Subject: asun2.1.4 release?

From: Dave Ritter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 12:47:38 -0600

are we even close to a release for 1.4b2+asun2.1.4?

I have been trying, without any success, to get a working version to compile
from the "pre" source code...

the "server_quantum" feature is most important for my users, with
1.4b2+asun2.1.3 our G4s can not save files to our servers from Quark XPress.
This seems to even affect printing documents with art located on the
netatalk servers.

It is very frustrating to have a partial solution in hand and not be able to
use it because of unix compiling problems, I am not a unix expert - just a
DTP tech that would like to use the best tools for the job.

> On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Griesmayer Andreas wrote:
> 
>> i have a real problem with netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3. our server somtimes
>> (too often) closes the connections while reading or writing.
>> i'm afraid this can lead to fatal data-loss on our (huge) XPress files.
>> so any help an suggestions are very welcome !
>> 
>> Environment:
>> Version 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 (binary RPM privided py SuSE Linux 6.3).
> 
> Could you try the latest pre-release version from:
> 
> ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing
> 
> Andy
> 
>

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 09:10:44 +1300

I'm building Red Hat Linux boxes every day for sale as Appleshare 
servers for prepress and design, and have found that, at least on 
RH6.1, everything works well with pre2.1.437b if.....

- In the Makefile, you comment out:
	#CRYPTODIR=
	#DESDIR=
	#CRACKDIR=

and then add DEFS= -DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS to you sys/linux/Makefile in 
your netatalk folder.

I realise that this means that Cleartext passwords are used etc, but 
at least Quark files save, print and work fine to OS9 G4s and 
8100/80s!!

just my experience.....

mrad01

>  > ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing

========================================================

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer."
		Marcus Radich 1999

========================================================

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 22:21:26 -0800

on 3/9/00 12:10 PM, Marcus Radich at [email-masked] wrote:

> I'm building Red Hat Linux boxes every day for sale as Appleshare servers for
> prepress and design, and have found that, at least on RH6.1, everything works
> well with pre2.1.437b if.....

Does this work reliably with maintaining alias'?

Do you have an RPM or SRPM for this?

Harry

---

From: R Cent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 10:33:42 -0700 (PDT)

I am preparing to compile netatalk on our new Intel server
running Mandrake Linux 7.0-2.  I have been using the
1.4b2+asun2.1.3-2 rpm-installed netatalk for over a year on my
old server.  Our LAN has a whole range of Macs on it from IIfx
to G4, running OS 7.6.1 to OS 9.

I see that there are several versions of netatalk to choose
from.  I'm not sure what the differences are between the
versions.  Which one should I choose and why?

pre-asun2.1.4-37b
pre-asun2.1.4-38b test
pre-asun2.1.4-39 test

_____________________________
Bob Cent 
University of Washington
Box 357330
Seattle, WA  98195-7330  

mailto: [email-masked]
voice:  206.543.1433
fax:    206.685.0305
_____________________________

---

From: R Cent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:29:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I ran into trouble compiling the "pre-asun2.1.4-39 test" version
of netatalk.  I've included the compiler report below.  This is
my first time compiling anything on Linux.  All help and
suggestions are welcome and appreciated.  Thanks.

[root@fuchslab netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4]# make 
ln -s ../sys/netatalk include/netatalk
Making all for linux...
make[1]: Entering directory 
`/root/netatalk/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/sys/linux' 
make[2]: Entering directory 
`/root/netatalk/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/libatalk' 
if [ ! -f /usr/lib/librpcsvc.a -a ! -f /lib/librpcsvc.a ]; then \
    RPCSVCDEFS=-DNEED_RQUOTA; \ 
fi; \ 
cd asp; make -w CC="gcc "DEFS="-DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX -DNEED_QUOTACTL_WRAPPER 
" \
    RPCSVCDEFS="${RPCSVCDEFS}" \
    OPTOPTS="-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fsigned-char 
-Wunused-Wuninitialized " T
CPWRAPDIR="/usr" DB2DIR="" 
make[3]: Entering directory 
`/root/netatalk/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/libatalk/asp' 
mkdir profiled 
gcc -p -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX-DNEED_QUOTACTL_WRAPPER -O2 
-fomit-frame-pointe r -fsigned-char-Wunused -Wuninitialized 
-I../../include -c asp_attn.c
asp_attn.c:6: stdio.h: No such file or directory 
asp_attn.c:7: string.h: No such file or directory
asp_attn.c:8: syslog.h: No such file or directory 
asp_attn.c:9: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
asp_attn.c:10: sys/uio.h: No such file or directory
In file included from asp_attn.c:12:
../../include/atalk/atp.h:27: sys/cdefs.h: No such file or
directory 
../../include/atalk/atp.h:28: sys/types.h: No such
file or directory 
../../include/atalk/atp.h:29: sys/time.h: No
such file or directory In file included from
../../include/atalk/atp.h:30,
                 from asp_attn.c:12:
../../include/netatalk/at.h:11: sys/socket.h: No such file or
directory 
../../include/netatalk/at.h:12: asm/types.h: No such
file or directory 
../../include/netatalk/at.h:13: linux/atalk.h:
No such file or directory In file included from
../../include/atalk/atp.h:31,
  from asp_attn.c:12:
../../include/netatalk/endian.h:11: sys/types.h: No such file or
directory 
../../include/netatalk/endian.h:12: netinet/in.h: No
such file or directory 
../../include/netatalk/endian.h:67:
endian.h: No such file or directory
../../include/netatalk/endian.h:96: #error Like, what is your
byte order, man? 
In file included from asp_attn.c:13:
../../include/atalk/asp.h:27: sys/types.h: No such file or
directory ../../include/atalk/asp.h:28: sys/cdefs.h: No such
file or directory In file included from
../../include/atalk/asp.h:32,
  from asp_attn.c:13:
../../include/atalk/afp.h:27: sys/types.h: No such file or
directory In file included from ../../include/atalk/asp.h:33,
                 from asp_attn.c:13:
../../include/atalk/server_child.h:9: sys/cdefs.h: No such file
or directory 
../../include/atalk/server_child.h:10: sys/types.h:
No such file or directory make[3]: *** [asp_attn.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/root/netatalk/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/libatalk/asp ' make[2]:
*** [asp] Error 2 make[2]: Leaving directory
`/root/netatalk/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/libatalk' make[1]: ***
[../../libatalk] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory
`/root/netatalk/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/sys/linux'
make: *** [all] Error 2

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 14:01:46 +0200

>versions.  Which one should I choose and why?

If you want to test and verify the stability of netatalk, use the versions you mentioned. If stability is a major need, use the version you used before.

:wq! PoC

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 16:40:03 -0500 (CDT)

Does anyone know when asun2.1.4 final is due for release? 

Daniel E. Lautenschleger
University of Wisconsin
R.M. Bock Laboratories
Network Administrator and Computer Support
[email-masked]
608.262.3403