Subject: Why the LONG Verifying during connection status??

From: [email-masked] (Coutts, Ashe)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:12:47 -0800

I'm using RedHat 6.1 with: "netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6.i386.rpm" 
and alos have a Netware 4.11 server on the land with the appletalk 
setup and functioning fine. When I use the chooser on a mac and 
select the Netware server the login screen jumps up immediately. 
When chooing the linux-netatalk box, however, the screen sits there 
with the "Verifying" message for 18 seconds or more but then 
presents the login screen after quickly flashing "Falling back to 
AppleTalk".

So, what was it attempting to do before "Falling back..." and what 
might I do to generate a prompt connection. 

Thanks in advance for any help -- Ashe Coutts

     "Life can only be understood backwards;
       but it must be lived forwards."
        -- Soren Kierkegarrd 1813-1855

         Ashe Coutts ([email-masked])
              805.963-4338 Ext 300
                Fax 805.884.1557

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 08:34:34 +0200

>might I do to generate a prompt connection. 

Netatalk tells your Mac that you may also connect via TCP. Your Mac tries and fails for some reason. Maybe that your TCP/IP is configured for PPP and ISP dialin, maybe your TCP/IP is not configured at all.

:wq! PoC