Subject: mac alias support question

From: "Chad S. Lauritsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 13:54:31 -0500

What is the status of support for mac aliases in netatalk? we are
considering replacing a netware server with a linux box. I remember some
discussion a while back about pending/existing improvements to the code
vis-à-vis aliases. does anyone care to comment?

thanks.

-- 
* Chad S. Lauritsen, Systems Administrator                       *
* Perfection Learning Corporation                                *
* 1000 North Second Avenue, Logan, IA 51546 712.644.2831 x 223   *
"Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." --Jesus

---

From: David R Bosso <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 13:13:01 -0700

> vis-à-vis aliases. does anyone care to comment?

What exactly is the problem with aliases?  They don't work at all, or they
don't work just to mount volumes.  If it's the latter, can't you just mount
the volumes via applescript?

I suppose I'll find out soon enough when I bring my server up :-)

-David

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 22:41:37 +0200

At 13:13 Uhr -0700 01.05.2000, David R Bosso wrote:

>What exactly is the problem with aliases?

WIth no fixed directory IDs, there's no chance for an alias to find it's reference. I don't know if netatalk supports fixed DIDs at the moment.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 22:58:20 -0700

> I suppose I'll find out soon enough when I bring my server up :-)

Aliases to folders on the volume don't work. Aliases to volumes themselves
work.

Harry

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 23:00:34 -0700

I get the following errors:

uams_dhx_passwd.c:25: bn.h: No such file or directory
uams_dhx_passwd.c:26: dh.h: No such file or directory
uams_dhx_passwd.c:27: cast.h: No such file or directory
make[4]: *** [uams_dhx_passwd.so] Error 1

This after I installed OpenSSL, and libdes. I modified the Makefile
appropriate for the proper locations.

This is with netatalk + asum 2.1.4-39, on a RedHat 6.2 box.

DOn't know where the missing files are supposed to be from, or even where I
am supposed to find them. Please help so I can continue this effort to
compile netatalk with DHX support.

Thanks.

Harry

---

From: John Chia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 02:12:59 -0400

> make[4]: *** [uams_dhx_passwd.so] Error 1

They're probably under /usr/include somewhere.  They're part of OpenSSL.
Maybe /usr/include/openssl/

-- 
John

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 23:24:20 -0700

> Maybe /usr/include/openssl/

Nope, they are not. There isn't even anything related in /usr/include, since
this is a RedHat box.

Harry

---

From: John Chia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 02:28:53 -0400

> Nope, they are not. There isn't even anything related in /usr/include, since

Have you tried.. rpm -ql openssl.. or rpm -ql `rpm -qa | grep openssl`?

I'm pretty sure it's an openssl thing.  Actually, you might need the 
openssl-dev rpm.

-- 
John

---

From: sat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 16:28:11 -0400

They ARE opensl files... as far as I remember.   I just searched for the 
files and copied them into my include dir.

--On Wednesday, May 3, 2000 2:28 AM -0400 John Chia 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> > They're probably under /usr/include somewhere.  They're part of
>> > OpenSSL. Maybe /usr/include/openssl/
>>
>> Nope, they are not. There isn't even anything related in /usr/include,
>> since this is a RedHat box.
>

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 10:04:01 -0700

> files and copied them into my include dir.

Since these are supposed 'standard' files, and part of the OpenSSL
distribution (albeit I installed the OpenSSL RPM, and they certainly were
NOT in any include directories), how about adding the appropriate locations
in the Makefile, to make it easier for users to even know what it's looking
for?

Harry