Subject: [netatalk-admins] Chooser visibilty, MacOS 8.5+ and ATM

From: "R. Michael Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:25:26 -0500

Hello,

We are running several netatalk servers, some on standard ethernet and
some on ATM elans.  Our netatalk version is  1.4b2+asun2.1.0 with Paul
Henson's DCE/DFS patches ( locally modified to support randnum passwords
in a DCE environment).  It all works fine -- EXCEPT that MacOSes 8.5 and
newer cannot see the the shares from the ATM attached servers in the
chooser. MacOS machines prior to 8.5 see them just fine.  All servers
are accessible via IP from the 8.5+ and 8.5- systems.

Anybody got any ideas ?  Has something changed in Atalk for MacOS 8.5+
that might cause this ?

We appreciate any help we can get .... classes start in about 2 weeks so
a fix to this is pretty important.

Many Thanks in advance,

Mike Stephens

-- 
R. Michael Stephens            Systems Software Specialist   
VUspace Project              Technical Infrastructure Team
Academic Computing & Info. Systems,  Vanderbilt University
Nashville TN. USA [email-masked] 615.343.8780     

"I move my feet, I go through the motions - 
HE gives purpose to chance.  I am the dancer.  
HE is LORD of the Dance."      Steven Curtis Chapman

---

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 13:13:31 -0500 (CDT)

Netatalk runs EtherTalk. You must have LAN Emulation set up properly for
two way communication across your ATM Backbone. This will add the few
extra bytes around the Ethernet packets for ATM transmission. Your
Netatalk Servers I assume are transmitting with an ATM network Card, so
just make sure you have LAN Emulation for your network set up properly.

You should speak with your resident Network Engineer about this problem.

+--------------------------------------------------------------+
 Russell E Glaue, Technologies Engineer   [email-masked]
 Center for the Application of Information Technologies
 101 Horrabin Hall, 1 University Circle, Macomb, Illinois 61455
 http://www.cait.org  http://cait.wiu.edu

---

From: Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 12:30:10 -0700

> You should speak with your resident Network Engineer about this problem.

What does this mean for those of us who don't have a "Network Engineer"? :-/

-----
 //=\   Vicki Brown <[email-masked]>
 \=//    Journeyman Sourcerer: Scripts & Philtres
  //=\
  \=//     Scientific Programming <> Perl, Unix, Mac
   //=\     A little Web gardening on the weekends
   \=//
    //=\      Deltagen, Inc; 1031 Bing St, San Carlos, CA 94070

---

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 14:41:12 -0500 (CDT)

> What does this mean for those of us who don't have a "Network Engineer"? :-/

How did you get your network together with out one? And how do you keep it
running or do maintenance on it without a Network Engineer? The smartest
person appearing in your answer is the person you need to talk to and get 
answers from.

---

From: "R. Michael Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 08:44:47 -0500

Russell,

Thanks ..... however

Considering that the pre MacOS 8.5 clients aren't having any problems, I
suspect it is not that simple.  In addition all of the rest of our
servers are ATM attached (email for 24000, samba for 2000, university
webserver, listservs ....... etc.) and they are all fine.

Now perhaps I am misunderstanding .....  is there something required by
Ethertalk for post 8.5 MacOS that is NOT required for pre 8.5 ?

All of the netatalk servers work fine in via IP it is just that the 8.5+
macos doesn't show the ATM attached server in the chooser (nor will it
access them via a mounter program we have).  The post 8.5 MacOS just
doesn't see the servers in AppleTalk.  In IP or pre 8.5 all is well.

Sigh.