Subject: netatalk for production use

From: Brice Ruth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:08:23 -0600

Greetings.

I'm setting up a netatalk server that will be used in a production 
environment - I need to know which code-base to use.  I've already 
gathered that its best I use the 2.2.x series kernel, so I'm using 
2.2.17 (with ReiserFS).  I've checked out the latest netatalk from CVS - 
is this OK to use or is there a 'stable' release I should use instead?

Cheers,

-- 
Brice Ruth
WebProjkt, Inc.
VP, Director of Internet Technology
http://www.webprojkt.com/

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:40:57 -0500

> is this OK to use or is there a 'stable' release I should use instead?

	I recommend 1.4B2+asun2.1.4, myself for critical systems. The latest
CVS is still "pre-1.5" (although I *am* using it on some production
machines, don't tell my clients. ;)
	Unfortunately this release is not available off of sourceforge, but is
off of Cobalt's FTP site..
ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com:/pub/users/asun/testing/pre-asun2.1.4-39_test.tar.gz

-- 

 Matthew Keller
 WebMaster, Interim Network Manager & 
   Host Systems Analyst
 Distributed Computing/Telemedia
 Information Services Division
 State University of New York at Potsdam
 
 Website: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/
 PGP: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/crypto/
 Webcam:  http://webcam.mattwork.potsdam.edu:85/

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:37:10 -0600 (CST)

Hmmm. I don't no if the current release is something I would run in an
enterprise-wide environment. No offense, just proceed cautiously :-)

-Dan

---

From: Brice Ruth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 11:51:11 -0600

Thanx for the responses - I'll go with this one.

-Brice

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:00:11 -0500

One note-- This relase isn't "considered" stable, but its been
around/used for a long while, and I've tortured the hell out of it.
YMMV, as always.

-- 

 Matthew Keller