Subject: Error type -50

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:49:24 -0600 (CST)

Hello,

Having an odd problem with a Netatalk installation. We have been using
it successfully for year now, but recently have been having difficulty.

What happens is that Macs get an error type -50 when copying application
files to a certain volume. Its just application files. Not documents.
Whats odd is that the files can be copied to a subshare but not the 
main share. We have shares something like this:

/share			"Atalk Server"
/share/inventory	"Inventory"

You can can copy the application files to "Inventory" just fine, but
not "Atalk Server"/inventory. Or any other subdirectory of "Atalk
Server" for that matter. This happens with all Mac OS clients besides
OS X. 

Netatalk is at version 1.4b2+asun-2.1.3 running on Debian Linux 2.2.

Any ideas?

-matthew

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 21:13:00 +0100

am 18.01.2002 20:49 Uhr schrieb [email-masked]:

> files to a certain volume. Its just application files.
> [...]
> Any ideas?

This is an easy one :-)

Netatalk want's to copy the icons from the application's bundle resource
into the .AppleDesktop database in the volume's root, to be able to display
application-specific icons for files with the same creator code as this
application. Check the access rights on this and all subsequent directories
and change to something like 2777.

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:23:57 -0600 (CST)

That did it. Thanks.

Any idea how the permissions would have changed all of sudden?