Subject: FreeBSD netatalk problems

From: Dave Swegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:27:00 +0100

Being completely new to Appletalk, and just been placed in charge of
implementing it on new platform I've encountered a problem.

We currently have netatalk working properly under FreeBSD 3.0. We are now
moving to FreeBSD 4.0, and this is where the problem is coming up.

The servers go up OK, but the Mac we use to test the network won't find the new
server. Instead the new servers /var/log/messages shows the following lines a
lot:
Jul 17 16:05:55 trabant atalkd[8547]: nbp lkup sendto 41201.173: Network is unreachable
Jul 17 16:15:03 trabant last message repeated 14 times

The config files which are used are exactly the same as those used on the other
hosts (which btw can see the new server fine using nbplkup :Workstation), and 
these are basically the same as the ones distributed with netatalk.

I've tried bringing AT on the Mac down and back up, as well as restarting the
Mac. No luck.

I would really appreciate any light that can be shed on this problem.

Cheers
	Dave

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:22:24 -0700 (PDT)

> I've tried bringing AT on the Mac down and back up, as well as restarting the

What does your atalkd.conf file look like?

I've seen similar messages regarding net 41201 from time to time, so I
don't think it is necessarily a problem.

	Andy

---

From: Dave Swegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:51:47 +0100

> don't think it is necessarily a problem.

The atalkd.conf file is empty. If there is an issue regarding net 41201, what
can be done about it?

Cheers
	Dave

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:40:15 -0700 (PDT)

> The atalkd.conf file is empty. If there is an issue regarding net 41201, what

I don't know where the 41201 errors come from, so I can't say how to fix
it.

I find it strange that you have a blank atalkd.conf file.  After you start
atalkd for the first time, it should write the current network settings
into atalkd.conf.  What does you /var/log/messages look like when you
start atalkd?

	Andy

---

From: Dave Swegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 17:19:44 +0100

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 10:40:15AM -0700, andrew morgan wrote:
[ Stuff deleted ]
> into atalkd.conf.  What does you /var/log/messages look like when you

OK, I deleted the empty atalkd.conf file and restarted netatalk. This is what
atalkd.conf looks like:

fxp0 -phase 2 -net 65280-65534 -addr 65280.41
stf0 -phase 2 -net 65280-65534 -addr 0.0
faith0 -phase 2 -net 65280-65534 -addr 0.0

/var/log/messages has the following:

Jul 18 17:13:38 trabant papd[520]: restart (1.4b2)
Jul 18 17:13:44 trabant papd[520]: register trabant:LaserWriter@*
Jul 18 17:13:45 trabant atalkd[516]: nbp lkup sendto 41201.173: Network is unreachable
Jul 18 17:13:48 trabant last message repeated 4 times

I'm completely stumped, as it seems that the other FreeBSD machines seem to be able to see the one I'm working on with no problems.

Cheers
	Dave