Subject: [netatalk-admins] Maximum Connections Limit?

From: "Anthony L. Sollars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 00:04:38 -0700

Dear all,

     I have netatalk+asun running on a samba using slackware 3.6
installation, that has been running like atop for a year now. But, i have
only had 4 macs using the netatalk fileserver up till now, in which I have
added 8 more to the network. For some reason I get an error saying "The
attempted Connection to the server has failed. Try again later." I did some
reading and found that netatalks default connection limit is 5, and that is
how many it is allowing to connect.Anything more than that is denied with
that error message. it hen tried adding a "-c 20" to the afpd.conf file,
which would increase the connection limit to 20, but this has not helped. I
even tried a /usr/sbin/afpd -c 20 , but this also did not work. So if anyone
has some ideas or has come across this problem before, please e-mail me. As
always, all help is extremely appreciated.

Sincerely,

--------------------------------------------------------------
Anthony L. Sollars
Technology Coordinator
Star of the Sea School
1411 Grand Ave.
Astoria, Or 97103
(503) 325-3771
[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Edward Birdsall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:03:26 -0400

Hi,

The default limit is 5 as you found out.  Did you alter the rc.atalk file
in /etc/rc.d and change the afpd start adding '-c 20' where 20 is the
number of potential concurrent macs to support.

It is not the afpd conf file that needs changing but the rc.atalk file.

---excerpt from rc.atalk in /etc/rc.d
if [ -f /usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd ]; then
        /usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd -c 20 ;   echo -n ' afpd'
fi
-------------------------------------
is what my rc.atalk would have to support 20 concurrent macs.
my reference on 8/27/97 was:
http://www.stpt.usf.edu/~johnson/linux/faq.html#limit  which is still
valid.

Yours,
Ed

------anthony wrote---
>always, all help is extremely appreciated.
_______________________

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edward Birdsall            Senior Computer Systems Specialist
[email-masked]            Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences
Phone: (734)764-8262       College of Engineering
Fax:   (734)763-4540       University of Michigan,   48109-2104
------------------------------------------------------------------------