Subject: RE: Newbie Question - AT broadcast, but ASIP connection?

From: Chris Bondelid <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 15:44:59 -0700

I have netatalk 1.5pre[56] with AppleTalk DDP in the kernel and Mac clients
with OS 9 and OS 9.1 with both AppleTalk and IP turned on.  I pick my server
from the list in the Chooser (AppleTalk broadcast) but when the shares are
connected, I have the little world on the drive icon and in the info of the
connection, it says connected over IP.  But I have not tried previous
versions of MacOS so who knows if it's specific to >= OS 9 

Chris

SysAdmin
University Mechanical

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen VanPelt [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 2:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Newbie Question - AT broadcast, but ASIP connection?

Hello there,

I've seen this happen on a K-Ashare server (this is a Unix product by 
Xinet), but I'm not sure if there's a way to make this happen using 
netatalk, and I'm hoping somewhere here can tell me.

I'd like for someone to see my server show up in their Appletalk zone, yet 
when they double-click on the server, I'd like it to connect over IP, 
rather than the default DDP connection.  I sense this is not a client-side 
setting, because I've got a netatalk server, and when I pick it in the 
chooser (rather than typing the IP in). it connects over Appletalk. 
However, I connect to a campus K-Ashare server by picking it in the 
chooser, and it connects over AppleShare IP.

Is there a way that I can broadcast in the zone, yet broadcast that I'm an 
Appleshare IP server?

Stephen VanPelt
Information Technology Consultant
MUSC Center for Drug and Alcohol Programs
PH: 843-792-5558 Internet:   [email-masked]

__________________BEGIN FOOTER___________________
**The Views Expressed by the Author of this Message are not **
**necessarily those of the Medical University of South Carolina**

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 10:34:26 +1000

> versions of MacOS so who knows if it's specific to >= OS 9

 The Appleshare client shipped with macOS 8.0 or later should
automaticly switch to IP when it finds the server capable of it.

> Is there a way that I can broadcast in the zone, yet broadcast that I'm an

 Supposed to happen automaticly. Can the Mac client connect via 'server
IP address' ? If so, for some reason your NetAtalk must be sending the
wrong IP address to the client in the initial capablity excange over
DDP.

In my case, any mac with OS 8.0 or later switches to IP for the actual
connection.

-- 
Matthew Geier			[email-masked]
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713
Sydney University

---

From: "Bruce A. Burdick, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 21:35:20 -0500

When trying to build an RPM from the latest .tar.gz, I get this:

  # rpm -ta netatalk-1.5pre6.tar.gz
  error: %changelog not in decending chronological order

(And, yes that's how the RPM developer spelled 'descending'...)

Apart from the implicit suggestion that the changelog be fixed, is there an
easy way to fix or circumvent this?

-B...

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 09:39:50 -0400

> easy way to fix or circumvent this?

Yes. I can try to use "2001" instead of "2000" in the dates for this
year. Sorry about the inconvenience.

jeff

---

From: "Bruce A. Burdick, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 16:42:01 -0500

> From: jeff <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 09:39:50 -0400
> 

It wouldn't be alpha software if wasn't inconvenient! ;-)

That would be great. Let me know when you've fixed it. In the meantime, I'll
try to fix my copy myself.

-B...

---

From: "Bruce A. Burdick, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 18:17:14 -0500

This is what I changed to get me around that part of the problem:

3c3
< %define version 1.5pre5
---
> %define version 1.5pre6
13c13
< Source0: %{name}-%{version}.tar.bz2
---
> Source0: %{name}-%{version}.tar.gz
46c46
< * Wed Mar 07 2000 rufus t firefly <[email-masked]>
---
> * Wed Mar 07 2001 rufus t firefly <[email-masked]>

-B...

> To: "Bruce A. Burdick, Jr." <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Building an RPM from the tar.gz
>