Subject: Aliases: Are alternate filesystems worth trying?

From: "Richard Goldman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 13:30:22 -0400

Dear People,

A question, please, and your knowledge, and even guesses would 
be much appreciated:

I know from previous discussion that Macintosh aliases become 
"unhinged" from the files or directories they are supposed to point 
to because the alias contains some kind of ID (did?  inode?) that 
gets recycled by Linux.  Because of this (and the fact that the 
absolute path of the file isn't stored in the alias), the Mac alias can 
end up pointing somewhere else entirely.  At least such is my 
understanding.

So here's the question:

Is it Linux itself, at some "virtual" filesystem level, that is re-cycling 
these ID's, or is it due to the nature and operations of the ext2 
filesystem?

Put another way, is the alias problem (re: 1.5pre6 and previous) 
endemic to Linux, or do you think I'll have better luck if I try another 
filesystem (managable under Linux) such as ReiserFS or ext3 or 
???

Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts.

Sincerely,
Richard

---

From: Jürgen Weltzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 08:35:07 +0200

Hi,

netatalk 1.4-pre39 and Mac OS >8.1 are working fine with the aliases 
(on Suse 6.3) All aliases are working since 6 month. The only problem 
is, that programs like PageMaker or Freehand are missing the links to 
imported pictures. I have to tell them where the pictures are after 
every new login.
Whats that? Aliases are working fine - links from programs do not?
Whats in -pre39 that makes aliases working?

---

From: R Cent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 06:20:57 -0700 (PDT)

I am a bit overwhelmed with the many available versions of
Netatalk.  What is the recommended version of Netatalk,
distributed in RPM format, that has the alias problem solved?

I'll be using this on a pentium loaded with Mandrake v8.

Thanks!

_____________________________
Bob Cent
University of Washington
Box 357330
Seattle, WA  98195-7330

mailto: [email-masked]
voice:  206.543.1433
fax:    206.685.0305
_____________________________