Subject: [netatalk-admins] Folder does not change in Finder

From: Incze Lajos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 20:37:30 +0200

I'd like to reassert one of my former messages. Nothing new
in it unless the variant of netatalk at which I was
experiancing the behaviour is now netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3,
installed from the redhat contrib RPMS.

============================================================
Let's say we have an AFP volume V and a subfolder A. We have
two Macs X and Y sharing the volume as the same user. Both X
and Y are opening volume V in the Finder. If X copies a file
to the volume V, after some seconds the change is visible on
Y's desktop as expected. Now, if both X and Y open up the
folder A in the Finder and e.g. makes some changes in it
like copies a file into this folder, _the_change_is_not_
_becoming_visible_on_Y's_desktop only if he/she (Y) closes
the Finder window and reopens it. The same applies if any of
them is trashing a file from the subfolder.

It smells a bug but perhaps I'm not aware of something (config
parameters ?). Thanks                                    Incze

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 00:23:34 -0800 (PST)

currently, there is no way for different afpd instances to talk to
each other. as a result, changes made on one volume will not show up
immediately on another mac. to get this to work, a little ipc is
needed to communicate changes between afpd instances. while that would
be useful for a number of reasons, there are far more important things
that need fixing in afpd right now. as a result, it is unlikely this
behaviour will change in the near future.

-a