Subject: took a depth look on netatalk

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 13:50:04 -0400

Dear,

I have having 2 problems with netatalk...

1. In some areas in a share, you probably don't want to allow write access.
For example, first level in a share.  You want your users to follow your
archives system.  Here comes the problem.  Let's say this is the archives
system layout:

/home/archives (mode 755, own by admin)
  projects (mode 777)
  development (mode 775)

If you connect to the share as user1, netatalk will think that
/home/archives does not own by you, and you can't create or overwrite
resource folks (.AppleDesktop/.AppleDouble).  Can netatalk be setup so that
it will check the permission against .AppleDesktop/.AppleDouble and not the
current path?

2. Can netatalk be setup so that it will be showing available space based on
current open path and not the share path?  If you have multi s-links in a
share, you are not going to get the correct available space.  You might even
have problems to upload files due to space calculation errors.

I appreciate if someone can address above comments.  Thank you for your time
and help.

Best Regards,
Alex

---

From: BWS - Offwhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 13:22:40 -0500 (CDT)

Netatalk needs several enhancements to raise it to the next level.  For
one, it would be useful to start a logging system like the Samba system
has.  It would be nice to know what client machine deleted or updated a
file.  It is also helpful to know when new mounts are opened.

But much work needs to be done in every area.  Instead of just complaining
I have started brushing up on my C skills.  Once I am up to speed again I
will start contributing code to the effort.

And after some initial learning I am finding it is not as difficult as I
had expected.  Sure some parts of the code may be complicated, but part of
improving the code is adding proper documentation.

Coding is not hard once you get past the first few obstacles.  I suggest
anyone that any interest at all, to give it a try.

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com