Subject: Mac --> Unix Printer

From: Odhiambo Washington <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 22:08:20 +0300

Hi people,
I am writing to request your assistance in my dilemna. I've searched but
I'm sorry to say but I just don't seem to find a good HOWTO on making some
2 Mac users on my network print to the HP DeskJet on my FreeBSD 4.1.1
Windows lusers already can print.
Netalk is already running....installed from the ports. The only remaining
issue is the relevant configs.
Any pointers, or even a walkthrough, will be highly appreciated. I'm sure
someone in this list has a big heart and can help me.

Thanks in advance.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
[email-masked]  5th Flr Furaha Plaza
Tel: 254 11 222604   Nkrumah Rd.,
Fax: 254 11 222636   PO Box 83613 MOMBASA, KENYA.

To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower. Hold infinity 
in the palms of your hand and eternity in an hour -William Blake

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:38:23 -0700 (PDT)

> someone in this list has a big heart and can help me.

Here's a sample papd.conf file:

My Printer:\
	:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Pmyprinter:\
	:pd=/etc/atalk/ppds/hp8100.ppd:

Printer 2:\
	:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Pprinter2:\
	:pd=/etc/atalk/ppds/hp4500.ppd:

This will create printers called "My Printer" and "Printer 2" in the
chooser on the macs.  Print jobs from the mac will be piped to
/usr/bin/lpr.  Papd will look in the PPD file specified for information
about the printer's capabilities, should the mac ask (color supported,
postscript level, etc).

	Andy

---

From: Odhiambo Washington <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:17:41 +0300

* andrew morgan <[email-masked]> [20001025 22:40]:
Hi Andrew,
Thanks so much for this insight, but please let me ask another
question: Do you use FreeBSD? The reason is I do not seem to find any path
that contains /ppds/*.ppd.

Hope to hear again from you...

=>Here's a sample papd.conf file:
=>
=>My Printer:\
=>	:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Pmyprinter:\
=>	:pd=/etc/atalk/ppds/hp8100.ppd:
=>
=>Printer 2:\
=>	:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Pprinter2:\
=>	:pd=/etc/atalk/ppds/hp4500.ppd:
=>
=>This will create printers called "My Printer" and "Printer 2" in the
=>chooser on the macs.  Print jobs from the mac will be piped to
=>/usr/bin/lpr.  Papd will look in the PPD file specified for information
=>about the printer's capabilities, should the mac ask (color supported,
=>postscript level, etc).
=>
=>	Andy
=>

-Wash

If wires can be connected in two different ways, the first way blows the fuse.

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 06:02:23 +0200

Don't forget, that you'll most probably will need to set up on your
server some kind of PostScript interpreter software such as GhostScript
to rasterize the PostScript output from your Macs for your DeskJet.

---

From: Odhiambo Washington <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 15:46:23 +0300

* andrew morgan <[email-masked]> [20001025 22:40]:
=>
=>
=>On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
=>
=>> Hi people,
=>> I am writing to request your assistance in my dilemna. I've searched but
=>> I'm sorry to say but I just don't seem to find a good HOWTO on making some
=>> 2 Mac users on my network print to the HP DeskJet on my FreeBSD 4.1.1
=>> Windows lusers already can print.
=>> Netalk is already running....installed from the ports. The only remaining
=>> issue is the relevant configs.
=>> Any pointers, or even a walkthrough, will be highly appreciated. I'm sure
=>> someone in this list has a big heart and can help me.
=>
=>Here's a sample papd.conf file:
=>
=>My Printer:\
=>	:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Pmyprinter:\
=>	:pd=/etc/atalk/ppds/hp8100.ppd:
=>
=>Printer 2:\
=>	:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Pprinter2:\
=>	:pd=/etc/atalk/ppds/hp4500.ppd:
=>
=>This will create printers called "My Printer" and "Printer 2" in the
=>chooser on the macs.  Print jobs from the mac will be piped to
=>/usr/bin/lpr.  Papd will look in the PPD file specified for information
=>about the printer's capabilities, should the mac ask (color supported,
=>postscript level, etc).
=>
=>	Andy
=>
To add onto what I've written, the info for FreeBSD says a papd.conf is
really not necessary since  atalk will use /etc/printcap. That is the info
I get from papd.conf
"#       On many systems (notably not Solaris), no papd.conf is required,
 #       since papd shares the same defaults as lpd."
So in FreeBSD there is no papd.conf in /usr/local/etc/ as would be for
other services and if I try one there papd reports an error. Without one I
see papd registering a Laserwriter as shown below:
Oct 28 15:02:23 poeza papd[277]: register poeza:LaserWriter@*
Now what i don't understand is where it is getting this Laserwriter
from? Not from my /etc/printcap!

On a Mac I would expect a printer to show when the user opens chooser and
clicks on the servername that runs papd...but this doesn't happen...
More help urgently rqd..

Thanks

-Wash

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamer of dreams, wandering by lone 
sea-breakers, and sitting by desolate streams; world-losers and 
world-forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams: yet we are the movers and 
shakers of the world for ever, it seems. -Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy, 
"Ode"

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 08:11:16 -0700 (PDT)

> from? Not from my /etc/printcap!

I would recommend that you use a papd.conf and pipe the output to lpr
rather than letting papd mess around in the spool directory itself.  See
my example above.

What error do you get when you try to use a papd.conf file?

> clicks on the servername that runs papd...but this doesn't happen...

