Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk, Quark and new ethernet software from Apple

From: Gustav Kristoffer Ek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:29:28 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Dave Ritter wrote:

> Apple's new G4's and iMacs come with newer ethernet software than the
> network sw on the 8.6 CDs. This ethernet software seems to only affect Quark
> XPress in our networks. The problem go like this; a mac user with a new G4
> opens a quark doc, when saving the doc directly to the netatalk server the
> G4 appears to be doing nothing while saving, meaning the watch spins but
> there are no "network activity arrows" in the upper left corner of the menu
> bar. after 30 seconds or so the server disconnects from the mac, all volumes
> that are related to this server go too, other volumes from other servers
> stay. After reconnecting, the document that was being saved to the server is
> where you saved it but, sometimes it is corrupted and is not able to be
> opened any more. I have ruled out my network, switches, hubs, patch cables
> and network cards. I even tested this with a crossover cable to the server
> directly from the G4, same problem.

Did you find out any solution? We have experienced the exactly same
problem. Which versions of Ethernet driver are you using?

- gustav

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Gustav Kristoffer Ek, Netcetera, Brolæggerstræde 4, 1211 København K
Telefon +45 33 14 70 00 / +45 20 40 00 05 - Faximile +45 33 14 62 00
Webdesign, Webhotel, Mailhotel, UUCP & mere http://www.netcetera.dk/

---

From: Michal Bukovjan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 14:03:57 +0100

We are experiencing EXACTLY the same problem, MacOS9, G4, QuarkExpress. The
stupid thing is, the other AppleShare server based on Windows NT works. Damn!

Michal Bukovjan

Gustav Kristoffer Ek wrote:

> Gustav Kristoffer Ek, Netcetera, Brolćggerstrćde 4, 1211 Křbenhavn K

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 10:53:44 +1300

Same problem here, except only on G4s running OS9. I don't think it 
is the Ethernet driver because you can  force the Macs to connect to 
the netatalk server via Appletalk (not IP), and it works fine. This 
is why it works fine to WinNT - since it is Appletalk only.

Anyone have any ideas? Help!

>problem. Which versions of Ethernet driver are you using?

========================================================

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer."
		Marcus Radich 1999

This message has been checked with GRIMEsweeper which has detected a virus
embedded in this plain text message. You should now delete your entire hard
drive and rinse your eyes with soapy water to ensure it doesn't spread.

========================================================