Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: Netatalk vs. Hp DeskWriter 560C

From: Paul Sander <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 05:17:56 -0800 (PST)

[email-masked] wrote:

>At 5:29 Uhr +0100 05.12.1999, Paul Sander wrote:

>>The problem I'm having is that after the file finishes printing, the
>>connection to the printer appears to remain open.  I must interrupt pap to
>>regain control of my shell.  The printer remains locked (after killing pap),
>>and I am unable to print another file from either the NetBSD box or a regular
>>Mac.  According to the HP PrintMonitor program on the Mac, the printer is
>>busy printing.
>>
>>The connection eventually times out a few minutes after pap is killed, and
>>the printer becomes available again.  The connection does not seem to time
>>out while pap is running.

>From the nights that I spent on getting a QMS-PS 410 to work with netatalk
>over a HW bridge ISTR that there is an option that lets pap not wait for
>the goodbye kiss from the printer:

>       -E     Do not wait for EOF from printer after spooling the
>              job. Some printers forget to send EOF after receiv-
>              ing large jobs.

>-- during said nights, I sync'ed the pap man page with reality, so I cannot
>tell if this is listed in the original manpage. I really should wrap up my
>changes and submit them to asun...

The -E option seems to be exactly what I need.

It's not documented in the man pages distributed with the system.  That
might have changed in v1.4.1, but I have not yet gotten around to upgrading.

Thanks!!
--
Paul M. Sander    | Every day is a weekend when you work for a startup
[email-masked] | company.

---

From: Hauke Fath <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 23:14:55 +0100

>The -E option seems to be exactly what I need.

Great!

>might have changed in v1.4.1, but I have not yet gotten around to upgrading.

That's not a question of 1.4.1 as in "NetBSD 1.4.1" -- pap comes with Netatalk.

Back when I dived into pap.c I found that only about half of the options it
takes are actually listed in pap.1, with comments that were less than
clear. Still, its author was quite generous with abusive language against
some printers' understanding of the pap protocol.

Reminds me of the "You point to somebody else and three fingers of your
hand point back to you" sentence I learned in Kindergarten...

	hauke

--
"It's never straight up and down"     (DEVO)