Subject: RE: [netatalk-admins] AS IP speeds

From: Colin Postel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:34:59 -0800

FWIW..

The finder reports about 600kps download throughput on volumes mounted via
AppleTalk, less than 500kps upload. Using TCP/IP I get about 750kps
download and about 800kps upload. I am too lazy to calculate properly, I
just take finder's word for it. I am copying a 50M file back and forth.

Server: PPro-200, AHA-2940, ACNC ultra fast-wide 45G intelligent raid box,
RH 4.1, kernel 2.0.36, netatalk+asun-latest. 100baseT (the servers are all
on 100)

Client: PPC 4400/200, OS 8.5. 10baseT.

I have never gotten much better throughput off 10baseT using ftp.

-colin

Colin Postel, System Administrator
Primo Angeli, Inc.
[email-masked]
415 551 1900 ext. 218

---

From: Mike Holling <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 14:23:58 -0800 (PST)

> I have never gotten much better throughput off 10baseT using ftp.

Just as a data point, I set up some PII 300 boxes with Buslogic 946
controllers and Seagate wide drives using EtherExpress Pro 10/100 cards.
On a 100bT hub I was seeing over 7M/sec disk-to-disk between the machines,
using FTP.  I've also seen good hardware saturate 10bT links, getting
970kBps or more.  None of this involves AFP, but these real-world numbers
should set an upper bound on people's expectations for AFP performance
using any transport.  Right now I'd settle for my 8.5.1 machine to read
files off any AppleShare server w/o locking up... :(

- Mike