Subject: Some questions (printing from Mac to Linux)

From: "Risto Heinonen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 13:25:17 +0200

Hi,

I hope any of you can help, I am new to Mac and not so old to linux 
either :-)

I have Linux (kernel 2.0.38) and netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-
6.i386.rpm and a PowerMac 4400 with OS 8.1. Linux has a HP LJ 
5MP connected to LPT. Open Transport is something like 1.3.

1. Is it normal I can change appletalk connection on Mac from 
"ethernet" to "printer port" and can still use files from the server? At 
least it works :-)

2. Why can't I use the printer same way (over TCP/IP ?). Instead I 
need to switch appletalk to ethernet if I want ot print to linux printer. 
Then I need to switch back to printer port if I want to print to Mac 
printer. Of course I could put the other printer to linux too (I have 2 
LPT's). But...

3. What is this problem:

Jan 25 22:44:06 fin papd[2491]: child 3240 for "HP Laserjet 5MP" 
from 65528.115
Jan 25 22:44:06 fin papd[3240]: getppdent: line too long
Jan 25 22:44:08 fin papd[2491]: child 3240 done

Does it mean Mac can't read the "PPD" from Linux?
I have in /etc/atalk/papd.conf

HP Laserjet 5MP:\
        :pr=hp5:\
        :op=operator:\
        :pd=/usr/lib/ppd/hp5mp.ppd:

(hp5 works, it is used by Win95 samba machines, thus 
/etc/printcap should be ok)
And the same hp5mp.ppd is in MAC|System 
Folder|Extensions|Printer drivers. Printer is selected as 
"Laserwriter8" from the chooser. The ppd was downloaded from 
ftp.adobe.com and is a Mac ppd (not Windows, eh)

4. How can I print properly from Illustrator, Pagemaker etc 
programs? Now I got some lines containing bull*hit.

Maybe this is all for now! Thanks in advance.
Risto Heinonen

---

From: Brian Bergstrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 08:50:39 -0600 (CST)

> "ethernet" to "printer port" and can still use files from the server? At 
Yes. Mac OS 8.x and 9.x automatically connect over TCP/IP if the server
supports it, which netatalk+asun does.
 
> printer. Of course I could put the other printer to linux too (I have 2 
papd (netatalks print daemon) does not support printing over TCP/IP only
over AppleTalk, that is why you have to switch ports. You would need to
set up LPR printing on the Linux machine and get Mac OS 8.6 or later to
have the Mac print to an LPR print spool.

 > 3. What is this problem: > 
Try converting the PPD file to UNIX line endings instead of leaving it in
Mac format. BBEdit on the Mac will do this for you.
 
> programs? Now I got some lines containing bull*hit.
You might have to set the preferences in these programs to output ASCII
PostScript instead of binary PS.
 
> Maybe this is all for now! Thanks in advance.
HTH. 

-- 
Brian Bergstrand
Systems Programmer  Northern Illinois University
I am Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.