Subject: password problems solved

From: "Joe Rhodes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 22:30:11 CDT

For anyone else that is having the same trouble I was, I thought I'd throw 
out what worked for me.

Symptoms:
	netatalk box shows up in chooser, but correct log on always gives, 
"Sorry,the password you entered was ..."

Problem:
	netatalk is very sensative to the permisions on the ".passwd" file that 
lives in each users directory.  It must have only owner read and write 
permisions.  I found this out by finally noticing the "Insecure permissions 
found for /home/jrhodes/.passwd" message showing up in /var/log/messages. 
Further, the file must be the creater and owner of the file.  If you're 
setting up this file for someone else, than you must su to that user to 
create the file, then change it's permissions

Solution:
	Give the .passwd file the correct permissions, log in happily, smack 
oneself in the head severly saying "DOH!" loudly.

	Hope this helps  anyone else running into the same thing!

-Joe Rhodes

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com