Subject: Permissions Problems (or: Spare a clue for a newbie, guv'nor?)

From: "Eric Hillman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:02:55 -0600

I've been wrestling with netatalk  1.5pre4 on a RH Linux 7.0 box all day,
and I'm on the verge of complete collapse here.  I imagine this is a simple
problem, but I can't seem to see it, and the documentation is somewhat, um,
oblique, particularly for those of us unfamiliar with AppleTalk to begin
with.

Anyways, after much finagling, I have finally managed to get users able to
log in and view their home directories.  Unfortunately, they can't create
files there.  The error the user gets is generally something along the lines
of "cannot create file (file locked)." with buttons for "Stop" and
"Continue".  Whichever I choose, the user can succesfully create an empty
file, which they can open, but not edit or delete (errors are usually
similar to the above although occasionally an "error -50" will occur.)

On the server, I'm getting messages like:

setdirowner: chown 16777216/-1 .AppleDouble/.Parent: Invalid argument
setdirowner: chown -1/0 .AppleDouble/.Parent: Operation not Permitted

I'm sure it's a permission or configuration problem, but nothing I try seems
to change this behavior.  What am I missing here?

--
Eric Hillman
[email-masked]

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:17:47 -0600 (CST)

I have also found this to be true...

-Dan

-- 

Daniel E. Lautenschleger
University of Wisconsin
R.M. Bock Laboratories
Network Administrator and Computer Support
[email-masked]

---

From: Christopher Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 14:19:40 -0800

I'm also having the same problem, except I'm on Mandrake 7.2 (but it's 
also RedHat based).

-Chris

---

From: "Heath Henderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 20:20:27 -0600

I am using RH 6.2 with encrypted Passwords and OS 8.6 / 9.x

I want to be able to allow users to change their passwords?  How do I enable
this feature.  Every time I try I get an error that it was unable to save
the password.

Thanks

Heath Henderson

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:09:51 -0500

> this feature.  Every time I try I get an error that it was unable to save

Are you using randnum authentication? If you are, the
/etc/atalk/afppasswd file (or wherever it is on your system) needs to
have the ability to be world readable/writable, which is a security
hazard. There is support in the code for ~/.afppasswd files, which is
currently disabled, I believe.

jeff

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:52:49 -0800

Support for that is there; I've seen it in the afpd code.  You're not using 
NIS, are you?  (if you are, I don't think netatalk knows to use the NIS/YP 
procedures to change it).

---

From: Rob Lineweaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:26:51 -0500 (EST)

> this feature.  Every time I try I get an error that it was unable to save

Heath,

from the afpd.conf manpage:
       -[no]setpassword
              Enables or  disables  the  ability  of  clients  to
              change their passwords

so you probably just want to add -setpassword to /etc/atalk/afpd.conf.

hope this fixes it,

Rob Lineweaver