Subject: [netatalk-admins] Photoshop and Pagemaker eating graphics

From: "Robert W. Burgholzer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 17:06:01 -0500

Hello,
I am ruunning papd and atalk on a slackware box, with a 1.3x
distribution, and am haing trouble printing with photoshop and
pagemaker. Both choke my print spooler when outputting documents with
graphics in them. The jobs get 2/3 of the way finished then just hang.
The same graphics print out readily when sent from netscape. I have also
tried outputting them to a file, then lpr'ing them, but they too succeed
only in jamming the print server.
I have searched their sites, but to no avail.
I remember PageMaker 5x used to have trouble in an all mac network that
I used to work in, but can't recall the fix.

I am now having trouble with PM6.5 on G3 macs, the printers are a
Personal LaserWriter NTR, and an NEC Silentwriter v.95.

Anybody got any clues??

Thanks,
rob

--
Robert W. Burgholzer
Director of Technology
Sandy Spring Friends School
301-774-7455x111
[email-masked]

---

From: Andrew Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 14:44:50 -0800 (PST)

You have to set them to print in ascii or binary mode, whichever is
different from how it is currently set.  I think ascii mode is correct,
but I'm not positive.  Try choosing the other setting.

	Andy

---

From: "Robert W. Burgholzer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:51:00 -0500

Thanks to all who offered up the solution. Sorry for the post of a
problem which turned out not to be netatalk after all, but DFO.

---

From: Prentice Bisbal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:51:27 -0500

DFO?

> problem which turned out not to be netatalk after all, but DFO.

----------------------------------------
Content-Type: text/html; name="unnamed"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Description: 
----------------------------------------

-- 
Prentice Bisbal
[email-masked]
Princeton Plasma Physics Lab
http://www.pppl.gov

---

From: Benjamin Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 01:39:10 +1100 (EST)

Andy is correct.

The reason being of course that LaserWriters by default only accept 7 bit
connections. One used to be able to use the LaserWriter Utility to change
to 8 bit connections. Don't know where it's got to nowadays.

But the easiest way to solve the problem is to change the encoding to
ASCII. It's in the Print dialog of Photoshop so should be the same in
PageMaker.

> > Personal LaserWriter NTR, and an NEC Silentwriter v.95.

-- Ben

/----------------------------------------------+------------------------\
| Benjamin Lee                                 |                        |
| Internet Administrator                       |  Mobile:  0416 122 779 |
| PowerNET Computer Consultants P/L            |  Fax:   +613 9425 9091 |
| 50 Madden Grove, Burnley 3121 VIC Australia  |  Phone: +613 9425 9090 |
\----------------------------------------------+------------------------/

"Well," Brahma said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is no
wiser, but an intelligent man requires only two thousand five hundred."
                -- The Mahabharata.