Subject: Appletalk 'ghosts'

From: "Brian Ackermann" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 11:05:37 -0600

Hi all.

I've got netatalk up and running on my linux box, which is a three way
router between the internet, and two internal subnets.  Appletalk is
successfully being routed between the two internal networks.

However, on rare occasion, seemingly unassociated with any other issue,
appletalk services vanish.  A file transfer across networks suddenly
aborts...Printing fails...connection to database dies...

All of this lasts only for a moment, and then works again.  It's merely a
nuisance, since all service 'sort-of' works, but its the last real issue to
resolve on our internal network.

For example, when printing, a message will appear stating that the printer
is offline.  A moment later, an attempt to print to the printer works just
fine.  The printer itself is spooled, and we know that these issues are
directly related to the firewall/router which is routing appletalk between
the two networks.

There are no appletalk issues on the 'printer' side of the network,
everything works fine, but on the other side, crossing the router, just
these occasional fluky issues.

Can someone direct me to a solution to this problem?

Thanks so much.

Brian J. Ackermann