Subject: [netatalk-admins] can't aecho

From: Richard Mann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:57:12 -0500 (CDT)

A PowerComputing 100 with Mac OS 7.5.1 was complaining of slow
network access compared to its twin neighbor, so since I had
a spare network card, I tried swapping out the Asante card
with a Dayna, and also tried using built-in ethernet with
a transceiver. (We had an excess of ethernet cards at one
time, and a shortage of transceivers, so that's why some are
using cards.)

Both with the Dayna card, and with built-in, everything would
work fine, *except* access to the Linux servers and printers.
TCP/IP ok (pings from the server side, telnet sessions from the
client side), EtherTalk ok (peer connections to other Macs and
vice-versa). Shows up ok with "nbplkup :AFPserver", *but* I 
could not "aecho" that address. Now that I've put the old
ethernet card back in, and everything is fine again (albeit
about 1/3 slower it should be, but that's ok for now).

So is there the equivalent of an arp cache out there maybe, 
that was holding onto a certain hardware address for that AFPserver
address? If I had been able to wait long enough, would such a
change propagate? We have a small flat network with no routers,
and no zones.

--rich 
  "I am now telling the computer *exactly* what it can do with 
   half a lifetime's supply of chocolate." ... Willy Wonka and 
   the Chocolate Factory.