Subject: chown, DID & pam...

From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:25:01 +1000

Hi all,

A collection of strange messages...

We're braving our first morning of netatalk-for-real, after the old mac
server ran out of licenses and it was cheaper to buy a new server, configure
it with linux/netatalk :o)

We're getting a few strange things though... any assistance will be
gratefully received!

One computer is experiencing particular problems - if I open quark, and
attempt to save a document, it fails with a message "file is locked". An
empty file is created in the directory, which is then locked.

On the server, I'm seeing:

Also... we're using pam for authentication, and people login successfully,
except for edgar:

Jul  9 09:13:10 bob afpd[1397]: dhx login: edgar
Jul  9 09:13:10 bob afpd[1397]: uams_dhx_pam.c :PAM: PAM Success -- No such
file or directory
Jul  9 09:13:10 bob PAM_pwdb[1397]: authentication failure; (uid=0) -> edgar
for netatalk service
Jul  9 09:13:11 bob afpd[1397]: uams_dhx_pam.c :PAM: PAM_Error:
Authentication failure -- Inappropriate ioctl for device

Any suggestions would be wonderful!!!

Thanks,

Chris Herrmann
Far Edge Technology

p. 02 99553640
f. 02 99547994
m. 0403 393309
http://www.faredge.com.au

---

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 00:42:11 -0700

> empty file is created in the directory, which is then locked.

There are known problems between Quark and Netatalk (as well as some other
ASIP servers, not that it makes it any more acceptable). Quark has some
strange behavior during saving which conflicts with Netatalk. What versions
are you using of both? What version of Mac OS?

The workaround is to copy the Quark file to the client, work on it and save
it there, then copy it back when finished, until somebody figures out
exactly what silly thing Quark is doing and creates a fix for Netatalk.

Steve

---

From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 17:55:48 +1000

:o)

have worked out that fix already! unfortunately the "business process" isn't
(understandably) too keen on this. It also appears for Photoshop 5 docs, but
not for Dreamweaver, simple text, or plain-jane file copies... (the picture
grows murkier!)

Have been messing around with a 2nd box, and the problem doesn't appear if
if I only enable the uam uam_guest.so, and connect as a ghost to a the
share, where the share has 0777 permissions and is owned by nobody.nobody.
Obviously, this isn't an acceptable long term solution.

I'm using pam for authentication. Have copied appropriate pam files as per
documentation.

I'm also getting a lot of DID errors, will try --enable-lastdid tonight...

Quark 4.1
Netatalk 1.5pre6
Linux RH 7.1 kernel 2.4.0 with Appletalk support
Mac OS 9.xx

We could, of course offer to setup a netatalk box for Quark (it's free! Has
multi-platform support! get one today!) and I'm sure that Quark will work
out what's going on soon enough... <evil grin>

Cheers,

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Freitas [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, 9 July 2001 17:42
To: Chris Herrmann; netatalk-admins
Subject: Re: chown, DID & pam...

Steve

---

From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 20:27:53 +1000

the picture grows muddier yet...

If i remove all semblances of security, and load only uams_guest.so, and get
everyone to connect as guest, then 1 of the users can use the network trash,
and all of them appear to be saving ok / using quark ok...

the latest configure/build was:

#
./configure  --prefix=/usr/local/netatalk --mandir=/usr/local/man --sysconfd
ir=/etc/netatalk --w
ith-config-dir=/etc/netatalk --with-pam --with-shadow --with-ssl-dir=/usr/lo
cal/openssl --enable-t
imelord --enable-lastdid --enable-tcp-wrappers --with-flock-locks

I added --enable-lastdid, --enable-tcp-wrappers, and --with-flock-locks

arrghhhh.... rapidly getting less happy.

Don't penguins eat apples? Maybe if apples looked more like fish... no, that
thought's goin' nowhere. Time to go home.

Users who can't "trash" get a "you can't store this in the trash folder,
delete immediately" message which they can ok/cancel.

As far as I can see, there's no difference between users/macs, so why the
disparity in behaviour? there are no messages about any of this in
/var/log/messages. All mac users have the same version of tcp/ip, open
transport, appletalk (2.7.4). all users are logged in as guest.

arggh!

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Herrmann [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, 9 July 2001 17:56
To: 'Steve Freitas'; 'netatalk-admins'
Subject: RE: chown, DID & pam...

:o)

Quark 4.1
Netatalk 1.5pre6

Cheers,

Chris

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 15:10:30 +0200

> and all of them appear to be saving ok / using quark ok...

Chris, try to compile with --enable-dropkludge, IMO that's
an essential if you want to work off your netatalk server with
QuarkXPress.

btw, I don't remember the details anymore -- but I have better luck
with byte range locking instead of flock-locks.

hth, -Thomas

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers

---

From: "Chris Herrmann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:38:43 +1000

Thanks Thomas, will try later today. The problems weren't solved by what I
tried last night - they only appear when several people are using the
server, however, over an hour or so. Some other strange behaviour - first
person on can use network trash, but noone else can.

Grr!

Is anyone able to explain why I should/shouldn't use

--enable-lastdid

and

--with-flock-locks

The documentation didn't provide many clues as to why you would choose to
use them. Also, as I'm running it on a Redhat System, should I use:

--enable-redhat

?

Many thanks,

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Schierle [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, 9 July 2001 23:11
To: Netatalk-Admins
Subject: Re: and yet muddier

hth, -Thomas

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:00:43 +0200

On 01-07-10 02:38 +0200, Chris Herrmann wrote:

> On 01-07-09 15:10 +0200, Thomas Schierle wrote:
>

my guess: multi user network trash needs byte range locking -- a Macintosh
client who logs in looks for the first non-locked byte in the file "trashcan
usage map" and uses the trashcan associated with that byte

> Is anyone able to explain why I should/shouldn't use

perhaps you should use lastdid? It does provide true unique non-permanent
DIDs which are preferable over non-unique permanent DIDs

> --with-flock-locks

I revisited my server (byte range locking) yesterday opening Quark files
from the server: "file in use" when I try to save an altered file; on "save
as" the file is written to the server but I get a "file in use" error after
the file is written. (QuarkXPress Passport 4.1)

With flock-locks Quark files don't get locked at all for me (Suse 7.0) -- I
was able to open a file that's open in Quark 4.1 a second time using a copy
of Quark 3.32 running at the same client

> use them. Also, as I'm running it on a Redhat System, should I use:

the redhat option provides you with a startup script adjusted to Red Hats
startup machinery, I don't know why you shouldn't use it
 
>> an essential if you want to work off your netatalk server with

again, try: --enable-dropkludge

>> with byte range locking instead of flock-locks.

my testing as of yesterday did remind me to my problems with file locking:
because I don't work off of the server I simply preferred a (more or less)
working file locking system over saving Quark files ...

good luck,
-Thomas

ps, I'm on vacation from July 10, 2001 to July 19, 2001