Subject: Disconnections

From: "Matt Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 11:43:36 -0500

Users are being disconnected from the Netatalk server

BSD 4.4  
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3_1
atalkd not running, IP connections only.

Workstations are 8.6, 9.04 and 9.21 in a Macintosh Manager
environment.

The disconnects seem to occur when the user is doing a large write
(possibly a read as well) to the server.  

The kernal log displays the error

> Nov  6 10:11:46 crombie afpd[92854]: afp_alarm: child timed out
> Nov  6 10:11:53 crombie afpd[92715]: dsi_stream_read(-1): Connection
reset by peer
> Nov  6 10:11:53 crombie afpd[92715]: dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe
> Nov  6 10:11:53 crombie afpd[92715]: dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe
> Nov  6 10:14:58 crombie afpd[92832]: afp_alarm: child timed out

I'm not sure if the child time out is before or after the process dies,
and it may not be related as the pattern is not absolute.  The three
dsi_stream errors are always in sequence.

Here's the hard part, I can't upgrade to a newer version of netatalk
because of an incompatability with Inspiration.

Thoughts?  I've scanned the listserv archives and couldn't find
anything.

****************************************
Matt Smith - Network Analyst - Arlington Public Schools
"I have found that most people are about as happy as they make
up their minds to be" - Lincoln
****************************************