Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Permission mapping

From: [email-masked] (Bob Smith, Hammett & Edison, Inc.)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 20:05:58 -0800

On Wed, Feb 24, 1999, 17:16:27 Espen H. Koht wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Bob Smith, Hammett & Edison, Inc. wrote:
>
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 1999, 10:49:33 Espen H. Koht wrote:
>>
>> >In a folder called "test folder" on this volume I have two word files
>> >created by each of the users:
>> >
>> >-rw-rw----   1 A    tutorial    19456 Feb 24 18:32 test
>> >-rw-rw----   1 B    tutorial    19456 Feb 24 18:37 test 2
>> >
>> >The enclosing folder permissions are:
>> >drwxrws---   2 A    tutorial     1024 Feb 24 18:37 test folder
>>
>> You need to be sure that the directory "test folder/.AppleDouble/" is also
>> "drwxrws---",
>
>Check.
>
>>and the file "test folder/.AppleDouble/.Parent" is "-rw-rw---",
>> then it should work fine.
>
>This is actually -rwxrwx--- (which makes sense given the above). Would
>removing the execution privs. from this solve my problem though?
>
>I've since found that some files are -rw-rwS--- and open fine for either
>user. How does the 'S' get set, and what does it mean? I've failed to find
>anything illuminating in the man pages.

The execute privileges on the .Parent file shouldn't make any difference.  The
'S' means the setgid privilege is set but the execute privilege is not (in
other words, "-rwxrws---" = 2770, "-rw-rwS---" = 2660).  That is an odd
privilege combination to find on a regular file, as far as I know it is
meaningless to the Unix kernel.  It is a valid setting for a directory, but
usually only as "-rwx--S---".  I don't have any idea why it matters to
netatalk!

On my server (Linux 2.0.32, netatalk 1.4b2) I have several shared volumes set
up exactly the way you are trying.  As long as all the directories and files
(including the .AppleDouble stuff) have the group write privilege, anybody in
the group can work on any file regardless of who owns it.  This includes lots
of different files for lots of different apps, including Word.  So I don't
know why it isn't working for you!  Maybe if you post more details somebody
else can spot what I'm missing.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Bob Smith
Hammett & Edison, Inc.
[email-masked]