Subject: Mac file size different on linux machine

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 00:33:29 GMT

Subject:
Size of file saved from Macintosh is different on Linux machine

Environment:
I am writing to you for your expertise in solving a problem that I had with
Netatalk. 
 
I installed Netatalk 1.4b2 on my Red Hat Linux 6.1 server for communication
between the Macs and the Linux server. I haven't modify any configurations
to the configuration files. The communication was great everything is
working. I am able to save and retrieves file from and to the Linux server
with the Macintosh. 

Description:
One strange thing that I found out lately is that as I save a file from the
Macintosh machine to the Linux server the file size is DIFFERENT. I saved a
2.7 MB of file on the Mac to the linux server. The size of that same file
on the Linux server is 5 MB. This is very confusing and space consuming.
 
I hope you can give me some advise to what is causing this problem and ways
to fix it.

Thank You.
 
John Phung
Systems Administrator
HI-PERformance Enterprises Inc. Toronto

Email: [email-masked]
Tel/Fax: (905)569-3554

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 08:14:34 +0100

>on the Linux server is 5 MB. This is very confusing and space consuming.

What size exactly do you mean? (allocated vs. used)
How have you measured the size on the server? (info vs ls -l)

In General: Don't tust the "allocted" counter on a server. Afp handles block allocation different from a hard disk. As long as the used bytes are the same, all is okay.

:wq! PoC