Subject: Re: Re2: performance once again...

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:15:13 -0700

>Also, just converted the latest rpm from sourceforge to a debian package and 
>installed it. Works well and seems to solve the alias problem. The only 
>hiccough is that it currently only allows guest login. Suggestions?

Okay, I'm pasting you a message I posted here a week or two ago. You 
might have to Debianize a few of my file location assumptions:

Ok, here ya go. This should work for Redhat-ish distros. I'm assuming no 
previous Netatalk install.

First, I made sure my distro had OpenSSL 0.9.5a installed. Redhat's RPM 
works fine for that. Then I installed the 
netatalk1.4.99-20000927.i386.rpm (forgive a typo here as I didn't verify 
this name). After those prerequisites, do the following:

Step 1 (as root):

cd /etc/atalk/uams
ln -s uams_dhx_pam.so uams_dhx.so
ln -s uams_pam.so uams_clrtxt.so

Step 2 (as root):

I added this line to my /etc/atalk/afpd.conf file to enable DHX and 
disable guest and cleartext access, enable savepassword and setpassword 
privileges:

- -transall -uamlist uams_dhx.so -savepassword -setpassword

Note: DHX requires Mac OS 8.1 clients or later, or AppleShare Client 
3.8.5 (I believe) or later.

If you wanted, for example to add cleartext and guest access, the line 
would look like this:

- -transall -uamlist uams_guest.so,uams_clrtxt.so,uams_dhx.so \
-savepassword -setpassword

Step 3 (as root):

Add an appropriate line to your /etc/hosts file to enable default TCP/IP 
connections. For example, if your server's name is Schizo and Schizo's IP 
is 192.168.0.12, the line would look like this:

192.168.0.12   schizo

I think that's it. Did I forget anything, anybody?

Steve

---

From: David Fickes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:15:16 -0700

Guest logins... somewhere there is a note to make
sure you have a /etc/shells file since netatalk
checks for a valid shell. I had a guest only login
problem with a Solaris box fixed by just creating
a /etc/shells file with a one line /usr/bin/tcsh

-d

-- 
David Fickes		                 +1 650 620-9905
ADVICE Press		                 +1 650 620-9906 fax
951 Old County Road # 103                [email-masked]
Belmont, CA 94002                        www.advicepress.com