Subject: RE: Adrian must be happy...

From: "Temple, Matthew H." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 08:54:12 -0400

Wesley,

	Though I'm sure Sun would be very happy with this claim,
others such as Celera Genomics seem to think that TruUnix scales
pretty well. (Good enough to process the entire first pass of
the Human Genome project.)  Let's not turn this group into a Sun
propaganda mill.  After all, Netatalk is one of the mainstays
of the GPL world and it's certainly true that if Sun REALLY
ruled the world, this free and excellent program would never
have been born in its current form.  Also, Linux is still just
a baby, so we'll see how things scale as it grows up. :-)

					Matthew Temple

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Keller
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: 9/24/00 12:49 PM
Subject: Re: Adrian must be happy...

[email-masked] wrote:
> > Sun has a firm hold on the high-end UNIX market. No other UNIX OS
can
> > scale the way Solaris does, and the E10000 is far and away the
workhorse
> > of the UNIX world... Many many of the worlds most critical
processing
> > systems are Sun Enterprise servers, and they should be as they are
> > damned spiffy.
> 
> And no one in the market for an e10000 is planning to replace it with
a
> $999 box...

	*lmao* That is quite accurate. :)

-- 

 Matthew Keller
 WebMaster & Lead Programmer/Analyst
 Distributed Computing/Telemedia
 Information Services Division
 State University of New York at Potsdam
 
 Website: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/
 PGP: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/crypto/
 Webcam:  http://webcam.mattwork.potsdam.edu:85/

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:43:12 -0400

> a baby, so we'll see how things scale as it grows up. :-)

	Don't get me wrong- I'm a die-hard Linux user, and have worked a lot on
large scale Linux systems (2/4/6/8way, clusters, etc.) - I love Linux,
its portability, its accessibility, its versatility, its availability,
etc. etc. - But I also work with a number of large companies that need
serious horsepower that Linux cannot scale too at this point - Believe
me, I *KNOW* it will happen. IBM is pouring a lot of money into SMP on
Linux because they want it to scale too, and thank God it's under the
GPL instead of the FreeBSD license, as IBM wouldn't have to share their
SMP stuff. (Heh, I probably just started a license philosophy war ;).

-- 

 Matthew Keller

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:47:37 -0400

> From:    "Temple, Matthew H." <[email-masked]>

> a baby, so we'll see how things scale as it grows up. :-)

Um, I'm hardly chewing out Sun propoganda.  While I *did* do the
Solaris port of netatalk (with help from Sun, BTW), I *also* worked
pretty hard on the Linux, FreeBSD, and, um, let's see, oh right, every
OS that it runs on.

Also, I think it's misleading to claim that netatalk is a mainstay for
the GPL world, since it is not covered by the GPL.

netatalk was first written for AOS, a port of BSD 4.3 for the IBM RT,
predecessor of both AIX and RIOS.  Then it was ported to a vax running
BSD Tahoe, the version between 4.3 and 4.4.  After that, SunOS 4.  I'd
have to look at the archives after that, since we added several OS's
all around the same time.

I agree, tho, with your last point.  Maybe someday the Linux kernel
team will care about scaling.

:wes

---

From: Hauke Fath <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:01:07 +0200

At 8:54 Uhr -0400 25.09.2000, Temple, Matthew H. wrote:
>of the GPL world

<Cough>

Matthew,
would you please take a look at the netatalk license before making 
such astonishing claims?

<We are Linux of Borg...>

	hauke

>and it's certainly true that if Sun REALLY

-- 
Hauke Fath                        tangro software components GmbH
                                         D-69115 Heidelberg
[email-masked]                       Ruf +49-6221-13336-0, Fax -21

---

From: Matthew Temple <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:15:21 -0400

Well I'll be,

	All this time I'd been using and tinkering with netatalk, I'd
never really taken in the license.   My apologies and a big DOH! to this
group.

						mht

-- 
=============================================================
Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/632-4012
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute     
44 Binney Street, Smith 345   [email-masked]
Boston, MA 02115              IMAP LIVES!
=============================================================

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:02:47 +0000

on 9/25/00 1:47 PM, [email-masked] at [email-masked] wrote:

> While I *did* do the

Yeah, but all of that is pretty much pretty old history, isn't it?

> team will care about scaling.

I thionk they already do.

Harry
-- 
CAN'T SEE MAC IN CHOOSER UNDER RedHat 6.2: If you get errors starting
AppleTalk under RedHat 6.2 and Mandrake 7.1, you need to manually add "alias
net-pf-5 appletalk" to your /etc/conf.modules file.

---

From: Wesley Craig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 00:08:34 -0400

> From:    Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
> To:      "[email-masked] '" <[email-masked]>

> on 9/25/00 1:47 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> > While I *did* do the

> Yeah, but all of that is pretty much pretty old history, isn't it?

Yes, Harry, I've been writing code a long time.  How long have you been
writing bile?

:wes

---

From: jeff b <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:18:10 -0400

Wesley Craig wrote:
> > > pretty hard on the Linux, FreeBSD, and, um, let's see, oh right,
> > > every OS that it runs on.
> 

Could everyone please restrict arguments like this to personal email?
I'd rather not see the entire list get CC'd with this kind of argument.
(I'm not taking sides or anything, but I'd just rather not see some kind
of flame war erupt over something little.)

jeff