Subject: RE: atalkd under solaris 8

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:10:49 -0800

In Solaris, you need to put the interface (le0, eri0, etc) in the
atalkd.conf.

Now if I could just get authenticated with netatalk 1.5.1.1 in Solaris....
I can only login as guest. And I've had netatalk working on Solaris for
months!!!!

> ----------
> From: 	Sebastian Rittau
> Sent: 	Friday, February 15, 2002 2:17 PM
> To: 	[email-masked]
> Subject: 	Re: atalkd under solaris 8
> 
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 03:32:32PM +0100, Andreas Westendörpf wrote:
> 
> > i'm currently having some difficulties configuring an appletalk
> fileserver 
> > under solaris8. i tried to get netatalk v1.5.1.1 working. what a pain in
> 
> > the a**. finally it compiled without errors,
> 
> *Please* tell us about the errors if you can. We would really like to
> fix them.
> 
> > but then, when i start atalkd 
> > it says:
> > "atalkd: zero interfaces, exiting."
> > 
> > yes, i did create a file in /usr/local/atalkd/etc/ called atalkd.conf
> with 
> > the name of my ethernet-device in it (hme0).
> > but still it doesn't work. same effect when i remove the atalkd.conf
> file.
> 
> Are you sure that atalkd looks in /usr/local/atalkd/etc? If in doubt,
> please use a utility like strace to find out.
> 
>  - Sebastian
> 
>

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 02:47:58 +0100

> I can only login as guest. And I've had netatalk working on Solaris for

Are the uams in the right directory? Is this directory really searched
by afpd? Do you use PAM? What does your PAM file look like? Is the PAM
file in the right directory? Is that directory really searched by afpd?

 - Sebastian

---

From: Tyler Hardison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 17:57:16 -0800

Hi everyone, 

    Can anyone tell me what the current issues with OS-X based machines and
netatalk? 

Thanks!

Tyler.

---

From: Kyle Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 22:48:23 -0500

>   Can anyone tell me what the current issues with OS-X based machines and

Just this morning I asked just the same thing.  The one big one seems to be
that you can't keep a server mounted via the GUI.  Even with 1.5.1.1 I get a
disconnect message right after the connect.  One of our Linux geeks sent me
this link:

<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=netatalk&m=101290312429385&w=2>

It basically steps through how to get logging going to test.  The odd thing
was that I was able to get the Netatalk volume mounted using the CLI, but
not the GUI.  I took both logs and have forwarded them to our Apple SE to
see if he can get it escalated.  BTW, the message speaks of launching the
Finder from the CLI, but doesn't give the command, so here it is:

%/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/./Finder

The really thing I discovered was that not only can I mount the volume using
the CLI, but I can also do it from the Classic Chooser (and have the volumes
available to OSX apps).

I've taken so long getting past this issue, I haven't had time to find any
other issues.  '-)

/kyle
---
Kyle Johnson                                     [email-masked]
Manager, Information Systems        http://www.studentaffairs.duke.edu
Duke University Student Affairs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The box said 'Requires Windows 95, or better.' So I bought a Macintosh.

---

From: Rick Zeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 23:02:58 -0500

> <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=netatalk&m=101290312429385&w=2>

I had a problem mounting Netware shares (via AFP/IP) and found this to be
the solution for gigabit-Ethernet Macs:

Add to your /etc/rc file (as a superuser):
sysctl -w net.link.ether.inet.apple_hwcksum_rx=0

 at the second to last line (right before the exit).  Reboot, and mounts
should work normally.

---

From: "Tyler Hardison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 22:42:26 -0000

Well here is a list of what I have found so far:

* No mounts in GUI.
    1. This works on my machine 10.1.2 I believe. With the default install.
        If someone would like a shell account on my machine to play with
this let me know.
* Server mounts then promptly dismounts.
    1. Its fascinating to note that I had this problem at first too. But
compiling the current source
        seems to have eliminated this problem. Go figure.

Let me add my experiences:

* Large ammounts of files being copied causes a -43 error (too many open
files) or -50 (Error in User Param List?)
    1. Is darwin atempting to open more files at one time then OS9 would? Is
this possible?
    2. Could this be why at first it looks like darwin is going to kick
OS9's butt on the file copy speed? Food for thought.

Anyone want to add to this list. I am trying to find a common thread to the
existing problems.

Thanks

Tyler Hardison
Systems Technician
The Modesto Bee
(209) 578-2264

P.S. Anyone here using this in a large scale enviroment? If so I would like
testimony. I am trying to put together a
proposal to get rid of our NT/2000 file servers.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Zeman" <[email-masked]>
To: "Kyle Johnson" <[email-masked]>; "Netatalk"
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2002 4:02 AM
Subject: Re: MacOS-X issues.

---

From: Kyle Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 07:29:51 -0500

> sysctl -w net.link.ether.inet.apple_hwcksum_rx=0

This didn't help me on my Powerbook from either the wireless network or the
wired one.

