Subject: Please help: long filenames not showing up

From: "Andy Nguyen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 13:42:45 -0500

Hi, I'm new to the list and netatalk, but I've fallen in love with it!

The only thing I can't figure out right now is how to get files with
long filenames to show up.  I know that MacOS has a limit of 31
characters for files, but some of the files I'm accessing are longer
than that.  Is there a way to get netatalk to truncate or morph the
filenames so they at least will show up?

I appreciate any help on this.

Andy Nguyen
[email-masked]

---

From: "Heath Henderson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 18:00:14 -0500

I have a server we have just set to do a large portion of Apple File
services.  The problem is, I have a class that will also be using this
machine as a FrontPage Web server.  Now I have everything working great with
one Nic (eth0) but when I add the second (eth1)  I lose almost everything if
not everything.  I have tried editing the atalkd.conf and afpd.conf, but
don't know exactly what I should be putting in these.  What I want to do is
shut the appletalk off on one of the cards (eth1 for example) and only run
IP over it.  Then Appletalk and IP will be available on the other eth0 for
the Macs to use all to themselves.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to
do this, I would be very grateful.

Heath Henderson

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 07:12:28 -0400

Andy,

	I hate to give you this answer, and someone may know 
something else that will disprove me, but as far as I can tell, there 
is no way to truncate files.  You have to let your windows and linux 
users know not to go over 31 characters.

	Ryan

>[email-masked]

__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
__________________________________
If you want to achieve excellence, you can get there today. As of 
this second, quit doing less-than-excellent work.
-Thomas Watson, founder of IBM

---

From: Mike Fedyk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 19:17:14 -0700

This is a sad state to be in.

I could write a script that would walk through the directories and
find files/directories that are over 31 chars, running from a cronjob.

Has anyone looked at the code that creates the short names in samba? 
Maybe something like that could be done.

Mike