Subject: 1.5pre5 and 1.5pre4 broken..

From: "Nikolas Hagelstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:22:22 +0100

Hi,

netatalk1.5pre4 and pre5 behave  very strange when trying to create a new
file or overwrite an existing one ...
On the clients side this results in several error messages  claiming about
files in use...

here is the output of an ls -li on .Appledouble ....

    971 -rw-rw-r--    1 baboo    users      121887 Mar  8 11:23 874048
    973 ----------     1 baboo    users         589 Mar  8 14:29 874074
    915 -rw-rw-r--    1 baboo    users       93891 Mar  8 11:05 874075
    347 ----------    1 baboo    users         589 Mar  8 14:28 874083
    863 -rw-rw-r--    1 baboo    users       49408 Mar  8 10:52 874085

874074 and 874083 are the affected files :)....
Downgrading to "1.5pre3 with codepagepatch " and removing the files manually
solves the problem in my case...
I verified the problem in different environments.... RH7.0 and
MDK7.2....e.g.

BTW: strage thing in 1.5pre3 is that sometimes users are able to see the
Network Trash Folder ....

any Ideas,
                                        Niko

---

From: Niall O Broin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 15:45:28 +0000

> Network Trash Folder ....

Funny that he should mention that - I've just noticed that happening
recently on occasion on a 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 box - 8.6 and 9.1 clients.

Regards,

Niall   O Broin

---

From: "Nikolas Hagelstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 18:23:38 +0100

Hi,

> recently on occasion on a 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 box - 8.6 and 9.1 clients.

I wonder how netatalk hides the "Network Trash Folder" this can't IMHO not
be done
via unixside filepermissions...shouldn't netatalk hide it during serving the
directorylisting ?
bye,
            Niko

---

From: Christoph Sold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 20:34:13 +0100

> via unixside filepermissions...shouldn't netatalk hide it during serving the

No, the clients hide the network trash folders if the permissions are
set up the right way. (In fact, the client shows the content of the
network trash folder as content of its own trashcan). Should happen
automatically, anyway.

HTH
-Christoph Sold