Subject: read-only templates remain locked

From: Christian Fischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 18:20:08 +0100

Hello all,

after having enjoyed netatalk for a while, I'm currently trying to
install MS-Office workgroup templates on our Linux-PC (when creating a
new office file, these templates can be chosen by the users in the
network). Until now, we used a Mac as server and it worked. The template
folder was opened read-only by the users.

Since we switched to Netatalk, no more than one person at the same time
can open documents based on such a template. Since the users login as
guest and have read-only access, I don't understand  
why the template should be locked - I thought, that the Office
application just quickly reads the template and it is released
afterwards. Nevertheless, the template seems to remain locked, so noone
can use it anymore, until the first user closes his file based on the
template (the first user can open the template many times, btw...). 

This is the error message from afpd:

Feb  7 17:42:45 ihepchw2 afpd[19967]: afp_openfork: ad_open: Permission
denied

Does anyone know what to do? Is there a possibility to tell afpd to
allow read-only access to a file for an arbitrary number of users?

Thanks very much!!

Greetings, 

Christian Fischer

-- 
    _/ _/ _/    _/    _/   _/ _/ _/    Christian Fischer
      _/       _/    _/   _/         
[email-masked]
     _/       _/ _/ _/   _/ _/      
http://www-ihe.etec.uni-karlsruhe.de/
    _/       _/    _/   _/                             
_/ _/ _/    _/    _/   _/ _/ _/                    Tel: 
+49-721-608-6253
Institut fuer Hoechstfrequenztechnik                     
              und Elektronik                       Fax:  +49-721-691865
             Kaiserstrasse 12
            D-76128 Karlsruhe
                 Germany