Subject: Print spooling with netatalk

From: Dave Scheltema <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 03:58:01 -0400

Netatalk admins-
	I have come across a MAC laser writer 360 and have been almost
successfully in the setup.  The printer is on the parallel port and its
known as lp to my linux system.  I have tested printing text files and
such to the printer from the box and it works quite nicely.  In trying
to connected it in with netatalk I receive errors that are mailed to me
and my print job ultimately fails.  Here is my papd.conf 

 Apple Laser test:\
        :pr=lp:op=root:\
        :pd=/var/ppd/Laser Writer Select 360.PPD:

I of course have the ppd file in /var/ppd and it is called Laser Writer
Select 360.PPD so all seems to be fine to me so far.
	When I go to a mac I have to setup the printer known as Apple Laser
test, the mac detects that I need a PS file and it suggests that I use
the Laser Writer Select 360.PPD file.  I am a little doubtful that this
is what should happen, since it is using the file on the macs hard
drive.  Isn't the .ppd file suppose to be fed to the mac?  Continuing
along with the events... I make a quick NotePad document that says "test
test" and I send it to the Apple Laser test printer.  The job seems to
be sent over to the printer, but opun checking lpq no file was added to
the lpd queue.  After a few more seconds I get a mail message that says:

	Your printer job (Note Pad) 
	was not printed because it was not linked to the original file

	I am pretty sure that I am doing something wrong with the setup of
this, but I am not sure where I went astray.  What does this mail
message mean?  It seems to say that the job is not being linked, but how
would I change this?  What does it mean by being linked?  Its not like a
ln -s in linux is it?  Thanks again for the help!
Dave Scheltema

---

From: Moritz Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 22:44:56 +0200 (CEST)

>         :pd=/var/ppd/Laser Writer Select 360.PPD:
According to my (sad) experiences with papd.conf:
Use only one line per option!
And, _DON'T_ use filenames with spaces in it. Linux itself will support
these, but not every daemon or program will so.
Also you should use a pipe instead of a printer definition. It means
instead of relying on the capabilities of papd of printing to the correct
printcap entry, you should pipe the output to the generic printing command
of your local printing system. In most cases it will be
"lpr -P<printcap_entry>" Where printcap_entry would be "lp" in your case.

8<---------------------------------------
Apple Laser test:\
       :pr=|lpr -Plp:\
       :op=root:\
       :pd=/var/ppd/Laser_Writer_Select_360.PPD:
8<---------------------------------------
Then you will have to rename the PPD file:

root@host # mv "/var/ppd/Laser Writer Select 360.PPD" /var/ppd/Laser_... 

unfortunately, my line was to short, that's why...
If there are till any problems, check whether "papd" is running.

root@host # ps aux | grep papd

If papd is running you should be able to see an output like this:

root      2379  0.0  0.6   996   540  ?  S    19:06   0:00 /usr/sbin/papd
root      3605  0.0  0.4   848   336  p0 S    22:21   0:00 grep papd

The first line is important. If there's no papd running, something went
wrong at boot time. you have to check /var/log/syslog and
/var/log/messages for any problems encountered.

I hope this will help you.
BTW, next time tell us about your linux printing system (lpd / lprng / plp
and so on).

> 	was not printed because it was not linked to the original file

My interpreation is: a job was initialized, but there was no file anymore
when lpq tried to spool it to /dev/lp. Problems like this may disappear
when using a pipe. 

> ln -s in linux is it?  Thanks again for the help!
ln -s has nothing to do with your problem. ln -s produces a symbolic link
to a file or a directory. This is like a second name for a file (but not
really ;). 

Greetings,
Moritz

__________________________________________________________
Moritz Kaiser
Studentische Vertretung, Technische Universitaet Muenchen
Europe / Germany

---

From: Dejan Muhamedagic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 00:01:13 +0200

Hello,

On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 03:58:01AM -0400, Dave Scheltema wrote:
> [...]

You should try with

          :pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Plp:

instead of

          :pr=lp:

Dejan

---

From: "thomas.riewe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 13:33:49 +0200 (CEST)

nice summary,
i thought you should 
mention one more detail:
anytime papd starts it will try to nbprgstr the name you 
gave it in the first entry of papd.conf

and i remember it took me a while
to realize to nbpunrgstr BEFORE
the next attempt ...

JOIN US, BUILD YOUR OWN PAPD TODAY
THIS PRINTING TOOL wILL CHANGE YOUR	LIFE

scnr,
hth,
thomas (R)

---

From: "Lancaster, David Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 09:55:05 -0300 (ADT)

System:
RH 6.0 Kernel 2.2.5-15
netatalk1.4b2+asun2.1.3

Problem: Seems like Mac OS 8.5.5 has a problem copying to the box.
Connection is dropped very quickly, but child afpd process continues
running, and copys large amounts of garbage data to the file (killed the
process when it hit 2.1 gigs on a file that was supposed to be 25 megs).
Syslog mentions numberous (hundreds of thousand) error messages:
----------------
May 12 09:28:12 tnt afpd[4098]: ASIP session:548(2) from
123.166.13.123:3745(0)
May 12 09:28:12 tnt afpd[4098]: randnum/rand2num login: xxxxxx
May 12 09:28:12 tnt afpd[4098]: login xxxxxx (uid 5xx, gid 5xx)
May 12 09:30:00 tnt afpd[4098]: dsi_stream_read(-1): Connection reset by
peer
May 12 09:30:00 tnt afpd[4098]: dsi_stream_read(0): Connection reset by
peer
May 12 09:30:31 tnt last message repeated 15339 times
May 12 09:31:32 tnt last message repeated 29928 times
May 12 09:32:32 tnt last message repeated 29863 times
May 12 09:32:50 tnt last message repeated 8618 times
May 12 09:32:50 tnt afpd[4098]: dsi_stream_read(0): Connection reset by
peer
May 12 09:33:08 tnt last message repeated 8932 times
May 12 09:33:08 tnt afpd[2694]: server_child[1] 4098 killed
---------------

OS9 seems to work fine. Not entirely sure if the code is
2.1.3/2.1.3-6/2.1.3-7
Any idea what would fix this? I'm tempted to recompile a version of
2.1.3-7, but I *think* that's what's already running.
 
Somebody mentioned a known bug that spontaneously creates huge files, is
this it? Any fixes/workarounds? pre2.1.4 the only fix? And if so, which
version 2.1.4-37b, 2.1.4-38b_test, 2.1.4-39_test?

David Lancaster                       (506) 454-2167
  690 Gregg Ct.                       Upper Apartment
  Fredericton, NB  Canada             E3B 4H5
  [email-masked]       "Don't anthropomorphize computers, they hate that."

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 07:48:53 -0700

> THIS PRINTING TOOL wILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE

Huh?

Sorry, but what is *THAT* all about????

Harry