Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk Frustrations

From: "Anthony L. Sollars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 19:34:16 +0000

Sending it again, was not sure if it got through last time.

Dear all,

I just implmented netatalk into our network of a combination of 40 Ibm's
and Macs. I am running a Linux server with the newest kernel and have
Samba running very effiecently. Now I am trying to implement netatalk to
accomplish the same thing I did with samba. I can so far log in with any
mac and get my home directory off the unix server. But what I need to
know is, how can I make a share that is centrally accessible to all mac
users. Like a public share or something. Where I am going with this is I
would like Samba and Netatalk to be able to access the same public
shares. I require this for some of the account traffic our educational
software requires. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,

Anthony L. Sollars
Technology Coordinator
Star of the Sea

---

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 99 13:19:09 -0700

congratulations! you installed netatalk & got it running without ready 
_any_ of the man pages/documentation.

try 'man afpd' (and yes, usr/local/atalk/man must first be added to your 
MANPATH). the first two screens tell you everything you need to know 
about setting up shares for mac users.

>software requires. Thanks for any help you can provide.

"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the 
first thing you say to yourself?"
"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh.  "What do you say, Piglet?"
"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.
Pooh nodded thoughtfully.  "It's the same thing," he said.