Subject: afpd: server_child killed

From: "Michał 'CeFeK' Nazarewicz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:56:12 +0100 (CET)

Hi,
	I am using netatalk to server four volumes, with some files on
them. My users wants to kill me: they are getting strange, unexpected
disconnections.
	I've traced how to produce them: when someone open any file with
Claris Works, and then tries to save it (overwrite!), afpd says (in
/var/adm/messages):

begin afp_delete:
begin deletefile:
end deletefile:
end afp_delete:
server_child[0] [number of process producing above messages] killed.

What to do? Please, help me or direct to any documentation. I've tried to
find a solution via google and altavista, but I couldn't.

-- 
Michal 'CeFeK' Nazarewicz   / CAOL, DK GROUP SYSADMIN ^ NETADMIN         B
ICQ 47171266 / +48 (601) CEFEK 0 / http://www.dkgroup.pl/index.html      O
mailto:cefek at saydk dot co dot uk / MN4735-RIPE / Pengiun #164007      F
Linux kanton 2.4.0-test7 #9 sob wrz 2 12:46:51 CEST 2000 i686 slackware7 H

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:49:18 -0800 (PST)

Hehe... okay; those "begin" and "end" messages are my doing.  The latest
copy of the files in etc/afpd/ only log those message if the "DEBUG" flag
has been set.  I put those in when I was trying to figure out why one of
the file management routines was crashing afpd and which routine it was. 
This time, it looks like all we can determine from the log is that the
problem didn't occur inside deletefile or afp_delete.  

If you didn't turn on DEBUG using the ./configure command or by editing
config.h, chances are you got a copy of the 1.5pre source that had some
bugs in it that I was working on.  Update your source code from CVS, make
clean, make install, and let me know if the problem persists.

> find a solution via google and altavista, but I couldn't.

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/

---

From: "Michał 'CeFeK' Nazarewicz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:44:50 +0100 (CET)

Yesterday, Marc Miller wrote:

MM>If you didn't turn on DEBUG using the ./configure command or by editing
MM>config.h, chances are you got a copy of the 1.5pre source that had some
MM>bugs in it that I was working on.  Update your source code from CVS, make
MM>clean, make install, and let me know if the problem persists.

I am not a linux-newbie :-)  I did it by myself (I've compiled in the
DEBUG options, to see what netatalk can tell me about these issues). They
occur on Linux/i386 and Linux/PPC (via IP and DDP). They _only_ occur when
a user tries to overwrite any file.

Where's the CVS or, better, the latest CVS tarball? I'll be glad to
install  it now and check if that problem persists.
 
I am very desperate about fixing this issue...

(BTW: when I've changed dirs and files' permissions to 777 under appletalk
directory tree, any tried to overwrite a file, it SUCCEEDED, but then
changed perms to 666. This should not be an issue, but maybe of some
help... please, please help.)