Subject: Unable to start atalkd. No list in Chooser

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:13:41 +0800

I have problem starting up atalkd for some reason. Hence I have the usual
problem of server name not appearing on the Mac Chooser but able to connect
using only the TCP.
I know it's atalkd startup problem but don't know how to resolve it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Below are the settings and syslog.

Thanks.
Steve

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Netatalk version: 1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6
Linux: RH6.2 Kernel: 2.2.14-6.1.1
Mac OS : 9.x

------------------------------------------------------------------
sysLog shows :

Nov 14 18:20:59 ealinux01 kernel: NET4: AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0
Nov 14 18:20:59 ealinux01 atalkd[595]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Nov 14 18:20:59 ealinux01 atalkd[595]: bind 0.0:1: Address already in use
Nov 14 18:20:59 ealinux01 atalkd: AppleTalk not up!
Nov 14 18:20:59 ealinux01 atalkd:  Child exited with 1.
Nov 14 18:20:59 ealinux01 atalk: atalkd startup failed
Nov 14 18:20:59 ealinux01 papd[606]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Nov 14 18:20:59 ealinux01 atalk: papd startup succeeded
Nov 14 18:20:59 ealinux01 atalk: afpd startup succeeded
Nov 14 18:21:00 ealinux01 afpd[615]: main: atp_open: Cannot assign
requested address
Nov 14 18:21:00 ealinux01 afpd[615]: ASIP started on 192.168.2.196:548(1)
(1.4b2
+asun2.1.3)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

lsmod reveals:

Module                  Size  Used by
appletalk              17632   0  (autoclean)
autofs                  9156   1  (autoclean)
lockd                  32040   1  (autoclean)
sunrpc                 52964   1  (autoclean) [lockd]
3c59x                  19268   1  (autoclean)
agpgart                17852   2

----------------------------------------------
atalkd.conf shows:

eth0

-----------------------------------------------
afpd.conf shows:

"MyMacWorld" -tcp -ddp -nocleartxt -loginmesg "Welcome Alien..."

------------------------------------------------
AppleVolumes.default shows:

~       "Home Directory"
/usr/eamy-share/MacShare "myMacVolume"
#
# type / creator mappings
.txt    TEXT    MSWD

----------------------------------------------------
/etc/conf.modules contains:
alias net-pf-5 appletalk

----------------------------------------------------

---

From: Milivoj Ivkovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:25:49 +0100

>problem of server name not appearing on the Mac Chooser but able to connect

If I remember correctly, I had this problem when I was using several 
aliased IP addresses on the same card on the server. Had to remove all 
aliases and use only 1 IP on the eth0 card. To be honest, I know I had this 
problem and I had to apply this solution to some problem, but I'm not sure 
this solution was for this particular problem.

---

From: Crystal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:52:54 -0600

> Nov 14 18:21:00 ealinux01 afpd[615]: ASIP started on 192.168.2.196:548(1)

If you run ifconfig, what does your AppleTalk network address say?

According to your logs, either address 0.0 is in use by another machine on
the network or the eth0 interface still thinks it has atalk running on it -
with or without the daemon.
I am not using the later versions, but the only way I know to clear that is
to down-up the eth0 interface and then restart atalkd.

Here's what my eth interface looks like with  atalk running.

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:A9:8E:09
          inet addr:172.16.16.253  Bcast:172.16.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0
          EtherTalk Phase 2 addr:100/1
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:48120353 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:96362541 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xdc80

Hope that helps.

-- 
Crystal Morillo
[email-masked]

The Kinkaid School - www.kinkaid.org

---

From: Nigel Pegram <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:16:55 +1100

I had problems with the server not appearing in the chooser. For me it was related to the ethernet card.

I turned on promsic mode, and it worked! (Card is an Intel ethernet express.)

HTH
Nigel.

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:50:38 +1100

Any one else playing with this. I seem to have some problems. While I
can connect and login, see all the files and icons, all the files are 0k
in lenght.
 The server is working fine for 'classic' clients, so what ever is wrong
is somthing in the way the OSX AFP client interacts with NetATalk.
 The OSX machine also connects to our ASIP 6.2 server and CAN see files
properly. (I would expect that Apple tested that one... :-)

-- 
Matthew Geier			[email-masked]
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713
Sydney University

---

From: Segfault <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 03:15:35 -0800

Hi,

I've also played around with using Netatalk (netatalk-asun-2.1.3nb4 on
NetBSD i386) to serve Mac OS X.

I don't think Mac OS X likes it at all. I've heard issues like yours,
where upon login, you can see all the files, but they are zero length.
But I don't recall any conclusive answers to these problems. :-(

It seems to me, that this is a problem with directory and how they are
read on MOSX Finder from Netatalk. There are some directories in which
all files are zero length, and other directories whose files are non-zero
length.

Nonetheless, I cannot seem to open files directly from them (zero-length
or not). I can copy them to my directories the finder and then open them
without problem. However, attempts to copy them directly through the
terminal window, seems crash the system to a grinding halt (or perhaps
the GUI)

I wonder whether this is a problem with caching. The exact same
directories are readable/unreadable each time the share is mounted, hence
MOSX may have cached, which directories are readable and which are not--
even renaming the directory, the renamed directory is still readable/
unreadable as before.

Any one else has any clues?

Later,

Lucas.

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:44:34 -0500

> NetBSD i386) to serve Mac OS X.

Wonder if we can just take AppleShare daemon out of Darwin ;P

Alex