Subject: [netatalk-admins] RE: Jukeboxing Netatalk

From: Lars <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 01:01:49 +0200

O.k. list I've got an "update" on my subject:

from kernel 2.2.9 /fs/hfs/HFS.txt lines 106 and following: 
.....
  One additional limitation is that the Desktop database on the disk is
  stored in afpd's format and is separate from any existing database
  maintained by the Finder when the volume is used on a Macintosh.
  Because of this mounting an HFS CDROM across the network to a
  Macintosh may result in applications and documents showing up with
  default application and document icons.  Additionally double clicking
  on a document will fail to start the correct application.  Both of
  these problems can be worked around by copying the application to a
  local disk on the Macintosh.
..... 

Oh, oh! Does that mean jukeboxing is a "no-go"? That I'll have to buy a
$2k++ NSM box? Anyone have ideas? 
I am willing to hack the unix side, but have no idea on the mac side of
things. How about a prog that "pulls out" all the file info from the CD
_after_ the mount and saves it in the mount directory? Or am I missing it?

reagards,
Lars

-secure mail prefered-
true affection: http://unix.oreilly.com/news/unix_love_0299.html

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:03:06 -0700 (PDT)

as this says, applications that have desktop database information
stored locally will have everything set up correctly. i'm planning on
adding desktop database support to hfs in the 2.3.x series, but i'm
pretty busy right now finishing up. in any case, you could solve this
by just sharing a writeable mount point. e.g., 
     /dir/name/volume
     /dir/name/volume/.AppleDesktop
     /dir/name/volume/mount
     /dir/name/volume/mount2
     /dir/name/volume/mount3

will work. 

-a

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 21:53:22 -0500 (CDT)

> _after_ the mount and saves it in the mount directory? Or am I missing it?

You're almost right.  This should be done either during mount for all the
files on the CD, which may consume a ton of time or better on the fly when
a certain directory is accessed.  Basically, it would be nice if HFS would
provide a virtual .AppleDouble directory and optionally save the data into
some real directory/log so it wouldn't have to be recreated next time the
CD (or other such medium) is inserted, i.e. it would be nice if it kept
state.

Tom

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 18:41:45 +0200

>$2k++ NSM box? Anyone have ideas? 

I could not verify this behaviour.

:wq! PoC