Subject: [netatalk-admins] ASIP ok, no Classic AppleTalk services

From: Russell Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 09:46:50 -0400 (EDT)

After perusing the netatalk-admins archives for several hours last night,
I couldn't find the answer to my problem, so I'm posting here now:

I recently downloaded netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.1.x86-nonshadow-linux.tar.gz
from http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/mirror/ and installed
it on my RedHat 5.2 x86 box. I managed to get Appletalk over IP working,
but I could not get the classical appletalk to go, which is what I really
need, since some of my macs are pretty old and don't understand Appleshare
IP.

I checked, and my kernel says "Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035" on
booting, so I should have ddp support, right?

I added the required lines to /etc/services for rtmp, nbp, echo, zip,
and afpovertcp. 

I created the AppleVolumes.system file, and it works correctly, i.e., I
can export any volume I want, and name it however suits me. 

>From what I am to understand from the documentation, classic
appletalk is supposed to be the default, but for some reason Appletalk
over IP seems to be the default. 

One thing I noticed, and I couldn't find anywhere, is: Shouldn't there be
a line in /etc/protocols defining 'ddp' as a service? It's not in there,
and I don't know what to set it to. Is this the source of my problem, or
is it something else? Did I just download the wrong precompiled binary, or
is it a configuration error?

Many thanks in advance...

Russell Hoffman
[email-masked]
---------

---

From: Russell Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:22:28 -0400 (EDT)

Georg,

Thanks for your speedy reply. Yes, /proc/net/appletalk does exist. What
line do I need to add to /etc/protocols? I didn't know which number to
assign to ddp, since I couldn't find that information  anywhere. Can you
show me your /etc/protocols entry for ddp? 

Thanks again!

Russ Hoffman
[email-masked]

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Georg Schwarz wrote:

> no, not necessarily. Does /proc/net/appletalk exist?
> 
> 
> yes, you have to add it.
> there's a file in the Netatalk distribution that contains those lines:
> 
> rtmp            1/ddp           # Routing Table Maintenance Protocol
> nbp             2/ddp           # Name Binding Protocol
> echo            4/ddp           # AppleTalk Echo Protocol
> zip             6/ddp           # Zone Information Protocol
> 
> afpovertcp      548/tcp         # AFP over TCP
> afpovertcp      548/udp
> 
> 
> the second one.
> -- 
> Georg Schwarz                             [email-masked]
> Institut für Theoretische Physik    Tel. +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
> Technische Universität Berlin          http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
> Sekr. PN 7-1, Hardenbergstr. 36, D-10623 Berlin            IRC: kuroi
>

---

From: Russell Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:57:18 -0400 (EDT)

Atalkd does not give any errors on startup. At the moment, I am using an
Intel EtherExpress ISA card. The other card I have (which I have
not tried) is a 3com Etherlink III. 

What feature does the Ethernet card need to support in order to work with
classical appletalk? Does it require promiscuous mode or something like
that?

Also, do I need an entry in /etc/protocols to define the ddp protocol?

Many thanks!

> does atalkd give any errors on startup? if not, i suspect your
> ethernet card is less than adequate. what kind is it?
> 
> -a
>