Subject: [netatalk-admins] AuthMan <=> netatalk-1.4b2+asun-2.1.3 problem

From: Buck Huppmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:27:01 -0500

The following is more or less verbatim what I sent to <authman-problems
@umich.edu>, but since school's out of for the semester/trimester/quarter-
ly (or whatever they have at UMich) sessions I wonder if anybody's
staying current with that and, not having the time to wait 'til August
to find out, I humbly beseech your expert advice:

Actually, since I sent this message in, I've been doing some more inves-
tigating (i.e., looking for different results from the same process),
and I *have* gotten as far as getting the list of server volumes to mount
on a couple of occasions, but I don't know what distinguishes these. The
log file output has been updated to reflect these instances; the afpd
debugging output has been abridged to keep this message's length down
somewhat--let me know if you'd like to see it

Thanks for any help you can give

-- 

buck huppmann
pediatrics, university of iowa, iowa city, us
<[email-masked]>

----- Forwarded message from Buck Huppmann <[email-masked]> -----

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:57:17 -0500
From: Buck Huppmann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: AuthMan <=> netatalk-1.4b2+asun-2.1.3 problem
X-Mailer: Mutt 0.95.4i

Hi. I'm not sure if this is a netatalk problem or an AuthMan problem so
I'll try here first since I figure you all will be able to tell me
whether I'm barking up the wrong tree and should go bark up someone
else's

I've installed your Mac Kerberos packages (AuthMan 1.2.0 + AuthMan UAM
1.1 + KClientMan) on a machine running system 8.6. I'm trying to mount
volumes from a Linux machine running kernel version 2.2.5+RedHat patches
and netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 w/KRB=/usr/local, where we have KTH Kerberos
IV installed. The log file output is appended below.

In the configuration file, I've got a -notcp option for the default
afpd (the only one running), and it looks like authorization suceeds, but
my Mac won't mount my home directory volume, and if I create a
~~/[.]AppleVolumes file the Chooser won't show me a volumes list

This was working as lately as last week, and I don't think I've changed
anything on either the clients (none of our Macs can mount a netatalk
volume) or on the server

If you can help me out or refer me somewhere I can get the help I need
(be it computer-related or psychological) that would be a big help

A strange thing in connection with this that may or may not be a red herring:

If I log into the AFP server with the Chooser and then use a program that
exercises KClient (e.g., Mulberry or NCSA Telnet), although a service ticket
is fetched from the server (according to the KDC's logs), the program
subsequently fails to authenticate with the service. In one case (for
Mulberry), the program complains that it can't get a ticket for that
service (although it has, apparently), and the server logs seem to in-
dicate that it then doesn't even try to contact the service; in another
case (NCSA Telnet), the program contacts the server but fails to login

At any rate, included below is the debugging output from afpd if that's
of any help, and thanks

