Subject: [REPOST] NFS woes

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:14:01 -0400

I've got an odd situation that has just reared its ugly head- Two
servers, one an NFS host, the other an NFS client. The NFS client is
running Samba and now Netatalk to serve files located on the NFS server.
Samba does this flawlessly, but Netatalk seems to be stumbling a bit.
(FYI: I'm running knfs on a Linux 2.2 system with the mount flags of
nosuid,noexec,wsize=8192,bg,nodev,rsize=8192,intr ). 
	The symptoms I see are pretty broad. Some clients take upwards of a
minute to display 35-40 items in the volume, others are very fast. The
only consistant problem I have is copying to or from the server over
Netatalk. The client OS reports the file "in use" and will not open
files from the server (even in Simpletext) and copying files TO the
server results in a similar "the file may be in use" message.

	I've been running this setup for a while with just Samba, which has no
problem, but have rolled in the Netatalk component this week, and am not
getting very far. I'm running pre-asun2.1.4-39_test, btw). Are there
magic NFS settings I'm missing somewhere? Any help would be appreciated.

-- 

 Matthew Keller
 WebMaster & Lead Programmer/Analyst
 Distributed Computing/Telemedia
 Information Services Division
 State University of New York at Potsdam
 
 Website: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/
 PGP: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/crypto/
 Webcam:  http://webcam.mattwork.potsdam.edu:85/

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 16:54:35 -0700

you're probably not running rpc.lockd. either do that or set nolock as
a mount flag option.

-a