Subject: 1.5pre7,OSX and Debian

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 10:56:59 -0400

Many questions here:

1.  Does 1.5 pre7 work with OSX or do I need to backtrack to an older 
DID module? I am able to use 1.6pre6 to listen to mp3s by adding the 
"hello" to the login, but I can't do anything else (no moving, copying 
or removing files). I am certain this has been asked before, but I can't 
seem to find any kind of up-to date mailing list archive.

2.  Has anyone made a Debian .deb for the new 1.5pre7?

3.  If there is no .deb, I need a hand figuring out where the build 
should go.  Utilizing the build instructions from anders.com (why is 
this not at the sourceforge site???), it suggests using 
DESTDIR=/usr/local/atalk.  The thing is, my current netatalk on my 
debian box is NOT located there.  In fact, the only atalk dir I find is 
in /usr/lib/atalk.  I have done a dpkg -L netatalk and can see where all 
the files have gone, but I am not really sure if I should remove the old 
1.5pre6 before installing 1.5pre7, and should I make a dir in 
/usr/local/atatalk?

Clearly, I need help :)

Morgan Reed

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 23:17:11 +0200

> 2.  Has anyone made a Debian .deb for the new 1.5pre7?

Yes, a Debian package is available in and for Debian unstable. See
http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/pool/non-US/main/n/netatalk

 - Sebastian

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 03:54:01 +0200

[pm, cc'd to Netatalk-Admins]

> seem to find any kind of up-to date mailing list archive.

basically, accessing a netatalk pre7 share and manipulating, pulling/pushing
files/folders from OS X 10.0.4 against a SuSE 7.2 server works for me.

There are some obnoxious problems with access rights, though.

My configure options are:
--enable-dropkludge --enable-cnid-db --enable-suse --enable-fhs
--with-shadow --with-tcp-wrappers
where I manually applied some patches beforehand to a) accommodate to
changes introduced with SuSE 7.2 and b) get cnid-db working -- thanks
to Joe Clarke!

However, I've had massive trouble with cnid (no data loss, though),
therefore I'd strongly recommend to stay away from cnid for a production
environment at this time.

>From what I've read, it should be almost ready. Nevertheless, for advanced
users compiling from source should do better than just throwing some kind of
package at your server.

> 1.5pre6 before installing 1.5pre7, and should I make a dir in

no idea ... I don't even know why to even use Debian -- no bashing meant,
apparently it is good for some purposes, but nobody told me which they are.
Is it for novices, or eventually for reliable servers with limited
functionality? No idea yet.

I hope this helps to some extent and keeps your trust into the
evolution of netatalk,
-Thomas

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers

---

From: Bob Cent <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 06:28:39 -0700 (PDT)

> 2.  Has anyone made a Debian .deb for the new 1.5pre7?

Has anyone made an .rpm for the new 1.5pre7?  My search came up
empty.

_____________________________
Bob Cent
University of Washington
Box 357330
Seattle, WA  98195-7330

mailto: [email-masked]
voice:  206.543.1433
fax:    206.685.0305
_____________________________

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 10:08:59 -0400

> Has anyone made an .rpm for the new 1.5pre7?  My search came up

I haven't had a chance yet, but I'm working on it.

Jeff