Subject: DISAPPEARING FOLDERS - HELP!

From: Claire van Heyningen <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jul 2001 17:49:55 +1000

Hi,

I'm running netatalk-1.4.99-0.20001108mdk on Madrake Linux 7.2.

I'm having major problems with files and folders randomly disappearing
from our file server.  It used to happen every now and again, and we'd
simply retrieve the files from back-up, assuming it to be user error
(with no offence intended to the users!).  However, it's started
happening much more frequently, with no apparent rhyme or reason.

I've checked the log files, and nothing untoward is being reported.

Today, a user created a new folder on our server and an hour later it
had disappeared without a trace.  Because it was created and lost so
quickly, obviously we didn't have a chance to back the new data up (we
back up every night).

I don't know whether this is a netatalk issue, but it seemed like as
good a place to start as any. 

If anyone has any idea whatsoever, please let me know a.s.a.p. as I'm
desperate and my managing director's a bit over it all ...

Thanks muchly,
Claire.