Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Pacershare vs. Netatalk

From: Craig A Summerhill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 01:53:08 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Paul Stuart <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I have netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 running on a Redhat Linux (2.0.34) on 
> a generic Intel box. It works great except:
> 
> I've restores some archives of files that came off a SunOS 4.1.3 box
> running PacerShare and the files are all there except that the resource
> fork is not visible. The minimum size of these resource files is 589
> bytes, which matches the info I could glean from <atalk/adouble.h>.
> Resedit says that the resource is corrupted, FileTyper shows a resource
> size of 0 bytes. I can copy new files to the same folder and they work
> fine...
> 
> Anybody have any clues, experience, or hunches about fixing these files?

Paul,

Kinda a belated reply -- I've been occupied elsewhere this week.

Pacer allows you to log into the root of a volume using "root".  Just a
curiosity, but if you don't have too many files to transfer have you
considered mounting both the Pacer Volume(s) as root on your desktop 
Mac and mount the new root of the netatalk server.  Then copy from one 
to the other with a drag and drop?

I've done this with several hundred megs, and it seems to work OK.
File Type/Creator get preserved in the process this way.

But I can see how it could be a pain if you have a lot of files to 
transfer.  Also, preserving uid/gid settings might be difficult if 
you have user's who have complex setups.  Around here, a 
"chown -R user .*" usually solves those problems... 

Another strategy which I have also successfully used with Pacer.
Mount the Pacer volume (again as root) to a Macintosh that has a 
tape drive.  Run a tape backup utility against the Pacer Volume
(like Restrospect).  Then mount the netatalk and restore from 
Restrospect to the netatalk volume.  Again, File Type and Creator 
are preserved this way.  A unix tape backup won't do it (as you 
already figured) because of the conflicting methods of managing 
the File Types/Creators in Pacer and netatalk.
-- 

   Craig A. Summerhill, Systems Coordinator and Program Officer
   Coalition for Networked Information
   21 Dupont Circle, N.W., Washington, D.C.   20036
   Internet: [email-masked]   AT&Tnet (202) 296-5098

---

From: "Paul M. Lambert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 01:21:53 -0800 (PST)

> "chown -R user .*" usually solves those problems... 

just a note of warning: "chown -R user .*" doesn't do what you would first
think it might.  keep in mind that all unix directories include two
special directories: . and ..

doing a "chown -R user .." is probably not something you want to do.

i am sure the original author knows this and didn't mean exactly what 
he wrote, but i wanted to make sure that any listmembers not terribly
familiar with unix didn't fall for this mistake.  it's an easy one
to make!

something like "chown -R user .A*" is safe; it's usually best, when 
dealing with dot-files, to specify them by full name or unambiguous 
match on the command line...  at least until you become _very_ familiar
with unix shells and file globbing (the * is a form of a glob.  wonderful,
intuitive terms, 'eh?  ;-)

--paul