Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and Samba?

From: Hauke Fath <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:29:50 +0200

Hi,

what experiences did you make with sharing directories over Netatalk _and_ 
Samba? I am about to set up a NetBSD file server and have to share at least 
part of the content to both Macintoshes and Wintel boxes.

Interesting issues are

   o  locking
   o  name mangling
   o  file/directory permissions
   o  dealing with the resource fork /.AppleDouble contents during file 
moves/renames/deletes

Comments appreciated,

	hauke

- --
Hauke Fath                              Saphir Software GmbH
                                         D-69115 Heidelberg
[email-masked]                          Ruf +49-6221-13866-35, Fax -21

---

From: Tony Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:28:13 +0200

>    o  dealing with the resource fork /.AppleDouble contents during file

This used to work just fine here at work but it has stopped working
because we have installed a G3 350 with MacOS 8.6

Now I am "losing" files - create a file on the Mac, save to shared
directory, file is invisible to Dreamweaver on Win NT Workstation...
Shared directory has .Appledouble etc

At home Mac files and Win files live in seperate folders and only .tif
scans move from one to the other. G3 400 with OS 8.6 there too.

It worked fine at work with iMac running MacOS 8.5 - no problems.

Cheers

Tony