Subject: Authentication failure -- No such file or directory

From: "Alexander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:59:31 -0400

Newbie here.

I have been unsuccessful in getting ANY Mac user (including guest) authenticated on my Linux box.  I
have tried so many different options of compilation variables that I have lost track - all ending
with the same message in /var/log/messages -

"uams_dhx_pam.c :PAM: PAM_Error: Authentication failure -- No such file or directory"

The only thing that works is that I can get it to appear in the Chooser, and that it recognizes when
I have tried to login with a user name that does not exist.  No matter what username I use - that
same error appears in the log file and the Mac responds with the ".. incorrect password .." message.

Here is my current setup
Linux -
Red Hat 7.1 with a 2.4.6 kernel
AFS Server (v1.2)
OpenSSL v0.9.6-9
netatalk 1.5pre7

Mac (for testing) -
G3 Powerbook with OS 9.1

I have read the posts and tried the suggestions about enabling shadow, using the afppasswd file,
using the .passwd file in the home directory, etc. ad nauseam with the same result each and every
time.

>From another linux box I can remotely ssh into my Netatalk box and login in with my test user just
fine.

AFS Notes:
The share point for the Mac Volume I am trying to mount is not on any AFS volume, so I have not
configured netatalk nor my test user with any afs options. The only thing of interest with afs is a
difference between logging in.... directly at the console results with an AFS Password prompt
(/var/log/messages logs an invalid password) -though connecting via ssh there is only one such
password prompt and there are no error messages).  Both result with a valid login to the user's home
directory.

I have the strangest feeling - there is a simple answer, but I can't see the forest with in huge
tree in my way.

I would gladly take any suggestions no matter how obvious they may seem.

Thanks in advance.
ak
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Alexander Karst
[email-masked]

---

From: "Alexander" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 15:14:49 -0400

newbie error.

With all the different options I was using in the final run I neglected to include the all important
"--with-pam" tag to the configure line.

However, I did notice a bug - but I will start another thread for that.

Thanks,
ak

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexander [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 10:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Authentication failure -- No such file or directory

Newbie here.

Here is my current setup
Linux -

Mac (for testing) -
G3 Powerbook with OS 9.1

fine.

AFS Notes:

Thanks in advance.
ak