Subject: Newbie Install Help

From: "Nathaniel Pendleton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 04:21:03 -0400

I am trying to install netatalk on Linux on VA linux 6.2.3 distro
and the VA linux powertools rpm for netatalk.
http://www.valinux.com/software/vaload/archive/6.2.3/
http://ftp.valinux.com/pub/software/VALinux/released/6.2.3/extras/Powertools
/i386/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7.i386.rpm

I read this page and was stumped and as VA Linux who RTFM'd me back here.
http://www.anders.com/projects/netatalk/

0) Honestly is netatalk reliable for file serving Mac files for a business?
1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7.i386.rpm?
1.5pre5?
netatalk webmin module 0.9?

1) What file system do I use on the netatalk server?  ext2 or what?

2) How do I get netatalk started?
using VA linux 6.2.3 (redhat 6.2 derivative)
dmesg has no "AppleTalk" so I insmod appletalk.o
/etc/services has all the correct stuff

kpackage installed the valinux 1.4b2 package which has:
/usr/doc/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/
/etc/atalk/

webmin>system>bootupshutdown lists "atalk" being started, and started at
boot

made macosdata folder in a folder that samba also uses.
chmod smbuser, chgrp smbusers, my default samba file controls.
I added to Apple Volumes.default
/home/data/macosdata "VACell400 MacOS"
restarted atalk in webmin.

no luck, now what?

-Nathaniel