Subject: A bevy of problems (linux netatalk)

From: Martin Espinoza <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:22:34 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

I have some fun little problems with my netatalk setup on my linux box 
"hal" (No, I didn't name it.) This system is successfully providing file,
print, and DHCP services to nearly all the systems in my office, including
some of the macs. However, some of the OTHER macs are not playing along.

Notably, one of the powerbooks and one G4 (out of three and two, respec-
tively) can not see the print queues on the system, and none of the
machines can see it in the chooser right now (though if I put in its
FQDN or IP address in the "Server IP Address..." popup, I can get to the
shares, which work without a hitch.

Also, I'm trying to create a zone "Internal" from the linux box, and it's
there, but none of the macs can see it. What gives?

All machines are on a 100mbps switched network. They are generally (but not
always) one to a port. There's never more than four systems on a single port,
which only happens in one instance. In two other instances, there are two.

The network card is a real DEC Tulip:
eth0: Digital DS21140 Tulip at 0xec00, 00 c0 95 fa ff 62, IRQ 19.
eth0:  EEPROM default media type Autosense.
eth0:  Index #0 - Media 10baseT (#0) described by a 21140 non-MII (0) block.
eth0:  Index #1 - Media 100baseTx (#3) described by a 21140 non-MII (0) block.
eth0:  MII transceiver found at MDIO address 1, config 3100 status 786b.
eth0:  Advertising 01e1 on PHY 1, previously advertising 01e1.
eth0: Setting full-duplex based on MII Xcvr #1 parter capability of 41e1.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appletalk is in the kernel:
NET4: AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's my uname output: (domain x'd, it's not xxx)
[mespinoz@hal /etc]$ uname -a
Linux hal.internal.xxx.com 2.2.12-20smp #1 SMP Mon Sep 27 10:34:45 EDT 1999 i686 unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
The zone appears to be created:
[mespinoz@hal /etc]$ getzones
Internal

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lots of stuff shows up in an nbplkup =.
You can see the print queues on the box itself at the very top of the list.
Note the stupid photoshop crud. I *hate* that. The printer at the bottom
is a real live Appletalk Print Queue ON a Tektronix Phaser 740. I have that
stuff turned off on my HP Print Server and on my HP 4050 TN (built in print
server.)

[mespinoz@hal /etc]$ nbplkup =
            HP Laserjet 4050 TN:LaserWriter                        65280.150:129
           Tektronix Phaser 740:LaserWriter                        65280.150:128
                            hal:netatalk                           65280.150:4
                            hal:Workstation                        65280.150:4
                        macbeth:AFPServer                          65280.59:128
                        macbeth:netatalk                           65280.59:4
                        macbeth:Workstation                        65280.59:4
                               :ARA - Personal Server              65403.175:2
                    <Unnamed>-1:  Power Macintosh                  65403.175:252
      8BIM_001_144968_PSW550R7?:An unknown user                    65280.128:251
       8BIM_001_144968_PSW550R7:8BIM_001_144968_PSW550R7           65280.128:251
                      <Unnamed>:  Power Macintosh                  65280.128:252
        Jeff xxxxxxxUs Computer:  Power Macintosh                  56.104:252
        Jeff xxxxxxxUs Computer:Workstation                        56.104:4
          Ert xxxxxxUs Computer:ARA - Personal Server              65280.128:2
          Ert xxxxxxUs Computer:Multi-User Client                  65280.128:48
          Ert xxxxxxUs Computer:  Power Macintosh                  65280.128:252
          Ert xxxxxxUs Computer:Workstation                        65280.128:4
                            MAC:  Power Macintosh                  41201.173:252
                            MAC:Workstation                        41201.173:4
          John xxxxxUs Computer:ARA - Personal Server              65280.105:2
          John xxxxxUs Computer:Multi-User Client                  65280.105:48
          John xxxxxUs Computer:  Macintosh PowerBook              65280.105:252
          John xxxxxUs Computer:Workstation                        65280.105:4
                     Phaser 740:LaserWriter                        65379.99:128

Last names have been x'd to protect the guilty.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's my atalkd.conf...
eth0 -router -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.150 -zone "Internal"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
And my papd.conf:
HP Laserjet 4050 TN:\
        :pr=|/usr/local/bin/lpr -Php4050tn: \
        :pd=/usr/local/atalk/ppd/hp4050.ppd:
Tektronix Phaser 740:\
        :pr=|/usr/local/bin/lpr -Pphaser740: \
        :pd=/usr/local/atalk/ppd/phaser740.ppd:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly, my AppleVolumes.default:
# This file looks empty when viewed with "vi".  In fact, there is one
# '~', so users with no AppleVolumes file in their home directory get
# their home directory by default.
~
/opt/public             Public
/opt/art                Art
/opt/software           Software
/opt/drivers            Drivers
[mespinoz@hal etc]$ 

So, basically, I'm not really sure what's going on. Oh, just for laughs,
here's a snippet from my dhcpd.conf. This is running on the same box as
netatalk.

No, this is not on xxx.com.

	option domain-name "internal.xxx.com";
        option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.2, 63.76.46.131;
        option routers 192.168.1.1;
        option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
        option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
        option netbios-name-servers 192.168.1.2;
        option netbios-dd-server 192.168.1.2;

The macs, like everything else, come up via DHCP.

So, like, what am I doing wrong? What should I be trying?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
          [email-masked] -- LAN/MIS Administrator
      "You are what you do when it counts." -- John Steakley, Armor

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:06:52 -0800 (PST)

Do you see anything in your /var/log/messages file when netatalk starts?
You probably shouldn't be using such a large netrange (0-65534) as there
are kernel limits on the netrange.  Can you try setting that to 0-9 and
the address to something in that range?

	Andy