Subject: [netatalk-admins] Remote TCP/IP Postscript Printer

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 19:18:49 -0500 (CDT)

Hello, we have a remote TCP/IP Postscript printer on a seperate network
accessible over the internet. I have setup the remote printer in the
/etc/printcap properly such that I can print any file successfully from
our Linux ix86 2.2 server. The printer is the Apple LaserWriter 12/640 PS.

I have set up the entry in the papd.conf file as follows:
12640_PS:\
	:pr=lp:pd=/var/spool/lpd/lwc4546e.ppd:op=root:
lwc4546e.ppd is the 12/640 PPD pulled from the Macintosh.

When I send print jobs from a machintosh to this printer through the papd,
the jobs seem to get stuck in the lp queue.
However I can go to the queued files and directly send them to the lp
device via 'lpr -Plp /var/spool/lpd/lwc4546e/queuedFile' and the job
prints out fine and normal.

So it works fine if I go to the shell at the machine and directly feed the
queued jobs to lpr. 
Does anyone know how to fix this so jobs will print through papd to lpr 
without my direct intervention?

Oh, and, as suggested by a Netatalk FAQ, I have tried to pipe to lpr:
12640_PS:\
	:pr="|lpr -plp":pd=/var/spool/lpd/lwc4546e.ppd:op=root:
But this has no success. I have tried many other ways suggested by FAQs.

Does anyone have an answer?

+------------------------------------------+    -----russ-----
   Russell E Glaue       [email-masked]       Technologies Engineer

                Center for the Application of Information Technologies
                101 Horrabin Hall,  1 University Circle
                Western Illinois University
                Macomb, Illinois 61455
                http://cait.wiu.edu     http://www.cait.org

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 08:21:18 +0200

>the jobs seem to get stuck in the lp queue.

What's the Output of lpq?

:wq! PoC

---

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 08:16:10 -0500 (CDT)

> What's the Output of lpq?

First lpq reports a normal status (NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN being TCP/IP Number) :

 hostname.cait.org: sending to NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN
 Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
 1st    root       33   Netscape: netatalk                    364553 bytes

But then 2 to 3 seconds later lpq reports no daemon:

 hostname.cait.org: Warning: no daemon present
 Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
 1st    root       33   Netscape: netatalk                    364553 bytes

I've tried restarting the lpd, stoping and restarting through lpc. I've
read as much documentation as I could find with no promising results.
/var/spool/lpd/lwc4546e/status (the status file for this queue) always
contains
sending to NNN.NNN.NNN.NNN

Anyone have any leads to an answer?

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:13:50 +0200

>Anyone have any leads to an answer?

The host on the far side has no firewall which prevents getting lp-data through?
Perhaps it could be useful for you to fiddle a bit with tcpdump.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:28:11 -0500 (CDT)

There is no firewall.
I can send any kind of print job I want to that printer directly from the
netatalk linux host with lpd using the lpr command. It works absolutely
great. I have it set as lp. So `lpr -Plp file_to_print.ps` works fine.
	However when I print to this `lp` remote printer on the linux
netatalk host through papd from a macintosh, then I get the errors as I
have been identifying.
	Now if I take that queued file I would have just sent from the Mac
through papd to `lp` on the linux netatalk host and resend it through lpd
using something like:
	`lpr -Plp /var/spool/lpd/lwc4546e/dfA036hostname.cait.org`
Then the job that I need printed comes out. (However of course
dfA036hostname.cait.org will still remain queued in the spool being that I
just printed a copy of the queued job and not the actual job itself).

So how do I get jobs I send from a macintosh through papd to print out
without my intervention like I described above?

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:30:08 +0200

>without my intervention like I described above?

I think, I don't know where's the problem is. Exactly (?) the same constellation works here for me very fine:
LaserWriter 8.4.2 prints via netatalk 1.4b2+asun-2.1.3 (linux-2.0.36/libc-5.4.44) into a local lpr (old BSD) spooler which then forwards it over a ISDN link to another machine with the same configuration which itself spills it into the DirectJet of the remote LaserJet 5M.
This works very fine here.

:wq! PoC