Subject: [netatalk-admins] Newbie with problems

From: Paul Stephens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:04:28 +1000

Hi,

I know that this has probably been already answered in previous FAQ's, but
I either couldn't understand the answers, (or else just stupid), when I
went through them.

Anyway, I have just changed over to Netatalk (   ) from CAP V6.0 after
upgrading our Sun server to SOLARIS 2.7 (7, 5.7,etc) from 2.5.1.
Everything has gone really well except that none of our Apple users files
can be recognised unless I copy them all down from the server through the
old separate CAP sun server, (which I restarted again with the users drives
NFS'd to it), to the users Mac and then back to the new server running the
Netatalk.  When I do this all the file icons and types are great.   I have
checked that the default Unrecognised file type is NOT text (current
setting is:  .  BINA  UNIX) and so far the files aren't getting corrupted
by the system at all.  I also have a fairly large file translation list in
the AppleVolumes.system file, although I can't seem to get my hands on the
complete lists mentioned in previous years FAQ's.

I guess it comes down to: Is there any easier way of getting Netatalk to
recognise files currently on the system (apart from MS word files which for
some reason it does recognise), without having to copy them through the old
CAP system into the new netatalk via a Mac - there are about 60 users each
with up to 1GB of files.

Thanks in advance for any help to a dumb newbie.

regards

Paul Stephens
IT Manager
Macfarlane Burnet Centre for Medical Research
Yarra Bend Road
Fairfield  Victoria  3078

Ph: +61 3 9282 2181
Fax: +61 3 9282 2100
Email: [email-masked]

"If you think NT is the answer, you didn't understand the question"

---

From: Stuart Mackay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:01:33 +0100 (BST)

Paul Stephens <[email-masked]> wrote:
>old separate CAP sun server, 

We've just been through converting our system in exactly the same way.
CAP stores Mac-style resource and finderinfo stuff in a different way
from netatalk.  A clever person in our department wrote a program which
converts files (running on the Solaris server) by reading using the CAP
format and writing using the netatalk appledouble libraries.  There are
some restrictions - it doesn't understand compressed resource forks and
we had to fiddle the afpd to help folders with custom icons convert
correctly into appledouble version one format.

He also cooked-up a program to rebuild the desktop on each separate
volume, as the Mac can't be persuaded to do this.  This fixes icon
issues with applications on the server volumes.  Again, there are
limitations as it does not get the colour icons all right.

If we can figure out the copyright issues of mixing the two libraries, and
I can persuade the author to make the code presentable, we hope to submit
these additions to the asun package. We also have CAP-style basic print
authentication by requiring users to mount a volume before printing. As of
8pm last night it's in production use, so wish us luck !

Cheers,
Stuart Mackay.

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stuart Mackay                                Voice: +44 (0)141 330 2906
Internet: [email-masked]                FAX: +44 (0)141 330 4419
Lab. A5-26, Chemistry Department, Glasgow University, Glasgow, UK, G12 8QQ