Subject: Asun2.1.4 pre37 and afpd dying?

From: Kevin White <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 100 12:28:25 -0500 (EST)

I compiled netatalk+asun2.1.4+pre37 with OpenSSL to enable DHX
support, and installed the Mac client 3.8.3 on a B&W G3 with OS 8.5.
When I go to the Chooser, I see the server, and when I click on it,
the Mac asks me if I want to use the Encrypted module...

If I use encrypted, or not, I can't log in.  The Mac takes a username
and password, and tried to connect...and then afpd dies on the Linux
box...just disappears.  It doesn't leave a message in
/var/log/messages, or even leave a core file laying around...

I can't figure out what's going on...I'm using the default setup,
mostly...added an option to explicitely set the IP address of the
server, but that's about it.

Note, the network consists of 3 computers in my basement, one make, 2
PCs, on one hub.  I'm not "seeding the appletalk network", because I
have no freakin' clue how to do that or whta it is (did anyone ever
DOCUMENT this stuff?  (And I'm not complaining about netatalk
here...but Apple.  Stuff like AppleTalk and NetInfo, really
complicated things with no documentation, drive me bonkers...isn't
this platform supposed to be BETTER?  Anyways... </rant off>)

Has anyone seen afpd just die before?  I don't think it is related to
the encryption, as it happens with cleartext (btw, the log file shows
netatalk loading all the user auth methods, so that's not the
problem).

I'm thinking of rebuilding the Mac to get the default MacOS 8.5 client
back, in case it was the client.

Other than that, I'm pretty much out of ideas...the Linux box is Red
Hat 6.1, installed from scratch last night...openssl-0.9.5 and
netatalk all compiled from source.

I've set netatalk up before, a slightly older version...I didn't have
this problem.

Thanks for any help...

Kevin