Subject: [netatalk-admins] Font Downloading

From: Les Barstow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:58:06 +0000

Does Netatalk have the ability to accept Font downloads, assuming the
backend
interpretter supports them?  I am currently using netatalk-1.4b2, but am
looking
to move to the asun versions.

Sincerely,
Les Barstow
System Administrator
ENTIRE/UFO Systems, AHT Companies
[email-masked]

---

From: Albert Max Lai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 19:51:44 -0500 (EST)

> Does Netatalk have the ability to accept Font downloads, assuming the

Yes it does. It seems that they are just embedded into the middle of the
postscript. We are running an asun variety of netatalk on a bunch of
machines, and I've managed to print a document with well over 60 random
fonts that were not on the destination printer. (We were doing this as a
test to see what fonts we could support in our facilities). You have to be
careful that the driver that you are using does support font downloading
correctly though. We had a problem with an old laserwriter driver, so we
switched to an HP Laserjet driver, which ended up breaking when we
upgraded to MacOS 8.5.1. The LaserWriter 8.6 driver works as far as we can
tell though. (We hate the desktop printers though.) 

--
Albert Lai <[email-masked]>           1018D East Campus
Residential Computer Consultant           411 W. 116th St.
Columbia University                       New York, NY 10027
http://www.columbia.edu/~aml61            (212)853-4854

---

From: Les Barstow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:52:12 +0000

> > to move to the asun versions.

I probably mis-stated the question...  Can I use Adobe Font Manager to
download fonts using Netatalk?  My backend interpretter (JAWS from 5D)
supports this feature provided the PPD specifies a hard drive in the
printer
(the HP 5Si Mopier PPD does...).  This is important for encrypted fonts
such
as Kanji fonts from AsiaSoft, which will not embed in PostScript print
files.

TIA, 
Les Barstow