Subject: What if 'add "alias net-pf-5 appletalk" ' doesn't work?

From: paul beard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 15:44:48 -0800 (PST)

If anyone has any insight on this problem, I'd like to hear it, but please only
if you've actually read my earlier post and understand that I am running Redhat
7 (ie,  the conf.modules file has been renamed to modules.conf  and I'm not
sure the syntax is right anymore), that I want to know how to make pure DDP
appletalk work, ie. non-tcp and with servers appearing in the Chooser. 

yes, I have now read Harry Zink's .sig, and no, it doesn't work anymore. If
this is such an oft-repeated piece of information, why hasn't it been added to
the post-install script in the RPMs, as the changes to /etc/services are? 

To steal a page from Harry Zink ("self-evangelization does not serve anyone"),
if you're going to fill my mailbox with ranting, spare yourself the keystrokes.

=====
--
Paul Beard
8040 27th Ave NE / Seattle WA 98115
206 529 8400 / 713 5671 (cell)

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - Buy the things you want at great prices.
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:44:21 +1100

> appletalk work, ie. non-tcp and with servers appearing in the Chooser.

 The modules.conf is just conf.modules renamed.

 However putting in the 'alias' line isnt going to work if the AppleTalk
module was never compiled/installed in the first place.
 See if there is an appletalk.o modules in the appropiate place under
/lib/modules/. It is possible that since RH don't install netatalk they
now also don't install the appletalk module.

 I am running AppleTalk on RH7 boxen, but I have in each case compiled
my own 2.4 kernel for them and made sure that the AppleTalk module is
built and installed.

-- 
Matthew Geier			[email-masked]
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713
Sydney University