in AppleDouble info.
These files whould end up the same when served to the Mac.  Likewise
most other "file munging" that you could imagine.

Instead it should be:
3. Make dotfiles available as invisible files with no name change.

Cheers,

Duncan.

---

From: Ray Zimmerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:53:59 -0500

>most other "file munging" that you could imagine.

OK. I see that would cause problems.

>3. Make dotfiles available as invisible files with no name change.

Yeah ... and forget trying to convert invisible Mac files to 
dotfiles, we have AppleDouble to preserve those bits for us ... what 
was I thinking.

It looks like 1 and this new version of 3 may already be implemented 
via the 'usedots' option in the (at least recent) 
AppleVolumes.default files. What about number 2, which is what I'd 
probably prefer?

	Ray