Subject: Cannot see my Linux box in Appleshare window

From: Siao Yuan Tan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 10:30:42 +0800

I have install netatalk in my Linux box but the name is not appearing in the Mac Appleshare window.  What is wrong?  I can access the share but typing in IP only.

Please help.

I am new to netatalk.

Thanks.

Siao Tan

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 22:04:14 -0500 (CDT)

I noticed when copying from an NT box running Services for Macintosh to a
Samba 2.07 box that the Samba box does not interpret certain characters
correctly such as the "trademark" symbol as well as a few others.

I wish to use Netatalk and Samba within the same folders on my Linux box
as I do on my NT box.

Something tells me that there may be a codepage issue here. Is anyone
sharing out directories in this manner? I realize that one should hide the
dot files, Network Trash, and The VolumeSettingsFolder/Icon? but wonder if
there's more to do.

Thanks.

-Dan

---

From: Clare West <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 15:17:29 +1200

On Tuesday, May 8, 2001, at 02:30  PM, Siao Yuan Tan wrote:

> I have install netatalk in my Linux box but the name is not appearing 
> in the Mac Appleshare window.  What is wrong?  I can access the share 
> but typing in IP only.

I am having pretty much exactly the opposite problem. I have installed 
netatalk on FreeBSD 4.2 machine. I can see the server with the chooser, 
but If I try from a machine will Appletalk switched off (by entering the 
ip address for example) I get "no response from server".

clare