Subject: netatalk: netgroup support

From: Norman Paterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:38:45 +0100

I get the message:

afpd[1131]: warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line 46: netgroup support is disabled

Can someone explain (1) why afpd is looking into a tcp wrappers
configuration file, and (2) how can I fix it?

While I'm waiting, I'll get the netatalk source from wherever it lives...

--
Norman Paterson, University of St Andrews
http://www.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~norman/

---

From: Rich Lafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 10:26:33 -0400

> configuration file, and (2) how can I fix it?

(1) You built (or someone built, if you installed from a package)
    with libwrap, the tcp_wrappers library.

(2) Look at line 46 of /etc/hosts.allow. (Or share it, if just looking
    at it doesn't tell you anything.)

  -Rich

-- 
------------------------------ Rich Lafferty ---------------------------
 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services
   Concordia University, Montreal, QC                 (514) 848-7625
------------------------- [email-masked] ----------------------

---

From: Norman Paterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:44:44 +0100

>    at it doesn't tell you anything.)

Thanks, Rich.  I had come to the same conclusion.  The message originates
from tcp wrappers because afpd uses the tcp wrappers library.  However,
_my_ copy of libwrap has been compiled with the NETGROUP option.  This is
confirmed by (a) the fact that my tcp wrappers don't produce this error,
and (b) the error message string does not appear in the strings output of
my libwrap.

So I concluded that my netatalk had been compiled on a system which did not
have NETGROUP enabled and since libwrap is static, it doesn't use my
libwrap.

Therefore I should recompile netatalk on my system to pick up my libwrap.
(Sorry if this seems laboured - I'm new to Linux, RPM, and netatalk, so it
took me all day to get this far.)

I got the netatalk src.rpm but I have not been able to get it to recompile.
Neither rpm -ba on the spec file, nor rpm --recompile on the src.rpm file
nor rpm --rebuild install anything.  All produce screeds of output but no
files remain after the end.

Any idea what I am missing?  (Apart from a brain...)

---

From: Rich Lafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:48:49 -0400

> have NETGROUP enabled and since libwrap is static, it doesn't use my

Sounds about right, from the sounds of things.
 
> I got the netatalk src.rpm but I have not been able to get it to

First thing I'd do right here is to try to build from the pristine
sources instead of from the RPM. While you don't have an entry in your
RPM database when it's all done, you know that everything happens as
expected by the author, rather than by the rpm-repackager.

(We build all critical tools from source by policy, so I couldn't help
you with the rpm bit anyhow.)

  -Rich

-- 
------------------------- [email-masked] ----------------------

---

From: Norman Paterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:42:44 +0100

>you with the rpm bit anyhow.)

I'm going to persevere with RPM for a bit.  Partly to learn more about it,
but also, if it works, it's quite a neat solution.  But I take your point
about the rpm-repackager being a source of uncertainty.