Subject: Very strange password problem

From: Paul Tweedy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 11:01:14 +0100

Hi all,

On the face of it, I seem to be having the same problem as lots of newbies;
Everything has compiled, all the daemons running great, but can only log in
as guest and not as a user. However, I've checked that /etc/shells is
correct (all users are using bash and the file is reflecting this), shadow
passwords are turned on and I edited /etc/afpd/Makefile to reflect this,
everything compiled ok, all the AppleVolumes files are as default (I think!)
yet I still can't log in as anything but root.

One oddity I noticed was that the afpd Makefile had -DSHADOW , not
-DSHADOWPW as an option in CFLAGS . I tried compiling with both options but
nothing changed. 

I'm running Redhat 6.1, kernel 2.2.12-20 . the netatalk rpm I'm using is the
one from thehamptons.com, with shadow passwords.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul

-- 
Paul Tweedy
Technical Developer
5emedia Limited

Bedford Heights - Manton Lane - Bedford - MK40 7PA

  Tel: 01234 402500
  Fax: 01234 244541

Email : [email-masked]
WWW : http://www.5emedia.net
_______________________________________________________
internet sites - ecommerce - screensavers - multimedia

---

From: "Lancaster, David Matthew" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 08:57:11 -0300 (ADT)

Any messages in /var/log/messages?
It's really hard to know what's happening without error messages from
afpd.

David Lancaster                       (506) 454-2167
  690 Gregg Ct.                       Upper Apartment
  Fredericton, NB  Canada             E3B 4H5
  [email-masked]       "Don't anthropomorphize computers, they hate that."

---

From: Paul Tweedy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 13:19:07 +0100

> It's really hard to know what's happening without error messages from

Nothing apart from 

atalk.init: aftp shutdown succeeded

Certainly nothing untoward about shells etc....

Help! :(

Paul

---

From: Paul Tweedy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 13:27:14 +0100

Actually, what I have just noticed is that PAM doesn't seem to be being
included when I compile Netatalk.. what should I be looking out for? Should
have I amended the Makefile in /sys/linux with -DUSE_PAM and -lpamd -ldl ?
Where should these be placed? Sorry, bit of a newbie to this.. :)

Paul
-- 
Paul Tweedy
Technical Developer
5emedia Limited

  Tel: 01234 402500
  Fax: 01234 244541

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 06:57:23 -0700 (PDT)

> Where should these be placed? Sorry, bit of a newbie to this.. :)

Edit the top-level Makefile and uncomment the PAMDIR setting...

	Andy

---

From: Paul Tweedy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 15:01:05 +0100

> Edit the top-level Makefile and uncomment the PAMDIR setting...

Already done that. As I said, I've followed the install to the letter on my
set up - but still user logins aren't working :(

Paul

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 07:07:27 -0700 (PDT)

> set up - but still user logins aren't working :(

What version of netatalk are you using?  What do you see in your syslog
files when a user tries to login?

	Andy

---

From: Paul Tweedy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 15:17:53 +0100

> files when a user tries to login?

Using 1.42b - syslog was fine - However, I've just deleted the whole thing,
recompiled and now it works :) :) :) :) No idea what was going wrong, and
now I don't particularly care !

Thanks for the help anyway!

Paul 

--
Paul Tweedy
Technical Developer
5emedia Limited

  Tel: 01234 402500
  Fax: 01234 244541

DISCLAIMER 
The opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily the opinion of
5emedia Limited. The content of this e-mail contains proprietary
information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is
for the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error
has misdirected this email, please notify the author by replying to this
email and informing them of this matter as soon as possible. If you are
not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy,
print or rely in any way on the information in this email. In addition,
you must erase all of the information contained in this email
immediately after notifying the author.