Subject: Help PLS, only guest can log in.

From: "Thomas Priore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 18:39:19 -0500

Hi, I install netatalk 1.5pre4 on redhat linux 7.0. (actually I install a
bunch of different versions, from rpm and compiling) The problem seems to be
that only guest can log on. From what I've read this seems to be a shadow
password problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. Can anyone help?

I have a second problem too, which is more of a nuisance, the sever doesn't
show up in the client's chooser, the ip has to be typed in. Is there a fix
for this?

Thanks.

Tom

---

From: Marcel Lammerse <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:53:07 +0100 (CET)

Hello Thomas,

it seems that I have had the exact same (first) problem. I can't explain your 
second problem, but here's something that might help you on your way. By the 
way, I have a Linux redhat 6.0 system and I'm using MacOS 9.0.4.

If you want to do user-authentication, netatalk needs to support a number of 
authentication methods. If you follow the instructions and compile netatalk 
with the pam modules and the des library, you can see in /var/log/messages 
which authentication methods are supported.

If you use the default configuration files for afpd, these methods are: 
cleartext password login, guest login and Diffie-Hellman/CAST-128. None of 
these will work, except for guest login. 

What will work is if you look in /etc/atalk/uams and you find a randnum or 
rand2num file, encrypted random numbers are supported. You will need to 
configure this in afpd.conf. Just add it to uamslist. It should read something 
(I don't have Linux handy) like this:

"My volume" -transall -uamslist uams_randnum.so ...

If you've done that and you fire up netatalkd again (preferrable with the 
supplied script), you should see an additional supported authentication 
mechanism (encrypted random numbers).

Then what you need to do, is use the afppasswd command to create a password 
file and add your user to it. Something like:

afppasswd -c /etc/atalk/afppasswd
afppasswd -a my-user
[type password twice]

Then you should be able to connect to the share via your macintosh.

If anyone knows a better/more efficient way, I'd love to hear it. If you need 
any more help, just shout.

Regards,

Marcel

---

From: "Bas Toorenburg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:12:33 +0100

unsubscribe

---

From: "Thomas Priore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 23:50:41 -0500

Thanks for your help, I didn't get it working, but I'm much closer. I'm
getting a new error from the Mac:
"Unknown user, incorrect password, or log on disabled...."

there was no rand2numb.so, but randnumb.so was there. I think my problem now
lies with the passwd file. I made the changes to afpd as you recommended:
 - -transall -uamlist
uams_randnum.so,uams_guest.so,uams_clrtxt.so,uams_dhx.so -passwdfile
/etc/atalk/afppasswd -setpassword -savepassword

then I created the afppasswd file, and added a user with afppasswd.

Some thing interesting in the messages log, atalk seems to be coming up on
the loop back address 127.0.0.1 and doesn't mention the actual ip of the
server. Here is the messages log:

