Subject: [netatalk-admins] PPD files on server

From: System Administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:47:45 +0100 (MET)

Hi, I have a question about the PPD files kept on the netatalk server.
My papd.conf looks like:

[edv] Tek Phaser 560@Uni-Med-Neurophysiologie:\
	:pr=|/usr/local/bin/lpr -lPtek560 -Jpapd -Unetatalk:\
	:op=netatalk:\
	:pd=/usr/local/share/PPD/TKP560P1.PPD:

[edv] HP 4000@Uni-Med-Neurophysiologie:\
	:pr=|/usr/local/bin/lpr -lPhp4000 -Jpapd -Unetatalk:\
	:op=netatalk:\
	:pd=/usr/local/share/PPD/HP LaserJet 4000 Series:

This works, but I don't understand the duplicity of PPD files on the server
and on the client.  I have the same PPD files on the client and on the
server.  Is this necessary?

What I want is a way to set the values for extra features in the printers
(like extra memory, what trays available, what media) at ONE place and
have all the client Macs see this.  I have done this
in the PPD files on the server, but the clients don't get the values.

What does netatalk actually do with the PPD files on the server?  It seems
repetitious.

Thanks,

..Howard

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dipl.-Phys. H.Schultens     Tel: +49 551 39-5914
Zentrum Physiologie         FAX: +49 551 39-5923
Humboldtallee 23
37073 Goettingen  email: [email-masked]
Germany          WWW: http://www.neuro-physiol.med.uni-goettingen.de
--------------------------------------------------------------------