Subject: problem with printers.

From: Craig Longman <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jul 2001 19:57:23 -0400

hi there,

i'm trying to use netatalk and cups to allow my (old) mac to talk to a
new epson printer i bought.  i have cups working very well from three
different linux boxes, but i cannot seem to get the printer working.  at
first i had thought it was a cups problem, but now i'm pretty sure cups
isn't even getting a chance to reject the job.

here is my papd.conf:

Epson 880 (Linux):epson_880@gamera:\
  :pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -d epson_880:\
  :op=operator:\
  :pd=/etc/cups/ppd/epson_880.ppd:

and i can find that printer when i choose 'LaserWriter 8' in the control
panel.  everything seems to go well, the printer is created on my
desktop and it is available to programs.  however, if i try and print,
after a little while i get an error # -192 pop up on the mac, and the
following shows up in my log:

Jul 12 19:51:38 papd[3590]: child 3611 for "Epson 880 (Linux)" from
65280.173
Jul 12 19:51:38 papd[3590]: child 3611 done

not very helpful.  i cannot seem to find anyway of trying to figure out
what might be going wrong.  how can i increase the logging level, or
does anyone have any ideas about what i can try to do to fix this?  i'm
really anxious to get this mac up and running, and had thougth it would
be much easier than this.  perhaps i just missed a basic step?

sincerely,

-- 

    CraigL->Thx();
    Be Developer ID: 5852
    Check out <http://www.begeek.com/>!

---

From: Carsten Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 13:46:44 +0200

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Craig Longman wrote:

[snip]

>   :pd=/etc/cups/ppd/epson_880.ppd:

[snip]

I'm not familiar with CUPS.
Does it supply a new `lpr' command?
If so, your print command

/usr/bin/lpr -d epson_880

may be OK.

For PLP, LPR, etc. you give the name of printer with the -P option.
Try if

/usr/bin/lpr -P epson_880

works if epson_880 is the name of your print spooler.

Regards

	Carsten