Subject: Re: No write access

From: "Henrik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 12:32:48 +0100

I am the owner of the folder.
>From the Mac I can create subfolders but I can't copy files to my linux-box.
The mac complains about that the file is locked and when I try do delete a
file I get the message that I don't have write access.
Is there any settings to be done on my Linux-box and/or for netatalk. Is
there anything I must do on my Mac to be able to write to my Linux-box. I
can tell that reading files works fine.
Please help.
//Henrik

>who is the owner of the Parent Directory you are placing the folder in.  It
has to be you.  >Group I believe must also match a group you belong to.
>Heath Henderson

-----Original Message-----
Hi.

When I try to put files in my shared linux folder from the Mac it tells me
that I don't have write access. How do I get it? The folder has the mode 777
so I thought that I would have the right to write to it.
Please help.

Thanks
Henrik

---

From: Jason Quigley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 14:05:44 +0100

Hi!

Try sending us a small portion of the directory listing from the Linux
machine. Also, telling us what version of server software you're using would
help.

Cheers,
Jason.

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 08:26:52 -0600 (CST)

I get the same "locking" message with RH7 and the Pre 5.

-Dan

--

---

From: Chris Harwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 10:48:59 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, ?Henrik? wrote:
[snip]
> has to be you.  >Group I believe must also match a group you belong to.

Do I understand this statement correctly, that the user must be the owner
of the parent directory !?

I had thought the user needed (read), write and execute permissions in the
parent directory

 - either 1) by being the user (UID) which owns it
 drwx______

 - or 2) in the group (GID) which own's it
d___rwx___

 - or 3) simply having a system account and having other's permissions
being rwx
d______rwx

Am I missing something?

To what extent is ultimate permission (for the user on the client)
determined by netatalk and to what extent by the underlying file system
(i.e. ext2)? What is the mapping here?

thanks,

-- 
chris
[email-masked]

---

From: "Henrik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 13:17:58 +0100

Hi.

Here is the home directory of the user I log in from my Mac as:

drwxrwsrwx  10 henrik   henrik       4096 Mar 10 12:13 .
drwxrwxrwx   3 henrik   henrik       4096 Mar  8 21:56 ..
drwxrwsrwx   2 henrik   henrik       4096 Mar  9 11:51 .AppleDouble
-rw-------   1 henrik   henrik       4433 Mar 10 12:02 .bash_history
-rw-r--r--   1 henrik   henrik        328 Mar  9 00:05 .bash_profile
-rw-r--r--   1 henrik   henrik        513 Mar  9 11:25 .bashrc
-rw-r--r--   1 henrik   henrik       2148 Mar  9 11:04 .dir_colors
drwxrwsrwx   5 henrik   henrik       4096 Mar  9 09:22 Network Trash Folder
drwxrwsrwx   3 henrik   henrik       4096 Mar  8 23:50
TheVolumeSettingsFolder
drwxrwsrwx   5 henrik   henrik       4096 Mar 10 12:01 test

Here is a piece of me passwd-file (if it might be of any help):

root:1/RxbpdCkXTfM:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
bin:!:1000:100::/home/bin:
henrik:/mk8hq6XJDaeE:2:10:henrik:/home/henrik:/bin/bash

Hope you can help me now
Henrik