Subject: Re: logging in

From: Ken Gillett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 19:15:37 +0000

This all seems a bit major. Netatalk's refusal to allow any login 
other that guest makes it useless for me at the moment. Please, who 
is actually compiling 1.5.1.1 and getting it to successfully work. 
Perhaps you could assist us in choosing the correct configure options 
or whatever the solution may be. My Mandrake rpm did at least work so 
it is possible.

There seem to be some issues with the compilation (or not) of the 
uams. Rolf and I both found that the dhx uams hadn't been made. 
Anyone any ideas what's occurring here?

At 5:57 pm +0100 14/2/02, Rolf Schoepfer wrote:
>First I had a problem, that some uams where missing ( also dhx ). 
>After some help from Thomas Kaiser I found out, that compiling more 
>than once didn't work in netatalk source. I changed some configure 
>parameter, but it didn't seem to change. Solution: tar xvf before 
>every next compilation. After I did it like that, uam_dhx.so was 
>there and error messages in syslog were gone.
>But still, Password won't be accepted. To solve this problem, deep 
>knowledge of authentication is needed. Once we know that, maybe it's 
>possible to set right configure parameters.

-- 

Ken  G i l l e t t

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:49:33 -0800

>> Solution: tar xvf before

That's right, good point. Ken, start with a fresh source tree before you
recompile.

Steve

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Feb 2002 14:51:37 -0500

configure --with-pam --with-shadow works just ducky for me on a myriad
of different Linux distros and versions (though not Mandrake).

-- 

Matthew Keller
Enterprise System Analyst
Computing & Technology Services
Information Services Division
State University of NY at Potsdam
Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/

---

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:57:06 -0800

Oh, and by the way, the reason you don't need to specify --with-shadow on
the configure line is because Netatalk defaults to using PAM, and your PAM
is in turn set to use /etc/shadow.

Steve

---

From: Ken Gillett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:05:22 +0000

>That's right, good point. Ken, start with a fresh source tree before you

I can't see why you can't 'make clean' before re-compiling?

The [src]etc/uams/.deps folder has empty files for the random and dhx 
uams which I guess explains why they don't get compiled, but why did 
configure do that when I specified 'with-shadow'?

>Did you uninstall the Mandrake RPM?

Yup. I'm not running a Mandrake distro, but they had an rpm that 
installed quite happily on my LPPC install.

>is in turn set to use /etc/shadow.

Well I can happily report that it is now fixed. I found that there 
was NO /etc/pam.d/netatalk file. It had been installed as 
/etc/pam.d/etc/pam.d/netatalk. Not sure how configure got that wrong, 
but when I moved it to the appropriate location all works perfectly - 
so far.

Is this your problem Rolf?
-- 

Ken  G i l l e t t

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:38:18 -0800

> I can't see why you can't 'make clean' before re-compiling?

There's a known problem with make clean/mrproper, etc., that is not easily
solvable, from what I understand.

> configure do that when I specified 'with-shadow'?

I'm not sure... I don't know the code.

Glad you got the problem fixed. I've forwarded your comments out that file
mislocation to the developers.

Steve

---

From: Stew Benedict <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 22:03:39 -0500 (EST)

> or whatever the solution may be. My Mandrake rpm did at least work so 

Why don't you just look at the spec of the Mandrake RPM (my package) and
use those compile options?

Stew Benedict

---

From: Ken Gillett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 08:34:51 +0000

>use those compile options?

Because I didn't think of it.

Don't you just hate a smartass. <g>

I don't think I have the src rpm, if not I'll grab it.

Thanks for that.
-- 

Ken  G i l l e t t

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/