Subject: UAMs failing cont.

From: "Keith Baker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:54:12 -0500

Ok...  so...
I used 1.4.99 and it compiled and worked fine...  No -lcrypto error and DHX
says it is loaded (no time to test yet -- have to get to a mac console)

the only problem I have now is this:
Jan 16 15:56:18 gatekeeper papd[7742]: Authentication disabled: HP LaserJet
III
Jan 16 15:56:18 gatekeeper papd[7742]: register HP LaserJet
III:LaserWriter@Printers

current config papd.conf

HP LaserJet III@Printers:\
        :pr=lp:op=@wheel:\
        :au:am=uams_dhx_pam.so:\
        :pd=/usr/local/share/hp_3p522.ppd:
  Why no dice?

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 15:40:59 -0800 (PST)

>         :pd=/usr/local/share/hp_3p522.ppd:

Okay, this is my fault for not updating the documentation on authenticated
printing.  The flags you need to set in papd.conf have changed because we
also support CAP-style authenticated printing.  Here's the quick rundown:

CAP-style auth		:ca:
PSSP style auth		:sp:
List of UAMS		:am=uams_clrtxt.so:  (etc)

So you should use the :sp: flag instead of :au: above.

However, it does not support the DHX uam for PSSP style authenticated
printing.  There was no Apple documentation on the proper printing
handshake for DHX, and I don't have a "real" Appleshare server to find out
if DHX is actually supported.  If it is, then I could sniff the session
and find out what the handshake is.

So unfortunately, there is no encrypted login for printing right now.  Of
course, you could always use the CAP style authenticated printing, where
the login really just depends on the file server login (which could be
encrypted).

	Andy