Subject: Printer Authentication

From: "Marc D. Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:20:52 -0600

Hello All,

We were wondering if Netatalk is capable of supporting authenticated 
printing.  Can one restrict netatalk from printing to a spooling device 
unless the user has mounted their personal drive or some sort of public 
drive?  We found this feature in CAP to be very useful since we charge for 
printing here.

Thanks in advance.

Marc Taylor
===============================
Marc D. Taylor
Research Programmer
Beckman Institute Systems Services
Room 1714
Office:  217-244-7373, Fax:  217-333-8206
[email-masked]
www.beckman.uiuc.edu/groups/biss

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 09:28:35 -0500

> drive?  We found this feature in CAP to be very useful since we charge for

Yes, the current prerelease of netatalk (1.5pre3) supports authenticated
printing through the UAMs (User Authentication Modules). There is a fair
amount of documentation now available on this in the distribution, and
there should be some in the mailing list archives as well.

To get the newest release from sourceforge, go to:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/netatalk/

jeff