Subject: Netatalk not registering name on network?

From: John L Grantham <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 00:34:22 +0100

Hi all,

Apologies for the cross-post.

A quick question: My netatalk installation complains that it can't 
register its name on the network, even though my hostname settings are 
correct (all other daemons work fine). I'm running LinuxPPC 1999 Q3 
(updated with LinuxPPC 2000 Lite) on a beige G3 MT/266, using a 
self-compiled kernel (2.2.15pre9) from Paul Mackerras' tree at 
linuxcare.com.au. I'm also using IP masquerading/firewall, which is 
compiled into the kernel. (If it would help, I can forward the .config 
file for my kernel.) dmesg claims AppleTalk is running.

I can still log in with AppleTalk via TCP/IP, and it works fine, but it 
also doesn't show up in the Chooser (I have to type in the IP address 
manually) on the other Macs.

Can someone give me some tips as to what to do? I did compile AppleTalk 
support into the kernel (as a module), and AppleTalk is listed in 
/etc/services (and the RPM-provided conf files are pretty much untouched).

Any suggestions?

This might just be a case of my knowing just enough to be dangerous...

cya

John

---

John Grantham | Freelance Graphic and Web Designer
              | Dipl.-Designer (FH)
              | Homepage: http://surf.to/multimedia
              | MacLinux: http://www.maclinux.de/

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 00:50:55 +0100

>Any suggestions?

Have a look at the syslog. Further dignostics are now possible without information from there.

:wq! PoC