Subject: [netatalk-admins] Directory .AppleDouble and .AppleDesktop

From: [email-masked] (Gustavo Gutierrez Arroyo)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:29:45 +0200

Hi,

I don´t know what is the function in netatalk of two directories
(.AppleDouble and .AppleDesktop). They are created when you make a
directory inside of a volume of netatalk. Can it delete these
directories?

Thanks in advance,

Gustavo.

---

From: Edward Birdsall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:48:22 -0400

Greetings,

.AppleDesktop and .AppleDouble are two directories that are created to help
with the Apples.  .AppleDesktop takes care of the position of files on your
Apple Desktop, icon information, permissions and the like.  Your Macs have
this file also but it is hidden from your view on the Macs.  .AppleDouble
has the icon and other resource fork information just as your Mac does.
Again this is to reflect how you Mac works.  I do not advise removing the
files since they were created to help with Mac connectivity and need to be
there if you are working with Macs.  If you use other multiplatform
connectivity systems (AFS, WinNT Server) you will see these directories
also.

>directory inside of a volume of netatalk. Can it delete these

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edward Birdsall            Senior Computer Systems Specialist
[email-masked]            Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences
Phone: (734)764-8262       College of Engineering
Fax:   (734)763-4540       University of Michigan,   48109-2104
------------------------------------------------------------------------