Subject: Help - it works over TCP/IP but not Appletalk (long)

From: "Russell Salerno" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:33:46 -0500

Question: What should I be looking at if Netatalk works over TCP/IP, but not
over Appletalk?

The configuration is a Pentium 133, Red Hat Linux 6.1, running netatalk+asun
installed from netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6.i386.rpm, with (I think) a Digital
DE-205 NIC.  This is on a small home LAN consisting of a UMAX C-600 Mac
clone running MacOS 8.6 (Farallon fast 10/100 NIC), and a Dayna
MiniEtherPrint bridge with a localtalk Postscript laser printer on the
localtalk side.  The Linux box connects via thinwire ethernet to a 4-port
hub.  The Mac and Dayna bridge connects to the hub via 10Base-T.  The
network is operating properly, at least from a TCP/IP perspective.  I can
ping, ftp, http, and telnet between the Mac & the Linux box no problem.

Netatalk appears to be running properly on the Linux host. If I do an
nbplkup there are three items listed, the AFPServer, netatalk, and
Workstation.  None of Macs appear.  On the Mac, I can run ATview and see the
Mac and the Dayna, but not the Linux box.  Going into the Chooser reveals no
file servers.  HOWEVER, if in the chooser I connect via TCP/IP it works!

Now for the wierd part: I did the exact same install on a Dell Dimension at
the office (Red Hat Linux 6.1 with netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6.i386.rpm) and
it works without any problem.  So, I think Netatalk doesn't like something
about my hardware configuration, but I have no idea of what to look for...
if someone could point me in the right direction it would be much
appreciated.

thanks,
  -Russ Salerno
   [email-masked]