Subject: [netatalk-admins] adv1tov2

From: Mikael Jokela <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:52:06 +0200

I installed new netatalk+asun rpm-package from redhat's contrib.
But the asun in version 2.2.0 and I only get complaints about
old .appledouble files, and I should use adv1tov2 utility
to correct the problem. OS is Linux Redhat 5.2.

However, I cannot find adv1tov2 anywhere. The installation didn't
include it, and I've searched the web and asked in newsgroups.
So could someone here tell me, where I can get this utility?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Mikael Jokela

---

From: Yann Bizeul <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 22:38:06 +0100 (CET)

Hello... I have a problem with my server, I need it to keep connection all
the time to a station, because this station has a scripted folder on it
(that is, I use MacOS 8.5), but after a while (some hours) the mac tells
me the connection with the server has been lost...
I have the latest natalk+asun 2.1.3...

Any idea ?

---

From: Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 16:10:52 -0700 (MST)

> I have the latest natalk+asun 2.1.3...

This may be unrelated, but recentlty, my netatalk 2.something server
started dropping connections about every 5 minutes. Turns out that this
machines (which is also my NTP master) was switching the time back and
forth by an order of 4 minutes due to the fact that one of the higher
stratum NTP machines was sending out a bogus time.

Turning NTP off (or at least taking the bogus host out of the server list)
fixed the problem. 

So this may be unrelated, but clock shifts do make for a not so stable
Netatalk server.

Tim

Tim Carlson                                  Voice:    (505) 984-8800x255
Director of Computing: Santa Fe Institute    Fax:      (505) 982-0565
WWW: http://www.santafe.edu/~tim             Email:   [email-masked]

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 18:51:23 +1000

Tim Carlson said in Re: [netatalk-admins] Server disconnecting itself at 
04/Mar/1999 (Thu) 09:10:52.

> So this may be unrelated, but clock shifts do make for a not so stable

UM, discontinuities in time do not make for a stable anything server.  Lots 
of code uses "delta" timings for timeouts and interval code.   NTP normally 
uses the adjtime() kernel service to smoothly adjust the time, rather than 
whack the new time value.  I'd guarantee that netatalk wouldn't be the only 
service to have problems with the time-warps happening.  I imagine the 
time-warps were causing netatalk to miss a tickle interval, causing the 
macintosh to assume the other end died.

I'm shocked that NTP would "trust" a bad host like that, or at least, not put 
up a nasty little log entry about it.

=R=