Subject: RE: Setting up Linux as a print server

From: "Morgan Reed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:03:20 -0400

Lorenzo,

	This sounds disturbingly similar to my situation, if you look back over the
archives you can follow along with my trials and tribulations.

One of the things Andrew Morgan was able to point out to me was that I was
using LPRng  which seems to be ever so slightly different than regular LPR.
Also, Lorenzo, run checkpc -f and see if you have permissions errors.

	I have still not solved my problem, but I am getting closer.

Note to Andrew,

	Last night, after taking " out of my .paprc (I have a space in my
printername that I cannot get rid of, I am macless at this time)  I now get
a page announcing the job before lpr dies.  Still not sure what happens, but
at least I now know that lpr is getting the job nad I think it must be
dieing in the printcap somewhere.  I will re- publish my printcap again to
see of we can ferrit out any problems.
 -----Original Message-----
From: 	andrew morgan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Wednesday, June 21, 2000 2:06 AM
To:	Lorenzo Thurman
Cc:	Netatalk
Subject:	Re: Setting up Linux as a print server

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Lorenzo Thurman wrote:

> I have been trying to setup my Linux box (2.2.16) as a print server. I
have
> gotten to the point where  I can print using, pap -P filename.eps, but it
> fails when using lpr -P. There are no errors in my log file and no spool
> documents are created in the spool folder, and I get an error message on
the
> console:"Cannot access LW 630". I have gone through the How-To, found a
> couple of archived messages at linuxppc and netatalk but nothing has
helped,
> so I'm turning to the list. My printcap file is:
> lp|venerable LaserWriter|"LW 630":\
>        :sd=/usr/spool/LW 630:\
>        :lp=/dev/null:\
>        :pl#63:pw#85:\
>        :mx#0:\
>        :sh:sf:\
>        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
>        :pd=/usr/spool/LW630.ppd:   #Unix file format
>        :if=/usr/spool/LW 630/ifpap:
>
> My papd.conf, looks like this:
> LW 630:\
>        :pr=lp:op=lorenzo:\
>        :pd=/var/spool/LW630.ppd:
> I have created a .paprc file and placed it in the LW 630 spool directory
> with the contents:
> LW 630:LaserWriter@*
>
> Note: I do not need to print from linux, only Mac and Windows clients. If
> anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Anything in /var/log/messages (syslog stuff)?  Does the print job
disappear, or is it stuck in the queue?

	Andy