Subject: Password change=lockout

From: "Peter C. Nikolaidis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 09:52:16 -0500

Hello everyone,

   I am running Netatalk 1.4b on RedHat 6.1 with MacOS 9 clients.  We've had
a few unexplained freezes and crashes, but overall, everything has seemed to
be fine for a month or so.

    After three of my four users have changed their passwords in the past
few days, they can no longer mount shares via netatalk.  They can connect
fine with telnet, FTP, samba, etc., just not netatalk.  Is there some cache
I need to flush or some such?

    I am an experienced network admin, but new to netatalk, so if I've left
out any details, please tell me what more you need.

Thanks,

Peter

---

From: Benjamin Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 12:35:31 -0600

>> If, however, you're using cleartext passwords: if your /etc/passwd (or
>> /etc/shadow) is set up to store more than the first 8 characters of
>> passwords (using MD5 encryption or somesuch), be aware that AppleShare
>> authentication (excluding the new DHX UAM, I believe) doesn't support
>> passwords longer than 8 characters.
>The AppleTalk dialog does say we're using cleartext, and I have tried
>setting the users' passwords to long (9+) and short (8 or less) values, but
>nothing seems to work for any user who has changed his password recently.  I
>am hesitant to change my own at this point.

Are you using PAM?  Is netatalk compiled with PAM support?  Do the 
pam_pwdb settings in /etc/pam.d/login match those in /etc/pam.d/netatalk?

Oh, and --
>I am running Netatalk 1.4b on RedHat 6.1 with MacOS 9 clients.  We've had
Do you mean netatalk+asun, or really netatalk 1.4b2?  If you're not using 
the asun patches, netatalk doesn't support PAM and won't be able to read 
MD5 passwords in /etc/shadow.  You might want to upgrade your netatalk...
<ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing/pre-asun2.1.4-37b.tar.gz>

--Benjamin Gilbert

---

From: Benjamin Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 12:36:41 -0600

Oh, and --

--Benjamin Gilbert