Subject: [netatalk-admins] how to force the zone of afpd

From: Jean Richelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 17:23:13 +0100 (MET)

Dear all,

The afpd server shows up in a given zone that is not the one we use for
the Mac in our group. How to change it ?
I tried editing the atalkd.conf leaving only the desired target zone, but
when atalkd is restarted it recreates automatically the file with other
zones and the desired one in third position. I tried also stoping afpd
and relaunching it withe "-n ulb.sc.ucmb"  but then the afpd server
appears as "ulb.sc.ucmb" in the other zone ! Note that I am running my
server in order to have AppleShareIP services.

Thank you for any suggestion.

Jean

_____________________________________________________________________________
Jean Richelle <[email-masked]>
Unité de Conformation des Macromolécules Biologiques   Tel: +32 (0)2 650 3587
Université libre de Bruxelles                          FAX: +32 (0)2 648 8954
av. FD Roosevelt 50 - CP160/16, B-1050 Bruxelles, Belgium
_____________________________________________________________________________

---

From: Andrew Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 08:43:48 -0800 (PST)

> server in order to have AppleShareIP services.

You were close to right.  Use afpd with "-n @other_zone".  From the
nbp_name man page:

       The  argument  of  afpd(8)'s  -n  option  is  parsed  with
       nbp_name().   The default value of obj is the first compo-
       nent of the machine's hostname (as returned by  gethostby-
       name(3)).  The default value of type is ``AFPServer'', and
       of zone is ``*'', the default zone.  To cause afpd to reg-
       ister  itself  in  some  zone  other than the default, one
       would invoke it as

              afpd -n @some-other-zone

       obj and type would retain their default values.

Enjoy...

	Andy

---

From: Jean Richelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 23:12:59 +0100 (MET)

Hi Andy,

Thank you very much, it works now - that's great. I should have read the
man page more carefuly.

Cheers,

Jean

---

From: Andrew Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:40:38 -0800 (PST)

This was from the nbp_name man page, but it really should be mentioned in
the afpd man page as well.  It is useful to read through all the man pages
installed by netatalk as there are several well-hidden features
mentioned...  :)

	Andy