Subject: Error -5018 revisited, AFP 1.1 vs. AFP 2.1

From: "Tom Watson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 22:08:35 -0800

In attempting to find out the "problem" that prompts my error -5018
I did a little investgating.  Mentioned here was 'strace' (which I
didn't know about, wonderful tool).  Found out some things:

Client #1 (original problem) Really AppleTalk PC running on a DOS
          box:

This tries to log into the Linux box and gets an error -5018.  Looking
at the system calls, I see that one of the things that 'afpd' does in
this case is a 'statfs' on the home directory, followed by a bunch
of stat's on the disk devices (like /dev/hda5 for example).  Eventually
it comes down to a 'quotactl' system call, which (on my system) gives
an error return (ENOPKG, Package not installed).  It seems I don't have
quotas.  Looking thru the source, it appears that ANY error return from
this system call trips things up, and (I assume) eventually causes the
'-5018' error.

Now the 'wierd' part:
Client #2 (A Quadra 840AV running 7.6.1):

This machine sucessfully logs into the Linux box, the same box.  In the
system trace, I see NO 'quotactl' calls AT ALL.  It seems that there is
a whole section that isn't executed when this client runs.

Client #1 identifies as AFS 1.1, client #2 identifies as AFS 2.1.
My next step is to modify 'afpd' to check the error return from the
'quotactl' system call to see if that really is the problem.  Film/Video
at 11.

Does this lend some insight into the 'problem' (if any).
-- 
Tom Watson         Generic short signature
[email-masked]     (I'm at home now)

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 13:09:23 +0200

>Does this lend some insight into the 'problem' (if any).

Uhm, you may try to set -DNEED_QUOTACTL_WRAPPER in sys/linux/Makefile and recompile. Perhaps that helps?

:wq! PoC