Subject: Weird problems on Mac side. Norton related?

From: "Anton Coetzee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 23:35:34 +0200

Hi

Here's a problem that's been bugging me for a few weeks now:
Network consisting of 6 G4 Macs, running 9.0.4 and 100BaseT network. Server
is a Linux box running a custom built (based on Slackware) 2.2.16 distro. 2
disk partitions are shared, one is 10 GB, one is 35 GB. They are also shared
via SAMBA to a single Windows box. There is no simultaneous use of files.
(no file locking problems).
I'm using the latest Asun netatalk (as of April 1 or so), built from source.

The Macs are scanning workstations, and every day or two large files (> 100
files at 40 or so MB apiece) are moved to the server. Everything works fine
for a few days, then the Macs go crazy (randomly) in various ways.
One mode of failure: The Macs start creating recursively nested folders of
folders on the desktop. Other times they will not copy certain files to the
server -- you select a batch of files, and drag to a folder on the server,
and it refuses to copy *certain* files. Do the same batch, and it will
refuse to copy *different* files.
The most prevalent issue, though, seems to be the recursively nested folder
thing.

I have just found out that the Macs have Norton something-or-other
installed. Could this be a problem ??

One other minor issue is that the list view seems incredibly slow. I'm
getting superb throughput in file transfers, and viewing a folder in icon
view is almost instant, but when I go to list view, it is *incredibly* slow,
and you can't smoothly scroll through the list. This may be unavoidable,
because we have some folders with ~ 1000 files.

Thanx for the help

Anton Coetzee (frustrated!!!)