Subject: [netatalk-admins] Files are not visible

From: "Patrick J. Lawrence" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 12:53:16 -0700

Hello,

I recently built netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on Solaris 2.6 and it's working
for the most part.  I can log in.  I can copy files to the volume.  The
only problem is that I can't ever see anything.  When I copy something from
the Mac to the share, it will show for one second and then immediately
vanish.  The file is really there in both the home directory and in the
.AppleDouble directory.

I'm copying into a directory in AFS space, but I've also tested it with a
local directory and got the exact same results.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Pat
-- 
Patrick Lawrence
Distributed Computing Analysis and Support
University of California at Davis

---

From: "Patrick J. Lawrence" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 09:55:20 -0700

> i'm betting that you compiled with -lucb. if that's the case, then
> directory lookups will get confused.

Well, the -lucb is needed for AFS support.  However, explicitly linking in
the C lib first, it now works just fine!

So, to build with AFS on Solaris, add "-lc -L/usr/ucblib -lucb" to the end of
the libs in etc/afpd/Makefile.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Pat

---

From: "Dave (Grizz) Glaser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:55:52 -0400 (EDT)

One other thing: 

I get the message from syslog:

Apr 14 15:35:04 plain afpd[1472]: main: atp_open: Cannot assign requested addres

Dave

-- 
 David S. Glaser  AKA Grizz	|        
 M&M Systems Administrator      |  There are very few personal
 419 Michigan St.  Apt. 2   	|  problems that can't be fixed by an
 Hancock, MI 49930	 	|  adequate amount of high explosives.  
 [email-masked] 		| 	--anonymous

---

From: "Dave (Grizz) Glaser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 15:43:41 -0400 (EDT)

I am trying to install netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on Solaris 2.6

Currently only guests can log in, anytime I put in a user with a correct passwd, it comes with "Connection with the server unexpenctantly broken". If a user uses an incorrect passwd, it comes back with incorrect passwd. 

I have added the -DSHADOWPW and rebuilt. (It did the same thing without it.) Since it comes back with incorrect passwd, it must be working.

I am getting pretty desprate to fix this thing. I have read through the FAQ but could not find any articles that helped. If ANYONE can help, please let me know.

Dave

---

From: Kenneth Cummins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 17:45:25 -0400

Have you compiled in PAM?  If so, that could be your problem.  I was having similar problems until I took out PAM support.

Kenneth Cummins
Disney Online

---

From: Victoria Grace Landgraf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 19:37:02 +1300 (NDT)

All --

  I was having the same problem Dave describes (see below), and was
disheartened to read the suggestion to ditch pam (ditto), since that's not
really an option in my environment.

  Instead, I commented out the pam_open_session call in auth.c (which was
where the crash occurred) and pam_close_session in afp_asp.c and
afp_dsi.c.  Now everything SEEMS to work fine, though I haven't done
extensive testing.

  Here's my question: anybody know what side effects this has?  I don't
*think* the session management stuff matters to me, but I'm not familiar
enough with netatalk or pam to be absolutely sure.  My main concerns are
that users authenticate via pam, which they now are, and that failing to
open a pam_session not destabilize my system, which is the part I'm not so
sure about.

  Ideas, anybody?

Victoria Landgraf
[email-masked]

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, a sun wrote:

> 
> make sure you compile *without* pam support. the solaris pam support
> doesn't seem to work that well.
> 
> -a
>

---

From: "Brandon S. Allbery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:13:21 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, Victori
a Grace Landgraf writes:
+-----
|   Instead, I commented out the pam_open_session call in auth.c (which was
| where the crash occurred) and pam_close_session in afp_asp.c and
| afp_dsi.c.  Now everything SEEMS to work fine, though I haven't done
| extensive testing.
| 
|   Here's my question: anybody know what side effects this has?  I don't
+--->8

Safe for you, probably, but it would have rather unpleasant side effects in
my environment (when using PAM, AFS tokens and Kerberos tickets are managed
by the PAM session stuff).

-- 
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 [email-masked]
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   [email-masked]
electrical and computer engineering					 KF8NH
carnegie mellon university	      ["God, root, what is difference?" -Pitr]