Subject: Linux server doesn`t appear in the chooser

From: Timo Faber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:35:52 +0200

hi,

I installed a Linux Server using SuSe 6.2 Distribution in the network 
of our institute Digital Printing Systems. Everything works pretty 
good, I still have some problems though:

1.) The Linux Server doesn`t appear in the chooser! When I type in 
the IP adress I can connect to the server and I get shared volumes, 
but even when I connect again and reboot the Macs the Server does 
still not appearŠ( Ethertalk Phase 2 is not installed as system 
extension on the macs?!)

2.) Does anybody know if there is a backup software available for Linux ?

Thanks in advance;-)

-Timo
*****************************
Timo Faber
Friedrich-Wilhelm Strasse 8

42285 Wuppertal
Germany

tel:+49.(0)202.4085715
email:[email-masked]

*****************************

---

From: "thomas.riewe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 23:25:41 +0100 (CET)

(0.) scnr, suse ?!)

1.) mailing archive
2.) i would recommend afbackup which brings client and serversw

hth,
thomas (R)

---

From: admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 22:46:23 -0600 (CST)

tar -czvf /dev/tape /home

(with /dev/tape linking to /dev/st0, the first SCSI tape drive)

  In a cron job running daily at midnight is pretty much all I've ever
needed.  I have a slack7 box serving afpd for our Macs, samba for our
windoze, and NFS for our linux/solaris clients.  If I need to restore
because one of the users deleted a file they shouldn't have (about once a
week) I just untar the tape to the filesystem, retrieve the file, and
throw it in their home directory.  
  I used to have the same prob with my fileserver not showing up in the
chooser - which led to bufuddlement on an alarming scale in the MacIntosh
cubicles.  Had the users make a shortcut to the network share on their
desktop so they login as they boot up; the servers been appearing in the
chooser ever since.  I'm not saying that it is the *correct* fix tho',
just one that I stumbled across in my daily adventures.

Regards,

Rich

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:11:32 +0100

> 2.) Does anybody know if there is a backup software available for Linux ?
We use BRU which can be obtained at "http://www.bru.com/".
We have tried a lot of different products, but only BRU can backup and
restore path names wich are longer than 254 characters. This is the
major problem when backing up files and folders from a Linux server
using netatalk. For example: one of our clients has a very deep folder
structure like, 

"./mac/gast/ 1 Job-Server/ Job-Daten/ Kunden T-Z/TGS Thyssen Gastro
Service/5387-TGS Pr:8asent.f.PPT/5387-TGS Pr:8asent.f.PPT:2fab/5387-TGS
Pr:8as.imPPT:2fab/5387-Tiffs/:d74c Rotweinglas.eps"

And than there are these .AppleDouble-Folder within every folder. This
will create these very deep folder stuctures.

Hope that helps,

Uwe H. Kueke

---

From: "Chad S. Lauritsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:32:22 -0600

Most likely one of the following problems:

1) appletalk is not compiled into the kernel

-or-

2) the appletalk module is not installed  in your running kernel. (say
'modprobe appletalk' to install it)

If you can share via tcp/ip, then your afpd server is running and working.
The linux machine doesn't show up in the chooser because it's not
broadcasting its presence over appletalk; presumably because appletalk DDP
is not running in your kernel.

Timo Faber wrote:

> still not appearS( Ethertalk Phase 2 is not installed as system
> extension on the macs?!)
>

--
* Chad S. Lauritsen, Systems Administrator                       *
* Perfection Learning Corporation                                *
* 1000 North Second Avenue, Logan, IA 51546 712.644.2831 x 223   *
"Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." --Jesus

---

From: Rick Zeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:14:49 -0500

>is not running in your kernel.

As sort of an adjunct to this, is there a way to force a connection only
using AppleTalk and not ASIP?  I don't mean by holding down the option key
in the Chooser, but by default on the server end so when volumes get
automounted they're mounted that way.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:33:41 -0800 (PST)

> automounted they're mounted that way.

You can add the "-notcp" option to afpd command-line.

	Andy

---

From: Rick Zeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:14:49 -0500

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:33:41 -0800 (PST)

Andy

---

From: Rick Zeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 13:14:16 -0500

On 1/27/2000 at 8:33 PM, andrew morgan <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> using AppleTalk and not ASIP?  I don't mean by holding down the option
>> key in the Chooser, but by default on the server end so when volumes get

Yes, that works globally.  I was thinking more of a mix-and-and match
approach (eg, I want the writeable volumes to be IP and the read-only
AppleTalk).  Couldn't find anything relevant in the man pages for afpd.

Found out in my explorations that netatalk wasn't using the
/etc/atalk/afpd.conf by default until I passed that to it on startup.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 10:57:43 -0800 (PST)

> AppleTalk).  Couldn't find anything relevant in the man pages for afpd.

You could also define two separate afpd servers, one with tcp access on
and one with tcp access off.  Have a look at afpd.conf for some examples
of this.

	Andy

---

From: "Clyde Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 12:17:37 -0500

Hi Everybody,
 Is there a way to time out an appletalk connection?  I would like to have
users disconnected after, say 1 hour of inactivity. This is probably simple,
but I need a hand

Thanks
Clyde

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com