Subject: finding seed routers

From: Eric <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:08:30 -0800

is there a way to see what seed routers
exist on the network using nbplkup??

thanks
eric

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 20:54:27 +0100

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:08:30 -0800, Eric wrote:

> is there a way to see what seed routers exist on the network using nbplkup??

Not with nbplkup, AFAIK. But you might want to filter your syslog output for
"zip gnireply from" to get those type of routers.

If I do a 'cat /var/log/messages | grep "zip gnireply from"', I get for
example: 

Jan  4 14:34:16 users atalkd[160]: zip gnireply from 101.142 (eth0 12)
Jan  7 12:04:32 users atalkd[160]: zip gnireply from 101.142 (eth0 12)
Jan  7 12:18:49 users atalkd[160]: zip gnireply from 101.142 (eth0 12)
Jan  9 11:47:35 users atalkd[160]: zip gnireply from 101.50 (eth0 b2)
Jan  9 11:47:35 users atalkd[160]: zip gnireply from 101.142 (eth0 b2)

My linux box is seed router on eth1, but on eth0 there is a Sun with Helios
EtherShare. 101.50 is eth0's address of my netatalk box and 101.142 the one
from the seed router in this segment.

The Sun has been rebooted yesterday, so for a short time the netatalk router
(101.50) was the primary router on this segment. Since the Sun (101.142) has
been up and running again, it became the primary router again.

You can watch for seed routers every time you start atalkd or something with
the router itself changed.

Sorry, the only good tool I know of is RouterCheck by Neon:
<http://www.neon.com/RouterCheck.html>

Fortunately available as demo too: <http://www.neon.com/demos_goodies.html>

Regards,

Thomas