Subject: Aliases (sorry) and passwords

From: Ken Gillett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:19:40 +0000

I have Netatalk 1.4 + ASUN 2.1.3 running afpd only (don't want to run 
Appletalk), but have a few questions I could do with some help on.

That old chestnut "aliases" is puzzling me. I know there's been a lot 
of discussion about aliases to files and or folders, but I'm 
concerned why an alias to the volume (i.e. in Apple Menu -> Recent 
Servers) can never remount the volume. Is this correct? I'm sure 
AppleShareIP does not exhibit this behaviour and Personal file 
sharing doesn't, even over IP. Is this a Netatalk thing and is there 
a later fix - I know some of the other alias problems are getting 
resolved?

To avoid the need for aliases to provide quick remounting, is there a 
way to browse AppleShareIP servers, i.e. NOT AppleTalk, IP only. I 
thought I had read that Apple had introduced a new protocol to do 
exactly that (in conjunction with DNS I seem to remember), but I 
cannot remember what it was called - can Netatalk offer this?

I have included -setpassword in afpd.conf and indeed the button is no 
longer greyed out when connecting via the chooser, but I cannot 
actually change a password. Anything I try fails and tells me to 
contact the network administrator, ha. I did read that this was due 
to using passwords that are too simple, but even really complex ones 
also fail. Is it actually possible to change passwords in this 
manner, in which case how, or is Netatalk incapable of this?

If I was able to change the password, would this update the UNIX 
password as well? If not, is it possible to set it up so that it does?

Would it be a good idea to use one of the later 1.5, 1.5.1 builds - 
am I right that they include the ASUN stuff?

Thanks
-- 

Ken  G i l l e t t

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 00:33:17 +0100

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 21:19:40 +0000, Ken Gillett wrote:

> I'm concerned why an alias to the volume (i.e. in Apple Menu -> Recent
> Servers) can never remount the volume. Is this correct?

No definitely not. What error messages do you get? Which AppleShare client
do you use (3.8 or 3.8.1?) and which MacOS versions? Are your AFP
connections established via AppleTalk or TCP?

> I'm sure AppleShareIP does not exhibit this behaviour and Personal file
> sharing doesn't, even over IP.

There are some well-known problems, one with identical volume creation
times, that prevent mounting a volume and the other with AppleShare client
3.8(.1) falling back to AppleTalk while resolving such a server alias.

> Is this a Netatalk thing and is there a later fix - I know some of the other
> alias problems are getting resolved?

IMHO not finally. The new CNID scheme as well as the 'inode-kludge'/'mtab'/
'did-hash' scheme provide persistant file- and folder-IDs, so Aliases won't
point to nowhere after remounting a volume. But there are still problems
with both schemes.

> cannot remember what it was called - can Netatalk offer this?

I think, you speak about SLP (service location protocol). The recent
netatalk versions can be configured to register themselves with OpenSLP. But
you can also use static SLP entries that can be browsed from within network
browser on MacOS 8.5 (?) and above. Take a look at <http://www.openslp.org>

> [...]

Yeah :-)

> am I right that they include the ASUN stuff?

Sure.

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 01:26:43 +0100

> a later fix - I know some of the other alias problems are getting

Try a short AppleScript, see forwarded message:

------ Forwarded Message
From: pete <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 11:52:37 -0700
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>,
<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Connecting to appleshareIP server  over the internet

Uh....not even that complicated. Sorry to complexify. Do just as Dan said,
but leave the password out if you want more security. The user will be
prompted to enter the password by the Chooser's standard login dialog.

mount volume "afp://[email-masked]/volume.name/"

Sorry Dan - your way is clearly the cleaner one.
------ End Forwarded Message

> cannot remember what it was called - can Netatalk offer this?

SLP (service location protocol) is your friend.
<http://telia.dl.sourceforge.net/openslp/openslp-1.0.6-1.i386.rpm >

I believe you should be able to even propagate Netatalk 1.4 + ASUN 2.1.3
by a static entry. I'm already on Netatalk 1.5.1.1, therefore I can't offer
any more help.

