Subject: Redhat 6.2 installation wierdness

From: Steve Maller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 09:43:50 -0700

When I upgraded to Redhat Linux 6.2, netatalk wouldn't load at all.

I snooped around, and noticed that the AppleTalk stuff in the kernel was no
longer loading automatically. So in /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk I added the line:

/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0smp/misc/appletalk.o

And it seems to work now. Is this a common experience Out There?

Thanks.
-- 
Steve Maller
http://www.maller.com

I have too much respect for the idea of God to make it responsible for
such an absurd world.
    -- Georges Duhamel

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 10:36:16 -0700

> And it seems to work now. Is this a common experience Out There?

Yes, someone at RedHat decided that AppleTalk wasn't important enough, and
just because it was a standard part of the kernel before, there is no need
to let anyone know that they removed it. Typical.

Harry

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 19:47:22 +0200

>And it seems to work now. Is this a common experience Out There?

Yes. You may also add "alias net-pf-5            appletalk" to your module config file, which switches this back to automatic mode.

:wq! PoC