Subject: [netatalk-admins] type -50 error

From: "Lance Hart" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:38:12 -0500

None of the solutions have worked.  I should give you guys 
some more detail.

I do the following to the dirs I create:

chown root.[group] [directory]
chmod 770 [directory]
chmod g+s [directory]

This works great on the Samba side.  Is there a way to force
file permissions in Netatalk like you can do in samba.

I guess in the case I am in the files need to be written with the 
following permissions:

-rwxrw----

But I need to know how to force this with Netatalk.

This sound right?

-Lance

---

From: Philip Bertuglia <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 14:36:08 -0500 (EST)

A far as I know, You can not "Force" any permissions using afpd. You hit on
my biggest complaint with netatalk. The simple problem is, only root can
force a mode and ownership change and afpd children never run as root.

do 

ps aux

and look at who owns smbd (root) and afpd (enduser)

stinks eh?

Phil

---

From: Brian Bergstrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:35:36 -0600 (CST)

> But I need to know how to force this with Netatalk.

I have this exact setup on my machine, and it works fine.
Just make sure all of your users are in the group
that is the owner of the dir.

You only need to set SGID on the parent dir, then all
sub-dirs/files will be created with the same permissions.

PS. 'chmod 2770 dir' will accomplish the same thing
in one step.

-- 
Brian Bergstrand
Systems Programmer Northern Illinois University
Use the Source, Luke.

---

From: Philip Bertuglia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 14:10:29 -0500 (EST)

I am glad that you have it working. Could you please expand this part for
me? I don't fully understand what you mean here.

>that is the owner of the dir.

Thank you.

Philip

---

From: "P T Withington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 13:14:24 -0500

> > chown root.[group] [directory]

You need to make sure your user's umask is 002 not 022, or the files they create will not be shareable.

The users all have to be in the group.

Use the -R option to fix up existing files.