Subject: [netatalk-admins] files disappearing from netatalk server, 8.5 clients

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 Jan 1999 13:33:47 +0200

I'm running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0 on a Red Hat Linux 5.1 (kernel
2.0.36) file server which has been working without a hitch for ages
(netatalk 2.1.1 had some client disconnect problems so I dropped back,
haven't changed the configuration since). We have 6 Mac clients in
addition to a number of PCs (which use Samba to access the server).

After a few of the Macs were upgraded to MacOS 8.5, we've experienced
some very strange problems. In particular, in the past couple of weeks 
we've seen repeated cases of files disappearing on the server from the 
directories they're supposed to be in, sometimes being found later in
another place. No one admits to moving them (although I haven't ruled
that completely out either). In a few cases, the files have
disappeared completely, apparently deleted. Since I only learn of
these incidents after the fact, there's little I can do at that point, 
save digging into tape archives in the hopes that some might be found
there.

One suspicion I have as to the cause of these incidents is MacOS
8.5. Perhaps Sherlock or some other new feature of the Finder is
causing havoc on the file server? Hard to know. The only common fact
about these files is that they're all in daily use - sometimes entire
directories of them disappear at once. Then again, if a file not
accessed in a long time were to disappear, no one might even notice
for a long time - with 18 gigabytes of files, it's easy to lose a few.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

-- 
It was a book to kill time for those who liked it better dead.
Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>