Subject: <no subject>

From: "John Arends" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 18:39:49 -0500

If I put a ~ in my AppleVolumes.default file, it will allow users to mount
their home directory after logging into the server. Doing this uses the
user's name for the name of the volume.

If I like, I can change the name by specifying one, however it is then the
same for all users. This would be something along the lines of:

~ "My Files"

I would really like to use the user's name along with some other data so
that they can easily tell which server they are on, yet it also includes
their name to prevent confusing.

The name of the volume would then be something like "myserver.myname" or
"myname's files"

Anyone have any idea how to do this if it is possible?

-----
John Arends
[email-masked]

Windows95/98/NT (noun): 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16 bit
patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit
microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of
competition

---

From: Philip Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 20:34:47 -0400

You could put a customized AppleVolumes in each users home directory
instead of using a global AppleVolumes. I do the editing by hand since I
have so few users, but you may be able to get a script to automate the
process. You could even use the users real name and not login name to this
way.

Just my 2 cents.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 07:04:39 -0700 (PDT)

> Anyone have any idea how to do this if it is possible?

This should be easy with the latest pre-releases of netatalk (asun2.1.4).
Here is the relevant documentation from the AppleVolumes.default file:

# variable substitutions:
# you can use variables for both <path> and <name> now. here are the
# rules:
#     1) if you specify an unknown variable, it will not get converted. 
#     2) if you specify a known variable, but that variable doesn't have
#        a value, it will get ignored.
#
# the variables:
# $c   -> client's ip or appletalk address
# $f   -> full name (whatever's in the gecos field)
# $g   -> group
# $h   -> hostname 
# $s   -> server name (can be the hostname)
# $u   -> username (if guest, it's whatever user guest is running as)
# $v   -> volume name (either ADEID_NAME or basename of path)
# $z   -> zone (may not exist)
# $$   -> $

	Andy