Subject: No file permissions on new .AppleDouble files

From: Zachary Kotlarek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 20:06:43 -0500

'Ello,
    I'm writing in regard to a problem I've had recently with afpd in
1.5pre6 on Linux 2.4.6 (final).

    It serves fine, I can duplicate, delete, and manipulate files on shared
volumes. I can create new folders. However, when I make new files (from an
application or copying to the disk from the Finder) I get various
permissions related errors.

For example, when copying in the Finder:
"The file xxx cannot be copied because it is locked. Stop|Continue"
The file is created on the server, but is empty. The complimentary file is
created in .AppleDouble.
I can manipulate this empty file after it is created however, a permissions
error is returned each time I do. After I dismiss the error the file does
move.

After looking into this for a while, it seems that the file in .AppleDouble
is created with the permissions 000. ls just returns a bunch of dashes for
permissions information. The main file seems to have the proper permissions.
If I chmod the .AppleDouble file to match the main file I can
manipulate/delete it without error.

So my question is: why are the .AppleDouble files being created with no/bad
permissions? How can I fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Zach

-- 

The Empire's Website:
http://TheEmpire.mine.nu/

=================================================
The box said "Requires Windows 2000 or better"...
so I bought a Macintosh.
=================================================

---

From: Zachary Kotlarek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 17:29:32 -0500

I found this in my messages log:

afpd[3352]: setdirowner: chown -1/0 .AppleDouble/.Parent: Operation not
permitted

Which would appear to be related, but since I don't know what it means I
couldn't say for sure.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Zach

-- 

The Empire's Website: