Subject: [netatalk-admins] LaserWriter 8 and Ghostscript: landscape printing

From: [email-masked] (Jason F. McBrayer)
Date: 12 Apr 1999 13:53:01 -0500

I'm banging my head up against the wall again on this one.  I have two
printers set up on a Debian GNU/Linux box with the current Debian
package of netatalk+asun.  The two are both PCL printers; I use
magicfilter and ghostscript to convert postscript sent by LaserWriter
8 on the Macs.

This works fine for printing in portrait mode, but not for landscape.
When you try to print in landscape, the job gets printed in portrait
orientation with part cut off.

I've tried to fix this by creating separate landscape queues with a
line in the apropriate filter program that looks like this:

0	%!		filter	/usr/bin/gs  -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -r300 -sDEVICE=cdj850 -sOutputFile=- landscap.ps - 

That is, it loads landscap.ps to rotate the file to landscape
orientation before loading the file to be printed.  This seems to work
for files I have created in dvips, but not for files printed from the
Macs.  I have read the relevant entry in the FAQ-O-Matic, but it seems
to be doing the same thing I am doing here.

Could it be that the Mac-produced files are not ADSC conforming?  If
this is the problem, does anyone know how to fix it?

-- 
+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| Jason F. McBrayer              [email-masked] |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |   
| forever.                    R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |

---

From: [email-masked] (Jason F. McBrayer)
Date: 16 Apr 1999 17:11:44 -0500

Just a quick note to say that the solution to my problem (not getting
landscape on ghostscripted printers with LaserWriter 8) is, as Bob
Atkins pointed out, due to using a current version of Ghostscript
(5.10/5.50).

Downgrading to Ghostscript 3.33, and compiling in contributed drivers
for the printers I have to serve that aren't supported in gs 3.33,
solved the problem.

Thanks to everyone who wrote back to me.

---

From: Markus Schulte <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:25:09 +0100

hi,

seems like this error comes from the config files because they don't
seem to read at all.

i use 2.1.3 on redhat 5.2

even not the home directory can be seen in the chooser.

i used a rpm file to install so i think i can be shure that the binaries
are set up to look in /etc/atalk for configuration files. but whatever i
put AppleVolumes.default is simply ignored.

markus
-- 
Digital Online Media GmbH
(we like to be called DOM)

http://www.dom.de
mailto: [email-masked]
phone: +49 221 951680
fax: +49 221 951688