Subject: NEWBIE:: OSX sharing from RH7.1

From: "// kerin | b o c u m a . c o m |" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 23:13:16 -0000

Hi everyone,

I've recently installed a RH7.1 box on our AppleTalk network to act as a dev
server (Apache, PHP, mySQL etc etc). As we're a Mac outfit I naturally
installed netatalk so that we could write to the Apache servers directory.

I managed to install and setup netatalk with no trouble at all, despite
being something of a Linux newbie. All of the OS9 machines can read and
write shares without any hassle.

However, when I try to connect to the netatalk share using my OSX machine, I
get an error along the lines of "this server is hosted on this local
machine. Please browse the files and folders locally". This is really
strange, and nothing I've tried has made any difference whatsoever. Whats
annoying is that on my first install of RH and netatalk (which I hosed
pretty rapidly), I could connect using OSX straightaway. I've been playing
with NFS on the Linux side, and I've had no joy with that either.

Has anybody had any experience with this? Or know what could be causing it?

Many thanks,
// Kerin Cosford
// bocuma ltd.
//
// T : 020 7684 4209
// M : 07748 013 534

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 08:06:38 +0100

am 22.11.2001 0:13 Uhr schrieb // kerin  |  b o c u m a . c o m  |:

> All of the OS9 machines can read and write shares without any hassle.

I assume they are connected via AppleTalk, aren't they (ask the 'get info'
dialog vor one of the mounted volumes)

> machine. Please browse the files and folders locally".

This OSX machine is 10.1.x not 10.0.x, true?

This seems to happen:

You connect to the server either via AppleTalk (via [command]-[k] or 'mount
-t afp afp:/at/...'). Once the mac can reach the server it sends out an
FPGetSrvInfo request to get informations from the server. The server
supplies it's name, the User Authentication Modules it supports, etc. And
also a *list* with possible connection methods:

One will be AppleTalk/NBP-Name, one will be AFPoverTCP/IP-Address/Port

Recent AppleShare-Clients will always prefer to establish the AFP connection
itself over TCP. So your MacOS X machine will try to connect to the supplied
IP-address, which will be in your case '127.0.0.1' or the same IP-address
than the one of the MacOS X machine itself (check your afpd.conf on the
server). MacOS X 10.1.x is different from earlier versions and checks
whether the ip address of an afp server is 'valid'. In the case MacOS X
'detects' that one tries to connect to the machine itself (either by
'127.0.0.1' or by any of the local IP-addresses) it will refuse the
connection with the message, you supplied. Older versions tried to establish
the connection to the servers' address and, in case it didn't work, tried to
connect via AppleTalk, too (which worked)

> This is really strange, and nothing I've tried has made any difference
> whatsoever. 

Two methods to debug:

As Leland wrote before:

| From the terminal in Mac OS X type:
|    setenv AFP_DEBUG_LEVEL 8
|    mkdir /Volumes/volname
|   /sbin/mount -t afp afp://username:password@servername/volume \
| /Volumes/volname
| 
| replacing username, password, servername, volume, and volname with your
| local names

This will give you a few hints, what the server supplies as its addresses.

Or you try asip-status.pl from here, which sends out an FPGetSrvInfo request
and dumps the output: 'asip-status.pl [netatalk's ip-address]'

<http://www.jammed.com/~jwa/hacks/security/asip/>

> Whats annoying is that on my first install of RH and netatalk (which I hosed
> pretty rapidly), I could connect using OSX straightaway.

Have you tried it with 10.0.x? And now with 10.1.x?

> I've been playing with NFS on the Linux side, and I've had no joy with
> that either.

Well, if you use Nightmare Filesystem, then the MacOS X machines will store
ressource forks in a different way, than Netatalk does. So files from MacOS
X boxes won't be fully functional for MacOS 7.x/8.x/9.x clients and vice
versa.

Regards,

Thomas