Subject: Production use system ...

From: Netatalk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:34:40 -0800

Hi folks, 

I'm having a bit of a problem right now:

A customer is in need of a storage server (500Gig+) with fairly high
volume of changes (20Gig+ a day), serving about 40 clients. Of the people
around here that have a similar configuration running for some time
I'd like to ask a few questions:

- Which hardware are you using?

The customer uses some kind of softraid under macos 9 right now,
featuring a adaptec 39160 controller and 8 70-gig hitachi 160 scsi drives
on two cables. But this system started misbehaving about 2 months ago,
resulting in damage to data and directory structure.
As a result the complete server had to be reinstalled two times already.
Which cpu/motherboard/controller-combination are you using? 

- Which filesystem?

Which filesystems are you using?
Due to the high amount of changed data per day, filesystem fragmentation
will become an issue sooner or later. How is your servers filesystem
handling that? Are file sizes of 2Gig or more common on your setup?

- Which server software and version?

Altough I'd like to install netatalk for this customer, if another
software is more stable I'd use that, too.

- Application software

Do you have Quark, Photoshop and the like running? Do they behave correctly?
(The customer is already used to copying files to the client Mac
before working on it and storing it back afterwards). Do you have
problems with Quark documents loosing their images or the like?

To reduce off-topic traffik, please mail your comments to
[email-masked], I will collect them and post them to the list.

Big Thanks,

Roland Schulz
[email-masked]

PS: Sorry for the crossposting.

---

From: Greg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 18:35:42 -0800

I've sent mail everywhere I can think of, including [email-masked] to unsubscribe
from this list (netatalk-admins).  Nothing has worked, and I am tired of
getting this mail.
So, I am turning to the list itself.  Who here can unsubscribe me?

Thanks,	
	Greg

---

From: Markus Hirschmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 01:19:17 +0100

Hi Greg.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 06:35:42PM -0800, Greg wrote:
 
> I've sent mail everywhere I can think of, including [email-masked] 
> to unsubscribe from this list (netatalk-admins).  Nothing has worked, 
> and I am tired of getting this mail.

I have the same problems.

Markus