Subject: [netatalk-admins] 36a report

From: Jon Evans <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 10:42:10 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,

You may remember I wrote earlier in the week after our server locked
up, and I subsequently rebooted it with Linux 2.2.13 and
pre-asun2.1.4-36a.  I said I would report back with progress.

Well, it seems stable - the server has been up since the reboot on
Tuesday, and a lot more files have been moved to it from other mac and 
sun servers (I would say nearly 10GB new files have been copied to the 
server).

I do have one user (out of ~15 mac users) with a problem - he keeps
getting "file locked" messages from Quark.  See:

[root@home 1323.p103]# ls
EH103         EH103.3.3              SetMark Special Markers.eps
EH103 report  May98.4col.seton.logo  Setmark.pipe.markers.eps
[root@home 1323.p103]# fuser *
EH103:               22310
EH103.3.3:           22310
[root@home 1323.p103]# ps awux |grep theuser
theuser  22310  0.0  1.3  3200 1784 ?        S    Nov02   0:57
/usr/sbin/afpd -U uams_clrtxt.so,uams_randnum.so -g nobody -c 100 -n
theuser  27206  0.0  1.7  3136 2244 ?        S    Nov03   0:00 
/usr/sbin/afpd -U uams_clrtxt.so,uams_randnum.so -g nobody -c 100 -n

NB I don't know why - maybe I'm using an old version of ps - but the
date above is wrong.  The first process in the list actually started
at 08:55 this morning, according to the log file.

Question: is it normal to have two afpd sessions running for the same
user?  Is it one session per mac, or one session per shared directory
connected?

Question: Any ideas as to how it managed to get into the situation
where the mac thought that the files were locked, but according to the 
server they were locked *by* the mac?

Jon.