Subject: Netatalk support in Samba.

From: Ralph Zorll <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 12:57:16 +0200

Hello, 

many of you seem to use Netatalk together with Samba on the same server. So
perhaps you are familiar with the following:

Before compiling the samba 2.0.x sources, it is possible to configure the
package with the option "--with-netatalk", which seems to activate
experimental Netatalk support in Samba. Unfortunately I couldn't find any
usefull information in the Samba documentation, related newsgroups etc. on
what this support is supposed to do.

In the sources of Samba, all I found was one file called "netatalk.c"
containing several functions whose purpose seems to be the management of the
resource fork, that  means when Apple files in Samba shares are changed by
Windows clients  Samba automatically takes care of the resource fork. As I
intend to offer shares on a Linux server to Windows clients as well as Apple
clients, for me this would be a usefull feature. But I couldn't find any
other files in the Samba source tree, where those  functions are called.
Though my C knowledge is pretty limited, I got the impression, that even if I
get those functions compiled, they are never used by Samba.

Do you know how the experimental Netatalk support in Samba is supposed to work,
wether it makes sense to use it and what I have to do to get it working?

Any answers/hints would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph