Subject: netatalk over FDDI (???)

From: Greg Cunningham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 12:47:37 +1000

Hello
The Netatalk FAQ says that some FDDI cards are supported.  I am using RH6.1
with a DEC DEFPA FDDI NIC & a SMC-Ultra Nic (10BaseT).  I used
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7.i386.rpm off the RH6.2 Power Tools CD.

syslog startup:
Oct 16 12:24:11 web kernel: defxx.c:v1.04 09/16/96  Lawrence V. Stefani
([email-masked])
Oct 16 12:24:11 web kernel: fddi0: DEFPA at I/O addr = 0xE800, IRQ = 11,
Hardware addr = 00-00-F8-48-5A-27
Oct 16 12:24:11 web kernel: smc-ultra.c:v2.02 2/3/98 Donald Becker
([email-masked])
Oct 16 12:24:11 web kernel: eth0: SMC Ultra at 0x280, 00 00 C0 67 E6 9D, IRQ
3 memory 0xd0000-0xd3fff.

Atalkd starts OK on the SMC NIC but not on the DEFPA.

Oct 16 16:06:09 web kernel: NET4: AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0
Oct 16 16:06:09 web atalkd[929]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Oct 16 16:06:09 web atalkd[929]: setifaddr: fddi0: Protocol not supported
Oct 16 16:06:09 web atalkd: AppleTalk not up!
Oct 16 16:06:09 web atalkd:  Child exited with 1.

Does the message "fddi0: Protocol not supported" mean that I can't use the
DEFPA NIC or is there some additional configuration needed in order to to
get it operating?
--
Greg Cunningham   			Mo: +61 (0)4 0705 6788
IT Support Officer   		Ph:  +61 (0)3 6440 7453
Harris & Company limited   	Fx:  +61 (0)3 6440 7455	
PO Box 63 Burnie             Tasmania        Australia  	
mailto://[email-masked]
	-- Tasmania, Holiday Isle --