Subject: Guest Only Server

From: "Keith Baker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:51:27 -0500

A guest only server seemed like a good idea for security.  I have two
servers on one box.  Guest is one of them.  Guest is defined as such:
"Guest" -transall -uamlist uams_guest.so -systemvol
/etc/atalkd/AppleVolumes.guest \

the AppleVolumes.guest file has all of the standard mappings and then at the
bottom has the line
/mnt/world World

The lines describing the AppleVolumes file says that the systemvol one
defines the mappings and the shares available to guest...  so I figured this
should make just the share "World" available to guest.  It did...  however
in the list (greyed out mind you) was another share from
Applevolumes.default.  Why would this exist as I am guest?  I figrued the
fact that it was greyed out was ok...  but not the best of all worlds...  So
I created a new AppleVolumes.default file (as AppleVolumes.empty added it
with -defaultvol option) and removed everything except the "World" share
from the .empty file. Now I get nothing for guest!  Argh!...  It seems from
reading that the only thing I should have to do for a guest volume is add it
to the AppleVolumes.system!  This is really screwy!

Keith

P.S.  Anyone else get an occasional Hickup in their transfers.  about every
meg or so I see a considerable well...  not slowdown...  it really stops...
and then it continues...  ideas?

---

From: Joe McGovern <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 07:41:52 -0600

I am having network "slowdown" problem with two Macintosh G4s (OS 9.0.4) and a FreeBSD (4.1 release) server with Netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3. For the first month or so the transfer speed between the Macs and FreeBSD were good. Now they are horribly slow. About 45min - 1hour to copy a 60M directory either way. However, an older mac (PM7500 OS 8.6) is having no slowdown connecting to the same server.

A new system was installed on one of the G4s and the speed problem seemed to disappear. This is a possible solution but without knowing what the cause of the slowdown was I am afraid that it may arise again.

Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated.
-- 
====================
Joe McGovern
[email-masked]
====================