Subject: [netatalk-admins] atalkd messages in syslog

From: daniel lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 13:41:56 +0100

I have just installed netatalk 1.4b2 on a FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE system. It seems
to function ok (users can mount their home directories), but I am getting a
large volume of messages in syslog.

When atalkd starts up, it generates about 300 messages that look like this:

     Apr 15 12:21:20 coffee atalkd[7606]: route: 4311 -> 3242.6: \
     Network is unreachable

The "4311" cycles through about 300 numbers from 1 to 5000.

Then there are the messages:

     Apr 15 12:21:28 coffee atalkd[7606]: as_timer sendto: Network is \
     unreachable
     Apr 15 12:22:08 coffee last message repeated 4 times
     Apr 15 12:24:18 coffee last message repeated 13 times
     Apr 15 12:34:18 coffee last message repeated 60 times

When atalkd is killed, it generates hundreds of messages like:

Apr 15 13:34:18 coffee atalkd[7606]: route: 4745 -> 3242.6: No such process

The automatically generated atalkd.conf file looks like:

ep0 -phase 2 -net 5000-9999 -addr 9662.76 -zone "W" -zone "X" -zone "Y"

Is this just excess verbosity, or is it trying to tell me something?