Subject: [netatalk-admins] QuarkXPress Files

From: Marcus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 11:39:14 +1200

Just out of interest, is anyone out there experiencing random 
corruptions of QuarkXPress files when working off a netatalk server?

We have 2 clients who are using netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on Intel RedHat 5.2.
They get wicked speeds on 100BaseT, up to 9.1MB/sec, but they seem to 
have more corrupted quark files than normal...

I have checked LF->CR etc...

There doesn't seem to be a pattern, except that they get 1 out of 15 
corrupting....

Thanks in advance

mrad01

---

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 01:55:23 +0200

> There doesn't seem to be a pattern, except that they get 1 out of 15

Hmmm... you should check the mail arhive. If memory serves me right,
there have been some troubles with Quark in the past. Part of it was
that Quark uses persistent dir id:s, something netatalk doesn't support
(yet). I belive there was a fix for it in some quark update recently. 
You don't mention the Quark version... This could be a problem with
certain versions of Quark.

This is from memory; I haven't seen the problem myself. You should get
better answers searching the mail archie at
http://www.umich.edu/%7Ersug/netatalk/archive/ 

Hope this helps anyway...

/Palle

---

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:55:01 -0500 (CDT)

A. I assume you have the LF->CR setup to not convert the files, but stay
	in macintosh only format.
B. Check the size of the 1 file compared to the other 14. I have noticed
	some small quarky problems with passing larger files over the
	netatalk. This has been with the Solaris system and not the Intel
	Linux system though. The complete file may not be getting passed.

---

From: Marcus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:33:59 +1200

>Hope this helps anyway...

Thanks for the ref, but that was to do with links not working 
properly. These files are corrupting and actually freezing the Mac 
when you try to open them. The version is 4.0.4 (current) and 3.3.2r5.

BTW, these machines are in two totally seperate companies....