Subject: [netatalk-admins] Protocol Errors and more

From: Rick Zeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 18:56:57 -0500

I've got a slight problem with netatalk running on kernel 2.2.2 (RH 
5.2+).  With both 1.4b2+asun2.1.2 and 2.1.3, I get kernel messages sying 
that "protocol 0400 is buggy, dev eth0".  Same message for protocol 9b80 
(whatever those protocols are).  Stopping all atalk daemons causes the 
messages to go away.

This didn't happen with 2.1.2 running under kernel 2.0.36.

Additionally, with the compile and addition of -2.1.3, after a successful 
asip login, there's the console error message of "afpd: warning" fixing 
up broken v1 header."  This error does NOT occur when mounting via 
regular appletalk, just asip.

Any clues?

Thanks!

_________________________________________________________________________
Rick Zeman                           In our secret world, we will collide
mailto:[email-masked]            In all of the places we were hiding love
Will Rogers never met Bill Clinton       What was it we were thinking of?

---

From: Rick Zeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 19:33:48 -0500

On 3/3/99 7:14 PM, a sun <[email-masked]> said:

>umm. can't help here. i'm pretty sure netatalk can't generate those by
>itself. 

Of course not.  But it seems to be a combination of netatalk and that 
(particular?) kernel.  Just curious if someone knew where to check 
further on this.
>umm, it is NOT an error. it says that it's a warning, and it tells you
>that it fixed it. so, don't worry.

Okay, I type corrected. ;-)  The question changes to why does this 
warning now appear after every asip (clear-text) login?

---

From: Rick Zeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 21:32:44 -0500

On 3/3/99 8:56 PM, a sun <[email-masked]> said:

>   Good hunch.  Turned out to be the ASIP support in the 2.2 kernel.  Just 
>   built a new one without it and no protocol errors.
>
>okay, i'm a little confused here. there's no such thing as
>kernel-level ASIP support. there's AppleTalk support, but that's

Well, in the network device subsection of menuconfig for the 2.2.2 kernel 
is an item called "Appletalk-IP driver support" with options for 
encapsulating or decpsulating IP. 

>worked perfectly fine for me here. btw, if you have a 100BaseT
>network, i would love some performance tests (using something like
>helios lantest) with -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX enabled.

Naah, this is my at-home network.  10bt only.