Subject: MacOS8.6 couldn't connect to Linux File-Server

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 08:33:47 +0100

Hi,

I'm new with netatalk - so I have some problems to connect my two
Macs to a Linux Fileserver.
Linux: Distribution: SUSE 6.2, Kernel 2.2.10, netatalk:
1.4b2+asun2.1.3
Mac: 1 9600, 1 G3; MacOS 8.6

/etc/services
...
rtmp 1/ddp
nbp  2/ddp
echo 4/ddp
zip  6 ddp

afpovertcp   548/tcp
afpovertcp   548/udp

With nbplkup I see a PC and a Fiery RIP which are connected via
PCMACLAN in the Internet but no Mac. The same occurs with
aecho.
I can 'ping' the Macs from the Linux-Fileserver over TCP and 'ping'
the Linux-Fileserver from the Macs. I can also login from the Macs
to the Fileserver via 'telnet' without problems.
When I try to connect the Macs to the Linux-Fileserver from the
Chooser via TCP I get following message (in German):
"Dieser File Server benutzt keine erkennbare Registrierung.
Ueberpruefen Sie den Ordner "AppleShare" im Systemordner und
versuchen Sie es erneut".
In English I think this means: This File Server use no recognizeable
registration. Check "AppleShare" in the system and try it again.
(Please excuse the poor english).

A tcpdump on the File Server at the time when I try to connect the
Macs with the Linux File Server shows the following result:

13:36:52.864135 192.168.0.200.2051 > hei98.eisl.at.afpovertcp: S
1954860032:1954860032(0) win 60032 <mss 1460,wscale 0,eol>
(DF)
13:36:52.864276 hei98.eisl.at.afpovertcp > 192.168.0.200.2051: S
2395527908:2395527908(0) ack 1954860033 win 32120 <mss
1460,nop,wscale 0> (DF)
13:36:52.865683 192.168.0.200.2051 > hei98.eisl.at.afpovertcp: P
1:17(16) ack 1 win 61320 (DF)
13:36:52.865828 hei98.eisl.at.afpovertcp > 192.168.0.200.2051: .
ack 17 win 32120 (DF)
13:36:52.871276 hei98.eisl.at.afpovertcp > 192.168.0.200.2051: P
1:389(388) ack 17 win 32120 (DF)
13:36:52.872607 192.168.0.200.2051 > hei98.eisl.at.afpovertcp: F
17:17(0) ack 389 win 61320 (DF)
13:36:52.872683 hei98.eisl.at.afpovertcp > 192.168.0.200.2051: .
ack 18 win 32120 (DF)
13:36:52.873918 hei98.eisl.at.afpovertcp >
192.168.0.200.2051: F 389:389(0) ack 18 win 32120 (DF)
13:36:52.874443 192.168.0.200.2051 > hei98.eisl.at.afpovertcp: .
ack 390 win 61320 (DF)

Thanks for help
Hans Eisl