Subject: OS X...

From: Jason Quigley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:41:25 +0100

Hi everybody!

Now that we've got a firm release date for OSX (March 24th), I'd like to know if anybody has been able to make this OS play well with Netatalk? If so, which version.

I would also be interested in compiling a list of OS's people are using to host Netatalk, hardware used and file systems, etc. I am toying with the idea of putting this into a database in order to find the most reliable/cost effective platform. Any comments?

Thanks,
Jason.

---

From: Maurice Volaski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:36:57 -0500

>Hi everybody!
>
>Now that we've got a firm release date for OSX (March 24th), I'd 
>like to know if anybody has been able to make this OS play well with 
>Netatalk? If so, which version.
>
>I would also be interested in compiling a list of OS's people are 
>using to host Netatalk, hardware used and file systems, etc. I am 
>toying with the idea of putting this into a database in order to 
>find the most reliable/cost effective platform. Any comments?

Check out the third paragraph below...

I want to let people know there are two issues with Mac OS X Server 
1.2. There is no good reason to believe that the Mac OS X Beta is not 
similarly affected.

The first problem occurs when attempting to fsck a UFS volume. fsck 
will hang when executed. The problem occurs when using the Infortrend 
IFT-3102U2G RAID controller on a 400GB volume. This hang will occur 
even on a freshly-initialized disk in single-user mode. This problem 
may be related to the volume size and not the RAID controller (as I 
had previously believed). If you are using a relatively large disk or 
any type of hardware RAID, you should backup your data and then test 
whether a forced fsck works.

The second problem concerns HFS+. It happens when using netatalk or 
samba to copy very large files (>> 100 MB) to the server, which will 
cause the server (and hence the client) to stall. The larger the file 
the longer the stall. For example, a 760MB file stalls for about 46 
seconds. For files about 1 GB in size, the copy can fail and the 
connection to the server lost!
Under Apple File Services, this stall occurs only when the file copy 
is cancelled during mid-copy. This issue appears to occur on all HFS+ 
formatted volumes.
-- 

Maurice Volaski, [email-masked]
Computing Support, Rose F. Kennedy Center
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:19:53 -0800

I've noticed this when simply copying files from my Zip drive to a linux 
ext2 partition as well.  I have a theory that it's buffering the read, 
stops when the buffer is full to write the data to the hard drive, and then 
continues.  If that's what it is, an increase in RAM may speed things up 
(or at least delay the system stall).

At 11:36 AM 1/11/01 -0500, Maurice Volaski wrote:
>>Hi everybody!
>>
>>Now that we've got a firm release date for OSX (March 24th), I'd like to 
>>know if anybody has been able to make this OS play well with Netatalk? If 
>>so, which version.
>>
>>I would also be interested in compiling a list of OS's people are using 
>>to host Netatalk, hardware used and file systems, etc. I am toying with 
>>the idea of putting this into a database in order to find the most 
>>reliable/cost effective platform. Any comments?
>
>I want to let people know there are two issues with Mac OS X Server 1.2. 
>There is no good reason to believe that the Mac OS X Beta is not similarly 
>affected.
>
>The first problem occurs when attempting to fsck a UFS volume. fsck will 
>hang when executed. The problem occurs when using the Infortrend 
>IFT-3102U2G RAID controller on a 400GB volume. This hang will occur even 
>on a freshly-initialized disk in single-user mode. This problem may be 
>related to the volume size and not the RAID controller (as I had 
>previously believed). If you are using a relatively large disk or any type 
>of hardware RAID, you should backup your data and then test whether a 
>forced fsck works.
>
>The second problem concerns HFS+. It happens when using netatalk or samba 
>to copy very large files (>> 100 MB) to the server, which will cause the 
>server (and hence the client) to stall. The larger the file the longer the 
>stall. For example, a 760MB file stalls for about 46 seconds. For files 
>about 1 GB in size, the copy can fail and the connection to the server lost!
>Under Apple File Services, this stall occurs only when the file copy is 
>cancelled during mid-copy. This issue appears to occur on all HFS+ 
>formatted volumes.
>--
>

---

From: Maurice Volaski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:00:57 -0500

>I've noticed this when simply copying files from my Zip drive to a 
>linux ext2 partition as well.  I have a theory that it's buffering 
>the read, stops when the buffer is full to write the data to the 
>hard drive, and then continues.  If that's what it is, an increase 
>in RAM may speed things up (or at least delay the system stall).
>

The problem I am referring to is due to Mac OS X Server's 
misbehavior, not netatalk.
--