Subject: Re: Only Guest Login with 1.4.99

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 21:36:03 -0700

Ok, here ya go. This should work for Redhat-ish distros. I'm assuming no 
previous Netatalk install.

First, I made sure my distro had OpenSSL 0.9.5a installed. Redhat's RPM 
works fine for that. Then I installed the 
netatalk1.4.99-20000927.i386.rpm (forgive a typo here as I didn't verify 
this name). After those prerequisites, do the following:

Step 1 (as root):

cd /etc/atalk/uams
ln -s uams_dhx_pam.so uams_dhx.so
ln -s uams_pam.so uams_clrtxt.so

Step 2 (as root):

I added this line to my /etc/atalk/afpd.conf file to enable DHX and 
disable guest and cleartext access, enable savepassword and setpassword 
privileges:

- -transall -uamlist uams_dhx.so -savepassword -setpassword

Note: DHX requires Mac OS 8.1 clients or later, or AppleShare Client 
3.8.5 (I believe) or later.

If you wanted, for example to add cleartext and guest access, the line 
would look like this:

- -transall -uamlist uams_guest.so,uams_clrtxt.so,uams_dhx.so 
-savepassword -setpassword

Step 3 (as root):

Add an appropriate line to your /etc/hosts file to enable default TCP/IP 
connections. For example, if your server's name is Schizo and Schizo's IP 
is 192.168.0.12, the line would look like this:

192.168.0.12   schizo

I think that's it. Did I forget anything, anybody?

Steve

---

From: Fernan Aguero <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 11:53:58 -0300

> I think that's it. Did I forget anything, anybody?

I'm troubled here since i get my IP number from a DHCP server. It is pretty
stable, but can change if the netadmin wants to. Is it a good idea to add
the IP number here or is there any workaround?
Also, how do i know which is the name of the server?
I do have a domain name (iib005) and that is what appears in the Chooser
for other Macintoshes, but how do i change this to any other (unrelated)
name?

Thanks in advance.

-- 

Lic. Fernan Aguero

Instituto de Investigaciones Biotecnologicas
Universidad Nacional de General San Martin

Parque Tecnologico Miguelete
INTI, Edificio 24, 1650, San Martin, Argentina

Phone: 54-11-4580-7255 ext 310
Fax:   54-11-4752-9639
Email: [email-masked]
Web:   under construction