Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk crashed my machine?

From: Mark Stosberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 20:32:55 -0500

Hello!

  I'm new to this list, although I'm not to netalk-- I have been running
an older version for over a year with few complaints. Tonight I upgraded
to netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 and ran into some problems, which I'm hoping
to get some help with. I did not find a solution on an available
webpage, and would appreciate a pointer if there is one published that I
missed. 

Synopsis of problem: 

  The installation went fine, and I could successfully connect to the
file server as usual. However, now when some files are copied from the
server, (FreeBSD 2.2.8) to my Mac (G3 with MacOS 8.6), I get a Mac
system error "-50", which the Mac Error database describes as "Error in
user parameter list". Each time this happens, there is a corresponding
entry in the system log, like this: 
 Sep  2 19:57:53 nollie afpd[363]: afp_openfork: ad_open: Input/output
error 
  
 How can I prevent this from happening?

Related informatin and Hypothesis:

  I made sure my AppleVolumes file were in the right place and appeared
to un-funky (below for reference). I tried a number of difference little
tweaks and would then restart the servers (kill -9 all the processes,
delete the atalkd.conf file and then use the startup script found rc.atalk).
  On one of these restarts, the server hung entirely and hand to be
rebooted (which is very rare as those who use similiar flavors of unix
know). Here were the last entries in the log file prior to reboot:
Sep  2 19:27:16 nollie papd[23091]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Sep  2 19:27:24 nollie papd[23091]: can't register nollie:LaserWriter@*
Sep  2 19:27:26 nollie afpd[23093]: Can't register nollie:AFPServer@*
Sep  2 19:28:09 nollie afpd[23097]: afp_openfork: ad_open: Input/output error
Sep  2 19:52:55 nollie /kernel: Copyright (c) 1992-1998 FreeBSD Inc

 Would it be relevent that I compiled netatalk to work with tcp
wrappers, but have not yet made entries for the binaries in
/etc/inetd.conf ?

 Any help given will be much appreciated!

   -mark

--<<-------------------------------------------------------------->>--
personal website                <    Summersault Website Design
   http://mark.stosberg.com/     >       http://www.summersault.com/

contents of /usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.system

#
# This file is read before (after if -u is specified) the user's
# AppleVolume file.  Add extension mappings and volumes here.
#
# default translation -- note that CR <-> LF translation is done on all
# files of type TEXT.  The first line turns off translation for files of
# unknown type, the second turns this translation on.
.       BINA    UNIX
# .       TEXT    UNIX

# sounds
.mod    STrk    STrk
.mid    Midi    ttxt
.aiff   AIFF    SNdm
.wav    WAVE    SNdm
.au     ULAW    SNdm

# video
.moov   MooV    mMPG
.mov    MooV    mMPG
.mpg    MPEG    mMPG
.mpeg   MPEG    mMPG

# formatted text
.html   TEXT    R*ch
.rtf    TEXT    WPC2
.doc    WDBN    WPC2
.cgi    TEXT    R*ch
.pl     TEXT    R*ch

# compressed archives
.bin    BINA    MB2P
.zip    ZIP     ZIP
.tar    TARF    TAR!
.gz     Gzip    Gzip
.Z      ZIVM    LZIV
.sea    ????    SITx
.cpt    PACT    CPCT
.sit    SIT!    SIT!
.hqx    TEXT    SITx

# graphics
.tiff   TIFF    8BIM
.tif    TIFF    8BIM
.bmp    BMPp    8BIM
.pct    PICT    ttxt
.pict   PICT    ttxt
.jpeg   JPEG    8BIM
.jpg    JPEG    8BIM
.gif    GIFf    8BIM