Subject: Re: GUI Admin

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 21:59:41 -0700

Scott,

Thanks for volunteering! I'd also prefer to see a Netatalk management GUI 
run on Webmin (www.webmin.com). It's a fantastic framework that's well 
supported, actively developed, and cross-Unix compatible.

I've cc'ed Baden Hughes on this message, because according to the Webmin 
site, he's started work on a Netatalk module for it.

Baden, if you haven't already joined the Netatalk-Admins list, please do 
so. We've established a home on SourceForge 
(sourceforge.net/projects/netatalk) and are working towards a Netatalk 
1.5 release. (Send a message with "subscribe" in the head and body [can't 
remember which, so do both] to "[email-masked]".)

Steve Freitas

Original Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------
Hi, I'd like to write a web GUI front-end for administering netatalk,
like SWAT.  I've never worked on this kinda thing before, but I've been
looking through the guts of a basic http server and think I can probably
do this.

So, if anyone has any suggestions, tips, ideas about what would be
helpful, toss 'em out.  I can't make any guarantees that I will actually
ever get this done, but I'd really like to give it a go.

Very excited about revitilization of netatalk!!
Scott

---

From: Ron Chmara <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 22:52:10 -0700

> supported, actively developed, and cross-Unix compatible.

Amusingly enough, my first thought was to take perl's miniserv.pl (a free,
mini, web server) and bolt netatalk configuration GUI editing onto it....
Coincidentally, webmin also runs on miniserv.pl, or apache (depending
on how it's set up). :-)

> site, he's started work on a Netatalk module for it.

Well, for one, don't be scared of it. :-) The basics that are needed
are really a few primitive file editing tools, so you can just gui-admin
the conf files remotely. Once you have those text pieces done, you'll see
how many of the editing changes can be automated, or broken into
smaller screens... I guess my point is this:
Just do some little pieces, and then toss it around for others to
play with. Change some small pieces in response. Eventually, without
spending too much time on a "massive" undertaking, you'll have a lot
of really nice, copact components.. and don't be afraid to just grab
other code and use it. Most of the basic pieces have already been written
(editing a file, using a GUI button to invoke a different mode, etc.),
so use 'em when you can!

Go. Scott and Baden, GO!

-Bop

--
Brought to you from iBop the iMac, a MacOS, Win95, Win98, LinuxPPC machine,
which is currently in MacOS land.  Your bopping may vary.