Subject: Continuing problems with netatalk / server disappearing from chooser

From: Bas van der Linden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:20:18 +0200

Hi all,

I'm having some quite irritating problems here:

The server seems to disappear and reappear ramdomly from the chooser.
Restarting seems to cure things sometimes, or this might just be my 
perception. 
I cannot figure out how this would be possible.

Another thing I've noticed is that since we migrated the server from
Win NT4 to RH Linux 6.2 (with a 2.4.3-kernel and Netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
is that only some of the computers show up at all on the chooser, where
they all first would show up (prior to migrating). 

I've tried several things, at the moment I'm trying this:

afpd.conf:
# We are defining 2 servers here, one permits access to the general share, one permits access to the 'sys' share.
# The standard server should permit access to the general share.

- -noudp -tcp -ipaddr 195.193.216.32 -nocrlf -guest -nocleartext -guestname "nobody"

# The next server should permit to the 'sys' share

"SYS Server" -noudp -tcp -ipaddr 195.193.216.32 -port 12000 -loginmesg "Deze share is alleen voor toegang tot de 'sys' share!" -defaultvol /etc/atalk/sys-server/AppleVolumes.default -systemvol /etc/atalk/sys-server/AppleVolumes.system -nocrlf -guest -nocleartext

And atalkd.conf only shows 'eth0'.

I can connect by entering the IPadress in the server at all times.

If anyone has an idea of what I might try, I'd be really happy
to hear it! :)

Thanks so far,

Bas van der Linden

-- 
B.J.J. van der Linden           	-=- 
Brouwersgracht 132               Amaze Internet Services
1013 HA Amsterdam                	-=-
Tel:	+31-20-4688336		   Linux/Web/Zope/SQL
Fax:	+31-20-4688337		   Network Solutions
Web:	http://www.amaze.nl	     Consultancy
Email:	[email-masked]			-=-

---

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:29:12 -0700

> I cannot figure out how this would be possible.

<snip>

> If anyone has an idea of what I might try, I'd be really happy

It seems there is nothing wrong with your afpd.conf setup. Are you seeing 
the correct shares/directories once connected?

atalkd.conf should be populated by zone information and so on. Is there an 
AppleTalk router on your network? what are the zone names and cable ranges?
  Are there multiple zones on one wire? That would certainly explain the 
intermittent problems you are experiencing, if you haven't specified a 
default zone. does nbplkup work?

Also, what network card are you using? AppleTalk makes extensive use of 
multicasts, and some cards/drivers don't handle this well and require 
kernel options to work correctly with AppleTalk. I seem to remember the 
Intel EtherExpress being particularly problematic.