Subject: mysteriously deleting files

From: Jonathan Giles <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 16:23:47 -0400

Hello:

I have searched thru the archives and doc but have not seen this issue
discussed, so I thought I might ask it here.

I serve up mac files using redhat 6.1 with netatalk, and recently
starting having problems where users tell me that all of the sudden the
directory they are working on mysteriously moves to the trash.   I
decided to install the latest netatalk I could find
(netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3) and try again.  The problem still occurs.

The funny thing is that they do not have write access to mostly
everything in the directory.  If they try to log off, they get error
messages about how they can not delete filexxx, but if there is a file
they do have write access to in the directory, it will delete it.

The "root" directory that is mounted is writable only to the admin.  It
is readable by everyone else.  I just heard that we should make the
.AppleDouble directories writable, and maybe we should do the same for
the .AppleDesktop directory.

There is one directory in the "root" directory that is writable.

It also seems that if the user tries to trash something, they get a
message that they must delete it right away.

Some of these things might be interelated.  They all might be involved
with the message in the log...
 afp_openfork: ad_open: Permission denied

Is there a standard way of setting up permissions for atalk that I am
missing?
The idea, again, is that most directories and the stuff in them are read
only for everyone except admin, and an occasional directory would be
group writable.

Thanks very much for your help!!!

Jonathan Giles