Subject: [netatalk-admins] Back again... (Solaris)

From: John Barry <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:53:09 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

My name's John Barry, I was a member of this list about a year ago, when I
tried (successfully) to get netatalk running on a SunOS 4.1.4 box. Since then
I've moved jobs & countries, and now I'm at it again :)

I had netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 installed and running on a Axill 311, (a sparc
10 clone) running Solaris 2.5.1 (11/97) then it stopped working for some reason,
(possibly kernel patch related? )it was a pet project, so I didn't pay it much 
mind at the time, other than cursing my luck and spending 10 mins trying to
figure it out, I failed.

That was 6 months ago, now I've been asked to get netatalk up and running
again officially, either on Solaris 2.5.1 (11/97) or 2.6 (5/98) so far I've
tried the following:

netatalk-971027 
netatalk-971027 kernel with netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 + eagain & socketconf 
patches
netatalk-990130
netatalk-990130 kernel with netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 + patches
netatalk-990130 kernel with netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3

Both on an 96Mb Axill 311 and 2.6 (5/98) with gcc 2.8.1 configured/compiled
with -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 to fully support the OS file
space limits, and Sun C 4.0

And on 2.5.1 (11/97) on a 256Mb sparc20 with gcc 2.7.2.1 & Sun C 4.0 

And *NONE* of them work, all of them tell me that it can't establish STREAMS
plumbing, (except once with netatalk-990130, when it gave me it's version of
the same message.)

I tried unsuccessfully to get pre-asun2.1.4-4.tar.gz to compile but it bombed
early on with a syntax error...

What am I doing wrong?

I'm not hacking the sources or anything, in asun all I do is comment out PAM,
KERBEROS and TCP-WRAPPERS, I've tried with and without -DNEW_STREAMS_MODULE
on every build. I don't get it... :(

Does anyone have a tar ball of some working binaries I could try? (For either
platform.) It's getting to the point that I'm about to try installing 2.5.1 on
a sparc1 & rebuild the c compiler again.

Ideas, prayers, innane suggestions, all welcomed at this point :)

later
jb
----
John Barry
Unix Network Administrator
European Southern Observatory
Karl-Schwarzschild-Strasse 2
D-85748 Garching b. M|nchen
Germany

---

From: "David S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 16:38:11 -0800 (PST)

> plumbing, (except once with netatalk-990130, when it gave me it's version of

What exactly is the problem?  The Solaris streams module won't compile
or 'make kinstall' fails?  I've never had any trouble compiling
netatalk under Solaris 2.5.1, 2.6, and 2.7, with gcc, egcs or Sun C. 
Because of some make problems, I once had some trouble with 'make
kinstall'.  But just by looking at the Makefile in 'sys/solaris', I
could see the shell commands that 'make kinstall' was trying to
execute, and run them "by-hand" to into install the kernel driver.

> early on with a syntax error...

I probably got the same error when trying to compile
'pre-asun2.1.4-4' under Solaris 2.7 with Sun C 5.0.  I made a minor
modification to one of the source files to get a clean build.  I have
no idea of the consequnces of this hack, so I'm reluctant to share it. 
I'd stick with 'asun2.1.3' until the man himself stabilizes his 2.1.4
version.

David S.
[email-masked]