Subject: corrupt .appledouble-files ?

From: [email-masked] (Jørgen Binningsbø)
Date: 27 Apr 2000 13:36:14 +0200

hi!

i'm running the netatalk-1.4b2+asun-2.1.3-6 rpm on a intel redhat 6.1
machine.  some days ago i failed to copy some files from the server
down to a mac.

the mac gives a "-50 error", and syslog reports:
Apr 27 09:58:26 foo afpd[6793]: afp_openfork: ad_open: Input/output error

the files in question are all from 1997, and haven't been accessed in
quite a while.  the files were created by an older version of
netatalk, but that occured long before i got the responsability of the
server. 

i have scanned the archives of this lists, and yes:

- the user/me has user+group write access both toplevel
  .AppleDesktop-directory and recursivly down all .AppleDouble's to
  where the files in question are located.

the problem appears to be with the .appledouble files.  I can open an
EPS-file with ghostview on the server.  this file won't copy down
to the mac.  when i delete the corresponding entry in the .appledouble
directory, then i suddenly can copy the file to the mac, and it opens
ok with illustrator.

now, to make matters more complicating, the "-50 error" does not apply
to _all_ the files in the directories.   files which won't copy show
up on the mac as of "simple text"-type, while those that _will_ copy
have correct creator type.  thus, i think that upgrading netatalk was
not the cause of these errors, because then i would expect that all
the old files were corrupt.

i also tried to do adv1tov2 on various directories.  responds:
  adv1tov2 not built for v2 AppleDouble files. 

so i'm stuck here after days with troubleshooting, and i hope someone
can help me further, with these questions:

- is there a way to validate (and correct) the integrity of a file in
  the .appledouble directory? 

- is there some other thing i have overlooked ?

- if i fail to correct this problem, i think i will delete all the
  .appledouble files, hoping that nothing useful is stored in the
  resource fork.
  does anyone have experience on this for files of type: quarkXpress,
  stuffit-archives, tiff, jpeg and eps?

best regards, jørgen
-- 
jørgen binningsbø                              in steepness is safety
sivilarbeider i Under Dusken                         - w. c. slingsby    

jobb:   73 89 96 09 | 73 89 96 70 | 73 53 18 13    www.underdusken.no

privat:  73 53 05 16 | 73 92 19 33