Subject: access privileges.

From: Ajay Sharma <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 12:12:47 -0800 (PST)

I just moved over to a Linux+Netatalk server from ASIP and I'm having a
file access problem. 

Linux:  Redhat 6.2
Netatalk:  1.4b2+asun2.1.3-8 (installed from RPM)

The share from the Applevolumes.default:

/raid1/production production options=crlf access=@staff

Now the users accessing this share are all in the "staff" group, they
can log in fine and read the files fine.  But when they open up a
photoshop file, hit "save" it gives them:

could not save "[filename]" because you do not have the necessary access
privileges.

But if they save the PSD to their desktop, they can drag 'n' drop it
into the folder without any problems?  

I chmod'ed all the folders to 2775 so they look like:

[root@prodigy CLRWTR]# ls -la
total 16
drwxrwsr-x    4 root     staff        4096 Oct 18 16:16 .
drwxrwsr-x   11 root     staff        4096 Oct 23 17:25 ..
drwxrwsr-x    2 root     staff        4096 Oct 20 21:49 .AppleDouble
drwxrwsr-x    3 root     staff        4096 Oct 19 14:20 Jewelers
[root@prodigy CLRWTR]# cd Jewelers/
[root@prodigy Jewelers]# ls -la
total 712
drwxrwsr-x    3 root     staff        4096 Oct 19 14:20 .
drwxrwsr-x    4 root     staff        4096 Oct 18 16:16 ..
drwxrwsr-x    2 root     staff        4096 Oct 20 21:49 .AppleDouble
-rwxrwsr-x 1 root staff 710404 Oct 19 14:15050 tam_artisangall_HIGH

The file that they are trying to overwrite is 'tam_artisangall_HIGH' and
it doesn't work.  I looked in /var/log/messages and the only thing I saw
was:

Oct 30 11:02:23 prodigy afpd[28931]: afp_openfork: ad_open: Permission
denied

Any suggestions?  

later,
ajay

----------------------------------------------------------------
Satyajot (Ajay) Sharma 
[email-masked]
Digital Odyssey System Administrator
"You will find true love, or a missing sock" -- Bazooka Joe
----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:46:49 -0800 (PST)

> Oct 30 11:02:23 prodigy afpd[28931]: afp_openfork: ad_open: Permission

Have you looked at the permissions on the corresponding file in the
.AppleDouble directory?

Also, you probably don't want the setgid bit for files, just directories.
You can fix this by going to the top-level directory you want to make the
change and running:

find ./ -type f | xargs chmod 770

	Andy

---

From: Ajay Sharma <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:14:52 -0800 (PST)

> Have you looked at the permissions on the corresponding file in the

Here's the current directory ...

[root@prodigy Jewelers]# ls -laR   
.:
total 712
drwxrwsr-x    3 root     staff        4096 Oct 19 14:20 .
drwxrwsr-x    4 root     staff        4096 Oct 18 16:16 ..
drwxrwsr-x    2 root     staff        4096 Oct 20 21:49 .AppleDouble
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root staff 710404 Oct 19 14:15 050tam_artisangall_HIGH

... and the .AppleDouble directory.

./.AppleDouble:
total 24
drwxrwsr-x    2 root     staff        4096 Oct 20 21:49 .
drwxrwsr-x    3 root     staff        4096 Oct 19 14:20 ..
-rwxrwxr-x    1 root     staff         589 Oct 20 21:49 .Parent
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root staff 11321 Oct 20 21:49 050tam_artisangall_HIGH
root@prodigy Jewelers]# 

> Also, you probably don't want the setgid bit for files, just
> directories. You can fix this by going to the top-level directory
> you want to make the change and running:
> 

Okay, I did this in the directory and they are still getting the error.
Is there anything else I can check?  

later,
ajay

----------------------------------------------------------------
Satyajot (Ajay) Sharma 
[email-masked]
Digital Odyssey System Administrator
WWJMD - What would Jim Morrison do.
----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Howard Schultens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:07:42 +0100

andrew morgan wrote:
> .....

I tried this out, and in its present form it doesn't work with
Apple filenames that have embedded blanks.  There must
be a trick to escape the blanks in this command -- can you help me out
here?

Thanks,

-- Howard
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dipl.-Phys. H.Schultens     Tel: +49 551 39-5914
Zentrum Physiologie         FAX: +49 551 39-5923
Humboldtallee 23
37073 Goettingen       mailto:[email-masked]
Germany               http://www.neuro-physiol.med.uni-goettingen.de
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 06:36:45 -0800 (PST)

> be a trick to escape the blanks in this command -- can you help me out

Yeah, I forgot about that little trick.  You can use:

find ./ -type f -print0 | xargs --null chmod 770

	Andy