Subject: Howdy.

From: "leandro asnaghi-nicastro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 00:49:19 -0400

Hello, I'm new to netatalk and my apologies if this post is not 
appropriate.  From what I read on the webpage, this should be okay, 
but if it isn't, I'm sorry.

I installed netatalk on my Linux box (Slackware kernel 2.2.16) to 
see if I could setup a fileserver for my Macs (Classic SE and a 
Quadra 605 LC).   The machines run Mac OS 7.5.2. (It should be 
noted that the Classic is currently off due to some maintenance I 
am doing to it).

Now, I set up AppleTalk on the Macs, which, since they are using 
an old version of the OS, do not have AppleShare IP.  This would 
mean they use the Classic method.

Unfortunately, while I believe that I've done everything right on the 
Linux box, I still cannot see the shares on the Linux box (I can't see 
the server period, to be perfectly honest).

With a packet sniffer I can see that the Mac is broadcasting, and 
with a portscanner, I can see that the netatalk is working (the ports 
respond).

I'm sure I've done something incredibly stupid, like configuring the 
dameons wrong, but if someone could kick me in the right direction, 
I'd be very grateful.

Best.
leandro
---
leandro asnaghi-nicastro - editor in chief 
capital of nasty - http://www.capnasty.org 
[email-masked] - icq uin: 889318 
"My other signature is a Mercedes".

---

From: Carsten Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 15:15:47 +0200

> dameons wrong, but if someone could kick me in the right direction, 

What does nbplkup tell?
Can you see other AppleTalk nodes besides your Linux box?

Regards

	Carsten