Subject: extended access control lists (ACL) support?

From: Ken Gourlay <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:29:59 -0500

Hello,
I'm running netatalk as a file server in an environment with rather 
complex file permissions.  In order to address the permissions 
situation, I found ACL kernel support (for my linux 2.4.13 kernel) which 
does a wonderful job of creating flexibility in assigning permissions -- 
it works in much the same way as ACLs in Solaris or AFS.  Is there a 
version of netatalk that supports ACLs?  Are there any plans to add 
support?  I've got Samba running on the same server, that supports ACLs 
quite well... just one more reason that Macs look bad here. :(

ACLs for Linux home page: http://acl.bestbits.at/

-- Ken Gourlay
-- Saline Area Schools

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Nov 2001 16:24:29 -0500

First off, Mac's don't support ACL's, so the fact that Netatalk doesn't
is kinda a non-issue. Netatalk will work with the filesystem perms as
long as the FS doesn't break (or fail to implement) the standard UNIX
stat, lstat, fstat, etc. etc. calls about the file.

-- 

Matthew Keller
Enterprise System Analyst
Computing & Technology Services
Information Services Division
State University of NY at Potsdam
Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/