Subject: [netatalk-admins] Question

From: "Peter J. Grabner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 17:56:33 +0100

Is there a possibility to tell netatalk to ignore printing requests from certain machines / to 
allow printing from a small list of machines only?
We have listed the machines which should be allowed to print in
/etc/hosts.allow
but this did not work.

Many thanks

Peter Grabner

---

From: andrew morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:16:09 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Peter J. Grabner wrote:

> Is there a possibility to tell netatalk to ignore printing requests
> from certain machines / to allow printing from a small list of
> machines only? We have listed the machines which should be allowed to
> print in /etc/hosts.allow but this did not work.

There is no provision for this in papd, and printing only occurs over
Appletalk, so tcp wrappers (hosts.allow/deny) won't work.

I have a patch to add authenticated printing, according to the Apple
specs, to papd.  It lacks some polish but is functional.  Would this solve
your problem?

	Andy