Subject: 1.5 release update

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 03:25:22 -0800

I'd like to thank everybody that came to the IRC meeting today. A few showed
great dedication by spending time on Netatalk despite difficult work
situations. In particular I'd like to single out Sebastian for his 8+ hours
of coding, fixing, patient putting up of new tarballs and general tolerance
for the likes of us.

We got much closer to a stable release today! Sebastian fixed a whole slew
of potential difficulties by rewriting the PAM detection code, and a number
of others sleuthed, wrote patches and found fixes. It compiles (and runs
correctly!) easily now on a variety of Linuxes despite whatever
authentication you prefer. FreeBSD is in good shape also, as is Tru64.

There are a few things left to cover, though. A list of outstanding issues
can be had here:

http://me.in-berlin.de/~jroger/netatalk/compile-problems.lst

Most of those issues need to be resolved before a stable release, so
hopefully we can work through them in the next week or so, get another
tarball out, and then do a stable release a few days after that. In order
for that to happen, Sebastian will need help from people with OpenBSD
(Karen), NetBSD (Dallas) and Solaris (Lance, Dallas, Stew, Paul). (And of
course, Mac OS X [Craig] would be nice.)

Alain, can you try Yellowdog?

In other news, Daniel is going to be testing Joe's CNID code for deadlocks
on Monday, so hopefully an even better revision of that will be available in
the stable release as well.

Steve

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 22:27:13 +0100

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 03:25:22AM -0800, Steve Freitas wrote:

> I'd like to thank everybody that came to the IRC meeting today.

I would also like to thank you all. Especially for compiling and trying out
a new RC after another and bearing with the still-not-working maccode
compilation issues.

> course, Mac OS X [Craig] would be nice.)

Yes, I think the most important problems are currently the failing build
on OpenBSD and MacOS X. I already have an idea what's going wrong with
OpenBSD and will test this in text next few day.

I also want to add that a "purified" IRC log is now available at
http://me.in-berlin.de/~jroger/netatalk/party-log.txt. I will evaluate
the log in the coming week and put up a list of all things discussed and
unresolved issues.

 - Sebastian