Subject: RedHat 6.2 and Netatalk

From: "Michael Cartmel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 18:25:09 +1000

Hi,

Just installed RedHat 6.2 on a machine here and I'm getting a wierd problem with Netatalk. I've set up everything as default, nothing changed at all except the AppleVolumes.system which I changed to point to the raid array. Any user on a G3 or G4 mac can see the server and communicate with it quite happily, however anyone on an older mac, like say a 7100, can see the server in chooser but when they try to connect they get an error 'unable to connect to server'. 

Can anyone tell me why only the new macs are working?

        Cheers,    -mic

P.S. I used the exact same setup on an almost identical machine except with RedHat 6.1 as the source.

--------------------------------
Technical Developer
Magian Design Studio
Hawthorn, Melbourne - Australia
www.magiandesignstudio.com
+61 (3) 9819 3401

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 10:03:49 -0700

> Can anyone tell me why only the new macs are working?

My guess would be that your older Macs don't have an updated version of
AppleShare (v3.8.3 and above), since that's the only situation I could think
might be different on an age-related criteria.

If you're running it on RedHat 6.2, be sure you did what my signature
suggests.

Harry
-- 
CAN'T SEE MAC IN CHOOSER UNDER RedHat 6.2: If you get errors starting
AppleTalk under RedHat 6.2 and Mandrake 7.1, you need to manually add "alias
net-pf-5 appletalk" to your /etc/conf.modules file.