Subject: Re: Codepages not working!!

From: Frank Joerdens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 13:28:34 +0100

Christer Lindgren wrote:
> 
> Where can I find that RPM?
> How do I install it?
> 
> What is your expirens of netatalk is everything else working? I have seen
> some reports about files disappearing, problems with filelocking, do you
> have any problems with this?

SuSE rpms are at ftp.suse.com. You'll have to compile it yourself for your OS and probably
look at the Makefile and tune RedHat specific stuff. The version is
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 and I haven't actually looked whether the codepage support is not
in that version anyway, or if it's in one of the patches that are included with that rpm.
You might try and find a RedHat rpm for that version first, before you try and compile the
SuSE rpm for RedHat, if you don't know how to do that. 

I did have problems with disappearing files but I still think this is flaky hardware (the
complete ext2 filesystem on the disk was corrupted) and has nothing to do with netatalk
since it only affects a couple of SCSI disks that I put into the box recently, the 2 IDE
disks have been stable for about 6 months.

File locking across samba/netatalk is an unresolved issue but I haven't seen any problems
so far. I would imagine it is a problem if you are using some cross-plattform database
program such as filemaker and both a Mac user and a Windows user are accessing and
modifying the same address book database. I do have a couple of those here and keep
meaning to tell them about it . . . a decent backup implementation is essential here as it
is always anyway.

The file locking issue in particular makes me think sometimes I should have used NT,
although I hate administrating that.

- Frank