Subject: Help: a detailed howto-install-software somewhere?

From: [email-masked] (Markus Kuschnik)
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 11:42:09 +0100

Dear Listmembers!

In spite of your helpful comments on my request for help in configuring
netatalk for a SuSE-Linux-partition on my iMac (in order to be able to print
via a Dayna EtherPrint-bridge connecting a HP LaserJet to the Mac) I didn't
yet succeed in compiling and installing the netatalk file, certainly because
I am a real newbie to Linux.
Following Anders Brownworth's instructions in his netatalk-howto, so far I
only downloaded the pre-compiled versions (shadow as well as non-shadow) of
netatalk from www.anders.com/projects/netatalk/download.html, I unzipped and
untarred them.
But I don't know how to "edit the Makefile in the root of the source tree",
("edit" means to use vi or emacs?) for instance, or how to "set the
destination directory", and so on.
Because of that, I'd like to know from you if there is somewhere a detailed
howto concerning the installation of software under Linux. Searching the
internet for a howto like that I found a lot of howtos concerning the
installation of Linux itself, but none for the said purpose, impatient as I
am.  Can anyone of you provide me with an internet-address which offers such
an instructive file?
Some other question I have in connection to the netatalk file: there is a
netatalk package on one of the CDs that came with the Linux7.1(ppc)-copy I
bought from SuSE. Can't I use this package, install it via YaST and then
edit the /etc/services and conf/AppleVolumes.default  ?
I'll apprechiate any help,

 Markus Kuschnik
 [email-masked]

---

From: Christian Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:30:38 +0100

>  destination directory", and so on.

To "edit" a file doesn't actually imply using vi or emacs although 
these are standard Unix editors, especially vi which is present on 
almost every Unix system.
There are several editors that are eaisier to edit with than vi, for 
eymaple pico which you can find in SuSE's "ap" series.

>  howto concerning the installation of software under Linux. Searching the

Well, from your email address I suppose, you'll be German-speaking... 
Just have a look at http://www.maclinux.de. AFAIR there is a short 
howto on installaing software the classic Unix way (configure - make 
- make install).

hth,
Christian
-- 
Christian Schmidt
[email-masked]