Subject: Darwin

From: Dale Ang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 22:50:36 -0700 (PDT)

Apple's open source project Darwin supposedly contains
real Appletalk code.  I don't know exactly how the
netatalk implementations were designed but Darwin must
be able to assist with development.  After all, Apple
should know what they are doing.

If I'm wrong, please let me know, as I've only been
acquainted with netatalk for about 6months.

=====
Dale Ang
IM/IT Technical Support Officer
Nepean Division of General Practice
[email-masked]
Phone: 02 4721 1150
Fax:   02 4721 1176

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

---

From: Jonathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:05:51 +1000

>should know what they are doing.

Adrian Sun is apparently looking at porting to OS X Server (and, 
therefore, Darwin).  Apple's AppleTalk stack seems pretty good, 
although it is unclear to me whether it is a part of the kernel. 
After all, it is invoked from the command line (/usr/sbin/appletalk). 
I may be wrong, though.

>acquainted with netatalk for about 6months.

If Darwin's AFP server is the same one that OS X uses then it, to put 
not too fine a point on it, sucks.  Hard.  Netatalk is far more 
elegant and easily configured.  I wish I'd just bought an extra 
FreeBSD box these days.  Sigh.

`Jonathan.
---
Jonathan Elliott
Technical Officer
Faculty of Arts, University of Tasmania
Ph. +61 3 6226 2060 Fax c/- +61 3 6226 7842

The G4 is an example of a tool that works and exhibits strong design 
qualities. The Pentium is, sadly, just another computer.

---

From: John Hulley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 11:35:09 +0100

> FreeBSD box these days.  Sigh.

Indeed, last summer I looked long and hard at various AFP servers,
including OS X Server.  Unfortunately it looks like someone took 
MacOS Appleshare/IP and did a bad port.  The intergration with 
netinfo/lookupd is lacking and renders the server useless when
wanting to provide services to thousands of users.

Anyway, the thing that I did notice while looking over the Darwin
source code is that the AppleTalk protocol stack looks like it has
been written to conform to the standard BSD modular way of implementing
protocols.  As such it would seem a trivial port to FreeBSD (and the
other BSDs).  The only thing I can see standing in the way is the
licensing issues.

  -- john.

-- 
John Hulley, Network Admin, Royal College of Art, Kensington Gore, London
 mailto:[email-masked]  | mailto:[email-masked]   | mailto:[email-masked] 
 http://www.rca.ac.uk/ | http://world.std.com/~wjh/ | http://www.acm.org/