Subject: DID conflict

From: Ian Hitchman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 09:41:48 +0000 (GMT)

Happy new year to you all,

Could anyone tell me if the "DID conflict" was ever resolved, or how I
might fix this on my system. I am slowly going through the mail archive at 
the moment.

RedHat 7.0 useing netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4-0.i386.rpm
and samba 2.0.7. 

Jan 2 15:55:15 ark afpd[18625]: WARNING: DID conflict for '[backup]' and
'images'. Are these the same file?

All the best,

Ian.

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:47:28 +1100

> might fix this on my system. I am slowly going through the mail archive at

 The fix is to turn off the DID Inode kludge and have broken directory
aliases.

 I wonder if the Linux FS could be hacked so that it didn't reuse Inodes
so fast, or even just cycled through the entire inode number space
available and only re-used old ones when the number space filled. That
would shunt the unique identifier back onto the FS layer, which appears
to be what Apple did with OSX Server, it only supports file sharing on
HFS volumes....

 Of course hacking the VFS would only work on Linux or some other
OpenSource OS you had the code to. Won't help on the other platforms.
 (PS I don't know this type of hack is possible let a lone desirable!)

-- 
Matthew Geier			[email-masked]
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713
Sydney University