Subject: [Fwd: Solaris 8 and DDP]

From: Xiaping Lin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:21:31 +1000

Hi

Thank for the tip. I think my current problem with Netatalk not broadcasting
may be to do the ddp not working
under sparc64 solaris8.

Can anyone tell me where I can get 2.1.4asun-pre39 source ? What is "pre39"
means here? I don't have SUN CC
compiler. If I don't uncomment "sparc64=true" in  source/sys/solaris/Makefile,
Will ddp compile using gcc ?

Looking forward for your reply !

Hauke Fath wrote:

> At 11:09 Uhr +0000 14.11.2001, Matthew Hallam wrote:
> >So am I right in thinking that nobody has managed to get DDP working under
> >Solaris 8 ? (only AppleTalk over IP)
>
> -- on sparc64, apparently.
>
> 2.1.4asun-pre39 works fine for me on a ss10 with Solarin 8.
>
>         hauke
> --
> Hauke Fath                        tangro software components GmbH
>                                          D-69115 Heidelberg
> [email-masked]                       Ruf +49-6221-13336-0, Fax -21

--
Xiaping Lin
Information Technology
Queensland Institute of Medical Research
E-mail: [email-masked]
Ph:    61-7-33620231
fax:   61-7-33620111

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:23:33 +0100

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:21:31 +1000, Xiaping Lin wrote:

> I think my current problem with Netatalk not broadcasting may be to do the ddp
> not working under sparc64 solaris8.

There are know issues with some network hardware originally manufactured by
sun. Quad-FastEthernet-cards for example were known to not support multicast
correctly. This affected other afp-/appletalk-stacks (like helios'
ethershare) also. (the differences between broadcasting and multicasting are
explained here for example: <http://www.pmg.com/otw_nwsl/96_sm_apple.htm>)

> Can anyone tell me where I can get 2.1.4asun-pre39 source ?

Take a look at: <ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing/>

> What is "pre39" means here?

It's a pre-release, not for production purposes. Search google for "asun
pre" (and mix it with "cobalt" and "netatalk" too) and read this article
<http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/2000/0297.html> to find
out what you will get ;-)

Be careful when using pre39. There the "persistent DID kludge" was invoked
to create fixed directory ids instead of incrementing them on a per-client
base. But this hack is known to produce data-loss under some circumstances
(duplicate DIDs).

<http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/2000/3251.html>
<http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/2000/3325.html>

Best regards,

Thomas