Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Samba/Unix File Management vs. Resource Forks?

From: Robert G Palmer Jr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 08:42:03 -0400

The interesting thing about this whole discussion is that
AFS on NT Server does nothing to handle the situation
of a PC moving a Mac file that has a resource fork.

I remember a couple of years ago, when we were using System 7 
sounds for a bunch of content development, the creative guys 
would come to  me saying their sound files were suddenly of 
size 0 bytes.

Turns out the Mac guys would put the files on the server,
then one of the creative types working on a PC would move
them to a different drive or just move them around and poof,
gone was the resource fork - THE important part of a System 7
sound file.

We pretty much trained the Mac side not to put anything with
a resource fork onto the NT server, except for a volume set
up exclusively for that purpose.  And the PC people were prevented
from moving things found in that "Mac Only" folder.

<<-------------------------------------------------------------->>
Robert G. Palmer, Jr.             1009 Commerce Park Drive
[email-masked]                  Oak Ridge, TN 37830
Development Engineer              Voice: (423)-482-3000
Interactive Pictures Corp.        FAX:   (423)-482-5447
http://www.ipix.com              
               -------------------------------------
Any opinions stated herein are solely mine.  In no way, shape,
or form should they be construed as opinions of my employer.
<<-------------------------------------------------------------->>

---

From: Rob Newberry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 08:38:37 -0500 (EST)

This isn't entirely true.  If you move a Macintosh file with a resource
fork to another NTFS volume, the resource fork (and Finder information)
will travel with it -- on NTFS, all the forks are in one file (very much
like on the Mac).  If, however, the PC guys move it to a FAT volume, then
the resource fork and Finder information will be lost.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:59:59 -0700

The issue of Win95/98 or NT clients moving NT SFM (Services for Macintosh) 
and losing the resource fork is related to NTFS vs. FAT volumes. The NT SFM 
depends on an NTFS volume to maintain the 'Macness' of the file. MS calls 
the file structure multi-streamed files. A Mac SFM file contains (I 
believe) 3 streams for the data fork, resource fork and the custom Finder 
info (i.e. icons).

If a Windows-based operator moves this multi-streamed file from an NTFS 
volume to a FAT volume, Windows Explorer just DOES it - without 
complaining. But, in doing so strips all but the data-fork stream. Moving 
SFM files from NTFS volume to NTFS volume works just fine. We do it all the 
time (even over an IP WAN).

>from moving things found in that "Mac Only" folder.

<------------------------------------------------------------->
| Erik Ohlin   mailto:[email-masked]   (760)438-8933 |
| Pacific Color http://www.pacificcolor.com fax:(760)438-8414 |
|    1916 Palomar Oaks Way, Suite 100, Carlsbad, CA  92008    |
<------------------------------------------------------------->
If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
what fool came up with, "Quit while you're ahead?"