Subject: [netatalk-admins] socket: Invalid argument

From: Steve Parkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 14:37:37 -0600

I'm trying to get an AppleTalk server going on my RedHat 6.0 box with a
2.2.13 kernel. I have compiled the kernel with the AppleTalk ddp. I can get
afpd to run an ASIP server and am able to successfully login, move files,
etc.

When I try to start atalkd I receive the following message:
socket: Invalid argument
socket: Invalid argument
atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.

This makes me think that AppleTalk is not in my kernel, although I know it
is. In boot.log I see:
atalk: starting AppleTalk daemons:
rc: Starting atalk succeeded

ifconfig makes no mention of EtherTalk on the interface eth0.

Should EtherTalk be listed from ifconfig on the interface when atalkd is not
running? It is my understanding that atalkd is the classic AppleTalk
interface for the package - Is this true? For what reasons could I have
AppleTalk ddp be compiled into the kernel but still receive that error
message above? Anything will help, thanks.

BTW - I'm using the netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 - is this the package I should
be working with?

---

From: Andrew Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:58:23 -0800 (PST)

> atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.

Type "dmesg" and look for something like:

NET4: AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0

If you don't see this, then you haven't compiled Appletalk into the
kernel.  Also type "lsmod" and see if you see the appletalk modules
listed (maybe you compiled it as a module).

Either way, it sounds like Appletalk isn't available to the kernel.

	Andy