Subject: SLP v/s afpd bound to non-standard port

From: Ashok Aiyar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 16:32:20 -0600 (CST)

I have an ASIP v/s SLP question.  I am running afpds bound to different
TCP ports (548, 2524) that show up by different names under the Chooser.

>From the chooser I can also connect to these afpds by clicking on "server
IP address", and entering names formatted as "FQDN:port", or specifically
in my case "ebv.mimnet.nwu.edu:548" or "ebv.mimnet.nwu.edu:2524" (yes,
I know the 548 is not required in the first example).

Using slptool from OpenSLP (1.0.7), I have registered these afpds, using
what I am fairly sure are syntactically correct commands, and when I
run `slptool findsrvs afp`, I get the following response:

afp://165.124.253.94/?NAME=Aiyar Strider Files,65535
afp://165.124.253.94:2524/?NAME=Aiyar LinuxPC (ebv),65535

These show up in the Network Browser (with the appropriate names), but
when I click on them, I can only connect to the afpd bound to the
default port.  I cannot connect to the afpd bound to the alternative
port.

Is this a limitation in Network Browser?  Can anyone else get it to
connect to an afpd bound to a non-standard port?  I am using MacOS 9.2.2,
and Network Browser version 2.0.

Curious,
Ashok

P.S. The specific commands I used with `slptool` were:

slptool register afp://165.124.253.94/?NAME="Aiyar Strider Files"
slptool register afp://165.124.253.94:2524/?NAME="Aiyar LinuxPC (ebv)"
-- 
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor                    email: [email-masked]
Department of Microbiology-Immunology           office: (312) 503-2524
303 E. Chicago Avenue, WARD 4-123                  lab: (312) 503-2542
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611         fax: (312) 503-1339