Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Mac/Samba translation, etc.

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:41:59 -0800

step 1 - download a stufit file onto an nt box. i assume this is done as 
a binary ftp, otherwise you would never be able to read the file later.

step 2 - then you copy it to a samba/linux setup. i assume this is an 
always-binary situation.

step 3 - copying the file to your mac (why didn't you download to here in 
the first place?) make sure you have an entry in AppleVolumes.system like 
this:

.ext TYPE CREA

or

.sit    SIT!    SIT!

which is the default entry - have you made this file world readable? it 
isn't by default, a little gotcha to make sure you were paying attention!

this makes sure that the file is transferred as binary _and_ it had the 
correct file type/creator code once it arrives at the macintosh.

congratulations ... you are now an expert in cross-platform networking.

for filemker files ... you'll have to invent your own entry, assuming you 
know how to get the  type/creator codes and the file name extension for 
filemaker files in windoze:

.fmp FIMA FIMA

or whatever.

> Hello--
> 
> I'm having some problems which have been brought up on this list before,
> but for which no answers have been given.
> 
> Here's my problem.
> 
> Let's say I download a StuffIt archive from the 'net.  And suppose I
> download this onto my NT box.  Then I copy it to my Samba-mounted Linux
> box.  Finally, I use Netatalk to copy the file to my Mac, then I attempt to
> open the file which now resides on my Mac.  Somehow this file becomes
> irreparably trashed during these copy phases and I can't use it.  However,
> let's say I, instead of using Netatalk or Samba, force my ftp client to
> send the file to my Linux box with ftp, in binary mode.  Then I use fetch
> to download the file as a binary and assign the correct creator/type to it.
>  Voila!  It works!
> 
> This happens also for FileMaker Pro Files, which is especially annoying
> considering I actually would like to have these files simply reside on the
> server where I can open my database on either platform.  Any ideas?
> 
> Jonathan
> file type/creator froma macintosh file, and know the extension for filemaker 
files in 

Paul Krohn
San Francisco Examiner - Systems Department
110 Fifth Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
415-777-7884 [email-masked]