Subject: [netatalk-admins] protocol not supported

From: [email-masked] (Preston F. Crow)
Date: 18 Jul 1999 23:01:44 EDT

I used to have netatalk set up and working just fine on another Linux
system with a 2.0.36 kernel, and now I'm trying to do the same with my
current system.  I've tried 2.2.x (for various x) and am now running
2.3.11-pre5.  With all of these, I find that when atalkd starts up, it
aborts with the following message in my syslog:

	setifaddr: eth0: Protocol not supported

I know that my kernel has appletalk configured.  I looked at the
atalkd source, and it seems that the problem is an error being
returned from ifconfig() in main.c.  I ran it under gdb, and it didn't
seem to report any errors, but it was probably not catching the fork.
A simple test program demonstrates that I can make AF_APPLETALK
sockets.

Running atalkd from strace reveals nothing obvious.  (It finds the
config file.)

I did find some references to people with this problem in the archive,
but I didn't locate any solution.

I'm running it as:
	atalkd -1

The only non-comment line in my config file is:
	eth0

So what could be causing this problem?

--PC