Subject: [netatalk-admins] authentication and printing

From: "Van Osta, Peter [JanBe]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 08:46:51 +0200

Hi,

I installed the netatalk-1.4b2-5.i386.rpm on my RedHat 5.2 system (from the
RedHat contrib site) . The RedHat 5.2 was installed right out of the box, so
without shadow passwords.

I tried to activate user login from the Mac, but I did not succeed, although
I tried to understand the manuals that came with Netatalk. I also did not
succeed in printing from the Mac, although the printer (HP Laserjet III D)
appears in the chooser on the Mac after I set up tha printer for Mac on the
Linux-box.

Guest login works, so I can transfer files to/from the Linux-box.

Has anyone succeeded in using the netatalk-1.4b2-5.i386.rpm and enabling
user login and printing, and could you please send me the config files used
to accomplish this ?

I have SAMBA installed on the same Linux-box and this works just fine.

Sincerely yours,

Peter Van Osta
email: [email-masked]

WWW: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pvosta

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 15:28:39 +1000

Van Osta, Peter [JanBe] said in [netatalk-admins] authentication and printing 
at 23/Apr/1999 (Fri) 16:46:51.

> appears in the chooser on the Mac after I set up tha printer for Mac on the

AFAIK, login/security support for LPR (printing) devices was only recently 
added in LaserWriter 8.6.1 driver [freely downloaded from Apple's web site].  
Check that out!   

Peter, unless I really really misunderstand the RedHat distribution, it 
*DOES* use shadow passwords (and PAM).

=R=

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 01:50:15 -0400

>> Peter, unless I really really misunderstand the RedHat

You right, I believe the person who distrubuted the package *did* compile
with shadow passwd and pam support.  You need to convert your password to
shadow by using pwconv command or compile netatalk yourself without shadow
and pam support as you wish.

Alex