Subject: [netatalk-admins] Building Netatalk for SunOS 5.6 sparc Ultra-Enterprise

From: Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:16:11 -0800

Is anyone familiar with this configuration?

I'm failing at the build step with a lot of compiler errors in at_sun.c :-(

I've built a number of other packages on this system, so I believe it's got
most of what it needs in terms of C development environment.

stymied - interested in recommendations -

Vicki
---
      |\      _,,,---,,_       Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_   Journeyman Sourceror: Scripts & Philtres
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'  P.O. Box 1269  San Bruno  CA  94066
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)       http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb  www.ptf.com/macperl

---

From: Bob Krzaczek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 20:07:31 -0500 (EST)

at_sun.c? That's odd, since that file appears in the SunOS 4 hierarchy. In
your subject line, you mention SunOS 5. Something's wrong there... ;-)

Check the top level makefile. It runs `uname -rs` to work out what kind of
machine you're own. It then cd's to sys/${ARCH}, where ${ARCH} is set
based on the output of uname.

I'd probably start poking there.

(If it's any encouragement, netatalk runs great under Solaris!)

-- 
// Bob Krzaczek, RIT Center for Imaging Science, <[email-masked]>

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Vicki Brown wrote:

; Is anyone familiar with this configuration?
; 
; I'm failing at the build step with a lot of compiler errors in at_sun.c :-(
; 
; I've built a number of other packages on this system, so I believe it's got
; most of what it needs in terms of C development environment.
; 
; stymied - interested in recommendations -

---

From: Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:17:21 -0800

OK.  Different problem now.  What is missing this time?

Now (attempting to build) version 1.4b2 as everyone has (essentially) told
me to try.

Making all for solaris...

That's a good sign :-)

...
gcc -D_KERNEL -mno-app-regs -munaligned-doubles -fpcc-struct-return
-D__svr4__ -
DSOLARIS -O -I../../include -I../netatalk  -c  ddptp_utls.c
ddptp_utls.c:49: conflicting types for `msgdsize'
/usr/include/sys/stream.h:705: previous declaration of `msgdsize'
ddptp_utls.c:52: conflicting types for `allocb'
/usr/include/sys/stream.h:687: previous declaration of `allocb'
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `ddptp_utls.o'
Current working directory /usr/usr2/src/Utils/netatalk-1.4b2/sys/solaris
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'

(I am really beginning to hate C...)

sigh.  Suggestions?  Recommendations?

osname=solaris, osvers=2.6, archname=sun4-solaris
uname='sunos jeeves 5.6 generic_105181-03 sun4u sparc sunw,ultra-enterprise

---

---

From: Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:01:17 -0800

> your subject line, you mention SunOS 5. Something's wrong there... ;-)

Apparently what's wrong is that netatalk1.3.3 doesn't support Solaris /
SunOS 5.6.  Moving on to 1.4b2 (I make it a point to avoid betas unless I'm
just playing... or I know there is something about the "last stable version
pre-beta" that doesn't work)

I made the (bad) assumption that when the README said "runs on SunOS 4.1+",
that included 5.* (that is, the bad assumption that the + meant "and
higher" not "only versions with a 4 in them".)

> Check the top level makefile. It runs `uname -rs` to work out what kind of

Worse.  1.3.3 only ran uname, not uname -rs

> based on the output of uname.

and in 1.3.3, the only choice was "sun".

> I'd probably start poking there.

Thanks!

The compiler, of course, wasn't the problem (the compiler is rarely the
problem when the include files can't be found ;-). The problem was the
release of netatalk.

- Vicki
---

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:56:21 -0800

Previously...
>higher" not "only versions with a 4 in them".)

Ah! This would be the problem. The preferred versions of netatalk for
Solaris are:

netatalk-971027 from UMich
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1 from asun

Either can be considered known-good stable on Solaris, as both are in
common use on large numbers of Solaris boxen, most importantly, by
the majority of the Solaris-based participants of this mailing list.
971027 can be gotten from the *parent* directory of UMich's ftp
server. +asun can be gotten from ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/.
Both incorporate important fixes to the kernel module which, when left
unfixed in 1.3.3 or 1.4b2, cause kernel panics.
-- 
[email-masked]
I will not Xerox my butt
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson

---

From: Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 13:10:10 -0800

I've got netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.1

I put this project on hold for a while because there are other 
priorities.  Blowing the dust off of it, I am trying to follow the 
README.

make install advises me:
  Don't forget to add lines from
  services.atalk to /etc/services and to call rc.atalk
  in /etc/rc.  See README and README.SOLARIS for more
  information.

Well, I added the lines to /etc/services, but "call rc.atalk"?  There 
is no /etc/rc on Solaris and no rc.atalk installed in the system 
directories. There are three in the source area:

  rc.atalk.bsd
  rc.atalk.sysv
  rc.atalk.redhat

But none of them were installed in system areas. I suppose I copy one 
somewhere?  Which one? Do I presume that Solaris is "sysv" these 
days?  Do I just copy rc.atalk.sysv to /etc and then put the 
requisite pointer into rc2.d (or is it rc3.d).

Lastly, can someone give me some better information about this 
"rebuild the kernel" stuff than "rebuld the kernel"?  Guidance, 
advice, or sympathy?

This is a production machine.  "Rebuild the kernel" scares the #^!*$ out of me!

- Vicki
-----
 //=\   Vicki Brown mailto:[email-masked]
 \=//    Journeyman Sourcerer: Scripts & Philtres
  //=\    (Mac)Perl, awk, sed, *sh..., occasional C
  \=//     A little web-gardening on the weekends
   //=\
   \=//      Deltagen, Inc.
    //=\       1031 Bing St, San Carlos, CA 94070