Subject: Sharing a directory with Samba and Netatalk

From: Tim Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 22:28:46 +0100

Hi,

I'm running 1.5pre6 under Mandrake, and sharing a directory with netatalk
and samba. The problem is that when files/directories are created which are
over 31 characters long, the macs can't see them at all!

Is there any way to get netatalk to provide a truncated version of the
filename to the clients, or do we just have to make sure the filenames
aren't too long?

Cheers,

Tim.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 00:33:41 -0400

I think you have to keep the names short.  If you want you can write a 
short shell script with sed to  truncate all of the filenames and still 
leave the .xxx at the end.

Morgan

---

From: Wagner One <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 14:14:48 -0500

I am running two netatalk servers via linux boxen. one is a very old version
of netatalk on a old rh linux distribution. One is the latest sourceforge
version (not the CVS) version of netatalk running on a very recent rh7.1
distribution.

In the same zone we are running a native, Appleshare IP server (6.3 i
believe) on Apple hardware.

Recent Servers items from the ASIP/Apple server on the clients are rock
solid, always function as expected. Recent Servers items resulting from
mounting volumes on the netatalk servers always fail stating that the shared
volume cannot be found on the network.

I don't recall this as problem on the current old server or previous setups
on other machines that no longer exist. However, with the latest netatalk
src on this rh7.1 machine, the situation has cropped up.

I had empty afpd.conf to begin with and tried adding some items to the
default server directives in order to troubleshoot with no luck. I killed
atalkd and just ran afpd with no luck. I could mount the server volumes via
ip in the Chooser, but the resulting Recent Servers items still do no work.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Searchs of "Recent Servers" through the
archives didn't turn up anything, so it may not be. Hope it is something
I've just overlooked.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

-- 
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
"Music self-played is happiness self-made."