Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Solaris question...

From: Robert G Palmer Jr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:22:18 -0500

If there is an archive of this list somewhere and my question
is answered there, please point me to the correct location.
Otherwise, I would appreciate some information.

I have a Solaris workstation that has our software development
tools for doing embedded development.  I would like to do all
my editing from my Mac in my office - the SUN is down the hall
in the lab.  Right now, I keep a local copy which I then FTP
to the SUN - this raises the possibility of accidentally getting
the local copy and the Sun's copy out of synch.

A perfect solution would be to be able to mount the Sun's folder
on my Mac desktop - in steps CAP or Netatalk.

The problem with CAP is that the installation looks much more
ominous than Netatalk - I'm Unix saavy, but I'm no guru.

I read throught the Netatalk installation and it starts talking
about AFS and Kerberos.  Do I HAVE to have these installed and
running.  If I have AFS, why do I need Netatalk - doesn't it
provide the ability to mount a folder on the Mac desktop (please
forgive my ignorance - I've NEVER used AFS, only read a FEW things
about it).  What about kerberos - is that required?  Access
to the Sun is rather limited, so strong authentication is not
an issue in my case.

It just seems odd that there is an open source tool for providing
AppleTalk capability, but it requires a commercial(?) application
to function.

Do you know if CAP has similar issues?

I'm trying to figure out if I should pursue getting and installing
AFS, so I can then install Netatalk (if that's what's needed), or
if I should try CAP, or if I should just continue with the current
FTP approach.

<<-------------------------------------------------------------->>
Robert G. Palmer, Jr.             1009 Commerce Park Drive
[email-masked]                  Oak Ridge, TN 37830
Development Engineer              Voice: (423)-482-3000
Interactive Pictures Corp.        FAX:   (423)-482-5447
http://www.ipix.com              
               -------------------------------------
Any opinions stated herein are solely mine.  In no way, shape,
or form should they be construed as opinions of my employer.
<<-------------------------------------------------------------->>

---

From: "Andrew Snell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:32:42 -0500

We run netatalk+asun on our Solaris 2.6 boxes here; we don't have either
AFS or kerberos. Neither is required to get the package working.
	We do however build in support for TCPwrappers, as well as
encrypted passwords via libdes. The setup is relatively straightforward,
and people on this listserv have been most helpful to me in ironing out
problems.
	BTW, we used to use CAP, but installation is tedious, and
performance seems, empirically at least, to be far inferior to netatalk
(especially over TCP/IP). If you only want to share files (ie not setting
up a print server), I'd highly recommend netatalk.

- Andrew

>if I should try CAP, or if I should just continue with the current

Andrew Snell
Systems Administrator
UNC Student Stores
[email-masked]
(919) 843-9844
http://www.store.unc.edu/