Subject: Ethernet card problem?

From: Flint Million <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 23:00:40 -0400 (EDT)

This is a strange problem:
I'm running redhat 7.0 on a laptop with following config:

* pentium II 266mhz
* 2 Cardbus slots
* 64mb ram
* netatalk 1.5pre6

I have an old 10base-T ethernet card from a long time back for the PC card
slot, and it works just fine (loads the pcnet-cs (I think) module). atalkd
starts up, locates our router, gets a zip packet, configures, etc.etc.etc.
and essentially starts ok. Then I try my brand new cardbus 100T ethernet
card (which does have a corresponding driver) and atalkd seems to "freeze"
the interface, i.e. when atalkd is running, NO traffic will go in/out of
the card! atalkd doesn't receive its zip packet, but I also can no longer
ping/telnet/ftp/etc to anything. afpd starts with no trouble, but
connections to the machine via ip address fail unless atalkd is not
running. I've tried this with three (3) different cardbus 100t ethernet
cards, all of which appear to have linux drivers (two even said Linux support
on the box, but the disk just had basic instructions for installing
pcmcia services and no custom driver) I've tried four different 10base-T
non-cardbus cards (3 from friends) and they all work without a problem, even
the one that has the built-in modem on the same card. what's up? does
atalkd not like cardbus or something??

Flint Million
[email-masked]