Subject: [netatalk-admins] TCP Connection Problems

From: Yann Ramin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 18:10:27 -0800

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hi,
I'm having problems with TCP connections (in netatalk+asun2.1.3) when choosing
a server from the Chooser. I can manually enter the IP address with the
appropiate button and it works great, but if I select the server in the
chooser, the connection goes via the SLOW AppleTalk protocol. The client is an
iMac (os 8.6), and the server is a FreeBSD 3.2 - RELEASE machine.

Yann

 --

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Yann Ramin			[email-masked]
Atrus Trivalie Productions	www.redshift.com/~yramin
				irm.it.montereyhigh.com
Monterey High IT		www.montereyhigh.com
ICQ 				46805627
Marina, CA
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Tom Kacvinsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 22:29:16 -0500 (EST)

Is the server behind a firewall?  In order for the chooser to switch
over to AFP over TCP/IP properly, the server has to respond to a ping
from the client Macintosh (amongst other things).  If the firewall is
preventing this, you don't stand a chance of the chooser picking AFP
over TCP/IP automatically.  You'll have to enter the IP address by
hand, as you are curently doing.

Tom

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Yann Ramin wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: PGPfreeware 5.0i for non-commercial use
> MessageID: uk200/rK7NPmKOI4jVcxjmguLsVRMXLu
> 
> iQA/AwUBOB+awmfVY9ikTYYXEQLYKACglO2ZBaYXgvu+SVopApMAFmm0jO0AoOAn
> vgsffHiAEkubXVyiA8/zHjng
> =b4yM
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>

---

From: Yann Ramin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 19:35:26 -0800

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

No, it isn't.  Same network wire (switched, but same wire).  I only noticed the
problem when we moved over to a fake address range (which is subnetted).  The
server is now 172.18.6.39 (class B) with netmask 255.255.255.0 (class C
netmask).  Both the iMac and the unix box are configured the same (obviously
not the same IP).

Funny, isn't it?

Yann

---

From: Yann Ramin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 19:52:24 -0800

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

No, the new IP wasn't reflected in /etc/hosts.  I changed it and will try
tommorow.  I didn't notice anything in the logs though...  Anyway, thanks for
the speedy help.

Yann

On Tue, 02 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> is the new ip address reflected in /etc/hosts? if it isn't, afpd won't
> know what ip address to use. this should also show up in the log
> files.
>
> -a
--

---

From: Mark Pleasance <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 14:58:18 +1100

I noticed the same problem when I changed the IP address on our netatalk
setup. If you look at the output when the afp starts up (on Linux 5.2
/var/log/messages) it had an entry afpd ASIP started on 192.168.3.249 the
old IP address. Pings, www, proxy, manually typing the IP address in the
chooser all worked on the new IP address but I had the same problem when
accessing the server by the traditional Chooser->AppleShare method. The fix
was to re-install netatalk after the change of IP.

Mark.

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 19:44:43 -0800

No, it isn't.  Same network wire (switched, but same wire).  I only
   noticed the problem when we moved over to a fake address range
   (which is subnetted).  The server is now 172.18.6.39 (class B) with
   netmask 255.255.255.0 (class C netmask).  Both the iMac and the
   unix box are configured the same (obviously not the same IP).

-a