Subject: [netatalk-admins] This is becoming annoying ...

From: "J. Guy Stalnaker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:44:45 -0600

Well,

Thanks for the replies about versions of libc5 or glibc.  I did find a
document at ftp.cdrom.org that answered my question.  I was able to
successfully compile netatalk1.4b2_asum2.1.2 and install.

I put a sym link /etc/atalkd.conf -> /usr/atalk/etc/atalkd.conf
I put a sym link /etc/afpd.conf -> /usr/atalk/etc/afpd.conf
I put a sym link /etc/papd.conf -> /usr/atalk/etc/papd.conf
I put a sym link /etc/AppleVolumes.default ->
/usr/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.default
I put a sym link /etc/AppleVolumes.system ->
/usr/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.system
I put a sym link /sbin/atalkd -> /usr/atalk/etc/atalkd
I put a sym link /usr/sbin/atalkd -> /usr/atalk/etc/atalkd

atalkd.conf has one line:

eth0 -phase 2 -net 47035-47038 -zone *

All other files are as installed, no alterations.

>From my Mac's Appletalk control panel, I know this information about my
network (for my Mac):

Node: 54
Network: 47035
Network range: 47035-47038

Thus, my mac is 47035.54 on this network

On the linux box, nbplkup shows me this info about my box

NAK_8100:AFPServer                          			47035.54:249
NAK_8100	Bv`	Bsx NF$:SNMP Trap Handler	47035.54:9
NAK_8100	Bv`	Bsx NF$:SNMP Agent          	47035.54:8
NAK_8100:NPA-365-0001-026594876954u         	47035.54:250
NAK_8100:  Power Macintosh                  		47035.54:252
NAK_8100:Workstation                        		47035.54:4

If I run atalkd, ifconfig reports, even with atalkd.conf written as is,
the following:

EtherTalk Phase 2 addr:65280/180

If I run "atalkd -f atalkd.conf" then ifconfig reports this:

EtherTalk Phase 2 addr:47032/253

If I run nbprgstr with anything OTHER that this:

nbprgstr buckland:netatalk

I get Connection timeout errors.

Running papd and afpd report no errors.

Now, on the Mac in the Chooser, under my default zone "DoIT Staff" I see
"buckland".  Yeah!!  But I cannot login to the volume.  When I
double-click on buckland, I get a "connection" dialog box, and then an
error:

"No response from the server.  Please try again."

If I attempt to connect via AppleShare IP, I get a login dialog box, but
with any account I've created (several test accounts), I get a password
not valid response.

aecho does absolutely nothing of value.

If I use "nbplkup :netatalk", I get responses, but my linux box is not
in the list.

Any comment is welcome.

Thanks,

Guy
*-------------------------------------------------------------*
                        J. Guy Stalnaker
 DoIT-Emerging Media Tech.              [email-masked]
 5752 Tokay Blvd., Suite 200                  wk. 608.263.8035
 Madison WI 53719-1220                        fax 608.265.6681
*-------------------------------------------------------------*

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:20:30 -0800 (PST)

> eth0 -phase 2 -net 47035-47038 -zone *

That looks wrong. You should be filling in zone names.

> EtherTalk Phase 2 addr:65280/180

atalkd is not finding the router which is seeding your network. 65280 is
in the network range for no-router-found machines.

What is on your net & seeding it?

atalkd should re-write its config file once it figures out what's
happening on the net, so your errors indicate a network configuration
problem.

Take care,

Bill