Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] CD Server

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:42:29 +0200

At 9:58 Uhr +0100 29.06.1999, [email-masked] wrote:

>     In a recent message to the netatalk list, you gave this example
>
>mount -t hfs -o ro,loop,fork=netatalk Imagefilename /mountpoint
>
>and I am puzzled - what is the fork=netatalk option to mount ?

This is for hfs-volumes which use the hfs_fs kernel module for mounting.
It is available separately or you find it in the recent 2.2 kernels.
Fork=netatalk tells the module to export the Mac-Resources netatalk-compatible.

>From /usr/src/linux/fs/hfs/HFS.txt:

 2.5.  fork={cap, double, netatalk}

  default value: cap

  This option determines how resource forks and the Finder's metadata
  are represented within the structure of the Linux filesystem.

     cap
        The scheme used by the Columbia AppleTalk Package's AUFS.

 [some lengthy explanations removed]

     double
        The ``AppleDouble'' format recommended by Apple.  (Apple's other
        recommended format, ``AppleSingle'', is not yet implemented.)

 [some lengthy explanations removed]

     netatalk
        The scheme used by the Netatalk afpd.

 [some lengthy explanations removed]

>I use
>Netatalk, though never with loopback mounted CD images like this, and I
>haven't mounted hfs volumes under Linux either,

So you never got in need of this :-)

>but I can't find any
>mention of this option to mount in the mount man page. Can you enlighten
>me, please ?

Perhaps the mount-manpage isn't up to date with the recent kernels.

>Can you enlighten
>me, please ?

I hope, I could help you out.

:wq! PoC