-Thomas

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 01:50:53 +0100

> ------ End Forwarded Message

Of cause, the complete script should be something like:

tell application "Finder"
mount volume "afp://[email-masked]/volume.name/" with authentication
end tell

-Thomas

---

From: Robert Rust <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:01:45 -0600

I should point out that in my experience, the only version of MacOS 9.x that
the 'mount volume' script command works with a netatalk server in is 9.0.4.
Updates past that break the 'Standard Additions' scripting addition such
that you cannot connect to a netatalk server with 'mount volume'.  This can
be fixed by re-installing the 'Standard Additions' from 9.0.4.

Robert

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 08:33:34 +0100

> be fixed by re-installing the 'Standard Additions' from 9.0.4.

Hmm... Just tried it out on a plain 9.1 install: Everything works as
expected (conneting to a 1.5.1.1 netatalk installation). I believe you
disabled the 'Security ...' extensions in your extensions folder?

There are some known issues with recent AppleScript versions and the 'mount
volume' command:

- Standard Additions 1.4 - 1.4.2 had problems with some non-AppleShare
  servers (<http://devworld.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1194.html#applescript>)
  that doesn't support encrypted passwords -- fixed with 1.4.3 and above.
  A detailled summary can be found here:
  <http://quest.cc.purdue.edu/~aeh/archive/2000/msg00028.html>

- in 1.7 the AFP over AppleTalk syntax 'on server [servername]' didn't work,
  so you should use the AFPoverAppleTalk syntax: 'mount volume "afp:/at/..."

According to the AppleScript Sourcebook the two following problems exist
<http://www.AppleScriptSourcebook.com/applescript/applescript160.html>

- "In Mac OS 9.1, none of the commands in Standard Additions worked if the
  new Security items in the Extensions folder were disabled. This bug bit
  many users who routinely disabled the Security items because they did not
  use the Keychain and felt secure enough without the extensions. In both
  the Classic environment of Mac OS X and the new 1.6 release of Standard
  Additions for Mac OS 9.1, only the Mount Volume command in Standard
  Additions requires the Security items."

- "AppleScript 1.6 introduces a known problem with using the mount volume
  command to mount volumes hosted on certain kinds of servers, especially
  Windows 2000 machines. This problem will be addressed in a future version
  of AppleScript"

(BTW: I tried to compile some information about related topics here:
<http://users.phg-online.de/tk/automount%20afp-servers.html>)

>> mount volume "afp://[email-masked]/volume.name/" with authentication

'mount volume' is part of an OSAX' dictionary, so you should not use it
inside a 'tell application' statement.

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: "Robert J. Rust" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:01:57 -0600

I just tried this on a freshly updated MacOS 9.2.2 system (from 9.1 ->
9.2.2) with AppleScript 1.7 and got the same "network file permission"
error.  afaik, all my security extensions are intact (Security Cert Module,
Security Library, Security Manager, Security Policy Module, Security Storage
Module).  The server is as follows:

OS:        Solaris 2.6 w/ current Sun Recommended and Security patches
Netatalk:    netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4

script consists of one line (with obvious substitutions in the URL):
mount volume "afp://uname:passwd@hostname/Home/"

Robert

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Robert J Rust
Microcomputer Support Specialist
UW - River Falls IT Services
(715) 425-4357
[email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: Deano! <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jan 2002 15:08:10 -0800

I think I missed part of this conversation, but could someone tell me
what happens if you have the following in a script:

mount volume "afp://hostname/share/"

Will it then prompt for both user and* password? We'd certainly prefer
to not have to rewrite each script a few hundred times, and this way we
could build disk images with built-in desktop/dock/etc 'aliases' to the
major server shares.

> mount volume "afp://uname:passwd@hostname/Home/"

-deano

---

From: Ken Gillett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 14:32:18 +0000

>browser on MacOS 8.5 (?) and above. Take a look at <http://www.openslp.org>

Ah, that's it.

I've now updated to Netatalk 1.5.1.1 and am running OpenSLP 1.0.6 and 
if I use slptool I can see the services that I have configured into 
the static file, slp.reg. But Network Browser on the Mac sees nothing 
- it appears that Netatalk is not 'registering' itself with slpd. Are 
you familiar with getting Netatalk to interoperate with slp and 
becoming browsable from the Mac?

Anyone have any info on how to configure Netatalk to do this, there's 
NOTHING in the docs? about slp, just a line in the source code 
somewhere, so it is supposed to be able to do slp.
-- 

Ken  G i l l e t t

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 16:20:11 +0100

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 14:32:18 +0000, Ken Gillett wrote:

> - it appears that Netatalk is not 'registering' itself with slpd.

Even in this case you can use a static entry like:

slptool register "afp://[your server's ip address]/?NAME=[name of server]"

If I run a 'slptool dumpall' then I get for example:

    afp://192.168.71.1/?NAME=datenschleuder,96

> NOTHING in the docs?

A solution has been posted on this list a few weeks ago:

| On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:50:39 +0100, Burkhard Schmidt wrote:
| 
| > (1) You have to set up an SLP server, if you don't have one already.
| > Have a look at http://www.openslp.org/ for advice.
| > (2) You have to install the SLP header file and library in /path/to/slp
| > on the machine you build Netatalk on.
| > (3) Build Netatalk with the configure option "--enable-
| > srvloc=/path/to/slp".

> about slp, just a line in the source code somewhere, so it is supposed to be
> able to do slp.

Yes. One of the most active netatalk developers has done this:

| On Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:44:33 -0400 (EDT), Joe Clarke wrote:
| 
| > The OpenSLP project has gratiously incorporated my patch so that afpd
| > can properly register so that OS X will see it.  This patch will
| > officially come out in 1.0.3.  For now, either install the stable-1.0
| > branch of OpenSLP, or my previously posted patch to 1.0.2 if you want
| > SRVLOC support with afpd.

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 16:23:58 +0100

On 31 Jan 2002 15:08:10 -0800, Deano! wrote:

> Will it then prompt for both user and* password?

Why don't you try it yourself? ;-)

But: It works like you expect...

> We'd certainly prefer to not have to rewrite each script a few hundred times,
> and this way we could build disk images with built-in desktop/dock/etc
> 'aliases' to the major server shares.

Why don't you use 'normal' server aliases for this purpose?

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Burkhard Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:25:56 +0100

> | > SRVLOC support with afpd.

The configure switch '--enable-srvloc[=DIR]' which enables the SLP-code 
in Netatalk is broken in versions 1.5.1 and 1.5.1.1. You'll have to 
modify the configure script as illustrated in the attached diff to 
repair it.

With SLP enabled, Netatalk registers itself upon startup with the SLP 
server; you should see a line like 'Successfully registered 
afp://serverip/?NAME=servername with SRVLOC' in the syslog.

Regards, Burkhard.

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 16:39:11 +0100

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:01:57 -0600, Robert J. Rust wrote:

> error. 

Strange. I just tried to track this down (AppleScript 1.5.5 on MacOS 9 and
1.7 on MacOS X) and tried several User Authentication Modules on the servers
(netatalk 1.5.1 and EtherShare 2.6.5). But it works here with DHX,
2Way-RandNum and even Cleartext:

Feb  1 15:59:50 mailschleuder afpd[19099]: dhx login: tk
Feb  1 16:01:37 mailschleuder afpd[19165]: randnum/rand2num login: tk
Feb  1 16:26:38 mailschleuder afpd[19239]: cleartext login: tk

What messages appear in your syslog if you try it with 1.7/9.2.2?

To check dependencies with the used UAMs would you be so kind to supply the
UAMs your server supports?

Use 'asip-status.pl [ip address of your server] | grep "^UAMs"' on the
server for this purpose (<http://users.phg-online.de/tk/asip-status.pl.tgz>)

TIA,

Thomas

PS: Why not giving netatalk 1.5.x a try?

