Subject: NETATALK limitsize Problem

From: Andrei Verovski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:41:57 +0200

Hi,

I have a problem with Netatalk 1.5 from SuSE 7.3. In short, in order old 
Macs get working with 40 GB shared volume NETATALK should report that 
share size is only 2 GB, otherwise old Mac recognizes 22 MB folder with a 
lot of small files as being over 400 MB (old MacOS does  understands only 
volumes with fixed number of sectors).

NETATALK has an option called limitsize, however, I have been unable to 
get it working. I have tried "~  option:limitisize", "~  
limitsize:2048000000", "~  option:limitisize:2048000000". Tilde ("~") 
means user-home-dir sharing by default.

I have removed all other options, but it does not seem working anyway. It 
seems this options is just being ignored (or may be I have used wrong 
syntax?).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Andrei

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:12:49 +0100

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:41:57 +0200, Andrei Verovski wrote:

[limitsize AppleDouble.defaults option]
> seems this options is just being ignored (or may be I have used wrong

I played with this switch too to see whether some of these options are
ignored. To me, it seems that both crlf and limitsize aren't working at all,
if I try it with (hope that's the correct syntax):

    options:crlf,limitsize

IMO, the comments in Applevolumes.default are a bit confusing. At the top of
the file, one can read:

# path [name] [casefold:x] [codepage:y] [options:z,l,j] \
#   [allow:a,@b,c,d] [deny:a,@b,c,d] [dbpath:path] [password:p] \
#   [rwlist:a,@b,c,d] [rolist:a,@b,c,d] [limitsize:value in bytes]
                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
But that leads to an error message in syslog: 'ignoring unknown volume
option: limitsize:2147483647'

Maybe one of the developers can give us a hint, whether these two options
are of no significance any longer?

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Wolf Drechsel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:25:19 +0100

>if I try it with (hope that's the correct syntax):
I had the same experience with

options=crlf

on a netatalk 1.42+asun.

It seems, as if the syntax has changed (from "=" to ":"), but I can 
state the same sort of problem:

No effect at all.

)-:

WD
-- 
************************************************************
# Gesellschaft für fahrgastorientierte Verkehrsplanung b.R.
# Köhnstr. 54   D-90478 Nürnberg
#
# Telephon: 0911/4 71 98 49
# Telefax: 0911/47 39 36
#
# [email-masked]
# www.verkehrsplanung.com
#************************************************************

---

From: Ken Gillett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 14:12:10 +0000

>volumes with fixed number of sectors).

Am I going to have a problem sharing a 120 Gb HD?
-- 

Ken  G i l l e t t

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Feb 2002 09:30:48 -0500

> Am I going to have a problem sharing a 120 Gb HD?

	Only to very old Macs.
-- 

Matthew Keller
Enterprise System Analyst
Computing & Technology Services
Information Services Division
State University of NY at Potsdam
Potsdam, NY USA

http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 02:12:45 +0100

Well, I didn't ever play with the crlf option myself because I
just need a reliable AppleTalk server and avoid troublesome options
like the plague ...

Anyway, my guess, to achieve working crlf translation you
need to edit AppleVolumes.system:

# default translation -- note that CR <-> LF translation is done on all
# files of type TEXT.  The first line turns off translation for files of
# unknown type, the second turns this translation on.
.    "BINA"   "UNIX"   Unix Binary   Unix        application/octet-stream
# .  "TEXT"   "ttxt"   ASCII Text    SimpleText  text/plain

insert a comment sign at the beginning of the first line, and
uncomment the second line.

-Thomas

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:37:25 +0100

> need to edit AppleVolumes.system:

Hmm... From my understanding the two possibilities below presuppose that
crlf itself *is* already working.

> # files of type TEXT.

I've had some problems years ago with Netatalk and crlf translation turned
on caused by some applications saving their documents first as type "TEXT"
and changing this later to a more appropriate one (so in fact these files
were binary files, that were destroyed by the lineending mapping)

Yesterday I thought, that crlf translation doesn't work for me on files of
type "TEXT" anymore, regardless whether I specify the crlf option or not.

Today I realized that it works (Netatalk 1.5.2 -- nothing changed
intentionally since yesterday?) but it has nothing to do with the following
two entries.

> # The first line turns off translation for files of

AFAIK these two alternatives are just for the handling of files with an
unknown filename suffix (without an entry in AppleVolumes.system) that
weren't created from a mac but from the shell or via samba, etc.

Given, you have a file called 'exmaple.xyz' (and no mapping for .xyz defined
in AppleVolumes.system), the first entry will display this file to a Mac
with filetype "BINA" and creator "UNIX" (also preventing crlf translation)
and the second will display it as a SimpleText file (and does crlf mapping
*if* options=crlf is set for the specific volume).

Tests with 'echo -e "foo\nbar" >test.txt' and 'echo -e "foo\nbar" >test.xyz'
(and varying crlf and "BINA/UNIX" vs. "TEXT/ttxt" settings) show this
behaviour.

Regards,

Thomas