-- 

buck huppmann
pediatrics, university of iowa, iowa city, us
<[email-masked]>

--- Forwarded log file output ---

Jun 30 14:33:14 gumby kernel: NET4: AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0 
Jun 30 14:33:14 gumby atalkd[5857]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Jun 30 14:33:15 gumby atalkd[5857]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Jun 30 14:33:15 gumby atalkd[5857]: zip gnireply from 22018.124 (eth0 12)
Jun 30 14:33:16 gumby atalkd[5857]: zip_packet configured eth0 from 22018.124
Jun 30 14:33:17 gumby atalkd[5857]: rtmp_packet gateway 22018.250 up
Jun 30 14:33:18 gumby atalkd[5857]: rtmp_packet gateway 22018.169 up
Jun 30 14:33:23 gumby atalkd[5857]: rtmp_packet gateway 22018.124 up
Jun 30 14:33:24 gumby atalkd[5857]: zip ereply 22018-22018 from 22018.250 (no query)
Jun 30 14:33:24 gumby atalkd[5857]: zip skip reply 22018-22018 from 22018.169 (no query)
Jun 30 14:33:24 gumby last message repeated 3 times
Jun 30 14:33:44 gumby atalkd[5857]: ready 0/0/0
Jun 30 14:33:44 gumby atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
Jun 30 14:33:56 gumby atalk: papd startup succeeded
Jun 30 14:33:56 gumby papd[5872]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Jun 30 14:33:56 gumby atalk: afpd startup succeeded
Jun 30 14:34:02 gumby afpd[5883]: gumby:AFPServer@* started on 22018.9:128 (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Jun 30 14:34:07 gumby afpd[5886]: session from 22018.225:250 on 22018.9:129
Jun 30 14:34:08 gumby afpd[5886]: krb4_login: [email-masked]
Jun 30 14:34:08 gumby afpd[5886]: login buck (uid 1000, gid 1000)
Jun 30 15:01:30 gumby afpd[5961]: session from 22018.225:249 on 22018.9:130
Jun 30 15:01:31 gumby afpd[5961]: krb4_login: [email-masked]
Jun 30 15:01:31 gumby afpd[5961]: login buck (uid 1000, gid 1000)
Jun 30 15:54:55 gumby afpd[6038]: session from 22018.225:248 on 22018.9:131
Jun 30 15:54:56 gumby afpd[6038]: krb4_login: [email-masked]
Jun 30 15:54:56 gumby afpd[6038]: login buck (uid 1000, gid 1000)
Jun 30 17:29:11 gumby afpd[5883]: asp_alrm: 5886 timed out
Jun 30 17:29:21 gumby afpd[5886]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
Jun 30 17:29:31 gumby afpd[5886]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection timed out
Jun 30 17:29:31 gumby afpd[5886]: 0.03KB read, 0.15KB written
Jun 30 17:29:31 gumby afpd[5883]: server_child[0] 5886 done
Jun 30 17:29:41 gumby afpd[5883]: asp_alrm: 5961 timed out
Jun 30 17:29:41 gumby afpd[5883]: asp_alrm: 6038 timed out
Jun 30 17:29:51 gumby afpd[6038]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
Jun 30 17:29:51 gumby afpd[5961]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
Jun 30 17:30:01 gumby afpd[6038]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection timed out
Jun 30 17:30:01 gumby afpd[6038]: 0.03KB read, 0.15KB written
Jun 30 17:30:01 gumby afpd[5883]: server_child[0] 6038 done
Jun 30 17:30:01 gumby afpd[5961]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection timed out
Jun 30 17:30:01 gumby afpd[5961]: 0.03KB read, 0.15KB written
Jun 30 17:30:01 gumby afpd[5883]: server_child[0] 5961 done
Jun 30 21:20:49 gumby atalkd[5857]: zip gnireply from 22018.124 (eth0 b2)
Jun 30 21:20:49 gumby atalkd[5857]: zip ignoring gnireply
Jun 30 21:20:49 gumby atalkd[5857]: zip gnireply from 22018.250 (eth0 b2)
Jun 30 21:20:49 gumby atalkd[5857]: zip ignoring gnireply
Jun 30 21:20:49 gumby atalkd[5857]: zip gnireply from 22018.169 (eth0 b2)
Jun 30 21:20:49 gumby atalkd[5857]: zip ignoring gnireply
Jul  1 08:48:50 gumby atalkd[5857]: as_timer gateway 22018.124 down
Jul  1 08:48:51 gumby atalkd[5857]: rtmp_packet gateway 22018.124 up
Jul  1 09:16:01 gumby afpd[7499]: session from 22018.153:248 on 22018.9:129
Jul  1 09:16:06 gumby afpd[7499]: krb4_login: [email-masked]
Jul  1 09:16:06 gumby afpd[7499]: login buck (uid 1000, gid 1000)
Jul  1 09:21:47 gumby afpd[7511]: session from 22018.246:250 on 22018.9:130
Jul  1 09:21:51 gumby afpd[7511]: krb4_login: [email-masked]
Jul  1 09:21:51 gumby afpd[7511]: login buck (uid 1000, gid 1000)
Jul  1 09:34:20 gumby afpd[5883]: asp_alrm: 7511 timed out
Jul  1 09:34:30 gumby afpd[7511]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
Jul  1 09:34:40 gumby afpd[7511]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection timed out
Jul  1 09:34:40 gumby afpd[7511]: 0.03KB read, 0.15KB written
Jul  1 09:34:40 gumby afpd[5883]: server_child[0] 7511 done
Jul  1 09:35:37 gumby afpd[7532]: session from 22018.65:250 on 22018.9:130
Jul  1 09:35:43 gumby afpd[7532]: krb4_login: [email-masked]
Jul  1 09:35:43 gumby afpd[7532]: login buck (uid 1000, gid 1000)
Jul  1 09:38:54 gumby afpd[7499]: done
Jul  1 09:38:54 gumby afpd[5883]: server_child[0] 7499 done