Subject: Re: [Netatalk-devel] 1.5pre8

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 13:12:57 +0100

I'm trying to install this version of netatalk on Redhat linux 7.1, but keep
seeing these messages when I do a make install I get this:

/usr/bin/install -c -m 644 maccode.* /usr/local/atalk/etc/netatalk/nls
can't open maccode.437
can't open maccode.850
can't open maccode.iso8859-1
can't open maccode.iso8859-1.adapted

configured with

--prefix=/usr/local/atalk --enable-redhat --without-pam --with-tcp-wrappers
--with-did=last

Apologies if this has been answered previously.

Cheers,

Roger.

At 05/10/2001 14:20:25, jeff <[email-masked]> wrote:
#  netatalk 1.5pre8 has been released, and is available on sourceforge. It
#  fixes many known problems with 1.5pre7, so all 1.5pre7 installs should
#  be upgraded to this version.
#
#  http://sourceforge.net/projects/netatalk
#
#  (With apologies for the cross-post.)
#
#  Jeff
#
#
#  _______________________________________________
#  Netatalk-devel mailing list
#  [email-masked]
#  https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/netatalk-devel
#

---

From: Michael Bartosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:32:12 -0600

Whenever I build netatalk I get:

cd . && /home/mbartosh/netatalk-1.5pre8/missing autoheader
/bin/sh: /home/mbartosh/netatalk-1.5pre8/missing: No such file or 
directory
make: *** [stamp-h.in] Error 127

...literally right after I type "make"

I tried configuring with

./configure --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl --with-shadow --with-pam 
--enable-suse --disable-ddp

and then just with ./configure to test.

I've never really had any problems with netatalk before, so I'm a bit 
perplexed.

Thanks-

-mab

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 20:40:39 +0200

> ...literally right after I type "make"

The problem is that pre8 is delivered with symlinks to missing and
mkinstalldirs instead of literal versions. This is a packaging bug. If
you have automake installed, replace the symlinks in the netatalk
directory by links to the correct file. (They may be in
/usr/local/share/automake, depending on your installation.)

If you haven't installed automake, you may look for these files in
other tar-balls, you might have. They should be distributed with every
program that uses automake to build.

 - Sebastian

---

From: Michael Bartosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:02:51 -0600

I have 1.5pre8 installed.... but when running the rc script, I get this 
in the logs:

Oct 16 17:59:59 4am afpd[25036]: uam : Loading 
(/etc/atalk/uams/uams_clrtxt.so)
Oct 16 17:59:59 4am afpd[25036]: uam: uam not found (status=-1)
Oct 16 17:59:59 4am afpd[25036]: uam : Loading 
(/etc/atalk/uams/uams_dhx.so)
Oct 16 17:59:59 4am afpd[25036]: uam: uam not found (status=-1)

Sure 'nuff, the file is there, but:

mbartosh@4am:~ > file /etc/atalk/uams/uams_clrtxt.so
/etc/atalk/uams/uams_clrtxt.so: broken symbolic link to uams_pam.so
mbartosh@4am:~ > file /etc/atalk/uams/uams_dhx.so
/etc/atalk/uams/uams_dhx.so: broken symbolic link to uams_dhx_pam.so

AND it seems that the files do not exist on my system.

Ideas?

-mab

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 00:26:09 +0200

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 04:02:51PM -0600, Michael Bartosh wrote:

> I have 1.5pre8 installed....

pre8 is buggy - it doesn't build the PAM modules properly. See the patch to
configure.in I posted here recently.

 - Sebastian