Subject: Poor netatalk performance

From: Lasse Lehtinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:09:56 +0300 (EET DST)

I'm running netatalk 1.5-pre6 in a Redhat 7.1 box with a latest 2.4.6
kernel compiled. I'm able to run the netatalk ok, but the performance is
really poor. It's about 20k/sec which probably isn't normal. All other
services in the same box are running fine. I have no idea what's causing
this. I tried to create a separate Mac-only volume with no help. My box 
has to NIC's and there's no AppleTalk router in the network. And also i'm
getting these weird permission errors in my log:

afpd[5443]: setdirowner: chown 16777216/-1 .: Operation not permitted

Here's the startup log of netatalk:

atalkd[5429]: restart (1.5pre6)
atalkd[5429]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
last message repeated 2 times
atalkd[5429]: as_timer multiple interfaces, no seed
atalkd[5429]: as_timer can't configure eth0
atalkd[5429]: as_timer waiting for router
atalkd[5429]: ready 0/0/0
atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
atalk: afpd startup succeeded
afpd[5436]: Can't register Pingviini:AFPServer@*
afpd[5436]: ASIP started on 192.168.0.1:548(0) (1.
afpd[5436]: uam: uams_randnum.so loaded
afpd[5436]: uam: "2-Way Randnum exchange" available
afpd[5436]: uam: "Randnum exchange" available

If anyone could help I would be more than happy. I'm middle of a little
crisis here since a harddrive of an important volume set got lost on a NT4
Server and therefore we're migrating to a Linux/netatalk-solution.

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:26:03 +0200

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:09:56 +0300 (EET DST), Lasse Lehtinen wrote:

> My box has to NIC's and there's no AppleTalk router in the network.
             ^^
You mean 2 NICs?

Which Models and which driver are you using?

Please post your atalkd.conf. Looks like an AppleTalk configuration problem.

regards,

Thomas

---

From: Lasse Lehtinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:35:52 +0300 (EET DST)

> > My box has to NIC's and there's no AppleTalk router in the network.

Yes, it was a typo :)
 
> Which Models and which driver are you using?

[root@server /root]# cat /proc/pci | grep Ethernet
  Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX [Cyclone] (rev 48).
  Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX [Fast Etherlink] (rev 116).
[root@server /root]#

The driver for both cards is:

"3c590/3c900 series (592/595/597) "Vortex/Boomerang" support"

in the 2.4.6 kernel. It's CONFIG_VORTEX in the Makefile. The netatalk 
binds itself to the second NIC, as you can see from the previous email.

> Please post your atalkd.conf. Looks like an AppleTalk configuration problem.

The atalkd.conf has nothing else but the comments, since i'm not very
familiar about AppleTalk and so on. I tried to read the man pages but they
don't explain too much. So I left the config untouched.

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:51:20 +0200

Hi,

> The atalkd.conf has nothing else but the comments

If you want to use both NICs für AppleTalk you must configure them (netatalk
will be an appletalk router afterwards)

I would recommend the following:

eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 1-1000 -addr 1000.142 -zone "eth0"
eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 1001-2000 -addr 2000.142 -zone "eth1"

Note: Your AppleTalk Network will then routed, so the AppleTalk Devices have
to use addresses not from within the AppleTalk startup range. It might be
necessary to open the AppleTalk control panel on any Mac and to close it
afterwards. Then your Macs will assign theirselves new addresses in the
given network range (you can control it via "nbplkup" on the linux host)

If your problems disappear and you don't want to publish zones, then replace
both '-zone "ethx"' switches with '-zone "*"' (zone mapping)

If you want to use appletalk only on one NIC you have to supply _one_ entry
without the '-seed' switch, eg. "eth0 -phase 2". This NIC will then be
autoconfigured (might be a problem with your 3Coms if they are not multicast
capable -- I don't know)

regards,

Thomas

---

From: Henning Jebsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:35:23 +0200

Hi Folks,
I am working with netatalk 1.5. Our server gives access to afp over
IP and Appletalk (-transall in afpd.conf) If a client takes the chooser
to connect the Server, it gets a AFP over Appletalk-Connection. (you can see
it by pressing Apple-I onto the Volume)
If the client connects by IP-Adress it gets the AFP over TCP/IP connect.

