Subject: Experience with 1.5pre8

From: "Jason Lam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 22:39:43 -0500

I just setup a production machine with netatalk, just want to share my
experience (painful) with other admins on this list and hopefully will get
some hints or tips on improving my setup.

I first went with RH 7.1 and a customed kernel (2.4.9), using ext2 as the
main file system, the disk array is a icp (Intel) controller driven 250G
RAID 5. I tried to patch RH7.1's GCC and libc, however, it seems that this
will break things for netatalk and other server apps that I am running, so,
re-install of 7.1 again. On the fresh plaform, I compiled netatalk with
almost everything default except path, everything seems fine, tried to
populate the server with files, I notice that folders are starting to go
missing, I am losing a lot of folders. Checking syslog shows massive amount
of DID conflict, so I should have --with-lastdid, compiled with this option,
still losing a lot of folders.

Next thing I tried was with reiserfs and --enable-lastdid (which should be
the same as --with-lastdid), then the system seems to be stable now. Been
two days without a DID conflict yet. My server is resonably heavy loaded.

I also compiled with --with-flock-locks, but I am still having trouble in
Quark with "file in use" messages when saving. Is there anyway I could get
rid of this problem?

Why is my netatalk shows pre7 when I am sure I downloaded pre8?

Jason Lam

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:19:06 +0100

> two days without a DID conflict yet. My server is resonably heavy loaded.

Actually, looking at the source there is neither. The only DID related
option is --with-did=last. I admit that the documentation in pre8 was
unfortunatly wrong in this regard.

> Why is my netatalk shows pre7 when I am sure I downloaded pre8?

Bug. The version number was not incremented. It is pre8.

 - Sebastian