Subject: Chooser No Show

From: "Gavin M. Roy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:24:29 -0700

I have a server running atalk which does not show up in the Chooser of
any of my G4's.  I can manually enter the IP address, but my designers
are whining because they can't just click on the server.  I have a
bare-bones, empty atalkd.conf file.  Any suggesstions?  I don't see a
way to "name" the machine, so I assume this is automatically the
HOSTNAME of the machine.

Thanks,

Gavin

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:53:47 +0200 (MEST)

> way to "name" the machine, so I assume this is automatically the

Is atalkd actually running?
What do you see when you're starting atalk (the server) in the syslog?

:wq! PoC

---

From: Rich Lafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 19:47:46 -0400

> way to "name" the machine, so I assume this is automatically the

Your machine is probably running appleshare over IP but not
appletalk. Make sure your appletalk kernel module is loaded (or
whatever appropriate -- you don't mention all of those neat things
like what OS you're using!), and that atalkd is actually running if
necessary.

As for naming the machine, you can tell atalkd and/or afpd what your
machine name is. I've modified the local configuration enough that I
don't recall where in the default config for atalkd it goes, but I'm
sure it's documented, since I found it :-) and the afpd name is in
afpd.conf.

  -Rich

-- 
------------------------------ Rich Lafferty ---------------------------
 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services
   Concordia University, Montreal, QC                 (514) 848-7625
------------------------- [email-masked] ----------------------

---

From: Xavier DEBACKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:08:28 +0200

> way to "name" the machine, so I assume this is automatically the

I have a 100Mbps (via-rhine) ethernet card, and the same pb
I replaced it with a 10Mbps and it works now fine. I didn't change
anything else.

need to understand
Xavier

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 00:58:56 -0700

on 4/25/00 8:08 AM, Xavier DEBACKER at [email-masked] wrote:

>> are whining because they can't just click on the server.

> I replaced it with a 10Mbps and it works now fine. I didn't change

What verson of what OS are you running?

I know that RedHat, in their usual stupidity, no longer installs and
activates the atalk module on 6.2. You would need to add a descriptive line
in conf.modules to activate atalk properly. (alias net-pf-5 appletalk)

Otherwise, provide more information.

/RANT ON/

I really wish that RedHat *WOULD* make the extra effort (as well as other
distros, like Mandrake) to provide a *history* file with each distribution
that lists not just what was installed (yes, I know about the temp.log) but
also what has changed from the prior version to the next version (like the
switch from diald to wvdial for ppp dialouts).

A lot of time is being WASTED by people having to figure out something that
could be placed in a simple file called HISTORY-README in the root of every
distro. Too much to ask? From RedHat, apparently...

/RANT OFF/

Harry