Subject: [netatalk-admins] bgp0.9a-patches

From: "Michael Mercier" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:41:56 -0700

Does anyone out there know the author of this patch for netatalk+asun?
I found a link to it on the netatalk Faq-O-Matic but there was no email
address available on the web page.

Thanks
Mike

---

From: Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:37:11 -0700

I have a Linux (RedHat) system running netatalk for user home directories
and two additional volumes: /homes itself, and another "folder".

I want to be able to back this stuff up, and I don't want to lose anything.

The backup machine is currently a G3 PowerMac running 8.5 and Retrospect.
It's the backup machine because it has the CD-R drive and the DAT drive.

Is there anything I can do that's clean and simple?

I could try to convince the company to buy a DAT drive to hang off the
Linux server...

I could write some script that cron would use to push the files over FTP to
the G3 (after installing an FTP server on the G3)...

I could write a similar script to pull the files over FTP from the Linux
server to the G3...

But is there anything I can do with the netatalk stuff?

- Vicki
-- --
       |\      _,,,---,,_       Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
 ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_   Journeyman Sourceror: Scripts & Philtres
      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'  P.O. Box 1269  San Bruno  CA  94066
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb  http://www.macperl.com

---

From: satadru pramanik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 15:34:05 -0400 (EDT)

What we do currently is mount the drives via netatalk, and then do a
retrospect backup, though we plan on moving to just getting a tape drive
to backup, as it's usually important to backup up your /etc and other
important sysconfig directories regularly, and I don't think anybody would
recommend mounting critical system directories ( ie /etc/rc.d ) via
netatalk.   ( I think think that this has been disabled for the most part
by not letting root login via netatalk though.)

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Vicki Brown wrote:

- Vicki
-- --

--=
satadru pramanik [email-masked]' www.umich.edu/~satadru
MIS, Student Publications
"I'm old enough to be living in the future I was warned about."
  - Myron Krueger
=--

---

From: Ron Chmara <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 1999 13:04:37 -0700

> Is there anything I can do that's clean and simple?

Mount /homes and folder on the G3 desktop.
Backup with retrospect.

I really don't know why people make this so hard...

> I could try to convince the company to buy a DAT drive to hang off the

Seems a bit pricy.

> the G3 (after installing an FTP server on the G3)...

Macsynchronize on G3, if you want a mirror.

> But is there anything I can do with the netatalk stuff?

Not yet, afaik.... are you looking for an ASIP client?

-Bop

---

From: Mike Holling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:21:35 -0700 (PDT)

> I really don't know why people make this so hard...

I've run into some problems doing this with a FreeBSD P100 server.
Something goes awry when Retrospect tries to backup large directory
structures (with thousands of filename entries).  Backing up each
individual directory is fine, but trying to do the entire tree results in
lots of mystery errors about missing files, and the backup ultimately
fails.  We're currently using Retrospect's duplicate function to first
dupe the netatalk volume onto a local disk, then dumping that to tape.
No clue why the dupe function doesn't have the filename problem.  The
other advantage of this approach is that AppleTalk tends to be too slow to
keep the tape streaming, so you get much better utilization with the
two-step approach.  The only drawback is needing a large "holding disk" on
the backup mac.

- Mike