Subject: Re: NEWBIE Problem, can't log in as user, guest okay

From: Erik Scholtz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 00 11:28:43 +0100

Hello,

I had the same problem. I solved it with the installation of several 
libraries and functions:

- pam
- pwdb
- openssl

You then have to configure your Makefile. Use pam-support and Encryption. 
I had to configure the absolut path to ssl in etc/uam/uam_dhx_pam.c and 
etc/uam/uam_dhx_passwd.c (bn.h, ...). Then it worked.

Hope this helped you.
Regards
Erik

>When I try to log in as a user (myself), I get the error message "The
>connection to this server has been unexpectedly broken".  Guest log in is
>okay.
>
>I am using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on Solaris 5.6.  Taking my cue from the
>FAQ, I built the system with -DSHADOWPW added to the etc/afpd Makefile, and
>checked that my shell is in /etc/shells.  Also, I do have a .AppleVolumes
>file in my home directory.  I have tried with the file in place and
>without.  Also, it does not appear to be password related because I get a
>specific password error when I use the wrong password.
>
>I'm a newbie to netatalk, so I'll bet I'm missing something obvious.
>Anybody got a clue?
>
>Thanks,
>Rob
>
>
>       _ _ _ _           _    _ _ _ _ _
>      /\_\_\_\_\        /\_\ /\_\_\_\_\_\
>     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
>    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
>   /\/_/_/_/_/ /\_\  /\/_/    /\/_/
>  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
>  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)
>  
>  Rob Tanner
>  UNIX and Networks Manager
>  Linfield College, McMinnville OR
>  (503) 434-2558 <[email-masked]>
>
>

---

From: Rob Tanner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:43:25 -0800

I'm running on a Sun box which already includes PAM and pwdb appears to be
a LINUX utility and not applicable.  But, believe it or not (ala Ripley),
when I disabled PAM in the makefile, and rebuilt and reinstalled, my
problems went away.

But now that I can log in as a user and all that good stuff, have I
inadvertently opened up any holes?

-- Rob

--On Friday, January 21, 2000 11:28 AM +0100 Erik Scholtz
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> I am using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on Solaris 5.6.  Taking my cue from
>> the FAQ, I built the system with -DSHADOWPW added to the etc/afpd
>> Makefile, and checked that my shell is in /etc/shells.  Also, I do have
>> a .AppleVolumes file in my home directory.  I have tried with the file
>> in place and without.  Also, it does not appear to be password related
>> because I get a specific password error when I use the wrong password.
>> 

       _ _ _ _           _    _ _ _ _ _
  
  Rob Tanner
  Manager of Systems and Communications
  Linfield College, McMinnville OR
  (503) 434-2558 <[email-masked]>