Subject: Re: netatalk in production environments....(RFC)

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 01:01:23 -0700

>I don't think Adrian is out of the picture.  We have CVS running, we
>can easily put netatalk in it.  Are their contributors out there that
>are having a hard time contributing?

I think Netatalk needs its own home out on the web. Between this list and 
LINUX-ATALK I've seen the same questions posed over and over again. 
"Where do I get the latest version?" "Why won't 1.4.2-2.1.3 compile on 
x?" "What's the deal with DIDs?" "Which versions of Redhat require 
shadow?" "How do I compile with DHX support?" "How do I enable 2-way 
encryption?" The answers are always the same -- use this version instead, 
tweak this part of the makefile, export this variable, use aliases this 
way but not that way, etc., et al., ad nauseaum.

Netatalk has suffered badly from information fragmentation -- there is no 
easy-to-find resource for users to find answers to frequently asked 
questions, up-to-date binaries, the latest definitive Asun versions, etc. 
Sure, we know where to find these things, but only because we read 
mailing lists and keep hacking away at problematic compilations.

I expect would-be developers suffer from this too. How many potential 
developers have been turned off by Netatalk only because they couldn't 
quickly get the information they needed?

It hasn't had a champion to gather the information and the adherents to 
improve it.

I strongly believe Netatalk needs its own independent home on the web. 
Because of the successes of SourceForge, I vote for it to go there.

Steve Freitas

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:27:53 +0200

>Because of the successes of SourceForge, I vote for it to go there.

I think, you're right. Go for it. :-)

:wq! PoC