Subject: NetaTALK problems with speed

From: Jesse Smillie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 00:54:32 -0400

Hi, I'm new to the list and I bet this is a common question asked, but
what I'm trying to do is replace our current Netware 5 server in one of
the school district that I work for computer labs.  I am trying to use
Slackware 7.1 with NetaTALK 1.4 which the server set up easily and after
some doc reading I got the NetaTALK setup with out too much of a hassil,
but the problem I have run into is that the server is very slow serving
up the apple files!  I can login VIA the chooser real quick and get the
volumes mounted, but apps don't work too well.   We have this program
called Scholastic Reading Counts in which the database has to be held on
a server.  When I set the clients to go to the new Linux server, they
load, and when they go for the information on the server the NIC cards
activity light blinks and then goes completely solid, yet its not coming
up that quick.  I'm using a 3com 905-TX in this machine in which I have
used 2 other ones in my main Slackware server which runs the e-mail and
web for the whole district without a problem.  In fact most of the time
with an FTP program I can get up to 1Meg/sec DL up at the high  school
from this server.  Thats why I can't understand why with the new machine
I build for the elementary building I am getting such slow feeds.
Anyone have any ideas?  Thanks in advance for the help..

-Jesse Smillie