Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] newbie question about shared dirs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 18:19:35 -0400

One thing to remember is that unix/linux is a multi-user env. That means that if
you put a file in a dir and and your buddy logs in and tries to get the file he
will not be able to because it is owned by you. What I have done in the past is
when I made a user (foobar) I made him id 400 (just for example) then if I want
to also give (feebar) access to the same files I also give him id 400. That
means that 2 users share ids but have different logins. You could also make it
so the default create permissions for the group are rwx and make both users the
same group.

If there are some other ways I would like to hear them just for future
reference.......

Johua

"James Fraser" <[email-masked]> on 10/05/99 05:53:55 PM

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Josh Curtis/COMPEPHR/EPHRATA/MPG)
Subject:  [netatalk-admins] newbie question about shared dirs

     Please excuse my ignorance of netatalk. I'm new to netatalk and this
mailing list.

     I'm running Slackware 2.2.6 on my Intel box and I've just installed
netatalk. Almost everything is working great. From a Mac on the network I
can see my server in the Appleshares and select it. I am able to log in with
my username and password. I see my home directory properly and can access
it. The problem is that I have been trying to set up a common area that is
accessible from multiple accounts. I've added the lines:
#volumes
~       Home
/mp3 "MP3 Files"

to my /usr/local/atalk/etc/Applevolumes.default . Permissions are set to
rwxr--r-- root root on both the Applevolumes.default and the
Applevolumes.system. The dir /mp3 exists and has permissions set rwxr-xr-x .
But I still can't see the /mp3 directory. Could sombody please point me in
the right direction? I'm not sure what else to check.

Thanks

Jamie

+--------------------------------------+
James Fraser
System Support Generalist
Information & Educational Technology
Kwantlen University College
[email-masked]
+--------------------------------------+

---

From: Sean /The RIMBoy/ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 03:36:54 -0500 (CDT)

Another approach to take is to set their Group ID (GID) the same.  In my
case, I have the directory that I want others to see in my home directory.
If I want others to see that directory, I change their GID to my GID, and
then make a static link in their home directory to the directory I want
them to see.  

Sean...

> If there are some other ways I would like to hear them just for future

Everything you know is wrong,
Just forget the words and sing along.    --Weird Al
===========================================================================
Through the server, over the router, off the firewall... Nothing but 'Net!