Subject: Appletalk icons

From: Reed Loefgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 07:28:49 -0400

Michael,

  I did a copy and paste using the get info command and the pict
resource in the resulting window. I created a new empty folder on the
desktop and shared it, so MacOS gave it the icon I wanted. Command-I,
select folder-on-cat-5 pict, Command-C, go to the globe-on-cat-5 icon,
command-I, select pict, command-V and ba-da-bing! It survives through
reboots too.
  I'm using netatalk that came with 1999-Q3 (...3-7?) It works well,
unlike the problems I've read about with ...3-9. Aliases on the Mac
desktop that point to server mounted volumes survive reboots of the mac
as well, and I've had no data corruption so far. Don't know what a
server reboot would do to the icon, I never reboot it (Colorado Public
Service handles that for me several times a summer,) but it's easy
enough to replace.

Reed 

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 06:58:53 -0500
From: Michael Coyle <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Appletalk Desktop Icon Resource

>Can anybody tell me the resource to change to get rid of my client's
>ugly black and white, "globe-on-cat 5" home directory icon? I'd like to
>replace it with the color "Mac-folder-on-cat 5" icon. I'm thinking it's
>just a quick cut and paste for resedit.

I have been looking for this for awhile. The icon is served from the
Linux box, but I can't find any file Netatalk file associated with it.

My guess is that it is compiled into the binary. I plan to did
through the source to find the file. If I get lucky, I'll post it to
this list.

Michael
-- 
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot
read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn.
- - Alvin Toffler

---

From: "Chris G. Sellers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 10:03:03 -0400 (EDT)

As an aside - I think this resource is stored in a file call Icon?

> through the source to find the file. If I get lucky, I'll post it to

<(/|\-/|\-/|\-/|\-/|\/-\|/-\|/-\|/|\-/|\-/|/-\|/|\-/|\-/|\/-\|/-\|/-\)>

   Sellers , Chris G.		
   Scientific Programmer Analyst 	
    Information & Instructional Technology 
    Oakland University - Rochester, Michigan 48309-4401	
    Phone: (248) 370.2016    FAX: (248) 370.4251