Subject: MacOS X Can't Connect

From: "Seth D. Mattinen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 12:01:15 -0700

My MacOS X (release) and Netatalk server don't seem to want to play
together.

I am running netatalk-1.5pre3-1mdk, which I realize is now at pre5. The
MacOS X machine is at work, the Netatalk server is at home, I'm at home
right now... I'll probably run up through the release tree and see if any
versions of netatalk newer that what I'm running improve anything.

Okay. Now, here's the problem. MacOS X can apparently talk netatalk and
successfully authenticate. However, upon selecting the volume to mount, I
instantly get the "Server has unexpectedly closed the connection" error on
X.

Syslog has this to say about the exchange (note timestamps):

Apr  6 16:14:10 daisy afpd[13248]: ASIP session:548(1) from
207.228.xx.xx:49371(2)
Apr  6 16:14:10 daisy afpd[13248]: dhx login: sethm
Apr  6 16:14:10 daisy PAM_pwdb[13248]: (netatalk) session opened for user
sethm by (uid=0)
Apr  6 16:14:10 daisy afpd[13248]: login sethm (uid 500, gid 100)
Apr  6 16:14:18 daisy afpd[13248]: dsi_stream_read(0): No such process
Apr  6 16:14:18 daisy PAM_pwdb[13248]: (netatalk) session closed for user
sethm
Apr  6 16:14:18 daisy afpd[13248]: 0.56KB read, 8.65KB written
Apr  6 16:14:18 daisy afpd[13248]: Connection terminated
Apr  6 16:14:18 daisy afpd[707]: server_child[1] 13248 exited 1

I'm guessing the problem happens where "dsi_stream_read(0): No such process"
appears in the logs, which is (again, guessing) where it tries to mount the
volume. The two are connected only by the internet; this issue is not
present when the same machine from the same IP is booted under MacOS 9.

Has anyone else come across what I'm seeing here? Ideas? Comments?

--
Seth D. Mattinen  [email-masked]  http://roller.reno.nv.us/
PGP Key: http://seth.mattinen.org/pgp.php
Think twice, type once.