Subject: tracking appletalk conections

From: "victor brito" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 13:37:42 +0200

Hi all,

	I have recently setup a linux box running netatalk to share CDROMs. All
apple clients use DDP to connect to this server. Everything runs as expected
except the following issue :
The CD Volumes can't be unmounted while some files remains opened by afpd
processes.
Of course, there is no workaround for this except stopping the afpd child
process that owns the file. Before doing so , I would like to retrieve some
information about the apple client associated to the afpd child process.

I have unsuccessfully tried the following ideas :
- using netstat to get at least all the client's appletalk addresses
(Does -Addp option really work ???)
- looking inside /proc/<<afpd id>>/fd for any socket file descriptor that
would lead me to a remote address.
  There is in fact a symbolic link that points to a socket. I have tried to
know more about it thanks to its inode number. I expected to find relevant
information about this socket inside /proc/net/appletalk but the file lacks
from inode information.
I would also like to understand why remote_addr is always 0000:00:00 inside
/proc/net/appletalk while local_addr seems good.

Any idea would be appreciated.
Thanks

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 23:41:00 -0700

A great many people have posted in the past how they are using netatalk
servers in genuine production environments. This puzzles me, simply because,
as much as I like netatalk, it still lacks one MAJOR feature which, in my
opinion, renders it near unusable in a heavy production environment - alias
support.

Even under pre-37, alias' for sub-folders will break and not remain attached
from session to session. Most user's I know heavily rely on alias' to
utilize server volumes - hence, I do not find it possible to deploy netatalk
servers in such environments, no matter how much I want to, because the
server is nearly unusable with alias support.

Apple's ASIP (of course) as well as Windows NT have no problems. Novell's
Netware (which is genuine crap) and netatalk don't handle alias' reliably.

My question, to those of you that DO use netatalk in production environments
- how do you do it? How do you deal with the alias issue, and what
work-arounds have you found for your users (no, telling them they can't use
alias' is NOT an answer....)

I'm really curious, as myself, and several IT friends of mine keep having
these discussions, and regardless how much we really want to deploy
netatalk, our hands are tied by the workflow of our users.

I know the problem hs to do with persistent IDs, but why can Win NT handle
it, and what's the issue with netatalk not being able to?

Harry

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 22:43:51 +1200

One of our premiere products is a WindowsNT to Linux Upgrade which 
has gathered a huge amount of 'word of mouth' momentum. Our netatalk 
servers pummell NT 4.x servers by 300%, and also outperform 
Windows2000 Server by 12-15%.

Before we sell one of these upgrades, we ALWAYS make the client aware 
of the following:
- Print Spooling is not an option at this stage. Turn on the spooling 
in your Fiery RIP.
- Freehand files saved directly to the server don't keep their links. 
Save locally and copy.
- Aliases only work to a volume, not to folders inside a volume.

So, you get to keep your WindowsNT server at 3.0MB/sec, Windows2000 
at 7.5MB/sec....or......
if you don't mind the above, get a shiny new speed penguin at a full 9.5MB/sec!

We haven't had one client say no. They accept the limitations and 
fall in love with the speed rush.
We now manage over 20 servers in production environments, with 1-2 
going in every week.

>it still lacks one MAJOR feature which, in my
support.

>server is nearly unusable with alias support.

People have different priorities. To me, a server running under 
8MB/sec is nearly unusable. Alias support would be icing on the cake, 
but it is not a showstopper not having it.
I remember when Macs didn't have aliases, people still used their macs.

>netatalk, our hands are tied by the workflow of our users.

I guess it depends how you approach it. "Mr customer, do you want 
9MB/sec on your Mac from the server, you can't use aliases, but you 
can open a 40MB scan in 5 seconds as opposed to 20 seconds."

>it, and what's the issue with netatalk not being able to?

========================================================

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer."
		Marcus Radich 1999

========================================================

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 18:54:42 +0200

>if you don't mind the above, get a shiny new speed penguin at a full 9.5MB/sec!

This heavily depends on the client. If you all use B/W G3 or faster, there you are.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 18:52:40 +0200

>Netware (which is genuine crap) and netatalk don't handle alias' reliably.

Netware was one of the fastest AppleTalk only Servers (as ASIP wasn't born). Okay, one needed a PC to do comfy administration but it was okay and there may be situations in which it fulfills still ones needs.

>alias' is NOT an answer....)

Hm, I for myself simply won't (or seldom will) use aliases. Neither on the server nor on my local disks. Users at work do it evenly. Perhaps germans don't like aliases ;-)

>it, and what's the issue with netatalk not being able to?

I think it's a question how to implement these in a manner so access to an DID-overview is fast and reliable - and nice to handle from within unix. And how do you handle a suddently missing or added directory (from within samba or unix)?
Adrian has some efforts done.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Sak Wathanasin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 18:24:40 +0100

In reply to Patrik Schindler's message of the 31/05/2000 at 18:52 +0200,

>Hm, I for myself simply won't (or seldom will) use aliases. Neither 
>on the server nor on my local disks. Users at work do it evenly. 
>Perhaps germans don't like aliases ;-)

You may not have a choice: applications may save aliases in their 
data or pref files. Eg I think Quark Express does this when you embed 
links to other docs. This is compounded by the fact that this is 
Apple-recommended practice (to save aliases rather than pathnames).
-- 
Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited
178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

Internet: [email-masked]
Phone: (+44) 24 76 41 99 96        Mobile: (+44) 79 70 75 19 12 
Fax: (+44) 24 76 69 06 90

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 19:53:00 +0200

>Apple-recommended practice (to save aliases rather than pathnames).

