Subject: Grep from PC to Mac via LINUX

From: John Grieg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 15:15:32 +0100

I have a (Harlequin) RIP running on  NT which generates a log file.
This logfile logs "everything" including missing fonts, postscript errors.

I use smbmount to mount the share with the RIP, and I grep for errors
( grep LOGFILE error & grep LOGFILE Courier)
Theseerrors I pipe to mail (and mail them to me).

1) Is there a way I can get dialog box  when  there is an error (Like you
    get from a printer  running out of paper?

2)  Now and then  the LINUX box loses the connection with the NT machine
(WHY) , and I have to remount it
     manually.  (The LOGFILE is in use all the time).   Is there an easier
way to do this?

[email-masked]

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 07:41:46 -0700 (PDT)

>     get from a printer  running out of paper?

Sure.  If you're already piping the errors to mail, then you should be
able to add some more lines to the script you're running.  To send the
error to your favorite windows machine, just pipe it to "smbclient -M
win_machine".

>      manually.  (The LOGFILE is in use all the time).   Is there an easier

I'm not sure on this.  I've had an smbmount lose its connection as well,
but I don't know why this happens.  Do you have the latest version of
samba installed?

	Andy

---

From: Moritz Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:08:05 +0200 (CEST)

>      manually.  (The LOGFILE is in use all the time).   Is there an easier
I suggest using smbclient instead of smbmount. The first usually will work
much more stable than the other one. This is AFAIK, because smbmount isn't
maintained any more and, following to this, obsolete. And possibly
smbclient is able to reestablish the connection after a disconnect. But I
never checked out this.

Greetings,
Moritz

__________________________________________________________
Moritz Kaiser
Studentische Vertretung, Technische Universitaet Muenchen
Europe / Germany