Subject: postscript fonts?

From: BWS - Offwhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 17:40:32 -0500 (CDT)

I seem to have problems with printing postscript files.

A user today tried to print a one page Quark file from him Mac and it spit
out a ton of pages with hearts and smileys on the first line.  The rest
was blank.  I am not sure what went wrong.

I looked at the error log and nothing is mentioned in there.  What our
best guess is at this point is that we are missing postscript fonts on the
Unix Spooler (FreeBSD)

Here is my config...

/etc/printcap

laser|lp|HP LaserJet on AppleTalk:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/laser:\
        :rp=raw:\
        :rm=207.7.33.254:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:pw#80:hl:\
        :pd=/usr/local/etc/HPLJ5SIM1.PPD:

/usr/local/etc/papd.conf

laser:\
        :pr=laser:op=laser:\
        :pd=/usr/local/etc/HPLJ5SIM1.PPD:

I have the PPD set redundantly, and have not determined yet where it
should be.  I just have not messed with it too much since it start to work
to at least print the MS Word files they wanted to print.

But now Quark seems to be unhappy.  What can I do?  Do I need install some
fonts or a filter?  Should I use this filter?

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/print/lprps-letter/pkg/DESCR

Please help if you can.  I am pretty helpless here.

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

---

From: TimY <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 16:17:24 -0700

Try this, instead of doing destination printer in the print dialogue 
box choose file.  Then goto the 'save as' options. Select postscript 
level 1, binary data, and include ALL fonts.  Then save the file out 
as a postscript file.  It will end in .ps.  Then use a program to 
download the file to the printer spooler you have on the linux box. 
Or mount the spool directory and then when you save the postscript 
print file you can save it directly to the spool directory.  If you 
do indeed have a font problem this should print fine.  If it still 
prints bad then something else is wrong.  Basically you are printing 
to a binary postscript file with all the fonts included.  It works 
real good for trouble shooting.

Later,
Tim Yardley