Yes, you're right.
Fortunately I'm not using such appls :-)

:wq! PoC

---

From: Ron Chmara <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:36:26 -0700

> opinion, renders it near unusable in a heavy production environment - alias

Hm. Other demand file-locking. Others demand a JFS platform. To each their
own, I guess.

> utilize server volumes -

The volumes themselves, yes.

> alias' is NOT an answer....)

Well, if your users are running the show, I suppose you should use whatever
they want you to use? :-) Seriously, though, certain things have _always_
been considered "not best practice" in one environment I admin for, and using
aliases (which can point to the wrong volume, server, or job) is one of
them. So they work without aliases. Files are organized well, so the use
of aliases becomes redundant at best, and a time waster at worst. Example:

/dailes (Mounted Volume)
--/41278
--/41280

/archive-prep (Mounted Volume)
--/31245
--/31790

To get to their active jobs folder is *one* alias, to a volume, or a direct
mount. From there they pick their active job.

> netatalk, our hands are tied by the workflow of our users.

Well, if you're just selling hardware, them's the breaks...

If you're selling _workflows_ on hardware, then that's a different set of
rules.

-Ron

--
Brought to you from boop!, the dual boot Linux/Win95 Compaq Presario 1625
laptop, currently running RedHat 6.1. Your bopping may vary.

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 07:06:11 +1200

>Fortunately I'm not using such appls :-)

This is *not* the case with QuarkXPress. Any files with embedded 
links saved to a netatalk server will retain those links from session 
to session - there is no problem with asun37b. Freehand is the only 
app with a problem. 99% of our customers use Quark on a daily basis, 
and they have no complaints! (We did have to tickle the makefile to 
get it to work with OS9/G4s)
However, if you do use an app which ONLY stores the alias as a file 
reference, you will have problems. QuarkXPress, Photoshop, 
Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and 
Filemaker don't have this issue. Tried and tested in over 20 sites.

mrad01

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 14:34:27 -0500 (CDT)

Are these tweaks, changes and mods incorporated into a new
version of Netatalk on a frequent enough basis? Is Adrian Sun the only
person who maintains the Netatalk program any longer?

By the way, where has he been? He used to post quite frequently and I have
not seen a posting in quite a long time.

It appears that the folks at the University of Michigan now view Netatalk
as an open source program. Frankly, I use the program and am excited about
its potential, but am not pleased with the documentation and
updating issues surrounding Netatalk. It appears the archives of the
mailing list are *way* out of date as well.

I realize it is a free program and am mostly satisfied with the results
I've had using the program. I too want to roll this product out on a much
larger scale than I have already, but it just isn't ready for prime time
yet. I only wish my programming skills were up to snuff so that I could
contribute in a positive manner.

I'm complaining out of frustration, folks. I really hope to someday be
serving 200+ Mac clients of my Linux boxes using Netatalk:-)

Daniel E. Lautenschleger
University of Wisconsin
R.M. Bock Laboratories
Network Administrator and Computer Support
[email-masked]
608.262.3403

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 15:26:15 -0700 (PDT)

> person who maintains the Netatalk program any longer?

There are a few people contributing to parts of netatalk at least.  Andras
Kadinger and I have made some improvements to papd recently, but Adrian is
the only one making substantial changes to afpd that I know of.

> not seen a posting in quite a long time.

I haven't heard a word from him for a while either.  I've submitted some
patches to him directly, but I haven't received any response.  I hope he
is okay!

> mailing list are *way* out of date as well.

The documentation is definately lacking, especially some simple
installation instructions.  Fortunately, this is something netatalk users
without programming experience can contribute!

> serving 200+ Mac clients of my Linux boxes using Netatalk:-)

If Adrian Sun is really out of the picture, maybe we should grab the
latest code and start a site on SourceForge for a more collaborative
development environment...  That would allow the rest of the community to
contribute code and documentation without having to funnel it through
Adrian.

Any thoughts?

	Andy

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 01:15:05 -0400

> From:    andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
> To:      "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>

> contribute code and documentation without having to funnel it through

I don't think Adrian is out of the picture.  We have CVS running, we
can easily put netatalk in it.  Are their contributors out there that
are having a hard time contributing?

:wes

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 00:04:50 -0700

on 5/31/00 09:52, Patrik Schindler at [email-masked] wrote:

> Netware was one of the fastest AppleTalk only Servers (as ASIP wasn't born).
> Okay, one needed a PC to do comfy administration but it was okay and there may
> be situations in which it fulfills still ones needs.

I hardly ever recall Netware being either efficient, or faster/better than
an alternative solution (namely Apple's peer-peer filesharing). Coupled with
the inherent lack of support and customer service from Novell, I would
rather recommend notepad to people than any Novell product - of course, IT
environments still keep deploying it....
 
> Hm, I for myself simply won't (or seldom will) use aliases. Neither on the
> server nor on my local disks. Users at work do it evenly. Perhaps germans
> don't like aliases ;-)

Like I said, the question was not about personal preference, but the reality
that users invariably WILL use aliases, particularly since they have been a
staple of the OS for quite a few years so far...

Not sure about Germans, but Austrians sure *DO* like alias' - I couldn't use
the Mac without them.

> Adrian has some efforts done.

Yes, and Adrian deserves some huge kudos for his efforts - if it were not
for him, netatalk would be an obscure and obsolete technology demonstration
with last decade's technology (how long has it been in beta now, what,
almost how many years).

Harry

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 00:04:50 -0700

on 5/31/00 11:36, Ron Chmara at [email-masked] wrote:

> they want you to use? :-)

Yeah, I know, unlike most IT professionals, I actually make the dreadful
mistake of listening to what my users WANT to use (mostly because it makes
them more productive), and I try to provide them with what they ask for - I
know, I'm violating the cardinal rule of IT support (but I guess that's why
I keep being called back to locations to do the work of the so-called IT
professionals - I'm a consultant) :-)

> Seriously, though, certain things have _always_
> them. 

They don't point to the wrong locations when you use an ASIP server, or even
standard (old) AppleShare.

> So they work without aliases. Files are organized well, so the use
> of aliases becomes redundant at best, and a time waster at worst.

Interesting viewpoint.

> If you're selling _workflows_ on hardware, then that's a different set of

I seel solutions to problems, and that involves giving users what they ask
for.

That's my major obstacle to deploying netatalk.

Harry

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 00:04:50 -0700

on 5/31/00 12:34, Daniel E. Lautenschleger at [email-masked] wrote:

> as an open source program.

They do?

Harry

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 00:04:50 -0700

on 5/31/00 15:26, andrew morgan at [email-masked] wrote:

> If Adrian Sun is really out of the picture

I don't think he is, but lest we forget that most authors have 'day jobs',
and that elusive thing called a 'life'.

Harry

---

From: Ron Chmara <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 01:27:26 -0700

Harry Zink/Netatalk List wrote:
> them more productive),

Hm. I would I say I do things a little differently. Most of my users are
not qualified to know what they want to _use_, however, they are highly
qualified in knowing what they want to _do_.  Otherwise, I'd have separate
servers for each and every user at every site, loaded up with the
latest buzzware, which they never used, because it wasn't what they
really wanted to use....<g>

> and I try to provide them with what they ask for - I

Ah. That would be me as well. :-)

> standard (old) AppleShare.

They most certainly do. They are put on the local desktop and given
names like "stuff". Of course, when "stuff" fails to point to the user's
intended location, it means that the alias is "broken". :-)

More to the point, a pre-press house I used to work in once blew $500 of
bad film, matchprint, *and* missed a press date, because an alias was
pointing to a folder that supposedly held the right data. It did not,
it pointed to an *older* version. This almost cost the company a $120K
client.... hence, their standing rule to _only_ access data by a direct
path, because if the user _had_ gone through the tree, they would have
seen the other folder, titled "•••NEW VERSION HERE!!!!!!".

> I seel solutions to problems, and that involves giving users what they ask

Well, as a possible alternative remedy _and_ value added proposition,
may I suggest trying the following: Rather than focus on dumb alias
entries on the desktop/scattered throughout the machine/lord knows where
(another workflow no-no in my book), look into intelligent applescript/quickkeys
entries for common file access and manipulation tasks. For example, rather
than just an alias to a "group" folder, an applescript that opens
up their standard groupware application, returns to the finder, mounts
the volume, decends the tree into the folder, sorts it by date, and
displays it on screen? Actually, if all you want is folders to open
up a server path, you could just build those into folder actions, as
well...

Oh. Just noticed a post suggesting this is a perms issue... hm. Well,
either way....

-Justmusingawaybop

--
Brought to you from iBop the iMac, a MacOS, Win95, Win98, LinuxPPC machine,
which is currently in MacOS land.  Your bopping may vary.

---

From: Sak Wathanasin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:01:51 +0100

In reply to Ron Chmara's message of the 01/06/2000 at 01:27 -0700,

>seen the other folder, titled "•••NEW VERSION HERE!!!!!!".

It seems to me that it wasn't the alias that was the problem, it was 
caused by whoever created the new version. The thing to do there, 
IMHO, was to dup the original folder, rename it to "copy of the 
mm/dd/yyyy" and put the up-to-date contents where all the aliases 
were pointing. Same as you would do on a Unix system with sym-links.

Rather than ban aliases outright (is making users drill down through 
a dozen or so links that less error-prone?), you could use a chained 
alias. Instead of creating aliases to the final target directly, 
point your aliases (on the users' disks) at an intermediate alias 
called something like "current version" on the server. Then when the 
target moves, you only have to change 1 alias. Again just like you'd 
use sym-links on Unix.

It isn't just the "dumb" users that are the problem; they are under 
immense pressure to get stuff out of the door, and they WILL take any 
shortcuts available to them; it's up to us to make sure that the 
shortcuts work properly.

Internet: [email-masked]

---

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 07:53:57 -0500 (CDT)

That is what I was told in an e-mail to the Netatalk folks at UMich.
-Dan

Daniel E. Lautenschleger
University of Wisconsin
R.M. Bock Laboratories

---

From: John Grieg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 08:28:34 +0100

>environments still keep deploying it....
Before 100Mb networks, MacTCP (Login with Novells "tree") were MUCH faster
than Appletalk.
(At least 2 times, but also a lot faster when print spooling)

But it had some of the same problems as Netatalk.

JG

[email-masked]

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 09:22:13 -0700

> Before 100Mb networks, MacTCP (Login with Novells "tree") were MUCH faster

That advantage went away as soon as Apple supported IP, heck it went away as
soon as the Mac had ethernet 2.

> But it had some of the same problems as Netatalk.

Nothing's as bad as Novell (lack of) support for Mac Clinets. They talk a
good show, but inn the end, the Mac gets Zero support. The best thing to
happen was the Mac Client by ProComm (I think), which now recently got
absorbed back into Novell - meaning you can pretty much write off any
improvements to it.

Harry

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 09:37:11 +1000

This thread has seen one interesting side effect, more traffic in this
list than I have seen for some time.

 Even so, NetAtalk to me appears to be dying a slow death. Compared to
Samba, NetAtalk is already dead.

