Subject: volume administrator

From: "Temple, Matthew H." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:12:30 -0400

All,

	We have two issues that we constantly bump into with
Netatalk, largely around backup.   Although we can backup
and restore our Netatalk volumes with Legato Networker or
dump, we'd like to be able to use Retrospect.   But since
Netatalk, unlike Cap, doesn't have the notion of an 
"afp adminstrator" there's no way to mount several volumes owned 
by different labs (we're a research organization).   I've figured
out how to use the "Redhat private group" scheme to create a 
volume administrator, but this scheme won't work if there are
different administrators across the machine.   And, of course,
this won't help to back up individual users who aren't part of a
volume.  

I do see how root can log in via a simple hack to afpd, but it
doesn't appear to have rootly privileges.

What do people do for backing up their shared netatalk volumes?

				Matthew Temple

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 08:59:03 -0400

Here's what I've done.  It uses up some extra space, but works.

	Write a script cron job that tars up selected areas.  Run the 
cron job as root.  Dump the resulting tar file in a directory that 
has your backup user's specific permissions.  Then, backup 
periodically.  I wrote a shell script that does just that.  This 
script backups up home, etc, /usr/local and /opt/shared on one 
machine, and goes and gets another tar file that sits on a machine 
mounted through NFS.

#!/bin/sh
tar cf /opt/accounts/tmp/weekly.backup.home.tar /home
tar cf /opt/accounts/tmp/weekly.backup.etc.tar /etc
tar cf /opt/accounts/tmp/weekly.backup.usr.tar /usr/local
tar cf /opt/accounts/tmp/weekly.backup.shared.tar /opt/shared
#copy the tarred file from my:/etc.tar to here
cp /opt/my/tmp/my.weekly.backup.etc.tar /opt/accounts/tmp

chmod 755 /opt/accounts/tmp/*
chown ryan /opt/accounts/tmp/*
chgrp devel /opt/accounts/tmp/*

Ryan

>What do people do for backing up their shared netatalk volumes?

__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
__________________________________
If you want to achieve excellence, you can get there today. As of 
this second, quit doing less-than-excellent work.
-Thomas Watson, founder of IBM

---

From: Matthew Temple <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 10:53:35 -0400

The MAN!

	That's an excellent fix.  After making trivial hacks in netatalk
and cap over the last decade, I freel quite relieved.   So as you can
see,
an extra week doesn't seem like very long to me.   Will you post to this
group?    Also, how do these fixes get incorporated into the two
netatalk streams:  umich/asun?   (Or is there really only a single
stream?)

	At any rate, thank you very much.   For those of us with large
installations, where you'd need to put the administrator into hundreds
of
groups (the limit is 32 or some binary number?) this represents an
important
realization that there are some VERY large netatalk installations out
there.
I'm going to be implementing this on several 800 gb servers from
Raidzone.

	If anyone is interested in the way we implement a single volume
administrator using the RedHat private group scheme, please write back
to the
list and I'll repost.    This is a few years old.

				Matthew Temple

"Marc J. Miller" wrote:
> 
> FYI, I'm putting the finishing touches on administrator group access in
> netatalk 1.5 right now.  It will allow someone in a particular group (which
> you specify in afpd.conf) to have root priviledges.  But I'd say we're still
> at least a week away from having a release candidate that includes a fully
> functional version of it.
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Temple, Matthew H." <[email-masked]>
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2000 7:12 PM
> Subject: volume administrator
> 
> > All,
> >

-- 
=============================================================
Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/632-4012
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute     
44 Binney Street, Smith 345   [email-masked]
Boston, MA 02115              IMAP LIVES!
=============================================================

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 10:09:48 -0700

Well, most of the credit should go to Sam Noble who wrote the patch for an
earlier asun 2.1.4 release.  :)  Netatalk 1.5 is being built at Sourceforge
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/netatalk).  There's really a single
development stream.  It started with umich, then asun worked on it, and now
it's a Sourceforge project.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matthew Temple" <[email-masked]>
To: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 7:53 AM
Subject: Re: volume administrator