Subject: Re: Netatalk

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:40:26 -0400

buzinc wrote:

> Dear Jeff
> Thanks for your reply. Bit puzzled not being computer literate, what am I
> looking for in the Applevolumes.default file. Also what is the "man" page
> with "applevolumes.default". Sorry, but being used to MacOS and Windows NT
> you dont need the manual. The version of netatalk is 1.5pre6. Below is my
> applevolumes.default file. At a guess, it already tells you stuff you
> already know. I need to make this server stable and easy to setup, hence
> using Windows NT, but I object paying Microsoft obscene amounts of cash.

Generally, the power of open-source software isn't the price, but more 
the extensive support network and fast turnarounds.

Much documentation exists in one form or another for netatalk. If you 
are not yet familiar with online documentation, please familiarize 
yourself with man pages, and such things, as it will make much 
configuration and setup in the future easier on you (and will save you a 
lot of money in books).

The quick explaination is that man pages are "manual" pages, which are 
viewed using "man". So you type "man" then the program or config file 
you want help on, and it will give you a plethora of information in most 
cases.

The AppleVolumes.default file is quite self-explainatory, and follows 
the format of the majority of many Linux configuration files. Each line 
is a separate share, in the format specified in the page. Please read 
the comments therein, and try to follow that format. If you have any 
questions on what the options do, please either ask me, or post a 
question to the netatalk admins list ([email-masked]) where 
someone will be happy to assist you.

Thanks,
Jeff

(As an aside, you *do* need the manual to properly use many of the 
low-level features in NT. Its online help is simply a graphical version 
of "man".)