Subject: [netatalk-admins] Yet more ...

From: "J. Guy Stalnaker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:11:53 -0600

Hello all,

Well, I'm disappointed that all of my friendly respondants to the first
email (to linux-atalk) have not jumped into the fray after the second,
but I certainly understand ;-).  I've now joined the netatalk-admins
list, and I hope that the additional circle of people have a solution.

Here's the lowdown:

 1. Linux 2.0.35, compiled by me WITHOUT module support.  Appletalk 0.17
for Linux NET3.035 compiled in as is SLIP and PPP--i.e., appletalk is
not a module.
 2. Local Network, dhcpd running to get IP/Gateway/Netmask (ifconfig
shows expected values; on this same network is a Win98 pc and a MacOS
8.5 8100, both of which can access the network without problem [when
it's up, of course]).
 3. I attempted first to install the 1.4beta w/asun.  No go (could not
compile, failed at link time looking for some files, and so I turnedd to
a compiled binary from the netatalk HOWTO web site). After some problems
with unresolved dependencies at boot time and DNS resolution (both
solved), I put various conf files in /etc, etc., and tried to start
atalkd. Got the following error:

Appletalk not up!  Child exited with 1.

 4. So, I deleted all vestiges of 1.4 and downloaded, patched, and
successfully compiled 1.3.3 (from the Umich source archives).
 5. DESTDIR set to /usr/atalk.
 6. Put copies of atalkd.conf, papd.conf, AppleVolumes.default, and
AppleVolumes.system in /usr/atalk/etc
 7. Put sym links of these four files in /etc
 8. Run atalkd and get the same error.
 9. I edited atalkd.conf and added this line, taking values from my
MacOS 8.5 Appletalk control panel (which shows Node: 132, Network:
47033, Range: 47033-47038, Default Zone: DoIT Staff):

eth0 -phase -net 47033-47038 -zone "DoIT Staff"

10. Same Appletalk not up! error.
11. What options do I have for testing the network for the presence of
external network servers and devices?  E.g, I can ping BOTH the pc and
the Mac in my office cube successfully from the Linux box, so the net
path to them is intact.  I use Lynx and ncftp to connect to servers both
within the organization (the University of Wisconsin) and external to it
(the netatalk site at the University of Michigan).  I can also
successfully ping the Linux box (IP currently 128.104.16.29) from the
Win98 pc AND the Mac.
12. The Mac shows some 260 items in the AppleTalk Zones window, so I
know that appletalk is successful on this network, even with dhcp.

All suggestions and comments are very welcome.

Guy
*-------------------------------------------------------------*
                        J. Guy Stalnaker
 DoIT-Emerging Media Tech.              [email-masked]
 5752 Tokay Blvd., Suite 200                  wk. 608.263.8035
 Madison WI 53719-1220                        fax 608.265.6681
*-------------------------------------------------------------*

---

From: Magnus Stenman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:17:16 +0100

> for Linux NET3.035 compiled in as is SLIP and PPP--i.e., appletalk is

Did you include ipx? IIRC it is needed by appletalk.

>  3. I attempted first to install the 1.4beta w/asun.  No go (could not

The latest asun (actually almost all asun versions) compiles and runs
just file on RedHat 4.1-5.2, kernel 2.0.30-36
You might try to disable tcp_wrappers and 2-way randnum logins and see
if
that´s the problem, since they recuire some header files to be present
(not recommended to run without these in a "hostile" environment though)