Subject: Gigabit advice please

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:13:54 +0000

Dear all,

I would like to build a gigabit netatalk server for our department running 
either Redhat 6.2 or 7. Could I ask if Netatalk runs well over gigabit and 
can I assume a 3com 3c985-sx is a good card to buy for the job?

Ian

---

From: bryan stalcup <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 02:24:30 -0400

> can I assume a 3com 3c985-sx is a good card to buy for the job?

i have a dual 550 PIII/1Gig Ram/320G U160 RAID5/Gigabit Ethernet (3com)
server running netatalk on redhat linux 6.1. works great. 10+ M/bytes per
second transfers to G4 workstations over a switched Gigabit/100 Megabit
network.

if you haven't used netatalk before, i recommend you migrate slowly. get the
new server up and kick the tires with a few files/users. make sure you run
2.1.4-37b. read the list archives, especially if you will be using
quarkxpress. i have had a living hell getting quark working stably with
netatalk on some servers/networks. look for the articles on -DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS
and using "-server_quantum 2048" in the afpd.conf file.

good luck!

bryan

--
bryan stalcup
[email-masked]
icq 9191662

---

From: Walt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:26:41 -0400

Hrrm... Now you have me curious! I'm running
RH 6.0 with a 2.2.16-3 kernel on a PII 300
over a100 mbit switch and am getting 8-9 MB/sec
transfers. Is just over 1-2 MB/sec all I can expect to
gain by going to gigabit?

Thanks,
Walt

-~

Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good; and
when it is bad, it is better than nothing.
			          -- Dick Brandon

---

From: bryan stalcup <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:27:43 -0400

> gain by going to gigabit?

the clients are all running at 100BT, so roughly ten could (theoretically) get
simultaneous full speed access to the server. i'm using the netgear standalone
switch with 2 Gigabit ports and 16(?) 100Mbit ports.

--
bryan stalcup
[email-masked]
icq 9191662
704.599.2362 home
704.534.2664 cell