Subject: Re: Can't Empty Trash

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:53:05 -0800 (PST)

The dropkludge fix simply changes the behavior of afpd so that files
written to a directory inherit its uid/gid owners and write permission
settings.  It solves the problem I had before with files getting dropped
into dropboxes that the owner of the dropbox can't read.

But I'm not quite sure whether deleting a file acts as a
copy/move to the Network Trash folder or whether it's an entirely
different procedure altogether.  

Do a "ls -al" on your Network Trash folder.  If the owners/write
permissions are different than those of ".", let me know and I'll
spend next week fixing it.  If dropkludge is working properly, the files
may have read permissions that the directory doesn't.  afpd and/or MacOS 
assumes that it can read files even when the user logged in can't.  

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Michal 'CeFeK' Nazarewicz wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Marc J. Miller wrote:
> 
> > I can think of some permission schemes on the Network Trash Folder that
> > might cause problems if you have dropkludge enabled.  Is anyone using that?
> 
> I am using dropkludge fix... what's this? I've enabled this, hoping that
> this will solve my (dealt with) problems.
> 
> -- 
> Michal 'CeFeK' Nazarewicz
> Linux Registered User 164007
> 
> 

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:22:52 -0500

> permissions are different than those of ".", let me know and I'll

Can't you simply make it so that we have a new option which won't have a
Trash folder at all.  If user has delete permission on file, it gets delete
right the way?

Best,
Alex

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:46:55 -0800 (PST)

Yep.  :)  That's how my system is set up.  Only uid 0 can store stuff in
the Network Trash folder.  All others are asked to delete the file
immediately.  I think Network Trash has to exist in some form or fashion
for files to delete properly, though.

(it still means that I have to fix it in case people want to use it)