Subject: Long file names

From: [email-masked] (Lee Blevins)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:55:43 -0500

I'm using 1.4b2+asun (or there abouts) and I've noticed an odity that I
hope is fixed in a more recent version.

If I get a file with more than 31 characters, we simply don't see it.

We don't get a truncated versin like slfsld~2, we get NOTHING.

Has this been fixed?

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Jan 2002 12:58:21 -0500

Nope. It's a Feature, not a bug. :) I've thought of a number of ways to
handle it (kludge) but in reality, until AFP3 gets implemented, the
complexities involved are numerous.

-- 

Matthew Keller
Enterprise System Analyst
Computing & Technology Services
Information Services Division
State University of NY at Potsdam
Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/

---

From: Peter Anton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:37:37 -0500

On a side note... 
Good to see you Lee! Last I saw, you were on the comp.publish.prepress
usenet group, complaining about how much Trapwise sucks ;) Yep. we're still
using trapwise... And the offer for a beer if ever you find yourself in
Boston still stands.

    But more on topic... As complex as the ramifications are, kludges simply
are needed in some cases. In our case, the volume in question is available
via netatalk to our internal network, and available to the internet via ftp.
    Coming as they are from various platforms, the files have various
filename lengths, special characters that may cause trouble on some
platforms, etc.
    Coming as they are from various FTP client applications, the special
characters may even be mapped in transit.
    Our LUsers (who can't navigate a Mac ethernet network without an alias)
access the directory to pull uploaded files into our Mac network, so
everything has to be Mac kosher.
    Let's just say that they see alot of ~'s from the renaming scripts I've
created... 

--
Peter John Anton         IT Manager, MicroPRINT
Waltham, Mass., USA               781-890-7500
[email-masked]

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Jan 2002 14:04:13 -0500

On a "pure" Mac net, I can see the value in that for sure. I was
thinking of a little more "harmonious" way to provide "truncated" names
to Mac users without actually touching the filename (eg. not dumbing
everyone else down). ;)

-- 

Matthew Keller

---

From: Hauke Fath <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 11:45:18 +0100

>to Mac users without actually touching the filename (eg. not dumbing

Have a cron job create symlinks to files with long names?

	hauke
-- 
           Hauke Fath                             /~\    The ASCII
  tangro software components GmbH                 \ / Ribbon Campaign
       D-69115 Heidelberg                          X      Against
   Ruf +49-6221-13336-0, Fax -21                  / \   HTML Email!

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jan 2002 10:59:15 -0500

> Have a cron job create symlinks to files with long names?

	If you have 25,000 files in a folder, this gets messy. The cleanest
solution I've found is to have a "Mac Files" folder and an "everything
else" folder -- The "Mac Files" folder contains symlinks to the
files/folders in the "everything else" folder, mangled where necessary.
Again, this is best handled by cron/at and not within netatalk.

-- 

Matthew Keller

---

From: Peter Anton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:56:29 -0500

on 1/31/02 10:59 AM, Matthew Keller at [email-masked] wrote:

> If you have 25,000 files in a folder, this gets messy.
Yep... Lucky for us, the files are handled, moved and stored all but
immediately...

> Again, this is best handled by cron/at and not within netatalk.
... in our case, the files are "placed" into the netatalk folder via an FTP
server, by granting access to ftp clients. The FTP server we use has a
feature which can execute any given script after an upload has been
completed, so the renaming is handled immediately.

But I like the idea of using sym links instead of actually renaming the
file. Other than myself, the only people who handle our netatalk published
files are Mac users, so renaming didn't hurt another, say, Wintel user. But
the purist in me now wants to toy around...

It's a messy messy world we IT people live in.
--
Peter John Anton         IT Manager, MicroPRINT
Waltham, Mass., USA               781-890-7500
[email-masked]

---

From: Simon Hobson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:42:10 +0000

Peter Anton wrote:

>Other than myself, the only people who handle our netatalk published
>files are Mac users, so renaming didn't hurt another, say, Wintel user.

And remember, it isn't sooo long ago that we had the same problem the other
way round in that Mac users had to mess around with a poxy 8 characters for
compatibility !

Simon

-
Simon Hobson, Technical Services Engineer
Colony Gift Corporation Limited
Lindal in Furness, Ulverston, Cumbria, LA12 0LD
Tel 01229 461100, Fax 01229 461101

Registered in England No. 1499611
Regd. Office : 100 New Bridge Street, London, EC4V 6JA.

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Feb 2002 11:44:27 -0500

> way round in that Mac users had to mess around with a poxy 8 characters for

	Yah, it was called "pre 1994", let's not go down this road.

-- 

Matthew Keller