Subject: RH 5.2 Netatalk install

From: Richard Kieran <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 22:33:19 -0400

I'm trying to install Netatalk from an RPM on RedHat 5.2. The RPM file I'm 
using is:
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7.i386.rpm. When I try to install it I get a 
message saying it needs the file libc.so.6. I found this file in the /lib 
directory. I tried copying it to the directory where the rpm file is, but 
still got the same message. I have installed Netatalk on RH 5.2 before and 
I know I didn't get this message. I may have been using version 2.1.3-6 
instead of 2.1.3-7, but I'm not sure. Any help will be appreciated.

------------------------------------------
Richard Kieran
[email-masked]

---

From: "Wilson Fletcher" <wilsonf@[203.26.11.154]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:22:19 +1000

I installed this same RPM. I had the same problem so I upgraded to RedHat
6.2. It installed OK (except for having to change /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk
slightly) aand has been running without intervention for about one month
now.

I think this is the best choice becuase Linux changed fron using libc5 to
libc6 and most recently developed software will require libc6 unless
specificially compiled for libc5. So save yourself future headaches and
upgrade to 6.2.

Wilson

---

From: Richard Kieran <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 23:18:43 -0400

I mentioned in my original post that I had installed Netatalk before. The 
reason is that after getting it working nicely in 5.2 I did a clean install 
of 6.1 (wanted to change the partitioning of the HD). It was a mess. 
Nothing worked. I finally gave up and went back to 5.2. I hoped to get 
everything working and then upgrade, in hopes that already installed stuff 
would continue to work. Now I'm having this problem. I don't understand why 
I have to upgrade to fix this problem. The file that is needed is there. It 
was installed with 5.2. Why doesn't it work? In case it doesn't sound like 
it, I _do_ appreciate your response. Thanks. Maybe I'll try upgrading to 
6.2 now, since I do have a lot more things working than I ever did in 6.1.
RK

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 20:50:53 -0700 (PDT)

> 6.2 now, since I do have a lot more things working than I ever did in 6.1.

Are you using the same rpm as the last time you were running redhat 5.2?
For the longest time, it was 2.1.3-6, but I have seen people mention
2.1.3-7 now.  I never had trouble with the -6 rpm, so I wonder if -7 is
specific to redhat 6.x?

	Andy

---

From: Richard Kieran <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 20:06:13 -0400

>2.1.3-7 now.  I never had trouble with the -6 rpm, so I wonder if -7 is

I was thinking the same thing. For some reason, I thought the version might 
be different. Now if only I can find the old one...