Subject: Datafilelocking Omnis Datafile in multiuser environment on Netatalk-Linuxserver

From: "Bas Toorenburg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 08:44:16 +0200

Subject: Datafilelocking Omnis Datafile  in multiuser environment

Environment: RedHat 6.2 server with Netatalk on a Intel machine
		 iMac's with MacOS 9.0
		 Omnis 7.3  version 7.1  Datafile
		 Netatalk latest version

Description:
I have a Omnis 7.3  version 7.1 datafile installed on a new Linuxserver with
Netatalk.
5 iMac's are attached to this server. The first client can open the Omnis
datafile. But the next
clients can't open the datafile. Probably because the file is locked by
Netatalk or Linux.

When I run the datafile on an Appleshare IP server or a normal Appleserver
all runs perfect in a
multi-user environment. So why is Netatalk locking the file ?

In the mailinglist I have seen several times similar problems (for example
with Filemaker Pro Mar 03 1999) but a solution for this problem
I can't find. If I can't solve this problem I have to change the
Linuxinstallation by a Windows NT
server, which I don't like.
Can anyone help me with this problem ?

Bas Toorenburg
[email-masked]

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 10:01:11 -0700 (PDT)

> clients can't open the datafile. Probably because the file is locked by

You don't say exactly which version of netatalk you are using.  I believe
a problem with Omnis database locking was fixed in the latest pre-asun
version of netatalk, so I'd recommend upgrading.

	Andy