Subject: papd vs lpd

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 22:12:44 -0400

I've recently "upgraded" a server to slackware 8.0, and everything
works except that I can no longer print from my mac.  Attempts to
print cause the dreaded message

Your printer job (untitled) 
was not printed because it was not linked to the original file

to show up as a mail message.

I've done some research into this, and found a number of hints
(permission problem, bugs in lpd, bugs in papd etc), but no hard data.
I'm pretty sure I no longer have permission problems, as I've ensured
that all the gid and uids line up with what the various daemons are
running as, and for good measure I chmod'ed everything in the spool
directories to allow rw by everybody, but no help.  I've dug around
looking for various config options, but not found anything to turn up
debug levels, to try to figure out what's the root of the problem.
The papd and lpd code is all remarkably free of comments.  Has anyone
out there come up with a definitive set of causes and/or cures for
this problem?

slackware 8.0
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 
lpr (lpd) 0.48

TIA...

---

From: Dejan Muhamedagic <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 05:01:08 +0200

Hi,

It's probably that old problem with papd creating a file with too
restrictive permissions for the lpd.  Try changing your papd
config file so that the pr capability reads something like:

:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Plp:

Substitute your printer's name for lp.  BTW, upgrading to lprng
may be a good idea.

Dejan

-- 
Dejan Muhamedagic         mailto:[email-masked]
Kaunitzgasse 9/15, 1060 Wien, Austria   +43 664 2111 219

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 07:40:01 -0400

From: Dejan Muhamedagic <[email-masked]>
    Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 05:01:08 +0200
    
[...]    
    :pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Plp:
    
Yup, that did it.  Many thanks.

This seems like a bug in papd.  Anybody making noise about fixing it
in a future release?