Subject: MS-Word (Mac) guest-multi-access conflict

From: Christian Fischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 09:23:29 +0100

Hello all,

I've been enjoying netatalk (netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3) for a while now.
Currently I'm
trying to use our Linux-Server (SuSE 6.3) for  MS-Word/Excel 98
(Macintosh)
workgroup templates. Until now we used a Macintosh as server for that
purpose (trouble with too many users - therefore the step to a
Linux-Server).

Since we switched to Netatalk, only one person at the same time can open
MS-Word templates or documents - although users login as guest and have
read-only access. 

In the log-files, the problem with document/template accesses can be
traced ("errno" is set during the execution of ad_open.c):

Feb  7 17:42:45 ihepchw2 afpd[19967]: afp_openfork: ad_open: Permission
denied

This log-entry occurs, when I'm opening other file types or files in
other programs multiple times, too, but the reaction to that "error" can
be very different. "Non-document or template" files (e.g. ascii, html)
could be open from different Macs under MS-Word at the same time. Canvas
(a drawing program), e.g., reports which user currently has opened the
document and offers to open a copy. Multiple-opening of Word-Documents
unfortunately ends with an error message.

Does anyone have an idea about what to do?

Thanks very much and greetings,

Christian Fischer
-- 
    _/ _/ _/    _/    _/   _/ _/ _/    Christian Fischer
      _/       _/    _/   _/         
[email-masked]
     _/       _/ _/ _/   _/ _/      
http://www-ihe.etec.uni-karlsruhe.de/
    _/       _/    _/   _/                             
_/ _/ _/    _/    _/   _/ _/ _/                    Tel: 
+49-721-608-6253
Institut fuer Hoechstfrequenztechnik                     
              und Elektronik                       Fax:  +49-721-691865
             Kaiserstrasse 12
            D-76128 Karlsruhe
                 Germany