Subject: Invisible System Files Question

From: Greg Lincoln <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 08:43:48 -0700

I work on a mixed network running Samba and Netatalk. For this reason, I'm
trying to unclutter everything on the server as much as possible.

I'm would like to know what causes "TheVolumeSettingsFolder", and what might
be done about them. I understand the macs have all kinds of behind the
scenes files and folders, but it's becoming a menace for me to access our
public folders, because it's leaving all of this kind of crud behind.

I recall in the .AppleVolumes file some options that weren't explained very
well, namely the codepage and dbpath options. It sounds like maybe the
dbpath might have something to do with the invisibles, like desktop files,
etc. I would like to find out more and get to the bottom of this. The dot
files work fairly well, as the system hides these from clients, but the
others just plain get in the way.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you. 

___________________________________
Greg Lincoln, Creative Director
Southwest Strategies, LLC

[email-masked]
858.597.7555

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 10:33:34 +0200

Hello,

We have a mixed environment (60% macs and 40% pcs).  We have recently had a
problem with a person who mostly uses a pc can access files just fine created on
a Mac, but files created by a PC cannot be accessed by a mac.  

Is there something I need to do so that she can move back and forth between a PC
and a Mac and still use all of her files?

Bill

-------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through IMP: mail.tasis.ch

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 07:05:46 -0400

>and a Mac and still use all of her files?

What kind of file are we talking about?  This problem could be as 
simple as she doesn't have the proper software on her Mac, or your 
AppleVolumes.syatem isn't set correctly.

>Bill

__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
__________________________________
If you want to achieve excellence, you can get there today. As of 
this second, quit doing less-than-excellent work.
-Thomas Watson, founder of IBM