Subject: RE: A "DHX: it doesn't work!" checklist

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 18:32:39 -0700

>Sorry, but can someone give me an idea with DHX?  What is it?  What's big
>difference between 1.5 (when it releases) and 1.4?

DHX is a password exchange method which permits encryption of the 
password as it's transmitted from the client to the server, and which 
permits the password to be authenticated on the server against the user's 
unix password. That means no setting up .passwd files, no storing the 
user's password in plaintext on the server, which permits higher security 
and lower maintenance.

1.5 wraps up a whole bunch of bugfixes, integrates some stuff, makes some 
other stuff more flexible, etc. I'll leave it to someone else to give you 
a comprehensive list. :-)

Steve

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 18:54:01 -0700 (PDT)

I can only speak about the modifications I made.  1.5 introduces a new
option in afpd.conf (admingrp) which allows a group of users to have
superuser access to the AppleShare volume.  It is highly recommended that
admingrp users be using DHX or some other encryption method to protect the
authentication of admingrp accounts.  

In short:

DHX is much more important than it used to be.

> a comprehensive list. :-)

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 22:31:24 -0700 (PDT)

Oh, wait... haha; I thought you were asking about how DHX changed in 1.5.

Alrighty, then.  Other changes in 1.5 (not necessarily DHX-related):

* Permission translation between Unix and MacOS has been changed so that
the execute permission bit is enabled when either read or write
permission on the folder has been set, and the MacOS Search permission is
pretty much ignored.
* Files written into a folder have the same owner as the folder.
* Dropbox permissions were fixed with a kludge.  Read the documentation
about how to enable dropbox support and why you might want to leave it
off. 
* Documentation was updated to provide more precise and user-friendly
instructions.  That includes comments in a lot of the config files.
* (not mine) CAP (Columbia Appletalk Protocol)-style support for printing
was added
* Minor adjustments were made to some of the procedures for support of the
PPR print queue and the NATALI libraries (for PPR).  

Hmmmm... that's all I can think of at the moment.  Y'know, we should
update the release notes with a list of the changes.

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 01:45:26 -0400

> * Files written into a folder have the same owner as the folder.

Hmm, if folder ABC has chmod 755 and it has been moved to folder DEF.  Let's
say DEF has chmod 775.  DEF is a group folder where a group of people are
sharing files.  Everyone in its group has read/write access.  You finally
decide to make ABC public to your group, so you drag and drop to DEF folder.
Here comes the problem.  ABC remains 755, and no one can write files to it
except yourself!  Can this be fixed?

Alex

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 21:19:23 +1300

>update the release notes with a list of the changes.

I was wondering if 1.5 resolves the alias issue cause by non-persistent DIDs?
Can someone confirm?

mrad01
-- 
========================================================

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer."
		Marcus Radich 1999

========================================================

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:21:42 -0700

Sure.  Just "Get Info" and edit the permissions on the folder to include
group write access.  Right?  Or am I misunderstanding the question?