Subject: Can't connect to netatalk server from Mac OS X]

From: Brice D Ruth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 14:47:02 -0500

I'm running into a problem in trying to connect to a netatalk server 
(x86, running the latest mandrake rpm from sourceforge, as of yesterday) 
from a Mac OS X client. MacOS 9.1 clients have no problem connecting. 
Mac OS X is able to connect, login, display the shares I have to choose 
from, but after selecting a share and hitting 'OK' I get the following 
message from the client:

"The application Finder has unexpectedly quit.
The system and other applications have not been affected."

After hitting 'OK', I get a second message from the client:

"Disconnected
The file server "Construct" connection has unexpectedly closed down.
[Time/Date]"

On the server, I don't see anything all too crazy in the error log - 
simply this:

Jul 31 14:14:25 construct afpd[1459]: ASIP session:548(2) from 
10.0.0.11:49220(0)
Jul 31 14:14:25 construct afpd[1415]: server_child[1] 1459 done
Jul 31 14:14:30 construct afpd[1460]: ASIP session:548(2) from 
10.0.0.11:49221(0)
Jul 31 14:14:30 construct afpd[1460]: dhx login: brice
Jul 31 14:14:30 construct afpd[1460]: uams_dhx_pam.c :PAM: PAM Success 
-- No such file or directory
Jul 31 14:14:30 construct PAM_pwdb[1460]: (netatalk) session opened for 
user brice by (uid=0)
Jul 31 14:14:30 construct afpd[1460]: uams_dhx_pam.c :PAM: PAM Auth OK!: 
(null) -- Inappropriate ioctl for device
Jul 31 14:14:30 construct afpd[1460]: login brice (uid 500, gid 250)
Jul 31 14:14:30 construct afpd[1460]: afp_getsrvrparms: stat 
/raid/accounting: No such file or directory
Jul 31 14:14:30 construct afpd[1460]: afp_getsrvrparms: stat /raid/work: 
No such file or directory
Jul 31 14:14:33 construct afpd[1460]: afp_getsrvrparms: stat 
/raid/accounting: No such file or directory
Jul 31 14:14:33 construct afpd[1460]: afp_getsrvrparms: stat /raid/work: 
No such file or directory
Jul 31 14:14:33 construct afpd[1460]: dsi_stream_read(0): No such file 
or directory
Jul 31 14:14:33 construct PAM_pwdb[1460]: (netatalk) session closed for 
user brice
Jul 31 14:14:33 construct afpd[1460]: 1.79KB read, 11.25KB written
Jul 31 14:14:33 construct afpd[1460]: Connection terminated
Jul 31 14:14:33 construct afpd[1415]: server_child[1] 1460 exited 1

The stat errors are simply because /raid isn't mounted and I have 
pointers to those directories in my AppleVolumes file. As for the PAM 
messages - I dunno. Does anyone have any ideas what's going on here? Any 
pointers would be most appreciated!

Sincerely,
Brice D. Ruth