Subject: [netatalk-admins] afp_alarm: child timed out

From: Danne Lundqvist <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 11:12:00 +0200

A user on a MacOS 8.5 is using Quark Xpress 4.0.05.
Our server is a RedHat 5.2 with netatalk 1.4b2.

When the user saves very large documents her system
hangs and the document is destroyed. In the logfile
"/usr/log/messages" this appear;

May  7 08:25:41 obelix afpd[18903]: afp_alarm: child timed out
May  7 08:25:41 obelix afpd[18903]: 536.57KB read, 5111.20KB written

Anyone knows what's going on? Is it a simple "I don't know
how to set the correct timeout-time" or something more complicated?
This is causing the user to really kick our arses since they
have to do jobs over and over...

Thanks in advance,

Danne Lundqvist
System Manager
OPV System

---

From: Randy Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 09:00:23 -0500

Outside of Quark can you save large files?
What rev of netatalk the standard rpm or a self compile? 
Did you apply 8.5.1?
Does your system have quota support?
Any routers involved?
What kernel?
Do you have the kernel dynamic ip patch enabled?

After this info maybe we can help.