Subject: MacOS X vs Linux HELP.

From: "Pedro Miguel F. Custodio" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 20:06:20 +0100 (BST)

HI,

I've instaled the MacOS X in my iMacDV and everything worked fine unitl
i've tried to mount my home directory in my linux box. The MacOS does
login in my machine but disconnects imediatly after, so i can't access my
files on linux. I've tried to workout with afpd.conf but i still can't
manage to workit out.

Here's my afpd.conf

----------------------------------------
# (...)
#		"special" -notcp -defaultvol <path> -systemvol <path>
#
# default:
 - -transall -uamlist uams_guest.so,uams_clrtxt.so,uams_dhx.so -nosavepassword
server1 -port 12000 -tcp -noddp -ipaddr 192.168.0.1

----------------------------------------

And this is what i get in my /etc/messages:

Jun  1 20:05:46 fingers PAM-warn[712]: service: netatalk [on terminal:
afpd]
Jun  1 20:05:46 fingers PAM-warn[712]: user: (uid=0) -> pecus [remote:
?nobody@fingers]
Jun  1 20:05:46 fingers PAM-unix2[712]: session started for user pecus,
service
netatalk
Jun  1 20:05:46 fingers afpd[712]: login pecus (uid 500, gid 100)
Jun  1 20:05:46 fingers afpd[712]: options->admingid == 0
Jun  1 20:05:46 fingers afpd[712]: begin afp_getfildirparams:
(...)
Jun  1 20:03:06 fingers afpd[688]: begin afp_getfildirparams:
Jun  1 20:03:06 fingers afpd[688]: end afp_getfildirparams:
Jun  1 20:03:08 fingers afpd[688]: dsi_stream_read(0): No such process
Jun  1 20:03:08 fingers PAM-warn[688]: service: netatalk [on terminal:
afpd]
Jun  1 20:03:08 fingers PAM-warn[688]: user: (uid=0) -> pecus [remote:
?nobody@fingers]
Jun  1 20:03:08 fingers PAM-unix2[688]: session finished for user pecus,
service netatalk
Jun  1 20:03:08 fingers afpd[688]: 0.58KB read, 8.71KB written
Jun  1 20:03:08 fingers afpd[688]: Connection terminated
Jun  1 20:03:08 fingers afpd[629]: server_child[1] 688 exited 1

----------------------------------------

Any help would be great! Thanks.
Pedro Custódio

---

From: Brian Hendrickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:42:10 -0700 (PDT)

In your afpd.conf you need to add a -loginmesg "something" to make the
login process work. But you probably won't be able to copy or use files on
the share once you get it mounted on your desktop. It just gives an error
"the file could not be found" every time I try to copy or move files.

I'm sure the developers are sorting all of this out right now for the
next release, but if anybody knows how to configure netatalk for Mac OS X,
please post to the list, thanks!

[email-masked]

---

From: Brian Hendrickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:52:20 -0700 (PDT)

I should have mentioned that you are probably struggling with version
1.5pre6. I have other Linux boxes with 1.4xx that work well with Mac OS
X. So one way to solve the problem is find an older version of
netatalk. I've been using 1.5pre6 because it offers great speed
improvements for classic Mac OS clients, but I can't make it work at all 
with Mac OS X. -- Brian

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:23:06 -0400

>>>>> Brian Hendrickson writes:
BH> I'm sure the developers are sorting all of this out right now for the
BH> next release, but if anybody knows how to configure netatalk for Mac OS X,
BH> please post to the list, thanks!

There are some useful discussions of this issue on the OS X discussion
boards at apple.com.  For example, see this thread:
    http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@@.eedb03f/8
(registration required).

The bottom line is that there is one, and apparently only one, version
of netatalk that works with Mac OS X right now:
    ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing/pre-asun2.1.4-37b.tar.gz
which is version netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4-pre37b.  

Some people additionally suggest adding -DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS to the compile flags.

Thanks to Richard Eisenman for figuring this out!

