Subject: SLP how-to?

From: Lorenzo Perone <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 02:10:06 +0100

Hi,

I've seen that SLP suport seeeeems to be in the netatalk code - anyfolk knows how  to set this up?

Thanx,

:-)

Lorenzo

---

From: Burkhard Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:50:39 +0100

Lorenzo,

three steps are needed:

(1) You have to set up an SLP server, if you don't have one already. 
Have a look at http://www.openslp.org/ for advice.
(2) You have to install the SLP header file and library in /path/to/slp 
on the machine you build Netatalk on.
(3) Build Netatalk with the configure option "--enable-
srvloc=/path/to/slp".

Regards, Burkhard.

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 14:55:20 +0100

> (3) Build Netatalk with the configure option "--enable-

A small footprint: SLP can be used (other than NBP) as some kind of
cenralized directory service too. A so called DA (Directory Agent) can
handle all the SLP registration stuff, so it is not necessary that every
service registers itself via slp (that means, if you have 2 netatalk
servers, you can setup slpd on one of them and use static slp registration
entries for all your services -- even those on a WAN, that aren't reachable
by direct SLP broadcasts).

More documentation can be found at the URL above...

Regards,

Thomas