Subject: [netatalk-admins] Broken files

From: Andreas Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 22:51:08 +0200

I am running netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 on a SuSE 6.0 Linux System
running the 2.2.3 kernel.

Everything works fine. My G3 MACs can write to the server and they can
read from it ...

All applications (f.e. Quark Express) running on the MACs can open
files, delete and change. 

Only one application is running into probs with the server, Macromedia
Freehand.
Freehand can open existing fh8 files (native Freehand files) but when
these are (re)written to the server they get broken. These files can be
written to the local disk and be opened without any probs. The local
files can be copied to the server by Finder and dont get broken. Tey can
be opened then by Freehand, but get broken, when storede to the server
again.

Is this a known problem, does any solution exist for this problem?

Many thanks in advance for help.

	andreas

---

From: "Ephraim Franzzup" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 16:16:03 PDT

>these are (re)written to the server they get broken.

I think this is a known issue. FreeHand is creating the files as type 'TEXT' 
and then writing the data, only later does it set the final file type.

Therefore, if you have linefeed translation enabled for text files, it will 
break your FreeHand saves. When you save to a local disk and then copy in 
the Finder, the file type has already been set to the native FreeHand type, 
so CRLF translation is not triggered.

If you just globally disable linefeed translation, you should be fine. To do 
this at compile time, AFAIK the procedure is to comment out the -DCRLF flag 
from the Makefile for afpd.

Good luck!
Chris Ferebee
cf at ferebee dot net

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com