Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: netatalk under os X? (fwd)

From: Ryan Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 17:23:22 -0500 (CDT)

A) Am I right in assuming that if all I need is AFP for sharing a UFS
filesystem, I don't need atalkd, just afpd?

B) I just tried compiling netatalk (Adrian's most recent snapshot) on OS X
to see what headers it was lacking (as Adrian indicated, quote below) and
got this:

netddp_open.c:18: header file 'at/appletalk.h' not found
netddp_open.c:19: header file 'at/ddp.h' not found
netddp_open.c:30: undefined type, found `at_inet_t'
make[3]: *** [netddp_open.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [netddp] Error 2
make[1]: *** [../../libatalk] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Can anyone (Adrian?) tell me how to get the headers I need?

Sorry if this was answered just recently -- there are no archives more
recent than December, and I only just subscribed.

Thanks.

-Ryan

PS, I will pass on what I learn to the macosx-admin mailing list.

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, John Ostrowick wrote:
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 10:15:09 -0700 (PDT)
> From: a sun <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk under os X?
> 
>    any news on this?
> 
> umm, it works in my latest development snapshot with the inclusion of
> some darwin headers and minus atalkd?
> 
> -a

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 15:26:45 -0700 (PDT)

yep. 

get the missing headers from the darwin source. i think you need the 
libcAT and kernel bits.

-a

---

From: Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 17:35:21 -0700

OK, I "got brave" and built (it built) and installed (it installed)
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3.  It's running...

But I had a file where I could change the name of the server to a string
other than the hostname, and configure more than 10 simultaneous users,
and... I have a sinking feeling that was atalkd.init (not anymore).

It used to read from /etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default, but it isn't... now.
Probably because the installation directories are a little bit different. I
can't seem to locate the right docs.

Before I reinstall the ancient version from the RPM file...

Can anyone help?

- Vicki
-----
 //=\   Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
 \=//    Journeyman Sourcerer: Scripts & Philtres
  //=\
  \=//     Scientific Programming <> Perl, Unix, Mac
   //=\     A little Web gardening on the weekends
   \=//
    //=\      Deltagen, Inc; 1031 Bing St, San Carlos, CA 94070

---

From: Jan Dockx <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:10:04 +0200

We've been using Excel Shared Workbooks from a lunix machines over samba
and netatalk for over a year happily. Last week we got a new server. We
installed a more recent version of linux, the most recent version of samba
and the most recent stable version of netatalk (netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3),
and moved the data disk to the other machine. After some minimal tuning,
everything's great.

But just now I noticed not everything is great. Whenever I'm trying to open
an Excel Shared Workbook, Excel hesitates, gives the message
"File is locked. In order to save changes to the file, you can either close
the file before making any changes and then re-open it, use Save As (File
menu) to save the file using another file name, or turn off Shared
Workbooks and then save the file."
and then opens the file in un-shared mode.
Windows users have no problems.

What happened? I don't think it is an Excel problem -- i can work with
shared workbooks on my local hard drive. Anybody?

Jan Dockx - assistent               ([email-masked])
K.U.Leuven, Department of Computer Science
Celestijnenlaan 200 A 03.28; 3001 Heverlee; Belgium
tel.: ++ 32/16/32 76 56                   fax.: ++ 32/16/32 79 96
<http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~jand/>
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
"I think I have figured out Microsoft's major plans for Win 2000.
 No longer will Microsoft's NT offer only a Blue Screen of Death.
 Microsoft will now offer the 'Screen of Death' in 5 colors."
                                                      David Puett

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:54:47 -0400

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 05:35:21PM -0700, Vicki Brown wrote:
} OK, I "got brave" and built (it built) and installed (it installed)
} netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3.  It's running...
} 
} But I had a file where I could change the name of the server to a string
} other than the hostname, and configure more than 10 simultaneous users,
} and... I have a sinking feeling that was atalkd.init (not anymore).
} 
} It used to read from /etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default, but it isn't... now.
} Probably because the installation directories are a little bit different. I
} can't seem to locate the right docs.

afpd.conf.  Look in the config directory for an example.  The comments in
the file are the only real documentation I know of.

} 
} Before I reinstall the ancient version from the RPM file...
} 
} Can anyone help?
} 
} - Vicki
} -----
}  //=\   Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
}  \=//    Journeyman Sourcerer: Scripts & Philtres
}   //=\
}   \=//     Scientific Programming <> Perl, Unix, Mac
}    //=\     A little Web gardening on the weekends
}    \=//
}     //=\      Deltagen, Inc; 1031 Bing St, San Carlos, CA 94070

-- 
Paul Schinder
[email-masked]

---

From: Erik Ohlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 09:21:00 -0700

The asun versions are usually setup to compile into /usr/local/atalk.
Most of the config files you want are in /usr/local/atalk/etc.

The PRM pakages usually install into /etc/atalk.

