Subject: rquota.h problem with RH7.1?

From: "Jason Lam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 15:37:49 -0400

I am trying to compile netatalk 1.5pre8 on RH 7.1 (i386). I am encountering
problem with rquota.h.

Config command:
--------------------
./configure --enable-redhat --with-pam --with-shadow --with-config-dir=/etc/
atalk --with-msg-di=/etc/atalk/msg --with-uam-path=/etc/atalk/uams

When compiling nfsquota.c
---------------------------
nfsquota.c:50:26:rpcsvc/rquota.h:Nosuch file or directory
make[4]: [nfsquota.o] Error 1

I read the README.linux and I think I should change the sys/linux/Makefile,
however, the sys/linux directory simply does not exist, (configure) did not
create it.

Can I enable NO_QUOTA_SUPPORT to get rid of this? If so, please provide
instruction on using NO_QUOTA_SUPPORT. (I really don't need quota now)

Jason Lam

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 22:46:07 +0200

> I am trying to compile netatalk 1.5pre8 on RH 7.1 (i386). I am encountering

To quote myself on netatalk-devel:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 09:37:42AM -0400, Steven Karel wrote:

> nfsquota.c:50:27: rpcsvc/rquota.h: No such file or directory
> 
> I don't recall ever seeing this error before. Redhat linux 7.0/7.1
> with 
> updates. Maybe this has to do with the recent glibc update? Looking
> for 
> rquota.h on my system I see:

I do actually think that it's related to the glibc update. I remember
that Debian had the same problem some revisions ago. Try to look for a
file called rquota.x from which rquota.h is auto-generated.

This seems to be a RedHat bug, not a netatalk one.

 - Sebastian

---

From: "Jason Lam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 17:13:03 -0400

> This seems to be a RedHat bug, not a netatalk one.

Yes, I just put in the glibc update RHBA-2001:121-05, maybe that's why.

I do notice the rquota.h in the compat-glibc package, I will try to make a
symlink to the file in this package. Will notify you the result in a little
while.

BTW, would eliminating quota get rid of this problem totally? I really don't
need quota on this machine.

THANKS!

Jason Lam

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 01:11:04 +0200

> need quota on this machine.

I don't know. You could try.

 - Sebastian

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 15:14:21 +1000

> need quota on this machine.

 Linux quotas are a complete mess just at the moment. Better just to
turn the feature off.

 The Linus and Alan kernel trees have different quota structures. Code
written for one wont work on the other.  Alan Cox works for RedHat.
RedHat shipped a -AC kernel, and I understand it has the -AC quota
control code. Thus any thing compiled for RH 7.1 quotas won't work on
non -AC kernel systems.
 Im running SGI's XFS which has its own quota functions/structures as
the Linus ones can't cope with 64bit file systems. Thus there at least 3
sets of quota data structures and interfaces in use for Linux 2.4.x at
the moment.

 The Samba people have made Samba 2.2.2 work with what RedHat shipped,
but that's bound to tick off people running other distributions that may
not use the -AC version of quota... (And im running XFS, so I patched it
to work with XFS. The NetAtalk quota.c has so far scared me off).

 Just to make it more 'interesting' glibc is supposed to 'match' the
kernel. I assume RedHat make sure their kernel/libc are a matched set,
but since the structures might be different what the program is looking
for, your code may not compile or work as expected...

 Where debian fits in I don't know...

 Note I don't follow this very closely. The linux kernel mail list is
probably full of flame wars over this (among other things....)

---

From: Joe Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 01:24:31 -0400 (EDT)

> sets of quota data structures and interfaces in use for Linux 2.4.x at

Give me FreeBSD anytime!  At least I know what I'm getting.

Joe