Subject: okay, so what version should I use with 10.1?

From: "Chris Garrigues" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:04:23 -0500

I just got my 10.1 and was really hoping that it could talk to my linux box.

Unfortunately it doesn't.  I'm running 1.5pre6 because that was the most 
recent RPM I could find.

Should I be upgrading to 1.5pre8, and if so, does anybody already have an RPM. 
If not, I'll build my own RPM, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Chris

-- 
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com
4314 Avenue C                   
Austin, TX  78751-3709		+1 512 374 0500

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html 

    The Greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the
      hijacking of morality by religion.  However valuable -- even
      necessary -- that may have been in enforcing good behavior on
      primitive peoples, their association is now counterproductive.
      Yet at the very moment when they should be decoupled,
      sanctimonious nitwits are calling for a return to morals based
      on superstition.
				--- Arthur C. Clarke

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:20:49 +0200

If you use osX, why dont you use samba?

/mikko

---

From: David <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:31:58 -0400

Pre7 and Pre8 both seem to work well.  Haven't seen anything funny happen 
yet.  I made sure I didn't compile with "enable-lastdid", I wanted to make 
sure it used the new DID stuff.  I do remember reading about the old system 
and that it has problems on large filesystems.  Was bit by that problem 
before, suddenly disappearing files and folders with DID error messages in 
the logs.

David Shaub

> If not, I'll build my own RPM, but I thought I'd ask here first.

<snip>

---

From: "Chris Garrigues" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:54:02 -0500

> From:  [email-masked]
> Date:  Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:20:49 +0200
>

Well...

1) I've always used atalk in the past.

2) It hadn't occured to me.

3) I can't figure out how.  Searching for smb tells me "Choose Connect To 
Server from the Finder's Go menu, then browse for the server or enter its 
address.  All I see is the appletalk server, not the SMB server.  How do I 
tell it to use SMB?

Chris

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 00:12:19 +0200

I never used osX but i can tell you that I would use
samba or NFS over netatalk anyday.

All the best /Mikko

---

From: "Chad Leigh -- ObjectWerks Inc." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 18:21:09 -0400

The reason you want to use netatlk and not samba or nfs is that netatalk 
talks the apple language of 2-forked files and apple file meta data.  
NFS and samba don't.  atalk over tcp is very fast and works well.  And 
netatlk seems to be ok.

Chad

---

From: David <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 18:21:27 -0400

smb://address/share

Note, you have to specify the shared resource because you cannot browse 
them and select.

---

From: JW <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:32:11 -0500

>samba or NFS over netatalk anyday.

I have used all three and like apple talk the best.

The first time I used netatalk on SuSE 7.1 it worked flawlessly without me setting up anything. SMB takes a fair bit of configurating.

I upgraded the box and broke netatalk, never had time to fix it.

NFS is a pain to set up and SMB is not a very High-Availability network protocol, IMO.

In short, I don't see any good reason to use anything besides Apple Talk.

>>> If you use osX, why dont you use samba?

Because OX X 10.1's implementation of SMB is pitiful. It's worse then smb:// browsing in Konqueror.

The connect to box does not browse the network at all, you have to feed it the full URL to a share: smb://servername/sharename

>>address.  All I see is the appletalk server, not the SMB server.  How do I

You can't. You just have to give it a URL - see above.

>>Chris

----------------------------------------------------
Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Cedar Creek Software     http://www.cedarcreeksoftware.com
Central Texas IT     http://www.centraltexasit.com

---

From: "Chris Garrigues" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:33:08 -0500

> From:  "Chad Leigh -- ObjectWerks Inc." <[email-masked]>
> Date:  Thu, 11 Oct 2001 18:21:09 -0400
>

Also, I'd question the sanity of anyone who prefered NFS over pretty much 
anything else, except probably abominations like netbios.  They don't call
it the Nightmare File System for nothing.

Chris

---

From: "Chris Garrigues" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:39:07 -0500

> From:  David <[email-masked]>
> Date:  Thu, 11 Oct 2001 18:21:27 -0400
>
> smb://address/share
> 

Thanks...that works.

