Subject: [netatalk-admins] problem with guest access

From: Ken Weiss <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 11:27:40 -0700

I just built and installed netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 on a freshly minted
RedHat 6.0 system (Linux my.host.domain 2.2.5-15smp #1 SMP Mon Apr 19
22:43:28 EDT 1999 i686 unknown).

I'm having a problem that I can't find mentioned in the documentation, the
FAQ, any of the READMEs, or the netatalk-admins list archive. Access for
authenticated users works just fine. Guest access fails. All I can find in
the logs is the following:

Jul  2 09:52:49 akpi afpd[2327]: ASIP session:548(1) from
207.212.67.116:2092(2)
Jul  2 09:52:49 akpi afpd[2295]: server_child[1] 2327 done
Jul  2 09:53:06 akpi afpd[2328]: ASIP session:548(1) from
207.212.67.116:2093(2)
Jul  2 09:53:06 akpi afpd[2328]: login noauth
Jul  2 09:53:06 akpi afpd[2295]: server_child[1] 2328 killed

I am running with no afpd.conf file. I tried several variations in
afpd.conf, including setting up a dedicated guest server exactly as
described in the example afpd.conf file that came with the package. I also
tried adding a user to the Linux system called 'noauth.' The results are
always exactly the same. Authenticated users can access the server, but
guest logins result in an immediate message on the Mac of "The connection
to this server has been unexpectedly broken."

I built netatalk with PAM and DES support. Shadow passwords are enabled,
and appear to work just fine.

Any suggestions? Something simple I overlooked, I hope...

--Ken

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ken Weiss                                              [email-masked]
California Digital Library Technologies            (510) 710-3356 (voice)
UC Office of the President                           (510) 763-2471 (fax)
1111 Franklin Street #7313B          [email-masked] (text page)
Oakland, CA  94607-5200              http://dcas.ucdavis.edu/kenhome.html