Subject: Appletalk over IP not working

From: Eric Long <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:20:41 -0600

I've followed the instructions, searched on the web, in past mailing lists,
etc. etc. and still cannot figure out how to get afpd to work.

In my logs I get the following:

main: atp_open: Can't assign requested address

In my afpd.conf file:

"MACHINE NAME" -tcp -ipaddr 192.158.1.1 -port 548

I'm specifying the correct ip address, even let afpd try grabbing an ip on
its on (the box only has one IP assigned to it).  I'm at a loss for what
else I should try and do.

Running netatalk 1.4b2 (installed from the ports collection with all the
proper patches) on FreeBSD 4.1.1.

Any suggestions?

-Eric

---

From: Walt Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 12:20:26 -0800

> "MACHINE NAME" -tcp -ipaddr 192.158.1.1 -port 548

try this:

machine_name    -port 12001    -address 192.158.1.1

also, your specified address (xxx.158.xxx.xxx) looks a bit odd.  do you mean
xxx.168.xxx.xxx?

w

---

From: Eric Long <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 14:55:00 -0600

I tried that before, just tried it again, here's the error:

netatalkbind: Can't assign requested address
bind: Can't assign requested address

>From the log file:
afpd[6909]: main: atp_open: Can't assign requested address

As for the IP, yes it looks a bit odd because I made a typo, it should be
168 not 158.

-Eric

---

From: Walt Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 14:12:28 -0800

since the box has only one ip, what happens when you make the config:

machine_name    -port 12001

or nothing @ all?

w

---

From: Eric Long <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:24:57 -0600

Without any config file, it still gives me the same error.  Same thing if I
just specify a machine name and port number.

What's weird is that if I start atalkd as well (I currently just need afpd),
then afpd will run, but I have no clue how it's running because it's not
binding to any address or port.  I know this because I tried connecting when
it was running and it didn't work.

Whether or not afpd is running, I still see the "Can't assign requested
address" message in my logs.

Yes, my hosts.allow is configured correctly.  I'm currently allowing ALL
connections to the box.  I have no way of telling if atalkd is actually
working because this box is on another network and I'm setting this up
remotely.  Just want to do appletalk over TCP/IP.

-Eric

---

From: alan premselaar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 14:43:28 -0800

you *are* running netatalk 1.4b2 + asun, correct?

without the asun extensions to the netatalk package, it doesn't support 
appleshare over TCP/IP

> >>> also, your specified address (xxx.158.xxx.xxx) looks a bit odd.  do 

----
  there's nothing like the undying sense of reliability provided by modern 
technology.
----
alan premselaar
[email-masked]
www.12inch.com

---

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:29:56 -0800

the message: "afpd[6909]: main: atp_open: Can't assign requested
address" means the requested address that can't be assigned is the
appletalk address. the message goes away when you start atalkd, because
then afpd has something to bind to. 

one way to tell if afpd ahs indeed bound to port 548 is to telnet to
that port and see if you get an answer. should look something like this:

$ telnet x.x.x.x 548
Trying x.x.x.x ...
Connected to <machine name>.
Escape character is '^]'.

also, just so we're all clear, when you say "Just want to do appletalk
over TCP/IP", don't you mean appleshare over tcp/ip?

also, there has been a lot of discussion in tha past about properly
configured /etc/hosts files. is the interface you want afpd to bind to
named in /etc/hosts? it might be helpful to make sure both the client
and the server have proper forward & reverse dns entries, or at least
/etc/hosts entries.

> >it was running and it didn't work.

<snip>

---

From: Eric Long <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:13:03 -0600

Thank you, sir.

I am not running netatalk 1.4b2 + asun, so this explains everything.  Sadly,
1.4b2 + asun from the FreeBSD ports package does not compile.  Yet another
thing to research.

Thanks.

-Eric

> At 4:24?? -0600 3.19.01, Eric Long wrote:

---

From: Eric Long <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:14:52 -0600

> then afpd has something to bind to.

Understood.

> Escape character is '^]'.

Did that, didn't work.  See my message in response to another posting to
this list.  I do not have 1.4b2 + asun extensions installed.

> over TCP/IP", don't you mean appleshare over tcp/ip?

Yes, of course.

