Subject: [netatalk-admins] Network Trash Folder

From: "Jeff Muller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:45:13 -0800

This is a newbie question but, here goes.

First the general config.

Server:
Slackware 3.5 w shadow passwords
2.0.35 kernel, appletalk compiled (not a module)
netatalk-1.4b2

Clients:
Various PowerMacs, 7500 to G3's all running MacOS 8.5

The default behaviour when deleting a file from a network share using Mac AppleShare and MacFile(NT) is to store the file (or a reference to it?) in the Trash of the machine it was deleted from.  Is this behaviour supposed to be duplicated by netatalk?  The client when deleting a file is told that the file can not be stored in the trash and that the file will be permanently deleted.  Any thoughts?

Any info or pointers to info would be helpful.

Jeff

---

From: Sascha Knific <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:42:26 +0100

Hi Jeff,

>This is a newbie question but, here goes.
...  
>he default behaviour when deleting a file from a network share using Mac
AppleShare and >MacFile(NT) is to store the file (or a reference to it?) in
the Trash of the machine it >was deleted from.  Is this behaviour supposed
to be duplicated by netatalk?  The client >when deleting a file is told
that the file can not be stored in the trash and that the >file will be
permanently deleted.  Any thoughts?
>Any info or pointers to info would be helpful.

when you trash a file netatalk will put it i a network trash folder. i think
you didn´t set up the right of the unix folder witch contains your appletalk
volume. without setting up write access for the users who are using this
volume netatalk isn´t able to create the trash folder.

good luck

Sascha Knific