Subject: Re: NetaTalk volume crashes our G4 - Please help!

From: Dave Ritter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1904 00:39:44 -0600

....
> 
> Before trying to apply some of these suggestions and see whether they
> fix our problem, I would like to clarify the following points:
> 
> - What is the purpose of the +asun version? Is it supposed to do any
> good to the way the TrashCan is handled by the system or is it just a
> general recommendation. Are other known problems of the file server
> (we are not using the print facilities) removed by this version?
> 
----
the asun version of netatalk allows you to connect to your server with
tcp/ip, this is much faster than standard appletalk, I also assume Adrian
Sun has patched any "bugs" that existed in the older versions of netatalk
----

> -How does the Keychain feature interfere with NetaTalk? I found it
> convenient in general to enter only one password to access various
> file servers that users want to have mounted all the time. It does
> the job quite well for our native Apple file sharing systems. What is
> the reason why Lee Belvins wanted to get rid of it.
> 
----
the problem is not the Keychain, the problem is that the new appleshare
client uses aliases to automount file server volumes. Aliases are for the
most part not working in netatalk, they require fixed directory IDs,
netatalk does not have this yet...
----

---

From: justine <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 08:27:57 +1000

Hi,

Does anyone know if fixed directory id's is on the board for inclusion in
any new release of netatalk? We use netatalk on all our linux servers - the
majority of them with Macintosh clients and aliasing is crucial to
operations.

Cheers
Justine

---

From: [email-masked] (Lee Blevins)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 20:15:03 -0400

> netatalk does not have this yet...

The reason we don't really like it is:

1) We don't want to enter a password. We want the volumes to automount.

2) It screws up. We get a keychain called "other" that appears
   mysteriously and then crashes the finder when we hit cancel.

This has nothing to do with netatalk. Apple needs to improve this.

---

From: Arts IT Unit <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 18:58:20 +1000

> majority of them with Macintosh clients and aliasing is crucial to

 I think it was added in the last 'test' versions (39b?). I certainly
have been creating aliases to folders on a Linux NetAtalk server and
re-connecting to the right folder each time, even after rebooting both
the client and server.

 The only problem I have found is that the NetAtalk server seems to
identify it's own zone as '*', so sometimes when I click on an alias to
a folder on the server (and I haven't connected yet) it can't find the
server. But once a connection is made to that server (even to a
different share), the aliases resolve to the correct share/folder. Each
time.

 I was going to try and fiddle with the rc.atalk script to explicitly
set the zone when it registers the name, not leaving it to attach to the
default zone. (Which is the correct zone, but....)

---

From: "thomas.riewe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 12:14:57 +0200 (CEST)

> re-connecting to the right folder each time, even after rebooting both
wrong, well partly:

afaik the problem is not (never was) aliasing a "share" nor a folder
the problem will rise it's ugly head when you alias files within volumes 
served by afpd (and -im not sure about that, to longa ago- weren't there
also problems when your aliases point to folders within folders ... in the
exported volumes ?)

hth,
thomas (R)