Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk on OS X

From: Lewis Pennock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 99 14:08:19 -0500

Whoops, sorry Ryan, I didn't realize you had been posting to this list 
too.  My e-mail client was throwing all mail with the 
"[email-masked]" anywhere in the recipient field in my OS X 
folder before the netatalk-admin if-then statement got to look at it so 
all your netatalk-admin e-mails were being sent to my OS X mail folder.   
Thanks again!

As a side note, is anyone else having problems downloading from:

http://www.publicsource.apple.com/projects/darwin/projects.html

??

-Lewis

I stupidly wrote:

>For anyone curious, Ryan Thomas has successfully compiled netatalk on OS 
>X.  Just a note, it replaces apple's implementation of AppleTalk on OS X 
>so you can't use netboot, but you can now share files on UFS drives via 
>atalk which you can't do with the Apple version of AppleTalk (it only 
>shares HFS volumes).
>
>-Lewis

--
Lewis Pennock
[email-masked]
http://www.lewis.net

---

From: Lewis Pennock <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 99 14:54:38 -0500

Once again I apologize where I have not given the full credit due.   I'm 
just on too many lists!  I do sincerely thank you because our ability to 
use netatalk on a box with WebObjects will seriously improve everyone's 
life.

When I say "replace" I was basing that on netatalk using it's own atalkd 
and something I read on the OS X list about not being able to use netboot 
with Helios, which I guess is a mistake.  So, can you use netboot with 
netatalk?  This will really give people no reason not to run netatalk.  

-Lewis

On 8/20/99 2:17 PM a sun wrote:

>given that i did the port, i figure i also count as successfully
>compiling netatalk on os x serve. it requires some header files from
>darwin, but that's about all.
>
>note: it does not replace apple's appletalk implementation. it
>actually uses it for ddp connections. i also never bothered to
>abstract the necessary bits to make atalkd run, so you need to use
>apple's appletalk daemon for that. 

--
Lewis Pennock
[email-masked]
http://www.lewis.net