Subject: DID & trashed files (again)

From: Nigel Pegram <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 10:29:36 +1000

Hi,

I am running Netatalk 1.4.99-0.20000927 on an intel 486 box (Debian Linux,
kernel version 2.2.1) with two Macs connected (running system 8.1. and 8.6).
Mostly this has been quite reliable, but today we found that a file copy
caused the Finder to freeze and the files in the netatalk shared folder to
be trashed (almost all were deleted).

When looking in the syslog I found two error messages which may be relevant.
Repeated many times was: afpd: Warning DID conflict ... are these the same
file. Also in the logs there was an afpd error: afpd-enumerate: stat ... No
such file or directory.

Occasionally I have had problems with the G4 (system 8.6) with unexpected
disconnection from the Appleshare volume. Since the 8.1 machine was
continuing fine on the same volume, I assume it was a problem with the G4.
Now I'm not so sure.

I noted the discussion regarding DID conflict at the end of last year in the
mailing list archive and wondered if there are any solutions/workarounds. I
cannot find an archive of the 2001 list messages (any URLs?).

TIA
Nigel.

---

From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:19:39 +1000

I'm having some serious grief with directories disappearing from appletalk
shares. A 3G directory disappeared this morning (ouch) so I'm busy restoring
it from tape.

is netatalk 1.5pre6, kernel 2.4.2 (RH7.1) over appletalk (not appletalk over
tcp/ip). Lots of DID messages appearing in /var/log/messages

-----Original Message-----
From: Nigel Pegram [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Saturday, 21 July 2001 10:30
To: [email-masked]
Subject: DID & trashed files (again)

Hi,

TIA
Nigel.

---

From: Nigel Pegram <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 13:01:16 +1000

Chris,

Things for us seem to have settled down once we deleted all files remaining
in the shared directory and reinstalled from our backup.

So far so good ...

Do you have any idea why this is happening? Given your version is much later
than mine, it doesn't seem to have been fixed since the discussion I'd noted
late last year.

I'm using Appletalk, not TCP/IP, although both transports are enabled in my
afpd.conf file.

Nigel.

> From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:19:39 +1000
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: RE: DID & trashed files (again)
> Resent-From: [email-masked]
> Resent-Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 22:28:45 -0400 (EDT)
>

---

From: Mac Conin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:20:21 +0200

hmm

we've installed here a system an put a reiser file system on it. It
seems to me that the reiser system does the file handling somehow
different. before he had the same DID conflicts, after the reiser
everythings worked fine (suse 7.1 2.2.4 and netatalk 1.56)

-- 
--schnippe-di-schnipp-- 

mit freundlichen grüssen

-----------------------------------------------------------
Mac Conin                        EUC Online Service GmbH
Geschäftsführer                  Taubengasse 9
[email-masked]                    D 50676 Koeln
http://www.euc.de                HRB Köln 32038
tel : +49-221-923 27 33          fax : +49-221-239 651
-----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:28:53 +1000

What config options did you use when you did it? Can you mail the first few
lines from config.status? Netatalk behaves very differently on different
kernels, and with different options selected...

Cheers,

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Mac Conin [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, 24 July 2001 17:20
To: Chris Herrmann
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: DID & trashed files (again)

hmm

--
--schnippe-di-schnipp--

mit freundlichen grüssen

---

From: Mac Conin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:35:53 +0200

Hey,

we are running netatalk 1.56 on suse 2.2.4 (I guess  but that is IMHO
not the point)
on an ibm netfinity 5100 dual 866MHz 240GB Raid System with NIC'S from
IBM 

All netatalk and samba partitions are running on reiser partitions- and
that is a very stable system. We use it here for our webservers - and
there is not a glitch - systems up approx. 250 to 300 days continiously.
BTW netatalk is also beta as reiser - so whats the heck?

configuration looks like:

AppleVolumes.default
...
/data2/kunden "Kunden"
#  for samba _and_ netatalk - don't mix them
# give samba an extra volume and only a volume to transfer files
/data2/transfer/ "TransferVol" codepage:maccode.iso8859-1

...

afpd.conf
...
"Chicko" -port 12000 -uampath /etc/atalk/uams/ -nlspath /etc/atalk/nls/
-loginmesg "Basta la Pasta"
"Conin"  -port 12001 -defaultvol /etc/atalk/conin/AppleVolumes.default 
-uampath  /etc/atalk/uams/ -nlspath /etc/atalk/nls/
...

you should give any 'server' an ascending port number. We've notices
here that
'no port' causes the mac not to recognize the connection to be switched
from ddp to tcp when a server is selected from the chooser

that's, what we did

configure --enable-suse --with-shadow --with-pam --with-flock-locks --with-uams-path=/etc/atalk/uams

changing to the netatalk directory

chown nobody <directory>
chgrp -R users *
chmod -R 2775 'directory' <- this is also good for samba  :)

starting the daemons

/usr/local/sbin/atalkd

the following is one line
/usr/local/sbin/afpd -f /etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default -F
/etc/atalk/afpd.conf -s /etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.system -c 200

SAMBA
---------
also chmod 2775
chown nobody
chgrp users

and calling the daemons
nmbd
smbd -s /etc/smb.conf

thats it.

there are some minor bugs as the 'can trash files only directly' and the
refresh time of client directories. printing runs momentararily directly
via tcp-ip

Hope that helps you a little bit further :)

-- 
--schnippe-di-schnipp-- 

mit freundlichen grüssen