Subject: Creating Appletalk zone?

From: James Greenhalgh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 09:02:33 -0000 (GMT)

Hi, does anyone happen to know how to create an Appletalk zone using
netatalk?
 
thanks,
james

-- 
| James Greenhalgh, Systems Administrator - anti-BOFH.               |
| [email-masked]                                                   |
|             .. problems do have solutions you know ..              |
                                                                    --

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 11:18:11 +0100

> Hi, does anyone happen to know how to create an Appletalk zone using

At least you need two EtherNet cards. Then place lines like these into
you "atald.conf"

eth1 -router -phase 2 -net 2000 -addr 2000.1 -zone "Intranet"
eth0 -router -phase 2 -net 1000 -addr 1000.1 -zone "Internet"

Thats it.

Uwe

---

From: Markus Boie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:33:03 +0100

Hello,

>eth0 -router -phase 2 -net 1000 -addr 1000.1 -zone "Internet"

Well, I have two network cards in my server, connecting to the same network. I want to use only one of the NICs for AppleTalk, though. We currently have three zones on the same network. Can netatalk create those zones for us, on *one* interface?

Thanks
Markus

---

From: James Greenhalgh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 10:32:09 -0000 (GMT)

I presume one of these can also be the card dealing with the normal tcp/ip
services?  Just out of interest - why two, and is it possible to prevent
machines from other zones being able to talk to the new one?  We're trying to
take access to the apple printers away from the macs, so that they have to go
through the print server.

thanks,
james

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:11:55 +0100

> services?  
Yes, no problem. We use our NIC's for Samba and netatalk. It's just a
protocol bind to a NIC and you can bind as lot of protocols as you like,
Novell for example also.

> Just out of interest - why two, and is it possible to prevent
> machines from other zones being able to talk to the new one?  
Sorry, don't know. But I think that the EtherTalk protocol try to manage
as much as possible on it's own.

Maybe if you just define the NIC's in the "atalkd.conf" in the way to
declare only one card with zone informations like:

eth0 -phase 2

- or just leave the eth0 -

I have *not* tried it yet.

Uwe

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:25:03 +0100

Uhps,

sorry but if you define only one NIC there should be no routing

* Wrong *
-------^

* Right *
eth1 -phase 2 -net 2000 -addr 2000.1 -zone "Intranet"

Uwe

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:35:31 -0800 (PST)

> eth1 -phase 2 -net 2000 -addr 2000.1 -zone "Intranet"

Actually, he is right to add -router.  The atalkd.conf file lists this as
single-interface routing.  You have to use -seed (more than one nic) or
-router (one nic) for atalkd to create the zones.

	Andy