Subject: quark passport 4.1 and file-problems

From: mac <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:05:30 +0100

hi there,

i read the archive and couldn't find a propper help or solution - so this posting is nothing really new....

i am running 
redhat 6.1
1.4b2 of netatalk
and some other stuff on the server like samba

on the clients i use
2x 8.6 german version
1x 8.5 english version

on every mac there ist passport 4.1 installed

i deactivated (deinstalled) the norton antivirus, because on the first look it seems that this thing couses the errors like "-199" and simillars...

working with the files over the finder or other programs (photoshop...) does not produce any defectives.
only quark make some strange things with thoe resource-forks.
on those file i delete the resource-directory on the server and create new with drop-attribute.
this works just fine for alle damaged files - but it's very ugly....

does someone has a clue?

bye
klaus

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 06:47:40 +1300

These are the problems I faced with my clients and their netatalk 
servers. The -199 error when saving is a Quark 4.1 problem. Quark 
tries to write a Preview into the resource fork of the file (i 
think), the latest asun patches fix this little problem and more...

The solution is to compile netatalk1.4b2+asun214 37b, with an 
addition to the sys/linux/Makefile, which is in your netatalk source 
directory. That addition is DEFS= -DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS. Once you have 
done that, compile your new netatalk asun214 server!
This forces the use of the 'old' file locking code, which does not 
disrupt quark. Please note that this is work around for Quark, and 
will foul up anyone WANTING the new file locking for Omnis etc. It 
disables the new work asun is doing with file locking(sorry asun!), 
but it's the only way to get Quark to behave.

You can download the source from:
ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing/

Happy compiling...

At 1:05 PM +0100 22/2/2000, mac wrote:
>i deactivated (deinstalled) the norton antivirus, because on the 
>first look it seems that this thing couses the errors like "-199" 
>and simillars...
>
>working with the files over the finder or other programs 
>(photoshop...) does not produce any defectives.

========================================================

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer."
		Marcus Radich 1999

This message has been checked with GRIMEsweeper which has detected a virus
embedded in this plain text message. You should now delete your entire hard
drive and rinse your eyes with soapy water to ensure it doesn't spread.

========================================================

---

From: Curtis Fulton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 17:13:33 -0800 (PST)

Using pre-asun2.1.4-37b.tar.gz.

Clients using GoLive.

After several hours of use, Mac reports error -42 (Too many files open.)

This was not a problem with Asun 2.1.3.  Opening same volume with
DAVE+Samba causes no errors.

Any ideas?  Is pre-asun2.1.4 just not usable at this point?

Curtis Fulton