Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk w/ encrypted passwords

From: Prentice Bisbal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:22:36 -0400

After a week of struggling, I finally got netatalk to compile w/ support for
PAM. TCP Wrappers and DES encryption on a 64-bit Solaris 7 machine. BUt, now I
can't get the 2-way encrypted passwords to work. I followed the instructions
inthe Faq-O-Matic and created a ~/.passwd file in my account. I am the owner,
and the file is readable/writable only by me. When I try to connect from a Mac,
it says a I have the wrong password. 

Contents of my afpd.conf file:

"grumpy" -nocleartext -randnum -rand2num

my ~/.password file:

-rw-------   1 pbisbal  staff          9 Oct  5 16:24 /u/pbisbal/.passwd

The password is 8 alphanumeric characters. 

I am using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3, running on 64-bit Solaris 7. 

Is there anything I'm missing? 
-- 
Prentice Bisbal
[email-masked]
Princeton Plasma Physics Lab
http://www.pppl.gov

---

From: Georg Schwarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 01:02:15 +0200 (MEST)

> Is there anything I'm missing? 

anything suspicious in syslog? Does your home directory happen to be NFS
mounted? What exactly happens when you try to log on?
-- 
Georg Schwarz                             [email-masked]
Institut für Theoretische Physik    Tel. +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universität Berlin          http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
Sekr. PN 7-1, Hardenbergstr. 36, D-10623 Berlin            IRC: kuroi

---

From: Prentice Bisbal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 10:28:02 -0400

> mounted? What exactly happens when you try to log on?

Below are the messages from /var/adm/messages, for my final attempt to get it
working yesterday. When I try to log in, it tells me that I entered the
incorrect password, whether I enter my login password (i.e., what's in
/etc/shadow) or my password in ~/.passwd. I have changed ownership from my
userid to root on the ~/.passwd file, but nothing changed. It's now owned by
pbisbal again.  Nothing is being imported or exported via NFS.  Ultimately, I
need encrypted password support. 

Thanks in advance. 

Oct  6 18:31:00 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[409]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
Oct  6 18:31:09 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[410]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
Oct  6 18:31:10 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[409]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection tim
ed out
Oct  6 18:31:18 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[411]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
Oct  6 18:31:19 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[410]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection tim
ed out
Oct  6 18:31:28 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[411]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection tim
ed out
Oct  6 18:33:06 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[425]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
Oct  6 18:33:14 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[426]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
Oct  6 18:33:16 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[425]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection tim
ed out
Oct  6 18:33:24 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[426]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection tim
ed out
Oct  6 18:33:26 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[427]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
Oct  6 18:36:55 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[461]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
Oct  6 18:37:02 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[462]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
Oct  6 18:37:05 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[461]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection tim
ed out
Oct  6 18:37:12 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[462]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection tim
ed out
Oct  6 18:37:25 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[463]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
Oct  6 18:37:35 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[463]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection tim
ed out
Oct  6 18:37:36 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[464]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
Oct  6 18:37:46 grumpy.pppl.gov afpd[464]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection tim
ed out