Subject: Slow atalk file transfers

From: Dale Mirenda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 16:52:12 -0700

I have a Samba file server and a Netatalk file server running on the same
computer. Using SUSE 7.2 and the Netatalk version that comes installed with
that distribution (I'm embarrassed to say that I'm so new to Linux I can't
find the version number for Netatalk). File transfers from the Windows and
NT clients to the Samba server are incredibly fast: they make my NT file
server seem like a dog. File transfers through Netatalk are so slow they are
impractical for my Mac clients to use, sometimes taking several minutes for
the same file or folder that Samba accepts in seconds. Where do I start
troubleshooting this problem?

Dale Mirenda
IT Manager
Shapiro and Associates, Inc.
101 Yesler Way, Seattle, WA 98104-3425
(206) 624-9190, Fax (206) 624-1901
[email-masked]

---

From: Harald Wagener <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 08:35:59 +0200

> (206) 624-9190, Fax (206) 624-1901

Funnily, I have the exact reverse problem. Netatalk works like a charm ( 2 Gigs
in about 4 and a half minutes (the gigabit interface on the server helps alot),
but performancs using samba is nor satisfying...Maybe I should switch to 2.2.x to
see if things improve...

Now, the obvious questions: What versions of smb/netatalk/kernel are You using? 
What are the compile options for Your netatalk version/samba version? 
How is Your netatalk configured (excerpts from the config files are welcome)?

H.

-- 
Harald Wagener      |                                Systemadministrator 
FCB/Wilkens GmbH    |                              Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252 
An der Alster 42    |                              Fax.:+49-40-2881-1263 
20099 Hamburg       |                         http://www.fcb-wilkens.com