Subject: nbplkup shows nothing

From: "Joe Rhodes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 22:42:18 CDT

Hello Listers!

	Ok, so having solved my initial problem, I'm now looking at getting my age 
old LaserWriter IIg working again.

	nbplkup shows absoluetly nothing--not even my own workstation.  Does this 
mean that the entire netatalk package is currently running over IP?  (The 
machine does show up in my OS 9 chooser)  Can my old LaserWriter work with 
this, or does it require classic appletalk?

	I remember reading somewhere that classic appletalk sometimes requires a 
reboot to make it work if you restart the service. (I've been restarting the 
service ALOT lately.)  It was also suggested that you could unload and 
reload the module, avoiding a reboot.

	I'd like to avoid doing a reboot if I can help it.  The only appletalk 
module I can fine is for a 2.2.14 kernel, and I'm running 2.2.15pre3.  
Trying to load it anyway results in the following errors:

	Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
	appletalk.o was compiled for kernel version 2.2.14-1.3.0bpmac
	while this kernel is version 2.2.15pre3

appletalk.o: unresolved symbol call_out_firewall
appletalk.o: unresolved symbol call_in_firewall
appletalk.o: unresolved symbol call_fw_firewall

	I don't have any other appletalk.o modules except for the 2.2.14 series.  
However, this is the same kernel I was using before I upgraded to 
ASUN2.1.4-39, and nbplkup worked just fine (as did my laserwriter)

	Could anyone clue me in, is there a way to discover if appletalk support is 
compiled into my kernel?  Would that mean I'm doomed for a reboot?  Am I 
missing something really obvious?

Thanks in advance!
-Joe Rhodes

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 23:11:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Joe Rhodes wrote:

> Hello Listers!
> 
> 	Ok, so having solved my initial problem, I'm now looking at
> getting my age old LaserWriter IIg working again.
> 
> 	nbplkup shows absoluetly nothing--not even my own workstation.  
> Does this mean that the entire netatalk package is currently running
> over IP?  (The machine does show up in my OS 9 chooser)  Can my old
> LaserWriter work with this, or does it require classic appletalk?

If your netatalk server shows up in your mac's chooser, then it is running
appletalk.  You can see what is really happening though by looking in your
/var/log/messages (on redhat) during a restart of netatalk.  Here's what
my logs show (IP address masked out):

Jul  2 23:04:41 c9544580-a kernel: NET4: AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0 
Jul  2 23:04:41 c9544580-a atalkd[1580]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
Jul  2 23:04:42 c9544580-a atalkd[1580]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Jul  2 23:05:01 c9544580-a last message repeated 2 times
Jul  2 23:05:11 c9544580-a atalkd[1580]: as_timer configured eth0 phase 2 from seed
Jul  2 23:05:11 c9544580-a atalkd[1580]: ready 0/0/0
Jul  2 23:05:11 c9544580-a atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
Jul  2 23:05:24 c9544580-a atalk: papd startup succeeded
Jul  2 23:05:24 c9544580-a papd[1595]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
Jul  2 23:05:24 c9544580-a atalk: afpd startup succeeded
Jul  2 23:05:30 c9544580-a papd[1595]: register lp:LaserWriter@*
Jul  2 23:05:30 c9544580-a afpd[1606]: c9544580-a:AFPServer@* started on 1.1:130 (1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
Jul  2 23:05:30 c9544580-a afpd[1606]: ASIP started on 24.7.xxx.xxx:548(1) (1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
Jul  2 23:05:30 c9544580-a afpd[1606]: uam: uams_guest.so loaded
Jul  2 23:05:30 c9544580-a afpd[1606]: uam: uams_clrtxt.so loaded
Jul  2 23:05:30 c9544580-a afpd[1606]: uam: uams_dhx.so loaded
Jul  2 23:05:30 c9544580-a afpd[1606]: uam: "DHCAST128" available
Jul  2 23:05:30 c9544580-a afpd[1606]: uam: "Cleartxt Passwrd" available
Jul  2 23:05:30 c9544580-a afpd[1606]: uam: "No User Authent" available

The first line shows my kernel auto-loading the appletalk module.  You can
see that afpd has bound to appletalk address 1.1:130, and ASIP was started
on port 548 of my address.  You should see both those lines, assuming you
are running the file server afpd.

nbplkup shows the following for me (there are no other macs on this
network right now, the printer is advertised with papd):

                     c9544580-a:AFPServer                          1.1:130
                             lp:LaserWriter                        1.1:128
                     c9544580-a:netatalk                           1.1:4
                     c9544580-a:Workstation                        1.1:4

So if atalkd is running, you should see at least your own machine listed.
You really need to look at your /var/log/messages file to see what is
going on.  Post all the details here if you need more help with it...

> reload the module, avoiding a reboot.

I've heard the same thing on this mailing list, but I've never had trouble
starting and stopping netatalk *many* times without rebooting.

> appletalk.o: unresolved symbol call_fw_firewall

This sure looks like appletalk.o isn't loading.  If you installed
2.2.15pre3 from an RPM, it should have included the necessary modules.  If
you compiled 2.2.15pre3 from source, you'll need to go back, mark
appletalk as a loadable module, and run 'make modules; make
modules_install'.

> missing something really obvious?

Your symptoms point towards a missing appletalk module in the kernel, but
check your syslogs (/var/log/messages on redhat) to see if atalkd is
failing to start.

	Andy