Subject: Problem logging into Suse Netatalk and OS 10.1.2

From: Paul Ruscito <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 23:00:03 -0500

All,

Please Help.

I have been going crazy trying to set up a Netatalk share in suse7.2 for my
Mac OS10.1.2 machine to access and am having a problem. Here goes:

I have configured system. This is my AppleVolumes.default

~ "Home Directory"
/u02/apple_linux "Apple Linux"

Both these shares show up after I send the login information to Linux. As
soon as I try to open one it returns an error message stating that the
server has closed connection.

I think I am having a clear text password problem but have no idea how to
diagnose. Another thing I have noticed is that I can ping the IP of Linux
but cannot ping by machine name.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

---

From: Damien MATTEI <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 08:42:41 +0100

> but cannot ping by machine name.
same problem with Netatalk 1.5pre2 under RedHat 7.2: when i try to
connect from a Mac OS 10.0.4, i reach the share chooser dialog box and
after having selected one it say that the connection has been
interrupted.

i 'd like to know what version run the people that have good experience
with
 Mac OS X and Netatalk?
-- 
MATTEI Damien					Phone: +33 (0)4 93 37 76 66
C.N.R.S / U.N.S.A				Fax:   +33 (0)4 93 53 30 71
UMR 6549 Instabilite & Alterations des Genomes	E-mail: [email-masked]
Faculte de Medecine - Avenue de Valombrose - 06107 NICE Cedex 2 - France

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 10:56:36 +0100

>> server has closed connection.

When doing it from MOSX, you can set the debug level to something higher to
diagnose these problems: As Leland wrote:

| ----------
| From: Leland Wallace <[email-masked]>
| Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 10:51:17 -0700
| To: [email-masked]
| Subject: Re: 1.5pre8 - OSX 10.1 kernel panic (client)
| 
| For login problems it is helpful to launch the Finder from terminal
| after setting the env variable AFP_DEBUG_LEVEL to 8 and trying to
| reproduce the problem. This turns on the logging built into the
| AppleShare Client, It will spew reams of info to stderr.

Or another variation (avoiding to 'launch Finder from terminal' ;-), using
the CLI tools:

| ----------
| From: Leland Wallace <[email-masked]>
| Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:33:21 -0800
| To: [email-masked]
| Subject: Re: Can't connect from OSX10.1
| 
|   From the terminal in Mac OS X type:
|    setenv AFP_DEBUG_LEVEL 8
|    mkdir /Volumes/volname
|   /sbin/mount -t afp afp://username:password@servername/volume
|     /Volumes/volname
| 
| replacing username, password, servername, volume, and volname with
| your local names
| [...]
| 
| Leland
| AppleShare Client Lead

I don't know which version of netatalk the one, that comes with SuSE 7.2,
is. Maybe you might want to give 1.5.1.1 a try?

>> diagnose. 

Try the 'mount -t afp' method. Feel free to send me the output directly
(replacing your password ;-) and I see, what I can do.

>> Another thing I have noticed is that I can ping the IP of Linux but cannot
>> ping by machine name.

Ah. Interesting. If you try to connect to your netatalk server by entering
it's ip address 'afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' does this work? Or the same thing as
when connecting with AppleTalk ('afp:/at/xxx')?
 
>> [...]

IIRC, MOSX 10.0.x doesn't support cleartext passwords (this has been lifted
with 10.1.x AFAIK). So you should use the method outlined above to get a
list of possible UAMs your server supports. Maybe the only UAM is
'Cleartext', so you won't be able to connect. The '/sbin/mount_afp' command
will output the list of available UAMs (on the netatalk server) and the one,
the mac will choose:

    BuildUAMList: available UAMs
            DHCAST128
            2-Way Randnum exchange
            Cleartxt Passwrd
            No User Authent
    TUAMHandler::ChooseBestUAM
    Choosing        DHCAST128

BTW: This way you can also diagnose name resolving problems. Try an
AppleTalk AFP URL like "afp:/at/username:password@nbp-name/volume" to see
whether the AFP client will switch to AppleTalk over TCP and if this works.

(Some details on the AFP URL syntax can be found here:
<http://users.phg-online.de/tk/automount%20afp-servers.html>)

> i 'd like to know what version run the people that have good experience with
> Mac OS X and Netatalk?

Both MOSX 10.1.1 and 10.1.2 (haven't tried older versions) work for me since
the days of the 1.5 release candidates (at the moment using the 'final'
1.5.1.1)

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: "Jonathan Graham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 11:01:12 -0500

Try setting a login message in netatalk  add the following to your line in
afpd.conf

-loginmesg "Welcome to my computer"

---

From: Paul Ruscito <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 21:38:12 -0500

> -loginmesg "Welcome to my computer"

YOU ARE THE MAN! It worked like a charm. Thank you so much.

---

From: Damien MATTEI <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 20:09:06 +0100

> > i 'd like to know what version run the people that have good experience
well it works, in sense i get in my directory but i am unable to copy
files:
error -43...

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 21:16:06 +0100

> well it works, in sense i get in my directory but i am unable to copy

<http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/5215/2001/7//6274412/>
<http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/5215/2001/6/50/5996307/>
<http://www.macintouch.com/mosxreaderreports80.html#jan18>

Damien,

you are still using an old beta (1.5pre2 is _very_ old). Instead of trying
to find workarounds for several already fixed bugs, you should give the
final version a try...

1.5 has been released 5 weeks ago (kudos to the whole netatalk development
community!) and RPMs for your RedHat distribution are available from here:

<http://kraftwerk.adsl.dk/netatalk/>
<ftp://ftp.falsehope.net/home/tengel/netatalk/>

You can try <http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=netatalk>
too (courtesy Jonathan Graham ;-)

SuSE users should visit <ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/olh/netatalk/> and on
<http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/pool/non-US/main/n/netatalk/> you
will find Debian packages

FreeBSD users will find up-to-date ports on any FreeBSD mirror or on:
<ftp://ftp5.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/net/netatalk>
(Don't know about Open- and NetBSD)

Maybe we can collect here on this list all our needs for which platforms or
distributions netatalk should be distributed as RPMs, packages or ports?

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Damien MATTEI <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 10:15:19 +0100

> > well it works, in sense i get in my directory but i am unable to copy
okay you convinced me i will try updqte my server with new version...
but waiting i have a strange error never occured before -50 at the end
of a file transfer.
someone knows the meaning of this error?
the file is an exotic genome data file type and i was wondering if there
was not only problem with the copying of the fork ressource or something
else , but it's only an assumtion...