Subject: [netatalk-admins] Progress ... of a sort! LONG (but please read anyway)

From: "J. Guy Stalnaker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 13:13:55 -0600

Hello again.

First, I want to thank everyone who contributed comments to my previous
posts.  Even if I haven't individually acknowledged them, I found much
of value.  I have been forced to go all the way back to basics.  I
deleted all previous executables, config files, and source code and
downloaded (for a fourth attempt) the code from asun.  I worked through
the netatalk-HOWTO, again, and came to the conclusion that I do not have
DES, that I do have tcpwrappers, and that I do need shadow password
support (per the fact that the passwd file contains the x marker where
the incrypted password would be). After compiling yet again and
installing, I now have working TCP/IP, atalkd loads and finds the
AppleTalk network and I can register my machine on the AppleTalk
network.  There is some inconsistency in the way afpd loads AND I still
cannot login as a user on my box either via AppleTalk or ASIP.

Here's my network status as reported by ifconfig.  The only irregularity
I can see is that the eth0 adapter Base address is 0x310 and the Memory
is cc000-d0000 when I know (and the kernel reports on boot time) that
it's configured for 0x300 and cc000-ccfff.  Yet these irregularities
don't seem to affect TCP/IP function (I can send email and ftp and http
to my heart's content).

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          EtherTalk Phase 2 addr:0/0
          UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
          RX packets:46 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:46 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          Collisions:0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:C0:3A:BE:7C
          inet addr:128.104.17.78  Bcast:128.104.19.255
Mask:255.255.252.0
          EtherTalk Phase 2 addr:47032/24
          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:1194627 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:784 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          Collisions:1
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x310 Memory:cc000-d0000

This is where things get difficult.  Appletalk is now compiled as a
loadable module, so I insmod it (for testing purposes for now).  This is
the line from /var/log/messages:

Jan 29 11:43:47 buckland kernel: Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035

Here's what I get when I start atalkd with an atalkd.conf file
containing this line ' eth0 -phase 2 -net 47032-47038 -zone "DoIT Staff"
'.

Jan 29 11:45:32 buckland atalkd[809]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.2)
Jan 29 11:45:34 buckland atalkd[809]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Jan 29 11:45:34 buckland atalkd[809]: rtmp_packet interface mismatch
Jan 29 11:45:34 buckland last message repeated 4 times
Jan 29 11:45:34 buckland atalkd[809]: zip gnireply from 47032.151 (eth0
12)
Jan 29 11:45:34 buckland atalkd[809]: zip_packet configured eth0 from
47032.151
Jan 29 11:45:35 buckland atalkd[809]: zip gnireply from 47036.244 (eth0
b2)
Jan 29 11:45:35 buckland atalkd[809]: zip ignoring gnireply
Jan 29 11:45:42 buckland atalkd[809]: rtmp_packet gateway 47032.151 up
Jan 29 11:45:44 buckland atalkd[809]: rtmp_packet gateway 47036.244 up
Jan 29 11:46:02 buckland atalkd[809]: ready 0/0/0

It works!!  I can also register the box onto the AppleTalk network with
nbprgstr (using the rc.atalk supplied scripts).  On my 8100 Mac, it
shows up in the Chooser in the DoIT Staff zone as expected.

Yet all is not hunky-dory.  Here's what happens when I load afpd (per
/var/log/messages):

Jan 29 11:46:15 buckland papd[820]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.2)
Jan 29 11:46:22 buckland afpd[822]: buckland:AFPServer@* started on
47035.180:128 (1.4b2+asun2.1.2)
Jan 29 11:46:22 buckland afpd[822]: ASIP started on 127.0.0.1:548(1)
(1.4b2+asun2.1.2)

Note that it only seems to start on the loopback IP, despite this line
in the afpd.conf file - "server3 -port 12000 -address 128.104.17.78"  I
cannot login using AppleShareIP from my Mac.  If I type in
128.104.17.78, I get a login prompt dialog, but no values work (but then
again, I cannot login via AppleTalk either).  What's disturbing is that
once upon a time (last night at 15:35, that is), when I started afpd I
got this response with the same afpd.conf file:

