Subject: Netatalk 1.5.2 out

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 11:39:09 +0100

Netatalk 1.5.2 is now available at http://www.sf.net/projects/netatalk/
Changes from version 1.5.1 (and 1.5.1.1) include:

* NEW: NetBSD support contributed by David Rankin and NetBSD contributors.
       This includes a new configure option --enable-netbsd.
* NEW: Add the -client_polling afpd.conf flag to allow for clients to poll
       the server every 10 seconds for open window updates.  Currently
       this is the only way to get asynchronous directory updates.
* UPD: Use separate macro for AFS configure check.
* UPD: Some Perl scripts are now (partially) auto-generated. This improves
       out-of-the-box usage of Netatalk.
* UPD: Solaris Kernel Makefile is now auto-generated. This fixes some path
       issues, but isn't perfect, yet. Added some Solaris compatibility
       fixes to the Kernel sources, too.
* UPD: CNID DB code sync'd with the current CVS version.  NOTE: Using this
       code requires you to delete _all_ existing .AppleDB directories in
       order to avoid database corruption!
* FIX: The file AppleVolumes.system contained wrong line breaks so that
       not all file types were properly recognized.
* FIX: AFS compilation would fail due to a misnamed variable.
* FIX: SLP configure check was wrong so SLP did not compile.
* FIX: Fix the way quotas are handled under certain situations.
* FIX: Do not enable debugging code if debugging option is not set.
* FIX: Some problems with wrongly assigned DIDs were fixed.
* FIX: Various bug fixes and code cleanups.

The follow-up release 1.5.3 will be released in about two to three weeks
and will contain mainly bug fixes and code maintainance fixes. If you
find major bugs in 1.5.2 please report them as soon as possible so that
we can get proper fixes written and tested well before the next release.

 - Sebastian

---

From: [email-masked] (Lee Blevins)
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 11:46:42 -0500

> Changes from version 1.5.1 (and 1.5.1.1) include:

Any way you could put this on an ftp site that doesn't require going
through multiple web pages to get the file?

When I go to that url, I see in a list the file and on the right the
word "download."

I click on download and it takes me to another page that says...

"Below is a list of all files of the project. The release you have
chosen is highlighted. Before downloading, you may want to read Release
Notes and ChangeLog (accessible by clicking on release version)."

I don't see ther word "download" but after poking around I find that if
I click on the name I go to yet another page...

Clicking on 1.5 takes me to yet another page...

I seem to caught up in a cycle of pages.

Would it be too much to ask to just have a button that says...

"Download Now" and have the process begin?

I loathe the web.

I'll donate the ftp site if need be.

---

From: Ashok Aiyar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 10:59:45 -0600 (CST)

> I click on the name I go to yet another page...

This doesn't seem to happen to me. If I click on "download" at the URL
given, I get taken to a page where the current release is highlighted in
pink.  Clicking on "netatalk-1.5.2.tar.gz" starts the download.  So that's
two clicks ...

Anyway, here is the download URL:
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/netatalk/netatalk-1.5.2.tar.gz

Ashok
-- 
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor                    email: [email-masked]
Department of Microbiology-Immunology           office: (312) 503-2524
303 E. Chicago Avenue, WARD 4-123                  lab: (312) 503-2542
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611         fax: (312) 503-1339

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 20:21:35 +0100

> through multiple web pages to get the file?

Not FTP, but at least a specific URL:
http://me.in-berlin.de/~jroger/netatalk/netatalk-1.5.2.tar.gz

(All new Netatalk releases can be downloaded from that URL, with the
version number changed, of course.)

Please feel free to upload Netatalk to a FTP site an announce it here.

 - Sebastian

---

From: Ashok Aiyar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 15:02:31 -0600 (CST)

> Please feel free to upload Netatalk to a FTP site an announce it here.

Netatalk releases (tar.gz format only) can be downloaded from:
ftp://ebv.mimnet.northwestern/edu/pub/netatalk

This is not a mirror of the Sourceforge netatalk site -- I've just
been archiving netatalk releases.  If anyone needs to FTP it, my
computer doesn't get a lot of traffic, and therefore transfers
should be relatively fast.

Later,
Ashok

P.S. If anyone so chooses, new releases can be uploaded to:
ftp://ebv.mimnet.northwestern.edu/incoming, and I will move
them over.
-- 
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor                    email: [email-masked]
Department of Microbiology-Immunology           office: (312) 503-2524
303 E. Chicago Avenue, WARD 4-123                  lab: (312) 503-2542
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611         fax: (312) 503-1339

---

From: [email-masked] (Lee Blevins)
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 19:02:43 -0500

> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/netatalk/netatalk-1.5.2.tar.gz

That's all I needed.

Sometimes I wonder why there's graphics on web pages at all.