Subject: [netatalk-admins] Solaris 7 64-bit / pre-asun2.1.4-35

From: Simon Oxwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:46:20

>I'm given to understand that asun2.1.4 will work if compiled with a 64 bit
>compiler. I also understand that asun2.1.4 is very much a testing release.
Given >that asun2.1.4-35 has been there since 4th August and assuming
nothing nasty >happened to Adrian, that this release is relatively stable?
Am I right? Is there >anything I should know before I get hounded by a
lynch mob of angry >mathematicans?

Compiled what was supposedly a 64-bit version of the kernel driver with gcc
2.95.2.  Uncommented SPARC64=true and -mcpu=ultrasparc in the kernel
makefile. It compiled with the usual warnings, installed itself and gave
the same error about ddp being installed correctly but failing to attach as
I got previously, but without the "not 64-bit driver" in /var/adm/messages.

Ah, well. Change to 32-bit mode before the lynch mob arrives... Or daybreak...

Simon

+ Simon Oxwell ----- Computer Systems Officer (DSE) ----- SC3.64a -+
| [email-masked]           Phone: +61 08 9360 6126 |
|  "It doesn't matter what you like, aliens hate it..." - Custard  |
+----------- http://megabyte.murdoch.edu.au/support ---------------+

---

From: Prentice Bisbal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 09:28:03 -0500

You need to use the Sun Workshop 5.0 compiler . As far as I know it is the only
one I know that can compile the 64-bit code. At least for the kernel. Notice
in the comments of sys/solaris/Makefile that they differentiate between a
64-bit sparc PROCESSOR and a 64-bit KERNEL. It took me a few weeks to figure out
that one. If you have it installed, the relevent section of your Makefile in
sys/solaris should look like this.  Notice that there is a # after the
-D_KERNEL in the KCFLAGS section in the orignal Makefile that needs to be
removed to uncomment " -xarch=v9 -xregs=no%appl " for the 64-bit kernel.

# use gcc (gcc-2.95 on 64-bit sparc)
#CC=            gcc
#KCFLAGS=       -D_KERNEL -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes ${KGCCFLAGS} # -mcpu=ultrasp
arc
#OPTOPTS=       -O
#CSHAREDFLAGS=   -fPIC
#LDSHARED=      gcc
#LDSHAREDFLAGS=  -shared

# use Sun CC (for a 64-bit kernel, uncomment " -xarch=v9 -xregs=no%appl ") 
CC=             /opt/SUNWspro/SC5.0/bin/cc
KCFLAGS=        -D_KERNEL -xarch=v9 -xregs=no%appl 
OPTOPTS=        -fast -xO5 -xstrconst
CSHAREDFLAGS=   -KPIC
LDSHARED=       cc
LDSHAREDFLAGS=  -G
LDFLAGS_EXPORT=

LIBSHARED=      -ldl

# -D_ISOC9X_SOURCE is handled by OSVERSION. basically, it's not needed
# with 2.5.1.
DEFS=   -DNO_STRUCT_TM_GMTOFF -D__svr4__ -DSOLARIS -I../../sys/generic \
        ${OSDEFS} ${MACHINEDEFS}
INSTALL=        /usr/ucb/install
AFPLIBS=
ADDLIBS=        -lsocket -lnsl

-- 
Prentice Bisbal
[email-masked]
Princeton Plasma Physics Lab
http://www.pppl.gov

---

From: Simon Oxwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 22:45:59

>I got previously, but without the "not 64-bit driver" in /var/adm/messages.

Thank you to all of you who replied telling me that I need the SPARCWorks C
5.0 Compiler. I have seen the error of my ways. You can stop now. Please?

Simon