Subject: RE: Here's a question or two...

From: "Joe Rhodes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 10:57:56 CST

The server signature, at least for me, is not the same as my hostid.  It 
appears to be based off that however.

What do you get when you type in "hostid" at a command prompt?  On my 
machines, that is what appeared to be related to my IP address.  Then the 
server signature was slightly different and, yes, repeats a bunch of times 
till it comes up with a 128 bit server sig.  (Each hex digit is worth 4 
bits.--Wow, something useful from learning assembly language.  Oh my god!)

My server signature seems to be close to, but not exactly, my hostid.

As for the other items, I dunno!

Cheers!
-Joe Rhodes

"Contrary to popular belief, UNIX is very user friendly.
It's just very picky about who its friends are."

>>  > Update:
>>>
>>>  my server signature is:
>>>  0x6DB8B0086DB8B0086DB8B0086DB8B008
>>>
>>>  the /etc/HOSTNAME is artsengraving.com and there is a line
>>>  in /etc/hosts
>>>  192.168.110.200 iserver		artsengraving.com
>>>
>>>  hostname() returns iserver (obviously).
>>>
>>>  I wonder why the server signature is repeating. Is it hex for 192?
>>
>>The hostid that netatalk uses doesn't have to be based on the ip
>>address.  It just happens to be that it is.  hostid is supposed to
>>return a "unique" 4 byte number that is consistent between reboots.
>>
>>In your case, it doesn't look like the signature is based on that ip
>>address at all.  Does the box have more than one interface?
>>
>>0x6d = 109
>>0xb8 = 184
>>0xb0 = 176
>>0x08 = 8
>
>Why how observant! I do have two NICs. And how odd you ask...
>
>When I use the ServerInfo PPC as mentioned earlier, I get the IP of
>the Netatalk host as being 192.168.110.200 - eth1, though, through
>ASIP client (Mac) I key in 192.168.110.210 for eth0. Hmmmmmmmmm.
>
>I'm not trying to start a new thread on the same subject, but this is
>interesting to me!
>
>Ok, so now, why am I connected to eth1 instead of eth0? my topology
>_can_ allow me to connect to either, though I thought I didn't. I
>wonder why I'm on eth0?
>
>I suppose if I used another hostname, I would get a different
>signature. Interesting.
>
>I have a line in atalkd.conf:
>eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.97
>
>So I should be on eth0/192.168.110.210, right? ServerInfo also
>reports the AppleTalk address is net 65280, Node :97, socket :128. I
>don't see any relationship with the above server signature....
>
>Just curious...
>
>Now, overall (with exception I'll mention later) I have no problems.
>I have one server, so my involvement in this thread is minimal (and
>quite trivial).
>
>The only problem I have is with passwords. I had made a presentation
>to my LUG on the installation of Netatalk based on Anders
>Brownworth's method. I had sucessfully installed Netatalk+asun
>v.2.1.4 and had authentication and users homes show up sucessfully.
>The distro on the demo machine was the same though some of the
>packages _had_ been updated (glibc).
>
>I installed the same distro (same CD's) on our box I am referencing
>above. However, when I installed netatalk I didn't have password
>checking (Netatalk didn't authenticate registered users). Since, I
>have installed an RPM and am back to normal, but what would be a
>reason Netatalk would authenticate on one box and not the other? That
>is, where should I start looking?
>
>Distro: RH6.0 both using PAM and both netatalk installations have PAM
>uncommented out in the root Makefile.
>
>Thanks!
>
>-Wes
>--
>-Wes Yates
>Arts Engraving
>704-523-5115
>[email-masked]
>
>"It is now safe to shut off your computer"
>
>Yes. Fitting last words.
>

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.

---

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 12:20:01 -0500

>The server signature, at least for me, is not the same as my hostid. 
>It appears to be based off that however.
>
>What do you get when you type in "hostid" at a command prompt?  On 
>my machines, that is what appeared to be related to my IP address. 
>Then the server signature was slightly different and, yes, repeats a 
>bunch of times till it comes up with a 128 bit server sig.  (Each 
>hex digit is worth 4 bits.--Wow, something useful from learning 
>assembly language.  Oh my god!)
>

root $ hostid
bash: hostid: command not found

Oh well. No prob. Hrmmmmm. Thanks anyhow!!!!

-- 
-Wes Yates
Arts Engraving
704-523-5115
[email-masked]

Yes. Fitting last words.