Subject: losing connection to server

From: Mac Conin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 16:30:06 +0100

hi there,

as a newbie to netatalk here's a (I guess) mostly often discussed question...

when loggin on to the linux server (suse 7.x, netatalk 1.5.x)
the server cuts up the connection afer a period of time. 

Is there a switch to keep the connections alive when they go idle?

-- 
--schnipp-- 

best regards

---------
Mac Conin

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 07:59:21 +1100

> Is there a switch to keep the connections alive when they go idle?

 An ASIP capable client that connects via AppleTalk instead of IP will
do this. Been discussed before, but no one has offered a solution. 
 I.E, on my installation if a MacOS 8.1 or later machine connects via
AppleTalk they will get booted off in about 5 minutes. Via TCP/IP it
works fine.
 I found some 8.6 machines connecting via AppleTalk instead of IP when
they were set to 'connect at startup'. We also run 'keyserver' which has
both AppleTalk and IP communications. When its set to IP, it forces the
IP stack to load before the AppleShare prep is read, thus IP is
available when the shares are mounted.
 The disconnection problem is still there, but the users don't notice
any more. (And get a faster fileshare connection in the deal..)

---

From: Mac Conin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 15:23:23 +0100

Thanks for the anser

The client i've used started first with a Appletalk-Connection to a
Novell-Server. When I then connected to the Linux-Box via TCP the
connection dropped.. After changing the order of mounting (first to the
Linux Box, afterwards to the AplleTalk-Connectio everytings seems fine.

Strange land ...

-- 
--schnipp-- 

mit freundlichen grüssen

-----------------------------------------------------------
Mac Conin                        EUC Online Service GmbH
Geschäftsführer                  Taubengasse 9
[email-masked]                    D 50676 Koeln
http://www.euc.de                HRB Köln 32038
tel : +49-221-923 27 33          fax : +49-221-239 651
-----------------------------------------------------------
EUC sponsort Clean up Cologne - eine Iniative der IHK Köln,
der Abfallwirtschaftsbetriebe Köln (AWB) und dem
Grünflächenamt der Stadt Köln. http://www.clean-up-cologne.de