Subject: default authentication method

From: Cliff Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:22:02 -0400

Hello,
We're running the asun 2.1.4 version, using both cleartext and DHX
uams.  So, when a user logs in from a mac with the most recent version
of the Chooser, they get asked if they want to use cleartext or dhx; and
no matter how much I tell them to use dhx, they keep choosing cleartext
instead.  Barring Forcible User Re-education :), is there some way to
get the Chooser on the client machines to automatically select the most
secure uam available?  
Turning off cleartext is not an option, because we need to support
machines which can't upgrade to the latest chooser version.
Thanks..

-- 
cliff crawford    -><-    http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/cjc26/
"One man's nirvana is another man's map."              icq 68165166

---

From: Steven Karel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:42:55 -0400 (EDT)

Cliff,

I find this odd. On our network, using Appleshare Client 3.8.6 on recent
Macs together with pre-asun37b on the linux box, it always defaults to DHX
and doesn't give users a choice, but falls back to cleartext if DHX is not
available.

Can you send us your afpd.conf and also tell us exactly what versions of 

	-appleshare client
	-open transport

this occurs with?
 
Here's the relevant line from my afpd.conf

"Squirrel Users" -port 548 -uservol -uamlist uams_clrtxt.so,uams_dhx.so

steven

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Cliff

---

From: Cliff Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 20:28:02 -0400

We're using client 3.8.3, OT 1.1.2 (I think..I can't check right now)
The relevant lines from netatalk.conf* are:

AFPD_MAX_CLIENTS=30
ATALK_ZONE=@CLAL
AFPD_UAMLIST="-U uams_dhx.so,uams_clrtxt.so"

I'm guessing the problem is we're not using the latest version of the
appleshare client, but..we do need to support some machines running
7.6.1, which can't run 3.8.6. :\  Anyway, I'll try installing 3.8.6 on
the newer machines and see how it goes..

* We're using LinuxPPC, and their atalk script in /etc/rc.d/init.d seems
to use this file instead of afpd.conf.