Subject: Netatalk 1.5 Release Hacking Party

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 04:20:36 +0100

Netatalk 1.5 Release Hacking Party
                    ==================================

Version 1.0.0 2001-11-20

Corrections, suggestions, and disagreement welcome. Please write to
[email-masked] or directly to [email-masked].

Date/Place
----------

Sat, 24th November 2001 5pm (17:00) UTC. Feel free to show up earlier or
later. Channel #netatalk-devel on irc.openprojects.net.

Overview
--------

The Netatalk project meets in IRC at the date and place given above to
prepare for the next stable release. We will mainly try to build a release
that compiles and works on all supported platforms. We will also try to
discuss a few points concerning the future development and release
coordination of netatalk (see below).

Everybody is welcome to join us and help in the release effort.

To Do
-----

* Testing

  Main point of this meeting is to create a semi-stable tar-ball that
  compiles fine and works on all our supported platforms. See below for
  the platforms that netatalk will be tested on.

* Roadmap

  We should try to come up with a roadmap of what features should be
  in future versions of netatalk and should be concentrated on.

* Release Defaults

  We still have to agree on some of the default configuration with the
  new release. While it seems sensible to use the "last" DID scheme by
  default, we still have to discuss if we want to enable flock locks
  by default, and there may be further options that could be enabled
  by default.

* Discussion on release management

  There is still need to discuss the future release management. This concerns
  mainly the versioning scheme that should be employed in future (it was
  suggested to make this similar to the Linux kernel's versioning scheme)
  and the CVS branching and committing policies.

Testing Procedure
-----------------

The suggested testing procedure is as follows:

* I will create a first tar-ball out of the current semi-stable CVS tree.
  This should be downloaded by all testers and tried out.
* We will then collect all problems, try to come up with patches and I
  will integrate these patches into my local copy of netatalk and come
  up with another tar-ball.
* This will be repeated until compilation works for all tested platforms.
* Then I will check in all generated patches into CVS, set a tag and create
  release candidate 1.

Participants
------------

The following people are likely to participate in the meeting. Please note
that everybody is welcome, and no registration in advance is required.

* Joe Clarke <[email-masked]>
  FreeBSD build
* Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
  Mandrake (Linux) build
* Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
  Debian GNU/Linux build
* Paul, Stew, Dallas(?)
  Solaris builds

If I forgot anybody (which is quite likely), please mail me so I can add you
to the list.