Subject: File Copying Hangs

From: Basil Hussain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:58:08 +0000

Hi all,

I'm having a rather infuriating problem with copying files off a server
running Netatalk (version netatalk-1.4.99-0.20001108mdk, from RPM).

The Mac in question is a rather ancient one, a Workgroup Server 9150/120
running MacOS 8.1 (upgraded from 8.0). It has AppleShare extensions version
3.8.6 installed in order to use DHX authentication.

I'm trying to copy files off a read-only share on the server on to the Mac.
However, it seems to hang the copy process after only the second file. There
is no clean way out except to shutdown Netatalk on the Linux server. If
instead I hard-reset the Mac, I get a few 'broken pipe' errors in the log on
the server.

No matter how many times I try, it does it every time! Copying the files
onto any other Mac here (newer hardware, with newer MacOS installations)
works fine. However, I absolutely NEED to copy the files onto this Mac! It's
the only one here with SCSI and hence the only one able to use a Jaz drive.
(BTW, it's not because I'm copying straight to the Jaz disk - copying to the
Desktop is the same.)

Can anyone think of any reason that the copy would stall like this?

Regards,

------------------------------------------------
Basil Hussain ([email-masked])

---

From: Mike Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 18:22:29 GMT

Are the permissions read-only on the Unix side, or did you specify a 
roaccess list in your AppleVolumes.default file?

---

From: Basil Hussain <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 19:34:11 +0000

Hi,

> roaccess list in your AppleVolumes.default file?

No, it's defined read-only in the AppleVolumes.default config file. The
filesystem permissions are absolutely fine, as I can copy with no trouble
from other Macs.

Regards,

---

From: Mike Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 19:50:12 GMT

> filesystem permissions are absolutely fine, as I can copy with no trouble

Thanks. I was just curious. I didn't mean to imply that could cause a 
problem.

- Mike Johnson

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 02:43:37 +0100

Maybe you are experiencing the longstanding "slow copy bug" -- Mac hangs
when copying from a rather slow volume like cartridge, 10 MBit network etc.

That bug appeared some time around OS 7.6 and has been fixed by OS 8.6
(numbers given may not be accurate). The problem has been the disk driver
installed by Apples DriveSetup.

Make sure to update drivers for *all* your HDs using DriveSetup 1.9.2,
mixing different driver releases is discouraged.

CAUTION: DriveSetup 1.9.2 can't reliable take over drives formatted
by early releases of DriveSetup, as a safety measure you might want
to do full backups and re-format your HD drives.

Also, you should install a "working" Iomega extension -- 6.0.6 and
6.0.7 IMO are known to be rather reliable. Stay away from the latest
available extensions. Upgrade drivers at your Jazz cartridges as well.

HTH, -Thomas

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers