Subject: Strange Quark problem

From: Lance Levsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:38:42 -0600

I'm finding a strange problem with Quark writing postscript files.

We have Quark 3.32 creating documents from a template, and then outputing 
postscript to the netatalk fileserver.

When the owner of the scripts first logs in I get an error like this in the 
logs:
Feb 21 12:55:50 iworks PAM_unix[30329]: (netatalk) session opened for user  
admin by (uid=0)
Feb 21 12:55:50 iworks afpd[30329]: login admin (uid 1000, gid 1000)
Feb 21 12:55:52 iworks afpd[30329]: setdirowner: chown -1/0  
.AppleDouble/.Parent: Operation not permitted

Then the first postscript file the script creates (after a fresh login) fails 
with a type -48 or occasionally a type -35 error on the Mac.

Thereafter every postscript file works.

We can't seem to duplicate this problem manually from Quark.

In regards to the above error the permissions are:

drwxrwsr-x   41 admin    admin        1024 Feb 15 08:55 .AppleDesktop
and
-rw-rw-r--    1 admin    admin         589 Feb 21 14:20 .Parent

these seem right to me.

What I can't figure out is why would it only fail on the first attempt after 
the user logs in?

I have this problem with a variety of netatalks and am currently running 
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4-38b. I have PAM, tcpwrapper and DHX compiled in. The 
server is a Debian Potato kernel 2.2.13.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are looking at an Applescript work 
around that will trip the landmine, but I would rather fix the problem.

-- 
Lance Levsen, Programmer
Product Innovation,Web Development
PWGroup - S'toon.
477-3166