Subject: [netatalk-admins] IT WORKS!!

From: Robert G Palmer Jr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 16:39:14 -0400

Well, after biting the bullet and actually trying to install Netatalk
instead of just reading about it and wondering whether I would hose my
system if I did something wrong, I got it installed and working.

Main points of question during my process that could be made clearer.

 * Note: these may not apply if the target audience is assumed to
          have significantly more network admin (UNIX admin) experience
          than myself.

Somewhere indicate that Netatalk+asun is NOT downloading netatalk then
getting some distribution package named asun - instead it is the fully
functional, patched version of Netatalk done by A. Sun.  Netatalk+asun
was referenced many times on the list, but only after asking specifically,
did I learn that it was a seperate distribution of Netatalk, not that
I needed to download an additional package named 'asun'

In the README, indicate that the top level README should be performed
first, THEN the platform specific README - I tried it the other way 
around.

Also, indicate which packages are optional (I thought I NEEDED AFS because
the README tells one to read the AFS README first).  Alas, that is
only a requirement if you are ALREADY using AFS, or WANT to use AFS.

In the Makefiles, provide a description of the additional packages and
where they might be found (e.g., kerberos - what it is, why I might/might 
not
want it, where to get it - or find more info; tcpwrappers - same)  It
turned out that in my case, I turned off ALL the package options and
my install went smoothly and quickly.

These are not complaints, just suggestions.  With a little cautious work
and question asking, I was able to figure out all of the above issues and
get Netatalk installed and functional - it's COOL to have my sun files
available on my Mac desktop!!!

THANKS to everyone who helped me out, and THANKS to A. Sun and the 
developers
of Netatalk.  Now if Samba were as easy to install.

<<-------------------------------------------------------------->>
Robert G. Palmer, Jr.             1009 Commerce Park Drive
[email-masked]                  Oak Ridge, TN 37830
Development Engineer              Voice: (423)-482-3000
Interactive Pictures Corp.        FAX:   (423)-482-5447
http://www.ipix.com              
               -------------------------------------
Any opinions stated herein are solely mine.  In no way, shape,
or form should they be construed as opinions of my employer.
<<-------------------------------------------------------------->>