Subject: [netatalk-admins] NIS and Netatalk

From: ian reinhart geiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:50:47 -0600

is it possible to get Netatalk to use a NIS to authenticate a user.
we have a central NIS server and i was hopping that i could just let
users use there usernames and passwords on that server instead of
creating new accounts.

    -ian reinhart geiser

--
.-----------------------------------------------------------.
|[]                   NeXT Generation                    [X]|
|--------------------------,--------------------------------.
|  PC Network Specialist,  | Office:    CCSD Data Center    |
|  Macintosh Specialist @  | Phone:     414.277.4528        |
|  Milwaukee School of     |                                |
|        Engineering       |--------------------------------|
|                          |                                |
|   ian reinhart geiser    | phone:   414.220.9683          |
|   Apt #510A              | email:   [email-masked]      |
|   1029 N Jackson St      | web:     www.msoe.edu/~geiseri |
|   Milwaukee, WI 53202    |  NeXT/Be/Cyberdog Mail okay!   |
|                          |   MIME or BinHex prefered      |
|--------------------------'--------------------------------|
'-----------------------------------------------------------'

---

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:00:47 +0100

Well, netatalk (normally) authenticates against the unix password
mechanism. If this is NIS or just plain /etc/passwd, netatalk won't know
the difference. I have all users in NIS, and the afp server is a nis
client. If you don't wan't the users to be able to log in in other
fashions than afp, add them to a NIS netgroup and add that netgroup to
/etc/passwd on the afp server as
+@macusers::::::::/sbin/nologin
That way, they cannot get a shell on the afp server, but can be logged
in with afp.

Another way would be to authenticate directly with the NIS server. It
can probably be done, but I am clueless to how.

/Palle

---

From: Steve Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:34:42 -0600

we're authenticating users thru nis+ on a solaris box.
most users are configured thru solstice with /bin/false as a shell, so they
can only mount volumes, no shell. on our linux box, users are also
authenticated thru solstice.
make sure you have ypbind on the linux box. we ended up hardcoding the nis
server in /etc/yp.conf.
steve
>> users use there usernames and passwords on that server instead of

steve moore
mis guy
the enteron group
815 s. jefferson
chicago, il
60607
800.497.cmyk
[email-masked]