Subject: Desktop Icon

From: Stew Benedict <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:32:53 -0500

What drives the desktop icon for the share?  I just finished setting up
Netatalk on Sun Solaris, and I notice a different icon than my Linux
server.  Can these be replaced with something more colorful?

Thanks,
Stew Benedict

---

From: Basil Hussain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 18:06:04 +0000

Hi,

> server.  Can these be replaced with something more colorful?

Well, all I can say is that through 3 different versions of Netatalk I've
had installed, I've experienced 3 different types of icon - but only with
MacOS greater than 8.5 on the client-side (lesser versions give all network
shares the same icon).

With some version of 1.4asun (forget which, exactly) I got black and white
globe icons, with the initial 1.4.99 version I got the normal icon depicting
a networked hard drive and with the version dated 8th November I get the
same icon, but with a little globe in the corner.

I have no idea what dictates what icon is used, but all I can say is that it
seems to be directly related to Netatalk, rather than MacOS on the client
side.

Regards,

------------------------------------------------
Basil Hussain ([email-masked])

---

From: Stew Benedict <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 13:26:47 -0500

That's what I figured, that it's driven by netatalk.  I get the Black and
White globe on the Linux servers, and on the Sun, a Sun logo.  I saw a
BSD'ish looking color logo on one of the Howto pages.

Thanks,
Stew Benedict

---

From: Matthew Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 11:09:31 -0800 (PST)

the icons are in hex form in {sourcetree}/etc/afpd/icon.h

there is then an option in afpd.conf:

  -icon               Use the platform-specific icon.

you can also say -noicon to let the client decide

of course, I've never tried this, since I like the one that shows up now
:)

Matthew

---

From: Dick Visser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 15:25:22 +0100 (CET)

> server.  Can these be replaced with something more colorful?

Yes. Do a "get info" on the volume, click on the pic, and paste another 
pic onto it. How about this one I made in a dull moment:

http://www.tienhuis.nl/hoe.html

-- 

Dick Visser