Subject: Passwords and Network Trash

From: Kris Finkenbinder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:38:14 -0800

I have two questions. First, the info:

Server is running FreeBSD 4.3, Netatalk 1.5pre6 (package downloaded from 
FreeBSD ports page)

Clients are iMacs (blue) running MacOS 8.6 with AppleShare Client updated to 
3.8.8. 

Users all have their own account on the server (i.e. they don't log in as the 
same user)

In afpd.conf I have listed uams_dhx.so and uams_dhx_passwd.so, nosavepassword 
and the setpassword option. Logging in has worked fine even before updating 
the AppleShare Clients, but the clients cannot change their passwords. I've 
seen mention that using DHX authentication passwords longer than 8 characters 
are supported (just tried it, it works), and a note saying that updating the 
AppleShare Client to 3.8.8 will allow the client to update the password via 
DHX. After updating, still no go. I had thought that perhaps the user needed 
to have a valid shell assigned (rather that /sbin/nologin), but changing it 
to /bin/sh didn't help. 

So, question one: What am I missing? Is there some other extension I need to 
be updating on the iMacs, or something I need to change in the config files 
on the server? Is there some preference file on the iMacs that needs to be 
trashed so it can properly use the new update? 

Question two is about the Network Trash Folder. Apparently I skirted this 
issue the first time I set up a Netatalk server because I had everyone log in 
as the same user (3 person office) to avoid permissions issues. Thus the 
trash worked for everyone. Now, we're doing things "properly" and everyone 
has their own account. Thus, as it says on the new Netatalk FAQ site, the 
Network Trash Folder works (and is properly invisible) for the first person 
who uses it. All subsequent users can see the Network Trash (when it should 
be invisible) and cannot use it. I've tried all variations of permissions 
including setting the sticky, suid and sgid bits on the Network Trash Folder. 
Nothing seemed to help. 

So, question two: Does anyone know of a fix for this yet? The faredge 
Netatalk FAQ site seems to be down at the moment, so I can't check for 
updates there, and I've seen no solutions either here or on the SourceForge 
Netatalk forums. Does anyone know if there has been some change? 

Thanks all, and have a great day. 

--Kris Finkenbinder
redbear at redbearnet dot com