Between the inability to browse and the loss of my resource forks and meta 
data, it's pretty close to useless, but it does work.

I'm tired today.  I'm going to work on building myself an RPM of 
netatalk-1.5pre8 tomorrow.  (I need an RPM because I'm supporting multiple 
servers and I do all my software management via RPM.)

Chris

---

From: Karen A Swanberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:47:51 -0500 (CDT)

> If not, I'll build my own RPM, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Which linux are you using?

These are the RPM's etc. of which I am aware:

FreeBSD - port: /usr/ports/net/netatalk - maintained by Joe Clark

SUSE - ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/7.2/suse/n2/netatalk.rpm

OpenBSD - port: /usr/ports/net/netatalk/ (not actively maintained, as far
as I can tell, and it's pretty old.)

Debian -
http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-us/pool/non-US/main/n/netatalk/ (note,
this iss in the non-U.S. distrib, and is in the non-stable section.
Maintained by Sebastian)

If anyone knows of any more, let me know and I'll add them into the FAQ
I'm working on.

-Karen

-                                                                  -
    Karen Swanberg | Sys Admin | Dept. of Geology and Geophysics    
206 Pillsbury Hall | 310 Pillsbury Ave. SE | University of Minnesota
     Minneapolis, MN 55455  (612) 624-6541  (612) 625-3819 (f)

              * <---- Tribble   . <--- Tribble.tgz

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 01:22:47 +0200

> this iss in the non-U.S. distrib, and is in the non-stable section.

But note that non-us means "not to be exported from the U.S.", and not
"not for use in the U.S.". It may be legally forbidden to export the
software in non-us from the U.S., but since non-us.debian.org is located
in the Netherlands (and I am located in Germany), there shouldn't be any
problems for anybody downloading and using this.

Also, all this doesn't apply to netatalk, since the Debian version isn't
linked against OpenSSL anymore. (The linking against it was the original
reason to move netatalk to non-us. And since I want to link against it
again when the legal problems[1] are resolved, I didn't bother to move it
back.)

 - Sebastian

[1] The legal problem is that netatalk is now GPL'ed and OpenSSL can't
    be linked against GPL'ed programs (accordings to the FSF).

---

From: Kim Holburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:36:56 +1000

>data, it's pretty close to useless, but it does work.

A document at apple somewhere warns that if you open more than one 
smb share in 10.1 you will get a kernel panic!!!

>Content-Type: application/pgp-signature
>
>Attachment converted: kaliana:Untitled 24 (????/----) (000431A5)

-- 
--
Kim Holburn  Network Consultant  P/F: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: [email-masked] - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
      Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)

---

From: Chip Mefford <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 08:09:20 -0400

> > If you use osX, why dont you use samba?

I tried this, and just got extremely frustrated,
as has been my experience with 10.x

Under the users/username/Documents directory, I make
a "test" directory, 

ran mount, 

mount -t smbfs //sambaserver/sharename
/"path"/username/Documents/test

and logged in just fine.

Then I drilled to the test director with the finder, but
each time I tried to open any document, or use anything
on the mounted directory, I get prompted for a 
login, so I log in, and then I get a shortcut/alias on 
the desktop to the file, click on that, get prompted to
log in, I log in, get a shortcut/alias and so on and so
on. 

What would be the correct way to do this?

---

From: "Chris Garrigues" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:18:54 -0500

> From:  Karen A Swanberg <[email-masked]>
> Date:  Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:47:51 -0500 (CDT)
>
redhat...more or less.
>               * <---- Tribble   . <--- Tribble.tgz
cute...

---

From: David <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:47:02 -0400

I second that, being frustrated.  Appleshare just seems to be the best file 
sharing system overall.  Samba is great as well, but it seems that 
Appleshare has better password encrytion available.  It is certainly better 
than NFS or SMB on MacOS(X or 9), both of which did not do well in OSX 10.
0.x or 10.1.

I get a kick out of the fact that Netatalk seems to be twice or more as 
fast as Apple's Appleshare on OSX.  :)

Just my $0.07.

David Shaub