Subject: Problems dealing with netatalk

From: *IM***1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 22:57:38 +0800

hi there,
  i am working on linux + mac lan environment....
  the situation is that i have 1 linux and 2 mac.....
  problem is that even i have set papd.conf file, printer cannot be seen in the chooser.
  so howz that? do i make some mistake?
  secondly, if i share file to Macintosh computer, it works fine with guest account, but if i come to user accounts, once i type any letter in the password box, it said i reach to the max. limit of password length.. so howz that? 
  thirdly i want to ask is that: does netatalk support EPSON Stylus Color 3000? becoz in SC3000 driver, there is one named SC3000(AT) in chooser, and it is for AppleTalk.... but this cannot discover any SC3000 which is plugged in linux machine... so how to do that??

thx for any suggestion...!!

Yours sincerely,
jasonX

---

From: Simon Hobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 09:37:56 +0000

>thirdly i want to ask is that: does  netatalk support EPSON Stylus Color
>3000? becoz in SC3000 driver, there is one  named SC3000(AT) in chooser,
>and it is for AppleTalk.... but this cannot  discover any SC3000 which is
>plugged in linux machine... so how to do  that??

No. Printers are shared as type LaserWriter, so your Epson driver will not
see it because it is looking for a different type. The LaserWriter driver
will not work because the printer is not postscript.

Your options are :

1) Fit the (rather expensive for what it is) LocalTalk or EtherTalk
interface board in the printer and conenct it to your network.

2) Connect the printer to one mac and share it (I think it is an option
accessible from the chooser when you select the SC3000 driver). I think
this works, but it's a long time since I've worked with Epsons directly
attached.

3) Connect the printer to your Linux box and use Ghostscript to make it
Postscript compatible. You will use the LaserWriter driver on the Mac to
talk to the Linux server, Ghostscript will then interpret the postscript
and create a bitmap which is then imaged by the printer.

Simon

-
Simon Hobson, Technical Services Engineer
Colony Gift Corporation Limited
Lindal in Furness, Ulverston, Cumbria, LA12 0LD
Tel 01229 461100, Fax 01229 461101

Registered in England No. 1499611
Regd. Office : 100 New Bridge Street, London, EC4V 6JA.