Subject: Fwd:

From: TimY <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 08:23:22 -0700

I would make a super clean kernel.  Take out everything that you 
don't need.  I would also compile appletalk into the kernel instead 
of loading it as a module. I personaly like to have minimal modules. 
But that is me.

Have you tried using Helios Lantest??  If not goto helios's wev site 
and d/l it and try it out.  I would be real interested in obtaining a 
report of the benchmarks for my collection.  If interested please let 
me know.

Later,
Tim Yardley

>>I'm definitely accessing the server over IP, but i'm not sure what 
>>i would mess
>>around with in the stock SMP kernels, what in particular should be 
>>turned off? or
>>are you suggesting a minimized (nothing extra) kernel?
>>
>>i should probably define creeping... instead of 3-4 seconds for a 
>>20Mb file, it's
>>20-30 seconds. like it seems to hang for a while before it starts 
>>sending the file.
>>

---

From: "Lawrence Farr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 17:06:37 +0100

If anyones interested, I have some benchmarks at:

http://asteroids.sixforty.co.uk/~l.farr/lantests/

for Windows 2000, Helios, NT4, FreeBSD 4.0 and 4.1 with
softupdates. These are compared to a G4's internal HD for speed. All testing
is on a PIII450 with 1Gb RAM.

If anyone wants to send me some Helios Lan test results for
Linux or whatever, I'll stick them on as well.

Lawrence Farr
EPC Direct Limited mailto:[email-masked]
T:01179666123 F:01179666111 M:07970780901

> -----Original Message-----
> From: TimY [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 03 August 2000 16:23
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Fwd:
>
>