Subject: RE: netatalk in production environments...Definitive

From: "Luke McNeilage" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 12:31:08 +1000

I'm sorry?????

My aliases that I save to my shared volumes, in any level of subdirectory
made either on or off the server, accessed from any user:

 .......ALL WORK FINE!!!!!!!!

It is apparent that you users are have a lot of problems with some of the
core functionality of why you share information. I believe from some of the
comments that I have read, that you need to get a grip on user rights and
file services.

Crucify me if you think I'm wrong, but mine works, but I can't explain it.
There needs to be a concerted effort with new documentation on all this if
we are ever going to pull it together. I run 50 servers, servicing over 500
users in mixed smb and netatalk environments.

Now we are just a startup so I am paddling like an army of ducks, but one of
the first things I intend to do in any future quite time, is re-write this
chaos.
============================================================================
Luke McNeilage
Technical Director
D2P (Australasia) Pty Ltd
Email: [email-masked]
Web: www.d2p.com.au

Australia's leading file delivery system for publishing & graphic arts.

Tel: +61 (0)3 9429 3233
Fax: +61 (0)3 9427 0929
Mobile: 0419 512 868

Suite 3/243 Bridge Road
Richmond VIC 3121
Australia

----------
>From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: netatalk in production environments....(RFC)
>Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 4:41 PM
>

> A great many people have posted in the past how they are using netatalk
> servers in genuine production environments. This puzzles me, simply because,
> as much as I like netatalk, it still lacks one MAJOR feature which, in my
> opinion, renders it near unusable in a heavy production environment - alias
> support.
>
> Even under pre-37, alias' for sub-folders will break and not remain attached
> from session to session. Most user's I know heavily rely on alias' to
> utilize server volumes - hence, I do not find it possible to deploy netatalk
> servers in such environments, no matter how much I want to, because the
> server is nearly unusable with alias support.
>
> Apple's ASIP (of course) as well as Windows NT have no problems. Novell's
> Netware (which is genuine crap) and netatalk don't handle alias' reliably.
>
> My question, to those of you that DO use netatalk in production environments
> - how do you do it? How do you deal with the alias issue, and what
> work-arounds have you found for your users (no, telling them they can't use
> alias' is NOT an answer....)
>
> I'm really curious, as myself, and several IT friends of mine keep having
> these discussions, and regardless how much we really want to deploy
> netatalk, our hands are tied by the workflow of our users.
>
> I know the problem hs to do with persistent IDs, but why can Win NT handle
> it, and what's the issue with netatalk not being able to?
>
> Harry
>

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 00:04:50 -0700

> comments that I have read, that you need to get a grip on user rights and

DO bear in mind, based on the response from many different people in this
thread, alias' ARE a problem and do the d to break on netatalk. Alias' to
VOLUMES work fine, but to sub-folders on those volumes break.

If you have absolutely no problems, that's great, but then I'd like to know
what your system environment is, and if you are using tcp, or ddp services?

In other words, what's your config?

It could very well be that the problem is one of permissions, since 90% of
all problems appear to be permissions issues...

Let's compare notes, and see what we come up with.

Harry