Subject: [netatalk-admins] Writing to Linux File Server problems

From: Jason Tuomy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:41:40 -0800

I am running RedHat 5.2 with netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.2.  Also, I am
running Samba 2.0.  When I restored my file server files to this system,
I noticed that the file dates and times were being shown for that exact
moment they were being transferred.  But when I go into a terminal into
the directories the dates and times are from the original file specs.
Samba also shows the correct date and time.  I am using a contributed
rpm from the redhat site for netatalk.  I sure could use some help to
get my mac clients to see the correct date and time.  It is vital with
our production here.  Thank you in advance for the help.

Jason Tuomy
Technical Director
Glyphix Studio

---

From: Erik Ohlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:52:44 -0800

use pre-asun2.1.2-8 from ftp.u.washington.edu:/public/asun. This fixed our mod date problems for the Mac clients (especially with Quark files and their linked support files).

>our production here.  Thank you in advance for the help.

<------------------------------------------------------------->
| Erik Ohlin   mailto:[email-masked]   (760)438-8933 |
| Pacific Color http://www.pacificcolor.com fax:(760)438-8414 |
|    1916 Palomar Oaks Way, Suite 100, Carlsbad, CA  92008    |
<------------------------------------------------------------->

---

From: Jason Tuomy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:30:47 -0800

I sent a sun a request for a rpm for this.  Is there anyone that could create one?  And I assume that I would have to turn off the services to upgrade netatalk+asun right?

---

From: Steve Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:58:35 -0600

JASON:
i don't think an rpm will be made for netatalk with the pre-asun versions.
i looked into making an rpm, but it was easier to compile.
yes you should shutdown services.
steve
>I sent a sun a request for a rpm for this.  Is there anyone that could
>create one?  And I assume that I would have to turn off the services to
>upgrade netatalk+asun right?
>
>Erik Ohlin wrote:
>
>> use pre-asun2.1.2-8 from ftp.u.washington.edu:/public/asun. This fixed
>>our mod date problems for the Mac clients (especially with Quark files
>>and their linked support files).
>>
>Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii;
> name="tuomy.vcf"
>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
>Content-Description: Card for Jason Tuomy
>Content-Disposition: attachment;
> filename="tuomy.vcf"
>
>Attachment converted: Quadra700:tuomy.vcf 1 (TEXT/ttxt) (00011620)

steve moore
mis guy
the enteron group
815 s. jefferson
chicago, il
60607
800.497.cmyk
[email-masked]

---

From: Robert Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:00:13 +1100

I have a Sun UltraSPARC 170 running Solaris 2.7 (or Solaris 7) and
netatalk-981109. I am having a couple of problems.

Firstly, the machine is a dual-home machine which routes IP between
two networks. I was hoping that it would also route AppleTalk (given
that this is what happens on a Linux machine I have in a similar
situation). However, that doesn't seem to be happening.

Running "nbplkup" on the Solaris 2.7 machine shows all machines on both
interfaces, with sensible (non-clashing) network numbers for each
interface. However, "nbplkup" on another machine on one of the interfaces
only shows other machines on that side of the router.

Do I have to do something specifically to turn on the AppleTalk
routing functionality?

Secondly, I have printing set up more or less as per the README.SOLARIS
file and it seems to work except that sometimes when two postscript
files are queued from a remote host to an Apple LaserWriter 630 (old,
I know) the print queue "hangs" for about 10 minutes between jobs. "lpq"
reports the first job still being printed for up to 10 minutes after
the actual printout has appeared from the printer, before the next job
starts being processed.

Anyone know what could be going on here?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards,

Computer and Robotics Engineer,       e-mail: [email-masked]
Department of Engineering,            phone:  (+61) 2 6249 4090
Australian National University,       fax:    (+61) 2 6249 0506
Canberra, AUSTRALIA, 0200             mobile: (+61) 0416 166 761
      WWW: http://spigot.anu.edu.au/people/bob/home.html

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:40:39 -0500

> From:    Robert Edwards <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> situation).

Routing is not supported in any of the Solaris versions.

> reportsthe first job still being printed for up to 10 minutes after

I'd try reproducing this outside of lp.  Or try replacing the lp
software with something like

	http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~doug/second.html#section1

or perhaps LPRng.  The problem could be lp, psf/pap, or the printer...

:wes

---

From: Software Development <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 13:28:10 -0600

I'm running Solaris 2.7 (64-bit) on an UltraSPARC 10.  Just got the
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 distribution and compiled it.  Tried running
make kinstall with this result:

# make kinstall
Making kinstall for solaris...
Making kernel for sparc...
`ddp' is up to date.
rm -f /etc/init.d/atalk /etc/rc2.d/S79atalk /etc/rc0.d/K79atalk
rm -f /usr/kernel/drv/ddp /usr/kernel/drv/ddp.conf
rm -f /usr/kernel/strmod/ddp
rem_drv ddp
Driver (ddp) not installed.
*** Error code 1 (ignored)
sync;sync;sync
/usr/ucb/install -c ddp /usr/kernel/drv/ddp
ln /usr/kernel/drv/ddp /usr/kernel/strmod/ddp
/usr/ucb/install -c ddp.conf /usr/kernel/drv/ddp.conf
add_drv -m '* 0666 root sys' ddp
drvconfig: Driver (ddp) failed to attach
Warning: Driver (ddp) successfully added to system but failed to attach
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `kinstall'

What can I do about this?  I see in asun's notes that the distribution
has been built on all of Solaris 2.5, 2.6, and 2.7.  Might I be having
problems because I installed the 64-bit version of Solaris 2.7?

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 11:49:19 -0800 (PST)

i recently got a patch for 64-bit solaris. unfortunately, it's not in
asun2.1.3.

-a

---

From: "David S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 17:57:26 -0600 (EST)

> i recently got a patch for 64-bit solaris. unfortunately, it's not in

If you'd like to make it available, I'd certainly like to try it out.

David S.
[email-masked]