Subject: [netatalk-admins] How does Darwin affect netatalk?

From: Jonathan Michael Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:19:38 -0600

Hello--

I'm wondering what affect, if any, Darwin will have on netatalk? 
Apparently *all* of the underlying code below the GUI level in MacOSX is
being released (well, is released.  <http://www.publicsource.apple.com>
).

Jonathan

-- 
Jonathan Michael Hawkins		Northwestern University
Assistant Network Administrator		Evanston, IL USA
McCormick Computing Support		http://www.tech.nwu.edu/support
mailto:[email-masked]			OAS, AAS, LLS!!!  -- GO CATS!

---

From: Netatalk Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:23:06 -0600 (CST)

I doubt that this will affect netatalk.  OS X is based on the bsd kernel
and OS as a whole.  It is simply the MacOS GUI on top of it.  Claiming
that the system is to be launched as mostly open source was basically a
given.

What does it offer?

Sendmail, Apache, BSD Unix... all open source already.

The only part that they are not releasing for the most part is the
original Mac GUI, which was not open source to begin with.

I love the idea of Unix with a Mac interface, but the Darwin announcement
means very little in the netatalk world.

If anything, netatalk will be absorbed into the new OS X since it can
compile on the BSD system, and that is what I may do if I has such a
system.

Open source has just proven itself to be better.

I just can't wait to see how well OS X really performs.  I want it!