Subject: FW: Netatalk issues

From: "Bryan Tholen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:43:30 -0500

Dont know if anyone read this the first time I sent it. Basically I need to
figure out a way to migrate from DAVE resouce.frk to netatalk .AppleDouble
with out recopying 15gigs of Quark/Illustrator files. The fixit4.11
extension to Quark makes it behave "better" but I still get the occasional
"File is Locked" error and have to reboot. what is the compile time flag to
use the old FLOCK scheme? This seems to have better results. Anyone having
any problems using this besides the obvious locking issues between
samba/netatalk? Also, has anyone run into the problem copying folder from
the server to a client and back again I descibed below? It seems that the
.AppleDouble folder should be replace or rebuild when copying the folder
back to the server to avoid such problems. Thanks for your time and any info
you can give me on these issues.

Bryan

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan Tholen [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 2:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Netatalk issues

I have been using DAVE from thursby software with one of my clients running
a linux 2.2.17 server with the netatalk-asun2.1.4. It is a small network
about 30 users; 25 PCs and 5 Mac clients. I have one of the Mac guys running
netatalk for testing and he seems to like it however I have a couple of
problems that I need to work out.

is there anyway to move the resource.frk information stored by DAVE to
.AppleDouble format to maintain the resource fork for all of the files on
the server if we switch to Netatalk? This client has about 15gigs worth of
image files/quark docs that I dont want to have to transfer to a Mac and
back to the server if I can avoid it. I need the resource forks because they
contain preview information for image files and are needed for fonts I am
using.

when copying a folder from the server to a Mac client the hidden folder
.AppleDouble is copied along with it. If you change/delete or add a file to
the folder and copy it back to the server so of the files disappear or are
mangled because of the stale .AppleDouble folder that is copied. Maybe there
is an option on the client to aviod hidden files? If not is there anyway to
turn off transfer of the .AppleDouble folder down to the client?

Is there any option for netatalk to truncate filenames longer than the Mac
limit (31 i believe) so they may be viewed on a Mac client from the server?

BTW, I have upgraded all my clients with the Quark Express 4.11fixit
extension and they seem to be working with out any of the "File is locked"
errors we had seen before. Can anyone else confirm that this extension fixes
the problem? I am still not convinced and have even contemplated moving back
to FLOCKS if the problem pops up again.

Thanks for your time.

---

From: Mac Conin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 21:03:56 +0200

Hmmm

> figure out a way to migrate from DAVE resouce.frk to netatalk .AppleDouble

I don't know much about DAVE, but deleting the .AppleDouble files will cause
in a rebuilding when users logging in next time.

> use the old FLOCK scheme? This seems to have better results.

./configure --with-flock-locks

should work.

Anyone having
> back to the server to avoid such problems. 

no not yet

-- 
--schnipp-- 
best regards
-----------------------------------------------------------
Mac Conin                        EUC Online Service GmbH
[email-masked]                    D 50676 Koeln
http://www.euc.de                
tel : +49-221-923 27 33          fax : +49-221-239 651
-----------------------------------------------------------