Subject: Re: problem with 1.4b2+asun2.1.4

From: Peter Gutowski <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Jul 2000 08:50:49 -0400

On Sunday, July 16, 2000, Jolly Roger <[email-masked]> wrote:
>All of a sudden, when I view the server in the Network Browser or the
>Chooser, it shows one single volume being shared, with NO NAME, just an icon
>(or in the Chooser, a blank item in an otherwise-empty list of
>volumes).

According to the man pages for afpd:

FILES
       /usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.default
                           list of default volumes to mount

       /usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.system
                           list of volumes to offer all users

       $HOME/AppleVolumes  user's list of volumes to mount

In addition, I have found that ".AppleVolumes" in the user's home directory works as well (and has the beneficial side-effect of being invisible to the user from the mac; all "dot" files/directories are invisible from the Mac). Further this .AppleVolume file can be a symlink to another file (called whatever you want and can reside anywhere on the filesystem) which allows you some creativity in terms of making certain "classes" of users have certain shares available to them.

The syntax for these [text] files is:

# lines starting with # are treated as comments 
<mountpoint><whitespace><sharename>\n

e.g. .....

---- sample file: /usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.default ----

~
# above tilde on a line all by itself will allow 
# the user to mount home directory with the name 
# showing up as the user's login

/AppleShare/Disk1             Disk1

# this line shares the mountpoint /AppleShare/Disk1. 
# It shows up as "Disk1" on the users desktop. Finally....]

/AppleShare/Disk2             "Shared Storage Disk"

# the above line is a mild elaboration of the previous entry
# the share name is in quotes because it contains space
# characters

---------- end of sample file ---------------------         

I believe there is a preference order for these files, but I'm not sure what that order is. I'm also not absolutely sure if they are cumulative, i.e. getting the "sum total" of these files, or instead the one with the later read priority.

My recommendation would be to go to your home directory and enter the command:

echo "~" >> .AppleVolumes

and then try logging into the afpd server through the Chooser.

Hope this helps.

-- 
Peter Gutowski / [email-masked]

"Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy day." -- Susan Ertz (c. 1894-1985), American Writer

---

From: Jolly Roger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 15:42:53 -0500

> $HOME/AppleVolumes  user's list of volumes to mount

(snip)

Yes, I know.  I've set all the config files up already.  netatalk was
working just fine, as I stated, and then for some unknown reason, it stopped
working and began exhibiting the symptoms I described in my last post.

My AppleVolumes.default contains:

~               "Home Directory"
/home/ftp/      "FTP Server"

My afpd.conf file contains:

- -tcp -nocleartext
"Guest Volume" -transall -nocleartext -loginmesg "Welcome to my Appleshare
server!"

Which makes the following display under Network Browser on multiple macs on
my LAN, running both Mac OS 9, and Mac OS 8.6.  Here is a screenshot of my
Network Browser (inside is the domain nickname for the netatalk box):

http://microcosmsoftware.com/jollyroger/NetworkBrowser.gif

There is no .AppleVolumes file in /home/ftp/, which is the way I want it,
and as I have already stated, worked fine for a day.

The Guest Volume login is a guest account, so anyone can log in. Since
anyone can log in, rather than having to place a .AppleVolumes file in every
users home directory, I opted to let netatalk use AppleVolumes.default. If
you look at my AppleVolumes.default, you'll see that every user should see
two volumes.  If you'll then look at the screenshot I provided of Network
Browser, you'll see that that's not happening.

I don't see anything wrong with my config.  I've done all I know to do.
Basically I have no AppleShare server until this is resolved, which really
bites.  I have over 25 gig of home-brewed MP3's on the netatalk box - I miss
being able to listen to them from other computers while I work.  :(  I was
also using the netatalk box as a weekly backup, but that's gone too.

---

From: Jolly Roger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 00:31:48 -0500

I just noticed something else strange.

If I do a tail -f /var/log/messages, and then while that is running, go to a
mac, and open "inside-microcosm" in Network Browser, as soon as the login
dialog appears, this get put into the log:

Jul 17 00:30:35 inside-microcosm afpd[1465]: ASIP session:548(2) from
10.1.0.4:49720(0)
Jul 17 00:30:35 inside-microcosm afpd[1450]: server_child[1] 1465 done

So is this saying that the server child immediately quit?

Then, if I log on as guest, this gets put into the log:

Jul 17 00:30:40 inside-microcosm afpd[1466]: ASIP session:548(2) from
10.1.0.4:49721(0)
Jul 17 00:30:40 inside-microcosm afpd[1466]: login noauth
Jul 17 00:30:40 inside-microcosm afpd[1466]: login nobody (uid 99, gid 99)

And at this point I see the blank volume in Network Browser...

strange stuff...