Subject: dropped connections

From: Brice D Ruth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 17:04:18 -0500

I've been scouring the 'Net for more information on using netatalk w/ 
Mac OS X as a client.  I've found some references to certain versions of 
netatalk working, but nothing definitive.

My question: is there a version of netatalk that works with Mac OS X 
clients?  If so, where can I get this?  If not, what's the problem?

Regards,
Brice Ruth

---

From: Joe Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 18:11:17 -0400 (EDT)

I have the CVS version configured with --with-did=last on FreeBSD, and it
works quite well with my 10.0.4 clients.

Joe Clarke

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Brice D Ruth wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Netatalk-devel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/netatalk-devel
>
>

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 14:03:36 +1000

> works quite well with my 10.0.4 clients.

 I tried this on a Linux server, and I could reliably kernel panic OSX
by trying to copy large files (25Mb Quicktime files) to the server.

 Seem to work with small stuff fine, but large transfers took out the
system.

 Im personally hoping their might be salvation in 10.1 SMB client. It
can then talk to Samba instead :-)

-- 
Matthew Geier			[email-masked]
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713
Sydney University

---

From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:10:59 +1000

apparently you need to pay for the samba client - you can't use the original
samba (samba.org)?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Matthew Geier
Sent: Wednesday, 8 August 2001 14:04
To: Joe Clarke
Cc: Brice D Ruth; netatalk-admins; Netatalk Developers List
Subject: Re: [Netatalk-devel] dropped connections

---

From: Brice D Ruth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 09:01:26 -0500

This isn't good.  My main need for the interaction of a OS X client w/ 
the netatalk server is specifically the transfer of large files.  Samba 
doesn't help in that respect, because I need to transfer the files w/ 
resource information intact, which I can only do w/ netatalk as far as I 
know.

My transition from OS 9.1 to OS X didn't indicate that I no longer 
needed OS 9.1 applications - hence the need for resource information in 
the files.  Photoshop files, Quark files, application installers and the 
like are still needed in Classic.

Is the main compatability problem on the client side?  I read somewhere 
that the commercial Apple File Sharing solutions for Windows NT and UNIX 
do not suffer from the same problems as netatalk.

Brice

---

From: Simon Bazley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 17:52:00 +0100

Just a thought,
                        The default resource forks that apply to files,
are setup in the AppleSystem (or whatever it is called).  As I
understand it (and I may be completely wrong) there is a 4 letter
identifier which defines which application is the default link to a
filetype.  For example on my system, jpg's default as associated with
quicktime, but are used and altered by adobe photoshop, hence get a
different resource fork.

                        I'm not sure how to go about doing it, but
surely if you're persistently using a particular file type with the same
application, you could change the default type, to whatever it is you
use.  The generated resource forks probably have the magic 4 letters in
there somewhere, but I'm just guessing.  I've not looked into how the 4
letters apply to an application, but I'm sure it could be done.

                        That all done you could use samba to upload your
massive files (dont forget you can also go file-open rather than
clicking on an file, to open it in an application other than the one it
was created by).

                        Simon

---

From: Nigel Pegram <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:08:24 +1000

<snip> 
> clicking on an file, to open it in an application other than the one it

If you edit your AppleVolumes.system file, you can specify what mapping of
file extensions takes place for files uploaded without a resource fork, both
for file type and creator information.

Further note:

The afpd manual page comments that this file is used in generating a list of
volumes to offer to the user. I've always thought that was the role of
AppleVolumes.default.

Is this an error in the documentation?

Nigel.