Subject: Netatalk wont talk to NIS with SuSE 7.3

From: "David Martin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:57:17 -0000 (GMT)

I have just set up a SuSE 7.3 box with the netatalk package and NIS to a
remote box..

Netatalk works fine as long as I only log in as a local users. it fails to
authenticate against NIS complaining that it cannot find the user in the
shadow password file.

Is this diagnostic of some misconfiguration on build, ie should there be
some compile time option to set it to use both network and local authentication?

The usernames/passwords are otherwise fine..

...d

-- 
David Martin PhD
Bioinformatics Scientific Officer
Molecular Interactions and Post Genomics Centre
University of Dundee

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:45:14 +0100

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:57:17 -0000 (GMT), David Martin wrote:

> I have just set up a SuSE 7.3 box with the netatalk package

The one supplied with SuSE 7.3? If so, forget about it. It is based on
1.5pre7 and built with "--enable-cnid-db". I wouldn't call CNID itself
experimental but there are serious issues when you handle files locally on
your linux box or by other filesharing daemons like samba.

> [...]

I thought, this can be done with PAM? But I'm no expert on this...

You can take a look how this package was built by extracting the
netatalk.spec file out of the source-prm (on your CDs, or via FTP:
<ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/7.3/suse/zq1/netatalk.spm>):

eg. with 'rpm2cpio netatalk.spm | cpio -iduv netatalk.spec'

(btw: does anyone know a better way to extract single files from rpm?)

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 19:03:16 +0000 (GMT)

> authenticate against NIS complaining that it cannot find the user in the

I can't speak for SuSE since I've never used it but I have had netatalk
working just fine on Slackware using NIS for some time. (just so you know
it can work!)

It may help to know that I think it was necessary to use pam for
authentication so you may need to get and compile that if it is not part
of SuSE.

I use plain text passwords (naughty I know) and my /etc/pam.conf looks
like this:

#%PAM-1.0
netatalk auth    required       /lib/security/pam_shells.so
netatalk auth       required    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nodelay
netatalk account    required    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nodelay
#password   required    /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
#netatalk password   required   /lib/security/pam_unix.so use_authtok
netatalk password   required    /lib/security/pam_unix.so use_authtok nis
netatalk session    required    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nodelay

I never could make changing passwords work, though I didn't try very hard.

HTH.

-- 
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Manager, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 446 6070    Fax: +44 131 452 8594
Microsoft - because god hates us