Subject: RE: netatalk doesn't work

From: Claus Atzenbeck <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 23:03:02 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Jonathan Newman wrote:

> This is for the randnum exchange.  In order to use it, you need to
> create this file.  I believe there is a application called
> 'afppasswd'.  Check out the man page for it, I think it explains it
> pretty well.
> 
> If you use the dhx exchange, or clrtxt, pam/passwd authentication will
> work.

I created afppasswd file and it is working now!
Many thanks to everyone who was helping me!! Jonathan, Wes, Andy,
Jeff: Thanks so much!

Just one last question: I have 4 modules I could use. In netatalk.conf
is the following line:

AFPD_UAMLIST="-U uams_dhx.so,uams_randnum.so,uams_clrtxt.so,uams_guest.so"

I guess uams_guest.so is for guest login and uams_randnum.so is for
crypto stuff. But what is dlx and clrtxt for?

I have all 4 of them activated. Should I remove some from
netatalk.conf?

Thanks for your answer!
Claus.

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 14:42:19 -0800

Cleartext (clrtxt) transmits the usernames and passwords without any 
encryption.  This is generally a bad idea.  DHX is Diffie-Hellman 
eXchange.  It's a very good encryption technique used for authentication 
and doesn't require the use of an afppasswd file.  It's very handy if 
you're validating users via an NIS (YP) map and don't have a list of 
passwords to feed it.  DHX support was added to AppleShare in MacOS 9.