Subject: Re: asun2.1.4 release?

From: Dave Ritter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:10:42 -0600

thanks,
this helped a lot

pre2.1.437b is installed and everything seems to work fine (except aliases,
but I wasn't expecting that to be fixed yet)

One strange bit - the machine I did my testing on had a Intel 100mbit
ethernet card installed. The Intel card seemed to work OK with the RPM based
install of 2.1.3 but it would not work well with the pre2.1.437b compiled
version. I remember reading somewhere about special code that had to be
added to make Intel cards work. It seems the 2.1.3-RPM has had this done to
it already.

once again, thank you for your help...

Dave Ritter
[email-masked]

----------------
I'm building Red Hat Linux boxes every day for sale as Appleshare
servers for prepress and design, and have found that, at least on
RH6.1, everything works well with pre2.1.437b if.....

- In the Makefile, you comment out:
#CRYPTODIR=
#DESDIR=
#CRACKDIR=

and then add DEFS= -DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS to you sys/linux/Makefile in
your netatalk folder.

I realise that this means that Cleartext passwords are used etc, but
at least Quark files save, print and work fine to OS9 G4s and
8100/80s!!

just my experience.....

mrad01

At 12:47 PM -0600 9/3/2000, Dave Ritter wrote:
are we even close to a release for 1.4b2+asun2.1.4?

I have been trying, without any success, to get a working version to compile
from the "pre" source code...

the "server_quantum" feature is most important for my users, with
1.4b2+asun2.1.3 our G4s can not save files to our servers from Quark XPress.
This seems to even affect printing documents with art located on the
netatalk servers.

It is very frustrating to have a partial solution in hand and not be able to
use it because of unix compiling problems, I am not a unix expert - just a
DTP tech that would like to use the best tools for the job.

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Griesmayer Andreas wrote:

i have a real problem with netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3. our server somtimes
(too often) closes the connections while reading or writing.
i'm afraid this can lead to fatal data-loss on our (huge) XPress files.
so any help an suggestions are very welcome !

Environment:
Version 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 (binary RPM privided py SuSE Linux 6.3).

Could you try the latest pre-release version from:

ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing

Andy

========================================================

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer."
Marcus Radich 1999

========================================================

<fontfamily><param>Geneva</param>I'm building Red Hat Linux boxes every
day for sale as Appleshare servers for prepress and design, and have
found that, at least on RH6.1, everything works well with pre2.1.437b
if.....

- In the Makefile, you comment out:

#CRYPTODIR=

#DESDIR=

#CRACKDIR=

and then add DEFS= -DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS to you sys/linux/Makefile in your
netatalk folder.

I realise that this means that Cleartext passwords are used etc, but at
least Quark files save, print and work fine to OS9 G4s and 8100/80s!!

just my experience.....

mrad01

At 12:47 PM -0600 9/3/2000, Dave Ritter wrote:

</fontfamily><excerpt>are we even close to a release for
1.4b2+asun2.1.4?

I have been trying, without any success, to get a working version to
compile

from the "pre" source code...

the "server_quantum" feature is most important for my users, with

1.4b2+asun2.1.3 our G4s can not save files to our servers from Quark
XPress.

This seems to even affect printing documents with art located on the

netatalk servers.

It is very frustrating to have a partial solution in hand and not be
able to

use it because of unix compiling problems, I am not a unix expert -
just a

DTP tech that would like to use the best tools for the job.

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Griesmayer Andreas wrote:

i have a real problem with netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3. our server
somtimes

(too often) closes the connections while reading or writing.

i'm afraid this can lead to fatal data-loss on our (huge) XPress
files.

so any help an suggestions are very welcome !

Environment:

Version 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 (binary RPM privided py SuSE Linux 6.3).

Could you try the latest pre-release version from:

ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing

Andy

</excerpt>

========================================================

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer."

Marcus Radich 1999

========================================================