Subject: Binding Netatalk to only one NIC?

From: "Peter C. Nikolaidis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 09:52:19 -0500

Hi again,

    A couple weeks ago we got a cable modem and I set the server up with two
Ethernet cards to act as our router.  NetAtalk at first wouldn't bind to the
LAN card.  I modified the appropriate conf file, and all was well... or so I
thought.  After setting NetATalk to use only eth0, my graphic designer
informed me that he was able to mount AppleTalk shares from his house via
his ISP - over the WAN link on eht1!!  My atalkd.conf file reads as
eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.185

Do I need to modify afpd.conf to make my server only listen on the local
Ethernet port? I am running Netatalk 1.4b on RedHat 6.1.

Thanks,

Peter

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 10:17:29 -0800 (PST)

> Ethernet port? I am running Netatalk 1.4b on RedHat 6.1.

It is unlikely that the Appletalk (DDP) packets are being routed to your
graphic designer, so he is probably connecting by TCP/IP.  You can force
afpd to only listen to a particular IP address (in your case, the address
assigned to your local ethernet card) by setting "-ipaddr w.x.y.z" in the
afpd.conf file.  Have a look at the afpd.conf file for some examples and
documentation.

	Andy

---

From: "Peter C. Nikolaidis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 13:33:36 -0500

> afpd.conf file.  Have a look at the afpd.conf file for some examples and

Ah. Neat.  But the example in the file shows "-address w.x.y.z"  Is that the
same as -ipaddr, are they different, or is one of these a typo?

Thanks!

Peter

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 10:45:54 -0800 (PST)

> same as -ipaddr, are they different, or is one of these a typo?

Hmmm...  It probably depends on which version of netatalk you are using.
I grabbed that from the pre-asun2.1.4-37b source code.  It may be a
different keyword for the asun2.1.3 version.  I'd go with "-address" if
that is what your config file says.

	Andy