Subject: [netatalk-admins] a cold wind bloweth

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:49:39 -0700 (PDT)

hi all,

i would like to feature freeze my latest snapshot and make sure that
it's as bug-free(tm) as possible. so, here's what i would like:
     1) reports on things that used to work that no longer do.

     2) reports on things that cause crashes. i need to know how to
        duplicate this.

     3) notes on whether or not it works properly on *bsd, sunos, and
        ultrix. if it doesn't, i need info on how to get it to work
	(most likely in the area of the shared library support). 

     4) please make sure to edit the global Makefile to suit your
        needs. it suits mine, but then i tend to turn on lots of
        stuff. just because it doesn't compile doesn't mean that it's
        a problem. 

     5) i've purposely broken the did database stuff for now so that i
        can add in all the bits needed for almost full AFP
	compliance. so, don't use it now. it will get fixed after this
	upcoming release.

what's new in this snapshot?
     1) global afppasswd file for randnum authentication. if you
        specify -passwdfile ${RESDIR}/etc/afppasswd, it will use that
	instead. if there's an afppasswd.key file, it will use the
	hex-translated password stored in that file to des
	encrypt/decrypt the user passwords.  needless to say, only
	root should be able to do all of this. there's an afppasswd
	utility as well. if you're not root, however, it will only
	modify ${RESDIR}/etc/afppasswd. 

        beyond that, afppasswd also uses cracklib if requested. i
        forgot to add in the appropriate call to the password changing
        part of uam_randnum.so though. that'll appear in the next
        version. 

     2) rwlist/rolist in AppleVolumes.*. these are like allow/deny
        except they modify the readonly volume flag. note: if you have
        a rwlist, the user must be in that to get rw behaviour. also,
        this doesn't override file permissions. 

     3) some miscellaneous bug fixes. there's also a workaround for
        apple's broken macbinary II files. 
  
     4) oh yeah, you might want to try out the DHX uam. it's a
        public-key exchange based authentication method. you can get
        the plug-in from the 3.8.3 appleshare client image. note: if
        you get an error, you'll get dropped into macsbug. to get
        things to work, you'll need the cryptolib from ssleay. in
        addition, there's currently a bug in the 3.8.3 uam that i work
        around. i'll be getting rid of the workaround as soon as 3.8.4
        appears. 

note: because i've switched to plug-in uams, the old method of
specifying them no longer works. please read config/afpd.conf for
further info.

location:
<ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/testing/pre-asun2.1.4-17.tar.gz> 

-a

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 11:47:35 -0400

> From:    a sun <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> stuff. just because it doesn't compile doesn't mean that it's

I'd like to provide you with a global Makefile that works "out of the
box" on all supported platforms.

I'd also like *all* of the code to be ansi C, not just your additions.
I think it's desirable to get to a point where, on a reasonable system,
-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes produce no warnings.

:wes

---

From: Les Barstow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 14:52:07 +0000

> it's as bug-free(tm) as possible. so, here's what i would like:

Not sure if there's time for this, but:

PC MacLAN clients insist on uppercase for both printers and fileshares.
The printer problem is not extreme - only define uppercase printers.
The fileshare problem is partially solved with casefold.

However, a case-insensitive search would be nicer; two more options
for casefold - clientupper and clientlower - which would take files
from clients as given, but return all names to clients as upper or
lower case, respectively, would help with UNIX/Mac/PC interaction.

PS - How does a Mac deal with PC MacLAN?  How does it serve mixed
     case and interact properly with this?  The Mac is case insensitive,
     so it shouldn't have problems with requests, but what does the Mac
     do that works with PC MacLAN that netatalk doesn't, say for folder
     directories?

     I apologize for not being too familiar with the underlying Mac
     file structure on this; I'm a UNIX admin, with ProDOS and GS/OS
     as an Apple background for the most part...

Sincerely,
Les Barstow

---

From: Stephan Bauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 22:21:05 +0200

Hello,

I want to setup a queue for a epson stylus color
printer on a linux box. The epson printer driver
talks directly to the network card in the printer.
How can i setup my papd to act like the network card?
I intend to patch papd if there's no solution.
Can anybody give me hints where I have to do that?

regards

Stephan

---

From: Albert Max Lai <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 19:40:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Monday, 24 May 1999, a sun wrote:

I'm using pre-asun2.1.4-21, and trying to get the DHX uam
working. Everything seems to work fine, except when I try to log in
using ghe DHX uam. What happens is that when I put in the
username/passwd on the Mac, and press OK, it just goes past the dialog
box with no errors, but no volume is mounted. Doing this in clear text
works fine. In my logs, I get "bad function 10". Does anyone know what
this means? (BTW, I'm running redhat-6.0, kernel 2.2.7, OpenSSL
0.9.3a with rsaref.) Logs follow. Thanks.

-Albert Lai

May 29 19:20:49 amlai2 atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
May 29 19:21:01 amlai2 atalk: afpd startup succeeded
May 29 19:21:07 amlai2 afpd[7891]: amlai2:AFPServer@* started on 3552.115:128 (1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
May 29 19:21:07 amlai2 afpd[7891]: ASIP started on 128.59.118.20:548(1) (1.4b2+asun2.1.4) 
May 29 19:21:07 amlai2 afpd[7891]: uam: uam_guest.so loaded
May 29 19:21:07 amlai2 afpd[7891]: uam: uam_clrtxt.so loaded
May 29 19:21:07 amlai2 afpd[7891]: uam: uam_dhx.so loaded
May 29 19:21:07 amlai2 afpd[7891]: uam: "DHCAST128" available
May 29 19:21:07 amlai2 afpd[7891]: uam: "Cleartxt Passwrd" available
May 29 19:21:07 amlai2 afpd[7891]: uam: "No User Authent" available
May 29 19:24:00 amlai2 afpd[7899]: ASIP session:548(1) from 128.59.118.22:2048(2)
May 29 19:24:00 amlai2 afpd[7891]: server_child[1] 7899 done
May 29 19:24:12 amlai2 afpd[7903]: ASIP session:548(1) from 128.59.118.22:2049(2)
May 29 19:24:12 amlai2 afpd[7903]: dhx login: amlai
May 29 19:24:12 amlai2 PAM_pwdb[7903]: (netatalk) session opened for user amlai by (uid=0)
May 29 19:24:12 amlai2 afpd[7903]: bad function 10
May 29 19:24:12 amlai2 afpd[7891]: server_child[1] 7903 done
May 29 19:24:12 amlai2 afpd[7903]: logout amlai
May 29 19:24:12 amlai2 afpd[7903]: 0.21KB read, 0.15KB written