Subject: [netatalk-admins] Solaris and printing

From: "Jack Valko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:27:13 -0800

Does anyone have printing working with netatalk-990130 installed on a
Solaris 2.6 box?  I'm starting to think I should install a different
distribution.  Here's my papd.conf file.

Printer:\
        :pr=|/bin/lp -d ps:\
        :op=root:\
        :pd=/usr/share/lib/ppd/hp4ml_v1.ppd

Running pap works, but printing from mac clients just hangs and times out.

Jack

---

From: Martin Welk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 10:19:02 +0100

> Running pap works, but printing from mac clients just hangs and times out.

Which printer driver are you using on the Mac? I had exactly that problem
when using the ancient Laserwriter 4.x driver instead of the nowadays
mostly used Laserwrite 8.x. For printing via PAP, I had to change the
printer driver. I never found really out, why this happened, but we aren't
usually printing to a PAP printer.

Regards,

Martin
-- 
FreibergNet Systemhaus GbR                   Martin Welk * Sales, Support
Systemhaus für Daten- und Netzwerktechnik           phone +49 3731 781387
Unternehmensgruppe Liebscher & Partner                fax +49 3731 781377
D-09599 Freiberg * Am St. Niclas Schacht 13    http://www.freibergnet.de/

---

From: "Jack Valko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 11:02:12 -0800

I'm trying to print from a G3 powerbook with Laserwrite 8.  I should mention
that the lp command pipes the print job to ghostscript which is configured
to take the postscript input, rip it to a bitmap, and then send it to my HP
Laserjet 4L via SMB.  I can print from my PCs and Solaris with no problems
using this mechanism.

Is there a specific 8.x driver I need to be using?

Thanks,
Jack

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Welk [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 29 December, 1999 01:19
To: Jack Valko
Cc: netatalk admins
Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Solaris and printing

Regards,

Martin