Subject: appletalk routing with Solaris?

From: David Rouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 16:23:25 -0500

I'm having a bit of trouble getting two zones to route.

I'm using netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on a Sun SPARCserver1000 running Solaris
2.7 (106541-14). Netatalk was complied with the gcc 2.8.1 package from the
www.sunfreeware.com site.

The SS1000 has an le0 and an le1 (combo SCSI and buffered ethernet SBUS
card) . The le0 is configured for TCP/IP and is connected to a 10/100 Hub.
The le1 is not configured for TCP/IP (which shouldn't matter, right?) and is
connected to an AsanteTalk device and from there to a LocalTalk network.
What I want is two zones "Ethernet" and "Localtalk" and allow devices in
each zone to talk to each other. This is essential the same setup that I had
when I was running a commercial AppleTalk for Unix package on an ANS
700/150. The network is at home, there are no other routers.

I'm using the following atalkd.conf lines:

le0 -seed -phase 2 -net 1 -addr 1.187 -zone "Ethernet"
le1 -seed -phase 2 -net 2 -addr 2.143 -zone "Localtalk"

Both zones are created and are visible to Macs in each zone, but they
cannnot see services in other zones with the Chooser/Network Browser (with
the exception of Localtalk Macs being able to see the ss1000). The ss1000
performs as a Mac file server for clients in both zones. nbplkup on the
ss1000 without any options sees the Ethernet zone and can see devices in the
Localtalk zone with the @Localtalk option (normal?).

Things I've tried (although not all against each other):

* Replaced the '-seed' with '-router' on each then both lines.
* Used the example in the default atalkd.conf file.
* Turning on TCP/IP on le1 and TCP/IP routing on the ss1000.
* Hooked an Ethernet Mac to the crossover cable used by the AsanteTalk.

Can anyone point out what I've done wrong, or is that my setup just doesn't
support AppleTalk routing?

-- 
drouse

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 17:29:46 -0500

> From:    David Rouse <[email-masked]>
> To:      Netatalk Mailing List <[email-masked]>

> support AppleTalk routing?

As I released it, the Solaris kernel module won't route.  Someone could
have added it, and in fact it would be fairly easy to add, since it
already implements is a multi-interface routing table.  If someone
decides to work on it, I am available for free advice from the
sidelines :)

:wes