Subject: netatalk-devel package

From: Lorenzo Perone <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:07:47 +0200

Hi All,

could someone make a point on how crucial it is (or necessary) to use the appropriate netatalk-devel package alongside to netatalk when compiling a new version?  This is something fairly undocumented...
BTW, I'm having difficulties to install the 1.5p6 devel-rpm on some older boxes which have an older rpm version.  Could this be provided as tar as well (OK, I can get them out I guess, on a newer distri or w the apropriate rpm package...)?

Thanx,

:-)

Lorenzo

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Apr 2001 16:35:48 -0400

On 23 Apr 2001 22:07:47 +0200, Lorenzo Perone wrote:
> could someone make a point on how crucial it is (or necessary) to use the 
> appropriate netatalk-devel package alongside to netatalk when
> compiling a new version?  This is something fairly undocumented...

    I actually, never even noticed the -devel packages, and don't know
    what they do. I strongly recommend compiling from source - I have to
    stress that. The new autoconf system makes it extremely easy
    (./configure --help for a list of options) and will increase your
    stability, while decreasing the number of "it's because you
    installed from a package" problems. And when you DO have problems,
    it's much easier to troubleshoot. No offense intended to the
    packagers - They do a good/necessary job.

-- 

Matthew Keller
Enterprise System Analyst
Computing & Technology Services
Information Services Division
State University of NY at Potsdam
Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 16:54:08 -0400

>     packagers - They do a good/necessary job.

Thanks. The devel package is for people who are creating libatalk-based
applications. It's pretty useless for everyone else, though.

jeff

---

From: Lorenzo Perone <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 20:04:32 +0200

>applications. It's pretty useless for everyone else, though.

Thanx, that's all I wanted to know  - I'm actually always starting from source... but didn't know if and what to do with the devel-stuff....

:-)

Lorenzo