Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Samba/Unix File Management vs. Resource Forks?

From: Clemens Anhuth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:49:20 +0200

> Actually, the only solution I've seen to handle this _real_
> problem is
> the Helios solution: they built a PC client (PC Share) which is
> aware of
> the Mac resource forks and desktop database, by simply calling the
> Ethershare process to access every file. This way, everything is
> updated.

uhm, right, i didn't think of programs implementing their own file
management routines, meaning using the netatalk routines for
handling files in samba is not bullet-proof either then, eh?

(and if that would be bullet-proof, i am sure a hotfix or service
pack for windows 9x/nt would find a way to break things again.)

bummer. :-/

so...the really safe way is to have separate windows and mac shares,
offering an exchange volume perhaps that people would have to be
educated about being possibly problematic?

---

From: Matthew Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:55:23 -0400

> educated about being possibly problematic?

	We have over 6000 users using our cross-platform file storage area, and
have never encountered a problem with this. Again, I'm not saying that
it can't BE a problem, I'm just staying it hasn't BEEN a problem.

-- 

          - Matthew Keller -
       Lead Programmer/Analyst
  Distributed Computing and Telemedia
State University of New York at Potsdam

Web: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/
PGP: http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/crypto/

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:28:34 -0700 (PDT)

samba has a --with-netatalk option that causes samba to treat
.AppleDouble directories in a special fashion. i suggest that you use
it. in the future, samba and netatalk will cooperate even more.

-a