Subject: [netatalk-admins] adding IDE drive to scsi system

From: "Wagner One" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:57:48 -0500

The linux machine on which I run netatalk is exclusivly scsi and I would 
like to add an IDE drive to the mix (cheaper, bigger, etc.). I installed it
this morning on the primary IDE bus set as "device 0 master" and immediatly
the machine attempted to boot from the IDE drive instead of the scsi drives
(which are on a 2940). I poked around in the bios setup a little, but didn't
see anything right away as to how to force it to boot from another device. I
assume this is the way it has to be done or is there another workaround?

Thanks,
Mike

--
Mike Wagner - A bad Dead show is better than a good day at work...
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

---

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:10:15 -0500 (CDT)

This question is not for this list, you should consult the Linux FAQs to
answer this very common situation. 

The Bios of the MotherBoard are set to boot up on the IDE first then the
SCSI. If you have a later and advanced motherboard you may have the option
to have the Bios boot from the SCSI first, then IDE.
Your bios boot setting may be:  FLOPPY, CD-ROM, SCSI, IDE, NETWORK.
If you do not have this option, you'll have to stick with the IDE, which
means setting up the MBR on the IDE. Or boot from a floppy.

For further info, check out the Linux FAQs.
						-----russ-----

> assume this is the way it has to be done or is there another workaround?

+------------------------------------------------------------------+
 Russell E Glaue, Technologies Engineer / IT Manager  [email-masked]
 Center for the Application of Information Technologies
 101 Horrabin Hall, 1 University Circle, Macomb, Illinois 61455
 http://www.cait.org  http://cait.wiu.edu

---

From: Hannu Krosing <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 23:24:50 +0300

> assume this is the way it has to be done or is there another workaround?

Just tell the BIOS that you have NO ide disks - it will boot off your
2940 
and then Linux will find your IDE disks. At least this is how I do it
:~)

--------
Hannu