Subject: Help needed: Problems with German special characters öäüÖÄÜ

From: "Kay Galba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 19:34:04 +0200

Hy,
we ‚re working with Netatalk 1.5pre2-6 on RedHat 7.1.
I'm not able to force the Mac's to read and write the German specials
characters correctly in filenames and Directorynames !
I've already read throug the Archive and tried all out but nothing works.
Here is the intresting Section of AppleVolumes.default:
[snip]
~ PCSLOCAL options:noadouble,mswindows,codepage:maccode.iso8859-1
[/snip]

Any clue ?

_________________________
mit freundlichen Grüssen

Kay Galba
Technische Leitung
PCS New Media GmbH
Ruhrstrasse 11
22761 Hamburg

Telefon   +49 (0)40  85 17 92 - 0
E-Mail     [email-masked]
Web        www.pcshome.de
_______________________________

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 19:49:20 +0200

I have no such options in my AppleVolumes.default
and swedish special characters work fine RH7.1, 1.5pre8

/Mikko

---

From: Jason Quigley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:36:44 +0200

I suppose by reading the configuration, the issue is that files created 
by PeeCees via Samba are not showing up correctly. I would also like to 
get around this for Spanish letters.

Has anybody got any ideas? The only solution I have come up with so far 
involves:

a) Mac and PC users have to be careful about some characters.
b) Mac users only have to be careful about some characters.
c) PC users only, have to be careful about some characters.

I would like:

d) Nirvana

I have tried all sorts of combinations with character translations both 
in Samba and Netatalk all to no avail.

---

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 01:32:26 +0200

> c) PC users only, have to be careful about some characters.

You can't really get away with ALL characters working. First
problem is, MacRoman has 32 characters that don't exist in
Latin1.

Also, PeeCees will freak at a '/' (since it converted to a
':2f' and M$W doesn't like ':', and also at a '\'. Apart from
this fact, you could probably make your own codepage to handle
all the characters that exist in MacRoman but not in Latin1.
This would make these files look odd in Windows, but it works.
I did a patch for netatalk to save its files in the latin1
charset instead of using the :xx translation. This was way back
in '96 or so, and it worked fine. I used the area between 0x80
- 0x9f, which is not used in latin1 (control chars, more or
less a duplicate of 0x00 - 0x1f) to store MacRoman chars like R
in a circle , triple dots (...), the long f (folder symbol in
devel progs) etc. It worked fine, in fact it was more or less
nirvana ;-), but was not maintainable any more after nls
support made its way into netatalk somewhere around '98. I
guess it would be rather easy to create a codepage for this. 

I tell my users not to use the very special MacRoman chars, and
there is also a Mac-only share where they can store third party
stuff, which often contains (tm) etc...

BTW, I had problem using nls in 1.5p7, but it seems to work
fine with 1.5p8. I didn't have to investigate at that time, so
maybe I was just beeing stupid... :)

> > and swedish special characters work fine RH7.1, 1.5pre8

You need *something* to get netatalk to store in latin1, or
else it will convert an 'ö' to ':f6' e.g. I works fine for mac
clients, but not for any other systems you might want to share
your files with.

> >> ~ PCSLOCAL options:noadouble,mswindows,codepage:maccode.iso8859-1

This should read:
~ PCSLOCAL options:noadouble,mswindows
codepage:maccode.iso8859-1
                                      ^
Right?

Regards,

-- 
Palle Girgensohn

Partitur Informationsteknik AB
http://www.partitur.se/partitur/visitkort/girgensohn.jpg