Subject: Mac won't login

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 20:49:44 EDT

When trying to login to the Mandrake server, it keeps coming up with invalid 
password.   I have included Kerberos 4 and AFS into the compilation of 
Netatalk.  Shadow passwords was enabled in the Makefile when I compiled it. 
The Mac is set to send password in ClearText (not a good idea I know).  I 
have specified cleartext in afpd.conf and it is running.password is the same 
in Samba and for the login reset them for good measure to insure there were 
no caps.  I have RTFMed until I have a headache.  I am sure I have overlooked 
something easy/simple.   Any ideas out there?

Jerry Merten

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:35:34 -0700

Check the log.  It should provide a hint as to why the login was denied.

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 08:00:37 +1000

> Check the log.  It should provide a hint as to why the login was denied.

 Probably will say 'incorrect password' !

> > something easy/simple.   Any ideas out there?

 Define PAM. Mandrake is basicly a RedHat distribution, however one
thing to note is that the password file is MD5 hashed, not the
traditional DES 'crypt'.
 The usual 'shadow' password libraries seem to only work with the DES
password hash. Had this happen to a friend recently who intalled
NetAtalk for the sole reason of getting files off his wifes old Mac
Laptop. First pass couldn't login. Recompiled with PAM defined. Worked
as long as the passwords were less than 8 long. (With the cleartext UAM,
I guess longer ones would have worked with DHX)

---

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 15:18:46 -0700 (PDT)

Or it could say it's trying to validate using a protocol you're not
using.  Kerberos, for example.  That would at least give you a place to
start.

> I guess longer ones would have worked with DHX)

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/