Subject: 100mbit Hub

From: R Cent <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:01:36 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

When my server is connected to a 100mbit hub, I *can* login to
it from a Mac with Server IP from the Chooser, but *cannot*
login to it with AppleShare from the Chooser.  This problem
occurs from several Macs running OS 8.6 or OS 9.0.  All is well
when the server is connected to a 10mbit hub.

Our office will soon be upgraded from 10mbit to 100mbit
ethernet.  In preparation for that day, I have bought an Intel
InBusiness 8-port 10/100 Fast Hub.  My Linux server has a 3Com
3C905B 10/100 NIC which lights up the 100mbit hub LED.  I have
CAT-5 wiring.  My server is running Mandrake 7.0-2 Linux and
netatalk from netatalk-1.4.2+asun2.1.3-7.i386.rpm

Any ideas?

_____________________________
Bob Cent 
University of Washington
Box 357330
Seattle, WA  98195-7330  

mailto: [email-masked]
voice:  206.543.1433
fax:    206.685.0305
_____________________________

---

From: R Cent <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:08:50 -0800 (PST)

> I *cannot* login to my server with AppleShare from the
> Chooser.

I must clarify this.  My server appears in the Chooser
list.  When I attempt to login via AppleTalk, a progress bar
appears and the process is halted.  An error message comes up
stating the server could not be found.

Thanks again.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 22:17:28 +0100

check ip-adresses (no one should be twice of course) and set up /etc/hosts
this might help

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 22:27:36 +0100

hi there,

imagine the following:
on drive is shared as an appletalk-volume. all users are in one group and
they all have +rwx and are even file owner.

i log in using user 1 and everything's ok.
logging in using user 2 show some creators wrong e.g. a sit is a simple text
document.

mysterious, isn't it?

by the way: how many users are subscribed to this list?

bye out of snowy zurich

sebastian