 Only one person is now working on the code, and they obviously have a
day job and other things to do.
 NetAtalk it self appears to be suffering from implementing the spec and
not what really happens. While its amazing that it works as well as it
does, it does appear to have been written of a protocol spec document
and not sniff of the protocol. The Samba people found losts of cases
where the CIFS spec was vague or wrong and found the 'correct' behaviour
with tcpdump. :-). I can only assume Apple's documentation is lots
better than Microsoft's and that Asun can implement the documents well.

 In the experiments ive done so far, in my effors to get a large
university faculty to move to a server based environment instead of
waisting a lot of time trying to retrospect 500+ workstations. (It
doesn't scale at all).
 So far i've found that attempting to copy large amounts of data from an
8.6 and 9.0.x mac when there is a 'slow' link between the server and the
client (ie 100Mb ISL trunks) or 155mb ATM) the client machine locks up.
This does not happen when the machine is in the same building, thus has
100mb clear (in the switch fabric) to the server.

 We also have an ASIP 6.2 server. Not only does the client not lock up,
its faster. A 266Mhz G3 with ASIP 6.3, and standard SCSI is faster than
a dual PIII 600 linux/netAtalk server with onboard 2940UW and UW scsi
drives....

 I could provide ethernet captures of the transactions with each server
if I though any one would be able to do something with the information.
More than once in the past I provided captures to the Samba team and
assited in tracking down obscure bugs...

-- 
Matthew Geier			[email-masked]
Arts IT Unit			+61 2 9351 4713
Sydney University

---

From: John Grieg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 12:21:42 +0100

>a dual PIII 600 linux/netAtalk server with onboard 2940UW and UW scsi

There has been some people telling that they move 500 MB/minute to/from(?)
a Linux server
from Macs.

I am doing about half that with large files.

Is this slow compared to an Apple Server?

[email-masked]

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 07:26:45 -0700

> a dual PIII 600 linux/netAtalk server with onboard 2940UW and UW scsi

This is something that I have found to be correct as well, at least in small
benchmarks involving up to 5 clients. We had a shoot-out at one point
between ASIP, linux+netatalk, Win NT and Netware. They ended up, in
declining speeds, in the above order (over 10base-T).

ASIP was surprisingly the fastest of the bunch, followed by netatalk.
Windows NT was factor of 2x slower, and we interrupted the Netware benchmark
when it was 10x slower, and there was no end in sight (a combination of
large and smaller files was sent, from a 600+ mb folder).

My concern has always been the system scaling to support large numbers of
stations, but if you are dealing with 500+ clients, then that appears to be
less of an issue.

Nevertheless, I believe that your comments regarding the death of netatalk
are both premature, if not unfair. While netatalk has very much been
languishing for years with no significant enhancements to version
1.33/1.42b, asun has done a marvelous job resurrecting it, and turning it
into a very effective, and very capable tool - and juggling to implement as
much of the specs (including taking into consideration real-world issues) as
he can.

While you are correct that Adrian has a day-job, he works for a vendor that
provides, amongst other, servers with netatalk capabilities (*) - hence,
there is a reason for him to keep enhancing netatalk, and hopefully such
enhancements will be shared with the public version. It is, after all, in
Cobalt's best interest to provide a better netatalk - unless they subscribe
to the Netware/Novell mentality of marginalizing the Mac platform...

Anyway, good comments, and a good thread overall.

Harry

(*) Which brings me to a question I asked earlier that has gone unanswered:
Are there any improvements in the netatalk that ships with Cobalt boxes, and
does anyone know?

---

From: Leo Wierzbowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 11:16:30 -0400

Greetings,

I'm trying to diagnose the dropping of afp over tcp/ip connections
between g3/g4 running os 8.6/9.0.4 and netatalk asun2.1.4.37b on RH 6.0.
 
Does anyone see a clue in the following log messages:

Jun  7 01:40:52 dogbert afpd[29165]: login macload (uid 503, gid 503)
Jun  7 02:08:51 dogbert afpd[29165]: dsi_stream_read(-1): Connection 
reset by peer
Jun  7 02:08:51 dogbert afpd[29165]: dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe
Jun  7 02:08:51 dogbert PAM_pwdb[29165]: (netatalk) session closed 
for user macload
Jun  7 02:08:51 dogbert afpd[29165]: dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe
Jun  7 02:08:51 dogbert afpd[29165]: 2775.27KB read, 236071.57KB written

Here's another:

Jun  7 07:46:56 dogbert afpd[31240]: login macload (uid 503, gid 503)
Jun  7 08:15:08 dogbert afpd[31240]: dsi_stream_send: Broken pipe
Jun  7 08:15:08 dogbert afpd[31240]: afp_read: Broken pipe
Jun  7 08:15:08 dogbert afpd[31240]: dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe
Jun  7 08:15:08 dogbert PAM_pwdb[31240]: (netatalk) session closed 
for user macload
Jun  7 08:15:08 dogbert afpd[31240]: dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe
Jun  7 08:15:08 dogbert afpd[31240]: 3942.41KB read, 56366.79KB written

Thanks in advance for any tips, pointers ...

-- 

Sincerely,
Leo Wierzbowski

"The University of Florida does not endorse or disendorse the
 content of this document.  It is the author's private opinion."

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 09:19:43 -0700 (PDT)

> Jun  7 02:08:51 dogbert afpd[29165]: 2775.27KB read, 236071.57KB written

I don't know what is going on, but I don't think it is a problem with
netatalk specifically.  Digging into the relevant code:

dsi_stream_read calls the standard POSIX read function.  It returns -1 on
an error and sets errno.  In the log above, we see "dsi_stream_read(-1):
Connection reset by peer", which indicates that the other end of the
tcp/ip connection either timed out or closed the connection with a
standard tcp/ip FIN/ACK packet.

