Subject: Re: MacOS-X issues.

From: "Bryn Hughes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:58:48 -0800

I have no problems like that with my OS X test machine.  It mounts my netatalk-1.5.1.1 shares no problem.  Only issue it does have is that Network Trash doesn't work, but that's an OS-X problem, not a netatalk problem.

>>> Kyle Johnson <[email-masked]> - 2/15/02 7:48 PM >>>
On 2/15/02 8:57 PM, "Tyler Hardison" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>   Can anyone tell me what the current issues with OS-X based machines and
> netatalk? 

Just this morning I asked just the same thing.  The one big one seems to be
that you can't keep a server mounted via the GUI.  Even with 1.5.1.1 I get a
disconnect message right after the connect.  One of our Linux geeks sent me
this link:

<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=netatalk&m=101290312429385&w=2>

It basically steps through how to get logging going to test.  The odd thing
was that I was able to get the Netatalk volume mounted using the CLI, but
not the GUI.  I took both logs and have forwarded them to our Apple SE to
see if he can get it escalated.  BTW, the message speaks of launching the
Finder from the CLI, but doesn't give the command, so here it is:

%/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/./Finder

The really thing I discovered was that not only can I mount the volume using
the CLI, but I can also do it from the Classic Chooser (and have the volumes
available to OSX apps).

I've taken so long getting past this issue, I haven't had time to find any
other issues.  '-)

/kyle
---
Kyle Johnson                                     [email-masked]
Manager, Information Systems        http://www.studentaffairs.duke.edu
Duke University Student Affairs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The box said 'Requires Windows 95, or better.' So I bought a Macintosh.

---

From: Burkhard Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:13:59 +0100

Am Mittwoch den, 20. Februar 2002, um 18:58, schrieb Bryn Hughes:

> disconnect message right after the connect.

Bryn,

what exactly do you mean with 'mounted via the GUI'? What's meant with 
'a server'? I cannot confirm the problem you describe, interpreting it 
as mounting a volume from my Netatalk 1.5.* server (TCP/IP only, 
currently 1.5.2, but versions 1.5.* worked well, too) via the Finder's 
"Go" menu.

Regards, Burkhard.