Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk problems (broken connection, no TCP/IP, etc.)

From: Rod <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 20:39:09 -0600

Hello, I am running RedHat Linux 5.0 libc5 (no RAM for any newer version),
and I am trying to get netatalk to work. I have spent countless hours
trying to figure out whats wrong, including checking all the newsgroups
about linux and netatalk, the netatalk mailing lists, faqs, HOWTO's, and
all the search engines I could come up with. I've found no answer. The
problem is, I got and installed the newest rpm for libc5 which is:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/libc5/i386/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0-5.i386.rpm

When I configure netatalk and run it.. all goes well.. and it runs.. and
when I open my Mac's chooser, I can see my Linux netatalk server... BUT the
problem comes when I double click it.. it asks me for a login and password,
and as soon as I type these and when I click OK, the mac just stalls.. it
hangs for about 45 seconds and after that a dialog box comes up saying "the
connection to this server has been unexpectedly broken". I also tried
connecting through TCP/IP.. and it DID give me a login prompt.. but the
same thing happened.. "the connection to this server has been unexpectedly
broken" as soon as I entered my login and password (and I tried both with
shadow passwords enabled on my system and then disabling them, and it still
didn't work, so I don't think it's that.) One thing tho, after connecting
through TCP/IP and getting a login prompt, then getting the "unexpectedly
broken" error, if I try to reconnect via TCP/IP I don't get a login prompt
anymore.. it just searches for the server and doesnt find it giving a "host
not responding" kind of error.
Another thing worth noting is that if I try to connect as guest it does
work.. but then again like I said I tried using an account with both shadow
passwords enabled and shadow passwords disabled and it gave me the same
errors either way.. so I don't think it's that well known shadow passwords
problem.. unless I'm doing something wrong.

Now, I was reading through the netatalk mailing lists of 1998, and I came
about this posting:

http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/1998/0947.html

Which basically states:

-----
"As many of you knew, in the new release of RedHat 5.0 the new versions of
GNU's libc were introduced. This change has been difficult for many
applications, one of them is netatalk."

"If anybody wants to see my "patchwork" for RH 5.0, it can be found in
ftp://ftp.acer.com.mx/pub/redhat/localcontrib/netatalk-1.4b2-lorax4.src.rpm
or, if you want, in the same directory are the binaries in rpm format."
-----

I downloaded this "lorax" version, a new one in fact, "lorax5", and
installed it.. and guess what.. it worked! But it has a big problem.. I can
only access my linux computer through the LAN.. I can't access it through
TCP/IP.. I don't even get a login/passwd prompt, it just says: "No response
from the server." Though I can finally mount my HD's in my LAN computers.
But what I need is TCP/IP access! I think this lorax version might either
be missing a patch or some config files (or the asun part of the package)..
I am not sure what it might be.

Ok now, I found some interesting things on the RedHat 5.0 netatalk tips
page from the OLD Netatalk HOWTO:

http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/old/tips.html

The main things I found are these:

>"I had problems connecting to a Redhat Linux 5.1 box using Netatalk
>1.4b2-asun2.1.0-5.i386.rpm. Every time I went to connect, I would get a
>message
>that the server dropped the connection after entering the password. I fixed
>this by installing netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-phh4.i386.rpm that I found in
>the hurricane/group/networking directory."

Of course, that directory in RedHat's FTP doesnt exist anymore.

and

>"Tony Nugent comments on the Intel Netatalk RPM for Redhat 5.0:
>There's a big problem with the netatalk i386.rpm from the original release
>- it
>doesn't work.There's an updated/patched rpm in the contribution/update
>directory at the RedHat ftp site that seems to work just fine:
>ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/hurricane/i386/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-oa1
>.i386.rpm"

That directory in RedHat's ftp doesnt exist anymore either.

As you may see, these sound like exactly the problem I am having, but I
searched through DOZENS of search engines, rpm repositories, and FTP sites,
and I COULDNT FIND THOSE VERSIONS ANYWHERE!!

So here are my 3 questions for this mailing, in order of importance:

1.- Does anyone know how to fix netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0-5.i386.rpm so it
will work on RedHat 5.0 libc5?

2.- Does anyone know where to find either:
	a) netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-oa1.i386.rpm?
	b) netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-phh4.i386.rpm?

3.- Does anyone know how to fix the netatalk-1.4b2-lorax5.i386.rpm version
so it allows TCP/IP access?

Thanx a lot for all your help! I will appreciate it tremendously after days
and nights of working on this and not sleeping hehe.
   Your friend,
       -Rodrigo Lopez