Subject: Re: Modules not loading with asun2.1.4pre39

From: Rob Bos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 14:16:30 -0800

Okay.. I'm having the prezact same problem as described in this message
several months ago - only those two modules will load, and none else will.  I'm
running with shadow passwords enabled, PAM disabled, on netatalk-1.4.99. -
otherwise, it's a default installation.

Exhausting the archives of this maillist pretty thoroughly didn't pull up any
answers to this problem, I'm hoping that jeff managed to solve it.

Either way, can I get suggestions?

Rob Bos

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000 Dejan Muhamedagic  wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 09:08:09PM +0000, jeff b wrote:
> > For one reason or another, none of my UAMs will load, with the exceptions
> > of uams_randnum.so and uams_guest.so
> >
> > All uams in the directory were specified (with one exception, in each
> > case), and yet only those two modules were loaded.
>
> Do you mean specified in the startup file as arguments to afpd?
> Are you definitely sure that this is the case?  Because, if an UAM
> can't be loaded then an error message should be issued.  You
> should be able to see how afpd was started by using 'ps auxw |
> grep afpd' and looking at the process which is running as root.
> Or trace (set -x) the startup script.
>
> If UAMs are specified on the line, don't load and there are no
> error messages than I'm in a complete dark.

The UAMs were specified in the netatalk.conf script (which is passed as -U
[modules]) and also in the
afpd configuration file. They don't load.

I have only been checking /var/log/messages for errors, of which there are
none.

I ldd'd the modules, and it turns out that uams_randnum.so and uams_guest.so
(the two modules that work)
are for some reason statically

linked. Any idea why they are, or why this could be causing problems? Even the
cleartext modules aren't
working. I didn't see anything in the

etc/uams/Makefile to indicate static compilation of specific modules...

-- 
Rob Bos, rbos@{sandwich.net,linux.com}, part of the vanguard into the future

Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name.
	Thy programs run, thy syscalls done,
	In kernel as it is in user!

---

From: Rob Bos <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 16:53:55 -0800

> answers to this problem, I'm hoping that jeff managed to solve it.

Okay, that was _unspecific_ and very unhelpful; here's a little more useful
information. ;P

The problem is as follows: starting afpd will only load a few of the modules
specified in afpd.conf; specifically, (after a bit of experimentation)
uams_randnum and uams_guest - guest users can log in and such, but regular
users can't.

Furthermore, the uam_clrtxt.so module seems to be missing _entirely_ and I
can't, from looking at makefiles and configure scripts, figure out how to make
it show up.  strings *so | grep clrtxt indicates that uam_passwd might
reference it, but uam_passwd doesn't load either.

/var/log/messages, on starting atalkd:

Nov  7 17:25:49 server atalkd[7318]: restart (1.5)
Nov  7 17:25:50 server atalkd[7318]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Nov  7 17:26:09 server last message repeated 2 times
Nov  7 17:26:19 server atalkd[7318]: config for no router
Nov  7 17:26:20 server atalkd[7318]: ready 0/0/0                  

/var/log/messages, on starting afpd:

Nov  7 17:27:17 server afpd[7329]: server:AFPServer@* started on 65280.128:128
(1.5)
Nov  7 17:27:17 server afpd[7329]: ASIP started on 192.168.34.58:548(2) (1.5)
Nov  7 17:27:17 server afpd[7329]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
Nov  7 17:27:17 server afpd[7329]: uam: "No User Authent" available
Nov  7 17:27:23 server afpd[7329]: server:AFPServer@* started on 65280.128:129
(1.5)
Nov  7 17:27:23 server afpd[7329]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
Nov  7 17:27:23 server afpd[7329]: uam: "No User Authent" available
Nov  7 17:27:29 server afpd[7329]: server:AFPServer@* started on 65280.128:130
(1.5)
Nov  7 17:27:29 server afpd[7329]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
Nov  7 17:27:29 server afpd[7329]: uam: "No User Authent" available     

I'm leery about this having attempted to load uams_guest.so twice. :P

/var/log/syslog, on starting afpd:

Nov  7 17:27:23 server afpd[7329]: main: dsi_init: Address already in use

/etc/atalk/afpd.conf: 

-uampath /etc/atalk/uams/
-uamlist uams_guest.so,uams_passwd.so,uams_dhx_passwd.so,uams_clrtxt.so
# uams_clrtxt.so missing entirely?  the heck?
-guestname "ftp" 

/etc/atalk/netatalk.conf:  (minus comments)

AFPD_MAX_CLIENTS=20
ATALK_NAME=`echo ${HOSTNAME}|cut -d. -f1`
AFPD_GUEST=ftp
ATALKD_RUN=yes
PAPD_RUN=yes
AFPD_RUN=yes
ATALK_BGROUND=no       

Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology:
	There's always one more bug.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 23:38:21 -0800 (PST)

> reference it, but uam_passwd doesn't load either.

I think this is a known problem with the sourceforge netatalk
installation.  Your uams directory should look something like this:

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           11 Aug  7 21:03 uams_clrtxt.so ->
uams_pam.so
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           15 Aug  7 21:03 uams_dhx.so ->
uams_dhx_pam.so
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       164401 Oct  7 08:50 uams_dhx_pam.so
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       191453 Oct  7 08:50 uams_dhx_passwd.so
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        20602 Oct  7 08:50 uams_guest.so
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        31654 Oct  7 08:50 uams_pam.so
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        56016 Oct  7 08:50 uams_passwd.so
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root        62122 Oct  7 08:50 uams_randnum.so

Notice the soft links at the top.  These do not get created during the
installation.  You should create these manually.

	Andy

---

From: Rob Bos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:11:43 -0800

> installation.  You should create these manually.

Ah hah-- I noticed that uams_passwd.so contained references to uams_clrtxt.so,
and uams_dhx_passwd.so contained references to uams_dhx.so.  Creating symbolic
links did the trick. :)

arigatoo!

In fiction the recourse of the powerless is murder;
in life the recourse of the powerless is petty theft.