Subject: Compile Problems with 1.5pre7

From: "Bryn Hughes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:43:09 -0700

Hi all,

I'm having problems compiling 1.5pre7 under RH 6.2.  Haven't been able to find anything that seems to be relevant to this.  I got the 1.5pre7 source from SourceForge 2 days ago.

config options:
./configure --sysconfdir=/etc/atalk --with-db3=/usr/include/db3 --with-ssl-dir=/usr/include/openssl --with-shadow --with-tcp-wrappers --enable-redhat --enab
le-did=lastdid --enable-afs

results of make:

[root@gateway netatalk-1.5pre7]# make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/sibh/netatalk-1.5pre7'
Making all in libatalk
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/sibh/netatalk-1.5pre7/libatalk'
Making all in adouble
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sibh/netatalk-1.5pre7/libatalk/adouble'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sibh/netatalk-1.5pre7/libatalk/adouble'
Making all in asp
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sibh/netatalk-1.5pre7/libatalk/asp'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sibh/netatalk-1.5pre7/libatalk/asp'
Making all in atp
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sibh/netatalk-1.5pre7/libatalk/atp'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sibh/netatalk-1.5pre7/libatalk/atp'
Making all in compat
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sibh/netatalk-1.5pre7/libatalk/compat'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sibh/netatalk-1.5pre7/libatalk/compat'
Making all in cnid
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/sibh/netatalk-1.5pre7/libatalk/cnid'
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../..     -g -O2 -I/usr/include -I../../include -I../../sys -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/openssl -c cnid_add.c
rm -f .libs/cnid_add.lo
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../.. -g -O2 -I/usr/include -I../../include -I../../sys -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/openssl -c cnid_add.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o cnid_add.o
cnid_add.c: In function `add_cnid':
cnid_add.c:49: warning: passing arg 1 of `txn_begin' from incompatible pointer type
cnid_add.c:49: too many arguments to function `txn_begin'
cnid_add.c:89: too many arguments to function `txn_commit'
cnid_add.c: In function `cnid_add':
cnid_add.c:162: warning: passing arg 1 of `txn_begin' from incompatible pointer type
cnid_add.c:162: too many arguments to function `txn_begin'
cnid_add.c:227: too many arguments to function `txn_commit'
make[3]: *** [cnid_add.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/sibh/netatalk-1.5pre7/libatalk/cnid'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/sibh/netatalk-1.5pre7/libatalk'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/sibh/netatalk-1.5pre7'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
[root@gateway netatalk-1.5pre7]#

----------------------------------------------
Bryn Hughes
Macintosh/Linux Support
Information and Computing Services
Vancouver Community College

email:[email-masked]
ph: (604) 443-8702
Urgent: (604) 871-7007

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 19:38:53 +0200

> I'm having problems compiling 1.5pre7 under RH 6.2.  Haven't been able to find anything that seems to be relevant to this.  I got the 1.5pre7 source from SourceForge 2 days ago.

[...]

> cnid_add.c:49: warning: passing arg 1 of `txn_begin' from incompatible pointer type
[...]

It seems that your libdb3 version is too old. configure should check for
that but currently doesn't.

 - Sebastian

---

From: Magnus Stenman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:45:00 +0200

I have the exact same problem, with RH6.2, and the db libs
I got are: db3-3.1.17 (and gdbm-1.8.0)

Is there a workaround?

/magnus

---

From: "Chris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 13:19:22 -0700

Hi,
I am new to netatalk.  I have gotten file shareing to work with my mac's.

I would like to us my inkjet printer on my linux box as a network printer
for my macs.  I have it working for my linux box and for my windows machines
using samba.  I have looked over a lot of documentation on how to set up a
printer for the macs using papd.  All the descriptions are for laser
printers and I have not found any for an inkjet printer.  I need a step by
step on how to get my inkjet printer to act as a network printer for my
macs.  I have seen post on using ghostscripts but do not know what that is
or how to write one.
Thanks,
Christopher Holland

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 23:20:02 +0200

> I got are: db3-3.1.17 (and gdbm-1.8.0)

One workaround is to install newer db3 libs. You can install them
at a custom location (e.g. /usr/local or /home/whatever) and provide
a path to them with the configure switch --with-db3=PATH. Another
workaround is to disable CNID support: --disable-cnid-db.

 - Sebastian

---

From: Magnus Stenman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 01:46:57 +0200

> a path to them with the configure switch --with-db3=PATH. Another

So, are they statically linked to netatalk?
I'm not comfortable with introducing newer db3 versions on production
systems, with the possible corruption of RPM dtatabsese and stuff...

> workaround is to disable CNID support: --disable-cnid-db.

That does not work, it compiles libatalk/cnid/ anyway...

/magnus

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 14:08:08 +0200

> So, are they statically linked to netatalk?

You can probably force them to be.

> systems, with the possible corruption of RPM dtatabsese and stuff...

I agree.

> That does not work, it compiles libatalk/cnid/ anyway...

I see. I will put that on my to do list.

 - Sebastian