Subject: [netatalk-admins] ok - now what?

From: Nicole Lallande <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 17:53:10 -0700

Greetings,

I am now at the point where I can mount the Linux filesystem on the Apple
through the chooser and using Appletalk - but the reverse is not true.  Is
this a function of netatalk or networking configuration?

TIA,

Nicole

PS - must have been the chicken sacrifice...

***********************************
Nicole Lallande
VOX:  760.753.6766
FAX:  760.753.6768
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
______________________________ "Advice to worms:  Sleep late"
www.mipana.com
www.high-techmarketing.com
***********************************

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 14:20:31 +0200 (CEST)

> this a function of netatalk or networking configuration?
gessin' You mean mounting the ressources of a mac runnin' mac-OS-xy ?
then : this is NOT a feature of NetATalk for that purpose You'll have to
use something like NFS or as posted here before:
---cut---
Longer answer: you can get afpfs, which is sort of the opposite of
netatalk and similar conceptually to nfs. Compile into your kernel
(but not a linux-2.2.x one, unless you're ready to go a-patching)
and you can mount appleshared volumes like any other FS. Or, you
can just use nfs; there's a free mac nfsd on HyperArchive.

afpfs:
<http://thehamptons.comn/anders/netatalk/mirror/afpfs-1.0b2q2.tar.gz>

  -Rich
---cut---
> PS - must have been the chicken sacrifice...
must have been just half a chicken :-),
thomas

---

From: Rich Lafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:12:34 -0400

> use something like NFS or as posted here before:

Oh, the irony, here, inasmuch as I was the one who posted here before..
(and apologies for the offtopicness)

> can just use nfs; there's a free mac nfsd on HyperArchive.

Has anyone had any luck with Jude's macnfsd and Linux nfs? I've found
it to work half-decently for reads, but writes get stale locks after
less than a second. Makes backing up that way kind of tricky :-)

  -Rich

-- 
------------------------------ Rich Lafferty ---------------------------
 Sysadmin/Programmer, Information and Instructional Technology Services
   Concordia University, Montreal, QC                 (514) 848-7625
------------------------- [email-masked] ----------------------

---

From: Michael bartosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:00:00 -0500

OK a couple of mos ago I was having probs getting tradational atalk 
running- I was gttg a message along the lines of:

>Starting AppleTalk services:                               [  OK 
>]nbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
>Can't register heretic:Workstation@*
>nbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
>Can't register heretic:netatalk@*

Well I am forced in my dorm to do masqing now so I /really/ want to 
route AppleTalk between en1 (outside world) and en0 (inside). SO- 
this means I have to get atalk running... but I noticed ifconfig 
gives me this for eth0:

>eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:C0:A6:09:B6
>          inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
>          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:60386 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:64657 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:19

Will this stop me from registering on both interfaces? Ideas? Input?

Thanks-

-mab

---

From: "Christian Pomar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 19:32:19 +0200

You can not do that with netatalk. By the way, ¿why would you like to do
something like that? You can exchange files using the linux area that the
Macintoshes see.

Christian