Subject: [netatalk-admins] atalkd / afpd problems

From: Jonathan Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 10:55:41 -0500

Greetings, 

I've been running netatalk for a couple of years on a number of platforms,
and have never come across an error like this before.

The machine in question is running NetBSD 1.3.2 (i386).  I built netatalk
1.4b2+asun 2.1.3 with the des library (the one that's built into NetBSD).
There were no errors at compile time, however, when I startup atalkd, I get
the following error:

Nov 14 10:41:25 lsc atalkd[5242]: route: 25210 -> 18701.1: Network is
unreachable   ("lsc" is the hostname)

which is repeated a number of times with different network numbers
substituted for "25210" above.  IIRC, 18701.1 is the appletalk router, so I
guess this might be a router problem.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Also, when I kill atalkd, I get the following message:

Nov 14 10:41:25 lsc atalkd[5242]: route: 25210 -> 18701.1: No such process

also repeated many times with other network numbers substituted for 25210.
The result of this is that classic networking doesn't work, and even after
running nbprgstr, the machine does not show up in the Chooser.  Further
more, when I try and access that zone in the Chooser, atalkd sends the
following to syslog:

Nov 14 10:31:02 lsc atalkd[5165]: nbp lkup sendto 24809.80: Network is
unreachable  (24809.80 is the Mac I'm connecting from)

On a somewhat related note, afpd works fine, and I can get AppleShare IP
working, however when I use randnum/rand2num, I get the "insecure
permissions found for /home/joeuser/.passwd".  This is odd, as the .passwd
file is owned by "joeuser", in group "users", and is chmod 600.  Does
anyone have any ideas on that?

Thanks, 

Jon