Subject: Unable to compile on Solaris 2.7 ...

From: Anthony Brock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 16:26:36 -0700

I just downloaded the pre-asun2.1.4-39_test.tar.gz file, and encountered 
the following problem when attempting to compile on a Sun Solaris Ultra 
Enterprise 1 running Solaris 2.7 (32-bit):

gcc -DNO_STRUCT_TM_GMTOFF -D__svr4__ -DSOLARIS 
-I../../sys/generic   -D_ISOC9X_SOURCE  -O 
-I../../include  -DAPPLCNAME   -c uam.c -o uam.o
uam.c: In function `uam_register':
uam.c:118: `__builtin_va_alist' undeclared (first use in this function)
uam.c:118: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
uam.c:118: for each function it appears in.)
uam.c: In function `uam_checkuser':
uam.c:203: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
make[4]: *** [uam.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory 
`/export/home/abrock/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/etc/afpd'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory 
`/export/home/abrock/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/etc/afpd'
make[2]: *** [afpd] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/export/home/abrock/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/etc'
make[1]: *** [../../etc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory 
`/export/home/abrock/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/sys/solaris'
make: *** [all] Error 2

This is using gcc version 2.95.2 and the latest GNU make utility.  Any 
suggestions?

Tony
******************************************************************************
* Anthony Brock                                         [email-masked] *
* Director of Network Services                         George Fox University *
******************************************************************************

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 08:32:56 +0200

>uam.c:118: `__builtin_va_alist' undeclared (first use in this function)

I also had problems to compile this in Solaris 2.5.1 (without the compatibility  ucb-stuff installed), I also had this problem. It seems that variable arguments support is somewhat broken (if hardly implemented).

:wq! PoC

---

From: Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 07:46:36 -0600 (MDT)

> uam.c:118: `__builtin_va_alist' undeclared (first use in this function)

This is part of the Solaris FAQ. You have a gcc that is not properly
installed. 

That version of netatalk compiles fine using gcc 2.95.1 for Solaris 32bit
and also compiles fine using Suns Workshop 5.0 cc compiler.  At least if
all you are doing is TCP wrappers. That is about all that I ever install.
I haven't checked all possibilites.

Tim

Tim Carlson                                  Voice:    (505) 984-8800x255
Director of Computing: Santa Fe Institute    Fax:      (505) 982-0565
WWW: http://www.santafe.edu/~tim             Email:   [email-masked]