Subject: [netatalk-admins] PPD

From: Christian Pomar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:46:10 +0200

Hi all,

I have netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-4 running on a RH6 linux machine (I got
it from Red Hat on a rpm file). It works fine and my lonely macintosh
(iMac) mounts volumes OK and sees correctly the printer (which is an
LJ1100 feeded by ghostscript). Well, it prints OK if I do not use a PPD
file. 

When I specify a PPD in the /etc/atalk/papd.conf, when it gets to print,
the Macintosh stays frozen and in the syslog file appears:

Aug 21 00:41:04 localhost papd[2181]: child 2306 for "Impressora a
Linux" from 65280.203

and nothing happens. 

Depending on the Macintosh application trying to print, the results are
different: Quark hangs completely the machine, Word gives a timeout. In
the linux side, after some time, the "done" message appears in syslog. 

I have tried many things, but I never succeeded to print when specifying
a ppd file. 

I have been looking around in the archive but I have found nothing. ¿Any
suggestion about what is happening?

Does anybody else print with a lj1100? what ppd do you use? can you
always print correctly using GS?

Thank you very much

Christian Pomar

---

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:06:44 -0500 (CDT)

It might be because you did not put the PPD file in the appropriate
translation onto the Unix system. Remeber Mac and Unix use different end
line markers.

+--------------------------------------------------------------+
 Russell E Glaue, Technologies Engineer   [email-masked]
 Center for the Application of Information Technologies
 101 Horrabin Hall, 1 University Circle, Macomb, Illinois 61455
 http://www.cait.org  http://cait.wiu.edu

---

From: Christian Pomar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 01:13:39 +0200

First of all, thank you for the answer. 

I am using one of the PPD's that comes with PC-MACLAN, which is a
commercial product that does the same as Netatalk, but under Windows
95/98. I thought that encoding was the same for DOS and Linux...

I will give it a try and explain you what happened.

Christian Pomar

---

From: Erik Ohlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 09:49:16 -0700

Any Adobe-supported Windows PPD can be downbloaded from:
http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/printerdrivers/winppd.html
Mac PPDs from:
http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/printerdrivers/macppd.html

-- 
<------------------------------------------------------------->
| Erik Ohlin      Cell:(760) 533-7555     voice:(760)438-8933 |
| Pacific     http://www.pacificcolor.com   fax:(760)438-8414 |
| Color   1916 Palomar Oaks Way, Ste 100, Carlsbad, CA  92008 |
<------------------------------------------------------------->