Subject: .AppleDouble, .AppleDesktop, dbpath= variable?

From: Paul Keck <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 22:30:28 -0500

Hi all, if this is in the archives I'm too stupid to find it.  I am setting
up a Redhat 6.1 box with both netatalk and samba.  Users can look at their
own home dirs, and there is a Shared dir which people in the @users group
can see from samba and netatalk just fine.  Everything is pretty
good, except that netatalk creates the nice .AppleDouble and .AppleDesktop
dirs littered all over the place.  

I know why they exist, so that's not why I'm complaining.  I may just shut
off dotfile viewing for the Shared dir so the Sambanites can't see them. 
However, it looks like the dbpath= directive for the AppleVolumes.system
ought to be for the purpose of sticking these damn things off somewhere
else.  Am I wrong?  Here are my share lines in AppleVolumes.system (I renamed
AppleVolumes.default so they just use this):

~
/samba/shared dbpath=/samba/AppleDB access=@users "Shared Area"

This works fine, and I can even stop a user from seeing it by taking him out
of the @users group.  However, it seems to ignore the dbpath= completely,
and blithely puts the .Apple* dirs into the Shared dir.  I've tried mixing
up the order a little, but usually it results in the volume name showing up
as "dbpath=/samba/AppleDB" and no change in behavior.

Do I have it wrong?  Is that not what dbpath is for?  Is there no way to do
what I'm asking?  I hate to turn off dotfiles for samba because I was hoping
to let folks see ALL the files in their home dirs.

I haven't really found any references to what the dbpath is for, except in
the AplleVolumes.default header which says "store the database stuff in the
following path".  Any "code warriors" care to see what the C has to say
about "dbpath"?  I grepped the latest source and didn't find it anywhere.  I
didn't find noadouble either though, so that's about it for me. 
Enlightenment welcome!  Thanks for a great product!

-- 
Paul Keck    [email-masked]            http://www.coe.uga.edu/~pkeck
Univ. of Georgia- College of Education    ftp://ftp.coe.uga.edu/users/pkeck
Office of Information Technology (OIT)	  mailto:[email-masked]
    --Opinions mine, not OIT's.--         Go fighting anomalocaridids!!!

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 22:03:02 -0800

dbpath isn't useful right now. in the future, it will be used to
specify a location for the catalogue database. it pretty much has
nothing to do with .AppleDouble files. just add .Apple* to the veto
list for samba files, and things should be okay.

-a