Subject: [netatalk-admins] Server disconnecting frequently

From: Tobias Galitzien <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:26:08 +0200

Hello!

I have a problem with netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.1 on Debian 2.1 (the
distribution supplied .deb packet of netatalk).

I can connect from any Mac to the server, it works very well but after
about 10-20 minutes (seems to depend on data transfer amount) the client
reports "the server has disconnected unexpectedly" and stops further
transfer. After that I can reconnect normally but the same thing happens
again some minutes later. This occurs with every client, using MAC OS
7.5, 8.0, 8.5 and 8.6.

Any ideas what is happening here and where I can further look for the
error?

-- 
Tobias Galitzien	mailto:[email-masked]
Channel.One GmbH 	http://www.channel-one.de

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:25:38 +0200

>distribution supplied .deb packet of netatalk).

I had the same problem with 2.1.1, after updating to 2.1.3 it was gone.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Kendall Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:01:36 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Tobias Galitzien wrote:

> about 10-20 minutes (seems to depend on data transfer amount) the
> client reports "the server has disconnected unexpectedly" and stops
> further transfer. After that I can reconnect normally but the same
> thing happens again some minutes later. This occurs with every client,
> using MAC OS 7.5, 8.0, 8.5 and 8.6.

We had the same symptoms until we realised that we had to put entries in
inetd.conf for afpd and atalkd - although netatalk is not run through
inetd, it apparently uses tcp_wrappers to allow connections. Anyway, the 
problem went away... :)

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - [email-masked]
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 18:12:52 +0200

At 11:01 Uhr +1000 30.07.1999, Kendall Lister wrote:

>inetd, it apparently uses tcp_wrappers to allow connections.

Huh? And what ecactly did you configure?
Sure that you don't mean /etc/services?

>Anyway, the problem went away... :)

I bet this is not related to your inetd.conf.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Kendall Lister <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 13:28:19 +1000 (EST)

> Sure that you don't mean /etc/services?

Yes. We put lines like:

afpd: ALL
atalkd: ALL

in hosts.allow, and the problem was solved.

> I bet this is not related to your inetd.conf.

I didn't intend to suggest that it was - as above, I meant to refer to
hosts.allow and hosts.deny.

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 13:37:55 +0200

>in hosts.allow, and the problem was solved.

For afpd, it's true. It uses tcp_wrappers. For atalkd, this entry does exactly nothing. Atalkd doesn't use TCP, hence it doesn't use tcp_wrappers.

>hosts.allow and hosts.deny.

Uhm, then...

:wq! PoC