Subject: OS X and Netatalk

From: "Ivan Fritz, AIS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:26:24 -0700

Hello,

        I recently upgraded to RedHat linux 7.2 and am running netatalk
(althogh to be honest I'm not sure which version- either 1.3 or 1.4b2).
Netatalk used to work with OS X, but now when I try to connect with my OSX
machine it will log me in, give me my selection of shares, but then
disconnect right before it actually mounts.  The log gives me this error:

Feb 27 08:37:05 arcosvr afpd[9671]: login ivan (uid 500, gid 501)
Feb 27 08:37:15 arcosvr afpd[9671]: dsi_stream_read(0): Invalid argument
Feb 27 08:37:15 arcosvr PAM_pwdb[9671]: (netatalk) session closed for user
ivan
Feb 27 08:37:15 arcosvr afpd[9671]: 0.82KB read, 8.90KB written
Feb 27 08:37:15 arcosvr afpd[9671]: Connection terminated
Feb 27 08:37:15 arcosvr afpd[921]: server_child[1] 9671 exited 1

    Everything works fine with the 30+ OS 9 clients..... Anyone have any
ideas?  

Thanks!

-Ivan

---

From: Kyle Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:40:11 -0500

> disconnect right before it actually mounts.  The log gives me this error:

Some folks see this problem, some don't, although those that do seem to have
the problem are mostly Linux Netatalk folks.  For us here, adding a login
message worked around the problem.  In afpd.conf add -loginmesg "Your
message here." down where the other options are at the bottom.

Since I'm not sure if there is an archive of the list, I'm going to repost
something I posted a couple of weeks ago regarding this.  Since I wrote it I
have gotten the issue escalated at Apple (sort of), as it looks like it
might be an OSX AFP client issue (or something *really* weird with Linux).

---
Just this morning I asked just the same thing.  The one big one seems to be
that you can't keep a server mounted via the GUI.  Even with 1.5.1.1 I get a
disconnect message right after the connect.  One of our Linux geeks sent me
this link:

<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=netatalk&m=101290312429385&w=2>

It basically steps through how to get logging going to test.  The odd thing
was that I was able to get the Netatalk volume mounted using the CLI, but
not the GUI.  I took both logs and have forwarded them to our Apple SE to
see if he can get it escalated.  BTW, the message speaks of launching the
Finder from the CLI, but doesn't give the command, so here it is:

%/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/./Finder

The really thing I discovered was that not only can I mount the volume using
the CLI, but I can also do it from the Classic Chooser (and have the volumes
available to OSX apps).
---

/kyle
---
Kyle Johnson                                     [email-masked]
Manager, Information Systems        http://www.studentaffairs.duke.edu
Duke University Student Affairs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Will build Internet Services for food.