Subject: Users unable to delete files

From: "Davenport, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 09:20:12 -0800

I have a number of users unable to delete files that should be able to
delete based on the Unix permissions, however the operation fails with
the following error message.

"you cannot trash this because you do
 not have access privileges"

Netatalk version is 1.5pre2-6  running on a 2.4.3-12 Linux Kernel

Any Ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe Davenport

---

From: Damien MATTEI <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 13:46:55 +0100

> Any Ideas or help would be appreciated.
is it a share folder, is the file really undeletable or only impossible
to put in in the trash folder? what are exactly the permissions of the
files and directories...

-- 
MATTEI Damien					Phone: +33 (0)4 93 37 76 66
C.N.R.S / U.N.S.A				Fax:   +33 (0)4 93 53 30 71
UMR 6549 Instabilite & Alterations des Genomes	E-mail: [email-masked]
Faculte de Medecine - Avenue de Valombrose - 06107 NICE Cedex 2 - France

---

From: "Davenport, Joe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 09:08:17 -0800

The files and folders involved are 777.  One thing I have done is open
permissions on the
directories under "Network Trash Folder". Unfortunately the user is moving his
office this week and I'm unable to
test this.

Thanks.

---

From: Damien MATTEI <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 18:22:02 +0100

> > to put in in the trash folder? what are exactly the permissions of the
on Network Trash Folder the default permission are rwx--Srwx, all i know
is that on
 my system if i'am deleting files of another user in a shared directory
the files can't go in trash and i am asked to delete them immediately...
-- 
MATTEI Damien					Phone: +33 (0)4 93 37 76 66
C.N.R.S / U.N.S.A				Fax:   +33 (0)4 93 53 30 71
UMR 6549 Instabilite & Alterations des Genomes	E-mail: [email-masked]
Faculte de Medecine - Avenue de Valombrose - 06107 NICE Cedex 2 - France

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 17:03:51 +0100

On Fri, 08 Feb 2002 18:22:02 +0100, Damien MATTEI wrote:

> all i know is that on my system if i'am deleting files of another user in a
> shared directory the files can't go in trash and i am asked to delete them
> immediately...

Then you have a problem with byte range locking and that affects the
functionality of the Network Trash Folder:

    Network Trash Explanation
    
    You will have one network trash folder at the root of every
    sharepoint. Within that folder will be a file called Trash Can Usage
    Map which is used by the Finder on the client machine to claim a Trash
    Can #x folder to use as the trash can for the server volume.
    
    When a client throws a file on a remote volume away the Finder tries
    to get a lock on the first byte of the Trash Can Usage Map if that
    byte is locked, it tries to get a lock on the second byte and so on.
    When it gets the lock it "claims" the corresponding Trash Can folder.
    It then moves the file to be thrown away into its Trash Can folder.
    When the User selects Empty Trash, the Finder will empty its Trash Can
    Folder.
    
    If the client machine breaks the connection via crashing or being
    disconnected, the Trash Can folder will not be emptied. However when a
    client Finder claims a Trash Can folder, it will delete anything that
    was in the folder previously.
|
    (Courtesy Brad Suinn, Apple Computer)

As you are a user of a netatalk RPM, that was probably built with the mtab
DID scheme (nowadays called hash-did), this non-functionality of the Network
Trash is very important to prevent data loss in your situation:

<http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/2000/3251.html> and
<http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/2000/3325.html>

Regards,

Thomas