Subject: DID & reiser

From: Jürgen Weltzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:06:45 +0200

Mac Coin wrote:

>we've installed here a system an put a reiser file system on it. It
>seems to me that the reiser system does the file handling somehow
>different. before he had the same DID conflicts, after the reiser
>everythings worked fine (suse 7.1 2.2.4 and netatalk 1.56)

Yes, on a new linux box, suse 7.1 and netatalk 1.56, with reiser file 
system there are no DID-conflicts in the logs.

-- 
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jürgen Weltzer

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Werbeagentur Weltzer
Max-Eyth-Straße 8
71065 Sindelfingen
Tel. +49 (0) 70.31.81.32.31
Fax +49 (0) 70.31.81.16.01
http://www.w-ww.de/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mit am besten lernt man die Menschen kennen, indem man sie beobachtet,
wenn es irgendwo etwas gratis gibt. (A.L.)

---

From: Jason Quigley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:40:09 +0200

Hi everybody!

This is very interesting.

I once asked if anybody would like me to compile a matrix of OS, FS,
clients and netatalk versions along with number of problems with each
combination, in order to get a good idea of which mixture is best. I
got zero replies, so, can people just send similar experiences to the
one below to the list so we can all benefit?

Cheers,
Jason.

---

From: Rob Lineweaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:16:37 -0400

I've been very happy with reiserfs except for one minor annoyance:  I have
quotas set up and the reported free space for the mounted volume (on a mac
client) is ~ 4 times the actual space left before the user's quota fills up.
Somewhere the block size (or something) for reiserfs is being misreported...

I haven't had it under heavy enough usage to judge DID problems.

Rob Lineweaver
:)

---

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:31:59 -0700

> one below to the list so we can all benefit?

I must've missed that email. That would be an awesome resource, Jason. That
would help answer a lot of people's questions about what netatalk is
suitable for, and would also cut down on a lot of mailing list questions.

Steve

---

From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 08:58:03 +1000

Interesting, I recompiled last night with --enable-lastdid and haven't seen
any errors this morning. On a totally seperate note, how have you found
reiserfs? I've considered playing with it, but didn't mainly because it was
still beta last time I looked.

Bis bald,

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Jürgen Weltzer [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, 25 July 2001 01:07
To: [email-masked]
Subject: DID & reiser

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jürgen Weltzer

---

From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:07:16 +1000

Hi Jason,

Excellent idea.

I'm actually in the middle of doing something similar myself, having been
too frustrated at seeing the same problems crop up again and again, with no
real answers, and unfortunately lacking the technical skills necessary to
fix.

I've started playing with a netatalk website, the idea being that all of the
problems with various kernels, quark #$%$!@, max os x.xx, and what an earth
the error messages & configuration options actually mean.

There's a very beta site up at:

http://gemini.faredge.com.au/netatalk/

Have a look, if you have ideas / info / whatever write and tell me. If you
don't like it, don't go there. If you have a better idea, then do it - ie.
don't ask me to do it. Given an unlimited amount of time (and a little more
money) i'd set up something funkier such as an faq site / webapp, but since
time <> unlimited it isn't.

I'm more than happy to maintain the site, as long as people who actually
know the answer to some of these questions are forthcoming with information.

Cheers all,

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Quigley [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, 25 July 2001 01:40
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: DID & reiser

Hi everybody!

Cheers,
Jason.

---

From: "Glen Morris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:32:34 +1000

Chris

Excellent resource! When you've finished this website I think netatalk users
will be a much happier family!

<snip>

</snip>

Glen

---

From: Nigel Pegram <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:05:57 +1000

Given I installed from an rpm file, is there any way of checking what
switches were used in the compile, e.g. --enable-lastdid? I guess I have the
option of compiling a custom netatalk install, or installing Reiser, I'd
rather know about what switches were enabled first though, to avoid going
down a blind alley.

TIA
Nigel.

> From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 08:58:03 +1000
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: RE: DID & reiser
> Resent-From: [email-masked]
> Resent-Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 19:09:12 -0400 (EDT)
>

---

From: Harald Wagener <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:09:09 +0200

> rather know about what switches were enabled first though, to avoid going

You can try and get the source RPM. The included spec file will list the options
used to compile the package. Be careful to get the correct distributor, version
AND release, because otherwise the info contained may be incorrect.

H.

-- 
Harald Wagener      |                                Systemadministrator 
FCB/Wilkens GmbH    |                              Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252 
An der Alster 42    |                              Fax.:+49-40-2881-1263 
20099 Hamburg       |                         http://www.fcb-wilkens.com