Subject: [netatalk-admins] Passwords on Solaris

From: Michael Harlow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 18:01:22 +1000

Hello. Could someone tell me if it's possible for users to
change their password at the "Chooser" with netatalk.

I've installed recently (netatalk1.4b2+asun2.1.3), and love the
improvement over CAP, but the 'set password' button is dimmed
when entering username/password in the chooser.

I'm running Solaris 2.5 on Sparc, with shadow passwords, but I
didn't do anything special other than a make to install.

Is their any plans to authenticate against an NT domain 
controller. I use this with Samba, and everyones PC passwords
are stored on just the NT server. It would be nice to have
the Macintosh passwords syncronised to the NT ones, as many
of my users are drifting backwards and forwards between PC
and Mac each day, but need separate passwords.

Thanks, Michael

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael J Harlow                        email : [email-masked]
Computer Systems Officer, School of Geography and Environmental Studies, 
University of Tasmania, GPO Box 252-78, Hobart Tasmania 7001, Australia.
Phone : (03) 6226 2212 or 0419 585 308         fax  : (03) 6226 2989
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Landgraf, Victoria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:52:54 -0000

Michael --

  I had the same need as you to authenticate against an NT domain
controller,
so I compiled netatalk with pam support and am using pam_smb, obtained from
http://www.csn.ul.ie/~airlied/pam_smb/.  The one BIG problem I had was that
at first it would authenticate but not show any volumes ("Connection 
unexpectedly broken" on the Mac side, core dump on the Unix side).  I got
around this by commenting out the pam session stuff, which seems not to 
function right under Solaris.  Works great now, though I wouldn't want to
guarantee it in every environment.  Let me know if you want more details 
(diffs, information, whatever).

Victoria Landgraf
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Harlow [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, June 28, 1999 8:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [netatalk-admins] Passwords on Solaris

Thanks, Michael