Subject: OK, what do you call it when...

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:58:07 -0500

... when you mount a shared directory, and expand a folder (List 
view) and the icons start jumping in and out (up and down) as if the 
server see the files, then doesn't, then does, then doesn't, and 
finally settles down? Almost like the server is rearranging the list 
a few times before it settles on how many files there really are. BTW 
- No files are missing.

-Wes
-- 

-Wes Yates
[email-masked]
wesyates.homeip.net

"Of course, you realize this means war."
-B. Bunny

---

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:29:55 -0500

>	We call that "jumping icons". :-D What version of Netatalk?

Bwaaaaa Haaaa Haaa Haa haha he heh hhh  hh hz zzzzzzzzzzzz.....%-}

Actually netatalk-1.5pre6. It puked on pre8 and pre7. Red Hat 6.0 
<--- now that's a bigger joke!

Sound familiar? i see the same thing on a ZP100 sometimes. Resource 
fork problems?

>
>On Thu, 2002-01-10 at 12:58, Wes Yates wrote:
>Matthew Keller
>Enterprise System Analyst
>Computing & Technology Services
>Information Services Division
>State University of NY at Potsdam
>Potsdam, NY USA
>
>http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/

-Wes
-- 

-Wes Yates
[email-masked]
wesyates.homeip.net

root$ rm -rf /bin/laden

---

From: Michael Vanecek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 12:26:39 -0600

It's getting information on the files and ordering them in order by 
whatever ordering scheme is set up - file size, modification date, etc. 
Mac'll get the names first, then get file and folder information and 
size. I have the same thing happen - I just click on the name column and 
it settles it right away... I suspect the same thing happens when you 
open a folder on the mac harddrive - excepting it gets the information 
much quicker and settles down much quicker...

Cheers,
Mike

Wes Yates wrote:

> ... when you mount a shared directory, and expand a folder (List view) 
> and the icons start jumping in and out (up and down) as if the server 
> see the files, then doesn't, then does, then doesn't, and finally 
> settles down? Almost like the server is rearranging the list a few times 
> before it settles on how many files there really are. BTW - No files are 
> missing.
> 
> -Wes

-- 
http://dotfile.net/ - Dedicated to Open Source Software

---

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:49:11 -0500

>whatever ordering scheme is set up - file size, modification date, 
>etc. Mac'll get the names first, then get file and folder 
>information and size. I have the same thing happen - I just click on 
>the name column and it settles it right away... I suspect the same 
>thing happens when you open a folder on the mac harddrive - 
>excepting it gets the information much quicker and settles down much 
>quicker...
>
>Cheers,
>Mike
>
>Wes Yates wrote:
>
>>view) and the icons start jumping in and out (up and down) as if 
>>the server see the files, then doesn't, then does, then doesn't, 
>>and finally settles down? Almost like the server is rearranging the 
>>list a few times before it settles on how many files there really 
>>are. BTW - No files are missing.
>>
>>-Wes
>
>
>--

So.... Nothing to be worried over?

-Wes
-- 

-Wes Yates
[email-masked]
wesyates.homeip.net

---

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:50:58 -0800

Bwahaha... That's hilarious!

;-)

I once solved that problem by deleting all the resource forks. You may not
have such an option. Another way that worked for me is that I noticed that
those files with damaged resource forks wouldn't allow themselves to be
moved out of their directories without errors. So I'd move all the
non-damaged files out (by trial and error), leaving the damaged goods. I
then deleted their resource forks, and I was on my way.

Steve

> From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:29:55 -0500
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: OK, what do you call it when...
> Resent-From: [email-masked]
> Resent-Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:34:47 -0500 (EST)
>

---

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:56:44 -0500

>then deleted their resource forks, and I was on my way.

I have been experiencing Resource Fork errors lately... Hmmmmmm. Thanks!

-Wes
-- 

-Wes Yates
[email-masked]
wesyates.homeip.net