Subject: File & Record Locking?

From: Jeff Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:51:55 -0800

Has anyone else experienced problems getting file and record locking 
to play nice?  My particular issue involves the codebase library, but 
I've seen other posts indicating problems with other database 
software.  Can anyone shed some light on this for me?  I'm currently 
using 1.4.99, but am getting ready to try 1.5pre1

Thanks very much,

-Jeff
-- 

Jefferson K. Davis
Technology & IS Manager
Standard School District
1200 North Chester Ave
Bakersfield, CA  93308
661-392-2110

---

From: Jeff Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:10:45 -0800

Ok, I solved my own problem...

It appears that the RPM I had originally installed was compiled using 
flock-locks.  I recompiled from source (1.4.99) without that option 
and the problem appears to be solved.

My understanding is that the flock-locks option is a more 
conservative, file-wide lock, whereas the byte-range locking (which 
appears to be the default behavior) is more of a record-level or 
row-level lock.  Can someone let me know if I am understanding this 
correctly?

Which begs the question why was the RPM packaged with flock-locks?  Hmmm :-/

TIA,

-Jeff

>to play nice?  My particular issue involves the codebase library, 
>but I've seen other posts indicating problems with other database 

-- 

Jefferson K. Davis
Technology & IS Manager
Standard School District
1200 North Chester Ave
Bakersfield, CA  93308
661-392-2110