Subject: cross-platform mapping Netatalk/SAMBA

From: Rob Tanner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:52:13 -0800

Hello,

I am trying to use Netatalk together with SAMBA to enable cross-platform
file sharing.  Sharing PC files with a Macintosh is a no-brainer smashing
success because NT et al maps extensions to file types (e.g., a WORD
document in named xxxx.doc) and the AppleVolumes.system file (netatalk)
properly maps those extensions.

The problem is the other way around.  Is there a config option or a patch
that will cause netatalk to add the appropriate extension on any file saved
on a netatalk volume so that it is properly mapped for PCs?

Thanks,
Rob

       _ _ _ _           _    _ _ _ _ _
      /\_\_\_\_\        /\_\ /\_\_\_\_\_\
     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
   /\/_/_/_/_/ /\_\  /\/_/    /\/_/
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)
  
  Rob Tanner
  UNIX and Networks Manager
  Linfield College, McMinnville OR
  (503) 434-2558 <[email-masked]>

---

From: Bob James <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 03:54:28 GMT

On 1/21/00, 1:52:13 PM, Rob Tanner <[email-masked]> wrote 
regarding cross-platform mapping Netatalk/SAMBA:
> Is there a config option or a patch
> that will cause netatalk to add the appropriate
> extension on any file saved on a netatalk volume
> so that it is properly mapped for PCs?

To my knowledge, no, but if you find one, I'm interested. Currently, 
I'm simply telling my users they HAVE to save using a recognized 
extension. 

However, there are other compatibility issues that you might or might 
not have run across. Macs can save files with names that include 
special characters like "/". Three guesses what happens to a directory 
so named when viewed from a PC. Yep, it's inaccessible.

AFAIK, this is a training issue. Users must be trained NOT to save 
files with a Mac using a name that is unreadable from a PC, if you're 
sharing across the Linux box.

sig1