Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk on a 2 interface Linux box

From: Thierry de Villeneuve <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 12:37:08 -0800

Hello. I'm new to the list and haven't find (yet) archives on posters on the same subject. I'm sorry to to repost the following.

Problems:

 1/ server won't show in chooser, but can be called giving IP/name
 2/ private network freeze, as well as Mac, for few seconds every 
    few minutes.

---

I'm running Netatalk on a multi homed Linux box with RedHat 5.2, kernel 2.0.36, netatalk1.42b_asun2.1.6 

  eth0 goes to my cable modem through DHCP
  eth1 goes to my private network - 192.168.1.0

I'm running named on the box authoritative on my private net.

AppleVolumes.default contains 2 lines
~ Home
/home/atalk "My share"

I type into atalkd.conf only "eth1". Later, it gets rewritten with "phase", "net" and "addr". There is no way I can set up any zone name as atalkd.conf docs says.

How can I set up a Zone name ?

---

When atalk gets started it picks up the hostname from eth0 (the way I let my DHCP connection to let go).

My problem is that no server shows up in the chooser of my Mac on my private net.

If I enter the server's address I get the share showing up and I can mount a volume.

note: I can indistinctively call the server by either it's name on eth0 or its name on eth1.

Later, my eth1 network is locked up for a few seconds every minute or so. IT freezes the Mac.
Unmounting any network volume, not shuttong down atalkd won't stop this. I have to rebooot the gateway/server.

My /var/log/messages goes like this (see bottom of mail):

Is there anything a "trained eye" can spot into this that could help me?
 - I wonder about the "*" in "dt043n66:AFPServer@*"
 - I wonder I may have problem with the fact my box is dual homed and atalkd picking up the wrong interface's name.

That makes a lot of questions.

 Any help, URL, trick will be welcomed.

Thanks,
Thierry

11:54:11 kernel: Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035
11:54:11 atalkd[473]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.2)
11:54:12 atalkd[473]: zip_getnetinfo for eth1
11:54:31 last message repeated 2 times
11:54:41 atalkd[473]: config for no router
11:54:42 atalkd[473]: ready 0/0/0
11:54:54 papd[484]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.2)
11:55:01 afpd[493]: dt043n66:AFPServer@* started on 65280.207:128 
11:55:01 afpd[493]: ASIP started on 204.210.30.102:548(1) (1.4b2+asun2.1.2)
11:55:50 afpd[494]: ASIP session:548(1) from 192.168.1.50:2067(2)
11:55:50 afpd[493]: server_child[1] 494 done
11:55:54 afpd[495]: ASIP session:548(1) from 192.168.1.50:2068(2)
11:55:54 afpd[495]: login noauth
12:13:30 dhcpcd[157]: got in RENEWING state
12:13:30 dhcpcd[157]: got in BOUND state
12:13:52 kernel: eth1: Transmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000.
12:13:52 kernel: eth1: Trying to restart the transmitter...
12:15:24 kernel: eth1: Transmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000.
12:15:24 kernel: eth1: Trying to restart the transmitter...
12:18:07 kernel: eth1: Transmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000.
12:18:07 kernel: eth1: Trying to restart the transmitter...
12:18:08 kernel: eth1: Transmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000.
12:18:08 kernel: eth1: Trying to restart the transmitter...
12:18:13 kernel: eth1: Transmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000.
12:18:13 kernel: eth1: Trying to restart the transmitter...
12:18:25 kernel: eth1: Transmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000.
12:18:25 kernel: eth1: Trying to restart the transmitter...
12:18:28 kernel: eth1: Transmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000.
12:18:28 kernel: eth1: Trying to restart the transmitter...
12:18:31 kernel: eth1: Transmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000.
12:18:31 kernel: eth1: Trying to restart the transmitter...
12:18:38 kernel: eth1: Transmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000.
12:18:38 kernel: eth1: Trying to restart the transmitter...
12:18:40 kernel: eth1: Transmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000.
12:18:40 kernel: eth1: Trying to restart the transmitter...
12:19:29 afpd[495]: logout
12:19:29 afpd[495]: 1.59KB read, 2.43KB written
12:19:29 afpd[493]: server_child[1] 495 done
12:29:29 kernel: eth1: Transmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000.
12:29:29 kernel: eth1: Trying to restart the transmitter...
12:31:55 afpd[493]: shutting down on signal 15
12:31:55 dt3n66 atalkd[473]: done

=== eom =============================================================
Thierry de Villeneuve                             San Diego, CA 92128
home e-mail [email-masked]                 voice +1 (619) 679-3366
prof e-mail [email-masked]        fax +1 (619) 679-3395
http://users.abac.com/thierryv/                  http://www.efsd.org/

---

From: Sascha Knific <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 02:23:29 +0100

At 12:37 07.03.99 -0800, Thierry de Villeneuve wrote:
>Hello. I'm new to the list and haven't find (yet) archives on posters on the 
>same subject. I'm sorry to to repost the following.
>

Hi hi,

>2.0.36, netatalk1.42b_asun2.1.6

Whow, you are faster then Adrian. The latest release I got today was pre-
asun-2.1.4 ;-)))))))))))

>AppleVolumes.default contains 2 lines

That´s fine...

