Subject: zone router

From: Chad Cunningham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:26:13 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I am trying to replace a Solaris box running CAP with a linux box running
netatalk. I can't seem to get zones to work properly under the new
netatalk setup. My atalkd.conf looks like

eth0 -router -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 257.249 -zone "Staff" -zone "RTL" -zone "Faculty" -zone "EMPT" -zone "Public"

It seems happy with this, the atalkd.conf doesn't get overwritten when I
start up and I can use getzones and they all show up. However, none of the
macs recognize any zones. Any idea why this might be?

 --

Chad Cunningham
[email-masked]

"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two-headed beast. One
head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the
other head of science is bad! Oh beware the other head of science, Arthur, it
bites!"

---

From: alan premselaar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:12:33 -0800

Chad,

  Once you make a change to your appletalk network like that, you'll need to 
either a) reboot your macs, or b) open up the appletalk control panel on 
each of them... at which point it should tell you that your appletalk 
network setting is no longer valid and re-probe the ethernet device for 
zones, etc.  In some cases, i've had to switch the appletalk from the 
ethernet device to the printerport (or something else) and back before it 
would recognize the new zones.

alan

At 11:26午前 -0500 3.22.01, Chad Cunningham wrote:
>eth0 -router -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 257.249 -zone "Staff" -zone "RTL" 
>-zone "Faculty" -zone "EMPT" -zone "Public"
>

----
  there's nothing like the undying sense of reliability provided by modern 
technology.
----
alan premselaar
[email-masked]
www.12inch.com

---

From: Chad Cunningham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:12:36 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I had rebooted them, didn't do anything. I tried opening the appletalk
control panel and switching the appletalk connection off of ethernet and
then back. This gave me all the zones, but for some reason every computer
was in every zone... Also, after about 2 minutes, the mac would lose all
it's zones and say that the appletalk network has become unavailable...

-- 

Chad Cunningham

---

From: alan premselaar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:24:22 -0800

do you have any other appletalk routers on your network?

when the macs see the zones in the chooser (after clicking on appleshare), 
what zone(s) does the linux server show up in?

more than likely you've got another appletalk router somewhere on your 
network and it has conflicting zone information.

alan

----

---

From: Chad Cunningham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:00:10 -0500 (EST)

As far as I know, there are no other appletalk routers. Is there any way
to scan for it? But when I shut down the netatalk or CAP server, the macs
say appletalk is gone and register no zones, so I would think that would
mean that there isn't another router running, right?

This is very strange...

-- 

Chad Cunningham

---

From: Walt Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:20:08 -0800

hey chad,

i may be way off base here, but don't appletalk routers need to have 
a separate interface for each zone?  i used one back in the day that 
routed between 2 floors (i believe it was a farallon pathfinder) and 
you basically hooked one end to each network, or zone.  all the 
machines on each network had to physically reside in the same area. 
does you old sun box have more than one ethernet card?  i noticed 
your linux box does not.  if the sun has more than one ethernet card, 
(or maybe not, since i don't know the capabilities of CAP) you should 
look into getting some more for the linux box.  besides, you'll get 
better throughput.

w