Subject: Trouble logging in

From: "Mike Soong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:58:14 +0800

> Please help as I'm stuck. I have not compile the netatalk in the kernel 
> as i think i dont really need an appletalk . An AppleShare IP would => be suffient for me to work on. So the problem arises when i try to log => in as real users, they will give me an error message taht tell me that => the password that I enteris incorrect. I have set shadow password in => /pathto/netatalk/etc/afpd/Makefile but it still doesn't seem to work. = 
> can only log in as guest and not valid users. Please advice me on this => ASAP.
> 
> Thank you
>

*******************************************************************************************************
All e-mails originating from financialzoo have been scanned for 
known viruses using MailScan version 2.

This email (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the individual or entity
named above and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If you are
not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution or copying of
this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, or, being the
intended recipient, you do not receive the entirety of this email, please notify us
immediately by telephone at +603-7957 9622 or by return e-mail.
 
WARNING: This email has not been encrypted or transmitted via a secure link, and is
subject to the usual hazards of Internet communication. We do not guarantee the
inviolability or integrity of the contents of this email, nor do we guarantee that there has
been no unauthorised interception or modification of this email whilst in transit. Whilst
every effort has been made to ensure that this email is free from computer viruses and
other malicious code, we are unable to accept responsibility for any loss or damage
caused by or attributable to any such malicious code attached to or infecting this email.
*******************************************************************************************************

---

From: Carsten Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 18:31:34 +0100

> > can only log in as guest and not valid users. Please advice me on this => ASAP.

----------------------------------------
Content-Type: text/html; name="unnamed"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Description: 
----------------------------------------

Could you please post plain text, exclusively!?
Your mail just wastes harddisk space, time, and bandwidth of Mail exchangers, list subscribers and
their providers.

I also can see only quoted text in your mail.
What is that all about?

And please wrap your text at some reasonable margin.

Thank you

	Carsten

---

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 12:24:39 -0800

> as i think i dont really need an appletalk . An AppleShare IP would => be
suffient for me to work on. So the problem arises when i try to log => in as
real users, they will give me an error message taht tell me that => the
password that I enteris incorrect. I have set shadow password in =>
/pathto/netatalk/etc/afpd/Makefile but it still doesn't seem to work. =
> can only log in as guest and not valid users. Please advice me on this =>
ASAP.

Hi Mike,

Have you tried an alternative authentication method like PAM or passwd to
see if you can get it working at all? What flavor of Linux are you running
this on?

Steve