Subject: RE: atalklogger

From: "Heath Henderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 17:17:10 -0500

Has anyone seen big or even slight problems with system 9.1 and the
following.
We are looking to update from 8.6 and I am ready to go to system 9.0.4, but
some say we should be ok going to 9.1.  Please let me know what is going on
in Mac Land!

Currently
Mac OS X Server 1.0.2
Macintosh Manager 1.4.1
System 8.6 on all works fine.
with

Quark 4.1 Express and Passport
Photoshop 5.5
Pagemaker 6.5.2
Illustrator 8.0.2
ATM Deluxe
Appleworks 5.0.4
and Agfa Snap Scan (version 3.x something I think)
Office 2001 Word, Excel, and Powerpoint

I think this is it.  We also use mounted volumes from Macintosh Manager
(Shared Folders/Drives) to a Netatalk server (asun 2.1.4-7 I think.)

If there are any problems that people have had directly related to 9.1 or
9.0.4 please let me know as I want to get this moving!!

Thanks

Heath Henderson

-----Original Message-----
From: Appletalk on Linux [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Alessandra La Spina
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 9:25 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: atalklogger

Hello,

I'm looking for a atalkd logger . Searching in the LINUX-ATALK archive I
discovered that someone (Benjamin Gilbert ) has already written such a
script. But the server prism.simplenet.com (the url from where you could
download the file was http://prism.simplenet.com/atalklogger.tcl.gz) does
not exist anymore. Can anyone help me to retrieve the file o suggest me
something similar?
Thanks.

Alessandra La Spina
__________________________
Dipartimento di Matematica
Universita' di Pisa

---

From: Luke McNeilage <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 10:52:40 +1000

You will have to upgrade your ATM, but the allover performance of 9.1 is
great. You may wish to turn off the multi-user and security features. It has
no troubles with netatalk.
-- 
Luke McNeilage
Technical Director
D2P (Australasia) Pty Ltd
[email-masked]
Tel: +61 (0)3 9429 3233  Fax: +61 (0)3 9427 0929
Mobile: 0419 512 868  Web: www.d2p.com.au

> From: Heath Henderson <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> Date:        Wed, 1 Aug 2001 17:17:10 -0500
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: atalklogger
>

---

From: "Heath Henderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 18:13:21 -0500

Sorry for the previous post.  Subject was wrong.

Here it is again?

Currently
Mac OS X Server 1.0.2
Macintosh Manager 1.4.1

Thanks

Heath Henderson

-----Original Message-----

Hello,

Alessandra La Spina

---

From: [email-masked] (Lee Blevins)
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 07:09:31 -0400

> some say we should be ok going to 9.1.  Please let me know what is going on
snip

My shop does not run 9.1 on anything. We see no improvement over 9.0.4
and a host of bugs and problems.

---

From: Jim Bailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 12:08:36 +0000

Hi,

we run a mix of OS 9.1 for our designers, OS X for those who like to 
live danerously, windows 2000, windows 98 for some of our project 
managers and Linux and BSD clients for our coders as well as CVS for our 
development work.  we have most of the applications you list and then 
some but our backend is made up of FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Red Hat 6.2 soon 
to be replaced by Debian, cuz  I like it and I can. ;-)

Our Mac user seem very happy with what they use and don't bother me much 
with buggy stuff our file and print services are a bit fscked but then 
in my brief period sys admining Macs I have rapidly learnt that Netatalk 
sucks and until recently so did our physical network, however recent LAN 
upgrades have helped and we hope that changing to Debian will help.

If you give us more specifics about your problems we may be able to help 
further.

Cheers Jim

Netscape is no stranger to bugs, the way Jeffery Archer is no stranger 
to lies.

--Bruce Richardson

---

From: Tom Lane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 02:42:46 -0400

> Has anyone seen big or even slight problems with system 9.1 and the

FWIW, my wife's seen a lot of instability with PageMaker 6.5.2 on a
just-purchased Cube with 9.1.  (Not that it had no bugs under her
ancient 8100/8.1 setup, but she'd learned to deal with those.  On 9.1
the same app is dangling on the edge of unusable.)  Not a netatalk
issue, since she's never used netatalk on either configuration.

We're hoping that the new PM 7.0 release works better ...

			regards, tom lane