Subject: Connection timeouts?

From: "David J. Topper" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 20:08:24 -0400

Hi folks,

Got 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 running pretty well.  I also have TCP wrappers setup
and they seem to be working.  I'm noticing something strange though.  On
Macs with dynamic IP, the connection seems to time out after a few
minutes.  This does not seem to be the case on Macs with dynamic IPs.

Anyone have an idea of what might be going on?

Thanks,

DT
--
Technical Director, Virginia Center for Computer Music
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~djt7p
(804) 924-7355

---

From: Jason Quigley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 01:59:24 +0200

Hi David!

You might want to clarify a little - the fact that it does AND does not seem
to be the case on Macs with dynamic IPs is a little to surreal even for me!
;-)

Cheers,
Jason.

---

From: Rob Lineweaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 21:25:48 -0400

> Anyone have an idea of what might be going on?

I've heard people say that macs will lose their appleshare client
connections when their DHCP lease expires and they renew it.

So, what is your DHCP lease length time?  Can you make it something like 3
weeks?

hope this helps,

Rob Lineweaver
:)

---

From: Nicky Haan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 09:16:48 +0200

Yeah,

thats right, i use the same linux server as dhcp and atalk server and if i
reset the dhcp server al macs get disconnected, standard leasetime on linux is
a day and until now i never had any problems (mac ppl kinda dont work here for
more then a day without rebooting.. :) )

--
----------------------------------------
Nicky Haan
Unix/Linux Sysadmin / Systems Engineer
NetCASE Interactive Solutions
Dr. Nolenslaan 140
6136 GV Sittard
Netherlands
Tel: +31(0)46 420 1880
Fax: +31(0)46 420 1881
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Web: www.netcase.nl
----------------------------------------

---

From: Jason Quigley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 10:03:35 +0200

You might consider changing your policy about the lease time. When OS X
comes into more wide stream use, you'll find uptimes measured in weeks! I
can't wait until PS is native on X - this OS is great!

Cheers,
Jason.

---

From: Carsten Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 14:38:08 +0200

> Anyone have an idea of what might be going on?

This looks really weird!

Maybe you're stuck on the Heart of Gold.
That (A and not A) is true could be caused by her Infinite Improbability Drive.
You should ask Marvin!

Maybe the answer is 42?!

;-)

> DT

Kind regards, live long and prosper!

	Carsten