Subject: Re: Netatalk flubs data on text files, not others

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 13:11:14 -0800

>Out of curiousity, does
>
>	tr '\012' '\015' blah.iso | md5sum
>
>give you 'wxyz', or something different?

I had to do:

cat blah.iso | tr '\012' '\015' | md5sum

The result was something different entirely from 'abcd' or 'wxyz'.

But wait! I then did:

cat blah.iso | tr '\015' '\012' | md5sum

And I got 'wxyz'. So apparently Netatalk is changing my \015's to \012's 
by default. Any developer have some insight on this? Is this indeed crlf 
translation? I thought it was off -- I created a text file under Linux 
and opened it with Simpletext; I got the funny block characters instead 
of proper Mac linefeeds, so I thought crlf was off. Was I wrong?

Also, does anybody know how to turn off all text handling on Netatalk? I 
looked in all the conf files but I couldn't see what to do. Having to 
rename my files to 'blah.tar.gz' just to copy them unmolested to the Mac, 
then renaming them after they've arrived seems a silly workaround.

And what are the downsides of turning off all text handling? Are text 
files going to be become unreadable? Is my hair going to lose its natural 
curl?

Steve