Subject: Appletalk + via-rhine NIC

From: "Ivan S. Averintsev" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:13:21 +0100

Hi there,

it looks like there're some problems with kernel-level appletalk driver
over via-rhine based NICs. Tried it on 2.2.13 and 2.2.14, both with
applied raid0145-19990824 patch (sorry, didn't have any possibility to
test it on a vanilla kernel) and netatalk 1.4b2 with asun2.1.3 patch
applied. Afpd worked great over IP, but appletalk just seemed not to
work -- none of the shares were visible on the Mac's choosers, papd
services were unusable, too -- with the exception to the localhost.
nbplkup output showed only the services running on the localhost itself,
and a appletalk- and ip-capable network printer. None of the macs were
visible, aecho brought 100% packet loss. The problem was solved by using
a eepro100-based NIC. Is somebody able to reproduce it with a via-rhine
based NIC? Is it raid-patch specific or does the same thing happen with
a vanilla 2.2.14/2.2.13?

thanks

----------------------------------
Ivan Averintsev
System Analysis
----------------------------------
Init.at
Mariahilferstrasse 74b
A-1070 Wien
Tel (+431)5227251 83
----------------------------------
[email-masked]    http://www.init.at
----------------------------------