Subject: access problems

From: Melberg Carsten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 16:35:10 +0200

Hi,

I run netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on Linux 2.2.16 and I have several problems
regarding server volume access, when copying files form a Mac OS 8.x to a
server volume. I have three server volumes that could be mounted from the
Mac and it is possible to copy files from the Mac to the volumes but it is
impossible to copy file between the volumes - on the Mac side.
Althoug sometimes I can copy a file to the server volume directly but not if
it is within a directory that is copied to the volume. The Mac always
reports Error -50 which is not much meaningful. On the linux box I cannot
see any errors. File permissions and such things are correct.

Perhaps someone of you can help.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards / Gruesse
Carsten Melberg

---

From: "Alexander Puff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 16:54:02 +0200

Hi,

I run netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-130  on a Linux 2.2.16 server 
within a heterogenous network of Macs and PCs.

If a Mac user throws the connection icon of a mounted apple share 
into the desktop trash to close the connection to the server, the
client moves the whole content of the share into the local trash bin 
of the Mac computer.

If the user empties the trash - which occured twice up to now - ,
the whole content of the share on the server is deleted 8(

This event happens on some of our Macs, but on different Mac OSs -
so I would say, the netatalk daemon has a problem.

 Thanks very much in advance!

Best regards 
Alexander.

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Apr 2001 11:14:45 -0400

After spending many many hours hammering 1.5pre6, I will
    unofficially recommend its use for anyone running 1.4B2. 

    As with all software, I recommend installing it on test servers, and
    serve client who understand that they are being used to test
    software. I don't think you'll be disappointed. At the very least, I
    can unofficially say that I believe 1.5pre6 to be leaps and bounds
    more stable than 1.4B2 when properly
    installed/configured/compiled/etc. It is, at worst, no less stable.

-- 

Matthew Keller
Enterprise System Analyst
Computing & Technology Services
Information Services Division
State University of NY at Potsdam
Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/