Subject: very [newbie]

From: marco a <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 16:09:24 -0500

what is the difference between atalkd and afpd

i have problems to register my servers,
here is my network

could you point me ?
how to proceed ?
-------------                          ------------
            |        eth0  (dhcp)     |            |
 internet   |-------------------------|  linuxbox  |
            |                         |    RH70    |
------------                           ------------
                                            | eth1 192.168.0.1
                                            |      255.255.255.0
                                            |
                                          -----
                  mac1 ------------------| HUB |
               192.168.0.5                -----
               255.255.255.0                |
       routeur 192.168.0.1                  |
                  mac2 ----------------------
               192.168.0.10
               255.255.255.0
       routeur 192.168.0.1

---

From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 17:12:17 -0500

From: marco a <[email-masked]>
   Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 16:09:24 -0500

In a nutshell, atalkd uses AppleTalk (via DDP) protocol(s?), while afpd
uses AFPoverTCP (via TCP).

Looks a lot like mine (except my internal network is 192.168.1.X).
Here's what I've done on my RH 6.0 Linux PC to set up netatalk:

/etc/atalk/atalkd.conf:

    # [this should restrict the server to the internal network.  -- rgr,
    # 25-Jan-00.]
    eth1 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.85

/etc/atalk/afpd.conf:

    # [i think this should restrict the server to the internal network.
    # -- rgr, 25-Jan-00.]  [added -noguest & -loginmesg.  -- rgr, 21-Feb-00.]
    - -address 192.168.1.1 -noguest -loginmesg "Welcome to Bob's Linux box!"

But I'm not actually using AppleTalk; the sole Mac on the network is
connected to an AppleTalk printer.

   [Another thing:  There has been some traffic on bugtraq recently
about how packets destined for private addresses, include the loopback
address at 127.0.0.1, may be accepted regardless of what interface they
came from.  This is enabled in most Unix OS installs by default.  So,
for safety's sake, you should be sure to tell your firewall to drop
packets addressed to 192.168.0.X if they come from eth0.]

   If this isn't enough to get you going, you'll need to say more about
your software configuration (OS, version, how you tried to start it, any
log messages . . . )

					-- Bob Rogers

---

From: Carsten Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 01:58:06 +0100

On Tue, 06 Mar 2001, Bob Rogers wrote:
[snip}
> uses AFPoverTCP (via TCP).
[snip]

Hmmm, are you sure?
This would mean I could leave off starting afpd since I just use AppleTalk via DDP (MacOS 7.6.1).
I always thought that atalkd establishes the "basic" protocols ECHO, ZIP, RTMP, NBP (Name-binding
is essential to "see" the server in the Chooser ;-) ).
And afpd implements AFP (DDP _and_ TCP).

Therefore you always need to start both atalkd _and_ afpd if you want to AppleShare via DDP.

Am I wrong?

Regards

	Carsten

BTW: There is no "Re:" in your reply subject.
Makes it hard to follow a thread!

---

From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 21:26:06 -0500

From: Carsten Neumann <[email-masked]>
   Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 01:58:06 +0100

   [snip]

   Hmmm, are you sure?

Not very; I'm certainly no expert.  That's part of why I didn't attempt
to expand beyond the nutshell.

   . . . Therefore you always need to start both atalkd _and_ afpd if
   you want to AppleShare via DDP.

That could be; I've hardly used DDP in this configuration, because of
the aforementioned printer issue.  And I haven't tried my TCP-only
configuration without atalkd, either.

   So, I hope somebody solidly in the know will speak up and set me
right, so I don't go confusing any more newbies.  ;-}

"Re:" is just noise; it doesn't convey anything that message sequence
doesn't tell me.  But I wasn't trying to be obscure; in fact, I'm
surprised that you seem to rely on it so heavily . . .

					-- Bob

---

From: Cliff Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 08:49:34 -0500

> right, so I don't go confusing any more newbies.  ;-}

Carsten is correct.  afpd implements the file server for both appletalk
and tcp, while atalkd implements the AppleTalk networking protocols and
has nothing to do with file serving itself.  So both need to be running
to do AppleShare over appletalk.

-- 
Cliff Crawford

He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition
         burns a picture to obtain the ashes.  - Chinese proverb