Subject: Re: Connection

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 18:06:01 -0800

> If I use rpm for installation, do I need to recompile my kernel and which
> directory would be the netatalk be installed in?
> 
> Thank you.

Mike,

You really need to read documentation. No, you don't need to recompile your
kernel. You haven't needed to recompile your kernel for years, as far as I
know.

If you're using RH7, download the installer, and do this:

[root@linux]# rpm -i netatalk-1.5pre6-1rh7.i386.rpm
[root@linux]# /sbin/insmod appletalk
[root@linux]# /etc/init.d/atalk start

After it's started up, check it out. If it works, _then_ you should fiddle
with your config files.

Netatalk will be installed in various directories. After you've installed
it, for a list of where the files are, do this command:

[root@linux]# rpm -ql netatalk

If you want to edit the configuration files, do so in /etc/atalk. If you
want to start or stop it, do:

/etc/init.d/atalk stop

...or...

/etc/init.d/atalk start

Also, make sure you're running the latest available version of AppleShare
Client on the 8.1 machine.

Steve