Subject: Share point not being seen in Chooser (again!)?

From: Claire van Heyningen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:21:34 +1100

Hi all, 

I posted a message regarding a similar problem a couple of months ago when a
share point which had been successfully shared for a long period of time,
suddenly stopped appearing in the Chooser.  The main points of that e-mail
are shown below (and none of the specs have changed):

"We're running Mandrake Linux 7.2 with netatalk-1.4.99-0.20001108mdk.  We
have a main share point, divided into specific directories for the different
clients and departments within our company.  Everything has been running
smoothly for 6 months or so now, in that all the share points are visible
and accessible to those that they should be, but all of a sudden, one of the
share points can no longer be seen in the Chooser.  It's still there when I
look on the actual server, and the permissions haven't changed ... I have no
idea what's going on?  I've tried creating new share points as tests, and
they can't be seen either?"

This share point miraculously reappeared in the Chooser after a PC had
logged onto it ... any ideas?

What's happened this time is that I¹ve created a share point on our file
server, and it simply can¹t be seen in the Chooser.  I can see it when I SSH
into theserver (it definitely exists) and all it¹s permissions are fine
(they¹re the same as all the other share points which can be seen).  I¹ve
restarted the server (and thus all relevant daemons), and also manually
restarted both atalkd and afpd, to no avail.  If I connect to the server via
TCP/IP, the share point still doesn¹t appear in the Chooser.  However, PCs
can see this share point, and can rwx on it.

It¹s all very strange  if someone could shed some light on it, I would be
very appreciative.

-- 

Claire van Heyningen
Network Services   
Lavender*

http://www.lavender.ad/

Ph:  (02) 8224 3135
Fax:  (02) 9232 4911