Subject: Re: netatalk in production environments....(RFC)

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 22:55:14 -0700

> If Adrian Sun is really out of the picture, maybe we should grab the
> latest code and start a site on SourceForge for a more collaborative
> development environment...  That would allow the rest of the community to
> contribute code and documentation without having to funnel it through
> Adrian.

I'd be in favor of this. A few weeks ago I registered netatalk.com in 
hopes of centralizing some of this very fragmented information and 
development, but a SourceForge approach would be better.

There's a lot left to do on Netatalk. Not only DIDs, but also indexed 
finds (whatever you call that), management tools, etc. If we setup a 
SourceForge site and announce it on all the news sites (Linuxtoday, 
Macintouch, MacNN, MacResource, etc.) maybe we could find enough interest 
to get development going again.

Any volunteers to set it up on SourceForge?

Steve Freitas

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 00:04:50 -0700

> Any volunteers to set it up on SourceForge?

Maybe umich could assist in that endeavor?

Harry

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 11:44:38 -0400

> From:    Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
> To:      Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>

> Maybe umich could assist in that endeavor?

I'm fine with that.  We're in discussions now with SuSE, perhaps to
have them host and/or provide release engineering.  If that doesn't
work out, SourceForge is certainly an option.

:wes

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:26:27 -0700 (PDT)

> work out, SourceForge is certainly an option.

Not to be too picky, but will they be amenable to user-contributed
patches, documentation, etc?  Any details of the arrangement you can
provide would allow the netatalk community to provide feedback and ensure
we all get what we need.

Thanks,
	Andy

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 16:11:09 -0400

> From:    andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> provide would allow the netatalk community to provide feedback and ensure

I'll pass on what I get.  If you have input, I can pass that on as
well.  My primary interest is in seeing netatalk not languish while at
the same time not personally serving as the gateway for changes or the
release engineer.  Satisfying the interests of the netatalk community
is clearly critical to achieving the "not languish" goal.

:wes

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 08:25:59 +0200

At 11:44 Uhr -0400 01.06.2000, [email-masked] wrote:

>have them host and/or provide release engineering.

SuSE? Interesting. Many friends had to write many times before they managed to compile asun 2.1.3 this way that shadow passswords will works as expected (actually no one could log in). I guess they have Macs yet ;-)

:wq! PoC

---

From: "thomas.riewe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 19:25:25 +0200 (CEST)

> 
> SuSE? Interesting. Many friends had to write many times before they managed 
> to compile asun 2.1.3 this way that shadow passswords will works as
> expected (actually no one could log in).

That's what I found curios reading on this list ...

> I guess they have Macs yet ;-)
> :wq! PoC

It must have to do whith their attempt to distribute L on PowerPC :)

scnr,
thomas (R)