Subject: [netatalk-admins] [netatalk-admin] Multiple serve in afpd.conf and ports

From: Yann Bizeul <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 12:57:25 +0100

Hi all...

I would like tu understand how usefull it can be to set up multiple servers,
with different ports in afpd.conf...
When putting -port 12000 in afpd.conf, the chooser can't access to the
server... I think it is because the choose use the port 548 to reach it...
So why putting another port number ? is there possible to redirect the port via
DNS ?

I have another problem, on another machine, I can't see the server in the
chooser, when launching it by hand on the linux box, it tells me that nbpregstr
can't register workstation@* ... and papd can't register netatalk@*...
Is there because atalkd is trying to use an appletalk address already in use ?
So I tried changing the address in atalkd.conf, but it didn't work...

Any idea ?

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 20:11:13 +1000

Yann Bizeul said in [netatalk-admins] [netatalk-admin] Multiple serve in 
afpd.conf and ports at 07/Feb/1999 (Sun) 21:57:25.

> So why putting another port number ? is there possible to redirect the port 
> via DNS ?

Heheh, this is probably one of the most kept secrets, but just about every 
Macintosh TCP/IP utility I have allows me to append :portnumber or " 
portnumber" (a space instead of a ':') after an address to specify a 
different port number to use.

So, after clicking on the "Server address" button, enter your 
servername:portnum, and as you French say, Voila!

=Robert=