Subject: Problems with Netatalk authentication

From: Nick Vlku <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:29:39 -0500 (EST)

Hi everyone.  I just installed Netatalk on a bunch of machines which use
NIS/NFS to get user account information and home directories.  For some
strange reason, on most of my machines, I can not log in and mount my
directory.

Does netatalk have to be installed locally on each machine (i currently
have it stored on an nfs partition)?  I can't see anything else wrong with
this configuration or any differences between one install and the other.

I'm running a Redhat 5.2 Linux configuration, with a 2.0.38 kernel on each
machine.  The macs are System 8.6, and the servers are scattered across
multiple zones.

Thanks in advance,
-Nick Vlku
[email-masked]

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 20:04:34 +0200

>strange reason, on most of my machines, I can not log in and mount my

Which version do you use? What says syslog? What exact error messages do you get?

>this configuration or any differences between one install and the other.

You'll have to configure (at compile-time) ETCPATH to something locally, because the machines would overwrite each others atalkd.conf.

>machine.  The macs are System 8.6, and the servers are scattered across

I had experimented with NFS and netatalk but it's rather slow but it worked in vanilla 1.4b2 (before Adrian started to enhance netatalk in a beautiful way).

:wq! PoC