Subject: Netatalk + Japanese file names?

From: Deano! <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Sep 2001 17:56:23 -0700

Has this been resolved yet? I really* need Japanese and* 'regular' file
name support on my netatalk server.

-deano

---

From: "Chad Leigh, Objectwerks, Inc." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 22:04:36 -0400

> name support on my netatalk server.

Hi

I just tried using OS X and 1.5pre7 under FreeBSD 4.4-RC4 and it doesn't 
work.  I was able to type the japanese using the built in Japanese Language 
features that my wife regularly uses, but when I hit the final return to 
finish the filename I got an "exepected error -- returned -36" message.

I doubt that it is an OS X issue though I have not tried OS 9 since I don't 
have Japanese language capabilities on that machine.  Both OS X and OS 9 
have worked fine with normal roman letter filename.

Chad
ps: do I win a Ranma DVD as the first to answer?  :-)

---

From: Deano! <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Sep 2001 19:43:04 -0700

> have worked fine with normal roman letter filename.

Sorry, I should've mentioned my details:

Linux 2.4.8 (redhat 7.1 plus ext3 goodies) on intel
netatalk 1.5pre6-rh7 rpm

Basically, I just hosed myself. someone copied all their japanese files
onto* the server, and so far they still look* okay from her mac, but I'm
paralyzed with fear that they will have issues. I guess the first test
is moving them back* onto a mac successfully... Anyway, this has* to be
a fairly common issue... At least someone on the list must know the
status/plans for this issue?

-deano

PS - I will give this Ranma DVD box set to whoever can give me netatalk
japanese support:

http://store.viz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DVD-ROBS1&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=1

---

From: "Chad Leigh, ObjectWerks, Inc." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 23:47:26 -0400

--On Friday, September 14, 2001 7:43 PM -0700 Deano! <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> work.  I was able to type the japanese using the built in Japanese
>> Language  features that my wife regularly uses, but when I hit the final
>> return to  finish the filename I got an "exepected error -- returned
>> -36" message.
>>
>> I doubt that it is an OS X issue though I have not tried OS 9 since I
>> don't  have Japanese language capabilities on that machine.  Both OS X
>> and OS 9  have worked fine with normal roman letter filename.
>>
>

I tried copying one from OS X onto my pre7 FreeBSD system and got the same 
error as trying to create one .  Since your user successfully copied them 
on to the system, maybe there is hope, since I cannot even do that on my 
on-linux system.  I will try some tests tomorrow on my Mandrake 8 
workstation, onto which I will install 1.5pre7.  It may be more an 
underlying OS issue, and how their file systems handle it.  I don't know 
and that is just a guess.  Usually linux uses extfs and FreeBSD uses ufs so 
there may  be some differences there too.

best of luck, wish I could be of more assistance.
Chad

---

From: Gregg Healy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 11:48:32 -0700

I am trying to setup a printer using Netatalk and RedHat 7.1. I 
continue to get a postscript error. It appears that the file doesnt 
even start to write, like the spool path or something doesnt exist or 
not enough privelages or?

This has me stumped...any ideas what I should be looking at to solve 
this? I can print test pages OK, I just cant share the printer with 
Netatalk clients.

Any direction or help appreciated,

Gregg Healy
President

PhotoAd.com, Inc.
http://photoad.com
800 471-3737

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 13:01:22 +0200

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001 14:48:39 -0400 (EDT), Gregg Healy wrote:

> I am trying to setup a printer using Netatalk and RedHat 7.1.
> [...]
> I can print test pages OK, I just cant share the printer with
> Netatalk clients.

Seems you are using LPRng?

This has been discussed in the thread "Need help with papd"
several days ago.

I suggested reading this link:

<http://www.rodsbooks.com/network/network-netatalk.html>

Regards,

Thomas