Subject: Re: Please help: long filenames not showing up

From: "Tom Watson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 01:13:40 -0800

On 32+ character file names......

Since the 'afpd' module reads the Unix directory, and then SENDS the
file name over to the Mac side of things, can't it (afpd) to an
'on the fly" translation of the file name.  When it does it, it could
check for other "conflicting" 32+ file names and adjust accordingly.

Since the relevance of 32+ file names is (I hope) small, there
shouldn't be much conflict (possibly replacing the last 3 characters
a serial number), and then storing this in one of the tags in the
'.AppleDouble' direcory where the resource fork lives.  The code will
only be executed when the 32+ character file names exist in a particular
directory, and when these happen, usually a list of all file names is
asked for anyway, so the information is probably all close by.  This
doesn't seem like "rocket science" (I saw Space Cowboys last night!!).

The big problem is that once a 32- equivalent name is given to a
particular file, it should keep that name, thus the need for storing
the equivalent name, so it will be used, and won't be used by some other
file.

Of course, telling the user community about "sillyExtraExtraExtraExtraExtraLong"
files would help in the cause as well.

p.s.  What does afpd do in the case of "File" vs. "file" vs. "FiLe"
when it encounters it?  Unix being case sensitive and the Mac not so.
(Wierd things!!).
-- 
Tom Watson         Generic short signature
[email-masked]     (I'm at home now)