Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: missing file at make

From: Nicole Lallande <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:33:01 -0700

am trying to compile netatalk - (RH Linux 6.0 using netatalk-1.3.3) and
there seem to be an include file missing - endian.h looks for bytesex.h -
and the file does not exist.  Have searched other directories - no joy.

Thanks for the help.

Nicole

***********************************
Nicole Lallande
VOX:  760.753.6766
FAX:  760.753.6768
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
______________________________ "Advice to worms:  Sleep late"
www.mipana.com
www.high-techmarketing.com
***********************************

---

From: patrick finerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 20:23:36 -0400 (EDT)

hi,

this is part of the GNU C library distribution and since you don't
have it i'm guessing your installation of the C lib is incomplete. i
suggest (re)installing it to be sure...

you can verify my claim with a search for bytesex.h on google.com... 

-pjf 

-- 
       "There is only one aim in life and that is to live it."
 Karl Shapiro,(1959) from an essay on Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer
	      finger [email-masked] for PGP key
		 http://abragam.med.utoronto.ca/~zinc

---

From: "Christian Pomar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 00:30:19 +0200

Hello,

Get yourself netatalk1.4 in rpm format and install it directly with the rpm
utility... much easier. I tried to compile 1.3.3 long time ago... I
succeeded, but I had to hack the sources quite a bit.

I can remember of some changes: just forget about bytesex.h: delete all
#include<bytesex.h>. After that, you will get many errors which make
reference to signal. I'm sorry I can not remember exactly what happened, but
I think that the problem was an erroneus assignment of an integer to a
signal structure. There is a macro in signal.h (referenced in Stevens,
Advanced programming in the Unix Environment) which you can use to
initialize the signal masks... sorry y can not remember exactly now... hacks
work this way: you use them and then forget them; specially if you end up
finding an "rpm" file someway.

¿Where to find it? in RedHat.com, in "contrib". It's called
netatalk1.4b2+asun2.1.1 (more or less).

Once installed, it works quite fine.

Christian

---

From: "Tom Tilmant" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:39:13 -0700

I am reposting this questions to you all.  I am new with Netatalk and have
installed the netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0-5.rpm for RH 6.0. The installation
went great and I believe the process has started.  It seems that I have only
one process running.

root       518  0.0  0.3   912  408 ?        S    Aug25   0:00 atalkd

But the Mac is not seeing the server.  This is a small network with a few
PC's, one Linux server, and one Mac.  There is nothing at this time seeding
the network.  When I installed Netatalk, I left all config files alone and
am running at default.  With the suggestion of someone in this group, I
tried adding /nt/samba/shared shared to the AppleVolumes.System and then to
the AppleVolumes.Default with no luck.

When I try to run the afpd, I get "Segmentation fault" error.

When I run nbplkup I get the following.

             ns:Workstation                        65280.79:4
             ns:netatalk                           65280.79:4
 <Unnamed>:  Power Macintosh                  65280.173:251

The Unnamed Power Mac is my desktop mac.  Also Appleshare IP does not work.

Hopefully I have just miss configure something, hopefully one of you experts
can guide me to light :-)

Tom Tilmant
[email-masked]

---

From: Wenchi Liao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:39:29 -0500

>root       518  0.0  0.3   912  408 ?        S    Aug25   0:00 atalkd

any log messages? If you don't know how syslog.conf is set,
go to /var/log (or /var/adm, or whatever) and do a grep for
atalkd and afpd.

If you do "/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start" (or whatever rh
calls it) by hand, any messages? What happens if you call
afpd by hand? (look at the init file for command line
options, if any).

>am running at default.  

I usually skip emails about problematic redhat installs,
because it is usually installed from rpm. So a ``default''
install from rpm can means what exactly? It may be helpful
to note what these files are.

>When I try to run the afpd, I get "Segmentation fault" error.

Are you comfortable with strace? Try "strace /path/to/afpd"
and examining the results. Again, seeing if apfd managed to
dump a log message my be helpful.

My guess is that the best answer is to compile netatalk by
hand.

WL

>can guide me to light :-)

Well, afpd is what does the actual sharing, while atalkd
makes the machine visible from the chooser. So if afpd dies
with seg. fault, any kind of file sharing isn't going to
work.

WL