Subject: [netatalk-admins] Adding Printers in Solaris

From: "Michael Mercier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 15:12:10 -0700

Anyone out there know how to setup printers with netatalk on Solaris?

--
Michael Mercier
Department of Information Technology
University of Lethbridge

---

From: Stew Benedict <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 05:32:01 -0500 (EST)

Sloloris has a Tcl/Tk program admintool that makes adding printers easier.
If the printers are already in place and functioning under Solaris, and
are postscript, you can just use the pipeline technique, Solaris seems to
prefer this syntax over the lpr method:  lp:| lp -dhpiii: or whatever your
printer name is. ('lpc status | more' should give you a list).  If they are
not postscript, you'll need to use ghostscript or something else as a
filter.  I've written a simple tclsh script that pipelines the print data
through ghostsript, because papd complained about the length of the lp:
line when I tried to put all the gs options in papd.conf: (the set outhdl
line should be all on one line)
_____________________________________________________________________________

#!/usr/bin/tclsh

set outhdl [open {|/usr/local/bin/gs -q -sColorMode=CMYK -sPrintQuality=normal -
dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=hpdj -sOutputFile=- - -c quit | lpr -Pdeskjet } w]

while { ![eof stdin] } {
        gets stdin buff
        puts $outhdl $buff
}

close $outhdl
_____________________________________________________________________________

Stew

     The power in technology lies in getting it to 
          work the way you do, we can help.
Stew Benedict *** AYS Enterprises *** [email-masked]  
         home.earthlink.net/~stewb IRC: 18063833           
      Phone/Fax: 216-228-3983  Pager: 440-302-6438