Subject: Re: tracking appletalk conections

From: Benjamin Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 17:54:52 -0500

At 10/15/00 6:37 AM, victor brito ([email-masked]) wrote:
>	I have recently setup a linux box running netatalk to share CDROMs. All
>apple clients use DDP to connect to this server. Everything runs as expected
>except the following issue :
>The CD Volumes can't be unmounted while some files remains opened by afpd
>processes.
>Of course, there is no workaround for this except stopping the afpd child
>process that owns the file. Before doing so , I would like to retrieve some
>information about the apple client associated to the afpd child process.

This one has been discussed on the list several times before.  There's no 
great way to do this and several okay ways; the best one involves 
associating process ids with AFP connection information using the syslog. 
 Several scripts have been tossed around the list:

atalklogger is a program I wrote in Tcl.  It runs as a daemon and can 
track AFP/IP, AFP/DDP, and PAP connections.
<http://prism.simplenet.com/atalklogger.tcl.gz>

Jim Hart and Squeegy have two versions of afpstat, a shell script/Perl 
script (take your pick).
<http://squeegy.org/programs/>

Tom Fitzgerald posted his script to the list a while back.  Search the 
archives for "atwho".

--Benjamin Gilbert