Subject: AppleShare Client cannot register with Server

From: Urs-Jakob Rüetschi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1904 03:41:44 +0100

Hi, I've got a problem on the MacOS side: Whenever I specify a UAM 
other than clear text (uams_clrtxt.so) in afpd.conf, the Chooser 
complains that:

"The User Authentication Method required by this server can't be 
found, please check the AppleShare folder in the Extensions folder 
and try again."

Unfortunately, I don't have any "AppleShare" folder even on a newly 
installed MacOS and reinstalling the latest AppleShare Client 
(version 3.8.8) doesn't help either. My MacOS version is 9.0.4 and my 
Netatalk is 1.5 running on a SuSE Linux 7.1 ppc box with a 2.4.2 
kernel. Apart from this problem, i.e., when using uams_clrtxt.so or 
uams_guest.so, everything works perfectly. However, I would really 
like to use encrypted passwords and hence employ uams_randnum.so or 
the like.

It's probably a stupid mistake on my part, which I wasn't able to 
figure out. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!
-- 
Urs-Jakob Rüetschi
[email-masked]