Subject: Mount Macs on Linux

From: Jürgen Weltzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 20:04:56 +0200

Hi,

is there a possibility to mount a Mac-Volume on the linux box?
I'm running a FileMaker-Mac-Server and I want to backup the data with 
the linux box.
-- 
Viele Grüße
Jürgen Weltzer

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Werbeagentur Weltzer
Max-Eyth-Straße 8
71065 Sindelfingen
Tel. +49 (0) 70.31.81.32.31
Fax +49 (0) 70.31.81.16.01
http://www.w-ww.de/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Windows95/98/NT: 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16 bit
patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit
microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of
competition

---

From: Carsten Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:07:01 +0200

> I'm running a FileMaker-Mac-Server and I want to backup the data with 

One might say "yes", there is a project named "afpfs".
But it's highly unstable and not maintained since october 1999.
I've tried it earlier this year with a 2.2.13 kernel with very little success.
It crashed and I uninstalled it.

Best regards

	Carsten

---

From: Chad Cunningham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:48:48 -0400 (EDT)

Your can also try to use NFS. Note I say *try*... There is MacNFS
available at http://prozac.cwru.edu/jude/macnfs/Macnfsd.html however I
don't recall ever having much luck with it, and it has not been maintained
for a while...

-- 

Chad Cunningham
[email-masked]

"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two-headed beast. One
head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the
other head of science is bad! Oh beware the other head of science, Arthur, it
bites!"

---

From: Seanano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:40:39 -0500 (CDT)

What about writing an applescript to mount the netatalk share on the mac
box and then copy the files over?  Then, just include that share in the
stuff you backup. The script wouldn't be very complicated, just a simple
connect and copy.  You could use the cron program for MacOS to have it run
whenever it needs to.

Sean

---

From: Danny Sauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:25:58 -0500

Tis is something I've wanted to do for a while, but I've been to lazy to
use the many search engines to find.  Is there a good site out there to
teach Applescript to experienced programmers who don't know much about Mac
internals? :)

--Danny

---

From: Tony Stuckey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:50:39 -0500

> teach Applescript to experienced programmers who don't know much about Mac

	It shouldn't be hard, given that a "Synchronize Folders"
Applescript was distributed on the OS9 CD?

http://www.scriptweb.com/

-- 
Anthony J. Stuckey                              [email-masked]
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."
	-Robyn Hitchcock.

---

From: Seanano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:36:16 -0500 (CDT)

I've found the best reference is the script editor program itself.  You
can record actions and it will output the applescript for what you did
(assuming everything was applescriptable).  You can also open applescript
aware programs and script libraries with the "open dictionary"  command
and it will list with a brief explanation what commands the application or
library supports.

Sean