Subject: [netatalk] ghostscript or mac issue?

From: Brian Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 10:59:30 -0600

Greetings all, 

I recently hooked up my Personal Laserwriter NT to my linux box and serve it
to my powerbook (via netatalk) and windows machine (via smb).

Next, I attacked my Epson Stylus Color 740.  I hooked it up via the parallel
port, set up ghostscript, and now serve it to my mac.  I used the Apple
Color Laserwriter PPD that I modified to have ghostscript fonts, etc.
When I print from illustrator on the mac, the printer output is exceptional
compared to the normal Epson mac driver (non-postscript).

My problem is this: there is a problem with color matching and images when I
print via postscript to the linux ghostscript server which then translates
to the epson language.  If I print to a postscript file, load it onto the
linux box and view it with ghostscript, it looks very poor (so, the printer
is printing exactly what it gets).

Is this a problem people have come across (color matching and strange
dithering lines through high resolution images)?  If so, is it a problem
with my PPD or is it a problem endemic to ghostscript?

Right now, I can have both the parallel port hooked to the PC and the USB
hooked to the mac and when I print from the mac, merely select the route to
take; however, I'd prefer to have it all solely through the pc if possible.

Thanks,
Brian