Subject: "don't have enough privileges to create folder" error

From: "Chad Leigh, Objectwerks, Inc." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:50:42 -0500

Hi

This appears more complicated than the title suggests.  I looked at the FAQ 
on sourceforge.net and the question that appears to be the same as mine but 
the solution did not solve it.

I try and create a folder anywhere in my share and it says I can't because 
I don't have enouhg privileges but idoes it anyway.  The user I am logging 
in as has complete rights to the files and folders  listed in the share, 
including user and group r+w+x privilege.

I try and copy in a folder from the Mac and it creates the folder but then 
says that it has no rights to create the first file contained in that 
folder and quits.

I have 1.42+asun version on FreeBSD 4.2.

I have a share that is owned by user "chad" group "staff".  Here is the 
configuration in the AppleVolumes.default file in /usr/local/etc

/mirror1/companies  "Company Data" options=crlf

megumi# cd /mirror1/companies/
megumi# ls -al
total 14
drwxrwx---  14 chad  staff  512 Jan 16 15:41 .
drwxrwx---   8 root  wheel  512 Jan  8 20:39 ..
drwxrwx---   6 chad  staff  512 Jan  6 18:38 .AppleDesktop
drwxrwx---   2 chad  staff  512 Jan  6 18:30 .AppleDouble
drwxrwx---   4 chad  staff  512 Jan 16 14:05 Applications
drwxrwx---   5 chad  staff  512 Jan  6 18:39 Leigh America Company
drwxrwx---   3 chad  staff  512 Jan 16 15:28 Network Trash Folder
drwxrwx---   4 chad  staff  512 Jan  6 18:22 Shire.Net LLC
drwxrwx---   3 chad  staff  512 Jan  6 18:19 TheFindByContentFolder
drwxrwx---   3 chad  staff  512 Jan  6 18:20 TheVolumeSettingsFolder
drwxrwx---   3 chad  staff  512 Jan 16 15:24 untitled folder
drwxrwx---   3 chad  staff  512 Jan 16 15:28 untitled folder 1
drwxrwx---   3 chad  staff  512 Jan 16 15:28 untitled folder 2
drwxrwx---   3 chad  staff  512 Jan 16 15:41 untitled folder 3

I am logging in as user "chad" which has a default group "staff" in the 
passwd file on the FreeBSD box.

Using ps -aux I list 3 afpd, two running as user "chad" (from 2 macs" and 
one as root which I assume is the one listed as "LISTEN" when I do a 
netstat -a.

When all the files were listed as

drwxr-xr-x it didn't work either.

The console is giving me the message:  afpd[blah]: setdirmode: chmod 
.AppleDouble"Operation not permitted

I check all the .AppleDouble folders and they are all owned by the same 
user / group chad:staff as is the user logging in and they are all 
rwxrwx--- (also tried rwxr-xr-x) so I don't know what operation is not 
permitted on which .AppleDouble since the user is all correct as far as I 
can tell.

I am stuck and don't know what I can do and cannot find any documentation 
or anything that gives me more enlightenment.  Anyone care to give me a 
hand?

Thanks
Chad