Subject: Fun with Solaris, and mail archive for year 2000

From: Roger Ivie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:25:17 -0700

I've been using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4 pre 35 with a couple
of personal patches happily on a FreeBSD server for some time
now. I've been asked about getting netatalk running on one
of our new Solaris boxes. Of course, the first thing I figured
I should try was the latest stuff over on sourceforge, so I
grabbed netatalk-1.4.99-0.20001108.

The first things I've noticed are:

- It appears to rely on some other tools (libtools and
   automake), but I don't know if it needs some particular
   version (interestingly, INSTALL is symlinked to
   /usr/share/automake/INSTALL, so I don't even have any
   documentation about how it's _supposed_ to be installed).
- It seems to assume libtool and automake are installed with
   a prefix of /usr rather than /usr/local. I'm not sure I
   want to do that, and I'm also not sure I want to search
   the netatalk tree to find things that are symlinked
   inappropriately so I can fix them by hand.
- There doesn't seem to be an archive of this mailing list
   for the year 2000. Presumably all of these would be addressed
   in such an archive, if it existed.

I would welcome pointers to current documentation about
installing recent versions of netatalk.

I've also played with the version of netatalk I've been
using on FreeBSD. I have gotten it to compile, but can't
get it to run for two reasons:

- The ddp kernel module doesn't load (I'm using Solaris 7).
   Well, it loads but it doesn't attach.
- The UAMS don't load, so I can't log in even if I stick
   with TCP/IP.

Now, one of the personal patches I've done to this version
of netatalk involves creating the UAMS; I had to muck about
with the Makefiles to get them to work properly on FreeBSD,
so it's possible that I need to do some similar mucking about
with the Solaris makefiles, especially where the only
development tools I have are the GNU ones.

I don't suppose anyone has any pointers for me on building
1.4b2+asun2.1.4 pre 35 under Solaris 7?
--
Roger Ivie
[email-masked]
Not speaking for TeraGlobal Communications Corporation