Subject: papd seems be stuck

From: "Paul Moore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 22:20:55 -0500

hello,

i am running netatalk 1.5pre6 on redhat 7.1 with a 2.4.13 kernel, my problem
involves papd getting stuck whenever i send a print job.  before i get into
details here are the relevant portions of my printcap and papd.conf files ...

* printcap
default:\
        :sh:\
        :ml=0:\
        :mx=0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/default:\
        :rm=192.168.0.15:\
        :rp=L1:\
        :lpd_bounce=true:\
        :if=/usr/share/printconf/mf_wrapper:

* papd.conf
epson800:\
        :pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Pdefault:\
        :pd=/etc/atalk/ppd/aplwntr1.ppd:\
        :sp:\
        :ca:\
        :am=uams_clrtxt.so:

as you can see i have the netatalk server acting as a 'gateway' to a dedicated
print server.  the print server is a netgear ps110 with an epson stylus color
800 attached.  i have apple file sharing, samba sharing and printing, as well as
normal lpr printing working without problems ... pap seems to be giving me grief
however.

the only messages papd sends to syslog are the following ...

Nov  7 21:54:10 server papd[11461]: Authentication enabled: epson800
Nov  7 21:54:10 server papd[11461]: register epson800:LaserWriter@*
Nov  7 21:54:10 server papd[11461]: uam: uams_clrtxt.so loaded
Nov  7 21:54:18 server papd[11461]: child 11470 for "epson800" from 65280.76
Nov  7 21:54:32 server PAM_pwdb[11470]: (netatalk) session opened for user kcols
on by (uid=0)
Nov  7 21:54:32 server papd[11470]: Login ClearTxtUAM: kcolson
Nov  7 21:54:32 server PAM_pwdb[11470]: (netatalk) session closed for user kcols
on
Nov  7 21:56:02 server papd[11461]: child 11470 done

i took a look at the traffic between the linux box and the mac (os 8.6.5 running
laserwriter 8.6.5) and it appears that the mac keeps sending some status request
message (small 8 to 12 byte ddp data) and the server occasionally sends a status
message that it is spooling to the printer, this message is displayed on the
mac's status dialog.  i took a quick look at the papd source and it is the
default status message.  this goes on for  about two minutes then the mac seems
to hit some timeout and cancels the job saying communication was established but
the printer is not responding.

has anyone seen this before, and/or more importantly can anyone offer any
advice?

thanks,

.... [email-masked] .... www.alumni.engin.umich.edu/~pcmoore ....