Subject: newbie CVS question

From: Karen A Swanberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:51:06 -0500 (CDT)

I've CVS'ed the current tree (the changelog includes the .AppleDouble and
tcp_wrappers changes), but my local cvs tree doesn't contain the configure
executable. Did I mess up my CVS configuration, or am I missing something
pretty basic, here? This time I just used $ cvs update, so perhaps my
initial checkout of the tree was done incorrectly? 

$ cvs login 
(Logging in to [email-masked])
CVS Password: <enter>
$ cvs update
or
$ cvs get netatalk

don't do it either.

I don't see the config file on the sourceforge "browse cvs tree" page
either.

This will be my first real (as opposed to playing) usage of cvs, so if I'm
missing something really basic, I apologize.

I keep the tarball version of 1.5pre6 in a different location, so I can
swap between them.

Sincerely,

-Karen

*                                                     *
Karen Swanberg              |                         
Network Admin.              | Error: Sector not found-- 
Dept. of Geology/Geophysics |search behind couch? (Y/N)
206 Pillsbury Hall          |                         
310 Pillsbury Ave. SE       |     Old geeks never die,                    
University of Mn            |         They just revert
Minneapolis, MN 55455       |            to cleartext.
(612) 624-6541              |                         
*                                                     *

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:03:59 -0400

> I keep the tarball version of 1.5pre6 in a different location, so I can

Run the ./autogen.sh script to generate ./configure.

jeff

---

From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:09:33 -0400

From: Karen A Swanberg <[email-masked]>
   Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:51:06 -0500 (CDT)

So *you* need the stuff mentioned by Jason Quigley (see attached).  Once
you have it all installed, do the following to build the ./configure
script:

    aclocal
    autoheader
    automake --add-missing
    autoconf

(And yes, this is basic, but I only just learned it myself.  ;-}
Corrections welcome, of course.)

					-- Bob Rogers

Subject: Re: Bug in build 1.5pre6 on 4.2 BSDI
From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
To: Jason Quigley <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:09:15 -0400

   From: Jason Quigley <[email-masked]>
   Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:37:34 +0200

   Hi!

   You *definitely* need to use gmake on FreeBSD 4.2.

   I have:

   libtool-1.3.4_2     Generic shared library support script
   gcc-2.8.1           Latest and greatest version of the GNU compiler suite
   autoconf-2.13       Automatically configure source code on many Un*x 
   platforms
   automake-1.4        GNU Standards-compliant Makefile generator
   gmake-3.79.1        GNU version of 'make' utility

   and any dependencies as my build environment. These are all in 
   /usr/ports.

   Cheers,
   Jason.

I seem to recall that the only absolute requirement to install netatalk
is GNU make (and maybe gcc).  The others (plus m4) should only be needed
for development.  True?

					-- Bob Rogers

---

From: Karen A Swanberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 17:18:36 -0500 (CDT)

> Corrections welcome, of course.)

Thanks for the pointers. 

However, this isn't working with my config. Errors everywhere, due to
differing directory structures, I believe (I'm on OpenBSD 2.8).  I already
have all of the tools mentioned above and in INSTALL.txt for developers.
Is there someone who would be willing to help me through this off-list? Or
should I move it to netatalk-dev? If I get up and running as a legit
tester, I promise to write documentation. Seriously.

-Karen

*                                                     *
Karen Swanberg              |