The "dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe" means that it tried to write to a
socket whose reading end is closed, which makes sense from the
dsi_stream_read error above it.

Do you only have this problem with certain client machines, or does it
happen to all of them?  Are there any Apple updates for the networking on
these machines?

	Andy

---

From: Leo Wierzbowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 13:00:39 -0400

> standard tcp/ip FIN/ACK packet.

Thanks!

-- 

Sincerely,
Leo Wierzbowski

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 10:10:37 -0700 (PDT)

> > standard tcp/ip FIN/ACK packet.

Small correction to the above.  I should have said "timed out or closed
the connection *without* a standard tcp/ip FIN/ACK packet."

	Andy

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 07:28:04 +1200

>Is this slow compared to an Apple Server?

Hi.

Concerning server speeds, we have found through extensive tests that 
you can build Linux/netatalk boxes which out perform ASIP, WinNT, and 
Win2000 by a significant margin. PCs are about getting the 'bits' 
(Processor, Motherboard, Ethernet etc) to work properly together. We 
have struck a formula with Intel Lancewood motherboards and various 
other parts which work very well as a Linux/netatalk server. The same 
hardware running WinNT or 2000 performs very well, but not as well as 
netatalk.
As for ASIP, it is very fast because the hardware you run it on is 
already 'tuned', but if you know what you are doing, you can get 
netatalk to run faster - esp when you start to have large 
groups/heavy users. We have proven this time and time again to people 
who 'only want Apple hardware', or 'will only deploy Windows NT in 
our load balancing group due to support standards in our office 
group', and other such comical IT speak.

mrad01

---

From: Ron Chmara <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 12:41:40 -0700

John Grieg wrote:
> a Linux server from Macs.

Yup. Comparison page:
http://www.opus1.com/ron/asipstats.html

The fastest one on there could move 532MB per minute, through a single
NIC. (It's a single NIC test). With  2 or 3 NICs, you could easily
hit that.... as always, feel free to send in your own stats, as the more
complete you can make this chart, the better we can see what real
world conditions are like.

> Is this slow compared to an Apple Server?

ApppleshareIP servers are tuned for one thing, and one thing only...
Where most linux servers have lots of open ports, cheap NIC's, slow
drives, etc.etc. It's an issue of how a server is built, hardware
wise and software wise, and how it's tuned.

-Bop

---

From: "Bryan Stalcup" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 01:36:04 -0400

So what other 'bits' besides the Lancewood motherboards do you recommend?

> netatalk

---
bryan stalcup
[email-masked]

---

From: Jonathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 16:25:04 +1000

FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE.

Starting Netatalk gives

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:shared object "libwrap.so.2" not found.

Any clues?

Jonathan.
---
Jonathan Elliott
Technical Officer
Faculty of Arts, University of Tasmania
Ph. +61 3 6226 2060 Fax c/- +61 3 6226 7842

"I heard someone state that Win95 is more stable than NT because 
Win95 only crashes when you use it." - Source unknown.

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 22:33:09 +1200

>  > hardware running WinNT or 2000 performs very well, but not as well as

No problem.

Hardware:
-Intel Astor II Chassis
-Intel Lancewood Motherboard (440GX based, Onboard Ultra2 SCSI, Video etc)
-Intel Pentium III 600 Processor (Single only)
-Sony IDE CDROM
-IBM 7200 RPM Ultra66 Boot disk (IDE)
-IBM 10,000 RPM SCA2 Drive (SCSI to fit into the Astor II - use 
software RAID if required)
-Asante 10/100 ethernet controller (Or other 'name brand' 
Digital/Intel 2114x based card)
(Use cards which are driven by the 'tulip' kernel module. The onboard 
ethernet on the Lancewood is the only exception - seems to work fine.)
- 128MB  of RAM
- Use high quality cables (including CAT 5 patch leads and internal ribbons)

Software:
- Red Hat 6.1 (Custom install, with everything on)
- netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.4 - 37b
- Turn off all surplus services (httpd, named, innd, nfsd etc..)
- Close down surplus ports in /etc/inetd.conf
- Used fixed IPs, don't use DHCP or any other 'lazy admin' tools
- Turn off PAPD until it is fixed.
I don't use any other distro than RedHat, this one seems the best for 
this type of server.

When you do a '/usr/sbin/haparm -tT /dev/sda' on this machine, you 
should get 130MB/sec across the motherboard, and 30MB/sec off the 
drives.

mrad01

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 07:14:59 -0700 (PDT)

> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:shared object "libwrap.so.2" not found.

Looks like you're missing the library for tcp-wrappers.  I don't know much
about freebsd, but you'll need get tcp-wrappers installed or recompile
netatalk without tcp-wrappers support to fix this.

	Andy

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 07:15:48 -0700 (PDT)

> - Turn off PAPD until it is fixed.

What is wrong with papd?

	Andy

---

From: Leo Wierzbowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 11:09:10 -0400

> the connection *without* a standard tcp/ip FIN/ACK packet."

