Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] [Q} log in as "root" and slow appletalk transfer

From: "ian reinhart geiser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 06:05:16 -0600

----------
>From: Kim Chua <[email-masked]>
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: [netatalk-admins] [Q} log in as "root" and slow appletalk transfer
>Date: Thu, Jan 14, 1999, 3:12 PM
>

> I have the following Problem:
> I do most of my work on a mac which is connected via ethernet ONLY to
> another pmac running LinuxPPC on which I have just set up an AppleShare
> server. I am able to connect over TCP/IP via chooser but unable to log in
> as root, which means I have very limited privileges. Is there anyway I
> can have full write/read privileges? (I have set myself to belong to the
> "root" group). Or even log in as "root", since I have no security issues
> to solve?
>

    I created an account that had full read write access to all of my
    Netatalk files.

> Also transferring file from the Mac to the LinuxPPC over Netatalk is very
> very very slow, is this very normal.
>
    I am not sure who's fault this is but i am going to smack them when
    i find out.   I have to FORCE the drives to mount via Appleshare so
    that i can read them this century.  When i did a Tcpdump on the line
    i found that IP mounted drives would talk IP for about 10 sec and then
    stop.  Jabber some Appletalk and then hang for about a min or two.  Then
    it would repeat....

    i have no clue how to fix it so i can only hope someone who knows the
    code can help..

    -ian reinhart geiser

---

From: Mark Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:00:39 -0600

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, ian reinhart geiser wrote:

>     I have to FORCE the drives to mount via Appleshare so
>     that i can read them this century. 

If IP is that much of a problem, then you could always either go back to
base 1.4b2 or use the asun version with a -notcp option in the afpd.conf
file (look at the base distro).

--Mark

---

From: Sak Wathanasin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 18:28:51 +0000

In reply to ian reinhart geiser's message of the 14/01/99 at 06:05 -0600,

>     that i can read them this century.  When i did a Tcpdump on the line

On the face of it, it must be something to do with Linux PPC since those of
with linux/x86 or Solaris/Sparc aren't seeing this kind of behaviour. Why don't
you go back to an AppleTalk-only version?

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited
178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

Internet: [email-masked]
Phone: (+44) 1203 419996                    Fax: (+44) 1203 690690

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:42:48 -0800 (PST)

>     that i can read them this century.  When i did a Tcpdump on the line

   On the face of it, it must be something to do with Linux PPC since
   those of with linux/x86 or Solaris/Sparc aren't seeing this kind of
   behaviour. Why don't you go back to an AppleTalk-only version?

umm, i actually doubt that as i don't have any problem using linuxppc
with netatalk. i guess i would ask what versions of everything are
being used. using the latest and greatest is always a good idea. i,
for example, am using os 8.5.1 on the macos side and 2.1.127 on the
linuxppc side. 

-a