Subject: [netatalk-admins] asun2.1.3 compile issue (afp_changepw)

From: Chip <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 01:50:26 -0400

Something a little odd with netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3:

I'm compiling it on an  iRHL5.2 box.  I commented out all the options in
the main makefile except TCPwrappers and added -lcrypt.  (Oh yeah, and
made SBINDIR sbin instead of /etc.  But that is irrelevant.)  But when it
tried to compile afpd, I got this:

switch.o(.data+0x494): undefined reference to `'
make[4]: *** [afpd] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/root/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/etc/afpd'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/etc/afpd'
make[2]: *** [afpd] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/etc'
make[1]: *** [../../etc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/sys/linux'
make: *** [all] Error 2

In etc/afpd/switch.c I found a line where afp_changepw() (the function,
not the var-- appears to be some of both in there) was externed, but it
was protected by an #if defined(USE_PAM) || defined(UAM_RNDNUM).  So i
went ahead and added the line:

extern int afp_changepw();

to the file outside of the #ifdefs.  It compiled OK after that, and upon
installation I don't have any immediately noticeable problems (at least
none that I didn't have before).

The point of this is that I am a little leary about poking around in the
source and am wondering if this could be a Bad Thing in ways that aren't
readily apparent?  And if not, then maybe this info helpful to somebody
else.

Words of reassurance or better solutions to the compile problem would be
appreciated.

 -Chip

*~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Cogito, Ergo Utor Macintosh-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-*
| UCF: The Zima | "A University without students is like an        |
|   of Higher   |  ointment without a fly."                        |
|   Education   | --Ed Nather, professor of astronomy at UT Austin |
*-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-*