Subject: Re: netatalk.com

From: "Tom Watson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 18:24:24 -0800

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 19:11:23 -0400 (EDT), Steve Freitas wrote:
> 
> Off-topic: JeffB, a feature request for 2.0: Make randnum and rand2num 
> optionally read shadow passwords. *sigh*
> 

Unfortunately, the 'randnum' password method REQUIRES that the plain text
of the password exist on the server.  Since only encrypted versions
exist in /etc/passwd, or /etc/shadow (wherever it is stored), making
'randnum' work with the existing password files WILL NOT work.  I don't
know the details of the 'radn2num' method, someone else will have to clue
me in.

This is the reason for the password file in the individual account's home
directory, and the instance on it being readable by only the account
proper, and not any group, or anyone else.

So, don't get your hopes up, sorry.
-- 
Tom Watson         Generic short signature
[email-masked]     (I'm at home now)