If you still have all you config files in /etc/atalk/, you can make
symbolic links to the files in your /usr/local/atalk dir.

ln -s /etc/atlak/afpd.conf /usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd.conf
ln -s /etc/atlak/AppleVolumes.default
/usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.default

-- 
<------------------------------------------------------------->
| Erik Ohlin   mailto:[email-masked]   (760)438-8933 |
| Pacific Color http://www.pacificcolor.com fax:(760)438-8414 |
|    1916 Palomar Oaks Way, Suite 100, Carlsbad, CA  92008    |
<------------------------------------------------------------->

---

From: Ryan Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 23:54:26 -0500

Sorry for the cross-post.  This thread showed up on both lists; I think 
this post is relevant to both lists; and I imagine the subscriber lists are 
relatively exclusive of one another.

I got netatalk to compile and work on osx.  Wish I had seen 
<src>/sys/osx/Makefile earlier.  With all of the posts to macosx and 
netatalk lists about compiling netatalk on mosx, I don't understand why no 
one referred to it earlier.  (?)

For the benefit of the list here are the first few lines from 
<src>/sys/osx/Makefile:
# stuff for os x server. This needs some include files from the darwin
# source to work properly. namely, it needs /usr/include/at,
# /usr/include/h, and
# /System/Library/Frameworks/LibcAT/Headers/at_proto.h. The first two are
# found in the kernel sources while the last one is found in LibcAT.

My interpretation:
# To compile on OS X Server, you need to acquire headers from darwin:
#   http://www.publicsource.apple.com/projects/darwin/projects.html
# Download and unpack kernel and LibcAT tarballs.
# From kernel, copy all netat/h headers (bsd/netat/h/*.h) to /usr/include/h
# From kernel, copy all netat/at headers (bsd/netat/at/*.h) to /usr/include/at
# From LibcAT, copy at_proto.h to /System/Library/Frameworks/LibcAT/Headers/

Disable Apple's AppleFileServer and related webadmin processes 
(/etc/startup/1600...), copy over default .conf and AppleVolume files to 
ETCDIR and enter afpovertcp service into netinfo:

  [irving:~] rthomas% niutil -read . /services/afpovertcp
  name: afpovertcp
  port: 548
  protocol: tcp,udp

Then, to test afpd, execute /<your install path>/afpd -d.

Mine was choking on the test for DHX auth -- I had to modify the 
AppleVolumes.default file to remove DHX from default list of uams.

Voila, access your home dir from your Mac (via AFP/IP).

There's no chooser listing, and it's passing passwords in the clear -- but 
it's compiled and working.  Now on to DHX!

Other things I learned that might help others, especially those like me who 
are new to unix and netatalk:
* kill -HUP afpd hoses afpd; but it seems AppleVolumes.* can be changed 
without killing afpd.
* issuing "tail /var/log/system.log" a lot causes system to crash regularly 
(syslogd bug?) -- yes, on macos-x-server 1.0.2.  Minimize the need for this 
by using -d switch for initial testing.
* I don't know why this is, but volumes configured in AppleVolumes.default 
(e.g., "/home/httpdocs Web") seem to cause afpd to break if you test 
immediately after modifying the AppleVolumes.default file, giving a 
misleading error message (don't remember what exactly) when you log 
in.  But if you give it a minute, a correctly config'ed volume should show up.

-Ryan

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 17:54:22 +1000

Hrm.... I've begun the long and arduous march to upgrade my primary libc to 
glibc2.1.1

Well, I was really really looking forward to trying out sendfile() with 
netatalk.... and lo!  I ran into numerous compile problems....

First one, was rquota.h not being available [there's an rquota.x, but no 
.h]... well, so I symlinked the .h from an older include directory.... and 
now I get linker issues:

nfsquota.o(.text+0x16b): undefined reference to `xdr_getquota_rslt'
nfsquota.o(.text+0x175): undefined reference to `xdr_getquota_args'

Doing an "nm" shows nothing like those symbols in the glibc2.1 libs.  So what 
gives?  The code in nfsquota.c has no #ifdefs for the different libc's, so I 
am basically stuck.  

Adrian - what's needed to build the 2.1.3 (release) under glibc2.1?

=Rob=

---

From: Ryan Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:46:22 -0500

I should clarify -- I have compiled netatalk, but only tested afpd, 
since that is all I *need*.  Adrian said earlier that atalkd does not 
work -- so I haven't bothered to try.  (Likewise, I don't need papd, 
so I haven't tried it.)  I do know that my server does not show up in 
the chooser...but is available when specifying the IP address.

-Ryan

At 11:54 PM -0500 8/17/99, Ryan Thomas wrote:
[...]
><src>/sys/osx/Makefile earlier.
[...]

===========-------------------------------------------------------
Ryan Thomas, CCSO Consultant
Network & Systems Administrator for the College of Education, UIUC
[email-masked], 217/244-0429, http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/rthomas