Subject: Very slow login and multiple logins

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:46:29 +0100 (CET)

I am using Mac OS 9 and Netatalk-1.42b2+asun2.1.4-0 and 
are experiencing the follwing problem.

I replaced a NT-server by a SuSE 7.0 box, some Mac's 
(with Mac os 8.x) can login quick and without a 
problem, other Mac's (with Mac OS 9) seem to freeze a 
few minutes and they request multiple logins by 
different loginnames.

Even after canceling all logins and auto-logins they 
request a login, at last, after the Mac has started 
(after several minutes), I can login very quickly! and 
it requests only one loginname.

I tried this with and without -notcp but this doesn't 
seem to help. Anyone?

With friendly regards,

Vincent

---

From: Milivoj Ivkovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:03:22 +0100

Same problem here, with MacOS 8.6!

Did you find the solution?

Where does the Mac store this login information for remounts at reboot anyway?

Hope someone has ideas...

Milivoj

---

From: Crystal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:03:45 -0600

> Hope someone has ideas...

For MacOS 9+, check in the Mac's System folder in a folder called "Servers".

You may see aliases of the servers the Mac has previously logged onto. This
generally happens when the user checks the box next to the share name,
instead of just selecting the sharename and clicking "ok". Checking the box
prompts the Mac to try to log on to that server again. Alot of my users do
that....

For MacOS 8.6 and lower, trash the AppleSharePrep file in System Folder -
Preferences. This is the file that contains info on previous servers and
whether they are marked for auto-logon.

Hope that helps.

-- 
Crystal Morillo
[email-masked]

The Kinkaid School - www.kinkaid.org

---

From: Milivoj Ivkovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:08:24 +0100

Thanks a lot to all who answered.

>Don't know if this will help but on the Macintosh, in the System Folder, 
>there is a directory named Servers. Look inside and if there are any 
>files, usually aliases or links, remove them.

Did that.

>whether they are marked for auto-logon.

Also did that.

>Hope that helps.

It did! Problem apparently solved. I applied both suggestions (on 8.6), so 
I'm not sure which solved what, but anyway it's OK. I'll try on 9.0 later 
today.

>Haben Sie die "Schlüsselbund-Funktion" von OS 9 schon probiert?

I have yet to experiment with this.

Thank you all,

Milivoj