Mar  7 23:27:46 reznor atalkd[6634]: restart (1.5pre4)
Mar  7 23:27:47 reznor atalkd[6634]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Mar  7 23:28:06 reznor last message repeated 2 times
Mar  7 23:28:16 reznor atalkd[6634]: config for no router
Mar  7 23:28:17 reznor atalkd[6634]: ready 0/0/0
Mar  7 23:28:17 reznor atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
Mar  7 23:28:30 reznor papd[6649]: restart (1.5pre4)
Mar  7 23:28:30 reznor atalk: papd startup succeeded
Mar  7 23:28:30 reznor atalk: timelord startup succeeded
Mar  7 23:28:30 reznor atalk: afpd startup succeeded
Mar  7 23:28:36 reznor timelord[6659]: reznor:TimeLord started
Mar  7 23:28:36 reznor afpd[6669]: reznor:AFPServer@* started on
65280.237:130 (1.5pre4)
Mar  7 23:28:36 reznor afpd[6669]: ASIP started on 127.0.0.1:548(2)
(1.5pre4)
Mar  7 23:28:36 reznor afpd[6669]: uam: uams_randnum.so loaded
Mar  7 23:28:36 reznor afpd[6669]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
Mar  7 23:28:36 reznor afpd[6669]: uam: uams_clrtxt.so loaded
Mar  7 23:28:36 reznor afpd[6669]: uam: uams_dhx.so loaded
Mar  7 23:28:36 reznor afpd[6669]: uam: "DHCAST128" available
Mar  7 23:28:36 reznor afpd[6669]: uam: "Cleartxt Passwrd" available
Mar  7 23:28:36 reznor afpd[6669]: uam: "No User Authent" available
Mar  7 23:28:36 reznor afpd[6669]: uam: "2-Way Randnum exchange" available
Mar  7 23:28:36 reznor afpd[6669]: uam: "Randnum exchange" available
Mar  7 23:29:17 reznor afpd[6676]: ASIP session:548(2) from
192.168.0.2:49301(0)
Mar  7 23:29:17 reznor afpd[6676]: 0.08KB read, 0.07KB written
Mar  7 23:29:17 reznor afpd[6669]: server_child[1] 6676 done
Mar  7 23:29:27 reznor afpd[6677]: ASIP session:548(2) from
192.168.0.2:49302(0)
Mar  7 23:29:27 reznor afpd[6669]: server_child[1] 6677 done
Mar  7 23:29:33 reznor afpd[6678]: ASIP session:548(2) from
192.168.0.2:49303(0)
Mar  7 23:29:33 reznor afpd[6678]: 0.08KB read, 0.07KB written
Mar  7 23:29:33 reznor afpd[6669]: server_child[1] 6678 done

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel Lammerse [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 3:53 AM
To: Thomas Priore; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Help PLS, only guest can log in.

Hello Thomas,

it seems that I have had the exact same (first) problem. I can't explain
your
second problem, but here's something that might help you on your way. By the
way, I have a Linux redhat 6.0 system and I'm using MacOS 9.0.4.

What will work is if you look in /etc/atalk/uams and you find a randnum or
rand2num file, encrypted random numbers are supported. You will need to
configure this in afpd.conf. Just add it to uamslist. It should read
something
(I don't have Linux handy) like this:

If anyone knows a better/more efficient way, I'd love to hear it. If you
need
any more help, just shout.

Regards,

Marcel

---

From: Marcel Lammerse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:31:22 +0100 (CET)

Ok..

Things I can think of:

- netatalk is not compiled with the -DUSE_PAM option and the pam-library
is not linked with the object files 

- the netatalk user in /etc/atalk/afppasswd exists, but pam requires that
the same users also exists as a Unix user. In that case, you might need
to add the user with the useradd command (on redhat at least). 

In my case, I had created a Unix account before I used the afppasswd
command. When I typed affpasswd -c , it extracted accounts from my Unix
password file and set the passwords to '***********'. I had to use the
afppasswd -a command to set the password in /etc/atalk/afppasswd. The
passwords for both accounts were the same in my case.

Incidently, does anyone know who to 'link' these two files? I'm probably
doing something wrong, but now I have to manage two account databases
which is very cumbersome.

You startup log messages look fine. 

When I get back from work I'll send you my configuration files etc.

Regards,

Marcel

--
Marcel Lammerse

			"One more time?"
				-Michael Flatley

---

From: "Thomas Priore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 23:04:51 -0500

Thanks again for the help. i tried to create the afppasswd with -c and it
created the file with the accounts, i thenk set the passwords, but I'm still
recieving the same error. I think i'm going to try to recompile netatalk. do
you know what options i need to include and where to put them?

Thanks,
Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcel Lammerse [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 3:31 AM
To: Thomas Priore
Cc: Appletalk On Linux
Subject: RE: Help PLS, only guest can log in.

Ok..

Things I can think of:

Regards,

Marcel

--
Marcel Lammerse

			"One more time?"
				-Michael Flatley

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Thomas Priore wrote:

> > bunch of different versions, from rpm and compiling) The problem seems
to
> > be