Subject: File Permissions

From: "Kelly S. Smelser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 11:09:19 -0500

I am trying to setup a class "Deliver File" volume in which members
of the UNIX group associated with University faculty have RX access and
students have WX access.  That is, students may write to the volume but
may not view the submissions to the volume by other students.  What I
found is that despire the fact that the directory permissions in UNIX
are set to RWXR-X-WX there is a problem because Macintosh files are not
copied with proper permissions on them.  Thus, we find files gaining
permissions in the "Deliver File" that they should not have because they
are not properly assuming the permissions of the parent directory.  I've
been looking over man pages and haven't found a way to solve this
problem.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

K.

--
Kelly S. Smelser
Labs Manager, Client Services (Information & Technology Services)
Univeristy of Indianapolis

---

From: Karen A Swanberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 15:14:13 -0500 (CDT)

> problem.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Does your unix support the 'sticky bit'? This is a flag you can set to
make all subdirectories (and files?) inherit the permissions of the parent
folder. But not all unix platforms support it.  Let us know which unix
you're using, and we may be able to give more specific info.

-Karen

-                                                                  -
    Karen Swanberg | Sys Admin | Dept. of Geology and Geophysics    
206 Pillsbury Hall | 310 Pillsbury Ave. SE | University of Minnesota
     Minneapolis, MN 55455  (612) 624-6541  (612) 625-3819 (f)

              * <---- Tribble   . <--- Tribble.tgz