Subject: Instructions for Compiling 1.4.99

From: rgp systems <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 16:32:41 -0400

I downloaded and untarred the archive, but was unable to figure out how to
compile. The READMEs say to edit the root-level Makefile, but I couldn't
find one (though there were a bunch of Makefile.am). They also said there
was a config file in the INSTALL dir, but I couldn't find an INSTALL dir.

Help!

-- 
Randy Perry
rgp systems

Mac Consulting/Sales

---

From: rgp systems <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 18:55:43 -0400

> was a config file in the INSTALL dir, but I couldn't find an INSTALL dir.

I discovered that running ./autogen-sh set things up so I could compile, and
I compiled and installed successfully.

I also tried to create an RPM by running the buildrpm script in distrib/rpm.
It failed with the following error. What must I do?

cp: overwrite `/usr/src/redhat/SPECS'? cp: overwrite
`/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES'? tar: netatalk+asun: Cannot stat: No such file or
directory
tar (grandchild): /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/netatalk+asun.tar.gz: Cannot open:
Not a directory
tar (grandchild): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
File is not a regular file: /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/netatalk-asun-cobalt.spec

-- 
Randy Perry
rgp systems

Mac Consulting/Sales

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2000 20:33:27 -0700 (PDT)

Dunno' why the RPM wouldn't build, but I have a comment about compiling
the source code.  autogen-sh sets up the Makefile and the configure
script.  After running autogen-sh, you should run ./configure.  configure
can be used to customize the compile options.  That includes enabling
dropbox support, specifying the directories where things can be found
(such as encryption libraries and server message files), etc.  

By default, configure goes through and tries to detect the locations of
the files it needs, then updates the Makefiles with that data.  But some
features (such as the dropbox kludge) will remain in their default state
unless you pass an option to the configure script.  Dropbox support
(a.k.a. dropkludge) remains off by default.  Administrator group access is
available by default (and activated in afpd.conf).

> File is not a regular file: /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/netatalk-asun-cobalt.spec

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/

---

From: jeff b <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 07:59:32 -0400

> > > I downloaded and untarred the archive, but was unable to figure out
> > > how to compile. The READMEs say to edit the root-level Makefile, but
> > > I couldn't find one (though there were a bunch of Makefile.am). They
> > > also said there was a config file in the INSTALL dir, but I couldn't 
> > > find an INSTALL dir.
-- SNIP --
> > `/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES'? tar: netatalk+asun: Cannot stat: No such
> > file or directory
> > tar (grandchild): /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/netatalk+asun.tar.gz: Cannot 
> > open: Not a directory
> > File is not a regular file:
> > /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/netatalk-asun-cobalt.spec

To compile an RPM, grab the SRPM (.src.rpm) from sourceforge, then run
rpm --rebuild netatalk-(version)-(build).src.rpm and it will build from
that source RPM. The spec files in the distribution are ancient.

jeff