Subject: Netatalk data backup with CD-R

From: "Nathaniel Pendleton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 02:12:06 -0400

Is there a recommended way to backup my MacOS files
on my Linux netatalk server?

I have SCSI CD-R and a SCSI PCI card to setup on Linux.

What file format on the CD-R should / can I use?
HFS? can I make an HFS CD-R from linux? to reliably open on MacOS.
ext2? can I record all the .AppleDouble and permissions onto an ext2 CD-R?
                  But be forced to linux to recover.
ISO9660? can I use the very portable ISO9660 and .AppleDouble?
                  But then how can I reliably reconstitute type/creator and
resource fork
                  on a MacOS file stored on ISO9660?

OR should I move everything across the network to a MacOS machine with CD-R?
That would be really annoying.

-Nathaniel

---

From: Carsten Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:59:17 +0200

> That would be really annoying.

Look at the mkhybrid(8) man page, there is a --netatalk option.
Mkhybrid creates an ISO9660 file system image with HFS extension.
You can write this image via e.g. cdrecord(1) onto your cd-r.
This will be exactly what you want.

HTH, regards

	Carsten