Subject: Re: Commercial alternative to Netatalk?

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:03:14 -0700

>KAshare took lots of dinking
>and never did work perfectly.

That's interesting. Apple is using it to host their iTools free storage 
service.

Steve Freitas

---

From: "Michael R. Jinks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 18:01:00 -0500

*shrug*

"YMMV" should probably go around every post I send out, but I swear 'tis true;
we were on the phone with them many times, sent them logs, etc., finally
gave up after the debugging process was just getting too expensive.  I will
say that they didn't give up on us, they went so far as to send us a 
cusomized version of their software for debugging.  I now think that we might
not have been on their latest version either, but our willingness to pay for
an upgrade was diminished by the trouble we had with the version we were on,
especially after DAVE worked well for us (allowing us to drop atalk altogether) 
and after NetAtalk worked with minimal fuss in those cases where we had to
keep Apple filesharing on line.

I never said KAshare wouldn't work for anyone, just that it didn't work for
us, and if the question is "NetAtalk won't work perfectly for everyone out of
the box, do you know of anything that does?" then I can't say that the answer
is KAshare.

-m

-- 
Michael Jinks, IB
Systems Administrator, Chicago Center for Computational Psychology
finger [email-masked] for public key
A guiding voice for all humanity: http://www.yellow5.com/pokey/