Subject: can't get interfaces

From: Veres Imre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:35:16 +0100 (CET)

Hi All,

I'm a complete beginner, if I could get answer about my question in faq or
something, please let me know.
So, I'd like to connect an Apple Powerbook 3400C and a linux box (Redhat
6.0, 2.2.12 kernel, DDP in the kernel) with netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6.

After compiling I tried to run the atalk script from /etc/rc.d/init.d but
get the following error messages:

socket: Invalid argument
atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.

So atalkd didn't work, but nbprgstr (What a heck is it? :), papd and afpd
could run.

I modified /etc/services file as I read in the README, but the only thing
I wrote the atalkd.conf:

eth0
eth1
eth2 -seed -zone netatalk

Note that, I'd like to this works on eth2 with an utp crosslink cable
(only 2 machines, the Apple and Linux on that subnet).

I've tried to leave blank, but got the same error. The other config files
hadn't touched.

Please help, my boss is very angry... :( I've read man but I don't
understand exactly, because I've never met with an Apple.

Thanks,

SiX

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:24:46 +0100

> eth2 -seed -zone netatalk
Try this:

eth0
eth1
eth2 -router -phase 2 -net 2000 -addr 2000.1 -zone "netatalk"

Have a look at al topics with "Creating Appletalk zone?"

Uwe

---

From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:06:52 -0500 (EST)

From: Veres Imre <[email-masked]>
   Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 16:35:16 +0100 (CET)

   Hi All,

   . . .

I have a similar configuration which has run without a hitch, though
with an older Performa.  So I doubt the UTP crossover per se is your
problem.  But, if you haven't done so already, you might want to check
out http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/ for hardware diagnostics,
just to eliminate other hardware problems.  (The mii-diag tool posted
there helped me fix a Mac NIC misconfiguration problem.)

   Good luck,

					-- Bob Rogers