Subject: Basic permissions questions

From: "Scott Burnham" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:26:35 -0500

Hello,

I have a LinuxPPC 2000 box running netatalk1.4b2+asun 2.1.3-7. The sole
share is a RAID  (/mnt/gsraid). I don't use individual .AppleVolumes files;
this is just one big chunk of storage for a few graphics artists.

Basically, all works fine, I sorted out user/group configurations & logins,
but there are two things that bug me:

1. Is there a secret to getting each user a trash folder?

2. Is it normal for two users to be able to open the same document at the
same time? This leads to a "last person to save wins" situation which could
be sort of tragic.

Thanks to all,

Scott Burnham
Creative Ink

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:10:29 -0800 (PST)

> 1. Is there a secret to getting each user a trash folder?

I've noticed that MacOS seems to handle that on its own.  I've found no
code in netatalk to specifically handle the trash, and it has worked fine
in all of my tests, starting with 1.4b2+asun2.1.4

> same time? This leads to a "last person to save wins" situation which could

I saw another posting about file locking earlier today.  I've never had a
problem with it.  If two users open up the same Word file on the server,
for example, the second person to access it is asked if they want to open
it read-only since the file is already in use by someone else.  *shrug*

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/

---

From: Basil Hussain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:56:35 +0000

Hi,

>> same time? This leads to a "last person to save wins" situation which could

Well, that's why people invented version control systems, like CVS and MS
SourceSafe... :)

> it read-only since the file is already in use by someone else.  *shrug*

It sounds to me like that's maybe just MS Word doing that itself somehow.
Through various versions of Netatalk installed on our servers I've never
seen this happen using something like BBEdit or Photoshop on shared files.

Regards,

------------------------------------------------
Basil Hussain ([email-masked])

---

From: "HIROSE, Masaaki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:33:13 +0900

Hello,

on "Re: Basic permissions questions"
   <[email-masked]>
at Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:56:35 +0000

> seen this happen using something like BBEdit or Photoshop on shared files.

Simple Text does.

Netatalk locks (flock() or fcntl()) resource fork file. On the other
hand, Samba locks (fcntl()) actual file (data fork).

I think,
if Netatalk locks data fork file (or Samba locks resource fork file),
users of Netatalk and Samba can open file exclusively with application
which supported lock system.

# I don't know why Netatalk locks resource fork not data fork.

How about this idea?

-- 
HIROSE, Masaaki