Subject: RE: Samba/Netatalk???

From: Mike Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 12:28:03 -0700

Are you sure that it is not a permissions thing? On my setup the samba users
and the netatalk users are lumped in the same group, and when a pc user
creates a file, the samba "create mode" makes sure that the apple talkers
can use it.

If I change the ownership on a file, then I get the "Unknown error [-50]"
rather than the vastly more correct and helpful "You don't have enough
access permissions", or something similar.

Tell me, are they opening the file directly from the server, or copying it
locally first and then trying to open it? I'm assuming that neither works.

What happens if they try to just copy it first?

What happens if you log in as a member of the admin group and try to open
one of the quark files?

I would experiment with the permissions if you're not sure how the files are
being created. Just do a "ls -all" on some mac files to see the owner and
group. The "smbstatus" command will tell you how your pc users are logged
in, and what group is being used as their primary. This "primary" group is
important because you may have them set up as members of several groups, but
samba wants just one primary group that will be used to create files. You
can force a primary group with - correct my if I'm wrong - the ... group
parameter? Not sure if that's right....

Oh, and before we get too far.... Make a test network!!! At the very least,
don't play with the power of unix on a weekday with users logged in!

(Okay I'm sure you know that, but you'd be surprised how many people forget
such basic sys admin things.)

- mike Johnson

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Sean Phelan [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent:	Tuesday, October 03, 2000 11:40 AM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Samba/Netatalk???

Okay, here is the situation.  We are trying to replace an old novell server
with a linux box running netatalk/samba.  We are a newspaper that relies
heavily on Quark 3.32 - 4.11 running on both Macs and PCs.  Generally,
editorial uses windows machines (95,98,NT) and Quark to create the
content/listings.  When finished, they tell the production people to make
it look pretty using Quark on Macs (8.1 - 9.04).

So, I set up a new dell (PIII 700 256RAM 3COM 905c) running Redhat 6.0 with
the 2.2.16 kernel.  I am using samba 2.0.7 and netatalk pre-asun2.1.4-37b
with FLOCKS.

Here are the problems that we are having:
1.  Macs cannot open any quark file that is created on a pc.  They are told
that the file is locked.  They are able to open a copy of the file once I
make a copy of it via the linux command line.  NOTE: Sometimes when they
try to open the file and it tells them it is locked, the file is somehow
deleted.  I thought is was something with samba so I looked into how they
lock files.  I have turned oplocks off.

2.  Lastly,  macs 8.6 and above still are unable to keep a connection.
They are constantly getting disconnected.  

Any direction is much appreciated.  Unforunately if I cant get this to work
ASAP,  we might have to look elsewhere for solutions(windows 2000).  

Thanks in advance
Sean Phelan
Chicago Reader

---

From: Sean Phelan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 15:16:20 -0500

>locally first and then trying to open it? I'm assuming that neither works.

They open it directly from the server.  I believed I tried to copy the file
but it told me the file was locked (I have tried so many things, it is a
little hard to keep track off).

>What happens if they try to just copy it first?

About 25% of the time, they are able to copy the file themselves and work
from that copy.

>What happens if you log in as a member of the admin group and try to open

I havent tried this yet, but I will give it  whirl.

>don't play with the power of unix on a weekday with users logged in!

How true.  I did try this (for about a week in test area) but I guess I
didn't check enough.

>such basic sys admin things.)

Thanks for the help. 
Sean