Subject: invisible

From: "John Arends" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:04:07 -0500

Some servers, at least the appleshare one that runs on top of novell, allow
you to make files completely invisible to people who do not have permission
to see them.

The best I have been able to do with netatalk is set the permissions so a
user does not have read, write, or execute, but the folders still show up,
users are just not able to open them however.

Any ideas?

-----
John Arends
[email-masked]

Windows95/98/NT (noun): 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16 bit
patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit
microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of
competition

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:42:58 -0700

The ResEdit utility will let you set an invisible flag in the file
resources.  (stored in AppleDouble resources).  I remember there was still
something wrong, though, and I can't remember what it was, exactly.  It may
have been because I was trying to hide a whole folder.

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Arends" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 6:04 PM
Subject: invisible

Any ideas?

-----
John Arends
[email-masked]

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:56:46 -0700 (PDT)

> users are just not able to open them however.

This is not possible with the standard linux filesystem.  Imagine a
directory /test1 with a subdirectory /test1/test2.  How could we hide
test2 from a user?  The only possible way is to set the permissions on
test1 to 700.  No matter how you set the permissions on test2, you will
still be able to see it in a directory listing of test1, although you
won't be able to change into the test2 directory.

If you think I'm wrong, try to create a set of permissions in linux that
does what you want.  You can only hide an entire directory listing, not a
single file/directory in that directory listing.

Now, it is possible that netatalk could be modified to interpret
permissions bits in such a way as to hide a single directory, but that is
not currently the case.

	Andy

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:14:32 -0700

on 7/24/00 6:42 PM, Marc J. Miller at [email-masked] wrote:

> resources.  (stored in AppleDouble resources).

There ought to be some way to set this within netatalk, from the Linux box,
isn't there?  On SAMBA you can set certain filetypes to not show up.

This would be a good feature for netatalk, if possible.

Harry