Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Problem building netatalk

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:12:43 EDT

Well, the make of this version went a lot further than last night's. This 
time I get this error...

make[4]: Entering directory 
`/home/andrew/dist/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/etc/afpd'
gcc  -DNEED_QUOTACTL_WRAPPER   -DUAM_RNDNUM -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer 
-fsigned-char -Wunused -Wuninitialized -I../../include   -I/usr/local/include 
  -DUSE_PAM -DAPPLCNAME  -o afpd unix.o afs.o kuam.o send_to_kdc.o lifetime.o 
ofork.o main.o switch.o auth.o volume.o directory.o file.o enumerate.o 
desktop.o filedir.o fork.o appl.o gettok.o bprint.o status.o afp_options.o 
afp_asp.o afp_dsi.o messages.o config.o nfsquota.o codepage.o 
-L../../libatalk    -L/usr/local/lib   -latalk   -ldes  -lrpcsvc -lwrap -lpam 
-ldl 
ld: cannot open -ldes: No such file or directory
make[4]: *** [afpd] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory 
`/home/andrew/dist/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/etc/afpd'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory 
`/home/andrew/dist/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/etc/afpd'
make[2]: *** [afpd] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/andrew/dist/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/etc'
make[1]: *** [../../etc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory 
`/home/andrew/dist/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/sys/linux'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Is this "des" as in encryption? If so, is there a package I need to install?

Thanks again!

Andrew Robinson

In a message dated 4/29/99 12:08:16 AM, [email-masked] writes:

>Although note that the version mentioned there is not the latest.  You'll
>find
>the latest here:
> ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3.tar.gz
>
>[email-masked] wrote:
>
>> I am trying to build netatalk on a linux box (Mandrake Linux 2.0.36,
>seems to
>> look a lot like RedHat). I am getting the error
>>

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 23:29:38 -0400

> Is this "des" as in encryption? If so, is there a package I

yes.  you need to get des package.  if you are running redhat, go to
www.replay.com or ftp.replay.com and get the des rpm package then install
it.  if you don't trust them, then get the des src rpm package, and make
your own rpm package.

alex

---

From: Jonathan Benson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:42:56 +1000

> Is this "des" as in encryption? If so, is there a package I need to install?

Yes.  There is a package but you don't NEED to install it.  If you don't want to
install it just comment our the relevant line from the Makefile.

Ie:
DESDIR=/usr/local
becomes
#DESDIR=/usr/local

If you'd followed the instructions from the HOW-TO then you wouldn't have had
this problem.  The URL again:
http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/

The HOW-TO also has info on where to get the file DES libraries if you want to
install them, although there is little point if your not going to use encrypted
passwords.

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Benson B.Eng. (Soft Sys Hon) <[email-masked]>
Systems Administrator, Phoenix Magazines, Phone: +61 3 9696 7200
http://www.phoenixmags.com.au/