Subject: papd problem

From: Bill Holyoak <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:44:09 -0600 (MDT)

I have come up empty when searching for info on my problem, so if this is 
a repeated question on the list, I'm sorry.  I found some questions that 
were the same one I'm about to ask, but no answers.  Somebody PLEASE 
HELP ME!!!

Here is my configuration.  

An Apple LaserWriter Select 310 which is running on my Linux server.  I 
can print to it with my Windows and Linux workstations through Samba so 
I know it's all set up correctly.

I have netatalk installed and it works great for mounting my linux file 
shares via Appletalk.  But I can't, for the life of me, get papd working 
correctly.  I've gotten it to the point where I can select the printer share with 
LaserWriter 8 in the chooser, but when I send a print job to it it just sits in 
the queue with the message: "Status: print spooler processing job"

Also, when I type:

# papstatus -p printername

it tells me the same thing.

When I configure the papd.conf file with:

      lp:\
         :pr=|lpr -Plp:\
         :op=root:\
         :pd=/usr/local/atalk/etc/select310.ppd:

And restart netatalk, I can't even do a papstatus on the printer.  It tells me: 
lp:LaserWriter@*: NBP Lookup failed

I think I'm close.  I think it's probably just a small configuration issue, but 
it's really REALLY frusterating me.  It hasn't been the easiest thing to find 
help on this matter.

Can ANYONE help me that's had this problem before or who might have 
an inkling?  I would sincerely appreciate it!

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 08:06:01 -0700 (PDT)

> the queue with the message: "Status: print spooler processing job"

This is normal.  The status message is hard-coded, so that is all it will
ever report doing.

> And restart netatalk, I can't even do a papstatus on the printer.  It
> tells me:  lp:LaserWriter@*: NBP Lookup failed

Have you looked in your log files (/var/log/messages) to see if there are
errors reported?

Papd is very picky about the format of its configuration file, so you
might want to verify that:

1. The printer name starts on the first character of the line.  No leading
spaces or tabs.

2. All the other lines must be tabbed in with one tab character.  Spaces
won't work.

3. If you use line continuation, make sure you don't have a space after
the \, such as ":\ ".  The \ must be the last character on the line.

Otherwise, your papd.conf above looks good.

	Andy

---

From: Bill Holyoak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 11:58:01 -0600 (MDT)

<snip>
 
> Otherwise, your papd.conf above looks good.

You were right.  My papd.conf file was not formatted like you outlined it should
be.  I restarted papd and I can do a papstatus -p lp and it works.  However, the
message that it gives back is still "status: print spooler processing job".  I
checked my /var/log/messages file and found that there HAD previously been
problems starting papd (even though papd showed up with a 'ps aux').  Now it
starts without error, so I know it's running right.

Could this be a permission's issue?  I know that papd somehow interacts with
LDP, but I don't have a whole lot of experience with both.  When I type lpq, it
gives me:

#lpq
Printer: lp@cyborg
 Queue: no printable jobs in queue
 Status: server finished at 02:33:28

while papstatus tells me the queue is busy.  Where does papd try to put the
print job (where is the actual physical location of the 'queue')?

If anybody could give me any ideas at all... I think I'm almost there!

---

From: Bill Holyoak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 11:58:00 -0600 (MDT)

<snip>

#lpq
Printer: lp@cyborg

---

From: Christian Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 18:26:37 +0200

>  lp:LaserWriter@*: NBP Lookup failed

I'm just wondering if your printer entry is correct. IMHO you just 
have to type something like
         :pr=lp:\
to let papd know which linux printer to use for spooling.

Just an idea...

hth,
Christian
-- 
Made with a Macintosh...
[email-masked]
http://home.t-online.de/home/chrischmi/

---

From: Bill Holyoak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 13:22:31 -0600 (MDT)

> Otherwise, your papd.conf above looks good.

Andrew,

False alarm.  When I type 'papstatus -p lp' it always shows me that it 
thinks that the spooler is busy.  However, I went into LaserWriter 8 after I 
restarted papd and selected my printer and sent a print job to it.  This time 
it worked!!!  I should think that papstatus would say that the print queue is 
idle when it's not being used, but oh well... as long as it works!

So the whole problem, indeed, was that the papd.conf file was not 
correctly formatted after all.  Thanks for your help!

Bill

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 14:21:12 -0700 (PDT)

> idle when it's not being used, but oh well... as long as it works!

Papd always reports that the queue is busy processing a job.  That is
hard-coded into it.  I don't know if there is a good way to tell when the
queue is actually idle, especially when you are piping the output to lpr
or another program.

Glad I could help...

	Andy

---

From: TimY <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:08:43 -0800

Here is a link to the best site I can find for pap answers.  Follow 
the instructions and you will have a working printer.  Everything 
worked for me very well and easy.  Good luck
http://www.giub.unibe.ch/~eugster/appleprint.html