Subject: Network Trash Can / MacOS 9.04

From: Jan Heise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:54:49 +0200

Hi folks,

we are using a stock SuSE 6.4 with netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 at a 
customers site with about 40 Macs installed with MacOS 8.5, 8.6 and
some 9.04 machines. When I have the Network Trash Can enabled 
(having set read/write permission) and connecting from the 9.04 Macs
sometimes (mostly after a connection has been hard-reset and
reconnected)
the contents of the volume are doubled to the Trash Can-folder (not
the real files, but the structure). I browsed through the archives of 
this mailing-list and found as the only suggested solution disabling
the Network Trash Folder. 
Can somebody perhaps give me a short description on how the Network
Trash Can works? (Which File/Folder generation is initiated by the Mac,
which by netatalk due to the file-protocol spec? Why does the first user
sometimes generates a Trash Can #2, but never a second, different user
on the same volume?)
I asked the customer to work without a Network Trash Can, but this is 
not the favoured working process in his company.
Did someone find a working solution to this problem?

thank you,

jan

-- 
NCBBS GmbH                                          Tel +49 40 39834550
Behringstr. 28a                                     Fax +49 40 39834555
22765 Hamburg                                       email [email-masked]
Germany                                             http://www.ncbbs.de