From: Art Werschulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 11:28:13 -0400

Hi.

We are running RedHat Linux 6.0 (kernel version 2.2.5).  We obtained 
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-4.i386.rpm from contrib.redhat.com.

Under an older (RH5.2) version, we had netatalk and friends running
fine.  The bad news is that we blew away the executables when we
reinstalled (don't ask); the good news is that we saved the
configuration files.  In particular, we saved papd.conf and the
various PPD files in the /etc/atalk/ppd directory.  FWIW, the relevant
part of the papd.conf file is:

  812 Computer Lab:pr=ps812:pd=/etc/atalk/ppd/HP3.ppd:
  817 Corridor:pr=ps817:pd=/etc/atalk/ppd/HP4000.ppd:
  824 Science Lab:pr=ps824:pd=/etc/atalk/ppd/HP4M-600.ppd:

Anyway ...

On the netatalk host (Linux box):

(1) After doing /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start, it appears that only
    atalkd is running, and not afpd or papd.  (I checked this with 
    "ps auxw".)

(2) Both "nbplkup :Workstation" and "nbplkup :netatalk" return without
    reporting anything. 

For one of the Macs on the network (running MacOS 8.5), the following
seems to be the case, when I launch the Chooser:

(1) If I select "AppleShare", nothing happens.  However, if I click
    "Server IP Address ..." and type in the fully-qualified domain
    name of the Linux host running netatalk, I am able to log in and
    mount my home directory.

(2) If I select "LaserWriter 8" nothing happens.  I do not get a list
    of printers from which I can choose.

Again, please note that with the currently-existing configuration
files, AppleShare and LW8 worked OK from the Chooser.

Suggestions?  Thanks.

-- 
Art Werschulz (8-{)}   "Metaphors be with you."  -- bumper sticker
GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y? 
Net: [email-masked] <a href="http://www.dsm.fordham.edu/~agw/">WWW</a>
Phone:   Fordham U. (212) 636-6325, Columbia U. (212) 939-7061