Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] RPM link for RedHat NetatalkASUN

From: Rick Zeman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 19:00:07 -0400

On 7/4/99 at 5:29 PM, Dan Horth <[email-masked]> wrote:

|Rick - did you mean to send this - there seems to be no message???
|
|Cheers, dan.
|
|At 11:37 PM -0400 2/7/99, Rick Zeman wrote:
|>On 7/1/99 at 4:14 PM, Dan Horth <[email-masked]> wrote:
|>
|>|I'd suggest using this one instead:
|>|
|>|http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/contrib/libc6/i386/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-4.i3
|>86
|>|..html
|>|
|>|later build and has support for backgrounding atalk startup... working
|>|grand for us here on both a 5.2 and 6.0 redhat system.

Whoops.  Guess now that I'm here, I'll ask a question <G>:  has anyone gotten
any of the recent asuns to compile under Caldera OpenLinux 2.2?

Unfortunately, RPM's are all out of the question as they demand a PAM >0.56.
_______________________________________________________________________
Rick Zeman                           In our secret world, we will collide
mailto:[email-masked]            In all of the places we were hiding love
Will Rogers never met Bill Clinton       What was it we were thinking of?

---

From: Dan Horth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 08:51:11 +1100

Hiya - I've tried searching for information on the net, and the 
appletalk on linux list but there's been no takers there... may be 
someone here has me insights into what's going on?

I've been noticing this error (warning?) in our log files:

afpd[29274]: afp_null handle 43

I'm thinking that this error may be showing up when the server /
network is pretty heavily loaded... but not 100% sure...

we're not seeing any errors to go with this on the client side though.

Can someone enlighten me as to what this means?

TIA. dan.
-----
	Nitro - 3D Visualisation, Graphics & Animation
		Ph (+61 2) 9810 5177 - Fx (+61 2) 9810 0199
			http://www.nitro.com.au/

---

From: Andrew Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 15:42:09 -0800 (PST)

> Can someone enlighten me as to what this means?

I don't know if this helps, but that error message originates in
etc/afpd/switch.c in the netatalk source.  The following comment explains
it a little bit:

/*
 * Routines marked "NULL" are not AFP functions.
 * Routines marked "afp_null" are AFP functions
 * which are not yet implemented. A fine line...
 */

I believe handle 43 corresponds to the AFP 2.1 function "FPCatSearch",
which is an optional feature in AFP 2.1. You may see this error if clients
are doing a find on a netatalk volume, but it shouldn't be related to high
server loads.

	Andy

---

From: Dan Horth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:55:21 +1100

Ok - so dumbing it down a little (I'm pretty dumb when it comes to 
coding and stuff!) basically this is a warning that an AFP function 
has been called by the client that has not been implemented in the 
netatalk code yet?

and if you're correct in it relating to FPCatSearch then it's not a 
critical "I'm having problems and so to remedt this I'm hosing all 
your data!" type error...

?

thanks for the insight... dan.

-----

---

From: Andrew Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 23:13:12 -0800 (PST)

Yeah, that is how I understand what I've read.  I gave all the details
because some people prefer that (plus it forced me to find all the details
myself).

	Andy