Subject: Netatalk on FreeBSD 3.4

From: Zdenek Radouch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 03:10:44 -0400

I installed and tried the "netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3" package on FreeBSD 3.4
(from the 3.4-Release CD set) and did not get very far.  The atalkd fails when
doing SIOCADDMULTI (errno 45 Operation not supported), and papd
fails trying to locate libdes.so.3.  Quickly looking around, I found tons
of references
to Netatalk related addmulti ioctl errors so I did not pursue this any
further.

My question is simple.  Can someone please tell me what the best
way of getting a working version of Netatalk is - preferably on release 3.4.
Just to be sure, all I did to test this was build a kernel with the NETATALK
support and then I tried to start the daemons (without any config files).

Please respond directly to me. Thanks!
-Zdenek

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:25:55 -0700 (PDT)

> to Netatalk related addmulti ioctl errors so I did not pursue this any

Sounds like your network card/driver doesn't support multicasting?  This
may be a problem with any version of netatalk you try to use, unless you
only want to run AppleShare over IP (ASIP).

> support and then I tried to start the daemons (without any config files).

Have you tried compiling the latest source files?  You can get a tarball
from ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing/

I have no idea if these compile cleanly on FreeBSD, so let us know if it
works or not.

	Andy