Subject: Netatalk & FreeBSD

From: Sean Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:33:12 -0700

G'day Folks,

I've been running netatalk for around 2 years now, and it works so well, I
rarely even have to look at it, hats off to all involved! However, I do have
some old and some new concerns I'm hoping I can get a little help with.

First the new...
I'm looking at upgrading my FreeBSD server running FreeBSD 3.4 and Netatalk
1.4b2 + ASUN2.1.3 to FreeBSD 4.0 stable. Has anyone had any experience with
this yet? Just checking to see if anyone has run into any problems or
compatbility issues I should be aware of.

Now the old...

I have mounted an ISO CD in the filesystem, and whenever I attempt to copy a
file from it to a Mac workstation, I get an error: "The file cannot be read
because it is in use". Any other method of accessing the CD seems to work
(FTP for example). I can get a directory listing on the CD from my Mac no
problems, but as soon as I try to copy something it errors out on me. There
doesn't seem to be anything helpful in the logs, anyone have any ideas?
Along these lines, I've seen lots of talk of mounting HFS volumes in Linux
filesystems in the archives, has anyone tried this in FreeBSD?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Sean.

Sean Page
Network Analyst
Information Technology Services
Edmonton Public School Board