Subject: AppleVolumes File question

From: [email-masked] (Lee Blevins)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 20:06:59 -0400

What is the format for the AppleVolumes file in the users home dir?

Can I just copy the one from /usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.default?

I'm trying to limit the shares a user sees to their home dir but allow
my staff to see all users dirs.

Thank you

---

From: ME <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 19:02:49 -0700 (PDT)

> What is the format for the AppleVolumes file in the users home dir?

Same as AppleVolumes.default

E.G.:
# This is a comment
/path/to/linux/unix/share	"Network Vol Name"

> Can I just copy the one from /usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.default?

Sure. On Linux, soft and hard (symbolic) links work too. (Have not tested
others systems, but would expect it to work too.)

Make maintenance a breeze for when you have multiple groups that will need
t access only certain shares.

Also useful for enabling "guest" to map to the "nobody" user and then
create a .AppleVolumes file in ~nobody so you can limit what guest is able
to see.

> my staff to see all users dirs.

Yeah, excellent place for a symlink.

However, do your user have access to a shell?

if they have access to their own account, they can change what they see by
editing ~/.AppleVolumes

If they do not have shells, never share their "home" directory, only
sub-directories. This way they cannount mount their home-directory to edit
.AppleVolumes and increase the shares they can access.

Another choice for Linux users (I am sure other systems may hve this too)
(This is a wicked thing to do, and I have not fully tested it, but may be
useful for you.)

If you do give your users a shell, and do not want them to change their
~/.AppleVolumes, check out "chattr" with the immutable flag. (Can only be
set by root)

With this set, they are not supposed to be able move, delete, edit, or
modify the file. It can create other problems. If you want to rm -rf teir
home dir as root, you will have to chattr it back to not have immutable
because even root is not supposed to be able to delete a file that is
chattr immutable.

(This is stated not as a real-world suggestions, but because it is a
choice.)

Enjoy,
-ME

---

From: [email-masked] (Lee Blevins)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 06:50:05 -0400

> create a .AppleVolumes file in ~nobody so you can limit what guest is able

What is the correct name for the file? must it be preceded by ".?"

Applevolumes
Applevolumes.
.Applevolumes

---

From: Steven Karel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:14:29 -0400 (EDT)

> What is the correct name for the file? must it be preceded by ".?"

None of the above... it should be:

.AppleVolumes

steven