The difference between both methods is *performance*. AFP over
appletalk is *much* slower (about 3-4 times slower)

The funny thing is, that clients which connects to another server,
always get IP-Connection, regardless if they did it by Chooser
or IP-Adress...

Now my question:
Ho can I force AFP-connections to be established over IP  instead of Appletalk
??
I found no parameter to do that....
(I dont want to *disable* Appletalk, the volumes have to appear in the Chooser)

Thanks for any hints

--
mailto: [email-masked]  (Henning Jebsen)
org:    Heinrich Bauer Verlag
phone:  +49-40-3019-5525

---

From: Lasse Lehtinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:03:09 +0300 (EET DST)

> eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 1001-2000 -addr 2000.142 -zone "eth1"

I tried and I got following errors:

Jul 20 14:49:32 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: restart (1.5pre6)
Jul 20 14:49:33 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Jul 20 14:49:52 pc1-1633 last message repeated 2 times
Jul 20 14:50:02 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: as_timer configured eth0 phase 2 
from seed
Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: zip_getnetinfo for eth1
Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 last message repeated 2 times
Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: rtmp_packet interface mismatch
Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: default zone mismatch on eth1
Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: eth1 != eth0
Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: Seed error! Exiting!
Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: ap->ap_packet: Success
Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 atalkd: AppleTalk not up! Check your syslog for
the reason. Child exited with 1.
Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 atalk: atalkd startup failed
Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 afpd[12101]: main: atp_open: Cannot assign
requested address
Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 atalk: afpd startup succeeded
Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 afpd[12101]: ASIP started on
212.246.246.194:548(0) (1.5pre6)
Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 afpd[12101]: uam: uams_randnum.so loaded
Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 afpd[12101]: uam: "2-Way Randnum
exchange" available
Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 afpd[12101]: uam: "Randnum exchange" available

Once I got the boths zones working, but after a couple of restarts it
stopped once again. During that, the transfer speeds we're still the same.
I also checked the atalkd.conf and noticed that it had been altered. Does
netatalk configure it automatically?

---

From: Lasse Lehtinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:14:49 +0300 (EET DST)

Things are clearing up. I isolated the server from the network, and
restarted netatalk. I connected the server to an old mac with a twisted
pair cable. Both zones are appearing correctly and file transfer speeds
are screaming fast. I'll try connecting other machines one by one and try
to see what happens.

---

From: Jonathan Paisley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:22:09 +0100 (BST)

That syslog message looks like you might have the two ethernet cards on
the same physical network. Is that the case? Are they plugged into the
same hub/switch? If so, it's not going to work... [I think]

-- 
Jonathan Paisley
[email-masked]

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:24:07 +0200

Hi Lasse,

you have a funny LAN-Setup. Both NICs are connected via the _same_
Switch/Hub, it seems?

But that's fatal in this setup. If you want to route between the two NICs,
they have to be connected to _different_ network segments!

> Jul 20 14:50:02 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: as_timer configured eth0 phase 2

Okay. atalkd configured eth0 with network range 1-1000 and published the
zone name "eth0"

> Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: eth1 != eth0

This means, atalkd tried to activate eth1. Netatalk is very polite (not like
NTs or Novells AppleTalk implementations) and looks whether other seed
routers in this segment disagree to its aims to publish the network range
1001-2000 and zone name "eth1".

Atalkd recognizes that there is already an AppleTalk seed router present in
this network segment, therefore ...

> Jul 20 14:50:03 pc1-1633 atalkd[12091]: Seed error! Exiting!

... Netatalk gives up.

> stopped once again.

Both NICs must be connected to different segments as I said before.

> During that, the transfer speeds we're still the same.

Do you connect to your netatalk shares via tcp oder AppleTalk? Look into the
Finders Info-window of a Netatalk Share. Normally if your afpd.conf is setup
correctly AppleShare Clients 3.7 or later try to switch from AppleTalk to
TCP if you connect to a Netatalk-Server which supports TCP. Maybe you want
to post your afpd.conf also?

> netatalk configure it automatically?

If you don't supply the '-seed" switch, netatalk will "learn" the networks
configuration on the cable it is connected to (eg. non-routed network -->
addresses within the AppleTalk startup range 65280-65534). You can even let
Netatalk act like an AppleTalk router without supplying seed-router
information. In the case that on every connected network there will be an
AppleTalk-Seed-Router with a correct configuration, Netatalk will learn from
the seed-routers and act as _they_ want.

