Subject: [netatalk-admins] File locking and Word

From: Roger Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 01:44:10 -0500

I am currently running Netatalk version 1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 on a Pentium
running Linux 2.0.35,
it performs very well (thanks for afpovertcp Adrian) except that I seem
to have a file locking problem.

Some of the clients use Word 5.1 with System 7.6.1, and if they edit a
locked file (locked on the Finder) and save it, there is no warning that

file is locked and the locked file is overwritten by the newly edited
version...

While examining the logs I noticed that any file openned by Excel
generated a "byte lock: trash.xls" but not Word documents.

I am unclear on the purpose of the byte lock, is it what afpd looks at
to tell the Mac that the file is read-only ?
Should there be a byte lock for the AppleDouble entry as well ?
I was under the impression that the read-only flag was stored in the
resource fork.

Any ideas/comments?

Roger Grant
BLP Engineering