---

From: Sak Wathanasin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:25:45 +0000

In reply to Thomas Kaiser's message of the 01/02/2002 at 16:20 +0100,

>slptool register "afp://[your server's ip address]/?NAME=[name of server]"

That's not enough, is it? It will register a server that you can see 
in the Network browser, but if you try to drill down, you will see 
nothing. Compare with an AppleShare 6.x server or FileSharing (with 
ShareWay/IP enabled). Netatalk needs to register with SLP itself so 
it can register the info about share-points and so on.
-- 
Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited

Internet: [email-masked]
Phone: (+44) 24 76 41 99 96        Mobile: (+44) 79 70 75 19 12 
Fax: (+44) 24 76 69 06 90

---

From: Deano! <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 08:38:11 -0800

> Why don't you try it yourself? ;-)
Too true, but I'm full-time linux at work, and we have no spare Macs, so 
I didn't want to kick anyone out of their seat to test it.

> Why don't you use 'normal' server aliases for this purpose?

I'm running 1.4.something*, and the aliases stop working after some 
period X, which varies based on several criteria.  Also, our network has 
issues, and our Macs in the "new building" have very 
sporadic/intermittent appletalk access - essentially, they're always 
accessing the servers via IP/LPR/etc... But, if they do happen to have a 
browsable appletalk while a server share is mounted, the alias seems to 
be able to revert to 'appletalk' mode, which more or less makes it 
useless from then on out.

We've tried all of the 'well known' server/router/switching fixes for 
appletalk connectivity loss, to no avail... Which is unfortunately a 
GOOD thing for us, as we were already trying to 'hide' Appletalk 
company-wide, to stop users from doing peer-to-peer sharing of vital 
company documents instead of leaving them on the server to be backed up.

I'm moving on up to 1.5.1.1 on my workstation today, and if all goes 
well, I'll upgrade the file server in a week.

-deano

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 17:46:02 +0100

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:25:45 +0000, Sak Wathanasin wrote:

> That's not enough, is it?

Sure it is :-)

> It will register a server that you can see in the Network browser, but if
> you try to drill down, you will see nothing.

IIRC, you must enable guest login on the server for this feature (getting
the volume list -- part of afp communication not slp). In netatalk 1.5 that
means adding uams_guest.so to the uamslist. Otherwise you have to
authenticate before you are able to fetch the volume list.

> Compare with an AppleShare 6.x server or FileSharing (with ShareWay/IP
> enabled). 

It works with netatalk and another helios server that isn't running slp...

Sure your slp registration entry is syntactically correct?

> Netatalk needs to register with SLP itself so it can register the info about
> share-points and so on.

Hmm... I thought this is part of afp conversation (you will see apfd related
syslog entries, each time you click on a server in network browser). One of
the main concepts of slp is the use of directory agents, which make it
possible to register services on centralized servers even for machines not
reachable by SLP multicasts. I just tried it out with one machine (running
helios) and registered there the other (netatalk 1.5.1.1). No problems :-)

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 21:28:55 +0100

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 08:38:11 -0800, Deano! wrote:

> But, if they do happen to have a browsable appletalk while a server share is
> mounted, 

This means, they normally enter an ip address in the chooser?

> the alias seems to be able to revert to 'appletalk' mode, which more or less
> makes it useless from then on out.

Hmm... With recent AppleShare clients the Macs will always try to establish
the afp connection itself via AFP over TCP, even when you browse the network
with AppleTalk and choose the server via NBP. (Sak explained this in detail:
<http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/2001/0016.html>)

So even if they connect with AppleTalk the server alias should store the TCP
connection method, as the connection should normally be established with
TCP. The only reason why this does not work is, if the server's answer to
the client's FPGetSrvrInfo request contains not the correct ip address (or a
fully qualified domain name)

With asun's old versions, you can supply a '-address' switch in afpd.conf
(in netatalk 1.5.x it has been renamed to '-ipaddr'!). Do you use this?

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Ken Gillett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 13:18:59 +0000

>     afp://192.168.71.1/?NAME=datenschleuder,96

Can you enlighten me what the 'dumpall' command is? I can't find any 
suitable command to show everything.

Why use the '/?', the docs don't indicate this.

I have added an afp entry in my /etc/slp.reg file and I can display 
it with an 'slptool findsrvs' command, but Network Browser still 
cannot find it. Does the above show in Network Browser for you?

