Subject: binary writes fail with latest version

From: "Michael R. Jinks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 17:41:01 -0500

Greetings.  I'm a NetAtalk novice, inherited a system when I started my new
job, not sure how to go about fixing this.

I have Mac users who have reported that every time they try to write any
file which happens to be an executable into our NetAtalk shares, they get 
an "-50" error.  I little asking around locally suggested that this is a
problem with recent versions of MacOS talking to NetAtalk which is fixed in 
the latest A. Sun beta release.  Well, I upgraded, but I just got word that
the problem still exists.

Is this a known issue?  Is there a fix?

TIA,
-m
-- 
Michael Jinks, IB
Systems Administrator, Chicago Center for Computational Psychology
finger [email-masked] for public key
A guiding voice for all humanity: http://www.yellow5.com/pokey/

---

From: Michalowski Thierry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 08:05:19 +0200

I would say you have a problem on the netatalk side concerning the proper
permissions on the resource forks directories.
Executables usually don't have a data fork but a resource fork, as opposed to
"plain" files where there should normally be a data fork and little/no
resource fork.
My 2 pences.
HTH
Thierry Michalowski

--
Thierry Michalowski                                     /
Edipresse Publications S.A                 \\\' ,      / //
Informatique de Production                  \\\//    _/ //'
33,av. de la gare                            \_-//' /  //'
1001 LAUSANNE SUISSE                           \ ///  //'
phone: +41 21 349 46 26                        /  >>   \\\`
mailto:[email-masked]       /,)-^>>  _\`
                                              (/   \\ / \\\
"Unix is user-friendly...                           //  //\\\
It is just selective about who its friends are"    ((`
============================================================================
This message has been checked with GRIMEsweeper which has detected a virus
embedded in this plain text message. You should now delete your entire hard
drive and rinse your eyes with soapy water to ensure it doesn't spread.