Subject: Re: AppleVolumes.system need to be updated?

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 19:48:34 -0700

>works great! but only if you have macperl installed on your mac. my 
>efforts to find a non-corrupted, publicly available copy (from CPAN, etc) 
>were fruitless.

This one worked great for me:

http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/ports/mac/Mac_Perl_520r4_appl.bin

Steve Freitas

---

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 20:16:23 -0700

Cliff Crawford said:

>Really?  Did the Mac port available at
><http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/ports/index.html> not work for you?

i stand corrected. i tried six times on three different macs at work on 
monday. weird. theymustafixedit. 

----
Paul Krohn
[email-masked]

Microsoft is good. Seattle is warm and dry.

---

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 20:49:52 -0700

Steve Freitas said:

>>There was a perl script posted to the list which could read the info
>>from Internet Preferences.  I've included it below.
>
>Cool, thanks. Ran it, saw the output, and I'm not sure how we should 
>definitively decide what the Netatalk-included settings should be. 
>Meaning, we need to make some decisions about the default applications 
>used for these types, don't we? I might like SoundJam, while you're into 
>MacAmp. I see a lot of stuff pointing at GraphicConverter, which isn't 
>installed by default on Macs. Watcha think?
>
>Steve
>

well, my first thought is that trying to anticipate what people's 
preferences will be is for the birds. i would be to choose the openest 
and free-est defaults, with good instructions on how to customize. does 
anyone know, offhand, which of the pointing-to-graphicconverter file 
types can be handled by the ubiquitous PictureViewer?

-------------
"It is disgusting to notice the increase in the quantity of coffee used 
by my subjects, and the amount of money that goes out of the country as a 
consequence. Everybody is using coffee; this must be prevented. [...] 
Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on beer, and 
the King does not believe that coffee-drinking soldiers can be relied 
upon to endure hardships in case of another war."   
             -Frederick the Great, King of Prussia, 1774

---

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 10:54:34 -0700

>I'll volunteer to do this if nobody else is already tackling it.  Let me 
>know if you're already working on it.

I haven't started on it, so if you would do this, that would be great. 
The world is probably better off if I stay away from conf files and work 
on documentation. :-)

Steve

---

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2000 19:10:31 -0700

Luke McNeilage passed this link to me which may be useful to you:

http://tcdb.tripod.com/index.html

Unfortunately the big database (with 33,000+ codes) is shareware, so 
there might be some violation if we were to use it. However, there is a 
freeware collection that may be usable.

Steve