Subject: [netatalk-admins] RedHat 6.0 help

From: John Barnett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:57:00 -0400

Hi-

I've run netatalk before on a rh5.1 system, but I just upgraded to
6.0, and I'm having problems.  Appletalk is loaded as a module, but
when I try and start netatalk services (by calling
/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start), it prints this error message:

AppleTalk not up! Child exited with 1.

(which I checked at the FAQ-O-Matic, but it didn't apply to my problem,
as far as I could see)

--and, I get the following messages in /var/log/messages:

Jun 11 13:45:55 server kernel: NET4: AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0 
Jun 11 13:45:59 server atalkd[4617]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Jun 11 13:45:59 server atalkd[4617]: setifaddr: lo: Operation not permitted
Jun 11 13:45:59 server atalkd[4617]: difaddr(0.0): Operation not permitted
Jun 11 13:45:59 server atalkd[4617]: difaddr(0.0): Operation not permitted
Jun 11 13:45:59 server atalkd: difaddr(0.0): Operation not permitted

Anyone have an idea as to what my problem might be?  I've tried
a few different RPMs, and also compiled and installed it from
the source, but all give the same results; I read somewhere that something
about the DDP code in the Linux kernel changed in 2.2-- could this
have something to do with it?

Thanks, anyone who can help out on this.

-John Barnett

---

From: Curtis Fulton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:56:06 -0700 (PDT)

I think the source of John's problem is the same as mine.

To remind everyone, I wrote in about two weeks ago explaining that atalkd
core-dumps directly after initializing.  This is a binary compiled on my
system.  An RPM distribution works fine, but I need to compile-in some
options.

I think it has something to do with the kernel source.  Does anyone out
there have an idea of what the proper state one's source code should be
when compiling netatalk?  Will it compile at all with 2.2.x?  Should I use
2.0.36 kernel source instead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Curtis Fulton

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, John Barnett wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:57:00 -0400
> From: John Barnett <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [netatalk-admins] RedHat 6.0 help
> 
> Hi-
>

---

From: Fred Wunderlich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:29:46 -0400

Has anyone noticed weirdness with Adobe's GoLive and netatalk+asun?

Weirdness where GoLive will appear to hang for a while (then release) or
where it takes an extraordinary amount of time to catalog a site??

Volume(s) is mounted via 7.6->8.6 AppleshareIP.

Thanks for any info!

fred

---

From: Alex Satrapa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:54:29 +1000

I can't compile netatalk-1.4b3, and atalkd in the asun 2.1.3 version
just kernel oopes about the same time as a Macintosh tries to talk to it
(DDP). It just hangs when a Mac tries to connect with ASIP (by hang, I
mean sit there do nothing and go zombie).

That code compiles and runs fine under 2.0.36... so I'm faced with the
decision of "do I hack kernel, or do I revert to the old kernel".

Does anyone actually have netatalk running on a 2.2.x kernel?

Alex

---

From: Buck Huppmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:01:21 -0500

> Does anyone actually have netatalk running on a 2.2.x kernel?

Yes, I do. But I'm using binaries of netatalk that I compiled when I had
the 2.0.36 kernel running, before I installed RH 6, so I don't know if
maybe there's a bad (kernel headers 2.2.5)-v.-(netatalk-1.4b3+asun-2.1.3)
that I managed to sneak around or what

--
buck

---

From: Martin Hicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:35:10 -0400

the other possibility is the glibc2.1 headers and system calls have
changed

mh

-- 
Martin Hicks ||    [email-masked]    || Achilles Internet Tech Support
Use PGP      || DSS PGP Key: 0x0E1EA147 || 613-688-0707 (voice) 
    "One World, one web, one program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
    "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler

---

From: Ryan Cleary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:04:05 -0400 (EDT)

> Does anyone actually have netatalk running on a 2.2.x kernel?

I built netatalk-1.4b2+pre-asun2.1.4-28 on a RH 6.0 box, with
kernel 2.2.5 (-22 was the kernel rpm build).  I didn't enable any of the
extra UAM options, just guest and cleartext access.

The file sharing daemons (atalk and afpd) as well as nbprgstr work
fine.  I haven't tried or needed or papd.

I haven't tried 1.4b3 (and didn't even know it was available).

--Ryan

_______________________________________________________________________
Ryan Cleary                                       <[email-masked]>

---

From: R Cent <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:57:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

Is anyone experiencing problems with aliases of files/folders on
a RH5.2/Netatalk1.4b2+asun 2.1.3-2 server?

