Subject: Atalk and zones, HELP!!

From: TimY <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:03:25 -0700

I am trying like mad to get several machines to show up in specific 
zones.  I have tried everything to my knowledge to get this to work 
properly.  Everything else works great.

Machine info:
Red Hat 6.2 on an amd k62-475
netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7 rpm
kernel is 2.2.14 or custom 2.2.16 ( both have this problem )

atalkd.conf
eth0 -phase 2 -net 204 -addr 204.42 -zone "Admin Zone" -zone "Design 
Ether" -zone "Marketing
Ether" -zone "Twilight Zone" -zone "Editorial Ether" -zone "Accounting Ether"

I want this machine to show up in the zone "Twilight Zone". every 
time I try to put the following line in the atalkd.conf it changes it 
back to what is listed above.

eth0 -phase 2 -net 204 -addr 204.42 -zone "Twilight Zone"

This is what I try with no avail.  It always changes it back.

This is my config file that is in /etc/atalk
# Appletalk configuration
# Change this to increase the maximum number of clients that can connect:
AFPD_MAX_CLIENTS=5
# Change this to set the machine's atalk name:
ATALK_NAME=`echo ${HOSTNAME}|cut -d. -f1`
# Set which daemons to run:
PAPD_RUN=yes
AFPD_RUN=yes
# Control whether the daemons are started in the background
ATALK_BGROUND=no

This i have not changed.

I have nothing in afpd.conf

We have two seed routers on the network.  This should not be a 
problem.  Please let me know if anyone has any ideas as to why this 
is happening.  Am I just doing this wrong?

Also, does anyone know where to get the most current source.  I have 
downloaded the whole CVS tree and it will not work on any of my 
machines.  Too many errors to go into in one email.

Thanks for your help.

Tim Yardley

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:32:15 -0700 (PDT)

> This is what I try with no avail.  It always changes it back.

Atalkd is trying to tell you that all those zones are present on net 204.
Changing atalkd.conf will have no affect on which zone afpd advertises
itelf in.

> ATALK_NAME=`echo ${HOSTNAME}|cut -d. -f1`

Change this to something like:

ATALK_NAME="`echo ${HOSTNAME}|cut -d. -f1`@Twilight Zone"

Have a look at the nbp_name man page, which says:

To cause afpd to register  itself  in  some  zone  other than the default,
one would invoke it as

              afpd -n @some-other-zone

> machines.  Too many errors to go into in one email.

The CVS tree at sourceforge is the most current source available.  But it
is a development version right now, so don't be surprised if there are
problems...

	Andy