Subject: Network Trash Folder

From: Soy hombre del palo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:17:29 -0700

Here's my setup:
All mac users a part of adart group, all sharing /AppleShare.
Permissions are for full group read/write, guests can read only.

Is there a setting for restricting/cancelling the creation of "Network
Trash Folder" (or a file name with spaces)? Specifically, since it is a
folder with spaces in it, it causes problems with my backup scripts. I
wouldn't mind some other folder taking the place of "Network Trash
Folder," but the spaces are problematic.

---

From: Lasse Lehtinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:26:07 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Soy hombre del palo wrote:

> folder with spaces in it, it causes problems with my backup scripts.

We share the same Mac-volumes with samba to Windoze-clients, because they
must have access to the same files. First we we're getting .AppleDouble
dirs everywhere, until I noticed that there's a nifty option in Samba to
delete these files. If you're not running samba, you could always write a
script that searches all sub dirs and deletes those folders before
backup. But in samba, add following parameters:

delete veto files = Yes

veto files = /.AppleDouble/.AppleDesktop/Network Trash Folder/
DesktopFolderDB/resource.frk/ICON/Icon/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/ 

I don't exactly what mac's think about deleting these files, but it works
for us.

---

From: Magnus Stenman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 22:41:28 +0200

Hey -- you got Mac users...
You *will* get filenames with spaces in them.... :-)

IIRC, the Macs probably will create more folders with
spaces in them, e.g. the "Find by contents folder" or similar.

Probably a better idea to fix your backup scripts.

/magnus