Subject: Netatalk NIS

From: Lars Grobe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:09:55 +0100 (MET)

Hi!

Who has any experiences with Netatalk and NIS?

We have about 300 user accounts on our server and would like to 
distribute the file services over two servers (we have some old 
Compaq-Servers with very slow processors, but nice RAID hardware). 
As we need Samba and Netatalk on our servers, I think it would be 
good to use NIS. I know that Samba can handle NIS-homes with few 
overhead, it doesn't need to use NFS, but passes the whole process 
to the machine holding the user's home.

Is this possible with netatalk, too? And are there any installations of 
Samba and Netatalk running on NIS-systems?

Thank You, CU, Lars.

-- 
Sent through GMX FreeMail - http://www.gmx.net

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 08:45:03 -0800 (PST)

> Samba and Netatalk running on NIS-systems?

We run netatalk on a Solaris machine which is an NIS client.  17,000
users.  No problem.

	Andy