Subject: printer not showing up

From: BWS - Offwhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:47:45 -0500 (CDT)

I am unable to get the printer to show up in the MacOS chooser.  I am
having many problems in general with setting up printing.

My OS is FreeBSD3.4-STABLE and print is an HP LaserJet 5Si.  I have
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 installed and it is working fine for everything
else.

I was able to print a plain text file to the printer with the lp command a
while ago, but now it seems to be messed up again.  I changed the
ownership of the files incorrectly possibly.  They were owned by root, but
changed them to daemon:daemon as I read from some documentation.

Here is my /etc/printcap

laser|lp|HP LaserJet on AppleTalk:\
                  :sd=/var/spool/lpd/laser:\
                  :lp=/var/spool/lpd/laser/null:\
                  :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:pw#80:hl:\
                  :of=/usr/local/libexec/filters/ofpap:\
                  :if=/usr/local/libexec/filters/ifpaprev:\
                  :tf=/usr/local/libexec/filters/tfpaprev:\
                  :df=/usr/local/libexec/filters/dfpaprev:

The spool directory is set up and the filters are in place where is wants
them.

> ls -laR /var/spool/lpd/laser/
total 12
drwxrwx---  2 daemon  daemon       512 Jul 10 20:45 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 root    daemon       512 Jul  9 20:25 ..
-rwxrwx---  1 daemon  daemon        34 Jul 10 19:39 .paprc
-rw-r----x  1 daemon  daemon         4 Jul 10 20:45 .seq
-rw-rw----  1 daemon  daemon        32 Jul 10 20:45 lock
crw-rw-rw-  1 daemon  daemon    2,   2 Jul 10 20:45 null
-rw-rw-r--  1 daemon  daemon        28 Jul 10 20:45 status

My .paprc file is empty as it suggests my system does not need to specify
the PPD file, so have left it blank.

Is it obvious what I am doing wrong?  Can someone tell mw how I can get it
working?  Do you need more info?

Thanks for the help,

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?
http://www.greasydaemon.com/noms/ <- Why avoid MS?

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 19:51:39 -0700 (PDT)

> working?  Do you need more info?

Your message is a little confusing.  Are you trying to get your printer to
show up in your Mac's chooser, or are you trying to print to your
Appletalk printer?  These are separate operations with regard to netatalk
programs.

Can you explain in general terms what you are trying to do?  (i.e. print
to HP LaserJet 5si from a mac, through the unix server).

Glad to help, but I'll need some clarification...

	Andy

---

From: BWS - Offwhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 21:55:59 -0500 (CDT)

I am first simply trying to get it set up so that the Unix box can print,
and it did it once so I know it can do that, but I changed the config
somehow and now it won't work.

Once I know the print spooler from Unix works, I would like to allow all
Macs on the network to use the Unix box as a print spooler.  I have done
this before, but I forget how I got it working exactly.

I believe that I need to set the rm and rp printcap settings, but I am not
sure what those need to be.  I am now going to move the networking around
and let the Mac tell me te correct IP for the printer so I can start over
with that information.

I will get it eventually.  Any help is appreciated.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:32:38 -0700 (PDT)

> and let the Mac tell me te correct IP for the printer so I can start over

Okay, like you said, let's start by getting it to work from unix first.
See my comments below.

> > >                   :df=/usr/local/libexec/filters/dfpaprev:

You only need the ofpap, ifpap, etc if you are printing to an Appletalk
printer, i.e. over the Appletalk protocol instead of TCP/IP.  Here is what
I would use for an HP Laserjet 5si:

laser|lp|HP LaserJet on AppleTalk:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/laser:\
	:rp=raw:\
	:rm=10.0.0.1:\
	:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:pw#80:hl:

Replace the "rm" value with your printer's IP address.

	Andy

---

From: BWS - Offwhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:57:39 -0500 (CDT)

I have tried what you suggested and ran the following commands...

cd /etc/
lp -d laser printcap

That results in a page where the text does not show up after the first two
because the carriage return characters are not in that file.  I imagine it
would like a filter in there, but at least I know it can print now.

Thanks for the help so far.

Now I would like to get the Unix/Netatalk print spooler to show up in the
MacOS chooser.  What do I need to do?

---

From: BWS - Offwhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 23:27:14 -0500 (CDT)

I should also tell you have I have 2 NIC cards in this box.  It is acting
as a gateway from the private network to the building network.  Everyone
in the building shares a common printer which we want to use, despite our
macs being behing the gateway.

So that is why I need the Unix box to act as the print spooler.  It is the
single point which can see the printer and all the internal computers
which want to print.  If I can get the interal computers to spool their
print jobs on the server and then get the server to print the jobs on the
external printer I will be all set.

My atalkd.conf has two device names.

xl0 -phase 2 -net 65280-65534 -addr 65280.89
xl1 -phase 2 -net 65280-65534 -addr 0.0

If I am unable to connect to it from the outside, that is fine.  The main
problem at hand is printing.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 23:13:19 -0700 (PDT)

> MacOS chooser.  What do I need to do?

Your papd.conf should look like:

laser:\
	:pr=|/usr/bin/lp -d laser:

This creates a printer in the default zone named "laser".  It calls the
"lp" program to print.  You may need to change the path to "lp".

	Andy

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 23:15:29 -0700 (PDT)

> xl1 -phase 2 -net 65280-65534 -addr 0.0

This seems wrong.  You can't have an address which is outside the
netrange.  Try change the address for xl1 to "-addr 65280.90" or
something.

The only problem I can forsee is that I don't know which interface (or
both?) the printer would appear on.  I guess you'll have to try to find
out...

	Andy

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 09:03:23 -0700

It's time for that questions again:

Now, while the installed version of Cobalt's Linux is a modified version of
RedHat, to the point of being proprietary (since you can't just update from
RedHat RPMs), are there any, and what are they, differences to the nersion
of netatalk Cobalt ships?

Harry