Subject: netatalk printing problem: need help!

From: "James D. Freels" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 12:28:54 -0400 (EDT)

I have installed the netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6 from Debian/Linux 2.2
(frozen).  I am almost there getting a HP LaserJet IV PS+ to print
over appletalk network on my Linux bos, but am still having some
problems.  The papstatus shows that the printer is found and working
OK.  I get the following error message(s) when trying to print over
appletalk: 

Jul 11 12:04:42 fea papd[7151]: child 7364 for "J. D. Freels HP LaserJet IV" from 5224.41
Jul 11 12:04:42 fea papd[7364]: lp_init: lock: No such file or directory
Jul 11 12:04:42 fea papd[7364]: lp_open failed
Jul 11 12:04:42 fea papd[7151]: child 7364 done

How do I fix this problem.  The printer works find over local, tcp/ip,
and samba as a PS printer.  Do I need to specify a .ppd file at this
machine?  I thought that that was taken care of at the Apple machine?

Help...

-- 
/------------------------------------------------------------------\
|James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D.|Phone:  (865)576-8645  |   | L | A |
|Oak Ridge National Laboratory |FAX:    (865)574-9172  | H | I | L |
|Research Reactors Division    |work e-m: [email-masked] | F | N | P |
|P. O. Box 2008                |home [email-masked]| I | U | H |
|Oak Ridge, TN. 37831-6392     |world's best neutrons  | R | X | A |
\------------------------------------------------------------------/

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:25:19 -0700 (PDT)

> machine?  I thought that that was taken care of at the Apple machine?

Change you papd.conf so it pipes to lpr instead of placing the file in the
spool directory itself.  For example, if you had:

laserjet4:\
	:pr=laser4:

Change to:

laserjet4:\
	:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -Plaser4:

	Andy