Subject: Sorry, the password you entered is incorrect. Please reenter it.

From: xris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:41:15 -0700

I got a little help the last time I asked this question, but nothing that
could get me connected to my machine (I don't want to turn on guest).

Anyway, I recently compiled 1.5pre6 with:

    ./configure --disable-ddp --enable-lastdid --with-tcp-wrappers
--with-pam --with-shadow --with-uams-path=/etc/atalk/uams
--sysconfdir=/etc/atalk --with-config-dir=/etc/atalk
--with-msg-dir=/etc/atalk/msg --with-ssl-dir=/usr/include/openssl

I don't use pam, but it was suggested that I try this to alleviate my
problem (it didn't help, no change).

Anyway, afpd does seem to be able to find my config files because I am able
to disable guest login, but for the life of me, I can't get it to accept my
password.  It recognizes my user login (I tried ones that don't exist, and
got something like "user doesn't exist," so I know that its finding my
user).   I've tried the uams_clrtxt.so by itself and in combination with
uams_dhx.so...

Any more suggestions?  It's getting really annoying having to ftp things
back and forth to my file server.

Thanks,

Chris

---

From: Pete Kuczynski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:53:42 -0500

Not and expert but works fine on my RH6.2 server using plain text
passwords. Installed the rpm as rpm -ivh, rebooted, could see my server,
gut right in.

Pete

-- 
_______________________________________
Pete Kuczynski
Sr. Field Engineer
DHL Airways Inc.
Infrastructure Technology & Services
(773)-462-9758
24/7 Helpdesk 1-800-434-5767

---

From: xris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 14:04:36 -0700

> passwords. Installed the rpm as rpm -ivh, rebooted, could see my server,

Unfortunately, Slackware doesn't do rpm files very well.

---

From: Danny Sauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:33:43 -0500

> Unfortunately, Slackware doesn't do rpm files very well.

"rpm -ivh --force --nodeps" usually works fine on slackware... :)
(yeah, you'll have to fix the init scripts yourself, but that's easy)

--Danny, who's had to do this a few times

---

From: "Ed Schwartz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:38:56 -0400

... What's in the log?

- -------------------------------------------------------------
|   Eddie J Schwartz <[email-masked]> http://www.m00.net   |
|     AIM: The Cypher ICQ: 35576339 PGP ID: 0x96CDDED4      |
| "We Trills have an expression--at forty, you think you    |
| know everything.  At four hundred, you realize you know   |
|         nothing." - Dax, Star Trek Deep Space 9           |
- -------------------------------------------------------------

- -----Original Message-----
From: xris [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 4:41 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Sorry, the password you entered is incorrect. Please reenter
it.

I got a little help the last time I asked this question, but nothing
that
could get me connected to my machine (I don't want to turn on guest).

    ./configure --disable-ddp --enable-lastdid --with-tcp-wrappers
- --with-pam --with-shadow --with-uams-path=/etc/atalk/uams
- --sysconfdir=/etc/atalk --with-config-dir=/etc/atalk
- --with-msg-dir=/etc/atalk/msg --with-ssl-dir=/usr/include/openssl

Anyway, afpd does seem to be able to find my config files because I
am able
to disable guest login, but for the life of me, I can't get it to
accept my
password.  It recognizes my user login (I tried ones that don't
exist, and
got something like "user doesn't exist," so I know that its finding
my
user).   I've tried the uams_clrtxt.so by itself and in combination
with
uams_dhx.so...

Any more suggestions?  It's getting really annoying having to ftp
things
back and forth to my file server.

Thanks,

Chris

---

From: xris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:04:42 -0700

> ... What's in the log?

Well, if I could find it, I'd let you know.  It doesn't seem to have created
one.  Just /var/log/packages/netatalk, which has a bunch of random setup
info in it, and hasn't been touched in 2 weeks, and /var/log/scripts, which
is about the same (and hasn't been touched in the same amount of time).
Nothing else on the machine containing "log" and "atalk/netatalk/afpd"

---

From: Nigel Pegram <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:27:49 +1000

try looking for afpd in daemon.log

> From: xris <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:04:42 -0700
> To: Ed Schwartz <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Sorry, the password you entered is incorrect.  Please reenter it.
> Resent-From: [email-masked]
> Resent-Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 23:13:45 -0400 (EDT)
>

---

From: xris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 00:52:23 -0700

> try looking for afpd in daemon.log

Doesn't exist.   Maybe my system is just totally messed-up.  Though I
thought I did a pretty standard install of Slack 8.  Fresh drive, too.  I'm
going to try installing the RPM, though there's something that feels nice
about being able to install things from the source.

