Subject: Redhat 6.2 netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7.i386.rpm

From: "Leo J. Dejan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 14:13:41 -0400

We've been running netatalk on Redhat 5.2 and would like to move to Redhat
6.2 using the RPM that's available in the powertools directory. However, when
using the init script atalk, papd and afpd start successfully but atalk does not.
When trying to start it from the command line the following message is output:
    socket: Invalid argument
    socket: Invalid argument
    atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.

The RPM could be the problem but I can't seem to find an alternative to try as
I was unsuccessful in compiling the tarball.

Anyone have a similar problem or suggestions?

Thanks,
Leo

-- 
"beyond a given point we are not helped by more knowing, but only by
living and doing in a partly self-forgetful way" - Ernest Becker

Leo Dejan                                             Phone: 505.665.9222
Space Data Systems (NIS-3), D440                      Pager: 505.996.3015
Los Alamos National Laboratory                        Fax  : 505.665.2483
Los Alamos, NM 87545                                  email: [email-masked]
Nonproliferation and International Security Division  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:57:01 +0200 (MEST)

> Anyone have a similar problem or suggestions?

Perhaps you're missing DDP Kernel support.
You'll have to load the appletalk.o kernel module if available or compile
it into a new kernel.

Compiling netatalk is easy (much more than before):

Look at the top level Makefile and sys/linux/Makefile. Follow the
instructions there and give a "make; make install".

Don't forget up update /etc/services (if not done by RedHat already).

This works very fine for me.

:wq! PoC

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 14:59:35 -0700 (PDT)

> Anyone have a similar problem or suggestions?

This has been discussed much recently on this list (or linux-atalk).
Someone suggested putting:

alias net-pf-5 appletalk

in the /etc/conf.modules file so that the kernel can auto-load the
appletalk module for atalkd.

	Andy