Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk as Application Server one more time ....

From: "Owen O'Donovan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 01:19:31 -0600

Because of a misconfiguration on my box I'm reposting this message.

I'm running a recent 1.4b...asun... under RH6.0.

Here's the problem: How do we share cd-based applications consistently
under netatalk?
I'm working in a school environment with many cds to be shared over a
network.  Linux's ext2fs works very well for some (well written)
applications: Drop a CD into a directory; share it in
Appledouble.whatever  file and it's available to clients.

But many  applications make inconsistent  references  (with respect to
case)  to filenames used by the applications.  Because ext2  is case
sensitive the results are quite indeterminate ranging from immediate
bombs to dialog boxes  asking "Where is FILENAME".  'FILENAME' usually
exists in some slightlly altered form like 'FileName' which ext2
properly distinguishes as a different file which is then unrecognizable
by the (relatively) dumb application!

My immediate solution was hfs to get around the case sensitivity issue.
I've got mounting and ownership issues and limitations under control
and sharing does happen.  BUT it appear that HFS volumes under netatalk
act similarly to Apple volumes  (and unlike nice ext2 directories) in
that if you share a directory  then you can't share a subdirectory.
Does anyone know if this is true?  If it is, it means that organizing
the material  becomes more complex

How do you dump a  CD into an iso/regular file and shared  it as an
Apple volume?
I'm sure it's doable since there are many references to it being done --

but the 'devil's in the details!'  Pointers  to the appropriate
FAQs/HOWTOs would be welcome.

I'm heading toward using a set of CD images --each one mounted as a
shared  HFS volume.  Is this the way to go?

Any help along these line is Welcome!

TIA