Subject: Netatalk and Undefined Zones

From: James Hammett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:12:14 -0600

Originally our ethernet network was segmented into 2 ethertalk zones 
(plus several localtalk).  This was done using Shiva Fastpaths. 
Currently the netatalk server sits on 2 of the ethertalk zones, 
though the machine has no configuration information for eth0 or eth1.

We are considering getting rid of the equpment which routes (and 
defines) the 2 ethertalk zones. (The really old fastpath(s)).  For 
various reasons the networking group is unwilling to route Appletalk 
between the 2 remaining network subnets.  When we do this, what will 
the Netatalk box do?  Will it simply bridge the trafic between the 
ethernet segments?  Will it just sit between the 2 networks and not 
do anything? Will it create zones called 'eth0' and 'eth1' and route 
between them?  or  will it do something completely unpredicatable?

thanks,
James

ps: If you have any questions, please drop me a note.
-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
James Hammett
ACITS (Academic Computing)                                         CPE 4.468
Chemical Engineering Unix Support                                   471-9701
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
        An injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK jr.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------