Subject: Newbie install question

From: "Morgan Reed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 15:38:37 -0400

Alright, I have multilayered problems / incompetencies here:

Outline:

I have a 486 laptop which I would like to use to be able to allow my wife's
win dows machine to speak to my IIg printer which is hooked up to our little
home network via Ethertalk.
THe laptop has Debian 2.1 installed, and card services loaded.  I can ping
out, serve web pages with apache and all other TCP/IP things I have tried.

I am using the netatalk atalk installed with debian 2.1 dselect, during
startup, I get the message "Starting AppleTalk daemons (this will take a
while): atalkd afpd papd"  so I think it is starting up alright, but then my
luck runs out:

1.  Before I made changes to services, if I dmesg | grep Apple, I got the
proper response (Appletalk 0.17 for linux NET3.035).  Now that I changed the
services as the howto guide suggests, I get no response at all. it just
pauses for a moment, then gives me a new bash prompt.  If I lsmod I show the
appletalk module loaded.

2.  If I getzones, I get an error saying either atp_rresp:  Connection timed
out, or atp_open: Cannot assign requested address( I havn't seen that last
error since I set services)

3.  Debian dselect did not make a /usr/local/atalk directory, instead  the
netatalk stuff is in /etc/netatalk.  there is no directory atalk at all in
/usr/local.  should I make one and cp the stuff into it?  even though I seem
to have (or did have) appletalk loaded?

One of the things that confuses me is how the heck am I supposed to be able
to get zones when I have not created any zones (or have I?)  I don't have it
connected to my mac currently but I do have the IIg on the network.
Additionally, if I ifconig, I don't show any changes to eth0 that would
suggest an Appletalk connection.  How does the eth0 appear differnt after
atalk is running?

If I nbplkup  I get the following response:

Linuxbox2:AFPServer			65280.213.128
Linuxbox2:netatalk			65280.213.4
Linuxbox2:Workstaion			65280.213.4
MMLab IIg:LaserWriter			44426.200.128

also if I papstatus -p "MMLab IIg"  I get the correct, status: idle response

Where LinuxBox2 is the name of my laptop.  SO it can see the printer....but
now what?

I don't want to serve files, I don't want to even have my mac be able to
access the box.  All I want is to set up the linuxbox to be a damn print
server/spooler.

Questions:
1.  do I need to getzones
2.does it matter that when I do getzones I get the timeout response and I
get no changes in eth0?
3.  will I run into problems with not having netatalk in the
usr/local/direcotry?

On a side note, when I got apsfilter from dslesct, it kept wanting to
install Xfree  as past of gs.  I don't want X of any sort on this box (the
hd is small and memory is low.  Since the IIg is a postscript printer, do I
even need gs (which, I am assuming is ghostscript, right?)

I am planning to use lprng and apsfilter. anyone had results with a IIg and
this setup?

Thanks for enduring this lengthy, muddled post.

Morgan

---

From: "David Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 16:55:06 -0300

> pauses for a moment, then gives me a new bash prompt.  If I lsmod I show
the

Is it possible that the laptop has been up for so long the the dmesg file
has rolled over and the bootup messages are gone? What's the laptop's
uptime?

> error since I set services)

Don't worry, this is normal (AFAIK) for installations with no zones.  I get
the same results.

> to have (or did have) appletalk loaded?

Ummm...my Redhat RPM did a similar thing (/etc/atalk), and it didn't cause
any problems....unless you upgrade and compile new source code yourself, in
which case remember to copy your config files to the standard directory.
(or change the source to point where you want)

> MMLab IIg:LaserWriter 44426.200.128

Sounds like it's up and running fine...

> access the box.  All I want is to set up the linuxbox to be a damn print

I have a similar setup.  Linux (RH6) box is a printer spooler for an
Appletalk printer (L IIG in fact :)
Windows boxen talk to the shared printer over Samba (SMB Windows File/Print
Sharing).

> 1.  do I need to getzones

AFAIK, No.

> 2.does it matter that when I do getzones I get the timeout response and I

No.

> 3.  will I run into problems with not having netatalk in the

No.

> I am planning to use lprng and apsfilter. anyone had results with a IIg
and

I have no experience with this.  It may be harder/easier than what I did.
I found that once you setup and install Samba, it's fairly straightfoward to
get it to share a printer.  Getting lpd to talk to an Appletalk printer is a
bit more involved...but works well once it's done.  I didn't require
apsfilter.  Windows has drivers for II NT/NTX/G that seem to work fine, and
I used psf and symbolic links to parse non-PS input.

> Thanks for enduring this lengthy, muddled post.

That's what the list is for....I just wish I'd known about it when I'd been
hacking my head against pap and lpd. :)

D.

---

From: "Morgan Reed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 16:40:52 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: David Lancaster [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2000 3:55 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Newbie install question

Ok, I  have some followup printing questions that may be right up your
alley.  IN the HowTo for setting up the Printer using Appletalk (a very good
overal HowTO BTW)  it says you need to make a file ".paprc" so the linuxbox
will see the printer by its name.  since I don't have a zone, should I put
the Atalk number in there?  or just p[ut in the name and not put anything
the name.  i.e.

ae /var/spool/LaserWriterIIg/.paprc
MMLab IIg :Laserwriter

will that do the trick?

AFAIK, No.

No.

No.

D.

---

From: "David Lancaster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 17:37:53 -0300

> ae /var/spool/LaserWriterIIg/.paprc

MMLab IIg  should be fine.   Should be able to do a papstatus -p "MMLab
IIg", and if this works, thats what you need.

D.

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 22:26:19 -0700

So, I'm hearing differing opinions regarding the last three versions in the
testing directory. I know -37 works just fine, as I was able to compile and
install it with success. I had trouble with -39. I hear that -38 and -39
contain stuff that is disabled, or nont-working, versus -37 that supposedly
works just peachy.

Could someone, in the know (preferably asun), respond and explain the
differences between all of these, and which one is the prefered version to
install under a REDHAT 6.2 installation?

Thanks,

Harry