Subject: Mac List view updating continuously - Fix?

From: Christoph Sold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 20:21:23 +0100

Dear List,

netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 running on a FreeBSD server configured with 50
connections. (Exact configuration follows below.)

When viewing the apple volumes in list view, the Finder continuously
updates the list view. I.e. the info bar at the top of the window shows
anything between 650 and 670 objects in the list view, starting with the
lowest number, then growing until the maximum is reached, where it drops
again to the lowest number.

The server shows this behavior even when the network is completely idle
(only one Mac client).

Any hints?

-Christoph Sold

[Configuration data follows]

$ uname -a
FreeBSD amnesix.i-clue.de 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #4: Tue Feb 13
18:11:45
CET 2001     [email-masked]:/usr/src/sys/compile/AMNESIX-4.2-S 
i386
$ cat atalkd.conf
fxp0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.119
$ cat afpd.conf
- -nocleartext -nosavepassword -nouservol -nodebug
$ cat AppleVolumes.default
~ options=noadouble
/usr/local/www Spielwiese options=noadouble access=@lusers
/usr/tmp tmp options=noadouble access=@lusers
/f/programme Programme options=noadouble access=@lusers
/f/projekte Projekte options=noadouble access=@lusers
$ pkg_info -aI|grep netatalk
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3

---

From: Walt Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:46:32 -0800

yes, totally.

i had that problem with the noadouble feature enabled on my shares. 
that was running 1.5pre3 on a redhat 7.0 box.  since dropping the 
noadouble (ie-allowing .appledouble files) the problem has 
disappeared.  i've had no other problems since.

w

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:58:56 -0800 (PST)

I haven't seen this with netatalk, but I've seen this on PC-formatted
disks.  The solution was to delete the resource.frk directory and let it
treat all files as unknown, then rewrite the data.  If you have
.AppleDouble enabled, I hate to say it but the best solution might be to
delete all files in the .AppleDouble subdirectory of the directory you're
having trouble with.

For more information about this problem, search the web for "dancing
icons" (including the archives for this list).  

> $ pkg_info -aI|grep netatalk

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/

---

From: Steven Karel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:43:53 -0500

> The server shows this behavior even when the network is completely idle

One possible hint:

I've seen this happen when the server directory contains two separate
files which have identical file names on the Mac, which treats names in
a case-insensitive manner. Example, the directory contains

	myfile.exe
and 	myfile.EXE

this can happen pretty easily if you have people saving from multiple
platforms or locations.

---

From: Walt Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 17:16:01 -0800

> this can happen pretty easily if you have people saving from multiple

you are correct that this could be a problem, but his AppleVolumes.default
would have to specify some type of casefold option:

casefold:tolower

so that the mac would see it that way, wouldn't it?  otherwise i think
netatalk does a litteral
translation of the cases.

but i didn't see that option in his config.

walt reed
systems admin
terrascope

---

From: Christoph Sold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 10:20:19 +0100

> but i didn't see that option in his config.

Walt is right in all points. Thanks.
-Christoph Sold