Subject: CNID info and compile issues on SUSE 7.1 PPC

From: Joe Rhodes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:56:32 -0800 (PST)

Hey Gang:
	I have what I hope isn't too stupid a question.  I've been trying to
compile the 1.5pre8 release ala the tarball on SourceForge.  While reading
the documentation, and some of the recent e-mails, I keep running across
references to a CNID database.  But I never quite get an explanation of what
it is or what it does.  I got a vague idea once that it might be usefull in
doing sherlock "find" searches, but even that was not for sure.  A look on
Apple's web site said that CNID's have something to do with apple file
meta-data, but I couldn't really understand more than that.

	Could someone explain what the option --enable-cnid-db does and why this
option might be (or might not be) advantageous?

	Also, being the currious cat that I am, I have been attemtpting to compile
with this option on an SUSE 7.1 PPC box.  When I run the configure script,
it barfs saying it cannot find the Berkeley DB directory.  However, I have
explicityly given it the --with-db3=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3 which is right
where my freshly installed version of the DB 3.3 lives, complete with
enclosed include and lib directories, among others.  Any clues?

	I have been able to get it to compile w/o the CNID option.  The atalkd
process will Seg fault when started, but afpd works fine, which is all I
require at the moment (for testing puposes).  I'll tackle that one later. 
My guess is it's just config options that need to be tweaked somehow.

	My "production" machine is a RedHat 7.1 box running 1.5pre7 on a Dual PIII.
I noticed some speed improvement with 1.5pre8 on my PPC box as opposed to
the pre7 on the same box, so I'm interested in moving the the pre8 on the RH
box once I know I can get it going with minimal fuss.

	And lest I forget, here's a huge hats off to all the people working on the
code.  I simply don't have the skill to write something like this.  I've
been using Netatalk now for about 2-3 years.  Man, has it gotten better! 
You all deserve a big round of applause.

Cheers!
-Joe Rhodes

_______________________________________________________
Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/

---

From: Stew Benedict <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 10:10:42 -0500 (EST)

As Mandrake is doing a PPC version now, and netatalk is important to those
folks, I'm trying to clean up the contributed RPM and roll it officially
into contribs. Before submitting, all RPM's are subjected to rpmlint and
the netatalk one gives these errors:

E: netatalk library-not-linked-against-libc
/usr/lib/atalk/uams/uams_dhx_passwd.so
E: netatalk library-not-linked-against-libc
/usr/lib/atalk/uams/uams_guest.so
E: netatalk library-not-linked-against-libc
/usr/lib/atalk/uams/uams_passwd.so
E: netatalk library-not-linked-against-libc
/usr/lib/atalk/uams/uams_pgp.so
E: netatalk library-not-linked-against-libc
/usr/lib/atalk/uams/uams_randnum.so

Does anyone have any idea what this means and what I can do to rectify it?
I tried using %make macro instead of plain make, but that doesn't seem to
do it either.

thanks,
Stew Benedict