Subject: Wierd problem w/PPP and maybe? netatalk?

From: "davin@home" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 08:46:09 +0000

Hello all!

I am posting this question to this group partly because netatalk itself
might be the problem and also because this group also seems to know a
lot about Macintosh/Linux connectivity.   Here's the problem:

Set Up:

1 PowerMac 9500 File server running AppleshareIP
15 G3 B/W Work Stations
1 Redhat 6.1 FTP Server w/ Kernel 2.2.5-15 running Netatalk
1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6 on a HP Vectra VL

I am using a Netgear RT328 ISDN router to connect to the internet.

When I brought the Linux machine online the problems started.  Our
internet connection started to become erratic.  The physical link would
stay up but nothing would be going through.  The following situation
seemed to come and go with no rhyme or reason.  When the link froze the
following facts are true:

1. I am able to ping our ISP's Nameserver from the Linux machine.
2. I can telnet the ISP's machine and I get the login and password
prompts but the connection freezes at the "last login" line.
3. I cannot access the WWW from any machine.
4.I cannot ping any of the Macintosh workstations.
5. The file server is still operational and can be pinged.

After days of troubleshooting I eventually had to admit that the Linux
machine could not be online in our network.  I would like to offer FTP
services from this machine but I am completely baffled as to what to do
next.  I see nothing in the system logs to indicate a problem.  If there
are any other logs I could check I would appreciate the lead.

Thank you in advance.

Davin Flatten
The Cricket Co.