Subject: [netatalk-admins] bind: Cannot assign requested address

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 17:49:52 -0400

Hi Admins,

I've run into an appletalk situation where something on the network is
preventing atalkd from starting on a RH6.0 server. I know it's on the
network, because it starts ok if I plug the server and one Mac into a hub
all alone.

When starting the atalk from the command line, i get 

bind: Cannot assign requested address

/var/log/messages says:

Aug  3 17:20:03 DC-Archive atalkd[2761]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.0)
Aug  3 17:20:04 DC-Archive atalkd[2761]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Aug  3 17:20:04 DC-Archive atalkd[2761]: zip gnireply from 281.170 (eth0 12)
Aug  3 17:20:05 DC-Archive kernel: Too many routes/iface.
Aug  3 17:20:05 DC-Archive atalkd[2761]: setifaddr: eth0: Invalid argument
Aug  3 17:20:05 DC-Archive atalkd: AppleTalk not up! Child exited with 1.
Aug  3 17:20:05 DC-Archive atalk: atalkd startup failed

The atalk.conf file is currently configured with the following line (but
I've been through dozens of configurations with similar results):

eth0 -phase 2 -net 10-20 -addr 10.5 -zone "the road"

The ifconfig of the eth0 looks like this:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:04:77:85:37
          inet addr:10.1.45.11  Bcast:10.1.45.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC ALLMULTI MULTICAST  MTU:1500
Metric:1
          RX packets:70931 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:6950 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:168

The netcard is a 3c905(a or b) using the 3c59x driver.

Any clues anybody can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Bill Mahlock

---

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:05:43 -0500 (CDT)

I get the same thing on our solaris 2.5.1 system when the network
information is not set up properly. ie. not the correct router for the IP
number of the machine or router information could not be set up. Also
happens when the network information cannot be bound to the network card
but it seem you have that okay.

also did you try not having anything in your atalkd.conf. Linux should be
able to identify the local interfaces on its own without atalkd.conf .

+--------------------------------------------------------------+
 Russell E Glaue, Technologies Engineer   [email-masked]
 Center for the Application of Information Technologies
 101 Horrabin Hall, 1 University Circle, Macomb, Illinois 61455
 http://www.cait.org  http://cait.wiu.edu

---

From: Liam Helmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 16:37:12 -0700 (PDT)

I'm getting the same problem on another RH6.0 installation. Here's some
more info (this is without an atalkd.conf file).

atalkd[4317]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
atalkd[4317]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
atalkd[4317]: zip gnireply from 38893.150 (eth0 12) <- this is my seeding
						       router
atalkd[4317]: setifaddr: eth0: Invalid argument
atalkd: difaddr(0.0): No such device
kernel: Too many routes/iface

Anybody with any clues?

---

From: Liam Helmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 16:43:36 -0700 (PDT)

I'm also using a 3COM 905 Card... I found that kind of an interesting
parallel.

Afpd works fine...

Cheers,
Liam

PS, has anyone had any luck getting a shared Act 2.8 file to work on a
netatalk server? Is there anyting I should know? The files are fine -> I
can copy them from the server to another Apple server and they work, but
there's an "Error Openning Database" when I try them on the linux server.
I've checked permissions, everything, but the lack of useful message is
making it difficult to figure out.

Cheers,
Liam

---

From: [email-masked] (Markus Boie)
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 15:12:07 +0200

Hello,

we had the same problem (too many routes/if). Konstantin Reznitsky <[email-masked]> came up with what turned out to be the solution:

"The problem may really be that you have a too wide network range."

On our AppleTalk router (Helios on a Sun) we had defined a network range of 1-60000. Setting this to 1-200 was all I needed to do to make atalkd on the Linux box start.

Markus