Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and OPI

From: [email-masked] (Lee Blevins)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 19:36:45 -0500

Is there any interest in seeing netatalk perfom OPI? 

OPI (open pre-press interface) is a way of printing without the hi res
images and having a server insert them. The main benifit of this to free
the workstation from long printing tasks.

I realise it's not an issue for everyone. In our industry (pre-press)
it's a major consideration since images reach very large (60+ megs)
sizes.

Perhaps there should be another application that performs this. 
Is it possible to make netatalk just recieve the postscript file from a
workstation and deposit it in a directory? 

To perform OPI on separated postscript files would be quite a task. It
would be considerably easier to do it to a composite postscript file and
this would cover a very wide range of printing conditions.

Has this ever been tried? Could anyone be tempted to try it?

---

From: "Frank Morton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 09:58:20 -0500

>Anybody game on this "Simple OPI" code?

I might be game if to take on everything but the TIFF stuff.
Anyone want to do that part?

---

From: Peter Gutowski <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jan 99 10:44:04 -0500

Reply to:   Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and OPI
dgraph wrote:
> > As for in-RIP separations (and also to induce some discussion on RIP
> > capabilities) our Harlequin RIPs do support in-RIP separation, verifiedly
> > with CMYK, but according to the docs also spot colors, since about three
> > years. But let me ask once again to check (I never tried really hard this
> > myself): does Quark support spot colors in it's composite output?
> > The two most common systems seen in high end commercial printing are
> Rampage and Scitex. Both systems allow spot colors with composite eps
> input. > 
When printing in composite [color] Quark does not emit postscript from which the Scitex systems can extra spot colors. Scitex does provide a freebie Quark Xtension called "Spot Colors" that adds the necessary ps code so that the Scitex RIPs can pull out the spot colors. This extension can be downloaded from:

ftp://www.scitex.com/files/mac/xtspotcolors201.hqx

(also see: http://www.scitex.com/supp/software/downloads.htm )

Scitex does not have a reputation of doing things that are applicable to other imagesetting platforms, so I would doubt (but can't say for sure) that the extension will work in other PS environments. Not surprizingly to me anyway, but that same Xtension causes PS errors if you accidently use it when *not* requesting to do spot color seps, (i.e. CMYK output).

Peter Gutowski

Power-Vue Graphics
[email-masked]
http://www.powervue.com/~peterg  << NEWLY UPDATED Jan 6, 1999 !!

---

From: "Will Cox" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:12:16 -0500

>>But we use almost exclusively (more than 98%) Photoshop EPS and
>>Illustrator EPS files, where a lo-res file is unnecessary,
>
>My experience is the same. What does everyone think. Does an EPS
>only OPI do the job (i.e., no TIFF or Scitex CT support is not really
>a problem)?

What, nobody's using DCS these days?

Our clients use TIFF and EPS.

Rgds,

Will Cox
Network Administrator
I.M.A.G.E. INC.
<http://www.imageinc.com/>
<mailto:[email-masked]/>