---

From: "Ed Schwartz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 07:16:55 -0400

that's slackware's setup log.  You might try looking in
/var/log/messages ...

- -----Original Message-----
From: xris [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 11:05 PM
To: Ed Schwartz; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Sorry, the password you entered is incorrect. Please
reenterit.

> ... What's in the log?

Well, if I could find it, I'd let you know.  It doesn't seem to have
created
one.  Just /var/log/packages/netatalk, which has a bunch of random
setup
info in it, and hasn't been touched in 2 weeks, and /var/log/scripts,
which
is about the same (and hasn't been touched in the same amount of
time).
Nothing else on the machine containing "log" and
"atalk/netatalk/afpd"

---

From: Pete Kuczynski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 07:35:30 -0500

A bit of topic, but,
every email I get from netatalk-admins, the subjet is
"Re: Sorry, the password you entered is incorrect.  Please reenter it."
Is everyone geting this, or just me.

Pete

---

From: Jürgen Weltzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:09:25 +0200

>Is everyone geting this, or just me.

I got this too
-- 
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jürgen Weltzer

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Werbeagentur Weltzer
Max-Eyth-Straße 8
71065 Sindelfingen
Tel. +49 (0) 70.31.81.32.31
Fax +49 (0) 70.31.81.16.01
http://www.w-ww.de/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Der Mensch hat dreierlei Wege, klug zu handeln:
erstens durch Nachdenken, das ist der edelste,
zweitens durch Nachahmen, das ist der leichteste,
und drittens durch Erfahrung, das ist der bitterste.
(Konfuzius)

---

From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:06:04 +1000

try /var/log/messages

ie.

#tail /var/log/messages -f

you should see a lot of afpd messages appearing. alternatively, start afpd
**without** forking (ie. not as a daemon), and you  should see debug
messages appear on your terminal.

in netatalk.conf, set:
ATALK_BGROUND=no

and fire up atalkd and afpd.

A couple of things to check: which uams are you using ie. dhx, pam (which
uses dhx), rand, cleartxt? you can define this both in afpd.conf and
netatalk.conf, but they won't work if you haven't compiled/made with these
options (ie. --with-pam --with-shadow etc etc...).

Cheers,

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: xris [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, 24 August 2001 17:52
To: Nigel Pegram; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Sorry, the password you entered is incorrect. Please
reenterit.

---

From: xris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 12:31:07 -0700

> #tail /var/log/messages -f

Yeah, got it.  Still confused:

Aug 25 12:24:16 agni afpd[530]: ASIP started on 127.0.0.1:548(1) (1.5pre6)
Aug 25 12:24:16 agni afpd[530]: uam: uams_dhx.so loaded
Aug 25 12:24:16 agni afpd[530]: uam: "DHCAST128" available
Aug 25 12:24:38 agni afpd[532]: ASIP session:548(1) from 10.0.0.2:49181(0)
Aug 25 12:24:38 agni afpd[530]: server_child[1] 532 done
Aug 25 12:24:43 agni afpd[533]: ASIP session:548(1) from 10.0.0.2:49182(0)
Aug 25 12:24:43 agni afpd[533]: dhx login: xris
Aug 25 12:24:43 agni afpd[533]: 0.17KB read, 0.13KB written
Aug 25 12:24:43 agni afpd[530]: server_child[1] 533 done

Same thing happens with cleartxt - reads like .07KB, writes .07KB, and then
says my mac disconnected - but I'd rather force dhx.

> messages appear on your terminal.

That's how I always start it when testing.  No debug messages.

> ATALK_BGROUND=no

Yeah, it is/was.

> and fire up atalkd and afpd.

No atalkd, just afpd.

> options (ie. --with-pam --with-shadow etc etc...).

Yeah, I've gone through all of this multiple times.  Pretty sure it's a
config issue, but am completely lost now.

---

From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:17:47 +1000

what you have below looks fine - client reads / writes data, connection is
closed. doesn't have a disconnection error message in the log though...

to debug, i'd try:

delete your source tree for netatalk:
#rm -rf /usr/src/netatalk-1.5pre6

extract it again from the tarball, and try the following configure:

# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/netatalk --sysconfdir=/etc/netatalk \
--with-config-dir=/etc/netatalk --with-pam --with-shadow \
--with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/openssl --enable-timelord \
--with-flock-locks --with-tcp-wrappers --enable-lastdid

Once it's configured happily, make, make install. Try plugging in the
following config files in /etc/netatalk/ - if they work, they'll at least
give you a starting point, from where you can tweak them to make them work
for you.

