Subject: Changing password through the Chooser -- only DHX auth enabled

From: David <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:03:42 -0800

Is this possible to actually do or is the enable Change Password 
button on the Chooser just a tease?  Here is the line from my 
afpd.conf file for the server.

- -transall -uamlist uams_dhx.so -nosavepassword -setpassword

When I actually click Change Password and go through the motions it gives me:

"Your password cannot be changed.  Contact your system administrator 
or try again."

I'm not sure what is up here.  I know with randnum and rand2num you 
had to have a .passwd file in each users home dir - is that still the 
case.  I've of course tried and it doesn't seem to be.

Thanks so much for any assistance on this.  Hopefully it is something simple.

David.

---

From: Dick Visser <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:09:16 +0100 (CET)

> case.  I've of course tried and it doesn't seem to be.

Its because the passwords you choose were not good enough ;-)
Try something *really* hard to guess.
This is all because you have libcrack somewhere.

Think about that: when you have libcrack and you want to change your
passwd on the unix side, if its too easy (linux at least) tells you:
Incorrect passwd: ITS BASED ON A DICTIONARY WORD.

Netatalk only has one errormsg if passwd changing fails i guess.
At my mac it worked when I tried a *real* passwd instead of that easy to
guess one i had.
Be carefull if you already *have* a nice short easy password and you
change it via the chooser, you cannot change it back into something easy.
Unless you are the sysadmin yourself of course...

Bye

-- 

Dick Visser

    TIENHUIS
Macintosh <-> Linux
Jacob Catskade 10 hs
1052 BW Amsterdam
T (0031) 20 684 3731
M (0031) 62 269 8108
F (0031) 20 864 14 20
W http://www.tienhuis.nl
E [email-masked]