Subject: quark and linocolor save file problems

From: Dejan Muhamedagic <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:00:31 +0100

Hello,

I'm in a process of moving a neat pre-press company from
Helios/Irix to netatalk/Linux/Alpha.  There have been
several problems with Quark and Linocolor (the scanning
app).  The netatalk installed is pre-asun2.1.4-36a, but I'm
hoping to upgrade to 37b in next few days.

Linocolor is, sometimes (around 60-70% as claimed by users),
not able to save the scan to a volume.  The interesting
thing is that the application gives document a name like
"Scan 1 1-12633878068", then user is trying to save it under
different name, but the error refers to the original name.
I was not able to find a reference to this application in
the archives.

Quark (v3.32) does not want to do "Save as" and "Save all to
one folder" (please assume that these quotes may not be
exactly as they are---I'm in Austria and all of their apps
are in German).  With both, the file(s) is actually saved by
afpd, but Quark reports error -54 and afpd thinks that this
was just business as usual.  Because if you try to open the
"Save as..." file, it says that the file is locked (or
already opened, error -49) and it actually is (by afpd).  It
seems that there's some kind of misunderstanding between
netatalk and Quark.  I've found a single reference to this
error and it boiled down to disabling Autosave feature, but
my users swear that they are not using this.  BTW, Passport
v3.31 has no problems with either of these save options.

The old Helios software still works and they have never had any
problems with it, so you may guess just how suspiciously they
look at me.

Many TIA,

Dejan Muhamedagic

-- 

Dejan Muhamedagic   mailto:[email-masked]
UNIX and Linux Support   mailto:[email-masked]

Quant-X Service & Consulting Ges.m.b.H.  http://www.quant-x.com
Phn: +43 4212 90555-0     Fax: 90555-20    Free: +800 90555 000