Subject: PAPD and PPD files on Solaris 2.7

From: Erwin Embsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 16:54:58 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

I'm trying to get papd communicating PPD info to Mac's. Can some kind
soul tell me how to set it up the right way under Solaris 7? This is what
I figured out so far:

/opt/atalk/etc/papd.conf:

HP LaserJet 5M (BIO):\
        pr=| lp -d psbio:pd=/opt/atalk/lib/ppd/HPLJ5M_1.ppd:
HP Color LaserJet:\
        pr=| lp -d hp5c:pd=/opt/atalk/lib/ppd/HP__CLJ1.ppd:

Mac's seem to be able to communicate with papd on the server but printer
info is only partially updated. Wrong language levels, built-in memory
always show a question mark, etc... It seems that the info from the PPD
is not used at all.

Help please,

Erwin Embsen
Network Services Dept.
NIOZ, Texel - The Netherlands

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Name      : Erwin Embsen                Email: [email-masked]
Department: Network Services            Phone: +31 (0)222 - 369377 (or 369300)
Institute : NIOZ, Texel - NL            Fax  : +31 (0)222 - 319674
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

---

From: Quant-X UNIX and Linux Support <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:54:27 +0100

Hello,

As far as I know there is nothing special to do about PPD.  Only one
point:  you should check for the linebreaks (those are ascii file).  If
they're Macwise (i.e. only <CR>) you should replace all <CR> with <LF>
(that is 015 with 012).  You can do this easily with tr(1).
Furthermore, you have to use LaserWriter 8 printer driver on the Mac.

Dejan

-- 

Dejan Muhamedagic   mailto:[email-masked]
UNIX and Linux Support   mailto:[email-masked]

Quant-X Service & Consulting Ges.m.b.H.  http://www.quant-x.com
Phn: +43 4212 90555-0     Fax: 90555-20    Free: +800 90555 000