Subject: Newbie Help! - Appletalk Router

From: "Jamie McParland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 23:44:57 -0800

Heres what i got Redhat 6.1 2 ethernet cards. one set at 216.36.35.150 
(static ip connected to the DSL MODEM) the other set at 192.168.1.1 i am
masqueradeing the internal network behind the linux box.  I also have
netatalk set up and running.
Soon I'll have another machine set up the same in another location with a
static ip and a dsl connection.
Basically i want to set both machines up as appletalk routers. I want the
network in seattle to see the portland network and printers in their chooser
and vice versa.
I have read through the man files, and i am really confused on how to do
this. How does my machine in PDX know their is one in seattle? What settings
do i need to make this work? Will netatalk work for this? Do i need UAR
(unix appletalk router)? Please Help!!!

Thanks
Jamie
--
Jamie McParland
Apple Certified Technician
Apple Product Professional

[email-masked]

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 20:03:00 +0100

At 23:44 Uhr -0800 06.03.2000, Jamie McParland wrote:

>Basically i want to set both machines up as appletalk routers. I want the network in seattle to see the portland network and printers in their chooser and vice versa. 

How are the modems connected? Ethernet?
What Kind of Connection do you have? Doews it allow other protocols than IP?

>I have read through the man files, and i am really confused on how to do this. How does my machine in PDX know their is one in seattle? What settings do i need to make this work? Will netatalk work for this? Do i need UAR (unix appletalk router)? Please Help!!!

Give more details.

:wq! PoC

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 08:46:39 -0800 (PST)

> network in seattle to see the portland network and printers in their chooser

Unless the network between portland and seattle is setup to route
Appletalk packets, you are out of luck.  If these are both standard DSL
connections, then it won't be happening.  You would have to arrange a
private network between the two sites to pass appletalk packets or maybe
encapsulate appletalk packets in IP packets...  I don't know if there is
software available to do that though...

Scratch that, there is software!  There is a linux kernel module for this.
If you download the kernel source (or install the RedHat kernel-source
rpm), look at Documentation/networking/ipddp.txt from the root of the
kernel source directory.

If you don't really need to be able to see the servers in the chooser,
then you can connect through IP by clicking the "Server IP Address" button
in the chooser and typing in the server's IP address or DNS name.
Connecting over IP is generally faster as well.  Unfortunately, you can't
connect to an Appletalk printer over IP in the same way.  Most new macs
can create an LPD queue and print through the standard unix LPD service to
a server, which is probably your best bet to be able to print at the
remote location.

> (unix appletalk router)? Please Help!!!

I don't think UAR will be any different than netatalk.  You need some way
to get the Appletalk packets from portland to seattle, and that requires
that the in-between network route appletalk packets.

	Andy