Subject: Error return -5018 when connecting to server.

From: "Tom Watson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 00:37:31 -0800

I've just put a netatalk system on a local Linux box and on the face
of it, it looks OK.  There is a "small" problem.  When attempting to
connect to the server from a client, I get an error -5013 (object not
found) in response to the "get file directory params" packet.

The previous packets:
Get Status, Get status reply
Open Session, Open Session reply
AFP 1.1 Username and Password login, Login no error
Map name & username to user id, no error reply
Get Server Params, Reply volume name "home"
Open Volume, No error (creation & Modification date around 2030) 2 Gb free
                             2 Gb available.

Then the Get file directory parameters with error return.

The installation is basically a Debian system with its default files for
"AppleVolumes.system" and "AppleVolumes.default".  In particular the
root directory is NOT exported.  It looks like I've left out a step, but
I have no idea where to look.  All the HowTo documentation indicates that
I did the "right thing", so I ask here.

Note:  The above packet traces are from observation on a tracing machine
looking over the transaction.  All of which look acceptable to me, except
for the error.  I've tried an AppleVolumes file in the user home directory,
and that does change the volume name, but the same error pops up.  Is this
because I'm using AFS 1.1 on my client??

Thanks for any help.
-- 
Tom Watson         Generic short signature
[email-masked]     (I'm at home now)

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 13:05:14 +0200

>found) in response to the "get file directory params" packet.

Anything appearing in the syslog?

:wq! PoC

---

From: Ron Chmara <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 14:01:56 -0700

> Open Volume, No error (creation & Modification date around 2030) 2 Gb free

<shooting in the dark>
There's still a year 2024 limit, on some client sides, no?
</shooting in the dark>

Over the years, I've run into lots of problems with specific clients/servers
interacting, but were amusingly (annoyingly?) only specific to those
situations.

> because I'm using AFS 1.1 on my client??

Possibly? Hit it (the server) with a few clients with different software for
Open Transport, for appleshare.  I guess I'm suggesting a wider range of
experimentation to determine if the error varies wildly across client end,
of if it's consistant with all client software.... you might also make sure
this happens with only a crossover cable between server/cleint, to rule
out problems with networking (Minor for smaler packets (username/pass),
but may manifesy when askig for something as big as a directory.)

None of this is the answer, but it may help refine the question....

Just for the uhm, obvous question, doe the user have appropriate
perms?

-Bop

--
Brought to you from iBop the iMac, a MacOS, Win95, LinuxPPC machine,
which is currently in MacOS land.  Your bopping may vary.