Subject: Help setting up linux print server for macs

From: Simon Dorfman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 02:17:27 -0600

Hello,
I am trying to set up my linux box as a print server for the two macs on my
LAN.  My linux box has an Okidata OL600e connected via parallel port.  My
linux box is already acting as my DSL router and shares the internet
connection to the macs just fine.  I have installed netatalk 1.5 on the
linux box.  Now how do I get a print que running?  How do I get the Okidata
printer icon to appear in the chooser on my macs?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Thank you.
Simon

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:58:51 +0100

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002 02:17:27 -0600, Simon Dorfman wrote:

> Now how do I get a print que running?  How do I get the Okidata
> printer icon to appear in the chooser on my macs?

1) Make sure you can print locally from your linux box to the printer
   <http://www.linuxprinting.org/howto/>

2) Make sure you can send PostScript data locally from your linux box to
   your queue and it will print correctly (this may involve a PostScript RIP
   like ghostscript if your printer doesn't speak PostScript itself)
   <http://www.linuxprinting.org/howto/ghostscript.html#INVOKING-GS>

3) Get a PPD that describes the capabilities of your printer
   (for non PS-Printers that are driven viaq GhostScript you can generate
   PPDs from here: 
    <http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=ljet2p>)

4) Set up a papd.conf entry as described in 'man papd' and the comments in
   the config file itself. If you are using a different printing system than
   LPR you have to supply the whole printing command instead of the queue's
   name (see <http://www.rodsbooks.com/network/network-netatalk.html>)

Some general information (but mostly related to AppleTalk printing) can be
found here: <http://www.giub.unibe.ch/~eugster/appleprint.html>

If you supply more information (distribution, etc.) probably someone can
give you some detailed hints on configuration (eg. using webmin for printer
administration: <http://www.webmin.com/webmin/>)

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Simon Dorfman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 23:38:58 -0600

Thomas, 
Thanks for you help.  I am following your instructions one step at a time.
I have a few more questions?  Also, for your information, I am using Suse
Linux 7.2.

>  <http://www.linuxprinting.org/howto/>

I can print from Konqueror.

>  <http://www.linuxprinting.org/howto/ghostscript.html#INVOKING-GS>

I can't print PostScript, so I installed the Ghostscript Suse rpm.  I still
can't print postscript data.  I am testing it by trying to print a pdf file
with acrobat reader.  It spools the file, but then it disappears from the
printer q without printing.  How do I initiate Ghostscript?  Do I use a
utility like: http://www.apsfilter.org/  ?  Does Suse have a utility like
this already?  I looked in Yast2 and couldn't find anything.

>   <http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=ljet2p>)

I downloaded the PPD file for my printer.  Where should I put this file?
How do I tell linux to use it?

Thank you for your help.
Simon

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:00:01 +0100

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 23:38:58 -0600, Simon Dorfman wrote:

> How do I initiate Ghostscript?

This is discussed in detail on Werner Eugsters ApplePrint site. You need a
simple script or you let apsfilter do the work.

BTW: A good tutorial on ghostscript can be found here:
<http://www.pdflib.com/gsmanual/index.html>

> Do I use a utility like: http://www.apsfilter.org/  ?

If you print on your linux box different fileformats frequently, than this
might be a good idea.

> Does Suse have a utility like this already?  I looked in Yast2 and couldn't
> find anything.

If you create a new spooler (eg. with YaST 1) apsfilter will be invoked by
default, IIRC.

You should give webmin a try, as it reduces the steps for setting up a new
PS capable spooler dramatically...

> [...]

Somewhere

> How do I tell linux to use it?

You reference to it in your papd.conf. Details can be found in the recently
posted URLs.

Regards,

Thomas