Subject: [netatalk-admins] Howto establish a zone?

From: Peter Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:51:45 +0100

I have a network with a Linux box and a Mac workstation.

How do I cause the Linux box, running netatalk, publish a zone?
I specified -zone "blah blah" on the interface line.
Also, getzones *doesnt* work on the linux server (it times out).

The workstation can see the server, and it works, but there are no zones.

Please reply direct.  I'm not on the list.

Regards
Peter Miller	E-Mail:	[email-masked]
/\/\*		WWW:	http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~millerp/
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are personal and do not necessarily
	reflect the opinion of my employer or the opinions of my colleagues.

---

From: "Guillaume Menguy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:07:37 +0100

I'm also having exactly the same problem. Please reply both on the list and
to Peter.
Another question to add : is it possible to "capture" a printer port, in
order
to prevent users from printing directly to the printer.

---

From: Matthew Geier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 07:17:52 +1100

> The workstation can see the server, and it works, but there are no zones.

 Getzones asks an AppleTalk router for the zone list doesnt it?. If
there are no AppleTalk routers, no zones?.

 Netatalk doesnt become an AppleTalk router.  Can it be configured to be
one ?.

 (Not that I would want to, we have enough problems caused by 'rogue'
appletalk routers as it is. :-)

---

From: Michael Bartosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:50:03 -0600

What's the status... is traditional AppleTalk supported at this time? 
I remember a w hile ago it was not.

Thanks.

-mab

---

From: ME <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 14:01:19 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Michael Bartosh wrote:
> Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk on MacOS X Server?

I created an intranet with 1 IP MASQ router (Linux Box), 1 Mac OS X
Server, 1 new G3, 1 iMac, and a laptop running Linux, and the G3, and iMac
(OS 8.1, and 8.61? (I think)) were able to see the Mac OS X Server shares
within the chooser file sharing. The Mac OS X Server also allowed me to
create a Zone. In this way I am fairly certain that AppleTalk over
ethernet was likely supported. AppleTalk over IP was supported in Mac OS X
(I am sure of this)

I did not try LocalTalk. Are you referring to LocalTalk?

-ME
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Systems Department Operating Systems Analyst for the Ruben Salazar Library
              of California State University at Sonoma.
  /UNIX(/BSD/SysV)\N_NW[.]VMS\WNTS\WNTW\W95\W311\WFWG\DOS:MacOS/NeXTSTEP  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: ME <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:42:43 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Matthew Geier wrote:
> Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Howto establish a zone?
> Peter Miller wrote:

As I recall, netatalk does not support creation of Zones. Without a zone
from an AppleTalk Router (FastPath etc) there is no zone except "*"
available.

As a side point, if you have a Mac OS X Server available to you, you can
use the server to create a zone, and then have the netatalk server join
it. (Tested this when I made iMac/new G3 machines do that net booting
thing from a Linux box on an IntraNet with no AppleTalk Routers, except
the Mac OS X Server which had routing capabilities.)

-ME

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 12:43:30 -0800

> Netatalk doesnt become an AppleTalk router.  Can it be configured to be

That's aways been a question on m mind as well, seeing as how Win NT has a
half-assed way ofcreating AppleTalk zones.

Is there some Linux/Unix tool that allows doing the same?

Harry

---

From: "Russell Kerrison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:51:26 +1100

Hi,

I've been running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 for a few months under Redhat
5.2. On the whole it has been quite trouble-free, but for a few niggling
problems. I've hunted about the net looking for info but haven't found an
answer. I've just joined this list, so I apologise in advance if this
question has been answered before.

I sometimes have a Mac render to a network volume. If the render is short
(~6 minutes) there is no problem, however for any jobs significantly longer
the application (Adobe After Effects) announces at the end of the render
that it was unable to close the file.

I am guessing this is a function of some timeout value within Netatalk,
however I have been unable to find any reference to it. Can anyone suggest a
solution?

Thanks,
Russell.

-----------------------------------------------
Russell Kerrison
Bearcage Productions
Ph. +61 2 6248 8444 - Fx. +61 2 6248 8288

---

From: ME <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:32:18 -0800 (PST)

Very nice! :)

I D/L compiled, set up 2.1.3 and though I did not find any documention in
the READMEs, on the setup, a strings on the binary gave me enough
qualified error messages on "router" option that I was able to figure to
add -router first, and then -zone "zone name" after the other options, and
it appears to work...

Source code has more documentation on this than strings on the binary, but
it is very cool for my home LAN.

Example for zone set up in my atalkd.conf:
eth0 -router -phase 2 -net X-YYYY -addr XXXXX.YY -zone "Nerd House"

Went out and ran "getzones" from a different linux box, it shows me my new
zone "Nerd House"

My mistake. The earlier version of asun-netatalk did not support this, but
at least 2.1.3 does...

The Changelog had this to say on the topic (only references I found on
this...)

In the new Changelog:
1998-08-28  a sun  <[email-masked]>
        * etc/atalkd/config.c,main.c: -router now specifies router mode
        with any number of interfaces.
1998-08-27  a sun  <[email-masked]>
        * etc/atalkd/main.c (as_timer): well, i figured out how to set up
        atalkd as a single-interface router. now, you can get zones with
        only single interfaces! i'm only waiting on wes for the approved
        configuration toggle.

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, a sun wrote:
> i'm not sure if it works in asun2.1.3, but my current snapshots have
> the -router option that allows you to do single-interface routing.

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 16:07:23 -0800

-a

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 22:29:49 -0800

hmm. there should be something in config/atalkd.conf as well.

-a