Subject: TCP only server -- SLP registration fails

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 19:29:36 +0100

Hi everybody, 

I'm running FreeSLP 1.0.7, default config files. The first log
below is captured with ATALKD running, Network Browser (AppleTalk enabled
at client) works like expected: server shows up both under
"AppleTalk" and "Local Services".

*** (Apple Talk active at the Linux box) ***
Feb 11 03:01:47 bob kernel: NET4: AppleTalk 0.18a for Linux NET4.0
Feb 11 03:01:47 bob atalkd[464]: restart (1.5.1.1)
Feb 11 03:01:49 bob kernel: eth1: no IPv6 routers present
Feb 11 03:01:49 bob kernel: eth0: no IPv6 routers present
Feb 11 03:01:49 bob atalkd[464]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Feb 11 03:02:07 bob last message repeated 2 times
Feb 11 03:02:17 bob atalkd[464]: config for no router
Feb 11 03:02:18 bob atalkd[464]: ready 0/0/0
Feb 11 03:02:37 bob afpd[571]: bob:AFPServer@* started on 65280.33:128
(1.5.1.1)
Feb 11 03:02:37 bob afpd[571]: ASIP started on 192.168.33.110:548(2)
(1.5.1.1)
Feb 11 03:02:37 bob afpd[571]: Sucessfully registered
afp://192.168.33.110/?NAME=bob with SRVLOC
Feb 11 03:02:37 bob afpd[571]: uam: loading (/usr/lib/netatalk/uams_dhx.so)
Feb 11 03:02:37 bob afpd[571]: uam: uams_dhx.so loaded
Feb 11 03:02:37 bob afpd[571]: uam: "DHCAST128" available
***

Now, ATALKD disabled at the server, -noddp statement given in afpd.conf,
I get the errors below -- and naturally Network Browser shows nothing
at all. But -- I'm still able to logon to the server by "Connect to
server" giving its IP address or its DNS name:

*** (Apple Talk deactivated at the Linux box) ***
Feb 11 02:48:55 bob afpd[452]: main: atp_open: Cannot assign requested
address
Feb 11 02:48:55 bob afpd[452]: ASIP started on 192.168.33.110:548(1)
(1.5.1.1)
Feb 11 02:48:55 bob kernel: NET4: AppleTalk 0.18a for Linux NET4.0
Feb 11 02:48:55 bob afpd[452]: DSIConfigInit: Error registering
afp://192.168.33.110/?NAME=bob with SRVLOC
Feb 11 02:48:55 bob afpd[452]: uam: loading (/usr/lib/netatalk/uams_dhx.so)
Feb 11 02:48:55 bob afpd[452]: uam: uams_dhx.so loaded
Feb 11 02:48:55 bob afpd[452]: uam: "DHCAST128" available
***

btw, running AppleTalk at the server only -- disabling AppleTalk just
client side -- Network Browser shows the server at Local Services only ...
again, expected behavior.

Simply, I don't understand the "main: atp_open: Cannot assign requested
address" message, what might be happening here? Especially, when AppleTalk
over IP works for me in every other regard?

I hope somebody is able to get me back onto tracks ...
TIA -- Thomas

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 06:40:40 +0100

not exactly a summary -- there has been zero response -- finally
I have been able to solve the slp registering problem on my own :-))

Turned out, for an TCP-only Netatalk server -- if compiled to use TCP
wrappers -- atalk *must* be started after inetd (regardless of TCP wrapper
permissions). Don't ask me why (well, of cause I know DDP is not under
control of inetd), but a DDP over TCP server attaches fine to slpd if
started before inetd -- whilestarting a TCP only server before inetd results
in an "Error registering" error message.

btw, originally I have had created Sys V symlinks that would start
netatalk after inetd, but Suse's Yast1 (at Suse 7.3) did reset those
symlinks to start netatalk long before inetd (I didn't do any investigation
when and why symlinks got changed by Yast -- at least after disabling
and re-enabling netatalk startup whithin Yast apparently they'll revert to
Suse defaults).

My above report might not be exact (because of my personal ignorance) -- may
be some *nix expert wants to chime in and offer more details about netatalk
and TCP wrappers interaction?

-Thomas