Subject: PostScript errors w/papd

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:35:42 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to make a couple of printers available to some macs using
papd. Our infrastructure is as follows: All the printers have ethernet,
one has native appletalk, and their queues all get managed by a central
server that has Samba, LPD and papd running on it. This works up to a
certain point: The printers are selectable on the mac  (they all reside
in the Ethertalk domain), and the PPDs get installed automatically.

However, trying to print on one of the things results in a PostScript
error on the mac. These are regular PostScript printers (five HPs and
one Apple), no ghostscript involved. This is very strange, since even
the Apple printer generates this error when used over papd (it works
fine when talked to directly over appletalk).

Has anybody experienced this problem before and knows what I'm doing
wrong?

My system is as follows: Linux, Kernel 2.2.15, glibc 2.1, ext2 root FS,
netatalk 1.4b2. I append my /etc/printcap and /etc/atalk/papd.conf.

Thanks in advance,
		--Björn

[/etc/printcap]
lw1|LJ6MP_313:\
        :lp=:raw:rm=i61lw1:\
	:mx#0:sh:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/i61lw1:

lw2|LJ2100TN_Sekr:\
        :lp=:raw:rm=129.13.17.2:\
	:mx#0:sh:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/i61lw2:

lw3|LJ8100DN_313:\
	:lp=:raw:rm=129.13.17.3:\
	:mx#0:sh:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/i61lw3:

lw4|CLJ4500N_315:\
	:lp=:raw:rm=129.13.17.4:\
	:mx#0:sh:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/i61lw4:

lw5|LJ4000N_312:\
	:lp=:raw:rm=129.13.17.5:\
	:mx#0:sh:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/i61lw5:

appletalk1|LWPro_311:\
	:lp=/var/spool/lpd/appletalk1/null:mx#0:sh:\
	:if=/org/share/opt/linux/netatalk/bin/pap -p "FBI-Sekretariat Prof.
Dillmann:LaserWriter@Rembold/Dillmann":\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/appletalk1:

[/etc/atalk/papd.conf]
# Note: Incomplete -- work in progress!
IAIM LaserJet 2100TN Sekretariat:\
	:pr=LJ2100TN_Sekr:\
	:pd=/org/share/opt/linux/netatalk/etc/PPD/HP_LaserJet_2100_Series.ppd:
IAIM Color LaserJet 4500N Raum 315.2:\
	:pr=CLJ4500N_315:\
	:pd=/org/share/opt/linux/netatalk/etc/PPD/HP_Color_LaserJet_4500.ppd: