Subject: Damn damn damn - AppleVolumes variable logic

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 19:46:55 -0400

Let me guess, you can't use the AppleVolumes.default variables in the
"allow" command (as presented below)? I'm using 1.4b2-pre2.1.4-39 ...
Are there any versions that DO allow this functionality at this point
(and, preferably, are fairly stable)?

/home/faculty1/$u/ "Your Volume" allow:$u

-- 

 Matthew Keller
 WebMaster & Lead Programmer/Analyst
 Distributed Computing/Telemedia
 Information Services Division
 State University of New York at Potsdam
 
 Website: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/
 PGP: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/crypto/
 Webcam:  http://webcam.mattwork.potsdam.edu:85/

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:51:31 -0700

well that would be fairly simple to stick in. however, why don't you
just use permissions to do that?

-a

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 19:59:06 -0400

> just use permissions to do that?

	Hmmmmm... Heh... *blush* Good idea. :) Honestly, I just took my old
"2.1.3" config file that had 4000 /home/faculty1/<username/ "Your
Volume" allow=<username> entries, and just substituted $u for <username>
on one entry, and trashed the other 3999. :) I have been slapped
accordingly.
-- 

 Matthew Keller

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:10:09 -0700 (PDT)

> /home/faculty1/$u/ "Your Volume" allow:$u

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't this redundant?  "Your Volume" will
always point to the home directory of the person who logged in, so what is
the point of adding the allow restriction?

	Andy