Subject: Two servers--More info

From: "Joe Rhodes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 09:40:45 CST

Well, here's some more info, specifically what I get when I do an "nbplkup" 
on one of the linux boxes.  However, I get this same odd behaviour even if 
one or both of the boxes is loaded via the "server IP" button in my chooser. 
  I suppose I should include that I'm using OS 9 for testing purposes on the 
client.

localhost:AFPServer                          65280.58:128
localhost:netatalk                           65280.58:4
localhost:Workstation                        65280.58:4
decameron:AFPServer                          65280.163:130
decameron:LaserWriter                        65280.163:128
decameron:netatalk                           65280.163:4
decameron:Workstation                        65280.163:4
localhost:Darwin                             65500.85:128
DieckÕs Computer:AFPServer                          65323.244:250
DieckÕs Computer:ARA - Client-Only                  65323.244:2
DieckÕs Computer:  Power Macintosh                  65323.244:252
DieckÕs Computer:Workstation                        65323.244

While I suppose I could do NFS sharing between the two linux boxes, I'm more 
interested in finding out why both machines cannot be on the network at the 
same time.

I have noticed that I can log into a university Linux-intel box via the 
"server IP" button and can still log into one of my own Linux boxes here.

Once again, this situation occurs even if I attempt to log into both of my 
own machines using the "server IP" button.

Johnathan Newman said that apparently netatalk always returns the same 
server ID.  This sounds like what's happening.  Is there a way to change 
this or some other way to get around this?

Thanks Again everyone!
-Joe  Rhodes
_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.

---

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:21:45 -0500

>Well, here's some more info, specifically what I get when I do an 
>"nbplkup" on one of the linux boxes.  However, I get this same odd 
>behaviour even if one or both of the boxes is loaded via the "server 
>IP" button in my chooser.  I

Now _that_ suprizes me.

>suppose I should include that I'm using OS 9 for testing purposes on 
>the client.
>

Not being an Atalk expert, I would say that the two boxes _are_ in 
the same network and are different nodes.

Did you try changing/adding/making the localhost name to an appletalk 
name in config or netatalk.config?

odd question, but are both boxes on the same TCP/IP network? are they 
both on the same hub/router/switch?

Are the network addresses (internal network addresses I assume) of 
the two boxes the same or different? Have you tried to change the IP 
of the two "flaky" boxes?

>While I suppose I could do NFS sharing between the two linux boxes, 
>I'm more interested in finding out why both machines cannot be on 
>the network at the same time. I have noticed that I can log into a 
>university Linux-intel box via the

>Once again, this situation occurs even if I attempt to log into both 
>of my own machines using the "server IP" button.
>
>Johnathan Newman said that apparently netatalk always returns the 
>same server ID.  This sounds like what's happening.  Is there a way 
>to change this or some other way to get around this?

What does that mean? I'm clueless...

---

From: Leland Wallace <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:06:43 -0800

>What does that mean? I'm clueless...

The symptoms you are describing are consistent with both servers returning
the same server signature. The client uses the server signature to uniquely 
identify a server (even if it can be contacted via AppleTalk and IP or at
several different addresses). When the client goes to connect to a server, it first checks
the server signature it got from the server against the signatures of the currently 
mounted servers. If it finds one, it just uses the existing connection. You
need to find the place where netatalk stores the signature and make sure it is unique.

Hope this helps
Leland

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leland Wallace           Working in            AppleShare Engineering
[email-masked]    but not speaking for      Apple Computer Inc.
http://www2.inow.com/~randall
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------