/kyle
---
Whatever happens, behave like you meant it to happen.

---

From: Kyle Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 08:15:17 -0500

On 2/15/02 5:42 PM, "Tyler Hardison" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> compiling the current source seems to have eliminated this problem.
> Go figure.

I've been using a RPM of 1.5.1.1 for Redhat that someone else prepared.  Do
you have the config options you used to compile it?  Maybe I can compare and
see what is different.

Also, adding the login message now allows me to mount the server.  I'm still
testing regarding the disconnect after awhile.

/kyle
---
Ham and Eggs. Just a day's work for a chicken but a lifetime commitment
for a pig.

---

From: Rick Zeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 10:53:25 -0500

> This didn't help me on my Powerbook from either the wireless network or the

Hmm, you did that on the Mac AND rebooted?

-- 
"So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish."
       --Douglas Adams
          1952-2001

---

From: Tyler Hardison <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 08:45:34 -0800

>Duke University Student Affairs
Well let me give you a rundown of what I am using:

PowerPC G3-450 w/ 384 Mb RAM
Yellow Dog Linux 2.1
Current CVS (as of 2pm 2/15)
configure options (--enable-redhat)

And that is it folks.

Tyler.

---

From: Kyle Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 14:13:10 -0500

> Hmm, you did that on the Mac AND rebooted?

Yup.  I had to think awhile about how to reboot.  I don't think I've had to
do that since I powered the unit up.  '-)  I'm OK with the login message
work around for now.  Much better than having to hack every OSX machine on
our network.

I'm still hoping someone at Apple can figure out why during the login when
AFPCheckRunning returns false the mount works, but if if returns true it
doesn't.  That's the only difference I can find in the logs between the
mounts that fail and the ones that work.

/kyle
---
<-------- The information went data way --------

---

From: "S.Barbaresi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:33:46 +0000 (GMT)

> file in the right directory? Is that directory really searched by afpd?

I have the same problem. The netatalk uams are in the right directory, I
don't think they are being searched as a truss call doesn't show any files
being opened in the uams directory. What should the PAM file look like?
Do we really need PAM with the following:

	./configure --prefix=/usr/local/atalk  \
          --exec-prefix=/usr/local/atalk --with-shadow --enable-suse

Sim

ps I've been using 1.5.1.2, and I still see the same problems. Guest
   logins are fine, but authenticated logins fail. What am I doing wrong?

S.Barbaresi 					E-mail [email-masked]
Computing Centre, UWB 				Tel (44) (01)248 382403 (ddi)
Sackville Road 					Fax (44) (01)248 383826 (ddi)
Bangor, Gwynedd LL57 1LD, UK

---

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:05:58 -0800

I'm having similar trouble: I'm able to use clear text authentication, 
but not DHX. Also, I'm a little curious why you're using --enable-suse 
on Solaris.

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:51:38 +0100

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:05:58 -0800, Paul Krohn wrote:

> but not DHX.

Well, it might help if you supply the following informations in cases like
these:

1) The complete configure switches.

2) afpd startup messages regarding UAMs ('grep'ing the syslog for "uam"),
   eg. something like:

   Feb 18 18:02:36 notebook-tk afpd[20620]: uam: loading
        (/usr/local/atalk/etc/netatalk/uams/uams_dhx.so)
   Feb 18 18:02:36 notebook-tk afpd[20620]: uam: uams_dhx.so loaded
   Feb 18 18:02:36 notebook-tk afpd[20620]: uam: loading
        (/usr/local/atalk/etc/netatalk/uams/uams_randnum.so)
   Feb 18 18:02:36 notebook-tk afpd[20620]: uam: uams_randnum.so loaded
   Feb 18 18:02:36 notebook-tk afpd[20620]: uam: loading
        (/usr/local/atalk/etc/netatalk/uams/uams_guest.so)
   Feb 18 18:02:36 notebook-tk afpd[20620]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
   Feb 18 18:02:36 notebook-tk afpd[20620]: uam: "No User Authent" available
   Feb 18 18:02:36 notebook-tk afpd[20620]: uam: "2-Way Randnum exchange"
        available
   Feb 18 18:02:36 notebook-tk afpd[20620]: uam: "Randnum exchange"
        available
   Feb 18 18:02:36 notebook-tk afpd[20620]: uam: "DHCAST128" available

3) The complete list of UAMs in the folder, afpd is searching in:

   tk@notebook-tk:/usr/local/atalk/etc/netatalk/uams > ls -la *.so
   lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root         14 Feb 18 18:01 uams_clrtxt.so ->
        uams_passwd.so
   lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root         18 Feb 18 18:01 uams_dhx.so ->
        uams_dhx_passwd.so
   -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      66537 Feb 18 18:01 uams_dhx_passwd.so
   -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      27773 Feb 18 18:01 uams_guest.so
   -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      61586 Feb 18 18:01 uams_passwd.so
   -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      66283 Feb 18 18:01 uams_randnum.so

4) In case you are using PAM, some more details, how PAM is set up (as
   Sebastian asked for already)

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: "S.Barbaresi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:13:21 +0000 (GMT)

> 1) The complete configure switches.

