Subject: Unix (Netatalk) Client of Conventional MacOS Server?

From: Allan Hunter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 14:10:05 -0400

Hello, list!  Complete Unix newbie here, courtesy of MacOS X (I'm 
afraid you'll be getting more and more of this...)

Suppose I wish to access the shares that are set up on Macintosh 
computers here in our organization, and I am running a BSD Unix 
variant (MacOS X in this case).  Those Macintoshes (hundreds of them, 
in dozens of hallways throughout many buildings in many states -- in 
other words, changing how THEY are set up isn't a viable answer here) 
are not running AppleShare of the IP variety but just plain old 
garden variety AppleTalk-based file sharing over Ethernet.

Will Netatalk enable me to be a CLIENT of those shares?  Or is 
Netatalk only useful for turning Unix boxes into AppleShare SERVERS?

If Netatalk won't allow me to be a client, what will?  (There HAS to 
be something!  I refuse to believe there doesn't exist a way for a 
Unix box to function as an individual workstation in an AppleTalk 
networked environment!)

Relevant additional information:  MacOS X in its out-of-the-box form 
is not able to browse AppleShare resources except for those that sit 
piggyback on top of TCP/IP.  Plain old garden variety AppleTalk file 
sharing isn't affiliated with TCP/IP.

-- 
Allan Hunter

<[email-masked]>
<http://home.earthlink.net/~ahunter>

---

From: Chad Cunningham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 14:48:31 -0400 (EDT)

Netatalk is a server, it allows other machines to mount volumes from a
unix machine using classic appletalk or appletalk over IP.

As far as I know, there is nothing that will allow any variety of unix to
mount an appleshare volume that is served up by another machine. There is
a linux kernel module that existed at one time, but it didn't work all
that well and hasn't been touched in a few years.

-- 

Chad Cunningham
[email-masked]

"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two-headed beast. One
head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the
other head of science is bad! Oh beware the other head of science, Arthur, it
bites!"

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 May 2001 16:23:58 -0400

> Netatalk only useful for turning Unix boxes into AppleShare SERVERS?

    No. Yes (and more).

> Unix box to function as an individual workstation in an AppleTalk 

    Sorry, nothing worth a dung (AFAIK). afpfs exists, but, AFAIK, it is
    not being maintained.

> sharing isn't affiliated with TCP/IP.

    Correct.

-- 

Matthew Keller
Enterprise System Analyst
Computing & Technology Services
Information Services Division
State University of NY at Potsdam
Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/

---

From: Les Gondor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 20:32:59 GMT

There did exist a user-level nfs daemon called afpmount, but it was built 
around CAP. The rather old source still exists at 
http://www.funet.fi/pub/mac/cap/afpmount/afpmount-1.8.tar 

Regards,
Les Gondor

On 16/05/01, 02:48:31 PM, Chad Cunningham <[email-masked]>