Subject: compile (and other) problems on redhat 6.1

From: Alexander Fordyce <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 02:51:50 -0700

Hi all.

Gawd... who would have thought this would be so difficult?  I haven't 
had this much trouble with anything in years.

I'm trying to install netatalk-1.42b2+asun2.1.3-7 on my Linux (Intel 
RedHat 6.1) box, and I get compile errors.  I have installed DES, 
tcpwrappers, PAM, etc. and I have R'd all the FMs I can find.  I have 
appended the last chunk of the output from "make" below.  I have 
tried every conceivable combination of flags with no success.

In the meantime, I'm using a precompiled binary of 
netatalk+asun2.1.1.  I can login as guest, but for any registered 
user, it says the password is incorrect.  I am using shadow passwords 
on my system, so I downloaded and installed the version for shadow 
passwords.  After coming across this problem in the faq, I actually 
tried the non-shadow version just in case, but it does the same 
thing.

Btw, I have also checked out the afpd getusershell problem mentioned 
in the faq on the netatalk site, but I can't actually find anything 
from LOG_DAEMON on my system (I'm not sure that I know what to look 
for... I've been through everything in /var/log).  /etc/shells has a 
perfectly reasonable list of possible shells in it.  I should note 
that this faq answer stops here -- it doesn't actually say what to do 
to fix the problem!

Ideally, I'd like to get the new version compiled and installed, so 
that's the higher priority.  However, any thoughts about the other 
question would be greatly appreciated as the same problem may well 
crop up if I do get it to compile and install successfully.

Thanks much,
Alex
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Alexander Fordyce
[email-masked]

Output from make:

make -w CC="gcc " ADDLIBS="" DEFS="-DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX -DSHADOWPW 
-DUSE_PAM" \
     OPTOPTS="-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fsigned-char -Wunused 
-Wuninitialized" DESTDIR="/usr/local/atalk" DESDIR="/usr/local" \
     SBINDIR="/usr/local/atalk/etc" BINDIR="/usr/local/atalk/bin" 
RESDIR="/usr/local/atalk/etc" \
     ETCDIR="/usr/local/atalk/etc" LIBDIR="/usr/local/atalk/lib" 
INCDIR="/usr/local/atalk/include" \
     PAMDIR="/usr" TCPWRAPDIR="/usr" \
     DB2DIR="" \
     KRBLIBS="${KRBLIBS}" KRBLIBDIRS="${KRBLIBDIRS}" \
     KRBINCPATH="${KRBINCPATH}" KRBDEFS="${KRBDEFS}" \
     AFSLIBS="${AFSLIBS}" AFSLIBDIRS="${AFSLIBDIRS}" \
     DESLIBS="${DESLIBS}" DESLIBDIRS="${DESLIBDIRS}" \
     PAMLIBS="${PAMLIBS}" PAMLIBDIRS="${PAMLIBDIRS}" \
     TCPWRAPLIBS="${TCPWRAPLIBS}" TCPWRAPLIBDIRS="${TCPWRAPLIBDIRS}" \
     DB2LIBS="${DB2LIBS}" DB2LIBDIRS="${DB2LIBDIRS}" \
     DESINCPATH="${DESINCPATH}" DESDEFS="${DESDEFS}" \
     PAMINCPATH="${PAMINCPATH}" PAMDEFS="${PAMDEFS}" \
     AFSINCPATH="${AFSINCPATH}" AFSDEFS="${AFSDEFS}" \
     DB2INCPATH="${DB2INCPATH}" \
     afpd
make[4]: Entering directory `/usr/local/src/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/etc/afpd'
gcc  -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX -DSHADOWPW -DUSE_PAM   -DUAM_RNDNUM -O2 
-fomit-frame-pointer -fsigned-char -Wunused -Wuninitialized 
-I../../include   -I/usr/local/include   -DUSE_PAM -DAPPLCNAME  -o 
afpd unix.o afs.o kuam.o send_to_kdc.o lifetime.o ofork.o main.o 
switch.o auth.o volume.o directory.o file.o enumerate.o desktop.o 
filedir.o fork.o appl.o gettok.o bprint.o status.o afp_options.o 
afp_asp.o afp_dsi.o messages.o config.o nfsquota.o codepage.o 
-L../../libatalk    -L/usr/local/lib   -latalk   -ldes   -lwrap -lpam 
-ldl
nfsquota.o: In function `getnfsquota':
nfsquota.o(.text+0x153): undefined reference to `xdr_getquota_rslt'
nfsquota.o(.text+0x15c): undefined reference to `xdr_getquota_args'
/usr/lib/libwrap.a(hosts_access.o): In function `host_match':
hosts_access.o(.text+0x400): undefined reference to `yp_get_default_domain'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [afpd] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/etc/afpd'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/etc/afpd'
make[2]: *** [afpd] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/etc'
make[1]: *** [../../etc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/sys/linux'
make: *** [all] Error 2
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

---

From: Rusty Carruth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1990 15:28:04 -0700

Alexander Fordyce wrote:
...
> tried every conceivable combination of flags with no success.

I had the same problem.  I went and found netatalk-1.4.b2+asun2.1.4
and it worked just fine (after I got libdes installed, of course).
Forget where I got it from, sorry!  (Its already expired from my
history files)

> tried the non-shadow version just in case, but it does the same

My solution for that was found in the info that says that you need
a ~netatalkUser/.passwd (or .password, I forget) file that has
their unencrypted password in it.  Created said file, started working
fine.

---

From: "Alexander Fordyce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 13:24:39 -0700

Thanks for the tip... although I still can't get it to work (tried both
.passwd and .password).  Where was this info that you read?  I've been
through the man pages and I can't find it.

Also, I can't find 2.1.4.  If you remember where you got it, feel free to
let me know.

Thanks much,
Alex

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 14:07:11 -0700 (PDT)

Go to:

ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing/

	Andy

---

From: "Alexander Fordyce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:19:52 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: andrew morgan [mailto:[email-masked]]
>
> Go to:

Thanks!  Got it.

I looked in the makefile and saw that it was set to use openssl, which is
cool, because I'm already using that.  So I left it the way it was, and it
compiled and installed without incident.

I'm still having the same problem though... inability to login as anyone but
guest.  Again, I've tried the solutions I've found in various faqs with no
success.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> Behalf Of Rusty Carruth
>

I can't find this info anywhere.  Can anyone point me in the direction of
this or other documentation that might give me more info?

Thanks,
Alex

- - - - - - - - - -
Alexander Fordyce
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Hans-Peter Jansen)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 03:10:00 +0200

> guest.  Again, I've tried the solutions I've found in various faqs with no

What I'm doing in such cases, is stracing afpd:
strace -fo .trc -p afpd-id

This way, I found out, that some libs where missing on my SuSE 6.3 systems,
when changing from 2.1.3 to 2.1.4-39. Namely /lib/libpwdb.so.0*,
/lib/security/pam_pwcheck.so and /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so.
Luckily, I found them on SuSE 6.4.

Hans-Peter

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 08:39:53 -0700 (PDT)

> tried every conceivable combination of flags with no success.

Better late than never...  Maybe you've already fixed this or given up,
but you need to add "-lnsl" to the AFPLIBS line in the sys/linux/Makefile
of the netatalk source.  This is a known bug in the asun2.1.3 source which
is fixed in the asun2.1.4 pre-releases.

	Andy