Subject: odd behavior w/ netatalk

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 10:50:52 +0200

I don't understand -- last night I configured netatalk on my RH6.2 with
Netatalk-1.4b2+asun from contrib.redhat.com.  It worked fine on an Old Mac LC630
with 32 MB RAM and MacOS 7.5.3 without OpenTransport.  But it wouldn't work on
an older G3 running  MacOS 8.1 with 64 MB RAM.  When I clicked on the server it
immeadately gave me the server won't connect error.  I had seen this before, and
remembered I had to fix /etc/hosts  -- so I did this and I still got the same
error (but it took about a minute).  So I checked everything -- restarted
appletalk, etc and tried again.  The old machine worked and the newer machine
didn't.  So I went home to sleep on it.  

Today I came in and they were all working :) ??  Even a iMac with MacOS 9.04
which I hadn't tested the previos evening.  Any clue what could have been
happening?  Is this likely to reoccur?  I need dependability -- especially for
the G3's they are the computers in our main student lab.

Is there a certain uptime needed for the appletalk network to settle in?  Was
this a fluke of nature?  

Any advice or reassurance that all is well would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

Bill

-------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through IMP: mail.tasis.ch

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 07:03:25 -0400

Bill,

I think that this has happened to me before.  I've usually just added 
the name of the netatalk server to the System : Preferences : HOSTS 
file.

However, I do remember a time when I set up Netatalk on a Friday 
afternoon, left for the weekend, and "Magically" everything worked on 
Monday.  I can't explain why, but I know that it happened.  So, maybe 
someone can answer both our questions.

	Ryan

>Any advice or reassurance that all is well would be appreciated.

__________________________________
Ryan McBeth
Systems Administrator, Mobius New Media
Voice: (302) 475-9880 x11
FAX: (302) 475-9894
www.mobiusnm.com
__________________________________
If you want to achieve excellence, you can get there today. As of 
this second, quit doing less-than-excellent work.
-Thomas Watson, founder of IBM

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 10:39:19 -0700

Is it possible that HOSTS is only read during bootup?

---

From: Ryan McBeth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 13:47:43 -0400

I think that's exactly what happens.

	Ryan