Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk needs to be modified in order to let PC MacLan work on NT/9x machines.

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:30:08 -0500

Hello,

This is what I got back from PC MacLan.  They said that the reason why PC
MacLan doesn't work with netatalk is because case sensitive problem.  In
Man, all directories/files are treat as non-case sensitive.  For Mac, "This
is a long file name" = "THIS IS A LONG FILE NAME", which it is different
than in UNIX.

So is there anyway that you can modify the netatalk source code and avoid
this problem?  Because the only solution that we find for Windoze platform
is to use PC MacLan software, and UNIX AppleTalk server gets better
performance than Mac AppleTalk server.

Best Regards,

Alex Yu
PGP: 1F23 3045 9F92 E856 3967  ACB3 5354 2CC0 7AA7 19FA

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 23:56:15 -0500

Another problem I found,

Let's say you have 2 directories on atalk server.  One is Bill, and the
other is Gates.  "Bill" has 770 (ug+rwx,o-rwx) permission, and "Gates" has
755 (a+rwx,go-w) permission.  Now you copy some files from your local
computer to "Bill" directory.  All the files you copy will have 660
(rw-rw----) permission on files and 770 on dirs.  But now, you just decide
to move these files/folders in "Bill" to "Gates" because you hate Windoze.
You drag these files and directories from "Bill" to "Gates".  "Gates" is a
share directory where you share your files to all real users.  But guess
what, the files/directories you just move, all have the old permission,
which are 660/files and 770/dirs.  Because this, no one is be able to read
your files unless they are in the same group where you belong to.

Is it suppose the way it should go?  Or is it a bug that needs to be fixed?

Alex

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:54:56 -0800 (PST)

i have plans to stick in database support do deal with this problem
(and a number of assorted problems as well). however, there are some
interaction issues that need to be worked out as well as a number of
other issues with netatalk that need work before this gets added. 

however, all is not lost. netatalk has the ability to uppercase (or
lowercase) everything on the server side. look in
config/AppleVolumes.default for casefold in asun2.1.3.

-a

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 21:01:12 -0800 (PST)

Another problem I found,

it's more like a missing feature than a problem.

netatalk doesn't currently support blank access permissions. when i go
through and re-vamp all of the permission handling, i plan to add that
in. for those not in the know, blank access permissions just say to
always inherit the permissions of the parent directory.

-a