Subject: [netatalk-admins] Solaris 2.7 and asun2.1.3?

From: [email-masked] (Ray Zimmerman)
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 09:23:34 -0400

I've been told that all of our Sun's are being upgraded to Solaris 2.7 and was wondering if there are any issues I should be aware of regarding netatalk. I'm currently using asun2.1.3 under Solaris 2.5.1 with no problems. Note: I'm only interested in the file server (no printing stuff).

Thanks,

	Ray

---

From: Charles Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 09:44:06 -0400

You may not know that Solaris 2.7 has two modes available to Ultra
workstatons.  At least that is my interpretation of what Sun says.
We've only upgraded one system so far.  It booted into 32bit mode, 
upgraded the bios, and then rebooted into 64bit mode.  
It will default to either 32bit mode or 64bit mode on an Ultra, 
depending on how old the ultra is.  Newer ones get the
64bit mode.  You can force the system to use the alternate mode if you
need to.  Sparcs all get the 32bit mode.  It may be the case where netatalk
runs under the 32bit mode but not 64bit, or maybe no problems at all with
64bit.  We are running solaris 2.6 and experimenting with netatalk.
Let me know how it works under solaris 2.7

---

From: Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 08:50:52 -0600 (MDT)

> Let me know how it works under solaris 2.7

This was discussed last week. If you use asun's latest and greatest
pre-release, and you compile with Sun's Workshop 5.0 compiler to get the
64 bit support, then netatalk runs fine under Solaris 2.7 on Ultra
hardware in 64bit mode.  I'm running it right now (pre-asun2.1.4-11) as a
fileserver. I have TCPWRAPPER support turned on, but no PAM or
Kerberos. I've never used netatalk for printing, so I can't comment on
that aspect.

If people don't have access to the SUN compilers, I can provide binaries
and instructions for the kernel module load (assuming that is ok with
Adrian and Wes). 

Tim

Tim Carlson                                  Voice:    (505) 984-8800x255
Director of Computing: Santa Fe Institute    Fax:      (505) 982-0565
WWW: http://www.santafe.edu/~tim             Email:   [email-masked]