Subject: [netatalk-admins] OS 8.5+ and copying applications to shared filesystems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 18:59:03 -0700

Hi again,
	I'm trying to make use of netatalk for our site and while I've
been quite successful using pre-asun2.1.4-35, I seem to have run into
some rather strange behavior.

	If I want to copy anything that MacOS recognizes as an
application, using OS 8.5 or higher, the file appears to transfer
properly but at the end the Mac shows me that the file couldn't be
coppied because "error type -50 occured".  Looking through include/asp.h,
it would seem that all the error codes are -50##.  Not especially useful
it seems.
	What is very strange (although perhaps not as strange as the
problem appearing in the first place) is that OS 8.1 seems to have no
trouble what-so-ever copying these applications over the network.

	My guess is that somewhere along the line, netatalk is trying
to assign some sort of file type information and is failing.  I can't
seem to figure out where this is going on or why it would fail with 8.5
and succeed with 8.1.  I'd appreciate any comments regarding similar
experiences.

/* Sam */

---

From: "Malcolm McLeary" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:59:35 +1000

Sam,

> and succeed with 8.1.  I'd appreciate any comments regarding similar

I have EXACTLY the same problem on a Cobalt Qube.  I have been able to
reproduce it on a 2nd Qube, but am yet to try a Qube 2, but I think they're
both running the same version of netatalk.

Unfortunately I'm yet to resolve the problem, however in my instance it's
only "group" volumes which are affected ... personal (i.e. home
directories") seem to be ok.

Its NOT a quota problem ... its only a problem for "applications" so its my
guess that Finder is trying to set something to indicate that the file is an
application (possibly "executable"?) and netatalk is refusing to play nice.

Cheers,  Malcolm

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

                     TDA Systems Engineering Pty Ltd
                             ACN 079 090 850
                           Canberra, Australia
                        http://www.tdasys.com.au/

Malcolm McLeary                                  Phone: +61 2 6251-5270
Information Technology Manager                   Fax:   +61 2 6251-5205
FileMaker Solutions Alliance Member              Mobile:   0412 636 086

     This message was sent using Outlook Express 4.5 for Macintosh.