Subject: SUN Solaris version 7/MacOS 8.5 timeout

From: Frank Swasey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:14:27 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
  I'm trying to get netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4 39_test to work...  The
problem I'm having is the following:

With the default -tickleval 30 in afpd, I'm seeing a timeout where both
sides claim the other side went away after 30 seconds of
inactivity.  When I specify -tickleval 3600 in the afpd.conf file, the
timeout happens after four (4) minutes of inactivity.  The timeout is
accompanied by the following messages:

on the SUN:

dsi_stream_read(-1): Connection reset by peer
dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe

On the Mac:

The file server's connection has unexpectedly closed down [12:54 PM on
7/31/2000].

The mac is running base 8.5 (no maintenance that I remember putting
on...) and the SUN is running the recommended maintenance for Solaris 7
(from early July).

We had this working on a 64bit kernel without the timeouts (but no ddp
driver) until I installed DCE and recompiled netatalk with PAM
support.  I'm not sure (I will test if no one responds) whether the
problem is PAM or PAM/DCE related...  I've already backed down to a
32bit kernel with no change in symptoms.

Thanks for any help,
-- 
Frank Swasey                             |\      _,,,---,,_
Systems Programmer                 ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
University of Vermont                   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
http://www.uvm.edu/~fcs                '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)