Subject: FAQ

From: Alex King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 08:49:51 +1300

Is there a reasonably up to date FAQ around?  I am thinking of
questions I have seen on the list lately re. Compiling, Permissions
problems, file locking, availability etc.

If not would anyone be interested if I compiled one and posted it to
the list periodically?

I don't have a lot of time to do basic research, but I could have a
list of unanswered questions and grab usefull answers off the list.  I
certainly am not a netatalk expert, but I admin a few systems running
netatalk. My users would benefit from me having a bit more knowledge
abut netatalk, and I imagine compiling a FAQ will help me learn :-)

This is just a toe in the water to test reactions.

PS. If there is already someone maintaining a FAQ, please accept my
apologies (and point me in the right direction)

---

From: Ray Zimmerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 11:23:04 -0500

>If not would anyone be interested if I compiled one and posted it to

There's a FAQ at ...

	http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/faq.php

... but I don't know how up-to-date it is. I for one would certainly 
appreciate any work done to keep it current. I'm about to take a 
crack at installing the latest version on RedHat 6.2 and good docs 
are always a plus.

	Ray

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 13:35:09 -0800

There is one in progress which you may add to, though I don't think it 
includes all the topics you mentioned here.  It's a link off of 
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/netatalk.

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 08:42:04 -0800

Go to the DocManager link off of 
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/netatalk and read the FAQ on "How to 
contribute to the FAQ."  Steve Freitas (whose e-mail address is at the 
bottom of the FAQ) is the documentation guy.  Any questions you have about 
writing or submitting a FAQ file can be directed at him.

It's also worthy of note that if you have a question which you think is a 
FAQ but don't know the answer, the above-mentioned document includes how to 
submit such a question.

Right now there's an unanswered FAQ for how to install netatalk.  Even if 
you don't know how to install netatalk 1.5 prerelease (the installation 
procedure changed since 1.4b2 to make it simpler process), I'm sure there 
are a lot of people who would love to read that to find out how to install 
an older version.  So if you feel up to answering it, do it!!

At 11:36 AM 1/18/01 -0500, you wrote:
>I'd like to add to it...  how do I?  I think I have a lot of usefull insite
>now that I have been using it...
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
>To: "Alex King" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 4:35 PM
>Subject: Re: FAQ
>
>