Subject: netatalk 2.1.4pre37 with OS X 10.0.1 as a client (kernel panic)

From: Steven Karel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 11:28:03 -0400 (EDT)

Update for interested parties on behavior of netatalk with OS X as a
client after upgrading to 10.0.1

Server side: Linux RH 6.2 / kernel. 2.2.19 / netatalk 2.1.4pre37

I will try 1.5pre6 with OS X sometime soon and report back.

Downloading files:

Generally as before with 10.0.0. I can connect to the server and download
files, at a decent speed. However, if I try to move more than about
1000 files at a time, I get error -43. If I download files in smaller
groups they're all fine.

Uploading files:

Not so good. Sometimes it works, for small batches of files. A couple of
times I got "operation not completed, insufficient privileges". On two
occasions, I managed to crash OS X with a kernel panic, as follows:

panic(cpu 0): File afpfs.kmodproj/afpfs_vfsutils.c, line 831: assertion
'(hp->h_meta->h_usecount>=1) && (hp->h_meta_h_usecount<=2)' failed
backtrace: 0x0008bdb4 0x0002a100 0x077b0a68 0x077aaeb8 0x077a35f4
0x000be80c 0x000b82ef 0x0009cce4 0x00098f40 0x6d65776f
kernel modules in backtrace: afpfs_fs(156)@0x779c000
Debugger(panic)
Waiting for remote debugger connection
Continue 'c'
Reboot 'r'

-- 
Steven Karel, Ph.D.
Biology Department, Brandeis Univ, MS 008
415 South St Waltham MA 02454-9110
TEL 781 736 3104   FAX 781 736 3107