Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] AppleTalk-IP with Linux ipddp

From: "Ephraim Franzzup" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 02:17:19 PDT

>Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] AppleTalk-IP with Linux ipddp

>While this isn't an answer, there are other ways to do what you
>probably want.  One of those is network address translation (NAT),
>where your Linux box will forward packets between two subnets, 
>rewriting the source IP's, and handle the data coming back.  Think
>firewall.  Then you give your client(s) a fake IP and Linux will do 
>all the magic.

Umm, that doesn'Ý really help much. :-)  The Duo 270c that I want to 
connect has just the one serial port, so I'm limited to LocalTalk, 
which only supports AppleTalk packets. All other protocols, such as IP, 
need to be encapsulated/tunneled over an AppleTalk transport - with IP 
the protocol used is IPDDP, supported by the Linux kernel and by other 
things such as Apple's now-obsolete MacIP server.

Chris Ferebee
cf at ferebee dot net

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com