Subject: Mac Name

From: anil <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 22:57:06 -0600

Hello,

I am not experience mac person. So please bear with me. We are trying
break our office into few sub nets and provide file transfer service
between mac and linux using netatalk. (Just AFPD) I just want to set up
our internal DNS with alkl the tcp/ip addresses of MACs. But our mac guy
says taht their are no place in the mac that can set up its name.

if on DNS

myDumbMac             192.168.21.14

How come you cannot do that on Mac?????

tks

Anil

---

From: Michael Bartosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 23:10:24 -0600

>How come you cannot do that on Mac?????

because the smart mac doesn't have to. It does a reverse lookup, 
unlike yourdumbpc.

-mab

---

From: Bill Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 09:06:56 -0600 (CST)

> because the smart mac doesn't have to. It does a reverse lookup, 

Of course, the smart mac is the only system I know of with TCP/IP that
DOESN'T provide a way to static map hostnames to IPs.

Some that do provide this would be UNIX (pick your flavor), OS/2 and even
that stupid Windoze thing...but not MacOS.

Why would you want to map a hostname to an IP? To cover those situations
when DNS is down but people would still like to get their email.

Of course, there are Macs that handle this, primarily ones where MacOS was
nuked and replaced with Linux. :)

MacOS X will fix it. Yeah, that's it.

Bill Carlson
------------
Systems Programmer    [email-masked]	|  Opinions are mine,
Virtual Hospital      http://www.vh.org/        |  not my employer's.
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics	|

---

From: Casey Bisson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 10:32:30 -0500

Open Transport, via the TCP/IP control panel, _does_ provide this service.

1. set the control panel user mode to "advanced" or "administrator" (look in
the edit menu)

2. click the "select hosts file" button that appears

3. select a hosts file. The file should be a text file formatted just as it
would be in unix.

Please don't respond to ignorance with more ignorance.

---

From: "Robert J. Rust" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 09:49:29 -0600

You can use a 'hosts' file in the root level of the system folder on the mac
to statically map hostnames to IP addresses.  Documentation on doing this is
available in Apple's Tech Info Library at
        http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n9788

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Robert J Rust
Microcomputer Specialist
UW - River Falls IT Services
(715) 425-4357
[email-masked]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> From: Bill Carlson <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 09:06:56 -0600 (CST)
> To: netatalk <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Mac Name
> Resent-From: [email-masked]
> Resent-Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 10:22:54 -0500 (EST)
>

---

From: Ray Zimmerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 10:47:13 -0500

>DOESN'T provide a way to static map hostnames to IPs.

<snip>

Is this something that went away with the switch from MacTCP to Open Transport? I know that years ago I used to have a Hosts file in my System Folder that did this.

	 - Ray

 Ray Zimmerman ::: e-mail: [email-masked] ::: 428-B Phillips Hall
               :::  phone: (607) 255-9645   ::: Cornell University
               :::    FAX: (815) 377-3932   ::: Ithaca, NY  14853

---

From: Michael Bartosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 09:50:21 -0600 (CST)

> when DNS is down but people would still like to get their email.

The MacOS /can/ map static hostnames to ip's.

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n19646

The MacOS /doesn't have to/ have its own name specified along with its IP.

Please try to verify your facts before you get so bitter. I was trying to
add humor into the world- after all we all enjoy ragging on Windows.

And maybe distribute a hosts file to your Macs in case your DNS goes down
and you want to check mail.

-mab

---

From: Bill Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 09:54:19 -0600 (CST)

> Please don't respond to ignorance with more ignorance.

Guilty as Charged. I'll try not to get my Mac bristles going in the
future and keep my mouth shut.

As atonement, an alternative to look at is MacDNS, which I finally was
able to locate on Apple's site. It is basically bind for Mac. While it
provides much more than mere host->ip mapping, it might be helpful for
those who want caching of DNS (from my observations MacOS 8.x doesn't do
this, please correct me if I am wrong).

http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11264  

Bill Carlson
------------

---

From: Brian Bergstrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 09:55:39 -0600 (CST)

> MacOS X will fix it. Yeah, that's it.

Wrong. I assume you are talking about a HOSTS file, and the Mac OS does
have that, and has had it since Mac TCP first appeared. Apple no longer
ships a HOSTS file with the OS, and the format is a little different from
a UNIX hosts file, but the functionality is there.

Instructions for Open Transport HOSTS file setup:
Open the TCP/IP Control Panel.
Select the "User Mode..." item from the Edit menu.
Click the Advanced Radio Button.
Click the Hosts File button and choose your hosts file.
Save the config..
TCP/IP will automatically restart, you do not need to restart the machine.

