Subject: Re: Dual Ethernet cards in a netatalk box

From: Peter Gutowski <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Aug 2000 07:04:34 -0400

On Sunday, August 6, 2000, Heath Henderson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>I have a server we have just set to do a large portion of Apple File
>services.  The problem is, I have a class that will also be using this
>machine as a FrontPage Web server.  Now I have everything working great with
>one Nic (eth0) but when I add the second (eth1)  I lose almost everything if
>not everything.  I have tried editing the atalkd.conf and afpd.conf, but
>don't know exactly what I should be putting in these.  What I want to do is
>shut the appletalk off on one of the cards (eth1 for example) and only run
>IP over it.  Then Appletalk and IP will be available on the other eth0 for
>the Macs to use all to themselves.  If anyone has any suggestions on how to
>do this, I would be very grateful.
>
>
>Heath Henderson
>

I've got 3 ethernet cards in one machine. In atalkd.conf I only list the one I want to show up on the local network. e.g.:

eth2 -router -phase 2 -net 2000 -addr 2000.1 -zone "packer-eth2"

In afpd.conf I have two share lines. One that has the IP address associated with the above card. The other is my gateway interface to the internet (eth0) on which I don't need ddp:

- -ipaddr 192.168.3.2 -savepassword -uamlist uams_randnum.so,uams_clrtxt.so
h0000c550141c.ne.mediaone.net -noddp -ipaddr 24.91.14.15 -savepassword \
    -uamlist uams_randnum.so,uams_clrtxt.so

Hope that helps
-- 
Peter Gutowski / [email-masked]

"Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy day." -- Susan Ertz (c. 1894-1985), American Writer