Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] proxy

From: "Ephraim Franzzup" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 03:41:35 PST

>> I was wondering if there is a way to configure netatalk in such a way 
that
>> it simply passes AppleTalk traffic from one interface to another. An 
idea
>> I've been toying with is putting my machines on a 10BaseT network and 
use
>> a Linux machine as a bridge/firewall between the 10 and 100BaseT 
networks. 
>> This works just fine for TCP/IP traffic, but can this be done with
>> AppleTalk traffic (without setting up another zone)? Any information 
on
>> this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>
>The 2.1 kernel series has properly supported this for a while.  I have 
a
>box running 2.1.132-ac3 w/ netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.1.  It routes just 
fine
>between interfaces if atalkd.conf is properly setup.

I think either you misunderstood the question, or you know something
I'd be very interested in. Albert was asking how to bridge AppleTalk
networks, i.e. he does NOT want to set up AppleTalk routing (zones).

AFAIK, the only way to use netatalk on multiple interfaces is to use
different network number ranges with routing, which means creating at
least one AppleTalk zone name, but this can be undesirable for various
reasons. Apple's AppleShare IP server supports AppleTalk multi-link
multihoming, i.e. you can have several Ethernet cards in a server, each
connected to a different network (which may or may not be connected to
each other with routers), and the server appears on each network
independently. However, it is not necessary to have routing, thus the
different networks can be completely independent. I would be very
pleased to find a way of doing this with Linux/netatalk.

Chris

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: Sak Wathanasin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 15:16:36 +0000

In reply to Ephraim Franzzup's message of the 08/01/99 at 03:41 -0800,

> reasons.

Well, if the only objection is having zones in the Chooser, note that zones can
span networks. I have just one zone here and 2 nets: one for localtalk
(printers etc) and one for the ethertalk Macs. I can either explicitly refer to
the zone name ("NAL") or just "*". Like so:

[root@fe init.d]# /usr/local/bin/nbplkup "=@*"
                             fe:AFPServer                          10.148:128
                             fe:netatalk                           10.148:4
                             fe:Workstation                        10.148:4
                             Ph:ARA - Personal Server              10.228:2
                             Ph:PPCToolBox                         10.228:251
                             Ph:  Power Macintosh                  10.228:252
                             Ph:Workstation                        10.228:4
                             Cr:  Power Macintosh                  10.18:252
                             Cr:Workstation                        10.18:4
                 192.160.195.66:IPADDRESS                          5887.129:72
                           zinc:Megan                              10.191:43
                           zinc:SNMP Agent                         10.191:8
                 192.160.195.66:IPGATEWAY                          5887.129:72
           LaserWriter 4/600 PS:LaserWriter                        5887.131:128

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited
178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

Internet: [email-masked]
Phone: (+44) 1203 419996                    Fax: (+44) 1203 690690