Subject: printing from Mac to Linux using netatalk

From: "Chris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:16:22 -0700

Hi,
    I need some help printing from my Mac's to my Linux server. I'm  using
the most recent Netatalk on a Red Hat 7.1 Linux server.  My Mac client are
using Mac OS 8 - 9 sharing files with the Linux Box over TCP/IP.

I want to be able to us my hp deskjet printer connectd to lpt1 with my Macs
but do not know how to do it.  I have looked at the faq's and readme's and
have not found any thing to do with printing to a deskjet, which is a
non-postscript printer.

I have set up my linux machine to share a printer to my windows clients
using samba and it work fine.  Just want to share the printer with the mac's
also.

Thanks,
Christopher

---

From: Nigel Pegram <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 16:59:50 +1000

You could set up your DeskJet on the Linux box with something like lprng and
magicfilter so that postscript is translated to a format which the DeskJet
can understand. Then you set up the printer on the Mac as a postscript
printer.

HTH
Nigel.

> From: "Chris" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:16:22 -0700
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: printing from Mac to Linux using netatalk
> Resent-From: [email-masked]
> Resent-Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 19:24:26 -0400 (EDT)
>