Subject: semi-off-topic: how to veto Mac-Icon files in Samba?

From: Lorenzo Perone <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 17:32:21 +0200

Hi all,

sorry that I'm posting this here - but after all I think it's more likely that someone on this list has an answer...:

How can I veto the mac-custom Icon files in smb.conf? I tried with /Icon^M/,
but it didn't work out, the pcs are showing them. It looks like there is a ascii 13 or 10 after the n - anybody got those Icon files hidden to SMB clients?

Thanks,

Lorenzo

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:13:11 -0400

Lorenzo, just drop this into your smb.conf file and edit away 
what you don't need.

veto files = 
/*Security*/*root*/.AppleDouble/.bin/.AppleDesktop/Network Trash 
Folder/.Parent/Icon?/Desktop/DesktopFolderDB/

	Ryan

>Hi all,
>
>sorry that I'm posting this here - but after all I think it's more 
>likely that someone on this list has an answer...:
>
>but it didn't work out, the pcs are showing them. It looks like 
>there is a ascii 13 or 10 after the n - anybody got those Icon files 
>hidden to SMB clients?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Lorenzo

__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
__________________________________
Two strings walk into a bar.
The first string asks the bartender:
"Can I have a beer 9^#5bwjD$#@ssDSDeh"
The Second string says:
"Excuse my friend, he isn't null terminated."

---

From: Frank Joerdens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 21:57:35 +0200

> Folder/.Parent/Icon?/Desktop/DesktopFolderDB/

I tried that for a while until I noticed that Samba then vetoes anything
that starts with Icon*, e.g. files that are named >Icon< or >Icons< . .
. since this a graphics shop, people do name their files like that now
and then . . . 

Maybe the Samba config file parser is not capable of coping with this,
since it assumes that >Icon?< is a regular expression.  You'd probably
need to hack the Samba source, search for the code that does the
vetoing, and then tweak it according to your needs, or maybe find that
there is a way to represent the funny character at the end of the
Icon (does anyone know what it is in hex, or how to find out what it
is?) files correctly for the config file parser . . . ugh.

I am resigned to the fact that some things simply don't work too
perfectly in a mixed PC/Mac environment with Netatalk/Samba. Overall I
must say though that we don't have many problems (I think it's funny
that the, theoretically, gravest issue, the locking problem, has not
caused _any_ hiccups in almost a year of mostly smooth operation).

Cheers, Frank