Subject: Slow connecting time with netatalk server

From: Dave Scheltema <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 23:03:00 -0400

I currently have a PII 266mHz, IDE HD, 10baseT, and 30megs or RAM
running as a appletalk file server.  I am aware that the memory is a bit
low and that could be the problem. To connect from a MAC via the chooser
to this server it is deathly slow!  Once I get connected  I am flying
high and there are no apparent problems with speedy.  Are there any ways
that I could speed up the transfer other than going 100baseT.  Is there
anything that can be tweaked in netatalk, I really doubt the app is
traditionally this slow.  I am pretty sure it is something I have not
done hardware wise or config-wise.  Oh I almost forgot, I was trying to
connect with iMacs and G3s so I don't think it is the client's lack of
speedy.  Thanks for the advice.
Dave Scheltema

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 20:59:49 +0200

At 23:03 Uhr -0400 02.05.2000, Dave Scheltema wrote:

>To connect from a MAC via the chooser
>to this server it is deathly slow!

Could you describe this further?
What exactly is slow?

- Opening the Chooser and waiting for the server to appear?
- Double-clicking the server in AppleShare until the authentication dialog appears?
- After authenticating until the volume list appears?
- After selecting volume(s) until they appear on your desktop?
- Opening this (these) volume(s) until all files appear?

:wq! PoC