Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk rpm installation

From: Kerstetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 14:22:41 -0500

I just installed netatalk on RedHat 5.1 using the RPM from RedHat's
contributions ftp site. Someday I will upgrade to 6.0, but first things
first.

Everything in the installation seemed to go okay. There were no error
messages or anything like that and afpd is running. However I cannot see
anything in the Chooser. I suppose it has to do with IP addresses or the
config files in /etc/atalk:

AppleVolumes.default
AppleVolumes.System
afpd.conf
atalkd.conf.
papd.conf

This is a very small network with RedHat running on an Intel machine and
several iMacs currently just talking to each other via AppleTalk over
TCP/IP. I really know nothing about what should go in the net configuration
on the Linux box. The software set that up during installation, but I have
no way of knowing if it is a reasonable setup for a small network.

Where do I find information on what to do with these?  I have already
looked at

http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/

Their information is for people who are compiling and installing. I am
fairly new to Linux and am just learning.

Help.

Bob Kerstetter

---

From: Alex Satrapa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 15:23:24 +1000

>contributions ftp site. Someday I will upgrade to 6.0, but first things

First thing - run "modprobe appletalk". If that loads the appletalk module,
your problem is somewhere else.

If that can't find the appletalk module, you'll need to go to your Linux
source (usually installed under /usr/src/linux), run "make menuconfig" and
under "Networking Options", select "Appletalk DDP" as a module (press 'M',
and you should get an <M> next to the option).

Now save your kernel settings, then run "make dep clean zImage modules
modules_install". You may be able to get away without reinstalling your
kernel - that's always the hardest bit, especially if you use Lilo.

If you already have the appletalk module, and it's installed, but the
netatalk daemons aren't working, you've got other problems.

Regards
Alex
Alex Satrapa                           Phone: +61 2 6257 7111
Senior Internet Engineer               Fax:   +61 2 6257 7311
tSA Consulting Group Pty Limited
1 Hall Street Lyneham ACT 2602         http://www.topic.com.au

---

From: Konstantin Reznitsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:42:45 -0400 (EWT)

After startup of the system and "atalk start": 
1. Type "ps -x" make sure that you see atalkd, afpd, papd
2. Type "ifconfig" make sure that there is AppleTalk record on the network
interface you are using.
If not make sure that your interface(s) in the /etc/atalk/atalkd.conf are
configured correctly. The simplest case will be:
"eth0" alone on the line, you can also put phase, but no network numbers.
After restart of netatalk this line has to change to your existing network
settings. If it does - your atalkd is working. 
3. Bring some macs up on the network and type "nbplkup" it has to show you
mac services on the network.
And a question: "I don't see anything in the choser" - no server, or no
shares on the server? If no server make sure you do not have another
computer on the net with the same name. If server is there but no shares
take a look at the /etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default. You have to have at
least "~" in that file for the home directories.

One more thing to check out. Make sure that your macs are not locked in
the certain network number(range). It is possible to do, and if such a mac
comes up when the network address is already assigned by the server or
somebody else it will not see anything and you will begin getting error
messages from atalkd in the /var/log/messages. 

Konstantin.