Subject: Yet another "password incorrect" problem

From: Bob Hobbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 20:48:58 +0000

Hi,

I've been trying to install netatalk 1.5pre7 on linuxPPC (very similar to
redhat; uses PAM and shadow passwords), and getting what seems to be a
familiar problem in this list:  If I try to log into the server as an
existing user with the correct password, I get "Password Incorrect"; guest
login works fine.

I had previously got the same source tree to work fine on my RedHat 7 PC.
(Actually this is part of the problem; I've modified the code quite a lot
for my own purposes, so it would be very difficult for me to use a different
source code distribution now).

These are the things I've tried so far:
- adding "-DSHADOWPW" to the makefiles in etc/uams and etc/afpd
- using clear text passwords
- checked /etc/services and other config files
- basically everything mentioned in the archives back to 1997

This is the sort of thing I get in /var/log/messages when I try to log in:

-----SNIP--------

Nov  8 12:33:01 hfetoday afpd[18943]: ASIP started on 209.49.123.176:548(1)
(1.5
pre7)
Nov  8 12:33:01 hfetoday afpd[18943]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
Nov  8 12:33:01 hfetoday afpd[18943]: uam: uams_clrtxt.so loaded
Nov  8 12:33:01 hfetoday afpd[18943]: uam: "Cleartxt Passwrd" available
Nov  8 12:33:01 hfetoday afpd[18943]: uam: "No User Authent" available
Nov  8 12:33:13 hfetoday afpd[18945]: ASIP session:548(1) from
155.198.13.55:493
27(0)
Nov  8 12:33:13 hfetoday afpd[18943]: server_child[1] 18945 done
Nov  8 12:33:20 hfetoday afpd[18946]: ASIP session:548(1) from
155.198.13.55:493
28(0)
Nov  8 12:33:20 hfetoday afpd[18946]: cleartext login: bob
Nov  8 12:33:20 hfetoday afpd[18946]: 0.07KB read, 0.07KB written
Nov  8 12:33:20 hfetoday afpd[18943]: server_child[1] 18946 done
Nov  8 12:33:27 hfetoday afpd[18947]: ASIP session:548(1) from
155.198.13.55:493
29(0)
Nov  8 12:33:28 hfetoday afpd[18947]: login noauth
Nov  8 12:33:28 hfetoday afpd[18947]: login bob (uid 508, gid 100)
Nov  8 12:33:31 hfetoday afpd[18947]: logout bob
Nov  8 12:33:31 hfetoday afpd[18947]: 0.18KB read, 0.17KB written
Nov  8 12:33:31 hfetoday afpd[18943]: server_child[1] 18947 done

------/SNIP----------

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

--Bob