Subject: Two servers --Solved!!!

From: "Joe Rhodes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 22:01:50 CST

I think anyway.

	For the sake of someone searching through the archives for this at a latter 
date, here's a synopsis of the problem:
	You have two netatalk servers (RedHat Linux Based--Intel or LinuxPPC) 
running on the same network.  They have different names, and each show up in 
the chooser seperately.  However, when you log into one, the client mac sees 
the other as the same server as the first one you logged onto--and vice 
versa.

	Getting both servers to be recognized as different servers involved getting 
them to have unique server signatures.  As was pointed out to me, this is 
directly affected by the value returned by the hostid command.  For 
instance, my results from hostid were 17f00.  Looking at that, 7f is hex for 
127.

	As it turns out, the hostid is based off your server name and whatever that 
server name has for an address in /etc/hosts.  For instance, in the file 
/etc/HOSTNAME my test server is called LittleLinux. In /etc/hosts I MUST 
have a line that goes something like this:
192.168.0.1  LittleLinux	LittleLinux.localdomain

You can (and probably should, but I don't know, I'm no expert) have the 
default line of
127.0.0.1	localhost	localhost.localdomain
in there.  As long as the machine can find a match to what it thinks is the 
hostname, it will hash that IP address as the hostid, and consequently, as 
the Server Signature.  By testing, I found it makes no difference what order 
the lines appear.

	If you do not have a line that matches, the machine will use the 
"localhost" entry.  I ended up with two servers both hashing 127.0.0.1 as a 
hostid.

The number here does not HAVE to be the correct IP address.  (For instance, 
on my test machine, I run as a DHCP client, but I just left that 192.168 
address there for grins.)  If you do have the correct address there, then it 
will be transmitted to your client, and if the client will support it, it 
will connect via TCP/IP.  (Unless you specify otherwise in your config 
file.)

I need to make sure and give a big THANK YOU to all the people that helped 
me figure this one out.  It's really cool how quickly you all responded with 
suggestions even though I'm sure you're all pretty busy with your own 
problems.

Does anyone know if there is an FAQ-O-Matic that this should go in?  Perhaps 
a centrally kept FAQ somewhere?  Or do we just rely on the e-mail archive 
searches for this?  (Which is primarily what I've been using.)

Thanks again everyone!

-Joe Rhodes

"Contrary to popular belief, Unix is very user friendly.
It's just very picky about who its friends are."

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.

---

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 06:11:08 -0500

>         Getting both servers to be recognized as different servers 
> involved getting them to have unique server signatures.  As was pointed 
> out to me, this is directly affected by the value returned by the hostid 
> command.  For instance, my results from hostid were 17f00.  Looking at 
> that, 7f is hex for 127.

I don't think you're wrong at all, but I'm curious, why does 
0x00017e0000017e0000017e0000017e00  seem to repeat. Is it repeating 127 4x?

What if you had 192.n.n.n? or 172? or anything for that matter? Would it 
repeat the hex for 192, 172, ...? I'll have to look at mine. I think mine 
repeated also <eeeek>.

-Wes Yates
-Wes Yates
Netatalk Admin
Arts Engraving Company.

"The box said it 'Requires Windows95 or better.' So I installed Linux"

---

From: Frank Jördens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 12:50:55 +0100

Since I have an environment where both Mac and PC users are accessing
the same box, and most of them speak German, I want umlauts to be
handled by both netatalk and samba in the same way. At the moment, it
doesn't work, so I asked and looked around to find this posting:

http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/1998/0018.html

which seems to correspond to this patch

http://www.kurzschluss.com/netatalk-iso/netatalk-iso.tar.gz

which unfortunately doesn't work with netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3; the
patchfile mentions netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2, which is a really old
version. Also, what's confusing is that the ChangeLog for
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 says 

1998-12-29  a sun  <[email-masked]>

        * etc/afpd/fork.c, directory.c, file.c, filedir.c, volume.c,
        enumerate.c: added in stubs for CNID database conditional on
        AD_VERSION > AD_VERSION1.

        * etc/afpd/nls/makecode.c: added iso8859-1 mapping.

which would suggest that the patch is not needed. But if it's in the
version that I am running already, how do I enable it? In samba, you
switch on the iso8859-1 mapping with an smb.conf option.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Frank

-- 
frank joerdens               

joerdens new media
urbanstr. 116
10967 berlin
germany

e: [email-masked]
t: +49 (0)30 69597650
f: +49 (0)30 7864046 
h: http://www.joerdens.de

pgp public key: http://www.joerdens.de/pgp/frank_joerdens.asc

---

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:30:36 -0500

>>involved getting them to have unique server signatures.  As was 
>>pointed out to me, this is directly affected by the value returned 
>>by the hostid command.  For instance, my results from hostid were 
>>17f00.  Looking at that, 7f is hex for 127.
>
>What if you had 192.n.n.n? or 172? or anything for that matter? 
>Would it repeat the hex for 192, 172, ...? I'll have to look at 
>mine. I think mine repeated also <eeeek>.

Update:

my server signature is:
0x6DB8B0086DB8B0086DB8B0086DB8B008

the /etc/HOSTNAME is artsengraving.com and there is a line in /etc/hosts
192.168.110.200 iserver		artsengraving.com

hostname() returns iserver (obviously).

I wonder why the server signature is repeating. Is it hex for 192?

-- 
-Wes Yates
Arts Engraving
704-523-5115
[email-masked]

"It is now safe to shut off your computer"

Yes. Fitting last words.