I have some new info to add to the puzzle.  Here is what shows in
netstat --ip (sleep 1 between netstat's) during finder copying files
from server to local hard disk:

before the connection hangs, things look OK:

prot  recv q send q

tcp        0     84 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153   
ESTABLISHED 
tcp        0  54724 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153   
ESTABLISHED 
tcp        0   3619 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153   
ESTABLISHED 
tcp        0     84 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153   
ESTABLISHED 
tcp        0  53264 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153   
ESTABLISHED 
tcp      180  53851 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153   
ESTABLISHED 
tcp        0  54708 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153   
ESTABLISHED 
tcp        0    272 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153   
ESTABLISHED 

during the connection hang (immediately following the above):

tcp       60  54424 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153   
ESTABLISHED 

the above is repeated 28 times (secs), then

tcp       76  54424 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153   
ESTABLISHED 

the above is repeated 28 times (secs), then

tcp       92  54424 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153   
ESTABLISHED 

ditto, then

tcp      108  54424 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153   
ESTABLISHED 

ditto, then

tcp      124  54424 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153   
ESTABLISHED 

ditto, then

tcp      140  54424 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153   
ESTABLISHED 

ditto, then

tcp      156  54424 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153   
ESTABLISHED 

ditto, then finally

tcp      126  54424 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153   
CLOSE       

Does this tell me that the mac is trying to communicate with netatalk,
because the receive queue is increasing in size?  Did netatalk bump into
a buffer size limit on its send queue and not recover?  Or was netatalk
not going to read from the receive queue until it's send queue had
emptied a bit?  Any ideas?

-- 

Sincerely,
Leo Wierzbowski

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 07:57:53 +1200

>  > - Turn off PAPD until it is fixed.

Last time I used it, binary printing produced pages and pages of junk 
text. I would be grateful if anyone can point me to a reliable patch 
for papd which will fix this.

mrad01

---

From: Leo Wierzbowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 16:31:31 -0400

> for papd which will fix this.

It works fine if your postscript printer supports binary printing coming
through its tcp/ip interface.  Some printers assume only ascii data
would come through tcp/ip (notably hp's).

-- 

Sincerely,
Leo Wierzbowski

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 00:48:40 +0200

>would come through tcp/ip (notably hp's).

I'm printing on a HP LaserJet 5MP, directly and via papd without any problems.
I use LaserWriter 8.5.1 and I have the options set to "binary". Works without problems.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Steve Maller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 17:22:40 -0700

>I use LaserWriter 8.5.1 and I have the options set to "binary". 

Patrik, I'm trying to get my HP 2100TN (similar to the 5MP) to work 
on my Red Hat 6.2/Intel box, and having a hard time. Could I trouble 
you for a (neutered) copy of your /etc/printcap, papd.config, and 
listing of your /var/spool/XXX directory?

Something in my config isn't working.

Thank you!
-- 
Steve Maller
http://www.maller.com

"So, do you live around here often?"
     -- Steven Wright

---

From: Dejan Muhamedagic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 02:42:37 +0200

Hello,

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 11:09:10AM -0400, Leo Wierzbowski wrote:
> ...
> tcp       60  54424 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153 ESTABLISHED 
> 
> tcp       76  54424 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153 ESTABLISHED 
> ...
> tcp      156  54424 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153 ESTABLISHED 
> 
> ditto, then finally
> 
> tcp      126  54424 dilbert.circ:afpovertcp 10.227.158.146:49153 CLOSE     
> 
> because the receive queue is increasing in size?

It seems so.  At some point Mac gives up and closes the
connection.

> Did netatalk bump into
> emptied a bit?

Probably not and not.

This is way too hard to track without knowledge about the higher
level protocol.  The TCP is reliable, so there must be some
misunderstanding on the higher protocol level.  That is if there
isn't a bug in netatalk's dsi code.  Reading the code
(dsi_stream_read) and the include/atalk/dsi.h reveals that
netatalk expects a certain amount of data depending on the DSI
header received.  Perhaps dumping packets from the dsi_write
function would give a protocol expert a chance to resolve it.  Or,
if the DSI header was something expected, then there's a bug
somewhere, and probably triggered by unusual conditions.

The odd thing is that netatalk is _not_ reading the data at all
(the recvq just keeps growing).  It seems like it has stocked
somewhere else.

The fiddling in the DSI code with those "tickles" and interrupts
to handle them doesn't look good to me.  Perhaps it is safe.
Still, I don't see a need for "tickles" on TCP connections, though
those are, I suppose, a property of AFP.

> Any ideas?

Well, not much of a help here.  I hope that there's somebody
knowledgeable about netatalk's DSI code who could be able to
figure out what is going on.

Cheers.

Dejan

---

From: Leo Wierzbowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 14:29:58 -0400

An interesting new tidbit was discovered today, relating to this
problem.  It turns out that certain files "cause" or are related to the
cause of the tcp/ip connection being dropped.  We are downloading approx
40,000 files totaling approx 2GB (system folder and applications for
computing labs) from netatalk 2.1.3/2.1.4 on rh linux 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5)
to mac os 8.6 and 9.0.4 on g4, g3, and imac.  Somebody finally noticed
that our download attempts always stop on the same file.  This person
did some more tests and discovered (and I verified):

The "bad" file can be downloaded and uploaded via appletalk OK.  It can
be uploaded via 
tcp/ip OK.  It cannot be downloaded via tcp/ip.

We moved the "bad" file out, and then discovered another "bad" file with
identical symptoms.  These "bad" files work OK once on the mac's hard
drive (applications can open them).

Any ideas?

-- 

Sincerely,
Leo Wierzbowski

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 15:06:42 +0200

>listing of your /var/spool/XXX directory?

Here we go:

[/etc/printcap]
Tech-HP5M|Drucker Techzentrum 1.OG Verwaltung:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/techzentrum:\
        :rm=lj5m-tz:rp=lp:\
        :mx#0:sh:sf:
#

I'm using lpr -h because the Printer would do a banner page (even if it's suppressed in printcap).
One small oddity remains: If the printer is busy, lpq can't connect to the printer to get a status from it. I suspict this on a buggy firmware from the MIO-Card in our 5MP.

