Subject: problem starting afpd

From: Gérard Gachelin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 07:55:07 +0400

Hello,

I just installed netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.4 on an Ultrasparc server
running Solaris 8 (compilation with the Sun C compiler).

When afpd starts, it sends the following message in /var/adm/messages :

Apr 11 07:54:15 helios afpd[610]: [ID 272954 daemon.error]
uam_load(uams_dhx.so): failed to load: ld.so.1:
/usr/local/netatalk/sbin/afpd: fatal: relocation error: file
/usr/local/netatalk/etc/uams/uams_dhx.so: symbol __eprintf: referenced
symbol not found

Thanks for any help.
-- 
Gérard GACHELIN                          e-mail : [email-masked] 
Université de la Réunion                 Tél: 0262 93 82 72 
15, Avenue René Cassin - BP 7151         Fax: 0262 93 82 60
97715 Saint-Denis MESSAG-CEDEX 9

---

From: rnf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:59:10 -0400 (EDT)

> /usr/local/netatalk/etc/uams/uams_dhx.so: symbol __eprintf: referenced

Hi,

I had a similar problem because I had installed Solaris 8 without some of the 
library support that loading a "development system" gives you.

You may be able to go back and install the compatibility libraries and 
development support stuff nd make it work.

I don't know why this isn't caught at compile time with netatalk. I guess it 
just assumes the libraries are there.

I also had a system that had another AppleTalk package on it that was removed 
before netatalk was installed.  It didn't work either, probably because the 
de-install of the pld package didn't remove everything. A symptom of this was 
that the netstat command didn't work either.

I had to reinstall Solaris to fix that one.

Hope this helps,

Rick