Subject: Re: shell

From: "John Arends" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 22:14:28 -0500

Hmm..yeah..how can I disable telnet for most users but allow a select few 
telnet access but allow ftp for all?

-----
John Arends
[email-masked]

Windows95/98/NT (noun): 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16 bit
patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit
microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of
competition

> on 7/3/00 2:29 PM, Chris G. Sellers at [email-masked] wrote:
>
>> chsh.  If your using Linux or anything but Solaris.  If they do not have
>> a valid shell (usually in /etc/shells) or if you set their shell to be
>> /dev/null then they should not be able to login.
>>
>> Visit linuxdoc.org and search for security.  They will give you some
>> how-to's to make your system secure, and one of them should be shell
>> access.
>
> Just a reminder, if you do this, the users will not be able to ftp to the
> machine (using their account) either.  This may or may not matter to you,
> but, it is a side effect of removing the shell.
>
> --Brian
>
>

---

From: Cliff Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 23:32:42 -0400

> telnet access but allow ftp for all?

Yes, you can change the shell to /bin/false (as suggested before) which
will not allow them to telnet in, yet also add /bin/false to
/etc/shells, which will allow them to ftp in (since ftp just checks that
file to see if it's a valid shell, it doesn't actually try to run it).

-- 
cliff crawford    -><-    http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/cjc26/
                          Synaesthesia now!            icq 68165166