Subject: Guest users OK, real users can't get in

From: Matisse Enzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:17:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks,

I've just installed netatalk v1.5

OS:        RedHat linux 6.1 system  (kernal: 2.2.12-20smp)
Compiler:  egcs-2.91.66
openssl:   0.9.6

I enabled shadow passwords by adding   -DSHADOWPW   to  the CFLAGS in
etc/afpd/Makefile

I can connect fine as a guest, and read and write to the one default
volume as a Guest (try it yourself:  64.2.37.200 )

Please Help ..... ;-)

When I try and login from a Mac as a real user th Mac dialog box says the
password is incorrect.   /var/log/messages on the linux box shows:

Feb  5 09:40:21 localhost afpd[16302]: ASIP session:548(1) from
64.161.158.2:52687(2)
Feb  5 09:40:21 localhost afpd[16302]: dhx login: matisse  
Feb  5 09:40:22 localhost afpd[16302]: 0.18KB read, 0.13KB written
Feb  5 09:40:22 localhost afpd[16244]: server_child[1] 16302 done   

Here's a chucnk of the log file, from afpd start up through trying to
conect as a "real" user, and then as a guest:

Feb  5 08:27:07 localhost papd[16222]: restart (1.5)
Feb  5 08:27:07 localhost atalk: papd startup succeeded
Feb  5 08:27:07 localhost atalk: timelord startup succeeded
Feb  5 08:27:08 localhost atalk: afpd startup succeeded
Feb  5 08:27:13 localhost timelord[16233]: playroom:TimeLord started
Feb  5 08:27:14 localhost afpd[16244]: playroom:AFPServer@* started on
65280.153:130 (1.5)
Feb  5 08:27:14 localhost afpd[16244]: ASIP started on 127.0.0.1:548(1)
(1.5)
Feb  5 08:27:14 localhost afpd[16244]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
Feb  5 08:27:14 localhost afpd[16244]: uam: uams_clrtxt.so loaded
Feb  5 08:27:14 localhost afpd[16244]: uam: uams_dhx.so loaded
Feb  5 08:27:14 localhost afpd[16244]: uam: "DHCAST128" available
Feb  5 08:27:14 localhost afpd[16244]: uam: "Cleartxt Passwrd" available
Feb  5 08:27:14 localhost afpd[16244]: uam: "No User Authent" available
Feb  5 08:28:08 localhost PAM_pwdb[5773]: (su) session closed for user
root

# attempt as a real user:

Feb  5 09:40:15 localhost afpd[16301]: ASIP session:548(1) from
64.161.158.2:52619(2)
Feb  5 09:40:15 localhost afpd[16244]: server_child[1] 16301 done
Feb  5 09:40:21 localhost afpd[16302]: ASIP session:548(1) from
64.161.158.2:52687(2)
Feb  5 09:40:21 localhost afpd[16302]: dhx login: matisse
Feb  5 09:40:22 localhost afpd[16302]: 0.18KB read, 0.13KB written
Feb  5 09:40:22 localhost afpd[16244]: server_child[1] 16302 done

# attempt as a guest:

Feb  5 10:18:54 localhost afpd[16481]: ASIP session:548(1) from
64.161.158.2:42497(2)
Feb  5 10:18:54 localhost afpd[16471]: server_child[1] 16481 done
Feb  5 10:18:57 localhost afpd[16482]: ASIP session:548(1) from
64.161.158.2:42523(2)
Feb  5 10:18:57 localhost afpd[16482]: login noauth
Feb  5 10:18:57 localhost afpd[16482]: login nobody (uid 99, gid 99)