Subject: [netatalk-admins] Possible PAM problems?

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Aug 1999 00:45:16 -0000

Hi.  We're using Netatalk pre-asun2.1.4-35 on an Alpha Linux box and have
come up against a problem with uam_pam.so...  We've replaced the symlink
etc/uams_clrtxt.so (pointing to uams_passwd.so) with etc/uams_pam.so . 
And authentication didn't work at all.  We've successfully used netatalk
with pam support before, so I'm wondering if you guys know what's up. 
Here's some error messages: 

Aug  4 22:09:51 gondor afpd[13632]: cleartext login: nobles
Aug  4 22:09:51 gondor afpd[13632]: PAM unable to 
dlopen(/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so)
Aug  4 22:09:51 gondor afpd[13632]: PAM [dlerror:
/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so: undefined symbol: pam_get_item]
Aug  4 22:09:51 gondor afpd[13632]: PAM adding faulty module:
/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

We've never seen these error messages generated by any other program on
our machine, so it's gotta be a netatalk/pam interaction I would think...
	bjh

p.s. Is there really no current mailing list archives for this list?
Maybe I could work something out so we could have some...

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 11:32:00 -0700 (PDT)

something's screwy with dynamic library loading. anyways, i've worked
around it by linking against -lpam when PAMDIR is set. so, make sure
it's set and recompile afpd.

-a

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 10:22:42 -0400

On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 11:32:00AM -0700, a sun wrote:
}    Aug  4 22:09:51 gondor afpd[13632]: PAM unable to 
}    dlopen(/lib/security/pam_pwdb.so)
}    Aug  4 22:09:51 gondor afpd[13632]: PAM [dlerror:
}    /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so: undefined symbol: pam_get_item]
}    Aug  4 22:09:51 gondor afpd[13632]: PAM adding faulty module:
} 
} something's screwy with dynamic library loading. anyways, i've worked
} around it by linking against -lpam when PAMDIR is set. so, make sure
} it's set and recompile afpd.

This is Linux?  This looks exactly the glibc 2 bug that affects the
Perl module Authen::PAM.  It's fixed in glibc 2.1.

} 
} -a

-- 
Paul Schinder
[email-masked]