No guarantees, but I'm using this combination and it is working pretty
well.  I do hope someone can figure out what this version does
differently, and patch the newer versions to work with OS X too.

Bng
--
Boris Goldowsky            Director of Engineering & Development
Information Please         [email-masked]
www.infoplease.com         617 542-6500 x 2324

---

From: Brendan Braybrook <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 13:39:24 -0700 (PDT)

> files on linux. I've tried to workout with afpd.conf but i still can't

not that this helps with the problem of osx not talking to afpd, but why
don't you just export your home directory via NFS and mount it in macos
that way instead?

---

From: Lorenzo Perone <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 20:55:18 +0200

>    http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@@.eedb03f/8

Among the posts here, one points out a phenomenon that made me stop using OSX and netatalk 1.4pre37_test (since with OS9, pre39 or 1.5p6 works better to me):
OSX panics when uploading files... I was using 10.0.1. Sometimes it took some time before the panic occurred. But it was almost sure it would pop up when uploading thousands of files.

>differently, and patch the newer versions to work with OS X too.

Are You using 10.0.3, and did You ever experience the panic? I'd like to give the OSX-monster a new try, but as every launching operation on this OS takes ages, being forced to reboot @ every upload isn't really a bargain.... (also considering that OS9.1 has never been as stable as it is now, on my G4...).

Earlier on this list, an Apple engeneer pointed out that one of the problems is related to the 'close fork' call.
Recently I found a message on the netatalk-devel list (to which I have not subscribed yet - just read sometimes), which could have some sort of an answer to the problem.
I am not experienced in patching C source, but maybe for those accustomed to it this is worth a look:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=netatalk-devel&m=98678741702935&w=2

:-)

Lorenzo

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 10:46:41 -0400

>>>>> Lorenzo Perone writes:

LP> Among the posts here, one points out a phenomenon that made me
LP> stop using OSX and netatalk 1.4pre37_test (since with OS9, pre39
LP> or 1.5p6 works better to me): OSX panics when uploading files... I
LP> was using 10.0.1. Sometimes it took some time before the panic
LP> occurred. But it was almost sure it would pop up when uploading
LP> thousands of files.

I wrote:
>> well.

LP> Are You using 10.0.3, and did You ever experience the panic? I'd
LP> like to give the OSX-monster a new try, but as every launching
LP> operation on this OS takes ages, being forced to reboot @ every
LP> upload isn't really a bargain.... (also considering that OS9.1 has
LP> never been as stable as it is now, on my G4...).

Yes, 10.0.3, and no panic (since we stopped trying to use NIS,
anyway).  But our usage is more single-file-at-a-time for editing, not
copying batches of thousands of files across the atalk connection.

Bng

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 15:12:38 -0400

Lorenzo Perone wrote:
-- SNIP --
> Earlier on this list, an Apple engeneer pointed out that
> one of the problems is related to the 'close fork' call.
> Recently I found a message on the netatalk-devel list
> (to which I have not subscribed yet - just read
> sometimes), which could have some sort of an answer to
> the problem.
> I am not experienced in patching C source, but maybe for
> those accustomed to it this is worth a look:
> 

I've just integrated this patch into the tree, since it didn't seem to
cause any problems here. I'm not sure if it will help with that problem,
since I don't have any Mac OS X clients to test this with.

With apologies for the cross-posting to the devel list,
Jeff

---

From: Jonathan Paisley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:21:47 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, jeff wrote:

Apologies for cross-posting.

This patch that you've just committed seems to me to be fixing the same
problem as

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=408249&group_id=8642&atid=308642

[which IMHO fixes the problem more thoroughly]
I thought you had already added this patch in time for 1.5pre6?

The full original message had the subject line
	[PATCH] Problem with afpd unexpectedly dying (still)

I can't access the list archives at the moment to provide a URL since
geocrawler says it's down for db maintenance.

Thanks.

jp

> _______________________________________________
> Netatalk-devel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/netatalk-devel
>

-- 
Jonathan Paisley
[email-masked]