Subject: Netatalk and FTP (weird question)

From: [email-masked] (Lee Blevins)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 02:06:14 -0400

Here's an interesting problem I've noticed.

I have a directory published as a volume under netatalk. We put a
particular customers files there and that dir is also available to them
for ftp.

When they ftp a file from it, they lose the resource for and finder
info.

Is there any combination of ftp client (Mac) and configuration of
netatalk that would let this work?

---

From: Michalowski Thierry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 08:35:52 +0200

Nope.
This is inherent to the ftp protocol itself.
What you can do instead is encoding the file to be transferred into
MacBinary on the server side - the client would have to decode it after
transfer.
I did not try to set up something like that myself, but there exist a
bunch of ftp servers that can automagically encode files they serve as
.tar or .tgz on-the-fly if the client asks for the corresponding name.
Therefore it should be possible to plug-in the same functionality for
MacBinary.
HTH
Thierry Michalowski

--
Thierry Michalowski                                     /
Edipresse Publications S.A                 \\\' ,      / //
Informatique de Production                  \\\//    _/ //'
33,av. de la gare                            \_-//' /  //'
1001 LAUSANNE SUISSE                           \ ///  //'
phone: +41 21 349 46 26                        /  >>   \\\`
mailto:[email-masked]       /,)-^>>  _\`
                                              (/   \\ / \\\
"Unix is user-friendly...                           //  //\\\
It is just selective about who its friends are"    ((`
============================================================================
This message has been checked with GRIMEsweeper which has detected a virus
embedded in this plain text message. You should now delete your entire hard
drive and rinse your eyes with soapy water to ensure it doesn't spread.

---

From: ME <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:03:38 -0700 (PDT)

>From the command line check out "megatron" which comes with netatalk
installations.

(This would require shell access for interactive use.)

It allows for mac single <=> AppleDouble formats an others...

---

From: "thomas.riewe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:22:51 +0200 (CEST)

> netatalk that would let this work?
afaik the fetch-ftp-client is able to handle binaries
[sorry 4 noise if this req. is already comleted]

hth,
thomas (R)