Subject: Re: Linux server doesn`t appear in the chooser

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 22:59:58 +0100

Hi Dave,

thanks for this hint.
> 2.) Does anybody know if there is a backup software available for Linux ?
>>We use BRU which can be obtained at "http://www.bru.com/".
>>We have tried a lot of different products, but only BRU can backup and
>>restore path names wich are longer than 254 characters. This is the
>>major problem when backing up files and folders from a Linux server
>>using netatalk. For example: one of our clients has a very deep folder
>>structure like, 
> You may try amanda (www.amanda.org). We use it on a Solaris system, but it should work as > well with whatever you build it on.
I search the internet for some more information abaout AMANDA and found
something very interesting. I will try it because it seems to be simple
to configure and run it as cron job, which I preferre. But someone is
telling on his site, that AMANDA cannot split a full backup over
multiple tapes, on which I am not sure if it's true? We use a Sony AIT
with 25GB tape drivew (native size) but our raid array is still 70GB
big. 
Can you please tell me if there is any solution you know in this case? 
BRU will ask for another tape if one is full and than go ahead with the
backup
job.

Thank you,

Uwe