Subject: Re: Sol7/asun213/AFS35 "renamefile" linking error?

From: "Paul T Hirose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:21:10 -0800 (PST)

>    Adrian, how about adding a call to 'dlerror' and sending the output to
> sure. actually, you should use mod_error().

The error I care about (the clrtxt one) is as follows:
uam_load (uams_clrtxt.so): ld.so.1: ../sbin/afpd: fatal: relocation error: file /local/atalk/etc/uams/uams_clrtxt.so: symbol kcheckuser: referenced symbol not found

Looking around for kcheckuser, I found it on line 310
etc/uams/uams_kerberos/uam_kerberos.c, buried at the very very top with
  #if defined( KRB ) || defined( UAM_AFSKRB )
which as far as I can tell is never actually defined.  I put nonsensical
garbage around line 10 of the uam_kereberos.c file so gcc would break if
it ever got to it, and it never did.

I don't watn Kerberos, per se.  ANd I know netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.2 worked
for me when I used AFS but not Kerberos.  OF course this whole UAM thing is
rather new (or so it appears)

> appropriate uam. hmm. you probably should get pre-37b. that has some

I don't see pre-37b in the testing/ directory on washington's FTP site.

On a tangent, here's the same issue for uams_guest.so:
	symbol setpag: referenced symbol not found

PH

-- 
Paul Hirose          : [email-masked] : Sysadm Motto: rm -fr /my/life
1035 Academic Surge  : Programmer/Analyst   : Backup Motto  : rm -fr /
One Shields Avenue   : Fax   (530) 752-4465 :-------------------------------
Davis, CA 95616-8770 : Voice (530) 752-7181 : rec.pets.cat.anecdotes \(^_^)/

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:08:34 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Paul T Hirose wrote:

> The error I care about (the clrtxt one) is as follows: uam_load
> (uams_clrtxt.so): ld.so.1: ../sbin/afpd: fatal: relocation error: file
> /local/atalk/etc/uams/uams_clrtxt.so: symbol kcheckuser: referenced
> symbol not found
> 

I would just comment out that section in etc/uams/uams_passwd.c and
etc/uams/uams_guest.c.

> I don't see pre-37b in the testing/ directory on washington's FTP site.

He has moved recently (new job, I think).  The latest stuff is now at:
ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing/

	Andy

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 19:40:29 -0800

erk. add ${AFSLIBS} ${KRBLIBS} to the appropriate places in
etc/uams/Makefile.

-a

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 19:40:29 -0800

-a

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 22:52:19 +1300

Greetings.

There seems to be a problem between the new G4 system (AGP with OS9 
pre-installed - not 8.6) and saving to netatalk servers via IP.

If I mount a netatalk volume from a RH Linux box running asun2.1.3 
via TCP/IP, open a file in Photoshop and then save the file back to 
the Server volume, the system seems to hang for a while (20 seconds - 
with no network activity, except a slight blip at the beginning) and 
then the Server volume suddenly unmounts and an error comes up about 
"the volume is not present, the save could not continue."

This also happens with QuarkXPress.

When you go back to the Finder, you find that the server has indeed unmounted.

I have proven this in 3 seperate sites..each with a netatalk server 
and at least 1 new G4.

The "workaround" is to _not_ assign an IP number to the G4 - forcing 
it to mount the volumes via Appletalk....all works fine....but is 
slow...

I need help!!

Is there some logging I can turn on and send the results to someone 
to have a look at....i'm sure as more of these new G4s enter the 
market, more of us will have this problem.

Is anyone else out there able to confirm this? or having this problem?
========================================================

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer."
		Marcus Radich 1999

This message has been checked with GRIMEsweeper which has detected a virus
embedded in this plain text message. You should now delete your entire hard
drive and rinse your eyes with soapy water to ensure it doesn't spread.

========================================================

---

From: "m.cabanski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:16:23 +0000

in response to attached posting;
we are a medical research unit in london, our network looks something like
this:
1. 200 Mac PPc workstation/client machines
(some acting as controllers for various lab equipment)
2. 3 LINUX boxen, mail, file, ftp and http servers
(netatalk1.4b2+asun2.1.3/SAMBA)
(Pent.III/600mhz, 133FSB, 820chipSet, 256mb RAM, 18gb SCSI U/W HD)
3. 20 Wintel workstation/client machines
(some acting as controllers for various lab equipment)
4. 10/100 BaseT etherNet (switched, Cisco 1924 and 2900 series)
5. cat5 structured cabling
6. 100FX fibre connection to internet

i try to keep all the client and serverMachines well maintained and up to
date on the OS and app.
software front, and we have yet to have any major probs. (including the
ones you have mentioned).  as we are rather Mac heavy on the client side, i
monitor the <[email-masked]> mailing list, and try to implement
various reeported probs. on our network, 9 times out of 10, we dont
experience the reported faults, no matter how hard we try and push it.  i
attribute our success to keeping a DB which tracks network changes and
updates, (i.e. OS/app. software compatibility),  regular weekly and monthly
maint., use of high quality/costEffective components, keeping an eye out
for rouge machines/equipment being put on the LAN.  in conclusion, i must
say i give LINUX RH6.1 w/ netatalk1.4b2 serving a mixed network of Macs and
PCs, a fairly clean bill of health.

feel free to be in touch for advice, and exchange of info.

Ciao,
michael j. cabanski
     MRC/LMCB
07939.261.698 mob.
0171.380.7805 fax
0171.380. 7806 recpt.
Gordon Street
London WC1E 6BT
UK

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 10:05:00 -0500

> 1. 200 Mac PPc workstation/client machines

me too.  i haven't had any problems with netatalk installed on a linux box.
if you are running redhat, i suggest you to get the source RPM package,
re-build the RPM, and install it.  unless the rpm package was built by
redhat, it is better that to re-build it by yourself.

ayu

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:29:50 +1300

Yes, I agree that it is stable and great - in fact, I have been 
installing netatalk on linux systems since 1997, and have several 
customer sites all around the city. I always compile my own code, I 
don't like using other people's binaries too much.

The problem I am talking about is specifically with new G4 systems 
which come with MacOS 9 pre-installed from Apple. The G4 which 
originally shipped with 8.6 is fine.

Anyone tried this specific combination?

New G4 w/MacOS 9 preloaded talking to RH Linux 6.1 w/ 1.4+asun2.1.3?

---

From: Thierry Michalowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 21:58:37 +0100

Try to check the version of the AppleShare client. We had some weird problems
with AppleShare client versions that came with G4 - 8.6. Try to revert to the
"old" 3.8.3 AppleShare that comes with plain MacOS8.6 and see if it's the
problem. Of course, you won't be able to rely on keychain with it...

Hope this helps
Thierry Michalowski

P.S: Our problems happend with Helios Ethershare, not Netatalk!

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 16:14:53 -0800

it's actually a bug with the appleshare client. i've implemented a
workaround in my current development code to deal with it.

-a

---

From: R Cent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 18:01:50 -0800 (PST)

> it's actually a bug with the appleshare client. i've
> implemented a workaround in my current development code to
> deal with it.

Where are the newest versions of netatalk?
ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun seems to be gone.

Also, where is the best FAQ for netatalk?

Thanks.

_____________________________
Bob Cent 
University of Washington
Box 357330
Seattle, WA  98195-7330  

mailto: [email-masked]
voice:  206.543.1433
fax:    206.685.0305
_____________________________

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 22:31:09 +1300

Yes, 2.1.4b37 is the solution to the G4 problem, and the Quark 4.1 
-199 "Preview" issue when saving.
It can be found in the testing directory here:

ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com//pub/users/asun/

Many thanks asun for the work!