Subject: [netatalk-admins] Solaris 2.6 aarp_rput problem

From: Kelvin Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:26:35 -0500

When I start netatalk, I get the error "NOTICE: aarp_rput probe
collision hme0".
In addition, no connections are allowed to netatalk via the mac chooser,
i.e. the
server can be selected, but the users receive an error "No response from
the server.
Please try again".

I am running netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.2 on a Solaris 2.6 machine.  What
does this
error mean and how can I get it to stop?  BTW, I have noticed that the
-addr value
in atalkd.conf increments each time I start netatalk as long as I am
getting this
error.

Thanks for any help you can give.

kelvin edwards
Unix Sys Admin

---

From: "David S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 11:19:12 -0800 (PST)

> server can be selected, but the users receive an error "No response from

How often does this happen to your server?  Every time that you start
it?  I see the same error intermittently on Solaris 2.6 +
netatalk-1.4b2+asun<various>.  It seems just to affect 'atalkd', which
I have to stop and re-start.  'afpd' continues to work fine, and I
don't know about 'papd' because I don't run that one.  Also, when this
happens all the Macs on my subnet momentarily lose their connection to
the network (those running 8.5 say so, out loud).

I haven't been able to figure it out.  It doesn't happen frequently
(maybe once in a month), and I can't reproduce it myself.

David S.
[email-masked]

---

From: Kelvin Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:25:26 -0500

> (maybe once in a month), and I can't reproduce it myself.

When this error occurs, I will get it consistently for a period of
hours/days.
Stopping/restarting netatalk (/etc/init.d/atalk stop; /etc/init.d/atalk
start) does
not fix the problem in and of itself, however, there will be a time when a
restart
will not generate the error and all will be well.

I have not seen the problem with the Macs momentarily losing their
connection to the subnet, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. :)

Is it possible that the Mac zone is running out of addresses and that s
causing
the problem ?

--kelvin

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 20:24:19 -0500

> From:    Kelvin Edwards <[email-masked]>
> To:      "David S." <[email-masked]>

> > > When I start netatalk, I get the error "NOTICE: aarp_rput probe

This message means that someone else is trying to use your server's
AppleTalk address.  If it happens during boot, this is not a problem,
as the server will pick a new address.  If a Mac "steals" the server's
address after afpd is up, then the server could becomes invisible.
This ought to only happen if the network become partitioned, e.g. a hub
is power-cycled.

:wes

---

From: Yuji Shinozaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 22:19:16 -0500 (EST)

> This ought to only happen if the network become partitioned, e.g. a hub

I see "NOTICE: aarp_rput: someone is using our address" regularly on my
netatalk server (asun-2.1.1). We have a mess of an appletalk situation in
a large flat unrouted campus subnet (almost entirely switched). Restarting
with and without forcing the server to do a new discovery (by editing out
the address in atalkd.conf)  does not help.  Eventually, we will get the
messages again.  It does not seem to effect anything until a few days
after restarting where the afpd will disappear from Ethertalk (it will
however continue to serve ASIP).  I have feeling this is in part due the
saturation of nodes and switch latency:  Maybe atalkd is doing aarp probes
and never hears back from the far ends of the subnet so it assumes its
address is free or a distant host will do aarp's and give up before our
node has a chance to respond...? 

For this reason (among many others) we are trying to go fully TCP on our
macs.  There just isn't a good solution to the service directory problem
(does anyone know the status of SLP on the macos 8.5?)

yuji
----
Yuji Shinozaki		        Systems Administrator
[email-masked]	        Dept of Physics and Astronomy
http://www.physics.unc.edu      Univ. of North Carolina - CH
(919)962-7214 (voice)           CB 3255 Philips Hall
(919)962-0480 (fax)	        Chapel Hill, NC  27599