Subject: [netatalk-admins] Problem with MacOS 8.6 ... a little off topic, help please!

From: Jared <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:37:39 -0400

Hello.

Situation is simple:
Linux dual interfaced box (RH-6.0, netatalk with asun 2.1.3) works as a
router everything works fine -
atalkd routes, afpd serves and so on. So it's not a netatalk's problem. We
just got a bunch of powerbooks with
8.6 on them. When the notebook is getting moved from one "sub-net"
(segment) to another it cannot see the
network even after restarting the appletalk. The interesting thing is that
after appletalk is restarted, in the control panel it shows the correct
cable range (got from the linux router) but the network number is the
number of that
network where this book was moved from. Even REBOOT(!) doesn't help.
Practically the only way to get it to see
the network is to set the network number manualy. Then everything works
fine. We made some experiments and
found that it is not the netatalk's fault - the same thing happens when the
only router on the segment is
baynetwork's ASN. Our problem is that we have developped structure of
routers on the network and moving computers around is a usual thing.
Have anyone come across of something like this. Any ideas are welcome!

Konstantin.

PS: Network number is not locked in the control panel (just to make it
clear). Looks like open transport appletalk in
8.6 is hanging to the network number (may be for the reasones of faster
recovery after network failure - just a thought), but not the cable range
(why?). Is there a way to force the network discovery?