Subject: netatalk problem

From: "Waleed Alrawi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:23:06 -0700

Greetings

I have spend around 32hrs trying to make this work, and counting.

I have the following situation i am running netatalk 1.5pre2-4.i386.rpm on
2.2.17-14smp( I have tried other rpms) kernel (rh6.2). on the apple side I
am running a Mac compatible using Mac OS 7.6 200MHz and 64Meg ram. Again, I
can see the Linux box in the chooser However, I cannot write to the Linux
box. I get the following error: The item cannot be written because it is
locked or the disk is full or locked.". any ideas or suggestions I have
spent many hours trying to figure this one out.
Oh by the way it does crate an empty file on the linux box.

Please respond to me directly or cc me since I am not on the mailing list.

the following is a partial list of my messages:
"
Apr 11 14:48:43 faa atalkd[1292]: restart (1.5pre5)
Apr 11 14:48:44 faa atalkd[1292]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Apr 11 14:49:03 faa last message repeated 2 times
Apr 11 14:49:13 faa atalkd[1292]: config for no router
Apr 11 14:49:14 faa atalkd[1292]: ready 0/0/0
Apr 11 14:49:14 faa atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
Apr 11 14:49:26 faa papd[1303]: restart (1.5pre5)
Apr 11 14:49:26 faa atalk: papd startup succeeded
Apr 11 14:49:27 faa atalk: timelord startup succeeded
Apr 11 14:49:27 faa atalk: afpd startup succeeded
Apr 11 14:49:33 faa timelord[1312]: faa:TimeLord started
Apr 11 14:49:33 faa afpd[1321]: faa:AFPServer@* started on 65280.174:252
(1.5pre5)
Apr 11 14:49:33 faa afpd[1321]: ASIP started on 192.168.1.50:548(1)
(1.5pre5)
Apr 11 14:49:33 faa afpd[1321]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
Apr 11 14:49:33 faa afpd[1321]: uam: uams_clrtxt.so loaded
Apr 11 14:49:33 faa afpd[1321]: uam: uams_dhx.so loaded
Apr 11 14:49:33 faa afpd[1321]: uam: "DHCAST128" available
Apr 11 14:49:33 faa afpd[1321]: uam: "Cleartxt Passwrd" available
Apr 11 14:49:33 faa afpd[1321]: uam: "No User Authent" available
Apr 11 14:53:28 faa afpd[1326]: session from 65280.1:243 on 65280.174:253
Apr 11 14:53:28 faa afpd[1326]: cleartext login: walrawi
Apr 11 14:53:28 faa PAM_pwdb[1326]: (netatalk) session opened for user
walrawi by (uid=0)
Apr 11 14:53:28 faa afpd[1326]: login walrawi (uid 500, gid 500)
Apr 11 15:00:41 faa afpd[1326]: setdirowner: chown -1/0
.AppleDouble/.Parent: Operation not permitted

Thanks for your healp

---

From: Cliff Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:25:08 -0400

>    .AppleDouble/.Parent: Operation not permitted

It looks like you can't write to the .AppleDouble directory in your home
directory.  Check the permissions on it.  Also, it's a good idea to
setgid all your shared directories (i.e. do "chmod g+s" on all of them)
so that any new files and folders created in them will be in the same
group as the parent directory; this helps prevent permissions problems.

-- 
Cliff Crawford                      silent butterfly
                               alights upon caps lock key
http://www.sowrong.org/              invalid login