Subject: Recommendations sought (off-topic?)

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:27:18 -0800

A while back there was a sort of a gotcha with Intel ethernet cards 
(EtherExpress Pro 100?). Had something to do with multicasts and 
AppleTalk. Don't remember how that exactly turned out.

I'm currently experiencing trouble with my network card -- it 
continuously re-negotiates 10/100 full/half with my el cheapo hub. It's 
a 3Com, but I don't blame it on them because the card got yanked out of 
the PCI slot while the system was up. The hub is an 8 port NetGear 
10/100, and I believe it only supports half duplex.

So what I'm looking for is:

- a network card that is well supported in Linux (I'm on Redhat 7.1), ie 
doesn't have any multicast troubles, and that plays nice with el cheapo 
hubs

and/or

- a hub that supports full duplex

Thanks for your suggestions. Sorry to be a little off-topic. If folks 
reply to me instead of the list, I'll post aa summary of what I learn.

---

From: "Bryn Hughes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:04:30 -0800

Why not just force the link state on the card?

----------------------------------------------
Bryn Hughes
Macintosh/Linux Support
Information and Computing Services
Vancouver Community College

email:[email-masked]
ph: (604) 443-8702
Urgent: (604) 871-7007