Subject: Re: authentication troubles

From: "S.Barbaresi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:30:13 +0000 (GMT)

> >> 4) In case you are using PAM, some more details, how PAM is set up (as
> >> Sebastian asked for already)

Solaris 8/netatalk 1.5.2/PAM and authentication failure.

A complete list of syslog messages are attached. PAM is authenticating
correctly as a wrong password results in:

  Feb 20 15:22:08 steffigraf PAM: [ID 427203 auth.debug] pam_authenticate:
  error Authentication failed

A correct password results in:

  Feb 20 12:23:05 steffigraf PAM: [ID 770223 auth.debug] pam_open_session:
  error Can not make/remove entry for session

Do I have to use PAM? If not, how do I turn PAM off? If I do have to use
pam what should be in pam.conf?

Sim

S.Barbaresi 					E-mail [email-masked]
Computing Centre, UWB 				Tel (44) (01)248 382403 (ddi)
Sackville Road 					Fax (44) (01)248 383826 (ddi)
Bangor, Gwynedd LL57 1LD, UK

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:38:50 +0100

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:30:13 +0000 (GMT), S.Barbaresi wrote:

> how do I turn PAM off

Just to quote myself ;-)

| On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:51:24 +0100, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
| 
| > uams_clrtxt.so and uams_dhx.so can use different authentication
| > backends, actually uams_(dhx_)passwd.so or uams_(dhx_)pam.so
| > 
| > So both uams_clrtxt.so and uams_dhx.so are just symlinks to the
| > authentication backends, you want to use (either PAM or files like
| > /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow).

| On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:45:17 +0100, Thomas Kaiser wrote:
| 
| > The passwd uam does direct server-side authentication like looking into
| > /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow. Another alternative is uams_pam.so, which
| > does authentication via PAM. By changing the symlink for uams_clrtxt.so
| > you can choose which one to use. To avoid potential PAM-trouble I would
| > do a 'rm uams_clrtxt.so && ln -s uams_passwd.so uams_clrtxt.so' in the
| > UAMs directory.

Thomas

---

From: "S.Barbaresi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:47:34 +0000 (GMT)

> | > do a 'rm uams_clrtxt.so && ln -s uams_passwd.so uams_clrtxt.so' in the

The above did the trick.

Thankyou for your time, and sorry for wasting it.

Sim