Subject: Re: netatalk is not working

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:52:39 -0700

looks like netatalk is defaulting to eth0, which, in your case, is wrong. 
you could start with just "eth1" in atalkd.conf.

there's also the possibility that you don't have appletalk support 
compiled in to your kernel (the module is "appletalk.o", at least on 
kernel verison 2.2.14).

can mac clients connect via the ip address/dns name? that will at least 
tell you if our afpd.conf and AppleVolumes setup is correct. good to get 
that just right before users can find the server anyway!

what version of netatalk are you using? what linux distribution and 
kernel?

Hong F Du said:

>Hi All,
>
>After reboot, I got the following message:
>
>Jun 28 16:54:29 eshop atalkd[652]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
>Jun 28 16:54:29 eshop atalkd[652]: zip gnireply from 6500.202 (eth0 12)
>Jun 28 16:54:29 eshop atalkd[652]: zip_packet configured eth0 from
>6500.202
>Jun 28 16:54:30 eshop atalkd[652]: bind 6500.148:6: Address already in
>use
>Jun 28 16:54:30 eshop atalkd: AppleTalk not up! Child exited with 1.
>Jun 28 16:54:30 eshop atalk: atalkd startup failed
>Jun 28 16:54:32 eshop atalk: papd startup succeeded
>Jun 28 16:54:32 eshop papd[683]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
>Jun 28 16:54:33 eshop atalk: afpd startup succeeded
>Jun 28 16:54:33 eshop afpd[694]: main: atp_open: Cannot assign requested
>
>address
>Jun 28 16:54:33 eshop afpd[694]: ASIP started on 134.74.52.32:548(1)
>(1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
>Jun 28 16:54:33 eshop afpd[694]: main: atp_open: Cannot assign requested
>
>address
>Jun 28 16:54:33 eshop afpd[694]: main: dsi_init: Address already in use
>
>
>Macs cannot see any zones from LAN. There are two network cards in my
>liunx
>box, eth0 goes to internet, eth1 connected to LAN with Macs.
>
>What is wrong with my setup? Do I have to configure each eth in
>atalkd.conf? How? Do you have a working example for me to see?
>
>Thank you for any help!
>
>feng

---

From: Hong F Du <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 15:02:33 -0400

I am running Redhat 6.1.  Netatalk was installed by command  'rpm -ivh
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7.i386.rpm'

Appletalk is running in module, and I can see appletalk listed by using
"lsmod" command.

eth0 is connected to internet and other Macs in different zones, a Mac router
is also on eth0 side too.
eth1 is as a gateway for a new group of macs to connect outside and other
Macs in different zones.

The first time I ran atalkd, it automatically set the atalkd.conf for me one
of the line was:

eth0 -phase 2 -net 6500 addr 6500.149 -zone "sci" -zone "biophy"

Then I couldn see the zone names from a mac on eth1 side, but I couldn't see
any mac in side those zones.

By far, I still cannot find out what is wrong. Providing the above info, can
you give more help?