Subject: Applications Show as SimpleText Files and Won't Launch

From: Bill Colston <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 16:08:04 -0800

Everything was going well then....

I created a directory /home/programs, logged into the the volume via the
Chooser and copied the applications to the programs volume.  I tried
launching programs, ClarisWorks and BBEdit and everything worked great.  I
then added /home/programs to the AppleVolumes.default file so that everyone
could access the programs volume when then logged in with their account name
and password.  However,  when users log in and mounted their personal volume
and the programs volume, they couldn't launch ClarisWorks or BBEdit as they
appeared as SimpleText files.  When ClarisWorks is double clicked SimpleText
tries to open it.  I have tried every combination of file permissions I
could think of, even set the Sticky Bit (t) and set the directory setgid. I
also added /home/programs to AppleVolumes.system and double checked to see
if the proper extension/type/creator was set for ClarisWorks and BBEdit in
AppleVolumes.system and they were.   I even tried copying the .AppleDesktop
directory from the programs volume to the user's volume but still no luck.

I was able to get a cdrom mounted, placed it in Applevolumes.default so
users could acess it and it did work, although the application icon was
generic.  It did launch.

I would like to share more applications via netatalk but I don't have much
hope if I can't even get ClarisWorks and BBEdit to launch.

I am using netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.13-8 on YellowDog Linux 1.2.1.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Bill

Bill Colston

---

From: Steven Karel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:17:21 -0500

Check for the existence of, and the permissions of, the .AppleDouble
folder -- in this case,

/home/programs/.AppleDouble

The type and creator information fo the programs (type 'APPL') is stored
in the .AppleDouble file for the particular program, e.g. in:

/home/programs/.AppleDouble/BBEdit

If the user doesn't have permission to read that file, BBEdit will have
an unknown type, and since there's no file extension to provide a hint,
it'll default to a text file.

steven

Bill Colston wrote:
> appeared as SimpleText files.