Subject: Re: atalkd.conf get rewritten by netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.4-39_test

From: "Tom Watson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:52:14 -0800

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:25:20 -0400 (EDT), [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> 
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Stephen Welker wrote:
> 
> 
> > I gather by your response that only the "seeder" is the only node that is
> > permitted to set a zone name?
> 
> Yes.
> 

Not necessarly.  As long as ALL the routers that are seeds on a given
"wire" seed the SAME information, everything will work OK.  In fact,
this is a recommended practice.  That way if power drops and a router
needs to find its network numbers, it doesn't have to look for the seed
information, it already has it.  It can be a problem when there is no
seed router (one with network information) available, then the non-seed
routers pick some random range and attempt to go from there.  Then when
the seed router comes back up, the @#$% hits the fan.  I've even seen
instances when an NT box (yuck) always wanted to seed network 100 as
"Default Zone", and we couldn't get rid of it.  It persisted in the
routine tables of other boxes, which kept propogating the (bad) zone
information.

Advice:  Once you have the routes setup, change the configuration file
to seed the information (always).  That way it won't pick some default
range.
-- 
Tom Watson         Generic short signature
[email-masked]     (I'm at home now)