Subject: PAPD - problem with large print jobs

From: David Pasek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 21:49:06 +0200

Hello,
I'm not sleeping one week because of problem with netatalk package.
I installed netatalk package 1.4b2 and all is working prety fine but
withou printing.

Printing was generaly working but if i try print large file (more than
30MB postscript) it's taking a lot of time and do nothing.

I looked at maillist archive and seen some problems with jobs larger
than 256MB files.
So i maked upgrade to version 1.5.pre-6

Now it looks better, print on Mac is finished but postscript file is
truncated from original size to some another size. Postscript is
uncomplete and network printer cannot print it.
No message in /var/log/messages all looks good accept truncated print
job :-(((
I puted hack to /etc/atalkd/papd.conf
pr:|cat > /var/tmp
for writing incoming print output to file instead sending it directly to
lpd, so I can check what is comming from Mac client.

BTW: print of "small files" up to 20-30MB is working fine.

I'm using Linux RedHat 7.0
Computer is very powerfull DELL 2400

Disk is (RAID5) splited to volumes
/tmp		70MB
/usr		3GB
/var		90GB

Any idea?
Thanks in advance.
--
David Pasek
Email: [email-masked] WWW: http://www.idc.cz ICQ: 76039994
Phone: +420 (0)2 66794545 Mobile: +420 (0)603 207211
Address: IDC - SoftwareHouse, Argentinska 38, Prague 7, Czech Republic

---

From: Alle mails voor SMS systeem <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 19:10:12 +0200 (CEST)

Hey,

I am running netatalk on my linux (RH 6.2), with no problems so far (only
used it for a few hours yet). 

However, I am also using hx, a linux Hotline clone, which downloads
macintosh files in the CAP format instead of netatalk. Is there any way to
'translate' CAP files to netatalk ones (I mean, the structure of the
resource forks) ? Or a utility to zip or stuff CAP files, so I can move
them to my Mac ?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

---

From: Mac Conin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 15:21:50 +0200

In my small understanding of netatalk all ressource forks are built on
the fly while a user mounts a volume.
The data (creator and type) are retrieved from AppleVolumes.system.

Drop the files into the netatalk volume mount it - that should work

-- 
--schnipp-- 

mit freundlichen grüssen

-----------------------------------------------------------
Mac Conin                        EUC Online Service GmbH
Geschäftsführer                  Taubengasse 9
[email-masked]                    D 50676 Koeln
http://www.euc.de                HRB Köln 32038
tel : +49-221-923 27 33          fax : +49-221-239 651
-----------------------------------------------------------
EUC sponsort Clean up Cologne - eine Iniative der IHK Köln,
der Abfallwirtschaftsbetriebe Köln (AWB) und dem
Grünflächenamt der Stadt Köln. http://www.clean-up-cologne.de

---

From: Steven Karel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 14:37:52 -0400 (EDT)

CAP and netatalk store files in similar, but distinct, ways. Both use the
filesystem to store the data fork. They use different methods to store the
"extra bits" of information that Macs need:

CAP stores the "finder metadata" as files in a subdirectory named
.finderinfo and stores the resource fork in a subdirectory named
.resource

netatalk stores both the finder metadata and the resource fork in a single
file in a subdirectory named .AppleDouble - the file format used includes
an AppleDouble file header. See:

http://www-sccm.stanford.edu/Students/hargrove/HFS/README-4.html

Actually, it appears to me that on linux you could move everything by
mounting the CAP directories as one HFS filesystem, the new
netatalk-style directories as another HFS, and then just copy things
over
with linux. That would be cool if it actually worked. See:

http://www-sccm.Stanford.EDU/~hargrove/HFS/
http://www-sccm.stanford.edu/Students/hargrove/HFS/README.html

for the details of how you'd have to mount the two HFS filesystems.

-----

the program mkisofs and its predecessor mkhybrid also both understand the
CAP and netatalk directory structures, so you could create an HFS CD image
or CDs (using cdrecord) and move all the CAP files to your Mac.

ftp://ftp.ge.ucl.ac.uk/pub/mkhfs/
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html

---

install both CAP and netatalk simultaneously, and sit at a mac and move
things around.

for CAP, see:

http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/appletalk/cap.html

---

A fellow by the name of Jonathan Paisley claims to have written a C
program to move files from CAP to netatalk formats. See:

http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/2000/1197.html
http://students.dcs.gla.ac.uk/students/paisleyj/netatalk/

The latter page has an email page asking for people to e-mail him and tell
him to hurry up and post his program to do it ;-)

This would probably be the best solution.

steven

-- 
Steven Karel, Ph.D.
Biology Department, Brandeis Univ, MS 008
415 South St Waltham MA 02454-9110
TEL 781 736 3104   FAX 781 736 3107