Subject: automake/autoconf status update in CVS

From: "jeff b" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 23:22:00 +0000 (GMT)

I believe that I have gotten the automake/autoconf setup to work -- I just 
committed the changes to the repository (they seem to work with Andy 
Morgan's authenticated printing patches).

To try to build it, run:
  ./autogen.sh
  ./configure (options, or --help to see the options)
  make all

It seems to work on my box, although I had to temporarily disable the 
megatron portion of the build, since it kept dying during the compile. 
Also, the uams now have lib_ prefixed onto them (at least temporarily) 
since libtool complained about them not beginning with "lib".

The shadow passwords patch has also been applied (to the best of my 
recollections, anyways ... ) and seems to compile as well. It uses --with-
shadow as its configure option. Also, I put in an option for using flock 
locks, since everyone on the list seemed to want the capability to change 
that.

It is still very close to the configure.scan that autoscan generated, so I 
would appreciate any fixes to that.

Although it does build, I honestly don't know how well anything works yet, 
since I have not had a chance to install and/or test the build. If anyone 
would like to try this, please let me know. Also, if you have any patches 
laying around for 2.1.4pre37b-39, please let me know. I'd like the next 
fully working build to be netatalk 1.5 pre (whatever) until everyone is 
satisfied enough to release 1.5.

Thanks,
jeff
     
*************************
jeff b
system administrator
university communications
university of connecticut
[email-masked]

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:45:53 -0700 (PDT)

> satisfied enough to release 1.5.

I have a few other patches to papd which other users posted to the mailing
list a long time ago.  I'll check if these are still relevant and apply
them.

Thanks for all the hard work on this!

	Andy

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:13:39 -0700

> Thanks for all the hard work on this!

Allow me to add my very heartfelt 'ditto' to this - you're doing a great job
to help to restart this project, and get it into a state where hopefully
more dynamic forward motion will be possible.

Harry
-- 
CAN'T SEE MAC IN CHOOSER UNDER RedHat 6.2: If you get errors starting
AppleTalk under RedHat 6.2 and Mandrake 7.1, you need to manually add "alias
net-pf-5 appletalk" to your /etc/conf.modules file.

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:56:12 -0700

Jeff,

You're doing an awesome job on helping bring this project together in an
effective manner - you ought to be applauded. Since my coding ability is
pretty much nil, allow me to lend a hand in some other way.

I spoke to my buddy Steve (Hi, Steve), the owner of the netatalk.com domain,
and he's ready to redirect it to the sourceforge location so we have a
decent URL for people to find (since pigs will probably fly before Wes will
do anything with his domains except sit on them).

We're also ready to write up some killer press releases (it's one of the
things we like doing), when your work is ready for a more public
consumption, specifically ready for a renumbering to 1.5 (and I think it
ought to be 'netatalk 1.5', effectively severing it from the umich
umbilical). I'd suggest sending such releases regularly to sites like
linuxtoday.com, linux weekly news, macintouch/macnn/macweek.

I'd also like to help with suggestions in regards to the RPM
configurations/functionality, as much as possible. Since I work as a
consultant and I have access to various situations/software/hardware
configurations, I'd like to help it out as much as possible.

I also run netatalk on x86 boxes, as well as linuxppc boxes.

My suggestion is to provide RPMs for the following platforms:
- x86/386 (RedHat)
- x86/586 (Mandrake)
- PPC (Yellow Dog/LinuxPPC)

If you can help/explain to me how to make the RPM, I can do those on my PPC
boxes.

We should encourage others to contribute packages for:

- StormLinux
- Debian
- FreeBSD
- Solaris (since there are tons of people with regular questions about
SOlaris on those).

Not sure who we can solicit for help on those.

Your thoughts,

Harry

---

From: BWS - Offwhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 20:40:04 -0500 (CDT)

I am not much for coding, but I may be able to help in working on/hosting
the site.  I use Netatalk as a Mac user and I administer 4 FreeBSD boxes
and have Netatalk running on all of them.  I have jumped through the hoops
to get it to let me print and everything else I needed to do and would
like to see a good Netatalk site come together.

My current side project is GreasyDaemon.com.
- http://www.greasydaemon.com/

I am working to build an information portal for BSD Unix
systems.  Netatalk is likely be a topic I will have to cover.

What I do for a living is develop websites.  My primary work goes into
OnMilwaukee.com, a local city guide.
- http://www.onmilwaukee.com/

That features an articles system with a talkback option.  I could create a
slimmed down version for a Netatalk site rather quickly as I already plan
to do one for GreasyDaemon.com.  This articles system allows writers to
enter new articles into the system and set a start and end time for the
articles along with a priority rank and category.  That effectively
generates the whole site.

I do all this from an iMac, one at home and one at work.  I could also
host this site, or maybe a part of it if you cannot find a suitable
environment for it.  I would need access to a MySQL database along with
various perl modules to I can interface with the database properly.

Hosting by me would free assuming traffic does not get out of hand.  If it
does we will need to arrange for a way to pay for hardware 
upgrades... perhaps selling novelty items on copyleft.net. 

Three Hundred T-Shirts buys a new 15gig hardrive and 64 megs a RAM!!!

:)

Let me know if you could use my help.

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?
http://www.greasydaemon.com/noms/ <- Why avoid MS?

---

From: Cliff Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 21:48:41 -0400

> - Solaris (since there are tons of people with regular questions about

There is already a FreeBSD port of netatalk; the maintainer listed is
<[email-masked]>.
Solaris packages are available at <http://www.sunfreeware.com/> and 
<http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/packages/solaris/> (although they don't have
netatalk yet--but these would be the places to submit them to once we
create them).
I could volunteer to create packages for Solaris 7 on Intel (and
possibly on SPARC too, if I can manage to install it on my lil' IPC ;).

-- 
cliff crawford    -><-    http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/cjc26/
                         "But why is it TILED?!?"      icq 68165166

---

From: DAve <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 21:25:45 -0700

Look!  a Lurker!!

Hello all, I would very much like to second the well done, it warms my heart 
to see Netatlalk back in development again. I have been on/off this list for 
the past four years running netatalk for my wife's work-at-home LAN. When 
not subscribed I read the archives weekly. Currently my wife connects to two 
FBSD boxes for her storage and archives. 

I have at work - six Lingo programmers, two PHP developers, and two web 
developers all on dual monitor G4s connecting to a FBSD and a Slackware box. 
Netatalk gets a healthy workout. I would have the sound and artist crews on 
Netatalk too except the media traffic manager needs W2K, or retraining. (you 
may read into that comment as you see fit ;^) @ Http://rblc.com 

Thank you all.

I don't know C unfortunately, but I have a pair of webservers at 
home with Apache/PHP/MySQL/Postgres running several small low traffic 
domains, and sendmail/bind. 

I also have a web artist wife between contracts who could be shamed into 
creating a logo ( Honey... where would you be without Netatalk? )

I'd be happy, thrilled, to help.

DAve 
Director of Interface Development 
Reality Based Learning 
Redmond Wa.
http://rblc.com

-- "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the 
Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait, and waiting -- died"

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 23:35:16 -0700

> I'd be happy, thrilled, to help.

Dude, your kind of attitude is great, and acommendable to help this project
further along.

Harry