Subject: [netatalk-admins] Solaris 7 support

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 11:29:02 -0500

Those interested in trying netatalk on Solaris 7 (particularly Intel)
platforms, should grab:

    ftp://terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu/unix/netatalk/netatalk-990130.tar.gz

This snap-shot is tested on Solaris 7 Intel and Sparc 32 Bit, and
Solaris 2.6.  There is some possibility that this netatalk snap-shot
will run on 64 Bit Solaris, as we found a bug in the kernel module that
may have prevented previous versions from running.  You can report any
problems to [email-masked] or this list.

:wes

---

From: "Espen H. Koht" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:49:33 +0000 (BST)

Please forgive my ignoriance, but I'm having some problems getting
permissions to work out the way I want them on my new netatalk-based
server.

My problem is as follows. I have two users sharing a volume. One is called
A and the other B. They are both members of the tutorial group. In
AppleShare terms I want all files and directories created on this volume
to be fully read/writable by both users.

In a folder called "test folder" on this volume I have two word files
created by each of the users:

-rw-rw----   1 A    tutorial    19456 Feb 24 18:32 test
-rw-rw----   1 B    tutorial    19456 Feb 24 18:37 test 2

The enclosing folder permissions are:
drwxrws---   2 A    tutorial     1024 Feb 24 18:37 test folder

Naively I thought this would work just fine, but what actually happens is
that when A tries to open B's file or vice versa, Word opens it as a
read-only. 

Since the users have AFP access only, and AFP doesn't have file
permissions, I obviously need to make sure these files get created with
the right permissions. So my question is;
a) What should the permisions be? -rwxrwx---?
b) How do I make sure new files and directories get these permissions?

Espen

---

From: Yann Bizeul <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 21:19:50 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,

I have got a little problem, I have some directories shared as appletalk
volume, on a server with a dozen of users.
All these users not have the same privileges for each volume, so I want
that users u1 to u6, for examples, of group g1 to have access to sharing
s1 (An appleshare volume), and for users u7 to u12 from group g2, another
volume, say s2...
Actually, if s7 connect to the server, He see both s1 and s2 in the volume
list, If he choose s1 (yes, it can, the share is not dimmed, that is the
problem) I got an appletalk error, and if he choose s2, I have access
rights, and can log on and do whatever he wants. But it is not clean, I
want users from group g2 to see the s1 volume dimmed in the volumes list
while connecting to the server. The sharing privileges for both s1 and s2
are these :

drwxrwx--- xx root g1 xxx Feb 24 14:54 s1
drwxrwx--- xx root g2 xxx Feb 24 15:55 s2

I got a dimmed share if I make this, and connect as guest :

drwxrwx--- xx nobody nobody xxx  Feb 24 14:54 s1
drwxrwx--- xx root   g2     xxx  Feb 24 14:55 s2

In this case, s2 (not s1) is dimmed for guests...

I do not understand at all, what is determining why a share will be dimmed
or not...

Thanks !