Subject: Re: Can't get netatalk to compile on RedHat 6.0

From: Benjamin Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 21:19:18 -0500

At 5/18/00 8:30 AM, Stephen Beck ([email-masked]) wrote:
>My system is missing header file
><bytesex.h>, referenced by "endian.h" under the source
>netatalk include directory. Do I need any special kernel headers
>files for netatalk?

Don't use netatalk 1.4b2 -- it's been unmaintained for a long time.  Get 
one of the newer netatalk+asun versions; netatalk+asun2.1.4-pre39_test is 
the most current release.  Don't let the "pre" scare you; it's stable.

<ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing/pre-asun2.1.4-39_test.tar.g
z>

--Benjamin Gilbert

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 00:32:21 -0700

on 5/18/00 7:19 PM, Benjamin Gilbert at [email-masked] wrote:

> netatalk+asun2.1.4-pre39_test is

Yeah, but you're better off to get pre-37 if you actually want it to
compile. pre-38 and pre-39 are test versions, from what I understand, that
will NOT compile on RedHat without some tweaks.

pre-37 works very nicely.

Harry

---

From: "Lancaster, David Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 08:32:13 -0300 (ADT)

> pre-37 works very nicely.

bog? pre-39 compiled right fine under RH6.0, only thing I disabled was
Diffie-Hellman (forget exactly why, some sort of library missing or
something) and went with randnum2. Working fine so far...

D.

---

From: "thomas.riewe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 15:09:31 +0200 (CEST)

we are using linux 2.2.14 (on intel-based pc)
with netatalk...asun...pre 37

while filesharing with various macs (via tcp/ip)
we have great troubles with QuarkXPress (as usual ...)
most of the layouters are using qxp 4.11 

whenever a layouter finishes a job,
he puts the complete document with all embedded stuff (pictures) in one
folder and closes the doc. , 
now he starts working on the next

when now one tries to move or even copy the named folder to another
"share" the finder informs him that the files are currently opened
by another user/application and can't even be read
(syslog is silent)

strace tells that the embedded pics aren't closed as long as this qxp
is running AND the netatalk login-session lasts,
one has to restart the finder or close qxp AND logout from the afpd

is this to fix with the "-DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS" ?
is this to change with the "server_quantum"option ?

any hints ?

help (as always) would be greatly appreciated,
thomas (R)

ps: btw, how to fix papd's comment in syslog "getppdent: line too long", i
didn't find a too (how long is too long, in #) long line in the ppds ...

---

From: John Grieg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 15:10:41 +0100

>by another user/application and can't even be read
I have had the same problems on Novell 4.11 ,  Windows NT, and Netatalk.

I dont think this is a Netatalk problem, rather a Quark problem, because I
sometimes get errors about too many open files on the Mac (usually when
using suitcase
(a font  program) I think that under certain conditions Quark "keeps the
files open".

Quitting Quark (on the last machine that had the document open) usually
does the trick.

[email-masked]

---

From: Stephen Beck <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 11:15:25 -0400

Indeed. pre39 did compile ok. Had to turn off UAM_RAND.. whatever, cuz
I didn't have the <des.h> stuff.

afpd works fine with AppleTalk IP. But my older MacIIci with standard
AppleTalk
does not see the service in the chooser. Do I have to enable the
DDP-style AppleTalk
in the RedHat6.0 kernel, 2.2.5? And if so, how? Do I actually have to
pull down kernel
source and compile? Or can I just activate the necessary kernel module
somehow?

I see a message in /var/log/messages from afpd's main that it can't
"resolve requested address"
or something like that.

Thanks all,
Stephen Beck

---

From: "Lancaster, David Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 12:52:23 -0300 (ADT)

> I didn't have the <des.h> stuff.

If you want randnum/randnum2 (cleartext is unacceptable IMHO, but I see
the admins at the local university still telnetting to their hearts
content) you only need to download and install a des library. Not a hard
task, and probably worth the effort vs. having someone nuke important
data/break in.

