Subject: [netatalk-admins] papd

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 99 17:50:19 -0800

with lots of help from folks on the list (thanks!), i set up an mklinux 
box and (netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0) to spool for three printers. it 
actually functions quite reliably, but printing speeds from various 
applications vary tremendously.

for example, printing from netscape (something we do a lot of since all 
of our staff and wire pictures are accessed via a web client) is much 
faster through the spooler - on the order of ten times faster.

however, printing from quark is a different story; it is fastest printing 
via laserwriter 7 directly to the printer; a little slower using 8.3.4; 
and over a minute (!!) to print the same 600 dpi 8.5 x 11 page using 
8.3.4 and the spooler.

as an aside, i can't spool at all using laserwriter 7. it just sits there 
and the clock spins, "preparing data".

i guess the simple question is "does anyone know of a laserwriter driver 
that both works and is fast(er than not spooling) for most or all 
applications, but mostly quark xpress?"

thanks.

------------
Paul Krohn
San Francisco Examiner Systems Department
110 Fifth Street
San Francisco, CA  94103
415-777-7884
[email-masked] - www.examiner.com