Subject: How can check the kernel support appletalk protocol ?

From: Lam Quoc Thanh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 18:47:29 +0700

Hi all,

I have just built a kernel 2.2.14 for powerpc support appletalk 
protocol. I can insmod appletalk.o successfully.
I ran atalkd daemon and run nmblkup program, it prints out windows 
appleshare PC name but i can't find apple PC share name.When i run 
nmblkup on Linux Redhat7.2, I can see apple PC share name. I don't know 
what my problem.
How can I check my kernel support appletalk protocol absolutely ?

Thanks for all.
Tony

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 13:00:13 +0100

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 06:46:04 -0500 (EST), Lam Quoc Thanh wrote:

> I have just built a kernel 2.2.14 for powerpc support appletalk protocol. I
> can insmod appletalk.o successfully.

I believe, you speak about Linux?

> I ran atalkd daemon and run nmblkup program,

What program? In netatalk exists nbplkup (NBP -- Name Binding Protocol --
Lookup --> <http://www.protocols.com/pbook/appletalk.htm>), to watch your
AppleTalk Devices. Try 'man nbplkup' for details...

Please do not confuse this with NetBIOS and the associated tool from the
samba projekt: nmblookup -- NetBIOS over TCP/IP client used to lookup
NetBIOS names.

> it prints out windows appleshare PC name but i can't find apple PC share
> name.When i run nmblkup on Linux Redhat7.2, I can see apple PC share name.
> I don't know what my problem.

Maybe you confuse AppleTalk with NetBIOS?

> How can I check my kernel support appletalk protocol absolutely?

Try 'ifconfig' and look whether there exists a line "EtherTalk" below the
interfaces, you configured appletalk to run on (atalkd.conf).

You might want to have a look at this tutorial too:
<http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-04/lw-04-uptime.html>

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Michael Vanecek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 11:41:50 -0600

Where do I find the ppd's for my LaserJet 4MP printer? I've installed 
the RPM version of netatalk - 1.5pre5-1, and there's no 
/usr/local/atalk/etc/somthing.ppd, or reference to any ppd directory in 
the RPM manager. The printer is my basic HP laser printer running just 
fine on lp0 as lp and also through Samba so my wife can print from her 
Win32 infested box. From the way it looks all I need to do is put an 
entry into the pap.conf for the printer, and get the ppd and have a 
printer I can print to from my iMac.

Also, is there an updated .spec file available for the latest release so 
I can make a new RPM?

Thanks,
Mike

-- 
http://dotfile.net/ - Dedicated to Open Source Software

---

From: Mac Conin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 19:04:49 +0100

You can find the latest ppd's at

http://www.adobe.com/products/printerdrivers/main.html

or at hp's homepage

PPD's are plain ASCII Files containing a description of the capabilities
of that postscript printer.
(can it handle color, kind of paper, trays).

you can easily adapt these files to your needs :)

-- 

mit freundlichen grüssen

____________________________________________________________

Mac Conin                        Taubengasse 9
                                 D 50676 Koeln

---

From: Michael Vanecek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 13:33:22 -0600

You are my hero. I had no idea how easy it was. The documentation made 
it look harder than heck.

All I did was put this in my papd.conf:

HP 4MP:\
	:pr=lp:\
	:pd=/etc/atalk/printer/HP4MP6_1.PPD:

Then I downloaded the Microsoft version of the ppd files from the 
recommended website for HP (tried the Mac version, but the files had 
lots of funny characters in it - wish unstuff would account for that), 
copied the appropriate ppd file to the appropriate dir, ran 
/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk restart, waited a couple of minutes for it to 
finish and ran nbplkup and there amongst the other Appletalk stuff was 
the trusty HP 4MP. The test page printed without a hitch. Gotta love Linux!

BTW - never did figure out why the .Appletalk directory creates files 
with zero permissions. When I manually change the permissions for a file 
and delete the 0k file in the target directory, I can copy just fine. 
What makes atalk set zero permissions like that? It effectively makes it 
read only - but I don't have that specified in my defaults file or any 
of the conf files.

Also, anyone sporting a fresh spec for RH 6.2 and 7.1?

Thanks again for your help.
Mike

---

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 16:47:44 -0500

>You are my hero. I had no idea how easy it was. The documentation 
>made it look harder than heck.
>
>lots of funny characters in it - wish unstuff would account for 
>that), copied the

^M ???

>appropriate ppd file to the appropriate dir, ran 
>finish and ran nbplkup and there amongst the other Appletalk stuff 
>was the trusty HP 4MP. The test page printed without a hitch. Gotta 
>love Linux!

About the same thing. Here's mine

# /etc/printcap
#
# Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are doing!
# Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict format!
# Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
#
# This file can be edited with the printtool in the control-panel.

