Subject: Chooser is Strange!

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:24:27 -0600

I am running pre-asun2.1.4-38a_test on a Red Hat 6.1 box with kernel 2.2.14 
on a 100 Base-T network. I have several boxes running this configuration 
and up until now have not had any problems. Let's call my machine LINUXBOX.

Here's what's happening:

I have one SGI box running IRIX and an Apple protocol service called 
"Xinet". Let's call the machine BIOINFORMATICS. When my linux box shows up 
in a Mac chooser and I click on it to log on, and the applet displays 
"Connect to the file server 'BIOINFORMATICS' as:"

Now, I should see LINUXBOX instead of BIOINFORMATICS. If I choose to log in 
via TCP/IP then I get the correct logon information showing up in the applet.

If I shut off the Xinet program on the BIOINFORMATICS machine and attempt 
to log into LINUXBOX, then all is fine and dandy. Weird, huh?

What I don't understand is what a Mac looks at when the user decides to log 
onto a server via the chooser. How is it thinking that BIOINFORMATICS is my 
machine!?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

-Dan

Daniel E. Lautenschleger
Network Administrator and Computer Support
R. M. Bock Laboratories
[email-masked]

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:49:16 -0600

Yes, atalkd.conf file is configured for an appropriate address (like you've 
listed below) and does not share the node with any other machine.

-Dan

At 04:27 PM 2/16/00 -0500, you wrote:

>Did you configure an atalkd.conf file with a different address and
>set it to the correct zone, here's an example:
>hme0 -phase 2 -net 40385 -addr 40385.217 -zone "brn_CIS_Services"
>You need to set this up for proper chooser action.
>the TCP/IP conection will still work regardless if the atalkd.con file
>is set right since the atalkd.conf file is for the Appletalk protocol, this
>will effect the chooser big time.
>
>I've seen the chooser get confused big time when there is a conflict.
>
>
>We use netatalk here as a Appletalk/DFS gateway.
>
>
>
>
>On 16-Feb-00 Daniel E. Lautenschleger wrote:
>----------------------------------
>E-Mail: Jerry Normandin <Jerry_Normandin@.brown.edu>
>Date: 16-Feb-00
>Time: 16:22:08
>Sr. Unix Administrator, Brown University CIS Department
>----------------------------------

Daniel E. Lautenschleger

---

From: Ron Chmara <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:50:29 -0700

"Daniel E. Lautenschleger" wrote:
> "Xinet".

K-talk, K-Ashare, yup. Good stuff... strange routing setups, though.

> Let's call the machine BIOINFORMATICS. When my linux box shows up

Okay... so you are showing both in the chooser, so the broadcast/connection
info for the particular servers show up properly. However, when you
invoke the client, it starts going to the wrong server....

> via TCP/IP then I get the correct logon information showing up in the applet.

So it's not a LAN hardware, or TCP/IP issue.....

> to log into LINUXBOX, then all is fine and dandy. Weird, huh?

Depends on how long you've used Xinet. :-)

> onto a server via the chooser. How is it thinking that BIOINFORMATICS is my

The actual data exchange is long and boring, so to keep it short, and simple:
1. Try setting K-talk to *not* seed the zone (only when no other router is available).
*or*
2. Make sure the zone/numbering settings on K-talk are identical, logically, to netatalk.
*or*
3. Make a separate zone for each sever in your master atalk router, so they
don't argue about zone control.

I've seen K-talk duke it out with a cobalt qube, resetting the appletalk every
few minutes. All sorts of fun. Either force them to play nice (and one gets
numbers from the other), or force them to be identically set, and let 'em
duke it out, or stick them in their own sandboxes (zones).

HTH,
-Ronabop

--
Brought to you from iBop the iMac, a MacOS, Win95, LinuxPPC machine,
which is currently in MacOS land.  Your bopping may vary.