Subject: Re: 1.99gb window limit

From: "Bryn Hughes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 12:29:28 -0700

AFAIK, that's actually a MacOS problem as opposed to a Netatalk problem.  Depending on what version of MacOS you're running (and therefore what version of AppleShare) Macs will only report the capacity of the drive as 2 gigs.

----------------------------------------------
Bryn Hughes
Macintosh Technical Support
ICS
Vancouver Community College

ph: (604) 443.8702
fax: (604) 443.8353
email: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------

>>> Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]> - 10/3/00 12:14 AM >>>
Just to chime in, but I have the similar problem with only seeing a 1.99gb
window on my server's true size - this is with 1.499 from SourceForge.

Harry

---

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 12:36:59 -0700

>AFAIK, that's actually a MacOS problem as opposed to a Netatalk problem.  
>Depending on what version of MacOS you're running (and therefore what 
>version of AppleShare) Macs will only report the capacity of the drive as 
>2 gigs.

In this case, I'm seeing it on Macs with OS 8.6 and OS 9.

Steve

---

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 12:46:43 -0700

Oh and by the way, I very strongly believe that guest access should NOT 
be enabled by default. I think that excepting various obviously public 
protocols (e.g. DNS, HTTP, FTP) it's never a good idea to set up a 
service so it provides, by default, promiscious and unauthenticated 
logins.

Steve

---

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 13:18:42 -0700

>> I would *strongly* suggest that DHX via PAM is the default...

>You know PAM support doesn't even work (last time I tried it) under
>Solaris.

...I meant to say for Linux only, yeah, that's it. :-)

>If you are going to argue DHX, then I assume all your users use APOP for
>their mail (assuming a POP server) and you have disabled telnet.
>Otherwise, what's the point. :-)  

Bloody APOP-incompliant clients keep me from doing that, unfortunately. 
But all the shells are set to /bin/true; does that count? :-) Telnet, on 
the other hand, has been burnt in effigy, the bones mounted above my 
fireplace.

>Tim... getting around to looking at the Solaris port... really...

Excellent!

Steve