Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk on Solaris 7?

From: Marlys Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Feb 1999 06:39:39 GMT

We have been running netatalk on linux happily for the last 8 months.
We are now changing directions with the server that is running
netatalk - going from a linux intel server to a brand new Sun E3500
running Solaris 7.

Are there any gotchas with netatalk on Solaris that are going to bite
me?  I'm particularly interested in whether netatalk on Solaris will
honor access control lists (acls).  I understand Solaris has this
feature and I can think of several situations in which I could find
using these useful, but only if netatalk will work with them.

-- 
Marlys A. Nelson                      Sr. Network Specialist
Information Technology Services       Network Services
University of Wisconsin - River Falls 
410 South Third Street                Email: [email-masked]
River Falls  WI  54022                http://www.uwrf.edu/

---

From: Thomas Tornblom <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:56:00 +0100 (MET)

> using these useful, but only if netatalk will work with them.

AFAIK there is no 64-bit netatalk yet, although Wes mentioned that the latest 
snapshot (990130) might work.

The UE-3500 will by default boot a 64-bit kernel, and it requires *all* drivers 
and kernel modules to be 64-bit.

You can force the machine to boot a 32-bit kernel if you need to run old 32-bit 
drivers and don't care about running 64-bit apps.

To boot the 32 bit kernel set "boot-file" to "kernel/unix" in the OBP or with 
"eeprom".

I have not followed the development of netatalk lately to have any idea about 
the support for ACL:s.

Btw, I run the now ancient 971007 snapshot of netatalk on my ss10 (32-bit only) 
with Solaris 7. I built it on 2.6 (or was it 2.5.1?).

I haven't come around to test any of the newer versions. I guess I should be 
giving a suns version a try as my new G3-mac could benefit from running AFP over 
IP. I feel there is just too many versions coming out and I have better ways of 
spending my time than trying to catch up with every patch.
 
Thomas

Real life:      Thomas Törnblom             Email:  [email-masked]
Snail mail:     HB Hax                      Phone:    +46  18 290 290
                Banvallsvägen 14            Fax:      +46  18 290 291
                S - 754 40 Uppsala, Sweden  Cellular: +46  73 986 6318