Subject: [netatalk-admins] Questions...

From: "Kimon Tsinteris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 17:55:22 -0500

Hello,

I just started trying to network my linux box and a G3 together. Basically I
only have one IP and I was hopping my linux box would get that, and then be
an internet, file and print server for my mac. Basically, I am very new to
the aspect of networking computers together.

So far this is what I have. My linux box has two NICs in it. I was hopping
one would be connected to the Internet and the other just to my mac
(basically a daisy chain). Is this the right way to go about it? I basically
proceeded to install Netatalk and even dhcpd even though at that point I am
really over my head. I am not sure if I even need dhcpd because I only have
one other computer I am trying to network with and I presume could just as
easily assign static IPs. While on the topic of IPs... exactly what do I
want to assign my card that will be interfacing with the Mac, and likewise
for the Mac's card?

Currently Netatalk gives me an error that it cannot register Workstation@
and then proceeds on while it boots. But, I am thinking I have a lot of
configuring to do before any error message actually means much.

Thanks in advance,
Kimon

---

From: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:27:44 -0800

Kimon Tsinteris wrote:

> Basically, I am very
> new to

And you have a Linux box?!? <grin>

This is kinda off topic for netatalk-admins but what the heck.

> (basically a daisy chain). Is this the right way to go about it?

Yes.  Basically what you want to do is set up "IP Masquerading"  There
are HOWTOs and websites dedicated to it (tho I can't think of any
specific URLs off the top of my head).

What IP Masq gets you is the ability to set up a private network using a
Linux box as a gateway to talk to the Internet.  My home is set up
exactly like that.  I have a Linux box that is a netatalk server, and it
runs IP Masq and connects to the Internet via PPP.  My mac(s) connect to
the Internet through it.  To the outside world I use just one IP address
even though each "inside" machine has it's own "non-routing" IP address.

> I
> basically
> really over my head.

I run DHCP because I'm lazy :) and I wanted to see how it worked.  You
really don't need to, you can set your IP addresses manually.

> While on the topic of IPs... exactly what do
> I

That's covered very nicely in the IP Masq HOWTO.

> configuring to do before any error message actually means much.

This is probably because your network is in a bit of disarray while you
sort out you IP addresses and such :).

Marc
-- 
Marc Matteo
Web Engineer, The Sacramento Bee
http://www.sacbee.com
"We're a newspaper, we don't actually own any bees."

---

From: Chris Dircks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:01:51 -0800 (PST)

> specific URLs off the top of my head).

very likely, (if you have installed the how-to packages/rpms)
you have a file /usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade
that explains well what to do.

chrisd