Subject: Re: Logo,RPMs,Version

From: Steve Freitas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 11:51:56 -0700

>I think this is a good idea, but it seems like it might be tough to
>account for all the necessary crypto libraries.  randnum requires DES,
>which is fairly standard, but the DHX support requires openssl, which does
>not come on most distributions right now (due to export restrictions, I
>believe).  I'm not a whiz with RPM's, so maybe there are simple ways
>around this.

If we were really slick, we'd include a Helixcode-esque installation GUI 
which would load OpenSSL from mirrors located outside the U.S. Of course, 
it doesn't have to be that sophisticated -- some source which is fed into 
Lynx could download OpenSSL from a legal location, and that's that. Or, 
in the beginning, on the SourceForge page we could very simply link to 
the proper RPM in a legal location and require its installation.

>I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just unfamiliar with all the problems
>people are having.  I run netatalk on redhat 5.2, 6.1, and 6.2.  I start
>with pre-asun37b or 39_test.  All I modify is the top-level Makefile.  I
>set my installation directory, uncomment PAMDIR, and check that CRYPTODIR
>points to my openssl install. Then just make, make install.

I have to confess, I haven't tried this since asun 2.1.3. Installation on 
that was very difficult to me, until the aforementioned Sandor Sklar 
wrote up a how-to for Redhat 6.0. That worked fine until 6.1 came out, 
but I had a binary that worked by then, so I didn't worry about it.

>What distributions are causing problems, and how can we fix this?

My experience is limited in this regard, as I haven't tried to compile it 
for some time. However, I do have a spare machine that I could load 
sundry distros on and try it.

Steve Freitas