Subject: [netatalk-admins] Truncated print jobs

From: William Knox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:28:54 -0400

We have a setup of a couple of hundred printers here on a new print
system that print from LPRng 3.6.5 to netatalk1.4b2+asun2.1.3.  We have
had a problem with large jobs (over 1 Mb) being truncated.  If we print
directly to the printer with TCP/IP printing, there is no problem, and
if we print to the printer with pap from a file of the print job, it
also prints.  Therefore, it seems as though psf is somehow doing
something that truncates the job.  Does anyone have any idea what may be
going on with this?  We are getting beyond desparate here.  Thanks in
advance for any hints that you may be able to provide.
-- 
			Bill Knox
			Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
			The MITRE Corporation

---

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:05:00 -0500 (CDT)

Yes.  You get truncated when printing with papd through Unix LPR to the
printer. You need to insert the appropriate configurations into your
/etc/printcap to extend the file size limit that is allowed to printed
from a user.

+--------------------------------------------------------------+
 Russell E Glaue, Technologies Engineer   [email-masked]
 Center for the Application of Information Technologies
 101 Horrabin Hall, 1 University Circle, Macomb, Illinois 61455
 http://www.cait.org  http://cait.wiu.edu

---

From: Andrew Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:55:47 -0700 (PDT)

> advance for any hints that you may be able to provide.

Just to be clear, you are:

A) Printing from a mac, to a netatalk server, through LPRng and TCP/IP to
a printer

or

B) Printing to an Appletalk printer (and therefore using pap and psf)

or

C) Something else?

I got a little lost in your description.  Please describe your printers,
your server, your clients, and which protocol (IP or Appletalk) is used
where...

	Andy