Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] CD Server

From: Rick Zeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 18:27:13 -0500

On 6/28/1999 at 8:31 PM, Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]> wrote:

>At 16:59 Uhr +0100 28.06.1999, Ian Hitchman wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to copy a Mac CDROM to an IDE HD and serve over the
>>macintosh network. I have no trouble serving a mounted hfs Mac cd from
>>netatalk but every attempt to copy the cd to a hformatted volume fails.
>
>Why copy the content? Just make an image (dd if=/dev/cdrom
>of=Imagefilename) and mount this with mount -t hfs -o
>ro,loop,fork=netatalk Imagefilename /mountpoint
>
>You actually need the loop device as module or compiled into the kernel as
>well as support for the hfs filesystem (the latter you seem to have,
>'cause you say you can mount HFS-CD-ROMs).

The virtues of archiving!

Anyway, I finally did this cuz I had an extra hard drive that had I had no
other use for and the copying/mounting method didn't work.

The problem I have (1.4b2+asun2.14, kernel 2.2.14 on COL 2.3) is if I
connect to them via IP, as soon as they're accessed, the linux server gets
disconnected (OS 9 on the workstation).  Attach via AppleTalk and it's
fine--albeit much slower.

Ring any bells for anyone?