Subject: Re: CR/LF question

From: Peter DiCamillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 01:00:41 -0400

Clemens Anhuth wrote:
>Does it not make more sense to use text tools that can cope with the
>different text file formatting instead of having the file server
>make an educated guess on wether to do it or not?
I'm not proposing any solution that involves guessing.  The problem 
we're encountering is that the Finder and some other programs, such 
as StuffIt, create a file with some other type, write data to the 
file, then change the type to TEXT when done.  That results in the 
data not being translated when written, but then being translated 
when read (since the type has become TEXT).  The solution I'm 
proposing is to never translate such files.  The code would keep 
track of whether the original type of the file at it's creation was 
TEXT, and subsequently use that information instead of the current 
type when deciding whether or not to translate.

Peter

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 01:20:10 -0400

> From:    Peter DiCamillo <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> type when deciding whether or not to translate.

To be a more perfect mac-only file repository, CR/LF translation should
be disabled.  If you want to successfully share files between macs and
unix machines, CR/LF has certain benefits.  It is some what less
necessary these days, at least for users familiar with editors like
BBEdit.  Unsophisticated users may still benefit from CR/LF
translation, tho the possibility of confusion may make it undesirable.

This is a frequently asked question...

:wes