Subject: [netatalk-admins] Transmitter Timeout

From: Lan-Z <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 11:43:55 -0500 (EST)

I have an eepro100 and I get a transmitter timeout error...trying to
restart transmitter on the console...during which users attached to the
Linux box seem to pause for a second or two.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Lan-Z

---

From: Albert Max Lai <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 14:08:48 -0500 (EST)

> Linux box seem to pause for a second or two.

The multicast filter (which is used quite heavily in AppleTalk) is
broken in the eepro100 driver. To fix this, stick the following lines
into your /etc/conf.modules:

options eepro100 multicast_filter_limit=3 
alias eth1 eepro100 

-- 
Albert Lai <[email-masked]>
http://www.columbia.edu/~aml61

---

From: Lan-Z <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 16:12:37 -0500 (EST)

I did this already and it still does the same thing.  Any other thoughts?

Lan-Z

---

From: "Ron Creamer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 15:25:46 -0500

I'm trying to compile..  on my stock Red Hat 6.1 (kernel 2.2.12-20smp) But I
get a fatal error at the end:

/usr/lib/libwrap.a(hosts_access.o): In function `host_match':
hosts_access.o(.text+0x400): undefined reference to `yp_get_default_domain'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

It sounds like some sort of NIS/YP problem. I went back through my log of
messages and seem to have remembered this problem before, but I couldn't find
the solution.

Any clues/fixes? Thanks

-Ron

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 12:48:32 -0800 (PST)

> messages and seem to have remembered this problem before, but I couldn't find

Lets see, on my Debian system:

flyme 514% nm --dynamic /lib/libnss_nis.so.2 | grep yp_get_default_domain
                 U yp_get_default_domain

Try adding '-lnss_nis' to your LDFLAGS.

David S.

---

From: "William J. Brinkman II" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 16:29:45 -0500

David: Thanks! You are my hero. With pre-asun2.1.4-36a, not only does
adding libnss_nis to my Makefile allow me to build, but
pre-asun2.1.4-36a fixes my other problems!!! WHEE! 

-- 
William "Bo" Brinkman                         [email-masked]
Princeton Computer Science        http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~brinkman
-- 
Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his
friends. --John 15:13

---

From: "Marc Matteo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 15:45:09 -0800

> flyme 514% nm --dynamic /lib/libnss_nis.so.2 | grep yp_get_default_domain

Hmmm, I get the same thing on a RH 6.1 system when I do that to the
libwrap.a lib. yet I get the same errors.

Marc Matteo
Technical Leader, sacbee.com
http://www.sacbee.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 15:55:07 -0800 (PST)

> libwrap.a lib. yet I get the same errors.

Right.  The 'nm' command is just to show you which library the
'yp_get_default_domain' function lives in, '/lib/libnss_nis.so.2' on my
system.  If you're going going to link an application against
'libwrap.a', you'll get an unresolved symbol error unless you also link
against 'libnss_nis.so.2'.  Or, if you're not using 'nis', you could
re-build 'libwrap.a' so it doesn't link against 'libnss_nis.so.2'.

David S.

---

From: "Ron Creamer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 10:31:27 -0500

Thanks to William "Bo" Brinkman, and David S, the Fix for this compliation error
on Red Hat 6.1 is as follows:

"The makefile I changed is in the netatalk1.4b2-2.1.4/sys/linux
directory. Open Makefile, and on the line that says
LIBSHARED=-ldl

I changed it to

LIBSHARED=-ldl -lnss_nis"

After doing this, my netatalk compiled and installed just fine. Thanks again.