Subject: RE: [netatalk-admins] Yet more ...

From: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:39:59 -0800

> 3. I attempted first to install the 1.4beta w/asun.  No go (could not
>compile, failed at link time looking for some files, 

I'd like to know what those errors were.  Netatalk generally compiles just
fine.

>and so I turnedd to
>a compiled binary from the netatalk HOWTO web site).

Which binary?  Most of the RPMS for Netatalk have had problems with various
setups.  I think there are some that are "good" but I've lost track of them.

>I put various conf files in /etc, etc., and tried to start
>atalkd. Got the following error:
>
>Appletalk not up!  Child exited with 1.

Does the binary want to see the conf files there?  A default build of
Netatalk installs it's conf files into /usr/local/atalk/etc but most of the
RPMS use /etc/atalk.  Netatalk will create it's own conf file (albeit a bare
one) automatically.

>4. So, I deleted all vestiges of 1.4 and downloaded, patched, and
>successfully compiled 1.3.3 (from the Umich source archives).

Yuck.

>10. Same Appletalk not up! error.

That error is the one I get when the module isn't loaded.  Yeah, I know you
don't have module support, but are you sure you've compiled appletalk
support properly?

>All suggestions and comments are very welcome.

There's hopefully something... :)

Marc