Subject: Netatalk 1.5pre4 and OS X

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 02:03:01 +0000

Hi there,

I'm new to the list so please forgive me if I'm asking questions which 
have already been answered.

Ok, here goes.

My system:

Linux Red Hat 6.0 / kernel 2.2.5-15
Openssl-0.9.6
tcp_wrappers-7.6-7
Netatalk 1.5pre4
OS X (build 4k17)

During the compilation of netatalk, there was a small error message in 
the uams folder saying that the crypto-library couldn't be found.

make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/netatalk/etc/uams'
Makefile:266: warning: overriding commands for target `install-strip'
Makefile:204: warning: ignoring old commands for target `install-strip'
gcc      -g -O2 -I../../include -I../../sys -I/usr/local/ssl/include 
-I/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -fPIC -DPIC \
   -I../.. -fomit-frame-pointer -c uams_dhx_passwd.c ; \
ld -shared  -o uams_dhx_passwd.so uams_dhx_passwd.o -lcrypto -lrpcsvc 
-lresolv -lnsl -ldl -ldb -lcrypt  -lpam
ld: cannot open -lcrypto: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [uams_dhx_passwd.so] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/netatalk/etc/uams'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/netatalk/etc'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/netatalk'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

I added a statement to the Makefile, pointing the linker to the 
directory with -L /usr/local/ssl/lib. Then the compilation is fine. I 
can use the accompanied script to startup the server. This is what I 
find in the logs:

Feb 25 00:54:13 maul papd[19449]: restart (1.5pre4)
Feb 25 00:54:13 maul rc.atalk.redhat.tmpl: timelord startup succeeded
Feb 25 00:54:13 maul rc.atalk.redhat.tmpl: afpd startup succeeded
Feb 25 00:54:19 maul timelord[19460]: maul:TimeLord started
Feb 25 00:54:19 maul afpd[19471]: maul:AFPServer@* started on 
65280.112:130 (1.5
pre4)
Feb 25 00:54:19 maul afpd[19471]: ASIP started on 10.0.0.151:548(1) 
(1.5pre4)
Feb 25 00:54:19 maul afpd[19471]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
Feb 25 00:54:19 maul afpd[19471]: uam: uams_clrtxt.so loaded
Feb 25 00:54:19 maul afpd[19471]: uam: uams_dhx.so loaded
Feb 25 00:54:19 maul afpd[19471]: uam: "DHCAST128" available
Feb 25 00:54:19 maul afpd[19471]: uam: "Cleartxt Passwrd" available
Feb 25 00:54:19 maul afpd[19471]: uam: "No User Authent" available

Now, it seems to me, that for registered-users it will encrypt the 
password using the cast-128 algorithm. Is that right? Because I expected 
the DES algorithm to be used for this. Maybe this is why I can't login 
to the server?

The symptoms:

The Netatalk server appears in the OS X chooser, but when I click on the 
icon, I don't get an authentication screen and no shared volumes appear. 
When I do this under MacOS 9, I do get the authentication screen, but 
I'm only allowed to connect as guest.

Possible cause:

Well... I _am_ using a beta version of OS X. Maybe there's a bug in the 
filesharing code. However, I did see messages on this list from people 
that did manage to get this working. Could you please help me out?

Thanks,

Marcel