Subject: Re: Only Guest Login with 1.4.99

From: Dave Ritter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 20:18:19 -0700

I think I am having the same problem, except I did my install on RedHat 6.2
using the rpm from sourceforge...

anyone have any ideas?

an install from a 2.1.3-8 rpm works fine

no netatalk config files have been changed from the rpm installed versions
and I have added the "alias net-pf-5 appletalk" to my /etc/conf.modules file

Dave Ritter

> From: rgp systems <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: rgp systems <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 00:37:53 -0700
> To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
> Bcc: "Dave Ritter" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Only Guest Login with 1.4.99
> 
> I successfully compiled and installed 1.4.99 from sourceforge(from
> netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-8.ppc). When I log in to the server from a mac,
> there's no username field, only guest access. All my config files are
> unchanged.
> 
> What do I need to do?
> 
> 
> -- 
> Randy Perry
> rgp systems
> 
> Mac Consulting/Sales
> 
>

---

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 18:14:06 -0700

>Also, how do i know which is the name of the server?
>I do have a domain name (iib005) and that is what appears in the Chooser
>for other Macintoshes, but how do i change this to any other (unrelated)
>name?

I'm assuming you're using the 1.4.99 prerelease. In 
/etc/atalk/netatalk.conf, there's a line that looks like this:

ATALK_NAME=<insertyourservernamehere>

The name that you insert there is what will show in the client's Chooser.

>I'm troubled here since i get my IP number from a DHCP server. It is pretty
>stable, but can change if the netadmin wants to. Is it a good idea to add
>the IP number here or is there any workaround?

Now, I'm a little fuzzy on this, so maybe someone can correct me on this, 
but I think this is how it goes:

1. If the client starts by double-clicking on the server name in the 
Chooser, the client's Mac talks to the server via DDP and asks, "Hey, are 
you on IP?
2. Server says "Yup."
3. Client asks, "What's your IP?"
4. Server looks in /etc/hosts, and if there's an entry matching what 
appears in ATALK_NAME=<servername>, it uses that IP and sends it back.

Now here's my guess, somebody correct me if I'm wrong: If that name 
(whatever you plugged into ATALK_NAME=) isn't in /etc/hosts, but is 
defined on your DNS server, and your Linux box is configured to use that 
DNS server, I think that will work.

So assuming I'm right, you'd need to have your DNS and DHCP configured so 
they coordinate the name of your machine with the assignment of the IP. 
Clear?

Steve (waiting for somebody to knock me off my ignorant bum)