Subject: Help compiling netatalk for RH6.2+shadowpw+PAM

From: "S.Ecker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 23:44:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I've exhausted all web resources I could find, all my
contacts who know linux better than I, and I still
can't get it netatalk to compile.  Here's the scoop:

I'm trying to compile on a linux server with
RedHat6.2+shadow passwords+PAM.  I made the following
modifications:

to ./Makefile:
	PAMDIR=/usr/include/security
	(where pam_modules.h and the like reside) 

to ./etc/afpd/Makefile
	added -DSHADOWPW to CFLAGS

I used the following packages:

	netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3.tar.gz
	tcp_wrappers_7.6.tar.gz
	libdes.tar.gz

make quits with the following output:

n function `host_match':
hosts_access.o(.text+0x400): undefined reference to
`yp_get_default_domain'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [afpd] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/src/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/etc/afpd'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/src/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/etc/afpd'
make[2]: *** [afpd] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/src/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/etc'
make[1]: *** [../../etc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/src/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/sys/linux'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any help at all would be great.  I'd even make an
account on the linux box for someone willing to spend
some time trying it out.

-Scott

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com/

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 07:41:25 -0700 (PDT)

> 	netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3.tar.gz

The compile bug you are having is a known problem.  There is a missing
library definition in sys/linux/Makefile.  You have to put "-lnsl" in it
somewhere...

I would highly recommend that you use the asun2.1.4pre37b release instead
of 2.1.3.  It is actually quite stable and has many improvements and bug
fixes.  You can grab it from:

ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing/

Just untar/gz it, uncomment the PAMDIR setting in the top-level Makefile,
and compile.  You don't need to set anything for shadow support.  TCP
wrappers are on by default.

For RedHat 6.2, you will need to add "alias net-pf-5 appletalk" to your
/etc/conf.modules if you are using the stock RedHat kernel.

	Andy

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 08:35:00 -0700

on 5/8/00 11:44 PM, S.Ecker at [email-masked] wrote:

> can't get it netatalk to compile.

http://lindy.stanford.edu/~ssklar/netatalk-setup.html

Try the above URL, which contains an excellent tutorial on compiling
netatalk. Applies to 2.1.3, but you can apply it to 2.1.4 as well (be sure
to only use 2.1.4-37).

What helped was the explanation about the needed libraries, where to get
them, and how to configure the system for proper comilation.

Harry

---

From: Karel Nolles <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 17:30:23 +1000

Hi.

We have a Caldera OL2.2 linux box serving a number of folders (call one
"workfiles" to a network of

3 iMac's (Netatalk)
2 PCs (Samba)

And everything is good.  Everyone can open files, save files, read files,
etc.

We have 1 PC Notebook user who wants to copy the entire "workfiles" to his
harddrive, work on it at home, and then synchronise back the next day.  We
have some Windows file sync software (called funnily enough "file sync") on
the notebook, but after he has synchronised the Mac's suddenly have trouble
recognising file types.

I presume the Windows sync software doesn't treat the resource forks very
well ??

Can anyone explain what is going on, and how to