Subject: Re: Continuing problems with netatalk / server disappearing from chooser

From: Bas van der Linden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 01:46:56 +0200

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 10:29:12AM -0700, Paul Krohn wrote:
> 
> On Tuesday, June 26, 2001, at 02:20 AM, Bas van der Linden wrote:
> 
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm having some quite irritating problems here:
> >
> > The server seems to disappear and reappear ramdomly from the chooser.

<snip>

> > And atalkd.conf only shows 'eth0'.
> It seems there is nothing wrong with your afpd.conf setup. Are you seeing 
> the correct shares/directories once connected?

Everything does work, it's just that the server seems to be disappearing
from the chooser. All shares work exactly as expected. 

> atalkd.conf should be populated by zone information and so on. Is there an 
> AppleTalk router on your network? what are the zone names and cable ranges?

This is what nbplookup tells me (wich obviously works) :

                     SYS Server:AFPServer                          65280.112:129
                     fileserver:AFPServer                          65280.112:128
                     fileserver:netatalk                           65280.112:4
                     fileserver:Workstation                        65280.112:4
                       INTRANET:AFPServer                          65365.74:128
              El90xnd1@INTRANET:Microsoft¨ Windows NTª Prt 4.00    65391.251:2
               Fiery_5750_Print:EFI-NamedAppQueues                 65280.220:129
                Fiery_5750_Hold:EFI-NamedAppQueues                 65280.220:130
                     Fiery_5750:EFI-AppQueue                       65280.220:129
              Fiery_5750_Direct:EFI-NamedAppQueues                 65280.220:128
                Fiery_5750_Hold:LaserWriter                        65280.220:130
               Fiery_5750_Print:LaserWriter                        65280.220:129
              Fiery_5750_Direct:LaserWriter                        65280.220:128
Marco Klein & PartnersÕs Comput:AFPServer                          65287.47:247
320EE7BA04D14CAF30433B09CEE8C5CC:NSCP                               65287.47:248
Marco Klein & PartnersÕs Comput:ADServer                           65287.47:251
Marco Klein & PartnersÕs Comput:  Power Macintosh                  65287.47:252
Marco Klein & PartnersÕs Comput:Workstation                        65287.47:4
             9500 (Ex-Emmelien):PPCToolBox                         65297.72:251
             9500 (Ex-Emmelien):  Power Macintosh                  65297.72:252
             9500 (Ex-Emmelien):Workstation                        65297.72:4
                          dtp 4:PipeAqua                           65413.175:249
                      Notify|af:PipeNotify                         65413.175:239
                8600Õs Computer:ARA - Personal Server              65413.175:2
                8600Õs Computer:Multi-User Client                  65413.175:48
                8600Õs Computer:  Power Macintosh                  65413.175:252
                8600Õs Computer:Workstation                        65413.175:4
               LaserWriter 8500:LaserWriter                        20.130:129
          LaserWriter 16/600 PS:LaserWriter                        1.129:129

>   Are there multiple zones on one wire? That would certainly explain the 
> intermittent problems you are experiencing, if you haven't specified a 
> default zone. does nbplkup work?

I haven't defined a zone, what I understood is that appletalk adresses > 65000
or so are zoneless networks. But I'm getting the feeling I'm very wrong here.

> Also, what network card are you using? AppleTalk makes extensive use of 
> multicasts, and some cards/drivers don't handle this well and require 
> kernel options to work correctly with AppleTalk. I seem to remember the 
> Intel EtherExpress being particularly problematic.

Urg. A Dell PowerEdge 2450 with of course the EtherExpress 10/100. 

What would I be doing with such a card (except maybe throwing in a 3Com or so)?

Oh: One last thing, it was indeed 'noddp' instead of 'noudp', I mistyped this 
as I was using two tera term sessions from a windows box at teh time of 
writing, and retyping seemed a little faster than figuring out how to 
copy and paste it :)

Thanks so far and looking forward to you replies!

Bas van der Linden

Oh and Paul: Sorry for my not paying attention with replying :)

-- 
B.J.J. van der Linden           	-=- 
Brouwersgracht 132               Amaze Internet Services
1013 HA Amsterdam                	-=-
Tel:	+31-20-4688336		   Linux/Web/Zope/SQL
Fax:	+31-20-4688337		   Network Solutions
Web:	http://www.amaze.nl	     Consultancy
Email:	[email-masked]			-=-