Subject: shell

From: "John Arends" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 14:13:51 -0500

Anyone know of a way to allow people to access their appleshare accounts, 
but not be able to telnet into the server and use a shell?

I still want certain people to get in however.

-----
John Arends
[email-masked]

Windows95/98/NT (noun): 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16 bit
patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit
microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of
competition

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 07:40:52 +1200

In your /etc/passwd file, set the users shell to /bin/false

mrad01

>microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of

========================================================

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer."
		Marcus Radich 1999

========================================================

---

From: "Chris G. Sellers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 16:29:24 -0400 (EDT)

chsh.  If your using Linux or anything but Solaris.  If they do not have
a valid shell (usually in /etc/shells) or if you set their shell to be
/dev/null then they should not be able to login.

Visit linuxdoc.org and search for security.  They will give you some
how-to's to make your system secure, and one of them should be shell
access.

> microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of

<(/|\-/|\-/|\-/|\-/|\/-\|/-\|/-\|/|\-/|\-/|/-\|/|\-/|\-/|\/-\|/-\|/-\)>

   Sellers , Chris G.		
   Scientific Programmer Analyst 	
    Information & Instructional Technology 
    Oakland University - Rochester, Michigan 48309-4401	
    Phone: (248) 370.2016    FAX: (248) 370.4251

---

From: Brian Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 20:26:28 -0600

> how-to's to make your system secure, and one of them should be shell

Just a reminder, if you do this, the users will not be able to ftp to the
machine (using their account) either.  This may or may not matter to you,
but, it is a side effect of removing the shell.

--Brian

---

From: Michael Bartosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 22:00:43 -0500 (CDT)

err could you not add /bin/false to /etc/shells ??