Subject: problem with login...

From: Casey Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:26:43 -0800

hi all,
I'm experiencing a problem with logging into a newly install netatalk
server.
Its netatalk 2.1.4pre37. I have several other linux boxes working fine
with the same or older versions... I've tried using dhx and cleartext
with no success.

When I enter username and passwd on the Mac side and click connect I get
"Sorry, the password that you entered is incorrect. Please reenter it."
I've run "afpd -d" to watch the session and sure enough I see my
username and password being passed:
/usr/local/atalk/sbin/afpd -d
command: 18
12 06 41 46 50 32 2E 32 10 43 6C 65 61 72 74 78         ..AFP2.2.Cleartx
74 20 70 61 73 73 77 72 64 03 66 6F 6F 00 66 6F         t passwrd.foo.fo
6F 00 00 00 00 00                                       o.....          
(end)

There is one thing that is different about this install than my other
installs. I've installed openssl-0.9.6 and let netatalk compile with it,
to take advantage of DHX. All my other boxes are running in cleartext
and I figured since this one will be remote I should look at DHX.
I'm running Slackware 7.1 

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Thanks,
-casey
-- 
=====================================================================
Casey Lewis                     email:	[email-masked]
R&R Partners :: IT Manager      phone:  702.228.0222
http://www.rrpartners.com/      fax:    702.228.7885
=====================================================================

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:14:56 -0800

What version of MacOS is running on your client?  If it's below MacOS 9, 
what version of AppleShare do you have?

---

From: Casey Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:33:19 -0800

Its currently OS 9.0.4 with AppleShare 3.8.6, but in production I'll
have a mix of Mac OS everything from 7.6.1 to 9.0.4

---

From: Basil Hussain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:21:14 +0000

Hi,

> have a mix of Mac OS everything from 7.6.1 to 9.0.4

Not that this applies to your current problem (yet), but something to beware
of soon. When you start using other Mac clients in your production
environment, you will need to make sure that you upgrade the AppleShare
extensions on the older Macs (anything running less than MacOS 9, basically)
to 3.8.6. A complete update package can be downloaded from Apple's support
web site.

Otherwise, you will experience a different kind of error - where the Mac
indicates that is does not support the authentication method you are trying
to use - when you try to connect with DHX on, say, MacOS 7.6.1.

Regards,

------------------------------------------------
Basil Hussain ([email-masked])

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 02:45:49 +0100

> I'm running Slackware 7.1

Getting DHX logins running on my SuSE 7.0 box caused me some
headache, too. 

Turned out The SSL package alone didn't suffice, I had to install the
password database library for PAM package (series networking) as well.

HTH,
-Thomas

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers