Subject: can't make file

From: Aedan McGhie/Scotland <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:47:23 +0000

Subject:

  When running make I get an error to say that one of the files can't be found.I
  have searched for it and sure enough, it's not there.

  Environment:

  Redhat 7, Gnome.

  Description:

  This is the output from the terminal

  In file included from asp_getreq.c:27:
  ../../include/netatalk/endian.h:32:21: bytesex.h: No such file or directory
  make[2]: *** [asp_getreq.o] Error 1
  make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/unpacked/netatalk-1.3.3/libatalk/asp'
  make[1]: *** [asp] Error 2
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/unpacked/netatalk-1.3.3/libatalk'
  make: *** [../../libatalk] Error 2

  It looks like it can't find bytesex.h (and I'll get laughed at in the pub
  tonight if I tell anyone I have been looking for bytesex).

  Repeat-By:

  Happens every time I try to make the file.

  aeda
-- 

Mac OS X vs. Windows XP : Typical Microsoft -- Take something from 
another company then P on it.

http://www.surak.freeserve.co.uk
http://homepage.mac.com/aedan/

---

From: Rob Lineweaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:33:44 -0500 (EST)

>   make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/unpacked/netatalk-1.3.3/libatalk/asp'
						        ^^^^^
1.3.3 is ancient!  Get some newer sources.  As suggested yesterday, try:
http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/   for 1.5preX, and 
http://www.anders.com/projects/netatalk/download.html  for version 1.4

>   tonight if I tell anyone I have been looking for bytesex).

'locate bytesex' turned up nothing on any of my linux machines... perhaps
from an old glibc or something?...

More recent versions of netatalk will compile cleanly on RH 7.

good luck,

Rob Lineweaver
:)

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:52:06 -0600 (CST)

I've been using a rather odd "pre2" version from
ftp://mirror.sit.wisc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/redhat/beta/wolverine/en/powertools/i386/RedHat/RPMS/netatalk-1.5pre2-4.i386.rpm

I say odd because the SourceForge group never released a pre2 that I'm
aware of.

-Dan

-- 

Daniel E. Lautenschleger
University of Wisconsin
R.M. Bock Laboratories
Network Administrator and Computer Support
[email-masked]

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:52:05 -0500

> I say odd because the SourceForge group never released a pre2 that I'm

It was called 1.4.99-0.somethingorother instead of pre2, which was meant
to make package systems recognize 1.5pre? to be *older* than 1.5, which
they have been known not to do. After that, common sense prevailed, and
the packages were moved to the 1.5pre? format.

Grab the 1.5pre5 RPM if you get the chance; it has many fixes over
1.5pre2. There are some annoying bugs that are fixed in the current CVS,
which are slated for 1.5pre6.

jeff

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:18:52 -0600 (CST)

Thanks for the info, Jeff.

One thing worth mentioning is that for (at least) Red Hat 7 folks, the
Pre5 simply does not work properly. I have a hunch that grabbing the
current CVS or waiting for Pre6 is the way to go.

Thoughts on when pre 6 will be released?

Thanks again.

BTW, I loved the e-mail I saw earlier today indicating a possible
cooperative effort with the Samba folks. I'm all for a 1.5 freeze/fork to
GPL.

-- 

Daniel E. Lautenschleger
University of Wisconsin
R.M. Bock Laboratories