Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Troubles configuring netatalk for printing

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 21:53:37 -0700

i have had terrible luck with hp printers and 'standard' tools. the only 
way i've managed to get this to work is under solaris, using the hpnp 
utility from hp.

even under this (awfully proprietary) setup, netatalk only seems to like 
the 'default' queue, and, for other queues, complains that there is no 
such queue when you attempt to start up papd:

Jun 21 21:17:55 lancelot papd[861]: No such printer: sys-hp
Jun 21 21:17:55 lancelot papd[861]: printcap problem: sys-hp
Jun 21 21:17:55 lancelot papd[861]: can't register 
systems-spool:LaserWriter@*

my papd.conf looks like this:

sloppies-test:\
        :
systems-spool:\
        :pr=sys-hp:pd=/usr/local/atalk/ppd/hp_laserjet_5m.ppd

both spools appear in the chooser, but only the sloppies-test spool 
actually works. also, the command

# lp -d sys-hp file.ps 

works fine too, so i know the sys-hp spool is ok.

what i concluded from all this is that:

a) hp printers don't speak 'standard' lp/lpr.
b) hpnp-/jetadmin doesn't set up 'standard' queues.

anyone had better luck, or know the secret for getting hp printers/queues 
to play nice? 

>Hi Folks,
>I am in the throes of setting up a Linux box (Redhat 5.2) as a modem and
>print server. Diald works reasonably well, and I have successfully
>integrated Win NT and Win95 boxes using SAMBA. The only problem I am
>having is in trying to get netatalk to provide printer services to a MAC
>running MacOS 8.5. File services work fine. The version of netatalk I am
>using is netatalk-1.42b2+asun2.1.3-4.i386.RPM and my printer is an HP
>5MP. I'm sure there's something about this that I just don't grok.
>
>Can anyone provide me with a clear and complete set of instructions on
>how to get the printers working? The Mac sees the printer, but when I
>print to it nothing is produced. I can see that the files were placed in
>the spooler directories, tho.

Paul Krohn
San Francisco Examiner - Systems Department
110 Fifth Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
415-777-7884 [email-masked]

---

From: Michael bartosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 00:38:07 -0500

After playing w/ netatalk quite a lot over the past couple of monthes 
I have been given a cheerful sparq 5 to play with.

However whenever I attempt to 'make' it says command not found. I can 
su -l with the same result. What needs to be in my path so I can use 
a compiler???

-mab

Michael Bartosh
                 Oceanography Systems Support Staff
       cell: 409.220.5221
       mail: [email-masked]
       icq: oceanbrtsh

---

From: Stephen Lubbs <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:20:14 -0400

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the reply. I'm curious, where did you find the ppd files? I
haven't found them at adobe. The old links don't work any more. Are they
Linux specific or can you swipe the ones from either Mac or Win? Maybe the
lack of them is part of my problem??

Regards,
Steve

---

From: Erik Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 09:00:49 -0600

I'll assume you're talking about solaris?

/usr/ccs/bin