Subject: nested folders

From: Charles Mangin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 14:02:14 -0400

hi all. i've just joined the list, so bear with me if this has been 
covered before.

i'm using netatalk-1.5pre2-6 (i think. is there an atalk -version 
command so i can be certain?) on a redhat 7.1 intel box and i'm 
seeing some oddities when putting files on the server from a Mac 
running 9.1

basically, i get an error -50, or, more commonly, "the file is 
locked". mostly this happens with strange filetypes like font 
suitcases or photoshop files with custom icons, though not by any 
means with *all* of them.

the really odd thing is that, if i move the problem files as part of 
a larger transfer - usually when copying a folder with many files in 
it to the server - i consistently get the error. but, when i transfer 
the file by itself, or even the  contents of the whole directory - 
but not the enclosing folder - i do not get the error.

does this make sense at all? to sum up: i grab a folder, copy it to 
the server. the folder is created on the server, but the files give 
me an error (or one of the files does, and cancels the whole copy). 
if i open the folder on the mac and copy the contents to the new 
folder on the server, i get no error.

my next step will be trying to recreate the problem with different 
filetypes and seeing if there's a common thread, and i suppose i 
should update to the latest prerelease - or go back to 1.4. i thought 
i'd see if anybody here had any suggestions or similar experiences.

---

From: charlie wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:47:40 -0700

I saw this happen with Macromedia Flash native files on my servers (I'm
running Linux systems here). It only occurred with 1.4b2, and if I'm not
mistaken, it turned out to be a problem with the write permissions for the
.AppleDouble and .AppleDesktop files in the offending directories. Make sure
that those files are user and/or group writeable. You may also wish to look
at your AppleVolumes.system file and make sure that the correct MacOS
creator and type codes are correct, although I suspect that they are.

</charlie>

_____________________________
Charlie Wood

IT Manager
ID, Incorporated
1620 SW Taylor St Suite 100 Portland, OR 97205
{v} 503-223-7737   {f} 503-223-2719
{e} [email-masked]   {w} http://www.id-inc.com

--

> From: Charles Mangin <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 14:02:14 -0400
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: nested folders
> Resent-From: [email-masked]
> Resent-Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 14:04:14 -0400 (EDT)
>