Subject: Re: Printer Access Control

From: "Bryn Hughes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:23:07 -0700

Great... 

Will they also set anything up as far as capturing the queues themselves?  By default netatalk doesn't seem to do this... And authentication is meaningless if the user can still just click on the printer instead of the queue.

Thanks for the help,
Bryn

----------------------------------------------
Bryn Hughes
Macintosh Technical Support
ICS
Vancouver Community College

ph: (604) 443.8702
fax: (604) 443.8353
email: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------
Bryn Hughes
Macintosh Technical Support
ICS
Vancouver Community College

ph: (604) 443.8702
fax: (604) 443.8353
email: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------

>>> andrew morgan <[email-masked]> - 7/27/00 3:55 PM >>>

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Bryn Hughes wrote:

> Is there any way to restrict access to print queues with
> netatalk+asun?  I have a couple printers set up on my server, and can
> print to them successfully, so I know how to do that part of it.  I
> haven't been able to find a HOWTO that explains a way of putting a
> password on a print queue, if such a thing is possible.

Grab my authenticated printing patches from:

http://web.orst.edu/~morgan/netatalk/

These are patches against asun2.1.4pre37/39 versions.  You should have a
look at the README in that directory first though to understand how it
works.  You'll need to be running LaserWriter 8.5.1 or greater on your
macs for it to work.

I'll have a patch for CAP-style authenticated printing which will work
with any mac sometime in the near future.

	Andy

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:40:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Bryn Hughes wrote:

> Great... 
> 
> Will they also set anything up as far as capturing the queues
> themselves?  By default netatalk doesn't seem to do this... And
> authentication is meaningless if the user can still just click on the
> printer instead of the queue.

No, there is no provision in netatalk for doing this.  You might try
turning off appletalk on your printer and sending jobs to it from the
queue using a different protocol such has lpd.

Or, you can manually rename the printer's appletalk type and then tell
netatalk to look for the new type (which is all that really happens when
you "capture" a queue through Windows NT, etc).

Here is a message someone posted a while back about renaming a printer:

-----------------------
Send this postscript to your printer with pap and it'll rename the printer
to Foo:Bar@* .  You can then address it as such.  This is a popular
technique to hide printers from folks who can't use ResEdit.  This
postscript, of course, wouldn't work on anything that insists on good
Adobe document conventions.

serverdict begin 0 exitserver
statusdict begin /appletalktype (Bar) def end
statusdict begin (Foo) setprintername end
-----------------------

	Andy