Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] "too many files open"

From: clyde jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:15:40 -0500

>Try MacOS 9.   The number of allowed open files has increased dramatically.
>
>

That is like buying a new car cause the old one had a flat; the 
solution is a lot simpler than installing a new OS.

On a G4 running 8.6, too many fonts in the fonts folder will cause a 
"too many files open" error; consolidating fonts into suitcases will 
eliminate that error without having to lose fonts. AFIK, this is a 
specific problem with the G4 and OS 8.6, iMacs and G3's are not 
affected.

  That is the problem I had on my G4 and the solution I used.  I can 
now have as many apps as I want with as many files open as I want.

I apologize for being brusque, but when I asked about this problem in 
comp.sys.mac.system I got the same 'upgrade to fixit' answer and a 
lot of more rude posts when I didn't want to upgrade, but fix the 
problem.

--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==
Pray to God, But Hammer Away
     - Spanish Proverb
           Clyde Jones

Clyde Jones
Http://www.geocities.com/clyde-jones
mailto:[email-masked]
Cell 443.226.6054
--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==--==

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Thousands of Stores.  Millions of Products.  All in one place.
Yahoo! Shopping: http://shopping.yahoo.com

---

From: admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:30:17 -0600 (CST)

Is there a MacOS->unix translator available?  What is a 'suitcase'?  Argh,
does O'Reilly have anything on this?

Rich

---

From: clyde jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:45:01 -0500

>does O'Reilly have anything on this?

Mac -> UNIX translator for what? lingo or files?

A suitcase is a mac OS thing (left over from system 4 or 5 I think) 
that allows you to "bundle" fonts or da's into a package for dropping 
into the system folder. Sort of a module approach to adding 
functionality to the system. It is obsolete except for handling fonts 
now.

I don't thing O'Reilly has anything on macs, but the Mac Bible or 
Maclopedia will cover the same stuff (if they have been updated for 
sys 9)

Clyde Jones

---

From: Chris Colburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:07:18 -0600 (CST)

The problem, however, is not related to fonts: as one user (me), I have no
problem copying the same block of files to the user's desktop... while
logged in as another user (the machine owner), I get the "too many files
open" error.  No, this doesn't have to do with root privs either, as I
tried with another user account as well and got the same ok results as
with my account.

Any other ideas?

Chris