Subject: Re: Password change=lockout

From: Benjamin Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 17:06:52 -0600

At 1/23/00 8:52 AM, Peter C. Nikolaidis ([email-masked]) 
wrote:

>    After three of my four users have changed their passwords in the past
>few days, they can no longer mount shares via netatalk.  They can connect
>fine with telnet, FTP, samba, etc., just not netatalk.  Is there some cache
>I need to flush or some such?

If you're using the randnum/rand2num UAM (in the AppleTalk login dialog, 
it says "Scrambled", "2-way Scrambled", "Randnum", "2-way Randnum", 
etc.), your netatalk password is *not* your Unix password, because these 
UAMs require that the server have your password in plaintext.  Look at 
the .passwd file in the users' home directories.

If, however, you're using cleartext passwords: if your /etc/passwd (or 
/etc/shadow) is set up to store more than the first 8 characters of 
passwords (using MD5 encryption or somesuch), be aware that AppleShare 
authentication (excluding the new DHX UAM, I believe) doesn't support 
passwords longer than 8 characters.

--Benjamin Gilbert

---

From: "Peter C. Nikolaidis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 23:44:29 -0500

>> I need to flush or some such?
...
> passwords longer than 8 characters.

The AppleTalk dialog does say we're using cleartext, and I have tried
setting the users' passwords to long (9+) and short (8 or less) values, but
nothing seems to work for any user who has changed his password recently.  I
am hesitant to change my own at this point.

Just for kicks, I also nuked and recreated .passwd files in the users' home
directories on the odd chance that I had not set up the system to use shadow
passwords, but that didn't make a difference either.  Regardless of what we
enter, the result is always "Sorry, the password you entered is incorrect.
Please reenter it."

Thanks,

Peter