Subject: Network Browser & SLP

From: Ken Gillett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:46:14 +0000

Since my last question regarding why I couldn't mount the Netatalk 
volumes via the Network Browser on a client Mac (G3 - OS 9.2.2) I 
have discovered that I also cannot mount a shared volume from another 
Mac either (I'm sure it used to work) and that other Mac (8500 - OS 
9.1) *can* mount volumes using its NB???

I have checked and both Macs use the same version of NB and all the 
NSL Manager stuff, although I do not believe that SLP is used for the 
actual mounting process.

I have also noticed that NB on the 8500 shows all services (Netatalk, 
Personal file and web sharing) in a 'Local Services' neighborhood 
within the 'Local Network' neighborhood, whereas the G3 puts all 
these services straight into 'Local Network' - there's no 'Local 
Services' neighborhood at all.

So, has anyone any ideas as to:-

Why NB on the G3 refuses to mount the Netatalk and other volumes?

What these Network Neighborhoods are all about?

Regarding the latter, I had thought these should correspond to any 
'scope' as set by the SLP server, but I tried that and created new 
neighborhoods with matching names, but NB did not actually put 
anything in them and didn't show what I had 'scoped' in that way.

Can anyone recommend any serious docs on the matter of how the NB 
operates and how best to make use of it? It all seems to be a bit of 
a black art at the moment.

BTW, this is ALL TCP/IP only, NO AppleTalk at all.
-- 

Ken  G i l l e t t

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/