Subject: [netatalk-admins] solaris 2.6 vs netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3

From: "validgh.com firewall administrator" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 14:40:01 -0700 (PDT)

On a somewhat patched solaris 2.6 SPARCstation I have built netatalk
and gotten it sort-of-working:   from Macs running 7.6.1 or 8.0 I can
see read-only, as "guest", any directories I list in AppleVolumes.system.

When I try to log in as a user, though, my password is accepted and then
nothing happens and the login window eventually times out saying the 
"The connection to this server has been unexpectedly broken".    This happens
quickly on the 8.0 Mac, and eventually on the 7.6.1.    If I try an
incorrect password, the incorrectness is noticed immediately and the Mac
asks me to re-enter it.
I am using clear-text passwords.

I do see messages like these from time to time on the console:

Jul  4 14:26:35 validgh-f afpd[8338]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
Jul  4 14:26:45 validgh-f afpd[8338]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection timed out

snoop apple on the sparcstation shows lots of messages like these

           ? -> *            ETHER Type=809B (EtherTalk (AppleTalk over Ethernet)), size = 93 bytes
           ? -> *            ETHER Type=809B (EtherTalk (AppleTalk over Ethernet)), size = 43 bytes

I compiled as follows with egcs 1.1.2 in the main Makefile:

#TCPWRAPDIR=/usr                         to avoid tcp.h
#DESDIR=/usr/local                       to avoid des.h

and

CFLAGS= ${DEFS} ${AFSDEFS} ${KRBDEFS} ${DESDEFS} ${OPTOPTS} ${INCPATH} \
        ${PAMDEFS} -DAPPLCNAME -DSHADOWPW

in etc/afpd to enable shadow passwords, though it didn't seem to make any
difference.

I seem to have run out of FAQs to read.    I'd appreciate any clues from
anybody that has seen these symptoms before.    Unfortunately I know nothing
about AppleTalk and would like to learn as little as possible about that!
I'm trying to rid myself of licensed software headaches.    I have been
using Totalnet and seem to be able to take care of PC's with samba, but I
can't get rid of Totalnet until I find a solution for Macs.

David Hough

[email-masked]