Subject: install problems: netatalk-1.5pre3-1mdk on SuSE 7.0

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 21:10:14 +0100

Can't get netatalk-1.5pre3-1mdk.i586.rpm installed onto my SuSE 7.0
system. Previous compiled betas from Sourceforge/JeffB installed flawless.

Symptoms are:

-when installing with SuSE config, I get an error message "Can't get PREIN
for /(path_to_rpm/netatalk-1.5pre3-1mdk.i586.rpm".

-when installing with kpackage, I get an error message about unresolved
dependencies -- tcp_wrappers needed. I'm running inetd/tcpd, so what might
be wrong?

Any help appreciated,
-Thomas

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers

---

From: Uncle Meat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 00:45:36 -0600 (CST)

> dependencies -- tcp_wrappers needed. I'm running inetd/tcpd, so what

Just a wild guess here, but are you sure the mandrake rpms will work with
suse?

It could well be that the install instructions are different. I'm not all
that familiar with the suse setup and have no idea which versions do or
do not work together.

-- 
/etc/passwd is full -- go away!

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 14:18:16 +0100

> that familiar with the suse setup and have no idea which versions do or

As said, previous mandrake rpms of netatalk installed quite fine on
SuSE 7.0. All I had to do was to adjust the atalk startup script within
/sbin/init.d/ and create a couple of symlinks in the appropriate run level
directories to adjust to the sysV startup scheme.

To clarify my request, when the packet manager presents me with the
"tcp_wrappers needed" message, what files is it actually looking for?

And, what does "Can't get PREIN" mean? -- In the past I could install
without any problem using SuSE config, that's why I (being no Linux expert
at all) guess there is either something wrong with the rpm or something
broken at my system.

TIA for any help,
-Thomas

---

From: jeff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 09:26:52 -0500

> directories to adjust to the sysV startup scheme.

The tree is in /sbin/init.d instead of /etc/rc.d/init.d ? I'll add that
as a configure option for SuSE in the autoconf system if I get the
chance.

> "tcp_wrappers needed" message, what files is it actually looking for?

/usr/sbin/tcpd is the most important of them. It also looks for the
/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files.

> at all) guess there is either something wrong with the rpm or something

No idea. I have been meaning to set up a few boxes with different
distributions so that I could put together some more diverse packaging,
but I haven't really had the chance.

Thanks,
jeff

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 01:45:50 +0100

> as a configure option for SuSE in the autoconf system if I get the

Yes, I have re-checked, it is in /sbin/init.d -- probably right where it
belongs (on a side note, SuSE 7.0 passed sysV compatibility tests with
excellent results recently, I don't remember the exact numbers -- something
like 245 out of 248 tests passed)

But I believe you don't need to care about the location of the tree,
there is a symlink /etc/rc.d pointing to /sbin/init.d installed with
every SuSE 7.0 distro

> /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files.

All three files are available at my system in the right places. Is there
any change in regards to tcp_wrappers from the 1108 to the pre3 distro?

> but I haven't really had the chance.

Remember, mandrake rpms of netatalk used to install fine for me in the
past -- besides the startup script which I'm sending to you off-list for
informational purposes (the original script from SuSE is copyrighted work
and I don't know if I'm allowed to make the altered script available to
public)

At this moment I fear there's a problem with the packet manager database
at my system -- I'll look into the problem next days and report back.

Thanks for your interest,
-Thomas

---

From: Danny Sauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 10:17:37 -0600

> there is a symlink /etc/rc.d pointing to /sbin/init.d installed with

That link's been there since I started using SuSE at version 5.2, so there's
probably no reason to worry about compatability with older versions, either.

--Danny