Subject: [netatalk-admins] AUFS style Printer Security for netatalk

From: Nicholas Humfrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 09:11:43 +0100

Hi,

I am trying to setup printer accounting for the Macs on my network. I am
using ppr which has support for printer security under CAP by checking to
see if the user printing has authenicated themselves by accessing a file
system via AUFS.

Would the same be possible with afpd ? All it would require is adding the
-X option specifying the location to store login information. When a user
opens a connection is creates a file with the node and network of the user
and puts the username inside the file. Then when the user tries to print
the print spooler checks for a node & network file and uses the username
inside for acounting.

There must be other users out there who would like to see this feature. If
anyone out there is interested in helping me with implementing it please
let me know. I have not written very much in C in any kind of UNIX but I am
willing to give it a go.....

Nicholas Humfrey

---

From: "Gerry.Tomlinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 15:22:42 +0100 (BST)

> willing to give it a go.....

I've been using a similar style of printing authentication for some
time with my own patches, currently to netatalk-971027 on solaris. My
implementation makes afpd create a file whose name is the net.node and
content is the username, and creates an advisory lock on it. papd then
tries to open the appropriate file and lock it - if the lock fails it
means there is an afpd session from that net.node and the username in
the file is valid. Rather than looking in a single directory for the
auth files papd enumurates a directory of directories. This enables a
printer server host to NFS mount the auth directories of other afpd
server hosts so a user can print if he is authenticated by one of
several hosts running afpd - the patches and brief instructions are in
ftp://ftp.ncl.ac.uk:/pub/users/ngmt/netatalk.

	Gerry.

---
[email-masked]
Computing Officer
Department of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Tel: +44 191 222 8139
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, United Kingdom.             Fax: +44 191 222 8232