Subject: [netatalk-admins] partition size limit?

From: Martin Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:34:57 -0400

I just installed a couple of new drives in a client's netatalk server.  I
admit freely that I know very little about netatalk (but have looked through
a pile of docs).  They are running v 1.3.3 on redhat 4.1

My problem/concern is the following:

Once I had fixed and restarted their server their partitions all indicate
1.8 gig available, but there is much more disk space there.  They have 5
mountable appleshare volumes:

-3 on one linux partition -- ~2 gig available  (4 gig partition)
-1 on another		  -- ~5 gig available   (9.5 gig partition)
-1 on the last linux part -- ~4 gig available   (9.5 gig partition)

On the mac clients the OS shows 1.8 gig available for all these partitions!
Is there some problem with large volues and 1.3.3? (or netatalk in general?)

thanks greatly
mh

-- 
Martin Hicks ||    [email-masked]    || Achilles Internet Tech Support
Use PGP      || DSS PGP Key: 0x0E1EA147 || 613-688-0707 (voice) 
    "One World, one web, one program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
    "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler

---

From: Jim Zajkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 11:34:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Martin Hicks wrote:

} On the mac clients the OS shows 1.8 gig available for all these partitions!
} Is there some problem with large volues and 1.3.3? (or netatalk in general?)

It's a Mac issue.  WinNT will also report a smaller "available" size to
help integer overruns on the Mac.  If you want, try copying a couple 1GB
files to the disks and you'll see the size doesn't go down.

Jim

---

From: Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:43:30 -0600 (MDT)

> files to the disks and you'll see the size doesn't go down.

I don't think so...

Netatalk 2.1.4-something.. MacOS 8.0

I have a 3 Gig share on a Solaris box with 2.8 gig available. The Mac
correctly shows the amount of free disk space as 2.8Gig

Tim

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:54:42 -0500 (CDT)

> mountable appleshare volumes:

I have one question (please don't take it as a snite remark)?  Do you plan
to create files larger than 1.8GB?

If not, why do you care?  I've run into similar problems with NFS and some
somewhat ignorant users.  After aloting them a 10GB NFS filesystem they
mounted it on a machine with a 32-bit OS and then complained that they
only had 2GB of space.  Obviously the tool they used expected a filesystem
size that could be described by 32bits or at most 4GB.  10 mod 4 is 2.

Now if you have a stupid OS which insists on computing free space from
totalspace minus space used you might run into some problems.

Tom

---

From: Rob Cascella <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:55:47 -0400 (EDT)

< -3 on one linux partition -- ~2 gig available  (4 gig partition)
< -1 on another		  -- ~5 gig available   (9.5 gig partition)
< -1 on the last linux part -- ~4 gig available   (9.5 gig partition)
< 
< On the mac clients the OS shows 1.8 gig available for all these partitions!
< Is there some problem with large volues and 1.3.3? (or netatalk in general?)

What version of MacOS are they running?  I've seen this happen with older
versions of the OS.  One SA used to partition all the drives he would buy
into 2GB chunks because older versions of the OS don't handle them
properly.  *shrug*  Sounds like that might be part of it.

-- 
Rob Cascella, Manager of IT Services
Della Femina/Jeary and Partners
[email-masked]