Subject: [netatalk-admins] getting ever closer

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 11:21:37 -0700 (PDT)

hi all,

i've made available pre-asun2.1.4-33.tar.gz in
ftp.u.washington.edu:/public/asun/testing. please let me know if it
does the correct thing for you. in this snapshot, we get the following
things:
	1) i changed the default volume icon to the os x server
	   one. you can specify -I (-icon in afpd.conf) to get back
	   the old one.
        2) i went through and fixed a bunch of compile-time issues. 
        3) following [email-masked], i changed the device type
	   for ddp on solaris.

here's the plan if i don't get any complaints:
       1) due to the large number of changes that have been made, i'll
          be upgrading the version to asun2.2.0. that will become a
	  bugfix-only branch.

       2) i'll start an asun2.3.x branch for lots of spiffy new
          features. these include:
	  a) overhaul of the permission stuff.
	  b) massive utilization of a catalog database.
	  c) closer integration with samba.
	  d) creation of an afpclient program.
	  e) general cleanup of the code. i'd like to make libatalk
             thread-safe, for instance.
	  f) improved server-side support via ipc. 
	  g) overhaul of the printer code.
	  h) plus a whole lot more.

-a

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:12:13 -0400 (EDT)

Are there any plans, or can anyone give me advice on what would be
necessary to port netatalk to irix.  Is it necessary to port a kernel
module as well, or can netatalk just use the appletalk module that comes
with k-ashare(which comes in a limited version with irix)?

Thanks

Don Smith