Subject: the bizarre and the refresh

From: "Richard Goldman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 00:32:33 -0400

Dear Fellow Netatalk Users:

When using netatalk in a multi-user environment, I've encountered some 
unacceptable logic issues that crop up when one or more users have a window open 
on the same directory while another user attempts to create or rename files and 
directories at or below that level in the heirarchy.

We all, I suppose, are aware that this stuff happens, and that some of the nastier 
effects can be lessened if one forceably refreshes his/her window, either by 
closing and reopening it, or forcing and event, such as creating a new file or folder.  
Then, and only then (i.e. after a refresh) can this user become aware that another 
person has been at work in the same directory.

I've checked back through nearly three years of netatalk-admin emails, searching 
for the word "refresh" and have come up with lots of people who wonder why an 
"auto-refresh" of file views isn't there, but I have yet to come across an answer 
that explains the problem, or the complexities involved.

Could someone please explain the feasibility and the issues involved in getting 
finder file views to periodically update on their own?

Thank you in advance.

-- Richard