Subject: PAPD and LPR...

From: Darron Froese <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 21:10:38 -0700

I'm trying to set up a print server for the growing number of PC's in our
all Mac office. The printer is a Xerox Docuprint N32 - I'm running Mandrake
7.0 on the print server and cannot upgrade.

After I get it printing from the command line in Linux, I'm going to set up
Samba to share it for the PC's.

I'm running into a few problems.

/etc/printcap:

laser|lp|Design Black and White:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/designbw:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:pw#80:hl:\
        :of=/usr/sbin/ofpap:\
        :if=/usr/sbin/ifpaprev:\
        :tf=/usr/sbin/tfpaprev:

When I print using this setup, all I get is a large page with:

Username

Filename

Domainname

    Job: filename
    Date: Current date.

All of this is in ASCII art - which is quite nice - but I really want to
print. All I need to be able to print is Postscript (from Windows PC's) and
possibly plain text from Linux.

I can print with pap directly:

[root@gateway /root]# pap -p "Design Black & White":LaserWriter shovel.eps
Trying 65408.130:250 ...
status: idle 
status: idle 
Connected to Design Black & White:LaserWriter@*.
Connection closed.

I have looked through all of the howto's that I could find. I also found a
couple really good pages with info - but not the right info it seems:

<http://www.giub.unibe.ch/~eugster/appleprint.html>
<http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-04/lw-04-uptime.html>

Anyone got a pointer or tip for me?

Thanks.
-- 
Darron
[email-masked]

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 23:03:42 -0800 (PST)

>         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:pw#80:hl:\

Why not send your jobs to the Xerox using the LPD protocol?  I'd be
surprised if this printer only does appletalk printing.  Just modify your
printcap to:

laser|lp|Design Black and White:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/designbw:\
	:rm=hostname.of.printer.org:\
	:rp=raw:\
	:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:pw#80:hl:\
	:if=/var/spool/lpd/designbw/filter:

The rm option is the IP address or hostname of the printer.  The rp option
specifies the name of a queue on the remote machine, which varies from
printer to printer.  On HP printers, the "raw" queue tells the printer
that the job is already formatted for the printer.  I'm not sure about my
setting for the if option above.  That is what I had in my printcap, but
it may be different on Mandrake 7.  You should probably use Mandrake's GUI
tool to create the printer.  Just tell it you want to print to a remote
LPD printer.

	Andy