Subject: problem of printing with papd on RH7.1 (fwd)

From: Jin Zhao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:16:54 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I get into a prinnting problem which I can't figure out. 

We have a RH7.1 box with netatalk-1.5pre6 setup. The printer is a
HP-LaserJet1200 connected to the LAN. A Mac OS 8.6 client can see this
priner named by papd, and set up the printer as "generic". When print from
this client, nothing come out of the printer and no error message appear
on both Mac client and RH7.1 system log. 

Any local print job on the RH7.1 box works fine.

Can anybody give some lights on this ?

The following is the contents of related files

papd.conf
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
hplj1200:\
                  :pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Phplj1200:\
                  :sp:\
                  :ca:\
                  :am=uams_guest.so,uams_pam.so:\
                  :pd=/usr/share/postscript/ppd/HP_LaserJet_1200.PPD:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

/etc/printcap
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
hplj1200:\
        :sh:\
        :ml=0:\
        :mx=0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hplj1200:\
        :rm=192.168.0.26:\
        :lpd_bounce=true:\
        :if=/usr/share/printconf/mf_wrapper:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

/var/log/message
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aug 2 16:09:15 gege papd[7495]: child 7583 for "hplj1200" from 41201.138
Aug 2 16:09:15 gege papd[7583]: Login NoAuthUAM: zhaojin 
Aug 2 16:09:15 gege papd[7495]: child 7583 done 
Aug 2 16:09:20 gege papd[7495]: child 7584 for "hplj1200" from 41201.138
Aug 2 16:09:20 gege papd[7584]: Login NoAuthUAM: zhaojin 
Aug 2 16:09:21 gege papd[7495]: child 7584 done
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

Jin

---

From: Jin Zhao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 13:52:03 -0500 (CDT)

The problem I posted yesterday was solved. In fact, I changed nothing to
my system(both linux netatalk server and mac clients), but everything
works well now. Weiod, isn'it ?

Another question here.

It appears papd require us to give a proper PPD file for each printer to
work. RedHat's printconf tool appears to use LPRng/foomatic, which doesn't
use PPD at all. What I did is fetching related CUPs ppd files from
linuxprinting.org, and use them for papd. This strategy works but not so
convenient. 

Can anybody explain why papd always require PPD files, although local
printing on RedHat Netatalk server works well without ppd ?

Also, it appears using a CUPS system is easier to be integerated with
papd. 

Thanks, 

Jin