Subject: [netatalk-admins] Here's the plot.....

From: Mark Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 12:03:44 +1100

This is another one of those..... 'cannot see server in Chooser' Q's.

I've scanned the 1998 Netatalk-Admin archive & the 1999 for clues.....

I've tried all the hints...... & I think I've narrowed it down to
Appletalk broadcast packets not getting to or past my firewall.

I'm running 7.6.1 on the 68030 based Mac..... I've not seen a 680n0
Chooser that will get me IP access to afsd.

I have whole list of machine specs.... things I've done.... I can mail
them in a follow-up.... I hoping this is the short cut... having done
most of what usually recommended.

The firewall is ipchains based. the networks are internal 192 C
classes.... with rules allowing all packets across these nets.... when I
do a tcpdump on the server I see the at-lap packets with some
numbers.... though tcpdump on the corresponding interface on the
firewall does not........
Another clue is that when I scout for PS printers... I see a aarp packet
on the interface... followed by lots of at-lap packets.... but I do not
see the aarp going out of the server... just the at-lap's....

I am using DLink 530tx cards...... via-rhine......version 1.0 on the
server and the firewall.....Linux 2.2.10 kernels on both.........
There is a version 1.02b on Donald Becker's site......should I inch up
to this or is there another path I should be on?

Regards, Mark Turner