Subject: [netatalk-admins] timeaccounting system for netatalk

From: Gustav Kristoffer Ek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 14:17:03 +0200 (CEST)

Hi, I was thinking about the best way to make a timeaccounting system
whitch count the time one are woriking on a dokument. Since it is very
irritating using any form of start-stop-timer whitch you have to manually
start every time you begin on a project and stop again when you stop
working on that project I was thinking the best way was to let the
fileserver serving the document making the accounting.

The idea was that netatalk should mark the time a dokument was opened and
also remember the parent folder of the dokument since this gives an
indication of which job it should be accounted under. When the user closes
the dokument again netatalk again write the time and in that way you know
how long you was working on that particulary dokument.

Of course there should also be some sort of interface to edit and correct
the information, it could be done logging the information to a database
and have a webinterface to that.

My big question is then is it posible to get netatalk logging a little
more verbose, so it could be done without altering netatalk only by
processing the logs? Or if I would like to alter netatalk, where should I
look to find the functions whitch is called when a user open and closes a
file?

- gustav

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Gustav Kristoffer Ek, Netcetera, Brolæggerstræde 4, 1211 København K
Telefon +45 33 14 70 00 / +45 20 40 00 05 - Faximile +45 33 14 62 00
Webdesign, Webhotel, Mailhotel, UUCP & mere http://www.netcetera.dk/