Subject: [netatalk-admins] Compiling on Solaris 7

From: Ari Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:32:59 -0500 (CST)

Ok, I've tried and tried to compile netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 using the new
compilers from Sun Workshop 5.0. I went into the directory sys/solaris and
modified the Makefile to include the following cc compiler options:

OPTOPTS=        -fast -xO4 -xstrconst -xtarget=ultra -xarch=v9a

According to the manual page for cc, -xarch=v9 or v9a  is supposed to
generate 64bit code. However, I can't get it to compile! I've turned off
every option in the main Makefile and am still at a loss. Right now, I'm
getting the following exit status from the compilers:

make[3]: Entering directory
`/pundit/a/aberman/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/bin/aecho'
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -D__svr4__ -DSOLARIS -I../../sys/solaris -fast -xO4
-xstrconst -xtarget=ultra -xarch=v9a -Kpic -I../../include -o aecho
aecho.o -L../../libatalk -latalk -lsocket -lnsl
ld: fatal: register symbols used incompatibly, symbol `' reg: REG_G2
in file `aecho.o'
        incompatible with symbol `' reg: REG_G2         in file
`../../libatalk/libatalk.a(atalk_addr.o)'
ld: fatal: register symbols used incompatibly, symbol `' reg: REG_G2
in file `aecho.o'
        incompatible with symbol `' reg: REG_G3         in file
`../../libatalk/libatalk.a(atalk_addr.o)'
make[3]: *** [aecho] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/pundit/a/aberman/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/bin/aecho'
make[2]: *** [aecho] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/pundit/a/aberman/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/bin'
make[1]: *** [../../bin] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/pundit/a/aberman/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/sys/solaris'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Am I using the wrong flags in the compiler? How can I make this work.
Thanks in advance for any help you may offer. Please respond to this
address: [email-masked].

Thanks!

Ari Berman
System Administrator and Research Assistant
University of Texas at Austin
Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology
http://www.icmb.utexas.edu
(512) 232-4815

---

From: Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:13:18 -0600 (MDT)

> address: [email-masked].

I don't think Adrian intended for netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 to compile/run
under Solaris 7 64bit. I have been using the 2.1.4 snapshots without
problems. The latest pre-asun2.1.4-27.tar.gz snapshot requires two tweaks

1) remove the FRC bit from the sys/solaris/Makefile
2) make the definition for server_lock in include/atalk/util.h the same
   as it is in libatalk/util/server_lock.c

Tim

---

From: Ari Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:25:04 -0500 (CST)

>    as it is in libatalk/util/server_lock.c

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by changing the definition. I've
tried making the declaration variables the same, and that doesn't work.
Can you be a little more explicit? Thanks in advance. The help is greatly
appreciated!!

--Ari