Subject: new user can't mount shares

From: Gabe Green <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:16:43 -0700 (PDT)

Please pardon me for asking such a seemingly simple question --

Our principal netatalk admin is out on vacation.  What are the proper
steps for getting netatalk to recognize a new user, besides making the
appropriate entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/group?  I added a new user -
samba shares the files fine.  But netatalk (on our Macs) say "wrong
password" when I try to mount the specific share.  any ideas, anyone?  I
tried restarting atalkd, no luck.

thanks,
Gabe

==============================================================================
 gabe green                      University of California at Berkeley
 systems administrator           Residential and Student Service Programs
 [email-masked]    tel: 510-643-6987 fax: 510-643-7278
 2510 Channing Way Suite 10      http://ac.housing.berkeley.edu/
 Berkeley, CA 94720

---

From: Carsten Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 02:37:41 +0200

> tried restarting atalkd, no luck.

In general, restarting only `atalkd' won't help.
When you changed some configurations, you (probably) will need to restart `afpd' also.
`<path-to-your-start-stop-scripts>/atalk restart' should do this.
The real pathname depends on your OS, distribution and version.
But I don't know if this will solve your problem.
Certain older versions of netatalk also had case-sensitivity of user names.
Is your (possible) NIS database up-to-date? (I don't know if netatalk and samba handle this
differently.)
If the problem persists, you have to tell what OS (distribution+version) and netatalk version you
use.

Regards

	Carsten

---

From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:09:40 +1000

I have experienced similar problems here, but only on specific macs. Not
being a mac guru, i think that it's something to do with macs limited
support for encrypted passwords. by default, macs only support unencrypted
passwords shorter than ?? chars. Try using a shorter password, and seeing
how you go. Other than that, update software on the macs, again, no idea how
you might go about this.

YMMV. Worked for me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Carsten Neumann [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, 14 July 2001 10:38
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: new user can't mount shares

In general, restarting only `atalkd' won't help.
When you changed some configurations, you (probably) will need to restart
`afpd' also.
`<path-to-your-start-stop-scripts>/atalk restart' should do this.
The real pathname depends on your OS, distribution and version.
But I don't know if this will solve your problem.
Certain older versions of netatalk also had case-sensitivity of user names.
Is your (possible) NIS database up-to-date? (I don't know if netatalk and
samba handle this
differently.)
If the problem persists, you have to tell what OS (distribution+version) and
netatalk version you
use.

Regards

	Carsten