Subject: [netatalk-admins] Pacershare vs. Netatalk

From: "Paul Stuart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:49:59 -0800

Greetings,

I have netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 running on a Redhat Linux (2.0.34) on a
generic Intel box. It works great except:
I've restores some archives of files that came off a SunOS 4.1.3 box
running PacerShare and the files are all there except that the resource
fork is not visible. The minimum size of these resource files is 589
bytes, which matches the info I could glean from <atalk/adouble.h>.
Resedit says that the resource is corrupted, FileTyper shows a resource
size of 0 bytes. I can copy new files to the same folder and they work
fine...

Anybody have any clues, experience, or hunches about fixing these files?

Regards,
Paul Stuart

---

From: "Frank Morton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:04:04 -0500

If you get nowhere, I know I wrote some conversion software
years ago to convert to/from pacer share software that I could
probably find. How many files to you have to convert and how
big are they?

---

From: Craig A Summerhill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1999 07:23:52 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Paul M. Lambert <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Craig A Summerhill said:
> > 
> > But I can see how it could be a pain if you have a lot of files to 
> > transfer.  Also, preserving uid/gid settings might be difficult if 
> > you have user's who have complex setups.  Around here, a 
> > "chown -R user .*" usually solves those problems... 
> 
> just a note of warning: "chown -R user .*" doesn't do what you would 
> first think it might.  keep in mind that all unix directories include 
> two special directories: . and ..
> 
> doing a "chown -R user .." is probably not something you want to do.

Paul, thanks for the clarification...

I was thinking about that when I was writing it, and didn't go back 
to change it before I hit the send button.  I shouldn't have written 
that as '.*' because I would never issue that command literally.  If 
the person's $HOME directory is /home/user, I would generally opt for 
one of these approaches:

   cd /home
   chown -R user ./user

     or

   chown -R user /home/user

I figured most of the people on here know better since the list is
called "Netatalk Admins" but I shouldn't make assumptions.  You're 
right that a unix neophyte could get themselves into a world of 
hurt with some poorly structed chown commands.

P.S.  This brings up a question I have been meaning to ask.  If 
a user goes into a Volume from the MacOS side, and sets permissions
using the File:Sharing command, and later those permissions come 
into conflict because a unix chmod command is issued, which set of 
permissions does netatalk use.  Do the unix permissions always 
override the Mac ones if they differ?  That was the case with Pacer.

Just wondering...
-- 

   Craig A. Summerhill, Systems Coordinator and Program Officer
   Coalition for Networked Information
   21 Dupont Circle, N.W., Washington, D.C.   20036
   Internet: [email-masked]   AT&Tnet (202) 296-5098