Subject: Doc comtribution

From: Chris Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:37:21 +1000 (EST)

Hi

Hope this isn't too presumptuous, but I'd like to make a contribution to
the netatalk-1.5pre6 documentation, and someone suggested that this was
the appropriate email address. Since the changes to the existing
files are not too extensive there is no need to include my name in any
credits, assuming you accept them. The attached tar file contains
o a modified INSTALL
o a modified README
o a modified doc/README.LINUX
o a modified doc/README.SOLARIS
o doc/CONFIGURE - this replaces the latter part of doc/INSTALL.txt
o doc/DEVELOPER - this replaces doc/README

Part of the motivation for these changes is that the current documentation
has some files with similar purposes. INSTALL, doc/INSTALL.txt
and doc/README all have some installation instructions. A lot of this
information is duplicated, some is similar with slight differences, and some
is wrong - for example doc/README states that autoconf, automake and libtool
are required and doc/INSTALL.txt states that autoconf and automake are
prerequisites and that libtool is only needed by developers. None of these
programs is needed for a basic installation.

Anyway, if you decide to use the attached files, please remove doc/INSTALL.txt
and doc/README. The purpose of these files is to consolidate information into
single files on a given subject where it is easy to find, not to increase the
number of files containing duplicated information. :-)

Chris Blake                                 N.M.R. Centre,
phone 61 2  612-58074                       Research School of Chemistry,
fax   61 2  612-50750                       Australian National University,
email [email-masked]                Canberra, ACT 0200

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 19:06:41 +0200

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 09:37:21AM +1000, Chris Blake wrote:

> the appropriate email address.

A better place is [email-masked], as this is
the development related mailing list.

> o a modified INSTALL

INSTALL is a default file, provided by automake. It will be overwritten
by subsequent automake calls. Therefore I stripped out the parts
provided by automake and called this file doc/INSTALL.

> o a modified README

Modified to match the change above.

> o a modified doc/README.SOLARIS

I have stripped out the umich address at the end of these files.

> o doc/DEVELOPER - this replaces doc/README

Thanks a lot for your contribution,

 - Sebastian