Subject: subscribe

From: Jean-Michel Mignot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 15:46:55 +0200

Hi,

I have problems with NetaTalk, which I have submitted as a bug 
report, but since I am not sure of whether it originates from 
NetaTalk itself, from the version of OpenTransport we are using (or a 
combination of both), or any peculiarity of our configuration, I 
would be happy to hear suggestions from experienced administrators. 
At this moment, our users are back to ftp connections to access their 
files: a shame!!

A brief description of our problem follows:

Environment
Server : Sun, Solaris 2.6
NetaTalk version:  1.4b2
Macintosh G4 400 MHz, System 9.0.4 French
Ethernet LAN

Problem
+When users try to mount their personal volume on our NetaTalk 
server, the PowerMac G4 hangs and must be rebooted. The usernames and 
passwords can be entered, and the usual connection dialog is 
displayed, allowing one of four different volumes to be selected. One 
specific volume (corresponding to the user's home directory in Unix) 
causes the problem.
+Other volumes on the *same* server can be mounted even from these 
computers. According to our unix administrator, there seems to be no 
essential difference between the volumes that behave differently.
+The offending volume itself *can* be mounted on an older PowerBook 
G3 running System 8.0 Fr.
+This behaviour is fully reproducible and occurs on several G4 
machines (running essentially the same system software)
+If one tries to mount the same volume from the same Macs, but using 
a copy of NetaTalk running on a different unix machine: il also 
crashes the system.

Note :
Error messages appear in the Unix system log file :
Apr 18 17:05:58 elbe afpd[20369]: getquota: mountp /home/molene fails
Apr 18 17:06:10 elbe afpd[20369]: getquota: mountp /home/capri fails
Apr 18 17:06:17 elbe afpd[20369]: getquota: mountp /home/corse fails
Apr 18 17:06:25 elbe afpd[20369]: getquota: mountp /home/llb1/mignot fails,
but these messages are issued irrespective of whether the volume 
mounts correctly (line 1 to 3) or hangs (line 4).

Thanks for helping,

Jean-Michel MIGNOT

<mailto:[email-masked]> or <mailto:[email-masked]>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laboratoire Leon Brillouin (CEA-CNRS)   <Tel: +33 1 69 08 8708>
CEA / Saclay                            <Fax: +33 1 69 08 8261>
91191 GIF SUR YVETTE
France

Secretariat:                            <Tel: +33 1 69 08 5241>
LLB Homepage:                           <http://www-llb.cea.fr/index_e.html>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------