Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk and y2k

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 21:14:24 -0800 (PST)

every so often, someone asks whether or not netatalk is y2k compliant.

for those in need of proof, i present exhibit A:
<http://www.zoology.washington.edu/~asun/images/netatalk-y2k.jpg>

now, you can go home and make sure your toasters are y2k compliant. i,
of course, decided to wait impatiently for the epochal 18 jan 2038 to
13 dec 1901 transition.

-a

---

From: Stephen Waters <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:38:00 -0600

offtopic... but i was curious as to how they'll deal w/ this in 2038.
will 64-bit computing have any effect on the time value or will they 
just recenter the inital time value (that day in 1972 or whatever; i 
forget)?
a URL would be nice if you dont want to type a lot.

thanks,

stephen

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:47:11 -0800 (PST)

as 64-bit computers will probably be commonplace, the common
assumption is that un*x systems will just start using 64-bit ints to
store the values. a bigger difficulty comes from times stored in
files. a lot of filesystems use 32-bit values for time. i'm not sure
what the various folks plan to do, but i assume that the non-date
extensible, older filesystems will just be treated as legacy formats
and deprecated.

-a