Subject: [netatalk-admins] HARD DRIVE PROBS.

From: Lu Lazar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:57:56 -0400

Hi,
Still having grief with this system.  Can someone tell me how to configure
this puppy - as I'm a relative newbie to linux.

1.  I have 2 drives (UDMA/IDE)  that are 14 & 22 gig respectively.  Both
drives have over 4000 cylanders.  Whenever I install redhat 5 as "server"
it auto partitions and installs fine.  EXCEPT that it only partitions the
14 gig drive (and it does so in a WIERD way - 16m, 10gig, 10gig, 256m,
256m, 64 swap.

2. When I try to fdisk the 22 gig drive manually - it says the boot
partition is too large.  I suspect that it's cuz the 22 gig is set to
MASTER - and it's thinking that it is the boot - regardless of filesystem.

Now.  How do I set up  this system to accomodate the following needs for my
appletalk network:
a) Have all 10 mac compooters see 3  distinct "drives" in their chooser
	1. Scans
	2. Production
	3. Fonts
b) There is no need for anyone to have a "home" directory - as their local
HDs will do. The problem I run across is that linux seems to have a limit
on partition size. How can I partition the drives smaller - yet make it
look as a large contiguous area (actually 3 large areas)?

c) Now.  On previous attempts to install/configure netatalk (newest
redhat/asun rpm on a 2.0.36 kernel) seems to work just fine.  I see the
linux box in the chooser  BUT cannot log into it -  I get a device not
available message.
	1. running netstat does NOT show afpd as running - even though it is.
	2. It broadcasts appletalk at startup fine - but that's all.

HELP!!!!

The person who can succesfully solve this dilemna gets a date with either
my sister, brother or farm animal (your preference)  ...                 :)

Thanx in advance