Subject: OS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 08:24:32 +0200

What OS/dist is best for netatalk today?
I have 2 major options: debian or freeebsd.

All the best /Mikko

---

From: Lasse Lehtinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 16:51:23 +0300 (EET DST)

I've have come up with a strange problem. Our AD's save their FreeHand
documents straight to a Netatalk-volume and sometimes when they try to
reopen them, it says that the document isn't a FreeHand document. When you
force it to open in FreeHand, it shows the contents of the file in
ASCII. This happens occasionally and only with FreeHand, which is the
strangest thing. Somehow they get corrupted. FreeHand version is 9.0 with
MacOS 9.0.4 and 8.5.1. My Netatalk setup is Netatalk 1.5.6pre, RedHat 7.1
and Kernel 2.4.7. I don't remember the compile options. I'm happy to give
more detailed information if anyone can help.

---

From: Steven Karel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 10:14:19 -0400 (EDT)

I recall seeing messages in the past that Freehand generates files first
as text, then later changes the type.

http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/1998/2328.html

Do you have cr-lf translation turned on for text files? If so, try turning
it off.

 On Sat,
22 Sep 2001, Lasse Lehtinen

-- 
Steven Karel, Ph.D.
Biology Department, Brandeis Univ, MS 008
415 South St Waltham MA 02454-9110
TEL 781 736 3104   FAX 781 736 3107

---

From: Lasse Lehtinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 17:58:21 +0300 (EET DST)

> Do you have cr-lf translation turned on for text files? If so, try turning

I looked at the FAQ and found information about turning the
CR/LF-translation off. I added -nocrlf in the server's configuration line,
is this the correct way? Other option was to remove a line in the 
Makefile. Is there anyway to test this with FreeHand? I would like to
get sure about this.

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 19:53:43 +0100 (BST)

> reopen them, it says that the document isn't a FreeHand document. When you

What version of netatalk?

older versions defaulted to having CR>LF translation on for TEXT
files. Newer ones default to off.

-- 
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Manager, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594
Microsoft - because god hates us

---

From: Lasse Lehtinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 23:01:01 +0300 (EET DST)

> files. Newer ones default to off.

I posted this in the first message, it's 1.5.6pre. I turned it off and
everything seemed ok as far as I could test it. If it's disabled in
1.5.6pre, the CR/LF wasn't even the case here. Do you have solid
information about this?