Subject: [netatalk-admins] thank you and more...

From: Nicole Lallande <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:37:53 -0700

Greetings,

Many thanks to all of you who responded to my installation difficulties.
As a former FORTRAN programmer unfamiliar with C, getting creative with the
makefile and compile options was looking like vodoo.  Ultimately the
easiest solution was to install the rpm file from the redhat
ftp://contrib.redhat.com directory (that exact address is:
ftp://contrib.redhat.com/contrib/libc6/i386  for RH6.0, 5.0 just change
libc6 to libc5).

Now I am in the same position that Tom Tilmant is in - running on default
configurations, installation went well, atalkd is running - but i can't
tell if anybody's talkin' to anybody....  ping works from linux to my main
apple but not to another one on the network (which is connected to the
first mac through appletalk).

I am concerned that my previous efforts to network using  /etc/hosts file
and ifconfig are interfering with netatalk.  I see Tom has posted his
question twice and has received no response - I imagine he feels a little
like I do -- Santeria is looking pretty good -- anybody got a spare chicken
for sacrifice?

best,

Nicole

PS - if you are using your browser to access the ftp site and have Real
Audio plugged in, note that the file suffix for Real Audio is 'rpm' - the
result is your browser will recognize the rpm files as real audio files -
sol:  edit preferences, applications, change the suffix for real audio and
re-start your browser.

***********************************
Nicole Lallande
VOX:  760.753.6766
FAX:  760.753.6768
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
______________________________ "Advice to worms:  Sleep late"
www.mipana.com
www.high-techmarketing.com
***********************************

---

From: eirvine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 08:04:20 +1000

Hi Nicole,
 
I haven't read your previous posts, but 
 
> FORTRAN programmer unfamiliar with C, getting creative with the
 
> tell if anybody's talkin' to ..  ping works from linux to my main

Hmm... Perhaps a diagram is needed here, Nicole. You have three
machines,
yes? Linux + Mac + Mac. They are all on the same physical network, and
each machine has only one network card each, right? We are talking 
ethernet cable only, yes? Is there any mixing ethernet and the older,
slower appletalk cable? Please say no.
 
No ethertalk/appletalk Zones? (You'd know if you had them)
 
Good. That keeps it simple. Doing anything else is like way more
serious.
 
BTW, generally it is considered best to get the ethertalk protocol
happening before trying to get tcp/ip  working. Of course if you
were running FreeBSD instead...
 
Eddie.

---

From: "Tom Tilmant" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:06:21 -0700

Looking at the dmesg log, it shows that atalkd is being loaded, but afpd
fails.  My understanding is that afpd is for appleshare IP and would fail if
atalkd is not loaded right.

I am sure that Nicole Lallande and I are not the only ones who have come
accross this problem.   I am not sure about Nicole, but I am running RH 6.0
and have installed all the lastest patches.

Tom Tilmant

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Nicole Lallande
Sent: Friday, August 27, 1999 1:38 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [netatalk-admins] thank you and more...

Greetings,

best,

Nicole

---

From: Wenchi Liao <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:06:58 -0500

>atalkd is not loaded right.

not quite. afpd _is_ for appleshare ip, as well as
``regular'' appleshare. However, atalkd is not needed for
afpd to work. atalkd is the part that makes things visible
through the chooser, etc.

So if connecting to afpd via the chooser (atalkd), then
yes, atalkd is needed for afpd to work (as in appleshare
clients before os 8?). Otherwise, atalkd isn't needed (as
in os 8 and after).

Usually, I run into cases where atalkd fails, but afpd is
pretty much rock solid.

If you (Nicole or Tim) call afpd by hand, are there any
other error messages on the command line or in the logs?

WL

---

From: Wenchi Liao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:00:33 -0500

>first mac through appletalk).
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

appletalk? as in localtalk cabling? If it is localtalk
cabling (aka phonenet), then I don't think ping is
possible. However, I think it should be visible through
nbplkup.

>like I do -- Santeria is looking pretty good -- anybody got a spare chicken

Well, I guess if the machine can see other ip-connected
machines on the network with ping, the networking is fine.

It doesn't seem like there is a particular problem. Can you
do stuff? Like go through chooser on the macs and access
the server?

WL

---

From: Nicole Lallande <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:46:02 -0700

>do stuff? Like go through chooser on the macs and access

Yes, actualy since my post I have managed to hook up my linux machine to my
apple thorugh the chooser.  What I discovered (in some HOWTO out there) was
that I had to tweak the AppleVolumes.default file.  I can now access my
linux filesystem from the apple.  Now I have to get the other direction
going.  I have had three recommendations as far as that is concerned:

1. is a commercial site www.xinet.com - have not really checked it out yet,
2. is afpfs which I understand is a completely unsupported 'alpha' version --
and 3. is hfs in RH Linux...

...a hunting I will go...

Thanks for your response,

regards,

Nicole