Subject: [netatalk-admins] CD Server

From: Ian Hitchman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 16:59:22 +0100 (BST)

Dear Netatalk-admins,

System:-
Linux 6.0
netatalk 1.4b2
hfsutils3.2.6
 
Is it possible to copy a Mac CDROM to an IDE HD and serve over the
macintosh network. I have no trouble serving a mounted hfs Mac cd from
netatalk but every attempt to copy the cd to a hformatted volume fails.

Ian

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 20:31:26 +0200

>Linux 6.0

What is Linux 6.0? Latest Kernel is 2.2.10 at my knowledge. Do you mean SuSe Linux 6.0?

>netatalk but every attempt to copy the cd to a hformatted volume fails.

Why copy the content?
Just make an image (dd if=/dev/cdrom of=Imagefilename) and mount this with
mount -t hfs -o ro,loop,fork=netatalk Imagefilename /mountpoint

You actually need the loop device as module or compiled into the kernel as well as support for the hfs filesystem (the latter you seem to have, 'cause you say you can mount HFS-CD-ROMs).

:wq! PoC

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 09:27:05 +0100

Dear netatalk-admins,

system Redhat 6
netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.0a
hfsutils3.2.6

I have a script that mounts a mac cd as follows "mount -t hfs -o
ro,afpd,fork=netatalk,names=netatalk..." Under netatalk, as a shared mac
cd, I have found no problem with this from the cdrom. My problem is this,
when I make a hard disk image of this cd I get an error I can not fix. eg I
mount my cd as above and create the image with dd " dd if=/dev/cdrom
of=Photoshop_Tour " which then mount as mount -t hfs -o
ro,loop,afpd,fork=netatalk,names=netatalk Photoshop_Tour /mount point. The
image appears to work fine except for an error " -1 document Reference is
invalid " on a pdf link that on the mounted cd opens acrobatreader but not
on the dd image.

Any pointers?

Ian.

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 08:37:05 +0200

>Any pointers?

Seems to me like a problem with the hfs_fs kernel module.

:wq! PoC