Subject: Compiling with DES etc...

From: "Keith Baker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:21:03 -0500

What do I need to do to get encrypted Appletalk connections.  I am using
Redhat 6.2 on an Alpha.  I got the stock 1.3.3 version running but its butt
slow and I have no encryption.  RH 6.2 comes with Kerberos V (I think its 5
anyhow)...  libdes seems to be included in a wierd form
(/usr/kerberos/include/kerberosIV/des.h exists for example)...  my question
is...  can I get appletalk to do DES or Kerberos for authentication?  I hate
plaintext!
                                                                    Thanks
for you time,

Keith

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:26:36 -0800 (PST)

> is...  can I get appletalk to do DES or Kerberos for authentication?  I hate

You'll need to install the OpenSSL libraries first.  Then grab the latest
tar.gz file from http://netatalk.sourceforge.net.

I've never used the Kerberos support in Netatalk, but there are a couple
other methods of doing encrypted logins.  One type is randnum and
rand2num, in which the client and server exchange random numbers to
authenticate (I'm ignorant of the details).  The downside of
randnum/rand2num is that you have to store paswords in cleartext on the
server, which may be a problem.

The other encrypted login method is DHX.  This builds an SSL-like
connection to send the password to the server.  It does not require any
changes to your backend password storage method.  It can use PAM as well.

Hope this helps,
	Andy

---

From: "Heath Henderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 06:33:53 -0600

I need to make a dropbox that is writeable only by students and R/W possible
by staff.  I was going to group the student login, but make the owner the
staff member.  What do I need to enter into the .AppleVolumes for the
students to mount it as write only?  and for the Staff member to have R/W
access to it?

Thanks in advance.

Heath Henderson

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 09:22:52 -0500

> students to mount it as write only?  and for the Staff member to have R/W

In your AppleVolumes.default file, set the rolist and rwlist options
with the list of users and groups that you want to have access.

Example:

/here	"My Share"	rolist:read,@readgroup rwlist:write,@writegroup

That should do it.

jeff