Subject: extremely slow printing from Mac clients

From: Philip Brodd <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 17:03:33 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I'm running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on a netbsd/mac68k 1.5 box.  Attached
to the bsd machine is an Apple Personal LaserWriter NTR (localtalk
connection).  I'm able to do normal printing via lpr with no problems (so
far) using this /etc/printcap:

lp|laser-NTR|Personal LaserWriter NTR:\
    :lp=/dev/tty01:\
    :sd=/var/spool/lp:\
    :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
    :br#9600:\
    :mx#0:\
    :rw:\
    :sh:\
    :fc#0000300:\
    :fs#0000041:
#    :of=/usr/pkg/libexec/psffilters/ofpap:\
#    :if=/usr/pkg/libexec/psffilters/ifpap:

But when I uncomment those last two lines to allow remote Macs to print,
my trouble begins.  It takes a minimum of 10 minutes for a job from a
remote Mac to even start feeding paper.  The job shows up in the queue
immediately, and the printer light starts flashing, but then nothing
happens.

This is my first stab at unix printing, not to mention netatalk, so I
wouldn't be surprised if I have some convoluted redundant cruft at work
somewhere along the line.  

Here's my /etc/netatalk/papd.conf:

Laser Printer:\
        :pr=lp:\
        :pd=/usr/pkg/share/ppd/lw_ntr.ppd:\
        :op=operator:

And my /var/spool/lp/.paprc:

Laser Printer:LaserWriter@*

And here are the last few lines of /var/log/lpd-errs from such a remote
job:

Sep 24 09:54:31 cat papd[184]: child 816 for "Laser Printer" from 65280.128
Sep 24 09:54:35 cat papd[816]: lp_print queued
Sep 24 09:54:35 cat papd[184]: child 816 done

Thanks!

Phil Brodd

---

From: DAve <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 21:53:27 -0700

Quick question here. I'm setting up a new file server for my wife and 
I'd like to use encrypted passwords with it but I've run into two 
problems.

1) I don't know which password method works best, is preferred for a FreeBSD box. 
I've always been behind a firewall with just she and I so I never 
worried about before.

2) Using Slackware at work with Netatalk ver successfully, also 
behind a pair of firewalls, but I cannot get the password to expire. 
I removed and readded all users, set the expire date to 24 hours 
ahead, and the user is never prompted to change passwords. I'm 
running the standard Slackware 7 package(netatalk 1.3)

Any clues?

Thanks,

DAve
-- 
"On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at
 the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait, and waiting -- died"