Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] a cold wind bloweth

From: "Harry Zink/Netatalk List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 16:19:16 -0700

> And, ah, "show of hands"?  Good thing the whole world isn't run by
> committee.

...but it's a nice way of finding out if there is an issue that *could* be
addressed.

Harry

---

From: "Paul R. Potts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 14:20:51 -0400

They are talking about netatalk on macintouch in the context of setting up
PCs as servers for mac networks

I have been using it but have not really seen these troubles... would anyone
like to address them?  Maybe a response could be added to the discussion on
macintouch?

Are these issues valid, or do they pertain to older versions, or are they
known bugs, or what?

Thanks for any info,

Paul

Quote from netatalk discussion board follows:

The free program for AppleTalk with LINUX (NETATALK) is 6 years old, and
doesn't support everything it should. The biggest problems we've found are:
1) aliases don't work to a LINUX share. This means having to go through the
network browser, or chooser every time you want to get to a folder. It's a
big frustration thing. 2) printing images (esp. from Photoshop) sometimes
hangs the printer queue and sometimes just drops that printing job. 3) files
with illegal names (ie. >32 character or having illegal characters) just
don't show up. This is a problem because when you copy whole folders you can
miss files without even know it. 4) We've had lots of problems where files
put on the LINUX shares by PCs are "in use" when Mac users try to get them,
which makes us resort to Zip drives to get files across the room.

--
"ain't you ever seen a disembodied soul before? ain't you ever seen a soul
   seeking incarnation?" - Robyn Hitchcock
Paul R. Potts - Technical Group Leader - Health Media Research Lab
Comprehensive Cancer Center - University of Michigan Medical Center
[email-masked] - 734.936.0096

---

From: "Harry Zink/Netatalk List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 00:14:53 -0700

> I think both of you look at this in a very limited way.  I think there
> should be both. (...) There should also be an rpm for those (...) that (...)
> want to maintain some kind of sanity with packages.  I'm the latter at work.

Ditto!

It can't be an impossible task to provide a tgz as well as an RPM. RPM is a
very popular format, and even systems that are NOT RedHat are starting to
support the RPM format.

Harry