Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and Apple help..

From: John Nanas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:41:54 -0500

Greets to all,

I have a problem providing Mac print services with an NT (yeach) machine
which I've been trying to solve, and have decided to throw Netatalk and
Linux at the problem.  The major problem being my unfamiliarity with
AppleTalk, but I've read up some and now I think I'm ready to give it a
shot.

Here's what I'd like to do..  I have a small Mac lab (25-30 seats) that sit
on a mostly NT network.  The Mac machines are running some type of AppleTalk
over IP which allows them to acquire IP addresses using DHCP and get mail
and internet services from the NT network.

I have a Linux box on which I use Samba to provide print services to the NT
machines.  I would like to add a second ethernet adapter to this machine,
and somewhat isolate that Mac lab.  Routing of AppleTalk IP would be done (I
hope) by the Linux box, and the Macs would rely on the Linux box for print
services.

Do I sound like I'm on my way?  Is there a more comprehensive manual or FAQ
to Netatalk than I've found thus far (which, seems to be very clear - I
haven't actually tried to implement it, since I'm still waiting for another
ethernet adapter for my Linux box, and to speak to the SE who maintains the
Macs), but the configuration files seem to be very confusing to me, even
after reading the man pages.

Anyone with help/suggestions/tips/prior experience?  I would greatly
appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks,
John Nanas

---

From: Netatalk Admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:09:27 -0600 (CST)

Why do you want another ethernet adapter?  I believe you can run netatalk
and samba on the same linux box with no problems.

Perhaps you have some special reason for doing so, but I run Netatalk,
Samba and many other services on my workstation which is a simple Pentium
90.  It runs quite smooth, even when people are transferring large amounts
of data.  A modern day Pentium II or III would probably show far less
load, but that has nothing to do with a extra ethernet adapter.  I even
have an 5 year old ethernet card and it works great.

As long as you have a decent you should be ok and the Netatalk system will
broadcast the services you hope to offer.  What you will have to do is set
up the mac printers in the printcap so the Macs can use them. There are
tutorials online for this sort of thing.

If you need additional help, I am sure this list will have the resources
you need.

And if you just wanted reassurances that you can do what you are hoping to
do, I say from experience that it can be done.  I share this
machine with the Macs on the network and over the internet with
AppleShare IP.  I also have it configured to offer print services to the
Macs, but only on the internal network.  It also runs somewhat as an
applications server.  I have heard of a shop running 50 macs off a
netatalk system and running apps like Quark and Photoshop.  The guy that
was the admin over it said he has had no problems.  The system is very
stable.

It takes care of itself once it is set up.  Have fun with it!

---

From: Eddie Irvine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 10:28:17 +1100

Hi,

> and internet services from the NT network.

Fine - but if you subnet this you may not get DHCP to work and you'll
need to know what you are doing.
 
> hope) by the Linux box, and the Macs would rely on the Linux box for print

Can do.
 
> appreciate any help you could offer.

I'd get it working on the existing net before you try subnetting
(which will mean appletalk zones).