Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] tape backup to a mac

From: Bob Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 12:12:21 -0700 (PDT)

Actually what would be way cool is if someone developed a backup
utility for the Mac that used the Unix rmt(1M) (remote magnetic tape)
facility. rmt is incredibly simple to use and it would make network
backups of Macs and PCs a breeze.

> 
> Hello, I was wondering if there is a way to do tape backups from my
> linux box to a tape drive connected to a mac.  The mac is connected to
> the internet and on an apple talk network.  The tape drive is an APS
> hyperdat 2 scsi.  The client software for backups on that mac is
> retrospect 3.0.  I was thinking there might be something like "pap"
> for doing tape backups.  That would be cool.
> 
> Danny Rice
> 

---
Bob

---

From: Bruce Feist <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 22:05:51 -0400

I'm with Danny on this one -- Retrospect on the Mac is an incredibly good
program; it has built-in scheduling and tracking features.  It already
supports Mac and PC clients using TCP/IP; in a conversation with their tech
support staff, I found out that at one point they had a Unix client,
although I don't think it was ever marketed.  I wish they would.

---

From: Mike Holling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 20:46:36 -0700 (PDT)

> backups of Macs and PCs a breeze.

An AMANDA client for macs would also be nice...

- Mike