Subject: [netatalk-admins] reaching the Macs

From: Jan CSERNOCH <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 13:03:05 +0200

Hi!

Now I have some other questions. The /etc/atalk/config is not part of my

version anymore. Did it disappear from the latest version or was it just

left out. It doesn't seem to use it anymore.

Is there a way that I can copy files from the server to the Mac clients.

I mean how can I reach the Macs from Linux?

Thanks
Janos Csernoch
sysadmin of multigraph.com

---

From: Rich Lafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 17:26:54 -0400

Jan, FYI, you're double-spacing. :-)

> left out. It doesn't seem to use it anymore.

Can't help you here -- my netatalk install is from Debian's package,
which moves things around a bit. I've got separate conf files for
afpd, atalkd, and papd, if that's of any help at all.
 
> I mean how can I reach the Macs from Linux?

Short answer: not with netatalk, which only provides server-side 
functionality in terms of appleshare.

Longer answer: you can get afpfs, which is sort of the opposite of
netatalk and similar conceptually to nfs. Compile into your kernel
(but not a linux-2.2.x one, unless you're ready to go a-patching)
and you can mount appleshared volumes like any other FS. Or, you
can just use nfs; there's a free mac nfsd on HyperArchive.

afpfs: <http://thehamptons.comn/anders/netatalk/mirror/afpfs-1.0b2q2.tar.gz>

  -Rich

-- 
Rich Lafferty ---------------------------------------------------------
IITS/Computing Services  | "How should I know if it works? That's what
Concordia University     |  beta testers are for. I only coded it" -LT
[email-masked] ----------------------------------------[McQ]--