Subject: locked files when copying

From: Michael Harlow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 15:27:55 +1000

I've installed netatalk a little while ago. I think it is 2.1.4-36 (Solaris 7)
I keep on getting users unable to create files in their directories.

Samba creates files and folders in this directory fine.

When I created the 6th line (Macintosh Files), it appeared to be ok, except 
for the "l" flag appearing. The Trash folder was automatically created too 
(with weird permissions). When you try and drop a file into the "Macintosh 
Files" folder, it comes back "You cannot copy xxx onto shared disk yyy 
because it is locked." Then trying later it did work. Trying to drop 
"letter" failed, but still created the file "letter" even though the same 
error message appeared.

ls -lsa
    2 drwx------   8 kriwoken sgg          512 May 18 14:00 .
    1 dr-xr-xr-x  27 root     root          27 May 18 15:13 ..
    2 drwx------   4 kriwoken sgg          512 May 18 15:08 .AppleDesktop
    2 drwx------   2 kriwoken sgg          512 May 18 15:08 .AppleDouble
    8 -rw-------   1 kriwoken sgg         3584 May 18 15:08 letter
    2 drwx--l---   4 kriwoken sgg          512 May 18 15:09 Macintosh Files
    2 drwx--lrwx   3 kriwoken sgg          512 May 18 13:32 Network Trash 
Folder

ls -lsaR Macintosh\ Files/
Macintosh Files/:
total 16
    2 drwx--l---   4 kriwoken sgg          512 May 18 15:09 .
    2 drwx------   8 kriwoken sgg          512 May 18 14:00 ..
    2 drwx--l---   2 kriwoken sgg          512 May 18 15:08 .AppleDouble
    8 -rw-------   1 kriwoken sgg         3584 Oct 31  1996 letter
    2 drwx--l---   3 kriwoken sgg          512 May 18 15:09 untitled folder

Macintosh Files/.AppleDouble:
total 8
    2 drwx--l---   2 kriwoken sgg          512 May 18 15:08 .
    2 drwx--l---   4 kriwoken sgg          512 May 18 15:09 ..
    2 -rw-------   1 kriwoken sgg          589 May 18 15:09 .Parent
    2 -rw-------   1 kriwoken sgg          589 May 18 15:08 letter

Macintosh Files/untitled folder:
total 14
    2 drwx--l---   3 kriwoken sgg          512 May 18 15:09 .
    2 drwx--l---   4 kriwoken sgg          512 May 18 15:09 ..
    2 drwx--l---   2 kriwoken sgg          512 May 18 15:09 .AppleDouble
    8 -rw-------   1 kriwoken sgg         3584 May 18 15:09 letter

Macintosh Files/untitled folder/.AppleDouble:
total 6
    2 drwx--l---   2 kriwoken sgg          512 May 18 15:09 .
    2 drwx--l---   3 kriwoken sgg          512 May 18 15:09 ..
    2 -rw-------   1 kriwoken sgg          589 May 18 15:09 letter

The following appear in messages but none of the PID's match the PID of the 
user I was using [15469].

May 18 13:42:03 geo afpd[14539]: setdirparam: setdirowner: Too many open files
May 18 13:42:03 geo afpd[14539]: setdirmode: opendir .: Too many open files
May 18 13:42:03 geo afpd[14539]: setdirparam: setdirmode: Too many open files
May 18 13:42:23 geo afpd[14539]: setdirparam: setdirowner: Too many open files
May 18 13:42:23 geo afpd[14539]: setdirmode: opendir .: Too many open files
May 18 13:42:23 geo afpd[14539]: setdirparam: setdirmode: Too many open files
May 18 14:19:56 geo afpd[15731]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
May 18 14:20:06 geo afpd[15731]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection timed out

Any clues ?

Is there anyway to get rid of the 'l' permission flag, and just set files 
to 600 and folders to 700 ?

Thanks, Michael
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael J Harlow                    email : [email-masked]
Computer Systems Officer, School of Geography and Env. Studies,
University of Tasmania, GPO Box 252-78, Hobart, Tas 7001, Australia.
Phone : (03) 6226 2212 or 0419 585 308      fax  : (03) 6226 2989
Web : http://www.geol.utas.edu.au/geog
-------------------------------------------------------------------