Subject: Re: Two servers --getting closer

From: "Joe Rhodes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 23:13:23 CST

Well, I think I'm getting closer...

On Jon Newman's suggestions, I downloaded ServerInfo.  (Cool little utility, 
BTW.  Thanks!)

Indeed, both of the linux boxes have the same server signature:

0x00017e0000017e0000017e0000017e00

Now the question is, How the hell does one change this?  Is it something 
compiled in or is it set somewhere?  I don't see anything that looks like it 
would help in the config files.

BTW:  what does the "server_quantum" flag do in the afpd.conf file do?  (I 
tried changing this in hopes it might be the signature--no luck.)

Thanks!
-Joe Rhodes

"Contrary to popular belief, Unix is very user friendly.
It's just very picky about who its friends are."
_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.

---

From: "Jonathan Newman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 07:27:30 -0800

> On Jon Newman's suggestions, I downloaded ServerInfo.

Actually, Leland Wallace pointed me at it.  Thanks should go to him.

> Now the question is, How the hell does one change this?  Is

The code lies in etc/afpd/status.c  the function is called
status_signature.  It looks like the code uses gethostid() to
determine the ID.

FWIW, this seems to work correctly on two intel based linux machines

What does "hostid" return when you type it in on the command line of
your two machines?

Jon