Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and remote printers

From: Mary Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 10:31:52 -0400

I am a relative linux newbie who works in a predominantly Mac 
environment and have set up the first linux computer in the 
department .... a dual processor (pentium III) Pi-O running nicely on 
RedHat 6.0.  Netatalk has been installed and I have had no problem 
file-sharing with my test Macs.  However, I'm having a lot of 
problems setting up the linux box to print to a remote (ethernet), 
postscript (dye-sub) Tektronix Phaser 450.  I  set up the linux box 
to print and print serve to a Tektronix color laser (Phaer 560) using 
the generic postscript filter for linux printing and no filter at all 
for the Macs.  However, this doesn't work with the dye-sub.  Does 
anyone have any experience or any suggestions for dealing with these 
printers?

Mary Stracke

---

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 09:51:02 -0500 (CDT)

Do you atleast get something to print from the remote ethernet printer?
I assume you are using rm=ip.number.nnn.nnn in your /etc/printcap. I can't
get jobs to print from MAC to papd to LPR of the Ethernet printer over
TCP/IP. No one has been able to identify the problem for me so I might
assume there is a problem with the netatalk papd code in how it deals with
the BSD LPR in the Linux 2.2 Environment.

You might try using the LPR Spooling option with the MacOS Print Driver. I
believe you'll need like 8.51 or later. I use 8.6 and I can spool via LPR
directly from the MAC, although it takes too long for the job to actually
complete. But if you can print via LPR from the Mac directly to the
Printer with all the options you need, it might help you single out the
problem. Because it might be a problem getting those printting options
using the printer via LPR over Ethernet, and not be netatalk/Linux at all.

						-----russ-----

> anyone have any experience or any suggestions for dealing with these 

+--------------------------------------------------------------+
 Russell E Glaue, Technologies Engineer   [email-masked]
 Center for the Application of Information Technologies
 101 Horrabin Hall, 1 University Circle, Macomb, Illinois 61455
 http://www.cait.org  http://cait.wiu.edu

---

From: Ryan Cleary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 14:02:25 -0400

> the BSD LPR in the Linux 2.2 Environment.

I was having the same problem with RedHat 6.0 and preasun2.1.4-33, but I
think I've figured out what's going on.

I think it's really a problem with the BSD lpd code.  lpd doesn't like
to send queue files that are not 13 characters long to another lpd
daemon.  I've looked at the lpd source (specifically, function sendit()
in lpd/printjob.c), and have a fix for the lpd code.  I haven't tested
it much, but it seems to work so far.

Or, one could change papd so it only created spool files with 13
character names.

If you are interested in the details or an lpd patch, email me.

--Ryan

---

From: Mary L Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 14:30:22 -0400

> the BSD LPR in the Linux 2.2 Environment.

I can print to the dye sub printer from a Windows NT workstation over
ethernet or from the Mac (LW 8.6) using the Tektronix PhaserPort print tool,
which is TCP/IP printing via the Tektronix/Adobe Appsocket.

I did set up printcap with rm=ip.address.nnn.nnn of the printer.  I tried
using the generic postscript filter for linux printing, but couldn't get it
to work.  When I ran lpc status for the printer with something in the queue,
I see printing enabled, queue enabled, waiting for queue to be enabled on the
"ip.address.nnn.nnn".   I haven't got a clue why I can print TCP/IP from a
Mac or a Win NT but not from the Linux box.  (The printer runs at PostScript
Level 2.)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mary Stracke

---

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 13:27:17 -0500 (CDT)

Ah ha!!!
Has this been brought to the attention to those individuals completing the
overhaul on Netatalk?  A fix for this should be included in the next
release so we can all print from papd through LPD to any remote TCP/IP
LPR.

I would be interested in any patches to Netatalk papd that will allow it
to successfully work together with LPD for printing to remote LPRs over
TCP/IP.

After 2 years I finally got this problem answered by someone.
Please forward your patches.  Thank you very much!

---

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 13:32:43 -0500 (CDT)

Mary. I believe Ryan Cleary answered this for us in the previous email.
Netatalk papd is does not correctly operate with the LPD to print to
remote LPRs. 
I might suggest looking at his patches if you really need this function
and cannot spool directly from the client to the printer using LPR.

---

From: Ryan Cleary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 16:16:47 -0400

> release so we can all print from papd through LPD to any remote TCP/IP

I searched RedHat's bugzilla site for lpr bugs, and found the one I was
referring to earlier.  It's already been reported (at least twice), and
their fixes are the same as the one I came up with.  There is an updated
version of lpr available (lpr-0.39) that incorporates this fix.  I found
it at:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rawhide/1.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/lpr-0.39-2.alpha.rpm

for the Intel version.  SPARC and Alpha versions are there, as well, in
the expected places.

Again, it's not a problem with netatalk at all.  It is (was) a bug in
RedHat's lpd.

--Ryan Cleary