Subject: setting up netatalk

From: Hong F Du <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:14:38 -0400

Hi All,
I am trying to setup netatalk on Redhat 6.1, but it is not working.

Here is what I did:
1)downloaded the netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7.i386.rpm
2) then install it by command 'rpm -ivh
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7.i386.rpm'
3) edited only two lines in afpd.conf, they are
    -
    phys2 -port 12000 -address 134.74.32.31

4)atalkd.conf file was untouched
5) run atalkd, and afpd

>From a mac, I can see the file server name phys2. But when I click on
it, I got message say the server doesn't response, please try again.

Then, I rebooted my Linux server. I got message "can't register
eshop:netatalk@*"
After that, I cannot see any file server name from the mac anymore even
I restarted afpd and atalkd manually

What was I missing or did wrong?  How do I fix it? Thank you for your
help in advanced.

By the way I have ipmaq running, and the mac can access the internet.

Regards,

feng

---

From: Crystal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 14:03:51 -0500

> phys2 -port 12000 -address 134.74.32.31
AppleShare over IP uses port number 548. It won't work if you change it.

> I restarted afpd and atalkd manually

Make sure you have atalkd either loading in the kernel or as a module. If
atalkd is loading correctly (see /var/log/dmsg) check to make sure that your
interfaces are cleared of any EtherTalk addresses before starting atalkd
again.

C.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:16:57 -0700 (PDT)

> What was I missing or did wrong?  How do I fix it? Thank you for your

After you start netatalk, type "lsmod" from the linux command line.  Do
you see "appletalk" as a loaded module?  If not, try adding:

alias net-pf-5 appletalk

to the end of your /etc/conf.modules file.  You will then need to restart
netatalk and/or reboot the machine.  This line allows the linux kernel to
automatically load appletalk support when netatalk is started.

	Andy