The above config is what I needed to get it working correctly with file
locking for quark xpress users, using a 2.4 kernel. it behaves differently
with a 2.2 kernel.

Note that I don't use a netatalk.conf file - i found it worked better
without it (go figure).

Cheers,

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: xris [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, 26 August 2001 05:31
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Sorry, the password you entered is incorrect.
Pleasereenterit.

Yeah, it is/was.

No atalkd, just afpd.

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 02:53:46 +0200

> locking for quark xpress users, using a 2.4 kernel. it behaves differently

I'm wondering about --with-flock-locks ... after upgrading my test
server (now Suse 7.2) to a 2.4 Kernel, for the first time byte range
locking works -- and for me, it works with QXPress as well.

Did you give byte range locking a try?

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers

---

From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:08:40 +1000

I haven't managed to get byte range locking working.

<snip>

</snip>

---

From: xris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 10:55:20 -0700

OK, I just updated to 1.5pre7 today, hoping that it might help my
problem....

I compiled with:

    ./configure --disable-ddp --enable-lastdid --with-tcp-wrappers
    --with-shadow --with-uams-path=/etc/atalk/uams --sysconfdir=/etc/atalk
    --with-config-dir=/etc/atalk --with-msg-dir=/etc/atalk/msg
    --with-ssl-dir=/usr/include/openssl

AppleVolumes.default contains:

    #bunch of comments
    /drive2 "Agni" options:usedots allow:@users
    ~

afpd.conf contains:

    "Agni" -transall -uamlist uams_dhx.so

I'm not using atalkd, just afpd.  No pam, etc...

When I try to log in from my mac, I get:

    Sorry, the password you entered is
    incorrect.  Please reenter it.

I've tried logging in with multiple users, etc, so I know it's not my
password.

Here is my log:

Aug 30 10:43:38 agni afpd[20041]: ASIP started on 127.0.0.1:548(1) (1.5pre7)
Aug 30 10:43:38 agni afpd[20041]: uam: uams_dhx.so loaded
Aug 30 10:43:38 agni afpd[20041]: uam: "DHCAST128" available
Aug 30 10:43:54 agni afpd[20042]: ASIP session:548(1) from 10.0.0.2:50926(0)
Aug 30 10:43:54 agni afpd[20041]: server_child[1] 20042 done
Aug 30 10:44:10 agni afpd[20043]: ASIP session:548(1) from 10.0.0.2:50927(0)
Aug 30 10:44:10 agni afpd[20043]: dhx login: xris
Aug 30 10:44:10 agni afpd[20043]: 0.17KB read, 0.13KB written
Aug 30 10:44:10 agni afpd[20041]: server_child[1] 20043 done
Aug 30 10:44:31 agni afpd[20044]: ASIP session:548(1) from 10.0.0.2:50928(0)
Aug 30 10:44:31 agni afpd[20044]: dhx login: larry
Aug 30 10:44:31 agni afpd[20044]: 0.17KB read, 0.13KB written
Aug 30 10:44:31 agni afpd[20041]: server_child[1] 20044 done
Aug 30 10:44:47 agni afpd[20045]: ASIP session:548(1) from 10.0.0.2:50929(0)
Aug 30 10:44:47 agni afpd[20045]: dhx login: triffan
Aug 30 10:44:47 agni afpd[20045]: 0.18KB read, 0.13KB written
Aug 30 10:44:47 agni afpd[20041]: server_child[1] 20045 done
Aug 30 10:45:53 agni afpd[20041]: shutting down on signal 15

Am I correct in assuming that this is telling me that it's doing everything
that it's supposed to, but just can't find the password?

How do I fix it?  It's really annoying.

I've also noticed a couple of things.  No rc.d/rc.atalk file was created
with the install, and all of the config files have moved from /etc/atalk/ to
/etc/atalk/netatalk/ - not that this makes much of a difference since I just
symlinked my config files to ../afpd.conf (etc.)

Should I be starting afpd with something more than just "afpd"?

---

From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:57:30 +1000

update the software on your macintosh. not sure which - i had a similar
problem with a client. i think apple have a site ala "windowsupdate".

-----Original Message-----
From: xris [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, 31 August 2001 03:55
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Sorry, the password you entered is incorrect.
Pleasereenterit.

I compiled with:

    #bunch of comments

afpd.conf contains:

Here is my log: