Subject: iconopen: No such file or directory

From: Prentice Bisbal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:40:31 -0500

My log file is filled w/ messages like this.  I know almost nothing about the
workings of netatalk. Does anyone know what this means and how to fix it? 

afpd[17637]: afp_addicon: No such file or directory
afpd[17637]: iconopen: open /p/ncsx/.AppleDesktop/R/R*ch.icon: No such file or directory
afpd[17637]: afp_addicon: No such file or directory
afpd[17637]: iconopen: open /p/ncsx/.AppleDesktop/R/R*ch.icon: No such file or directory

-- 
Prentice Bisbal
[email-masked]
Princeton Plasma Physics Lab
http://www.pppl.gov

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 08:36:26 -0800

I've recently run into this strange problem on a RedHat 6.1 installation.
Upon starting netatalk (2.1.4pre36), I invariably get this error displayed:

command not found: getmsg

Any idea what causes this, and how to fix it? Apparently, while AppleTalk
access works, TCP/IP access never goes up either. I find this off.

Harry

---

From: David Heayn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 01:30:32 -0800

I will soon be setting up 15 blue G3's to network render video sequences
through Adobe After Effects.  Total they will  render about 21,600 single
PICT frames (12 minutes worth) to one folder of the mountable netatalk
volume.

If i remember correctly I think the macintosh HFS system had a limitation
to the amount of files in one folder. I've scoured apple's site looking for
the answer but I only developer information about "new-wave" file systems.

My question to those with the technical know-how is what is the max. amount
of files that any one HFS folder can handle? And will netatalk be able to
handle this?

Thanks.
---
DAVE

---

From: Brian Bergstrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:43:39 -0600

> of files that any one HFS folder can handle? And will netatalk be able to

I don't think there is a limit (at least not a reachable one) on directory
entries. The problem is, the Finder slows way down when trying to list a
1000 or more directory entries. Finder 7.x was also very likely to crash
when listing a large amount of entries. If you are using 8.6 or 9.0, you
should have no problems other than the slow down.

There is a another problem though, Standard File Services can only list 32K
of data (a limitation of the Mac List Manager), so Open dialogs will not
show all of a folder's content (I think the upper limit is around 350
entries). I believe that Navigation Services does not have this problem.

HTH.

-- 
Brian Bergstrand
Systems Programmer  Northern Illinois University

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:45:22 +0100

>of files that any one HFS folder can handle? And will netatalk be able to

There's no known limitation from the unix side (except with some commands responding with "arg list too long"), so I think there's no actual limiation from the netatalk side. If there's a limit, it would be set by MacOS or the Finder.

:wq! PoC