Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk printing

From: "Goran Cassel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:26:54 +0200

Hello all,

We have a problem printing to a Apple Laserwriter 360 Postscript printer.
It's connected to lpt1: on a RedHat 6.0 running netatalk+asun. The printer
is setup in printcap & papd.conf

Quark documents with text prints OK, so does Illustrator logos but when we
try to print a document with a bitmap .tif, the printer start printing
hundreds of pages with garbage.

Any ideas? All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks & best regards,

Göran Cassel

---

From: Sean /The RIMBoy/ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:50:27 -0500 (CDT)

> hundreds of pages with garbage.

I am probably wrong, but you probably need to be checking into see if
binary postscript services are enabled.  Right now it sounds like ascii is
enabled, but not binary.  I recently ran into this problem with a Xerox
Docuprint NC20 which would print out garbage from Photoshop and Canvas,
but not PDF's or Netscape stuff. (? I said)  The solution was to enable
binary PS, which immediately cleared up the problem.  

As far was where to look, I am not quite sure.  I know the symptom, but
the solution requires a specialist :(  (Or someone who is doing this).

Sincerely,

Sean...

Everything you know is wrong,
Just forget the words and sing along.    --Weird Al
===========================================================================
home: www.rimboy.com/       @home firewall howto: www.rimboy.com/firewall/
===========================================================================
Through the server, over the router, off the firewall... Nothing but 'Net!

---

From: Benjamin Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 01:53:32 +1000 (EST)

I'd think you need to send the document with the .tif as ASCII not binary.
That is, ASCII postscript encoding of the picture not BINARY encoding.

Check you printer settings in whatever application you're using (e.g. Page
Setup) etc.

-- Ben