Subject: Driver (ddp) successfully added to system but failed to attach

From: Irena N Tuzla-Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 11:12:49 -0400

Hi,

I successfully built netatalk ("netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4" from the
source solaris27-64bit-TCP-DES.tar.gz) on Solaris 7, UltraSparc 10, BUT
when I compile it into the kernel (make kinstall), I get the error:

/usr/ucb/install -c ddp.conf /usr/kernel/drv/ddp.conf
/usr/sbin/add_drv -m '* 0666 root sys' ddp
devfsadm: driver failed to attach: ddp
Warning: Driver (ddp) successfully added to system but failed to attach
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `kinstall'

I saw in the mailing list a few similar errors, but it didn't help!!!!

I mention that I did try several alternatives to compile it (and I've
got the same error):

1. with gcc and 64-bit kernel
2. with SUN cc and 64-bit kernel
3. with gcc and without 64-bit kernel
4. with SUN cc and without 64-bit kernel

I have no idea what else I should try. Maybe someone could help me.

Thanks,
Irena

--
Unix Systems Administrator
Institute for Advanced Study

---

From: Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 09:36:10 -0600 (MDT)

> I saw in the mailing list a few similar errors, but it didn't help!!!!

You need to read the README in the ftp directory which talks about needing
to read the INSTALL/README.SOLARIS that comes with the distribution that
you picked up. Sounds like you didn't modify /etc/netconfig or
/etc/services and reboot.

Tim

Tim Carlson                                  Voice:    (505) 984-8800x255
Director of Computing: Santa Fe Institute    Fax:      (505) 982-0565
WWW: http://www.santafe.edu/~tim             Email:   [email-masked]

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 09:02:53 -0700 (PDT)

> I have no idea what else I should try. Maybe someone could help me.

I have no experience with this, but maybe you could add the "-v" option to
the add_drv line in sys/solaris/Makefile under kinstall?  Or just run the
command "add_drv -v -m '* 0666 root sys' ddp" by hand now.  Maybe with
verbose turned on it will give a better clue about why it could not
attach?

	Andy