Subject: [netatalk-admins] lpr and papd problem help

From: "Vincent Tam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:21:46 +0800

Dear all,

I'm having problem for printing with netatalk.

It is a Debian 2.0 system using netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-1 package
with lpr 5.9-29. The printer is a appletalk postscript network printer.

I can print to it under Linux command line using pap. 
When I print it from a Mac through the papd in this Linux box,
it can spool the job into the spooler and the printer did received SOME
data. After a while the spooled job just discarded without any error 
messages and and printer didn't has any output. 

What happens? Please help me! Thank you!!

Vincent

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:44:29 +1000

I suppose this is probably in a FAQ somewhere, but I wasted some time 
recently chasing this problem down [note, with the current Netatalk pre-asun 
version, this is *NOT A BUG IN NETATALK!*]

If you paste an icon into a share's volume icon from OS8.5.x, System 7.x 
clients just get a blank document icon.  The only way I can see how to NOT do 
this undesired behaviour is to open an ICN# family [selecting the ICN# family 
row in Resorcerer, for instance), copying, and then pasting that into the 
volume's icon.  The problem is that the 8.x finder in almost Microsoftian 
fashion, pastes only the 
new-and-improved-but-a-format-for-which-no-editor-exists resource, and not 
any of the classic ones.  Geez, I sure hope Steve the iCEO hasn't gotten more 
than just $$$ from MSFT.

Argh.  I just thought I'd spare others the wasted time and hassle.  It *IS* 
just cosmetic, yes... but I have System 7.x clients to support - I will *NOT* 
install the bloated 8.x on 68k Macintoshes.  It's slow enough on PowerPC 
systems.

=Rob=

---

From: Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:29:37 -0800

Thanks to Glenn Dawson <[email-masked]> for pointing out that it is the
            make kinstall
step that actually installs atalk into /etc/init.d

(Thanks also to everyone who pointed out where this _should_ have 
been installed, but I *did do a find* from / and atalk had not been 
_not_ installed.  How was I supposed to know that the _kernel driver_ 
installation step was the one that installed this; that was not 
obvious from the READMEs!).  Anyway, it's there now.

And yes, I realize in retrospect that "rebuild the kernel" was a poor 
choice of words.  I am not now and never have been a kernel hacker, 
so, apologies for the word choice.  How about: anything that comes 
close to doing funky things to the kernel scares the whatever out of 
me when run on a production machine.  That better? :-)  The phrasing 
in the README:

3.  INSTALL DRIVER.  Since the STREAMS ddp driver must be installed as
    root, we've separated that portion of the build.  Type

        make kinstall

    to install the driver.  This copies the driver and it's config file
    into /usr/kernel/drv and /usr/kernel/strmod, runs "add_drv ddp" to
    make the kernel aware of the new driver, and adds an rc file to
    /etc/rc?.d.

is NOT clear about what it plans to _do_ to the kernel.  (I got a 
twitchy feeling just watching all those syncs as "make kinstall" 
ran...)
---
      |\      _,,,---,,_       Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_   Journeyman Sourceror: Scripts & Philtres
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'  P.O. Box 1269  San Bruno  CA  94066
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb  http://www.macperl.org

---

From: Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:29:37 -0800

make kinstall