Subject: Re: crazy syslog errors!

From: Benjamin Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 11:32:22 -0500

At 4/29/00 2:51 AM, Jamie McParland ([email-masked]) wrote:

>Wow i  don't know whats up with this. I was having trouble with my linux box
>showing up in the chooser, i added this
>eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 40-49 -addr 41.1 -zone "100 baseLinux Box"
>eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 50-59 -addr 51.1 -zone "10 base Linux Box"
>
>I am running RH 6.1 not sure of the netatalk version. 2 nic cards so i can
>IP masq
>
>Apr 28 22:35:35 jamiemcparland atalkd[594]: rtmp_packet interface mismatch
>Apr 28 22:36:15 jamiemcparland last message repeated 4 times
>Apr 28 22:37:25 jamiemcparland last message repeated 7 times
>Apr 28 22:38:35 jamiemcparland last message repeated 7 times
>Apr 28 22:39:45 jamiemcparland last message repeated 7 times
>Apr 28 22:40:55 jamiemcparland last message repeated 7 times
>Apr 28 22:42:05 jamiemcparland last message repeated 7 times
>Apr 28 22:43:15 jamiemcparland last message repeated 7 times
>Apr 28 22:44:25 jamiemcparland last message repeated 7 times
>Apr 28 22:45:35 jamiemcparland last message repeated 7 times
>Apr 28 22:46:45 jamiemcparland last message repeated 7 times
>Apr 28 22:47:55 jamiemcparland last message repeated 7 times

If you shut down atalkd, does your AppleTalk network still have zones?  
It looks as though you're seeding the network (-seed) on an interface 
which already has a seed router (thus zones), and your net range doesn't 
match the other seed router's net range.  If this is the case, *shut down 
atalkd immediately* until you can fix the problem.  Conflicting seed 
routers can really screw up an AppleTalk network.  
(Computers/printers/zones will spontaneously appear and disappear in the 
Chooser; not all Macs will be able to see all other Macs; ...)

Depending on what each of your Ethernet interfaces is connected to, you 
may have to seed one interface but not the other one.

--Benjamin Gilbert