Subject: abnormal disconnects

From: "Flint Million (netatalk)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:15:10 -0500 (CDT)

Hello, I'm running netatalk on my private home server, and it is only
accessed by two Macs. The one that is giving me trouble is my PowerMac
7100/G3 (sonnet) running Mac OS 9.1. I can successfully connect to the
netatalk server and work, but randomly (at least as far as I can tell) the
server will kill the connection. Syslog looks like:

afpd[1699]: ASIP session:548(2) from 192.168.1.2:49159
afpd[1699]: dhx login: fmillion
PAM_pwdb[1699]: (netatalk) session opened for user fmillion
afpd[1699]: login fmillion (uid 505, gid 102)
<< no messages while accessing disk >>
afpd[1443]: server_child[1] 1699 killed
<< at this point, Mac dismounts disk with dialog "The file server's
connection has unexpectedly closed down" and crashing/confusing whatever
programs were accessing the disk >>

Nothing seems abnormal except that the syslog reports "killed".

Netatalk 1.5pre3 on i686 (PII-233) w/128MB RAM

--Flint Million

---

From: xris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:27:11 -0700

> server will kill the connection. Syslog looks like:

I get this, too...  Slackware 8, netatalk 1.5pre6 connecting to a mac
8500/250 running 9.1.   I noticed it on a previous install of slackware 7
running on an old p133 I had for awhile, but only on large file transfers.
With the current install, it seems to happen with any size file transfer, or
when creating a folder (.AppleDouble issues??)...   Though occasionally just
spits me out when I'm browsing the disk....

-Chris

---

From: Mark Guertin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:16:42 -0400

You might want to try the latest CVS.  I finally got this running yesterday
and have transferred almost 100 gigs to/from my netatalk 1.5pre7 slackware 8
server with no problems as of yet.

Mark
======================================
Mark Guertin, IT Manager
Artshouse Communications Inc.
345 Adelaide Street West, Main Floor
Toronto, ON, Canada   M5V 1R5
Phone (416) 340-6284 x222
Fax - (416) 581-1252

> From: xris <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:27:11 -0700
> To: "Flint Million (netatalk)" <[email-masked]>,
> <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: abnormal disconnects
> Resent-From: [email-masked]
> Resent-Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 00:30:21 -0400 (EDT)
>