Subject: Can't write file to share

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:20:00 -0400

Back from vacation, and thanks everyone for your previous help. I installed
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-22.i386.rpm on Redhat 7instead of compiling, and I'm
now able to authenticate. However, like others, I'm getting errors trying to
write a file to a netatalk share.

I have no problem writing to my home directory, so it seems to be a permissions
issue on the other share, which should be accessible to others beside the owner.
I can mount the share:
/usr/itarchives IT access=@it

but I get the message "<filename> could not be written because you do not have
enough access privileges."

The rights appear to be correct:
[sherry@nychat1 /usr]$ groups
sherry it

and
drwxrws--x    5 root     it           4096 Apr 16 12:16 itarchives

I suspect the access setting for a share affects the ability to mount a share
not write to it.
Also, the "s" privilege is new to me. To paraphrase what someone said about it,
giving a group the "s" privilege on a directory should not effect the ability to
write a new file to the directory, but should set the permissions on that new
file to match the directory, allowing group members to read and write to the
file subsequently, right?

Anyway, I'd rather run a tried and true version of netatalk than play with the
work in progress, so any suggestions short of installing 1.5preX will be
appreciated.

Thanks,
jb