Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk-Linux : timed out probem

From: Daléas Jacques <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 10:49:21 +0200

We own this net server "poweredge 2300" from dell operated on Linux RedHat
6.0 by samba and netatalk (instaled wth RPM pakage
netatalk_1_4b2+asun2-1-3-4-i386.rpm).

Netatalk causes an error :
      error message = eth0 : transmit timed out : status 0050 0000 at
501/516 command 00000000

This error shuts off all net services that make le server out of net.

This error never occurs when netatalk is disabled.

Can you help me ?

Thanks.

Daléas Jacques

DALEAS Jacques
E_mail :  [email-masked]
Adr      :  SET - IRSAM,Université de PAU, 64000 PAU
Tél       :  05.59.92.32.67
Fax      :  05.59.80.83.39

---

From: Andrew Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 10:32:22 -0700 (PDT)

> This error never occurs when netatalk is disabled.

We bought two 2300's and had the same problem.  They both came with Intel
EtherExpress100 network cards.  Upgrading to the latest driver didn't fix
the problem, so we swapped the Intel cards for 3Com 3C905B network cards,
installed the latest driver (0.99L), and the problem appears to be fixed
(no problems for several months now).

Maybe a newer driver for the Intel card has been released which fixes this
problem?  The problem apparently stems from the handling of multicast
addresses, and it was also a problem on the earlier drivers for the 3C905B
card.  We reported the problem to Dell, but they hadn't seen it before, so
I just assumed it was unique to our set of software and services.  Oh
well, I like 3Com better anyways...  :)

	Andy