Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk and y2k

From: Harry Zink <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:49:27 -0800

>now, you can go home and make sure your toasters are y2k compliant. i,
>of course, decided to wait impatiently for the epochal 18 jan 2038 to
>13 dec 1901 transition.

I'll just be sitting pretty until 20,429 AD.

Harry

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:05:43 -0800 (PST)

i take it that you don't need to access files. if you're using current
era hfs, appleshare, and hfsplus, you might be surprised. here are the
approximate wraparound dates:
   appleshare:  2068
   hfs/hfsplus: 2040

while i may not have the 20,429 vantage point, those dates don't look
so different from 2038.

-a

---

From: Steve Lay <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:35:42 +0000

20,429 AD - what an idea.  By that time errors in the leap year algorithm
may mean you miss your epoch party by as much as week.  Or will you arrive
so early so that you think humanity has been wiped out by a date-related
bug in microwave oven controllers?  I'm afraid I don't remember...

---

From: Alex Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 01:09:36 -0500

Hello,

I am just wondering that if anyone has done such thing and willing to share
your codes.  I am looking for when a user changes his password through
AppleTalk, netatalk will also update the password on server's password
database (passwd/shadow).  And when user changes his password on the shell,
it will also update his atalk's password...  Or why can't we just don't use
~~/.passwd?

Alex