Subject: [netatalk-admins] Solaris 2.6/FDDI problem

From: Victoria Grace Landgraf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 12:23:45 +1300 (NDT)

All --

  I'm running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 with Solaris 2.6 on an ultra 450
with a SunFDDI/P adapter.  Appleshare over IP works fine, but atalk does
not.  The most obvious symptoms are that the netatalk server does not
appear in the chooser, and that nbp_rgstr reports 'Connection timed out'
when it tries to start.  An NT server running Mac file services on the
same fddi ring does appear in choosers throughout the network (most of
which is ethernet), so I doubt that it's a routing problem.

  When I start with just 'pf0' in atalkd.conf it gets filled in as
pf0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.62

  Syslog sez:
May 28 22:57:44 illusion atalkd[17682]: zip_getnetinfo for pf0
May 28 22:58:20 illusion last message repeated 36 times
May 28 22:58:21 illusion atalkd[17682]: config for no router
May 28 22:58:23 illusion atalkd[17682]: setsockopt incompatible w/ Solaris
STREAMS module.
May 28 22:58:24 illusion atalkd[17682]: rtmp_packet router has become
available
May 28 22:58:24 illusion atalkd[17682]: zip_getnetinfo for pf0
May 28 22:59:00 illusion last message repeated 36 times
May 28 22:59:01 illusion atalkd[17682]: config for no router
May 28 22:59:03 illusion atalkd[17682]: setsockopt incompatible w/ Solaris
STREAMS module.
May 28 22:59:04 illusion atalkd[17682]: rtmp_packet router has become
available
  over and over and over again until I shut down atalkd.  I've been
ignoring the setsockopt complaint because it didn't seem to affect another
machine which worked fine (but which was an x86 box with an ethernet
adapter, so quite different hardware), but of course I now wonder whether
that's wise.  I've seen mention of a 'setsockopt' patch.  What does that
do?

  Is there any documentation about atalkd debug modes?  I recompiled with
-DDEBUG and managed to get what seemed like a dump of incoming packets
(which I'll be happy to post if it might help, but it's kind of long)
by running atalkd -d as a previous message on this list had mentioned, but
is there any way to see what's getting sent out as well?  Or to find out
what atalkd is doing with those packets?  Or for that matter, how to
interpret them?

  I don't have a fddi sniffer available, so I'm not sure where to go from
here in terms of gathering more information.  Does this problem look
familiar to anyone?  Help?

  Full of questions,

    Victoria Landgraf
    [email-masked]

---

From: Stefan Bethke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 03:01:51 +0200

> pf0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.62

I'm not totally sure, but Sun has a sad history of not supporting 802.3
frames properly in new NICs.  They manage to botch it each time they
produce a new one (started with the OEMed FDDI adapters, and continued over
qfe and Gigabit adapters).  Try to upgrade to the newest driver version if
possible.

Technical background: although FDDI uses 802.3 frames *exclusively*, the
kernel architecture for IP is (was?) made for Ethernet II frames only.  Sun
made a sample driver for a FDDI card available to developers that patched
the frame from 802.3 to Ethernet II on receipt and vice versa on transmit.
Only problem in the sample code: they patched all frames, even non-IP,
valid 802.3 frames (such as AppleTalk uses).

On the other hand, it might be a totally unrelated problem.  Have you tried
to run netatalk on the Ethernet interface?

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Muehlendamm 12            Phone: +49-40-256848, +49-177-3504009
D-22087 Hamburg           <[email-masked]>
Hamburg, Germany          <[email-masked]>