Subject: problem installing netatalk

From: "Wagner Fontes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:44:46 -0100

Hi,

I'm trying to install netatalk on a Linux Mandrake 7.2, but it did not work.
First I've tried to install an older version and got these messages:

[root@SERVER /root]# rpm -i /var/lib/rpm/netatalk-1.4b2asun2.1.3-6.i386.rpm
warning: The DDP services appear to be present in /etc/services.
warning: Please check them against services.atalk in the documentation.
[root@SERVER /root]#

then I tested it, and it did not work as you can see below:

[root@SERVER init.d]# ./atalk status
atalkd is stopped
[root@SERVER init.d]# ./atalk start
Starting AppleTalk services: (backgrounded)
[root@SERVER init.d]# ./atalk status
atalkd is stopped
[root@SERVER init.d]#

Then I've tried a newer version (netatalk-1.5pre2-6.i386.rpm) from the
RedHat 7.1 CD, but could'n even install it. See the error messages below:

[root@SERVER /root]# cd /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS
[root@SERVER RPMS]# rpm -ivh netatalk*
error: failed dependencies:
	libcrypto.so.1   is needed by netatalk-1.5pre2-6
	libdb-3.1.so   is needed by netatalk-1.5pre2-6

Last thing I tried was to uninstall and install a new downloaded one
(netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk.i586.rpm) - I guess the "mdk" in the file name has
something to do with "Mandrake"...
Anyway, it did not work, because when trying to uninstall the previous, the
RPM gives me the message that the package is not installed and when trying
to "RPM -ivh" the new version, it gives me the message that the package is
already installed...

[root@SERVER rpm]# rpm -ivh netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk.i586.rpm
package netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk is already installed
[root@SERVER rpm]# rpm -e netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk.i586.rpm
error: package netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk.i586.rpm is not installed
[root@SERVER rpm]# rpm -U netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk.i586.rpm
package netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk is already installed

I think I'm doing something stupid, but don't know what.

What should I do to get netatalk working?

Thanks,
Wagner.

*******************************************************************
 Prof.Dr.Wagner Fontes
                          mailto:[email-masked]
                          ICQ 8451728
                          http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/6544/
 Centro Brasileiro de Servicos e Pesquisas em Proteinas - CBSP
                          http://www.unb.br/cbsp/
*******************************************************************

---

From: Nigel Pegram <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 09:07:26 +1000

> libdb-3.1.so   is needed by netatalk-1.5pre2-6

This looks like you need to install these packages. This may also be the
reason that netatalk is not running, although this is an assumption on my
part.

> What should I do to get netatalk working?

I use Debian, rather than redhat, but have had the situation where a
partially installed package would not let me reinstall or remove it. If I
remember correctly I had to use an option to allow me to force a downgrade
to allow me to install a working earlier version of the package over the
broken later one. You might want to look at the package tools documentation
to see how to deal with such a problem, get the dependencies sorted out and
then reinstall

HTH
Nigel.

---

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 19:19:55 -0700

This is really an RPM problem, but I spent much more time thatn I should
have realising that to uninstall a package using rpm, you must use the
package name, and not the name of the file containing the package, ie:

rpm --erase netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk

and not 

rpm --erase netatalk-1.5pre6-1mdk.i586.rpm

Of course, it is still possible to find yourself is a situation where
you get 'is already installed' when you try to install and 'is not
installed' when you try to uninstall. Then try to rebuild your rpm
database, or the --force option.

Wagner Fontes wrote:
<snip>