Subject: [netatalk-admins] On some systems, atalkd can not be restarted.

From: Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:50:15 -0700

What does this mean, exactly?

A few weeks ago I "got brave" and built (it built) and installed (it
installed)
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3.  It's was running...

But I was unhappy about the overwriting of /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk.init
(RedHat Linux, specifically MkLinux which doesn't really matter here) so I
put back the old version.

Anyhow, in playing with the new one I discovered that I could stop it with
   /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk.init stop

(yes, that works; no, don't tell me I "should" reboot)

but I couldn't start it again

/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk.init start
starting appletalk daemons: AppleTalk not up! Child exited with 1.
 atalkdnbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
Can't register penguin:Workstation@*
nbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
Can't register penguin:netatalk@*
 nbprgstr papd afpd.

Version netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-oa1a.ppc stops and starts and stops
with no trouble so I find it very difficult to blame my Linux
installation...

Whazzup? I _cannot_ reboot the machine to restart AppleTalk. This is our
company mailserver.

- Vicki
-- --
       |\      _,,,---,,_       Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
 ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_   Journeyman Sourceror: Scripts & Philtres
      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'  P.O. Box 1269  San Bruno  CA  94066
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb  http://www.macperl.com

---

From: Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:52:46 -0700

Or was it -50...?

One of my users connected to the netatalk server and when she tried to do
anything... open a file, open a folder, get info on anything in the window,
she got a notice that an "error of type 50 has occurred".

then some of the files vanished.

Any ideas?
-- --

---

From: Didier Chalm <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 08:01:04 +0200

> but I couldn't start it again

You have tou build your kernel w/ Appletalk support as a module.  ;-)
Then you can stop atalk, unload the module, ..., load the module and start 
atalk...

-- 
-- [email-masked]       EPSHOM     |   Linux, one small step for man,
-- Service Informatique   BREST - FRANCE |   one giant leap for mankind.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 14:05:44 +0200 (CEST)

in my experience -50 most often occurs for a missing
.AppleDouble-counterpart or wrong permissions
thomas

---

From: Rich Lafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:23:22 -0400

> she got a notice that an "error of type 50 has occurred".

Error 50 isn't, according to my error list. ;-)

But error -50 is apropos: "paramErr: Error in user parameter list".
 
In other words, some AppleEvent parameter on her machine isn't getting
what it's supposed to be getting. It might be easier to reinstall MacOS
rather than try to track it down, but just on the off chance, what
version of the OS and of AppleShare is she using? Does the error occur
consistently or just the one time? Does it only happen for her or are
there more than one person for which it happens?

  -Rich

-- 
------------------------------ Rich Lafferty ---------------------------
 Sysadmin/Programmer, Information and Instructional Technology Services
   Concordia University, Montreal, QC                 (514) 848-7625
------------------------- [email-masked] ----------------------