Subject: Authentication: recap and current issue

From: Greg Lincoln <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:23:36 -0700

Thanks for all of your input on my netatalk authentication issue from a few
days ago.

I took the advice of many and installed the newer rpm. I'm now running
1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7 fairly successfully. However, I still cannot get anything
but cleartext to work. But I'm having some new interesting issues.

Contrary to what I have read, I was able to authenticate with 8 characters
of a longer password, e.g. 12345678 authenticates for the password that is
actually 1234567890, say. That's not a big deal, it's kinda nice, but
everywhere I have read it says it cannot be done.

I ran the rpm from the source clean, with patches, and I had cleartext
access but nothing else. As I am running PAM and Shadow passwords, I went
back and used my notes from a previous install to add -DSHADOWPW to the
etc/afpd/Makefile--CFLAGS and -DUSE_PAM to the sys/linux--DEFS. Pretty much
followed Anders HOWTO closely, including wrappers and DES support. After I
did this, even cleartext doesn't work, whether or not the password is 8
characters or less. I have .passwd in the user folders like it is supposed
to be, no carriage return after the pass, but no avail. That pass is
different than the system so I could troubleshoot.

Now I'm left with a lame duck again. I could put it back the way I found it
with cleartext, but I hate losing a battle. Anyone have some ideas now that
I'm this far?

Again, I'm running Redhat 6.2 on an i586, and netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7. I
would certainly prefer not installing yet another version, as from what I
understand the newers are only trial builds.

TYIA.

___________________________________
Greg Lincoln, Creative Director
Southwest Strategies, LLC

[email-masked]
858.597.7555

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:37:56 -0700

on 7/27/00 9:23 AM, Greg Lincoln at [email-masked] wrote:

> I have .passwd in the user folders like it is supposed

Do you have permission and ownership set appropriately as well?

Harry
-- 
CAN'T SEE MAC IN CHOOSER UNDER RedHat 6.2: If you get errors starting
AppleTalk under RedHat 6.2 and Mandrake 7.1, you need to manually add "alias
net-pf-5 appletalk" to your /etc/conf.modules file.