Subject: Postscript errors fro atalk

From: Richard Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:52:57 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

Running netatalk on a solaris 7 macine with a lexmark C710 colour laser
printer.

Quite a few print jobs with colour images fail and give a postscript
error of:
	ERROR: typecheck
	OFFENDING COMMAND: colorimage
	...

If I enable appletalk on the printer and print directly to it, the job
prints fine.

Now to complicate things further... If I select the atalk printer and
select print to file. And then print the resulting postscript file from
the unix command line, it works fine. But if I configure an atalk
printer that just writes the job to a file (does not print it):
	Test Printer:\
        :pr=|cat > /tmp/print:\
        :op=lp:\
        :pd=/etc/atalk/ppd/lexmark_optrac710.ppd:
and print the resulting file from the unix command line, I get the same
postscript error as above.

I found some web pages that say this error could be cases by sending a
postscript level 2 file to a level 1 printer. But the C710 is a level 3
printer, so there should be no problem.

So my first question would be, does anyone have any ideas?

But failing that, could some one explain (or point me to some docs) how
a print jobs gets printed over atalk vs direct to the printer?

I know there is a ppd file on each mac, one on the atalk server, when
does each get used, what do they do, what is different about atalk...

Thanks.

***************************** **************************************
*Rick Goldberg              * *                                    *
*Graduate Student           * * "I never wanted to be average,     *
*Computer Science Dept      * *   because when you are average you *
*York University            * *   are just as far from the top as  *
*Toronto, Canada            * *   you are from the bottom."        *
[email-masked]             * *              -Stan Cottrell-       *
*www.cs.yorku.ca/~rickg     * *                                    *
***************************** **************************************
     "If you don't invest very much, the defeat doesn't hurt,
             But winning isn't very exciting."