Well, in your case I would disconnect one of the 2 NICs from network and
would try it again (restarting atalk) using the same atalkd.conf as posted
yesterday. I had some situations where AppleTalk won't startup (problems
with multicast) unless I forced the Netatalk to be a router.

Maybe your poor performance is a result of AppleTalk-Trouble with your
3Coms? Normally the 3Coms are known to support Multicast which is necessary
for AppleTalk ('/usr/doc/Documentation/networking/multicast.txt'). Is your
driver something special?

regards,

Thomas

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:21:38 +0200

Hi Lasse,

>> they have to be connected to _different_ network segments!

"different" means also: eth0 connected to your network, eth1 connected to
nothing or a network with private ip adresses (might be the simplest
solution ;-)
 
> I could separate them, but the mac's would still have to access TCP/IP to
> the outside world.

You have to take care that the linux box acts similar when routing tcp/ip
_and_ appletalk.

So if you divide your network into two segments, then you will also have to
route tcp/ip between them.

> Could I route the packets from eth1 (Mac-network) to the actual gateway that
> is connected to eth0?

Of course. Is the "actual gateway" the only device on eth0?

> I'm not an experienced sysadmin, therefore I would appreciate detailed
> instructions. We have public ip-addresses, so there's no need for NAT, just
> routing the packets.

Upps. Where is the firewall?

Are we talking about all these addresses: 213.173.130.0 - 213.173.131.255?

If so, you can divide this internally into two subnets:

213.173.130.0/24 and 213.173.131.0/24, which means you have to setup your
linux box that one interface uses an address from the 213.173.130 range and
the other from the 213.173.131 range. The default route should be the
address of to "actual gateway" and that's it.

Afterwards you have to take care that the Macs in every subnet have ip
addresses from within the right address range (think about setting up dhcpd
on the linux-box). AppleTalk-configuration is easy, because all you have to
do is to use the right atalkd.conf. The Macs will then autoconfigure
themselves with the right addresses.

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Lasse Lehtinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:58:21 +0300 (EET DST)

I could separate them, but the mac's would still have to access TCP/IP to
the outside world. Could I route the packets from eth1 (Mac-network) to
the actual gateway that is connected to eth0? I'm not an experienced
sysadmin, therefore I would appreciate detailed instructions. We have
public ip-addresses, so there's no need for NAT, just routing the packets.

---

From: Lasse Lehtinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:32:56 +0300 (EET DST)

> >> they have to be connected to _different_ network segments!

Is there another way around? I don't need zones and I kinda have to put
the both NIC's in the same segment. Is there a possibility to use just one
NIC or something? I don't need routing or anything else.

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 15:50:42 +0200

Hi,

> NIC or something? I don't need routing or anything else.

Then I would suggest to disable AppleTalk on one NIC completely. Try

eth1 -phase 2

If the performance problems reappear then something is wrong with the way
your NIC can handle AppleTalk. In this case try:

eth1 -router -seed -phase 2 -net 1-1000 -addr 1000.142 -zone "*"

(or use another NIC, e.g. Asanté FriendlyNet with tulip driver)

Netatalk will then act as a router on one single interface (but I don't know
whether this will work with 1.5pre6 either. With earlier versions it did).

Regards,

Thomas

---

From: Pedro Corte-Real <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:50:57 +0100

On Friday 20 July 2001 14:32, Lasse Lehtinen wrote:
> > >> But that's fatal in this setup. If you want to route between the two
> > >> NICs, they have to be connected to _different_ network segments!
>

I know nothing compared to you guys but I think all this guy needs is a line 
like:

eth0

on his atalkd.conf. That line will make netatalk ignore the eth1 interface 
and work with the eth0 only.

Sorry if I'm talking nonsense.

