Subject: Chooser Problem FreeBSD

From: Ian Hitchman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 17:25:49 +0100 (BST)

I have netatalk running but can only mount by "Server IP Address" in
the chooser. Is it possible under this config to see the server by name
in the chooser? Could anyone help or point me to some documentation? 

Ports installation.
My system is FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3.
Kernel options NETATALK
config as default ie 
/usr/local/etc/AppleVolumes.default
afpd.conf.dist AppleVolumes.default.dist AppleVolumes.system
AppleVolumes.system.dist rc.d afpd.conf

dmesg...

Aug  7 16:41:36 ian2 /kernel: da0: 8683MB (17783301 512 byte sectors: 255H
63S/T 1106C)
Aug  7 16:41:36 ian2 /kernel: fxp0: starting DAD for
fe80:0001::0290:27ff:feaa:53c2
Aug  7 16:41:36 ian2 /kernel: fxp0: DAD complete for
fe80:0001::0290:27ff:feaa:53c2 - no duplicates found
Aug  7 16:41:46 ian2 atalkd[160]: zip_getnetinfo sendto: Network is
unreachable
Aug  7 16:41:46 ian2 atalkd[160]: bootaddr (zip_getnetinfo): Network is
unreachable
Aug  7 16:41:46 ian2 atalkd[160]: difaddr(0.0): Can't assign requested
address
Aug  7 16:41:46 ian2 atalkd: difaddr(0.0): Can't assign requested address
Aug  7 16:41:46 ian2 last message repeated 3 times
Aug  7 16:41:46 ian2 papd[164]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Aug  7 16:41:46 ian2 papd[164]: atp_open: Can't assign requested address
Aug  7 16:41:46 ian2 afpd[166]: main: atp_open: Can't assign requested
address 

All the best,

Ian.

---

From: Mike Fedyk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 19:29:46 -0700

Hi,

I don't know much about FreeBSD, as I have only used the Linux side of
Unix, but I'll try to point you in the right direction.

You need to find a ddp implementation for your system.  In Linux it is
in the kernel.  Maybe not so in FreeBSD, I don't know.

All I needed to do was add the appletalk.o module for ddp on linux,
and start atalkd with "eth0" in the atalkd.conf since I have two eth
cards.

Mike