Printers will show up when you click on the LaserWriter icon in the
chooser, not on the Appleshare icon (which only shows file servers, not
print servers).

	Andy

---

From: Odhiambo Washington <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 15:33:26 +0300

I am still struggling.....
This is from the logs.....
Oct 28 15:02:23 poeza papd[277]: register poeza:LaserWriter@*

..and to test...

[wash@poeza:/var/log]> papstatus -p laserwriter
laserwriter:LaserWriter@*: NBP Lookup failed

Does this suggest anything....

=>

-Wash

Your eyebrows are as verdantly forrested as the seeded woodworms of my most 
sombre dreams.

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 12:48:46 -0700 (PDT)

Can you lpr to it?  If you do a "ps -ef|grep papd" do you see a papd
process running?

> =>postscript level, etc).

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/

---

From: Bill Holyoak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 14:36:19 -0600 (MDT)

> Does this suggest anything....

I'm a newbie and I just barely today got my printer working, so I hope I can
help cause I know how frusterating this stuff is.  But then, since I'm a newbie,
take my advice with a grain of salt: it might not be totally accurate.

First off I think I read somewhere (whilst looking for solutions to my own
problems) that papd doesn't like printers with spaces in the names.  So redo
your papd.conf file like this:

My_Printer:\

Printer_2:\

Try restarting papd and then type:

# papstatus -p My_Printer

or

# papstatus -p Printer_2

if it says something like 'status: print spooler processing job' then it should
be okay.

Second off, check out Andrew's pointers to me about my problems concerning the
specifics of the papd.conf configuration.  If everything is not perfect
(including spaces and tabs as well as formatting characters) in the config file,
papd will run (it shows up in the process list) but it will not run correctly. 
Check out your /var/log/messages file to make sure papd started up without
problems.  This was my whole problem which cost me two days of extreme
frusteration and I almost gave up.

Third off, I don't know if it matters, but you are missing the :op= statement
from those two printer deffinitions.

Hope this helps...

---

From: Odhiambo Washington <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:12:53 +0300

* Bill Holyoak <[email-masked]> [20001028 23:43]:
=>Quoting Odhiambo Washington <[email-masked]>:
=>
=>> =>Here's a sample papd.conf file:
=>> =>
=>> =>My Printer:\
=>> =>	:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Pmyprinter:\
=>> =>	:pd=/etc/atalk/ppds/hp8100.ppd:
=>> =>
=>> =>Printer 2:\
=>> =>	:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Pprinter2:\
=>> =>	:pd=/etc/atalk/ppds/hp4500.ppd:
=>> 
=>> I am still struggling.....
=>> This is from the logs.....
=>> Oct 28 15:02:23 poeza papd[277]: register poeza:LaserWriter@*
=>> 
=>> ..and to test...
=>> 
=>> [wash@poeza:/var/log]> papstatus -p laserwriter
=>> laserwriter:LaserWriter@*: NBP Lookup failed
=>> 
=>> Does this suggest anything....
=>
=>I'm a newbie and I just barely today got my printer working, so I hope I can
=>help cause I know how frusterating this stuff is.  But then, since I'm a newbie,
=>take my advice with a grain of salt: it might not be totally accurate.
=>
=>First off I think I read somewhere (whilst looking for solutions to my own
=>problems) that papd doesn't like printers with spaces in the names.  So redo
=>your papd.conf file like this:
=>
=>My_Printer:\
=>	:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Pmyprinter:\
=>	:pd=/etc/atalk/ppds/hp8100.ppd:
=>
=>Printer_2:\
=>	:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Pprinter2:\
=>	:pd=/etc/atalk/ppds/hp4500.ppd:
=>
=>Try restarting papd and then type:
=>
=># papstatus -p My_Printer
=>
=>or
=>
=># papstatus -p Printer_2
=>
=>if it says something like 'status: print spooler processing job' then it should
=>be okay.

Well I have that working fine.

=>
=>Second off, check out Andrew's pointers to me about my problems concerning the
=>specifics of the papd.conf configuration.  If everything is not perfect
=>(including spaces and tabs as well as formatting characters) in the config file,
=>papd will run (it shows up in the process list) but it will not run correctly. 
=>Check out your /var/log/messages file to make sure papd started up without
=>problems.  This was my whole problem which cost me two days of extreme
=>frusteration and I almost gave up.

I have mine working without papd.conf and the papstatus -p gives me the
impression that in FreeBSD no papd.conf is needed - papd actually uses
/etc/printcap.

=>
=>Third off, I don't know if it matters, but you are missing the :op= statement
=>from those two printer deffinitions.

At some point I read that they are not really necessary. In a papd.conf
they say you can have something like 

lp:\
	:

That would make papd to turn to the default values....

=>Hope this helps...

Thanks. I would want to think that the Macintosh (failing to see any
printers in the Chooser-->Appleshare) has it own problem. It is Mac OS 8.5
I think the FreeBSD boxes are okay...I have 3.5-STABLE and 4.1.1-STABLE
all behaving fine...so I suspect the Mac. Maybe you've got an idea about
what could be funny with the Mac?? It sees the two servers and can connect
to them but no printer shows in Appleshare...

admin:~$ papstatus -p lp2
status: print spooler processing job

admin:~$ papstatus -p lp
status: print spooler processing job

-Wash

With the whole world full of fools, there is none who thinks himself one, or 
even suspects it.