Subject: printing "problems"...

From: Walt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 12:18:46 -0400

A couple things seem to me to be a bit
wierd about how my mac prints to my
Harlequin RIPstation.

First,  I get recurring entries like the following
in my /var/log/messages file:

Oct  1 04:21:51 gandalf papd[858]: child 10620 for "Rip-2400-133" from 65344.80
Oct  1 04:21:51 gandalf papd[10620]: lp_print queued
Oct  1 04:21:51 gandalf papd[858]: child 10620 done
Oct  1 04:27:23 gandalf papd[858]: child 11079 for "Rip-2400-133" from 65344.80
Oct  1 04:27:23 gandalf papd[11079]: lp_print queued
Oct  1 04:27:23 gandalf papd[858]: child 11079 done

Apparently every 6 minutes which is causing
the file to become fairly large. Also, the RIP
log keeps getting entries that say:

[exitserver: permanent state may be changed]

The mac only seems to be able to print documents
that do not use a lot of fonts or other complexities.
Anything in the least bit 'tricky' causes a variety
of non-sensical errors to come up on the RIP.
 From the appearance of it, it *looks* like some
info is getting garbled or mis-encoded in
transmission.

Size doesn't seem to matter. A 110 mb CMYK
color-separated prints fine in seconds, but a simple
job that uses a few fonts won't RIP.

If anyone can provide some direction on this, I
would appreciate it.

my papd.conf is as follows, if it may help:

Rip-2400-133:\
         :pr=lp0:op=root:\
         :pd=/etc/ppd/ecrmmako.ppd:

Thanks,
Walt

-~

Waiter: "Tea or coffee, gentlemen?"
1st customer: "I'll have tea."
2nd customer: "Me, too -- and be sure the glass is clean!"
      (Waiter exits, returns)
Waiter: "Two teas.  Which one asked for the clean glass?"

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 06:21:29 +0200

> [exitserver: permanent state may be changed]

Not sure what causes this; the log entries above definitely indicate a
machine with the appletalk address 65344.80 connecting to your server
and submitting a job. You might want to look up the machine the address
belongs to, and look there further.

> info is getting garbled or mis-encoded in

There used to exist versions of papd mishandling binary data. Which
version of netatalk do you use?

If you use the old source tree from asun, make sure a

# grep -i crlflength etc/papd/file.*

in your netatalk source directory doesn't come up empty; if it does, you
have an old papd, and should apply at least my binary-safeness patch at

http://www.surfnonstop.com/~bandit/letterabol/netatalk/pre-asun2.1.4-36a-papd-binary-2.patch.gz

or, even better, use Andrew Morgan's papd patches. Andrew, what was the
URL to your patch again?

Regards,
Andras

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 21:35:52 -0700 (PDT)

> or, even better, use Andrew Morgan's papd patches. Andrew, what was the

Well, that stuff should still be available at
http://web.orst.edu/~morgan/netatalk, but I would recommend that you try
the code from the sourceforge site at http://netatalk.sourceforge.net
instead.  I've integrated all my patches and Andras' patches into the code
there.

	Andy

---

From: Walt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:24:47 -0400

>version of netatalk do you use?

Ah hah! In QuarkXPress, if I change the data
to ASCII that printing problem goes away, I
didn't realize it was bug.
I'm running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-8. Is
this an 'affected' version?

I am running RH6 and with a 2.2.16-3 kernel
and I installed netatalk from the RPM. Will I be
able to upgrade it using the mdk 586 RPM from
the website? Also, I either do not have a source
folder or don't know where to find it. (I did a
'locate netatalk', but the only stuff that came up
was /usr/doc/netatalk and /usr/include/netatalk
which only had at.h in it.)

Thanks much, Andras, I was thinking for a
minute that I was posting to the wrong addy
or something. :-)

Walt

-~

Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good; and
when it is bad, it is better than nothing.
			          -- Dick Brandon

---

From: "Russell Kerrison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 10:26:06 +1100

My apologies if this is an well-worn topic but we just met a minor problem
where we cannot copy files greater than 2Gb to Netatalk volumes, the Mac
throwing up a "-40" error. I assume this is a Mac OS problem, as we get the
same error trying to copy to a Win2000 volume.

Is this a known issue with Mac OS that might be fixed some time?

Russell.

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:42:15 -0500

Hello,

Can someone explain to me why need +s permission on files and directories?

Best,
Alex

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:02:38 -0800

Essentially because MacOS files don't have permissions.  Directories 
do.  So the g+s option makes sure that the permissions assigned to files on 
the Unix side match the permissions of the directory (which is what MacOS 
expects anyhow).

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:31:40 -0800

Very likely.  We've dealt with a 2GB MacOS barrier before.  What version of 
MacOS are you running?

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:13:25 -0500

> do.  So the g+s option makes sure that the permissions assigned

Hmm, on my server, I have Windows users using ftp, and Mac users using
AppleShare.  Do I have to set g+s on files that ftp creates?

Alex

---

From: Mike Fedyk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:22:35 -0800

> AppleShare.  Do I have to set g+s on files that ftp creates?

More specifically, g+s, which is SGID or Set Group ID.  This makes files created
in any directory that is marked SGID to have the same group as the directory.

Many distributions (including debian, which I use) create a group for each user,
and that user is the only member of that group.

Here's what happens:

No SGID:
User1 creates file1 in dir1 that is not SGID.  file1 is owned by user1 and it's
group is user1 also.

What if user2 wants to edit file1?  user2 can't, unless everyone (777 or
-rwxrwxrwx) can write to file1.  You probably don't want that.

With SGID:
user3 creates a file3 in dir2 that is SGID.  Directory is in group grp3.  file3
is owned by user3 and group grp3.

Now any member of grp3 can edit file3.  This is probably what you want.
-- 

Mike Fedyk                   "They that can give up essential liberty
Information Systems           to obtain a little temporary safety
Match Mail Productions Inc.   deserve neither liberty nor safety."
[email-masked]                                   Ben Franklin

---

From: "Russell Kerrison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 15:48:37 +1100

This is off a new G4 running OS 9.0.4. The OS does report the volume as
having 30Gb free.

As the files are Quicktime movies, I just tried doing a Save As to the
volume from inside the Quicktime Player app. It actually seemed to do the
copy (progress bar chugged away for a few minutes) but when it finished
threw up an error message claiming there was "bad data" in the movie and
there was no file on the volume. The file was about 3.6Gb

Any thoughts?

Russell.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
To: "Russell Kerrison" <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 11:31 AM
Subject: Re: Files over 2Gb?