Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk errors / development

From: Jon Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:05:03 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

I just sent the following mail to [email-masked], then found this
list and decided that I would reach a wider audience by posting here.

Here goes:

Hi,

Please don't take this the wrong way!!

Is netatalk still supported?  There don't seem to be any recent
changes to the site.  Although my C knowledge is limited I'd be
willing to help in any way I can.  I'm working in an office with a
dozen macs being served by a Linux SMP server, and I've recently been
getting a few problems with the machine locking up.

Although I can't definately point the finger at netatalk, because
nothing specifically gets logged, the only change in the environment
recently is that all the users are now using the linux box, whereas
before most of them were using a Sun server.

The sort of messages I do get are:

Oct 28 14:26:13 home atalkd[756]: zip gnireply from 13.142 (eth0 b2)
Oct 28 14:26:13 home atalkd[756]: zip ignoring gnireply

Oct 28 13:41:09 home afpd[979]: dsi_stream_read(-1): Connection reset by peer
Oct 28 13:41:09 home afpd[979]: dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe

Oct 28 13:26:36 home atalkd[756]: zip skip reply 13-13 from 13.142 (no query)
Oct 28 13:26:36 home atalkd[756]: zip skip reply 17-17 from 13.142 (no query)

Oct 28 12:28:51 home afpd[7662]: main: asp_getrequest: -2
Oct 28 12:28:53 home afpd[7662]: main: asp_getrequest: -2

Oct 28 11:37:10 home afpd[7755]: afp_alarm: child timed out
Oct 28 11:37:10 home afpd[850]: server_child[1] 7755 exited 1

Oct 27 10:21:55 home afpd[26432]: dsi_stream_read(0): Connection reset by peer
Oct 27 10:22:34 home last message repeated 6685 times
Oct 27 10:23:37 home last message repeated 14430 times
Oct 27 10:23:38 home lpd[488]: fiery: lost connection
Oct 27 10:23:38 home afpd[26432]: dsi_stream_read(0): Connection reset by peer
Oct 27 10:24:33 home last message repeated 12335 times
Oct 27 10:24:41 home last message repeated 2959 times
Oct 27 10:24:41 home afpd[26432]: dsi_stream_read(0): File too large
Oct 27 10:24:41 home afpd[26432]: dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe
Oct 27 10:24:41 home afpd[26432]: dsi_wrtreply: Broken pipe
Oct 27 10:24:41 home afpd[26432]: dsi_stream_write: Broken pipe
Oct 27 10:24:41 home afpd[26432]: 47593.75KB read, 126746.65KB written
Oct 27 10:25:00 home afpd[13280]: server_child[1] 26432 exited 1

(just randomly pasted from /var/log/messages)

I'm able to test out patches for anyone that wants that service...

Thanks,

Jon.

---

From: Max de Mendizábal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:06:48 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,
We had the same problem on a i686 with RedHat 6.0,
samba 2.0 and netatalk. We solved the problem
downgrading to RedHat 5.2 and samba 2.1. 
I really do not know what was the trouble, but
that worked for us.

Yours
Max

---

From: Daniel Forsyth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 03:59:28 +0000

> I really do not know what was the trouble, but

You can always try segmenting the network.  One nic for the Macs, other for PC's.
Works well.

--
Dan