Subject: an open question

From: Walt Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 14:59:37 -0800

hello,

i'm currently running 1.5pre3 on a redhat 7.0 box.  haven't been having
any problems, but some of the developers i work with want to put the box
into our dmz.  they want to continue to use netatalk (and possibly
samba, though i haven't looked into samba's encryption options) for
convenience, but i've always thought it would be too much of a security
problem to run it in such a way and have discouraged it.  we are
currently using pam for encryption of the passwords (and i believe the
rest of the data is not encrypted?), and i'm also using tcp wrappers.
has anyone got any experience with this sort of thing?  i might add that
the external packet router we use is not under my control (the isp's)
and i don't think i could get them to add packet filtering for
appletalk.  besides, one of the developers wants to access the box in
this way from home (he has a nailed ip, so i can use tcp wrappers).
could i possibly run netatalk over ssh?

thanks,

w