Subject: anyone use the cleanappledouble.pl that came with 1.5.0?

From: Arts Engraving <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:07:20 -0500

I was hoping it would clean up some of my "jumping icons". Or is 
using it a bad idea? Any users?

-Wes
-- 
-Wes Yates
Arts Engraving Co., Inc.
3136 May Street
Charlotte NC 28217
[email-masked]
http://www.artsengraving.com
T 704-523-5115  F 704-521-9535

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 17:17:05 +0100

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:07:29 -0500 (EST), Arts Engraving wrote:

> I was hoping it would clean up some of my "jumping icons".

Are you using '-noadouble' in afpd.conf? Symlinks inside your shares?

> Or is using it a bad idea? Any users?

You can use it first in 'preview-mode' (running it with '-p') to see what
will happen...

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Arts Engraving <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:24:53 -0500

>You can use it first in 'preview-mode' (running it with '-p') to see what

symlinks, some.

I am in AppleVolumes.default:

:DEFAULT: options:nohex,usedots,noadouble

but I still get an .AppleDouble.

I'm not really worried about it, but if running its not  good idea.. 
then I won't. i guess I can experiment...

-Wes

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 17:38:32 +0100

> symlinks, some.

Well, then you will have a problem...

> but I still get an .AppleDouble.

Of course this has to be, as besides the finder info stuff (filetype,
creator, modification date, comment, label, etc.) the resource forks are
also stored into the .AppleDouble folder. When using -noadouble, the
creation of .AppleDouble (the first time the enclosing folder will be
accessed by a mac) for files that have no resource fork (when they arrive
from wintel boxes via samba eg.) will be suppressed.

Regarding the dancing icon problem, you should read IMO:

<http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/2000/1161.html>
<http://www.mtusysadm.mtu.edu/mtudocs/netatalk/netatalk-icon.html>

> then I won't. 

Just try the preview mode...

> i guess I can experiment...

If you duplicate portions of a share and try it?

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Arts Engraving <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:44:18 -0500

>If you duplicate portions of a share and try it?

Oh, but of course, _that_ would be the problem... Geeeezzzzeee leave 
it up to me to misinterpret the directions. Thanks!

-wes