Subject: PAPD Problems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 18:07:20 -0400

I'm having problems printing from a Mac (os 8.5 i do believe) to a
Debian Linux (woody) machine with an HP LaserJet 6MP PostScript
printer.  Its using the latest lprng, and netatalk packages.  Printing
from the localhost and from one Linux machine to another works fine.
Printing from NT to Linux works fine, but whenever i try to print from
the mac i get a "PostScript Error".

If anyone out there can help me figure out what i'm doing wrong here,
the help would be much appriciated.

Thanks,

Grant

I'm attatching my configuration files (papd.conf, and printcap) as well
as some messages from the syslog:

#papd.conf
VgerLaserJet:\
:pr=| lpr -Plp:\
:op=root:\
:pd=/usr/local/atalk/ppd/HP_LaserJet_6MP.ppd:

Vger Mac Printer Spooler 2:\
:pr=| lpr -Plp:\
:op=root:\
:pd=/usr/local/atalk/ppd/HP_LJ_5MP.ppd:

Vger Mac Printer Spooler 3:\
:pr=| lpr -Plp:\
:op=root:\

#/etc/printcap

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL POSTSCRIPT 300x300 letter {} PostScript Default {}
lp:\
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
 :mx#0:\
 :sh:\
 :lp=/dev/lp0:\
 :if=/usr/share/printtool/master-filter:

### from /var/log/syslog
Sep 19 16:30:05 vger papd[19063]: child 19834 for "VgerLaserJet" from
30945.181
Sep 19 16:30:05 vger papd[19834]: read_ppd .ppd: No such file or
directory
Sep 19 16:30:05 vger papd[19063]: child 19834 done

Sep 19 17:49:21 vger atalkd[26671]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Sep 19 17:49:22 vger atalkd[26671]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Sep 19 17:49:22 vger atalkd[26671]: zip gnireply from 30945.96 (eth0 12)

Sep 19 17:49:23 vger atalkd[26671]: zip_packet configured eth0 from
30945.96
Sep 19 17:49:26 vger atalkd[26671]: rtmp_packet gateway 30945.96 up
Sep 19 17:49:51 vger atalkd[26671]: ready 0/0/0
Sep 19 17:50:03 vger papd[26686]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Sep 19 17:50:09 vger afpd[26684]: vger:AFPServer@* started on
30945.80:128 (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Sep 19 17:50:09 vger afpd[26684]: ASIP started on 216.23.24.109:548(1)
(1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Sep 19 17:50:09 vger papd[26686]: register Vger Mac Printer Spooler
3:LaserWriter@*
Sep 19 17:50:15 vger papd[26686]: register Vger Mac Printer Spooler
2:LaserWriter@*
Sep 19 17:50:21 vger papd[26686]: register VgerLaserJet:LaserWriter@*
Sep 19 17:50:25 vger papd[26686]: child 26694 for "VgerLaserJet" from
30945.80
Sep 19 17:50:25 vger papd[26694]: lp_init: lock: No such file or
directory
Sep 19 17:50:25 vger papd[26694]: lp_open failed
Sep 19 17:50:25 vger papd[26686]: child 26694 done

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:25:43 -0700 (PDT)

> Vger Mac Printer Spooler 3:\

Make sure that the format of your papd.conf file is exact.  The first line
should begin in column one, and there must be no spaces after the line
continuation "\" character.  The following lines must be tabbed in.  They
cannot start at column one.  Maybe this is just how you pasted it into
this email message though...

	Andy