Subject: Bug with AppleVolumes.default vs user .AppleVolumes config files?

From: Basil Hussain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 11:40:23 +0000

Hi all,

I think I've found a bug in the handling of volume config files.

I've just upgraded one of my servers from an older version of Netatalk (some
1.4 asun version, forget which exactly) to the latest (8th Nov) 1.4.99 RPM
version.

For the old version, each user was set up with a .AppleVolumes config file
in their home directory. It was basically the same file for each user,
defining a volume for their home directory and a shared web root directory.
This is what it contained:

~ "User Home Directory"
/home/httpd/html "Web Root" casefold:tolower

So, I upgraded to the new version and decided to tidy things up a bit and
put these volume definitions in the /etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default config
file. I put exactly the same directives as above in there.

Then I went to connect to the server in the Chooser. I logged in okay, but
got presented with a volume choice of only "casefold=tolower" (which was in
reality my home directory if I connected to it). This was not what I was
expecting!

Obviously not a config error, I wondered what it could be until I remembered
I still had the .AppleVolumes file in my home directory. Removing it resumed
normal operation. There were no errors in the system logs.

Regards,

------------------------------------------------
Basil Hussain ([email-masked])

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 11:28:35 -0800

What is casefold:tolower in your .AppleVolumes file supposed to represent?

---

From: Basil Hussain <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 09:43:10 +0000

Hi,

> What is casefold:tolower in your .AppleVolumes file supposed to represent?

Err, it was a standard config option last time I checked, which works
absolutely fine - I've been using it for some time. It simply forces all
filenames to lowercase. I quote below the given options in the config file
comments:

# casefold options [syntax: casefold:option]:
# tolower    -> lowercases names in both directions
# toupper    -> uppercases names in both directions
# xlatelower -> client sees lowercase, server sees uppercase
# xlateupper -> client sees uppercase, server sees lowercase

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that it's not the cause of the bug. :)

Regards,