Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk and Retrospect

From: Mike Holling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 21:33:07 -0700 (PDT)

I've just set up a 4G DAT drive on a powermac, using it to back up a
FreeBSD PC running netatalk.  So far it seems to be working just fine,
however it's really slow.  Retrospect reports 3.2M/minute (just under
55Kbytes/sec), which is pretty abysmal.  Not surprisingly the tape isn't
streaming.

What kind of tricks are folks using to get better performance out of this
setup?  I guess you could backup to a local hard drive first and then
write that to tape.  Amanda (unix backup software) can write all data to a
holding disk before writing it to tape, but Retrospect doesn't seem to
have this feature.  I haven't had much need to look at Appletalk/Netatalk
performance tuning until now, if someone has pointers they'd be much
appreciated.

- Mike

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 22:09:56 +0200

>55Kbytes/sec), which is pretty abysmal.  Not surprisingly the tape isn't

Are you connected via AppleTalk or IP?

If you connect via AppleTalk, syslog reports:
Apr 19 22:06:46 leela afpd[4841]: session from 13.67:250 on 13.1:132

and if you connect via IP, you see:
Apr 19 22:07:27 leela afpd[4847]: ASIP session:548(1) from 192.168.59.194:2054(2)

You'll get much better data rates via IP.

Another way is to attach the DAT to the unix box and try dump zu backup your files.

:wq! PoC

---

From: "C. Harald Koch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:04:14 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, Mike Holling writes:
> write that to tape.

I use retrospect to backup the mac directly to my UNIX box, which is running
amanda. I write to the Amanda staging disk (since it's there), and then later
the same night amanda starts and backs up everything, including it's staging
disk. Much better overall performance...

-- 
C. Harald Koch     <[email-masked]>

"It takes a child to raze a village."
		-Michael T. Fry