Subject: Re: Files over 2Gb?

From: Dave Ritter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:32:50 -0700

this might help some...

but the last comment is a bit confusing, the problem might be application
specific ( the Finder is really just another application)

---

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n60562

---

TITLE

iMovie: Files Split At 1.9 GB When Capturing Clips
Article ID:
Created:
Modified:    60562
10/8/99
8/23/00
------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOPIC 

I'm capturing a single 15-minute clip in iMovie. After I finished the
capture, I noticed that the clip is split into multiple clips on the Shelf.
Why is this happening?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSSION 

The Mac OS has a file size limitation of 2 Gigabytes. Because DV clips
contain a lot of data, they can be very large files. The maximum length of
an individual DV movie clip is limited to approximately 9 minutes.

If you exceed this 2-Gigabyte limit by capturing a clip that is very long,
iMovie will split the clip, and continue capturing into a second clip.

Although Mac OS 9 provides support for file sizes larger than 2 Gigabytes,
iMovie does not currently support this feature.

----

> From: "Russell Kerrison" <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: "Russell Kerrison" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:34:52 -0700
> To: <[email-masked]>
> Bcc: "Dave Ritter" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Files over 2Gb?
> 
> 
> My apologies if this is an well-worn topic but we just met a minor problem
> where we cannot copy files greater than 2Gb to Netatalk volumes, the Mac
> throwing up a "-40" error. I assume this is a Mac OS problem, as we get the
> same error trying to copy to a Win2000 volume.
> 
> Is this a known issue with Mac OS that might be fixed some time?
> 
> Russell.

---

From: David Heayn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:31:53 -0800

It is my understanding that the 2 gig limit is more of a disk partitioning
problem, not a mac os one. If the disk is partitioned for Mac HFS then all
you get is 2 gigs to play with even if the disk is 100 gigs big. If you
reformat the drive making it an HFS+ disk there is practically no limit.
The catch is that if you want an HFS+ volume to be read by a pre-8.0 system
it's not going to happen, those machines don't knoe how to handle the data.

I had to do this when I got a 20 gig internal drive for DV work.

As far as reformating a netatalk drive for HFS+... well, I've never tried
it because I never had the need. Apple includes a utility called "drive
setup" which should be on your hard disk now.

P.S. I make no claim on how netatalk will handle this apparent file system
change up.  But the worse that could happen is you'd have to restart
netatalk. Happy hacking.
---
DAVE

---

From: "Russell Kerrison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 23:01:49 +1100

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the machine is a new G4 with OS 9.0.4.
The local drives are formatted as HFS+ and happily handle reasonably big
files - the biggest so far being 15Gb.

Is it simply the case that the Appleshare file system is a bit dated and,
like HFS, can't recognise files greater than 2Gb?

Given the sort of work we're doing, this restriction could be extremely
irritating...

Russell.

---

From: Paul Reilly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 12:06:39 +0000 (GMT)

> like HFS, can't recognise files greater than 2Gb?
I would have thought this is the same problem I had with linux.

>From my understanding of reaching this limit in linux, it
is not specific to the filesystem, but is in fact caused by the
data structures in the c programming routines which are used to
represent files in the filesystem. Up to recently, the c data
structures used for low level filesystem routines had a limit of 2 Gb.
For linux, I was told that I could update my kernel C funtions to handle
files larger than 2GB. 

The point is I think the reason this limit exists is due to 
old data structure sizes in c, not the actual filesystem.

Paul

---

From: Leland Wallace <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 10:56:43 -0800

> like HFS, can't recognise files greater than 2Gb?

You are partially correct. AFP versions before 3.0 use 32-bit numbers for 
file offsets and file sizes, limiting the file size to 2^31 bytes (the offsets are signed).
We are working on the AFP 3.0 protocol which adds calls to handle file
offsets/sizes of 64 bits (ie 2^63 bytes max size). 

Hope this helps
Leland
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leland Wallace                   Working in               AppleShare Engineering
[email-masked]     but not speaking for      Apple Computer Inc.
http://www2.inow.com/~randall
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: David Heayn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 13:44:37 -0800

>Given the sort of work we're doing, this restriction could be extremely

My point was that an HFS formatted disk will only be 2 gigs big if you have
a mac plus reading it or some super duper pre-release version of macOS11.

Up until recently there was a 2 gig limit on linux disks. That has been
gone at least since earlier this year. (I think the new maximum amount of
addressable memory is around 512GB.)

I installed mandrake 7.0 on a friends computer, he had a 6 gig internal and
a 20 gig "take-out" drive. I don't really follow kernel news that closely.

Right now, I don't have the oportunity to try reformating my mountable
netatalk partition in HFS+ format. If anyone on the list has that chance
please try it and share with us. Like I said, it's real easy. Mount remote
drive, format it with a version of Drive Setup that came with 8.0 (or
newer). Remount and see if you have more than 2GB available. Worse case
scenrio, your mac freezes, that "virtual partition" is ruined, and you have
to restart your mac, and trash all the data in the alloted directory under
linux.

As a workaround you could always create "X" amount of partitions depending
on the free space in your linux box. Final cut, or after effects don't mind
addressing more than one disk for overflow concerns.
---
DAVE

---

From: justine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 09:19:19 +1000

Hi Netatalk admins,

I'm just wondering if there are any plans for building support for indexing
into netatalk. We manage about 50 Mac networks with about 15 of those with
LINUX servers. Slow finds on the server from the Mac clients are our biggest
problema but besides that netatalk is bliss.

Justine