Subject: Permissions

From: Jürgen Knott <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 11:55:21 +0200

Hi there!

When a Mac-User will create a folder, the access is set 0755, but it must be
set to 0775.
For Samba and the Windows Clients this settings are ok, eg. when Winuser is
creating a folder the access right is set to 0775.

How can i setting up netatalk to use by creating a folder the mask 0775?
And how can i setting up netatalk to use the mask 0660 by creating files?

Tanks a lot!

Have Fun!

Greetings Juergen

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:30:13 -0700 (PDT)

If you set a directory to permissions 2775, folders you create from within
that directory will also be 2775.  The "2" is the setgid bit which makes
netatalk inherit the permissions from the parent folder for all files and
folders.  Therefore, to make files within a folder get permissions 660,
you have to make the folder 2660, BUT netatalk needs to have that execute
bit turned on (fixed in 1.5).  So you have to make the folder have 2770
permission.  The execute bit doesn't do anything for netatalk files
anyway, since execute information is in .AppleDouble anyway.

> And how can i setting up netatalk to use the mask 0660 by creating files?

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/