Subject: Can I use netatalk with OSX?

From: Ian Hitchman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 15:03:04 +0100 (BST)

Dear netatalk,

Is there a version of netatalk that works with OSX. The best I can manage
is a 1.5-pre-7 con-fig that gives me an error "The operation cannot be
completed...required items could not be found. (Error code -43) on a file
download.

All the best,

Ian.

---

From: Steven Karel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 11:16:20 -0400 (EDT)

1.5pre7 worked for me configuring either with

 --prefix=/usr/local/atalk --enable-redhat --with-tcp-wrappers
--with-flock-locks --with-shadow --with-did=last

or

 --prefix=/usr/local/atalk --enable-redhat --with-tcp-wrappers
--with-flock-locks --with-shadow --enable-cnid-db

(the latter gave fewer errors in transferring large numbers of files, but
is "experimental").

If you that doesn't help, please post more details of your server OS and
configuration...

steven

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Ian

-- 
Steven Karel, Ph.D.
Biology Department, Brandeis Univ, MS 008
415 South St Waltham MA 02454-9110
TEL 781 736 3104   FAX 781 736 3107

---

From: Rory Campbell-Lange <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:57:15 +0100

I'm running netatalk (1.5pre6) on Debian 2.2. Sometimes my users get an
error "an appleshare system error occured" when trying to connect to the
server, with a log message that there are too many connections.

I have set AFPD_MAX_CLIENTS=300 in netatalk.conf. I typically have 50
server connections.

Thanks for any help.
Rory

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 01:55:07 +0200

> I have set AFPD_MAX_CLIENTS=300 in netatalk.conf. I typically have 50

The netatalk.conf file is not used by the Debian init script. I
removed it in newer versions of the Debian package. Please try
to set the "-c 300" option in the init script.

 - Sebastian

---

From: Ian Hitchman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:45:34 +0100 (BST)

Sorry still no joy. Any suggestions?

Ian.

System redhat 7.1 kernel 2.4.7 i686
netatalk-1.5pre7
./configure  --prefix=/usr/local/atalk \
--enable-redhat \
--with-tcp-wrappers \
--with-flock-locks \
--with-shadow \
--with-did=last
Mac OSX 10.0.4(Build 4Q12)

When trying to copy files to the OSX box I get a -43 error "one or more of
the items could not be found". I have created a symbolic link from
/etc/netatalk to /usr/local/atalk/etc/ as the system appears to want
a /etc/netatalk/netatalk dir.

---

From: Steven Karel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 09:15:20 -0400 (EDT)

> a /etc/netatalk/netatalk dir.

error -43 is the error I used to get with previous versions. That, and the
bit about /etc/netatalk, suggest to me that maybe you have old versions of
netatalk hanging about on your computer that are getting launched?

I'd do a "make clean" in the netatalk folder before reconfiguring (or even
just untar a clean copy) and also search my computer for old copy of afpd,
atalkd, and friends and expunge those.

If that doesn't help, e-mail the netatalk-devel list and/or file a bug
report at http://netatalk.sourceforge.net

steven

---

From: Ian Hitchman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:51:32 +0100 (BST)

Thanks for all the help. I deleted my old copy which is as good as make
clean and it works.

Big Thanks,

Ian

---

From: Henry Gripp Zeringue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 22:09:55 -0500 (CDT)

For what it's worth: I installed a prerelease of OSX 10.1 (the 5G48 build)
and it seems to work pretty well with netatalk. I could never get 10.0.4
to work, nor a previous build (5G27), but this one seems to copy file and
directory structures fine.

Server: RedHat 6.1 (i386)
	netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7 (rpm I found off of rpmfind.net)

Client: Mac OSX 10.1 (5G48)

-gripp
-- 
---------------------------------------------
Henry 'Gripp' Zeringue	Home:	(608)260-8098
Biomedical Engineering	Mobile:	(608)239-2168
1410 Engineering Dr.	Office:	(608)262-8212
Madison, WI 53706-1608	Lab:	(608)262-3013
[email-masked]	Fax:	(608)265-9239
---------------------------------------------