Subject: Read-Only in Shared Account?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 16:15:30 +0200

Thank you for your previous help.  I have had success creating shared accounts,
but I have a few little problems too.  

1) I found that the users had to have the primary group be that of the shared
account -- otherwise they can't open files created by other users in the group,
because netatalk assigns premissions of 660 and creates files and folders based
on the user and primary group of the individual creating or saving the file.

2) Some users also want to be able to save read only files/folders inside this
shared directory.  I don't know if this is possible and allow solution one
listed above.

3) Can someone tell me how do I affect the file/folder mask?  I looked in
/etc/atalk/config and couldn't find anything that looked appropriate.  I would
like to change the mask in only certain directories and leave the default as
is.  Is this possible?

Thanks,

Bill

PS -- did anybody figure out how to create a drop box?

-------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through IMP: mail.tasis.ch

---

From: Tom Fitzgerald <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 16:08:52 -0400

> shared directory.  I don't know if this is possible and allow solution one

Once the file is uploaded, the owner can do a get-info on the file, switch
to "sharing", and manually set the permissions associated with it
(basically they want to remove group write access).

This doesn't automatically stop other users from renaming or deleting the
file, since you don't need to write to a file to do this (you only need to
write to the directory it's in).  To make files non-deletable except by
the owner, make sure the sticky bit is on in the parent folder.  The ls -l
display should look like:

drwxrwsr-t  21 root     group      1024 Aug  2 15:42 Folder Name

with the "t" in the 10th column to show you the sticky bit is set.

> like to change the mask in only certain directories and leave the default as

New folders are always created with the same permissions as their parent
folder.  Files are created with the permissions of the parent folder,
masked with 0666.

So generally if you set the root folders up right, and manually set the
permissions on special folders created in it (like dropboxes), everything
should work.

If this doesn't do what you need, users will need to change the
permissions on the files themselves, as described above.

> PS -- did anybody figure out how to create a drop box?

Depends on exactly what you need, but yes.  The discussion should be in
the list archives.

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 15:13:59 -0700 (PDT)

Well; I came up with a partial fix, and I see a partial fix is in the CVS
tree now, but the closest I've gotten is making the dropbox work to get
stuff *into* the directory, but the owner can't get it back *out* again
(still owned by whoever dropped it there) without linux access.  

> Depends on exactly what you need, but yes.  The discussion should be in

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 10:54:23 +0200

I have found that if the primary group of the individual submiting the data is
the same as the group of the shared folder then everything works fine.  This is
an acceptable solution for my Administrators, because they have a simple group
structure, but students on the other hand who belong to several classes -- I
haven't figured out how to deal with that.

Any additional idea?

---

From: Jason Quigley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 14:30:03 +0200

I haven't had any messages since 2nd August.

Cheers,
Jason.