Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Appletalk <=> Ethernet

From: [email-masked] (William P. McGonigle)
Date: 15 Jun 99 08:34:16 EDT

--- [email-masked] wrote:
Q: Can I run on macs in appletalk network TCP/IP apps like telnet?
Someone has do it? How?
--- end of quote ---

You need a MacIP server (macipgw runs on FreeBSD, perhaps others?) to
encapsulate/deencapsulate the IP packets out of AppleTalk packets from the
LocalTalk segment and put them on your ethernet wire (and vice versa).

nb: AppleTalk != LocalTalk   LocalTalk is a data/physical layer protocol and
AppleTalk is a network->application layer protocol, that can run over
LocalTalk, Ethernet, TokenRing, FDDI, etc.

-Bill

---

From: "Piotr Waskiewicz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:05:54 +0100

> LocalTalk, Ethernet, TokenRing, FDDI, etc.

Yes, you're right. My mistake. I'll check this macipgw.

--
.-.  .-.----.----.----.    ---         ,               ---
| |/\| | -- | ---| -- |    --- Piotr Waskiewicz * WasP ---
|  /\  | ,. |--- | ,--'    ---     UIN: 5654159        ---
`-'  `-'-'`-'----'-'       --- [email-masked]  ---