Subject: Two servers, one problem.

From: [email-masked] (Steve Ladendorf)
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 08:27:39 -0500

I have been using Netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on RedHat Linux 6.1 for several
months.  I have two identical servers on different networks, revrdist-ms
and revrdist-hc (one for each campus at our school).  Both have volumes
named zImage.  When I log into one server and mount the zImage volume I am
then not able to mount the volume from the second server at the same time
- it is grayed out as an option in the chooser?  It is as if the client
sees both servers as the same even though they are on separate networks. 
I am able to mount a volume of a different name from the second server.

I have several NT boxes that are being replaced and these let me mount two
volumes with the same name from different servers at the same time so I
know other servers let this happen.  Both servers are set up as tcp/ip
only so neither are registering on the appletalk network.

What in Netatalk would cause two separate servers to appear as the same
box to a client?

The obvious answer is to change the name of the volumes but we have
several hundred clients logging into these servers using RevRdist (lab
management software from the University of Purdue) and I'm not ready to
change all my scripts - not yet at least.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Steve Ladendorf                         Network Manager
[email-masked]      The Blake School

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:47:14 -0400

Steve,

	Just thinking out loud here.  What if you used NFS to mount one
linux machine through another linux machine?  Then, they should show up on
the same machine.  In fact, you could probably turn off Netatalk on the
other linux box.  Thinks might be slowed down a bit since users will be
going through another layer, though.

	Unfortunetly, I've never set up NFS before, so I can't give you any
help.  But it all *sounds* reasonable.

	Ryan

>What in Netatalk whould cause two separate servers to appear as the same
>box to a client?
>

__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
__________________________________
If you want to achieve excellence, you can get there today. As of this
second, quit doing less-than-excellent work.
-Thomas Watson, founder of IBM

---

From: John Koger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:52:33 -0500

Steve,

We do exactly that with samba; I would think that it would work with
netatalk, too. The samba server does get pretty bogged down when a lot of
people are hitting the NFS-mounted disk, but it does work. 

-- 
John Koger
System Administrator
Lab for Affective Neuroscience
Psychology Department
University of Wisconsin, Madison

Never see a movie about Egypt with an Egyptologist:

  "You know, _The Mummy_ wasn't a bad film, until about halfway through,
  when my friend leaned over to me and said, 'If you don't shut up about
  the historical inaccuracies in this thing, I'm leaving!'"