Subject: AppleTalk only seems to be semi-functional. Everything works over TCP/IP

From: Alexi Margo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:16:10 -0000

Hi,

I have seen similar posts in the archives, but no solution. If anyone can
help it would be greatly appreciated - I'm sure I've overlooked something
really simple, but I'm not sure where to go from here.

I've installed the netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4-0.i386 RPM on a RedHat 6.2 box.
The machine is appearing in Chooser and if I choose to connect by entering
the server's IP address there are no problems. However, if I just "OK" the
server name directly from Chooser, I immediately get the response:

> No response from server. Please try again.

Outputs of the following files:

/var/log/messages:

Jan 11 10:51:46 miserver1 kernel: NET4: AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0 
Jan 11 10:51:46 miserver1 atalkd[2203]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
Jan 11 10:51:47 miserver1 atalkd[2203]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Jan 11 10:52:06 miserver1 last message repeated 2 times
Jan 11 10:52:16 miserver1 atalkd[2203]: config for no router
Jan 11 10:52:17 miserver1 atalkd[2203]: ready 0/0/0
Jan 11 10:52:17 miserver1 atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
Jan 11 10:52:29 miserver1 papd[2221]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
Jan 11 10:52:29 miserver1 atalk: papd startup succeeded
Jan 11 10:52:29 miserver1 atalk: afpd startup succeeded
Jan 11 10:52:35 miserver1 afpd[2230]: miserver1:AFPServer@* started on
65280.44:128 (1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
Jan 11 10:52:35 miserver1 afpd[2230]: ASIP started on 127.0.0.1:548(1)
(1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
Jan 11 10:52:35 miserver1 afpd[2230]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
Jan 11 10:52:35 miserver1 afpd[2230]: uam: uams_clrtxt.so loaded
Jan 11 10:52:35 miserver1 afpd[2230]: uam: uams_dhx.so loaded
Jan 11 10:52:35 miserver1 afpd[2230]: uam: "DHCAST128" available
Jan 11 10:52:35 miserver1 afpd[2230]: uam: "Cleartxt Passwrd" available
Jan 11 10:52:35 miserver1 afpd[2230]: uam: "No User Authent" available

$ nbplkup miserver1
    miserver1:AFPServer                          65280.44:128
    miserver1:netatalk                           65280.44:4
    miserver1:Workstation                        65280.44:4

$ nbplkup :Workstation
    miserver1:Workstation                        65280.44:4
     Mac ISDN:Workstation                        41201.173:4
         Mac1:Workstation                        41201.237:4
         Mac2:Workstation                        41201.18:4
         Mac3:Workstation                        65295.90:4
         Mac4:Workstation                        65280.198:4
         Mac5:Workstation                        41201.61:4
         Mac6:Workstation                        41201.124:4

afpd.conf and atalkd.conf contain only comments.

Any ideas?

Regards,

**********************************************************
Alexi Margo
Internet Systems Manager
Wildwood Technology Ltd
http://www.wwood.co.uk/
t +44-(0)20 8426 7777
f +44-(0)20 8426 5050
**********************************************************

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("the Intended
Recipient") to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is
privileged and confidential within the meaning of applicable law.
Accordingly any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this
message or any of its content by any person other than the Intended
Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the Intended Recipient please contact the sender
as soon as possible.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 07:40:14 -0800 (PST)

> Jan 11 10:52:35 miserver1 afpd[2230]: ASIP started on 127.0.0.1:548(1)

Look at the line directly above.  Afpd is binding to 127.0.01, the
loopback address, instead of your real IP address.  So when the mac
contacts the server over appletalk, your server says, "Contact me on
127.0.0.1", which fails.

Have a look at your /etc/hosts file.  It should look something like:

127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.localdomain
24.7.138.204            c9544580-a.potlnd1.or.home.com c9544580-a

I think you'll find that it only has the 127.0.0.1 address in it, not your
real IP address.

	Andy

---

From: Carsten Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:48:32 +0100

> > No response from server. Please try again.

Could be a DNS related problem?
Have you configured your name server correctly?
NBP seems not responsible since you're going IP.

	Carsten

---

From: Christian Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:37:01 +0100

>  Jan 11 10:52:35 miserver1 afpd[2230]: ASIP started on 127.0.0.1:548(1)

Well - try editing your atalkd.conf and tell netatalk which network 
interface to use.
127.0.0.1 is the loopback interface...

hth,
Christian
-- 
Made with a Macintosh...
[email-masked]
http://home.t-online.de/home/chrischmi/