Subject: bonded ethernet

From: "Kevin Mullican" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:48:16 -0700

Greetings all,

I apologize if this is a complete rehash, but I just joined the list.

I am attempting to integrate a new Linux machine into an existing Macintosh 
environment. All the Macs are G4s with OS 9.1 or 9.2. I have another Linux 
box acting as an appletalk router (assigning zones, etc) on the same 
network, and it is functioning properly. The physical topology is 2 separate 
macintosh networks (administrative and production) with the old Linux 
machine as the router. I want the new machine to participate in the 
appletalk network as a fileserver.

The new Linux machine is a dual PIII running a nearly generic install of 
RedHat 7.1 with a 2.4.3-12 smp kernel and netatalk-1.5pre2-6. Installed are 
2 3com 3c996 Gigabit ethernet adapters in the machine, which are actually 
Broadcom 5700 chipsets. Linux will only run the bcm5700 module as a kernel 
loadable module. When configured as individual adapters, appletalk performs 
fine. When I bond the two adapters together, appletalk fails to properly 
configure the newly bonded interface. Otherwise, the bonded interface is 
working properly. Although I can attach to the server as an IP client, NBP 
is not working. Also, I am unable to resolve any Zone information on the 
bonded port. My best guess is a multicasting problem. I know ZIP info is on 
an odd broadcast address, and I am assuming it is not properly implemented 
in the bonding driver.

Before I started hacking, I wanted to see if anyone else had run into this 
problem.

Thanks,
Kevin Mullican
The Mullican Group
mailto:[email-masked]

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp

---

From: Chris Bondelid <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:13:32 -0700

What interface do you get with the resultant bond?  eth0 or bond0?  You're
starting netatalk after the interfaces are bonded I take it.

mmm, fastgigachannel...  : )

You might need to specify in atalkd.conf your new bond interface instead of
letting netatalk detect it automagically is the first thing that comes to
mind.

Are you running AppleTalk and IP at the same time?  My 9.1 clients browse
via AT and connect via IP with no trouble.  What does nbplkup result in?
Make sure atalk module is loaded or compiled into your kernel.

Chris

SysAdmin
University Mechanical

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Mullican [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 11:48 AM
To: 	
Subject: bonded ethernet

Greetings all,

Thanks,
Kevin Mullican
The Mullican Group