Subject: setting up non postscript printer + access privilieges

From: online perspective <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 15:33:12 +1000

Hi all,

i am trying to setup an epson photo ex connected to the linux box so that
the mac connected to the lan would print to it,

the linux box prints perfectly to it, and i ve got the windows stations
printing too, 

tha mac sees the printer but returns a postscript error !

and regarding access privileges, for some reason (I have all rights valid
everywhere ) i can create and delete folders on the linux box from the mac,
but i can't seem to create or remove files !!

please somebody help !!

thanks a million for your feedback !

jerome

---

From: Christian Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 14:26:38 +0200

>  tha mac sees the printer but returns a postscript error !

Your papd needs an input filter that can "convert" PostScript 
commands into a language your printer understands. You can do this 
using ghostscript. Some time ago, I found a website that provided 
very useful information on this problem, but I don't remember the 
URL....

Try "googl'ing" (http://www.google.com) for "Printing with netatalk" 
and insert exactly these words.

hth,
Christian
-- 
Christian Schmidt
[email-masked]

---

From: "Glen Morris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:36:50 +1000

Hi there!

I'm running netatalk rh7.1-1.5pre6 and have managed to get my netatalk
volume on my Linux box to mount successfully on my G4 running MacOS X
(10.0.4), however, when I go to copy files either way it fails with an error
message about some of the files can't be found.

Glen

---

From: Glen Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 21:39:01 +1000

I just thought I should provide the exact wording of the warning dialog 
box:

Preparing copy to "Desktop"
The operation cannot be completed because one or more required items 
could not be found. (Error code -43).

This is despite the volume mounting fine under MacOS 9.1 and 
successfully transfering the same files. Anyone seen this problem with 
MacOS X?

Glen

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 19:49:38 +0200

> successfully transfering the same files. Anyone seen this problem with

Anybody? 

*Everybody* (well, at least those who managed to even mount a
netatalk share at an OSX client) encounters exact the problem you
describe.

FYI, I believe the next beta from Sourceforge is supposed to
(basically) work with OSX clients.

-Thomas 

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers

---

From: Sebastian Wenleder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:59:42 +0200

Hi all,

I got Netatalk from the SuSE 7.1 Package.
The Problem is that it floods my Log-files with:

.
.
.

Jul  5 23:19:33 asok afpd[17383]:  begin getfilparams:
Jul  5 23:19:33 asok afpd[17383]:  end getfilparams:
Jul  5 23:19:33 asok afpd[17383]:  begin getfilparams:
Jul  5 23:19:33 asok afpd[17383]:  end getfilparams:
Jul  5 23:19:33 asok afpd[17383]:  begin afp_getfildirparams:
Jul  5 23:19:33 asok afpd[17383]:  end afp_ getfildirparams:
Jul  5 23:19:33 asok afpd[17383]:  begin afp_ getfildirparams:
Jul  5 23:19:33 asok afpd[17383]:  end afp_ getfildirparams:
Jul  5 23:19:33 asok afpd[17383]:  begin afp_ getfildirparams:
Jul  5 23:19:33 asok afpd[17383]:  end afp_ getfildirparams:

.
.
.

It sends loads of these messages (facility: daemon.=info) to syslog 
whenever I perform any action on a mounted volume. Since I can't 
totally stop logging of daemon.=info and the -nodebug option of 
netatalk does not change anything, I need your help!

TIA.
Best Regards

Sebastian Wenleder