Subject: [netatalk-admins] Dancing Icons

From: Chris McFarling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 12:57:37 -0700

We've been trying to use Linux for several months in a graphic arts
production environment with limited success. The main problem that we
have had has been dancing icons. When certain folders are opened on any
Mac running OS 8.x, duplicates of all the icons pop up and then
disappear repeatedly, making it next to impossible to select files. In
addition, other files that are actually there don't show up. We have
found that there is usually a particular file that, if removed from the
folder, eliminates the jumping icons/missing files in that folder. If
the file is put back in, the problem starts again. There is no rhyme or
reason to this and there is never anything unique about the file. This
only happens in random folders, not all of them.

According to postings that I've read, the version of netatalk that we're

running (netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-2 under Kernel 2.0.36) fixes a dancing

icon bug. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to help in our environment.

A while back, Windows NT had the same type of problem which was fixed in

SP4. Apparently it was related to changes in the way the MacOS 8.x
finder viewed network volumes. Could netatalk be suffering from the same

bug? I've included a link to the Microsoft support web page which
briefly explains the NT issue.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than me could enlighten me on this
problem?

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q178/3/64.ASP

--
--------------------------------------
Chris McFarling---Pacific Color
1916 Palomar Oaks Way, Ste 100
Carlsbad, CA 92008
voice:(760)438-8933    fax:(760)438-8414

http://www.pacificcolor.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 18:03:31 -0400

It does not do it for our 8.x anything..... We have the oposite the file list is
not refreshed unless you open and close the window on a mac.

System:
Pent 2 400
96m Ram
10/100 Fast Ether.
SuSE 6.1 Kernel 2.2.5
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-7.i386.rpm
samba-2.0.5a-3.i386.rpm
10 gig EXT2 data drive
4 gig main drive EXT2

Chris McFarling <[email-masked]> on 10/18/99 05:49:43 PM

To:   "Harry Zink/Netatalk List" <[email-masked]>, netatalk
      <[email-masked]>
cc:    (bcc: Josh Curtis/COMPEPHR/EPHRATA/MPG)
Subject:  Re: [netatalk-admins] Dancing Icons

It happens with all flavors of OS8 that we're using. (8.1, 8.5.1, 8.6)
So I'm assuming any 8.x version.

Harry Zink/Netatalk List wrote:

> > Mac running OS 8.x
>
> What version of OS 8.x?
>
> 8.0, 8.1, 8.5, 8.51, or 8.6?
>
> Harry
>
> --
> Beauty, brains, availability, personality  - pick any two.

---

From: "Harry Zink/Netatalk List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 16:09:33 -0700

> So I'm assuming any 8.x version.

Thanks, just wanting to make sure, since earlier versions had some trouble
with some versions of netatalk, that later did not.

Harry