Subject: can't print "not linked to original file"

From: Doug Mandell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 23:29:45 -0800

I'm having a problem printing from the Mac to the RedHat 6.0 Linux box...I 
can see the printer in the chooser, and it spools, but then the job 
dies.  I get this error, "Your printer job (xyz.doc) was not printed 
because it was not linked to the original file."

I read this could be caused by permissions problems, so I changed my 
papd.conf file to read:
  "lj4:pr|/usr/bin/lpr -Plp2:op=dmandell:pd=/etc/atalk/aplwntr1.ppd:"

Still doesn't work.  An nbplkup shows the printer.  I do a papstatus on it 
and it says "lp is ready and printing".  The printer does work, I can print 
using samba (we've only got one Mac, the rest are pcs).

The most frustrating part of this is that this used to work before we got 
dsl (all computers on the lan used to share a dialup connection...)...I 
assume somehow adding the second lan card to the linux box screwed this up, 
appletalk appears to work fine except for the printing.  I've done some 
pretty extensive research and been unable to fix this, anyone got a solution?

Doug

---

From: "thomas.riewe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:02:53 +0100 (CET)

> using samba (we've only got one Mac, the rest are pcs).

well this sounds to me like a problem of the application you're using to
print, i remember this error-message coming from applix-office

in my case applix used a printing-command with parameters for lprng and my
lpd-setup was old lpr

may be that's your direction to go ?

hth,
thomas (R)

---

From: Quant-X UNIX and Linux Support <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 11:17:41 +0100

Hello,

> because it was not linked to the original file."

This is the problem of papd creating the print job itself in the spool
directory.

>   "lj4:pr|/usr/bin/lpr -Plp2:op=dmandell:pd=/etc/atalk/aplwntr1.ppd:"
   "lj4:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Plp2:op=dmandell:pd=/etc/atalk/aplwntr1.ppd:"

Cheers.

Dejan

-- 

Dejan Muhamedagic   mailto:[email-masked]
UNIX and Linux Support   mailto:[email-masked]

Quant-X Service & Consulting Ges.m.b.H.  http://www.quant-x.com
Phn: +43 4212 90555-0     Fax: 90555-20    Free: +800 90555 000

---

From: Doug Mandell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:33:51 -0800

Unfortunately just a type when I copied the line...it's actually the way 
you typed it.  Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Doug