Subject: Netatalk + FreeBSD 4.0

From: Uwe Laverenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 11:21:05 +0200

Hi all,

I've installed netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on FreeBSD 4.0 form the ports.
We have two machines running MacOS 9 using the BSD box as file server.

The problem: everything works as expected, but whenever the Macs want to
create an EPS file on the server volume (e.g. with Photoshop or Finder),
the Mac loses the connection to the server. Copying an EPS file from the
desktop to a server volume is possible.

Do you have any ideas, how this strange behaviour can be
explained/fixed?

Thanks for your help,
Uwe

---

From: Uwe Laverenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 16:45:31 +0200

Hi,

some additional info.

> desktop to a server volume is possible.

These are the error messages on the server (/var/log/messages):

Jun  8 16:40:09 db afpd[330]: dsi_stream_read(-1): Connection reset by
peer
Jun  8 16:40:09 db afpd[330]: dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe
Jun  8 16:40:09 db afpd[330]: dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe

Thank you,
Uwe

---

From: Uwe Laverenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 18:40:59 +0200

Hi all,

my problems seem to be solved. On both Macs I've switched TCP/IP from
"ethernet" to "Mac-IP" and now everything works as it should.

Could anybody please explain the difference between these two options to
me? I'd like to understand why it works now. :-)
 
Thank you for your help,
Uwe

---

From: Uwe Laverenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:41:40 +0200

Hi,

> me? I'd like to understand why it works now. :-)

Got it. Sorry for that stupid question.

Uwe