Subject: DHX and Solaris 7

From: Tom Kacvinsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 15:43:40 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

Runiing netatalk + asun 2.1.4 pre 30 on a Solaris 7 box.  No PAM support
compiled in.

I can't get DHX logins to work.  The DHX module loads (checked syslog for that,
sure enough, its loaded), but I cannot login.  If I use an earlier version of
the AppleShare extention (3.8.3), I get clear text logins just fine.  I am using
OpenSSL 0.9.6 for -lcrypto.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

---

From: Tom Kacvinsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 16:10:43 -0400 (EDT)

Apologies for replying to my own post.

The solution is to downgrade to openssl 0.9.4 (this is also what I did
for my Linux box).

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:41:55 -0700 (PDT)

Since DHX appears to be a hot topic, I'm starting a DHX troubleshooting
checklist.  If anything I have here is incorrect or if someone wants to
add to it, please do so.  Maybe we can add this to the official netatalk
documentation.

1.  Use MacOS 9 or higher, or if 8.x, be sure you're using at least 
AppleShare extension version 3.8.6.

2.  Check your afpd.conf file.  It should contain this option:
-uamlist uams_guest.so,uams_clrtxt.so,uams_dhx.so  [is the order
relevant?  does anyone know?]

3.  A few people have reported that openssl version 0.9.4 works, but
from my experience, 0.9.5a works when compiled from the source code.

4.  If compiling netatalk from the source code, make sure that CRYPTO
indicates the base location of the openssl files.  It will look for the
files in CRYPTO/lib, etc.  Also, netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.4pre37 or higher
is recommended for this as there have been some minor updates in the
code.  

NOTE:  netatalk 1.4.99 (1.5 prereleases) have a configuration script which
will look for the openssl files for you and do a bunch of other
autodetecting, automatic configuration stuff.  To configure and compile
netatalk 1.4.99 with default settings, execute:

autogen.sh
configure
make install

If you need to customize the compile options, configure --help will give
you a full list of parameters you can specify to alter the way netatalk
compiles.

5.  If you're using PAM modules, go to the directory where your compiled
UAMs are stored and type this command:

ln -s uams_dhx.so uams_dhx_pam.so

---

That's what I know about making DHX work on a Linux box.  I don't know
about other platforms, but it should be about the same, right?

> OpenSSL 0.9.6 for -lcrypto.

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:05:42 -0400

> checklist.  If anything I have here is incorrect or if someone wants to

Sorry, but can someone give me an idea with DHX?  What is it?  What's big
difference between 1.5 (when it releases) and 1.4?

Alex

---

From: "Basil Hussain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 09:45:07 +0100

Hi,

I have just a couple of comments here...

> from my experience, 0.9.5a works when compiled from the source code.

I have OpenSSL 0.9.5a installed from RPM (one provided with the OpenSSH
distribution) and this seems to be fine too.

> ln -s uams_dhx.so uams_dhx_pam.so

This would seem to be a general necessity, regardless of which DHX UAM you
plan to use. I have been fiddling with DHX just now and the Mac doesn't seem
to like it (pops up a message about unsupported authentication method) if
you refer to either UAM directly in afpd.conf. The current 1.4.99 RPM
installation doesn't set up this symlink for you - maybe it should?

Oh, and you have the arguments in the wrong order above. Should be:

ln -s uams_dhx_pam.so uams_dhx.so

Regards,

------------------------------------------------
Basil Hussain ([email-masked])

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 22:58:00 -0400

Hey All,

Sorry..  I know I have posted this before, but I forgot if I got any
response or yet.  Sorry again!

Can these be requests?

1. In some areas in a share, you probably don't want to allow write access.
For example, first level in a share.  You want your users to follow your
archives system.  Here comes the problem.  Let's say this is the archives
system layout:

/home/archives (mode 755, own by admin)
  projects (mode 777)
  development (mode 775)

If you connect to the share as user1, netatalk will think that
/home/archives does not own by you, and you can't create or overwrite
resource folks (.AppleDesktop/.AppleDouble).  Can netatalk be setup so that
it will check the permission against .AppleDesktop/.AppleDouble and not the
current path?

2. Can netatalk be setup so that it will be showing available space based on
current open path and not the share path?  If you have multi s-links in a
share, you are not going to get the correct available space.  You might even
have problems to upload files due to space calculation errors.

Sorry to post this again ;P

Alex