Subject: [netatalk-admins] Why is netatalk broadcast so much?

From: Nico De Ranter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:19:15 +0100 (MET)

Howdy,

I just installed netatalk on a Linux PC (running Debian potato).
It works however I noticed it's flooding the network with
broadcasts:

...
14:49:04.474038 aarp probe 255.53.203 tell 255.53.203
14:49:04.574020 aarp probe 255.53.204 tell 255.53.204
14:49:04.674018 aarp probe 255.53.205 tell 255.53.205
14:49:04.774008 aarp probe 255.53.206 tell 255.53.206
...
(this goes on and on and on)

It sends *a lot* more broadcast than any Mac on the network.
How I can I prevent it from doing this?

Nico

--------------------------------------------------------
 Three things are certain: Death, taxes, and lost data.  
             Guess which has occurred.
--------------------------------------------------------
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SUPC-E/NSSE)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Nico De Ranter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 08:37:39 +0100 (MET)

It seems indeed that both machines behave in the same way in your case.
What surprises me is that they send a number of aarp requests regarding the
same address and then seem to stop doing that.  If I run "tcpdump | grep aarp"
now I get a whole lot of aarp requests coming from the Linux box but all for
different addresses.  It seems like the Linux box is scanning the whole Mac
address range over and over again.

e.g.:

09:25:13.632803 aarp probe 35.198.94 tell 35.198.94
09:25:13.732801 aarp probe 35.198.95 tell 35.198.95
09:25:13.832848 aarp probe 35.198.96 tell 35.198.96
09:25:13.932813 aarp probe 35.198.97 tell 35.198.97
09:25:14.032808 aarp probe 35.198.98 tell 35.198.98
09:25:14.132806 aarp probe 35.198.99 tell 35.198.99
09:25:14.232811 aarp probe 35.198.100 tell 35.198.100
09:25:14.332810 aarp probe 35.198.101 tell 35.198.101
09:25:14.432804 aarp probe 35.198.102 tell 35.198.102
09:25:14.532788 aarp probe 35.198.103 tell 35.198.103
09:25:14.632784 aarp probe 35.198.104 tell 35.198.104
09:25:14.732787 aarp probe 35.198.105 tell 35.198.105
09:25:14.832782 aarp probe 35.198.106 tell 35.198.106
09:25:14.932772 aarp probe 35.198.107 tell 35.198.107
09:25:15.032759 aarp probe 35.198.108 tell 35.198.108
09:25:15.132780 aarp probe 35.198.109 tell 35.198.109
09:25:15.232743 aarp probe 35.198.110 tell 35.198.110
09:25:15.332780 aarp probe 35.198.111 tell 35.198.111
09:25:15.432767 aarp probe 35.198.112 tell 35.198.112
09:25:15.532746 aarp probe 35.198.113 tell 35.198.113
09:25:15.632781 aarp probe 35.198.114 tell 35.198.114
09:25:15.732749 aarp probe 35.198.115 tell 35.198.115
09:25:15.832750 aarp probe 35.198.116 tell 35.198.116
09:25:15.932742 aarp probe 35.198.117 tell 35.198.117
09:25:16.032746 aarp probe 35.198.118 tell 35.198.118
...

(note: with snoop on a SUN I can see the Ethernet MAC address these packets
are send from so I'm quite sure they're coming from the Linux box)

Nico

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Heinz Nabielek wrote:

> At 10:19 23.11.99 +0100, you wrote:
> >
> >Howdy,
> >
> Attached linuxpcc tcpdump with
> a) MacOS on a 2. networked Mac
> b) MkLinux on a 2. networked Mac
>    during startup
> 
> Heinz
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 

--------------------------------------------------------
 "It has been said that there are only two businesses
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry." 
--------------------------------------------------------
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SUPC-E/NSSE)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: [email-masked]