Subject: Re: Case senstivity

From: Rory Campbell-Lange <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:05:17 +0100

Matthew

Thanks very much indeed for your response. I've downloaded and installed
1.5pre6. I've got a couple of new problems. Can you help?

I've installed on Debian. I had to edit the paths of afpd et al from
/usr/sbin to /usr/local/sbin etc. I should have set this path in
configure I realise.

More problematic is that I don't think the install is seeing my
/etc/netatalk configuration files. I reckon this is the case because the
server is showing up in the chooser with the Linux box's host name
rather than the one in my AppleVolumes.default file.

Trying to log onto the server (which does show up in the chooser) I get
the following error message when trying to connect to the server:

"The UAM method required by this server cannot be found..."

Interestingly, if a do a find for "AppleVolumes.default", there is one
in my /etc/netatalk folder (made by Debian) and one in the source
directory (<source>/config) and one in the source config none directory
(<source>/config/NONE/etc/).

I don't quite know which one to use!

Thanks for any help.
Rory

On 18/4/01, [email-masked] (Matthew Keller) wrote:

> On 18 Apr 2001 02:38:29 +0100, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:

> > The casefold option works on the server for new folders and files
> > for both lowercase and uppercase. However if I try to open an
> > existing directory there is an error message. Do you know if this is
> > something that has sorted out in the 1.5pre5 release?
> 
> This issue (which is rare) was, I believe, fixed in the
> 1.4B2+asun2.1.4 - But should definitely be fine in pre1.5. I
> recommend, if possible, installing 1.5pre**6** (the latest and very
> very stable (almost release grade)) and testing. I'd love feedback.
> 
> > I also find that apple mac client aliases to the server and folders
> > on the server don't work.
> 
> Fixed in 1.4B2+asun2.1.4, and works fine in pre1.5.
> 
> > Thanks for your help. I'd be grateful to know if you advise
> > upgrading to the 1.5pre5 release and compile this from source.
> 
> Again, 1.5pre6 is the latest release, and fixes a large number of bugs
> from 1.5pre5. I can't recommend it for production environments (even
> though I'm using it in several. Shhhhh ;) It is very stable.

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:45:41 -0400

Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
-- SNIP --
> rather than the one in my AppleVolumes.default file.

Change /etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf to use the box's preferred name. Try
to avoid spaces.

> "The UAM method required by this server cannot be found..."

Are the UAMs loading? Check your logs.

If they are, it is possible that your AppleShare Client is out of date.
Check Apple's website to see what the newest version for your version of
MacOS is.
 
> I don't quite know which one to use!

The /etc/netatalk one, I believe.

jeff

---

From: Rory Campbell-Lange <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:10:46 +0100

On 18/4/01, [email-masked] (jeff) wrote:

> Rory Campbell-Lange wrote: -- SNIP --

> Change /etc/netatalk/netatalk.conf to use the box's preferred
> name. Try to avoid spaces.

will do.

> Are the UAMs loading? Check your logs.

nope! I've moved the uams directory to /etc/uams. I guess I need to qualify
this path afpd.conf (sorry - not at my linux box now, this is by memory) to
point to /etc/uams/cleartxt.so or whatever. Do you have your uams in the
same /etc/netatalk directory?

> If they are, it is possible that your AppleShare Client is out of
> date. Check Apple's website to see what the newest version for
> your version of MacOS is.

I'm running OS 9.0.4, but I'll check this anyway. Thanks.

> > Interestingly, if a do a find for "AppleVolumes.default", there
> > is one in my /etc/netatalk folder (made by Debian) and one in
> > the source directory (<source>/config) and one in the source
> > config none directory (<source>/config/NONE/etc/).
> > 

Great! I was wondering if the very long directory paths leading to the NONE
folders where what I needed.

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards
Rory

--
	Rory Campbell-Lange
	The Campbell-Lange Workshop
 	London

---

From: Jason Quigley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:26:19 +0200

Hi everyone!

I have noticed a something a little odd with this build. When I connect 
to the server directly through the finder's "Connect To Server" menu 
option and enter my password, I get a dialogue box saying that the 
server has unexpectedly disconnected. I got the following message in 
/var/log/messages: "afpd[79000]: dsi_stream_read(0): Operation not 
supported"

I keep all my music in a shared directory and I have a Keychain entry 
for the server/share already defined from a previous version of 
Netatalk. As a little test, I fired up iTunes and started playing some 
music. The share mounted and the music started playing. I opened the 
share from the desk top icon and was able to browse the directory 
without problems.

Has anybody else noticed this sort of behaviour?

Cheers,
Jason.

---

From: trevor allett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:49:44 +0100

Hi all, now that Apple has OS X, which by all accounts is based on 
some strain of U*nix and Netatalk provides translation between Apple 
and linux, would not a more direct approach, now be to NFS 
"underneath" the OS X GUI?

just a thought!
-- 
==============================
Trevor Allett
IT Support unit
North Oxfordshire College,
Banbury,
Oxfordshire.	United Kingdom.
=======================================
============================================
This message may contain information which is legally privileged
and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any unauthorised disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this information is strictly prohibited.
Such notification notwithstanding, any comments or opinions
expressed are those of the originator, not of
North Oxfordshire College and School of Art,
unless otherwise explicitly stated.
=================================================================

---

From: Peter Risdon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:57:11 +0100

OSX includes nfs tools. In fact, its approach to networking is very
different from OS 9 and below. You're in the UK: see the current edition
of MacWorld for more info.

-- 
Peter Risdon
circle squared
9 The Maltings,
Millfield,
Cottenham,
Cambridge,
CB4 8RE
UK
tel +44 1954 251097
fax +44 1954 252209

While every effort is made to ensure this mail and its attachments are
free of viruses and other malicious software, recipients should take
their own precautions.

This mail is intended for the addressees only. Should you receive it
inappropriately, please delete it and inform us by return mail to
[email-masked]

Unless otherwise stated, the opinions expressed in this mail are those
of its author, and not statements made on behalf of the circle squared.

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Apr 2001 09:22:18 -0400

NFS on OS X is not very good, and doesn't play nice with many other
    NFS's (Linux, Sun, IRIX, AIX I've tried). I can get mounts on
    occasion, but throughput is horrible, and OSX seems to have a
    low-limit on the number of TCP/UDP sockets it has open because it
    stalls dramatically (causing NFS to have to be restarted) under even
    "mid-level" loads.

-- 

Matthew Keller
Enterprise System Analyst
Computing & Technology Services
Information Services Division
State University of NY at Potsdam
Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/