Subject: Re: 1-gigabit-router for netatalk?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 19:44:55 +0100 (MET)

Hi Matthew!

> 	I *HIGHLY* recommend keeping file-serving operations off of your
> firewall.

Of course, it is seperate machine. The question is (as I know that netatalk
is VERY sensible
on network stability) which configuration will provide enough power to do
firewalling and
routing with two Gigabit and one FastEthernet nics in a network of linux-,
windows- and
mac-clients (including appletalk to have the servers visible in the
chooser). I don't want
to see the message "The server closed the connection" too often. ;-)

I was told that a PentiumPro has a too slow bus. So what would you
recommend? We
are getting our new switches and servers soon, and I must decide which
machine to configure
for doing the routing. So, PentiumPro, old Suns, PentiumII or III...?

Thank you for ANY hints and help... 

CU Lars.

-- 
Sent through GMX FreeMail - http://www.gmx.net