Subject: RedHat Linux 6.2 and netatalk

From: Jonas Nasholm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 02:18:46 +0200

Hi,

I'm currently using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on a server running RedHat
Linux 6.1 on Intel hardware and it works perfectly.

Some sort of problem arose when I upgraded the OS to RedHat Linux 6.2.
It seems like the AppleTalk-services won't work anymore. AppleShareIP
connections can be established by entering the server host name in the
Chooser (Server IP Address).

The following appears in /var/log/messages when starting netatalk:

Mar 30 23:19:30 micro atalkd: socket: Invalid argument
Mar 30 23:19:30 micro atalkd: socket: Invalid argument
Mar 30 23:19:30 micro atalkd: atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.
Mar 30 23:19:30 micro atalk: atalkd startup failed
Mar 30 23:19:30 micro papd[960]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Mar 30 23:19:30 micro atalk: papd startup succeeded
Mar 30 23:19:30 micro afpd[969]: main: atp_open: Invalid argument
Mar 30 23:19:30 micro afpd[969]: ASIP started on 172.16.0.14:548(1)
(1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Mar 30 23:19:30 micro atalk: afpd startup succeeded

Hope you can shed some light on this.

Jonas Nasholm
Sweden

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 08:36:25 +0200

>Mar 30 23:19:30 micro atalkd: socket: Invalid argument

Do you have DDP support in the kernel?
Will a appletalk.o module be loaded automatically? Perhaps you must do that by hand before starting netatalk.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Prentice Bisbal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 08:17:18 -0500

did you check /etc/services? I just installed RH 6.2 and the next day my
network backup system couldn't talk to my linux host. Turns out that RH 6.2
just copies the existing /etc/services to /etc/services.rpmsave and writes a
new one there, with no regard for any modifications that might have been made
to the pre-existing version. It doesn't appear to mess with /etc/inetd.conf,
however.

-- 
Prentice Bisbal
[email-masked]
Princeton Plasma Physics Lab
http://www.pppl.gov

---

From: Steven Karel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 09:24:35 -0500

I had the same problem on upgrading to RH 6.2. The appletalk kernel
module is no longer being loaded at startup. 

insmod appletalk

or

modprobe appletalk

then restart atalkd. For a more permanent solution, add a line for
appletalk in /etc/conf.modules (at least that's how I did it, I'm not an expert)

steven

Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> > Mar 30 23:19:30 micro atalkd: socket: Invalid argumentt

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:16:53 -0600 (CST)

I just completed a new RH 6.2 install which included
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.2.3-7.

I too have the same error messages including the following even after
issuing the insmod command:

Mar 31 11:10:38 refold kernel: NET4: AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0
Mar 31 11:10:49 refold afpd[971]: shutting down on signal 15
Mar 31 11:10:52 refold atalkd: socket: Invalid argument
Mar 31 11:10:52 refold atalkd: socket: Invalid argument
Mar 31 11:10:52 refold atalkd: atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.
Mar 31 11:10:52 refold atalk: atalkd startup failed
Mar 31 11:10:53 refold papd[1012]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Mar 31 11:10:53 refold atalk: papd startup succeeded
Mar 31 11:10:53 refold atalk: afpd startup succeeded
Mar 31 11:10:53 refold afpd[1021]: main: atp_open: Invalid argument

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Daniel E. Lautenschleger
University of Wisconsin
R.M. Bock Laboratories
Network Administrator and Computer Support
[email-masked]
608.262.3403

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 09:48:43 -0800 (PST)

> Anyone else have any suggestions?

What does your atalkd.conf file look like?

	Andy

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:13:38 -0600 (CST)

The file is empty, just like the other 8 Linux/Netatalk boxes I have
running.

-Dan

Daniel E. Lautenschleger
University of Wisconsin
R.M. Bock Laboratories

---

From: Rob Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 14:57:47 -0500 (EST)

> netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.2.3-7.

I've never been able to get that one to work -- have you tried the -6 RPM
from rpmfind.net?  That one has worked on all the boxes I've tried it on.

The conf.modules line you need to add to get this working with 6.2 is:
alias net-pf-5 appletalk

Ciao -

-- 
Rob Russell,                                     [email-masked]
Senior Computer Systems Manager                http://www.cibnetwork.com
Canadian Internet Broadcasting Network, Inc.   office: 613.727.4818 x206
Reseau de Diffusion Internet du Canada, Inc.   cel.282.7885 fax.727.9366

---

From: anthony <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:29:21 -0500

> The conf.modules line you need to add to get this working with 6.2 is:

Yeah I just discovered this too. however, ASIP works without a problem,
thus I will wait until this evening to load the modules

---

From: Moss <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 04:15:30 +0200

Daniel E. Lautenschleger schrieb in "Re: RedHat Linux 6.2 and 
>Mar 31 11:10:52 refold atalk: atalkd startup failed

Are you sure that AppleTalk support (DDP) ist compiled into your 
kernel?

-Moss-

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 11:44:02 -0700

> Are you sure that AppleTalk support (DDP) ist compiled into your

6.2 includes it by default, assuming he's using the default kernel, and
didn't roll his own.

Harry

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 13:48:52 -0500 (CDT)

I used the stock RH 6.2 kernel. No matter how I did the install, I still
have to add the following to /etc/conf.modules:

alias net-pf-5 appletalk

Now it works fine.

Daniel E. Lautenschleger
University of Wisconsin
R.M. Bock Laboratories