Subject: Printer sharing question

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 13:51:50 -0700

Here's an odd one. I have these three components:

1. A Linux box running Netatalk
2. An AppleTalk-only Ethernet Postscript printer (GCC Elite 600)
3. A Windows box

I'd like to share the AppleTalk-only printer via the Linux box to enable 
the Windows box to print to it. Can somebody give me a quick overview of 
what I'd need to do in order to pull this off?

Steve

---

From: SF Karel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 20:05:17 -0400

Since no one seems to be giving you a straight answer... I've done this
in the past (win98 -> samba -> lpd -> pap -> ethertalk Apple Laserwriter
Pro 630), it's functional, but it's basically an elaborate hack (in our
case, we used to get spurious syslog errors and extra pages(

1. configure pap to print to the appletalk-only printer. 
2. configure lpr or LPRng to pass jobs to pap (lots of messages about
that on linux-atalk or netatalk-admins).
3. configure samba to share your printer defined by LPR or LPRng
4. configure Windows to print to samba, making sure you have the right
postscript drivers.

I seem to recall some messages recently that are germane.

	a. pipe the print job to lpr in the /etc/printcap definition
	b. there was a post about how to kill the extra page feed at the end

If you can, use LPR from linux to the printer (never had one of those
GCC printers, so I don't know if it'll work), this works better

If you can, install NT. Printing from NT via Appletalk works fine. Just
be sure not to "capture" the printer (and make it disappear from the Chooser)

If you can, put a parallel cable between the windows box and the
printer. The Windows user will be happier.

steven

---

From: SF Karel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 20:17:55 -0400

>	a. pipe the print job to lpr in the /etc/printcap definition

Of course, what I MEANT to say was "pipe the print job to pap in the
/etc/printcap defintion".

for example see section 11.9 of the LPRng-HOWTO

http://www.astart.com/LPRng/LPRng-HOWTO.html#AEN5037