Subject: Some Minor Troubles w/netatalk 1.5pre3

From: Tara Piorkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 16:11:11 -0500

Hello.

I've been trying to get netatalk 1.5pre3 running correctly and, while most
things are going great, I've run into a couple of obstacles. I'm attempting
to run the daemon on a Compaq Proliant 800 using the TLAN Ethernet driver
and a RedHat 6.2 distribution of Linux. Here are my issues...

1. ...is no big deal, though I suspect there's a cleaner workaround than I
used. In essence, the make of the program fails when it gets to the contents
of the etc/uams directory complaining that ld cannot find lcrypto. I am
using OpenSSL 0.9.5a, which is installed under /opt/openssl. Both the
include and lib directories are found under that parent. I have specified
--with-ssl-dir=/opt/openssl in ./configure. I got the compile complete, but
had to make a link to libcrypt.a in /usr/lib, which is clunky. Just thought
something was funky in the configure scripts and that someone might want to
make an adjustment. Regrettably, my knowledge isn't extensive enough to
recognize the change.

2. This is the one that's really bugging me -- it existed in
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4pre39, too. Basically I cannot get anything to come
up in the Chooser of my MacOS 8.6 client after the server started. I have
left atalkd.conf empty. Upon starting atalkd, the following gets dumped to
the logs...

Dec 29 15:53:19 tarasrv atalkd: eth0: multicast may not work correctly.
Dec 29 15:53:29 tarasrv atalkd[28812]: ready 0/0/0
Dec 29 15:53:29 tarasrv rc.atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
Dec 29 15:53:29 tarasrv atalkd[28812]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Dec 29 15:53:39 tarasrv atalkd[28812]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Dec 29 15:53:49 tarasrv atalkd[28812]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Dec 29 15:53:59 tarasrv atalkd[28812]: config for no router

As noted above, I'm using the TLAN driver, as detailed below...

TLAN 1.3c: eth0 irq=15 io=2c20, Compaq Netelligent Integrated 10/100 TX UTP,
Rev. 16

Assuming that the problem was related to multicast problems I checked Adrian
Sun's README.ASUN, which talks about certain NICs having multicast problems,
but didn't see a reference to this device.

Question: Are there known problems between this device and netatalk? Are
there workarounds? Am I doing something else wrong?

I appreciate any help any of you can give me as I'd very much like to have
this server finished and up and running. Thanks in advance.

- Tara

-- 
Tara Piorkowski
Network Administrator, vilaj.com

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 13:29:42 -0800 (PST)

> this server finished and up and running. Thanks in advance.

Does it work if you put the interface into promiscuous mode by running
'/sbin/ifconfig eth0 promisc'?

	Andy