Subject: Version numbers past, present, and future.

From: "Tom Watson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 23:06:35 -0800

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 20:59:50 -0400 (EDT), [email-masked] wrote:
<<<deletia>>>
> 
> We're also ready to write up some killer press releases (it's one of the
> things we like doing), when your work is ready for a more public
> consumption, specifically ready for a renumbering to 1.5 (and I think it
> ought to be 'netatalk 1.5', effectively severing it from the umich
> umbilical). I'd suggest sending such releases regularly to sites like
> linuxtoday.com, linux weekly news, macintouch/macnn/macweek.
> 
<<<deletia>>>
> Harry

May I recommend that we call it "Netatalk 2.0"  It would indicate a 
"New Beginning".  While version 1.5 might sound logical, it still
is a 1.x version.  Since there have been so many "additions" (asun's
among others), We might as well go "whole hog".

Regardless, the press release idea would be the best yet.  Get it known
that an AppleTalk server can exist on Linux/Unix boxen.
-- 
Tom Watson         Generic short signature
[email-masked]     (I'm at home now)

---

From: "jeff b" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 13:54:31 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 Tom Watson  wrote:
> > We're also ready to write up some killer press releases (it's one of
> > the things we like doing), when your work is ready for a more public
> > consumption, specifically ready for a renumbering to 1.5 (and I think
> > it ought to be 'netatalk 1.5', effectively severing it from the umich

Hm. Never thought of it that way. Perhaps use 1.5 as an interim release
until we get the tree patched up -- ?
 
> that an AppleTalk server can exist on Linux/Unix boxen.

Absolutely agreed.
     
*************************
jeff b
system administrator
university communications
university of connecticut
[email-masked]

---

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 14:56:20 -0700

>until we get the tree patched up -- ?

That's my vote. Let's save 2.0 for when we really mean it, when we've 
moved a bunch of these compile-time switches to run-time, and we've got a 
GUI to administer it.

Steve