Subject: [netatalk-admins] Backup Solutions?

From: Thompson Freeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 10:57:07 -0400 (EDT)

With the beginning of school, I should really start backing up the
children's Mac. Unfortuantely for me, the only tape system in the house is
on my Linux box.

What I would like is an open source client/server system (or something
really really cheap) to back the Mac up on the tape drive. Is there such a
beast, or am I getting into a real "roll your own" situation? Also, is it
possible to mount/share the Mac disk on the Linux box. I've heard of a
program to do so, but have not been able to locate a source or name.

I've got netatalk working, and TCP/IP, so communication isn't a problem.

Thanks in advance.

=========================================================
Thompson Freeman           Even the Immortal Brahma
                           Shaves before he hugs his mama
[email-masked]          Karma Shave
========================================================

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 19:17:27 -0400

> program to do so, but have not been able to locate a source or name.

	The below URL points to an HFS kernel patch for linux to allow LOCAL
mac disks to be mounted/read.
	http://www-sccm.stanford.edu/Students/hargrove/HFS/

	The below URL is to a product called AFPFS which allows you linux box
to browse/communicate on an AppleTalk network. It can mount remote mac
shares and all that good stuff. It does not work well with the 2.1.x or
2.2.x kernel, however.
	http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/mirror/afpfs-1.0b1.tar.gz

	The below URL is a "pre-alpha" version of AFPFS that "works" under
2.2.x. I have found it fairly stable, but the author cautions its use.
	http://www.panix.com/~dfoster/afpfs

-- 

          - Matthew Keller -
       Lead Programmer/Analyst
  Distributed Computing and Telemedia
State University of New York at Potsdam

Web: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/
PGP: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/crypto/

---

From: Thompson Freeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 22:24:56 -0400 (EDT)

Thankyou both for the URL's and the quick response. This is turning into a
"roll your own" kind of exercise, but the pieces seem to be available at
least!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 15:17:51 +0200 (CEST)

> really really cheap) to back the Mac up on the tape drive. Is there such a
i recommend afbackup which is available on most linux-distributions
i am not sure whether someone has finished a mac-client yet
but using the possibility to mount mac-shares that should be a work-around
greetings,
thomas

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 11:19:58 -0700 (PDT)

fyi,

i'm planning on writing an afpclient program for the unix side of
things as i already have a few odds and ends that i'm using for
testing purposes. patches, of course, are welcome.

-a