Subject: Quick Question

From: TimY <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:49:05 -0700

I am wondering if anyone has tried this before.
Lets say you have a windoze NT box running Mac file services.  And a 
Linux box running netatalk.  Could you SMB mount the Mac shared 
directory from the NT box to the linux box. Then share it using 
Netatalk on the linux box.  If you could, how would this affect the 
license for windoze NT?  I mean you are only using one account to 
access the NT box, right?  I know this would be slow and a big pain 
in the butt.  It sure would make M$ real mad.

On the flip side I actually got this to work using Xinet KASHARE on a 
Solaris7 x86 machine.  And it was actually faster than the NT machine.

This is just a thought that I have been wondering about.

Any comments??
Thanks,
Tim Yardley

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
|MIS Dark Horse Comics, Inc.|
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 13:14:39 -0400

Tim,

I don't think that you can.  I didn't think that NT (natively at 
least) could connect to other Macs.  Although it does have its own 
file server.

	Although I've often wondered if you could have a Windows NT 
machine connect to linux via SMB, and then serve out Active Server 
Pages from a SMB share on linux through IIS.

	Come to think of it, I really need a life.

	Ryan

At 9:49 -0700 28/7/2000, TimY wrote:
>On the flip side I actually got this to work using Xinet KASHARE on 
>a Solaris7 x86 machine.  And it was actually faster than the NT 
>machine.
>

__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
__________________________________
If you want to achieve excellence, you can get there today. As of 
this second, quit doing less-than-excellent work.
-Thomas Watson, founder of IBM

---

From: Craig Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:00:33 -0700

For some Reason I using Cops tryed to connect to my two Redhat 6.2 linux
machines. One I could connect to via Netatalk and the other created an
error.

Craig

---

From: TimY <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:05:30 -0700

OOPS!!!
maybe I worded that wrong.  Connect to the NT box from the Linux box 
using smb and then share the directory using Netatlk.  Unless 
netatalk can mount a Mac volume, or use NFS somehow on nt to share 
the directory to the Linux box.  I hope this makes more sense.
TimY

---

From: Craig Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:42:41 -0700

The latest Kernel has a module that will mount Mac partitions.

Craig

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 20:53:00 -0700

on 7/28/00 9:49 AM, TimY at [email-masked] wrote:

> I know this would be slow and a big pain

Easier would be to type in a far larger number during the licensing phase on
the NT - boy that certainly would MS far more mad.

Harry
-- 
CAN'T SEE MAC IN CHOOSER UNDER RedHat 6.2: If you get errors starting
AppleTalk under RedHat 6.2 and Mandrake 7.1, you need to manually add "alias
net-pf-5 appletalk" to your /etc/conf.modules file.

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 20:57:42 -0700

> The latest Kernel has a module that will mount Mac partitions.

Does everyone here misunderstand what Tim is trying to do?

He wants to mount the NT *ON* his linux box, using something to mount smb
partitions, and then use his linux box to share this resultant connection
out to Macs on his network using netatalk.

Having him connect to NT's Mac File Services would defeat any purpose, since
it would be 4-5 times slower than connecting via smb - granted, while you
could hack it to work, the result would be an incredibly slow and unreliable
connection.

Actually, what Tim proposes *could* conceivably work, but why...?

Come on, everyone - THINK!

Harry

---

From: Moritz Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 14:47:13 +0200 (CEST)

> the directory to the Linux box.  I hope this makes more sense.

This will be rather simple!
Use "smbclient" to mount any shared filespace of the NT box onto your
linux box. smbclient is part of the samba suite. To simply mount a WinNT
share onto a linux box, type the following:
smbmount //nameofNTserver/nameofshare
 /pathonlinuxbox/mountpointwhichisthedirectorywheretomounttheNTshare 
-U nameofadministratororanyotheruserwhoisauthorizedtoconnecttotheNTmachine

for details on syntax and options refer to the man-page.

After having mounted a NT share you may re-share it with netatalk.

Best regards,
Moritz

__________________________________________________________
Moritz Kaiser
Studentische Vertretung, Technische Universitaet Muenchen
Europe / Germany

---

From: Hauke Fath <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:00:38 +0200

At 09:49 28.07.00 -0700, TimY wrote:
>Lets say you have a windoze NT box running Mac file services.  And a Linux 
>box running netatalk.  Could you SMB mount the Mac shared directory from 
>the NT box to the linux box. Then share it using Netatalk on the linux box.

Does not work. The Macintosh Services under NT use NTFS forks that are not 
accessible through the win32 API. I.e., what you see through an SMB mount 
is (at most) the data fork of a Macintosh file, never the resource fork.

         hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        Tangro Software Components GmbH
                                         D-69115 Heidelberg
[email-masked]                       Ruf +49-6221-13336-35, Fax -21