Subject: Printing problem

From: Dennis Leeuw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:36:59 +0200

Hi all,

I am new to this list, and very sorry if this is mentioned before. But
the mail archives aren't very handy for searching ;)

So here it goes:

I have setup a Linux machine with netatalk, for printing. It works fine,
except that for every job submitted it also prints the tranfer log like:
OPEN >
< OPENREPLY
READ 1 >
< TICKLE
SENDSTATUS >

etc. and ofcourse in a staircase effect.

Could someone shed some light on this. I am completely lost on what is
causing this and how to tackle it.

Thanks,

Dennis Leeuw

---

From: Alle mails voor SMS systeem <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:31:32 +0200 (CEST)

Hey,

I know I asked this before, but now exams are over and I have time to work
on my little network here.

We have 3 Windows PCs, a Mac and a Linux all in network. I have installed
both Netatalk and Samba on the linux, and that all seems to work. The
printer is connected to one of the Windows PCs.

Now I would like to be able to print to it from the Mac. Since it is not a
postscript printer, I can't use Dave on the PCs, but will be using
netatalk papd.

What should I put in the print config file for papd ? I have no drivers or
ppds for the printer.

And how do I restart papd ? I killed it, but don't get it running again...

Yes, I am stupid (sometimes),

Thanks for replies,

Thomas

---

From: Christoph Sold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:51:37 +0200

> And how do I restart papd ? I killed it, but don't get it running again...

How about defining the printer within samba, then have netatalk
re-.export that one?

-Christoph Sold

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 17:16:47 +0200

on Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:31:32 +0200 (CEST), Alle mails voor SMS systeem

> postscript printer, I can't use Dave on the PCs, but will be using

PAP currently supports also PS-only Printers.

You can do the following:

- create a lpd queue which connects to the windows printer (you can do this
  with samba)

- configure another queue to rip incoming ps-jobs with ghostscript and to
  forward the output to the first queue

- you can share this queue via papd or/and via samba (so you can print from
  the mac with smb to the ghostscript

> What should I put in the print config file for papd ? I have no drivers or

You can use a generic ppd. A very good explanation can be found here:
<http://www.giub.unibe.ch/~eugster/appleprint.html>

> And how do I restart papd ? I killed it, but don't get it running again...

I think, papd supports rereading it's configuration if you 'kill -HUP' its
process id. So it won't die ;-)

But in your case: to start it again, look how it is invoked in your
netatalk's startscript ;-)

regards,

Thomas