Subject: If you want to post...

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 20:53:22 +0200

...then please do us a favour:

Include the system you are using.
Include the netatalk-version you are using.
Include a snapshot of your syslog file where the error occurs (AppleTalk startup, connecting, etc).

Thank you. It would make life easier for us all.

:wq! PoC

---

From: David Blache <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 13:44:01 -0500

Redhat 6.2
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3

make & make install seemed to have gone well...

Problem:

# /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start
# starting appletalk daemons: socket: Invalid argument
socket: Invalid argument
atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.
 atalkd nbprgstr papd afpd.

/var/log/messages says:

May  6 13:42:07 microcosm papd[8885]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
May  6 13:42:07 microcosm modprobe: Note: /etc/conf.modules is more recent
than /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/modules.dep
May  6 13:42:07 microcosm afpd[8889]: main: atp_open: Invalid argument
May  6 13:42:07 microcosm afpd[8889]: ASIP started on 127.0.0.1:548(1)
(1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
May  6 13:42:07 microcosm modprobe: Note: /etc/conf.modules is more recent
than /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/modules.dep
May  6 13:42:07 microcosm afpd[8889]: main: atp_open: Invalid argument
May  6 13:42:07 microcosm afpd[8889]: main: dsi_init: Address already in use

I'm (as usual) clueless!  :(  Help?

---

From: Moritz Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 00:05:55 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

the first thing to do is to check, whether your NIC is working. Try ping,
or analyze your /var/log/messages regarding your NIC.
On my machine this looks like this:
8<-------------------*snip*
May  5 23:48:47 x kernel: 3c515.c:v0.99 4/7/98 [email-masked]
May  5 23:48:47 x kernel: 3c515 Resource configuration register 0x008f,
DCR0483.
May  5 23:48:47 x kernel: eth0: 3c515 at 0x280, 00:10:4b:9c:7e:ef, DMA3,
IRQ 15
May  5 23:48:47 x kernel:   64k word-wide RAM 1:1 Rx:Tx split,
autoselect/10baseT interface.
May  5 23:48:47 x kernel: 1 3c515 cards found.
8<-------------------*snip*

Then ensure your kernel has appletalk support enabled. Otherwise build a
new kernel including appletalk support.

> I'm (as usual) clueless!  :(  Help?
No matter, you are not alone.

Greetings,
Moritz

__________________________________________________________
Moritz Kaiser
Studentische Vertretung, Technische Universitaet Muenchen
Europe / Germany

---

From: David Blache <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 02:05:51 -0500

> 8<-------------------*snip*

I'm not using NIC (mainly because I don't know enough about it, or how to
configure it).   If anyone would like to give a brief explanation of what it
is, and whether or not I should be running it, I'd be appreciative.

> new kernel including appletalk support.

It wasn't enabled.  I've enabled it.

But when I reboot the machine atalk starts up, but afpd and company do NOT
start up.  Can someone give me a clue as to why not?  The atalk.init script
is in /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk.init.  Seems like that should be enough to get
afpd and friends going.  But I always have to run the script manually to get
them going after a restart.  :/

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 13:05:13 +0200

>Redhat 6.2

As you've seen before many times in this list, you'll have to make sure, you have the entry

alias net-pf-5            appletalk

in your module config file in /etc for loading the appletalk DDP support module automatically.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Moritz Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 16:11:28 +0200 (CEST)

> is, and whether or not I should be running it, I'd be appreciative.
NIC=Network Interface Card. Your (probably) Ethernet Adapter. Any module
oder kernel driver has to be run for you to be able to connect to any LAN.
If your kernel doesn't support any NIC's you have to build a new one.
*grin*
In "make menuconfig" you'll find NIC-support at "Network device support".
But in most cases your kernel already is supporting certain standard
NICs. But check this out anyway. 

> them going after a restart.  :/
Are the netatalk daemons running after beeing started manually? Watch for
it by typing "ps aux | grep afpd" and "ps aux | grep papd" and
"ps aux | grep atalkd".
If not, there might be a general problem with networking, as mentioned
above.

