Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] atalkd dies away / buy which NIC / Iwouldlike to know...

From: Tony Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 14:12:29 +0100

Harry Zink/Netatalk List wrote:
 
> Merde! De toute façon je parlais des cartes DEC tulip, pas the 3COM (blech!)
> - une carte tulip devrais etre moins chere que les trucs de 3COM.

If you can find one at your local PC emporium - all the tulip cards were
snatched up before I even knew there was a sale on...
 
> > The printer must be connected to a network with 2 Macs and 1 Win98 PC.
> > The main Mac is a G3 - the first thing we tried was a USB -> // cable
> > and Powerprint, didn't work.
> 
> Huh? That's VERY odd, since I have never had any trouble with PowerPrint
> *EXCEPT* with GDI printers - but pretty much nothing non-windows works with
> GDI printers.

This was in Pagemaker Mac - lots of problems with fonts and other
Postscript glitches...
 
> > Then I set up a papd server - worked fine until I installed Redhat 6.1.
> > Why did I install 6.1? Because I wanted an easy to setup and use modem
> > sharing system for the 2 Macs on the network. I was tired of mucking
> > around hand writing ppp scripts etc.
> 
> Just go back to RedHat 6.0 and use Linuxconf to set up the modem sharing
> gateway. Works great, and it's all menu driven.

I hate Linuxconf for some reason. I have never been happy with it unless
everything is installed from the beginning. Installing over a
personalized system has always given me headaches... And I needed to
test the Redhat update procedure. I'm just getting into mc...

Why does the Redhat netatalk rpm install atalkd init.d scripts that work
where as those that come with the source version don't?

Cheers

Tony Grant