Subject: RE: Here's a question or two...

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 11:38:43 -0500

>  > Update:
>>
>>  my server signature is:
>>  0x6DB8B0086DB8B0086DB8B0086DB8B008
>>
>>  the /etc/HOSTNAME is artsengraving.com and there is a line
>>  in /etc/hosts
>>  192.168.110.200 iserver		artsengraving.com
>>
>>  hostname() returns iserver (obviously).
>>
>>  I wonder why the server signature is repeating. Is it hex for 192?
>
>The hostid that netatalk uses doesn't have to be based on the ip
>address.  It just happens to be that it is.  hostid is supposed to
>return a "unique" 4 byte number that is consistent between reboots.
>
>In your case, it doesn't look like the signature is based on that ip
>address at all.  Does the box have more than one interface?
>
>0x6d = 109
>0xb8 = 184
>0xb0 = 176
>0x08 = 8

Why how observant! I do have two NICs. And how odd you ask...

When I use the ServerInfo PPC as mentioned earlier, I get the IP of 
the Netatalk host as being 192.168.110.200 - eth1, though, through 
ASIP client (Mac) I key in 192.168.110.210 for eth0. Hmmmmmmmmm.

I'm not trying to start a new thread on the same subject, but this is 
interesting to me!

Ok, so now, why am I connected to eth1 instead of eth0? my topology 
_can_ allow me to connect to either, though I thought I didn't. I 
wonder why I'm on eth0?

I suppose if I used another hostname, I would get a different 
signature. Interesting.

I have a line in atalkd.conf:
eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.97

So I should be on eth0/192.168.110.210, right? ServerInfo also 
reports the AppleTalk address is net 65280, Node :97, socket :128. I 
don't see any relationship with the above server signature....

Just curious...

Now, overall (with exception I'll mention later) I have no problems. 
I have one server, so my involvement in this thread is minimal (and 
quite trivial).

The only problem I have is with passwords. I had made a presentation 
to my LUG on the installation of Netatalk based on Anders 
Brownworth's method. I had sucessfully installed Netatalk+asun 
v.2.1.4 and had authentication and users homes show up sucessfully. 
The distro on the demo machine was the same though some of the 
packages _had_ been updated (glibc).

I installed the same distro (same CD's) on our box I am referencing 
above. However, when I installed netatalk I didn't have password 
checking (Netatalk didn't authenticate registered users). Since, I 
have installed an RPM and am back to normal, but what would be a 
reason Netatalk would authenticate on one box and not the other? That 
is, where should I start looking?

Distro: RH6.0 both using PAM and both netatalk installations have PAM 
uncommented out in the root Makefile.

Thanks!

-Wes
-- 
-Wes Yates
Arts Engraving
704-523-5115
[email-masked]

"It is now safe to shut off your computer"

Yes. Fitting last words.

---

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 12:32:57 -0500

>The gethostid function that netatalk uses to create the signature
>could use any ip address on the box.  It just happens that it is using
>one that isn't being used as the netatalk interface.  This is why I
>think the code is broken.  We should be able to specify a server id
>somewhere in the config file, I think.

Ahhhhhhh. probably a thread I'm not familiar with.....I 'll research it.

>
>As for your authentication problems, what is the output for afpd on
>startup in /var/log/messages?  What messages do you get in
>/var/log/messages when an authentication fails?
>
>Jon

/var/log/messages? Ooooops. forgot to check that (i'm an idiot). 
Actually I had to "fix" the problem before the next morning and 
forgot to check that. I'll go back and do that. What should I be 
looking for? That is, what kinds of errors would I be seeing re: 
authentication/netatalk?

Thanks for all your help (before I forget).

-- 
-Wes Yates
Arts Engraving
704-523-5115
[email-masked]

Yes. Fitting last words.