Greetings,
Moritz

---

From: Moritz Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 16:16:37 +0200 (CEST)

> in your module config file in /etc for loading the appletalk DDP support module automatically.
Only if you are using a modular kernel AND the appletalk has been compiled
as a module. Many people are still using a static linked kernel, as I'm
one of those jerks.

Greetings,
Moritz

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 20:13:41 +0200

>as a module. Many people are still using a static linked kernel, as I'm

It won't hurt anyway to have this:-)

:wq! PoC

---

From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 15:53:47 -0400 (EDT)

From: David Blache <[email-masked]>
   Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 02:05:51 -0500

   . . .

Here's my $0.02 for due diligence:  Have you made the appropriate links
from the /etc/rc.d/rc*.d/ directories?

					-- Bob Rogers

---

From: David Blache <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 15:40:41 -0500

> NICs. But check this out anyway.

The NIC is working fine.  I was under the impression NIC was some sort of
different way of networking.  (Oops.)
 
> If not, there might be a general problem with networking, as mentioned

Yes, they run fine but only if I launch the atalk.init script manually after
restarting.  Immediately after a restart, the only thing that appears to be
running is atalkd.  The others are not running for some reason.

---

From: David Blache <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 15:41:15 -0500

> in your module config file in /etc for loading the appletalk DDP support

Got it...thanks PoC.

---

From: "David Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 17:15:09 -0300

I had the exact same problem on a Redhat 6.0 machine using the downloaded
1.4.2+asun2.1.3-6
atalk would start fine, but it would immediately quit the script (ie. echo
"blech" >> /var/tmp/messages) wouldn't get executed, even if I put it just
below the atalkd start line.  The script runs, it just bails out after that
atalkd startup.

Tried futsing around with getting the script to run, but no luck, no matter
what I tried.

I ended up downloading an RPM, and using the binaries I compiled to
overwrite the RPM binaries (which I couldn't get to work for rand2num).  The
RPM script seemed to work fine, everything started everything up fine.
Noticed that the Redhat RPM netatalk script is significantly more
complicated too...

D.

---

From: David Blache <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 15:43:33 -0500

> from the /etc/rc.d/rc*.d/ directories?

I wasn't aware that I was supposed to have anything anywhere but in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/  Why would I make links to the other directories?

Please forgive my ignorance.  I've only been with Linux for a few months.

---

From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 16:48:03 -0400 (EDT)

From: David Blache <[email-masked]>
   Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 15:43:33 -0500

Not to; from those directories.  There is one directory for each run
level; each such directory has "K??service" symbolics links to
../init.d/service to bring "service" down, and "S??service" links to
start "service" up.  The numbers are used to control the order in which
services are brought up or down, and do not have to be unique.

   Here's what my atalk setup looks like.  I normally operate at run
level 3.  atalkd is started at levels 3 through 5; I think I picked
these to correspond to NFS.

    rgr> find /etc/rc.d -name '*atalk' -ls
    278714    2 -rwxr--r--   1 root     root         1878 Aug  3  1999 /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk
    280970    1 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 Jan 25 19:53 /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K35atalk -> ../init.d/atalk
    305300    1 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 Jan 25 19:53 /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K35atalk -> ../init.d/atalk
    311435    1 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 Jan 25 19:53 /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/K35atalk -> ../init.d/atalk
    315625    1 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 Jan 25 19:53 /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S91atalk -> ../init.d/atalk
    323895    1 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 Jan 25 19:53 /etc/rc.d/rc4.d/S91atalk -> ../init.d/atalk
    327978    1 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 Jan 25 19:53 /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S91atalk -> ../init.d/atalk
    331945    1 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 Jan 25 19:53 /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K35atalk -> ../init.d/atalk
    rgr> 

To create these, I did something like

	# cd /etc/rc.d
	# for dir in rc3.d rc4.d rc5.d; do
	> ln -s ../init.d/atalk $dir/S91atalk
	> done
	# 

and similarly for the "K35atalk" links.  I'm running Red Hat 6.0, so
this exact recipe will (probably) work to your machine.  "man init" and
the SAG (System Administrators' Guide) can tell you more about the
startup sequence.

No problem; I've been there myself (quite recently, too).

					-- Bob Rogers