[/usr/local/etc/papd.conf]
Tech-HP5M-Spool\:LaserWriter@Verwaltung:\
        :pr=|/usr/bin/lpr -P Tech-HP5M -r -h:\
        :op=poc:\
        :pd=/usr/local/etc/HP-LJ-5M.ppd:
#

fatima:/var/spool/lpd/techzentrum # ll -a
total 20
drwxrwxr-x   2 lp       lp           4096 Jun  9 14:51 ./
drwxrwxr-x  18 lp       lp           4096 Jun  8 13:40 ../
-rw-r----x   1 root     lp              4 Jun  9 14:51 .seq*
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root           19 Jun  9 14:51 lock
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     root           19 Jun  9 14:51 status

# ll /var/spool/lpd/techzentrum
total 20
drwxrwxr-x   2 lp       lp           4096 Jun  9 14:51 ./
drwxrwxr-x  18 lp       lp           4096 Jun  8 13:40 ../
-rw-r----x   1 root     lp              4 Jun  9 14:51 .seq*
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root           19 Jun  9 14:51 lock
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     root           19 Jun  9 14:51 status

I'm using papd from asun 2.1.3 as well as pre-2.1.4-b37

:wq! PoC

---

From: Steve Maller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 07:54:07 -0700

>>listing of your /var/spool/XXX directory?

Many thank yous.

My bad...it turns out that the reason I was getting an error from 
papd being unable to register my printer is that i'd inadvertently 
given it the SAME NAME as it has on the appletalk network. in other 
words, i forgot that appletalk is fussy about naming collisions.

Once I renamed it in .paprc everthing is working beautifully again.
-- 
Steve Maller
http://www.maller.com

It is impossible to imagine Goethe or Beethoven being good at billiards
or golf.
     -- H. L. Mencken

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 20:43:27 +1000

> One small oddity remains: If the printer is busy, lpq can't connect to the printer to get a status from it. I suspict this on a buggy firmware from the MIO-Card in our 5MP.

 Its a HP 'feature', the MIO and probably others have a rotten lpd
implementation. If the printer is busy, it wont talk, making lpq hang.
Causes all sorts of head aches with Samba/windows. Windows 95 at least
locks up while waiting for samba to return the job status which is
waiting for the JetDirect. I always use HP's printer drivers now, they
make a
TCP connection to another port, and the driver behind that is
multi-threaded. I know people use LPRNG to talk directly to this port on
HPs with out HPs drivers.

---

From: Leo Wierzbowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:57:20 -0400

> > the connection *without* a standard tcp/ip FIN/ACK packet."

I  just wanted to let everyone know the resolution to this problem.  The
problem was a bad port on a switch that was connecting two gigabit
ethernet switches together.  The bad port was generating CRC errors.

-- 

Sincerely,
Leo Wierzbowski

---

From: Michalowski Thierry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:33:54 +0200

> were pointing. Same as you would do on a Unix system with sym-links.

Err....I think you're wasting some resources when doing that.
Did you ever notice that symlinks _can_ point to "nothing"? Even a
non-existent file/directory?
Try typing an 'ln -s /a/non/existent/thing  mysymlink' ... and then do a 'ls
-l' .
This is why they are interesting above hardlinks, and also why they are
_not_ the same as aliases, be them aliases in the MacOS or Windows world,
btw...
Symlinks are not _linked_ to anything, they just _point_ to what you want to
name....

Just to clarify a bit as a long-time Unix user... ;-)

--
Thierry Michalowski                                     /
Edipresse Publications S.A                 \\\' ,      / //
Informatique de Production                  \\\//    _/ //'
33,av. de la gare                            \_-//' /  //'
1001 LAUSANNE SUISSE                           \ ///  //'
phone: +41 21 349 46 26                        /  >>   \\\`
mailto:[email-masked]       /,)-^>>  _\`
                                              (/   \\ / \\\
"Unix is user-friendly...                           //  //\\\
It is just selective about who its friends are"    ((`
============================================================================
This message has been checked with GRIMEsweeper which has detected a virus
embedded in this plain text message. You should now delete your entire hard
drive and rinse your eyes with soapy water to ensure it doesn't spread.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 08:25:06 -0700 (PDT)

Maybe this is crazy, but could these "bad" files contain data that is
interpreted as a DSI header?  Something that the server thinks is the end
of the packet?  Another user complained that trying to create an EPS file
on the server would consistently drop the connection.

Do you have the "bad" files still that we could inspect?

	Andy

---

From: Leo Wierzbowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:51:59 -0400

> on the server would consistently drop the connection.

Actually, the "bad" files were just one of the symptoms of the real
problem.  The problem was a port on a switch (call it the server switch)
was generating CRC errors.  This port was connected to another switch
(call it the clients switch).  When the files were downloaded (from
server to client), many CRC errors were generated on the bad port.  The
"bad" files must have contained data that worked together with the CRC
errors in some fashion.  Because once the two switches were connected
together via another port on the server switch, everything worked OK
(and no more CRC errors).

For everyone's info, the symptoms were poor appletalk performance (10 -
15 min. downloads took 30 min., then more and more each day as the port
deteriorated), tcp/ip connections being dropped (but only on downloads
and were able to be duplicated on demand with "bad" files), and finally
windows with netware clients dropping connections with their novell
server on the same server switch.  The port degraded over a two week
period, at least.  Connecting the linux/netatlk servers to another
switch helped focus diagnostic attention on the server switch.

-- 

Sincerely,
Leo Wierzbowski

---

From: Jolly Roger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 00:42:14 -0500

I'm a relative Linux newbie, and was wondering if someone could help me set
it up so that netatalk runs automatically after a reboot.  The installer did
not set that part up completely. What it is doing now, is a partial startup.
Immediately after booting up, if I do:

    ps uwax | grep atalkd

I get something like:

    root      3864  0.0  0.0  1184   88 ?        S    Jul05   0:00
/usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd

However, I cannot access the computer from any macs on the network.  :/

Just in case anyone is wondering...

