Subject: Newbie - compile netatalk

From: Tino Hendricks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 11:44:22 +0200

Dear list,

I know that this list is called "admins" but maybe one is so kind to help me
compile netatalk on my machine.

I tried a binary but then I had the trash problem. I tried *every*
combination of permissions - to no avail.

Then I saw the tip in some mail from 1999 to change one line in the code.
But for that I need of course to compile the thing. The 'make' command exits
with:

> /usr/bin/../lib/libwrap.a(hosts_access.o): In function `host_match':
> hosts_access.o(.text+0x400): undefined reference to `yp_get_default_domain'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Any help is VERY much appreciated. Thanks!

Tino

www.interpool-online.de

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 08:49:28 -0700 (PDT)

> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

If you keep searching the archives, you'll find this problem mentioned
many times...  :)

Roughly, you need to add "-lnsl" to the LIBS line in sys/linux/Makefile of
the netatalk source.

	Andy

---

From: Tino Hendricks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 17:16:08 +0200

> Roughly, you need to add "-lnsl" to the LIBS line in sys/linux/Makefile of
Andy,

thanks for the hint. Actually deja.com only results in four occurences of
this and they don´t explain it more than your short lines. But somehow - we
managed it that it works now!!

Of course I can´t explain what´s needed (but nobody that I asked could, to
be honest...) to make it run but to my little knowledge the following seems
to be important because since we changed *all* of it, it works:

- the shared directories should be under /home/..
- the users should belong to one group
- the shared directories should belong to this group
- Do what Mr. Neill MacAllister suggested in 1998:
1. Go to [netatalk source dir]/etc/afpd/unix.c and change line 26 to read:

#define DIRBITS S_ISGID | S_IWGRP

(Nowadays this is declared in directory.h)
Recompile afpd, and then start up netatalk and afpd as usual.

2. Go to the netatalk root shared directory where you're having the
problem, and do the following:

rm -rf Network\ Trash\ Folder
mkdir Network\ Trash\ Folder
chown macadmin:macusers Network\ Trash\ Folder
chmod 2777 Network\ Trash\ Folder

That worked for me - after three weeks trying a LOT!

Tino

www.interpool-online.de