Subject: Permissions for creating files

From: [email-masked] (Christopher M. Anderson)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:12:07 -0400

Hello all,

I'm running netatalk 1.5pre5 on a 2.2.17-14smp kernel (redhat 6.2
distribution).  I can see the linux box in the chooser, connect via tcp,
and open and manipulate existing files.  However, whenever I copy a file
from the mac to the linux box, or try to save a file from a mac application
to the linux box, I get the message:  "The item <item> cannot be written
because it is locked."

Wading through the .AppleDouble directory (permissions 711), existing linux
box files have permissions 600 and an empty file by the name of the file I
tried to save/copy with permissions 000 (hence the locking?).  Similarly,
if I try to trash an existing linux file, I am told I do not have
permissions.

I think there are some clues in my /messages log, but I'm new enough to
linux not to know what they mean:
at login:
Apr  5 23:04:52 bandit afpd[19308]: dhx login: xyz
Apr  5 23:04:52 bandit afpd[19308]: uams_dhx_pam.c :PAM: PAM Success -- No such
file or directory
Apr  5 23:04:52 bandit PAM_pwdb[19308]: (netatalk) session opened for user xyz b
y (uid=0)
Apr  5 23:04:52 bandit afpd[19308]: uams_dhx_pam.c :PAM: PAM Auth OK!: (null) --
 Inappropriate ioctl for device
Apr  5 23:04:52 bandit afpd[19308]: login xyz (uid 500, gid 100)

Then, when I try to copy a file:

Apr  5 23:05:06 bandit afpd[19308]: setdirowner: chown -1/0 .AppleDouble/.Parent
: Operation not permitted

Am I having an authentication problem when I login through appletalk, and
that's preventing me from getting thr right permissions to create files
(and if so, how do I fix it), or do I have a something set incorrectly
within netatalk?

Thanks for any ideas,

Chris

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 13:30:09 -0400

Christopher,

	I had the same problem a few weeks ago.  I'm running this on 
redhat as well.

	A kind soul sent me 1.5pre3 (although everyone insists that 
there *was* no pre3).  And 1.5pre3 seemed to work.  In fact, my whole 
company is accessing through 1.5pre3.

	I'll send it to you.

	Ryan

>(and if so, how do I fix it), or do I have a something set incorrectly

__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
__________________________________
"The NeXT Computer: The hardware makes it a PC,
the software makes it a workstation, the unit
sales makes it a mainframe."
-Anon.

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Apr 2001 13:40:24 -0400

I believe that this was fixed after the release - Try a build from CVS
(but also expect to find OTHER things broken ;)

-- 

Matthew Keller
Enterprise System Analyst
Computing & Technology Services
Information Services Division
State University of NY at Potsdam

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 13:02:44 +0100 (BST)

You want to look at the patch in the current CVS tree to
libatalk/adouble/ad_open.c which changes O_RDWR to mode.

That ought to fix your problem.

-- 
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594
Microsoft - because god hates us