Subject: Beta documentation on Unifying Linux, WindowsNT/98, and Macs

From: Thien Vu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:43:11 -0800 (PST)

I have written up some documentation on how to unify a secured
authentication mechanism for Linux, WindowsNT/98 and Macs. Most of this
document is written from memory, so it might contain some errors, but for
the most part, it should be correct. If you could review it and point out
any corrections or improvements, it would be really helpful. Well, let her
rip... http://ac.housing.berkeley.edu/~thien/network.html

Good luck,

Thien Vu
Rookie systems administrator =)

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:16:54 +1000

Ok, what is this option really supposed to do ?.

 It doesnt appear to work.

 I have afpd running happly on a Digital Unix machine. However as there
is no AppleTalk available its a ASIP only server. As a result it doesn't
show up in chooser.
 The Digital machine is our webserver, and fortunatly most people
updating web pages can cope with the 'server ip address' button.

 The proxy option looks like a way to use another server to get the
non-appletalk capable one to show in chooser. However while it made the
name show up in the chooser (along with the other machines real name)
trying to log into it, just logged into the machine serving the name, it
did not 'proxy' for the other server.

 I tried reading the source code, but it wasnt enlightening. I appears
to me the 'feature' is only partially implemented at the moment.

 What does the 'proxy' option do ? (Or what will it do?)

-- 
Matthew Geier			[email-masked]
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713
Sydney University