Subject: Disk quota problems

From: Marlys Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 14:08:15 -0500

I have version pre-asun2.1.4-39 installed on a Solaris 2.6 box.  It does not
seem to handle disk quotas correctly.

If a user is over quota and they use finder to try and navigate around their
home volume - such as one would do to locate files to delete - everything
"disappears". The files are really still on the server, logging out and in
again makes them appear - until trying to go into another folder or look at a
file.  If a user clicks on a folder within home, a new finder window quickly
appears, you can catch a glimpse of the files and folders, then it blanks out
and stays blank.

Anyone have any ideas?  I'm told this can happen when a user is very near
quota as well. This is making access to our common file system quite difficult
for our mac users.

-- 
Marlys A. Nelson                      Sr. Network Specialist
Information Technology Services       Network Services
University of Wisconsin - River Falls 715/425-4357
410 South Third Street                Email: [email-masked]
River Falls  WI  54022                http://www.uwrf.edu/

---

From: Keith Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:44:44 +0100

>quota as well. This is making access to our common file system quite difficult

Is it possible that these users have created files in their home 
volume using other OSs on your common file system?

Netatalk will, by default, try to create directories (.AppleDouble) 
to store resource forks and other information whenever you browse 
into a directory created under Unix or Samba. I guess that if you're 
over quota it can't make these directories and then you're in trouble.

There's an runtime option ( noappledouble ) to make the creation of 
these directories lazy - that is, deferred until it's needed to 
actually store something. Here we tried adding this line to the 
AppleVolumes.system file -

/export61/temp_atalk_test "Atalk Test" codepage=maccode.iso8859-1 
options=noadouble access=keithc,tom,simon

but then had problems uploading files which had MacOS 'comment' 
fields in them. This was with 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on Debian linux  - this 
version is quite old - installed from a debian package & I can't put 
my finger on the "preXX" part of the version number - you may have 
more luck with something newer. Or I may have done something else 
wrong :(

regards
Keith Clarke