Subject: Question about restricting Disk access

From: Richard Bates <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 16:04:37 -0400

I'M new at this,
    I would like to restrict how much disk space a Appletalk user can
access/write to.
    Prefferable a round number like 200MB
    Is this possible.

Richard Bates

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 22:29:47 +0200 (MEST)

>     Prefferable a round number like 200MB

It's possible to restrict the allocated space per mount point for each
user with a thingie named quotas which are available in most flavours of
unices. Netatalk uses this quota restrictions.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Stephen Joyce <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 17:02:09 -0400 (EDT)

> unices. Netatalk uses this quota restrictions.

Patrick,

I'll be the first to admit that I am new to this list; I have only been
lurking for a few weeks.  But I must ask, is it necessary for you to rude,
impolite, sarcastic, and at times downright condescending to your fellow
readers?

Cheers,
Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce

UNIX System Administrator / Network Administrator
P A N I C                         Physics & Astronomy Department
Physics & Astronomy               University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Network Infrastructure            voice: (919) 962-6494
and Computing                     fax: (919) 962-0480

---

From: Crystal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 17:13:23 -0500

> impolite, sarcastic, and at times downright condescending to your fellow
Actually, I did not interpret Patrick's response as being rude or snide -
perhaps a bit too brief to be useful. But the topic of setting quotas on a
Unix system is too involved to be discussed on the *netatalk* list. Server
configuration information not dealing specifically with Netatalk is probably
better posted on [email-masked].

Richard,
As a useful resource, the Linux Documentation Project keeps an excellent
list of "How-To's", including quotas at

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/index.html

The quota link in PDF format is at
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/other-formats/pdf/Quota.pdf

Enjoy!

Crystal Morillo

---

From: Sak Wathanasin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 01:06:25 +0100

In reply to Stephen Joyce's message of the 18/05/2000 at 17:02 -0400,

>impolite, sarcastic, and at times downright condescending to your fellow

Which bit of his reply was "rude, impolite or sarcastic"? What is 
there to take offence at? His reply was brief, but to the point: he 
can't be expected to write a treatise on the Unix quota mechanism. 
This is a netatalk-specific mailing list after all, not a general 
Unix sys admin one.

-- 
Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited
178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

Internet: [email-masked]
Phone: (+44) 24 76 41 99 96        Mobile: (+44) 79 70 75 19 12 
Fax: (+44) 24 76 69 06 90

---

From: Stephen Joyce <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 01:10:21 -0400 (EDT)

Apologies to the list; that remark/criticism on Patrick's tongue-in-
cheek responses was intended for Patrick only, not for the entire list.

Cheers,
Stephen
--
Stephen Joyce