Subject: [netatalk-admins] Problem with passwd case

From: Craig Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:19:08 +1000

Hi all Netatalkers,
I am successfully running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4 on a UltraSPARC 10 
(running 64-bit Solaris 7).  I do have one problem, however, in that I can 
only log-on through Chooser if my username is all lower-case (ie. no 
capitals).  If I have a user with even one capital in their uname, Chooser 
says that my "My password is incorrect".  Can anyone shed any light on 
this?  We are hoping to replace Helios Ethershare with Netatalk for our 50+ 
Mac client network, but as 99% of our users have at least one capital in 
their username, I can not roll into it yet.
Any suggestions/thoughts would be most welcome.
Cheers,
Craig Robinson

-------------------------------------------------------
Craig Robinson                        [email-masked]
Qld Institute of Medical Research     ph: 617-3362 0211
Brisbane AUSTRALIA                    fax:617-3362 0111

---

From: Rich Lafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 21:04:24 -0400

Quoting Craig Robinson ([email-masked]) from Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 09:19:08AM +1000:
> says that my "My password is incorrect".

Hrm, "uname" doesn't mean what you think it does. I'll assume you're
using the unix usernames and not the feature that lets you use the
GECOS field's names, although netatalk should do the Right Thing in
either case.

Yes, Unix likes lowercase usernames. Can they login directly? (In other
words, verify that it's a Netatalk problem and not a problem with your
OS's authentication libraries, if you're using them. It wouldn't be
the first unusual usrename restriction I've seen.)

Is it the case that the user's username is 'foo' but they're logging
in over netatalk as 'Foo', or is it 'Foo' in both cases? 

Are you using cleartext passwords or randnum challenges?

  -Rich

-- 
------------------------------ Rich Lafferty ---------------------------
 Sysadmin/Programmer, Information and Instructional Technology Services
   Concordia University, Montreal, QC                 (514) 848-7625
------------------------- [email-masked] ----------------------