Subject: Bug or feature?

From: Marc Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 12:34:21 -0800 (PST)

Okay... one of my testers found an oddity in the handling of directory
permissions (we're running the latest copy of 1.4.99) and I need to know
whether people who are using netatalk 1.4b2 and 1.4.99 without dropkludge
turned on notice the same thing (you will need root access to put it
back).

Bug or feature?:  Create a directory from the MacOS side and give yourself
write but not read access.  Allow the group to have read access.

This might be useful if you want a dropbox for a specific user and a group
of people to be able to read the contents of the directory.  Such as if
you were to create a separate drop box for each student in a class and
make the group include the professors, readers, and T.A.'s for the
class.  Once set, the owner can't change the permission back to have read
access to the directory.  Unless you're root (or in the administrator
group).  I thought it was also interesting that if the owner has
write-only access, so does root.  But root is the only one who can add
read access to the directory's owner permissions.

Oy; I'm starting to confuse myself.  Does anyone follow me?  Is this a
feature or a bug?

============================================================
	/\/\arc ._|. /\/\iller ([email-masked])
	Computer Room Consultant
	Information Technology/Lab Management
============================================================
I can be contacted through the Communication Center link from
http://www.mother.com/~mjmiller/