Subject: Shadows, nis, etc.

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 15:31:22 -0700 (PDT)

Okay, I fixed my ADMIN_GRP patches to work with the tree on CVS (we
originally wrote them for 1.4b2+asun2.1.3), compiled it, and ran into a
problem.  I can log in using any NIS account, but the accounts listed in
/etc/passwd don't get verified (Sorry, the password you entered is
incorrect).  I compiled the unmodified CVS code and discovered the problem
exists even without my modifications.  So it's either a problem with the
way I've configured everything, or it's a bug in the latest release of the
code.

As soon as I can figure out this minor detail (including why it works with
asun2.1.3 but not with 2.1.4pre39 or whatever that CVS tree is), I can
submit the first of my patches.  If I can get this to work, file
permissions (including a partial drop-box fix), logging fixes, and server
message passing fixes will be posted after that, so any assistance you can
provide with this minor configuration difficulty would eventually help out
all netatalk users.  :)

My config:
Everything is verified using PAM modules.  Shadow passwords are
enabled.  If the user doesn't have an account listed in /etc/passwd, it
goes to the nis database.  afpd is using cleartext authentication.  This
is a Red Hat 6.1 machine.

Changes I made to the Makefiles to configure netatalk accordingly:
in netatalk/Makefile
  Commented out CRYPTODIR
  Uncommented PAMDIR
** and then, per an earlier posting here about shadow passwords,
in netatalk/etc/afpd/Makefile
  added -DSHADOWPW to the CFLAGS line
in netatalk/etc/uams/Makefile
  added -DSHADOWPW to the CFLAGS line
in netatalk/sys/linux/Makefile
  added -lcrypt -lrpcsvc to the ADDLIBS line
** note:  uam.c already contained the #ifdef SHADOWPW includes.

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/

---

From: "jeff b" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:51:53 +0000 (GMT)

> ** note:  uam.c already contained the #ifdef SHADOWPW includes.

The automake/autoconf system of Makefile.am's already supports enabling of 
shadow passwords in ./configure (defining SHADOWPW across the entire 
package), and -lcrypt and -lrpcsvc are also set across the entire package.

Are there any other Makefile changes that need to be mirrored in the 
automake / autoconf system?
     
*************************
jeff b
system administrator
university communications
university of connecticut
[email-masked]