1) If I create an alias of a file on my Linux server from a 68k
Mac running OS7.6.1, TWO files are formed!  One is the typical
alias file (type = alias) and the other is a generic file (type
= document).  Both files have the same name and are the same
size.  If I throw one into the trash, the other disappears too.

2) I have a folder in my users' home directories that is a
symbolic link to a directory elsewhere on the server.  All is
well until my users make an alias of this folder.  
Double-clicking on the alias of the symbolic link has
unpredictable results.  It opens a directory, but never the
right one.  This is a problem on with all OSes on all
architectures.

_____________________________
Bob Cent 
University of Washington
Box 357330
Seattle, WA  98195-7330  

mailto: [email-masked]
voice:  206.543.1433
fax:    206.685.0305
_____________________________

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:15:45 +1000

OKAY....

Using the latest release netatalk+asun (2.1.3 I think), Linux 2.0.36, and 
Samba 2.0.4b....  I get strange mojo when using any of the Macintosh "high" 
ASCII characters in file names.

   UNIX Name         Macintosh Name   SAMBA Name
---------------      --------------   ----------
MindExpander:aa      MindExpanderª    Minde~cn

What the hell?  I have noted the existence of NLS codepages.... I have a very 
simple afpd.conf setup line:

"Main Server" -nocleartxt -rand2num -noguest -setpassword

And AppleVolumes.default:

~
/Public "Public Access"
/projects "Projects"
/Applications "Applications"

My SAMBA config uses the following:
(removing the codepage directive has no effect)
         
character set = iso8859-1
client code page = 437

Sooo, since shutting down AFP continually to test new configurations via 
hunt-and-peck methods is out of the question [way way too many users], does 
anyone have any suggestions?  I'm sure this is "old" terrain for the 
Europeans out there.

Incidentally, once I have the correct config, I imagine converting the "bad" 
filenames isn't something that can happen automatically, or am I wrong?

=Robert=

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:04:58 +1000

>    UNIX Name         Macintosh Name   SAMBA Name

I was able to test some changes [hooray!  the "root" afpd doesn't need to be 
restarted when you change AppleVolumes.default.

My tests with altering the NLS via the AppleVolumes.default proved 
disastrous.  All of the files with special "high-ascii" characters could not 
be renamed once I tried the various NLS codepages.  OUCH.  Bad.  The Finder 
would let me try to rename the file, but the name would just "pop back" to 
what it was.  Only reverting the NLS page to the original (in my case, NO 
specified NLS page) would let my Macintosh clients rename the files with 
high-ascii.  [the ones I'm referring to are the common ª and Ä [the TM symbol 
and the cursive f used to often refer to Folders].

On the samba-side, I've had more luck with:

[removed the character set directive]
client code page = 437
codingsystem = CAP

At least the files are 1) accessible, and 2) show alot more like the real 
filenames.  Of course, the high-ascii are always WRONG on the Windows 
machines, but at least I can rename them and open them.

Sheesh.

1) Shouldn't a Macintosh client be able to change and access files with 
high-ascii created by a different NLS codepage?  Sure, I expect the filename 
to be "wrong" - but whatever it is, it should still be renameable!

2) Who is "mistranslating" the high-ascii?  Is there some concordance for 
translating the Macintosh high-ASCII to some "interlingua" format so that 
Windows and UNIX/X folks see the desired character?  I checked the Windows 
character set maps, and they have both the Ä and ª [cursive f and TM 
trademark], for example.  What is involved to ensure that all three platforms 
"see" the correct character.  I'm not so worried about the UNIX-side, per se. 
 [I'm used to seeing :XX and the like].

Yow.  I *cannot* be the first person to have stumbled over this.  What are 
peoples' solutions?

=R=

---

From: Alex Satrapa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:17:48 +1000

The common thread in these two responses is that they're not compiling
with the latest glibc. However, I used to have netatalk as compiled on a
2.0.36 RHL system, but it was never visible on the EtherTalk network.
I'm currently using DAVE and Samba, so I have 20 days to solve my
problem :)

In the meantime, I'm trying to learn C really really fast, and then I
have to figure out how to debug a kernel module...

Buck Huppmann <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ... I'm using binaries of netatalk that I compiled when I had
> the 2.0.36 kernel running, before I installed RH 6 ...

a sun <[email-masked]> wrote:
> i'm running netatalk fine on a 2.2.9 kernel. i'm using glibc 2.0.7
> though, so that may be an issue.

> extra UAM options, just guest and cleartext access.
...
> I haven't tried 1.4b3 (and didn't even know it was available).

Sorry... I think that was a typo. It's supposed to be 1.4b2, just like
everyone thought :)

Thanks to all who responded!
Alex

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 19:02:01 -0700 (PDT)

-a