##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE ljet4 300x300 letter {} LaserJet4 Default 1
lp:\
         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
         :mx#0:\
         :sh:\
         :rm=192.168.n.n:\
         :rp=:\
         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

I suppose your is in papd.conf? Mine was in /etc/printcap. I had one 
for PDFs in an earlier version of netatalk:

PDFd:\
         :pr=lp:op=root:\
         :pd=/etc/atalk/mtr1120.ppd\:

-Wes Yates

-- 

-Wes Yates
[email-masked]
wesyates.homeip.net

root$ rm -rf /bin/laden

---

From: Michael Vanecek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 17:38:35 -0600

Wes Yates wrote:

>> copied the

not sure what ^M means - but I have Alladin's Stuffit (the unstuffer 
version) installed on Linux so I can unpack files here too like 
documentation that I don't want cluttering up the Mac. I thought since I 
was using the Mac to print I'd get the mac PPD's. Dumb me. Microsoft 
PPD's worked fine. Be nice if they had Linux PPD's, but then that'd be 
redundant, wouldn't it... :)

> I suppose your is in papd.conf? Mine was in /etc/printcap. I had one for 
> PDFs in an earlier version of netatalk:
> 
> PDFd:\
>         :pr=lp:op=root:\

Well, the princap on mine is fine. Linux and the networked Windows 
computers have no problem at all printing to it. It's just that the 
documentation on setting up printers and the articles were a little, 
well, too detailed and a little confusing. It was hard to tell when it 
was talking about a locally attached Linux based printer using plain ol' 
lp and a Laserwriter. Needless to say, setting up the Linux based 
printer so the Mac can print on it is obscenely easy and now the Mac 
prints flawlessly. I just built and installed netatalk 1.5 using the 
kindly supplied .spec file and it works without a hitch - and hey - I 
can actually copy files to my server without problems. The files in 
.Appledouble are now being given permissions. Since I'm using the same 
config files, I guess it was a bug in one of the pre's I was using. 
Thanks for fixing it guys - I'm a happy camper now...

Cheers,

Mike

---

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 17:01:03 -0500

>nmblkup on Linux Redhat7.2, I can see apple PC share name. I don't 
>know what my problem.

I use 'dmesg | grep -i apple'

it usually returns:

wyates@iserver $ dmesg | grep -i apple
NET4: AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0

My appletalk is buit into the kernel.

-Wes Yates

-- 

-Wes Yates
[email-masked]
wesyates.homeip.net

"Of course, you realize this means war."
-B. Bunny

---

From: Sébastien CRAMATTE <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:38:39 +0100

Hi,

Does anyone could tell me how can I mount remote macintosh file system on my
Linux+Netatalk Box.
I've got a DAT backup device installed on my Linux box and I need to get
files directly from Macintosh (MAC-OS 8.x,9.x) Workstation

This the UNAME of my Server Box : Linux fileserver 2.4.3-20mdk
The version of installed on is netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk

Thanks for you help

Bye

Sébastien

---

From: Christian Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:16:49 +0100

>  The version of installed on is netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk

Well - you've got netatalk nstalled. Why don't you proceed as follows?
- Use netatalk to share a Linux directory to your to-be-backupped Mac.
- Copy all the data you want to backup into this shared directory
- Backup this directory on your DAT.

IMHO mounting the Mac's volume on your Linux Server would be much 
more complicated.

Yours,
Christian
-- 
Christian Schmidt
[email-masked]

---

From: Simon Hobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:21:45 +0000

>not sure what ^M means

^M is ctrl-M (or ASCII Carriage Return) which the Mac uses for it's line
endings, Unix/Linux uses just ^J or ASCII Line Feed, DOS/Windoze uses CR-LF
or ^J^M.

>I thought since I
>PPD's worked fine.

The Mac and Windows PPDs are the saem except for a couple of minor points :

1) Line endings (CR-LF vs CR as above)

2) File name may be slightly different

3) The Mac version may be parcelled up with some Mac resources that make it
appear with an Icon

In general, if you take care of the line endings they are interchangeable.

Simon

-
Simon Hobson, Technical Services Engineer
Colony Gift Corporation Limited
Lindal in Furness, Ulverston, Cumbria, LA12 0LD
Tel 01229 461100, Fax 01229 461101

Registered in England No. 1499611
Regd. Office : 100 New Bridge Street, London, EC4V 6JA.

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:54:01 +0100

> Does anyone could tell me how can I mount remote macintosh file system on my

If you want your linux box to be an afp client, then it has nothing to do
with netatalk (only the afp server part).

Take a look at <http://www.panix.com/~dfoster/afpfs/>. But the project seems
to be dead (limited to 2.1/2.2 kernels, too) and many reported that your box
will likely crash if you use these modules.

Regards,

Thomas

BTW: MOSX has a built-in command for this purpose (/sbin/mount_afp). But
    unfortunately no tape-device drivers exist, so this isn't a solution
    either.