Subject: Forcing group permission

From: "Steve Cullingworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:18:21 -0700

I'm running a netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6 rpm on Redhat 6.1 and would like to
force users who connect to a public share to write files as a certain group.
There is command in Samba that forces the user and group.  Is there a
similar option with Netatalk?  As far as I can tell, netatalk by default
writes files with the user as the owner and the user's primary group as the
group.  Isn't there supposed to be new FAQ (existing or being written) that
covers exactly these topics?  If so, it's tough to find.

ANY help or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Steve
--
Steve Cullingworth [email-masked]
c o l u m b u s g r o u p <http://www.columbusgroup.com/>
tel: 604.801.5758 ext:293 fax: 604.801.5785

---

From: Danny Sauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 12:12:22 -0500

Rather than worrying about netatalk, just make the directory setgid.  Then
new files/directories will inherit the parent's group.
"chmod 2770 /path/to/dir", for example...  "man chmod" for another. :)  As
far as setting the create-mode for files to allow group write, I dunno.
I guess there'd have to be a way to run in a umask-modified environment.
Or set up a cron script to run every few minutes executing a
"chmod -R g=u /path/to/dir", or something ugly like that... :(

--Danny

---

From: Chip Mefford <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:31:54 -0400 (EWT)

I'm kinda tired and punch so this might not
make sense.

In the mac world, the files and subdirs inherit the
perms of the parent. So, 

Make sure the parent dir or share is set the way
you want and rwx-able to a group id that also
contains all the affected users, and you should
be fine.

---

From: Vic Landi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:43:29 -0400

That's true of the files, but not necessarily true of folders.  On the Mac,
it depends on how you have the folders setup.  You can hit the button for
"Copy these privileges to all enclosed folders"  But that causes long delays
in File Sharing startup...  You can also check "Use enclosing folder's
privileges" on each individual folder.  This is has to be set though,
otherwise for example if you have several users in a group, and one creates
a new folder, the others won't be able to get into it unless the user who
created it checks the "Use enclosing folder's privileges" box.

Vic Landi

> From: Chip Mefford <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:31:54 -0400 (EWT)
> To: Danny Sauer <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Forcing group permission
> Resent-From: [email-masked]
> Resent-Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 13:35:48 -0400 (EDT)
> 
>