Subject: with red hat 7

From: brian lynch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 00:18:38 -0500

i am trying to get netatalk to work on my system rh 7. i was unable to
compile the .tar.gz packages so i dled the precompiled versions. this
installed but i cannot get my mac to recognize the red hat box. when i
boot the atalk message ok's so it should be running. what might be
wrong?

---

From: paul beard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 21:45:10 -0800

What do you mean when you say "i cannot get my mac to recognize the red hat
box"? You don't see it in the chooser? Can you access it thru pure IP? If
not, is appletalk loaded (dmesg | grep AppleTalk or lsmod | grep appletalk)?

--
Paul Beard / 206 529 8400
8040 27th Ave NE
Seattle WA 98115

You'll wish that you had done some of the hard things when they were easier
to do.

---

From: Tihen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:12:38 +0100 (CET)

I have found that if a mac client can find the netatalk server using
IP addresses, but not appletalk then the problem is usually, that the Mac
IP settings are not set properly (of course the atalk kernel module may
not be loaded either).

Bill Tihen

---

From: Walt Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 23:05:10 -0800

yes, you do need to compile appletalk into your kernel.  if you need 
help on that, check here:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

i've also been able to add an insmod line to my startup scripts & 
load appletalk on the fly, it works pretty well.  you'll find 
appletalk.o somewhere on a redhat default install.

but what i mean by config's, is to go into the /etc/atalk directory. 
you'll see several files that are used to configure netatalk.  you 
want to read them (and the manual:

http://www.anders.com/projects/netatalk/ ;-)

what do you have AppleVolumes.default set too?  how about afpd.conf, 
atalk.conf, etc.  if you didn't configure the program, you should 
read these & figure out what you want it to do.  don't be alarmed if 
there are extra config's or slightly different one's than you read 
about, just open them up and read, they do a pretty good job of 
explaining what's needed.  if you find something you don't 
understand, search the archive of this newsgroup, and post if you 
have to.  i think you'll find most problems covered many times.

good luck,
w

>Walt Reed wrote:
>
>>  what did you say your config's look like again?
>>
>i tried the precompiled version and it installed fine with no errors. i
>started the server and it seemed to start ok. i had to restart my system
>for some reason and in the boot messages the atalk services start and i
>can see that afpd loaded but when i try to get to the linux box from the
>mac i cannot. it does not show up in the server and when i point the
>chooser to the linux ip it will not reply.
>
>
>btw... is appletalk in the kernal that red hat disributes? and did you
>have to do anything special to your system besides compiling and
>installing?

---

From: Walt Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 23:14:37 -0800

>do you have any idea where i may be able to down load  appletalk to load into
>my kernel?

if you follow the guides for compiling your kernel you will find it 
in the source.  i recommend using the xconfig option, as it's the 
easiest, probably because it's graphical.  if you want to try and 
load it as a module into your existing kernel (which is what i think 
you are really asking) from the prompt, give an su command and cd to 
/.  find -name appletalk.o.  read the man page for insmod and write 
an appropriate command in your rc scripts (/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk, in 
this case).  your line may look something like this:

/sbin/insmod /wherever/appletalk.o/lives/appletalk.o

and you would want to insert it before any real work gets done. when 
i installed a new version of netatalk on redhat 7.0, i did not have 
to do this, & don't know why. i just did it because i knew i was 
going to compile 2.4.2, but it worked with the kernel that came with 
it which i _don't_ believe had appletalk compiled into it (but i 
never checked).  you might try this last.

>AppleVolumes.system - does that point the mac to a directory when it logs in.
>i was kind of lost as to what the .system and .volumes were.

AV.system is used primarily for translation.  use AV.default for your 
shares.  i have a couple of different netatalk servers, so after the 
~ i usually add the name of the machine and a home designation, such 
as:

~	foo_home

on one machine and:

~	bar_home

on another.

so that people don't get confused in the chooser.  i also name the 
shares  differently such as:

/var/www/html	foo_apache

or

/some_directory_i'd_like_to_share	/bar_share

>and anders really
>didn't tell me how to set afpd.conf and atalk.conf.

ah, but did you read the files themselves?  they give pretty good 
documentation.  in afpd i always bind the host to the ip i want, like

	foo	-address 192.168.1.1

but you really don't have to do anything in the file.  it's just a 
habit from using a dual-homed host.

in atalkd.conf, you just have to insert the name of the interface. 
on redhat 7.0 (or any other version of redhat) you would simply place 
an "eth0" at the end of the file.  netatalk will do the rest.

reading these files will give you an idea of what's available and let 
you test out options you might like.  the only one i'd stay away from 
is the noadouble option.  it does some wierd shit on your shares.

have fun,
w