Subject: Driver versions.

From: Chris Johns <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 17:23:25 +1100

Hi all,

I just upgraded to the 1.4.99-20001108 version on source forge, from
1.4b2-asun2.1.3. Most things seem to be working. I have tried clrtxt
passwords which works, but not the other UAMS. This is on Linux RH6.2
with shadow passwds. The build took a bit of effort with the default
libtool needing upgrading plus a few other bit and pieces.

I now cannot print. I get a dialog on the Mac stating that PrintingLib
must Apple's 8.6 or greater. I currently have MacOs 8.5 installed.
Before heading off and upgrading MacOs I thought I check if this is
really the error and an upgrade is what is needed.

Regards

-- 
 Chris Johns, mailto:[email-masked] mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:44:18 -0500

> really the error and an upgrade is what is needed.

A few questions:

1) Did you use the RPM, or did you roll your own?

2) Do you have OpenSSL 0.9.5a installed on your system (rpm -q openssl)?

3) Does the randnum module load? If it is in /var/log/messages, it is
loading, but has no password file to use for authentication. Use the
afppasswd utility to maintain passwords for randnum authentication (it
also has a man page).

4) Could you post the portion of /var/log/messages where netatalk comes
up?

Thanks,
jeff

---

From: Chris Johns <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:24:39 +1100

> 1) Did you use the RPM, or did you roll your own?

I built the package myself. I needed to upgrade to the lastest libtool
(CVS), autoconf, and automake. Built with the configure options
`--with-shadow --with-pam'.

I still needed to hack a little to get the package to build. I can try
and figure what I did and send to you offline if you are interested.

I have another server with RH7.0 on the same subnet. The same code fails
to build on it with no packages upgraded :

Making all in bin
make[2]: Entering directory `/root/netatalk/rh7.01.4.99-0.20001108/bin'
Making all in adv1tov2
make[3]: Entering directory
`/root/netatalk/rh7.01.4.99-0.20001108/bin/adv1tov2'
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
-I../../../netatalk-1.4.99-0.20001108/bin/adv1tov2 -I../..     -g -O2
-I../../../netatalk-1.4.99-0.20001108/include
-I../../../netatalk-1.4.99-0.20001108/sys -c
../../../netatalk-1.4.99-0.20001108/bin/adv1tov2/adv1tov2.c
make[3]: *** No rule to make target
`../../../netatalk-1.4.99-0.20001108/libatalk/libatalk.a', needed by
`adv1tov2'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/root/netatalk/rh7.01.4.99-0.20001108/bin/adv1tov2'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/netatalk/rh7.01.4.99-0.20001108/bin'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/netatalk/rh7.01.4.99-0.20001108'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

> 2) Do you have OpenSSL 0.9.5a installed on your system (rpm -q openssl)?

No. It is on the RH7.0 machine.
 
> afppasswd utility to maintain passwords for randnum authentication (it

No it does not load. I did not want to generate another pass word file
and thought the randnum needs one so did not worry about it. I must
admit I did not look into this in any detail. I am using Cleartxt to get
things going. I was going to look at this once I sorted out the
services.

> 4) Could you post the portion of /var/log/messages where netatalk comes

Nov 14 20:06:26 kiwi papd[29279]: restart (1.5)
Nov 14 20:06:26 kiwi rc.atalk.redhat: papd startup succeeded
Nov 14 20:06:26 kiwi rc.atalk.redhat: timelord startup succeeded
Nov 14 20:06:26 kiwi rc.atalk.redhat: afpd startup succeeded
Nov 14 20:06:32 kiwi papd[29279]: Authentication disabled: LaserJet 5L
Nov 14 20:06:32 kiwi papd[29279]: register LaserJet 5L:LaserWriter@*
Nov 14 20:06:32 kiwi timelord[29290]: kiwi:TimeLord started
Nov 14 20:06:32 kiwi afpd[29301]: kiwi:AFPServer@* started on
65280.1:132 (1.5)
Nov 14 20:06:32 kiwi afpd[29301]: ASIP started on 172.16.100.4:548(1)
(1.5)
Nov 14 20:06:32 kiwi afpd[29301]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
Nov 14 20:06:32 kiwi afpd[29301]: uam: uams_clrtxt.so loaded
Nov 14 20:06:32 kiwi afpd[29301]: uam: "Cleartxt Passwrd" available
Nov 14 20:06:32 kiwi afpd[29301]: uam: "No User Authent" available

On the RH7.0 machine I have installed the rpm dated 20001108. I get the
following trace :

Nov 15 09:58:03 rat atalkd: eth0: multicast may not work correctly.
Nov 15 09:58:03 rat atalkd[1899]: restart (1.5)
Nov 15 09:58:04 rat kernel: kmem_grow: Called nonatomically from int -
size-32
Nov 15 09:58:04 rat kernel: kmem_grow: Called nonatomically from int -
size-32
Nov 15 09:58:04 rat atalkd[1899]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Nov 15 09:58:23 rat last message repeated 2 times
Nov 15 09:58:33 rat atalkd[1899]: config for no router
Nov 15 09:58:34 rat atalkd[1899]: ready 0/0/0
Nov 15 09:58:34 rat atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
Nov 15 09:58:46 rat atalk: papd startup succeeded
Nov 15 09:58:46 rat papd[1911]: restart (1.5)
Nov 15 09:58:47 rat atalk: timelord startup succeeded
Nov 15 09:58:47 rat atalk: afpd startup succeeded
Nov 15 09:58:52 rat papd[1911]: Authentication disabled: DesignJet488
Nov 15 09:58:52 rat papd[1911]: register DesignJet488:LaserWriter@*
Nov 15 09:58:53 rat timelord[1921]: rat:TimeLord started
Nov 15 09:58:53 rat afpd[1931]: rat:AFPServer@* started on 65280.55:250
(1.5)
Nov 15 09:58:53 rat afpd[1931]: ASIP started on 172.16.100.102:548(1)
(1.5)
Nov 15 09:58:53 rat afpd[1931]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
Nov 15 09:58:53 rat afpd[1931]: uam: uams_clrtxt.so loaded
Nov 15 09:58:53 rat afpd[1931]: uam: uams_dhx.so loaded
Nov 15 09:58:53 rat afpd[1931]: uam: "DHCAST128" available
Nov 15 09:58:53 rat afpd[1931]: uam: "Cleartxt Passwrd" available
Nov 15 09:58:53 rat afpd[1931]: uam: "No User Authent" available

The reason I built from the sources on the RH6.2 machine (kiwi) was to
figure out why the RH7.0 (rat) machine did not show up in the Chooser. I
can see the RH6.2 server but not the RH7.0 server. I am not strong on
the Apple side of things so would not be suprised if the issue is on the
Mac.