Subject: Macs forgetting to remount volumes

From: Richard Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 15:01:17 +0100

Hi all,

I'm running a server (RedHat 6.1, netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6) with 15
macs attached to it via switched 100Mb Ethernet. I can usually see the
volume via AppleShare in the chooser on the Macs but sometimes (and on
different macs) the connect process doesn't work via selecting the name
in AppleShare but will always work if I enter the IP address. This
occurs on all the macs at some time, I can't see a pattern.

Once the volume is selected and marked for remounting at boot up time,
and the user name and password entered and marked to be remembered it
mounts and works perfectly... until reboot... at which point it might or
might not remount the volume correctly... 

Has anyone had problems with a linux server doing this?

Thanks

Rich

-- 
  Richard Parker, Senior Analyst Programmer, 
	 	TEAMtalk.com
		Random .sig

Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult

---

From: JK <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 02:49:07 -0400 (EDT)

> might not remount the volume correctly... 

Yes, I've had the same trouble. It goes away when I shut down my firewall
server on the same network. 

I think the TCP/IP on some 8.6 and eariler
macs is not *ready* in time for the mounting of netatalk volume at boot.
My OS9 macs are no problem. 

It could be a TCP/IP problem. Perhaps try running a ddp only afpd. 
It's a little more broadcast traffic...

Try to force different appletalk network addresses. I've had some luck
with this. Recently I fixxed this by switching to a classC from a classA.
(10.0.0.0/8 changed to 192.168.0.0/24) And playing around with the
atalkd.conf, limiting the addr to smaller number.

I would like any comments to what the real fix is :)

/jk

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 13:10:51 +0200

>server on the same network. 

This looks like a DNS problem: Something tries to do a reverse lookup (gethostbyaddr()) and this takes that long that a timeout occurs of your Firewall is shut down.

>macs is not *ready* in time for the mounting of netatalk volume at boot.

We have Macs of all flavours sitting here and (because our users are a bit unflexible) we pre-mount them the volumes they need. From OS8 upwards to OS9. Works fine.

>with this. Recently I fixxed this by switching to a classC from a classA.

Eh, you talk about IP and AppleTalk addressing in the same breath?

:wq! PoC