>I type into atalkd.conf only "eth1". Later, it gets rewritten with "phase", 
>"net" and "addr". There is no way I can set up any zone name as atalkd.conf 
>docs says.
>

Why do you want zones? You need zones to set up routing (AppleTalk ones -
not IP)
between different networks. Do you want to make your network public? (I
don´t think
so ;--)))) Since one of the last asun releases we have multiple zones on
one interface. 

I don´t know how to set them up (maybe with nbprgstr - does anybody know?).

>DHCP connection to let go).

You can set up the name netatalk uses manually - look in your startup script 
"atalk" and change the part in witch hostname gets called. (This is one of the
solutions).

>If I enter the server's address I get the share showing up and I can mount a 

So you have AppleTalk over IP but no EtherTalk...

>note: I can indistinctively call the server by either it's name on eth0 or 

That´s was named does...
Named gets your local name by your definition and the public one by the
name server of you ISP (ok, this could be one answer - DNS is complex).

>Later, my eth1 network is locked up for a few seconds every minute or so. IT 

????
Try the rest of my advises - maybe it goes away ;----)))))))))))

Maybe you should concern to make you privat network eth0 (it´s yours and it
should be the first on ;----))).

>have to rebooot the gateway/server.

Why do you have to restart the server? Do the Macs still freeze after you´ve
restarted them??

Could be a problem with the network card. Check also the remark at the end 
of this mail.

>picking up the wrong interface's name.

I´m running a couple of boxes like this but with ISDN and not cable-modems.

The message you get is just the info that netatalk registered itself as AFP
Server
(File Server) with the given name and on no zone ("@*"). The name is not the
problem (you can pass any name to netatalk). Maybe netatalk advertises itself
on eth0.

> Any help, URL, trick will be welcomed.

Try this:

1. Set your name manually in script atalk.

2. atalk.conf (created by atalkd):
just leave the eth1... line a add "-seed" after "eth1 ". remove eth0 line.

3. afpd.conf
---
"BigMac" -transall -address <IP-Address of you Linux box - private side>
---

>12:18:40 kernel: eth1: Trying to restart the transmitter...

Do you have an Intel EtherExpress (Pro)?!!!!!!!!!

Check out for a new driver (at cesdis) and(/or???) apply the following patch:
(or us a tulip based card ;--)))))
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------
On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Michael H. Martel wrote:

> I'm running RedHat 5.2 on an intel Celeron 333 w/Intel EtherExpress Pro
> 10/100 card.  When I fire up the latest version from a sun I get the
> following message :
> 
> 	eth0: Transmit timed out: Status 0050 Command 0000.
> 	eth0: Trying to restart the transmitter ...

Add this line to your /etc/conf.modules file, reboot, and all should be
well:

	options eepro100 multicast_filter_limit=3

The 1.0.3 eepro driver that ships with RH 5.2 doesn't support multicast
properly.

-Jamie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------

>http://users.abac.com/thierryv/                  http://www.efsd.org/

Good luck...

Sascha Knific

---

From: Sascha Knific <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 03:46:15 +0100

Hi Thierry,

I know how frustrating it is to mess around with bad working NICs. I was
doing this with a 3c900 combo for a couple of month - there switches are
nice but the NICs..... (poor Donald Becker - he does all the drivers also
the tulip driver). Do you know how is producing the tulip chip??? It´s Intel
;---))) - not a joke. I have a P166 running with and Apple (!!!) 100 Mbit 
Card (also tulip) - pretty stable.

With this I´m beating all Win NT Services for Mac and also this extension 
for Win NT to do AT over IP. It´s a great work Adrian does....

I´m glad I could help you.

Regards

Sascha

At 14:47 15.03.99 -0800, Thierry de Villeneuve wrote:
>Sascha
>
>Thanks for your input on this.
>
>As a follow-up, I can tell you I dumped the eepro100 cards and got them
>replaced by Tulip based NICs (Lynksys 82L169 PNIC). Other friends at
>lthe local Linux user group told me about intrinsic limitation of the
>eepro100 chip and not to rely on it.
>
>Netatalk runs smoothly and my private net doesn't freeze.
>
>Now I'm testing if none of my data get corrupted before installing a
>bigger drive on my netatalk server.
>
>Your help has been crucial to me. Thanks a lot again
>
>Thierry
>
>
>[email-masked] wrote:
>> 
>> >When atalk gets started it picks up the hostname from eth0 (the way I
let my
>> >DHCP connection to let go).
>> 
>> >My problem is that no server shows up in the chooser of my Mac on my
private
>> >net.
>> >If I enter the server's address I get the share showing up and I can
mount a
>> >volume.
>> >Later, my eth1 network is locked up for a few seconds every minute or
so. IT
>> >freezes the Mac.
>> > - I wonder I may have problem with the fact my box is dual homed and
atalkd
>> >picking up the wrong interface's name.
>>