    # find /etc/rc.d/ -name atalk

gives this:

    /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk

Someone suggested I look at ntsysv, but it didn't list atalk, so I am lost
there.

if I examine
 at /var/log/messages,  see:

Jul  4 17:25:20 microcosm atalk: starting appletalk daemons:
Jul  4 17:25:20 microcosm rc: Starting atalk succeeded
Jul  4 17:25:21 microcosm kernel: NET4: AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0
Jul  4 17:25:21 microcosm atalkd[565]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Jul  4 17:25:21 microcosm sendmail: sendmail startup succeeded
Jul  4 17:25:22 microcosm atalkd[565]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Jul  4 17:25:22 microcosm gpm: gpm startup succeeded
Jul  4 17:25:24 microcosm httpd: httpd startup succeeded
Jul  4 17:25:26 microcosm xfs: xfs startup succeeded
Jul  4 17:25:26 microcosm xfs: Warning: The directory
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi" does not exist.
Jul  4 17:25:26 microcosm xfs:          Entry deleted from font path.
Jul  4 17:25:26 microcosm linuxconf: Linuxconf final setup
Jul  4 17:25:28 microcosm rc: Starting linuxconf succeeded
Jul  4 17:25:31 microcosm atalkd[565]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Jul  4 17:25:41 microcosm atalkd[565]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Jul  4 17:25:51 microcosm atalkd[565]: config for no router
Jul  4 17:25:52 microcosm atalkd[565]: ready 0/0/0

Looks ok to me, so then why no access?

If I then do: 
    
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk stop

I get:

    # stopping appletalk daemons:[  OK  ]
    [FAILED]

What the second FAILED means, I don't know.  But if I then do:

    /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start

I get (after some moments):

    # starting appletalk daemons:  atalkd nbprgstr papd afpd.

It takes a while (30 seconds or so).  But after that, I can access the
computer from any mac on the network.

Something interesting: after all of this, if I do:

    /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk stop

I get:

    # stopping appletalk daemons:[  OK  ]
    [  OK  ] 

Aha...it didn't fail on the second thing.

I hope this provides some clue as to my problem.  And I hope someone can
give me a clue as to why this is happening,

JR

---

From: Jolly Roger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 05:41:11 -0500

I installed 1.4b2+asun2.1.4 to solve my problems with getting netatalk to
open connections with TCP/IP by default.  It worked fine for a day. But now,
I have major problems, and cannot locate the cause of the problem.

All of a sudden, when I view the server in the Network Browser or the
Chooser, it shows one single volume bing shared, with NO NAME, just an icon
(or in the Chooser, a blank item in the list of volumes).

I've checked the obvious stuff:

restarted netatalk with /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk stop & start
verified that atalkd.conf, afpd.conf, and AppleVolumes.default are ok
restarted the client computer

The only error I see in /var/log/messages is:

Jul 10 05:19:45 microcosm afpd[2443]: dsi_tcp: Can't resolve hostname
(microcosm). 10.1.0.3 on interface eth0 will be used instead.

But this didn't seem to cause any problems the first day this was working.

When I attempt to view shared volumes, this is what gets written to the log:

Jul 10 05:21:07 microcosm PAM_pwdb[2475]: (netatalk) session opened for user
upload by (uid=0)
Jul 10 05:21:07 microcosm afpd[2475]: login upload (uid 502, gid 502)

At this point I see the blank volume.  If I double-click it, nothing
happens.

Any suggestions?

---

From: David Blache <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:48:36 -0500

Did this post go through???  I've seen only one response and that was the
"Your e-mail message has been returned to you, as the "gar.esys.com" domain
address is no longer valid" reply I seem to be getting from every single
post I make to this list...

-- 

        Condominiums are not effective birth control.
|-------------------------------------------------------------|
| David Blache          Software Developer / Technical Writer |
|-------------------------------------------------------------|
| Microcosm Software    http://www.thesanctuary.com/microcosm |
|-------------------------------------------------------------|

---

From: Jolly Roger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 05:18:58 -0500

Any suggestions?

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 08:07:44 -0700 (PDT)

> (microcosm). 10.1.0.3 on interface eth0 will be used instead.

This must be a private network since you are using 10.x.x.x addresses...
Do you have something like:

10.1.0.3	microcosm

in your /etc/hosts file?

	Andy

---

From: Jolly Roger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 15:01:15 -0500

> Do you have something like:

Yes, here is what I have:

10.1.0.3    microcosm.com    microcosm.com    microcosm.com

I'm not sure where the "microcosm" is coming from.  I've changed everything
I saw in linuxconf to "microcosm.com".

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:08:55 -0700 (PDT)

> I saw in linuxconf to "microcosm.com".

Try changing that to:

10.1.0.3	microcosm	microcosm.com

	Andy

---

From: David Blache <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 17:28:16 -0500

All of a sudden, when I view the server in the Network Browser or the
Chooser, it shows one single volume being shared, with NO NAME, just an icon
(or in the Chooser, a blank item in an otherwise-empty list of volumes).

Quite a few people on the list mentioned that it must be due to DNS not
being set up correctly on the netatalk machine.  Someone was kind enough to
help me get DNS set up, and now, a day later, DNS is running fine, but
netatalk still exhibits the same problem.

So, now that we've gotten the DNS possibility out of the way, does anyone
have any other suggestions as to why this is happening?

---

From: Jolly Roger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 06:08:38 -0500