Subject: Printing from MacOS 9 to Debian i386 box's lp queue

From: Dustin Harriman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 12:02:56 -0600

I spent the last few days playing with netatalk so that Mac boxes could
print to a Debian (i386) box (with a PS printer, in my case a Lexmark
M410, hooked up to it's parallel port) without success.  There is almost
no documentation to be found on how to do this.  Perhaps this is because
there is an easier way, which I'd like to share.  By posting this
message, hopefully this easier way will be more easily found by others
in the future.

1) On the Debian box, set up the lp queue in the regular fashion (using
standard lpr package), ensure you can print text and ps documents from
the Debian box.

2) Add the Mac's IP address (which I'm assuming is on the same subnet as
the Debian box) to /etc/hosts.equiv

3) On the Mac: In "Macintosh  HD" -> "Apple Extras" -> "Apple Laser
Writer Software" -> "Desktop Printer Utility" -> Choose "Printer (LPR)"
-> Choose appropriate PPD file for the make and model of printer in the
top box, enter IP addr of Debian box and printer name as labeled in
Debian box's /etc/printcap, press "Verify", press "Create", save to
Desktop as meaningful name (IP addr will be default)

4) rejoice

--
Dustin Harriman                         Systems Administrator
Analog Design Automation Inc.
Suite 217, 116 Research Drive, Saskatoon, SK, Canada, S7N 3R3
Phone: 306.664.2087 ext. 26                 FAX: 306.664.4446