Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Back again... (Solaris)

From: John Barry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 09:44:32 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

> What exactly is the problem?  The Solaris streams module won't compile
> or 'make kinstall' fails?  I've never had any trouble compiling
> netatalk under Solaris 2.5.1, 2.6, and 2.7, with gcc, egcs or Sun C.

It compiles and installs without a hitch, but whenever I try to run:

/etc/init.d/atalk start

It says:

starting appletalk daemons: can't establish STREAMS plumbing, exiting.
 atalkdbind: Cannot assign requested address
bind: Cannot assign requested address
 nbprgstr papd afpd.

So all the daemons come up, but nothing works...

This happens no matter which version I build or what I build it with, I 
rejoined the list because I simply ran out of options. I'm doing a clean 
install of 2.5.1 (not 11/97) onto a sparc 1 I scavanged together from parts 
even as I type this, if that don't work then I really am out of options save
for going native, and falling back to SunOS 4.1.4

> Because of some make problems, I once had some trouble with 'make
> kinstall'.  But just by looking at the Makefile in 'sys/solaris', I
> could see the shell commands that 'make kinstall' was trying to
> execute, and run them "by-hand" to into install the kernel driver.

Nope, never had a problem, installs/deinstalls cleanly every time.

I'm not having a programming or install problems, the damn thing simply won't
come up :)

later
jb
----
Windows: The colourful clown suit for DOS

---

From: "Andrew Snell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:42:16 -0500

Do not be offended at this suggestion, but have you made sure that you have
your eth interface (le0?) specified in /path/to/atalk/etc/atalk.conf ?