Subject: funky behavior w/ new netatalk

From: Brice Ruth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:14:17 -0600

Recently went to update my netatalk, downloaded 1.4.99-0.20001108 and
compiled & installed it.  I'm running kernel 2.4-test11 w/ XFS on a dual
i686.  Everything seemed to go fine at first, atalkd started, afpd
started, papd started ... I was able to print via papd, I opened the
Chooser & saw the server via ddp - all good.  I could select the server,
login via DHX and see my shares, mount them just fine - navigate my
folders, even open files from the server ... but when I try to COPY a
file from the server to my desktop or any other folder ... the copy
window reports that 16K of progress has occurred - no more progress is
observed, clicking on 'stop' doesn't cancel the copy and eventually
locks up the Mac forcing a hard reboot.  No errors of any kind appear to
be logged anywhere that I can find them ... I've had to revert back to
my older version of netatalk (thankfully I installed into a different
directory) ... all works fine with the older version on the same kernel
& configuration.

Any help would be appreciated!

--
Brice Ruth
WebProjkt, Inc.
VP, Director of Internet Technology
http://www.webprojkt.com/

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:49:22 -0500

AppleTalk support in 2.4 is lacking currently. Try testing on a non-dev
kernel.

-- 

 Matthew Keller
 WebMaster, Interim Network Manager & 
   Host Systems Analyst
 Distributed Computing/Telemedia
 Information Services Division
 State University of New York at Potsdam
 
 Website: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/
 PGP: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/crypto/
 Webcam:  http://webcam.mattwork.potsdam.edu:85/