BTW, is it necessary to use the IP address, or is the domain name 
(resolvable to the address by the DNS) sufficient.

I'm looking into recompiling Netatalk to sort out its slp problem, 
but in the meantime I'd like to figure why it's not working with the 
static registration.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
-- 

Ken  G i l l e t t

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Sak Wathanasin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 16:07:01 +0000

In reply to Thomas Kaiser's message of the 01/02/2002 at 17:46 +0100,

>authenticate before you are able to fetch the volume list.

That makes sense. I can see the netatalk servers now. In OS9 if I 
have saved my passwords in my keychain, it seems to be able to 
authenticate to the serevr even if I don't have "guest" enabled, but 
not with OSX.

Thanks
-- 
Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 19:25:47 +0100

> suitable command to show everything.

Maybe I made a little mistake. I'm using the slp stuff provided by my Helios
EtherShare installation. They say, it is based on OpenSLP, so I thought, the
commands are the same.

> Why use the '/?', the docs don't indicate this.

You mean '?NAME=datenschleuder'? If you don't supply a name, then only the
IP address will be displayed to slp clients (like the network browser)

> cannot find it. Does the above show in Network Browser for you?

Yes, it does.

> (resolvable to the address by the DNS) sufficient.

Just a moment...

    slptool register "afp://barricade.kaiser.link-m.de/?NAME=barricade"

... the server appears as 'barricade'

Basically the idea should be that a slp client looks for registered services
and displays there names. If you click on such an entry, the AFP URL should
be passed to the afp client. With MacOS X (10.1.2) this works even if you
supply a FQDN, with MacOS 9.1 it does not (but I can mount the server when
entering the FQDN in the 'server ip address' field in chooser). Looks like
network browser in classic MacOS isn't supporting DNS lookups...

I'm not familiar with the original OpenSLP installation, as I'm using
actually only the Helios' implementation (I'm a lazy one ;-). Maybe you want
to try it this way? If you have one Mac with MOSX 10.1, you can simply
install Helios on your machine, to look how 'easy life could be' ;-)

It's just a 20 mbyte download and 1 minute of installation (+29 minutes
reading the docs ;-) --> <http://www.helios.de/news/news02/N_02_02.html>)

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Ken Gillett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:06:09 +0000

>IP address will be displayed to slp clients (like the network browser)

I was (am still) puzzled about the syntax of this. My SLP docs show 
attributes (like name) being entered in a different way (on a 
following line), yet Apple uses this ?NAME technique, but only for 
afp and http. An ftp service cannot use this as it gets treated like 
a folder name and the address part (or domainname) is what appears as 
the name in the Network Browser.

It all seems very inconsistent, but I have now got afp, ftp and http 
services listed in the Network Browser. My problem was entering 
'service:' in front of the afp as the docs indicate you should, but 
it screws it up for Apple's browsing. I spent some time with tcpdump 
looking at the what was being sent up and down the wire before I 
figured that one out. Of course, if I'd taken your instructions 
literally I wouldn't have had the problem, but I just thought you'd 
omitted that part. Anyway, I know a lot more now than if I hadn't had 
to find out.

>network browser in classic MacOS isn't supporting DNS lookups...

I find that the domainname is sufficient (not even FQDN, just the 
hostname, but I have resolution set to add the domain part), but for 
some reason I cannot mount the volumes from the Network Browser. The 
ftp service works perfectly and when I select the Netatalk server it 
opens to show the 2 available volumes, but I cannot mount either of 
them. I double click, or try to 'Make alias' and it does nothing. 
However, I *can* mount the Netatalk volumes from the Chooser and 
another MacOS9 machine with file sharing on is also shown in the NB 
and the available volume mounts perfectly.

Why would the NB have problems mounting the Netatalk volumes? It 
obviously can connect to the server as it shows the volumes 
available, but why can't it mount them? Once it has the volume name 
to mount, is SLP involved at all?

Curiouser and curiouser.
-- 

Ken  G i l l e t t

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 12:58:34 +0100

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002 10:06:09 +0000, Ken Gillett wrote:

> My problem was entering 'service:' in front of the afp as the docs indicate
> you should, but it screws it up for Apple's browsing.

