Subject: codepage mac <-> pc

From: Phil Wenzlawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 11:18:24 +0200

hi there !

first i want to shortly introduce myself:
i'm a 28-years old system admin from cologne/germany.
i've 20 macs, 25 pc and some nt-server on my lan. i've just added
a linux-box runing a software-raid, netatalk and samba to the net.

i'm pretty new to this group, and so my question is maybe a faq !?

i want to give pc-user read-access (samba) to the same files as the
mac-users (netatalk). and i want to get rid of the problem with
different codepages. the german-umlauts are always different :(

maybe someone have a clue for me ?

thanks & l8er

phil

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 14:17:00 +0200

>different codepages. the german-umlauts are always different :(

Have you had a look at the options from within samba?
Have you had a look at the codepage facility of netatalk?

:wq! PoC

---

From: Phil Wenzlawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 13:30:06 +0200

> Have you had a look at the codepage facility of netatalk?

thanks man,

i took a deeper look in this issues. finally i managed to get all
systems to work with the same character sets (linux, mac & pc)

in the 'smb.conf' i made these entries:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
character set = ISO8859-1
veto files = /.AppleDouble/.bin/.AppleDesktop/Network Trash
Folder/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/Icon?/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the veto files are to hide the apple/netatalk specific files from
the pc-users. so they have a good looking view of the shares.

in the 'AppleVolumes.default' file i made this entries:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/srv/raid5/CD-Archiv "CD-Archiv" options=noadouble
codepage=maccode.iso8859-1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this all works very fine for me on my german-customised (suse 6.4) linux
:))

thanks for all on the list!

phil

---

From: Jean ARHAINX <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 15:36:18 +0200

Hi,

Hello, I have a problem with the network trash folder. 
On one of the macintosh trash there is a file unavailable which is not any
more effacable.
 I can't see on the Unix server in the network trash folder . 

Is it possible of delete the network trash folder  without consequences
(with rm -rf) ?

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 17:20:06 +0200

>Is it possible of delete the network trash folder  without consequences

Yes, you can. Make sure that this volume is not mounted from any Mac.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Xavier DEBACKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:22:06 +0200

> maybe someone have a clue for me ?

these examples may work:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

netatalk: /usr/local/etc/AppleVolumes.default
- ---------

/local/atalk/Foo "Foo" codepage=maccode.iso8859-1 access=@foogrp

samba: /etc/samba/smb.conf
- ------

#Global parameters

         client code page = 437

[Foo]

         create mask = 0770
         directory mask = 0770
         veto files = /.AppleDouble/.AppleDesktop/Network Trash
Folder/DesktopFolderDB/resource.frk/
         mangled names = No

-
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Phil Wenzlawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 17:44:17 +0200

hi xavier !

> these examples may work:

yes it's true ! they work !! thanks a lot !!!

kind regards

phil wenzlawski