Subject: weird permissions

From: Alex King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:27:39 +1300

I am using netatalk 1.4b2 with asun2.1.3 as distributed in the standard
potato debian package.  Things work well as a rule, but I am having
three problems.

Firstly, I have shared folders with pemissions set to drwxrws--- so
that files and folders created in that folder will retain group write
access and be accessable by others in the group.  However, when a mac
creates a Network Trash Folder it is created with drwx--Srwx !  Ie,
group access is not allowed.

This causes several problems, is there any way around this, and will
it be fixed in the next release of netatalk?

The other two problems are not strictly netatalk related, but people
here may have some insight.  We are trying to develop an applescript
which can be run on a client mac for logging on to the server.  It
asks for a username and password and then mounts various folders on
the server after putting away any drives still mounted by a previous
user.  The trouble is that we have not yet come up with a single
script that will work on a variety of hardware running system 7, 8 and
9 and reliably mount the folders.  If anyone has such a script or any
tips I's be glad to hear about them.

Finally, we need some scriptable mechanism to set the time on the
clients.  We have been using vremya which works well, but the
fileservers are on dialup connections to the internet and loose
synchronisation when not online.  When the server is out of sync,
vremya will just complain.

I'd be glad to hear from anyone who had solved any of these problems :)

---

From: Milivoj Ivkovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:53:08 +0100

>vremya will just complain.

I'm not sure about systems 7 or 8, but with 9, the Mac OS has an option to 
keep synch with any ntp server.

For linux servers which are on dialup connections, I use chrony to have the 
server get synchronized to an ntp source only when it is online, and the 
Macs synch on that dialup server. Seems to work well. I can post my config 
files if anybody is interested.

Can't find the URL for chrony now, but a web search should do.