Subject: Illustrator EPS files

From: Tom Barrons <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:13:59 -0500

Hi all,

I could use some help.  I just built a new fileserver for a mixed
Mac/Windows environment, I'm running netatalk and samba.  This is only the
second such install I've done.  My first one was a while ago and it's been
running great. I tried replicating the problem on my first install using the
same files, the first one does not have the problem.

First machine I'm running Yellow Dog Linux Champion Server 1.1 with
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3, from an RPM provided with the distrobution.  The
new machine having the problem is RedHat 7 also with
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3, this RPM was from RedHat's site. The two machines
are on different networks in different buildings.

This art department, all Macs, use Adobe Illustrator version 9.  If a user
tries saving a file directly to the server as an EPS "occasionally" they get
kicked off the server and have to reconnect.  They never have this problem
if they save the file locally and then drag copy it over the network, only
if they are saving it from within Illustrator.

I don't see this as being to big of a problem myself but I can't seem to get
them in the habit of doing it this way and not complaining about it.  This
didn't used to happen on their old NT server so of course they think the
Linux one is broken and I want to prove otherwise.  Everything else on the
Samba/Windows end is working on this new install.

After skimming through archives of this list I suspected the CRLF
translation and I believe I correctly disabled that by adding -nocrlf to
afpd.conf? I restarted netatlk but the problem persists.

Since I didn't compile this myself I also wonder about a difference there,
and how could I check for this?  Could this still be something in netatalk
or a config somewhere, or should I be looking elsewhere on the server or the
network?

Thanks for any help.
Tom

---

From: alan premselaar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:23:14 -0800

Tom,

   I'm not sure why it wouldn't happen on an NT server (unless the NT server 
wasn't utilizing AppleShare IP protocol), HOWEVER, Adobe made some changes 
in Illustrator 9 that affects it's communication with servers (not any 
specifically) which cause strange things to happen.

Although i'm not a production operator, I install server solutions in the 
pre-press industry and i've heard nothing but disappointment with regards 
to illustrator 9.  Many of my customers have discontinued its use and gone 
back to version 8 just due to the production problems they've been 
experiencing.

if this problem is only happening with illustrator 9, I would say it's not 
likely your netatalk configuration.  Try doing the same operations with 
illustrator version 8 and see if the problem persists.  if not, then it's 
very likely Illustrator 9, at which point, i'd suggest contacting Adobe to 
see if they have a fix.

hope this helps.

alan

>or a config somewhere, or should I be looking elsewhere on the server or the

----
  there's nothing like the undying sense of reliability provided by modern 
technology.
----
alan premselaar
[email-masked]
www.12inch.com

---

From: Mac Conin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:11:44 +0100

We have some customers using Illu 9.0 (plus the availaable patches). It
seems that Illustrator 9 has some significant bugs while storing and
exporting files. Our customer stepped back to Version 8 and everthing
works fine.

-- 
--schnipp-- 

mit freundlichen grüssen

-----------------------------------------------------------
Mac Conin                        EUC Online Service GmbH
Geschäftsführer                  Taubengasse 9
[email-masked]                    D 50676 Koeln
http://www.euc.de                HRB Köln 32038
tel : +49-221-923 27 33          fax : +49-221-239 651
-----------------------------------------------------------
EUC sponsort Clean up Cologne - eine Iniative der IHK Köln,
der Abfallwirtschaftsbetriebe Köln (AWB) und dem
Grünflächenamt der Stadt Köln. http://www.clean-up-cologne.de

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 07:09:21 -0600 (CST)

Has anyone else experienced problems with saving and retrieving
Illustrator 9 files? Have you tried using the following RPM with
Illustrator files?

ftp://mirror.sit.wisc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/redhat/beta/wolverine/en/powertools/i386/RedHat/RPMS/netatalk-1.5pre2-4.i386.rpm

I would like to know if this RPM does the same thing with your Illustrator
files.

Thanks.
-Dan

--

---

From: Rory Campbell-Lange <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 15:54:47 +0100

I added a new volume to my AppleVolumes.default file and restarted
netatalk.

I can still connect via tcp/ip, but the server ("Test") isn't showing up
in the chooser now.

I've been doing some comparitive tests with an Ethershare appletalk
server running on another Linux box. Has this messed up the zone
information?

Stuff from daemon.log (I'm on debian):

afpd[12858]: Can't register Test:AFPServer@*
afpd[12858]: ASIP started on 194.159.148.169:548(1) (1.5pre6)
afpd[12858]: uam : Loading (/usr/lib/netatalk/uams_clrtxt.so)
afpd[12858]: uam: uams_clrtxt.so loaded
afpd[12858]: uam: "Cleartxt Passwrd" available
atalkd[12854]: rtmp_packet gateway 6.201 up

Thanks for any help

Rory

---

From: Karen A Swanberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:41:19 -0500 (CDT)

> afpd[12858]: Can't register Test:AFPServer@*

This is sometimes a result of missing NIC information in the atalkd.conf
file. Did that information change or get deleted in the restart? Did you
change your NIC? I just put 'fxp0' in my atalkd.conf file, and it gets
populated with the rest of the needed info when atalk starts up. It could
also be le0, eth0, or a number of other options depending on the NIC.

> atalkd[12854]: rtmp_packet gateway 6.201 up

-Karen

*                                                     *
Karen Swanberg              |                         
Network Admin.              |               GNUmusk, an 
Dept. of Geology/Geophysics |        opensource cologne
206 Pillsbury Hall          |                         
310 Pillsbury Ave. SE       |       Old geeks never die                    
University of Mn            |          They just revert
Minneapolis, MN 55455       |              to cleartext
(612) 624-6541              |                         
*                                                     *

---

From: Rory Campbell-Lange <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 18:09:21 +0000

On 21/5/01, [email-masked] (Karen A Swanberg) wrote:

> > I added a new volume to my AppleVolumes.default file and
> > restarted netatalk.
> > 
> > I can still connect via tcp/ip, but the server ("Test") isn't
> > showing up in the chooser now.
...
> This is sometimes a result of missing NIC information in the
> atalkd.conf file. Did that information change or get deleted in
> the restart? Did you change your NIC? I just put 'fxp0' in my
> atalkd.conf file, and it gets populated with the rest of the
> needed info when atalk starts up. It could also be le0, eth0,
> or a number of other options depending on the NIC.

I've been running without anything in atalkd.conf!
My interface is eth0. I'll try putting that in; although I had to
restart the server to do a hardware upgrade and appletalk came up again.
I think the problem may be with the appletalk router.

Thanks for your help.

Rory