Subject: SUSE 7.3 & Netatalk

From: zio Luca <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:21:06 +0200

I am running a Netatalk fileserver with Suse 7.3. The Netatalk installed
version is 1.4.99-104. I have two hard disk: hda has 4 partitions reiserfs
(/, /usr, /home and /var). hdc has 1 reiserfs partitions (/archivio) on
which resides 2 shared folder and 1 partition ext2 (/varie) on which resides
2 shared folder.
Hereafter I write the working lines (aka non commented with #) of the
configuration files:

atalkd.conf
eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.222

afpd.conf
"Server Linux" -uamlist uams_guest.so,uams_clrtxt.so,uams_dhx.so

AppleVolumes.default
/archivio/2002 "archivio 2002"
/archivio/parkeggio "parcheggio grandi lavori"
/home/monday "Archivio storico"
/varie/backup "backup PG"
/varie/commerciali "fax e PG"

The problem is that only when I log to "Server Linux" for access the folder
"fax e PG" the Chooser on the Apple side works fine.
If I try to access any other folder the Chooser hangs up and I have to force
its closure. After this when I try to use Chooser the Chooser refuses to
work and I have to force its closure or even reboot the system.
I have two principal suspects: the 1.4.99 version of Netatalk runs bad or
the Reiser filesystem is incompatible with Netatalk.
Someone can help me?

Thanks

Luca Bramardi

---

From: Deano! <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Jan 2002 13:49:54 -0800

Just a refresher, please, as I can't find it in any of the FAQs online:

What combination of Netatalk and MacOS is needed to properly see
unix/windows long filename files (greater than 32 chars)? I don't need
to see the full names, per se, I'd just like files with long names to
not* disappear under netatalk. Is this only on OS X, or are there other
options?

-deano

---

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:31:44 -0800

I don't believe that there is currently any way for long filenames to be
viewable my MacOS from Netatalk at this time. However, this feature is
slated for inclusion for 1.6.

Steve

> From: Deano! <[email-masked]>
> Date: 16 Jan 2002 13:49:54 -0800
> To: umich <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Long file names and Netatalk
> Resent-From: [email-masked]
> Resent-Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:56:11 -0500 (EST)
>

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 00:31:39 +0100

Ciao Luca,

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 22:21:06 +0200, uncle Luca wrote:

> I am running a Netatalk fileserver with Suse 7.3.

IIRC, this version is built with --enabled-cnid. So every change you make on
the linux side will have bad effects on your afp filesharing capabilities.

> I have two principal suspects: the 1.4.99 version of Netatalk runs bad

I wouldn't pronounce it "bad" -- only strange.

Are there any messages in syslog when this occurs?

> or the Reiser filesystem is incompatible with Netatalk.

No, definitely not.

> Someone can help me?

Maybe you are running into problems with the new ID scheme called CNID
(a really database-driven solution for persistant file and folder IDs).

You should try out netatalk 1.5.1.1 or use the RPMs, supplied by Olaf from
SuSE: <ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/olh/netatalk/>

Buona giornata,

Thomas

---

From: zio Luca <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 21:21:52 +0200

Il giorno 17-01-2002 1:31, Thomas Kaiser, [email-masked] ha

> SuSE: <ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/olh/netatalk/>
Where can I find netatalk 1.5.1.1?

Many thanks.

Luca Bramardi

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 01:35:40 +0100

> Where can I find netatalk 1.5.1.1?

<http://me.in-berlin.de/~jroger/netatalk/>

Best regards,

Thomas