Subject: Conecting to UNIX system

From: Gary Milkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:40:58 -0500

I get the following error when trying to connect to the UNIX system from my 
MAC.

"The user authentication method required by this server cannot be found. 
Please check the Appleshare folder in the System folder and try again."

   I could not find an Appleshare folder anywhere in the System folder. The 
afpd.conf file on the server has no entries, as this was the default.

Gary
  =====================================
    Gary R. Milkowski           (781) 981-4935
    MIT Lincoln Lab               (781) 981-2780 FAX
    244 Wood St. A-154        (617) 465-6710 Pager
    Lexington MA 02420        Email [email-masked]

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 20:31:27 +0200

>I get the following error when trying to connect to the UNIX system from my 

It's Mac not MAC. But ayway...

>afpd.conf file on the server has no entries, as this was the default.

Was did the syslog say if you try to log in?

:wq! PoC

---

From: anthony <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 15:14:35 -0500

> It's Mac not MAC. But ayway...

but his Mac likely has a MAC ;>

> Was did the syslog say if you try to log in?

The folder it refers to does not exist, as AS only uses the AppleTalk
UAM by default. You can get other UAM (User Authentication Method) files
and stick them in a folder named that. Then when you use the chooser,
another step is added where you pick the UAM to use. so what is
happening is that the netatalk server is not accepting the appletalk UAM
for some reason.

a quick fix would be an afpd.conf like so:

server -tcp -authall

this is what i use, and it works great. this may not be good for those
obsessed with security (AppletAlk UAM uses cleartext passwords) or those
who are not behind a firewall. YMMV, as always

---

From: Gary Milkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 14:00:10 -0500

>but his Mac likely has a MAC ;>

The error was "my" as I am a UNIX (not Unix) guy =)

---

From: Gary Milkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 14:06:47 -0500

>a quick fix would be an afpd.conf like so:

   I configured the afpd.conf file, stopped and restarted netatalk and 
still the same message. Where would I get the UAM files for the Mac?

---

From: anthony <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 16:27:51 -0500

> >but his Mac likely has a MAC ;>

the joke was more that a MAC usually referes to something very
different, namely the hardware address of the ethernet adapter

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 23:57:24 +0200

>still the same message. Where would I get the UAM files for the Mac?

Again: What's in the syslog if you try to connect?

:wq! PoC

---

From: anthony <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:51:51 -0500

[forwarded to the list as his address did not resolve]

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Yeah, yeah... we all got the joke. Could we stop spamming the list now?

gee, sorry i posted a message that wasn't purely technical!

---

From: "thomas.riewe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:43:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, anthony wrote:
...
> different, namely the hardware address of the ethernet adapter
well that's what the above line says, doesn't it

thomas (R)

---

From: David Blache <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:07:35 -0600

on 3/30/2000 2:43 AM, thomas.riewe at [email-masked] wrote:

> ....

Sheesh, folks, take a break!  Get off the caffeine.  Go outside, enjoy the
sun.  Read some jokes.  Laugh a little.  Have fun.  SMILE!

PLEASE do we really need foul attitudes here?  Lighten up - you'll live
longer!  :)

-- 

                       Go Lemmings, Go!!!
|-------------------------------------------------------------|
| David Blache          Software Developer / Technical Writer |
|-------------------------------------------------------------|
| Microcosm Software    http://www.thesanctuary.com/microcosm |
|-------------------------------------------------------------|

---

From: anthony <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:52:34 -0500

> PLEASE do we really need foul attitudes here?  Lighten up - you'll live

seriously! be glad you're not debugging an IIS/ASP site!