Subject: doc types

From: "Black, Nathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 12:55:26 -0600

Hello again
I'm a long time Linux user but an overnight want-a-be appletalk/ddp guru.  

Any body have any idea for what to put as doc type for documents created by
the program Press Touch by Scitex/Creo?  Or a resource that might explain
more about what that AppleVolume.system information file syntax is?

I put .job and just set it as a binary (BINA) I think, that didn't change
anything but made me hopeful.  

Thanks, 
Nathan

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 22:01:31 +0100

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 12:55:26 -0600, Black, Nathan wrote:

> the program Press Touch by Scitex/Creo?

On a macintosh, you can use tools like FileTyper or ResEdit to look for
filetype and creator code of specific mac files. You can use ResEdit to look
into an application's BNDL resource to see, for which kind of files this
application is registered.

There exists a filetype/creator code database that is searchable, IIRC:
<http://www.angelfire.com/mac/tcdb/main.html>

> Or a resource that might explain more about what that AppleVolume.system
> information file syntax is?

It's simple. You need only three entries per line: extension, filetype and
creator code, eg.:

    .pdf      "PDF "  "CARO"

Regards,

Thomas