Subject: netatalk won't let me upload large files

From: Sébastien Sainte-Marie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:49:56 +0200

Hi

I've just installed netatalk 1.5pre6 because I thought it could help me 
resolve a problem that appeared recently in the default 1.4b2 that was 
in the Linux yellow dog distribution.

The problem that appeared was the impossibility to upload on the server 
a large file (>1Mb) via the mounted netatalk volume. We can copy big 
files from the server to the differents Mac but not from the Mac to the 
server. Surprisingly, it's possible to upload a large file via 
appleshare ip over the internet.

I just don't understand why I have this error since it appeared without 
modifying anything for netatalk.

when I launch it it writes:

socket: invalid argument
socket: invalid argument
atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting

the thing that amaze me is that I havn't touched to atalk files or 
configuration. This problem appeared like this... I sincerely don't 
understand what happened. I hope someone will be able to help me.

Sebastien

---

From: charlie wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 12:14:46 -0700

Hi Sebastien,

The error messages are system errors generated when your kernel lacks
AppleTalk support, and your ability to upload large files via ASIP is due to
the successful functionality of afpd, not atalkd. I doubt that your server
even shows up in your Chooser, based upon those error messages, so the
failed large file transfer confuses me slightly.

To get AppleTalk working correctly, you must either recompile your kernel to
include AppleTalk support, or load the AppleTalk module either at boot or
prior to launching atalkd. Here's how:

To check if your kernel supports AppleTalk, use this command:

dmesg | grep AppleTalk

This is the simplest way I can think of to discover if AppleTalk
functionality loaded at boot out of the kernel. If there is no output, then
AppleTalk support is not a part of your current kernel build. Most "modern"
kernels (2.x and greater for Red Hat Linux, for example) have AppleTalk
support built in. Check your kernel version:

uname -r

Now, check your system documentation to see if your kernel version even
supports AppleTalk built in. If it does, then recompile your kernel to
include AppleTalk support. If your kernel does not, you can add AppleTalk
support as a module. This is generally better, because it affords you
control of your AppleTalk services independent of your system. To see if
AppleTalk support is loaded as a module (unlikely, unless you added it), use
this command:

lsmod | grep appletalk

...this will check the list of currently loaded modules for the AppleTalk
module. If you still have no response from your system, then the AppleTalk
module is not loaded. If you have it available on your drive, you can
activate it thus:

insmod <path>/appletalk.o

...where <path> is the path to your system libraries.

RedHat 7.1 keeps the module here:

/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/net/appletalk/appletalk.o

...on many systems, the module can be found here:

/lib/modules/misc/appletalk.o

...of course you can always:

find / -name appletalk

If it's not available at all on your system, check your install disks and
copy it from there. Failing that, go to the company's website and sniff
around there. Download it, dump it in your modules directory and load it
prior to launching atalkd.

Hope this info helps.

There's also a pretty good tutorial regarding using AppleTalk services under
Linux here:

http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-04/lw-04-uptime.html

cheers,

</charlie>

_____________________________
Charlie Wood

IT Manager
ID, Incorporated
1620 SW Taylor St Suite 100 Portland, OR 97205
{v} 503-223-7737   {f} 503-223-2719
{e} [email-masked]   {w} http://www.id-inc.com

--

> From: Sébastien Sainte-Marie <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:49:56 +0200
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: netatalk won't let me upload large files
> Resent-From: [email-masked]
> Resent-Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 02:52:01 -0400 (EDT)
> 
> Hi
>

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 23:03:58 +0200

> appleshare ip over the internet.

just out of couriosity, is your server also acting as a firewall or
does it employ any kind of IP filtering?

- last weekend i did upgrade my home network from 10 Mbit to 100 Mbit
and I instantly got hitten by a kernel bug (2.4.4-4GB) which didn't show
up at 10 Mbit access. I couldn't upload large files to the server anymore,
broken stream etc ... several attempts later the Linux box crashed.

after I had disabled firewall, AplleShare transfers reverted back to
rocksolid.

> atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting

I don't believe these messages are related to your upload problems
 
> understand what happened. I hope someone will be able to help me.

good luck,
-Thomas

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers