Subject: Accessing a server under 2 username

From: Jean Richelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 23:52:21 +0100

Dear all,

Once a Mac has accessed a netatalk server under a given username, it seems that
it is not possible to mount another directory of that server under another
username. Is this a limitation of netatalk or of the AppleTalk protocol ?
Is there any way to remove this limitation ?

Jean
-- 
_____________________________________________________________________________
Jean Richelle <[email-masked]>
Unité de Conformation des Macromolécules Biologiques   Tel: +32 (0)2 650 3587
Université libre de Bruxelles                          FAX: +32 (0)2 648 8954
av. FD Roosevelt 50 - CP160/16, B-1050 Bruxelles, Belgium
_____________________________________________________________________________

---

From: Seth Mattinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 15:39:59 -0800

> Is there any way to remove this limitation ?

You're right, you can't mount a different volume under another username when
you already have one mounted. I believe this is a limitation of how
AppleShare handles logins when it sees network volumes already mounted on a
specific server.

However, you can get around it. Simply access the netatalk server using the
"Server IP Address..." option in AppleShare (Or "Connect to Server" if
you're using the Network Browser).

--
Seth D. Mattinen   [email-masked]   http://roller.reno.nv.us/
PGP Key: finger [email-masked]
...And the truth shall set me free.

---

From: "Owen O'Donovan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 21:58:36 -0600

> Is there any way to remove this limitation ?

  We use a work-around on this one.  afpd.conf allows declaring multiple
(virtual)servers which appear as different 'machines' in the chooser.
We allow guest access  to one server for providing access to applications and
cd's.  Users log on to a second server for home directory file service. Of course
a user cn access one server with one name and the second with another.

Check out  documentation in afpd.conf