Subject: Where to get Linux version?

From: Jonathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 17:38:55 +1000

Hi all,

I'm just wondering where I'd find the latest version of Netatalk+asun 
for Linux.  I'm enquiring on behalf of a friend of mine and am not a 
Linux person (I got my copy from the FreeBSD ports collection) so 
RTFM responses will not be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

`Jonathan.
---
Jonathan Elliott
Technical Officer
Faculty of Arts, University of Tasmania
Ph. +61 3 6226 2060 Fax c/- +61 3 6226 7842

The G4 is an example of a tool that works and exhibits strong design 
qualities. The Pentium is, sadly, just another computer.

---

From: "Alexander Fordyce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:51:06 -0700

ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing/

Where you'd have found that in the FM if you'd R'd it I don't know.  I had
to be told myself by posting a question to this group.  I have to admit that
I'm distressed at the state of this potentially very useful piece of
software and at the paucity of good quality freely available information
about it -- distressed enough, in fact, that I've abandoned it... I've gone
back to Samba and Dave.

Cheers,
Alex

---

From: Cliff Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:23:23 -0400

<http://www.google.com/search?q=netatalk>
The first hit that comes up is the Linux Netatalk HOWTO, which links
directly to the cobaltnet site, and the third one is the Netatalk home
page, which lists asun's patch on, surprisingly enough, the patches
page.

-- 
cliff crawford    -><-    http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/cjc26/
                                                       icq 68165166
"IS I yes wardrobe yield [the] evaluation."     member of A.H.M.A.D.

---

From: "Alexander Fordyce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 18:43:52 -0700

That's right, it points you to the asun/release directory where you can pick
up the latest release, which doesn't compile on RedHat 6.1.  I'm not alone
in having this problem.  I was advised to get the latest testing release
(which is the link I provided) by another poor suffering soul after posting
a desperate question to this list, as it's not mentioned in any
documentation (not surprisingly).

I have been unable to get even the latest testing release to work properly,
and I've read all the faqs I can find.  I have successfully compiled,
installed, and configured a huge amount of experimental stuff on my various
systems, and this is the only time that I've ever been completely stumped.

I'm still hoping that someone can help out and offer a nugget of wisdom
which magically solve all my problems, but in the meantime, it's not worth
the effort when there are other solutions which are obviously being far more
actively maintained.

Cheers,
Alex.

---

From: [email-masked] (Hans-Peter Jansen)
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 03:49:34 +0200

> about it -- distressed enough, in fact, that I've abandoned it... I've gone

with the downside of a non working auto refresh, Dave itself isn't a
wonder on stability (in other words: i've seen it crashing...),
and it's proprietary.

I'am trying to evaluate how far the quantum leap of real productivity 
is away for netatalk, but Adrian seems very busy, and I don't know, 
where to get some actual docs for this concern. I would like to see 
the functionality of nt services for Macintosh by the speed of netatalk
running on linux ;-)

And it "feels" not to far away from that.

Does someone on these lists would like to point me to some docs explaining
the concepts and specialities of mac [network] file systems. Namely the
DIDs, Network Trash Folder and such beasts. 

Thanks in advance
FrisPete

P.S.: I'm a bit confused with the netatalk mailing list reply tactics. 
      Wouldn't make a Reply-To: $listaddr field in the mail header more
      sense, instead of replying to the sender directly by default?

---

From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 22:56:32 -0400 (EDT)

From: [email-masked] (Hans-Peter Jansen)
   Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 03:49:34 +0200

This came up on the qmail list <[email-masked]> recently, and the
short answer is "No."  The long answer is available at
http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html, which can be summarized
as follows:  It doesn't add anything, and makes it harder to reply only
to the original sender.

					-- Bob Rogers

---

From: Keith Lamont <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 00:02:41 -0500

I didn't compile asun's version, but the pre-asun version, then 
applied the two patches listed in the faq. This is on RedHat 6.2; I 
had to make some minor changes to the source to get it to compile.
I have a pretty trivial set-up; one mac client to the linux server, 
only being used for file sharing. That said, I haven't had any 
problems with it.

Keith
--
A click a day provides someone with a meal.
http://www.thehungersite.com/