Subject: Freeze while writing...

From: "A.C.I.,C.B." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 20:18:10 +0200

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if I'm the only one experiencing a problem with my
server freezing completely when writing large files.

The disk is a 20GB ide model. formatted as one large partition.
I am using the Debian 2.0 distribution with a 2.0.36 kernel and
1.4.2asun netatalk.
The network is 100Mb.

I know the kernel is old, but when using Redhat 6 the system the freezes
occur almost instantly without fail. Is it something to do with the size
of the partition I'm using?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason.

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 21:34:18 +0200

>of the partition I'm using?

Definitively no. I'm using netatalk on a 24 Gig stripe here.
If both Debian and RedHat freeze on the same disk/hardware, I would suspict you have some kind of hardware related problem.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Moritz Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 22:10:14 +0200 (CEST)

> I am using the Debian 2.0 distribution with a 2.0.36 kernel and
In any case you should use a kernel newer than 2.0.x, i.e. 2.2.10 or even
newest (2.2.15).
Anyway the kernel has almost nothing to do with the distribution you are
using. I always suggest downloading newest _STABLE_ sources from
ftp.kernel.org/pub and compiling it on the machine you want to use it for.
This makes it possible for you to select the modules and drivers you need
for your machine.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

__________________________________________________________
Moritz Kaiser
Studentische Vertretung, Technische Universitaet Muenchen
Europe / Germany