Subject: Re: Permissions problems again...

From: "Bryn Hughes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 08:50:24 -0700

I had this problem and eventually discovered it was because I wasn't a member of the group that was being set.  Since I wasn't a member of the group, I couldn't change the ownership of the directory to belong to that group.  Once I added myself to the group, it worked fine.

Bryn

----------------------------------------------
Bryn Hughes
Macintosh/Linux Support
Information and Computing Services
Vancouver Community College

email:[email-masked]
ph: (604) 443-8702
Urgent: (604) 871-7007

>>> Jason Quigley <[email-masked]> - 9/6/01 2:03 PM >>>
Hi!

Does anybody know of a workaround for this:

Sep  6 22:40:21 vulcan afpd[2828]: stickydirmode: chmod
".AppleDouble/.Parent": Operation not permitted
Sep  6 22:40:21 vulcan afpd[2828]: stickydirmode: chmod ".AppleDouble":
Operation not permitted
Sep  6 22:40:38 vulcan afpd[2828]: stickydirmode: chmod
".AppleDouble/.Parent": Operation not permitted
Sep  6 22:40:38 vulcan afpd[2828]: stickydirmode: chmod ".AppleDouble":
Operation not permitted
Sep  6 22:49:40 vulcan afpd[2828]: stickydirmode: chmod
".AppleDouble/.Parent": Operation not permitted
Sep  6 22:49:40 vulcan afpd[2828]: stickydirmode: chmod ".AppleDouble":
Operation not permitted

I am using 1.5pre6 on FreeBSD 4.2?

Whenever a new folder is created on a share, I get a message saying that the
folder could not be created because I have insufficient privileges. The
folder is created anyway but when I look at it from a terminal I see that
the setgid bit is not set. Even if I run netatalk as setuid root, this
problem occurs. 

I vaguely remember somebody mentioning a fix for this (or a workaround) a
long long time ago.

I'm at the point of writing a cron job that fixes up the permissions but
this is a nasty hack which won't fix this particular problem - it'll keep
all the permissions nice and tidy, though.

Please help my failing memory! :-)

Jason.

---

From: Jason Quigley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 18:05:55 +0200

Yes Bryn, thank you!

You are quite correct. I made some changes recently to the structure of 
the shares on this server and another one. On the this one, I forgot to 
fix the groups. On the other, I remembered, which is why I was getting 
so damn confused!

Now to fix the "Delete Immediately" trash folder problem.

Once again, thanks!
Jason.

On Friday, September 7, 2001, at 05:50 PM, Bryn Hughes wrote:

> I had this problem and eventually discovered it was because I wasn't a 
> member of the group that was being set.  Since I wasn't a member of the 
> group, I couldn't change the ownership of the directory to belong to 
> that group.  Once I added myself to the group, it worked fine.
>
> Bryn
>