Subject: Pointers for compiling netatalk+asun on Solaris 8

From: hawks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 20:10:24 -0400 (EDT)

Q.)  How do I get netatalk+asun to compile under solaris 8?

A.) Note, this has only been done with gcc 2.95.2, your milage may vary
with SUNWpro cc.  Sun decided to put some obsolete defines in
/usr/include/netinet/in.h, one of which conflicts with a struct member in
the kernel driver.  The quick and dirty way to get around this is to
comment out the following at line 235 of /usr/include/netinet/in.h

#define s_net   _S_un._S_un_b.s_b1      /* OBSOLETE: network */

comment out or remove the offender.  Related Note, DES key exchange and
PAM support are incompatible with Solaris 8.  Comment both out of the main
Makefile. DES support will cause the make to fail, PAM support will
compile file, but causes afpd to segfault when users try to log in.

Hope this is helpful.

Alan Palmer
[email-masked]

---

From: Glen Shere <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:08:40 -0400 (EDT)

> Hope this is helpful.

Thanks Alan.  One further question, though: were you able to build a
64-bit kernel module using gcc-2.95.2, or does this still require the Sun
compiler? 

Thanks in advance,

Glen Shere
Institutional Technology
Ringling School of Art and Design

---

From: hawks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 10:12:16 -0400 (EDT)

You'll probablly need the sun compiler for buildign a 64bit version.  I
dont think GCC supports the creation of 64bit objects/binaries yet (check
the gcc page though, I could be wrong).

Hawks