Subject: netatalk or Mac bug? PBGetCatInfo problems.

From: Chris Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 11:18:51 -0700

I have an AppleShare volume connected using ASIP to a Linux box using
netatalk.[1]

When I call PBGetCatInfo on a file on that volume, bit 4 of ioFlAttrib is
set, which normally indicates something is a folder. But, it's just a file.
The Finder doesn't get confused, it shows the files as files and has their
correct information.

Someone who should know tells me "Sounds like a bug on the server side
instead of the client side. The AppleShare client set the folder attribute
bit it returns to PBGetCatInfo requests if the server says the object is a
folder."

So, is this a known netatalk bug, and what's the Mac-side workaround? In
addition to having the ioFlAttrib problem, I also have a problem with my
alias resolution code. Both work just fine with local files.

If you want to see this problem, download JConfig:

  http://www.tolstoy.com/samizdat/jconfig.html

After downloading, follow the installation instructions in macinfo.html,
then open the ImageMeister application, which is a form of file browser.
Click 'show all files', and navigate to a folder with files. It comes with
the complete source, if you want to trace through the code.

[1] The remote volume is on a PC with RH 6.1. netatalk was installed from
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-8.i386.rpm, and I'm connecting as the non-root
user 'jconfig' with home directory /home/jconfig. I convert the path
":jconfig:samizdat:changes.html" to an FSSpec using MoreFile's
FSpFullPathToSpec routine, then I pass that info to PBGetCatInfo. It comes
back as a directory.

I'm using MacOS 8.5.1, and IIRC I installed over 7.6.1. I've installed the
AppleShare_Client_3.8.6.smi.bin.

---

From: Stephen Welker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 19:56:10 +1000

--On Sunday, 23 July 2000 11:18 AM -0700 Chris Kelly <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

> set, which normally indicates something is a folder. But, it's just a
> file. The Finder doesn't get confused, it shows the files as files and
> has their correct information.
>

Chris,

For a start you are using a VERY old version of Netatalk.

>From the README.ASUN file for netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4-39_test
...
the patches currently include the following features:
  AFP/TCP
  ...
  all of AFP 2.2. All of AFP 2.1 except for FPCatSearch is
    is implemented if fixed id support is compiled in
  ...
--- end quote ---

Is MoreFile's FSpFullPathToSpec routine affected by the above restrictions?

The version you are using may not have a full implementation of the AFP 
specification, read the docs - I usually compile source rather that use 
RPMs so that I have all of the docs that come with the releases.

Try an upgrade of your Netatalk server and let the list know of your 
results.

-- 
Stephen Welker