Subject: How to set up dual interfaces (Solaris)

From: Michael Harlow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 15:10:47 +1000

Hello. I'm hoping someone will be able to help me configure a host with 
dual ethernet interfaces for netatalk (Solaris 7/Sparc 10).

Putting it simply, I want to set up the host as a print server, with the 
clients on the primary interface, and all the printers on the second 
interface, hidden and inaccessible to the clients.

I have existing zones, controlled by someone else. I can place the primary 
interface (le0) in the appropriate Public zone. I need to create my own 
zone on the second interface (seeding ?) but I obviously dont want to route 
it. I've been given a unique net number (556) from the central authority 
for my private zone.

So, how do I configure atalkd.conf ? what net numbers and addr values ?
Can I prevent the private zone from appearing for my clients ?

I gather I can control the destination printer for "pap" from the printer 
name given to it. How do I control the zone that "papd" broadcasts my 
printer queues on?

Thanks
Michael
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael J Harlow                    email : [email-masked]
Computer Systems Officer, School of Geography and Env. Studies,
University of Tasmania, GPO Box 252-78, Hobart, Tas 7001, Australia.
Phone : (03) 6226 2212 or 0419 585 308      fax  : (03) 6226 2989
Web : http://www.geol.utas.edu.au/geog
-------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 12:58:53 +0200

>interface, hidden and inaccessible to the clients.

I don't think that zone hiding is possible with atalkd.

>it. I've been given a unique net number (556) from the central authority 

For the last public (non development) release there's no chance for no-routing.
Tell your people thy have always to use the spooler and not the printers directly.

>So, how do I configure atalkd.conf ? what net numbers and addr values ?

# Format of lines in this file:
#
#    interface [ -seed ] [ -phase { 1 | 2 } ] [ -addr net.node ]
#   [ -net first[-last] ] [ -zone ZoneName ] ...

So build your own:
le0
le1 -seed -phase 2 -net 556 -addr 556.1 -zone "Printers"

the entry for le0 will be filled-out from atalkd (because there's a router, it will be filled-out right).

>Can I prevent the private zone from appearing for my clients ?

I don't think so.

Read the last sentence of this manpage snippet carefully:

>       papd is typically started at boot time,  out  of  /etc/rc.
>       It    first    reads    from   its   configuration   file,
>       /usr/local/etc/papd.conf.  The file is in the same  format
>       as  /etc/printcap.  See printcap(5) for details.  The name
>       of the entry is registered with NBP.

Clearer:

>       This means that you may specify a full NBP-Name  for  your
>       printer entry which enables you to not only use other NBP-
>       Types than LaserWriter but you may specify a Zone in which
>       the Spooler should pop up.

A nbp-name is built of

Name:NBP-Type@Zone

My Printer:LaserWriter@Printers

Be careful to escape the : with a \ in papd.conf!

I've explained this in detail a while ago, so have a look at the list archives.

:wq! PoC