Subject: FAQ, but: Is there any way to work with Quark on a Linux-Server?

From: "Lars O. Grobe"<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 09:12:34 MEZ

Hi!

I'm sorry asking the question that has filled netatalk forums for years,
but it's one of the most important aspects in our network configuration.

We have a Linux server which serves a heterogenous network of about 15 PCs
and 25 Macs (which will grow to 80 in the next weeks. We are maintaining
a students computer lab at the department of architecture of our university,
and besides Photoshop and CAD, Quark is the program which is used most.
As we have 350 users at the moment, these are only allowed to keep their
data on the server. So it's very difficult to tell them (in a way that all
350 understand) that they have to save files locally and move them to their
home-dir after having closed Quark.

So, the standard answer is "Quark is not supposed to be used on a network",
I know that the way Quark keeps open files is a problem. But on the other
hand, I wonder why we were able to use Quark on volumes on both a Windows NT
server (which was replaced by the Linux machine because of the slow appletalk
on NT) and on a PowerG4, too. In fact, the network is the same in all three
cases.

So, is it a problem of netatalk (and should I try cap now), is it the 3com nic,
is it in the Linux system? I wonder if I really should try to replace hardware
and software on our server if I don't know if anybody handling large files with
Quark (4.x) ever had success on a Linux server. At the moment, we even think
about replacing the Linux server with a Mac (running MacOS X and samba), as the
Apple clients are the most important part of our network and give us so many
problems.

So, maybe someone can help, CU, Lars.

BTW: We have asuns pre37, and I also have set up a 1.499 to test.

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 22:14:54 +1300

This is a standard setup for my company's netatalk servers. I have 
modified the sys/linux/Makefile in the netatalk source dir, and added:

DEFS= -DUSE_FLOCK_LOCKS

to the top of the file. This allows our server to work quite happily 
all day with Quark. We still remind our clients that using Quark 
files over a network is risky, but one client of ours has 25 
designers working for over 2 years with only 1 corrupt file. We still 
use asun214 pre37.

mrad01

-- 
========================================================

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer."
		Marcus Radich 1999

========================================================