Subject: Problem with Write Only Directory ...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 12:02:28 +0100

Hi!

Problem:

I am trying to allow User-A to write to a directory owned by User-Bs
directory. I have afpoverip running on a afpoverip server (netatalk
1.5.1.1). I have the users as described below:

- User 'UserA' & 'UserB'  are members of group 'GroupC'
- UserB shall be allowed to WRITE to the Upload (owned by UserA)

I have defined the following attributes on hte directories:

/home/UserA
     Owner: UserA.GroupC
     Acess: rwxr-xr-x

/home/UserA/Upload:
     Owner: UserB.GroupC
     Access: rwx-wx-wx

When I log into UserA, I am not able to drop files 'DIRECTLY' into the
'Upload' directory. But when UserA  drops a file/directory into
/home/UserA, and then MOVES the file/directory into /home/userA/Upload,
then it works!

What have I done wrong? How can I avoid the indirect 'DROP' operation (COPY
and then MOVE)? I get 'error 43' when I try to upload to /home/UserA/Upload
directly. When I look into the directory, the files have been created, but
NOT WRITTEN to (that is, zero bytes in both ".AppleDouble' directory and
the actual file/directory itself).

Is there a more general method to this 'UPLOAD WRITE' problem?

Regards
Per Erik