Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] OS 8.5+ and copying applications to shared filesystems

From: Brian Bergstrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 08:31:28 -0500

> From: [email-masked]
> Hi again,
> 	I'm trying to make use of netatalk for our site and while I've 
> been quite successful using pre-asun2.1.4-35, I seem to have run into 
> some rather strange behavior.
>
> 	If I want to copy anything that MacOS recognizes as an
> application, using OS 8.5 or higher, the file appears to transfer
> properly but at the end the Mac shows me that the file couldn't be 
> coppied because "error type -50 occured".  Looking through  
include/asp.h,
> it would seem that all the error codes are -50##.  Not especially  
useful
> it seems.
-50 and -50## are not the same error(s). -50 is 'paramErr' and -50##  
are all AppleTalk
errors. pararmErr is returned from a function when one of the  
parameters is invalid. For instance if a function expects a valid  
pointer, but it receives a NULL instead it will return
a paramErr.

As for why you are getting the error, I can't say for sure. Does it  
happen over both IP and ATALK? Is the error dependant on the size of  
the file being copied? I know that 8.5 has trouble with routers  
(mainly CISCO) set to some mode that I forget the name of now.

[snip]

--
Brian Bergstrand
Systems Programming, Northern Illinois University
GCS/IT/MU d-(+) s++: a- C++++$ UL/N++++$ P+> L+++$ E- W+++$ N++ o?  
K? w---$ O M++$ V- PS(--)@ PE++@ Y+ PGP+> t 5- X+(++) R- tv+ b++ DI+  
D G++ e++ h(+) r-> y+>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 11:58:41 -0700

This happens when I set the afpd server to both -noddp and
-notcp.  The error occurs with SimpleText (about 120k) and Netscape
Communicator (about 10 Megs).

	We have some site-specific patches to enable root to do
root things on the server, and it appears that when the client has
root privledges, copying the application works flawlessly.  On the 
assumption that my patches were making bad things happen, I replaced
our afpd with the "stock" pre-asun afpd and noticed the same problems.
Another member of this list has also seen similar difficulties. 

	Again, similar simptoms have been seen in both 8.5 and 8.6.
I'm also unsure whether or not a router is involved -- both machines
are on switched ports on the same subnet.  It would seem to me that
the router would never get into the conversation at all, but I'm not
a network engineer.

/* Sam */