Subject: Re: saving across network with Quark problem

From: Dave Ritter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:28:56 -0700

here is some info on the "Quark" problem

http://www.macwindows.com/quark.html

this is an excerpt...

---
We have seen this problem in the past and have worked with Quark to come up
with a work around. Below is a paragraph copied directly out of my personal
notes. 

4-25-00. Spoke to Scott Henry at Quark. He is a QA engineer who deals mostly
with the PC side but works with the Mac stuff as well. He says they saw this
problem in the past on Novel AFP servers where the rights of the folder were
read/write/modify but not create. If the user double clicks on the Quark
file on the server the temp files have to be created on the server at the
location of the Quark file being opened. If they cannot be created then
there are problems.

If quark is opened and File Open is used, the temp files are then created at
the location the OS stipulates. This prevents the Quark temp files from
being written across the network to the AFP volume and should help the
situation.

Quark recommends 8.3 naming convention and simple server and path names when
using quark files cross platform because theymaintain a usage profile in the
quark file that is supposed to keep track of all graphics and external
files. This can get screwed up pretty easy by the cross-platform UNC and
file naming differences of PC's and Mac's.

Because of the way Quark handles its temp files, it is a bad idea to open a
Quark file from any AFP Server. The best thing to do is to copy the Quark
file to the local machine, open it, edit it, and close it; then copy it back
to the AFP Server.

---

> Subject: saving across network with Quark problem
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Users on a netatalk server I'm running are having
> problems when saving to the shared drive with Quark.
> The mac pops up all these "Unknown error -199" and
> other numbers that don't explain anything. Their files
> get corrupted or lost. Often the only way out is to
> copy and paste the whole document into a new empty
> document, because Quark refuses to save to the
> networked drive. This also happens during "Collect for
> Output".
> 
> There don't seem to be any other problems. File
> copying with the Finder works fine (and is nice &
> fast).
> 
> These are macs running mac os 9.1 and quark 4.1,
> connected to the netatalk server over tcp/ip.
> 
> I recommended for now to copy the file to their local
> drives, work on them, then copy back to the server.
> But this is considered a huge hassle (I agree). They
> should be able to work over the network.
> 
> Thanks for any help you can offer.
> 
> --Isaac