Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] PAP end-of-job timeouts?

From: "Frank Morton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 10:56:51 -0500

>Try adding "-E" to the pap command in lp2pap.sh.  There are a variety
>of printers (I'm guessing the ones where Adobe wrote the PAP
>implementation) that don't send EOF on the channel when the job is done
>printing.  This is a protocol violation, and very inconvenient for
>error reporting.

In this case, how does pap know then the job is completed?

And say an error message is generated right at the end of printing,
will pap wait for it?

Thank you very much for this answer.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 11:32:25 -0500

> From:    "Frank Morton" <[email-masked]>
> To:      <[email-masked]>

> And say an error message is generated right at the end of printing,

It doesn't know, and the error is lost.  This is why pap implements the
protocol correctly.  At some point, Apple (or Adobe, probably) changed
the Laserwriter driver to not wait for the printer's EOF.  This made
Mac printing suddenly faster, since a job could be loaded in the
printer's memory, long before the engine ripped it.  Printers that came
out after this change (particularly those using Abode's PAP
implementation) would sometimes get confused and never send EOF.  Very
frustrating, as this was when just about the time we were adding
accounting to netatalk.  In any case, we changed the default in psf to
reduce the number of "why does lpd hang" messages we get to the list.

:wes