Subject: OP I / Linux and desktop publishing

From: John Grieg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:31:40 +0100

Is there a mailing list covering what one can do with Linux in a desktop
publishing situation.?

Linux is great for automation, so much work can be saved here (?)

Is anyone working with OPI servers on Linux?

A have tried this on NT, but programs does not understand "foreigh" file
names and /.
This would not be a problem on Linux, would it (with codepages and
character sets)?

[email-masked]

---

From: Thierry Michalowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 15:38:44 +0200

We are using Helios OPI here (unfortunately not on Linux but on Solaris
boxes) and it deals pretty good with all that stuff.
Have a look at www.helios.de (but there is still less information that the
one you can get with your local reseller).
The point is, Helios OPI server needs to work in cunjunction with Helios
EtherShare, at least to work smoothly. Which makes netatalk of no use.
HTH
Thierry Michalowski

--
Thierry Michalowski                                     /
Edipresse Publications S.A                 \\\' ,      / //
Informatique de Production                  \\\//    _/ //'
33,av. de la gare                            \_-//' /  //'
1001 LAUSANNE SUISSE                           \ ///  //'
phone: +41 21 349 46 26                        /  >>   \\\`
mailto:[email-masked]       /,)-^>>  _\`
                                              (/   \\ / \\\
"Unix is user-friendly...                           //  //\\\
It is just selective about who its friends are"    ((`
============================================================================
This message has been checked with GRIMEsweeper which has detected a virus
embedded in this plain text message. You should now delete your entire hard
drive and rinse your eyes with soapy water to ensure it doesn't spread.

---

From: Marcus Radich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 07:07:09 +1200

We have 2 customer sites running Helios Ethershare 2.5, OPI and PDF 
Handshake on Red Hat Linux 6.1. It works really well - and in true 
Linux style - runs like a rocket!

One is a push-print prepress house and the other is a magazine 
production house. I haven't found any problems with characters or 
path names. Check out http://www.helios.com for more details.

BTW, they both pump files out over 9MB/sec on 100BaseT to PMac G4s!

mrad01

-- 
========================================================

"Always ask the question, never assume the answer."
		Marcus Radich 1999

========================================================

---

From: Ron Chmara <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 15:07:02 -0700

> Is there a mailing list covering what one can do with Linux in a desktop

More than a few. All of them, however, are often quiet.

> Is anyone working with OPI servers on Linux?

Helios sells OPI for Linux. Looks, works, great. Costs are, well, I
did say Helios, right? :-)

> This would not be a problem on Linux, would it (with codepages and

Depends on the OPI substitution engine.

-Bop

--
Brought to you from boop!, the dual boot Linux/Win95 Compaq Presario 1625
laptop, currently running RedHat 6.1. Your bopping may vary.

---

From: John Clabaugh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:04:13 -0400

I have read through the docs and noticed that there is a limit to the 
length of filenames that netatalk will host.  Is there a way to force it to 
show all files, but just crop the long ones like DOS 7.0 does with long 
filenames?  We have a Quantum Snap server here and it runs samba and 
netatalk.  I tried to see if it had the same limitations.  It automatically 
crops long filenames for Mac boxes and allows Windows and UNIX boxes to see 
the original names.  It seems that it is possible, but may have been a hack 
from the guys at Quantum.  I apologize ahead of time if this has already 
been covered, but I did happen to run across it.  Thanks!

John Clabaugh
Project Engineer
RBB Systems Inc.
8767 Twp. Rd. 513
Shreve, OH 44676
Ph.  (330) 567-2906 ext. 296
FAX  (330) 567-3925
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www.rbbsystems.com