Subject: [netatalk-admins] New apple resource fork scheme

From: satadru pramanik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 18:48:28 -0400 (EDT)

- From http://mosr.com

Although by nature the native file system of Mac OS X -- UFS, the UNIX
File System -- does not support resources, Apple has developed a
relatively simple workaround for this by including a directory with the
same name as the application but ending in three periods (...), which
contains two files: .FInfo (Finder information) and .Rsrc (Resources).
Currently, the "UFS Converter" utility included with DP1 allows this
process to be completed automatically. By the time Developer Preview 2 is
release, Apple hopes to have automated this process at the system level,
allowing users to move Carbon applications between HFS and UFS disks
without worry. Because this resource "wrapper" directory is invisible from
the Finder and can only be seen from the UNIX command line (which itself
will only be used by power users who choose the optional install), it is
believed that this will be a satisfactory solution to the problem.

- -----
Any ideas on this?   Is this a total droppping of the netatalk
Appledouble/ and or applesingle scheme?

- ----
satadru pramanik [email-masked]'
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit
with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S
relativity." 
- -Albert Einstein
- ---

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 08:38:18 +0200

>Appledouble/ and or applesingle scheme?

Every implementation of bringing-afp-server-services-to-non-macs seem to use it's own -mor ore less standard- way of implementing Resources. CAP uses another than Netatalk and this is in turn different from NT or Netware...

:wq! PoC