Subject: Help: Still probs with netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7

From: John L Grantham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 19:21:38 +0100

Hi all,

OK, I still have problems with netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7 on a 
LinuxPPC box. When I try to copy files to the server from a Mac 
running OS 9.1 via the Finder, the copy works fine; but if I try to 
save a file from most any program (Photoshop, Freehand, etc.), the 
connection freezes and the Mac locks up for about 30 seconds or so, 
with the server eventually closing the connection (thus freeing the 
Mac up again).

If I try copying from the server, it randomly closes the connection 
as well -- usually after about five minutes or so, sometimes more, 
sometimes less. It doesn't make any difference where I copy from or 
to.

I checked older messages, and this seems to be a permissions problem 
with .Parent and .AppleDouble, so I tried this:

find /mount/point -type d -exec chmod g+s {} \;
find /mount/point -name ".Parent" -exec chmod 770 {} \;
find /mount/point -name ".Apple*" -exec chmod 770 {} \;
find /mount/point -name ".Apple*" -exec chmod g+s {} \;

It still doesn't work.

When I try saving to the server, this happens in /var/log/messages:

Mar 21 19:11:02 localhost afpd[28251]: dsi_stream_read(0): Connection 
reset by peer
Mar 21 19:11:02 localhost last message repeated 8 times
Mar 21 19:11:02 localhost afpd[1763]: server_child[1] 28255 done
Mar 21 19:11:02 localhost afpd[28251]: dsi_stream_read(0): Connection 
reset by peer
Mar 21 19:11:19 localhost last message repeated 31164 times
Mar 21 19:11:19 localhost afpd[1763]: shutting down on signal 15
Mar 21 19:11:19 localhost afpd[28251]: dsi_stream_read(0): Connection 
reset by peer
Mar 21 19:11:20 localhost last message repeated 151 times
Mar 21 19:11:20 localhost atalkd[1751]: done
Mar 21 19:11:20 localhost afpd[28251]: dsi_stream_read(0): Connection 
reset by peer

Then afpd starts eating up CPU cycles like crazy, and I'm forced to 
stop atalkd and kill afpd, then restart atalkd.

This is my setup in afpd.conf:

"Hobbit-Hole" -noguest -address 192.168.1.10

Can someone tell me what the correct permissions are? I don't seem to 
find any info on the Web about this.

Any other hints?

Thanks,

John
-- 

John Grantham	| Dipl.-Designer (FH)
		| Homepage       http://design.macnews.de/
		| Linux for PPC  http://www.linuxppc.org/
Web Designer	| AGD Member     http://www.agd.de/