Subject: Multiple NICs

From: Jason Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 17:38:01 -0500

Hello.

I am still trying (and failing miserably) to get Netatalk working with 2
nics.

here's what /var/log/messages says after a 'atalk start':

Feb 11 17:49:10 lauren kernel: NET4: AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0 
Feb 11 17:49:11 lauren atalkd[20045]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Feb 11 17:49:21 lauren atalkd[20045]: ready 0/0/0
Feb 11 17:49:21 lauren atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
Feb 11 17:49:21 lauren atalkd[20045]: setifaddr: eth1: Address already
in use
Feb 11 17:49:21 lauren papd[20050]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Feb 11 17:49:21 lauren afpd[20052]: main: atp_open: Cannot assign
requested address
Feb 11 17:49:21 lauren afpd[20052]: ASIP started on 192.168.1.1:548(0)
(1.4b2+asun2.1.3) 

I guessed the 'setifaddr' line was coming up because another machine was
using the address I was trying to assign to atalkd.  So, I shut down all
the macs and turned off my Axis print server, and it still comes up.

Finally, here's what atalk.conf looks like -before- 'atalk start':
eth1 -router -phase 2 -net 2000 -addr 2000.10 -zone NewNet
eth0 -router -phase 2 -net 1000 -addr 1000.10 -zone OldNet

Here's what atalk.conf looks like -after- 'atalk start':
eth1 -router -phase 2 -net 2000 -addr 2000.10
eth0 -router -phase 2 -net 1000 -addr 0.0

Should it be overwriting it?

Thanks for any help;
Jason

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:39:05 -0800 (PST)

> Should it be overwriting it?

It will overwrite the file if it can't use the settings you provided.
However, I think you should be using -seed instead of -router on both
lines above.  The docs say -router is for single-interface routing, but
you have two interfaces...

	Andy