Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] new admin question: ppds and timeouts

From: [email-masked] (Abel Deuring)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 00:00:00 +0000

Hi Jason!

> I have just set up netatalk on a Debian GNU/Linux system to provide
> print services to 5 Macs ranging from a MacIIsi under System 7.1 to a
> 9600/300 under MacOS 8.1 (everything but the IIsi is running 8.1).
> Netatalk seems to be 1.4b2+asun2.1.1, from the package for Debian
> 2.1.
>
> I am having a problem with the Macs locking up (under 8.1) or just
> timing out (under 7.1).  The printers show up in the chooser under
> both System versions, and their status shows up as ``foo is ready and
> printing.''

I see two possible problems:

For the System 7.1 Macs: Could it be that you use LaserWriter 7.x  
on these Macs? This old version definitely cannot "talk" with  
papd. You must use LaserWriter 8.x.

Regarding the second problem: I remember roughly a similar  
situation, where papd simply died. It turned out that papd does  
not like PPD files with Mac-OS line separators (0x0D). Changing  
the 0x0D into 0x0A solved the problem.

Abel

---

From: [email-masked] (Jason F. McBrayer)
Date: 31 Mar 1999 15:17:44 -0600

I'm writing  to summarize responses to a previous query, for the sake
of having an answer in the archives.

My problem was timeouts in papd when connecting from LaserWriter 8
(8.5.1), causing the Macs (MacOS 8.1) to freeze up.  The cause of the
problem turned out to be (as I had suspected) PPD files with incorrect
line-ending conventions.  Adobe supplies PPD files in both DOS (CRLF)
and Mac (CR) formats.  I converted my PPD files to Unix convention
(LF), and everything is swimming.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

-- 
+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| Jason F. McBrayer              [email-masked] |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |   
| forever.                    R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |