Subject: Chooser crashes when I set up printer

From: Richard Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:55:22 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I have been running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4  on a Solaris 7 machine to 
do file sharing for several years. This week I have been trying to set up
the sun as a print server for the mac. 

The sun has several network printers set up under LPRng and they all
work fine from unix (and windows using samba). I am trying to set up
some of them for the Macs.

The printcap entry for the priner I am working on is:
lp-std|lpstandard|standard
        :server
        :rw:sh:sf
        :lp=lp.irus.rri.on.ca%9100
        :mx#0
        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/standard/standard-errs
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/standard
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/standard/standard-account
        :la
        :ifhp=model=t614-standard,config=/etc/ifhp.conf
        :if=/usr/local/lib/filters/ifhp
        :of=/usr/local/lib/filters/ofhp

The papd.conf entry is:
Theremin Test:\
        :pr=|/usr/local/bin/lpr -Plp-std:\
        :op=root:\
        :pd=/etc/atalk/ppd/lexmark_optraT.ppd:

Here is what happens. I open the chooser, select Laser Writter, choose
the Theremin Test entry. The printer starts to get set up and then it
asks me to select a ppd file (whay does it ask if I supply one in the
paps.conf file?) I select the correct one and the printer gets set up. I
can print to it with no problems.

The problem is if I select the priner in the chooser and click "Printer
Info" and then "Update Info", the chooser crashes with the error:
	The application "Chooser" has unexpectedly
	quit, because an error of type 2 occured.

Not being able to update the info is not a problem in intself, but this
sounds like there is a larger paroblem that might affect printing in
some way.

Any comments would be appriciated.

Thanks

***************************** **************************************
*Rick Goldberg              * *                                    *
*Graduate Student           * * "I never wanted to be average,     *
*Computer Science Dept      * *   because when you are average you *
*York University            * *   are just as far from the top as  *
*Toronto, Canada            * *   you are from the bottom."        *
[email-masked]             * *              -Stan Cottrell-       *
*www.cs.yorku.ca/~rickg     * *                                    *
***************************** **************************************
     "If you don't invest very much, the defeat doesn't hurt,
             But winning isn't very exciting."

---

From: faxserver‹nigel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:46:10 +1100

> quit, because an error of type 2 occured.

Is it because the netatalk printer is a spooler, not a direct connection to
the printer? When setting up from the chooser you start a two-way
communication between the Mac and the printer. If the *nix box is spooling
the jobs via lpr et. al. then it seems that you cannot have this two-way
communication. I just click on the "Configure" button and set the
appropriate options myself.

HTH
Nigel.

---

From: Richard Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:48:58 -0400 (EDT)

Right,
 
That makes sense.
 
Any idea why it asks me to choose a ppd file even though  I specify
one in the papd.conf file?
 
Thanks for the help.
 
-Rick

---

From: Christian Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 21:29:50 +0200

>  one in the papd.conf file?

Your Mac clients need a ppd file in order to let them know about the 
printer's capabilities.
It is necessary to specify a ppd file for papd to supply papd with 
some information on the printer so that papd interprets incoming 
"orders" in the right way.
(I hope I just got it right ;-)

hth,
Christian
-- 
Made with a Macintosh...
[email-masked]
http://home.t-online.de/home/chrischmi/

---

From: Richard Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:39:41 -0400 (EDT)

> (I hope I just got it right ;-)

I thought that by specifing the ppd in the conf file the mac would be
able to download the ppd from the server.

I guess that was wishfull thinking.

Thanks for the help

-Rick Goldberg