Subject: Group Accounts

From: Bill Tihen -- TECHNOLOGY <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 10:08:03 +0200

I need some advice on how to make a group account.  I would like to have people that belong to the proper group have their group accounts show up for them in the chooser.  Is this possible or do I need to put access to these in the AppleVolumes.system file and only people will then just see how much access they have.

Thanks 

Bill

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 08:55:29 -0400

Bill,

	I couldn't give you an answer, so I did a quick test.  We have a
group on our linux machine called "ccbank."  I'm not a member of that
group, and none of the ccbank group-owned directories are accessible
through Appletalk.

	So I created a directory in /tmp/ccbank, changed its group to
ccbank, and set its permissions to 770.  Then, I altered my
AppleVolumes.system file to add /tmp/ccbank.

	When I closed out of my server and re-connected through chooser, I
noticed that the "ccbank" share showed up in chooser.  When I clicked on
that share to connect, I got an error message saying that I could not
connect to the share.

	It doesn't look like you can show the shares based on group, but
you can prevent access.  I might be able to do some more testing later on
in the day, unless someone else beats me to it.

	Ryan

>I need some advice on how to make a group account.  I would like to have
>people that belong to the proper group have their group accounts show up
>for them in the chooser.  Is this possible or do I need to put access to
>these in the AppleVolumes.system file and only people will then just see
>how much access they have.
>
>Thanks
>
>Bill

__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
__________________________________
If you want to achieve excellence, you can get there today. As of this
second, quit doing less-than-excellent work.
-Thomas Watson, founder of IBM

---

From: Cliff Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 09:31:58 -0400

> in the day, unless someone else beats me to it.

You can put a different .AppleVolumes file in the home directory of each
member of the group; this will override the system's AppleVolumes file
and allow you to list a different set of volumes which only they can
connect to.

-- 
cliff crawford    -><-    http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/cjc26/
                          Synaesthesia now!            icq 68165166