Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] ASIP ok, no Classic AppleTalk services

From: Russell Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 22:07:15 -0400 (EDT)

Problem solved!

A Sun wrote:
> 
> erk. i mistakenly read /etc/services instead of /etc/protocols. you
> don't need anything in /etc/protocols.

Thanks. I installed my 3com Etherlink III card (3c509 driver) and
everything works just fine. Apparently, the Intel Ether Express can't
handle the multicast, I guess. But, the good news is that the 3com
Etherlink III (3C509B model) works just great. So if you were keeping a
compatibility list somewhere, you can add that info.

Thanks again for all your help. I *NEVER* would have suspected a hardware
problem. 

Russ Hoffman
[email-masked]

---

From: Albert Max Lai <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 04:17:38 -0400 (EDT)

> > don't need anything in /etc/protocols.

Well, a lot of us have the Intel EtherExpress running in our machines,
but you have to limit the multicast filter by putting the following line
in /etc/conf.modules:

options eepro100 multicast_filter_limit=3 

It is not a hardware problem, but a driver problem. I would wish that
someone would get around to figuring out how to make it work without that
fix.

--
Albert Lai <[email-masked]>           1018D East Campus
Residential Computer Consultant           411 W. 116th St.
Columbia University                       New York, NY 10027
http://www.columbia.edu/~aml61            (212)853-4854

---

From: Derrick Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 07:48:49 -0400 (EDT)

I've had no problems with the Intel EtherExpress Pro (PCI) under kernel
2.2.5.  Maybe it's fixed, or maybe I'm just lucky.

> > Thanks again for all your help. I *NEVER* would have suspected a hardware

==============================================================================
 Derrick Miller                                           
 [email-masked]                                         COMPLEX Productions
 http://www.fred.net/phuture/                                
==============================================================================

---

From: Russell Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:46:41 -0400 (EDT)

> someone would get around to figuring out how to make it work without that

Is there a document somewhere that shows that option? I couldn't find it
in the various netatalk documentation that I have. Can you point me at a
URL or ftp address of such documentation? Thanks.

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 07:28:53 -0700 (PDT)

fyi, i stuck a little info on problem ethernet cards in README.ASUN
sometime in pre-asun2.1.4.

-a