Subject: Re: netatalk compatible utilities

From: Joe Rhodes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:28:22 -0800 (PST)

>  > > A thought has just occured to me - how has Apple handled this with
MacOS
>  > > X ? I presume they've built a filesystem with integrated metadata.
>  > 
>  > That's exactly what they did, it's just that Apple built that
>  > filesystem long ago:  regular old HFS+ is what OS X uses for files that
X
>  beta testers - what does the cp command do if you cp a file on a HFS+
>  partition a) to a HFS+ partition b) to a UFS partition ?
>  
------------------

Not in front of my OS X beta box at the moment, but I did my OS install on a
UFS partitioin.  You can save, open, modify files directly to and from the
UFS partition, and icons SEEM to stay intact.   How it handles resource
forks is beyond me.

One thing of interest I did note:  31 character file names are not a limit
of HFS file systems, but of Classic Mac OS.  I was able to create a very
long file name on an HFS partition using command line tools.  In Classic, it
just looked garbled towards the end.

Cheers!
-Joe Rhodes

_______________________________________________________
Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/