Subject: [netatalk-admins] asp_getsession:Invalid argument ???

From: San Takashima <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 99 20:50:07 +0900

Hi,
I've just installed Netatalk on NETBSD 1.4.1 (mac86K) and after a number 
of try, I've got the netatalk installed.

at the start up, I get the message that afpd have a problem. 
atlaked and papd is running.

Log file have an entry of 
Nov  7 01:08:19 linux afpd[186]: linux:AFPServer@* started on 
65280.23:128 (1.4b
2)
Nov  7 01:08:19 linux afpd[186]: main: asp_getsession: Invalid argument
Nov  7 02:42:54 linux atalkd[171]: nbp_packet: malformed packet

Anyone can help me ?
San

---

From: Steve McAllister <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 14:30:31 -0500

Please help us all out when responding to a question posted to the
mailing list, respond to the mailing list and not the individual.

---

From: "Chad S. Lauritsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 12:04:10 -0600

That's the list's fault. On every other list I've ever subscribed to,
hitting the reply button sends a message to the list, not the poster of
the message. I've been guilty of this before too, just hit reply & send
but then I never see the response on the list. Could whoever runs this
list fix that by adding a reply-to: field in the message headers or
something? I don't run any lists, so I don't know much about this :-(

just my $.02

--
******************************************************************
* Chad S. Lauritsen, Systems Administrator                       *
* Perfection Learning Corporation                                *
* 1000 North Second Avenue                                       *
* Logan, IA 51546                                                *
* 712.644.2831 x 223                                             *
+================================================================+
+ Something to do, something to love, and something to hope for; +
+ these are the grand essentials of happiness.                   +
+================================================================+

---

From: Rich Lafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 15:43:52 -0500

Quoting Chad S. Lauritsen ([email-masked]) from Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 12:04:10PM -0600:
> That's the list's fault.

No, it's not. A mailing list shouldn't *ever* add a Reply-To:; that's the
job of the sender of the message.

> Could whoever runs this list fix that by adding a reply-to: field in
> the message headers or something?

No, you can fix it by using your mail agent to send your message to
wherever you want your message to go.

(For what it's worth, the mail agent "mutt" has a feature which lets
you choose reply-to-sender, reply-to-all, or reply-to-mailing-list.
I suspect you could do a macro along those lines in most other mailers,
though.)

HTH,

  -Rich

-- 
------------------------------ Rich Lafferty ---------------------------
 Sysadmin/Programmer, Information and Instructional Technology Services
   Concordia University, Montreal, QC                 (514) 848-7625
------------------------- [email-masked] ----------------------

---

From: Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 14:39:20 -0700 (MST)

> That's the list's fault. 

It depends on your idea of what a list should be. 

Of course, this list is in poor shape for the following reasons.

1) The archives are no longer maintained
2) There is no readily available FAQ that is posted to the list

Half of the messages could be answered by.. "You are using what
version?.... my god, there are all your problems.. go see asun's ftp area"
 :-)

We could take a tip from the sun-managers list which enforces a rule of
having to post a SUMMARY to your question once it has been answered. On a
high volume list this is a great idea. sun-managers is great at what it
does. There is absolutlely no discussion on the list.. just questions and
SUMMARYs

It could be that this list is small enough so that the discussion type of
list works. But it would be nice if people summarized the answers that
they get. Of course it would be really nice if there was a searchable
archive of the list

Wes: What do you plan on doing with netatalk.org and netatalk.com?

Tim

Tim Carlson                                  Voice:    (505) 984-8800x255
Director of Computing: Santa Fe Institute    Fax:      (505) 982-0565
WWW: http://www.santafe.edu/~tim             Email:   [email-masked]

---

From: "Chad S. Lauritsen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 15:25:35 -0600

All didactic pontifications aside, I disagree. This is the only list I subscribe to that
forces me to enter the list address when I press reply. I find that inconvenient and
counter-intuitive, as I suspect do others on this list based on the fact that a request was
made to send replies to the list, not just the poster.

> job of the sender of the message.

What principle are you basing this on?

---

From: "P T Withington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 20:32:12 -0500

Many folks consider it a courtesy to reply to both as they may send mailing list mail to a low-priority inbox and not notice that they have been answered.  My personal opinion: it is much easier for me to configure my mailer to delete duplicates than for most people to configure their mailer to not reply to all.  It's too bad most mailers do not automatically delete duplicates (using the unique message ID that is required on SMTP mail), then we would never see this issue discussed...

