Subject: Re: Authentication Issue: Wits end

From: "Joe Rhodes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 13:56:51 CDT

>From: Greg Lincoln <[email-masked]>
>To: Netatalk-Admins <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Authentication Issue: Wits end
>Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:32:36 -0700
>
>I feel like a huge idiot for asking an age old question in netatalk, but I
>can't win, here.
>
>I have read every archived message, every HOWTO, every doc I could find, 
>and
>Anders website from top to bottom.
>
>Every list has a different solution, all of which I have tried. I cannot 
>get
>user authentication to function. I am running Redhat Linux 6.2, so it
>automatically installs PAM and shadow passwords, all of which I have
>accounted for in the Makefiles according to the HOWTO. I have tried all
>normal authentication methods one by one, none work. I have the "passwd"
>file in the home directory. Please assume I've tried all of the solutions 
>at
>least twice, and to no avail.
>
>Nothing works. Perhaps there is a typo or a quick change of which I am not
>aware to jump start this process.
>
>Apparently there aren't that many people having these problems, because
>there is not recent mention of it. I am brand new to this list, and I
>apologize for bringing up this tired subject.
>
>If someone out there can give me a hand I would be forever grateful.
>Anything to keep the powers-that-be from making me employ Windows 2000
>server!
>
>TYIA.
>
>___________________________________
>Greg Lincoln, Creative Director
>Southwest Strategies, LLC
>
>[email-masked]
>858.597.7555
>

Greg-

	I don't know if anyone has answered this for you yet.  If it turns out to 
be helpfull, could you post it back to the list.

	I had a problem after compiling and installing the latest asun package (I 
think it was 2.1.4-pre39 or some such.  My
box is not available to me right at the moment.  Anyway, it was running, 
showed up in the chooser, and would always give me
an error suggesting that my password was incorrect.  (BTW:  it did show that 
I was using a 2way encrypted password.)

	The solution was found after inspecting the /var/log/messages (on LinuxPPC 
2000 system Based loosely off of RH 5.2)
and seeing a message about the ~/.password file having the wrong access 
writes.  The correction was the following:

	Make the actual user the owner of the .password file (in each user's home 
dir)  make sure no one else has read or
write priv's.  Make sure the user in question has log on rights.  (I don't 
know exactly why this is the case, but if I change
the shell to /bin/false, then I'm back to the "invalid password" thing 
again.

	As an example, doing a ls -l .password in my home dir /home/jrhodes  I see
-rw------ .password --blah-blah-blah---  (once again, sorry, but I'm not 
infront of my machine now, so I'm going by memory.)

	Hope this helps some.  If not, shoot me some more info and lets see what 
else you have set up.  I've gotten mine to work
after a lot of headaches, recompiles, and list browsing.  I'd like to put 
some of that info to use...

Regards!
-joe

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com