Subject: excel won't read files

From: James Broermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 16:13:33 -0700 (MST)

Anybody know how to fix this?

excel will read MS exel workbook files from netatalk volumes, but will
not read other formats, such as text from netatalk volumes.  MS word
will read these files OK.

If the text file is "dragged and dropped" to the desktop, excel
will read it.

excel reads non-excel files from the apple server (quadra running 7.6
and appleshare of the same time period).  So, I guessing it has
something to do with netatalk.  I tried changing the top level
directory of the netatalk volume to group writable -- .AppleDouble/
and Network Trash Folder/ were created, but still no luck getting the
file into excel.  The excel error message is

"xyz.dat cannot be accessed.  The file may be read-only or you
may be trying to open a read-only location.  Or, the server
where the document is stored is not responding."

As far as I can tell its not read-only and server is working; files
can be copied back and forth to that folder.

sever is  solaris 2.7 and netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4

Any help will be appreciated.  One of the mac people here
is sure this was working before.

Thanks, Jim

[email-masked]#U of Arizona - Hydrology & Water Resources#520-621-4187

---

From: James Broermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 10:30:49 -0700 (MST)

One person responded saying they had the same problem. They chose a
non-netatalk solution.

I put asun2.1.4 on redhat 6.0 and that didn't seem to work for me
either.

I put 990130 on a sunos 4.1.4 system and the excel problem disapeared.

???

Jim