Subject: Netatalk + kernel 2.4.x

From: Brice Ruth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 09:19:59 -0600

Greetings.

Just wanted to post a simple question: when will I be able to use the
latest netatalk with the 2.4.x kernels? (I'm on 2.4.0-test11 right now
...)  Some things in the new kernel have been backported to 2.2.x, but
many things haven't - I need those things, so I need to stay with 2.4.

Just wondering ... :)

--
Brice Ruth
WebProjkt, Inc.
VP, Director of Internet Technology
http://www.webprojkt.com/

---

From: REYNAUD Jean-Samuel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 16:39:05 +0100

> many things haven't - I need those things, so I need to stay with 2.4.
No problems for me with 2.4.0-test7. 

JS

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 11:16:30 -0500

YMMV <--- That somes it up. Some 2.4 test kernels work fine, and some
don't. I know test6 was "pretty decent" and by test8 or test9 Netatalk
dumped core like nuts... I don't blame Netatalk, I blame unstable
kernels. :)

-- 

 Matthew Keller
 WebMaster, Interim Network Manager & 
   Host Systems Analyst
 Distributed Computing/Telemedia
 Information Services Division
 State University of New York at Potsdam
 
 Website: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/
 PGP: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/crypto/
 Webcam:  http://webcam.mattwork.potsdam.edu:85/

---

From: Danny Sauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:25:59 -0600

> No problems for me with 2.4.0-test7. 

And I'm having no problems with 2.4.0-test11.

--Danny

---

From: Akos Szabo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:37:56 +0100 (CET)

> dumped core like nuts... I don't blame Netatalk, I blame unstable
I use the latest kernel /2.4.0-test11/, and the latest netatalk, from
sourceforg public download area.
And working nice! :)

-- Ciao:
      Fonya

	Computers are like airconditioners:
			They stop working properly if you open windows.

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 12:13:47 -0500

> sourceforg public download area.

I'll second that. I'm running a 2.4.0 test kernel with no problems
whatsoever.

jeff

---

From: Brice Ruth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:27:51 -0600

All right, I'll give it a go.  I just recall receiving the following response
the last time I posted a problem with 2.4.x:

--
       AppleTalk support in 2.4 is lacking currently. Try testing on a non-dev
kernel.

Brice Ruth wrote:
>
> Recently went to update my netatalk, downloaded 1.4.99-0.20001108 and
> compiled & installed it.  I'm running kernel 2.4-test11 w/ XFS on a dual
> i686.  Everything seemed to go fine at first, atalkd started, afpd
> started, papd started ... I was able to print via papd, I opened the
> Chooser & saw the server via ddp - all good.  I could select the server,
> login via DHX and see my shares, mount them just fine - navigate my
> folders, even open files from the server ... but when I try to COPY a
> file from the server to my desktop or any other folder ... the copy
> window reports that 16K of progress has occurred - no more progress is
> observed, clicking on 'stop' doesn't cancel the copy and eventually
> locks up the Mac forcing a hard reboot.  No errors of any kind appear to
> be logged anywhere that I can find them ... I've had to revert back to
> my older version of netatalk (thankfully I installed into a different
> directory) ... all works fine with the older version on the same kernel
> & configuration.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!
>
> --
> Brice Ruth

--

I'll give it another try, though.
-Brice