Subject: [netatalk-admins] group permissions

From: John Barry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 12:17:26 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

How do I get netetalk to honour group permissions? I have the account's umask
set to 002, but since atalk comes in via the kernel it doesn't actually set
the group bit when I drag and drop from a mac.

later
jb

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:33:27 -0400

> How do I get netetalk to honour group permissions? I have the
   > set to 002, but since atalk comes in via the kernel it doesn't

netatalk will automatically set the permission for you.  For example, if you
have a group share directory, let's say micro$oft, and the group is GATES.
You need to chmod it so that group GATES has rwx permission (chmod g+rwx
GATES).  Make sure that you set users in GATES group (/etc/group).  Whenever
users/GATES write files in micro$oft directory, netatalk will auto set the
permission to 775/dirs and 664/files if you have 775 permission on micro$oft
directory.  Hope this helps.

Alex

---

From: Ashley Drees <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:43:13 +0100 (GMT)

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Alex Yu wrote:

> Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:33:27 -0400

Hi Alex, how does this work when you have all the users have a group for
themselves (as in RHL ?), all other groups are secondary, what if I wanted
to force all files to be written with the same group, and also every
directory created to have the same group as the root folder...

Ash