Subject: [netatalk-admins] pre-asun2.1.2-6 available

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:51:54 -0800 (PST)

this *snapshot* merges in the umich 990130 code. for those that don't
know what's in there, here's a synopsis of the major changes:
     1) solaris fixes (STREAMS driver & printer stuff)
     2) switch to a select()-driven timeout mechanism for ATP and PAP.
     3) some other sundry printer accounting changes

finished sendfile support:
  if you're using a version of *bsd that has sendfile() support, add
  -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_BSD to the DEFS line and let me know if everything
  still works for you.

  also, if you're using linux 2.2.x on a 100BaseT network (or better),
  add in -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX and let me know if you see a
  difference in copying speed. doing a test with helios lantest would
  probably be a good idea. fyi, with sendfile(), afpd should now have
  the fastest possible server-side copy on linux. it even shaves a few
  seconds on a 24MB file on my lowly udb/alpha relative to the
  fileutils-3.16 cp. 

  again, i would really like to know what kind of sendfile support, if
  any, exists in solaris.

finally, i fixed a booboo with FPRead. if you use programs that end up
invoking FPRead with a newline mask, afpd shouldn't quit on you
anymore.

-a

location: <ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/pre-asun2.1.2-6.tar.gz>

---

From: Netatalk Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 18:26:00 -0600 (CST)

I have been trying to install this version that you have now provided and
I am having trouble.

At first it was looking for tcpd.h but do not find it.  I did a re-install
of the tcp_wrappers and it still did not work.  I finally just manually
copied tpcd.h to the /usr/local/include directory and it go passed then it
started to bomb later on with a security related library...

auth.h:12: security/pam_appl.h: No such file or directory

I have just installed rsaref just to see if that would help, but it did
not.  (It was worth a shot)

Do you know what I am missing of this part of the make process?

By the way, this is great software.  I love using it!