Subject: [netatalk-admins] legal filenames?

From: Mike Holling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 17:10:23 -0700 (PDT)

I've got a unix box that's used as the development/staging box for a web
company.  It's got some 3G worth of data files on it.  This box is used by
both PC and Macs as well as people working on the command line.  It seems
there's now quite a few files on there with filenames that are making
netatalk and/or the mac clients unhappy.  I haven't been very successful
in finding out what constitutes a legitimate mac filename, other than that
it cannot have colons in it.  I'm also not sure if it's the mac or
netatalk (or a combination) causing problems.  As far as I can tell
filenames with "funny" characters (such as control characters) are changed
during a directory listing on the mac, and when the mac tries to open the
file it can't be found.

I'm working on a "filename fixer" right now, has anyone done this, or have
some pointers to what a legal filename can be?  I vaguely remember they
can't be longer than 30 characters (had some problems with this already),
I'm going to strip out control characters and colons but a more rigid
specification would be helpful.

- Mike