Subject: Mac OS X - connecting to Netatalk servers

From: "David J. Shaub" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:05:30 -0500

Although I haven't helped anyone on this list yet - maybe one day I can.

I have been playing around with Mac OS X and it seems there is a 
problem.  Netatalk volumes are not accessible.  While watching 
/var/log/messages, it seems the authentication goes through.  You then 
get your list of accessible shares, but when you attempt to mount them - 
the server disconnects the client(Mac OS X box).  In the log you see:

Mar 15 19:57:50 macsupport afpd[8556]: ASIP session:548(2) from 
153.39.168.41:49288(0)
Mar 15 19:57:50 macsupport afpd[818]: server_child[1] 8556 done
Mar 15 19:57:58 macsupport afpd[8557]: ASIP session:548(2) from 
153.39.168.41:49289(0)
Mar 15 19:57:58 macsupport afpd[8557]: dhx login: dshaub
Mar 15 19:57:58 macsupport PAM_pwdb[8557]: (netatalk) session opened for 
user dshaub by (uid=0)
Mar 15 19:57:58 macsupport afpd[8557]: login dshaub (uid 501, gid 501)
Mar 15 19:58:05 macsupport afpd[8557]: dsi_stream_read(0): No such 
process
Mar 15 19:58:05 macsupport PAM_pwdb[8557]: (netatalk) session closed for 
user dshaub
Mar 15 19:58:05 macsupport afpd[8557]: 0.84KB read, 8.92KB written
Mar 15 19:58:05 macsupport afpd[8557]: Connection terminated
Mar 15 19:58:05 macsupport afpd[818]: server_child[1] 8557 exited 1

On the machine attempting to connect you get:

Disconnected
The file server "macsupport" connection has unexpectedly closed down.

My Netatalk boxes are all Redhat 7 running on various Dell hardware  
I've tried 1.5 as well as the old 1.4+asun version that was always 
recommended.  I know it may be silly to expect the non final version of 
OS X to work perfectly - but I am a little suspicious that Apple has 
made some changes that will need to be adjusted to.  Mounting OS 9 or 
AppleShare IP servers work fine. If anyone has ideas - I would love to 
hear!

Thanks,
David Shaub

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 19:27:54 -0600 (CST)

To get an amaxing amount of verbosity, so (on Mac OS X):

setenv AFP_DEBUG_LEVEL 8

then

bartosh% mount_afp 
usage: mount_afp [-o option1[,option2...]] 
                afp://[username:password]@rhost[:port]/volume node

Later-

-mab