Subject: Creating images

From: Wolf Drechsel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:05:06 +0100

Hello friends,

has anybody experienced such a problem:

I wanted to create several diskimages using either "ShrinkWrap" (3.0) 
or "DiskCopy" (4.2 as well as 6.3.3). This workes fine on the local 
macintosh hard disk, and works well on a linux volume - but the 
lather only, if its quite small volumes.

When I try to create an image with around 300 MB of size, DiskCopy 
and ShrinkWrap say "the disk is full" - allthough there is plenty of 
empty space (930 MB). The number of free blocks is sufficient, too. 
Creating the image on the local volume and then copying to the linux 
works fine - but takes quite extra time and effort.

Does creating a diskimage take enormous space to create gigantic temp 
invisibles on the target volume - or is there any trick to make 
diskimaging more easy? - I'm using OS 8.6.

Thanks a lot and Greetings

WD
-- 
************************************************************
# Gesellschaft für fahrgastorientierte Verkehrsplanung b.R.
# Köhnstr. 54   D-90478 Nürnberg
#
# Telephon: 0911/4 71 98 49
# Telefax: 0911/47 39 36
#
# [email-masked]
# www.verkehrsplanung.com
#************************************************************

---

From: Rob Lineweaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:06:49 -0500

> works fine - but takes quite extra time and effort.

This is a known and admitted problem with Apple's DiskCopy.  This is not a
Netatalk problem; it behaves exactly the same way on an AppleShare IP
server.  DiskCopy is sorely in need of an update so keep your eyes peeled
for a fix to this issue.

Rob Lineweaver
:)

---

From: Wolf Drechsel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 10:04:28 +0100

Hi,

thanks a lot for that reply - but is the same sort of bug in ShrinkWrap 3.0?

WD