Subject: Directories are created with...unexpected permissions

From: Ray Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:37:47 -0500

In the hopes of working around Quark (I think you know what I mean), I
recently updated our server to netatalk 1.5.1.1 (it was running an old
asun version).  In this respect, things seem to be much better now.

However, I'm having a problem with directory creation.  All of the
directories on the shared bit of the server are mode 2770.  IIRC,
netatalk previously created directories beneath these with the same
permissions.  This is still what happens if I create directories from
the command line.

But if I create directories (using the same account) with
netatalk, they are mode 0770, meaning that files or directories inside
them don't inherit the correct group, and creating access problems
(like the production assistants unable to get at directories created
by the Photo Editor).

Have other people run into this problem?  Is there a good solution?
I'm running Debian Potato, and compiled netatalk 1.5.1.1 with the
following options:

./configure --enable-fhs --enable-timelord --enable-lastdid
--with-flock-locks --with-tcp-wrappers

Thanks,

-- 
--Ray

-----------------------------
Sotto la panca la capra crepa
sopra la panca la capra campa

---

From: "Stuart Haas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:06:05 -0500

Hi -

I have been having the same problem since I upgraded to 1.5.1.1 from the RPM
a couple of days ago.  I am running the Redhat 7.2, kernel 2.4.18 Pre9, with
the directories mounted on a Reiserfs partition.

It is not a Linux problem, as permissions on a directory are inherited
properly from a shell prompt, but from a Mac, the permissions are not
inherited.  And this is really creating problems among users.

I have been running netatalk 1.5 pre 6 for months with no permissions
problems.

Any clues?

Stuart

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Shaw" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 7:37 PM
Subject: Directories are created with...unexpected permissions

> This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs SkyScan
service. http://www.messagelabs.com/

This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs SkyScan service. http://www.messagelabs.com/

---

From: "Stuart Haas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:45:32 -0500

OK,

So I see that there are only two of us with this problem, but I was able to
duplicate this on an other machine, a standard Redhat 7.2 install with ext3
file systems.

On that note, can anyone confirm, using the latest release, that if you
create a directory from a shell prompt with permissions 2770, that if you
create a directory under that one that the permissions are inherited along
with the ownership?

This used to work very well!

Thanks,

Stuart

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 08:49:24 -0600 (CST)

I use 2770 on my directories (with SuSE 7.3) and files inherit the group
perms but the original creator of the file is still the owner.

-Dan

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Stuart Haas wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Netatalk-devel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/netatalk-devel
>

---

From: Ray Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:27:30 -0500

> perms but the original creator of the file is still the owner.

Yes, that's the way it should be, but

> > duplicate this on an other machine, a standard Redhat 7.2 install with ext3

Hmm.  I forgot to mention this in my original message, but I'm also
using ext3.  Since it should be the same as ext2 except for the
journaling, I don't think that this should be the problem, but
stranger things have happened.

Is anyone using 2770 directories successfully with ext3?  I don't
think it's distribution specific, since I'm using Debian potato and
Stuart Haas is using Red Hat 7.2.

(I'd try to test this myself by falling back to ext2, but I'm going to
be away from my server all weekend, starting...about now, really :)

-- 
--Ray

---

From: Ray Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:02:39 -0500

> be away from my server all weekend, starting...about now, really :)

Since I didn't get any replies, I remounted everything as ext2 when I
got in today.  The problem is still there; directories created from a
macintosh have permissions of 0770, rather than 2770.

I downloaded the latest release (1.5.2), and compiled it with no
options to configure other than --enable-fhs, and I still get the same
thing.  I really don't want to have to fall back to my ancient
version, because I'd be really happy if Quark could work with the
network, but this is a bad problem.

I'm using kernel 2.4.17 on Debian potato.

-- 
--Ray