Subject: Nested directory copy permission problems

From: Jules Milner-Brage <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 03:49:34 -0500 (CDT)

Hello.  I am working on setting up netatalk-1.4b2-asun on Debian Potato.
The machine I am working with has two ethernet interfaces - one connected
to my internal private (e.g. 192.168.1...) network and the other to the
outside world.  I have bound AppleTalk and ASIP services (through
atalkd.conf and afpd.conf respectively) to the internal ethernet interface
(eth1).  In my AppleVolumes.default I have set up two shares: the user's
home directory and a "Common" share shared by a UNIX user group of
privileged users (the "mb" group).

So, the problem is, when I go to any of the client Macs (all running Mac
OS 9) and mount either or both of the home directory or Common shares, I
am unnable to copy files from the Mac to the Linux box if they are nested
within approx three or more directories.  For example, if I have the
directory structure "/Macintosh HD/Foo/Bar/Baz/aFile" on the Mac and try
to copy the "Foo" folder to the Linux box, I get the error 'The item
"aFile" cannot be written because you do not have sufficient access
privileges'.

This is what my configuration looks like:

[afpd.conf]
Vermilion -tcp -randnum -rand2num -noguest -nouservol -address 192.168.1.1

[atalkd.conf]
eth1 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.253

[AppleVolumes.default]
~               "Home Directory"        options=noadouble
/common         "Common"                access=@mb options=noadouble

The permissions on /common and thus all internal ("mb" group) user created
items are: "drwxrws--- <username> mb".

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!  I have been banging
my head against the wall over this problem all day now...

Thanks in advance,

JULES
--
http://adakara.com

P.S. I am not subscribed to netatalk-admins so please respond to me 
directly.