Subject: [netatalk-admins] problem

From: Tomáš Pluskal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:16:44 +0200

i have a small net with windoze and 2 macs (1 power pc, 1 imac), it has 2
segments (10 Mbit and 100 Mbit) connected via linux router. (one mac on each
segment). I'd like to use netatalk to route aplletalk, so:
1) when I put in atalkd.conf ONLY eth0 OR eth1, it works fine on one segment
(one mac can see the server)
2) when I put there:
eth1 -seed -net 65280 -addr 65280.10 -zone "gm"
eth0 -seed -net 65270 -addr 65270.15 -zone "gm"
(the powerpc mac has address 65280.25 and is  on eth1, the imac has 65270.24
and is on eth0), the first surprising thing for me was that it didn't work
if I put eth0 first, because afpd started always on 65280.10 and the imac
(65270.24) could'n connect. If I put eth1 first, afpd starts on 65270.15 and
imac connects ok, and the power pc mac too, but after (about) 60 seconds it
(powerpc) says "appletalk has been disconnected" and when I want to connect
again, I must change its appletalk address (for example to 65280.26) and
find the router again. Then it repeats.
I tried to change everything in the conf file (divide it into separate zones
and so on), but I could'n get it working.
Doesn't anybody here know what to do ?
Thanks
Tomas Pluskal

---

From: eirvine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 06:51:14 +1000

Hi.
 
You might want to look at: 
 
http://www1.tpgi.com.au/users/eirvine/freebsd/netatalk-configs.html

---

From: Benjamin Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 23:46:36 +1000 (EST)

Oh woe. ;-(

I've been using netatalk fine for months...

I swear I haven't touched a thing... but now my netatalk spews messages:

 papd[3913]: Bad request from 4.232!

oh dear...

and the mac (obviously) can't print. Error -8993

I think this is a problem on the Mac side.

Help... ;-P

Ben

---

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:27:01 -0500 (CDT)

Try rebuilding up your desktop printer.
Delete your current desktop printer and create it again.

+------------------------------------------------------------------+
 Russell E Glaue, Technologies Engineer / IT Manager  [email-masked]
 Center for the Application of Information Technologies
 101 Horrabin Hall, 1 University Circle, Macomb, Illinois 61455
 http://www.cait.org  http://cait.wiu.edu

---

From: Benjamin Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 10:40:46 +1000 (EST)

Well in the process of finding a solution... I did try a rebuild of the
desktop printer. That didn't work unfortunately.

What I did was upgrade from asun212 to asun213... and now everthing is
fine.

I think asun214 is the latest?

Thanks for the input.

Ben

> Delete your current desktop printer and create it again.

- Benjamin Lee

/----------------------------------------------+-----------------------\
| Internet Administrator                       |  Mob:    041 494 2544 |
| Power-Net Computer Consultants P/L           |  Fax:  +613 9425 9091 |
| 50 Madden Grove, Burnley 3121 VIC Australia  |  Ph:   +613 9425 9090 |
\----------------------------------------------+-----------------------/

The questions remain the same.  The answers are eternally variable.