Subject: Two servers appear as one

From: "Joe Rhodes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 21:26:54 CST

Hello all!
	I'm having an issue with netatalk, or should I say netatalks?  You see, I 
set up one LinuxPPC box with netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.4(I think?  It's one of 
the most recent asun versions)  However, it doesn't appear to be make much 
of a difference.
	I installed it on one box, and life was good.  Files got shared, and all 
the people in the kindom were happy.  The name of this first server is 
"decameron" and it has two shares:  "home" and "Music".
	I, in the process of setting up another box, start the netatalk services.  
It also shows up in the chooser, as "localhost" since I haven't given it a 
name yet.  It has one share  "home".

	Here's where shit gets wierd:  If I log into the decameron and mount a 
share on the desktop, when I return to the chooser and click on the 
localhost, it say's I'm already connected to the server "localhost" and then 
presents me with the decamerons's shares  (home and Music) instead of the 
one share that the localhost box has to offer.

	If I log into the localhost first, then when I subsequently try to log into 
the decameron, I'm told that I'm already connected to server "decameron" and 
I'm presented with the share for the localhost.

	I've run into this same problem with two Red Hat boxes running on IBM 
Netfinities, each named sal and hal.

	If this has been hashed out already, I'm sorry.  I could not find it 
anywhere by searching through the archives.

	Any ideas?  More info that should be included?

	Thanks in advance!

BTW:  Why do I keep getting unsubscribed from this list?  It seems every 
couple of weeks or so I just stop getting stuff.  Feature?

Cheers!
-Joe Rhodes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at 
http://profiles.msn.com.

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 07:10:05 -0500

Joe,

	Sometimes the best way of doing something isn't to do it at all.
	I don't know how to fix the first problem, but have you 
considered mounting localhost on decameron through NFS?  That way, 
you only have 1 version of netatalk to worry about and 1 point for 
your configuration files.

	I'm already mounting 1 machine via NFS in the office, and I 
have 2 of the directories on that machine shared through Netatalk. 
It works out quite well.

	Is this an option for you?

	Ryan

At 21:26 -0600 01/11/2000, Joe Rhodes wrote:
>Hello all!
>	I'm having an issue with netatalk, or should I say netatalks? 
>You see, I set up one LinuxPPC box with netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.4(I 
>think?  It's one of the most recent asun versions)  However, it 
>doesn't appear to be make much of a difference.
>	I installed it on one box, and life was good.  Files got 
>shared, and all the people in the kindom were happy.  The name of 
>this first server is "decameron" and it has two shares:  "home" and 
>"Music".
>	I, in the process of setting up another box, start the 
>netatalk services.  It also shows up in the chooser, as "localhost" 
>since I haven't given it a name yet.  It has one share  "home".
>
>	Here's where shit gets wierd:  If I log into the decameron 
>and mount a share on the desktop, when I return to the chooser and 
>click on the localhost, it say's I'm already connected to the server 
>"localhost" and then presents me with the decamerons's shares  (home 
>and Music) instead of the one share that the localhost box has to 
>offer.
>
>	If I log into the localhost first, then when I subsequently 
>try to log into the decameron, I'm told that I'm already connected 
>to server "decameron" and I'm presented with the share for the 
>localhost.
>
>	I've run into this same problem with two Red Hat boxes 
>running on IBM Netfinities, each named sal and hal.
>
>	If this has been hashed out already, I'm sorry.  I could not 
>find it anywhere by searching through the archives.
>
>BTW:  Why do I keep getting unsubscribed from this list?  It seems 
>every couple of weeks or so I just stop getting stuff.  Feature?
>
>Cheers!
>-Joe Rhodes
>

__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
__________________________________
If you want to achieve excellence, you can get there today. As of 
this second, quit doing less-than-excellent work.
-Thomas Watson, founder of IBM

---

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 08:26:20 -0500

>every couple of weeks or so I just stop getting stuff.  Feature?

I'm no expert in AppleTalk networking bu any stretch, but what do you 
have in your atalkd.conf files for a network configuration.

ie:
ours is  eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.97

Doesn't mean this is correct, all you admins ;-), but this is what I 
have always used. You may want to set one with 65280.97 and one with 
65280.99 or something. And of course, the file does disclaim:

#       The simplest case is no atalkd.conf.  This works on most platforms
#       (notably not Solaris), since atalkd can discover the local interfaces
#       on the machine.

Macworlds Networking Handbook is a great source for AppleTalk networking.

Also give the second box an AppleTalk name (I'm sure you have this 
already by now). I have not run into a situation where this has 
occurred.

Have you tried `nbplookup` yet? Read the Man and it gives you 
detailed information about your AppleTalk network. Here's an excerpt 
from ours:

WebServer:AFPServer		65280.97:130
PDFd:LaserWriter		65280.97:128
WebServer:netatalk		65280.97:4
WebServer:Workstation		65280.97:4
4000RND-TALL:LaserWriter	105.169:136
2000ELIP-TALL:LaserWriter	105.169:137
DPWS038:AFPServer		105.169:129
...

Notice the WebServer entries and their AppleTalk network numbers.

Here's a question for anyone-- explain to us what these numbers mean. 
What I know (think) is 65280 is the network and 97, etc., is the 
node. What's the :nnn part?
-- 
-Wes Yates
Arts Engraving
704-523-5115
[email-masked]

"It is now safe to shut off your computer"

Yes. Fitting last words.

---

From: Wes Yates <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 09:25:07 -0500

>detailed information about your AppleTalk network. Here's an excerpt 

oooops, my bad. I meant `nbplkup`. sorry.

-Wes