Subject: [netatalk-admins] Long file names?

From: Aneel Nazareth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 12:16:32 -0700

Files with filenames longer than 31 characters don't show up when I 
look at a netatalk shared directory on my Mac. Is this usual? Is 
there a way around it?

I'm using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on a Redhat 6.0 machine, and using 
MacOS 8.5 to browse.

Thanks,
Aneel

-- Aneel Nazareth -- http://chthonic.net/nazareth -- (415) 355-1704 --

---

From: Andy Lyttle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 12:56:50 -0700

> I'm using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on a Redhat 6.0 machine, and using

As far as I know, yes, this is normal.  I haven't seen a workaround.

--

    ~ Darth Phroggy, Lord of Darkness ([email-masked])

---

From: Larry Kollar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:00:17 -0400

>> look at a netatalk shared directory on my Mac. Is this usual?
>>

In the Finder, long files show up with truncated names but I can't
access them. (netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 on an MkLinux box)

I've found the easiest way to truncate a bunch of long file names is to
simply FTP them to the Mac, and hope they stay unique. :-)

	Larry

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 22:15:45 +0200 (MEST)

> look at a netatalk shared directory on my Mac. Is this usual? Is 

Yes, this is usual because of the Finder will horribly crash when it sees
such files. Adrian had this fixed a few versions ago.
There's no way around it from the Mac-Side. Use telnet to rename the files
in the shell (so do I).

:wq! PoC