Subject: Re: Hidden Files Not Being Copied

From: Duncan Sinclair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:39:42 +0000

Hi,

Bob Rogers writes:
>   From: Duncan Sinclair <[email-masked]>
>   Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:55:38 +0000
>
>   The fact is that dot files on Unix and hidden files on Mac exist
>   is really for the same reason - to keep important-to-the-system,
>   but un-important-to-the-user, files away from the user so that
>   they can get on with their tasks without extra hassle.
>
>I would go further.  Dot-files on Unix generally exist for Unix-specific
>purposes, and hidden files on the Mac exist for Mac-specific purposes,
>so it is pointless at best, and possibly counterproductive, to move them
>from Unix to Mac or vice versa.  That is why I think netatalk's default
>behavior with respect to dot-files is optimal.

And how about files like ".htaccess"?

If you're developing a web site on your Mac for delivery on Apache
running on Unix, you've got every right and reason to be wanting
to edit dot files.

Cheers,

Duncan.

---

From: Ray Zimmerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:59:21 -0500

>running on Unix, you've got every right and reason to be wanting

So, does anyone know if it is possible with the current netatalk 
config options to set it up so that the Mac can see dotfiles as 
VISIBLE files?

	Ray

---

From: Basil Hussain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 18:07:15 +0000

> running on Unix, you've got every right and reason to be wanting

Or at least have them copied when you duplicate/copy a directory containing
them... Having them visible to edit too would be even better.

This was my original gripe that started this whole discussion!

Regards,

------------------------------------------------
Basil Hussain ([email-masked])

---

From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:07:35 -0500

From: Duncan Sinclair <[email-masked]>
   Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:39:42 +0000

   Hi,

   Bob Rogers writes:
   > . . .

   Cheers,

   Duncan.

Granted; I assume that's why there's apparently a "usedots" switch that
changes the default.  I'm just arguing that the current default is the
sanest thing to do for most installations.  (Which, of course, mirrors
my prejudices about who is using netatalk, and for what.)

					-- Bob