Subject: Re: -50 errors when copying folders?

From: "John Arends" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 19:20:31 -0500

> I've been lurking for a while, and have finally gotten around to giving 
> netatalk a try.  I've got asun2.1.4-39_test installed on a RedHat 6.2
> system.  My volume is has the owner and group set to my test user's, and
> it's currently chmod 777 with the setgid bit on.
>
> The server is running afpd only - all TCP, no Appletalk.
>
> I'm using a B&W G3 running OS 9.0.4 as a client, and am trying to copy
> files to the server.  Copying large files is no problem, but when I try to
> copy a complex folder (containing files, subfolders with files etc.) I get
> the following error:
>
> The item "some file name that's a couple of folders deep" cannot be
> written, because an error of type -50 occurred.  Do you want to continue?
>
> Any idea what's causing this?  Has anyone else seen this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -David
>
>

The user you are logged in as probably does not have permission to write to
.AppleDouble and you are trying to copy a file with a resource fork to the
server. (Applications, etc)

Try checking that and it should solve your problem.

-----
John Arends
[email-masked]

Windows95/98/NT (noun): 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16 bit
patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit
microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of
competition

---

From: David R Bosso <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:31:02 -0700

Just a follow-up.  The problem seems to be caused by the mswindows and 
nohex options.  Having either of these options on causes the -50 errors. 
I'd like to use the mswindows option becuase I'll also be sharing via 
Samba.  The files that cause the errors can be copied over just fine by 
themselves, and they don't seem to have any illegal characters in their 
names.  Are these options broken in 2.1.4-39 because of the lack of 
codepage support in this test?

-David

--On Tuesday, July 11, 2000 7:20 PM -0500 John Arends 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> files to the server.  Copying large files is no problem, but when I try
>> to copy a complex folder (containing files, subfolders with files etc.)
>> I get the following error:
>>
> The user you are logged in as probably does not have permission to write
> to .AppleDouble and you are trying to copy a file with a resource fork to
> the server. (Applications, etc)
>
> Windows95/98/NT (noun): 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16
> bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit