Subject: DID & trashed files

From: Nigel Pegram <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:09:11 +1000

Hi,

I am running Netatalk 1.4.99-0.20000927 on an intel 486 box (Debian Linux,
kernel version 2.2.1) with two Macs connected (running system 8.1. and 8.6).
Mostly this has been quite reliable, but today we found that a file copy
caused the Finder to freeze and the files in the netatalk shared folder to
be trashed (almost all were deleted).

When looking in the syslog I found two error messages which may be relevant.
Repeated many times was: afpd: Warning DID conflict ... are these the same
file. Also in the logs there was an afpd error: afpd-enumerate: stat ... No
such file or directory.

Occasionally I have had problems with the G4 (system 8.6) with unexpected
disconnection from the Appleshare volume. Since the 8.1 machine was
continuing fine on the same volume, I assume it was a problem with the G4.
Now I'm not so sure.

I noted the discussion regarding DID conflict at the end of last year in the
mailing list archive and wondered if there are any solutions/workarounds.

TIA
Nigel.