  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/atalk
    --exec-prefix=/usr/local/atalk --with-shadow

> 2) afpd startup messages regarding UAMs ('grep'ing the syslog for "uam"),

No uams entries in syslog.

>    Sebastian asked for already)

Don't think I'm using pam.

The setup is Solaris 8, NIS and netatalk 1.5.2.2.

Sim

ps compiling with "--enable-debug" produce the following errors:

gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../..     -I../../sys/generic
-I../../include -I../../sys/generic -g -O2 -I../../sys -c `test -f hqx.c
|| echo './'`hqx.c
hqx.c: In function `hqx_open':
hqx.c:135: `L_INCR' undeclared (first use in this function)
hqx.c:135: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
hqx.c:135: for each function it appears in.)
gmake[3]: *** [hqx.o] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/netatalk-1.5.2/bin/megatron

---

From: "S.Barbaresi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:43:08 +0000 (GMT)

We see the following in syslog

Feb 19 14:04:42 steffigraf afpd[22261]: [ID 511611 auth.error] atp_rresp:
Connection timed out
Feb 19 14:04:52 steffigraf afpd[22261]: [ID 505962 auth.error] afp_die:
asp_shutdown: Connection timed out

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 17:29:36 +0100

> gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/netatalk-1.5.2/bin/megatron

Fixing...

 - Sebastian

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:18:58 +0100

> No uams entries in syslog.

Hmm... strange. But I haven't built Netatalk on Solaris before. Do others
get messages regarding missing/used UAMs in /var/adm/messages?

>> 3) The complete list of UAMs in the folder, afpd is searching in:

Are there any? What does the path in your Makefile inside Netatalk's source
dir say? Something like "UAMS_PATH = /usr/local/atalk/etc/netatalk/uams"?

And if so: What is in this directory?

> [...]

> asp_shutdown: Connection timed out

What does your afpd.conf look like? Do you allow AFPoverTCP (-transall) too?
Please post your afpd's startup messages.

If you can reach the server via AFPoverTCP then try to connect via entering
it's IP address in the chooser instead of selecting the server name.

Maybe the whole problem is related to some AppleTalk trouble (empty ASP
packets -- who knows?)

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:37:04 -0800 (PST)

> get messages regarding missing/used UAMs in /var/adm/messages?

I get nothing in /var/log/syslog or /var/adm messages during a failed login.

> And if so: What is in this directory?

prefix = /usr/local/atalk
UAMS_PATH = ${prefix}/etc/netatalk/uams

total 1064
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         14 Feb 17 13:35 uams_clrtxt.so ->
uams_passwd.so
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         18 Feb 17 13:35 uams_dhx.so ->
uams_dhx_passwd.so
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other      38496 Feb 17 13:35 uams_dhx_passwd.a
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other        933 Feb 17 13:35 uams_dhx_passwd.la
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other     225595 Feb 17 13:35 uams_dhx_passwd.so
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other      31070 Feb 17 13:35 uams_guest.a
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other        813 Feb 17 13:35 uams_guest.la
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      36753 Feb 17 13:35 uams_guest.so
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other      32982 Feb 17 13:35 uams_passwd.a
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other        820 Feb 17 13:35 uams_passwd.la
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      38916 Feb 17 13:35 uams_passwd.so
-rw-r--r--   1 root     other      43314 Feb 17 13:35 uams_randnum.a
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other        912 Feb 17 13:35 uams_randnum.la
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other      75698 Feb 17 13:35 uams_randnum.so

> >> Sebastian asked for already)

I' not using PAM, thought I ought to get the simple case working first. I'd like
to get it to use NIS eventually ... I assume this will require PAM?

> Please post your afpd's startup messages.

Feb 19 11:32:39 lancelot ddp: [ID 772870 kern.info] netatalk 1.5.2
Feb 19 11:32:39 lancelot afpd[891]: [ID 449902 daemon.error] main: atp_open: Can
not assign requested address

The atp_open is because atalkd is not running at the moment.

---

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:51:23 -0800 (PST)

Well, it turns out that configuring netatalk --with-pam is non-trivial. I 
checked two systems, and on both I got the same error from configure:

configure: error: PAM support missing

but there's a man page for pam, and there's a /usr/lib/libpam.so. There's 
just no /usr/include/pam.h ...

I guess this isn't really a netatalk question, but what gives?

---

From: Sebastian Rittau <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 14:50:12 +0100

> just no /usr/include/pam.h ...

You need to install the pam-devel package (or whatever it is called on
these systems). This will contain all the necessary PAM stuff.

 - Sebastian