Subject: The item "..." cannot be written, because it is locked.

From: John G Dorsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:06:00 -0500

Hello,

I'm running netatalk 1.5pre4 on a Linux box, with a MacOS 9.0.4 client. I've
observed that I can create directories in volumes mounted from the Linux box
on the MacOS client, but when I attempt to copy a file from the client to
the mounted volume, I get:

  The item "<filename>" cannot be written, because it is locked.
  Do you want to continue?

In perusing the archives of this list, I've come across several references
to incorrect permissions, particularly on the .AppleDouble directory. I
haven't had much luck in choosing various owners, groups, and modes for the
files and directories which are being exported. (Even mode 777 doesn't seem
to change anything.) The most recent traffic to this effect in the web
archive appears to be from 15 Jan 2001, but I don't think there was a
resolution posted.

May I ask for suggestions as to likely culprits?

Thanks!
-jd

---

From: "Bruce A. Burdick, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:14:29 -0600

I have this same issue on 1.5pre5 on a LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 PowerMac 7300
(binary built with rpm --rebuild, then installed with rpm -i). Additionally,
copying files to the server creates an empty file despite the warning. And
deleting files results in a privileges warning -- but the files trash
anyway. And emptying the trash does not succeed. But dismounting and
remounting the volume, after such a sequence, shows the files were indeed
deleted. _But_ not for directories containing (empty) files: the files must
be trashed first (producing the false warnings) and then the empty directory
may be trashed.

The good news: I can now do encrypted logins! Can't wait until the rest
works smoothly. Keep up the good work fellas!

-B...

> From: John G Dorsey <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:06:00 -0500
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: The item "..." cannot be written, because it is locked.
> Resent-From: [email-masked]
> Resent-Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 16:17:35 -0500 (EST)
> 
> Hello,
>

---

From: "Bruce A. Burdick, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:23:29 -0600

My home directory:

drwx------   17 userme   userme       4096 Mar 14 01:03 .
drwxr-xr-x    6 root     root         4096 Mar  6 11:28 ..
drwx------    2 userme   userme       4096 Mar 14 01:00 .AppleDouble
-rw-------    1 userme   userme          0 Mar  6 12:05 .ICEauthority
drwxr-xr-x    6 userme   userme       4096 Mar  6 11:28 Desktop
drwx--Srwx    6 userme   userme       4096 Mar 14 01:03 Network Trash Folder
drwxrwsrwx    3 userme   userme       4096 Mar 14 00:41
TheVolumeSettingsFolder
drwx------    3 userme   userme       4096 Mar  6 11:59 nsmail

-B...

> From: Bruce A. Burdick, Jr. <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:14:29 -0600
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: The item "..." cannot be written, because it is locked.
> 
> I have this same issue on 1.5pre5 on a LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 PowerMac 7300 (binary
> built with rpm --rebuild, then installed with rpm -i). Additionally, copying
> files to the server creates an empty file despite the warning. And deleting
> files results in a privileges warning -- but the files trash anyway. And
> emptying the trash does not succeed. But dismounting and remounting the
> volume, after such a sequence, shows the files were indeed deleted. _But_ not
> for directories containing (empty) files: the files must be trashed first
> (producing the false warnings) and then the empty directory may be trashed.
> 
> The good news: I can now do encrypted logins! Can't wait until the rest works
> smoothly. Keep up the good work fellas!
> 
> -B...
>

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:13:57 -0500

That's *exactly* the same problem that I'm having.  A popup 
Message gives me a permission error but then a file with 0 bytes is 
created.

	I *know* my permissions are right because I have the same 
setup on a machine running Netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.1 (the distro we 
had before the coup and move to Sourceforge).

	I'm just glad that I didn't test this out on a production 
machine - I would have been fired if all of my users suddenly 
couldn't drop and use files.

	Is the solution to this to keep going backwards in releases 
until we reach one that works well with the file permissions?

	Ryan

> (binary

__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
__________________________________
The secret to not getting burned out is to play at
working hard, and not taking things too seriously.
- Linus Torvalds

---

From: "Chad Leigh, Objectwerks, Inc." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:59:55 -0500

Just for the record, the same happened to me on FreeBSD 4.2 intel with this 
release...

--On Wednesday, March 14, 2001 1:14 AM -0600 "Bruce A. Burdick, Jr." 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> (binary built with rpm --rebuild, then installed with rpm -i).
> Additionally, copying files to the server creates an empty file despite
> the warning. And deleting files results in a privileges warning -- but
> the files trash anyway. And emptying the trash does not succeed. But
> dismounting and remounting the volume, after such a sequence, shows the
> files were indeed deleted. _But_ not for directories containing (empty)
> files: the files must be trashed first (producing the false warnings) and
> then the empty directory may be trashed.
>

---

From: Norman tenBroek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 02:53:23 -0500

> > then the empty directory may be trashed.

More for the record:
I'm having the same problem on both redhat7.0 and SuSE 7.1 intel. Neither are 
production.
-- 
Norman tenBroek
Systems Manager
Dept. of Molecular Biology
Mass. General Hospital