Subject: [netatalk-admins] Linux Freezing...

From: "Michael S. Reiling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 23:18:20 -0700

I am not sure if this is the problem at all, but I recently installed
RedHat 6.0 on a dual P-133 system.  It ran netatalk and everything else
fine using redhat 5.2...

As soon as I migrate to a 2.2 kernel, the system will freeze.  This
happened under RH5.2 with 2.2.4 kernel and not RH 6.0 w/ a 2.2.5 kernel.

Has the appletalk driver changed under the new kernel?  This is really
the only thing I can think of that might cause it to freeze.  Recently
we have had high appletalk traffic, so this is the only reason I am
looking at the netatalk kernel driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

---

From: "Mike Reiling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 09:47:27 -0700

My system is a dual Pentium-133 w/64Megs of ram and 25 gigs of disk space.
The ethernet card is a 3C509.  The motherboard is a Tyan Tomcat III (1563D).
My guess is it has something to do with the smp stuff, since I have only had
problems on this machine.  As har as glibc, I was running the 2.2.4 kernel
under redhat 5.2 w/ its stock glibc, so I don't think it could be the new
version.

I will play around with it.  I might just swap the smp kernel for a single cpu
kernel for now, and then get a new motherboard, since I would like a faster
machine anyway.

Thanks for all your help,
Mike

Albert Max Lai wrote:

> On Sunday, May 9 1999, "Michael S. Reiling" said:
>
> I am running redhat 5.2 with a 2.2.7 kernel. It is working fine, so I
> don't think the problem is in the 2.2 kernels. I've also used all of
> the development kernels since 2.1.123 or so and every 2.2 kernel, and
> none of them have caused any problems. The only other major difference
> in RedHat 6.0 is glibc. RedHat 6.0 has glibc2.1 as opposed to
> glibc2.0. You might want to try recompiling netatalk. I don't think
> that is an issue either since I'm also running glibc2.1 and it hasn't
> caused me any problems... yet. As far as the appletalk driver goes, I
> think that it has actually changed slightly, but at least in my case,
> it hasn't caused me any problems. Can you give any more details about
> your system (hardware, ethernet card, etc.)? Are there any logs?
>
> --
> Albert Lai <[email-masked]>           1018D East Campus
> Residential Computer Consultant           411 W. 116th St.
> Columbia University                       New York, NY 10027
> http://www.columbia.edu/~aml61            (212)853-4854

---

From: Magnus Stenman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 10:04:18 +0200

I run netatalk under 2.2.7 and glibc2 with no problems.

Maybe it's the RH6.0 glibc2.1 that mess things up?

/magnus

-- 
 Magnus Stenman   mailto:[email-masked]   http://www.hkust.se

 Get it up, keep it up.  Linux -- Viagra for your PC

---

From: Wenchi Liao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 09:41:05 -0500

>looking at the netatalk kernel driver.

Have you recompiled everything (netatalk related)? Are RH 6.0's 
userland stuff (esp modules) being used? What does ``freeze'' mean? not
boot? boot, but can't load modules? boot, run, but kerneld dies when
atalkd begins?

One big difference between the kernel in redhat 5.2 and 6.0 is that SMP
is enabled by default in redhat 6.0. So, just changing the kernel isn't
enough.

WL

---

From: satadru pramanik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 11:55:17 -0400 (EDT)

Running netatalk 1.4-asun2.1.3, under linuxppc, redhat mostly 6.0,
glibc2.1, rock stable.

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Magnus Stenman wrote:

/magnus

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

----
satadru pramanik [email-masked]'
"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit
with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S
relativity." 
-Albert Einstein
---