Subject: Macintosh/Linux UPS question

From: "Heath Henderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 05:52:49 -0500

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the cross-post, but I have an intriguing question.

Is there a way to have a Macintosh (6100 hooked to an APC-UPS and when
shutdown is initiated it will close filemaker with no arguments, as well as
run a shutdown script that will also power-down a linux box on the same
machine.  I wasn't sure if I could have it write a text file to Halt the
computer and upon UPS powerdown copy it to a Linux Netatalk mounted drive
and have the Linux box run a cron job every one minute that will cause it to
look for a particular file.  If present it will run a script, if not it will
not run that script.  I need to be able to power down both Macintosh and
Linux box from one or the other machines?

Thanks for any help.

Heath Henderson

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 08:16:27 -0400

Heath,

	Heck, I don't mind cross-posting as long as there's an 
interesting problem to solve.

	What I might do is have the linux box run a cron job every 
minute (or every 5, whatever).  This cron job doesn't check for a 
file.  It pings for the Macintosh.  If the Macintosh isn't there, 
record that fact.  Then ping again in another 5 minutes.  If it still 
isn't there, then shut everything down.

	Conversely, can you have the Macintosh send a signal to the 
Linux box?  What if the Macintosh sent a "death notice" to the linux 
box via e-mail when it was instructed to shut down?

	Alias the e-mail to a shell script on your Linux machine. 
Here's the problem though:  With a little tweaking, someone could 
shut down your Linux system if they sent mail to that specific 
shutdown address.   So you might want the script to check for a code 
that is sent in the death e-mail.

	I actually wrote something like this once back when one of 
our NT machines had a UPS that did automatic shutdown, and one of our 
Linux machines had a "My First UPS" that probably came from Fisher 
Price.  Since we couldn't do automatic shutdown on the Linux machine, 
we would periodically check to see if the NT machine had fallen off 
the network.  If it did, the Linux machine sent a a page to me, and 
shut itself down.

	However, one day I shut the NT machine down for periodic 
maintenance and forgot to disable the Linux server's checking. 
Needless to say the Linux machine obediently shut itself down in the 
middle of the workday.  Sometimes, when I close my eyes, I still hear 
the screams... :-)

	So in a nutshell, build in a safety - even if it's just a 
note on the server - that if you shut the machine down for 
maintenance, be sure to disable the checking script on the Linux 
machine.

	Let me know how it turns out, or if you need help developing 
the script.

	Ryan

>Linux box from one or the other machines?

__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
__________________________________
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

---

From: Thanh-Cong Ho <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 16:18:46 +0200

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the post, but I have a question.

Under OS 9.0, my Mac worked very well with Netatalk Linux SuSE 7.0
After update on 9.1, I have no contact to the Linux server,
but it works OK with Windows NT Server. In the netatalk- network
I can't see my Linux server (IP OK, apple talk activ !!!)

Thanks for any help.

Cong

---

From: Christoph Sold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 16:52:03 +0200

> I can't see my Linux server (IP OK, apple talk activ !!!)

in the chooser, hit the Connect to server button, enter the IP address
of your netatlak server. Probably the connect will succeed. Something
has changed in 9.1 which prevents netatalk servers from showing up in
the chooser.

HTH
-Christoph Sold

---

From: Trevor Allett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 16:05:59 +0100

>has changed in 9.1 which prevents netatalk servers from showing up in

i have  one machine that has been upgraded from 9.0.4 -> 9.1 and i 
can still see all of my linux servers as before the upgrade, suse 6.3 
with netatalk 1.4b2+asun 2.1.3-30 also suse 6.4 and 7.0. . .
-- 
--
==============================
Trevor Allett
IT Support unit
North Oxfordshire College,
Banbury,
Oxfordshire.	United Kingdom.
=======================================
============================================
This message may contain information which is legally privileged
and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any unauthorised disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this information is strictly prohibited.
Such notification notwithstanding, any comments or opinions
expressed are those of the originator, not of
North Oxfordshire College and School of Art,
unless otherwise explicitly stated.
=================================================================

---

From: John Hogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:37:28 -0500

why do my brain farts smell so bad? i have a good connection from an os 9.1 
mac powerbook to a suse linux fileserver on an internal (192.168.0.* IP)... 
i cannot configure the server to:

1) authenticate users... unlimited access for all to '/tmp' of all places

2) put user into /home/user on connection

please give an example of how to configure a 'one user - home directory' 
configuration directive for 'afpd.conf'... i would appreciate it very much

- hogan

At 10:05 AM 5/18/2001, Trevor Allett wrote:
>i have  one machine that has been upgraded from 9.0.4 -> 9.1 and i can 
>still see all of my linux servers as before the upgrade, suse 6.3 with 
>netatalk 1.4b2+asun 2.1.3-30 also suse 6.4 and 7.0. . .
>--
>--

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:00:44 -0500 (CDT)

I'm running 9.1 clients and all my Netatalk boxes show up in the Chooser.

-Dan

--