Subject: Server not appearing in Chooser

From: "Desmond Lim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:54:46 +0800

Hello everyone,

I have 2 questions about netatalk at the moment:

1) When I open Chooser from a MAC OS 8.5 machine, the Linux server named
"chino" is not there. I had to type in the IP address of the Linux server to
get connected. Is there anyway to make the server name appear in the Chooser
directly?

2) This is the scenerio. For example, I have a share called "Yuppies" on the
server. When a user connects to the server, the user selects the share
"Yuppies". But somehow or rather the connection is always made to the home
directory first even though it is not selected. The user had to reconnect to
the server and select the share "Yuppies" again before he can successfully
connect to this share. Is there anyway to connect to the selected share only
without touching the home directory?

warmest regards,

Desmond Lim
System Administrator
http://www.kikuze.com/

A&P Co-ordinator Pte Ltd
6 Aljunied Ave 3 #01-02
Singapore 389932

Tel: 7460188#322
Fax: 7462550
HP: 94525736

---

From: Carsten Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:43:41 +0200

> get connected. Is there anyway to make the server name appear in the Chooser

Have you properly setup netatalk for DDP connections?
I think DDP is still necessary for NBP.
Are the DDP ports in your /etc/services?
What does netatalk write into your /var/log/messages when it starts up?
What does `nbplkup' on your linux-box tell?

> without touching the home directory?

What do you call a "share"?
If you want to make a directory accessible for all users you have to put it into your
AppleVolumes.default.
Then you can select it directly from a volumes list after you've logged in.

> HP: 94525736

Best regards

	Carsten