Subject: RE: Why no root login

From: Michalowski Thierry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 20:03:17 +0100

I suggest you just allow (chmod o+rx) read access to the directory structure
to everyone (standard Unix).
Then logging as nobody, guest, whatever user should provide you with the
rights to read everything for writing it on a CD.

chmod'ing to and back from odd permissions is just easy to write from the
Unix side (think sh, bash, csh, perl), so even if you have that environment,
I guess running a script for 10 seconds before and after burning CDs for
several minutes is affordable.

HTH
Thierry Michalowski

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Reid [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 7:48 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Why no root login

I use netatalk in schools. We let students have accounts. Students 
graduate. I've always wanted root login so that I can make a CD Rom with 
student files on them without needing to know student passwords and without 
logging out and in hundreds of times. There are deep technical reasons 
related to our computing environment why we cannot use group permissions to 
do this.