Subject: [netatalk-admins] newbie question about shared dirs

From: "James Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 14:53:55 -0700

Please excuse my ignorance of netatalk. I'm new to netatalk and this
mailing list.

	I'm running Slackware 2.2.6 on my Intel box and I've just installed
netatalk. Almost everything is working great. From a Mac on the network I
can see my server in the Appleshares and select it. I am able to log in with
my username and password. I see my home directory properly and can access
it. The problem is that I have been trying to set up a common area that is
accessible from multiple accounts. I've added the lines:
#volumes
~       Home
/mp3 "MP3 Files"

to my /usr/local/atalk/etc/Applevolumes.default . Permissions are set to
rwxr--r-- root root on both the Applevolumes.default and the
Applevolumes.system. The dir /mp3 exists and has permissions set rwxr-xr-x .
But I still can't see the /mp3 directory. Could sombody please point me in
the right direction? I'm not sure what else to check.

Thanks

Jamie

+--------------------------------------+
James Fraser
System Support Generalist
Information & Educational Technology
Kwantlen University College
[email-masked]
+--------------------------------------+

---

From: Andrew Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 15:08:02 -0700 (PDT)

> the right direction? I'm not sure what else to check.

Did you restart netatalk after changing your configuration?

	Andy

---

From: "James Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 15:11:44 -0700

Yes, thanks. I restarted netatalk and my server.

	I'm also running Samba, could this have anything to do with it?

Jamie

---

From: "Dave (Grizz) Glaser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 07:53:39 -0400 (EDT)

I have essentially the same setup as you except I have the shared directories in AppleVolumes.system rather than AppleVolumes.default. The permissions I have on the directories vary, but they work correctly.

One thing about my setup however, a guest access can see the directories as well as people who log on. It is not a problem on my setup however since no one has write access to those dirs anyway.

Might help out.
Dave

-- 
 David S. Glaser  AKA Grizz	|        
 M&M Systems Administrator      | He wanted to be a pacifist, but I beat 
 419 Michigan St.  Apt. 2   	| him out of it.  -- Kent Frazier 
 Hancock, MI 49930	 	|    
 [email-masked] 		|