Subject: Strange errors in netatalk-1.5pre6

From: Morten Dreier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:38:20 +0100

I get some strange errors with netatalk-1.5pre6 on a RedHat 7.2 machine.
When we save files in QuarkXPress, we get a error message, and Quark is 
unable to save the file. The file and the resource in the .AppleDouble 
directory is owned by the same user. The permissions on the files are 
correct. The timestamp on the resource file indicates that it has been 
modified, but the file itself has not been modified.
When we copy files to the server, everything works ok - it only occurrs 
when we save the files from Quark itself.

Is this related to this ol prerelease version of netatalk or is this 
something that I can configure in some way?

-- 
Morten Dreier

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Feb 2002 08:50:37 -0500

Yes, there are a number of known issues w/ Quark. I recommend upgrading
to a stable version of Netatalk 1.5 at your earliest convenience.

-- 

Matthew Keller
Enterprise System Analyst
Computing & Technology Services
Information Services Division
State University of NY at Potsdam
Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/

---

From: Morten Dreier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:41:41 +0100

>to a stable version of Netatalk 1.5 at your earliest convenience.
Thanks - 1.5.2 installed - and it looks like the problem is gone.
But we found a new one... :(
When we try to build a Flash Projector - a Flash standalone - we get 
err39 - EOF - when we generate it and try to run it on the server. When 
we run it locally, it works find. Sounds like a problem in the same 
neighbourhood... :(
Both the data and resource parts are updated, but do not work.

---

From: Ray Shaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:43:34 -0500

> to a stable version of Netatalk 1.5 at your earliest convenience.

Note that there are apparently problems with Quark and networks in
general, not just Quark and netatalk.  According to what I've read, if
you open a Quark file by double-clicking it, Quark creates a temp
swap file in the same location as the file, which causes it to panic
and barf if your network is less than perfect (and whose isn't?).  If
you use "Open" from the File menu, Quark supposedly puts the swap file
where the OS tells it.  After years of cursing at Quark, this
discovery has caused it to actually work for me.

-- 
--Ray

-----------------------------
Sotto la panca la capra crepa
sopra la panca la capra campa

---

From: Tyler Hardison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:03:31 -0800

> discovery has caused it to actually work for me.

Yeah this has been a known issue for some time. Quark insists that the 
problem is fixxed in 5.0. However, due to capital budgte restrictions I have 
been unable as of yet to purchase it. Does anyone know if this was fixxed?

Thanks

Tyler.

---

From: Morten Dreier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:28:35 +0100

> Thanks - 1.5.2 installed - and it looks like the problem is gone.

And we have another problem. This time it is concerning Photoshop Files 
- we can't open them after we move them to the server. When we move them 
back to the local machine, they work ok.
Is this another known issue?
The machine is using ext3 filesystem - can this be a source to the error?

>>> When we save files in QuarkXPress, we get a error message, and Quark 
>>> is unable to save the file. The file and the resource in the 
>>> .AppleDouble directory is owned by the same user. The permissions on 
>>> the files are correct. The timestamp on the resource file indicates 
>>> that it has been modified, but the file itself has not been modified.
>>> When we copy files to the server, everything works ok - it only 
>>> occurrs when we save the files from Quark itself.
>>>

---

From: Morten Dreier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 16:13:30 +0100

Mac Conin wrote:
> Hm,
> 
> what version of photoshop? we're using Pshop 5.0, 5.5 with OS 9.any
> and having no problems.
> 
> what kind of error is it - cant open or anything else?

End of file.
We'll try Marcus' tip as soon as the staff goes home for the day.
We use Photoshop 5.5 and MacOS 9.1