Subject: Updating Pictures from QXP 4.1 from Netatalk Volume

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 00:13:46 +0100

netatalk-1.4.99-20001108mdk.rpm on SuSE 7.0, client Mac OS 9.0.4,
QuarkExpress Passport 4.1r0

Dear Listas,

Occasionally I have trouble updating pictures from within QuarkExpress
from a Netatalk volume, when trying to update I get a "File not found [-43]"
error.

I'm not able to repro at will, this is what I have done:

- collect for output (XPress 3.32) to a local Macintosh volume

- copied the collection to a Netatalk volume (at that time
netatalk-1.5-0.20000918mdk.i586.rpm I believe)

- upgraded the server to netatalk-1.4.99-20001108mdk.rpm,
opened the XPress file from Passport 4.1r0 again

- for whatever reason (time mismatch?) Passport claims the
pictures being modified, so I try to update

- for roughly estimated 30% of the collections, Passport gives
the "File not found [-43]" error, subsequently clicking the "Ok"
button I can get rid of this error message and the picture
disappears from the modified picture list. Note, at this stage
in fact the picture is *not* updated.

- I do a "save as", close the file and open again

- again Passport claims pictures being modified, and *now* I'm able
to update pictures without any problems

- I again do a "save as", close the file, and go back to
the original file. At this time I'm able to update pictures for the
original file successfully, too

Until now, I have seen this wired behavior three times, on different
logins to the server (the server has been shut down between the sessions).

The last time I was able to log the session at the Macintosh, log (1.6
MBytes) available for those interested on request.

The logs at the server don't reveal anything of interest, except for:

> Dec 11 21:41:46 bob afpd[514]: dhx login: tschierle
> Dec 11 21:41:46 bob PAM_pwdb[514]: (netatalk) session opened for
> user tschierle by (uid=0)
> Dec 11 21:41:46 bob afpd[514]: login tschierle (uid 502, gid 100)
> Dec 11 21:41:46 bob afpd[514]: chown -1/0 .AppleDouble/.Parent:
> Operation not permitted

I keep the .Parent file locked at will -- I don't like users changing
the view of a volume.

I understand in regards of networking Quark is kind of buggy or
at least odd -- depending on your point of view -- but I have never had
a similar problem on either a genuine ASIP or NT server.

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers