Subject: Trouble with UAMs in 1.4.99.0-20001108

From: Matthew Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:20:28 -0800 (PST)

Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to get afpd running on our corporate fileserver (to let Mac
users access it too for pete's sake!)  And I'm being stopped by a rather
annoying problem.

I'm running slack 7.1 on a reasonably powerful machine.  The build goes
fine with a plain ./configure;make;make install.  I simply run:

/usr/sbin/afpd -U uams_clrtxt.so

And get blown off on the mac side with it complaingin about not having the
right authentication module.  If I simply run afpd, I am only allowed to
log in as guest.  I've played with all the config files to no avail.  I've
also run an strace on afpd, and it looks like its loading the libs (it at
least opens them all).

I've also tried this with 1.4.99-0.20000927, same thing.  What am I
missing?

Thanks Much!
Matthew Wilson

---

From: "Jonathan Newman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:18:52 -0800

> fine with a plain ./configure;make;make install.  I simply run:

Do you have shadow passwords enabled?

You might want pam support:

./configure --with-pam

or with shadow password support:

./configure --with-shadow

> right authentication module.  

What do you get in /var/log/messages?

> If I simply run afpd, I am 
> only allowed to

Well, the guest UAM seems to work at least.

---

From: Matthew Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:03:58 -0800 (PST)

> ./configure --with-shadow

I tried --with-shadow, and then --with-pam --with-shadow (is having both a
bad thing?)

> > And get blown off on the mac side with it complaining about 
> > not having the
> What do you get in /var/log/messages

ok, compiled fresh with --with-pam, execute with no options, no changes to
configs from install:

Nov 28 19:54:05 bigdogg2 afpd[15879]: ASIP started on 192.168.139.38:548(4) (1.5)
Nov 28 19:54:05 bigdogg2 afpd[15879]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
Nov 28 19:54:05 bigdogg2 afpd[15879]: uam: "No User Authent" available
Nov 28 19:54:11 bigdogg2 afpd[15881]: ASIP session:548(4) from 172.20.60.37:64001(5)
Nov 28 19:54:11 bigdogg2 afpd[15879]: server_child[1] 15881 done

And I'm only able to login as guest on the Mac.

--------------------

When run with '-U uams_pam.so':

Nov 28 19:56:11 bigdogg2 afpd[15906]: ASIP started on 192.168.139.38:548(4) (1.5)
Nov 28 19:56:17 bigdogg2 afpd[15907]: ASIP session:548(4) from 172.20.60.37:64002(5)
Nov 28 19:56:17 bigdogg2 afpd[15906]: server_child[1] 15907 done

And on the mac, I get:

"The User Authentication Method required by this server can't be found,
please check the AppleShare folder in the Extensions folder and try
again."

This is rather wierd, since the AppleShare extension lives in the
extensions folder, not a folder of the same same :P

> Well, the guest UAM seems to work at least.

:)~