Subject: Atalk net slow, not responding

From: Chris Szilagyi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:56:10 -0500

Hello,
I am hoping somebody can shed a little light on a peculiar AppleTalk
problem we are having.  We have a Red Hat Linux 7.0 machine
(2.2.19-7.0.10enterprise) set up as an AppleTalk router for two zones,
using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-22 from Red Hat.  Things have been fine
for weeks, except for the past couple days, the Mac workstations will
encounter the "Appletalk has been disrupted" message, then a few seconds
later they will get the "Appletalk is now available".  This will cause
every device on our network using Appletalk to pause, then pick back
up.  When I look at /var/log/messages, I can see:

Nov 15 15:12:05 fw atalkd[735]: zip ignoring gnireply
Nov 15 15:12:05 fw atalkd[735]: zip gnireply from 1.10 (eth1 1fa)
Nov 15 15:12:05 fw atalkd[735]: zip ignoring gnireply
Nov 15 15:12:05 fw atalkd[735]: zip gnireply from 1.10 (eth1 1fa)
Nov 15 15:12:06 fw atalkd[735]: zip ignoring gnireply
Nov 15 15:12:06 fw atalkd[735]: zip gnireply from 1.10 (eth1 1fa)
Nov 15 15:12:06 fw atalkd[735]: zip ignoring gnireply
Nov 15 15:12:06 fw atalkd[735]: zip gnireply from 1.10 (eth1 1fa)

These log entries appear at the same time the Appletalk net pauses.  The
machine "fw" in the log is the Linux Appletalk router.  The interface
eth1 is an Intel Pro/1000 T using the e1000 module, v. 3.1.23 of the
driver, released Aug 2001.  If anybody can tell me why this may be
happening, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
--
Chris
Group InfoTech, Inc.