Subject: Trouble with Adobe products and Personal Laserwriter NT

From: Brian Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 15:46:48 -0600

Hello,

Thanks to netatalk, I can breathe more life into the personal laserwriter
nt.  I hooked it up to my linux box via the serial port.  I then installed
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6.rpm and configured two printers in my
/etc/printcap:

lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/ttyS0:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

mac:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/mac:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/ttyS0:

So, linux prints via lp and the mac prints via the "mac" lpd without the
ghostscript filter beforehand.

I then setup my papd.conf:

Twist:\
 :pr=mac:\
 :pd=/etc/atalk/ppd/aplwnt.ppd:

And installed the laserwriter 8 (for MacOS 9) ppd for the laserwriter nt
into /etc/atalk/ppd/aplwnt.ppd (with unix linefeeds).

Started up netatalk and everything is fine until I use Photoshop or
Illustrator.  When I print from these two programs, the job is sent to the
linux box, and the printer blinks for a tremendously long time before just
stopping as though the print job was completed.

I saw mention on the archives of a filter back in 1998.  Does anyone know
what it takes to get Adobe products to print to my Laserwriter NT properly
(via netatalk).  For what it is worth, I don't even have any localtalk
capable mac's hence the need for the netatalk bridge.

Your help in getting this old workhorse working again is greatly
appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

---

From: Bob Rogers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:08:46 -0400 (EDT)

From: Brian Powell <[email-masked]>
   Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 15:46:48 -0600

   . . .

Could it be that the "old workhorse" needs a memory upgrade?  Is there
any size of Photoshop image that *does* work?

					-- Bob Rogers

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 20:20:02 -0700 (PDT)

> netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6.rpm and configured two printers in my

[...snip...]

> capable mac's hence the need for the netatalk bridge.

Have you tried setting your mac to print in "ascii" mode instead of
binary?  This should be an option when you attempt to print from Photoshop
or Illustrator.

	Andy