RFC 2068 <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2608.html>:

| 4. URLs used with Service Location
| 
|    A Service URL indicates the location of a service.  This URL may be
|    of the service: scheme [13] (reviewed in section 4.1), or any other
|    URL scheme conforming to the URI standard [8], except that URLs
|    without address specifications SHOULD NOT be advertised by SLP. The
|    service type for an 'generic' URL is its scheme name.  For example,
|    the service type string for "http://www.srvloc.org" would be "http".

Maybe just a compatibility issue between SLPv1 and v2?

>> [...] With MacOS X (10.1.2) this works even if you supply a FQDN, with MacOS
>> 9.1 it does not (but I can mount the server when entering the FQDN in the
>> 'server ip address' field in chooser). Looks like network browser in classic
>> MacOS isn't supporting DNS lookups...
> 
> 
> some reason I cannot mount the volumes from the Network Browser.

Hmm... very confusing this whole stuff ;-) Seems like Network Browser
sometimes looks at the AFP URL attribute and sometimes only on the NAME
attribute...

Let's say I register a remote afp server, like the one from OpenDoors:

slptool register "afp://208.1.80.221/?NAME=just%20a%20public%20afp%20server"

This entry will be shown as "just a public afp server" in Network Browser
and if you click on it, you will be prompted to authenticate against this
server (connecting as guest will work in this case).

But if I try 'slptool register "afp://afp.opendoor.com/?NAME=same%20server"'
then I won't be able to access the server's volumes. I believed, Network
Browser does no name lookups itself, as it treats the process of name
resolving as a part of service location. With MacOS X this has changed and
the DNS Resolver will be invoked before trying to do afp conversation with
the server...

As you said, you just supply the hostname, I tried it out and realized
another strange symptom:

Say, I register "afp://a.wrong.hostname/?NAME=barricade.kaiser.link-m.de"
then the first part (the AFP URL) is irrelevant and the second part will be
treated as the hostname and will be resolved successfully.

MacOS X is different as it always differentiates between the NAME attribute
and the afp URL itself...

> The ftp service works perfectly and when I select the Netatalk server it opens
> to show the 2 available volumes, but I cannot mount either of them.

This is strange... For me it works if the first part is something different
than an ip address and the second part (the NAME attribute) is resolvable.

> I double click, or try to 'Make alias' and it does nothing.

Do you mount via AppleTalk or TCP?

> to mount, is SLP involved at all?

I believe an afp session is established to fetch the volume list from the
server. At this point, this has nothing to do with slp as it is plain afp
conversation. So I'm puzzled, why mounting the volumes won't work
afterwards...

Regards,

Thomas

PS: Finally I tried to supply an illegal ip address and an illegal FQDN and
    now I'm completely puzzled:
    "afp://256.256.256.256/?NAME=barricade.kaiser.link-m.develey"
    After 1 minute Network Browser establishes a connection to
    "barricade.kaiser.link-m.de" =8-|

---

From: Ken Gillett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 22:54:27 +0000

>RFC 2068 <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2608.html>:

Heavy going.

>Maybe just a compatibility issue between SLPv1 and v2?

I wonder.

>     After 1 minute Network Browser establishes a connection to

It's all a bit of a maze really. I've tried all combinations and 
whatever I do it will not mount.

I've been watching tcpdump on port 427 when I try and mount the 
volumes, but there's no traffic, so the mounting seems to be 
independent of slp.

I just tried mounting via Network Browser without slpd running. I had 
to enter the hostname to connect and the volumes were listed 
immediately, but again they do NOT mount. So it's a Netatalk problem 
and nothing to do with SLP.

So, what's up with Netatalk that causes mounting via Network Browser 
to fail when it works via the Chooser?
-- 

Ken  G i l l e t t

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 10:38:34 +0100

> to fail when it works via the Chooser?

Ken, trash the whole Open Transport Preferences folder and try
again ... I had to do so very often when for example I had created
new volumes at the Netatalk Server.

HTH,
-Thomas