Subject: Netatalk + Samba on a Mandrake 8 problems

From: Sébastien CRAMATTE <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:40:40 +0200

Hello

When I put somes files (with a long filename) from a Windows machine on a
samba share that is also a netatalk share
Mac users don't see files.

Does anyone could explain me what is the problem
Thanks in advance

S H A N G H A I
---------------
28 Rue de Solférino
92100 - Boulogne Billancourt

tél : 01 46 10 46 70
fax : 01 46 10 46 71

[email-masked]
http://www.shanghai.fr

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:06:33 +1000

> Does anyone could explain me what is the problem

'Its not a bug its a feature' :-)

 'Classic' MacOS cannot work with files over 32 characters long.
NetAtalk simply hides them, apparently some versions of finder will
crash if they see a long file name.
 NetAtalk avoids the issue of potential duplicate file names if you
simply truncated the name by simply pretending they don't exist.

 Yes it could be done better, some one needs to write a name 'mangling'
routine similar to what Samba does to get 8.3 names for DOS clients.

---

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 08:34:15 -0400

>Does anyone could explain me what is the problem

Mac's can only see filenames of 32 characters or less. Also no ":".

-Wes

-- 

-Wes Yates
[email-masked]
wesyates.homeip.net

------------------------
Elementary Reading for New UNIX Users

C:
C:\
C:\DOS
C:\WINDOWS

Run :, Run.
------------------------
Read as:
See Colon.
See Colon escape.
See Colon escape DOS.
See Colon escape Windows.

Run Colon, Run.
------------------------

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:11:11 +0200

am 16.10.2001 14:34 Uhr schrieb Wes Yates:

> Mac's can only see filenames of 32 characters or less.

This is not correct. You mean *31* *bytes*, I think?

AFP prior to 3.0 handles filenames as a 5 byte pascal string (first byte =
length of string). The 31 bytes result in 31 characters when using
single-byte charsets. When using double-byte charsets this will result in a
15 character limit.

With AFP 3.0 this limitation has gone. We will have unicode filenames with
up to 255 bytes and also *both* a long and a short name per file (for older
AFP Clients *and* for SMB clients).

(maybe you want to search for "Catalog Node Names" in
<http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/Networking/AFP/AFP3.0.pdf>)

> Also no ":".

Well, macs can *see* colons, if the server will deliver filenames with them
inside (the colon "0x3A" is not valid and null 0x00 though). But the mac
won't be able to open such a file/folder because of the special role the
colon has as the path separator.

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:39:58 -0400

>This is not correct. You mean *31* *bytes*, I think?

Bytes, characters. its 32. And It should be characters. According to 
all things Apple...

>AFP Clients *and* for SMB clients).

Maybe true with OS9. I have seen evidence of that. But for all 
intense and purposes, stick with 32 (31 if you want) characters for 
legacy systems (<8.x).

>colon has as the path separator.

Therefor the unusability of the ":"...

-Wes
-- 

-Wes Yates
[email-masked]
wesyates.homeip.net

------------------------

C:
C:\
C:\DOS
C:\WINDOWS

Run :, Run.
------------------------
Read as:
See Colon.
See Colon escape.
See Colon escape DOS.

Run Colon, Run.
------------------------

---

From: Karen A Swanberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:13:30 -0500 (CDT)

> Bytes, characters. its 32. And It should be characters. According to 

Somewhere in the archives, it's mentioned that there are doublebyte fonts
(which I presume mean they use more than one byte per character), hence
the 31 *bytes* comment. I don't know how often this comes up, but it's why
the distinction is made.

-Karen

-                                                                  -
    Karen Swanberg | Sys Admin | Dept. of Geology and Geophysics    
206 Pillsbury Hall | 310 Pillsbury Ave. SE | University of Minnesota
     Minneapolis, MN 55455  (612) 624-6541  (612) 625-3819 (f)

              * <---- Tribble   . <--- Tribble.tgz