Subject: Re: Large Volumes

From: "All-Ireland Racing/Guinness Cycling Team" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:15:17 -0500

Large volumes seem to work just fine (just use the latest version) I've got
a 30G volume available and the Macs see it just fine.
350,000 is a lot of files, but as someone else said, you'll be fine as long
as there's some sort of directory structure. I don't think you want to put
more than about 10,000 files in a directory (as an absolute max), no matter
what OS you're talking about.
I don't see why it couldn't handle 300 connections, but I would have plenty
of RAM in the machine. The server I'm looking at right now has 10 active
Netatalk connections, 1 active Microsoft connection and 2 active NFS
connections. It's using about 10M of RAM to maintain this. I would figure
256M RAM absolute minimum to handle 300 connections. Of course, the more RAM
you have the more file caching the system can do and performance will
improve. The system is an Athlon 1100, running FreeBSD 4.2 and the file
performance is excellent. There're about 10,000 files on the shared volume
comprising 4.5G. The drives, by the way, are SCSI-160m/s IBM HDDS - very
fast!

-Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Edward Plese <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, January 25, 2001 3:14 PM
Subject: Large Volumes

>How well does netatalk handle large volumes, many
>files, and many clients?  Would netatalk have any
>problems with 40GB of data in 350,000 files on a
>single volume with simultaneous connectinos from 300
>client Macintosh computers?  I am new to netatalk and
>have only done testing on a small scale, so any info
>would be greatly appreciated.