Subject: Printing troubles from MAC under Solaris 2.5.1 through a SUN Server

From: "Diego Fantoma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 13:04:20 +0200

Dear sirs, I'm trying to configure net-a-talk for printing from MAC to
printers that doesn't have Appletalk protocol and are connected only to a
SUN server with Solaris 2.5.1.
Printers are connected to the server through a private subnet different from
which I employed for MACs.
If I try to print from server with (note that my printer is named printer5):

lp -d printer5 filename

or

lpr -Pprinter5 filename

everything goes well and MACs can correctly access to the file sharing
provided by net-a-talk.

I tried with several configuration versions of papd.conf and I reached some
result (but still several errors...) using the two following configuration
files:

First version:

/etc/printcap:

printer5:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lp:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=hpcol:

/usr/local/atalk/etc/papd.conf:

testprn:\
        :pr=printer5:pd=/usr/local/atalk/etc/LaserWriter.ppd:

Second version (after reading
http://www.mtusysadm.mtu.edu/mtudocs/netatalk/ ) :

/usr/local/atalk/etc/papd.conf:

testprn:\

:pr=|/usr/ucb/lpr -Pprinter5:op=daemon:pd=/usr/local/atalk/etc/LaserWriter.p
pd:

In the first case I obtain these errors looking at the /usr/adm/messages
file:

May  4 11:42:01 intranet papd[4618]: lp_conn_unix connect /dev/printer: No
such file or directory
May  4 11:42:01 intranet papd[4618]: lp_print: lp_conn_unix: Resource
temporarily unavailable

In the second case I obtain the following error trying to auto setup the
printer or printing from MAC:

May  4 12:27:21 intranet papd[4702]: child 4705 killed with 11

In both cases I view the printer listed in the chooser menu, but in the
second case I can't setup the driver 'cause the process will be killed.

Thanks in advance,

Diego Fantoma
C.S. Facoltà di Psicologia
Università di Trieste
V. S. Anastasio, 12
34134 Trieste
Tel. 040.676.2715 - fax 040.452.8022

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 19:02:20 +0200

At 13:04 Uhr +0200 04.05.2000, Diego Fantoma wrote:

>I'm trying to configure net-a-talk for printing

You didn't refer to the version you are using.
Always provide exact information.

>May  4 11:42:01 intranet papd[4618]: lp_print: lp_conn_unix: Resource

papd is used to kick the spool file directly into the path mentioned in /etc/printcap. If one doesn't use classic BSD printing, it simply won't work.

Use something like "pr=|lp -d printer5" in your papd.conf to get your job piped through standard unix print tools to the pinting mechanism.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 13:31:05 -0400 (EDT)

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
   Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 19:02:20 +0200

On that score, how does one determine the installed version?  I think I
know what version I'm running, based on install date, but I can't
confirm it because atalkd doesn't seem to support any sort of --version
or -h option.

					-- Bob Rogers

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 07:55:35 +0200

>confirm it because atalkd doesn't seem to support any sort of --version

Version information is printed at startup into the syslog.

:wq! PoC