Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and Samba in a Winnt domain

From: Cyril Godefroy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 15:43:56 +0100

I'm curious if anybody tried this:

At the moment, we have several winnt servers which are working not too bad. 
One is the PDC, DNS, web and email server. The second one is a file sharing 
server. The third is a database and application server.
It would be fine except that half of the machines are Mac, and pretty slow 
when talking to the file server. Plus, I cannot set the file permissions as 
I would like.
So I'm trying to find a way to change to a Linux box with netatalk and 
samba for the file server.

One of the objectives is to keep a "simple" yet powerful user 
administration. All my users are registered in the PDC, and I don't want to 
have to duplicate them in the linux box.

Any ideas and comments would be appreciated.
=================
Cyril Godefroy
Lab Production
Tel +33 1 55 07 28 28
Fax +33 1 55 07 80 92
www.lelab.com
=================

---

From: Sean /The RIMBoy/ <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:24:23 -0600 (CST)

First and foremost, on the samba end of things... pick up SAMBA...
Integrating Unix and Windows by John Blair.  The book covers several
implementations of networking with PDC's and the like.  In terms of
getting netatalk authenticating against the pdc... that one is a little
out of my league.  You might see if you can get netatalk to authenticate
against samba (which would authenticate against your pdc).

> have to duplicate them in the linux box.

Sean...

Everything you know is wrong,
Just forget the words and sing along.    --Weird Al
===========================================================================
Through the server, over the router, off the firewall... Nothing but 'Net!

---

From: "Jonathan Newman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:20:41 -0800

We are using a PAM module under Redhat linux to do authentication with netatalk
and NT PDC.

Check this out <http://www.csn.ul.ie/~airlied/pam_smb/> for the pam module.

You will still have to create user accounts, but the authentication can happen
through the PDC.

Jon