Subject: RE: Samba and Netatalk

From: "Campbell, Jacob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 14:08:42 -0800

I have had no problems with doing it.  I replaced an old Novell Server about
1.5 to 2 years ago and I have had no troubles running SMB and Atalk.  It was
more stable, easier to administer, and not a single user noticed the change

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel E. Lautenschleger [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 1:57 PM
To: Netatalk Mailing List
Subject: Samba and Netatalk

Would anyone care to comment on experiences they've had sharing data out
on a volume that was accessed by Netatalk and Samba? Any glitches? No
problem, go ahead and do it, your nuts, dude..., etc...

Thanks. I have a dream that I can take one of our NT file servers and
replace it with a Linux/Samba/Netatalk box. What a fine realization that
would be...

Thanks.
-Dan

---

From: St-Pierre Marc <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:11:07 -0500

We have such a Mac-Samba mix here and the coexistence works nicely. 

On the other hand I had the oportunity to look pretty deep into samba's
mechanisms and I never heard or read about any  "netatalk compatibility"
option though. So personnaly I would say go for it, but make sure of two
things to avoid mac users coming at you complaining about generic icons and
apps not launching:

- first have your .AppleVolumes.system up to date so files coming from a PC
(and without resources fork) are seen properly on macs. The
.AppleVolume.system does that by "telling" files to assume such or such
mac-identity according to their file extension.

-second, you will have to somehow get the mac users into the habit of naming
their files with an extension, so that they are seen properly on windows
stations. And this is not easy, let me tell you that!
> ----------
> From: 	Marc J. Miller
> Sent: 	Wednesday, March 7, 2001 11:46 AM
> To: 	Tihen; Daniel E. Lautenschleger
> Cc: 	Netatalk Mailing List
> Subject: 	Re: Samba and Netatalk
> 
> There is some sort of enable-netatalk-compatibility (or something similar 
> to that) option in Samba which is supposed to, I repeat *supposed to* make
> 
> it easier for netatalk to understand the file types.  But I've never tried
> 
> it and I've heard some say that it doesn't work and they can't figure out 
> what that feature is supposed to be for.  Might be worth investigating,
> though.
> 
> At 02:54 PM 3/7/01 +0100, Tihen wrote:
> >I have had only minor problems -- if someone uses both sometimes the Mac
> >has a hard time reconizing what the files are.  But I think the solution
> >is to update the AppleVolumes (or something like that).
> >
> >I recommend -- "Go ahead [make my day]."
> >
> >Bill
> >
> >On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Daniel E. Lautenschleger wrote:
> >