Subject: folding zones

From: Dejan Muhamedagic <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:37:13 +0100

Hello,

The network used to have 3 10baseT hub and the netatalk server has 3
NICs thus being an appletalk router for the 3 different zones.  They've
purchased a 10/100 switch, put it in place, get rid of 2 NICs on the
server, so there is now only one appletalk zone.  The most curious thing
is that some printers appear now within old zones and, hence, can't be
used.  The printer is visible and can be connected in the chooser.
Then, when the job is about to be sent to the printer, Mac reports that
the printer could not be found.  On closer inspection, the printer
chosen appears to be "blah@Layout" whereas "Layout" is a zone which
existed only up to yesterday.  How does this zone appear out of nowhere?
They've tried dropping preferences for AppleShare, AppleTalk and
Printing, restarting the printer and the Mac and nothing.  BTW, some
Macs can print and some can't.

I was thinking about trying to put back zones on this single interface.
However, how will this printer end in the correct zone?  In other words,
how does he make a choice on the address and the zone?

Also, is this the correct way to specify multiple zones on a single
interface:

eth0 -router -phase 2 \
   -addr 10.10 -net 10-20 -zone Scanner \
   -addr 30.10 -net 30-40 -zone Layout \
   -addr 50.10 -net 50-60 -zone Image

or should it be:

eth0 -router -phase 2 -addr 10.10 -net 10-20 -zone Scanner
eth0 -router -phase 2 -addr 30.10 -net 30-40 -zone Layout
eth0 -router -phase 2 -addr 50.10 -net 50-60 -zone Image

or I can only:

eth0 -router -phase 2 \
   -addr 10.10 -net 10-60 -zone Scanner -zone Layout -zone Image

or... well, I have to say that I'm a bit confused as this thing was
supposed to work out of box.  Does anything of this make any sense to
anybody?  Does using several zones on a single interface makes sense?

Any hints from experienced Apple admins?

Cheers.

Dejan

-- 

Dejan Muhamedagic   mailto:[email-masked]
UNIX and Linux Support   mailto:[email-masked]

Quant-X Service & Consulting Ges.m.b.H.  http://www.quant-x.com
Phn: +43 4212 90555-0     Fax: 90555-20    Free: +800 90555 000

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:39:30 -0800 (PST)

> Macs can print and some can't.

Maybe you can reconfigure the printer so that it appears in the single
zone you have left?  Just guessing here...

>    -addr 10.10 -net 10-60 -zone Scanner -zone Layout -zone Image

The last one directly above is the correct solution.  You can't define a
single interface to have multiple netranges and addresses, but it can
support multiple zones.  The first zone listed (Scanner) is the default
zone for the network, so any services should appear there unless
specifically configured otherwise.  Your printers may still believe they
are in the Layout zone, but I imagine this would actually work now that
the zone exists.

	Andy