Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.2 behaving badly

From: Chip <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 21:27:10 -0500

First, I apologize for my imprecise terminology.  I'm a bit new at this.

I was using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-oa1 for a while and was only able
to connect from my mac (G3/266, then running 8.1) to my Linux box (then
Packard-Bell P75, then RH5.1).  I could connect via AppleShareIP if I
typed in the IP addy every time, but "regular"
double-click-in-the-chooser connections always failed after prompting for
the password.  (I gathered this was a known issue for RH5.1 folks.)

Then I upgraded the Mac to 8.5.1 and voila! Everything worked great,
including "regular" appletalk connections.  Then I upgraded the Linux box
to RH5.2 and an odd thing happened-- although file copying did just fine
in TCP or "regular" connections, program linking slowed to a crawl.  If I
launched an app on a shared disk from the Linux box, it took anywhere
from several minutes to a half hour to launch, depending on the size of
the app.  (Once launched it did just great.)

So, I updated netatalk to netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.2 (pre 4) and after
arguing with the makefile a bit and getting everything configured, I am
basically where I started-- except now the Linux machine doesn't even
show in the chooser! I can connect if I type in the IP address in the
chooser, and it performs just fine, however.

It seems like the AppleShareIP server is working but nothing else.

Could anyone offer me advice, or at least tales of similar problems?

Thanks!!

 -Chip

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Cogito, Ergo Utor Macintosh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
| And on the pedestal these words appear: "My name is Ozymandias, king of   |
| kings: Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" Nothing beside remains. |
|                                 -Shelley-                                 |
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*