Subject: atalkd.conf is invincible

From: "Ed McMan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 17:56:33 -0400

I am trying to setup atalkd, however, atalkd.conf does not want to
stay configured!  I have the following in my atalkd.conf when I
start:
eth0 -net 123 -addr 123.1 -zone Testing

and, a while after I start atalkd:

eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 123.1

Seems like it's trying to autoconfigure.. but there is a config file
there.  Any idea on how to stop it?

- -------------------------------------------------------------
|   Eddie J Schwartz <[email-masked]> http://www.m00.net   |
|     AIM: The Cypher ICQ: 35576339 PGP ID: 0x96CDDED4      |
| "We Trills have an expression--at forty, you think you    |
| know everything.  At four hundred, you realize you know   |
|         nothing." - Dax, Star Trek Deep Space 9           |
- -------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 00:39:33 +0200

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001 17:56:33 -0400, Ed McMan wrote:

> I have the following in my atalkd.conf when I
> start:

You want netatalk to become an AppleTalk Router? First of all you need more
than one interface. And if you want to let Netatalk play the role of a seed
router, you have to supply the switch "-seed" also. So in your example:

    eth0 -seed -net 123 -addr 123.1 -zone Testing

But there is still another interface missing. So you might try the switch
"-router" also:

    eth0 -router -seed -net 123 -addr 123.1 -zone Testing

And it will be a good idea to use a node number higher than 127 (Apple
recommends this for afp servers) and a wider netrange, so your macs can
assign themselves faster an AppleTalk address, which will speed up starting
times:

    eth0 -router -seed -net 123-222 -addr 222.128 -zone Testing

> eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 123.1

Normal behaviour if Netatalk doesn't act like an AppleTalk seed router. ;-)

Regards,

Thomas