Subject: [netatalk-admins] No server in Chooser

From: Paul Wolstenholme <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:56:41 -0800 (PST)

I have just upgrade or OS to Freebsd 3.0 and running
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0.  I can connect to the server via it's ip address
but the server and printer spooler no longer show up in the chooser.  I'm
not quite sure what I have mucked up.  Does anyone have any suggestions on
what to check for.

/Paul

---

From: Stefan Bethke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 15:12:46 +0100

> not quite sure what I have mucked up.  Does anyone have any suggestions on

You'll need to re-install either the port or the package.

Do this as root:
# pkg_delete netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0
# pkg_add /cdrom/packages/All/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0.tgz

or

# cd /usr/ports/net/netatalk-asun && make install

HTH,
Stefan

--
Hamburg          |  Voice:  +49-177-3504009
Germany          |  e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Gabriel Corcodel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 15:35:21 +0200

Please, check that your interface is in the promisc mode...
If not, enable it, then you should see the server...
Gabriel

---

From: Stefan Bethke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 17:07:55 +0100

> If not, enable it, then you should see the server...

This doesn't apply to any supported version of FreeBSD (2.2.x, 3.x, or 4.x)
for both netatalk 1.4b2 or asun 2.1.x.

When switching from FreeBSD 2.2 to 3.0, you'll need to (re-)install the
appropriate package for netatalk due to a change in the kernel interface
for link-layer multicast addresses.

AFAIK, there are no known problems with any ethernet interface driver
regarding multicast handling (maybe except for the 3c501, but who cares for
broken h/w).

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. +49-40-851744-18
+ Systemberatung GmbH   |  Fax. +49-40-851744-44
Eduardstrasse 46-48     |  e-mail: [email-masked]
D-20257 Hamburg         |  http://www.Promo.DE/

---

From: Paul Wolstenholme <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:59:27 -0800 (PST)

> for both netatalk 1.4b2 or asun 2.1.x.

This is good to know.  I was confused a bit by the previous post.

> for link-layer multicast addresses.

I've done this and still have the same problem on FreeBSD 3.0.  At the
moment I am using an Intel Express 10/100, I'm going to try a another card
when I get a chance.

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 11:10:27 -0800 (PST)

so,

i just took a look at the multicast code that's in freebsd. it turns
out that it doesn't do the right thing when you get your zones from
the network. go to etc/atalkd/multicast.c and edit the following line:
     bcopy(ethermulti, LLADDR(&sdl), sizeof(ethermulti));

to look like the following instead:
     bcopy(data ? data : ethermulti, LLADDR(&sdl), sizeof(ethermulti));

you should be much happier now.

-a

---

From: Julian Elischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 17:27:28 -0800 (PST)

on the version I have that's in main.c

(but it's old)

---

From: Stefan Bethke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 19:27:51 +0100

Paul Wolstenholme <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> This doesn't apply to any supported version of FreeBSD (2.2.x, 3.x, or
>> 4.x) for both netatalk 1.4b2 or asun 2.1.x.
> 

It probably isn't the card.

I should have been more specific in my original reply: you have two
options: either compile the port from the ports tree, or install the
FreeBSD *3.0* package.

Compiling and installing from the port is straightforward if you have the
ports tree installed (the one from the 2.2.8 CDROMs does suffice, but the
newer the better):
# cd /usr/ports/net/netatalk-asun; make install

On the other hand, you can install the 3.0 package either from your 3.0
CD-ROMs (not sure on which of the four CDs the packages are located,
however).

You can also download the package from your favorite FTP mirror.

When using the binary package, make sure to use the one for FreeBSD 3.0 (or
newer). Packages compiled on and for older versions of FreeBSD do not work
correctly.

Stefan

---

From: Paul Wolstenholme <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:40:47 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the clarification (I actually was not confused by your post
but by the promiscus mode post which I could not find reference to in the 
FreeBSD ifconfig man page). 

I did however compile the latest port which resulted in the same problem. 
There is apparently a problem with the way FreeBSD 3.0 handles
multicasting.  a sun provided a small patch for netatalk-asun which he
thought might do the trick but alas it did not. 

All in all, this isn't such a bad problem for a campus computer --
security through obsurity.  Although, it is a pain not to be able to used
papd.