> and the server have proper forward & reverse dns entries, or at least

/etc/hosts is fine as are forward and reverse dns.  I need to get past the
compiling errors of 1.4b2 + asun.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-Eric

---

From: "Eng. Fernando Meirelles Vieira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 22:48:26 -0300

I have a net Linux RedHat 6.2 with 4 mac and 4 pc,
with samba and AppleTalk: netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3,
has 3 HD - 1 SCSI 4,5 - 1 IDE 20G - 1 IDE 30G,
when 1 or more workstation records in HD 30G the station MAC locks

"Samba" not erro

It follows log in the moment of the mistake + / - 10:16:

/var/log/messages

Mar 21 10:11:33 linux last message repeated 2 times
Mar 21 10:12:37 linux last message repeated 2 times
======================
Mar 21 10:13:09 linux modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-6
Mar 21 10:13:39 linux afpd[1469]: afp_alarm: child timed out
Mar 21 10:13:39 linux afpd[1469]: 30048.99KB read, 1122.12KB written
Mar 21 10:13:39 linux PAM_pwdb[1469]: (netatalk) session closed for user
fernando
Mar 21 10:13:39 linux afpd[1276]: server_child[1] 1469 exited 1
======================
Mar 21 10:13:41 linux modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-6
Mar 21 10:14:13 linux modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-6
======================
Mar 21 10:15:17 linux last message repeated 2 times
Mar 21 10:16:21 linux last message repeated 2 times
Mar 21 10:16:24 linux afpd[1649]: ASIP session:548(1) from
10.10.10.169:49152(2)
Mar 21 10:16:24 linux afpd[1276]: server_child[1] 1649 done
Mar 21 10:16:35 linux afpd[1652]: ASIP session:548(1) from
10.10.10.169:49153(2)
Mar 21 10:16:35 linux PAM_pwdb[1652]: (netatalk) session opened for user
fernando by (uid=0)
Mar 21 10:16:35 linux afpd[1652]: login fernando (uid 500, gid 4)
Mar 21 10:16:35 linux afpd[1652]: afp_getsrvrparms: stat /home/fernando: No
such file or directory
Mar 21 10:16:53 linux modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-6
Mar 21 10:17:25 linux modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-6
Mar 21 10:18:29 linux last message repeated 2 times

[]s
Fernando
[email-masked]
Brazil

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:15:52 -0800 (PST)

Looks like your AppleVolumes.default is still at its default of ~ (make
home directories mountable).  If that's not your intention, you need to
either modify AppleVolumes.default or create a home directory for this
user.

As for size, I'm pretty sure I read that 20G is pretty much the maximum
netatalk 1.4b2 or MacOS (or both?) can understand.  Some changes have been
made in the 1.5 prereleases to break the 20G barrier, but I'm not quite
sure how it's handled.  If it was a MacOS problem, I'd write the code to
always return 20G free if the free space is >= 20G.  But I'm not sure how
that patch was written.  I work with a 2G hard drive, so it's not
something I've had the opportunity to play around with.  :)

> Mar 21 10:12:37 linux last message repeated 2 times

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/

---

From: "Eng. Fernando Meirelles Vieira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:38:46 -0300

Thank you for the clue, more I will
admit that I don't know how to configure
AppleVolumes.default correctly.

My parameters are:

papd.conf <--- Pattern of the installation
afpd.conf <--- Pattern of the installation
config <--- Pattern of the installation
AppleVolumes.system <--- Pattern of the installation

AppleVolumes.default
=======================================
/home/fernando
/home/dir-pc
/home/hdrede hdrede access=fernando,henrique,marcelo,@adm,@trabalho
/home/hd30 hd30 access=fernando,henrique,marcelo,@adm,@trabalho
/mnt/cdrom
~
=======================================

atalk.conf
=======================================
eth1 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.162
=======================================

---

From: "Bruce A. Burdick, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:48:42 -0600

I have a G3 with a 45GB drive under OS 9.1. Everything on the drive is
accessible. And the Finder accurately displays the space. So if it is a Mac
problem, it must be an earlier system.

-B...

> From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:15:52 -0800 (PST)
> To: "Eng. Fernando Meirelles Vieira" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: station locks
> Resent-From: [email-masked]
> Resent-Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:20:49 -0500 (EST)
>

---

From: David R Bosso <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 19:11:32 -0800

> something I've had the opportunity to play around with.  :)

Interesting.  I've got a 40G+ partition working fine with the last asun 
version, I haven't got around to installing one of the 1.5 prereleases yet.

-David

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:28:25 -0800 (PST)

Take out the ~ line from AppleVolumes.default and that error should go
away.  

However, please note that users who have home directories on your system
will lose Appletalk access to them when that line is removed.  I'm not
sure how to make that "if the user has a home directory, make it
available, else ignore it."  Does anyone know how?  Even if Fernando
doesn't need that info, I'd like to know.