Subject: The State of Mac OS X Server and Netatalk

From: Maurice Volaski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:34:36 -0400

Detailed instructions on installing netatalk have been posted at 
http://irving.ed.uiuc.edu/~rthomas/netatalk-install.html

I have recently did this installation and would like to point out a 
number of changes.

First, files in the Darwin kernel (the tarball 
http://www.publicsource.apple.com/projects/darwin/source/apsl/xnu-68.4-1.1.tar.gz) 
are not where they used to be. They are in bsd/netat. Only two files 
are needed: appletalk.h and ddp.h.

Some declarations in netatalk's include/netatalk/at.h are already 
declared in appletalk.h. I did not check whether there were any 
differences and I just arbitrarily chose to comment out the duplicate 
declarations from at.h. These were

/*
  * AppleTalk address.
  */
//struct at_addr {

and

/*
  * Socket address, AppleTalk style.  We keep magic information in the
  * zero bytes.  There are three types, NONE, CONFIG which has the phase
  * and a net range, and IFACE which has the network address of an
  * interface.  IFACE may be filled in by the client, and is filled in
  * by the kernel.
  */
//struct sockaddr_at {

Appletalk.h should be included in this file because the source files 
are expecting those definitions here.

Second, the at_proto.h file is in the tarball 
http://www.publicsource.apple.com/projects/darwin/source/apsl/AppleTalk-52.1.tar.gz.

Tcpwrappers seems to work. However, I was unable to get the DHX 
working with OpenSSL (the web page describing this is not at that 
site), and had to revert to using DES and the 2-way random number 
exchange.

As mentioned on the web page, the server does not show up in the 
Chooser. This seems to be most significant bug with regard to running 
netatalk under Mac OS X Server that I have seen so far.
-- 
--
Maurice Volaski, [email-masked]
Computing Support, Rose F. Kennedy Center
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University