---

From: JollyRoger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:04:37 -0500

> autoconfigured (might be a problem with your 3Coms if they are not multicast

Hmmm, just for grins I tried this.  Changed my atalkd.conf file from an
empty file to this:

eth0 -phase 2 -zone "FTP Server"

Now I get these startup errors:

Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity afpd[27250]: shutting down on signal 15
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity PAM_pwdb[27283]: (netatalk) session closed for
user test
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity afpd[27283]: 69.38KB read, 843.68KB written
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity atalk: afpd shutdown succeeded
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity atalkd: socket: Address family not supported by
protocol
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity atalkd: socket: Address family not supported by
protocol
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity atalkd: atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity atalk: atalkd startup failed
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity papd[27475]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity papd[27475]: No such printer: lp
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity papd[27475]: printcap problem: lp
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity atalk: papd startup succeeded
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity atalk: afpd startup succeeded
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity afpd[27485]: main: atp_open: Address family not
supported by protocol
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity afpd[27485]: ASIP started on 10.1.0.3:548(1)
(1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity afpd[27485]: uam: uams_clrtxt.so loaded
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity afpd[27485]: uam: "Cleartxt Passwrd" available
Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity papd[27475]: atp_open: Address family not
supported by protocol

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

---

From: Mac Conin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:33:59 +0200

This is correct - if seed is not in the line routing for netatalk is disabled

-- 
--schnippe-di-schnipp-- 

mit freundlichen grüssen

-----------------------------------------------------------
Mac Conin                        EUC Online Service GmbH
Geschäftsführer                  Taubengasse 9
[email-masked]                    D 50676 Koeln
http://www.euc.de                HRB Köln 32038
tel : +49-221-923 27 33          fax : +49-221-239 651
-----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Lasse Lehtinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:33:56 +0300 (EET DST)

> Jul 20 09:01:12 obscurity modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-5

You're running AppleTalk as a module? I've compiled AppleTalk to the
kernel, but i've seen similar problems in the SourceForge Netatalk
forums. Add the following line in your /etc/modules

alias appletalk net-pf-5

After that, you probably must reinstall the module with rmmod appletalk
and modprobe appletalk. Check more info at:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=306614&group_id=8642&atid=208642

---

From: Lasse Lehtinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:16:51 +0300 (EET DST)

> Then I would suggest to disable AppleTalk on one NIC completely. Try

Jul 20 21:10:48 ssc atalkd[1218]: config for no router
Jul 20 21:10:49 ssc atalkd[1218]: ready 0/0/0
Jul 20 21:10:49 ssc atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
Jul 20 21:11:01 ssc atalk: afpd startup succeeded
Jul 20 21:11:07 ssc afpd[1243]: Pingviini:AFPServer@* started on 
65280.166:128 (1.5pre6)

Tested this configuration on my own Linux box, I have no idea how it
behaves. But the first line caught my attention. Does it mean that there's
no router on the network but the server will still bring up in Chooser if
clients have no zone selected? That would be exactly what I wanted.

---

From: Carsten Neumann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 01:12:32 +0200

> forums. Add the following line in your /etc/modules

In my /etc/modules.conf (notice the suffix! ;-) )
there's a line:

alias net-pf-5            appletalk

The alias goes the opposite direction.
I think that makes more sense! ;-))

You will need to run a `depmod -a'.

> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=306614&group_id=8642&atid=208642

Kind regards

	Carsten

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 07:05:37 +0200

> clients have no zone selected? That would be exactly what I wanted.
Yes ...

... but for your server, be prepared to run into trouble again -- if I got
you right, you are planning to configure your server to be an IP router as
well.

I have been struggling with a similar setup myself, Netatalk bound to
primary NIC, IP (routed and NATed) to primary and secondary NICs, both
connected to the same physical network. Primary NIC is internal, secondary
external. Netatalk configured to use the IP number of primary NIC.

Remember, clients logon to the server using AppleTalk, but will change to
IP transport (routed!) after logon. With IP routing enabled, the server will
listen at both NICs for AppleTalk over IP traffic -- my server was always
receiving through secondary and sending through primary NIC, causing wired
problems.

Setting up a firewall at the server (Suse 7.0, Kernel 2.2.16), I managed
to restrict any AppleTalk traffic to the primary NIC, and all problems
vanished.  

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers

---

From: Lasse Lehtinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 10:34:21 +0300 (EET DST)

> you right, you are planning to configure your server to be an IP router as

No, that was the scenario where I would have to put the AppleTalk network
to a different segment and they would also have access to the gateway on
our LAN. That would required routing. The server running Netatalk isn't a
router, there's a seperate gateway in the network. So I would have two
NIC's in the same network with no routing and AppleTalk enabled on just
one them. How does that sound?

