Subject: netatalk-1.5pre6 on solaris7 sparc

From: Glenn Huish <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:35:13 -0700

hi all-

i'm having some trouble with the install of netatalk-1.5pre6 here. 
i'm running sol7 on an E450, 32 bit only (no need to uncomment the 
sparcv9 stuff).

i haven't installed this on a sun before, and the part of this that 
varies most greatly from linux installs is the part i'm having 
trouble with: running kinstall to load the kernel module.

after reading doc/README.SOLARIS, i was left with the impression that 
i should run kinstall from the toplevel dir ( where i ran 
./configure, make, and make install), but i get a  "*** No rule to 
make target `kinstall' " when i try.

on a hunch, i tried the same thing in the sys/solaris directory, and 
it worked. great. except now my config file doesnt seem to be read, 
cuz all the install paths went wacky-

from rc 2.d/S79atalk:

# Start the appletalk server processes.
#

'start')

         echo 'starting appletalk daemons: \c'
         if [ -x /atalkd ]; then
                 /atalkd;                echo ' atalkd\c'
         fi

         if [ -x /nbprgstr ]; then
                 /nbprgstr -p 4 `hostname|sed 's/\..*$//'`:Workstation

... note that it's looking in the root directory for the binaries. 
they aren't there, but my config files seem to be:

{root@zeus:/etc/rc2.d}
18:04:37 # ls /
afpd.conf 	kernel		reconfigure
bin		lib		sbin
cdrom		lost+found	tmp
dev 		lp2pap.sh	users
devices		mnt		usr
etc 		net		var
export 		 opt		 vol
flash-update-450-latest  platform		 xfn
home		proc
{root@zeus:/etc/rc2.d}
18:04:40 #

... there's no atalkd.conf there, but i guess that gets created 
manually on this platform.  either way, there was no /etc/atalk 
created (or /usr/local/etc/atalk), it just seems to have scattered 
the files around.

my binaries seem to be in the right place, implying that when i ran 
make install, it found my paths properly (/usr/local/bin, 
/usr/local/sbin, /usr/local/man....)

the problems seem to go beyond justconf file locations- when i run 
atalk manually, after creating /etc/atalkd.conf, truss gives me this:

open("NONE/etc/atalkd.conf", O_RDONLY)          Err#2 ENOENT
so_socket(16, 1, 0, "", 1)                      Err#124 EAFNOSUPPORT
open("/etc/netconfig", O_RDONLY)                = 3
fstat64(3, 0xFFBEF398)                          = 0
brk(0x0002EFC8)                                 = 0
brk(0x00030FC8)                                 = 0
ioctl(3, TCGETA, 0xFFBEF324)                    Err#25 ENOTTY
read(3, " #\n #   T h e   " N e t".., 8192)     = 1128
read(3, 0x0002D434, 8192)                       = 0
llseek(3, 0, SEEK_CUR)                          = 1128
llseek(3, 0, SEEK_SET)                          = 0
read(3, " #\n #   T h e   " N e t".., 8192)     = 1128
read(3, 0x0002D434, 8192)                       = 0
llseek(3, 0, SEEK_CUR)                          = 1128
close(3)                                        = 0
stat("/dev/ddp", 0xFFBEFA1C)                    = 0
so_socket(16, 1, 0, "/dev/ddp", 1)              = 3
so_socket(2, 2, 0, "", 1)                       = 4
ioctl(4, 0xC0086914, 0xFFBEFA80)                = 0
close(4)                                        = 0
ioctl(3, 0xC0206911, 0xFFBEFB70)                Err#22 EINVAL
ioctl(3, 0xC0206911, 0xFFBEFB70)                Err#22 EINVAL
close(3)                                        = 0
atalkdwrite(2, " a t a l k d", 6)                       = 6
: zero interfaces, exiting.
write(2, " :   z e r o   i n t e r".., 28)      = 28
llseek(0, 0, SEEK_CUR)                          = 310678
_exit(1)

and yes,  i added my interface, hme0, to /etc/atalkd.conf

i'm guessing that it all stems from having to run kinstall from the 
solaris directory, but it's just a guess. i'm not finding many clues 
around anywhere...

any ideas on how to fix this install?

TIA-
-- 

g++

--

g l e n n  a.  h u i s h  . . . . . <[email-masked]>