Subject: Re: pre-asun 2.1.4-37b and RedHat 6.1

From: Benjamin Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 16:57:03 -0600

At 1/31/00 9:13 AM, clyde jones ([email-masked]) wrote:

>>Linux version is 2.2.12-20smp on an intel based system.
>>I have also compiled and installed OpenSSL 0.0.94
>>
>>Trying to compile pre-asun 2.1.4-37b I get always some errors.
>>
>>Here I have included the very last lines from the "make" log:
>>_____
>>
>>cd adouble; make -w CC="gcc " DEFS="-DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX  " \
>>     RPCSVCDEFS="${RPCSVCDEFS}" \
>>     OPTOPTS="-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fsigned-char -Wunused 
>>-Wuninitialized " TCPWRAPDIR="/usr" DB2DIR=""
>>make[3]: Entering directory `/home/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/libatalk/adouble'
>>mkdir profiled
>>gcc  -p -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX   -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer 
>>-fsigned-char -Wunused -Wuninitialized  -I../../include -c ad_open.c
>>../include/atalk/adouble.h:In function `sendfile':
>>In file included from ad_open.c:38:
>>../../include/atalk/adouble.h:50: `__NR_sendfile' undeclared (first 
>>use this function)
>>../../include/atalk/adouble.h:50: (Each undeclared identifier is 
>>reported only once for each function it appears in.)
>>make[3]: *** [ad_open.o] Error 1
>>make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/libatalk/adouble'
>>make[2]: *** [adouble] Error 2
>>make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/libatalk'
>>make[1]: *** [../../libatalk] Error 2
>>make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/sys/linux'
>>make: *** [all] Error 2
>>_____
>>
>>Can anyone help me to get it compiled and installed?
>Hi the exact url for netatalk is
>
>http://www.freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/10/03/907422665.html
>
>don't bother compiling - get the rpm and install it that way.
>check out http://www.freshmeat.net for the latest rpm

Bother compiling.  The netatalk rpms tend to have configuration problems 
and usually aren't very up-to-date.  Thoughts: 1. Do you have the 
kernel-headers package installed?  You should.  2. You might try turning 
off -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX in 
/home/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/sys/linux/Makefile.  It seems to be 
choking on the sendfile stuff.

--Benjamin Gilbert

---

From: Fabrizio Catalano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 11:56:39 +0100

>choking on the sendfile stuff.

Removing the _DSENDFILE stuff  I got netatalk compiled and now it is 
working, thank you for your help.

Now I have two questions:

a) As backup machine I have another system, that is an exact copy of 
the main server ( Linux RedHat 6.1 - kernel 2.2.12-20) the only 
difference is that isn't a multiprocessor box.  Here I have compiled 
pre-asun 2.1.4-37b without any problem. Can the smp version of the 
kernel do the difference?

b) In the chooser when I see the shares available on the server, the 
first row is blank and trying to mount this blank line together other 
volumes or alone, the Mac client "bombs" with a type 10 error. The 
bomb error is only with MacOs 8.6 clients, in MacOs 9 I can see the 
same blank line, but there are not more problems. Maybe I have a 
wrong configuration file?

Thanx

Fabrizio

---

From: Casey Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 09:43:24 -0800

> wrong configuration file?

Fabrizio,
I'm not sure about the first question, but here's what we did for the
second.

In the AppleVolumes.system, don't specify any shares.  Define the shares
in the AppleVolumes.default.

Here's part of my AppleVolumes.system:
#
# This file is read before (after if -u is specified) the user's
# AppleVolume file.  Add extension mappings and volumes here.
#
#  if you uncomment these lines you get an extra
#   space in the chooser-volume dialog box, weird.  don't do it.
# /pub/Mac_Stuff/
# ~
#
# default translation -- note that CR <-> LF translation is done on all
# files of type TEXT.  The first line turns off translation for files of
# unknown type, the second turns this translation on.
.       BINA    R*ch
# .       TEXT    UNIX

# New Stuff
.xls    XLS8    XCEL
#################  SNIP a lot of stuff >>>

Here's part of my AppleVolumes.default:
# >>> SNIPPED a lot of stuff >>>
# Public Mac Share 
/pub/Mac_Stuff/ "Mac Stuff"
# Home dir
~
#

That's how I dealt with it.  If there is a better way or someone knows
why it puts the blank entry in the Chooser, I'm all ears. :)
HTH.
-- 
=====================================================================
Casey Lewis                     email:	[email-masked]
Technology Coordinator          phone:  702.228.0222
R&R Partners                    fax:    702.228.7885
=====================================================================