Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk without any other apple boxes on the network

From: Russell Kliese <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 23:51:37 +1000 (GMT+1000)

I have a linux box and a laserwriter IIg. It looked as though netatalk
would provide the conenction I needed between my linux box and the
ethertalk port on the back of the printer. However, now I am unsure.

Will netatalk work stand-alone and allow me to connect to the laserwriter?
Or do I need another apple box. No examples of setting up netatalk that I
have found so far treat the case of only a linux box and printer.

I would be grateful if someone could help me out or point me to some
information that might help. (e.g. how do I know what the printer name is
or is that something that needs to be assigned by netatalk etc. ? )

Thanks in advance,

Russell Kliese

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 19:20:26 +0200

>or is that something that needs to be assigned by netatalk etc. ? )

First make sure that atalkd runs, this is the only one you need.

Next, type nbplkup and take a look at the printer's name.

Create a queue-dir for the printer and put a file named .paprc into this dir, containing the name of the printer, followed by an @ and an asterisk. No quotes are needed, even if the name contains spaces.

Edit /etc/printcap. lp=/dev/null:of=/wherever/sendtopap

Edit /wherever/sendtopap:

#!/bin/sh
/path/to/pap/pap -e -sstatus

Kick lpd's butt (lpc restart all) and try to print a PostScript file. I don't think that this printer will accept anything but PostScript.

:wq! PoC