Subject: Require Use of Microsoft UAM to authenticate on Samba?

From: Thien Vu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 17:13:12 -0800 (PST)

I was wondering if there was anyway to have the Macintosh clients use the
Microsoft UAM to authenticate to the netatalk server because the Netatalk
server then authenticates using pam_smb to a Samba server. Now all of this
communication is going on through cleartext, and I was wondering if I
could force the Macintosh machines to use the MS UAM to have encrypted
passwords over the network?

Thanks,

Thien

---

From: Ryan Cleary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 10:15:06 -0500

> passwords over the network?

Why not use the DHX uam?  This allow encrypted password transport from
the Macintosh client to the netatalk server (and allows passwords of
more than 8 characters).  We use this with a Kerberos pam module to do
authentication.

--Ryan Cleary