Subject: Re: File Copying Hangs

From: Basil Hussain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 18:55:18 +0000

Hi,

> I can't think of why it won't work but have you tried other methods to copy
> the
> files? For example: Use one of the other Macs to Stuff the files into an
> archive
> (not a Self-Extracting, just an archive). This makes it a data-only file. Then
> use Fetch (FTP) on the 9150 to download it. Use StuffIt Expander to restore
> the
> files to their normal state.
> 
> Or, copy the files to another Mac and set up a temporary Personal File Sharing
> shared folder from that Mac which you can access from the 9150.

Yes, that occurred to me to do it like that. I managed to do it by coping
'through' another Mac (i.e. connect to the Linux server on an iMac, and copy
to the 9150 from the iMac).

However, I'd rather not have to muck around with other Macs just to copy
some files - and I'm curious as to what's going wrong.

Regards,

------------------------------------------------
Basil Hussain ([email-masked])

---

From: Basil Hussain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 20:08:21 +0000

Hi all,

Hmm, well, here's something to further confuse this situation.

I thought it might be something to do with the share being read-only. So, I
set up a share on a different directory with a few hundered files in it. I
tried copying them from the 9150 Mac and encountered a different sort of
greivance.

About half-way through (although not always exactly) the server drops the
connection! At first, I thought this may be a problem to do with what has
been mentioned before on this list about Macs dropping connections - namely
the TCP/IP stack unloading itself in the middle of everything. So, I went
and made sure 'Load only when needed' was turned off and tried again, but
only to have it dump me again half-way through.

So, it gets stranger: I can't begin copying at all from a read-only network
share and I get disconnected when I copy from a different share. And yet
there are no problems with any other Mac.

Could it be the Mac? Reputedly (from the previous user, in another dept.)
this Mac is solid as a rock. I'm beginning to suspect otherwise...

So, Mac or Netatalk to blame? Can anyone shed any light?

Regards,

---

From: Matthew Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 12:23:54 -0800 (PST)

Do a clean install of MacOS on the box, you can always step back to the
old system with system picker.

if it works after that, it's a foobarred OS.