Subject: Japanese filename support?

From: Steve Frampton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 14:40:24 +0900 (JST)

Hello:

I've set up a Linux-based file and print server for a rather large
Japanese office.  The Windows clients are using Samba, which has been
configured with:

   client code page = 932
   codingsystem = EUC

This maps the Microsoft JIS character encoding to a more Unix-friendly EUC
format.  The Japanese and English filenames appear properly whether viewed
with Windows file manager, or from the Linux console with kterm or kon.

I've also set up Netatalk so the Mac clients can have access to these same
files.  However, while they are able to access English file names, when
they try to access the Japanese filenames, they get an error.  In
addition, the filenames as viewed from the Mac appear as gibberish.

Just wondering if Netatalk had support for other character encoding
schemes, and if so, what options would enable them.  Also, are there other
issues I should be aware of, when sharing a file area between Mac and
Windows users (I seem to recall an issue with special Mac file names).

Thanks in advance...

- --------------< LINUX: The choice of a GNU generation. >--------------
Steve Frampton    <[email-masked]>    Japan Communications, Inc.
Software Developer/Systems Administrator    http://www.j-com.co.jp/
GNU Privacy Guard ID: D055EBC5  (see http://www.gnupg.org for details)
GNU-PG Fingerprint: EEFB F03D 29B6 07E8 AF73  EF6A 9A72 F1F5 D055 EBC5

---

From: Steve Frampton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 09:13:40 +0900 (JST)

Hello:

Since nobody responded to this (aside from a couple of e-mails saying, "I
have experienced the same problem" or "It's a known issue"), I'd like to
ask again if any work is being done to handle alternate character sets
(such as Japanese), or if any workarounds exist.

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Steve Frampton wrote:

> schemes, and if so, what options would enable them.