Subject: No server in chooser...newbie

From: r a n d y // <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 13:59:24 -0800

I know this has probably been addressed about a million times. I just
subscribed to the list and have been looking through the archive but still
can't find a definitive solution to my problem. I can connect to my server
using the IP but nothing shows up in chooser when I select AppleShare.

Here's what I'm working with:
FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE i386
2 10/100BT NIC (Kingston) dc0 & dc1
dc0 is connected to the net via PPPoE
dc1 is connected to the MAC

#> ifconfig -u
dc0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::2c0:f0ff:fe5a:919a%dc0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        atalk 65280.223 range 65280-65534 phase 2 broadcast 0.255
        ether 00:c0:f0:5a:91:9a
        media: autoselect (10baseT/UTP) status: active
        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
10baseT/UTP <full-du
plex> 10baseT/UTP none
dc1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.100.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.100.255
        inet6 fe80::2c0:f0ff:fe56:8d51%dc1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        ether 00:c0:f0:56:8d:51
        media: autoselect (10baseT/UTP) status: active
        supported media: autoselect 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX
10baseT/UTP <full-du
plex> 10baseT/UTP none

The only modifications I have made to anyof the conf files was to
AppleVolumes.system:
#
HOME
/usr/share/muzak "MUZAK"
#

Shouldn't my second NIC (dc1) have an atalk address bound to it since that's
what's connected to my MAC? I have tried changing atalkd.conf but it gets
over-ridden when I reboot.

I have read just about every file/doc/man on my system as well as most of
the links found on asun's site. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
- randy
=============================
r a n d y / sesser at mac.com

---

From: r a n d y // <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 14:18:32 -0800

You know what...nevermind...I just switched around the cables and configs so
that PPPoE was working on dc1 and the MAC is now on dc0 and that solved my
problem....sorry to post this before trying that.

It's amazing what you can learn if you just pull your head out once in a
while :)

- randy

> From: r a n d y // <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 13:59:24 -0800
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: No server in chooser...newbie
> 
> I have read just about every file/doc/man on my system as well as most of the
> links found on asun's site. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> 
> Thanks,
> - randy

---

From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 17:18:27 -0500

Yes, that's definitely a problem, but I'm not at all familiar with *BSD
systems.  My other newbie response might help . . . and then again,
maybe not.

					-- Bob Rogers

---

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 19:38:17 -0800

just fought this one off myself.

your atalkd is binding only to the first interface it finds, in this
case, dc0.

atalkd.conf gets over-written every time you start atalkd, using what
you put in there as, well, i guess hints is the way i'd explain it.

i believe you could resolve this problem 2 ways:

1. an atalkd.conf file that contains one line:

dc1

atalkd will pick up existing appletalk zone info on that interface and
not bind to dc0. if there is no appletalk zone/cable ranges etc on that
network, it will put itself in the "*" zone along with your mac.

2. explicitly name & seed zones for both interfaces:

dc0 -seed -phase 2 -zone <Zone1> -addr <address1> -net <net1> 
dc1 -seed -phase 2 -zone <Zone2> -addr <address2> -net <net2> 

my interfaces are called eth0 and eth1:

eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 1-2 -addr 1.99 -zone "inside"
eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 3-4 -addr 3.99 -zone "outside"

the small net ranges suffice for my small home network.

don't try this in an office setting, unless you know there are no
pre-existing appletalk zones/routers (not to mention some sort of vague
notion of an appletalk zone scheme for the whole joint)! your network
admin will hunt me down ...

oh, and let me know if this helps. i'll be away for a few days, but can
follow up next wednesday if needed.