Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and Solaris 7

From: Chris Colburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 09:07:29 -0600 (CST)

I'm new to the list, so please forgive me if this is a FAQ by now (it's
not on the website...):

Is any one using Solaris 7 with netatalk?  I'm running a pretty generic
install of S7 on an Ultra 10, and according to "make kinstall", I can't
get the ddp module to attack to the kernel.  I get the following message
when running "make kinstall" with netatalk-971027, 1.4b2+asun-2.1.3, or
with pre-asun-2.1.4:

# make kinstall
Making kinstall for solaris...
rem_drv ddp
rm -f /usr/kernel/drv/ddp /usr/kernel/strmod/ddp
/usr/ucb/install -c ddp /usr/kernel/drv/ddp
ln /usr/kernel/drv/ddp /usr/kernel/strmod/ddp
/usr/ucb/install -c ddp.conf /usr/kernel/drv/ddp.conf
add_drv -m '* 0666 root sys' ddp
drvconfig: Driver (ddp) failed to attach
Warning: Driver (ddp) successfully added to system but failed to attach
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `kinstall'
Current working directory /home/dude/packages/netatalk-971027/sys/solaris
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `kinstall'

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Colburn
Web Systems Associate
North Central Regional Educational Laboratory (NCREL)
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 09:54:29 -0800 (PST)

> when running "make kinstall" with netatalk-971027, 1.4b2+asun-2.1.3, or

If you're running Solaris 7 in 64-bit mode, then you need to build at
least the kernel driver part of 'netatalk' with a compiler that can
generate 64-bit instruction for the UltaSPARC architecture.  That means
either Sun's 5.0 "Workshop Pro" C compiler, or (so I've heard, haven't
tried it myself) a beta of 'gcc', the one the UltraSPARC Linux folks
use to compile their kernel.  If all you have is the current 'gcc', or
something earlier, you'll have to boot your Sun into the 32-bit kernel
to get 'netatalk' to work.

David S.
[email-masked]

---

From: Jean Richelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:31:12 +0100 (MET)

Dear Chris,

I do use netatalk under Solaris 7. But I had a similar problem.
Here follows what I did to have a working stuff:
NB. I am using the native Sun compiler.

I got the latest version from:
 ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com:/pub/users/asun/testing/pre-asun2.1.4-36a.tar.gz 
Next I executed:
 cd /usr/local/src
 gzip -cd /rubens/dsk1/Archive/pre-asun2.1.4-36a.tar.gz | tar xvf -
 chown -R root:other netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4
 perl -p -i.v1 -e "s/^TCPWRAPDIR/#TCPWRAPDIR/; s/^DESDIR/#DESDIR/;
	s/^PAMDIR/#PAMDIR/;" Makefile
 perl -p -i.v1 -e "s/-DAPPLCNAME/-DAPPLCNAME -DSHADOWPW/;" etc/afpd/Makefile
 perl -p -i.v1 -e "s/^#SPARC64/SPARC64/; s/^CC=/# CC=/;
	s/^KCFLAGS=/# KCFLAGS=/; s/^OPTOPTS=/# OPTOPTS=/;
	s/^CSHAREDFLAGS=/#CSHAREDFLAGS=/; s/^LDSHARED=/# LDSHARED=/;
	s/^LDSHAREDFLAGS=/#LDSHAREDFLAGS=/; s/^#CC=/CC=/; s/^#KCFLAGS=/KCFLAGS=/;
	s/^#OPTOPTS=/OPTOPTS=/; s/^#CSHAREDFLAGS=/CSHAREDFLAGS=/;
	s/^#LDSHARED=/LDSHARED=/; s/^#LDSHAREDFLAGS=/LDSHAREDFLAGS=/;
	s/^#LDFLAGS_EXPORT=/LDFLAGS_EXPORT=/;
	s/# -xarch=v9/ -xarch=v9/;" sys/solaris/Makefile
 perl -p -i.v1 -e "s|^(#include <string.h>)|/*#$1*/|" sys/solaris/tpi.c
 perl -p -i.v1 -e "s|^(#include <string.h>)|/*#$1*/|" sys/solaris/dlpi.c
 make
 make install
 make kinstall
 /etc/init.d/atalk stop
 /etc/init.d/atalk start

Hope it could help you,

Jean

> North Central Regional Educational Laboratory (NCREL)

_____________________________________________________________________________
Jean Richelle <[email-masked]>
Unité de Conformation des Macromolécules Biologiques   Tel: +32 (0)2 650 3587
Université libre de Bruxelles                          FAX: +32 (0)2 648 8954
av. FD Roosevelt 50 - CP160/16, B-1050 Bruxelles, Belgium
_____________________________________________________________________________