Subject: [netatalk-admins] access privileges question

From: "Dave Ritter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 14:49:03 -0700

Maybe I'm missing something...

When sharing directories with netatalk, I am trying to emulate a
behavior that I get with AppleShare servers.

With an AppleShare server, I can share a folder and set the owner of the
folder to "Admin", the folder "keeps" the settings that the owner
applies to the window (position, size, sort order, icon view)

Under netatalk, whoever has read/write rights to a folder can change
everything about the shared folder(directory).

Is there any way to set UNIX privileges to emulate the AppleShare
behavior?

I'm using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3
My hardware is a 400mhz K6-3 with 96 megs RAM
I'm using Mandrake 6.0 Linux with a 2.2.9 kernel

I've had lots of problems with the "network trash" issue, the only way I
was able to get around the trash problem was to have all macs access the
server as the same user

Thanks for any help,

Dave Ritter
[email-masked]
www.newtimes.com

---

From: Thomas Riewe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 15:05:55 +0200 (CEST)

what we did in our net is to open the folders once, put the icons
positions views etc and then to close them and to get rid of write perms
on the firste level of the share ...
> was able to get around the trash problem was to have all macs access the
in order to get rid of those we got rid of write perms for temporary items
and network trash ... not nice but works

if you find MUCH better solutions, let me know,
thomas