Subject: trash / window refresh tips

From: Karen A Swanberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:26:15 -0500 (CDT)

I just did some testing after being prompted by an off-list question, and
discovered two small, simple things that might be of use, but I don't
recall seeing on the lists.

The problem with files on the netatalk server being dragged to the trash,
and a dialog box coming up and saying that the files must be deleted? This
doesn't happen on my Mac OS 9.1 machines (grey G4s). The files go in the
trash folder and stay there, until I empty the trash. The problem *does*
happen on my 8.0, 8.1 and 8.6 machines. I don't have any 9.0.4's I can
test on right now. My test environment isn't too big, so I don't know how
this affects the problem of deleting other people's files when dragging
stuff to the trash.

The folder refresh problem. I tend to view my mac files in "List" format,
so the subdirectories have those neat little triangles that you can click
on to list the subdirectories in the same window. If my main folder has an
updated file which isn't showing up due to the refresh problem, if I open
a subdirectory with the triangle, that prompts a refresh and the file
appears. Still not as good as the window refreshing immediately, but
better and faster than having to close and reopen the window.

Cheers,

-Karen

*                                                     *
Karen Swanberg              |                         
Network Admin.              |               GNUmusk, an 
Dept. of Geology/Geophysics |        opensource cologne
206 Pillsbury Hall          |                         
310 Pillsbury Ave. SE       |       Old geeks never die                    
University of Mn            |          They just revert
Minneapolis, MN 55455       |              to cleartext
(612) 624-6541              |                         
*                                                     *