Subject: [netatalk-admins] Group permissions problem

From: Nick Bastin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 22:09:30 -0400

I have the following directory tree set up that netatalk can access (on
a linux machine):

/home/software/
		|
		|----mac/
		|	|
		|	|--UAR 1.2.2/
		|	
		|---linux/

/home/software is in /etc/atalk/AppleVolumes.default

Permissions in /home/software look like this:

drwxrws---		5 root	files		1024 May 22 19:29 linux
drwxrws---		4 root	files		1024 May 22 20:15 mac

root can write in these directories, but users in the group 'files'
cannot.  What's up with that?  Also, to take the story a bit deeper:

/home/software/mac looks something like this (much abbreviated listing):

-rwxrwx---		1 nbastin	files	 42586163 May 12 13:54 DarwinOS-0.2.sit
drwxrws---		1 nbastin	files		1024 May 22 19:33 UAR 1.2.2

nbastin can copy all of these files and folder from the linux box to a
mac.  Users in the group 'files' can not copy DarwinOS-0.2.sit (says I
don't have enough access privileges), but users in the group 'files'
*can* copy the *entire* UAR 1.2.2 directory (all of the files in it have
the same permissions as DarwinOS-0.2.sit).  What's worth noting is that
if I use ftp, users in the group 'files' have no problem reading or
writing any of these files or directories.  Also, if I make the
permissions 777, I still can't read the files.  Any ideas?

-- 
Nick Bastin - RBB Systems, Inc.
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to
lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores
the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led
them into it in the first place. - Douglas Adams