Subject: other passwd

From: Claus Atzenbeck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 07:55:40 +0200 (CEST)

I'm usins netatalk on Linux and on another computer I have MacOS 8.6.

It is working well. Right now I use my Linux user's login to get data
via netatalk. The problem is that my passwords usually are larger than
6 characters, but the login window on MacOS (for my Appletalk server
volume on Linux) allows max 6 chars for login.

2 quesstions on that:

1) Is it possible to enlarge the amount of chars I can type into the
login screen on MacOS, in order to mount my Linux volumes on Mac?

2) How can I tell netatalk that user "a" uses password "secret1" on
Linux, but uses password "secret2" to log into netatalk volumes from
Mac?

Thanks for any hint!!
Claus

---

From: Mac Conin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 10:42:18 +0200

Hm,

to the first point
tried with netatalk 1.5-26 OS 9.1 8 chars are ok

the second point is that netatalk does not use a separate passwd like samba.
So this can't work.

-- 
--schnippe-di-schnipp-- 

mit freundlichen grüssen

-----------------------------------------------------------
Mac Conin                        EUC Online Service GmbH
Geschäftsführer                  Taubengasse 9
[email-masked]                    D 50676 Koeln
http://www.euc.de                HRB Köln 32038
tel : +49-221-923 27 33          fax : +49-221-239 651
-----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Henning Jebsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 14:05:07 +0200

> volume on Linux) allows max 6 chars for login.

To me it seems, 8 characters are allowed by the MAC-Client, not 6...

> login screen on MacOS, in order to mount my Linux volumes on Mac?

No it is not.... Usernames and passwords are restricted to 8 characters
by appletalk..

> Linux, but uses password "secret2" to log into netatalk volumes from

If you are using PAM, you could take a look at
/etc/pamd.d/netatalk. There is the point you could
redirect the user&password Database to a LDAP-Server.
But at first you should build the ldap-database ;-)

That would mean, you would have to administrate 2 Databases:
/etc/passwd and LDAP because users "gmeyer" has an account
in passwd and ldap.

Good Luck.

--
mailto: [email-masked]  (Henning Jebsen)
org:    Heinrich Bauer Verlag
phone:  +49-40-3019-5525

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 10:06:04 -0400

> the second point is that netatalk does not use a separate passwd like samba.

You can actually do this.

Use uams_randnum.so as your UAM, and use afppasswd to set the passwords
for the user. This file can be kept independent of the system password
file.

Jeff

---

From: Seanano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 09:18:36 -0500 (CDT)

> login screen on MacOS, in order to mount my Linux volumes on Mac?

The macOS Appleshare client (at least the english verion) allows for up to
eight characters and has for some time.  Our AppleshareIP box also limits
passwords to eight chars.  I don't know if it is possible to change this
without major work.

> Linux, but uses password "secret2" to log into netatalk volumes from

Since netatalk can use PAM you could use a different authentication method
for it.  For example, I'm not sure how stable it is, but the mysql PAM
module ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/pam-mysql/ ) would probably be a
fairly quick and easy way to do it, expecially if you have some mysql/sql
experiance.  This is something I have on my list for trying out in the
near future.

Sean

---

From: Claus Atzenbeck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:01:21 +0200 (CEST)

> passwords to eight chars.  I don't know if it is possible to change this

Sorry, this was my mistake. Indeed, I have 8 chars available, but my
Linux password had 9 chars.

> Since netatalk can use PAM you could use a different
> authentication method for it.  For example, I'm not sure how
> stable it is, but the mysql PAM module (
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pam-mysql/ ) would probably be a
> fairly quick and easy way to do it, expecially if you have some
> mysql/sql experiance.  This is something I have on my list for
> trying out in the near future.

Hm, sounds good, but I guess the quickest way is to change my Linux
password to <= 8 chars...

Thanks everyone who was helping me!!
Claus

---

From: Seanano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 10:21:30 -0500 (CDT)

> password to <= 8 chars...

Actually, the above was for your question about having the netatalk
password different from the console password.  Sorry for the confusion.

Sean

---

From: Steven Karel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:22:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Claus Atzenbeck wrote:

> > authentication method for it...
>

That should not be necessary. Recent versions of the Appleshare client
(at least 3.8.6, quite possibly older versions as well)
allow more than 8 characters in a password; my password is 9 characters
and it happily works with recent versions of netatalk (--with-pam and
using Redhat's default setup)

---

From: Seanano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 10:41:35 -0500 (CDT)

> using Redhat's default setup)

Is there some kind of preference/resource setting for this?  I'm using
Appleshare 3.8.8 and it won't let me type in more than 8 chars when
connecting to my AppleshareIP box or to my netatalk box (via cleartext).  
Is this limit is sent by the server?

Sean

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 18:40:36 +0200

on Thu, 28 Jun 2001 10:41:35 -0500 (CDT), Seanano wrote:

[length of afp passwords greater than 8]
> Is there some kind of preference/resource setting for this?

I think this is some kind of UAM stuff, isn't it? Support for longer
passwords came with DHX authentication ...

> I'm using Appleshare 3.8.8 and it won't let me type in more than 8 chars when

An UAM limit I guess.

3.8.8 is recommended by apple if using longer passwords:

<http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60792>

regards,

Thomas

---

From: Leland Wallace <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:34:44 -0700

> Is this limit is sent by the server?
Folks,
   On the AppleShare Client, the cleartext UAM is limited to 8 chars. If
you use the DHX UAM you can get up to 64 chars. Look in the list 
archives for
instructions on how to enable DHX for netatalk.

Hope this helps
Leland Wallace
AppleShare Client Lead

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leland Wallace           Working in            AppleShare Engineering
[email-masked]    but not speaking for      Apple Computer Inc.
http://www2.inow.com/~randall
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:39:28 +1000

> login screen on MacOS, in order to mount my Linux volumes on Mac?

 The DHX UAM does longer passwords. I think the others 'clear text' and
friends are limited to 8 characters by protocol. Blame Apple. It would
appear they introduced the DHX UAM to overcome the 8 character limit
with OSX servers. ASIP servers won't let you set longer than 8 character
passwords.

-- 
Matthew Geier			[email-masked]
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713
Sydney University