> "resolve requested address"

First:
reboot, then
cat /var/log/dmesg | grep -i appletalk
You should get a line if Appletalk is being loaded into the kernel (which
it should be if you're running a standard RH6.0 kernel config)
something like "NET4: AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0"
If you do, then you have appletalk in the kernel and your problem is
elsewhere, if not, then you have to get the kernel to load appletalk.

D.

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 18:40:36 +0200

>didn't find a too (how long is too long, in #) long line in the ppds ...

If you transfer a PPD 1:1 from Mac to Unix, it appears as one very long line. Mac uses CR as newline, unix LF.
So use BBEdit Lite or something to translate the EOL to LF and you'll be done.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 18:43:58 +0200

At 11:15 Uhr -0400 19.05.2000, Stephen Beck wrote:

>in the RedHat6.0 kernel, 2.2.5?

No, you'll just have to load the aproppriate kernel module which should exist already with the standard kernel.
Add "alias net-pf-5            appletalk" to your module config file, give a "depmod -a" and try starting atalkd again. Watch syslog. :-)

>"resolve requested address"

Please give exact error messages.

:wq! PoC

---

From: "thomas.riewe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 19:04:41 +0200 (CEST)

> So use BBEdit Lite or something to translate the EOL to LF and you'll be done.
that's why i asked for the collective wisom of this list
I DID CONVERT THE THING

but anyway: that's not a problem (just an annoying message)

the one and only answer to my question (q 4., as in subject)
was till now: same problem on various systems ...

not that nice :-(

cheers,
thomas (R)

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 19:48:39 +0200

>but anyway: that's not a problem (just an annoying message)

In fact the pppd will never get used.

>was till now: same problem on various systems ...

Sorry, but I don't know a possible solution.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 08:22:04 +1200

>is this to change with the "server_quantum"option ?

Yes, the solution to this is to use "-DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS". We have over 
several servers set up this way serving over 50 quark users. Works a 
treat.

mrad01
-- 
========================================================

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer."
		Marcus Radich 1999

========================================================

---

From: "thomas.riewe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 14:37:35 +0200 (CEST)

> several servers set up this way serving over 50 quark users. Works a 
well i compiled on a test machine asun-39 with -DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS
and f***ing q 4.11 does still weird things

the problem is on the mac side, afaik
i did a q session on my own,
opened worked closed and most of the time in the second doc. q didn't
close its file handles (i closed the doc, then looked on the mac with a
tool called open-file-something and at last the last (alphabetical)
picture of the doc. showed up as currently open)

thomas (R)

---

From: Netatalk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 15:07:00 +0200

> will NOT compile on RedHat without some tweaks.

Better yet, kick the folks at redhat to make their distribution at least a
little more admin-friendly ... When I looked at Redhat 6.1 I found dozens
of incompatibilities which simply were unnecessary (missing files from
the original packages, rearranged configuration files, ... ... ...)
I almost freaked out when the install disks didn't even give me a shell
to work around the stupid installer on my sparc.
Given that most of the complaints about netatalk not compiling seem to
come from Redhat-users (with suse being second I think), one can
but wonder how they even manage to sell a single CD :)

Btw ... take a look at http://www.rocklinux.com/ for an admin-friendly
linux distribution. Needless to say, pre39 compiles cleanly on the Rock.

CU ...
Roland Schulz
[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 08:53:26 -0700 (PDT)

> picture of the doc. showed up as currently open)

Yup, this has been a problem since Quark 3.x; I first encountered it on 
a Mac-only setup, so there's no doubt that it wasn't related to
Netatalk. the only solution we ever found was to quit Quark and reopen. We
complained at the time; I would've expected them to get it fixed by now.

--j
--
Jim Meyer ([email-masked])                http://www.selequa.com/~purp
GCS/CA/FA>AT d- s: a C+++$>++++ UI++++$ L+++>++++ P+++$>+++++ E(>++) W++
            N+ o K? w-- O- M+ V-- Y+ b+++ DI++ D+ G++ e* r+++
              -- Geek Code v3.12 http://www.geekcode.com --