Subject: We love DHX. As for Samba...

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:53:09 -0700 (PDT)

We use NIS for most of our password validation, so we've been very pleased
with the availability of DHX login encryption.  Now, I know this is a bit
off-topic, but I wasn't sure if the SMB folks would even know what DHX
was.  Is there a way to have the password encrypted during transmission to
be compared to the NIS database?  (I'm told it would be a relatively
simple matter if our passwords were in the /etc/passwd file)

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 18:19:47 -0700 (PDT)

> simple matter if our passwords were in the /etc/passwd file)

I'm not sure what you are asking here exactly...

If you are asking if you can DHX encrypted mac logins with NIS, then the
answer is yes.  The DHX module should use regular getXXbyYY calls, which
will include NIS information.  This works with PAM as well.

	Andy

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:00:04 +1100

> will include NIS information.  This works with PAM as well.

 If you mean 'why doesnt samba use DHX and thus not need the smbpasswd
file', blame M$. Apple provided multiple authentication methods and the
latest one is good for Unix systems, Apples' 'Rannum' can't be used with
the Unix password file either. Samba however has to work with the Lanman
hash system M$ uses.  If you want to use NIS with windows NT (and Samba)
there is a replacement 'GINA' that uses NIS for authentication not M$
domain protocol. However the replacement doesnt have the same
functionality as the M$ domain authentication module.

-- 
Matthew Geier			[email-masked]
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713
Sydney University

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:29:33 -0400

> simple matter if our passwords were in the /etc/passwd file)

	SMB uses its own MD5-based encryption which is much "more better" than
DHX from a cryptological standpoint.

-- 

 Matthew Keller
 WebMaster & Lead Programmer/Analyst
 Distributed Computing/Telemedia
 Information Services Division
 State University of New York at Potsdam
 
 Website: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/
 PGP: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/crypto/
 Webcam:  http://webcam.mattwork.potsdam.edu:85/