Subject: Re: Re: Major Netatalk confussion happening!

From: "jeff b" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 14:51:45 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 04 Aug 2000 Luke McNeilage  wrote:
--SNIP--
> With regards to your fervor for the umich list: I have had numerous
> problems with this list, I get little response to my questions and
> propositions, and it is populated mostly by well meaning, but lazy
> newbies (there is more to life than RPM). More to the point, I have only
> just been able to re-subscribe, because it had just plain disappeared for
> about two months.

After the last discussion on this one, I'm not touching the RPM issue with
a 10 foot pole. I agree that sometimes people would benefit from reading
past posts (the redhat appletalk module not loading is brought up at least
once a week), but branding everyone who is having trouble as "lazy newbies"
isn't particularly helpful. The netatalk-admins list is meant to help
people

> With regards to sourceforge: there is nothing happening, and it is
> pathetic that the site does not support IE on the Macintosh, requires
> 5.01/128bit on WIN. As much as I hate Microsoft, Netscape really sucks.
> No forum messages, not patches, no bugs, no tech manager, NO
> DOCUMENTATION. What exactly are we trying to achieve here?

This I resent. As the person who set up the sourceforge project for
netatalk, I disagree that "nothing" is happening, and I think that your
statements are inflammatory and counterproductive. If you don't like the
service and want to have nothing to do with it, please don't. If there are
no patches, bugs or documentation listed there, it is because the project
has been active for less than a week. Who is going to do the documentation?
Instead of whining about it, do something. And as for the question of what
we are trying to accomplish here, I think we're trying to accomplish a
little netatalk development, since it has been more or less stalled for
quite a while now.

> The recent discovery (by some of you) of Webmin is a good case in point.
> The first thing I do to any installation is remove linuxconf, and install
> Webmin, but I put out a request 6 months ago for any input into a webmin
> module, and got nothing back. If you (collectively) manage to write one,
> where are going to post it; webmin, umich, thehampton, sourceforge, or
> cobalt?

I would have said sourceforge, since it's where the "living" source tree is
at the moment. If someone *does* make a webmin module for netatalk, it will
probably get posted or live at the webmin site, but does it *really* matter
where it ends up?

> If you are going to look into this, are you going to look at the 1.3,
> 1.4b, asun2.1......., asun2.1.4p39b subsection 47 paragraph 9 .... etc,
> (you get my point). The difference in the configuration files for asun's
> new work is considerable, and while I admire where he is going, the
> module needs to be retro-fitable to the installed base.
> 
> I would be willing to entertain giving webspace, support, list server,
> and even development grants to anybody who wishes to participate in
> establishing a real development site.

This is quite rude. The site at sourceforge, no matter how much you don't
like it, is working and has developers committing code. I fail to see why
no one said anything about hosting this project a month ago.
     
*************************
jeff b
system administrator
university communications
university of connecticut
[email-masked]

---

From: BWS - Offwhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 10:57:47 -0500 (CDT)

well said.

I wish i could code, but I write software with perl mostly.  I would also
like to write documentation, but i am pretty lost on many topics.  since
the port installs in a mostly working form i simply go with it.
(FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE)

Perhaps we need project leaders for each part of the project: file
server, print server, documentation, etc...

Something like...

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/staff-who.html

Perhaps I could write up a module for webmin since it is done in perl
anyway.  Before I can do that I would need better specs on Netatalk.

We need to get a little more organized and then we will start making some
measurable progress.

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com