Subject: Quick Question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:34:01 -0500

I have Red Hat 7.0 running and recently downloaded the 1.5pre4 RPM and it
install without a problem, however, only guests can log in.. The FAQ states that
this is because netatalk needs to be compiled with shadow support.. Is there any
way I can get shadow support with the RPM?

-Steve

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 11:31:18 -0500

> way I can get shadow support with the RPM?

The problem is that 1.5pre4 had broken DHX login support.

Grab the 1.5pre5 release that is on sourceforge now; it should fix that
problem.

jeff

---

From: C <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:34:17 -0600

> way I can get shadow support with the RPM?
Probably not. But don't let that discourage you from downloading the
*source* RPM and recompiling it yourself. The INSTALL document gives plenty
of instruction on how to compile, and the "configure" script should do a
decent job of setting all the compile variables for you - including the PAM
and shadow support.

http://ftp1.sourceforge.net/netatalk/netatalk-1.5pre5-1.src.rpm

-- 
C.

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 07:53:38 +1100

> way I can get shadow support with the RPM?

 Do NOT compile in shadow support for RedHat 7. It will not work, as
/etc/shadow has MD5 password hashes instead of the traditional 'crypt'
hash.
 NetAtalk needs to use PAM on a RedHat box (and any other PAM enabled
distribution).

 More likely you have a NetAtalk UAM or PAM config problem.

 I have found with RH7 that the users Unix passwords HAVE to be less
than 8 characters, the standard Appleshare pasword lenght. The MD5
password hash is signficant to ALL characters of a password unlike the
old crypt system that ignored any thing after 8 characters. So users
with longer passwords can't login as they can't type it all in.

 I think the problem exists with DHX as well, as something still expects
to need only 8 characters of the password...

---

From: Chris Harwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 11:34:34 -0500 (EST)

> to need only 8 characters of the password...

ummmmm.....

having more than 8 character password for dhx login + MD5 + shadow
+redhat-7.0 works for me.

here is my config:

netatalk-1.5pre3-1mdk
Linux 2.4.0 #2 Fri Jan 19 14:36:46 EST 2001 i686 unknown
redhat 7.0 + updates

cat /etc/pam.d/netatalk

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
#password   required    /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
#password   required    /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow use_authtok
session    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

cat /etc/pam.d/system-auth

#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
# User changes will be destroyed the next time authconfig is run.
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok md5
shadow
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so
account     sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so
account     required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so
password    required      /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5
shadow
password    required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so
session     required      /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

and from /etc/atalk/afpd.conf:

 -uamlist uams_dhx.so

which looks to /etc/atalk/uams/uams_dhx.so
- actually a link: uams_dhx.so -> uams_dhx_pam.so

i've made no pam changes and configured MD5 and shadow at install time (i
think this could be done post-install through authconfig?)

of course, i'm still sorting through other (possible netatlk related)
problems - claims of dissapearing folders (which i haven't managed to
verify yet) and those afpd /var/log/messages others are seeing:

afpd[15313]: setdirowner: chown -1/0 .AppleDouble/.Parent: Operation not permitted
afpd[18245]: setdirowner: chown 16777216/-1 .AppleDouble/.Parent: Operation not permitted
afpd[18245]: setdirowner: chown 16777216/-1 .AppleDouble: Operation not permitted
afpd[18245]: setdirowner: chown 16777216/-1 .: Operation not permitted
afpd[18245]: setdirowner: chown -1/0 .AppleDouble/.Parent: Operat

which i've been assuming just means i don't have file/dir ownerships,
groups and g+s all working happily together.

anyway, long passwords work fine for me - what's different?

-- 
chris
[email-masked]