Subject: Strange "Verifying..." Problem with OS9.04

From: Glen Shere <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 10:08:45 -0400 (EDT)

Server... 1.4b2+asun2.1.4 on Solaris 7
Client... MacOS 9.04 on G4

We just purchased several labs worth of Mac G4s and they came with OS9.04. 
When we select our netatalk server in the chooser, the Mac displays a
"Verifying..." window for 20-30 seconds before the user gets the
username-and-password dialog.  This does not happen with the same server
and MacOS 8.6 on our G3s.  We can log-in and use the server just fine
after the 'verification', but this will quickly frustrate our users and
applications.

Does anyone know what causes this?
Does anyone know what it is "verifying"? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Glen Shere
Institutional Technology
Ringling School of Art and Design

---

From: Sak Wathanasin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:54:58 +0100

In reply to Glen Shere's message of the 17/05/2000 at 10:08 -0400,

>username-and-password dialog.  This does not happen with the same server

Well I'm typing this on a G4 with 9.0.4 happily connected to my 
netatalk server and I can't say that I've seen anything like the 
above. However, if memory serves, 30 secs is a DNS timeout which may 
or may not be relevant.

-- 
Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited
178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

Internet: [email-masked]
Phone: (+44) 24 76 41 99 96        Mobile: (+44) 79 70 75 19 12 
Fax: (+44) 24 76 69 06 90