Subject: Using multiple D-Link DFE-570TX 4 Port cards

From: Barry Brimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 22:31:17 -0500

Hello list, I was wondering if anyone has had experience using 
netatalk with a D-Link DFE-570TX card.  It runs on a tulip chipset. 
I am using driver version tulip.c:v0.92i 7/31/2000

I am running RedHat 6.2 w/kernel 2.2.14 on 2 machines.  2.2.14 
includes AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0. I am using netatalk 
1.4b2+asun2.1.3

According to many previous list posts that I have read, setting the 
card to multi,allmulti,promisc seems to help with netatalk in 
general, I have these commands scripted into my atalk startup script.

Basically, the problem is this.  I have 3 DFE-570TX cards, as well as 
5 3c90X adapters in two machines.  I have a seed router (which has 2 
tlan cards, 2 3c509 cards and a pcnet32 card.  One of the ports (that 
happens to use a tlan card) seeds onto a network where the 2 above 
building routers are.  Each building router has one non-seed port, 
and many seed ports.  My problem is that people on the 2 building 
routers can't see any traffic other than traffic on it's own local 
cards.  I've finally gotten it to the point where I can see traffic 
in all zones from the seed router.  Traffic still can't cross from 
one building router to another.

My atalkd.conf files are as follows (yes, some of these fall off the 
edge of the screen, but I don't think I'm missing anything real 
critical..)

I use my non-seed port as the last entry, as it seems to use the last 
entry in the atalkd.conf to nbpregister as the router, and I thought 
having them all announce into the same common network would be useful.

Seed Router:

#eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 100 -addr 100.50 -zone "Servers"
eth4 -seed -phase 2 -net 221-225 -addr 221.50 -zone "Library"
eth3 -seed -phase 2 -net 231-235 -addr 231.50 -zone "ResHall - West"
eth2 -seed -phase 2 -net 226-230 -addr 226.50 -zone "ResHall - East"
eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 200-220 -addr 200.50 -zone "HumEther" -zone "Servers"

Building Router #1:

eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 302-303 -addr 302.50 -zone "Union"
eth2 -seed -phase 2 -net 306-307 -addr 306.50 -zone "Lovinger" -zone "LovingerL
#eth3 **DO NOT USE**
#eth4 **DO NOT USE**
#eth5 **DO NOT USE**
#eth6 **DO NOT USE**
#eth7 **DO NOT USE**
eth8 -seed -phase 2 -net 314-315 -addr 314.50 -zone "Art"
eth9 -seed -phase 2 -net 312-313 -addr 312.50 -zone "Utt"
eth10 -seed -phase 2 -net 310-311 -addr 310.50 -zone "Wood"
eth11 -seed -phase 2 -net 308-309 -addr 308.50 -zone "Union"
#eth12 **DO NOT USE**
eth13 -seed -phase 2 -net 304-305 -addr 304.50 -zone "Morrow"
#eth14 **DO NOT USE**
eth15 -seed -phase 2 -net 300-301 -addr 300.50 -zone "Martin"
#eth16 **DO NOT USE**
eth0 -phase 2 -net 200-220 -addr 219.97 -zone "HumEther" -zone "Utt Annex" -zon

Building Router #2:

eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 402-403 -addr 402.50 -zone "Grinstead" -zone "Imaging
eth2 -seed -phase 2 -net 404-405 -addr 404.50 -zone "Administration"
eth3 -seed -phase 2 -net 406-407 -addr 406.50 -zone "WCM"
eth4 -seed -phase 2 -net 400-401 -addr 400.50 -zone "Humphreys"
#eth5 **DO NOT USE - UPLINK TO MAIN CAMPUS**
#eth6 **DO NOT USE - UPLINK TO MAIN CAMPUS**
#eth7 **DO NOT USE - UPLINK TO MAIN CAMPUS**
#eth8 **NOT IN USE**
#eth9 **NOT IN USE**
#eth10 **DO NOT USE - UPLINK TO MAIN CAMPUS**
#eth11 **DO NOT USE - Dockery 2nd Floor - No Appletalk**
#eth12 **DO NOT USE - UPLINK TO MAIN CAMPUS**
#eth13 **DO NOT USE - Dockery Building - No Appletalk**
#eth14 **DO NOT USE - UPLINK TO MAIN CAMPUS**
#eth15 **DO NOT USE - UPLINK TO MAIN CAMPUS**
#eth16 **DO NOT USE - TEMPERMENTAL**
eth0 -phase 2 -net 200-220 -addr 219.4 -zone "HumEther" -zone "Utt Annex" -zone

If anyone has a recommendation for how I can improve appletalk 
routing please let me know!

Thanks!

Barry