Subject: mandrake vs redhat

From: "John Arends" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:49:11 -0500

Does anyone have any idea why a netatalk server would appear in the chooser
on a redhat 6.1 system, but not on a mandrake 7.1 box?

Connecting via tcp/ip works just fine on both systems, but the mandrake box
just wont show up.

I ran the exact same rpm on both and used the same config files.

This seems like it should work..

-----
John Arends
[email-masked]

Windows95/98/NT (noun): 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16 bit
patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit
microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of
competition

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 17:15:20 -0700 (PDT)

> This seems like it should work..

Does the appletalk kernel module load in Mandrake?  I don't know about
Mandrake, but I know that Redhat 6.2 broke auto-loading of the appletalk
kernel module.  Try adding:

alias net-pf-5 appletalk

to /etc/conf.modules and restart netatalk.

	Andy

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:16:29 -0700

> on a redhat 6.1 system, but not on a mandrake 7.1 box?

Because, I suspect, Mandrake in their infinite wisdom of copying ALL things
Red Hat has followed suit of NOT automatically loading the AppleTalk module
upon bootup.

>From an earlier post addressing the RedHat 6.2 problem:

> I'm assuming that you get errors when atalkd starts as well.  With RedHat
> 6.2, you need to add "alias net-pf-5 appletalk" to your /etc/conf.modules
> file.

Who do you contact at Red Hat in order to have this issue addressed and
corrected in the next release?

Does anyone from RedHat even read this list?

Harry