Subject: Re: AppleShare Protocol - Good Book?

From: "Tom Watson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:33:52 -0800

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:10:14 -0400 (EDT), [email-masked] wrote:
> Is there a definitive book on the AppleShare protocol that anyone would
> like to reccommend? I'm going to undertake the monumental task of hacking
> away at the Netatalk code and a good Apple protocol book is in order.
> 
> Thanks, folks.
> -Dan

I don't know if it is still in print, or not, but Apple's _Inside AppleTalk_
is around.  I have the first edition (I suppose a rareity).  There is
at least a second edition that describes "phase 2" networks.  As mentioned
in another post, the Apple Developers site has additional information.

A search on one of the bookseller's sites should yield some good books.

The reason I got the 1st edition, is that the 2nd edition was coming/came
out and Apple has some "extras".  I guess there is some goodies one can
get, even as a contractor!!

p.s.  If you decide to hack away, get something that can look at the
packets on the wire.  Usually they have decoding modules that can show
how clients/servers SHOULD interpret the packets.
-- 
Tom Watson         Generic short signature
[email-masked]     (I'm at home now)