Subject: Zone in AFP over IP

From: "Sophie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 11:02:19 +0800

Dear all,

>From /netatalk-1.5.2/doc/CONFIGURE, I see that:

-Netatalk supplies two different types of AFP servers and both can run at
-the same time. Classic AFP over AppleTalk requires afpd and atalkd. AFP
-over IP only requires afpd.

If I use AFP over IP(only afpd), how can I support "zone"?(beacuse ZIP is
implemented by atalkd)

Besides, does "zone" mean much to security, or just for organizational
control?

Thanks a lot.

-- Sophie

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:19:09 +0100

> If I use AFP over IP(only afpd), how can I support "zone"?(beacuse ZIP is

Well, given this scenario, you cannot use zones at all, because zones are
only used for publishing services and names with NBP (name binding protocol)
in a structured way.

> Besides, does "zone" mean much to security,

Some AppleTalk routers implement something like this, so you can use access
control lists to hide services or devices in different zones and so on. But
this is a very simple level of 'security'.

If you use tcp wrappers on your server then you will have a higher level of
security than with AppleTalk, IMO.

> or just for organizational control?

That's it. For TCP only networks you can use nowadays the Service Location
Protocol (SLP). The equivalent to zones are the so called scopes. More
information on <http://www.openslp.org>

Regards,

Thomas