Subject: RE: Connection LOST

From: Michalowski Thierry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 09:33:24 +0100

I have a similar problem with my debian 2.2 box and sourceforge's netatalk.
Actually, I tried running "Helios LANTest" on a mounted volume...after
creation of a few files, the server disconnects.
Did not look any further into it, since I'm waiting for a 1.5 release to
toroughly test it.

YMMV
Thierry

-----Original Message-----
From: Joerg Henner [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2000 8:43 PM
To: Marc J. Miller
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Connection LOST

On Mit, 06 Dez 2000, Marc J. Miller wrote:

>Looks pretty normal to me.  FYI, "Connection terminated" is something I 
>added so that when the user was gone, there would be something standard in 
>the log showing the user was gone no matter how the session ended.  It 
>gives automatic log parsers something to search for.

As the users from our customers told me, they get more "disconnected" - and
have to re-connect ... This happened when transfer (bigger) files from and
to the Server ... (the Custumer uses MacOS 8.6 - and one G4 with OS-9).

I'm wondering that this behaviour nobody else have... - or is there any
posibility to set the "timeout" ?

Joerg Henner.

-- 
LinuxHaus Stuttgart                    | Tel.:  +49 (7 11) 2 85 19 05
J. Henner & A. Reyer, Datentechnik GbR | D2:    +49 (1 72) 7 35 31 09
                                       | Fax:   +49 (7 11) 5 78 06 92
Linux, Netzwerke, Consulting & Support | http://lihas.de

---

From: Joerg Henner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 22:29:24 +0100

>Did not look any further into it, since I'm waiting for a 1.5 release to

I'm interested in what type/version of MAC-Client Software your running ...

Problem with the "connection lost" is still alive here - we're also
awaiting the V1.5 of netatalk via sourcefourge...

ANYONE else out, who got this case of problem with the 1.4.99 release ?

Greetings,

Joerg Henner.

-- 
LinuxHaus Stuttgart                    | Tel.:  +49 (7 11) 2 85 19 05
J. Henner & A. Reyer, Datentechnik GbR | D2:    +49 (1 72) 7 35 31 09
                                       | Fax:   +49 (7 11) 5 78 06 92
Linux, Netzwerke, Consulting & Support | http://linuxhaus.de

---

From: Chris Johns <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 20:35:43 +1100

> ANYONE else out, who got this case of problem with the 1.4.99 release ?

Yeap, I get it. A trace is :

Dec 12 19:48:40 kiwi dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:05:02:a1:c7:41 via eth0
Dec 12 19:48:41 kiwi dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 10.10.10.6 to 00:05:02:a1:c7:41
via eth0
Dec 12 19:48:41 kiwi dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 10.10.10.6 from
00:05:02:a1:c7:41 via eth0
Dec 12 19:48:41 kiwi dhcpd: DHCPACK on 10.10.10.6 to 00:05:02:a1:c7:41
via eth0
Dec 12 19:48:41 kiwi afpd[25407]: ASIP session:548(1) from
10.10.10.6:2048(4)
Dec 12 19:48:41 kiwi afpd[17716]: server_child[1] 25407 done
Dec 12 19:49:01 kiwi afpd[25408]: ASIP session:548(1) from
10.10.10.6:2049(4)
Dec 12 19:49:01 kiwi afpd[25408]: cleartext login: auser
Dec 12 19:49:01 kiwi PAM_pwdb[25408]: (netatalk) session opened for user
auser by (uid=0)
Dec 12 19:49:01 kiwi afpd[25408]: login auser (uid 500, gid 500)
Dec 12 19:58:42 kiwi afpd[25408]: dsi_stream_read(0): No such file or
directory
Dec 12 19:58:42 kiwi PAM_pwdb[25408]: (netatalk) session closed for user
auser
Dec 12 19:58:42 kiwi afpd[25408]: 7.36KB read, 15.90KB written
Dec 12 19:58:42 kiwi afpd[25408]: Connection terminated
Dec 12 19:58:42 kiwi afpd[17716]: server_child[1] 25408 exited 1
Dec 12 19:58:42 kiwi dhcpd: DHCPRELEASE of 10.10.10.6 from
00:05:02:a1:c7:41 via eth0 (found)

I have traced the problem to the DHCP lease being released by the Mac
(v8.6). Why ? 

This is a G3 laptop (OS 8.6) with the stack configured to not unload. We
had plenty of trouble with the location manager and have now removed all
locations (none).

I think I will make the leases last 24 hours and require the machines be
turned off each night and will see what happens.

I cannot determine if the DHCP lease is causing the problem or not as I
would expect a lease being released would result in connections being
broken.

-- 
 Chris Johns, mailto:[email-masked] mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Thomas Schierle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 02:45:49 +0100

> turned off each night and will see what happens.

well known bug with Mac OS 8.6 -- though I don't remember the details.
Other admins (connecting against native ASIP servers) have reported
raising lease time to three hours (no disconects required) does the trick.

-Thomas

-- 
Thomas Schierle, Munich, Germany

PGP key [DSS/DH] 0xA23CDA1D available at various public key servers