Subject: cups and papd

From: Christian Tardif <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:26:02 -0500

I've just installed the latest of netatalk (rpm distribution) on a brand 
new Mandrake 7.2 (kernel 2.4.0) with cups as default printing system. 
Everything seems to be working correctly (way better than previous 
releases), except for papd which keeps telling me that printer laserjet 
does not exist. Here is a part of the error log generated by lpr:

Nov 22 22:04:20 firewall papd[25637]: No such printer: laserjet
Nov 22 22:04:20 firewall papd[25637]: printcap problem: laserjet

In fact, due to cups, the only thing that is in /etc/printcap is:

laserjet:

Is there anything that can be done to make papd working with cups ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Christian Tardif
[email-masked]

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:28:31 -0800 (PST)

> Is there anything that can be done to make papd working with cups ?

Use the option in papd.conf to pipe the output to a program instead of
letting papd mess in your spool directories (which it obviously can't do
in this case).

I'm not familiar with cups at all, but I assume it has some unix
command-line utilities for printing.  Here is an example papd.conf for
standard lpd printing through a pipe:

laserjet:
	:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Plaserjet:

Maybe this will help...

	Andy

---

From: Christian Tardif <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 22:18:43 -0500

>         :pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Plaserjet:

It works !!!  In fact, CUPS is mainly used for defining printers, and 
printing is done in some way through lpr. But papd doesn't seem to deal 
with that directly. But with the intervention of lpr, everything is now 
working correctly.

Many thanks !