Subject: Netatalk issues

From: "Bryan Tholen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 14:04:05 -0500

I have been using DAVE from thursby software with one of my clients running
a linux 2.2.17 server with the netatalk-asun2.1.4. It is a small network
about 30 users; 25 PCs and 5 Mac clients. I have one of the Mac guys running
netatalk for testing and he seems to like it however I have a couple of
problems that I need to work out.

is there anyway to move the resource.frk information stored by DAVE to
.AppleDouble format to maintain the resource fork for all of the files on
the server if we switch to Netatalk? This client has about 15gigs worth of
image files/quark docs that I dont want to have to transfer to a Mac and
back to the server if I can avoid it. I need the resource forks because they
contain preview information for image files and are needed for fonts I am
using.

when copying a folder from the server to a Mac client the hidden folder
.AppleDouble is copied along with it. If you change/delete or add a file to
the folder and copy it back to the server so of the files disappear or are
mangled because of the stale .AppleDouble folder that is copied. Maybe there
is an option on the client to aviod hidden files? If not is there anyway to
turn off transfer of the .AppleDouble folder down to the client?

Is there any option for netatalk to truncate filenames longer than the Mac
limit (31 i believe) so they may be viewed on a Mac client from the server?

BTW, I have upgraded all my clients with the Quark Express 4.11fixit
extension and they seem to be working with out any of the "File is locked"
errors we had seen before. Can anyone else confirm that this extension fixes
the problem? I am still not convinced and have even contemplated moving back
to FLOCKS if the problem pops up again.

Thanks for your time.