Subject: Can't Share HP Printer with Mac

From: Jackson Damien <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:21:39 -0700

Hello!

I have a setup a Linux Box running Redhat 7.0 and 
Netatalk-1.4.99-0.20001108mdk.  I have set up a connection to the 
network printer downstairs (an HP LaserJet 5M) successfully and able 
to print to it.  I have also set up Samba and have been able to share 
it with my two PC's and successfully print to it.

I set up Netatalk and was able to print two files successfully. 
After I set up Samba however, I cannot get it to print anymore.  When 
I choose the printer the chooser there is a spool icon that wasn't 
there before, and I can't get rid of.

I have turned AppleTalk off and back on, and cleared the Linux print 
queue, as well as set up other printer.  They all now have the same 
problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:48:52 -0800 (PST)

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What does your papd.conf file look like?

	Andy

---

From: Jackson Damien <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:27:07 -0700

>What does your papd.conf file look like?

Here it is:

Mac Print:\
         :pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -P printer-laser -h:

Actually I have been able to print again, but not from everything.  I 
can print from IE 5.0 on my Mac for example, but not Eudora 5 or a 
text selection in BetterTelnet.

When I try to print however, everything spools to the printer the 
exact same way.  It's just from certain programs nothing comes out.

Thanks.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:53:54 -0800 (PST)

> exact same way.  It's just from certain programs nothing comes out.

Hmmm, everything looks okay in your papd.conf setup.  You might check to
make sure that you are printing in ascii instead of binary in each
program.  Printing in binary can cause problems in papd sometimes.  I
don't know why any of this would be related to samba though.

	Andy

---

From: Jackson Damien <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 12:18:32 -0700

>program.  Printing in binary can cause problems in papd sometimes.  I

How would I check this?

Thanks.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 12:28:27 -0800 (PST)

> >program.  Printing in binary can cause problems in papd sometimes.  I

When you hit print on your mac, it should bring up a dialog box where you
can change printer settings.  Somewhere in there is (usually) a choice
between ascii and binary postscript.

	Andy

---

From: Jackson Damien <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 14:29:44 -0700

>between ascii and binary postscript.

Well, I don't see an option for that, but there is an option for 
printing either  'Black & White' or 'Color/Grayscale'.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:30:44 -0800 (PST)

> printing either  'Black & White' or 'Color/Grayscale'.

Some applications will have the ascii/binary choice in their Page Setup
menu choice.  Even still, it varies from application to application and
with different versions of the LaserWriter software.  Sorry I can't be
more help...

	Andy

---

From: Crystal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 16:53:47 -0600

> exact same way.  It's just from certain programs nothing comes out.
Hi Jackson,

Have you tried trashing the Mac printing preference and re-setting up the
printer from the Mac side? You are looking for a file called "LaserWriter 8
prefs" in system Folder:Preferences:Printing Prefs.

C.

---

From: Mike Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 20:12:15 GMT

I hope he's not trying to use a laserWriter printer on the mac for his HP
printer!

I don't know what model of printer we're talking about, but it sounds
like a newer hp. I'm also guessing that plain text will print just fine,
but anything resembling an image either prints nothing or prints an error
message.

(In any case, this is good debugging info, so give it a shot and tell us
what you find.)

If I'm right and it is a newer printer model, I'm sure it uses
postscript. In such a case, you really don't want to use the laserWriter
driver. Instead, head to www.adobe.com and hit the site map button at the
top. Find and download the universal postscript driver for the mac on
that page.

Now when you go to the chooser, there will be a laserWriter looking thing
with a big A on it. Click on it and your netatalk printer should be
there. When you hit "setup" the chooser application tries to get the
printer postscript level (levels one through three) from the netatalk 
server.

If it still doesn't work, or the printer doesn't support postscript, hit
me back with an email -- I have a few other tricks up my sleeve.

- Mike Johnson

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 12/1/00, 2:53:47 PM, Crystal <[email-masked]> wrote regarding Re:

---

From: Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 13:50:15 -0700 (MST)

> I hope he's not trying to use a laserWriter printer on the mac for his HP

Why not?

I have 10 network HP printers (4M -> 4500) and use the laserwriter driver
to print to all of them. 

Tim

Tim Carlson                                  Voice:    (505) 984-8800x255
Director of Computing: Santa Fe Institute    Fax:      (505) 982-0565
WWW: http://www.santafe.edu/~tim             Email:   [email-masked]

---

From: Christian Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 01:00:10 +0100

>  I hope he's not trying to use a laserWriter printer on the mac for his HP

Why not??

>  driver.

Why not? I'm using a LaserJet 6MP connected to my linux server, and 
I'm spooling to it using the LaserWriter Driver (that came with MacOS 
9) with the appropriate PPD file.
Everything works fine.

>  Instead, head to www.adobe.com and hit the site map button at the

OK, http://www.adobe.com is just right. You can also grab PPD files 
there - even for Ink Jet printers...

So, what is the advantage of using the Adobe PS driver for printing 
with netatalk?

Yours,
Christian
-- 
Made with a Macintosh...
[email-masked]
http://home.t-online.de/home/chrischmi/

---

From: Jackson Damien <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 18:00:16 -0700

>prefs" in system Folder:Preferences:Printing Prefs.

Tried that.  I even installed the latest version of the LaserWriter 8 
software I could find, 8.6.1.  I also found out (from a couple of 
minutes ago) that it seems to work semi randomly throughout all 
programs.  I just tried to print a couple of webpages just a few 
minutes ago.  I had three print jobs, and only one came out (all from 
IE 5).

Strange

---

From: Mike Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 01:14:38 GMT

Postscript prints more consistently with postscript, in my experience.

I had a technical article somewhere but I think I lost it. Anyway, the 
gist is that the macs use a funky scheme to decide which version of 
laserwriter drivers the print queue should use for a networked printer.

While it's not a concern in this case, I wouldn't recommend using the 
laserwriter in a networked environment. It's a good way to increase your 
network utilization by a good 30% or so (assuming several clients and 
printers).

I tried finding it again in the macintosh knowledgebase but didn't have 
any luck. It's mostly dumbed down information in there, anyhow.

Anyway. Postscript good. Fast. Laserwriter. Chatty. Have strong personal 
preference against it. But may work anyhow, I'm told. :)

The man was saying that he was having a problem with garbled output. 
Using postscript would probably fix that if configured correctly.

- Mike

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 12/4/00, 12:50:15 PM, Tim Carlson <[email-masked]> wrote regarding Re: 

> WWW: http://www.santafe.edu/~tim             Email:   [email-masked] 
http://www.santafe.edu/~tim             Email:   [email-masked]

---

From: Jackson Damien <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 18:35:08 -0700

>I hope he's not trying to use a laserWriter printer on the mac for his HP

Actually yes I am.  I pick LaserWriter 8 in the Chooser, and then 
pick LaserJet 5M (the model of the printer) by after clicking on the 
setup button.  Is there something else I should be using?

>but anything resembling an image either prints nothing or prints an error

Images seem to print just fine, as does text.  Everything seems to 
spool the same way to the printer, just sometimes nothing comes out.

>top. Find and download the universal postscript driver for the mac on

I'll try it out and let you know.  So far it seems to be working much 
better.  I used the HP 5m printer description file.  Should that be 
ok?