Subject: Sorry the password you entered is incorrect

From: "Joe Rhodes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 21:52:20 CDT

Hell all!

	Well, after reading so many great things about Adrian's most recent package 
(2.1.4-39) I decided to have a go at it.  I had some trouble compiling it, 
and eventually resorted to just commenting out all the password ecryption, 
DES, and PAM stuff.  Although this would be very usefull later, it can wait 
for now.  I have to say that I was a bit shocked when "make" not only made 
the package, but installed it over my working package as well!

	The problem is that my Linux box shows up in my chooser, and the chooser 
indicates clear text passwords, but when using a known good password  I get 
the "Sorry, the password you entered..." problem.

	Now, there's more, that may or may not be related.  nbplkup returns with 
absolutely nothing.  It no longer shows the LaserWriter IIg, or the 
workstation itself.

	I can no longer print to the laser writer.

	So, here are my questions:

	Is there any trick to getting 2.1.4-39 to compile with encrypted passwords? 
  What about UAM's on the mac side?  Will it compile something that I can 
dump in my extensions folder?  (On one go of things, I had the chooser 
complain because the correct UAM couldn't be found)

	Why is nbplkup suddenly not showing nothing?  Is that because it is only 
doing appletalk over IP?  Will this work for my age old printer?

	Here's some files that you may find important:
afpd.conf:

#
decameron -cleartext
~

atalkd.conf:
#       routers disagree about it's configuration of le1.
#
eth0 -phase 1
~
~
/var/log/messages:  (after .../atalk restart issued)
Jun 28 21:42:41 decameron papd[589]: unregister decameron:LaserWriter@*
Jun 28 21:42:42 decameron atalk: papd shutdown succeeded
Jun 28 21:42:42 decameron atalkd[577]: done
Jun 28 21:42:43 decameron atalk: atalkd shutdown succeeded
Jun 28 21:42:43 decameron afpd[599]: shutting down on signal 15
Jun 28 21:42:44 decameron atalk: afpd shutdown succeeded
Jun 28 21:42:47 decameron atalkd: eth0: multicast may not work properly.
Jun 28 21:42:48 decameron atalkd[707]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
Jun 28 21:42:49 decameron atalkd[707]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Jun 28 21:43:08 decameron last message repeated 2 times
Jun 28 21:43:18 decameron atalkd[707]: config for no router
Jun 28 21:43:19 decameron atalkd[707]: ready 0/0/0
Jun 28 21:43:19 decameron atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
Jun 28 21:43:31 decameron atalk: papd startup succeeded
Jun 28 21:43:31 decameron papd[720]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
Jun 28 21:43:31 decameron atalk: afpd startup succeeded
Jun 28 21:43:37 decameron papd[720]: register decameron:LaserWriter@*
Jun 28 21:43:37 decameron afpd[730]: decameron:AFPServer@* started on 
65280.227:130 (1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
Jun 28 21:43:37 decameron afpd[730]: ASIP started on 127.0.0.1:548(1) 
(1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
Jun 28 21:43:37 decameron afpd[730]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
Jun 28 21:43:37 decameron afpd[730]: uam: uams_clrtxt.so loaded
Jun 28 21:43:37 decameron afpd[730]: uam: "Cleartxt Passwrd" available
Jun 28 21:43:37 decameron afpd[730]: uam: "No User Authent" available

Does anyone have suggestions?

Does anyone have some insight into the DHX UAM's?  It sounded interesting, 
but I cannot get it to compile right.  I have openssl 0.9.4-3, which I 
belive has what I need, but things keep crapping out when it's trying to 
compile afppasswd.

Is 39 stable enough to go into a production server yet?  (I have the option 
of using this soon in the "real world" not just at home, so I'd like to get 
it working here first.

Thanks in advance for any light you could shed on the topic!

-Joe Rhodes
Goliath Networks

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com