Subject: Setting up netatalk

From: John Garrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 14:19:08 -0500

Well, I don't know if I will get the resonses to this as I didn't get a
confirmation when I joined the list, but I'll ask anyway ;-)

OK, My sister just bought an iMac. I have a Linux box. I am totally
clueless when it comes to setting up a network, but I as per the website
I went to's instructions I put a made up IP address for the Linux box
and the iMac in /etc/hosts such as this:

192.168.1.1 tux   tux.ghouse
192.168.1.2 apple apple.ghouse

Then in /etc/networks I put:

192.168.1.0 ghouse

I used linuxconf to enable my ethernet card. I can ping tux, but I
cannot ping apple and the two computers won't see each other. My linux
box keeps saying that the eth0 transmit timed out and keeps switching
back and forth between 10baset and 100baset.

I have the netatalk installed, and the iMac is set to AppleTalk with
192.168.1.2 as it's IP address and 192.168.1.0 as the IP address of the
router and of the nameserver. However whenever I try to use chooser to
connect to 192.168.1.0 it won't find it.

Is there a problem in my setup on one of the boxes? or does netatalk
work over some other IP address? Or maybe my ethernet card or cable is
just bad? I tried to test my ethernet card under Windows, but haven't
the foggiest clue how to do such a thing under Windows...stupid point
and click interfaces...

Anyhow any help would be appreciated as I really need to get the two
networked so I can setup a proxy server and share the internet
connection.