Subject: IP Aliasing

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:22:53 -0500 (CDT)

I have a Red Hat 6.1 box running kernel 2.2.14 and Netatalk
1.4b2+asun2.1.3. I am trying to alias an IP to eth0.

I set up the alias in linuxconf and able to ping the IP and verify that
the network interface card's hardware address shows up when arp-ing from
an NT box.

The kernel is configured for IP aliasing and in fact the Apache virtual
domain assigned to the aliased IP address works fine.

The problem is some sort of Bind error when Netatalk initiates. Here is
what is present in the syslog:

Apr 26 15:09:15 www atalkd[1141]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Apr 26 15:09:17 www atalkd[1141]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Apr 26 15:09:17 www atalkd[1141]: zip gnireply from 44038.1 (eth0 12)
Apr 26 15:09:17 www atalkd[1141]: zip_packet configured eth0 from 44038.1
Apr 26 15:09:17 www atalkd[1141]: setifaddr: eth0:0: No such device
Apr 26 15:09:17 www atalkd[1141]: difaddr(44038.0): No such device
Apr 26 15:09:17 www atalkd: difaddr(0.0): No such device
Apr 26 15:09:17 www atalkd: AppleTalk not up! Child exited with 1.
Apr 26 15:09:17 www atalk: atalkd startup failed

Lines 5-8 make no sense to me. Both IP addresses are registered with a DNS
server. I have another Linux box set up with the same version of Netatalk
and doing IP aliasing so I know it will work. Too bad someone else set the
box up.

Thanks for your help.
-Dan

Daniel E. Lautenschleger
University of Wisconsin
R.M. Bock Laboratories Network Administrator and Computer Support
[email-masked]
608.262.3403

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 00:27:49 +0200 (MEST)

> and doing IP aliasing so I know it will work. Too bad someone else set the

Hm, have a look into your atalkd.conf. atalkd tries to scan for interfaces
by itself if atalkd.conf is empty. If there are predefined entries, your
eth0:0 will be possibly ignored (not tested, only my theory!).

:wq! PoC

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 00:53:51 -0700

on 4/26/00 1:22 PM, Daniel E. Lautenschleger at [email-masked]
wrote:

> I have another Linux box set up with the same version of Netatalk

Could be (pure hypothesis) that whoever set the box up, didn't install the
RH upgrades to facilitate Virtual IP addresses (latest initscripts). Might
be worth installing.

Otherwise, do it right - set the box up yourself.

Harry

---

From: "thomas.riewe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 12:14:25 +0200 (CEST)

> eth0:0 will be possibly ignored (not tested, only my theory!).
i tested a while ago
poc's theory was right,
aliased interfaces didn't work (kernl 2.2.13, asun 2.1.4)

hth,
thomas (R)