Subject: Re: Apple, Netatalk, OS X

From: Ian Wojtowicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:59:45 -0800

Hi Jeff.

> Some people have gotten netatalk to work under Mac OSX (see the mailing
> list archives), but nothing officially from Apple, yet.

I've scanned the archives and haven't found a single person who has
connected to a netatalk server with Mac OS X and actually experienced
bug-free performance. Netatalk is essentially unusable with Mac OS X. This
is really unfortunate for organizations that rely on Mac<->Linux
connectivity.

___________________________________________________________________________
ian wojtowicz                                                http://woj.com

---

From: Mike Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:17:51 GMT

How solid is the NFS implementation? I've heard it's been bundled with X.

- Mike Johnson

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 2/15/01, 2:59:45 PM, Ian Wojtowicz <[email-masked]> wrote regarding Re:

---

From: paul beard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:19:14 -0800

Actually, I have used netatalk with OS X, but TCP only. I can't get
appletalk (pure DPP) to work under OS 9 or X.

--
Paul Beard / 206 529 8400
8040 27th Ave NE
Seattle WA 98115

You'll wish that you had done some of the hard things when they were easier
to do.

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:40:08 +1300

Interesting? I'm running *a version* of OSX that mounts the netatalk 
server in our offices, and at home fine.
I go to the 'Go' menu, enter the IP of the Server, enter the 
username/password, and it mounts on my desktop.
I have been able to open, save, copy Quark/Photoshop/Filemaker files, 
play MP3s directly off it without issue. I must admit, I haven't 
given it the full-blown test that it needs, but on the surface, it 
works. (Apart from the having to enter IP bit). Based on my 
experience, wait until you get a later version than the public beta 
;->   OSX does get better, trust me!

I'll give it a full test tonight and report back any weirdo behaviour later on.

Marcus

-- 
========================================================

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer."
		Marcus Radich 1999

========================================================

---

From: Maurice Volaski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:32:04 -0500

>appletalk (pure DPP) to work under OS 9 or X.

The only issue I saw that was Netatalk specific was that DHX 
authentication didn't work. It definitely does shows up in the 
Chooser, and I want to remember that AppleTalk transport did work, 
but I am not wholly certain I tested that.
Unfortunately, if you are using HFS+ volumes on any available 
incarnation of the server, you will run into the server stalling when 
files are copied from client to server. The bigger the file the 
longer the stall. Files about a gig in size won't make it at all. 
This affects Samba running on X too. If you are using UFS, your 
partition must be smaller than 128 GB; otherwise, fsck won't work.
-- 

Maurice Volaski, [email-masked]
Computing Support, Rose F. Kennedy Center
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University

---

From: Ian Wojtowicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:08:58 -0800

The weirdo behaviour I have experienced includes incorrectly reporting files
as 0KB and intermittent errors during copying. Have you experienced any of
these conditions in more recent OS X builds?

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:18:48 +1100

> is really unfortunate for organizations that rely on Mac<->Linux

 'bug free performance', just at the moment I would be happy with buggy
performance. All the files show as zero lenght. Can move no data at all.
Could say it works fine but the performance is 0 :-)

-- 
Matthew Geier			[email-masked]
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713
Sydney University

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:31:22 +1300

OK, here is a quick rundown using a "post public beta" build with a 
netatalk volume:

Positives:
- File sizes show up perfectly
- Volume size is correctly represented
- File mapping works well
- Classic (9.1) and OS X apps can save and open files directly off 
the netatalk volume
- Speed on 10BaseT was up to spec, 100BaseT not tested yet.
- Full support for Plain Text, Encrypted Transport logins and Keychains.

Issues:
- Volume header shows up with the "pen crossed out" symbol, showing a 
locked Vol. It isn't.
- Files saved from Quark 4.11 in classic didn't show up in the 
finder. They are there and can be opened directly from  Quark. 
Remounting the netatalk vol shows the files properly.
- Copying from the netatalk volume to a local volume icon presents a 
-39 error. Copy to a folder *inside* the local volume works fine.

Summary:
Don't base your evaluations on the Public Beta - appleshare support 
in OS X is improving build by build. Remember, this is still beta 
software! As OS X moves toward a Developer Beta (apparently 10 days 
away), we should start looking closely then at the support, it will 
be closer to the final than the current builds.

mrad01