Subject: Re: Re: netatalk.com

From: "jeff b" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 16:10:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 Hauke Fath  wrote:
> At 09:27 01.08.00 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
> >This is the URL to the mock-up netatalk site.
> >
> >     http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/~tombeau/netatalk/
> >
> >The "logo" is in the upper left corner.
> 
> 
> I like the page -- very clean design, no meaningless chrome.

It is indeed a very clean site. I don't mean to degrade or pick at anyones'
work (far from it -- I like a lot of the design), but isn't the netatalk
logo a little BSD specific, using the BSD daemon?
     
*************************
jeff b
system administrator
university communications
university of connecticut
[email-masked]

---

From: BWS - Offwhite <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 11:33:04 -0500 (CDT)

The site also happens to be very linux centric, which does not matter too
much since the configuration is identical for each system, with a
slightly different setup.

There is no universal Unix icon, is there?

I use FreeBSD for just about everything but learning Netatalk, Sendmail,
Bind or another system in that environment does not stop me from easily
running those same services on another OS like Linux or Solaris.

Perhaps the site should mention the specific OS less and less with only
side notes where necessary.

Otherwise I am very happpy to see a site in the works.  I am even happier
to hear work is moving forward with a new release of Netatalk down the
road.

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 15:59:49 -0400

> From:    "jeff b" <[email-masked]>
> To:      "Hauke Fath " <[email-masked]>

> logo a little BSD specific, using the BSD daemon?

The term "net atalk" is a reference to the organization of the BSD
kernel's networking layers, e.g. netinet, netns, netiso, etc.  That
said, no one's married to this particular logo.

;wes

---

From: Hauke Fath <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 07:09:15 +0200

>logo a little BSD specific, using the BSD daemon?

Well, it is _a_ daemon, which is a fairly generic term, as unix "services" go.
Even the daemon's fork would be approriate -- think of afps, atalkd, 
papd...  ;)

         hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        Tangro Software Components GmbH
                                         D-69115 Heidelberg
[email-masked]                       Ruf +49-6221-13336-35, Fax -21