Subject: Shared volumes list frozen once session opened ?

From: Nicolas Goniak <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 15:56:09 +0000

v : netatalk1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6
os: Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 on x86

Each time a Mac client connects to afpd, a child afpd process is
spawned, corresponding to a new session (ASP or DSI). Once the client
"mounts" a shared volume, the same child process handles all new
transactions, (including new "mounts"...) until no volume's mounted
anymore from that server.

Looks like the child process does only read once the configuration
files. That actually means I can't see any new shared volume added to
the AppleVolumes.default conf. file, if it's been updated in the mean
time (btw. 1st "mount" and 2nd try in the chooser.)

Is there any way to tell the child afpd process to reload the
configuration files ? 
Is there any workaround for such a problem, beyond savagely killing
-TERM the child process ?
Is it likely to be changed in 2.1.4 ?

Thanks alot,

Nicolas Goniak.

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:23:13 -0800 (PST)

> Is it likely to be changed in 2.1.4 ?

I doubt it.  What happens if the configuration changed such that the share
which was already mounted is different or not there?  Just have your mac
user disconnect and reconnect.  When they reconnect they will get a
new afpd child which will have read the new configuration.  There is no
need to kill the child process.

	Andy