Subject: [netatalk-admins] Solaris 2.6 not connecting

From: "Kenneth Cummins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:43:11 -0500

I've installed netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.1, and the server shows up in the
chooser, and it appears to authenticate properly (it will fail on bad
uname/passwd), but the host seems to disconnect immediately.  The Mac
complains with the error message: "The connection to this server has been
unexpectedly broken"

I can't find any error messages in any logs on the Solaris host.

Any ideas or places to start poking around?

Thanks in advance.

+======================================+
| Kenneth Cummins                      |
| System Administartor                 |
| Buena Vista Internet Group           |
+======================================+
| Kenneth.Cummins AT online.disney.com |
+======================================+
Any opinions expressed are my own, and
do not reflect those of my employer

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:05:51 -0800

Previously...
>Any ideas or places to start poking around?

This has come up a couple times before. Here's some questions:

1) Did you compile with PAM support? Though Solaris ships with PAM and
Sun initiated PAM, netatalk doesn't seem to support PAM on Solaris.
Try recompiling w/o PAM (comment out PAM in the toplevel Makefile).

2) Does the user in question have a shell listed in /etc/shells?

If neither of these helps you, please further provide the following
info.

*   What version of Solaris are we talking about (2.what or is it
    Solaris 7; Sparc, Ultrasparc or Intel; 32-bit or 64-bit)?

*   What authentication are you using: cleartext, randnum, rand2num,
    kerberos? (If you're not sure, the Mac should be telling you when
    you provide the name and password).

HTH
-- 
[email-masked]
I will not strut around like I own the place
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson

---

From: "Kenneth Cummins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:45:58 -0500

Thanks!  That seems to have done it.

I recompiled w/out PAM support, and created an /etc/shells file with the
list of shells, and Bingo!  It works.

FWIW: SS20 (microSparc), Solaris 2.6, cleartext authentication.
I will try to get it running on the new E450 (Solaris 2.6) when I get it up
and running.

Thanks again!