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> Steve McAllister
> Sent: Monday, November 08, 1999 2:31 PM
> To: Netatalk Mailing
> Subject: [netatalk-admins] I would like to know the answer as well?
> 
>

---

From: Jerry Normandin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 09:10:54 -0500

Can we end this thread?   I use this listserver to get information I need to tune
my Netatalk / DFS gatewway.    I'll use this list as the maintaner set it up.
I guess Chad doesen't get what Open Software is all about.

---

From: Thierry Michalowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 15:21:41 +0100

> made to send replies to the list, not just the poster.

I see you're using Netscape; right near the "Reply" button, there is a "Reply all" button.
Useful for replaying to the mailing-list as well as to the sender of the message.
Of course, I agree it is a question of habits. I'm the first to hit the "Reply" button instead
of the "Reply all", but after all, it's my fault.

Regards

--
Thierry Michalowski                                     /
Edipresse Publications S.A                 \\\' ,      / //
Informatique de Production                  \\\//    _/ //'
33,av. de la gare                            \_-//' /  //'
1001 LAUSANNE SUISSE                           \ ///  //'
phone: +41 21 349 46 26                        /  >>   \\\`
mailto:[email-masked]       /,)-^>>  _\`
                                              (/   \\ / \\\
"Unix is user-friendly...                           //  //\\\
It is just selective about who its friends are"    ((`
============================================================================
This message has been checked with GRIMEsweeper which has detected a virus
embedded in this plain text message. You should now delete your entire hard
drive and rinse your eyes with soapy water to ensure it doesn't spread.

---

From: Rich Lafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 12:38:37 -0500

> made to send replies to the list, not just the poster.

Please wrap your lines to under 80 characters, and trim quoted material
that you're not replying to. In other words, you really need to learn
to use your mail program.
 
By the way, "everyone else is broken, we should be broken too" doesn't
fly. If you have to type in the list address manually, then you have a
mail program missing features, and should find one that does what you
need.

Are you really incapable of directing your own mail where you want it
to go?

> What principle are you basing this on?

Least harm.

The canonical expression of it is in "Reply-To Munging Considered Harmful",
at <http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html>. 

A signature should be a maximum of four lines, and the delimiter is
"-- ", not "--".

Get mail clue, ok? 
 
  -Rich

-- 
------------------------- [email-masked] ----------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:03:48 -0500

> From:    Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
> To:      "Chad S. Lauritsen" <[email-masked]>

> Wes: What do you plan on doing with netatalk.org and netatalk.com?

We're working on web pages.  Look at

	http://endofdays.rs.itd.umich.edu/~tombeau/netatalk/

to get an idea of what's planned (tombeau's our web designer).
Comments to [email-masked].

We're also moving the mailing list to SmartList (no timeline).  We're
moving the source to CVS, available thru webcvs.  We're putting up a
bug tracker, probably with jitterbug, tho suggests of other bug
trackers are welcome.

My hope is to permit netatalk to become a more open source project.

:wes

---

From: Tony Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:51:32 +0100

> My hope is to permit netatalk to become a more open source project.

Thankyou. 

man pages are OK but real live HTML docs are todays answer to man pages
IMHO.

Keep up the good work

Tony Grant

---

From: Hauke Fath <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 15:24:04 +0100

>man pages are OK but real live HTML docs are todays answer to man pages

??? Both serve two entirely different purposes. man pages are intended as a 
quick _reference_ and as such are meant to be terse. One, at most two 
pages, not more. Some of the man pages^Wbooks I have seen on linux defeat 
that purpose, though.  =8/

Tutorials and HowTo documents are well-suited for html, but when you need 
those it is pretty clear you have to take your time, anyway.

And if you feel you cannot do without html docs, there are ?roff-to-html 
converters.

         hauke

--
Hauke Fath                             Tangro Software GmbH
                                         D-69115 Heidelberg
[email-masked]                       Ruf +49-6221-13336-35, Fax -21

---

From: Tony Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 15:58:18 +0100

> that purpose, though.  =8/

Exactly - man pages for geeks and html for us lower mortels! I am still
fighting with some of the less terse ones...
 
> And if you feel you cannot do without html docs, there are ?roff-to-html

Some GUI do this automatically. We normal folk would like to have this
generalised as we tend to live in X-Windows and on a 1600x1200 monitor
reading man pages in an x-term is not much fun. Just a thought - a
/usr/doc/HTML/man with symbolic links to /usr/man and troff-to-html
could be an easy thing to do?

Cheers

Tony Grant