Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.1 vs. MacOS 8.5.x Finder

From: Fred Condo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:14:18 -0800

I'm running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.1, and under FreeBSD 2.2.7 and now 
2.2.8-STABLE, it works well under system 8.0 and 8.1, and with 
everything but Finder copies under 8.5.x.

Applications have no problem reading or writing the server (as via an 
Open... or Save As... command), but the 8.5.x Finder, whether reading 
or writing the server, posts a progress bar that is half-full, then 
locks up. The Finder can't be force-quit, requiring the Mac to be 
rebooted via reset. The file on the receiving end is created, but 
always has length zero.

This happens under TCP connections as well as under AppleTalk. The 
TCP problem occurs on two different G3 Macs, one Ethernet-connected, 
and the other modem-connected. The results are identical in either 
case. I can test the AppleTalk connection only over a modem, due to 
the way our campus network is organized. It, too, fails the same way.

I have followed this list, but haven't seen any similar reports. I 
nonetheless hope that someone on this list might recognize these 
symptoms and recommend a fix.
--
Fred Condo . [email-masked] . 530/898-5367
CSU, Chico . Communication Design Department
http://webclass.csuchico.edu/ . http://www.csuchico.edu/cdes/

---

From: [email-masked] (Hans-Guenter Weigand)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:44:25 +0100

> everything but Finder copies under 8.5.x.

Do these Macs run any sort of Norton Antivirus? I had problems like
yours, which could be 'fixed' by a different setup of NAV.

-hgw

---

From: Fred Condo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:57:44 -0800

> yours, which could be 'fixed' by a different setup of NAV.

Thank you, Hans-Guenter! I had not considered the possibility of an 
anti-virus problem, because I had turned the Virex 5.9 control panel 
off, without disabling it in Extensions Manager. Disabling it that 
way restored the functionality! Thanks again!
--
Fred Condo . [email-masked] . 530/898-5367
CSU, Chico . Communication Design Department
http://webclass.csuchico.edu/ . http://www.csuchico.edu/cdes/