Subject: file / directory permissions

From: Menno Bockweg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:41:48 -0500

Hey all,

I've set up an netatalk server. The mac-users are organised in various
groups. Each group has it's own netatalk-volume.  Each user is also
member of a "main" group. The main group (all users together) have
access to another netatalk-volume. The permission of the directory of
this "main"-volume should be ok, the groupbits are set to "rws" (chmod
2770..). Everything seems te be okay... The members can create
directories in the directory-root of the volume, move / create files in
their own created directories...  but (!) they cannot create / move
files to the root directory. When they try to do so, they get an error
messages "You don't have the permissions to ... blah blah ...".  What's
happening here ??
They have the right permissions to create directories but not to create
files ?!?!?

Really hope anyone could help me out here,

Thanx!

Menno

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 05:46:02 -0500 (EST)

Menno,

You might not really want them to create files in the / directory.

If you take a look at the unix file system, there are some standard directories 
that will always be there, /etc, /usr, and so on.  You really don't want that 
file system filling up with junk, or allowing a user to overwrite 
your /etc/hosts file.

I would create a directory in / called "/opt".  This is one way of telling 
users that "This is the place for everything else."  If you want to get really 
creative, you could create "/opt/marketing" for marketing people, "/opt/devel" 
for developers and "/opt/general" for communication between the two.

Let me know how it turns out.

Ryan

> Really hope anyone could help me out here,

Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
If you want to achieve excellence, you can get there today. As of
this second, quit doing less-than-excellent work.
-Thomas Watson, founder of IBM

---

From: Menno Bockweg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:01:48 -0500

What I actually meant with the "directory-root of the volume" is the path to the netatalk-volume. This volume is locate at /data/transfer. The permissions of the transfer-directory are set to :

drwxrws--- 16 transfer_user transfer_group 4096 Jan 15 14:50 transfer

Transfer_user is a user of the transfer_group. Every member of the transfer_group should be able to create / move files to this transfer directory... But this is where things go wrong. The users of the transfer_group can create / modify directories in the transfer directory, but they cannot create / move files into the transfer directory...

I'm puzzled.. ;-)

Ryan McBeth wrote:

Menno,

Ryan

Hey all,

Thanx!

Menno

Ryan McBeth

---

From: "Rick Bestany" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:23:31 -0500

I am having the same problem.

If you figure it out, please post it to the list.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Menno Bockweg [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Monday, January 15, 2001 2:02 PM
  To: [email-masked]
  Cc: [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: file / directory permissions

What I actually meant with the "directory-root of the volume" is the path to
the netatalk-volume. This volume is locate at /data/transfer. The
permissions of the transfer-directory are set to : drwxrws---   16
transfer_user transfer_group     4096 Jan 15 14:50 transferTransfer_user is
a user of the transfer_group. Every member of the transfer_group should be
able to create / move files to this transfer directory... But this is where
things go wrong. The users of the transfer_group can create / modify
directories in the transfer directory, but they cannot create / move files
into the transfer directory...I'm puzzled.. ;-)

  Ryan McBeth wrote:

Menno,You might not really want them to create files in the / directory.If
you take a look at the unix file system, there are some standard directories
that will always be there, /etc, /usr, and so on.  You really don't want
that file system filling up with junk, or allowing a user to overwrite your
/etc/hosts file.I would create a directory in / called "/opt".  This is one
way of telling users that "This is the place for everything else."  If you
want to get really creative, you could create "/opt/marketing" for marketing
people, "/opt/devel" for developers and "/opt/general" for communication
between the two.Let me know how it turns out.RyanQuoting Menno Bockweg
<[email-masked]>:
Hey all,I've set up an netatalk server. The mac-users are organised in
variousgroups. Each group has it's own netatalk-volume.  Each user is
alsomember of a "main" group. The main group (all users together) haveaccess
to another netatalk-volume. The permission of the directory ofthis
"main"-volume should be ok, the groupbits are set to "rws" (chmod2770..).
Everything seems te be okay... The members can createdirectories in the
directory-root of the volume, move / create files intheir own created
directories...  but (!) they cannot create / movefiles to the root
directory. When they try to do so, they get an errormessages "You don't have
the permissions to ... blah blah ...".  What'shappening here ??They have the
right permissions to create directories but not to createfiles ?!?!?Really
hope anyone could help me out here,Thanx!Menno
Ryan McBethSystems Administrator, Mobius New MediaVoice: (302) 475-9880
x11FAX: (302) 475-9894www.mobiusnm.comIf you want to achieve excellence, you
can get there today. As ofthis second, quit doing less-than-excellent
work.-Thomas Watson, founder of IBM