Subject: Re: Apple, Netatalk, OS X

From: Ian Wojtowicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:13:19 -0800

Hi Richard.

> I thought OS X would work fine with NFS.

Does NFS on OS X support all the great features we expect from appletalk
file servers like custom icons, persistent icon arrangements (and window
locations), robust file aliases, etc.? Or are these features abstracted away
from the filesystem/protocol layer?

___________________________________________________________________________
ian wojtowicz                                                http://woj.com

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:20:54 +1100

> from the filesystem/protocol layer?

 NFS assumes a little to much trust between the client and server and
also assumes some sort of centralised login. So unless you want to
convert your unix machine to netinfo and have all Mac users login to the
netinfo 'domain', NFS isnt a solution.
 I never got OSX and our Digital Unix server to speak NFS to one another
anyway....

-- 
Matthew Geier			[email-masked]
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713
Sydney University

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 10:49:50 -0600 (CST)

No.

---

From: Ian Wojtowicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 05:21:04 -0800

My netatalk session closes down unexpectedly whenever I try reading or
transferring files. The /var/log/messages file indicates the following:

Feb 21 01:00:31 home afpd[8749]: 66.00KB read, 200.70KB written
Feb 21 01:00:31 home afpd[7147]: server_child[1] 8749 exited 1

Any ideas? Could this be a DNS issue of some kind?