Subject: [netatalk-admins] Progress ... of a sort! LONG (but please read anyway)

From: "J. Guy Stalnaker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:43:29 -0600

Hello again.

My thanks to everyone who contributed posts to help me in my efforst at
getting netatalk compiled and operational.

The good news is that I now have a working system!  Really.

The system is: Slackware 3.6, kernel 2.0.35, netatalk 1.42b+asun1.2.25,
a *home* ethernet (NIC cards in two computers running MacOS 8.1, and a
hub), Linux set up as a standalone network (IP = 10.0.0.0) and atalkd
automatically configured without a router.  I got lpd/lpr configured
correctly by downloading and installing apsfilter and using the setup
script therein (hightly recommended--it works).

I can print to an Apple LaserWriter Select310 connect to the Linux box
either from Linux OR the Macs (and I can use Apple's LaserWriter8.5
software on my Mac and get n-up printing--yeah).  That is, papd
successfully registers the entries in papd.conf to the atalk network and
I can see and use those entries from the Macs and gets files printed.

Problems still persist, though, and thus my email to the lists.

1. When I'm sitting at the Linux box, I can send print jobs to the
printer, but only one at a time!  That is, if there's a job in the queue
and I send a second print job, the second job seems to get lost.  And
there's no message placed in any log file I can find.  It's as if the
second print job goes to /dev/null.  If I wait until the current job is
done, I can print another without problem.  I'm at a loss as to why this
should happen.  I thought the whole point of lpr was to queue multiple
jobs without having to wait.  What's interesting, is that *from the
Macs* we can queue multiple jobs (that is, I did a test and my roommate
and I each sent a print job out at the same time, and *both*  printed).

2. I cannot successfully print a document from my Mac that had embedded
postscript graphics in them, nor can I print a postscript image.
Absolutely nothing happens at the printer end.  A job gets spooled, lpd
talks with the printer, but nothing ever comes out of the printer, and,
again, I can find no logging of any errors from lpd or the printer (and
yes, the lf= option does have a value in the printcap file and I did
check those files).

3. I cannot login to the Linux box via AppleShare from the Macs.  When I
click on AppleShare the volume shows up in the right side window (I have
no zones, however, though I don't think that that's too bizarre since I
have no Appletalk router going, even though I did seed a zonename).  Nor
can I login via AppleShareIP.  Using both ways I get an invalid password
error.  I know that Slackware 3.6 installs a system using shadow
passwords and I know that I compiled netatalk with shadow password
support enabled.  I can successfully login to two different accounts
from a Linux login prompt.

4. I cannot establish either telnet or ftp sessions from the Macs after
I manually configure TCP/IP for our little home network (IP=10.0.0.x,
NetMask=255.0.0.0, no gateway).  I CAN ping both directions (from Linux
to Mac and from Mac to Linux).  When I had this box at work on a network
with values delivered via dhcp, I could establish ftp and telnet
sessions to this box from my office Mac.  So far as I can tell, the only
change is in the IP/Netmask/Gateway/Nameserver values.

I know that this is a lot, and I thank you for reading this far and for
any help you can provide,

Regards,

Guy Stalnaker
*-------------------------------------------------------------*
                        J. Guy Stalnaker
 DoIT-Emerging Media Tech.              [email-masked]
 5752 Tokay Blvd., Suite 200                  wk. 608.263.8035
 Madison WI 53719-1220                        fax 608.265.6681
*-------------------------------------------------------------*

---

From: Randy Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:21:23 -0600

> from a Linux login prompt.

This sounds like a permission problem. What are the permissions of the dir
your serving?
Try first to use a nouser-nogroup share and see if you can get that to work.

> change is in the IP/Netmask/Gateway/Nameserver values.

Can you tell me what the output of two command are ? __ ifconfig and netstat
-nr . The're output would help to figure out your problem. Sounds like your
ip address and or routing isn't right. But you can ping so I may be all wet.
I found if you use dhcp in the past your scripts may be looking for
something still after you configure your system for a static address. So
take a look at them also.