Subject: Solaris 7: Not the usual error

From: Richard Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 15:38:39 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,

I am trying to set up appletalk on a 64 bit solrais 7 machine. After
quite a bit of trouble, I finally got things to compile and install
right (with much help from the mailing list archives).

It's now compiled and installed (with no errors) but when I run it I get
2 types of undesierable behaviour.

1) When I select the solaris box from the chooser on a mac, and click
connect (either as guest or as a user), the mac crashes (either just
hangs, or gives a system error #10 with a reboot button).

2) When I stop atalk (/etc/init.d/atalk stop) it kills papd and afpd and
then the SERVER CRASHES (ie it just reboots itself).

These are both obviously serious problems.

I hope someone out there has some words of wisdom for me.

Thanks.

***************************** **************************************
*Rick Goldberg              * *                                    *
*Graduate Student           * * "I never wanted to be average,     *
*Computer Science Dept      * *   because when you are average you *
*York University            * *   are just as far from the top as  *
*Toronto, Canada            * *   you are from the bottom."        *
[email-masked]             * *              -Stan Cottrell-       *
*www.cs.yorku.ca/~rickg     * *                                    *
***************************** **************************************
     "If you don't invest very much, the defeat doesn't hurt,
             But winning isn't very exciting."

---

From: Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:56:09 -0600 (MDT)

> 2 types of undesierable behaviour.

You must be using an old netatalk. You didn't mention the version.

Download and install one of my binary packages

ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/unix/netatalk

These are tried and tested on my LAN with about 40 Mac clients and the
server being a Sun Ultra 5 running Solaris 7.

Tim

Tim Carlson                                  Voice:    (505) 984-8800x255
Director of Computing: Santa Fe Institute    Fax:      (505) 982-0565
WWW: http://www.santafe.edu/~tim             Email:   [email-masked]

---

From: Richard Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 09:04:26 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks,

I tried your version and it worked like a charm.

-Rick