Subject: [netatalk-admins] Preserving Unix permissions on overwrite

From: Fred Condo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 23:37:32 -0800

I've noticed that afpd turns off the Unix executable bits when 
overwriting, for example, a perl script. This is an annoyance, 
because then you have to go to a shell to put the bits back.

The man pages and FAQs don't say anything about this. Is preserving 
the bits on an existing file just not an option?

---

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 99 08:37:12 -0800

>the bits on an existing file just not an option?
i've worked around this by making scripts have .pl extensions, and 
mapping .pl to TEXT R*ch so i can dubl-click & edit in bbedit. thought i 
was the only person not using vi!

------------
Paul Krohn
San Francisco Examiner Systems Department
110 Fifth Street
San Francisco, CA  94103
415-777-7884
[email-masked] - www.examiner.com