Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] partition size limit?

From: Kevin Quick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:37:15 +0100

>> It's a Mac issue.  WinNT will also report a smaller "available" size to
>> help integer overruns on the Mac.
>
>No, it's *NOT* a Mac issue.
>
>Win NT has been showing less space, simply to stay compatible with older
>version fo Mac OS, and also because larger network volume support will be in
>NT5/Win2000 (long time to wait for tha, I'm sure).
>
>AppleShare servers properly indicate larger disk partition sizes.
>
>... and, last but not least, the netatalk servers I run have no problem
>letting my clients show authentic volume size (up to 15 gigs, which is the
>largest volume I have shared).
>
>So, this is deifnitely NOT a Mac issue - it was  aMac issue on pre-OS 8
>systems, but not any more.
>

The problem lies with the version of Appleshare Client being used.

As long as the Macs have Appleshare Client 3.8.x or higher then it will
show the correct size partition.

The newer versions need Open Transport though for asip.

Kevin.

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 23:55:19 +0200

>The problem lies with the version of Appleshare Client being used.

I'm uisng 3.8.1 and have the following Values:
117,6MB used, 3,2GB free.

df -h shows:
Filesystem            Size  Used  Avail  Capacity Mounted on
/dev/md0               16G  8.1G   7.2G     53%   /usr2

Somehow 2x4GB used space were trashed and the rest is told to the Finder. 7,2 minus 3,2 are also 4GB which fall "down the table".
I think this is an issue, because I cannot compile without -DNO_LARGE_VOL_SUPPORT, the compile breaks. Somewhere (if there's any interest, I can try to reproduce this).
I'm using gcc version 2.7.2.1 and libc 5.4.44, MacOS 7.6.1 and AppleShare 3.8.1.

:wq! PoC