Subject: test tarball available for omnis/fixed directory ids

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 23:10:59 -0800

hi all,

i just thought i should let everyone know that i've figured out why
omnis database doesn't like afpd. it turns out that omnis tries to
unlock non-existent locks. my locking code didn't handle that case. i
also went ahead and re-wrote the code a bit so that there's less
pointer twiddling, but i think it ends up being a wash in terms of
performance. 

anyways, i've put a tarball for people to test at
<ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing/pre-asun2.1.4-38_test.tar.gz>

it has the _test suffix because i currently have the codepage support
disabled. i'm in the midst of re-writing it to handle double-byte
codepages.

things i would like from testers:
       1) does it compile under redhat 6.1 without complaints about
          sendfile and libwrap? 

       2) does it preserve aliases correctly? i'm currently using a
          24-bit hashed file/directory id field + 1 bit file/directory
          identifier + 7 (4 major/3 minor also hashed) bits for the
          device.

       3) as a side-effect of what i did for #2, does sherlock run
          more quickly?  

       4) does locking appear to work correctly? use your favorite
          database program to test this.

-a
[email-masked]

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 00:54:46 -0800

it doesn´t compile for me. I´m using an older SuSe-Distribution.

   file.o In function `getfilparams´:
   file.o(.text+0x443): undefinded referenc to ´major´

oops. could people stick an #include <sys/sysmacros.h> in
etc/afpd/directory.h? i'll update the code to reflect that change.

-a

---

From: Fabrizio Catalano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 00:19:55 +0100

>       1) does it compile under redhat 6.1 without complaints about

For me it compiled well.
Before  (pre-asun 2.1.4-37b ) I had to turn off 
-DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX in sys/linux/Makefile
My system: RedHat 6.1 - Linux kernel 2.2.12-20 smp

I can answer to other points only tomorrow, I'm now at home.

Later

Fabrizio

---

From: Fabrizio Catalano <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 20:53:00 +0100

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 asun wrote:

...

For me it compiled well.

>           identifier + 7 (4 major/3 minor also hashed) bits for the

This seems to be Ok for my need.

>        3) as a side-effect of what i did for #2, does sherlock run

I do not know. Normal speed for LAN search...

>           database program to test this.

I had problems with Quark 4.x save file (posted here before).

Now saving a file to a netatalk volume I get a "File is locked [-54]" 
error; with  pre-asun 2.1.4-37b the error was "File is already open 
for write [-49]" ... still unable to save.

Fabrizio