Subject: [netatalk-admins] Can't print (output filter died)

From: "john phillips" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 08:55:29 -0600

Hello all,

I'm having difiiculty setting up a print queue on a Debian GNU/Linux
system. I can't get the Linux box to print properly to to the printer
(a Xante 8200). When I try to print a sample file using

        lpr test.ps

I get a message in the xconsole that the output filter died. Followed
by a message that the job could not be printed. However if I invoke
pap directly issuing the command

        pap /home/jphillips/test.ps

The job prints fine. I'm issuing this command from the spool directory
so so pap can read .paprc. So I know I've got the nbp_name of the
printer right.

It looks to me like psf is failing for some reason when it gets
invoked by the output filter line of my printcap, but I can't figure
out why or how to fix it.

My print cap follows
------
lp|Xante:\
 :lp=/dev/null:\
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/xante:\
 :pl#63:pw#85:\
 :mx#0:\
 :sh:sf:\
 :lf=/var/tmp/lpd-errs:\
 :if=/usr/lib/atalk/filters/ifpap:\
 :of=/usr/lib/atalk/filters/ofpap:
------
Also I'm am running lpr not lprng and using  netatalk 1.4b2+asun
2.1.1-2.

Any help much appreciated-- John Phillips