Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and OPI

From: Wagner One <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 18:40:53 -0500

I haven't heard of any project like this (other than the commercial 
ones), but would be interested to hear of any (or any interest for that 
matter).

Mike

On 1/13/99 7:36 PM, Lee Blevins wrote:

>Is there any interest in seeing netatalk perfom OPI? 
>
>OPI (open pre-press interface) is a way of printing without the hi res
>images and having a server insert them. The main benifit of this to free
>the workstation from long printing tasks.
>
>I realise it's not an issue for everyone. In our industry (pre-press)
>it's a major consideration since images reach very large (60+ megs)
>sizes.
>
>Perhaps there should be another application that performs this. 
>Is it possible to make netatalk just recieve the postscript file from a
>workstation and deposit it in a directory? 
>
>To perform OPI on separated postscript files would be quite a task. It
>would be considerably easier to do it to a composite postscript file and
>this would cover a very wide range of printing conditions.
>
>Has this ever been tried? Could anyone be tempted to try it?
>

--
Mike Wagner - A bad Dead show is better than a good day at work...
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

---

From: Kadinger Andras <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:06:14 +0100 (CET)

Ahh, welcome! :)

I was proposing this (and indeed doing some work as well) about a year
ago; I'm glad this surfaced again!

Please take a look at and comment on my current plans at
http://www.lettera.hu/~bandit/OPI/ ; some of these is already in place,
however I'm stuck at fixing papd to be completely binary transparent, as
well as fixing pap to finally work with the Harlequin RIPs we have around
here so that I can actually test what I write.

> >Is there any interest in seeing netatalk perfom OPI? 

[deletia]

> >Has this ever been tried? Could anyone be tempted to try it?

Hmm, I'm open to any cooperation as long as the product is going to be
free (and/or it gets me a job in Dallas for the next six months including
the working visa necessary to travel in from Hungary :) ). 

Regards,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]