Subject: Re: Problem with GPS - Great Plains Accounting

From: Fred Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:47:57 -0400

Chip Mefford wrote:
> 
> Try changing the privs to 777
> 

Good suggestion, but I'm still getting the same error...

I've tried copying the files to NT Server 4.0 running Mac File Services
and it works fine there, so I think there must be something about the
Netatalk Appletalk stack that is confusing the Great Plains system...

Fred

> On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Fred Jensen wrote:
> 
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm not completely sure my problem is netatalk-related, it could be an
> > issue with the Great Plains Software (GPS) but I'm checking here to see
> > if anyone has run into it before, or even if anyone else is successfully
> > running GPS on netatalk.
> >
> > Our accounting department uses Great Plains Accounting, v7.25 on
> > Macintosh. The client/server version of GPS uses a client-side
> > application, with the data files residing on the server. There is no
> > server-side application. In the past, I've successfully upgraded their
> > server (from Mac to Mac) merely by copying all the data files to the new
> > server, with no problems.
> >
> > I recently tried to move them to a Windows box running RedHat 6.1 with
> > netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-8.i386.rpm installed. All the files were copied
> > from the old server to the new one through the Appletalk share.
> > Everything works fine (much faster!) except for 'master posts' to the
> > 'AR' module. The posting fails with a GPS error message saying 'Access
> > denied - you must post in a multi-user environment'. In every other way
> > GPS is running multi-user, and the posts work fine in the other modules.
> >
> > I've tried changing the Appleshare settings to every combination I can
> > think of, from the default settings to specific user and group settings
> > for Applevolumes.default and afpd.conf. I've changed all the privileges
> > to 775. I've checked every data file for possible corruption and redone
> > the file transfer several times - I can't find anything that may be
> > causing this.
> >
> > Is anyone out there running Great Plains Accounting successfully? If so,
> > can you give me any hints?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Fred
> >