Subject: Netatalk problems, the saga continues (falling from chooser etc.)

From: Bas van der Linden <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 10:45:39 +0200

Hi all,

Some days ago I mailed to the list with some problems, one of them being that
the server falls off the chooser and reappears again. This is completely random
behavior, there's no telling when that happens (at least not to me :).

One of the tips you gave me was that Intel Eepro/100 NIC's were known to have
some problems, expecially with multicasting. 

I disabled the onboard nic and added a 3Com 3c905c-tx to see if that helped.
Unfortunately it didn't.

The problems I am experiencing are:

- Server falling off the chooser and reappearing again
- Other computers suddenly not showing up on the chooser anymore (where before
  the netatalk server was installed they did)
- Writes to the server occasionally stall (I just experienced a stall for about
  5-10 minutes when writing a <1 mb flas animation)
- general stalls when accessing the server occasionally (for instance when doing
  a directory lookup)

I don't see any errors in logfiles, other than standard things I would expect.
Things like this:
Jul  2 08:06:02 fileserver2 afpd[6078]: ASIP session:548(2) from 195.193.216.36:49166(0)
Jul  2 08:06:02 fileserver2 afpd[6078]: login noauth
Jul  2 08:06:02 fileserver2 afpd[6078]: login nobody (uid 99, gid 99)
Jul  2 08:06:11 fileserver2 afpd[6078]: logout nobody
Jul  2 08:06:11 fileserver2 afpd[6078]: 3.21KB read, 5.44KB written
Jul  2 08:06:11 fileserver2 afpd[712]: server_child[1] 6078 done

That looks normal to me :)

I haven't seen errors about networks or nics being resetted at all (wich was the
sometimes the case with Intel Eepro/100).

I'm running RH Linux 6.2, kernel 2.4.3, netatalk 1.4b2+asu-2.1.4-0.

These are my configs:

---- afpd.conf ----

# We are defining 2 servers here, one permits access to the general share, one permits access to the 'sys' share.
# The standard server should permit access to the general share.

- -tcp -ipaddr 195.193.216.32 -nocrlf -guest -nocleartext -guestname "nobody"

# The next server should permit to the 'sys' share

"SYS Server" -tcp -ipaddr 195.193.216.32 -port 12000 -loginmesg "Deze share is alleen voor toegang tot de 'sys' share!" -defaultvol /etc/atalk/sys-server/AppleVolumes.default -systemvol /etc/atalk/sys-server/AppleVolumes.system -nocrlf -guest -nocleartext

---- atalkd.conf ----

eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65310.10

---- config ----

AFPD_MAX_CLIENTS=50
ATALK_NAME=fileserver
ATALK_BGROUND=no
AFPD_RUN=yes
PAPD_RUN=yes

And this is the result of 'nbplkup':

                     SYS Server:AFPServer                          65310.10:129
                     fileserver:AFPServer                          65310.10:128
                     fileserver:netatalk                           65310.10:4
                     fileserver:Workstation                        65310.10:4
                711401-1BD09C78:Miramar AppleTalk Stack            65467.216:255
                           MAYA:Windows NT Workstation             65467.216:0
                           MAYA:AFPServer                          65467.216:129
                 RobÕs Computer:Multi-User Client                  65280.128:48
                 RobÕs Computer:  Power Macintosh                  65280.128:252
                 RobÕs Computer:Workstation                        65280.128:4
         Marco Klein's computer:  Power Macintosh                  65280.128:252
         Marco Klein's computer:Workstation                        65280.128:4
                               :ARA - Personal Server              65280.128:2
                      <Unnamed>:  Power Macintosh                  65280.128:252
       0100356122|ñRobHooG3ÿxø:QuarkXPress<                       65425.120:248
                       RobHooG3:RRNOTIFY                           65425.120:251
                      Notify|78:PipeNotify                         65425.120:250
                       RobHooG3:Multi-User Client                  65425.120:48
                       RobHooG3:  Power Macintosh                  65425.120:252
                       RobHooG3:Workstation                        65425.120:4
                       RobTesG3:Multi-User Client                  65280.128:48
                       RobTesG3:  Power Macintosh                  65280.128:252
                       RobTesG3:Workstation                        65280.128:4
               Fiery_5750_Print:EFI-NamedAppQueues                 65280.220:129
                Fiery_5750_Hold:EFI-NamedAppQueues                 65280.220:130
                     Fiery_5750:EFI-AppQueue                       65280.220:129
              Fiery_5750_Direct:EFI-NamedAppQueues                 65280.220:128
                Fiery_5750_Hold:LaserWriter                        65280.220:130
               Fiery_5750_Print:LaserWriter                        65280.220:129
              Fiery_5750_Direct:LaserWriter                        65280.220:128
Marco Klein & PartnersÕs Comput:AFPServer                          65287.47:247
320EE7BA04D14CAF30433B09CEE8C5CC:NSCP                               65287.47:248
Marco Klein & PartnersÕs Comput:ADServer                           65287.47:251
Marco Klein & PartnersÕs Comput:  Power Macintosh                  65287.47:252
Marco Klein & PartnersÕs Comput:Workstation                        65287.47:4
                          dtp 4:PipeAqua                           65413.175:249
                      Notify|af:PipeNotify                         65413.175:239
                8600Õs Computer:ARA - Personal Server              65413.175:2
                8600Õs Computer:Multi-User Client                  65413.175:48
                8600Õs Computer:  Power Macintosh                  65413.175:252
                8600Õs Computer:Workstation                        65413.175:4
               LaserWriter 8500:LaserWriter                        20.130:129
          LaserWriter 16/600 PS:LaserWriter                        1.129:129

If anyone has some advice for me, I'd be really happy to hear it!

Hope you had a good weekend and will have a good day,

Bas van der Linden

-- 
B.J.J. van der Linden           	-=- 
Brouwersgracht 132               Amaze Internet Services
1013 HA Amsterdam                	-=-
Tel:	+31-20-4688336		   Linux/Web/Zope/SQL
Fax:	+31-20-4688337		   Network Solutions
Web:	http://www.amaze.nl	     Consultancy
Email:	[email-masked]			-=-