Subject: Re: Netatalk on SuSE Linux 7.2 going nowhere

From: "D. L. Fuller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 22:39:33 -0400

Thanks all for the suggestions with my newbie problems getting Appletalk
working.

After being away from the problem for several days, I got back to it this
weekend and finally have success.

The key was Thomas Kaiser's <[email-masked]> comments.
Particularly the ftp for the SuSE rpm version
<ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/7.2/suse/n2/netatalk.rpm>.

I couldn't follow some of the other suggestions since my SuSE personal did
not include netatalk.   Plus it also took me a while to learn the
distinction between various Linux versions with differing instructions and
how-tos.   Different locations, different filenames, different procedures,
etc.  It all added to my frustration in not being able to follow directions!

I cleaned-out leftover files from the previous attempts and installed the
SuSE rpm version using the package manager.  Netatalk still didn't work, but
the situation started to make sense.

Next was the "put-the-plug-in-stupid" item.  I booted into Win98 and tried
MS networking to a Win emulator on one of the Macs.  And that didn't work.

Eureka!  Okay now try a different ethernet card.  MS networking now worked.
Configure the new card in Linux -- and netatalk now worked!

A defective, brand new card.  The moral of this saga -- make sure the
network works before diving into netatalk.

Another moral for newbies is to watch out for those differences between
distributions and versions.

Thanks again to all who were willing to take time to help me.  All those
suggestions were steps on the way to a solution.

--Don Fuller