Subject: Free space calculation problems in netatalk-1.5pre8 ...

From: Lauren Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 13:45:35 -0800

Greetings netatalkers,

Our setup:

--Server running SunOS 5.8 (Sparc, ufs filesystem), Netatalk version
1.5pre8
--Client macs running mix of OS 9.0 and 9.2

Accessing the netatalk share (/var/fileserver on the Sun machine) works
great, but the Macs incorrectly report no space free on the device, (and
Mac OS reports that "An additional 214,000,000 GB must be thrown away"
when attempting to copy over a file to the share from the Mac Finder).

The partition the shared directory is on has plenty of space free, 

lelliott$ df -k
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on

...

/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0    8749829 4520502 4141829    53%    /var

and I have found online some reports of aftd free space calculation
problems in, and patches for, netatalk 1.4 but nothing for this version.
Oddly I'm running the same netatalk version on a Linux i386 machine with
ext2 filesystem and the Macs report space correctly on that share, but
unfortunately I'm forced to use the SunOS machine for this server and so
need to get this working properly.  Anyone else running 1.5pre8 on Sparc
successfully and know what the problem is, and/or know of tips or
patches?  Happy to hack source if someone could point me in the right
direction.  

Eternally grateful if someone can help... Thanks!!

Regards,

-- 
Lauren Elliott
zNET Internet Services
http://www.znet.com

---

From: Lauren Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:08:08 -0800

Hi folks, 

Just as a follow up for the archives and in case anyone else is having
this problem, I was able to get correct free space reporting of the
netatalk share on the Mac side after implementing a suggested hack from
Joe Clarke (to define NO_LARGE_VOL_SUPPORT in config.h, and recompile).

Cheers,

> /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0    8749829 4520502 4141829    53%    /var

<SNIP>

-- 
Lauren Elliott
zNET Internet Services
800-438-9638
http://www.znet.com