Subject: Urgent: Server unaccessible - Login freezes (after PW-Failure)

From: Jan Teuteberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 11:57:06 +0100 (MET)

hello netatalk admins!

my server crashed today after a short power failure. after reboot the server
looks fine - 
it comes up without any failure msg's ...

now if users want to connect on the netatalk server, their mac's stalled
after
entering userame and password.

first thought: the separate disk (/dev/sdb), where all of the volumes
defined in 'AppleVolumes.default'
are stored, is kind of messed up. but reiserfsck did not found any errors on
this drive.

second thought: netatalk configuration / files are messed up. but i did not
find any errors.
i'am using netatalk 1.5pre7 preconfigured and installed with SuSE 7.3. so we
decided to reinstall
the package netatalk and start from the beginning ... but it's still the
same. clients are stalled 
after entering username / pwd until you stop the service atalkd ...

third thought: the whole system is damaged some kind. there were still no
abnormal messages logged.
we did not found any information about this sympthom here or elsewhere so we
decided to reinstall the 
whole machine (after a backup of all relevant data of course). unfortunately
there were no success :/
after restoring data no one could access his file ...

after that i discovered the cause for those stalled logins (i suppose): all
files in those volumes 
are owned from user 'satz' of group 'satz'. every client has his own account
for logins - but all are from
group 'satz' . e.g. after user 'jens' logs in the ownership of every file is
changed to user 'jens' of group
'satz' (!!!) im not really very expierienced on linux systems, but that a
simple login can change ownership
of files is absolutely new to me ... and shure, changig ownership of 35.000
files should cause stalls and 
timout problems while logging in ...

the question is why our rig behaves like it does! we worked on this
installation about 2.5 month without
any problems and we're quite satisfied. 

how about those hidden files in every directory (.Appledouble ...)? Are
these files responsible for our
messy system? 

i hope some of you 'prooven' netatalk admins can help us out of this mess. 
please watch the end of this mail for config details ...

many, many thanks for help!

jan

config (SuSE 7.3, PIII@1Ghz, SCSI without RAID, netatalk-1.5pre7)

AppleVolumes.Default:
/home/satz/satzverwaltung  "Satzverwaltung"
mswindows,codepage:maccode.iso8859-1
/home/satz/backup_macclients  "BackupMacs"
mswindows,codepage:maccode.iso8859-1
/home/satz/fuer_alle_macs  "SetupDir" mswindows,codepage:maccode.iso8859-1
/home/satz/segment  "Segment" mswindows,codepage:maccode.iso8859-1
/home/satz/vorlagen  "Vorlagen" mswindows,codepage:maccode.iso8859-1

afpd.conf
"Applevault" -transall -guestname "satz" -icon

atalkd.conf and papd.conf are empty

netatalk.conf:
# Appletalk configuration
# Change this to increase the maximum number of clients that can connect:
AFPD_MAX_CLIENTS=300

# Change this to set the machine's atalk name and zone.
# NOTE: if you're zone has spaces in it, you're better off specifying
#       it in afpd.conf
#ATALK_ZONE=@zone
ATALK_NAME=`echo ${HOSTNAME}|cut -d. -f1`

# specify this if you don't want guest, clrtxt, and dhx
# available options: uams_guest.so, uams_clrtxt.so, uams_dhx.so, 
# 		     uams_randnum.so
#AFPD_UAMLIST="-U uams_clrtxt.so,uams_randnum.so"

# Change this to set the id of the guest user
AFPD_GUEST=satz

# Set which daemons to run (papd is dependent upon atalkd):
ATALKD_RUN=yes
PAPD_RUN=yes
AFPD_RUN=yes
TIMELORD_RUN=yes

# Control whether the daemons are started in the background
ATALK_BGROUND=no

-- 
GMX - Die Kommunikationsplattform im Internet.
http://www.gmx.net