Subject: Encrypted passwords

From: Christian Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:57:10 +0200

Hello out there,
I am running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6 on a Suse Linux 6.2 system 
and have tried several ways to be able to use two-way-scrambled 
password at login.
I installed netatalk via rpm using Suse's yast.
I followed Adrian Sun's instructions (as documented in the 
netatalk-README in/usr/doc/packages/netatalk) and created a ~/.passwd 
with chmod 600.
(In the same documentation, Adrian writes, that 
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6 supports shadowed passwords.)
afpd is started with the options -randnum -rand2num.
A DES library has been installed as mentioned on 
http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk.

Nevertheless, I can't transfer encrypted passwords at login time.

Strange, but true: After having installed netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.1 
from a precompiled tarball, everything works fine...

Can someone please give me a hint how to succeed in enabling 
encrypted passwords with Suse's netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6?

Thanks,
Christian
-- 
Made with a Macintosh...
[email-masked]
http://home.t-online.de/home/chrischmi/