Subject: Authentication Issue: Wits end

From: Greg Lincoln <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:32:36 -0700

I feel like a huge idiot for asking an age old question in netatalk, but I
can't win, here.

I have read every archived message, every HOWTO, every doc I could find, and
Anders website from top to bottom.

Every list has a different solution, all of which I have tried. I cannot get
user authentication to function. I am running Redhat Linux 6.2, so it
automatically installs PAM and shadow passwords, all of which I have
accounted for in the Makefiles according to the HOWTO. I have tried all
normal authentication methods one by one, none work. I have the "passwd"
file in the home directory. Please assume I've tried all of the solutions at
least twice, and to no avail.

Nothing works. Perhaps there is a typo or a quick change of which I am not
aware to jump start this process.

Apparently there aren't that many people having these problems, because
there is not recent mention of it. I am brand new to this list, and I
apologize for bringing up this tired subject.

If someone out there can give me a hand I would be forever grateful.
Anything to keep the powers-that-be from making me employ Windows 2000
server!

TYIA.

___________________________________
Greg Lincoln, Creative Director
Southwest Strategies, LLC

[email-masked]
858.597.7555

---

From: "Jonathan Newman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:46:26 -0700

> Anything to keep the powers-that-be from making me employ Windows 2000

Before anyone can help you, some information is needed:

What version of netatalk are you using?
Did you install it from an RPM?
Build it yourself?
Are there any useful messages in the logs?  /var/log/messages is a good
place to start.

Jon Newman
[email-masked]

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:55:04 -0700 (PDT)

> least twice, and to no avail.

Tell us a little more about your netatalk installation.  Are you using an
RPM (which one) or installing from source (what version)?

	Andy

---

From: Greg Lincoln <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:57:13 -0700

> Are there any useful messages in the logs?  /var/log/messages is a good

I'm all scr*wed up! Sorry, Jon, for responding directly.

---

From: Greg Lincoln <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:58:23 -0700

> Are there any useful messages in the logs?  /var/log/messages is a good
I think it's a little odd, but the messages aren't logging for failed
authentication. I can't quite figure that out either.

Sorry about the lack of info. I meant to do it, and I pressed the send
button too quickly.

Netatalk v1.4b2+asun2.1.1
No RPMs it was precompiled, though, I believe. Hmm. Now you got me thinking.

Anyway...

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:15:09 -0700 (PDT)

> No RPMs it was precompiled, though, I believe. Hmm. Now you got me thinking.

That is a pretty old version.  There are RPMs available for
v1.4b2+asun2.1.3.  I don't know where you get those from, but someone else
on this list will probably chime in with a site.

	Andy

---

From: Greg Lincoln <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:23:08 -0700

> on this list will probably chime in with a site.
I got the version asun2.1.3-7 from the RPMs at redhat. I will at least
download them and await anymore insight from this list before I do much more
than that.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:51:31 -0700 (PDT)

> download them and await anymore insight from this list before I do much more

That is probably the version you want to run right now.  The
2.1.4pre-releases are pretty good, but you'd have to compile from source.
The RPM should work right 'out of the box', although you won't get
encrypted password support if I remember right.

	Andy