Subject: OSS

From: "Radar O'Reilly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 07:24:01 -0400 (EDT)

Did Wes give his blessing to the official transfer to OSS? I remember someone
asking him, but I don't remember if there was a response.

I had thought that the reason for the continued +asun2xx was that there were
issues with Umich and ownership of netatalk....

 __________/| Nathan "Radar" Willard MC '00     | "A Sucking Chest Wound is
(_|__|_____\|________      PO Box 203927        |   nature's way of telling 
     |_|_____________)- New Haven, CT 06520     |     you to slow down."

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 09:23:54 -0400

> From:    "Radar O'Reilly" <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> asking him, but I don't remember if there was a response.

The copyright says it all.  I'm happy to see people interested in
developing netatalk.  I'll be more happy when there is an actual
release that is non-beta, well tested, and works on all reputibly
supported platforms.

> issues with Umich and ownership of netatalk....

Not at all.  The issue with "+asun" is the above: I'm not willing to
integrate, test, document, and release new versions of netatalk.  I'm
particularly not willing to accept a massive set of changes, not in
patch format, and just release it without testing and support.

If there are people who are willing to do the testing, answer the
questions, write the documention, create the packages, etc, then that's
great.  We've been willing to provide such an effort with network,
hardware, and basic sysadmin support.  However, if the people doing the
work want it hosted on sourceforge, that's great, too.

:wes