Subject: Log in problems

From: Brian Curtis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 12:56:14 -0500

First of all, thanks to Ralph and Wes for helping a Newbie.  I finally got
the Linux box to show up on the network.  Now I would like to add users.
When I add a new user  and add them to a group I created macclients I can't
see any of the shared files.  I played around with permissions for the
folders and assigned them to macclients.  Also added 

/datafolders/creative "Creative Volume" options=noadouble,crlf
access=macclients

To the Apple Volumes.default file.  Any other suggestions?

Brian Curtis

Information Technology Manager
Red-Wire
Kelliher Samets Volk
802.862.8261

---

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 14:07:50 -0500

>First of all, thanks to Ralph and Wes for helping a Newbie.  I 
>finally got the Linux box to show up on the network.  Now I would 
>like to add users.  When I add a new user  and add them to a group I 
>created macclients I can't see any of the shared files.  I played 
>around with permissions for the folders and assigned them to 
>macclients.  Also added
>

Its not a _problem_ per se, but why the noadouble? It shouldn't hurt 
either way... Shouldn't you have used a ":" instead of the "="? Read 
the AppleVolumes.default file info. Where are you getting the 
"access=" from?

In my A/V.default, I have:

[snip]
:DEFAULT: options:nohex,usedots,noadouble # I use noadouble as well
~/
/home/path/to/a/dir "Some Accessible Directory"
/home/path/to/another/dir "Some Other Accessible Directory"
/home/path/to/data allow:appleserver,@users

under netatalk-1.5pre6, where "appleserver" is a system user and 
@users is the group its in.

Each system user can access their own homes via the ~/ option. 
Therefore, me, wyates, can get to my home with user and pass. "Login 
as Guest" can only see whats in the /path/to/guest dir and anything 
else _not_ controlled by ~/, a password, or allow:.

Above, "data", a system user, has owner access to /home/path/to/data, 
whereas appleserver in the same group has access as well. but he has 
group privilages.

Here is /home/path/to/data ls:

drwxrwxr-x  17 data     users        1024 Dec  3 07:43 data

If appleserver is in the _users_ group, he can rwx as can data, but 
not own data. appleserver can even access this directory with its own 
password (not data's). Works like a champ to me.

-Wes
-- 

-Wes Yates
[email-masked]
wesyates.homeip.net

----------------------------------------------
The Woolsey-Swanson Rule

People would rather live with a problem they cannot solve than accept 
a problem they do not understand.

----------------------------------------------

---

From: Henry Zeringue <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 13:17:41 -0600

On Monday, December 3, 2001, at 11:56 AM, Brian Curtis wrote:

> First of all, thanks to Ralph and Wes for helping a Newbie.  I finally 
> got the Linux box to show up on the network.  Now I would like to add 
> users.  When I add a new user  and add them to a group I created 
> macclients I can't see any of the shared files.  I played around with 
> permissions for the folders and assigned them to macclients.  Also added
>

So you're able to login?
I believe the above line should read: access=@macclients
if "macclients" is a group.

> Information Technology Manager
--------------------------------------------------------
Henry 'Gripp' Zeringue	Home:	(608)260-8098
Biomedical Engineering	Mobile:	(608)239-2168
1410 Engineering Dr.	Office:	(608)262-8212
Madison, WI 53706-1608	Lab:	(608)262-3013
[email-masked]	Fax:	(608)265-9239
---------------------------------------------------------
<File attached: Henry Zeringue.vcf>