Subject: Unfamiliar with netatalk printing...can it do this?

From: Kevin White <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 01:18:14 -0400

We're looking at buying a nice HP 1220C color inkjet.  There's supposed to 
be a 1220C/PS PostScript version, but I can't find it anywhere, so it looks 
like we're getting PCL.  There are Mac drivers, even for the PCL.  We're 
considering a JetDirect 300X, so it can be TCP/IPed in to the network.

Can I set up papd on Linux to spool to a remote TCP/IP printer?  If the Mac 
clients have the HP printing software, will this work?  Where does a .ppd 
file come in to play here (there are references to them in papd.conf...do I 
need one?)

Thanks...

Kevin

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 18:57:35 +0200

At 1:18 Uhr -0400 04.05.2000, Kevin White wrote:

>Can I set up papd on Linux to spool to a remote TCP/IP printer?

Yes.

>If the Mac clients have the HP printing software, will this work?

I don't know any Mac driver with PAP support which generates PCL (only local). Which doesn't mean that it's not existing, tough.

> Where does a .ppd  file come in to play here (there are references to them in papd.conf...do I need one?)

PPD means PostScript Printer Definition.
You have no PS Printer.
Guess what to do :-)

:wq! PoC

---

From: Kevin White <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 100 13:46:41 -0400 (EDT)

> I don't know any Mac driver with PAP support which generates PCL (only local). Which doesn't mean that it's not existing, tough.

Which means my problem is back to the printer: there's no way to print
to a non-local non-PS printer on a Mac, from what you know, and unless
HP has some fantastic new drivers for this 1220C, it won't
work...correct?

Can I advertise a printer as a PS printer from papd and filter it to
PCL with Ghostscript?

Kevin

---

From: "Chad S. Lauritsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 16:12:05 -0500

> Can I advertise a printer as a PS printer from papd and filter it to

yes, you should be able to send postscript from the mac to the unix
machine via PAP. then the unix machine could convert your postscript to
PCL, and forward it on to the printer using lpr. in fact, i would
recommend using the spooling capabilities of the unix machine as opposed
to just having many clients print directly to the print server if it
were possible. it gives administrative control over the print queue, and
provides a central place for spooling.

you should make sure that you have a ghostscript filter/module that will
work with the printer that you have, though. however, if your mac pcl
drivers include support for an appletalk-connected printer, it seems
that you should be able to generate the desired pcl code on the mac, and
forward it to the unix machine via appletalk's pap, and then lpr could
pass that PCL to the printer without needing a filter. depends on the
mac driver, i think. correct me if I'm wrong, anybody.

-- 
* Chad S. Lauritsen, Systems Administrator                       *
* Perfection Learning Corporation                                *
* 1000 North Second Avenue, Logan, IA 51546 712.644.2831 x 223   *
"Out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks." --Jesus

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 07:57:09 +0200

Yes.

>Can I advertise a printer as a PS printer from papd and filter it to

This is what most people do.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 08:11:06 +0200

At 16:12 Uhr -0500 04.05.2000, Chad S. Lauritsen wrote:

>however, if your mac pcl
>drivers include support for an appletalk-connected printer

It is not and this was the source of this thread :-)

:wq! PoC