Subject: Printing from Mac OS 8.5 to linux Redhat 6.

From: "Carl D. Blake" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jan 2002 15:08:03 -0700

I have a Mac running 8.5 that I am attempting to setup to print onto a
printer on a Redhat V6.2 system.  The linux system is running the lpr
printing system V0.50.5.  I installed netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.4 from a
RedHat RPM.  I can share files without any problems.  The Mac can see
the linux system and it can see the printer on the linux system. 
However when I attempt a print from the Mac the Mac eventually times out
with a message like "Due to a communication error the print job could
not be printed."

lpr on the linux system works just fine - I can print to the printer
without any problems.  When the Mac attempts to print I can see in
/var/log/messages that papd is receiving a connection.  I can even see
the queue files appearing in /var/spool/lpd/lp, but they are very short
and never grow in size.  I would expect them to grow if they were
receiving data.  It looks like the Mac successfully makes the initial
connection to papd, but then for some reason is unable to send the data
to be printed.

I also tried this with netatalk 1.5.1.1 with exactly the same result.

My papd.conf file is as follows:

HPLaserJet6MP:\
	:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Plp:\
	:op=cdb:\
	:pd=/usr/share/lib/ppd/HPLaserJet6MP.ppd:

Does anybody have any suggestions?

---

From: Tony Stuckey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:56:10 -0600

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 03:08:03PM -0700, Carl D. Blake wrote:
> printing system V0.50.5.
[...] 
> without any problems.
[...] 
> Does anybody have any suggestions?

	MacOS 8.1 and later support direct printing to LPR/LPD devices.
You do not have to use PAPD at all.  Create a desktop printer on the
Macintosh.
	This is an FAQ.  This information does not appear in the FAQ at
http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/faq.php, unfortunately.
-- 
Anthony J. Stuckey                              [email-masked]
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."
	-Robyn Hitchcock.

---

From: "Carl D. Blake" <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Jan 2002 17:11:23 -0700

> http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/faq.php, unfortunately.
Sad to say, I've already been trying to get the lpr/lpd method to work
for a while too.  I originally tried the papd method and had problems
with that, so I found out about the lpr/lpd method and tried that.  The
Mac freezes solid everytime I try the print using lpr/lpd.
--

---

From: Ken Gillett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 12:33:08 +0000

>Mac freezes solid everytime I try the print using lpr/lpd.

To print directly from Macs to LPR printers you need Apple's Desktop 
Printer Utility. Select LPR, create the desktop printer and it should 
all work - always has for me.

Was this freeze related to this method or via Netatalk?
-- 

Ken  G i l l e t t

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Burkhard Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 14:30:11 +0100

> Mac freezes solid everytime I try the print using lpr/lpd.

Just in case you're trying to print via LPR to a printserver (instead of 
directly to a printer): Did you update your /etc/hosts.lpd on the server 
to allow the Mac OS clients to access it via LPR? Or is this not 
necessary with Redhat Linux?

Regards, Burkhard.

---

From: "Carl D. Blake" <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Feb 2002 08:55:20 -0700

OK, we got the lpr/lpd method working.  Burkhard Schmidt suggested that
we include the mac in the /etc/hosts.lpd (I had forgotten about that
little detail).  Everything works fine now.  Thanks for your help.

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 20:00, Mikkel C. Simonsen wrote:
> Carl D. Blake wrote:
> The problem is that once papd receives an EOF, it closes the connection.
> And as most/all Mac applications create binary print jobs EOFs are often
> included...
> 
> If you print a text-only job it will most likely succeed.
> 
> If you don't include binary EPS-files in your printjobs you can setup
> most applications to create pure ASCII jobs. But as most Mac users do
> use binary EPS files (Photoshop images among other things) that won't
> work.
> 
> You should use lpr as someone else suggested. It works very well on OS9
> - I don't know about 8.5. Perhaps the free 8.6 update would help?
> 
> Best regards,
> 
> Mikkel C. Simonsen
> 
> 
-- 
Carl D. Blake
Electronics Design Engr. Mgr.
Boeckeler Instruments, Inc.
4650 S. Butterfield Dr.
Tucson, AZ  85714

Phone: 520-745-0001
FAX: 520-745-0004
email: [email-masked]

---

From: "Carl D. Blake" <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Feb 2002 08:56:57 -0700

> Was this freeze related to this method or via Netatalk?

The freeze was related to the lpr/lpd method.  Netatalk did not freeze.

Phone: 520-745-0001
FAX: 520-745-0004

---

From: "Carl D. Blake" <[email-masked]>
Date: 01 Feb 2002 08:57:53 -0700

> necessary with Redhat Linux?

That did it.  Thanks.  I had forgotten about needing to add hosts to the
hosts.lpd file.

Phone: 520-745-0001
FAX: 520-745-0004