Subject: [netatalk-admins] Guests and .AppleDouble

From: Oliver Hitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 13:22:50 +0100 (MET)

Hi, 

We have a problem with guests accessing netatalk volumes. Files cannot be
read if the .AppleDouble directory does not exist and the guestuser
doesn't have write access. Even copying the file onto the desktop does not
work. As soon as the .AppleDouble directory and the corresponding resource
fork file exist or the .AppleDouble directory is writable by the guest
user, the file can be read.

We have got the following messages in the syslog. I think they are related
to this problem:

  afpd[3803]: getforkparams: ad_refresh: I/O error
  afpd[3803]: afp_openfork: ad_open: I/O error

We already have the noadouble option in the configuration. If I have
correctly understood the documentation, this should force netatalk only to
create a .AppleDouble file if required. I don't understand why it tries to
open or create a resource fork for a simple .zip file we want to copy?

Any help is greatly appreciated. By the way, we are using
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3.

Regards

Oliver

---

From: Jay Palat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:39:23 -0500 (EST)

Has anyone had any luck installing netatalk on Solaris 2.7? 
I'm a newbie at Solaris Admin, and I'm getting the following error
when I'm trying to install netatalk-1.4b2:

> gmake
Making all for solaris...
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/export/home/jay/netatalk-1.4b2/sys/solaris'
gcc -D_KERNEL -mno-app-regs -munaligned-doubles -fpcc-struct-return
-D__svr4__ -DSOLARIS -O -I../../inc
lude -I../netatalk   -c ddptp_rdq.c -o ddptp_rdq.o
ddptp_rdq.c:45: conflicting types for `putnext'
/usr/include/sys/stream.h:710: previous declaration of `putnext'
gmake[1]: *** [ddptp_rdq.o] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/jay/netatalk-1.4b2/sys/solaris'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

Has this been covered in the 1999 archive?  I haven't found the archive to
check.

Any help would be greatly welcomed! Thanks again
Jay

---

From: "David S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 17:36:55 -0800 (PST)

> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/jay/netatalk-1.4b2/sys/solaris'

Did you re-compile 'gcc' after you upgraded to Solaris 7?  It looks to
me like you're using a 'gcc' built on an earlier version of the OS. 
You have to re-build the compiler, or maybe use the "fix-includes"
facility that comes with the distribution.

David S.