Subject: [netatalk-admins] mac to linux file transfer

From: fred orispaa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 10:12:23 +0300

I need to be able to send files from my mac to my linux box (connected 
via netatalk). i can mount the linux drives to the mac and copy FROM them. i 
cant copy TO them, because my linux partitions are completely full (nothing i 
can do about that at the moment, getting a bigger hard drive later...anyway
i need to transfer several gigs), and dos partitions only have write
permission for root (chmod doesnt seem to let me change that, i suppose it
has something to do with them being dos partitions?).
i also tried setting up the mac as an ftp server, and ftping it from the pc 
using root, which works, but for some reason transfers are shoddy at best. it 
connects and starts up transfers, but will transfer about a meg, then pause
for 
a minute or two, transfer another meg, pause, etc, until around 5 megs when
it 
just times out. this is over 10mb ethernet, kernel 2.0.36, and system 7.5.1.
i just downloaded afpfs and will try that now but judging by what ive read
and heard it wont even compile, and even if it did, it wont work on a small
lan such as mine.
so:
1) how can i allow write permissions on my dos partitions for users other
than 
root?
2) why does ftp choke like this on transfers and how can i fix it?

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 17:39:09 +1000

fred orispaa said in [netatalk-admins] mac to linux file transfer at 
06/Apr/1999 (Tue) 17:12:23.

> just times out. this is over 10mb ethernet, kernel 2.0.36, and system 7.5.1.

You didn't say what FTP server you ran on the Macintosh.

> 1) how can i allow write permissions on my dos partitions for users other

Ah!  man mount is your friend.  I'll snip the relevant portion:

Mount options for fat
       (Note: fat is not a separate filesystem, but a common part
       of the msdos, umsdos and vfat filesystems.)

       uid=value and gid=value
              Set the owner and group of all files. (Default: the
              uid and gid of the current process.)

       umask=value
              Set the umask (the bitmask of the permissions  that
              are  not  present). The default is the umask of the
              current process.  The value is given in octal.

So, you can setup gid=100 (or whatever your users group # is), and the 
umask=770, and voila!
You now have write access!
 
> 2) why does ftp choke like this on transfers and how can i fix it?

This sounds like a Macintosh-side problem.  If you're having mega-lags every 
1MB, that's suspiciously like a Disk Cache size interval... maybe your drive 
is mega-fragmented on the Mac-side....  You say it persists for a minute or 
so?  Unless your hard drive is hella-slow, and mega-fragged, it shouldn't 
take that long to write 1MB.

Do a disk check, run a new Disk First Aid (the 1.6.x or newer) and repair the 
volumes in question, etc, etc.

Failing that, it could be a network setup problem.  

Myself, to/from my PowerMac 8500/120 with FTP [Fetch, set to 32k buffers] to 
a Linux 2.0.36 machine equipped with a 3Com Vortex/Boomerang [PCI] netcard 
(we have only 10BT alas), I get the ethernet theoretical limit of xfer rates 
[until my Disk Cache on the Macintosh dumps - and even then, I'll sustain 
nearly 1MB/sec for a 100MB file, say].

Whatever the net chip Apple used starting with the PCI Powermacs is 
definitely a decent one.  The ones in the Nubus PowerMacs are just OK.

=R=

---

From: Eddie Irvine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 20:37:19 +1000

Hi,

This may not be relevant, but do you know that your linux box
can FTP to *anywhere* on your LAN at a decent speed (like
800 kbytes/sec).

I mention this because I had a slowness problem for quite a while,
and it turned out my PC had left the factory with its 
ethernet card set to full duplex.

Unless you are connected directly to a switch, half-duplex
is what you want.

Eddie.

---

From: fred orispaa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 13:41:06 +0300

>You didn't say what FTP server you ran on the Macintosh.

its some generic little daemon, simply named ftpd.

>Ah!  man mount is your friend.  I'll snip the relevant portion:

super. it worked. at least, i now have read/write access on the dos
partitions. however, another problem arose. it (the mac) starts the
transfer, but gives me an error code -50 (whatever that is. i love these
mac error codes). i can transfer to the linux partitions just fine. anyway
it leaves me with a 0 byte file.

>So, you can setup gid=100 (or whatever your users group # is), and the 

what exactly is umask? i didnt set this (just in case by some miracle that
happens to be the problem).

thank for your help. any more suggestions would be appreciated.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 10:55:01 +0200 (CEST)

Sorry if my questions R already answered (in that case wouldst thou please
point me to the place):

1.) Is it reliable to use from the mac-client side (most 8.1, some 8.5.x)
aliases pointing to netatalk-exported-files ?
I remember some troubles with akronyms like DIDs - is that fixed ,
is there any max. depth in exportet volume hierarchy, should mean: is
there a difference whether the alias points to a file in one subfolder or
a file deeper like 3 subfolders ?

2.) Does it work to bind atalkd on virtual interfaces like eth0:1 ?
I tried that once, there stroke trouble about mutlicasting what i was able
to change but still there were just ifconfig-ethertalk-messages for the
"real" ifs:

eth1      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:5A:B2:41:8E
          inet addr:192.168.11.10  Bcast:192.168.11.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
          EtherTalk Phase 2 addr:49321/100
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:2933414 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:2732722 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x6300 

thank you in advance,
thomas

---

From: Ravens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 11:28:09 +0200

referring to your message from 09:39 06.04.99 :

>> using root, which works, but for some reason transfers are shoddy at best. 

You aren't using something like "tleds" on your linux box are you? I know
it sounds strange but - do you have a keyboard/mouse connected permanently
to your linux box (no "workstation switch" in between)?

regards,
Ravens

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 19:58:21 +1000

fred orispaa said in Re: [netatalk-admins] mac to linux file transfer at 
06/Apr/1999 (Tue) 20:41:06.

> happens to be the problem).

You should set the umask, because otherwise, your connecting client won't 
have proper write access.  *DO* set it. :)

=R=

---

From: fred orispaa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 15:32:33 +0300

>have proper write access.  *DO* set it. :)

i presume i set this where i set uid and gid, but how do i know what to set
it to? id only reports by user as gid=100 and uid=500.

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 14:38:16 +1000

fred orispaa said in Re: [netatalk-admins] mac to linux file transfer at 
07/Apr/1999 (Wed) 22:32:33.

> it to? id only reports by user as gid=100 and uid=500.

As I already told you: set the umask to 770.

+>Owner    +->Group   +->Others
7          7          0
111        111        000
^^^- Exec  ^^^- Exec
|+-- Write |+-- Write
+--- Read  +--- Read

Get the picture? :)

=R=

---

From: fred orispaa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 12:13:52 +0300

>+>Owner    +->Group   +->Others

aha! i was confused because i thought it was an 'id' like gid and uid, not
just a set of permissions. 
thanks for your help.