Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 released

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 15:28:09 -0800 (PST)

hi all,

i'm declaring asun2.1.3 "officially" cooked. it's not called asun2.1.2
because of the fact that people started making rpms and confusing
people with pre-asun2.1.2's. 

for those interested, this differs from asun2.1.2-8 by the addition of
volume password support. 

What's new in asun2.1.3?
  improved configurability of AppleVolumes.* files:
  - NLS support for compatibility with other file serving
    programs such as SAMBA. current translation files include
    iso-8859-1 (Latin1), codepage 850, and codepage 437. If you would
    like to see more, i need a mapping from Mac Roman to the
    particular language set that you would like.
  - volume passwords
  - more flexible option layout 
  - CRLF is now a per-volume option. it is OFF by default. when it is
    on, it occurs in both directions. as a result, binary files
    accidentally miscast as TEXT can be corrected. 
  - .AppleDouble directory creation semantics can be changed. with the
    noadouble option, .AppleDouble directories only get created if you
    copy over a resource fork.
  - read config/AppleVolumes.default for all the gory details.
     
  optimizations:
  - sendfile() support for *BSD and Linux. FreeBSD's implementation is
    a little more restricted than Linux', so server-side copies will
    not get improved on those machines. This option is NOT on by
    default as it requires Linux 2.2.x or FreeBSD 3.x. it is turned on
    by the -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX or -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_BSD define. i
    recommend anyone doing speed tests to try this out and let me know
    what your results are.

    If Solaris also has a similar call, let me know.

  - reduced memory usage.
  - unified AppleDouble routines with the AppleDouble conversion
    utilities.

  bug fixes:
  - operations taking a long time do not timeout the server.
  - dates are handled properly so programs like QuarkXPress work.
  - FPRead's now checks more carefully for the conditions that allow
    streaming reads.
  - FPFlush operates on a per-volume basis now.
  - auto-fixes broken AppleDouble header files and incorrect dates. 
  - encrypted password setting should work in all cases now.
  - Apple character comparison bug fixed.
  - stray .AppleDouble files are now just silently deleted when you
    delete a directory.
  - improved error checking and error replies for the parameter
    setting/getting calls.

  added AFP calls:
  - added FPResolveID, FPCreateID, and FPDeleteID. these currently
    don't get used with asun2.1.3.
  - added FPExchangeFiles.
  - the only AFP call that i don't think is currently implemented is
    FPCatSearch. 

  merged against netatalk-990130:
  - includes the STREAMS driver
  - altered timeout mechanisms for libatalk
  - improvements in pap/papd

  miscellaneous:
  - added in FreeBSD 3.0's datalink multicast setting code. NOTE: as i
    expect the proper code to be incorporated at the driver level, i
    will remove this in the future.
  - improved redhat startup script. 

files:
<ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3.tar.gz> 
<ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/asun2.1.1-2.1.3.diff.gz>
<ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/n-990130-asun2.1.3.diff.gz>

NOTE: the asun2.1.1-2.1.3.diff.gz is 1/3 the size of the actual tar
file. the netatalk-990130-asun2.1.3.diff.gz is 2/3 the size of the
actual tar file. they also don't include pre-created codepages. so, i
would recommend against the diff approach.

-a
[email-masked]