Subject: pre-asun2.1.4-39

From: Alain RICHARD <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:23:21 +0200

Hi,

I would like to make some more work on the current developement 
netatalk. The problem is that it seems asun is not currently working 
on it. The last beta version is pre-asun2.1.4-39_test and asun has 
disabled in it the charsets conversions routines. This is realy a 
problem for us, the rest of the world, who is using diatrical marks 
in filenames.

So I need to reenable the charset conversions in a recent developer 
beta version.

Do asun is still working on that projet (we havn't get any new since 
5 months now from him, probably because he have a lot of other things 
to do on a day by day basis) ? Is there a -39 derived version 
supporting charsets convertion ? Is there any open bug list on this 
version ? What do you think about opening a sourceforge.net projet 
for doing more active netatalk developement ?

I think we really need to have a better support for this product in 
order to get it included in the recents Linux or Unix distributions.

Regards,

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------
Alain RICHARD <mailto:[email-masked]>
EQUATION SA <http://www.equation.fr/>
Tel : +33 477 79 48 00	 Fax : +33 477 79 48 01
Applications client/serveur, ingénierie réseau et Linux

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:09:56 -0500 (CDT)

Richard:

I hear you load and clear! I'm quite frustrated with the development of
Netatalk as well. I would dearly love to use this program in an enterprise
situation along with Samba to replace one of our NT boxes with a Linux
box.

I barely know any C programming and nearly fell asleep looking at an
AppleShare spec publication. There was talk a few weeks ago about putting
Netatalk out on sourceforge.com (I have no idea what this is or how this
solves our problem). Me thinks Adrian is pretty busy at Cobalt these
days, so I don't know if we'll see much more work from him. God bless the
work he's done so far.

I would volunteer as much time as I could to providing development support
for this program. Perhaps a group of long-time users of this program can
form a steering commitee and purpose a sound method of developing this
product further.

Many educational institutions are stuffed to the gills with Macintosh
clients. This product, further developed, would be a dream-come-true for
Sysadmins working in a mixed OS environment.

I'll shut up now...

Daniel E. Lautenschleger
University of Wisconsin
R.M. Bock Laboratories
Network Administrator and Computer Support
[email-masked]
608.262.3403

---

From: Ray Zimmerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 09:00:00 -0400

At 1:23 PM +0200 7/19/00, Alain RICHARD wrote:
>on it.

<snip>

>  What do you think about opening a sourceforge.net projet

I hesitate to respond since I'm not likely to be a contributor to the 
development, but last time this issue was raised on the list, I don't 
remember seeing anything but support for the idea.

	Ray

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 09:20:07 -0400

I have an account on sourceforge.com .  We could probably 
create a new project with little trouble.  I just don't want to hurt 
Adrian's feelings.  Does anyone know his e-mail?  [email-masked] 
?   Does anyone know him well enough to call?  Heck, I'll try to 
contact him if nobody else can.

	Ryan

At 9:00 -0400 19/7/2000, Ray Zimmerman wrote:
>I hesitate to respond since I'm not likely to be a contributor to 
>the development, but last time this issue was raised on the list, I 
>don't remember seeing anything but support for the idea.
>
>	Ray

__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
__________________________________
If you want to achieve excellence, you can get there today. As of 
this second, quit doing less-than-excellent work.
-Thomas Watson, founder of IBM