Subject: [netatalk-admins] Mac Manager for Linux

From: Jared Benedict <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 23:01:31 -0500

I am planning to install netatalk to serve a small college.  Up until now,
I've just experimented with a single mac client.  So take it easy on me. :)

I've used Mac OS X Server a little bit and as some of you may know it's got
the pretty cool Mac Manager feature which allows any mac client running Mac
OS 8.0+ to authenticate to a central database and automatically have a
personal folder mounted, personal settings, etc.  With Mac OS 9 you can
have the multiple users feature use a Mac Manager database (very nice).
AND NOW... Apple has released Mac Manager for AppleShare IP 6.3.

And for the windoze world, you can make SAMBA act as a authentication
server and do more than simple filesharing.

So, if I have been clear so far, you already know my question.

Has anyone thought about making a Mac Manager clone that runs on UNIX?
Perhaps using Netatalk?

This just seems like a big deal and surely I can't be the only one
interested in the possiblity of using a cheap linux box authenticating
Windoze and Mac OS computers.

Any thoughts on if this is possible etc?

Thanks,
_jared

---

From: Malcolm McLeary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 15:24:12 +1100

Jared,

> Any thoughts on if this is possible etc?

Everything is possible.

I'd really like someone to release such a beast.  It probably goes against
the grain, but if Apple have it for OSX and they support Open Source (i.e.
Darwin) is the code actually available for porting rather than just trying
to reverse engineer it?

BTW ... this is out of my league.

Cheers,  Malcolm

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

                       Information Alchemy Pty Ltd
                             ACN 089 239 305
                           Canberra, Australia

Malcolm McLeary                                  Mobile:   0412 636 086
Managing Director                                Email:  [email-masked]

     This message was sent using Outlook Express 5.0 for Macintosh.

---

From: Harry Zink/Netatalk List <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 21:10:34 -0800

on 12/7/1999 8:24 PM, Malcolm McLeary at [email-masked] wrote:

> but if Apple have it for OSX and they support Open Source (i.e.

If Mac Manager is part of the Darwin Code base, certainly - the $64,000
queston: is it?

Harry