Subject: zone setting in netatalk-1.5.2

From: "Sophie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:47:46 +0800

Hi,

I only have one NIC and set the zone info in atalkd.conf as:

eth0 -router -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.81 -zone "myzone"

I can see that zone existed from my iBook, but only for several seconds.
Then the zone disappeared. Why? Can I run a router on a machine with
only one NIC?

Thanks.
Sophie

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:49:10 +0100

> eth0 -router -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.81 -zone "myzone"

You want Netatalk to become a seed router, so should supply the -seed switch
too (in 1.4b2+asun days, '-router' had to come before '-seed' -- maybe with
netatalk 1.5 you can suppress the -seed switch at all)

As you're doing AppleTalk routing, you have to supply correct netranges, eg.

eth0 -router -seed -phase 2 -net 1-200 -addr 200.142 -zone "foo" -zone "bar"

The default zone will be "foo", so all services that register itself in '*'
(like 'my fileserver:AFPServer@*') will appear in zone "foo". To change
this, edit the occurances of the nbprgstr commands in your netatalk start
script (or change $ATALK_ZONE in netatalk.conf if your startup script uses
this config file) or in the appropriate config files like papd.conf or
afpd.conf

You might want to have a look at [$netatalk-sourcedir]/doc/CONFIGURE,
<http://www.transit.hanse.de/netatalk/router.html>,
<http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/1999/2163.html>

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: "Sophie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:00:03 +0800

Thanks. It works.

But "-seed" seems not work because I only have one interface.
In atalkd.conf, it says that -seed only works for multi-interfaces.
I set the netranges to 1-200 and it works.

What is correct netranges? Why 0-65534 doesn't work?

Thanks.
Sophie

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Kaiser" <[email-masked]>
To: "Sophie" <[email-masked]>; "Netatalk-Admins"
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 3:49 PM
Subject: Re: zone setting in netatalk-1.5.2

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:10:25 +0100

> In atalkd.conf, it says that -seed only works for multi-interfaces.

Maybe I confused the issue... :-)

Every time I tried it with one single interface, I configured it this way
and it worked perfectly (expect sometimes when other AppleTalk devices
complained about something wrong with routing)

> I set the netranges to 1-200 and it works.

Fine.

> What is correct netranges? Why 0-65534 doesn't work?

0-65534 is something special as it indicates that there is *no* router
    present and this segment should be auto-discovered.

1-65279 are valid for netranges if you're doing AppleTalk routing. Every
    netrange in every segment has to stay unique and in case more than one
    AppleTalk router is involved, the default zones per segment should be
    identical on each router to avoid confusion.

65280-65534 is the so called startup range and the range, AppleTalk devices
    will register within, if there is no router present.

doc/CONFIGURE links to <http://www.neon.com/atalk_routing.html> where all
this is described in detail.

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 20:42:05 +0100

> Then the zone disappeared. Why? Can I run a router on a machine with

You are jamming all possible nets into a single zone, therefore
nothing is left to be routed ...
What happens if you narrow down the net range,
for example -net 66-67?

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers