Subject: password problems solved

From: "Joe Rhodes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 22:47:51 CDT

For anyone else that is having the same trouble I was, I thought I'd throw
>out what worked for me.
>
>Symptoms:
>       netatalk box shows up in chooser, but correct log on always gives,
>"Sorry,the password you entered was ..."
>
>Problem:
>       netatalk is very sensative to the permisions on the ".passwd" file 
>that
>lives in each users directory.  It must have only owner read and write
>permisions.  I found this out by finally noticing the "Insecure permissions
>found for /home/jrhodes/.passwd" message showing up in /var/log/messages.
>Further, the file must be the creater and owner of the file.  If you're
>setting up this file for someone else, than you must su to that user to
>create the file, then change it's permissions
>
>Solution:
>       Give the .passwd file the correct permissions, log in happily, smack
>oneself in the head severly saying "DOH!" loudly.
>
>       Hope this helps  anyone else running into the same thing!
>
>-Joe Rhodes
________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com