Subject: [netatalk-admins] some questions and comments re. Netatalk+Asun

From: Georg Schwarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 16:29:37 +0200 (MEST)

I've just compiled and installed netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on Linux.

I'm wondering whether it is possible to use TCP/IP only, i.e. disabling
Ethertalk support? Would that even render ddp kernel support unnecessary?
I've included -noddp in afpd.conf, but still logins via Ethertalk seem
possible.

Another question: what exactly is the difference between rand2num and
randnum encrypted passwords?

With the use of ~/.passwd there's the problem that afpd tries to access that
file as root. Now if ~ is on an NFS mounted volume where root is mapped to
nobody afpd cannot access ~/.passwd. I think the proper way would be for
afpd to change its effective uid to that user for accessing ~/.passwd.
Would that be hard to add?

-- 
Georg Schwarz                             [email-masked]
Institut für Theoretische Physik    Tel. +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universität Berlin          http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
Sekr. PN 7-1, Hardenbergstr. 36, D-10623 Berlin            IRC: kuroi

---

From: Andrew Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 08:17:56 -0700 (PDT)

> I've included -noddp in afpd.conf, but still logins via Ethertalk seem

Sure.  In your netatalk startup script, don't start atalkd, just afpd.
afpd will use IP, but DDP won't be available without atalkd.

	Andy

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 17:12:11 +0100 (BST)

> Would that be hard to add?

but then the content of .passwd would be exposed on the
network by NFS ....

        gerry

---
[email-masked]
computing officer
department of computing science, university of newcastle, tel: +44 191 222 8139
newcastle upon tyne, ne1 7ru, united kingdom.             fax: +44 191 222 8232

---

From: Georg Schwarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 18:27:30 +0200 (MEST)

> but then the content of .passwd would be exposed on the

sure it would, no more or less than any other file you put into your NFS
exported home or whatever directory