Subject: Re: Netatalk instuctions

From: jeff b <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 13:41:57 -0400

root wrote:
> Hello, can you tell me when in the web or in my linux box, I can
> find a complete instuctions on how to step-up Netatalk.  I know there
> are serveral configuation files in /etc/atalk, but the instructions
> don't help.  I have gone to http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/ and I can't
> find any instuctions on how to step-up Netalk.  Can you please help,

Sorry about the less than helpful instructions.

What OS, processor, version, etc, are you using? (Also, there should be
man pages for all of the files in /etc/atalk to explain vaguely what to
do with them.)

Have you tried asking the netatalk-admins list
([email-masked]) for help on your specific problems?

jeff

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:10:34 -0500 (CDT)

Hi, Jeff.

Can you provide us with a quick e-mail regarding the progress you and the
team have made with the next release of Netatalk? Are there major fixes
that need to be made? Are there areas that you need help with, etc...?

Thanks.
-Dan

Daniel E. Lautenschleger
University of Wisconsin
R.M. Bock Laboratories
Network Administrator and Computer Support

---

From: jeff b <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:49:26 -0400

"Daniel E. Lautenschleger" wrote:
> Can you provide us with a quick e-mail regarding the progress you and
> the team have made with the next release of Netatalk? Are there major
> fixes that need to be made? Are there areas that you need help with,
> etc...?

Sure. Here's a quick rundown of the major ones:

*) Moved to automake/autoconf system (./configure script)

*) Authenticated printing support

*) Server message support

*) Timelord patched and rolled into the distribution

*) Optional "dropbox" support

*) Admin "act-as-root" group support

There are many other minor (as well as major) fixes that I am probably
leaving out, such as the centralization of the randnum afppasswd file,
which now doesn't have to be in ~/.afppasswd, making centralized
administration possible. If I have forgotten something, which I am
pretty sure that I have, I hope someone on the list will be kind enough
to fill you in.

Thanks,
jeff