Subject: [netatalk-admins] Solaris 2.7 64-bit

From: Stuart Mackay <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:39:49 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

My setup:

netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3
Sun Ultra 5
Solaris 2.7 (no OS patches) in default 64 bit boot 
cc: WorkShop Compilers 5.0 98/12/15 C 5.0

I have compiled exactly as instructed in Adrian Sun's READMEs, read all the
FAQs and tried the archive of this list (which seems to stop at Apr 1998).

What I get is a 32-bit kernel module which will not load:

add_drv -m '* 0666 root sys' ddp
drvconfig: Driver (ddp) failed to attach
Warning: Driver (ddp) successfully added to system but failed to attach

At (re)boot time, it then says, quite reasonably:
Sep  6 18:58:40 crick unix: NOTICE: ddp: 64-bit driver module not found

I tried turning on 64-bit compilation with -xtarget=ultra -xarch=v9 (and
various combinations of these two) but then compilation fails:

ld: fatal: register symbols used incompatibly, symbol
`' reg: REG_G2         in file `aecho.o'
incompatible with symbol `' reg: REG_G2         in file
  `../../libatalk/libatalk.a(atalk_addr.o)'

ld: fatal: register symbols used incompatibly, symbol
`' reg: REG_G2         in file `aecho.o'
incompatible with symbol `' reg: REG_G3         in file
`../../libatalk/libatalk.a(atalk_addr.o)'

Have I just missed the part that said 64-bit kernels were not supported,
or is there something else I can do ?  I really don't want to run our
file server in 32-bit mode so that appletalk support will work.

Tnaks for any help,
Stuart.

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stuart Mackay                                Voice: +44 (0)141 330 2906
Internet: [email-masked]                FAX: +44 (0)141 330 4419
Lab. A5-26, Chemistry Department, Glasgow University, Glasgow, UK, G12 8QQ