Subject: Dropped connections

From: Joern Staby <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:00:01 +0000

Hi there,

we're running SUSE 6.2 with netatalk enabled on an HP box. While its
possible to connect to a 25GB volume on the Linux server called "Photo
Volume" via Appletalk from an iMac workstation utilising the Chooser, the
connection to the Linux server is "dropped" after about five minutes. Also,
it's not possible to connect to the server after that! A message appears,
something like "The server did not respond". At the moment we connect as
"Guest" users - so no usernames and passwords are set up yet. We can't
connect from more than two workstations. What goes? We're beginners at this
and appreciate any help whatsoever!
-- 
Regards,
Joern Staby

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manager: Information Technology Services
T H E   N A M I B I A N   N E W S P A P E R
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tel: +264 61 236970
Fax: +264 61 229206
PO Box: 20783
42 John Meinert Street
Windhoek
Namibia
http://www.namibian.com.na
e-mail: [email-masked]
Alternate e-mail: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
T H E  N A M I B I A N - S T I L L  T E L L I N G  I T  L I K E  I T  I S !
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertising - [email-masked]
Newsdesk - [email-masked]
General Info - [email-masked]
IT Services - [email-masked]
Business Manager - [email-masked]
Letters - [email-masked]
Account - [email-masked]
Editor - [email-masked]
Advertising - [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:14:05 +0100

> and appreciate any help whatsoever!

"HP box" rings a bell -- check if the ethernet card is multicast capable
(Ethernet HOWTO)

Besides the known bugs, Netatalk should work pretty much "out of the box"
for the SUSE 6.2 distribution.

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public servers

---

From: "Kirk W. Charles" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:06:10 -0500

We had connections drop when using DHCP to assign IP addresses.

I don't know why, but it seems to be related to DHCP lease timeout.

Now we manually assign addresses.

Kirk

At 09:00 PM 11/14/00 +0000, Joern Staby wrote:

Hi there,

we're running SUSE 6.2 with netatalk enabled on an HP box. While
its

possible to connect to a 25GB volume on the Linux server called
"Photo

Volume" via Appletalk from an iMac workstation utilising the
Chooser, the

connection to the Linux server is "dropped" after about five
minutes. Also,

it's not possible to connect to the server after that! A message
appears,

something like "The server did not respond". At the moment we
connect as

"Guest" users - so no usernames and passwords are set up yet.
We can't

connect from more than two workstations. What goes? We're beginners at
this

--

Regards,

Joern Staby

Tel: +264 61 236970

Fax: +264 61 229206

PO Box: 20783

42 John Meinert Street

Windhoek

Namibia

T H E  N A M I B I A N - S T I L L  T E L L I N G  I
T  L I K E  I T  I S !

--

Kirk W.
Charles                 phone:
404-541-1000

Sundberg-Ferar                  FAX:
404-575-4144

914 Howell Mill Road Suite 100  E-mail:
[email-masked]

Atlanta, GA
30318                       www.sundbergf.com

---

From: Chris Johns <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:02:54 +1100

> and appreciate any help whatsoever!

I also had the problem when using DHCP. Being an "L" plate MAC user I
could not find the problem until I chased it down to the MAC releasing
the DHCP address. I ask a Mac user (important step ;-)) and found on the
TCP/IP Control Panel under the Edit menu "User Mode ...". Select this
then select "Advanced". On the TCP/IP Control panel go to the "Options"
dialog and turn off "Load ony when needed".

Hope it helps. This one would be nice in an FAQ.

-- 
 Chris Johns, mailto:[email-masked] mailto:[email-masked]