Subject: atalkd problems

From: "Alex Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 16:17:19 +0100

I'm trying to install Netatalk on my Slackware 4.0 box. I finally got it to
compile cleanly last night - but now I've got problems. Every time I run
atalkd, even after a restart or a power-off restart or after a

zinc:# rmmod appletalk; insmod
appletalk

i get the following error to the console:
AppleTalk not up! Child exited with 1.

and in syslog
atalkd[246]: bind 0.0:1: Address already in use

which from the FAQ suggests an - already running copy of atalkd.

Problem is that it is not already running. I've removed every instance of
atalkd or anything to do with the netatalk distribution from the startup
files and ps -aux does not list it running.

I've checked the NIC is MULTICAST with ifconfig. (D-Link DFE530TX Rev. A
using VIA-RHINE driver)

The netatalk version is the newest release.

What else could be going wrong - I get this error with both my "roll your
own" compile and the Slackware package.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex