Subject: Re: ADSP

From: "TJ Snider" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 21:26:27 -0800

Hi Taral,

I've been looking into it, and got the ADSP protocol partway up as a test
app, and have some understanding of where to hook it into the kernel, then
Apple introduced the AppleScript over IP which is what I was interested in
anyways... so I've switched my researches over to the IP variant.

Unfortunately it is my understanding that if you add just part of the
protocol family into the kernel it becomes a bit strange when you want to
add the addressing resolution portion, which currently resides in NetAtalk,
so you would still have to be running NetAtalk to handle the NBP stuff which
is currently in atalkd.

What do you need ADSP for?

TJ
----------
>From: Taral <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: ADSP
>Date: Thu, Jan 13, 2000, 4:32 PM
>

>Okay, so maybe this is a FAQ, but it isn't listed in any of them. Is
>anyone working on ADSP support for netatalk/linux kernel?
>
>Taral
>
>P.S. I don't know if anyone noticed, but the machine that sends out mail
>for this list is an open relay listed in ORBS.
>

---

From: Taral <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 23:38:00 -0800

Well, I wanted AppleScript over ADSP native so that I didn't have to
open the IP security hole (yes, non-firewalled machines running Program
Linking over IP are potentially vulnerable...)

I was actually wondering where Apple had stashed all of the protocol
specs too... They have tons of documentation on the OT APIs and almost
none on the protocols themselves.

Taral

P.S. If anyone wants the ugly patch that makes ethernet phase 2
appletalk work with tcpdump, ask me. :)

---

From: Rob Newberry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 17:30:17 -0500 (EST)

All of the documentation on the protocols is in Inside AppleTalk, freely
available on Apple's web site in PDF form.

http://developer.apple.com/macos/opentransport/docs/dev/Inside_AppleTalk.pdf