Subject: Re: OS X irony

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 15:35:43 +0100

Did you try tran, say, a 500 megabyte file structure from OSX to the paritions
mounted via netatalk 1.5pre7? This crashes the 10.0.1 machine.

At 05/10/2001 14:54:52, Chad Cunningham <[email-masked]> wrote:
#  On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Chip Mefford wrote:
#
#  > Okay, so if I move from 1.5pre2 which I've munged
#  > up to behave the way I want, to 1.5.pre7 I'll
#  > actually be able to have my OSX10.1 clients
#  > connect successfully? For real? No hassle?
#
#  Maybe :) All I can say for sure is that I installed 1.5pre7 from source
#  with no special options (./configure, make, make install) and my OS X 10.1
#  box has worked flawlessly with it.
#
#  --
#
#  Chad Cunningham
#  [email-masked]
#
#  "Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two-headed beast. One
#  head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the
#  other head of science is bad! Oh beware the other head of science, Arthur, it
#  bites!"
#
Roger

---

From: Rick Zeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 11:12:00 -0400

I did from 1.4b2, both directions.  Worked well.

>>> <[email-masked]> 10/05/01 10:35AM >>>

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 22:00:38 +0200

> mounted via netatalk 1.5pre7? This crashes the 10.0.1 machine.
                                                 ^^^^^^
is this just a typo?

I believe nobody should expect any release of OS X below 10.0.4 to
even work in regards to AppleTalk. Apple did a considerable amount
of bugfixing with the 10.0.4 update.
10.1 apparently incorporates the first *usable* AppleShare client.

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers

---

From: David Rouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 21:56:41 -0400

> mounted via netatalk 1.5pre7? This crashes the 10.0.1 machine.

I haven't moved quite as much at one go, but 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 seems to 
work fine with Mac OS 10.0.4. I've copied mpg and mov files from and to 
(and opened from) the server with no trouble. Machine's a Sun ss1000 
running Solaris 2.7.

--
drouse

---

From: "Chad Leigh -- ObjectWerks Inc." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 23:44:35 -0400

> mounted via netatalk 1.5pre7? This crashes the 10.0.1 machine.

I have 1.5pre7 on a FreeBSD box.  I have 10.1 on an iMac.  I copied a 
65mb file from the 10.1 machine just fine.  Then I dragged an installer 
CD of around 245mb that had the 65mb file and many .mov and .aiff files 
onto the netatlk volume  (TCP) and the first time the netatlk volume 
disappeared after all but around 3 mb had transferred over.  Then I 
remounted the netatalk volume (again TCP) and successfully copied the CD 
over.  I don't have any 500mb files to try but the 65mb file and the 
245mb drag of an installer cd worked fine.

Chad