Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk/Linux in a NetWare environment

From: Bob James <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 17:26:49 GMT

Several questions for you all:

First, is there a good resource (online or otherwise) where a NetWare 
admin and Linux newbie-admin can read up on Apple networking 
structure? I need to understand how addresses are determined, arranged 
and assigned.

Before I ask any more, let me describe the environment: Primarily a 
NetWare shop (v4.11) at the moment, we have one Linux Mandrake 6.1 
box. Most workstations are Win95/98, but we have two Macs still in 
common use. The server which held most of the Mac material was an 
aging Compaq SystemPro LT (486, 40M RAM) which is being forcibly 
retired due to Y2K. I opted to move all the Mac files to Linux because 
of the lower overhead, and anyone out there who's supporting AppleTalk 
and Mac namespace on a NetWare box knows what I'm talking about. The 
problem is that the older machine was the one that dictated the 
addresses for the AppleTalk portion of the network. I want the Linux 
machine to do that now. In the atalk.conf file, I placed this line:

eth0 -phase 2 -addr 5001.110 -net 5001-5003 -zone "Joiner"

which mirrored the setup from the old NetWare box. However, when I try 
to start the service, the server reported that it could not register 
the addresses. I removed the line, but it still failed, this time due 
to the fact that the machine has two NICs, and one of the segments 
does not have Appletalk running on it. So I placed just    eth0 in the 
atalkd.conf, and it worked, but with an address of 65280/70. How is it 
arriving at that address, and why can't I stipulate the address range?

-- 
Bob James			|mailto:[email-masked]
IS Manager			|http://www.orielinc.com
Oriel Incorporated	|(608) 238-8134 x223

---

From: Tony Stuckey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 14:47:32 -0600

> structure? I need to understand how addresses are determined, arranged 

	The definitive source is "Inside Appletalk", ISBN 0-201-55021-0.

	http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n4709 also describes
the address acquisition process.
-- 
Anthony J. Stuckey                              [email-masked]
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."
	-Robyn Hitchcock.

---

From: Tony Stuckey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 14:47:32 -0600