Subject: [netatalk-admins] Permissions Question

From: Netatalk Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 10:14:08 -0500 (CDT)

Hello again,

I have now set up the third machine for use with netatalk and a macintosh
user base, but now it has become complex.

Here is the deal, I have a group of designers and they need access to a
large part of the server, totalling 5 different volumes.  Then there is
the sales team which has a partition of their own, which the designers
cannot see or write to.  And then there is another volume mounted for the
project manager which should be read by everyone but only writeable by the
project manager.

Like this...

volume: designers - sales - project coordinator
vol1     rw         r-      rw
vol2     rw         r-      rw
vol2     --         rw      rw
vol4     rw         r-      rw
vol5     rw         r-      rw

I know how to make it work on the Unix side, but I am unsure how to make
netatalk work with my new settings.

I will be making a new user called admin which will will have group access
to both the designers and the sales area, but in order for that to work I
will need to make the designer and sales server group writable.  This is
easily done, but how do the AppleDouble files work?  Will they behave the
same way as the data fork side with the same permissions?

Also, what does the "s" and "S" do for me when I have a Network Trash
Folder or other directories that are created on the mac side?

Brennan Stehling - unix/mac user