Subject: Help ... missing directory

From: Brice Ruth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:08:26 -0600

Let me preface this message: I'm DESPERATE

OK, that being said, here goes:

My setup:
SMP i686 (PIII) running linux-2.4-xfs from CVS updated 12/11/2000 around 
9pm (CST).

I have a 20GB ide disk dedicated to XFS.  The main use of the disk is as 
a shared drive (via Appletalk) to our small group of designers.  Late 
this evening (about an hour ago) a designer noticed a directory missing 
from the share.  I logged into the server, did an ls of the share and 
sure enough, the directory was gone.  I have these entries from the log 
around that time:

Dec 14 18:00:24 construct afpd[2611]: refused connect from 10.0.0.16
Dec 14 18:00:24 construct afpd[2611]: dsi_getsess: Interrupted system call
Dec 14 18:00:33 construct afpd[5819]: session from 65339.5:247 on 3001.1:131
Dec 14 18:00:33 construct afpd[5819]: randnum/rand2num login: paulc
Dec 14 18:00:33 construct afpd[5819]: login paulc (uid 505, gid 250)
Dec 14 18:00:35 construct afpd[2611]: refused connect from 10.0.0.16
Dec 14 18:00:35 construct afpd[2611]: dsi_getsess: Interrupted system call
Dec 14 18:00:35 construct afpd[2611]: refused connect from 10.0.0.16
Dec 14 18:00:35 construct afpd[2611]: dsi_getsess: Interrupted system call
Dec 14 18:00:36 construct afpd[2611]: refused connect from 10.0.0.16
Dec 14 18:00:36 construct afpd[2611]: dsi_getsess: Interrupted system call

Obviously these aren't entries from XFS, they're from netatalk.  What I 
need to know is if there is ANY (I truly mean *ANY*) way to turn back 
the clock.  I'm not familiar enough with the XFS tools to play around 
with them without fear of trashing something else.  I tried to use 
xfs_logprint, but wasn't able to actually understand anything.

Please, please, please help.

Sincerest regards,

-- 
Brice Ruth
WebProjkt, Inc.
VP, Director of Internet Technology
http://www.webprojkt.com/

---

From: "Nathan Scott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:39:34 -0400

hi Brice,

On Dec 14,  7:08pm, Brice Ruth wrote:
> Subject: Help ... missing directory
> sure enough, the directory was gone.
> ...

I think the best thing you can do is unmount the filesystem
and run xfs_repair(8) on the block device.  Use the -n option
(no writes) at first to see whether it is going to do anything.

If xfs_repair shows no fs corruption, I don't think there's much
else you can do.  If the directory was somehow corrupted, then
xfs_repair will move its disconnected children into the
/lost+found directory, and you could still have everything else
intact.

hope this helps.

cheers.

-- 
Nathan