Subject: Problems copying 'some' files; Error -50

From: Harald Wagener <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:22:26 +0200

This is with  netatalk-1.4.99-0.20001108 on RedHat 7.1 on the server
side and MacOS 9.0.4 on the client side.

When copying large quantities of files onto the file server, the copy
process does sometimes stop with 'Error -50' message.

When trying to copy the offending files on their own, it wokrs _most of
the time_, but some single files won't be copied.

This error does not occur when tring to copy the file in question to 
another netatalk box running netatalk-1.5pre3 or from another client
running MacOS 9.1/9.2

So, I assume this is a problem with the software versions used. Can
anyone confirm this?

Regards,
	Harald

-- 
Harald Wagener      |                                Systemadministrator 
FCB/Wilkens GmbH    |                              Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252 
An der Alster 42    |                              Fax.:+49-40-2881-1263 
20099 Hamburg       |                         http://www.fcb-wilkens.com

---

From: Trevor Allett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:29:31 +0100

>So, I assume this is a problem with the software versions used. Can

we have a problem similar to this, whereby some files in a folder 
full would only copy if copied on their own or with the option (alt) 
key held down, the problem goes away if the virus protection (virex) 
is disabled.
-t
-- 
--
==============================
Trevor Allett
IT Support unit
North Oxfordshire College,
Banbury,
Oxfordshire.	United Kingdom.
=======================================
============================================
This message may contain information which is legally privileged
and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any unauthorised disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this information is strictly prohibited.
Such notification notwithstanding, any comments or opinions
expressed are those of the originator, not of
North Oxfordshire College and School of Art,
unless otherwise explicitly stated.
=================================================================

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:39:28 +0200

Do you have codepage options enabled?

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers

---

From: Harald Wagener <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:52:34 +0200

> Do you have codepage options enabled?
[snip]

umm,no. I wanted to asked about code pages in the near future, because
we currently have problems with umlauts coming from windows clients 
accessing the same data via samba.

But while we are at it: which would be 'the perfect setting' for code
pages  so german umlauts at last are usable cross platform
(and, by the way, does anybody know how to configure the shell
on redhat linux in a way that this codepage is used there as
well so I can work without shell expansion tricks to access some files
on the server)?

Regards,
	Harald