Subject: Re: mac manager

From: "Matt Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 07:46:55 -0500

We are running MacManager 1.4.1 using a BSD4.4 box with netatalk1.5p8. 
The only problem we have is that Inspiration(and kidspiration) will not
save directly to the server.  This is a documented issue with
inspiration, they say to run 1.42+asun2.1.3  Of course, this verion
disconnects the user when they try to save large files.  Inspiration
promises to fix the problem with the next release.  Set your share
points up just like you would an appleshareIP server.  and hey, the
server doesn't crash and there are no fragmenation issues!

Matt

****************************************
Matt Smith - Network Analyst - Arlington Public Schools
"I have found that most people are about as happy as they make
up their minds to be" - Lincoln
****************************************

>>> Jeremy Green <[email-masked]> 12/06/01 09:58PM >>>
<snip>
I have been trying to figure out if anyone has been working on 
get mac manager functionality for a linux server.  I want to be able 
to have the users log into a mac with the multiple user setup and 
have all of their prefs store on the server.<snip>

---

From: Jeremy Green <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 12:59:35 -0500

I guess I need to clarify my previous email.  :)
We don't have a MacOSX Server at all so I am trying to figure out if 
it is possible to get netatalk to do the authentication for the Macs. 
I want a user to be able to log into the mac only if they have an 
account set up on our linux box.  I don't have a machine with 
Macintosh Manager on it at all I want the linux box to take the place 
of the Macintosh manager.
has anyone looked into this?
Thanks,

			-Jeremy

---

From: Rob Lineweaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 16:11:22 -0500

Jeremy,

As far as I know, nobody has even attempted to reverse-engineer the
Macintosh Manager protocol and I know of no product either open source or
commercial which can replace Apple's MM server for authentication when using
MM client.

Now, as a previous poster mentioned it is quite possible to use a MacOS
(ASIP or X) MM server for authentication and still store users' documents
and prefs on a Netatalk box.  But you're not going to be able to use the MM
client without having a MacOS MM server.

The MM protocol would be difficult to reverse engineer as (AFAIK) it is not
a published protocol (like AFP is) and any project that attempts to spoof
the MM server will probably have a hard time keeping up with Apple making
changes to the protocol.  Kinda like the open source projects that chase AOL
around trying to reverse engineer the AIM protocol.  :)

Rob Lineweaver
:)