Subject: Good printer for a netatalk setup

From: Dave Scheltema <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 06:34:48 -0400

I am in the process of setting up a netatalk server that is running on
linux.  I have completed my work on the file sharing end and now it is
on to the printing setup.  I have read up on the man papd file and
checked out some of the other sources available out there.  It seems as
though the way to get this to work is to have a printer that has a .ppd
file provided by adobe.  There are quite a few .ppd files, but it turns
out there is not one for the printer that I currently have on the
network.  This is not a huge concern, but I would like some suggestions
on what a good printer would be for this task.  I am sure that I could
pick almost anyone of the printers that has a .ppd file available, but
some advice from those in the know would help.  Here is what I am
looking for: a color laser that I can user through a parallel port, if
there are fast inkjets out there that too would be fine.  Thanks for the
help, sorry if this boarders on an offtopic subject.
Dave Scheltema

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 08:49:02 +0200

At 6:34 Uhr -0400 10.05.2000, Dave Scheltema wrote:
>Here is what I am
>looking for: a color laser that I can user through a parallel port

All Colour Lasers have Ethernet, I think. Howeverr, they all speak PostScript as well. So you won't get into big trouble getting the right PPD.

>if there are fast inkjets out there that too would be fine.

Since these usually are no PS printers, you'll have to put a RIP (GhostScript) in between. Sometimes the quality isn't as good as expected and there's no PPD (since it's not originally a PS printer).

:wq! PoC