Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk problems with GID bit permissions

From: "Tim O'Shea [ tmo ]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 15:30:18 -0500 (EST)

We run a RedHat 5.2 box here with netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.3

Trying to mount a /tmp volume as scratch space on the macs in the lab.
Problem is, netatalk creates directories with gid bit set.  We would like
to utilize the sticky bit to keep users from stepping on each others'
files.  Netatalks insistence on setting GID means any user can muck with
any other user's directories.

Is this a bug?

Enabling debugging reveals

Mar 10 14:56:07 lsb afpd[19005]: setdirowner: chown -1/0
.AppleDouble/.Parent: Operation not permitted

Not entirely sure if this is related to the problem.

This error message comes out of unix.c (part of afpd) which sets all
directory perms.

Please help!

Tim O'Shea [tmo]

Director of Research Technology
The Living SchoolBook Project
Syracuse University				315.443.5273	phone
Syracuse, NY					315.443.2258	fax