Subject: weird problems

From: "Flint Million (netatalk)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 21:43:03 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

I'm using Netatalk in a school situation to allow an entire class
(approx. 30 students) to access a single shared directory on my Linux
server. Here's the problem: When more than a couple users have connected,
many users start experiencing strange problems including:

* inability to access any file (Finder reports "file could not be found")
* inability to make any new folders (Finder says "can't make new folder
because folder (name of current folder) couldn't be found")
* disappearing folders (new folder created, attempting to rename, folder
disappears while renaming, after which new folder cannot be created (see
above))
* inability to trash items (Finder reports cannot find item)

The ability to see the files in the folders never disappears. It is
accessing those files that causes problems. The above noted issues happen
anywhere within the shared folder.

All permissions appear to be set correctly: the user has full write access
to the shared folder and all fiels in it are created with the same
permissions.

For the record, we're using an AppleScript script that connects to the
server using *AppleTalk* and not TCP/IP, if that has anything to do with
it. I can easily modify the script to work over TCP/IP which I probably
will try. Think this might be the prob?? 

I also should note that it will happen suddenly. For many users, the
system will work fine for a few minutes, and then suddenly start acting
weird. 

Running Kernel 2.4.9 and netatalk 1.5pre5 on a PII-350 on an Ethernet
network. (Red Hat 7.0) These things also happened with 1.4+asun2.1.4 which
I "downgraded" to for testing purposes.

Any help appreciated, if more details needed please let me know

--Flint Million
[email-masked] (custom mailing list address)
Please direct all unrelated personal correspondence to
[email-masked]