Subject: Can't register sample:AFPServer@* / uam: uam not found

From: "Rolf Schoepfer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 20:12:09 +0100

After installing netatalk 1.5.1.1 from Source and starting /usr/local/afpd, we get the following message in /var/log/sys.log:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Feb  1 19:58:48 www afpd[5862]: Can't register sample:AFPServer@*
Feb  1 19:58:48 www afpd[5862]: ASIP started on 10.10.10.197:548(4) (1.5.1.1)
Feb  1 19:58:48 www afpd[5862]: uam: loading (/usr/lib/netatalk/uams_clrtxt.so)
Feb  1 19:58:48 www afpd[5862]: uam: uam not found (status=-1)
Feb  1 19:58:48 www afpd[5862]: uam: loading (/usr/lib/netatalk/uams_dhx.so)
Feb  1 19:58:48 www afpd[5862]: uam: uam not found (status=-1)
Feb  1 19:59:28 www afpd[5864]: ASIP session:548(4) from 10.10.10.202:49154(5)
Feb  1 19:59:28 www afpd[5862]: server_child[1] 5864 done
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's compiled under 'Linux From Scratch 3.1' and we use shadow password. What's wrong here?

any help will be appreciated

Rolf

PS: we don't see anything in chooser so far. Connecting through TCP/IP, let Mac tell us, this kind of registration is unknown.

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 21:18:09 +0100

> Feb  1 19:58:48 www afpd[5862]: Can't register sample:AFPServer@*

This one of your two problems: the afp daemon cannot register itself with
the name binding protocol NBP, so your server cannot appear as AFP server in
your client's choosers. There might be some reasons:

- no AppleTalk support in your kernel

- atalkd not started

- wrong atalkd.conf

Are there messages from atalkd in your syslog?

> [...]

Which path for the UAMs did you supply while configuring
(--with-uams-path=)?

> [...]
> PS: we don't see anything in chooser so far. Connecting through TCP/IP, let
> Mac tell us, this kind of registration is unknown.

This happens every time, when there is no match between the UAMs a Mac
supports and the UAMs the server supports (in your case not a single one).
Do you enabled guest access on your server?

Regards,

Thomas