Subject: dropped connections

From: Philip Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 08:58:27 -0400

I have been getting a lot of errors on my macs of the form:

The file server's connection has unexpectedly shutdown.

Does anyone know what is causing this and how to prevent it? It usually
occurs with anything more than a light network load.

---

From: "Lancaster, David Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:47:43 -0300 (ADT)

Long shot, but you're not using IP NAT anywhere are you? I ran into a
situation where IP Net Router (www.sustworks.com) was allocating
statically mapped ports to dynamic clients, causing race conditions which
resulted in the same sort of random-ly sporadic dropped connections,
only when there was sufficient traffic. Just thought I'd mention it.

David Lancaster                       (506) 454-2167
  690 Gregg Ct.                       Upper Apartment
  Fredericton, NB  Canada             E3B 4H5
  [email-masked]       "Don't anthropomorphize computers, they hate that."

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 18:57:02 +0200

>occurs with anything more than a light network load.

What's in the syslog it such a thing happens?
Which version of netatalk are you using?
On which platform?
Please tell details on your Mac-side configuration.

You know, we've no crystal balls to read... :-)

:wq! PoC

---

From: Philip Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 19:27:21 -0400

I am running RedHat Linux 6.1 on P75
Netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3

Log messages are similar to:
May 31 18:05:48 ci962334-a afpd[732]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
May 31 18:05:58 ci962334-a afpd[732]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection
timed out

Macs are 68030's with system 7.5 and OpenTransport

One PowerMac with system 8.1

All macs connecting over appletalk (ddp) only at the moment.

Appears to occur most often when macintosh involved/and or network has a
moderate to high load.

I do have NAT with IPnetRouter on the network, but afp connections do not
go through it.

Would it be possible to increase the time out? This only happened once to a
mac to mac connection in a  case with very high loads on the network.

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:15:10 +0200

>May 31 18:05:58 ci962334-a afpd[732]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection

Perhaps you have a general probblem with your network.
I know cheap Hubs which loose link status under heavy load on more than one port.

:wq! PoC