Subject: [netatalk-admins] printing authentication

From: "Chris Schwan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 11:51:09 -0700

Hello;

I was wondering if it is possible to set up print spools under
netatalk/linux that were available to Mac clients in the chooser that
required some sort of authentication. We are despretely trying to cut down
on printer over usage at our site and this is one of the things that we are
tossing around as an idea. Another would be trying to enforce quotas on
print spools.

Is any of this possible?

Thanks in Advance!

Chris Schwan.

---

From: "Jeremy J. Reichman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 13:39:45 -0400

Chris, using the latest LaserWriter drivers from Apple, you should be
able to authenticate. I haven't used them to do this, but this is a
major feature (and corresponding feature request) that Apple has gotten
about its drivers.

The LaserWriter 8.6.x drivers or later will supposedly allow access to
such restricted print queues at the time of printing. It'll print to any
PostScript printer.

This may only work over LPR; I don't know. LaserWriter also supports
that as of v8.5.1 and later. Of course, for authentication, you'll want
the newer versions. Authentication may only work with AppleShare IP 6;
I'm not sure.

You can d/l the latest LaserWriter driver at:

<http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11312>

-- 
Jeremy J. Reichman, aka "Jaharmi"
Software Specialist (Mac OS)
ISC Client Support Services
Information and Technology Services
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester, New York, USA

Voice                       (716) 475-HELP (4357)
TTY                         (716) 475-2810
Fax                         (716) 475-5306
World Wide Web              <http://www.rit.edu/~jjracc/>
                            <http://macos.rit.edu/>
Electronic mail             <mailto:[email-masked]>

For computer-related questions at RIT, make the ISC HelpDesk your first
point of contact; it's available by:
-   voice at (716) 475-HELP (4357)
-   TTY at (716) 475-2810
-   electronic mail to "[email-masked]"
-   World Wide Web at <http://www.rit.edu/isc/>
-   walk-up in the Frank E. Gannett Bldg
    (Room 1113, right off the main lobby).