Subject: [netatalk-admins] permissions/ copying issue

From: Satadru Pramanik <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 18:55:55 -0500 (EST)

I have compiled netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4 with Glibc 2.1 on LinuxPPC
(upgrading from the default LinuxPPC Rel 4), and everything seems to be
working ok.  The server shows up in the chooser, I can log in, and files
show up.   BUT, when I try to copy a file from a server volume to the
desktop, I get a message of "The Item "filename" can nnot be read because
it is already in use.  Do you want to continue? <stop> <<continue>>"  The
permissions on the files are the same as before:
-rwxrwxr--   1 satadru  satadru     40960 Apr  1 18:45 Peace.doc*

Any thoughts on this?  this effectively makes afpd to share files
unusable.

I don't use a afpd.conf, instead passing this in my startup script:
/usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd -n newspeak

-sat-

--=
satadru pramanik [email-masked]' www.umich.edu/~satadru
Online Editor, The Michigan Daily
"I'm old enough to be living in the future I was warned about."
  - Myron Krueger
=--

---

From: Steve Frampton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 19:45:10 -0500 (EST)

Hello:

I've just compiled Linux 2.2.4-4 with Appletalk support included as a
module.  I've got netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-2 installed from RPM, and
have a couple of services defined in AppleVolumes.default.

The docs made mention of installing tcpwrapper, which is included in my
distribution of Linux, but I'm not sure what the proper method of
restricting hosts would be.

Something in /etc/hosts.allow like

atalk: 123.124.125.

(to restrict traffic only to hosts in the 123.124.125.* class C)?

Or something in the /etc/atalk configuration files.

Also, I plan on making the same area available to Mac's through Netatalk
as to Wintel's through Samba.  Any issues here?  Do/Should I turn off
CR translation, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance...

--------------< LINUX: The choice of a GNU generation. >--------------
Steve Frampton  <[email-masked]>  http://qlink.queensu.ca/~3srf

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 23:30:13 -0500

> Something in /etc/hosts.allow like

That looks right to me.  But I would just setup a firewall to block down all
ips to tcp port 548 and udp port 548, and only allow 123.124.125. subnet.

   > Also, I plan on making the same area available to Mac's

If you don't want to spend time to play around with Samba.  Get the newest
Samba, compile with netatalk support, then the Samba will use AppleVolumes
configuration file for sharing folders.

Alex

---

From: Jim Hart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 10:06:37 -0500 (EST)

> -rwxrwxr--   1 satadru  satadru     40960 Apr  1 18:45 Peace.doc*

I had a similar problem and found the answer in the .AppleDouble folder.
The permissions on the resource fork file were too restrictive.  I'm not
sure what caused it, yet, as I wasn't able to duplicate the problem.

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 18:54:13 -0800 (PST)

well, does someone already have that file open with deny read access?
afpd in pre-asun2.1.4 is now much more compliant with the AFP spec in
how it handles file synchronization locks. if you open a file and deny
others read access (i.e., you've opened a document in word), afpd will
note that and prevent you from opening it again for read access. the
finder can't copy that file as a result. NOTE: there are many cases
where you would think that read access would still be allowed. it
turns out that a lot of programs will deny others read access even
though they don't really need to do so.

also, when trying out development snapshots that i've made available,
please don't use the mailing list. it tends to confuse
people. instead, just send me an email, and i'll deal with
it. actually, if we had a netatalk-development mailing list, things
would work out better. in addition, please note that you're using
"pre-asunW.X.Y.-Z" and not "netatalk-1.4b2+asunX.Y.Z" as you aren't using
the released version. 

-a

---

From: Wenchi Liao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 09:11:38 -0600

>ips to tcp port 548 and udp port 548, and only allow 123.124.125. subnet.

The daemon name is afpd. The port is right, though.

WL