Subject: [netatalk-admins] RH6 + MD5 passwords - PLEASE!

From: Thierry Michalowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 15:10:05 +0200

Hello,
I recently sent a message concerning my linux box with RedHat 6.0
installed on it.
I got no answers, only a kind but wrong one from Ken Weiss who
I directly contacted (thanks, Ken!).
I got netatalk14b3+asun sources , compiled it with DES, tcpwrapper _and_
PAM support , everything ok this far.
The problem is, I cannot mount any exported volume from a Mac with a
registered user on the Linux box; it always answers "Wrong password" .
Mounting with the "guest" account works, though.
My problem seems related to the fact that I choosed to enable MD5
passwords during the Linux installation.
I should explain that MD5 passwords are in no way related to the shadow
passwords system: MD5 is simply another algorithm of encryption of the
passwords that, as a side effect, allows for 256-bytes long passwords!
(okay, from a Mac point of view this is of no use so I restrict the mac
accounts to 8-bytes passwords).
So, my question is this : has anyone succeeded in running netatalk on
such a Linux configuration?
Thanks a lot
Thierry Michalowski

--
Thierry Michalowski                                     /
Edipresse Publications S.A                 \\\' ,      / //
Informatique de Production                  \\\//    _/ //'
33,av. de la gare                            \_-//' /  //'
1001 LAUSANNE SUISSE                           \ ///  //'
phone: +41 21 349 46 26                        /  >>   \\\`
mailto:[email-masked]       /,)-^>>  _\`
                                              (/   \\ / \\\
"Unix is user-friendly...                           //  //\\\
It is just selective about who its friends are"    ((`

---

From: "Mike Reiling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 09:33:39 -0700

I am Running RH6.0 w/ MD5 and Netatalk all working happily.  I am not using
the DES support.  I can send you config files or anything else that might
help ya.

--Mike