Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] FreeBSD & quotas & disk sizes

From: Jaime Kikpole <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 19:54:37 -0500 (EST)

Andrew Morgan <[email-masked]> said: 
> > > There is an option for the AppleVolumes.default file in
pre-asun2.1.4-36a.
> You can get it as:
> ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing/pre-asun2.1.4-36a.tar.gz

	It looks like some of the authenticating subsystems were changed a lot.  I've
only installed NetATalk from the FreeBSD ports collection before, so maybe I'm
wrong, but are uams new?  How do I use them?  The default configs cause my
server to appear in the Chooser but whenI try to use it the Mac gives me this
error:

The User Authentication Method required by this server can't be found, please
check the AppleShare folder in the System Folder and try again.

	Any tips?

						Thanks again,
						Jaime

--
Network Administrator
Cairo-Durham Central School District

---

From: Jaime Kikpole <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 20:01:47 -0500 (EST)

Let me add something to my previous letter about uams.  Just after afpd
starts, I get this in my logs:
Nov 19 19:56:32 darwin afpd[39794]: uam_load(uams_guest.so): failed to load.
Nov 19 19:56:32 darwin afpd[39794]: uam_load(uams_clrtxt.so): failed to load.

	Any thoughts?

							Thanks,
							Jaime

---

From: Benjamin Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 22:50:45 -0600

At 11/19/99 6:54 PM, Jaime Kikpole ([email-masked]) wrote:

>	It looks like some of the authenticating subsystems were changed a lot
> [in pre-2.1.4]. [...] are uams new?  How do I use them?
Yeah, pluggable uams are new.  The default Makefile settings put them in 
/usr/lib/atalk/uams.  You may have to change your afpd.conf to point to 
the correct uam directory; it sounds as though afpd isn't finding it.  A 
number of the afpd.conf and AppleVolumes options have changed, 
particularly with regard to password authentication, so it pays to reread 
the docs at the top of the files (in the config directory of the 
distribution).

--Benjamin Gilbert

---

From: Benjamin Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 12:38:58 -0600

At 11/20/99 4:42 AM, eirvine ([email-masked]) wrote:

>Its one particular *early* version of claris works 4.0
>that can't cope with the larger volume sizes. I've been
>through all of this at work. Noting to do with netatalk!

Oops.  You're right.  Thanks.

<http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n30187>

Should have thought of that... sigh...

--Benjamin Gilbert

---

From: Andrew Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:18:30 -0800 (PST)

> Nov 19 19:56:32 darwin afpd[39794]: uam_load(uams_clrtxt.so): failed to load.

It is hard to tell what exactly is wrong, but maybe I can help.  On my
installation, I have put all my netatalk stuff in a directory,
/private/atalk.  Under that directory is an "etc" directory containing
configuration files for atalkd, afpd, and papd.  Inside that directory is
a "uams" directory with:

drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1024 Nov 22 00:42 .
drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root         1024 Nov 22 00:42 ..
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Nov 22 00:42 uams_clrtxt.so ->
uams_pam.so
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 Nov 22 00:42 uams_dhx.so ->
uams_dhx_pam.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1629 Nov 22 00:42 uams_dhx_pam.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1612 Nov 22 00:42 uams_dhx_passwd.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         3069 Nov 22 00:42 uams_guest.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         5630 Nov 22 00:42 uams_pam.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         3636 Nov 22 00:42 uams_passwd.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1609 Nov 22 00:42 uams_randnum.so

Do you have a uams directory and similar files?

The other possibility is that you have the uam files, but afpd is looking
in the wrong path for them.  I'm not sure how this would happen though
because the build process should set everything up correctly for you.

	Andy