Subject: iconopen???

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:03:13 -0600 (CST)

I'm running Netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6 on a Red Hat 6.1 Linux box. When I
log into the box from my G4 machine running OS 9 and copy an alias to an
Excel 98 spreadsheet, the process stalls for a few seconds yet completes
the transfer.

Now if I look at my Linux logs, the following appears:
iconopen: open /www/.AppleDesktop/M/MSIE.icon: No such file or directory
afp_addicon: No such file or directory

I've looked at the AppleVolumes.system file and I do see an entry for
Excel so I'm not sure why there is a problem. Do I need to modify this
file for some reason?

Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
-Dan

Daniel E. Lautenschleger
University of Wisconsin
R.M. Bock Laboratories
Network Administrator and Computer Support

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 17:13:40 +0100

>afp_addicon: No such file or directory

The Finder tried to extract the Icon from the Desktop Database from your netatalk box which couldn't find it in it's database.

>Excel so I'm not sure why there is a problem. Do I need to modify this

I think you should copy (and delete thereafter, if appropriate) each of the office applications to the server. It will get the icons added and never complain again.

:wq! PoC