Subject: [netatalk-admins] Sherlock/netatalk/HFS+

From: Harry Zink <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:52:26 -0800

Sherlock:

> so i'm
> not sure if it's actually netatalk's fault. 

I don't particularly think that the fault lies with *ANYONE* in this 
regard, but rather the trick would be to find out what Sherlock does (or 
rather, looks for), to make it work.

Bear in mind, Win NT works fine with Sherlock.

I'm tempted to theorize that Sherlock looks for something, that netatalk 
doesn't provide, or doesn't provide the way Sherlock wants it - and it's 
most likely related to Sherlock depending on index files to do its work.

How does Sherlock generate index files, and what parts of the Apple File 
System does Sherlock use in order to create the index links? (mind you, 
if 'finds' the files just fine, it just can't link back to them, that's 
the problem. Furthermore, it *CAN* link back to DIRECTORIES that it 
found, just not files.

The biggest piece of suck about Sherlock right now is that it doesn't let 
you create index' for remote volumes (Apparently ASIP 6.1 does that 
independently on the server), but I guess Apple needs some kind of 
competitive edge.. :-)

HFS+:

I read that adrian has taken over development/maintenance of the HFS file 
system module from whoever was working on it before. That's great news, 
but even greater news is that Apple opened up some of their source to 
MacOS X (notably the part that contains HFS and HFS+ code), so this could 
be beneficial for the HFS project as well.

http://www.macintouch.com/

--> "[Jonathan Hendry] "HFS Plus is definitely there. This is from the 
'hfs' project. Other files in the project deal with Unicode and Japanese, 
which NeXT's old regular HFS implementation never handled.... "

http://www.publicsource.apple.com/

Harry