Subject: netatalk performance issues

From: Mark Sandrock <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 17:32:28 -0500

We are running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on an E450 w/ Solaris 2.6.

While investigating user complaints re slow performance of a large
filesystem via netatalk, I noticed that simply scrolling down the
list of files, causes a large number of packets to be generated by
netatalk. Looking at perfmeter, cpu, disk, and paging activity seems
low, but packets, interrupts, and context switches jumps up high.

Is there any way to reconfigure netatalk to make it more efficient?

It is so slow as to be almost unuseable for this filesystem--which
admittedly does contain a large number of files and directories.

Thanks for any advice.
Mark Sandrock

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 08:06:45 +0200

>Is there any way to reconfigure netatalk to make it more efficient?

This is no issue of netatalk I think.
Switch your view options to show only the smallest possible icons. The Finder uses then generic ones and won't transfer icon by icon from the server from its desktop database (or picture previews).
I cannot believe that an E450 is THAT slow.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Mark Sandrock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:00:58 -0500

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 08:06:45AM +0200, Patrik Schindler wrote:
> Switch your view options to show only the smallest possible icons.
> The Finder uses then generic ones and won't transfer icon by icon
> from the server from its desktop database (or picture previews).

Thank you. That is quite a simple fix to an annoying problem.

And, no, an E450 is not a slow machine!

Mark

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 02:08:33 +0200

>Thank you. That is quite a simple fix to an annoying problem.

Test it, it's only a thinkabout from me. If it won't work, you are welcome to ask for further tips here :-)

>And, no, an E450 is not a slow machine!

I bet you'd reply this :-)

:wq! PoC

---

From: Mark Sandrock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 08:54:25 -0500

On Sat, Apr 29, 2000 at 02:08:33AM +0200, Patrik Schindler wrote:
> Test it, it's only a thinkabout from me. If it won't work,
> you are welcome to ask for further tips here :-)

I did test it, and more importantly, our users tested it.

> I bet you'd reply this :-)

I've been trolled. :)

Thanks again,
Mark