Subject: lost AppleDesktop data!

From: Flint Million <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:36:49 -0500 (EST)

Is there a way to rebuild the desktop data with netatalk? I transferred my
netatalk shared directory to a new partition, but forgot to copy the
.AppleDesktop folder, and now all applications have the plain old "paper
with pencil" icon. Can I restore the icons, or do I actually have to
re-copy every single file?? (Believe me, this is a software archive
server, and it would take a long time to copy everything over again.) BTW
I did remember to copy the .AppleDouble folder, so all the applications
run OK, they just don't have their icons.
 Thanks for any help.

netatalk 1.4+asun1.2
linux 2.2.16 in an i486

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:28:35 -0800 (PST)

You can try rebuilding the desktop (see your MacOS manual on that), but I
don't know if that will bring back your icons or not.  If that doesn't
work, you'll just have to open up one file of each file type and resave it
(forcing the AppleDesktop icon and file type data to be rewritten).  

> run OK, they just don't have their icons.

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/

---

From: Flint Million <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:47:09 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Marc Miller wrote:

> don't know if that will bring back your icons or not.

Hmmmm... I'm not sure how to do that on a network drive. I know you can
rebuild the desktop on the HD by holding down something like
Command-option while booting, but that doesn't work on net drives.

> If that doesn't
OK, that works for those apps that actually save data, but some of the
apps do not have any save features (mostly because they don't need
them)...

---

From: Rick Zeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:12:51 -0500

I have a problem when mounting a netatalk (1.4b2+asun2.14) volume from a
Mac.  While it's mounting, the Mac goes of into cyberspace and
"afp_enumerate: stat <filename>: No such file or directory" shows up in
messages.  After about 20 seconds, the Mac comes back and mounting proceeds
normally.

I suspect that this was a Mac file that I deleted from linux itself, not
from a Mac.  There's no file or folder called that, nor is there any
.AppleDoubles with that name.

Any help how I can get rid of this?  Tnx.
-- 
_______________________________
You say you are lying.  But if everything you say is a lie, then you are
telling the truth.  You cannot tell the truth because everything you say
is a lie.  You lie, you tell the truth...but you cannot, for you lie.
   --Norman the android, "I, Mudd"           <mailto:[email-masked]>