Subject: [netatalk-admins] Error -50

From: Daniel Forsyth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:34:43 +0000

Attached is an email I recived from a user today,  Does anyone have any
idea what is happening?

Thanks

--
Dan

Subject: [Fwd: network problem]
From: Ted Florence <[email-masked]>
To: Daniel Forsyth <[email-masked]>
Cc: Chris Iwanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:47:53 -0400

What up?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: network problem
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 10:12:39 -0400
From: Dennis Christopher <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Organization: Avenza
To: Ted <[email-masked]>

Ted,

Can you forward this to Dan? It is an irritating problem that needs to
be fixed.

I want to back up portions of 4.0 devel on liam (under programming) to
zip for ready restore in case anything gets clobbered. When I attempt to
do so I get an avalanche of messages crippling the process. The
complaints are (for 50% of the files) either "error -50" or "file can't
e copied it is in use". Of course no one has the file open in--the
development group at least.

-50 is a param error. It means when the Mac OS requests the file to
copy, the unix network passes it some info back and the Mac OS attempts
the copy; it _attempts_ it but gets a parameter error back from its file
handling routines which would seem to mean it was passed some bum info
from the network.

Dennis

--
Dennis Christopher ([email-masked])
Product Development Manager
Avenza Software, Inc.

---

From: Glen Shere <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:05:00 -0400 (EDT)

> Attached is an email I recived from a user today,  Does anyone have any

Dan,

Our users call us with that error when they reach their disk quota.
They remove some files and try again, and it works fine.

-Glen

---

From: Brandon Warren <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 11:19:46 -0700 (PDT)

It seems to be that -50 is a catch-all error code.  What exactly 
was the user trying to do?

For example, if I try to read files from a linux partition that were
writen by "cp" under Linux, rather than by a Mac over the network,
I get -50 errors if the Mac I am using to read is running OS 8.1,
but have no problems with Mac OS 7.5.5 or 8.5.

Brandon

---

From: Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 10:50:19 -0700 (MST)

I know this question has been asked a number of times on this list and I
have never seen it properly answered. So...

This error can occur when you are trying to copy a file from a Mac to a
netatalk share. The reason for the error is that afpd wants to create an
icon for the file type in the top level .AppleDesktop directory. If this
direcotry is not writeable by the user, you get this error. What made it
hard for me to trouble shoot was that the error doesn't occur all of the
time. If the icon already exists, then of course you don't get the error.

The easiest thing to do (yes you can do all kinds of fancy thinks with
"set gid" but this is easy) is:

su
cd .AppleDesktop
mkdir a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
mkdir A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
chmod 777 *

Tim

Tim Carlson                                  Voice:    (505) 984-8800x255
Director of Computing: Santa Fe Institute    Fax:      (505) 982-0565
WWW: http://www.santafe.edu/~tim             Email:   [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 16:49:05 -0500

> From:    Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> time. If the icon already exists, then of course you don't get the error.

Arguably, this error can just not be returned.  There are cases like
this, for instance when a directory is world writable, but the user is
not in the directory's group, that "chown" errors ought to be dropped.
This error is probably in the same class.

:wes

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 20:06:32 -0800

i agree. i've made the changes in my current snapshot to ignore error
conditions on setdeskowner/setdeskmode. i'll keep this in mind when i
go through and re-vamp the permission bits. which reminds me, i have
the following issues outstanding for releasifying my current
snapshots:

	1) working with os x server. i've progressed a little further
	   with this (nbp lookups work for example), but i haven't
	   fixed it totally. 

        2) kerberos uam. it's really difficult for me to figure out
	   what needs to be done without a spec. in any case, i've
	   added the following two bits to help things along:
	   a) server uams can now save/get cookies from the server via
	      an afpserver_option.
           b) you now pass in a function to uam_afp_read to handle
	      streaming bits. currently, the function passes back
	      (handle, buf, buflen) as arguments. if you think you
	      need anything else, let me know.

        3) dhx password changing. this one's pretty simple. i just
	   haven't had time to finish it up.

        4) i need reports on locking interactions with databases and
           such. if you can cause it to crash, debug and strace logs
           would be helpful. if people are running into problems, i'll
           probably re-do the locking bits as they're massively hokey.

anyways, the only thing i'm definite on are #3 and #4. #1 depends upon
my having enough time to figure out. #2 depends upon my getting a
kerberos uam spec so that i don't have to go through the code and try
to decide on bit sizes and such.

-a