Subject: apache

From: Ken Gillett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:27:43 +0000

A mixed apache/netatalk question.

I am sharing a directory via Netatalk that is the document root for a 
(virtual host) web server and with the option to browse directories 
turned on I can browse the same structure via a web browser as I can 
by using AppleShare. But, I want to see the same thing in the browser 
as I can in the Finder, i.e. the same icons and the file comments 
used as the web description.

I am using mod_autoindex to provide 'fancy indexing' but that's not 
sufficient. I can see no way to display individual icons for each 
file/folder (as stored for display in the Finder) or to attach a 
unique description for each file/folder, ideally the Finder comments. 
mod_autoindex seems to rely on filetype to assign the icon and/or 
description.

Does anyone know of an apache module specifically to display Netatalk 
shared directories using Finder icons and comments (as description) 
as is?

Is there a module that can assign icons and descriptions from 
specified files inside that folder (so it doesn't actually have to 
get at the Mac versions)?

What does Netatalk do if the Icon? file of a Finder icon (the empty 
data part, not the resource in .AppleDouble) actually contains data, 
e.g. a gif version of the icon? Am I correct to assume it will be 
ignored?

This is only appropriate for Netatalk shares since you need the Mac 
client to set up the appropriate fancy stuff, but it would be neat to 
be able to do it. I am not a C programmer so developing my own module 
is beyond me.

Any ideas?
-- 

Ken  G i l l e t t

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/