Subject: TCP only, repeating list redraws and setting type and creator.

From: faxserver‹nigel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 09:36:06 +1100

Hi,

I've three issues at present.

I've netatalk installed on a Debian Linux intel box. The Macs can connect by
directly typing in IP addresses, but nothing appears in the chooser. I'm
starting both protocols when I start the daemon, but cannot pin down why
things aren't showing up. Obviously, netatalk is setting up on the ethernet
port and is starting TCP. Are there tools to detect at what level the
failure is occurring?

Also, when connected, if showing server files the display repeatedly redraws
itself.

Finally, from within a script on the Linux box, can I set the type/creator
codes of files moved to a shared directory. I've some graphics files who I'd
like to specify the creator for different from the default (which I'd like
to keep as it is.)

TIA

Nigel.

---

From: faxserver‹nigel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:46:55 +1100

Hi again,

This time, the pertinent version information...

I've netatalk installed on a Debian Linux intel box (Debian Linux 2.2.1
(potato), netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6). Mac: G4, OS 8.6.

1. The Macs can connect by directly typing in IP addresses, but nothing
appears in the chooser. I'm starting both protocols when I start the daemon,
but cannot pin down why things aren't showing up. Obviously, netatalk is
setting up on the ethernet port and is starting TCP. Are there tools to
detect at what level the failure is occurring?

2. When connected, if showing server files, the display repeatedly redraws
itself.

3. From within a script on the Linux box, can I set the type/creator codes
of files moved to a shared directory? I've some graphics files who I'd like
to specify the creator for different from the default (which I'd like to
keep as it is.)

TIA

Nigel.

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 16:32:00 -0700 (PDT)

> detect at what level the failure is occurring?

Let's start with the obvious -- what's your afpd configuration line?  

> 2. When connected, if showing server files, the display repeatedly redraws

That often indicates a problem with the resource files.  We frequently see
that with files created via PC Exchange on a DOS-formatted floppies and
zip disks when files in .resource.frk have landed in bad sectors.  

Try doing

chmod -R 777 .AppleDouble

...from the linux side and from within one of the affected directories.

Alternately, delete the files that keep redrawing and their resources,
then recopy the files.  

> to specify the creator for different from the default (which I'd like to

(dunno)

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/

---

From: faxserver‹nigel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:24:06 +1100

As it seems that no-one has a means of setting type/creator codes from
within a server script, I'll investigate that and create something myself.

However, I'd still appreciate some help with DDP and the problem with views
repeatedly redrawing themselves.

If someone could point to a series of diagnostic steps to find out at what
point DDP is failing, that'd be great. In fact, any pointers would help.

The Macs can connect by directly typing in IP addresses, but nothing
appears in the chooser. I'm starting both protocols when I start the daemon,
but cannot pin down why things aren't showing up. Obviously, netatalk is
setting up on the ethernet port and is starting TCP.

The display repeatedly redrawing itself seems limited to one mount point.
I've set up another shared directory and that behaves fine. The majority of
the files in the original directory were created by the Linux box. The
second mount was created on the Linux box and then a number of files and
folders copied from a Mac to the directory. When viewed on a slower 604e
PowerCenter clone with OS 8.1, the list seems to redraw with a duplicate for
each file for a short time before redrawing the correct list, and repeats
this indefinitely. Suggestions?

TIA
Nigel.

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:43:33 -0700

We were discussing this today at work, actually.  The redraw/"dancing icons"
happens when resource data is damaged.  The quickest way I've found of
getting rid of the dancing icons is to wipe out the resource information.
Usually that's on a DOS-formatted diskette when I do that and the file
extensions designate the file type, but I imagine the same could be done for
netatalk information.

I renamed the subject of this because the problem you describe has been
discussed before, only it was described as the "Dancing icons" problem.  You
might even be able to search for it online that way.

----- Original Message -----
From: "faxserver<nigel" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 5:24 PM
Subject: 3 Issues: TCP only, repeating list redraws and setting type
andcreator.

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:31:33 -0700

on 9/12/00 10:43 PM, Marc J. Miller at [email-masked] wrote:

> happens when resource data is damaged.

Either that, or you lack write permissions for the proper location (I think
it's for one of the system files).

Recent versions of netatalk have fixed this.

Harry

-- 
CAN'T SEE MAC IN CHOOSER UNDER RedHat 6.2: If you get errors starting
AppleTalk under RedHat 6.2 and Mandrake 7.1, you need to manually add "alias
net-pf-5 appletalk" to your /etc/conf.modules file.