Subject: [netatalk-admins] Ethernet card problems

From: Jason Tuomy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 10:32:29 -0800

This has happened twice now so I would like to share this experience.  I
now have a file server running netatalk+asun and an Oracle server.  At
first both boxes came with Intel Pro/100 cards.  Everything seemed fine
until I ran the netatalk rpm and rebooted.  All of a sudden I would get
a large amount of collisions and packet losses and my Mac's would start
to drop their connections or just freeze up.  I'm not a hacker or
anything, so I tried a little different approach.  The first time I
thought it was just a bad NIC card, because when I replaced the Intel
card with a 3Com Fast Etherlink 10/100 (3c905b-tx) everything was
fixed.  But when it happened the second time, I replaced only the card
and it worked just fine again.  Just thought people might be
interested.  Good work asun on 2.1.3.  Works like a charm for us.

---

From: Eddie Irvine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 06:38:01 +1000

Sounds to me like the duplexing was wrong, and until 
you started running a file server, you never noticed.
  
Eddie.

---

From: Albert Max Lai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 15:57:19 -0500 (EST)

> first both boxes came with Intel Pro/100 cards.  Everything seemed fine

The Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 driver (eepro100) is slightly broken. It
has problems with multicasting. So, to fix this, you have to insert this
line into your /etc/conf.modules: 
options eepro100 multicast_filter_limit=3

If there is anyone maintaining some sort of a FAQ, this should probably be
in there.

--
Albert Lai <[email-masked]>           1018D East Campus
Residential Computer Consultant           411 W. 116th St.
Columbia University                       New York, NY 10027
http://www.columbia.edu/~aml61            (212)853-4854