Subject: Re: ddp/tcp connections (pre-39)

From: Peter Gutowski <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Aug 2000 10:21:52 -0400

On Monday, August 14, 2000, Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Been running pre-39 now for a few weeks, and so far have had no problems
>with alias', or data loss (knock on wood).
>
>One thing I *HAVE* noticed is that a chooser initiated connection will
>invariably default to slow AppleTalk connectivity. I need to proceed with
>manual IP selection in order to get the faster IP connection.

Someone else (Andrew M?) indicated that if the Chooser name resolves properly in the local domain, then it will attempt a TCP/IP connection first. I've made the necessary changes in our DNS server and this has resulted in getting TCP/IP connections everytime from the Chooser.

>
>Alias' made of an IP connection do reconnect as IP connections, but 'mount
>automatically' does NOT properly remember the state of the last
>connection.

What kind of "state" are you referring to? If TCP/IP, try fixing the DNS otherwise you'll probably always have the same problem as above.

---

From: Reed Loefgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:19:37 -0600

> What kind of "state" are you referring to? If TCP/IP, try fixing the DNS otherwise you'll probably always have the same problem as above.

Hi all,

  I'm running 3-7 and have been plagued with slow connections of late.
I'm rather network ignorant (my network is two boxes connected with a
25' crossover cable,) so I have trouble clearly grasping the whole DNS
thing. I get boot-time desktop mounting of the server's folder, but if I
kill that and go into the chooser all I have for the server's name is
servername, not servername.domain.topleveldomain. Should I change this?
And what file do I change-AppleVolumes.default? .system?
  And lastly, where can I get the 3-9 ppc.rpm? I looked quickly once but
couldn't find it. I'm not quick to mess with something that currently
works, but I'll upgrade if it's a good one.

Thanks for the help,

Reed Loefgren
-- 

The promise of the Machine Age was
to increase Leisure, not Productivity.