Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] following links with Netatalk

From: Benjamin Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:44:24 -0600

At 3/10/99 12:52 PM, Matthew Temple ([email-masked]) 
wrote:

>We set up a computer for storing images.   Users have a /home/<username>
>directory and each user has a directory on a large partition on another
>drive, say /mnt/ext/<username>.    In each home directory,  I created a
>link to the directory on the large partition.
>
>When a user connects via Netatalk, the directories look fine and MOST
>files can be added or deleted with no trouble, however Photoshop files,
>once placed onto the large directory (presumably the link is dereferenced)
>cannot be deleted and give an "error -50" response when you try.

We have a similar setup and Photoshop doesn't have a problem with it.  
The setup is: RH Linux 5.1, kernel 2.0.36, asun 2.1.1.  Users' 
.AppleVolumes files contain only a reference to ~/launchpoint, and every 
user has a launchpoint directory which contains symlinks to other 
directories on another partition.  No problems, even with Photoshop 
(version 5).

FWIW, Mac error -50 is "Error in user parameter list", which doesn't 
really say much.

--Benjamin Gilbert

---

From: satadru pramanik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:59:35 -0500 (EST)

Perhaps you could try making sure that the highest .AppleDesktop dir and
.AppleDouble dirs are r/w and nor r/o.. That was (is) a problem for me
after i made those dirs r/o.

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Benjamin Gilbert wrote:

--Benjamin Gilbert

--=
satadru pramanik [email-masked]' www.umich.edu/~satadru
MIS, Student Publications
"I'm old enough to be living in the future I was warned about."
  - Myron Krueger
=--