Subject: RE: [netatalk-admins] This is becoming annoying ...

From: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:17:49 -0800

Sorry I missed the earlier messages...

>I put a sym link /etc/atalkd.conf -> /usr/atalk/etc/atalkd.conf

The "default" installation, I'm pretty sure, puts its files in
/usr/local/atalk and not /usr/atalk.  Did you change that behavior?

In fact with the asun version everything should get installed where it needs
to go so there shouldn't need to be any symlinking.

Also, with the exception of Solaris atalkd.conf gets created automatically
if it doesn't exist.

Does this help at all (or am I way off here).

Marc

---

From: "J. Guy Stalnaker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 23:03:47 -0600 (CST)

> Does this help at all (or am I way off here).

Mark,

I changed the default install location for my own peace of mind (the orignial:
/usr/local/atalk had been used by a previous pre-compiled install and I
wanted to put my compiled install somewhere else).  In any case, it
shouldn't matter where things get "make install"ed to--the sym links all
point to the executables and the config files.

While atalkd.conf may get created if it's non-existant, that doesn't mean
that atalkd will work.  What I have, actually, is created by atalkd when it
starts, but I still can't get to the box from a Mac (as I said in the
email) nor can I get there via IP (I can't login).

Another reply mentioned shadow passwords.  My first compile of atalk did
not include the -DSHADOWPW flag, but I have since re-compiled atalkd with
the flag.  Made no difference.

Any other ideas?

Guy

                                                 ____________
-------------------------------------------------\__________/-----
J. Guy Stalnaker                                  \________/
[email-masked]                         \______/
http://bagend.doit.wisc.edu/theguy                  \____/
Live your life so you've no regrets!                 \__/
------------------------------------------------------\/----------