Subject: long filenames

From: Ken Gillett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 20:46:29 +0000

I can't check this at the moment, so could someone possible tell me 
if a MacOS X client can handle filenames longer than 31 chars on a 
Netatalk volume?

I can see these long names in Windows via samba and of course also on 
the linux server itself, but on OS 9 client files with names longer 
than 31 are simply not shown, not even in the count, it's as if they 
don't exist. Am I correct that OSX AppleShare clients WILL work with 
these long filenames, or is it a limitation built into Netatalk?

Thanks.
-- 

Ken  G i l l e t t

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 00:05:54 +0100

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 20:46:29 +0000, Ken Gillett wrote:

> Am I correct that OSX AppleShare clients WILL work with these long filenames,

Yes. The AFP client of MOSX speaks AFP 3.0.

> or is it a limitation built into Netatalk?

It's a limitation of AFP versions < 3.x

Netatalk is implementing AFP 2.x correctly, so longer filenames won't be
available for AFP clients as they could cause buffer overflows.

M$ is violating the specs with Win2000's Services for Macintosh, that
implement longer filenames even for AFP 2.x clients (the same old story with
every protocol, M$ keeps its hands on)

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Ken Gillett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:20:34 +0000

>Yes. The AFP client of MOSX speaks AFP 3.0.

That's good.

>available for AFP clients as they could cause buffer overflows.

That's not so good.

When will Netatalk implement AFP 3?

In the meantime, is there anything I can do to make Netatalk truncate 
the names in some way so that the files at least get shown?

>every protocol, M$ keeps its hands on)

You're right there, but in this case I wish Netatalk did the same thing:-)
-- 

Ken  G i l l e t t

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/