Example HOSTS file: Ignore the line wraps
##################
; Hosts 
; This file is parsed by the MacTCP domain name resolver and the resource
;records 
; are loaded into the resolver's cache.
;
; The Hosts file follows a SUBSET of the Master File Format (see rfc1035
;pg 33).
; Each line in this file has the form: <domain-name> <rr> [<comment>]
; <domain-name> is an absolute domain name (see rfc1034 pg 11).
; <rr> = [<ttl>] [<class>] <type> <rdata> OR [<class>] [<ttl>] <type>
;<rdata>
; A comment starts with ";" or by a line begining with a " ".  
;
; NOTES: 
;	 $INCLUDE is not implemented
;	Class is always IN, ttl is in seconds, type can be A, CNAME or NS.

; Examples

;knowAll.apple.com.	A    128.8.1.1 ; address of host knowAll.apple.com.
;
;apple.com.	NS	knowAll.apple.com. ; apple.com name server
;.		NS	knowAll.apple.com. ; root name server
;
;myHost.apple.com.	IN	604800	A	128.8.1.2 ; ttl of 1 week
;JohnS.apple.com.	A				128.8.1.3			
;Sculley.apple.com.	CNAME	JohnS.apple.com.;canonical name for alias
#################

-- 
Brian Bergstrand
Systems Programmer  Northern Illinois University
To err is human. To blame someone else for your mistakes is even more human.

---

From: Seth Mattinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 11:30:40 -0800

> http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11264

Also, you might want to look at NonSequitur. It doesn't have a GUI like
MacDNS, so you have to know how bind zone files are formatted to use it.
NonSequitur, however, doesn't act as a caching nameserver.

http://www.gross.net/sw/nonsequitur/

You can always read RFC1912 if you want to know how DNS works. =)

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1912.html

--
Seth D. Mattinen   [email-masked]   http://roller.reno.nv.us/
PGP Key: finger [email-masked]
Thou shalt not annoy. Thou shalt not be easily annoyed.

---

From: Mark Buchanan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 09:01:55 +1100

This is the way to set up a hosts file which resides in the preferences
folder... 

; HOST FILE FOR LAN
;
;

booboo                CNAME        booboo.mydomain.com
booboo.mydomain.com        A        192.168.1.100

horace                CNAME        horace.mydomain.com
horace.mydomain.com        A        192.168.1.44

atlantis                CNAME        atlantis.mydomain.com
atlantis.mydomain.com        A        192.168.1.1

on 2/2/00 3:57 PM, anil at [email-masked] wrote:

Markus Buchanan

---

From: "thomas.riewe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 16:58:06 +0100 (CET)

and what's the stuff in the file-sharing control-panel good for ?

just not fully convinced,
whilst knowing that in fact macs do rev. lookups,
thomas (R)

---

From: Casey Bisson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 13:08:47 -0500

The name given in the FileSharing control panel is it's AppleTalk name,
and has no technical relation to the IP Name.

Similarly:
In windows, you must "name" the machine in two locations in the Network
control panel. Once (in the TCP/IP protocol config) to set its IP Name,
and again (in the "Identification" tab) to set its "Windows Networking"
name. The second name has no technical relation to the first.

Reasons:
AppleTalk (EtherTalk, LocalTalk, TokenTalk) is an entirely separate
protocol from TCP/IP. They both co-exist on the same physical wires,
neither is dependent on the other (except when IP is done over
AppleTalk, called Kinetic IP, or when AppleTalk is tunneled in IP;
neither is common). The result is that MacOS fully supports both
protocols, and gives appropriate configuration options for both. This
can all become confusing, as services that were formerly AppleTalk
only--Printing, AppleShare file services--are done over IP.

---

From: anil <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 20:46:52 -0600

Tks for all the answers. All I wanted to know is that we have setup
static ip addresses for the macs. and wanted to find dns name of the
computer from somewhere winthin the computer.

tks again.

Anil

I am looking at tcpdump from mac/IP network. I am trying to understand
all the broadcasts that goes around.

---

From: Casey Bisson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 11:28:56 -0500

I have heard of people who use an extension that sets the AppleTalk name to
the IP Name, but I cannot find the reference. I use an applescript to do the
same thing. There are some utility applications that will give this
information on demand. Look to http://www.intermapper.com/Other_software/
for a start, and search http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive.html.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:26:55 -0800 (PST)

> for a start, and search http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive.html.

The extension which renames a computer according to it's DNS name is Bootp
Namer.  You can find it at:
http://www.sdesign.com/products.html

We use in a large computer lab with good results.

	Andy