Subject: [netatalk-admins] alias test

From: Dave Ritter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 17:50:14 -0700

I was just curious...

If you can, test your aliases on your netatalk server.

make an alias of a folder from a mac on your server (make several different
ones) 

copy these aliases to your mac's desktop

drag the mounted server volumes to the trash (log out completly)

log back in with the same username and password

try your aliases, see if they open the folders that you expected

I'm woundering why this problem has come back, and I would like to know this
has happened to anyone else.

I thought my alias problems were gone with the 2.1.3 release.

---

From: Chuck Sumner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 00:57:38 -0800

I am having the same floating aliases problem. My users are most 
unhappy. Is there a fix?
Anyone?

Chuck

>I thought my alias problems were gone with the 2.1.3 release.

# Chuck Sumner
# Senior Staff Technologist
# www.learn2.com
# 415/332.8502.x.420

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 18:50:47 -0800

i guess i should step in here and clarify the issue. aliases will get
confused with mac oses that are pre-8.6. that's because netatalk
doesn't currently have a notion of a permanent directory/file id. the
mac os alias manager happens to use that to shortcut aliases. in 8.6,
the alias manager will actually resolve the pathname that's also
stored in the alias file, so aliases will work if you don't already
have a file/directory id dynamically allocated to it. unfortunately,
if you do, things get confused again. 

oh yeah, there's some preliminary work in my current development
snapshot for persistent file/directory id support. however, i decided
to hold off on that for the full-blown db support that netatalk
needs. 

does that clarify things?

-a

---

From: Jens Brambring <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 17:08:53 +0100

> >I thought my alias problems were gone with the 2.1.3 release.

Maybe you have compiled cnid support into you 2.1.3 release, this seems
to be
broken in 2.1.4x. The things that cause the alias problem are also a problem
for many application (Pagemaker not finding pictures, Retrospect trys to backup
the wrong folder...) and I would be happy if the cnid stuff would work
again 
(and hopefully stable, I got some problems in a larger Network and asun 2.1.3).

Ciao, Jens Brambring and sorry for my english

---

From: Tom Kunz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:39:48 -0500

Oh, please please please please continue work on making persistent
DID's!  I (well, my company, not me) really needs that desperately, and
as quickly as possible.  We keep hitting things were netatalk "isn't
quite the same as MacOS" with those DID's. It would make life an order
of magnitude more enjoyable.  Is this limited by the lack of file
locking for ext2, or are you waiting on some other separate db support? 
(we might be able to fool around with the lock stuff from GFS, if it's a
lock manager you need)

Thanks,
Tom

-- 
Tom Kunz    Tool Developer   Software Consulting Services
PGP Key http://www.users.fast.net/~tkunz/pgp.html
1452 1F99 E2BB 632E  6EAE 2DF0 EF11 4DFC
DB62 7EBC 3BA0 6C40  88C0 C509 DA85 91B4  D5E9 EFD3

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 22:15:57 -0800

on 11/22/1999 12:39 PM, Tom Kunz at [email-masked] wrote:

> of magnitude more enjoyable.

Allow me to echo this sentiment.

While I have no trouble at all understanding the value of the developmnet
cycle, many of the clinets that I try to hoist linux onto, do have an issue
with the server not being 100% like the MacOS - mostly, the issue of broken
folder alias' is the main , if not only, issue they have).

If that issue were addressed and resolved, it would be one more step towards
world-domination...for netatalk :-)

Harry

---

From: Joe Auty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 01:39:42 -0500

I'm still having no problem with making aliases in MacOS 9...