Subject: Configuring NetaTalk..

From: Stefan Srdic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 19:08:19 -0700

I've recently installed NetaTalk on an old Pentium-100 with 32MB of RAM
and two legacy network cards. I have been requested by a client to
configure Linux so that he can share files between his G4 and the
Pentium and also use the Pentium to share his network connection.

I decided to install the NetaTalk+ASUN RPM on the Linux machine. I
haven't being able to find any documentation on configuring NetaTalk and
I need some advice finishing this setup. SO far, I've only discovered
how to start and stop the atalk server, but I still dont know how to set
it up so that my client will be able to log into his home directory on
the Linux machine and share files.

Any help would be greatly apreciated. This contract means a great deal
to me, my client is a video editor for a local TV station and this could
be my chance of becoming a real system admin.

Thanks

Stefan Srdic

---

From: "Marc J. Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 01:35:20 -0800

Most of the documentation is in the config files 
themselves.  AppleVolumes.default, for example, has a default of a bunch of 
comments (providing details on the options available for that file) and 
then one line which has a ~ character.  That gives the user access to 
his/her own home directory via the AppleShare.  To allow the Pentium to 
share the same volume, you need to create a SMB share which points to his 
home directory.  There's an SMB option to activate netatalk support, but I 
don't remember where you enter it.  It smooths PC/Mac relations, but file 
types may still get a little bit screwy from going back and forth.

Check for an /etc/atalk directory for the other configuration files.  There 
is also some documentation at 
http://sourceforge.net/projects/netatalk.  Much of it documents the 
upcoming netatalk 1.5 release, but netatalk 1.5 is based on 
1.4b2+asun-2.1.4+pre39 to begin with, so it should be close enough for your 
needs.

---

From: Mike Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 12:00:16 GMT

How do you mean "share his network connection"?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On 11/25/00, 6:08:19 PM, Stefan Srdic <[email-masked]> wrote

---

From: Mike Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:53:48 GMT