Subject: Configuring on a dual nic freebsd box with natd

From: [email-masked] (Lee Blevins)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 21:34:03 -0500

I'd like some pointers on setting up afpd.conf and atalkd.conf so I can
use them on a freebsd 4.4 box with two 3com nics.

xl0 and xl1.

xl0 is the public nic and xl1 is the 192.168 nic.

With no atalkd.conf I don't see a name in the chooser but I can type in
the ip address and connect.

with xl1 in the chooser I can see the name.

with  just two lines in atalkd.conf:

xl0
xl1

I get errors.

What a good way to set this up so I can get to the sever from either
nic?

Also, how can I send the logging somewhere other than the console?

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:58:05 +0100

> the ip address and connect.

This means, atalkd doesn't start at all, so the only way to connect to your
server will be via AFPoverTCP.

> with xl1 in the chooser I can see the name.

You have configured one NIC for AppleTalk, so on this segment all the
relevant protocols will be ready.

> with  just two lines in atalkd.conf:

Correct. In this situation your netatalk box has to act like an AppleTalk
router. There is a good tutorial on

    <http://www.transit.hanse.de/netatalk/router.html>

But you can give this setup a try, as I would suppose there are no other
AppleTalk routers present in your LAN?

    x10 -phase 2 -seed -net 1-1000 -addr 1000.142 -zone "a"
    x11 -phase 2 -seed -net 1001-2000 -addr 2000.142 -zone "a"

As both segments publish the same zone name, you won't see zones afterwards
in chooser, but your netatalk box will route AppleTalk traffic between both
interfaces and will be available to both segments.

Note: Every single interface must be connected to a unique segment. They
must not be connected to the same switch or hub!

And another additional note: Some people reported, that some versions of
atalkd have a problem with publishing nbp entries (for service location) in
the above setup (zone mapping). If you can't see devices in one segment from
the other, you might want to change your setup to supply 'real' zone names
like eg. '-zone "x10 NIC"' and '-zone "x11 NIC"' or something more senseful.

Regards,

Thomas

BTW: We discussed this here back in november in depth. Mail me directly if I
     should bounce you the thread ("zones in netatalk")