Subject: Samba and Netatalk Support

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 07:11:17 -0500 (CDT)

The netatalk support in Samba was
put in so that when Samba and Netatalk are sharing the same directory
structure out to both Windows and MacOS users, the Windows users would be
able to move file around, change permissions, etc, without losing the
MacOS-specific file information (the resource forks, which Netatalk stores
in .AppleDouble directories).

Some of this support was written, but not all of it (just some support
functions).

-Dan

Daniel E. Lautenschleger
University of Wisconsin
R.M. Bock Laboratories
Network Administrator and Computer Support

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:51:37 -0400

> structure out to both Windows and MacOS users, the Windows users would be

Samba is pain...  You can't maintain multi level permissions with Samba.
For example, with Share1 drive, files are created and chmod'd based on the
directory permission.  You can only have one permission set through out the
whole share in Samba.

Alex

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 10:11:39 -0400

> directory permission.  You can only have one permission set through out the

	This is only partially true. If you're using *SHARE* level permissions,
you may only have one permission set, but if you're using User Level
permissions (preferably in combination with Server or Domain
authentication models), you can micromanage permissions down to the file
level, and have a myriad of permissions within a "share".

-- 

 Matthew Keller
 WebMaster & Lead Programmer/Analyst
 Distributed Computing/Telemedia
 Information Services Division
 State University of New York at Potsdam
 
 Website: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/
 PGP: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/crypto/
 Webcam:  http://webcam.mattwork.potsdam.edu:85/

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 09:51:37 -0400

Alex

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 10:11:39 -0400

-- 

 Matthew Keller