Subject: [netatalk-admins] IC2netatalk

From: clark shishido <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 10:56:37 -0800

I'm trying to update and standardize my Internet Config - FileExchange
-AppleVolumes.system file mappings. Has anyone used IC2netatalk recently?
Is anyone willing to send me a copy? I've tried getting it at
http://www.roelle.i3w.com/linux/netatalk/IC2netatalk/ but haven't been able
to get through the past few days.

I guess I could do it manually, just trying to be lazy.
--clark

---

From: Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:57:23 -0700

I am feeling rather stupid here...

I have netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-oa1a.ppc installed on redHat Linux
(MkLinux). I simply installed from the rpm package installed. That could be
part of my trouble.

It's working fine and I am loathe to muck around with it lest I break it
but:
   the passwords are "in the clear"
   the "change password" button is greyed out

I'd like to change these

I've read the README file, the README.AFS (what _is_ AFS??) and the
README.LINUX file and I am getting more, not less, confused.

I tried to uncomment this line:
  # Comment out this line to enable normal (clear text) logins:
  #AFPD_NOCLR=-C

in /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk.init but then I couldn't connect via the Chooser
at all... something about Authentication Modules not be being found.

I read back through some of the list messages... found something unnerving
about ~/.passwd files. I _want_ these users to use the same password that
is their Unix password. They only come in over AppleShare. They don't even
have a shell.

Do I need an afpd.conf file?  Do I simply give it the same volume names
from the AppleVolumes.default file and then attach flags??

If I manage to get Change Password working or stop sending passwords in the
clear will I also stop using /etc/passwd? (yugh).

Unless I can change this, I'm stuck with users needing an AppleShare
account on a Mac _and_ an email-only account on the Linux box. My life will
be much simpler if there is ONE home dir on the Linux system.

Pointers to later RPMs, to documentation that makes sense, will be
appreciated, as will any assistance from anyone else who has done this
before me.

- Vicki
-- --
       |\      _,,,---,,_       Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
 ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_   Journeyman Sourceror: Scripts & Philtres
      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'  P.O. Box 1269  San Bruno  CA  94066
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb  http://www.macperl.com