Subject: Dumb newbie question

From: [email-masked] (Lee Blevins)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:20:46 -0400

When I have users go to the chooser and log onto my netatalk server I
noticed that:

1. Users see thier home dir and not others.
2. Users see all other dirs

What I'd like to happen is for a user to see only the dirs I want them
to and none of the others.

I'm sure this has something to do with users/groups and permissions but
I'm not that strong on unix.

Could someone suggest some settings or where I might look to learn this?

BTW: Our Freebsd box running netatalk outperforms our NT box hands down.
It's faster, it's more stable, has longer uptime and does more.

---

From: Crystal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:18:14 -0500

> I'm not that strong on unix.

Hi Lee,

What volumes appear to users is controlled by either the global AppleVolumes
files (usually in /etc/atalk) or you can add a .AppleVolumes file to each
users directory to customize the volumes to which they have access.

Do a 'man afpd' to read how Netatalk presents users with volume choices and
how you can modify its behavior.

-- 
Crystal Morillo
[email-masked]

The Kinkaid School - www.kinkaid.org

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 07:39:32 -0700 (PDT)

> I'm not that strong on unix.

I'm not sure exactly which point during the login process you are
referring to above.  Are you talking about the list of available shares
after you have entered your username and password?  Or are you talking
about the directories (folders) which are visible on a share after it has
been mounted?

	Andy