Subject: Re: test (sort of)

From: Norman Paterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 09:17:01 +0100

>Is this reaching anyone?
>
> (To prevent a flood of replies, please toss a coin 5 times and only reply
> if you get all heads...hope this works...

Apparently so ... thanks for the replies.  A total of 7 which suggests a
world readership of 7x32 = 224.  Hmmm.

Anyway, now that I have your attention :-) can anyone comment on the real
question?

>My Linux filesystem has cycles created by symbolic links.  When I run Virex
>to scan the files, it gets stuck in a loop.
>
>Is there any easy way for me to detect these cycles before Virex does?  Or
>do I have to write a script myself?
>
>Using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7, Linux 2.2.14-5.0, Virex 5.9.1.

--
Norman Paterson, University of St Andrews
http://www.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~norman/

---

From: Jonathan Paisley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 14:51:36 +0100 (BST)

> >Using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7, Linux 2.2.14-5.0, Virex 5.9.1.

You could probably patch the afpd source to prevent directory listings
enumerating symlinks whose realpath is a prefix of the path to the link.

Alternatively, just disable listing of symlinks altogether (since it gets
mightily confusing sometimes!). While useful in a unix environment where
you can tell what they are, it's confusing to the mac...

Better still--break the cycle. Perhaps you can re-organise the source
directory structure to resolve the problem?

:)

-- 
Jonathan Paisley
[email-masked]