Subject: my Mac sees much less hard drive space

From: Kevin Shrieve <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 18:51:32 -0800

We've installed netatalk-1.4b2 on a FreeBSD 4.2-20001121-BETA system.

A 20G shared partition displays as 1.6G from a Mac OS 9.04 machine. 
All 20G are available from a Win 98 machine.

I see a mention of this in the archives from August.  Has this 
problem been resolved?  If not, are there workaround strategies? 
Surely this is not what most netatalk users encounter, eh?

Thanks for any help.

kevin at lumiere.net

>  >  -----Original Message-----
>  >  From: Steve Freitas [mailto:[email-masked]]
>  >  Sent:	Monday, August 07, 2000 11:59 AM
>  >  To:	Mike Johnson; Netatalk
>  >  Subject:	Re: Problem with displayed hard drive space
>  >
>  >  > When a
>  >  >mac logs in, they see only the miserable little amount of free space left
>  >  on
>  >  >linux, not the wide-open space available on the mounted directories.
>  >
>  >  What MacOS version(s) are the clients running? Older versions of the OS
>  >  (someone else will have to join in with specific version numbers)
>  >  couldn't see past some ludicrously low number of gigs, I think 2 gigs,
>  >  and that would foul up the free space display.
>  >
>  >  Steve

---

From: Bill Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 23:09:15 -0500

> Surely this is not what most netatalk users encounter, eh?

Install the version of Netatalk with the asun patches (available as a
package). It fixes that problem as well as others.

-Bill

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 20:11:50 -0800

Netatalk 1.5 was patched to recognize larger partitions.  You could 
probably apply the same patches to the version you're using, but it's 
easiest just to download one of the recent packaged releases from 
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/netatalk.

At 06:51 PM 2/4/01 -0800, Kevin Shrieve wrote:
>A 20G shared partition displays as 1.6G from a Mac OS 9.04 machine. All 
>20G are available from a Win 98 machine.
>
>I see a mention of this in the archives from August.  Has this problem 
>been resolved?  If not, are there workaround strategies? Surely this is 
>not what most netatalk users encounter, eh?
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>kevin at lumiere.net
>
>

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 21:02:31 -0800

The asun patches do something with the 2GB barrier, but version 1.5 of 
netatalk/etc/afpd/unix.c also claims to be a fix for that.  I'm not sure 
the asun patches will be enough.

---

From: Lee Howard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 23:26:50 -0700

>the asun patches will be enough.

I recently did a netatalk-1.5 installation and didn't notice a problem with
a 2GB barrier and haven't heard any problems from the client, either.

Lee Howard.

---

From: Bill Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 08:31:44 -0500

I've got a client running with the asun patches and we've had no
problems.
I believe that the asun patches were the basis of version 1.5. Of
course, more has been added since then, but the 1.5 tree is still
"prerelease".
If you've got time to play, try both.

-Bill