Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] need for speed

From: "Harry Zink/Netatalk List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:51:57 -0700

> The two Servers have comperable hardware (10/100 Network, Softraid Level 5,
> G3/300 MHz PII/450MHz...)

Bear in mind that Apple's are RISC CPUs, where apples are not equal to
oranges - thus CPUs at the same 'speed' do not perform equally.

> Now I can´t believe that Linux runs slower than ASIP.

As client load increases, I've noticed that in some cases, mostly (I think)
because netatalk requires more memory the more clients you have - thus you
might be able to alleviate this by throwing more hardware (memory) at the
problem.

Harry

---

From: "Harry Zink/Netatalk List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 10:51:18 -0700

> You can try for example
> 
> ftp://contrib.redhat.com/libc6/i386/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0-5.i386.rpm
>
> or get it from the original location

Nope, use this one instead:

http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/contrib/libc6/i386/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-4.
i386.html

Much newer, better features, and lotsa fixes.

Harry

---

From: "Harry Zink/Netatalk List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 10:48:54 -0700

> but when I do "top" my processor is only utilized by barely 1% and my swap
> space only uses 6MB. So I guess ther should be plenty of resources left for
> netatalk to run?!

I believe anders' page states the memory requirements by client, and I have
found them to be accurate, as client load increased. Bear in mind, you might
do a top when all clients are connected, but not doing much.

What are your memory requirements/utilization when all clients are
connected?

Now try the same when all clients initiate a large transfer.

Not sure how top works, but I found a similar slow-down as yours when my
clinet load increased. I threw hardware at it (faster CPU and more memory)
to fix it).

Harry