Subject: Can't write own home directory

From: Richard Zach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 03:11:48 -0700

I'm having trouble configuring afp on my Linux machine.  After mounting
the Linux volume, I see my home directory fine, and I can read files,
but I can't write anything (get an error -23).  Every file and directory
in /home is owner read and writable. I tried deleting the .AppleDesktop
and Network\ Trash\ Folder directories, which didn't help either. 
Looking at the File > Sharing info on the Mac side of the shared volume
has a checkmark next to "Owner can make changes".

Running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on a RH 6.2 machine with a 2.4.0 kernel
(but I had the same problem on a stock 2.2.14)

---

From: Richard Zach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 11:32:51 -0700

Richard Zach wrote:
> but I can't write anything (get an error -23).

I found quite a number of people are having this problem.  Here are a
few links to the linux-atalk list, where the same problem is described. 
See

http://www.netspace.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9705B&L=linux-atalk&P=R835&m=2329
http://www.netspace.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9709B&L=linux-atalk&P=R445&m=2329
http://www.netspace.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9807B&L=linux-atalk&P=R729&m=4228
http://www.netspace.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9903A&L=linux-atalk&P=R351&m=5371

and replies to these.  Noone seems to have a solution. (The only
suggested solution in these threads was to upgrade to MacOS 7.5.5, which
is waht I'm running).

The symptoms again, compiled from my own experiences and the above
threads:

When copying a file from the Mac to the atalk server by drag-and-drop,
you get an Error -23.  You get no such error when:

- You save a file to the shared volume from an application.
- You copy the file, and a file with the same name already exists on the
shared volume.
- You copy a folder (containing the file) to the shared volume.

Seems to happen with all kinds of Linux distributions, netatalk
versions, MacOS versions (maybe only before MacOS 8), OpenTransport or
MacTCP.

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 12:14:07 -0700 (PDT)

I haven't seen this problem myself, but has anyone checked on the execute
permission of the directory?  I noticed when I was working on drop boxes
before that MacOS can't write to a directory if you don't have +x set.  I
even wrote a little fix for that (lifted from the CAP code) which I will
eventually post to SourceForge for netatalk 1.5.

> versions, MacOS versions (maybe only before MacOS 8), OpenTransport or

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 14:49:00 -0500 (CDT)

I had the same thing happen. It was incorrect permissions on the
.AppleDouble directory.

Daniel E. Lautenschleger
University of Wisconsin
R.M. Bock Laboratories
Network Administrator and Computer Support
[email-masked]
608.262.3403

---

From: Richard Zach <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 13:36:32 -0700

> eventually post to SourceForge for netatalk 1.5.

The home directory, as well as .AppleDouble and .AppleDesktop etc. all
are drwxrws---, same results with just drwxrwx---.  And as noted,
writing works if a file with the same name exists, if you're writing a
folder, or if you're saving from an application (as opposed to
drag-and-drop copying).