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 09:46:28 +0200

on Sat, 21 Jul 2001 10:34:21 +0300 (EET DST), Lasse Lehtinen wrote:

> So I would have two NIC's in the same network with no routing and AppleTalk
> enabled on just one them. How does that sound?

Okay. 

If you use eth1 for AppleTalk then you should configure in afpd.conf also
that eth1's ip address should be used for afp over tcp:

~ > cat /etc/atalk/afpd.conf
"Name of your Netatalk box" -ddp -tcp -address [eth1's address]

If clients connect via the chooser (NBP) then the server will answer their
FPGetSrvrInfo request with all the possibilities to connect to him
(including this ip address and default port 548).

If your clients use AppleShare Client 3.7.4 (AFAIR) or later then they will
establish the afp session via tcp/ip on the given address/port.

regards,

Thomas

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 10:50:42 +0200

Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:36:05 -0400 (EDT), Mac Conin wrote:

[message rearranged ;-) ]
> [...]

No.

Netatalk _tries_ to act as a router if it is configured to use two ore more
NICs on one machine.

This does not depend on whether you want Netatalk to be a seed router on one
or more interfaces or not. Netatalk can also act like a non-seed AppleTalk
router.

If you start with

    eth0 -phase 2
    eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net10-10 -addr 10.142 -zone "zone"

then Netatalk will look for a seed router on eth0 and learn it's
configuration for this segment (and other connected segments behind this
router also). On eth1 Netatalk will try to become a seed router for this
segment.

The only thing that matters is that network ranges stay unique in all
segments and that the same default zones are published (the first '-zone'
entry is the default zone on that segment)

One exception:

asun2.1.3 (and later?) supports also the switch '-router'. If this is set
you can publish zones on one single interface:

<http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/1999/2163.html>

regards,

Thomas

---

From: Lasse Lehtinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:54:13 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Thomas Kaiser wrote:

> your NIC can handle AppleTalk.

I used the eth1 -phase 2 and it worked. But i'm still getting some
performance issues. One G4-Mac with MacOS 9.0.4 and AppleShare 3.8.6 is
really slow with file transfers. Other Mac's are doing fine. And once I
tried to log in, one of the working Mac's hanged when I choosed what
volumes to mount. Here's what showed up the system log:

Jul 23 15:31:21 pc1-1633 afpd[12250]: dsi_stream_read(0): Connection reset by
Jul 23 15:31:21 pc1-1633 afpd[12250]: dsi_stream_send: Broken pipe
Jul 23 15:31:21 pc1-1633 afpd[12250]: dsi_wrtreply: Broken pipe
Jul 23 15:31:21 pc1-1633 afpd[12250]: dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe
Jul 23 15:31:21 pc1-1633 afpd[12250]: dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe
Jul 23 15:31:21 pc1-1633 afpd[12250]: 396.63KB read, 37.76KB written

---

From: "Jiri D. Hoogeveen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:57:10 +0200

I had also a poor netatalk performance.

Here the problem whas appletalk over ip. So I turn it of with " -notcp 
-ddp" After this the performance whas great.

Grtz, Jiri

---

From: Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:21:28 +0200

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:54:13 +0300 (EET DST), Lasse Lehtinen wrote:

> But i'm still getting some performance issues. One G4-Mac with MacOS 9.0.4 and
> AppleShare 3.8.6 is really slow with file transfers.

Does this G4 connect via AFP over TCP or AppleTalk?

Thomas

---

From: "Chris Garrigues" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:35:35 -0500

> From:  Thomas Kaiser <[email-masked]>
> Date:  Mon, 23 Jul 2001 16:21:28 +0200
>

One of our clients had a G4 that demonstrated terrible networking problems.  
It turns out that there are issues with the gigabit interface syncing with
various switches.  Looking in Apple's problem database, there appear to be 
other problems with the gigabit interface as well.  I'd investigate hardware 
issues before worrying about software.

Chris

-- 
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com
4314 Avenue C                   
Austin, TX  78751-3709		+1 512 374 0500

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html 

    Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft,
      but they could get fired for relying on Microsoft.