Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] installation question: Solaris 7

From: John Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 00:14:52 +0000

On 18.3.99 at 14:29, Wenchi Liao <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have a friend trying to get netatalk going on 64bit sol7, and failing
> on the make kinstall (loaded, but not attached, or however that message
> goes). Presumably, the rest (etc/afpd, etc) compiled without a hitch. I
> had him try afpd -d -T and it just quits out. This is the 2.1.3 and the
> test version of netatalk. Haven't had a chance to truss this to see
> what's happening.

yes. your friend and I have the same problem. I hadn't tried the A Sun 2.1.3 and now I have and it does the same thing as the umich 990130 -- which is the not attaching thing under 64-bit sol7, compiled with gcc 2.8.1. Fine to there, though.

John Browning   |||   71 Richmond Ave   |||   London N1 0LX
t + 44 171 700 1230      |||      f + 44 171 700 5255

---

From: Allen Wittenauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:32:30 -0800 (PST)

> yes. your friend and I have the same problem. I hadn't tried the A Sun 2.1.3 and now I have and it does the same thing as the umich 990130 -- which is the not attaching thing under 64-bit sol7, com…

FWIW,

	I just tried to build it again here at work on my desktop (Solaris 8,
64-bit... yes, I work for Sun Micro) with DevPro 5.0/FCS in both 32-bit and
64-bit.  It would appear that ddp doesn't work with the 64-bit kernel
booted.  I didn't get a chance to actually sit down and look at the code
though to give more info than that. 

	I suppose it is time to ask the big question:  do you _have_ to have
the 64-bit kernel running?  {bear in mind that you are going to get like a 10%
speed decrease due to the larger structures of the 64-bit architecture}  If
you don't, then bop it back down to 32-bit and live happy. =)

---

From: "David S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:32:15 -0800 (PST)

> yes. your friend and I have the same problem. I hadn't tried the A Sun 2.1.3 and now I have and it does the same thing as the umich 990130 -- which is the not attaching thing under 64-bit sol7, com…

Well I can report that 'pre-asun2.1.4-2.tar.gz' compiled with the demo
version of Sun's WorkShop 5.0 C compiler works fine under a 64 bit
Solaris 7 kernel on a Sun Ultra 5.

David S.
[email-masked]