Subject: Solaris 7 + netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4:Chooser/Broadcast Problems .

From: Mark Hutchinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:47:01 +0100

I have the above netatalk version installed and running without error,
unfortunately my new server is not appearing in the Mac Chooser. Although I
can connect to my server by specifing it's IP address.

It appears that my server is not broadcasting it's availabilty over the
network. 

Do I need to reconfigure my interface to do this, or is this likely to be a
routing issue? ( My Mac is on a differenent subnet ).

Is it likely that I will need something like a fastpath for things to run
correctly?

Any help much appreciated? 

Mark Hutchison
"PA" NewsCentre
IT Support
Ddi:   0113 220 4997	
Mobile: 07977 268506
[email-masked]

Registered in England No. 3891053 

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which
it is addressed and may contain confidential and or privileged
material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you receive this in error, please contact the sender
and delete the material from any computer.

---

From: Crystal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:49:38 -0500

> Any help much appreciated?

Hi Mark, 

You don't mention any errors when starting or running atalkd. If you put a
Mac on the same ethernet segment as your server, does the server show up
then? If so, that might be a routing issue.

If not, have you tried using nbplkup to make sure your server shows up to
itself?  Do any other Mac devices show up?

The IP subnet of your machines is irrelevant to AppleTalk protocols. But
they do co-exist just fine.

-- 
Crystal Morillo
[email-masked]

The Kinkaid School - www.kinkaid.org