Subject: Samba -> LPRng -> Netatalk

From: rgp systems <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 00:37:36 -0400

I've gotten Win98 machines to print to Samba print shares which go to
appletalk printers (using LPRng & Netatalk). But, I discovered the windows
driver is putting the following at the end of the file which is causing my
HPLJ4M to choke:

^D^[%-12345X@PJL EOJ
^[%-12345X

The job prints, then prints a blank page, then prints a postscript error
page. I was able to get normal printing by deleting the abvoe lines.

Think I read somewhere that control-D is needed by parallel ports to clear
jobs, but messes up localtalk ports.

There was an option in the Advanced button on the postscript tab of the
HPLJ4M Postscript windows print driver to disable sending ^D after a job. I
disabled it, but it seems to be getting sent anyway.

Different Win98 programs behave differently: PageMaker 6.5 doesn't print at
all (but if I print a file to disk and dump it to the printer with pap it's
fine). Acrobat prints without error. MS Office programs all print with the
error.

Anyone know how to fix this on the Windows side? Or, if not, has anyone
written a script, or filter mod, to remove these gremlins?

Thanks in advance,

-- 
Randy Perry
rgp systems

Mac Consulting/Sales

---

From: "William R. Knox" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 12:25:48 -0400

Randy,
When we run into these problems on our systems (which have an identical
setup with regards to the printing path for many of our printers), we
have the user disable the CTRL-D after jobs as well as the printing of
PostScript errors (also located on the PostScript tab of the Windows
driver config window). That, in combination with making sure that the
printer isn't set to print PostScript errors (which HPs seem generally
not to be by default), has always done it for us.

-- 
			Bill Knox
			Senior Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
			The MITRE Corporation

rgp systems wrote:
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> If you need help, send email to [email-masked] (or lprng-requests
> or lprng-digest-requests) with the word 'help' in the body.  For the impatient,
> to subscribe to a list with name LIST,  send mail to [email-masked]
> with:                           | example:
> subscribe LIST <mailaddr>       |  subscribe lprng-digest [email-masked]
> unsubscribe LIST <mailaddr>     |  unsubscribe lprng [email-masked]
> 
> If you have major problems,  send email to [email-masked] with the word
> LPRNGLIST in the SUBJECT line.
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------