Subject: Appletalk lost connections

From: Hong F Du <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:57:22 -0400

Hi All,
I have netatalk netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7.i386.rpm running under Redhat

6.1.
There are two network cards in my linux box. eth0 is connected to
internet, a  router and other existing Macs in, say 'good zone', with
legal ip,  eth1 is connected to a new mac LAN with private ip
(192.168.1.0)
Problems:
Each time I restart atalkd, it causes all macs in 'good zone' lost zone
and printer connections. I have to re-setup AppleTalk and Chooser on
each mac out there.

Is this normall for netatalk or AppleTalk? There is a  router running in

the 'good zone'  already, and my atalkd gets routing information from it
too
and provide  nothing new to the network on eth0, why dose my restarted
atalkd effect the entire 'good zone' on eth0? Is there a way to avoid
this happening?

Thank you for your help.

 feng

PS. I posted this question sometimes ago, and get those rebounced
message. So I don't know it  really get posted for no one responds this
question by far. If you see this message, please reply with a word, any
word so that I know this message went through and I will not keep
resending this message again. Thank You.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:20:36 -0700 (PDT)

> legal ip,  eth1 is connected to a new mac LAN with private ip

What does you atalkd.conf look like?

	Andy

---

From: Hong F Du <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:40:26 -0400

There are only two line in my atalkd.conf, they are:

eth0 -phase 2 -net 6500 -addr 6500.197 -zone "sci" -zone "phys"
eth1 -router -phase 2 -net 402 -addr 402.1 -zone "sci" -zone "phys" -zone
"sci4"

where line eth0 was auto configured by the machine the first time netatalk
started, eth1 was added by me later for the new LAN and zone "sci4"

feng

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 10:37:19 -0700 (PDT)

> started, eth1 was added by me later for the new LAN and zone "sci4"

I'm betting that if you remove the eth1 line, you won't have this problem
anymore.

Is the network on eth1 completely separate from the network on eth0?  Are
there other routers "out there" which are connecting the two?  If eth1 is
a completely separate network, don't assign the same zone names as eth0.

Also, all routers on a network segment must agree about the network range
and the zone names.  I would highly recommend you read:

http://www.neon.com/atalk_routing.html

	Andy