Subject: Multiple Netatalk servers

From: MATSUDA Hitoshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:59:44 +0900

Hi, all

I met strange problem.
We had been using 3 Linux boxes with Netatalk (RedHat Linux 6.1 with
2.2.13 kernel and Netatalk 1.5pre3).
Recently, we added one more Linux box with same configuration as others.

Now we call Server-A, Server-B and Server-C which had been running, and
Server-D which added recently.

When we try to mount Server-B after Server-D already be mounted, Maicntosh
says that "Server-B is already mounted!". When we try to mount Server-D
after Server-B already be mounted, Macintosh says "Server-D already
mounted!". Other combinations has no trouble.

We replaced Server-D for another Linux box in order to investigate whether
Server-D has trouble or not. Same trouble happens.

Does anyone have met this kind of problem ?

MATSUDA Hitoshi
Mathit Communications,Inc
-- 

+++
有限会社マシットコム
〒573-1145
大阪府枚方市黄金野２丁目２５−６
松田仁志（MATSUDA Hitoshi）
Tel 072-850-2908
Fax 072-850-2710
e-mail:[email-masked] / [email-masked]
URL:http://www.mathit.com/
    http://www.mathit.co.jp/

---

From: "Bruce A. Burdick, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 01:16:55 -0600

This is just speculation (about something I don't completely understand
myself). Have you copied the atalk.conf files between systems? Do B and D
have the same parameters in atalk.conf? Perhaps this may be the source of
their apparent identity sharing.

If anyone knows this to be a misconception, please debunk it swiftly! I'd
really like to clarify my own understanding of this, too!

But if it helps, glad my hunch worked!

-B...

> From: MATSUDA Hitoshi <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:59:44 +0900
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Multiple Netatalk servers
> Resent-From: [email-masked]
> Resent-Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 01:04:56 -0500 (EST)
> 
> Hi, all
> 
> I met strange problem.
> ??????????
> ?573-1145
> ??????????????-?
> ?????MATSUDA Hitoshi?

---

From: Basil Hussain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:54:57 +0000

Hi,

> mounted!". Other combinations has no trouble.

This has been discussed on the list before and a solution was found. In
fact, I suffered from the same problem myself not so long ago. Anyway, I
enclose at the end of this message the solution repeated to me then.

To put it easily, though, all you need to do is change your /etc/hosts file
from this:

127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain
192.168.1.1      yourhost.domain.com     yourhost

To this:

192.168.1.1      yourhost.domain.com     yourhost
127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain

It needs re-arranging so that the line with the normal IP address
(192.168.1.1 in the example) of your server is the first line and the
loopback address (127.0.0.1) is below.

Regards,

------------------------------------------------
Basil Hussain ([email-masked])

------------------------------------------------------------
From: "Joe Rhodes" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Two servers --Solved!!!

      For the sake of someone searching through the archives for
this at a latter date, here's a synopsis of the problem:
      You have two netatalk servers (RedHat Linux Based--Intel or
LinuxPPC) running on the same network.  They have different names,
and each show up in the chooser seperately.  However, when you log
into one, the client mac sees the other as the same server as the
first one you logged onto--and vice versa.

      Getting both servers to be recognized as different servers
involved getting them to have unique server signatures.  As was
pointed out to me, this is directly affected by the value returned by
the hostid command.  For instance, my results from hostid were 17f00.
Looking at that, 7f is hex for 127.

      As it turns out, the hostid is based off your server name and
whatever that server name has for an address in /etc/hosts.  For
instance, in the file /etc/HOSTNAME my test server is called
LittleLinux. In /etc/hosts I MUST have a line that goes something
like this:
  192.168.0.1  LittleLinux    LittleLinux.localdomain

  You can (and probably should, but I don't know, I'm no expert) have
the default line of
  127.0.0.1    localhost    localhost.localdomain
  in there.  As long as the machine can find a match to what it thinks
is the hostname, it will hash that IP address as the hostid, and
consequently, as the Server Signature.  By testing, I found it makes
no difference what order the lines appear.

      If you do not have a line that matches, the machine will use
the "localhost" entry.  I ended up with two servers both hashing
127.0.0.1 as a hostid.

  The number here does not HAVE to be the correct IP address.  (For
instance, on my test machine, I run as a DHCP client, but I just left
that 192.168 address there for grins.)  If you do have the correct
address there, then it will be transmitted to your client, and if the
client will support it, it will connect via TCP/IP.  (Unless you
specify otherwise in your config file.)

  I need to make sure and give a big THANK YOU to all the people that
helped me figure this one out.  It's really cool how quickly you all
responded with suggestions even though I'm sure you're all pretty
busy with your own problems.

  Does anyone know if there is an FAQ-O-Matic that this should go in?
Perhaps a centrally kept FAQ somewhere?  Or do we just rely on the
e-mail archive searches for this?  (Which is primarily what I've been
using.)

  Thanks again everyone!

  -Joe Rhodes
------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:25:33 -0600 (CST)

Seems like something that should be committed to the SourceForge Netatalk
FAQ, huh?

-Dan

---

From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:12:07 -0500

From: Basil Hussain <[email-masked]>
   Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:54:57 +0000

   in there . . .

FWIW, my /etc/hosts has no 127.0.0.1 line, and the loopback interface
seems to be fully functional (under RH 6.0 +errata, kernel 2.2.17).  I
don't think there even was an /etc/hosts before I created it.

   But I'm sure this is quite specific to Linux and/or Red Hat.  (Though
I'm no expert, either.)

					-- Bob Rogers

---

From: Danny Sauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 10:37:23 -0600

>    Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:54:57 +0000

The interface itself would work as 127.0.0.1 without an entry in /etc/hosts,
and a lot of times your local DNS server will have an entry for localhost and
127.0.0.1 that your system will use in place of the hosts file entry for
name resolution.  You really don't even need an /etc/hosts in most cases
anyway - it's just faster than DNS for your own hostname (and works before the
network interface is up).

--Danny

---

From: MATSUDA Hitoshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 08:53:03 +0900

Hello,

Thank you for your advice.
We can't restart Netatalk services now, so I will try next week and
inform its result later.

Thank you,

MATSUDA Hitoshi

---

From: MATSUDA Hitoshi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 14:30:23 +0900

Hello,

We fixed this problem. The line order of /etc/hosts was not basic reason.
There were misconfiguration between /etc/hosts, /etc/HOSTNAME and /etc
/sysconfig/network in two servers which have this problem.
After we fixed this problem, "hostid" returns each regal value.

Thank you for everyone.

MATSUDA Hitoshi