Subject: FreeBSD go crash

From: Mike Knell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 16:51:30 +0000

Folks,

Sorry for the bother. I'm installing netatalk on a FreeBSD box
(currently, er, the ports version of 1.4b2, although I've also tried
the vanilla version without the FreeBSD patches and the 9901 version)
just to get it to handle routing - the machine's going to be a router,
and I believe atalkd's necessary to make a machine route Appletalk. 

It works fine for a while, but then the machine hangs. Hangs solid, no
response, no panics, no synced discs. Refreshments most definitely not
served. 

It's driving me nuts - has anyone seen this before? The only point of
interest is that the network is big - the whole of college is one
big switched segment with a couple of thousand hosts on it, so you
can imagine what the underlying noise is like. This router is an 
attempt to alleviate the noise.. and until I get this sorted, it
can't go into service..

Useful details - Pentium running FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE, with two 3c905s.
Not running the file or print sharing stuff, just atalkd to do the
route management.

TIA
Mike

-- 
Computer Science System Administrator, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
       [email-masked] -=- http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Mike.Knell/