Subject: bugs or normal?

From: Hong F Du <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 16:08:31 -0400

Hi All,
I have netatalk netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7.i386.rpm running under Redhat
6.1.
There are two network cards in my linux box. eth0 is connected to
internet, mac router and other existing Macs in, say 'good zone', with
legal ip,  eth1 is connected to a mac LAN with private ip (192.168.1.0)

Problems:
Each time I restart atalkd, it causes all macs in 'good zone' lose zone
and printer connections. I have to re-setup AppleTalk and Chooser on
each mac there.

Is this normall for netatalk or AppleTalk? There is a  router running in
the 'good zone'  already, and my atalkd gets routing information from it
and proving nothing new to the network on eth0, why dose my restarted
atalkd effect the entire 'good zone' on eth0? Is there a way to avoid
this happening?

Thank you for your help.

feng

---

From: Jolly Roger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 18:47:20 -0500

on 7/8/2000 5:06 PM, netatalk Admins List at [email-masked]
wrote:

> Your e-mail message has been returned to you, as the "gar.esys.com" domain
> address is no longer valid.  The E-Systems Garland facility is now a part
> of Raytheon, and all e-mail addresses are "@raytheon.com".  Please resend
> your e-mail message in the format:  [email-masked]
> (e.g. [email-masked]).  If you do not know the middle initial, try
> the format:  [email-masked] ; in most cases, this will work.
> If not, you should get an error message returned to you.  To reach the
> Raytheon Garland facility helpdesk for more information, dial 972-205-4357.

Is anyone else receiving these messages?

---

From: "Andrew J. Hutton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:57:38 -0400

I would like to hear about anyone's experience getting Netatalk
volumes re-exported via SMB so that both Windows and Mac clients
can share access to the same files.  Please cc: my personal mail
as well as OLS is 8 days away and I'm somewhat frenzied at the
moment trying to get everything complete.

-- 
Andrew J. Hutton,
Ottawa Linux Symposium, July 19th-22nd, 2000
http://www.ottawalinuxsymposium.org/

---

From: Hong F Du <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:13:28 -0400

Yes, I did. And my mails sending to [email-masked] was also bounced back
to me with this same kind of message. What is going on? How shoul I send mail to
[email-masked]?

feng

---

From: Moritz Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:14:39 +0200 (CEST)

> can share access to the same files.  Please cc: my personal mail
It ist possible.

Some caveats:
Depending on the level of security you want in your LAN, you will have to
select different authentication mechanisms. If you want encrypted
SMB-Passwords, you need seperate password databases for netatalk and
samba.

If you have your netatalk configured to save the resource fork, every user
will see the ".AppleDouble"-directories in his browser in Win **; also
.AppleDesktop and other stuff. This will not lead to serious problems
AFAIK. 

Samba offers a bigger variety for defining access rules and group
permissions. You will have to figure out the sense of every measure for
your purpose.

If it is needed I can send you my smb.conf and other info.

Regards,
Moritz

__________________________________________________________
Moritz Kaiser
Studentische Vertretung, Technische Universitaet Muenchen
Europe / Germany

---

From: "Wilson Fletcher" <wilsonf@[203.26.11.154]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 15:33:19 +1000

I've just done this. I had Samba providing SMB access but we started a 3
month project and the users on the project were Mac users. I just installed
netatlk1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7.rpm, made a change to the start up script to make
sure it loaded appletalk.o and now I have both Mac and PC users accessing
the same share.

I didn't worry about encryption etc because it's all behind our firewall.

The problems I had were:

a) It was confusing at first whether I should use just the netatalk labelled
non beta (which doesn't have asuns extensions) or 1.4b2 with asuns
extensions

b) I had trouble compiling it but found an rpm
(netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7.rpm) that installed onto RH6.2 very nicely.
(Being stubborn I also got it compiled but I didn't need it by that stage).

c) atalkd wasn't starting because the appletalk.o module wasn't loading. I
added a line to the /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk script to load the module first.

d) Although I had read that Mac was limited to 8 char passwords I didn't
heed it and so had to cut down the passwords to 8 chars

e) Users on the Macs created a number of sub directories with names
containing slashes. The PC's could not see these. ie. don't use slashes in
names.

f) The Macs printed postscript dumps but I got it to work bu altering font
download options. ie. I told the Mac driver to download all the fonts and it
was fine (it was only a little Hp IIP.

g) Not having touched a Mac for about 5 years (thank God) I had trouble with
the dhcp. All my PCs just plug in and dhcp their ip. domains etc. The Macs
didn't seem to be picking these up so I just set them manually (it's only a
3 month project)..

h) I had to reconfigure my directory permissions so that the group was
forced for the Mac users. Samba handles this in it's config but netatalk
relies on the parent directory permissions and the current user id.

All seems to be working well and both Mac and PC users are now filling up
the storage space on the file server at a horifying rate.

good luck,

Wilson