Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Problem with passwd case

From: Dylan Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 21:11:00 -0400

If I remember correctly, Netatalk enforces appletalk's case insensitive 
user names by downcasing the username entered in the chooser before 
comparing it to those in /etc/passwd.It was disscussed a while ago on the 
list. Thread starts
http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/1998/0572.html

There's a patch to remove the downcasing code a few messages down.

Dylan

---

From: Craig Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 08:55:54 +1000

Dylan (and all Netatalkers reading this),
I think you might be right...but I have ventured into the thread and have 
come across a couple of issues.  Firstly, in my original post, I said that 
the version of netatalk was 1.4b2+asun2.1.4. It is actually netatalk-990130 
(sorry for the mis-information, we have never had 1.4b2 working!!).  The 
issues discussed in the thread refer to 1.4b2, and I have tried to locate 
the patch in auth.c that Michael Erickson talks about in:

http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/1998/0614.html

to no avail. I also don't know if it has been patched by a sun as referred 
to in:

http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/1998/0620.html

or even how to get this patch, or whether it applies to 990130 or only a 
sun's builds (I'm not sure about all these versions and I'll post another 
mail about all this).

Anyway, my first question:
1. Do you know how to patch auth.c in 990130?
2. Or where I can get a patch for it?

Now I know what is happening, I can get around it - but I would prefer not 
to go and change the case of the usernames of all my users.  So, any 
further thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated?

Cheers, Craig

-----Original Message-----
From:	Dylan Adams [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Wednesday, September 22, 1999 11:11 AM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	Re: [netatalk-admins] Problem with passwd case

Dylan