Subject: Routing issue with atalkd

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 00:53:24 +0200

Hello,

since the elder days of the original 1.4b code I saw an issue which I could not explain.

Take two linux-2.2.15-glibc-2.1.2 hosts. Install and run atalkd on both machines, which both have two network interfaces. Every machine has one connection to the other. This connection is a modem link (with vtun).
I don't think, this is an issow, because I had a similar setup 2 years ago with stock 1.4b2 via pure ethernet and the same problems.
The free network interface is connected to a Mac (OS 7.6.1/w OT 1.3 and stock OS 8.1 respectively). One side has also a 2nd linux-box running.

Nbplkup shows both linux machines (afpd) very fine. But one mac can't see the other.

I looked into /proc/atalk_iface and /proc/atalk_route and saw that the routes get set okay as expected. I also nbplkup'ed a bit and aechoed remote machines: Works perfectly.

Name propagation seems to be reliable only locally:

This is the view on the remote side. You see 17.124 (Mac/8.1).

             newgen TurboPS/480:LaserWriter                        5.1:132
          Apple Laserwriter NTR:LaserWriter                        5.1:131
          Apple Laserwriter NTX:LaserWriter                        5.1:129
                         shauny:AFPServer                          5.1:130
        Tektronix Phaser IIIpxi:LaserWriter                        5.1:128
                         shauny:netatalk                           5.1:4
                         shauny:Workstation                        5.1:4
                            Mc:  Power Macintosh                  17.124:251
                            Mc:Workstation                        17.124:4

This is the local view.

             newgen TurboPS/480:LaserWriter                        5.1:132
          Apple Laserwriter NTR:LaserWriter                        5.1:131
          Apple Laserwriter NTX:LaserWriter                        5.1:129
                         shauny:AFPServer                          5.1:130
        Tektronix Phaser IIIpxi:LaserWriter                        5.1:128
                         shauny:netatalk                           5.1:4
                         shauny:Workstation                        5.1:4

And this is the local view from the 2nd box.

             newgen TurboPS/480:LaserWriter                        5.1:132
          Apple Laserwriter NTR:LaserWriter                        5.1:131
          Apple Laserwriter NTX:LaserWriter                        5.1:129
                         shauny:AFPServer                          5.1:130
        Tektronix Phaser IIIpxi:LaserWriter                        5.1:128
                         shauny:netatalk                           5.1:4
                         shauny:Workstation                        5.1:4

I could verify this behaviour with trawl from the local Mac: No Mc on the other side.

Has anyone verified this behaviour befor or am I the only one which has such a "big" network? :-)

:wq! PoC

---

From: "Luke McNeilage" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 12:30:19 +1000

According to my read, you have two linux boxes connect to each other, and 
your trying to route afp across the bridge?

First, it looks like the boxes have the same name. bad.
2nd, if you are exporting your routes turn it off it will be screwing with
your IP.
3rd read your ifconfig and see which interface is not carrying ethertalk

You will probably have to build a router with atalk.conf (SUXXXS), and I
know that afp is broadcast, but ASIP isn't. So unless you absolutely
positive you are only running on the DDP? And believe me just doing -tcp
doesn't cut it.

either that or its a cable problem
============================================================================
Luke McNeilage
Technical Director
D2P (Australasia) Pty Ltd
Email: [email-masked]
Web: www.d2p.com.au

Australia's leading file delivery system for publishing & graphic arts.

Tel: +61 (0)3 9429 3233
Fax: +61 (0)3 9427 0929
Mobile: 0419 512 868

Suite 3/243 Bridge Road
Richmond VIC 3121
Australia

----------
>From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: Routing issue with atalkd
>Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 8:53 AM
>

> Take two linux-2.2.15-glibc-2.1.2 hosts. Install and run atalkd on both
> machines, which both have two network interfaces. Every machine has one
> connection to the other. This connection is a modem link (with vtun).
> I don't think, this is an issow, because I had a similar setup 2 years ago
> with stock 1.4b2 via pure ethernet and the same problems.
> The free network interface is connected to a Mac (OS 7.6.1/w OT 1.3 and
> stock OS 8.1 respectively). One side has also a 2nd linux-box running.
>
> I looked into /proc/atalk_iface and /proc/atalk_route and saw that the
> routes get set okay as expected. I also nbplkup'ed a bit and aechoed remote
> machines: Works perfectly.
>

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:10:37 +0200

>your trying to route afp across the bridge?

Not only AFP. Anything.

>First, it looks like the boxes have the same name. bad.

What? Nope, that isn't.

>2nd, if you are exporting your routes turn it off it will be screwing with

Eh? AppleTalk has absolutely nothing to do with IP.
IP works perfectly with this setup.

>3rd read your ifconfig and see which interface is not carrying ethertalk

Each interface which is configured in atalkd.conf does so.

>You will probably have to build a router with atalk.conf (SUXXXS)

Of course I'll have to do so. This works, as stated: I can aecho numeric Adresses from the "other side" without problems. So routing basically works and doesn't suck.

>and I

It's not just AFP. How do you play Marathon over IP, for example? Right, you'll have to build a tunnel for AppleTalk.

>either that or its a cable problem

IP works very fine.

[Much unneccessary quoting deleted]

Thank you for your answer, anyway.

:wq! PoC