Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] problem

From: Tomás Pluskal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 20:41:47 +0200

thank you very (VERY) much, now it works great.
it's pity that this basic info isn't in netatalk's docs.

with regards
Tomas Pluskal

----- Original Message -----
From: Konstantin Reznitsky <[email-masked]>
To: Tomá¹ Pluskal <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 1999 10:31 PM
Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] problem

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, [iso-8859-2] Tomas Pluskal wrote:

> i have a small net with windoze and 2 macs (1 power pc, 1 imac), it has 2
> segments (10 Mbit and 100 Mbit) connected via linux router. (one mac on
each
> segment). I'd like to use netatalk to route aplletalk, so:
> 1) when I put in atalkd.conf ONLY eth0 OR eth1, it works fine on one
segment
> (one mac can see the server)
> 2) when I put there:
> eth1 -seed -net 65280 -addr 65280.10 -zone "gm"
> eth0 -seed -net 65270 -addr 65270.15 -zone "gm"

It looks to me that you are trying to use network nubmers which are
reserved for the zoneless networks. On another hand as far as I understand
AppleTalk you cannot assign the same zone to two different networks
(cable ranges). Try to do this:

eth1 -seed -net 10 -addr 10.10 -zone "gm1"
eth0 -seed -net 20 -addr 20.15 -zone "gm2"

Which "eth" goes first will define to which zone your afpd will belong to
(default zone). And you might want to put -phase 2 for both. Make sure to
disconnect your macs before bringing you atalk up (shut them down or
disable appletalk for time atalk needs to come up) this will avoid network
number and zone conflicts (some times atalkd crashes if you are using
-seed and there are other routers on the network).

> (the powerpc mac has address 65280.25 and is  on eth1, the imac has
65270.24
> and is on eth0), the first surprising thing for me was that it didn't work
> if I put eth0 first, because afpd started always on 65280.10 and the imac
> (65270.24) could'n connect. If I put eth1 first, afpd starts on 65270.15
and
> imac connects ok, and the power pc mac too, but after (about) 60 seconds
it
> (powerpc) says "appletalk has been disconnected" and when I want to
connect
> again, I must change its appletalk address (for example to 65280.26) and
> find the router again. Then it repeats.

Remove locks from anything (network number, node address, zone) on the
macs in the AppleTalk configuration if you have any. Let them to discover
the network after you atalkd will be up and running.

Hope this helps (works for me)...

Konstantin.

> I tried to change everything in the conf file (divide it into separate
zones
> and so on), but I could'n get it working.
> Doesn't anybody here know what to do ?
> Thanks
> Tomas Pluskal
>
>