Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Strange problems with Netatalk (AppleTalk)...

From: [email-masked] (William P. McGonigle)
Date: 04 Feb 99 11:46:35 EST

--- Steve Frampton wrote:
The first problem occurs when I attempt to restart the Netatalk package.
Netatalk always starts successfully the first time, when the server is
booted.  However, if I type '/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk stop', followed by
'/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start' (or just do a 'restart'), I get the
following messages:
--- end of quote ---

http://threepio.hitchcock.org/cgi-bin/faq/netatalk/faq.pl?file=54

--- Steve Frampton wrote:
The second problem I am seeing is when the "At Ease" software on the Mac
reads the setup information from the server to a local Mac (this happens
upon boot up).  Sometimes this seems to work flawlessly, and other times
the Mac seems to hang for indeterminant periods of time before it either
succeeds or the angry site administrator reboots the Mac.  This seems to
happen when there is more than one user accessing the shares at a given
time.  (The site administrator is laughing at my multi-user Linux system
for not allowing concurrent access!)  Could this be caused by some sort of
locking issue with the Users.dat/Users.idx file?  Or a problem with the
Netatalk package itself? 
--- end of quote ---

I think the At Ease for WorkGroups (v4+) server (extension) is supposed to deal
with this file, and talk to the macs over the network.  I've never tried
setting it up on a non-Macintosh server...

-Bill