Subject: LPRng and netatalk

From: rgp systems <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:38:03 -0400

I've got netatalk 2.1.38 running good on YDL on a Mac G3. My printer is a HP
LJ4M.

I installed LPRng, as per recommendations on these lists. Everything seems
to be set up correctly. If I print with lpr -Plp test.ps it shows up in the
queue. My HP blinks a few times -- then nothing. Guess the server keeps
trying cause a few seconds later the printer will blink twice again -- and
still nothing.

So: the file spools ok, the printer is being seen, but the job isn't going
through.

Printing with pap (pap -p "LJ4" test.ps) works fine.

I also installed LPRng on a completely different, well-functioning appletalk
network, using MkLinux with a LaserWriter IIg -- with the same results.

HELP!

Below are my config files:

Printcap ***
lp|LJ4|Randy's Laserjet: \
    :lp=| -$ /usr/bin/pap -e -p "Randy's Laserjet": \
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp: \
    :ifhp=model=ps,status@: \
    :filter=/usr/local/libexec/filters/ifhp

papd.conf ***

    :pr=| /usr/bin/lpr -Plp:\
    :op=netatalk:\
    :pd=/usr/local/lib/PPDs/Hewlett-Packard/LaserJet4

atalkd.conf ***
eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.164

afpd.conf ***
"G3 Netatalk"  -tcp

-- 
Randy Perry
rgp systems

Mac Consulting/Sales

---

From: rgp systems <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:33:21 -0400

Here's some more info.

I used some of the debugging methods mentioned in the HOWTO. Here I tried
lpr -V -Plp README.ps; here's the output:

sending job '' to root@<NULL>
connecting to '^B', attempt 268276688
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Below is the output with lpr -D1 -Plp README.ps. It didn't core dump. Does
this mean lpr -V itself is buggy but lpr -D1 isn't?

2000-08-23-11:22:12 [866]  Initialize: /dev/null fd 3
2000-08-23-11:22:12 [866]  initsetproctitle: doing setup
2000-08-23-11:22:12 [866]  initsetproctitle: Argv 0x7ffffb64, LastArgv
0x7fffffee
2000-08-23-11:22:12 [866] lpr  setup_info: OriginalEUD 0, OriginalRUID 0
2000-08-23-11:22:12 [866] lpr  Initialize: setuid check enabled
2000-08-23-11:22:12 [867] lpr  Initialize: before setuid(0) child uid 0,
euid 0
2000-08-23-11:22:12 [867] lpr  Initialize: after setuid(1) child uid 1, euid
1
2000-08-23-11:22:12 [867] lpr  Initialize: after setuid(0) child uid 1, euid
1
2000-08-23-11:22:12 [866] lpr  Initialize: LINUX SETUID BUG TESTING process
867, status 'exit status 0 (JSUCC)'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.197 [866] lpr  Setup_configuration: starting,
Allow_getenv 0
2000-08-23-11:22:12.197 [866] lpr  Setup_configuration: Configuration file
'/etc/lpd.conf'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.197 [866] lpr  Setup_configuration:
Require_configfiles_DYN '1'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.197 [866] lpr  Get_config: required '1', '/etc/lpd.conf'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.200 radknee [866] lpr  Get_local_host:
ShortHost_FQDN=radknee, FQDNHost_FQDN=radknee
2000-08-23-11:22:12.201 radknee [866] lpr  Setup_configuration: Host
'radknee', ShortHost 'radknee', user 'root'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.201 radknee [866] lpr  Build_printcap_info: list->count
0, raw->count 5
2000-08-23-11:22:12.201 radknee [866] lpr  Get_parms: LP_mode 0
2000-08-23-11:22:12.201 radknee [866] lpr  lp: Get_printer: original printer
'lp'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.201 radknee [866] lpr  lp: Get_printer: final printer
'lp'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.201 radknee [866] lpr  lp: Fix_Rm_Rp_info: printer name
'lp'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.201 radknee [866] lpr  lp: Select_pc_info: looking for
'lp', depth 0
2000-08-23-11:22:12.201 radknee [866] lpr  lp: Select_pc_info: found name
'lp'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.201 radknee [866] lpr  lp: Select_pc_info: returning
'lp'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.202 radknee [866] lpr  lp: Fix_Rm_Rp_info: Printer 'lp',
Queue 'lp', Lp '<NULL>', Rp 'lp', Rh 'localhost'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.202 radknee [866] lpr  lp: Make_job: before checking
format ''
2000-08-23-11:22:12.202 radknee [866] lpr  lp: Make_job: after checking
format 'f'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.202 radknee [866] lpr  lp: Make_job: 'qq' flag 0, queue
'lp', force_queuename '<NULL>'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.203 radknee [866] lpr  lp: *** Job Send_job- starting
*** - 0x7ffff7e8
2000-08-23-11:22:12.203 radknee [866] lpr  lp:  info - 0x7ffff7e8, count 14,
max 102, list 0x100739a8
2000-08-23-11:22:12.203 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [ 0] 0x10074130
='A=root@radknee+866'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.203 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [ 1] 0x100731f8 ='C=A'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.203 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [ 2] 0x10074298
='cf_out_image=Hradknee
Proot
JREADME.ps
CA
Lroot
Aroot@radknee+866
D2000-08-23-11:22:12.203
Qlp
NREADME.ps
fdfA866radknee
UdfA866radknee
'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.203 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [ 3] 0x10072ca0
='copies=0x1'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.203 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [ 4] 0x100740d8
='datafile_count=1'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.203 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [ 5] 0x10073248
='file_hostname=radknee'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.203 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [ 6] 0x10072cc0 ='format=f'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.203 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [ 7] 0x10072ce8
='H=radknee'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.203 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [ 8] 0x10073278
='J=README.ps'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.203 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [ 9] 0x10073268 ='L=root'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.203 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [10] 0x100740c8
='number=866'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.204 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [11] 0x10072d08 ='P=root'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.204 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [12] 0x10072cf8
='priority=A'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.204 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [13] 0x10074110
='transfername=cfA866radknee'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.204 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   datafiles - count 1
2000-08-23-11:22:12.204 radknee [866] lpr  lp:    datafile[0] - 0x10072cb0,
count 6, max 102, list 0x10073ce8
2000-08-23-11:22:12.204 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [ 0] 0x10073420
='copies=0x1'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.204 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [ 1] 0x10073e98 ='format=f'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.204 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [ 2] 0x10073230
='N=README.ps'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.204 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [ 3] 0x10073218
='openname=README.ps'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.204 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [ 4] 0x10073e88
='size=8156'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.204 radknee [866] lpr  lp:   [ 5] 0x100743a0
='transfername=dfA866radknee'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.204 radknee [866] lpr  lp:  destination - 0x7ffff800,
count 0, max 0, list 0x0
2000-08-23-11:22:12.204 radknee [866] lpr  lp: *** end ***
2000-08-23-11:22:12.204 radknee [866] lpr  lp: Fix_send_auth: name '<NULL>'
2000-08-23-11:22:12.204 radknee [866] lpr  lp: Fix_send_auth: no security
2000-08-23-11:22:12.241 radknee [866] lpr  lp: cleanup: done, exit(0)

---

From: rgp systems <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 16:08:52 -0400

Here's some more info.