Subject: directory contents missing ...

From: Brice Ruth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 09:58:58 -0600

Here's the situation: I have various shares, one is mapped to /tmp and 
another is mapped to htdocs/$u (users web share).  I discovered this 
problem with my /tmp share.  I went in to it this morning and found that 
the contents of all the directories off of /tmp were gone ... all the 
files located in /tmp were present, all the directory names were still 
present, but the contents were gone.  And not just from Appletalk's pov 
- I went on the server and ls -al all the directories  including 
lost+found ... nothing there.  Something removed the directories 
contents and I suspect it was netatalk. 

The machine is a 700MHz Athlon with 128MB RAM with two 6GB drives.  I'm 
running netatalk from 20001108 on RedHat 7 (unmodified kernel) - should 
be 2.2.17 or so. The filesystem is ext2.  The machine is shutdown 
properly every night and the missing directory contents have only been 
discovered in appletalk shares.

Is there some way I can turn on debugging in netatalk so that it reports 
EVERYTHING it does in some log?  That way I can maybe see if netatalk is 
indeed the culprit.

Regards,

-- 
Brice Ruth
WebProjkt, Inc.
VP, Director of Internet Technology
http://www.webprojkt.com/

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 09:19:50 -0800 (PST)

> EVERYTHING it does in some log?  That way I can maybe see if netatalk is

You should be aware that on Redhat machines, there is a nightly cron job
which will delete all files in /tmp older than 240 hours (10 days).  It
leaves the directories behind, but removes the files.  If you want to
change this behavior, check out the shell script /etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch.

	Andy