Subject: netatalk-1.5 on Suse Linux 6.2

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 02:17:13 +0200

Hello all,

the Quark-from-hell problems does enforce me to update my netatalk server --
current installation is:

- Suse Linux 6.2, Kernel 2.2.10
- YaST 1.01
- shadow passwords
- netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3
- Xpress 4.10

The most recent netatalk package I could find was netatalk-1.5-0.
20000918mdk.i586.rpm in conjunction with netatalk-devel-1.5-0.20000918mdk.
i586.rpm from <http://test.pr.uconn.edu/i586RPMS/> -- great thanks to
jeff b for providing these --

naturally netatalk refused to start up after the upgrade :-(
for this moment I had to revert back to regain access to my files at all.

The problems are, I believe the main problem is the startup script
/sbin/init.d/atalk. (Don't trust me blind, though I have spent a fair amount
of my spare time in front of my Linux box for the last two years, I'm still
rather unfamiliar with the *nix concept at all)

For example,
> # Source function library.
> . /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
> 
> # Source networking configuration.
> . /etc/sysconfig/network

there is no "functions" file at Suse Linux, and also no sysconfig folder,
I don't have any idea what the script might be looking for.

Does anybody have a devel source RPM available? Or even better, a Suse
compliant startup script or binary RPM? I believe CVS isn't an option for me
because my single Linux Box isn't connected to the internet at all, nor I'm
familiar with CVS.

Thanks for any help, -Thomas

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public servers

---

From: "Basil Hussain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:24:53 +0100

Hi,

> jeff b for providing these --

Y'know, I've been looking for that 1.5 RPM for ages...

> I don't have any idea what the script might be looking for.

I think your problems with this stem from the fact that RPM is designed for
Mandrake Linux (hence the 'mdk' suffix). I'm surprised you didn't get any
problems with dependecies when trying to install it on SuSe.

Anyway, speaking of installing, would it be wise to chuck this RPM onto
RedHat Linux (seeing as that's what Mandrake is based upon), anyone?

Regards,

------------------------------------------------
Basil Hussain ([email-masked])

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:53:47 -0700

>> jeff b for providing these --

Big question: didn't we discuss keeping those files (or any files, for that
matter) on SourceForge? As of right now, it still says:

"This Project Has Not Released Any Files"

Could we at least place some of the RPMs on there, or at least clearly
visible links to those RPMs?

> I'm surprised you didn't get any

Just depends on how smart the person doing the RPM is - obviously Jeff knows
what he's doing...

> RedHat Linux (seeing as that's what Mandrake is based upon), anyone?

Might be good to do an i386 version of it, and then send it up to RedHat.

Harry

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:25:24 -0700

I am assuming that SourceForge is going to be used once we have an official
1.5 release.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry Zink/Netatalk List" <[email-masked]>
To: "Basil Hussain" <[email-masked]>; "Netatalk-Admins"
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2000 10:53 AM
Subject: Files on Sourceforge.... (jeffb)

---

From: jeff b <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:23:59 -0400

"Marc J. Miller" wrote:
> 
> I am assuming that SourceForge is going to be used once we have an 
> official 1.5 release.

I wanted to release the preliminary tarballs there as well (1.4.99,
anybody?) as the RPMs -- I just hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Have we come to a consensus on the new homepage? I'd like to get it up
and operational, so we at least have a URL to post for the project.

jeff

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:45:42 +0200

> visible links to those RPMs?

Harry, I have noticed the netatalk developers group at
Sourcefourge released a couple of packages today -- I assume
probably because of your intervention -- thanks!

FYI, finally I have managed to run netatalk-1.5-0.20000918mdk.i586.rpm
on SuSe 6.2, at first glance all Quark/Photoshop problems are solved (guest
access only at this time).

I hope from looking at the now provided source rpm I'll finally
get logins working, too.

To all, who worked on netatalk, thanks you all -- now I'm looking
forward to get rid completely of Apple's nasty ASIP server ...

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:04:22 +0000

Just noticed that Freshmeat announced version 1.5-pre1. The homepage link
only lists 1.4.99.

Am I missing something?

Harry

---

From: jeff b <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:14:11 -0400

Harry Zink/Netatalk List wrote:
> 
> Just noticed that Freshmeat announced version 1.5-pre1. The homepage 
> link only lists 1.4.99.
> 
> Am I missing something?

Sorry. I was using the KDE release numbering scheme, in this case to
make it easier on people who use package managers that don't think
1.5pre1 is before 1.5 (RPM in particular).

jeff