Subject: Building 1.5pre3 for FreeBSD

From: Ralph Dratman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 13:14:53 -0500

Hello.

I am using FreeBSD 3.3 and have Netatalk 4.2 working.
Mostly it seems fine. However, there is a problem with certain
directories when brought up on a Mac. At first there are many items,
then the items "flicker" and mostly disappear, leaving only a few
folders and a file called "[".

I mentioned this on a FreeBSD list and someone said he'd seen a
similar problem and suggested I install the latest version of
Netatalk. I downloaded 1.5pre3 and tried to follow the build
instructions from the README, which go like this:

	1.  Set DESTDIR in the root Makefile.  DESTDIR is the directory below
	    which all binaries will be installed.  Setting it causes all
	    installation-relative pathnames to be set correctly...

	2.  When you've completed the configuration, type "make" at the root of
	    the source.  This will make all binaries.

	...

I looked for Makefile and found instead Makefile.am and Makefile.in.
Makefile.am contained a line

	DESTDIR =

which I changed to

	DESTDIR = /usr/local/

(Was this correct? Or should I have omitted the trailing slash?).

Then I typed "make" and got back

	make: no target to make.

Question: What did I do wrong and what should I do now?

Thank you.

Regards,

Ralph Dratman

---

From: Bill Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 13:28:35 -0500

> folders and a file called "[".

You can also install the Netatalk version with asun patches to fix this.
Although I've heard that the 1.5pre is even better. (advantage to the
version with the asun patches is there's a FreeBSD port/package
available, so installation is a snap)

<SNIP>

> Question: What did I do wrong and what should I do now?

Seems like there should be a configure step in there. Try changing
Makefile.am back the way it was, then enter "./configure" in the base
directory of the Netatalk source. There should then be an actual
"Makefile" that you can edit per the above instructions, and make should
work after that.

-Bill

---

From: Ralph Dratman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:08:15 -0500

Bill,

Thanks much for your reply.

>available, so installation is a snap)

Where would I get the "version with asun patches" as a FreeBSD 
package? And what version number or other identifier would I want to 
look for?

Regards,

Ralph Dratman

---

From: Bill Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 16:51:01 -0500

> package? And what version number or other identifier would I want to

netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3_1 is the version you're looking for.
If you want the package find it on this page:
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/net.html
There's a link straight to the binary tarball on that page. Once
downloaded you can installed it with pkg_add(1)
You can also go to the /usr/ports/net/netatalk-asun/ directory and do
"make install" if you have the ports tree.

I want to reiterate that others on this list have commented that 1.5pre
is more reliable than 1.4+asun. Personally, I have no experience with
1.5pre so I can't compare the two, but you may want to look at both.

-Bill

---

From: Bill Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 16:57:51 -0500

> package? And what version number or other identifier would I want to

As a side note ... I noticed that the startup script that gets installed
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d is broken. It's basically missing the "#!/bin/sh"
at the beginning of the file and therefore it doesn't execute (and
therefore Netatalk doesn't start up at system boot)
Now that I've been reminded of this I'll notify the port maintainer as
well so he/she/it can fix it.

-Bill

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 09:25:43 -0500

> well so he/she/it can fix it.

Just committed your fix to the tree. Sorry about the wait.

jeff

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 09:42:08 -0500

>             the source.  This will make all binaries.

To avoid further confusion, I have updated the README in the netatalk
distribution to include instructions on building with the ./configure
system.

jeff