Subject: Re: URGENT -- Strange troubles with "atalk" on Linux...

From: "Bryn Hughes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:14:00 -0700

This is a very well known problem.  It affects Quark with all sorts of servers... I've seen it on Novell, WinNT, even AppleShare IP servers.  The fact that it only happens with Quark gives you a clue as to where the problem is...

Bryn

>>> Rainer Hantsch <[email-masked]> - 4/12/01 8:28 AM >>>
Dear Gentlemen,

some months ago I installed at two of my customers LINUX servers. These
servers basically work very fine, but there is one particular problem and I
have absolutely no further idea about how to fix it.
Therefore I PLEASE you to help. -- Thanks in advance.

Systems:
--------
Both companies run SuSE Linux 6.4 (kernel 2.2.17 || kernel 2.2.14). Meanwhile
both of them run a special version of atalkd and afpd which is used from a
friend since a lot of time and fixes many connection troubles which occure
with the originally included atalk-version.
So everything is fine with all macintosh applications, EXCEPT QUARK XPRESS.

I contacted Quark Inc., and they already KNOW this problem, but they cannot
reliabily reproduce it. So they have it on the to-do list, but currently they
have no fix for it.

Problem:
--------
While all other programs have no problems with working on/with files on the
SuSE server, XPRESS permanently has difficulties. It can i.e. open files from
the server, but you cannot save them after editing. Also, "save as" does not
work! The problem grows, because it is also very problematic to print jobs if
they are stored on the server.

As emergency workaround, they currently copy all required files to the local
disk on the Macs before editing and store them back after doing the work (or
forget to do that and cause hereby "data chaos")...

Interesting is that one of the companies also has a helios machine, where no
such problems exist, so I guess that XPRESS does something or uses some
features which are supported by helios, but not by atalkd/afpd.

My questions:
-------------
o  Do you already know this problem?
o  Do you have a version of appletalk which is trouble-free?
o  Do you know at least a better workaround than working local?

Please, be so kind and HELP. Both companies are strongly handicaped because of
this nasty problem and are currently not very happy therefore.

Thanks in advance for your soon answer,

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch

      \\|//           Ing. Rainer HANTSCH  -  Hardware + Software
      (o o)           Your Partner - Your Supplier - Your Friend!
--oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------------------------------------------
Ing. Rainer HANTSCH  |  e-Mail: [email-masked]
Khunngasse 21/20     |  www   : http://www.hantsch.co.at
A-1030 Vienna        |  Tel.  : ++43 - 1 - 7988538 0 
---------------------|  Fax   : ++43 - 1 - 7988538 18
** AUSTRIA **        |  Mobile: ++43 - 663 - 9194382
-----------------------------------------------------------------