Subject: Re: netatalk.com

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 14:53:09 -0700

Hi Jeff,

I'm the "Steve" in Netatalk.com. :-)

I just wanted to drop you a note thanking you for taking a leadership 
role with Netatalk. I can't code at all, so I've been frustrated in my 
desire to see Netatalk moving again.

As Microsoft shows the victory of marketing over technical prowess, we'd 
like to publicize the site (sourceforge.net/projects/netatalk) *after* it 
has been 'filled in' a bit.

What I'm thinking of is that we need:

1. A short text explaining the history of Netatalk and its status 
(perhaps the lowdown on -37b and -39, and hopefully a 1.5 release)

2. Some up-to-date install docs which include a discussion of *ALL* the 
relevant compile time switches/mods, how to enable authentication, etc. 
These docs don't have to be perfect, they can just be a start.

3. Obviously downloadable copies of all the stuff mentioned. Source, of 
course. And I think we need RPMs for Redhat. It would be nice if we could 
get Mandrake-, Caldera-, LinuxPPC-specific RPMs and so on, but RPMs for 
Redhat would, in my mind, constitute the minimum required offering.

4. A links list to various installation info resources.

5. A plea for developers to sign up to help.

Can anybody else think of more than this? I'd be happy to write most of 
this up and submit it to the list for vetting, but I won't be able to 
handle #2 -- I can't even compile -39 with randnum! Can someone else 
volunteer to do that?

For an example of an install doc which illustrates what I'm thinking 
about, see:

http://lindy.stanford.edu/~ssklar/netatalk-setup.html

Steve Freitas