Subject: [netatalk-admins] Is the file lookup case-sensitive?

From: Konstantin Reznitsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 15:55:17 -0400 (EWT)

When I start "find" on the mac, looking for a file on the server it comes
up with all the files that match the example no matter what case the file
names are in.
I made an experiment. I installed netscape on the server from the mac.
Netscape has a separate module "Calendar". I renamed the file to
"cALendar" and tried to open it from inside netscape - got an error "file
not found:Calendar". What I'd like to know, is it normal, or there is some
kind of a problem here? And is there a way to prevent this from happening
(to get the files to open no matter what the case of the filename is)?
This doesn't seem happen when the server is Apple, Netware or NT.
This is not about Netscape - I have to deal with a package, that
apparently has a buggy installation program, that is installing files with
the wrong case of filenames. After installation I have similar problems
like with netscape above, but from Apple, Netware or NT this package runs
just fine. 

I was trying to get the "CAP" working on my box (no success yet), it has
an option:
--------------------------------------------------------------
NOCASEMATCH
        Make AUFS filenames case insensitive as in other AppleShare
        servers and Mac applications."
--------------------------------------------------------------
Can netatalk do the same?

Server: P5-200, RedHat-6.0 (kernel 2.2.5), netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.13.
Client: Tried iMac(MacOS-8.5), LCIII(MacOS-7.6) - the same result.
                                
Any advice, please.

Konstantin.