Subject: Apple Double?

From: Bill Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 15:01:14 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

I'm at 1.42b+asun2.1.3 on Solaris 2.6. I was having all sorts of problems
with clients reading .AppleDouble files (from a 1.42.b+asun2.1.0 setup),
so I decided to cleanse the file system by removing all the .AppleDouble
files, figuring they would be recreated, no big deal.

Well, that went ok and works, users have to open their files within the
application for the document, no big deal. However, the .AppleDouble files
created are bogus, I've been getting the following in syslog:

afpd[17612]: ad_refresh: can't parse AppleDouble header.
afpd[17084]: ad_refresh: can't parse AppleDouble header.

I've also noticed that the icon given to the file is not that of the
application used to modify/save the file. Seems to me a field is off
somewhere. Is there a fix for this? The only compile time settings I
changed were to leave out PAM support and enable Berkeley DB. Is there
something else I should have included?

Thanks,

Bill Carlson
------------
Systems Programmer    [email-masked]	|  Opinions are mine,
Virtual Hospital      http://www.vh.org/        |  not my employer's.
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics	|

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:51:34 +0200

>files, figuring they would be recreated, no big deal.

If you don't have any programs, this is okay.

>afpd[17084]: ad_refresh: can't parse AppleDouble header.

Are you sure that they have been recreated at this point?

>application used to modify/save the file.

If there are no .AppleDouble files, files are mapped via extension mappings in an AppleVolumes File. Have a look into this.

>Seems to me a field is off

No, I dont' think so.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Philip Bertuglia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 17:12:36 -0400 (EDT)

Bill,

We have been getting the same errors. I thought this was because of our
upgrade to a newer version of netatalk, but now, I'm not so sure. 

I don't think that you can get away with removing the .AppleDouble files
for every application. Did you encounter any problems with this approch?
If so, what applications are your files created with?

Philip Bertuglia
Systems Administrator

---

From: Bill Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 16:22:27 -0500 (CDT)

> If so, what applications are your files created with?

The files are all HTML or JPGs with a few GIFs, ie standard web documents.
In my case the Applications are faily simple, BBEdit, Photoshop and Claris
Homepage.

I've found that using "Save As" instead of modify and then "Save" works
the way I would expect. I still seem to get the "parse" error messages,
but that may be due to other files within the directory...

Bill Carlson
------------

---

From: Bill Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 16:35:14 -0500 (CDT)

> If you don't have any programs, this is okay.

I'll store that away for future reference...Anyone have a pointer to
something that explains what is going on with these files? I thought they
basically fulfilled the role of "associations" under ol' Windoze, but
there must be more to it than that....TIA

> Are you sure that they have been recreated at this point?

Yep, files are sitting there...

> If there are no .AppleDouble files, files are mapped via extension mappings in an AppleVolumes File. Have a look into this.

That triggered an AH HA! but turned out to be nothing...:(

Bill Carlson
------------

---

From: Philip Bertuglia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 17:40:02 -0400 (EDT)

Is it true that on most applications the resource fork contains more then
just he creator information? I was under the impression that the
application uses the information as well. Thus, a file with no resource fork
is almost totally useless. I hope I'm wrong, because this would save me a
lot of time. 

Phil

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 23:52:16 +0200

>there must be more to it than that....TIA

Basically anything what cannot be stored in the data fork of a file is stored in .AppleDouble Files: Mac-Resources, Mac-specific file-flags, etc.

WARNING: If you delete a programs resource fork the program is no longer useable! Even some files will get destroyed with such a step (Macintosh Finder Clips for example).

>Yep, files are sitting there...

Access to these files is also possible (user/group permissions, file and dir modes)?

>That triggered an AH HA! but turned out to be nothing...:(

Hm.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 23:55:18 +0200

At 17:40 Uhr -0400 03.04.2000, Philip Bertuglia wrote:

>just he creator information?

To store the creator information there is no resource fork neccessary.
Netatalk stores more than just the resource fork in .AppleDouble files.

>I was under the impression that the
>is almost totally useless.

This depends on the type of the file. A JPEG file won't need any resource fork. If you add a preview and a finder icon, these things are stored in the resource fork (easy verifyable with ResEdit).

:wq! PoC

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 00:02:45 +0200

>In my case the Applications are faily simple, BBEdit, Photoshop and Claris

Nothing very special indeed.

>but that may be due to other files within the directory...

As soon as you open a file a corresponding entry wil be created in .AppleDouble. This stores simply the raw information the extension mappings provide to the Finder.

If you do not plan to store anything more special but these types of files, you may manually set extension -> type/creator in AppleVolumes.* and for the volume itself the option noadouble to prevent netatalk in creating unneccessary files. .AppleDouble files are only created if a true Mac Resource information must be stored.
This may prevent your errors from appearing and won't crowd your disks unneccessary. :-)

:wq! PoC

---

From: Keith Lamont <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 16:58:02 -0500

A resource fork contains resources associated with the file. Many 
data files have little or no resources. Resources can include creator 
information, custom icons, of whatever the software developer deems 
essential. Application files contain their (68K) code in the resource 
fork. Resource forks are more used by application files than by data 
files.

Keith

>>  If there are no .AppleDouble files, files are mapped via extension 
>>mappings in an AppleVolumes File. Have a look into this.
>>