Subject: [netatalk-admins] No volumes available on Solaris 2.6

From: "Kareem Kazkaz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:08:59 -0600

Hello all.

I'm running Solaris 2.6 on a SparcStation20.

I was running netatalk-1.4b2 with the afpd-macos8 and the solariseagain
patches, and everything was running just peachy.  I then wanted the AFP over
TCP bit, so downloaded Adrian Sun's distribution (netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.1).
The compilation went smoothly, and I installed the package (including the
make kinstall) successfully.

The non-default line from the /etc/rc2.d/atalk script is:

    /usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd -c 15 -n "HCS Public"; echo ' afpd\c'

and the first few lines of my /usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.system are:

    /export/desktop.server/holdfolder  "Hold Folder" -noguest \
        -nosetpassword

    /export/desktop.server/tiiap       "TIIAP" -noguest -nosetpassword

    ~                                  "Home Directory" -noguest \
        -nosetpassword

(in the actual AppleVolumes.system, I did not use the backslash...each entry
is on one line.)

When I open up the Chooser on my desktop Mac, I see the "HCS Public" service
available under AppleTalk.  I can connect to the server just fine using my
username and password, just as I'm used to doing.  Normally, I would then be
presented with a window that reads, "HCS Public", and "Select the items you
want to use", and three volumes to connect to: Hold Folder, TIIAP, and my
home directory.  Unfortunately, after installing 1.4b2+asun2.1.1, I am
presented with a blank window.  That is, there is no Hold Folder, TIIAP, or
home directory.  I've never run into this before, so I figured I'd put a
screenshot up on the web at
http://www.hinf.umn.edu/~kareem/pictures/netatalk.gif.

I have not changed my configuration (e.g. any files in /usr/local/atalk/etc)
in any way between the two versions.  Does anybody have any suggestions as
to what might be going on?

Thanks a great deal in advance.

                        Kareem

---

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 07:54:53 -0800

>to what might be going on?

rather than ttempt to dissect what went wrong and where, i'd treat this 
as a fresh install. first thing: is AppleVolumes.system world-readable?

also, does the new compile you just did look in the same places for 
config files? might be worth a try to specify them in your rc scripts.

Paul Krohn
San Francisco Examiner - Systems Department
110 Fifth Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
415-777-7884 [email-masked]