Subject: netatalk & quark 4.1 sort of solved

From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 19:06:20 +1000

Hi all,

after much pain & perseverance, the following config line, startup scripts &
permissions appear to work mostly satisfactorily. Outstanding issues are:

- Network Trash
- Printing
- User level security
- Useful output in messages (--enable-debug is useless), and the standard
output I get has no bearing on the problems I'm experiencing

Configure:

./configure  --prefix=/usr/local/netatalk --mandir=/usr/local/man --sysconfd
ir=/etc/netatalk \
--with-config-dir=/etc/netatalk --with-ssl-dir=/usr/local/openssl --enable-t
imelord \
--enable-lastdid --enable-dropkludge --with-flock-locks

Permissions:
Accessed by guest, nobody.nobody writing files all over the place (eek!)

atalkd.conf
eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.179

afpd.conf
"Bob" -uamlist uams_guest.so -guestname "nobody"  #grrr.... enable guests to
login

AppleVolumes.default
/wip "WIP"

If anyone is after any specific help then email me off the list, otherwise,
the above will get you a mostly happy netatalk configuration, where Quark
Xpress 4.1 clients can happily open/close/save files etc.

Cheers,

Chris Herrmann
Far Edge Technology

p. 02 99553640
f. 02 99547994
m. 0403 393309
http://www.faredge.com.au

---

From: "Kevin M. Myer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:58:05 -0400 (EDT)

> --enable-lastdid --enable-dropkludge --with-flock-locks

--with-flock-locks disables byte-locks and enables the old locking style,
which essentially disables locking (it seemed totally broken to me under
Linux).  So thats why Quark works - nothing is being locked.

(And it looks like the email I had drafted to send you is still sitting in
my draft folder so here's the gist of it)

Quark with --flock-locks works but byte-locking doesn't.
Byte-locking works with fcntl style locks but Quark doesn't.

If Quark is your only priority, use --with-flock-locks.  If byte-locking
is more important, you'll get fcntl locks if you specify no locking scheme
and more than one person won't be open a file read/write at the same time.
For me, Quark users are a minority here so I opted for byte-locking but
your situation may be different.

For anyone searching the archives and finding this listed:

NB the caveats involved with using --with-flock-locks.

Kevin
-- 
Kevin M. Myer
Systems Administrator
Lancaster-Lebanon Intermediate Unit 13
(717)-560-6140

---

From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:08:32 +1000

wrong - files are still locked - if a user has a file open, another user
can't open/move the same file. (yes i've tested it!). It looks it for samba
too (ie. a samba user can't move a file that a mac person has open).

unfortunately for us, quark is a huge priority - it's pretty much the only
program that's used beside photoshop & dreamweaver. Interestingly, photoshop
exibits some of the same problems as quark, but not as severly.

Thanks though - it's been a long and painful path to something useful.

Do you have any grief with network trash?

Cheers,

Chris