Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk Authentication via LDAP

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:03:36 -0600 (CST)

We are planning to run our Sun machine's user authentications with LDAP
instead of the standard passwd and NIS. Does anyone know if Netatalk's
authentication process will follow the OS for authentication via LDAP?

+------------------------------------------------------------------+
 Russell E Glaue, Technologies Engineer / IT Manager  [email-masked]
 Center for the Application of Information Technologies
 101 Horrabin Hall, 1 University Circle, Macomb, Illinois 61455
 http://www.cait.org  http://cait.wiu.edu

---

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:18:14 -0600 (CST)

Does anyone know if Netatalk will work on Linux with LDAP authentication?

---

From: Michael Harlow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:44:36 +1100

>authentication process will follow the OS for authentication via LDAP?

I have Netatalk running under Solaris 7 64-bit, with PAM support. If your 
LDAP access is thru PAM's then you should be fine. I actually authenticate 
back thru pam_smb to my NT server.

Mike

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael J Harlow                        email : [email-masked]
Computer Systems Officer, School of Geography and Environmental Studies,
University of Tasmania, GPO Box 252-78, Hobart Tasmania 7001, Australia.
Phone : (03) 6226 2212 or 0419 585 308         fax  : (03) 6226 2989
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: John Hulley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 10:10:46 +0000

> authentication process will follow the OS for authentication via LDAP?

I use the NSS LDAP plugin from PADL software (www.padl.com) with Solaris
7 
quite sucessfully to replace NIS for user and group maps and have used
it 
with netatalk.  The documentation for the ldap schema they use is a
little 
sparse but enough to work out what's going on.  Looks like it should
work
with Linux too.

  -- john.