Subject: Grep from PC to Mac via LINUX

From: John Grieg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:53:03 +0100

I have a (Harlequin) RIP running on  NT which generates a log file.
This logfile logs "everything" including missing fonts, postscript errors.

I use smbmount to mount the share with the RIP, and I grep for errors
( grep LOGFILE error & grep LOGFILE Courier)
Theseerrors I pipe to mail (and mail them to me).

1) Is there a way I can get dialog box  when  there is an error (Like you
    get from a printer  running out of paper?

2)  Now and then  the LINUX box loses the connection with the NT machine
(WHY) , and I have to remount it
     manually.  (The LOGFILE is in use all the time).   Is there an easier
way to do this?

[email-masked]

---

From: John Grieg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 07:56:04 +0100

Subject: Re: Grep from PC to Mac via LINUX

>>Sure.  If you're already piping the errors to mail, then you should be
>>able to add some more lines to the script you're running.  To send the
>>error to your favorite windows machine, just pipe it to "smbclient -M
>>win_machine".
>>
That will do, but I was actually thinking about "piping" it to the Mac.

[email-masked]