Subject: hiding files from Macs

From: Milivoj Ivkovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:48:20 +0200

How can I hide files/folders on the Netatalk server from Mac users? Like 
TheVolumeSettingsFolder, Apple* files etc...

Thanks,

Milivoj

---

From: Milivoj Ivkovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 16:41:07 +0100

Marc,

Thank you for your reply.

>Those were hidden already on my machine.  There are utilities that can set 
>a "hidden" flag in the resource (AppleDouble) data for a file.  ResEdit is 
>one of them.

Is Resedit part of the OS, or do I have to download it from somewhere? 
(Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac at home to try things out before I go to 
the place where this netatalk server is set up).

I wonder why these files are not hidden on those systems. Could it be 
because they use a French version of the Mac OS to talk to the netatalk server?

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:06:41 -0500

download.com would be a good bet to find ResEdit.  Or search 
the apple site.  allmacintosh.com probably has it as well.

	Ryan

At 16:41 +0100 02/11/2000, Milivoj Ivkovic wrote:
>>Those were hidden already on my machine.  There are utilities that 
>>can set a "hidden" flag in the resource (AppleDouble) data for a 
>>file.  ResEdit is one of them.
>
>Is Resedit part of the OS, or do I have to download it from 
>somewhere? (Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac at home to try things 
>out before I go to the place where this netatalk server is set up).
>
>I wonder why these files are not hidden on those systems. Could it 
>be because they use a French version of the Mac OS to talk to the 
>netatalk server?
>
>>>How can I hide files/folders on the Netatalk server from Mac 
>>>users? Like TheVolumeSettingsFolder, Apple* files etc...
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Milivoj

__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
__________________________________
If you want to achieve excellence, you can get there today. As of 
this second, quit doing less-than-excellent work.
-Thomas Watson, founder of IBM

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 16:55:35 -0800 (PST)

I don't have a Mac of my own either and our machines at work have been
stripped down to basics.  So I'm not sure if it's included with MacOS or
not.  I'd say follow Ryan's advice on where to find the utility.

...and as far as it being a French version, with international support
'ya never know...

> >>TheVolumeSettingsFolder, Apple* files etc...

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/

---

From: "Alex Alegado" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 17:49:17 -0500 (EST)

FYI: ResEdit isn't part of the as-shipped OS. It's freely available at the Apple site however. 
You could also get either "FileTyper" or "File Buddy" from download.com -- these are both 
file related utilities as the names imply. Both can be used to set/reset file attributes like 
invisibility.

ResEdit is a must-have utility for any Mac-admin's toolkit so it's worth the download.

> 	//arc ._|. //iller ([email-masked])
> 	Computer Room Consultant

-- 
 Alex Alegado, [email-masked], 626.524.0624 Cel w/VMail  
   Prepress Supervisor, California Plasticard  
     213.742.9852 Voice, 213.742.0086 FAX, http://www.cpicardgroup.com 
----------------------------------------------------------------------- 
 the.ThoughtShop.net -- Low-cost web-hosting and design... 
   Apache-based Miva, CGI, PHP, MySQL support 
     [email-masked], http://the.ThoughtShop.net

---

From: Milivoj Ivkovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 09:11:05 +0100

Thank you all!

Milivoj