Subject: routing netatalk under Solaris

From: "S.Barbaresi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:58:16 +0000 (GMT)

Hello,

we're running Solaris 8 and netatalk-1.5.2 and I'm failing to convince the
machine to root across network interfaces. If I use CAP/uar it works, but
we need to move away from CAP.

atalkd.conf looks like:

  le0 -phase 2 -net 257-266 -addr 260.162 -zone "Adeliad-Deiniol"
  qe1 -seed -phase 2 -net 66-67 -addr 66.1 -zone "ZZZ"

getzones displays the new "ZZZ" zone and the AppleMac on that zone sees
all other zones. However, the AppleMac can't see any other machines in any
other zone, and the other macs can't see the mac in the "ZZZ" zone. So I
assume that netatalk isn't routing. What am I doing wrong?

nbplkup only shows those machines on le0, "Adeliad-Deiniol".

Sim

S.Barbaresi 					E-mail [email-masked]
Computing Centre, UWB 				Tel (44) (01)248 382403 (ddi)
Sackville Road 					Fax (44) (01)248 383826 (ddi)
Bangor, Gwynedd LL57 1LD, UK

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:33:15 +0100

> le0 -phase 2 -net 257-266 -addr 260.162 -zone "Adeliad-Deiniol"

As there is no -seed switch, is there another router present that supplies
this segment with routing information?

> qe1 -seed -phase 2 -net 66-67 -addr 66.1 -zone "ZZZ"

Are there any messages regarding atalkd in syslog?

> all other zones. 

What do you mean with '*all* other zones'? Are there more than
"Adeliad-Deiniol"?

> However, the AppleMac can't see any other machines in any other zone, and
> the other macs can't see the mac in the "ZZZ" zone. So I assume that netatalk
> isn't routing. What am I doing wrong?
> 

And what does a nbplkup "@ZZZ" say?

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: "S.Barbaresi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 15:50:45 +0000 (GMT)

> this segment with routing information?

We run CAP/uar on our other Sun servers which act as routers, so "yes"
there are other routers present.

> Are there any messages regarding atalkd in syslog?

I've attached the syslog.

> What do you mean with '*all* other zones'? Are there more than

Yes. Each routed network has a zone attached to it. getzones returns all
the zones.

> And what does a nbplkup "@ZZZ" say?

nbplkup "@ZZZ" produces nothing!

Sim

---

From: Duncan Sinclair <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:21:53 +0000

Hi,

>we need to move away from CAP.

Bad news - netatalk on Solaris is incapable of routing.  The streams
driver never had that bit finished off.

I guess this is a good reason to look at Linux or one of the BSDs...

Cheers,

Duncan Sinclair.

---

From: "S.Barbaresi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:01:34 +0000 (GMT)

> driver never had that bit finished off.

If this is the case, why do they give a Sun routing example in atalkd.conf

  #   A much more complicated example:
  #
  #       le0 -phase 1
  #       le1 -seed -phase 2 -addr 66.6 -net 66-67 -zone "No Parking"
  #
  #   This turns on transition routing between the le0 and le1
  #   interfaces on a Sun.  It also causes atalkd to fail if other
  #   routers disagree about it's configuration of le1.
  #

Sim