Subject: [netatalk-admins] possibly simple setup problem - no volumes

From: "Paul R. Potts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:14:48 -0500

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this has an obvious solution; I did spend as much time as I could
looking through the FAQs and to-dos trying to solve this, and I've also tried
every config file option I could think of having perused the docs over and over.

I'm setting up 
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3.tar.gz

on Red Hat 5.2/Intel and LinuxPPC 4

I've also tried various other versions and using RPMs instead of source, and
had the same results. I've had this problem on two PCs and two Macs. This has
happened both on a busy U-M network and on a two-machine tiny network at home
with devices connected to an ISDN router.

Symptoms:

server machine appears in the chooser

I can choose guest or registered user

login appears to succeed for either

no volumes appear in the list of volumes to mount

What I've done:

disabled DES in the makefile

rebuilt using "make" and "make install" - built OK

in my /etc/rc.d/init./
the daemons seem to come up OK

it builds me an atalkd.conf file in /usr/local/atalk/etc, which looks like:
eth 0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.122

I have AppleVolumes.default which is the default with only "~"

AppleVolumes.system is the default

I've added the atalk services as described to inetd.conf

In my user volume I've got an AppleVolumes file also containing only "~"

I've compared this configuration to our Sun at work (which functions fine) and
I can't see that anything significant is different

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul