Subject: crash when saving from Codewarrior to 1.4b2 volume

From: "Michael D. Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 06:06:24 -0400

Greetings,

I'm using the netatalk 1.4b2 which is provided as part of the Slackware
7.1 linux distribution, and I've been using it with Linux kernel 2.4.3
and (just since last night) 2.4.4.  My Mac is an 8500 running Mac OS 8.6.

I use netatalk to serve the source files I'm developing under the Mac OS
with Metrowerks Codewarrior Pro 6.1.  Sometimes when I do a "save as",
and try to save the file to my netatalk volume, Codewarrior crashes.

It doesn't crash if I save to a SCSI disk.  I'm afraid I don't have
another mac at my disposal to see if the crash would occur saving to a
stock AppleShare server.

This could well be a CodeWarrior bug, or Mac OS system bug, I haven't
narrowed it down yet.

When the crash happens it will persist for the folder I'm trying to save
the file into.  That is, if the mac sees the folder
Development:projects:myproject: , once the crash starts occuring it will
occur anytime I try to save a file into :myproject:

Usually I can work around it by saving the file to my SCSI disk, then
dragging the file in the Finder to the netatalk volume.  After that the
crash won't happen again for a while.

Sometimes the crash occurs when the save as dialog has just finished
drawing, sometimes it occurs after I have entered a filename and press
OK (the point at which the file should actually get written).

Codewarrior is using those newfangled save as dialog (navigation
services or some such thing), it's not StandardPutFile or SFPutFile.

Is this something that the development netatalk on sourceforge may have
addressed?  If so, is that code stable enough to be using for production
purposes - I'm writing code for a paying client using netatalk (I do
make frequent backups...)

Are you using netatalk to write cross-platform products?  Have a look at
ZooLib.  
http://zoolib.sourceforge.net You can write native applications for Mac
OS, Windows, BeOS and Linux from a single C++ sourcebase.  I share the
same source folder with netatalk to my mac, with samba to Windows NT or
98 on my other PC, and use gcc on Linux so (at the cost of three
machines) I can build for three platforms without having to reboot
anything or transfer any files.  It will support *BSD and solaris soon,
there's no reason it shouldn't work on them but there are some things
that need to be fiddled with.

Mike
Michael D. Crawford
GoingWare Inc. - Expert Software Development and Consulting
http://www.goingware.com/
[email-masked]

   Tilting at Windmills for a Better Tomorrow.

---

From: "Heath Henderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 17:39:18 -0500

Hello all, I am in need of a simple Perl script (I am going to attempt it I
think)

That cleans our users Home directories out, but leaves the Directory itself
intact and untouched.  I want to run this script at the Home directory level
and have it go 1 level deep and clean out the contents to start fresh next
school year.  It would be nice as well if it was at all possible to set it
so that the script only looks at accounts that start with a number (It would
leave our teacher's accounts untouched).

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.  I am learning PERL, and thought
someone may have already needed this in the past, and would know of a place
to look for some starters.

Thanks

Heath

---

From: Rob Lineweaver <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 May 2001 20:41:53 -0400

> leave our teacher's accounts untouched).

Heath,

I think something simpler, like:

rm -rf [0-9]*/*

is what you want.  No need to create a PERL script to do something that
regular expressions can do.

To delete files and folders in a user's directory starting with a dot,
you might have to add another expression:

rm -rf [0-9]*/*  [0-9]*/.[A-z]*

But definitely test your commands against data that doesn't matter
before applying it to the real user directories!  You can also test with
the -i option to rm.  The above commands do leave the first-level (user)
directories in place.

hope this helps,

Rob Lineweaver
:)

---

From: Chad Cunningham <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 22:12:43 -0400 (EDT)

Just one level deep? find is your friend. find is your friend

find /some/dir ! -name ".*" -maxdepth 2 -type f -exec rm -f {} \;

This will delete all regular files 1 directory deep in /some/dir as long
as they don't begin with . (presumably, I would test it first :)

Depending on what you want to do, find can probably do it, see man find
for more options.

-- 

Chad Cunningham
[email-masked]

"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two-headed beast. One
head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the
other head of science is bad! Oh beware the other head of science, Arthur, it
bites!"

---

From: Jeff Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 22:13:26 -0500

Michael -

I use CodeWarrior all the time, and I've had it crash on all sorts of weird
occasions. So far, I've figured out that it crashes whenever i hit the F6
(audio mute) or F2 (adjust LCD brightness) keys on my PowerBook, and that it
doesn't like saving one project directory within another.

The point is that I'm not suprised that Codewarrior consistently crashes
while doing the same thing, and that, given my other observations, I bet
it's more of a CW bug than anything. I have probably saved files with it to
a netatalk 1.4b2 server, which I used until recently, but I *know* (at least
my copy) works with the 1.5-prex releases.

I might be way off the mark, but that's my best bet.

Just for reference, I'm running CW 6 on a PB G3 (firewire) with OS 9.0.4.

--
-Jeff Thompson  (http://jeff.zaius.org)
jeff@zaius(.dyndns).org, [email-masked], [email-masked]

Five is a sufficiently close approximation to infinity.