Subject: Help! Deskjet w/o ghostscript?

From: Nick Sayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 00:12:50 -0700 (PDT)

I have a Deskjet 812C hooked up to a FreeBSD machine running
netatalk (this printer has printed from Samba just fine in
the past). I don't want to use ghostscript to print to it,
because the quality of images, well, sucks. :-(

I have installed the USB/AT driver on my iBook, and figured out
to put "printer\:Deskwriter" in the papd.conf file. At this
point, the problem is that attempts to print cough up a
dialog box that says "An error has occurred, ID = -50".
That's it. No actual helpful data or anything. :-(

Nothing helpful shows up in syslog, and if I send a file with
pap, it works. So what does the Deskjet driver want that
papd doesn't have?

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 11:52:53 +0200

>pap, it works. So what does the Deskjet driver want that

Bidirectional talking with the printer, I suspect.
I had the same problem with an old DeskWriter 510. I gave up. HP drivers suck, instead of an error or anything useful, they simply bomb my system.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 16:30:27 +1000

I seem to have seen this on the list before, but I can't find a
searchable archive of recent postings.

 We have a user (OS9 on late model Imacs) trying to copy a folder
containing a number of folders and large files. Their machine freezes up
early in the process. The same copy local imac to imac or to a ASIP
server sitting next to the NetAtalk server works fine. The only thing in
the log on the Linux NetATalk logs is a connection timmed out error for
that clients connection.

 I can copy large folders to the server fine. The only difference is
that the slowest part of my link is the 10mb to the client machine,
where as the user having troubles has to share 10mb for his entire
building to the backbone that connects to my building where the servers
live.

 The Server is a mostly RH 6.2 box (I replaced the kernel), dual PII
600, UW scsi disks running 39b NetAtalk.

 It looks like some sort of bad handling of network congestion, and what
ever the problem is the genuine Apple ASIP server can handle the
situation correctly.

-- 
Matthew Geier			[email-masked]
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713
Sydney University