Subject: Loading international fonts

From: "Olivier Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 20:30:41 +0900

Hi,

I have a stange problem with my Macs printing through netatalk to a printer
(HP Laserjet 4000N) locally connected to a Linux Box.
When I try to print documents in English with fonts like Arial, Times etc,
everything is OK.
However when I try to print documents in Japanese, the Mac crashes and I
have to reboot (Finder: error system 10)
Here are a few symptoms and characteristics:
- My macs run an English OS 8.1 and I installed Kanji Kit to read and write
Japanese.
- When I try to print Japanese to the same printer via the network localtalk
(and not netatalk), the Japanese font (Osaka or Mincho) is loaded into the
printer and it prints but the process is slow.
- When I try to print a Japanese document from a PC via Samba on the same
linux box to the same printer, it perfectly works. The font MS Gothic or
other is correctly loaded.
- If I l make a "tail -f /var/log/messages" on the linux box when I try to
print from the Mac, I notice the line
"atalkd: child created".
- Before rebooting the mac, I checked the spool directory and there are  2
files with strangename (df45wd...) containing what seems to be postscript
code. After rebooting the mac, these 2 files have disappeared and my
/var/log/messages contains the line "atalkd: child terminated"
- I have a papd file in which I declared the path of my ppd file for my
printer .
- My linux box is fully english and I don't use any command like ghostscript
(gv...) to read the files before printing.

Can anybody help me ?
Thanks, Olivier.