Subject: Re: Please help: long filenames not showing up

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 03:08:25 -0700

>Has anyone looked at the code that creates the short names in samba? 
>Maybe something like that could be done.

Yes, it would be a fantastic mod if Netatalk dynamically shortened names. 
I hate dealing with the user arguments:

Jane: "I copied it to your directory."

John: "No you didn't."

Jane: "Yes I did."

John: "Look, it's not even there. See?"

Jane: "But I copied it... It must be a virus!"

Bleah.

Steve

---

From: Mike Fedyk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 00:36:22 -0700

How would we deal with aliases in this case?

I'm relatively new to the mac world.  Do aliases use strait paths ie
zone:comp:share:dir:dir:file?  Or some number?  How do we make sure
that if new files are added with the same begining 31 chars that the
first short name wouldn't change?

Sorry, this is probably already handled in samba...

Mike