Subject: Cable and settings (tall letter)

From: "Veres Imre" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:40:09 +0100

Hello, List. :)

I think I'm green in networking, and have a fundamental problem: Is that
works if I connected a Mac Powerbook and a Linux server with crosslink utp
cable? Or may I have to buy other hardware elements?
 It must connected only one Powerbook, not subnetwork of Apples. The linux
box has 3 network cards, and I'd like to connect to eth2.
I think it must work, but not sure.

RedHat 6.1, kernel 2.2.10, netatalk 1.4b2 with asun 2.1.3  (what a heck is
asun? :)

I read netatalk docs, and put this to atalkd.conf:

eth2 -router -net 1000 -addr 1000.1 -zone "apple"

I've set the eth2 as the following:

network: 192.168.5.0
host: 192.168.5.1
broadcast: 192.168.5.255
netmask: 255.255.255.0

Route is OK, if I connect another machine with other OS. But I don't know
what to set in the Mac! (Sorry it's not a netatalk problem but I don't know
another mailing list...)

in the TCP/IP networking I've set the same netmask and add 192.168.5.2 to ip
address. Then I went to appletalk menu, and select Ethernet card. Then I got
the message 'No zones found'.

I have a look at /var/log/messages:

 atalkd: as_timer multiple interfaces, no seed
 atalkd: as_timer can't configure eth0
 atalkd: as_timer waiting for router
 atalkd: ready 0/0/0
 afpd: Can't get register euro26:AFPServer@*
 afpd: ASIP started on 194.143.245.68:548(0) (1.4b2+ausn2.1.3)

But what did it want to eth0????? I dunno.
Of course, it do not work yet.

Is there a program with the same function as route or ping?

Thanks,

Imre Veres

---

From: anthony <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:54:25 -0500

Veres Imre wrote:
> (what a heck is

the sun is a mass of incandescent gas, around which revolves nine
planets... [ducks]

---

From: Doug Mandell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:19:17 -0800

or more accurately:

The sun is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace where 
hydrogen is turned into helium at a temperature of millions of 
degrees.  (They Might be Giants)

---

From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 13:03:27 -0500 (EST)

From: "Veres Imre" <[email-masked]>
   Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:40:09 +0100

   Hello, List. :)

A crossover cable works just fine.

['Nuff said already.]

With only one Appletalk interface, I think you don't want "-router".
That might be your problem.

   network: 192.168.5.0
   host: 192.168.5.1
   broadcast: 192.168.5.255
   netmask: 255.255.255.0

I'm not a Mac wizard, but I think that should be sufficient.

Methinks that is due to the unwanted "-router" keyword . . .

   Thanks,

   Imre Veres

ping and traceroute to 192.168.5.2 from the Linux machine should work
just fine.  traceroute won't tell you anything you don't already know,
but ping will tell you whether or not the basic IP configuration works.
I don't know of any Mac equivalents (not being a Mac wizard), but a
crossover cable doesn't require very sophisticated debugging tools -- if
it works in one direction, it certainly oughta work the other way.

					-- Bob Rogers

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:07:50 -0800

> the sun is a mass of incandescent gas, around which revolves nine

ROTFLOL!

Sorry, but I hold *YOU* responsible for the spray of orange juice on my
monitor when I read this.

Harry