Subject: pap and papstatus fail with "connection timed out"

From: abel deuring <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 17:34:37 +0200

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with the following setup:

- Linux box, kernel 2.0.31; netatalk 2.1.3; gigabit ethernet adapter

- Agfa RIP Accuset 1000

When I try to send data to the RIP via pap, I get the error message
"Connection timed out"; papstatus fails with "atp_rresp: connection
timed out".

Other printers can be accessed without any problem from the Linux box;
as can the RIP, if a 100 MBit ethernet adapter is being used.

Any ideas what's going wrong?

Abel

---

From: "thomas.riewe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 18:21:39 +0200 (CEST)

> - Linux box, kernel 2.0.31; netatalk 2.1.3; gigabit ethernet adapter
btw, how did u manage the gig-eth with a vanilla 2.0.* ?
> "Connection timed out"; papstatus fails with "atp_rresp: connection
the appletalk/ddp response request (or something sim.) timed out which
means that the rip didn't answer to a ddp-request in which it was
nbplkup-ed (name binding protocol looked up)
> as can the RIP, if a 100 MBit ethernet adapter is being used.
does that mean that it shows up in the choosier or do they type an ip ?
or do they use a specific util. like printer symbol or someth. from agfa ?

anyway, does ddp work over your gig-eth ?
does the RIP use it and nbp ?
what does your papd look like ?

hth,
thomas (R)

---

From: abel deuring <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 18:21:22 +0200

> btw, how did u manage the gig-eth with a vanilla 2.0.* ?

A Linux driver (for 2.0 and and 2.2 kernels) was delivered with the
adapter.

> nbplkup-ed (name binding protocol looked up)

You're probably right. The strange thing is that there is sometimes also
an error message in /var/log/messages from the driver for gigabit
adapter, that the transmit queue is full. This message occurs only, if
pap or papstatus try to connect to the RIP.

> or do they use a specific util. like printer symbol or someth. from agfa ?

The printer and the RIP can be accessed directly from the Macs, via the
the usual LaserWriter driver.

> what does your papd look like ?

DDP over the gigabit-adapter works fine in all other cases: no problems
with afpd (both TCP and DDP is being used), print spooling on the Linux
box with papd works fine, and a Laserwriter 8500 accepts data sent from
pap on the Linux box.

nbplkup shows all machines on the network that speak appletalk,
including the RIP.

Abel