Subject: [netatalk-admins] papd printing problems

From: Markus Enders <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 19:13:18 +0200

Hi,

I have netatalk 1.4b2 asun 2.1.3 running on a SuSE linux box (kernel
2.2.6). I did compile netatalk by myself; do not used a rpm.
For the printing system I use the LPRng. Therefor my papd.conf contains
pr=| lpr -Pprintername, because pr=printername doesn`t work.

Useally this method works quite good. But from time to time I get no
result, cause papd get in some trouble. It reporst the following to syslog:

Jun 13 18:57:44 masklin papd[276]: child 298 for "Laserjet4P" from 65481.18
Jun 13 18:57:48 masklin papd[298]: child 299 exited with 127
Jun 13 18:57:48 masklin papd[298]: select: Interrupted system call
Jun 13 18:57:48 masklin papd[276]: child 298 killed with 13

Most of the times, it will help, killing the papd and start it again.
Sometimes even starting the whole computer (reboot) or just starting the
whole appletalk-things (incl papd) won`t help.
Sometimes I need to restart papd 3 or 4 times, till it works. When coming
up, papd reports the same things as usual.
Where is the problem? I did not have this kind of problem, before upgrading
the System to the new SuSE with the new kernel 2.2.x...
Any solutions?

Ciao & TIA
ENTE

---

From: Markus Enders <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:34:30 +0200

>On Sun, Jun 13, 1999 at 07:13:18PM +0200, Markus Enders wrote:
>	Why don't you just use MacOS's LPR-based printing support?

Well, I`d like to print via AppleTalk. One reason is, the AppleLaserWriter
Faxsoftware is just available in drivers >8.2.3 which doesn`t support LPR.

On the other hand I`d like to know, why it did work with the old SuSE
distribution and the old kernel, but not with the new one...
Can anybody explain, what thoses messages and return codes mean?

Ciao
ENTE