Subject: quotas and "disappearing" files

From: "Robert J. Rust" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 08:45:26 -0500

I've searched the recent two years worth of the mailing list archives and
didn't find anything relating to this problem, so I thought I'd ask.  :)

Background: We have a server running Solaris 2.6 and netatalk
1.4b2+asun2.1.4pre? (not sure which pre-release .. from August '99).  When
each user logs in using a script application we wrote for the purpose, they
are connected to three volumes.  One volume is their home directory, the
other two contain folders for shared areas for users in particular
university courses or organizations.

Problem: We recently started enforcing a 50 MB quota for each user on the
server using the veritas file system.  Now, when any user who is over quota
logs in, all the files on all the volumes disappear the moment they try to
access any of the volumes.  I.e. user logs in, opens 'Home' volume, and the
contents are there for a split second, then disappear.  The files are of
course still there, but they can't access them.  This also means they can't
delete files to get themselves back under quota.  Any suggestions to solve
this would be greatly appreciated.  We'd really rather not raise quotas for
the affected users as they would then have no incentive to delete files
(they were warned a week ago that they were over quota before we started
enforcing it).

Robert Rust

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Robert J Rust
Microcomputer Specialist
UW - River Falls IT Services
(715) 425-4357
[email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~