Subject: Authentication-- Progress and a pertinent issue

From: Greg Lincoln <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:05:53 -0700

Hello all.

It seems that the last build worked after all. I created a brand new user,
and set everything up for them correctly, and the system is using their
password from within their folder, not from the system, which is SO GREAT!

However, I have a group of users, basically our local group, who will be
using this netatalk server. The permissions system wide are set and
everything is swell. However, anyone within this group cannot access the
netatalk server!

I am writing this group because the documentation on this feature does not
explain this. I managed to fix it, however, by trial and error. Although
netatalk only needs user RW access only and owned by that user for it to
work, I could only login if the group of that file was set to the group to
which that user belongs. I did not chmod the file to anything different
thatn the 0600 it already was.

I've got it now, but I am on the right track, aren't I?

ALSO...

None of the afpd/atalk login info is being logged in the messages. Is there
a switch somewhere that I missed?

Thank you all for your input and I'm really jazzed that this whole this is
finally working!

___________________________________
Greg Lincoln, Creative Director
Southwest Strategies, LLC

[email-masked]
858.597.7555

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 20:51:36 -0700

> password from within their folder, not from the system, which is SO GREAT!

Which brings up a pertinent issue - I have NEVER been able to properly
change passwords from a Mac client. Is there some trick?

harry
-- 
CAN'T SEE MAC IN CHOOSER UNDER RedHat 6.2: If you get errors starting
AppleTalk under RedHat 6.2 and Mandrake 7.1, you need to manually add "alias
net-pf-5 appletalk" to your /etc/conf.modules file.