Jan 28 18:35:59 buckland afpd[121]: buckland:AFPServer@* started on
47035.180:128 (1.4b2+asun2.1.2)
Jan 28 18:35:59 buckland afpd[121]: ASIP started on 127.0.0.1:548(2)
(1.4b2+asun2.1.2)
Jan 28 18:36:05 buckland afpd[121]: server3:AFPServer@* started on
47035.180:129 (1.4b2+asun2.1.2)
Jan 28 18:36:05 buckland afpd[121]: ASIP started on
128.104.17.78:12000(5) (1.4b2+asun2.1.2)

Unfortunately, I sill could not login, even when afpd started this way.

Here's the reponse in /var/log/messages when papd starts:

Jan 29 11:46:22 buckland papd[820]: register buckland:LaserWriter@*

And here's what gets added to /var/log/messages when I attempt to login
it from my Mac (47035.54):

Jan 29 11:50:01 buckland afpd[833]: session from 47035.54:243 on
47035.180:129
Jan 29 11:50:12 buckland afpd[834]: session from 47035.54:243 on
47035.180:131
Jan 29 11:50:19 buckland afpd[835]: session from 47035.54:243 on
47035.180:132
Jan 29 11:50:19 buckland afpd[835]: login noauth
Jan 29 11:50:22 buckland afpd[833]: 0.04KB read, 0.00KB written
Jan 29 11:50:22 buckland afpd[822]: server_child[0] 833 done
Jan 29 11:50:24 buckland afpd[835]: done
Jan 29 11:50:24 buckland afpd[822]: server_child[0] 835 done
Jan 29 11:50:32 buckland afpd[836]: ASIP session:548(1) from
128.104.19.99:2134(2)
Jan 29 11:50:32 buckland afpd[822]: server_child[1] 836 done
Jan 29 11:50:33 buckland afpd[834]: 0.04KB read, 0.00KB written
Jan 29 11:50:33 buckland afpd[822]: server_child[0] 834 done
Jan 29 11:50:36 buckland afpd[837]: ASIP session:548(1) from
128.104.19.99:2135(2)
Jan 29 11:50:36 buckland afpd[837]: 0.08KB read, 0.05KB written
Jan 29 11:50:36 buckland afpd[822]: server_child[1] 837 done
Jan 29 11:50:42 buckland afpd[838]: ASIP session:548(1) from
128.104.19.99:2136(2)
Jan 29 11:50:42 buckland afpd[838]: 0.08KB read, 0.05KB written
Jan 29 11:50:42 buckland afpd[822]: server_child[1] 838 done
Jan 29 11:50:47 buckland afpd[839]: ASIP session:548(1) from
128.104.19.99:2137(2)
Jan 29 11:50:47 buckland afpd[839]: login noauth
Jan 29 11:50:50 buckland afpd[839]: logout
Jan 29 11:50:50 buckland afpd[839]: 0.09KB read, 0.08KB written
Jan 29 11:50:50 buckland afpd[822]: server_child[1] 839 done

What's maddening, is that I CAN login to a telnet session *from my Mac*
with both of my test user accounts, and be logged, in when my attempt to
get there via AppleTalk fails.

I've rarely dealt with something so aggravating as getting this service
installed and working. I hate to beg, but I will.

I'll take copies of AppleVolumes.default, AppleVolumes.system,
afpd.conf, atalkd.conf, and the three netatalk Makefile files from
anyone who's willing to send them my way.  Surely someone out there has
this working in an environment like mine (Slackware 3.6, kernel 2.0.36).
Also, the rpm for RedHat includes a 'config' file that's not afpd.conf
or atalkd.conf.  Anyone know how it's used/parsed and by what?

I'm on my hands and knees begging (well, maybe not on my hands yet ;-)

Guy
*-------------------------------------------------------------*
                        J. Guy Stalnaker
 DoIT-Emerging Media Tech.              [email-masked]
 5752 Tokay Blvd., Suite 200                  wk. 608.263.8035
 Madison WI 53719-1220                        fax 608.265.6681
*-------------------------------------------------------------*