Subject: afpd pre-asun2.1.4-37b segfaults immediately

From: John Seifarth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:38:39 +0100

background:
I've been running netatalk for about 4 years now, in its various
incarnations. With version 1.4b2+asun2.1.3, I've been getting "Mac OS error
-54" when trying to save Web pages with PageSpinner. Therefore, I've been
trying to upgrade to 2.1.4 for about 6 months of pre-releases. I've been
getting close...but no cigar.

the problem:
When I start afpd, it immediately dies with a Segmentation fault error.
atalkd loads OK, nbprgstr registers the name OK (I see the workstation and
netatalk with a nbplkp), the net is within range, the address is unique to
that server, etc. But afpd segfaults every time.

I'm stuck here, people.

the system:
Started existence as Slackware 4.0. Its based on libc5 and uses gcc
2.7.2.3. As you probably (don't) know, Slackware 4.0 has run-time support
for glibc, as version 2.07. But normally, it compiles against
libc.so.5.4.46.

Compilation options:
I used -DNO_STRUCT_TM_GMTOFF to get megatron to compile, and tried
-DTRY_64BITODD_T and even -DNO_CRYPTLIB, but neither of the latter fix the
problem.

Strace on afpd shows it loading (successfully) ld.so.cache, ld.so.preload,
libnsl.so.1 (although to get netatalk to compile, I had to make a symlink
from /lib/libnsl-2.0.7 to /usr/lib/libnsl.so), then libdl.so.1, libc.so.5,
libc.so.6, and finally ld-linux.so.2. I then see it mprotecting, calling
geteuid, getuid, getgid, getegid, and getpid.

Then strace shows the verdict, sending chills up my spine:
---  SIGSEGV (segmentation fault)

And that's all, folks!

I'm quite C-incompetent (I can muck up a Makefile to fix wayward include or
library), and have NO CLUE where to go from here.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

John

__________________________________________________________________
John Seifarth                               http://www.waw.be/waw/
Words & Wires SPRL                                     [email-masked]
Computer Consulting & Language Services   Voice: (+) 32-2-660-3943
1160 Brussels, Belgium                      Fax: (+) 32-2-675-3922