Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk+asun-2.1.3 startup error

From: "Darron Froese" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 13:36:58 -0600

>>> Try a tighter range of network numbers in your atalkd.conf.
>>My atalkd.conf doesn't have anything in it at all - it's completely empty. I
>>tried adding eth0 to it but that didn't help.
>
> You have no other AppleTalk router on your net? Try:
> eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 10-20 -addr 10.1 -zone "Ether"

I added this - it didn't change anything at all. I read on the linux-atalk
list that people were having to actually restart their machines to get it to
work - if it failed once it would fail again - I'm going to try to go to
that machine ASAP and give it a try.

>>On the mklinux machine I have that's working correctly, there's nothing in
>>the atalkd.conf either.
>
> There MUST be something in it after the first start of atalkd.
> Have you looked at the right path to atalkd.conf?

This is the netatalk+asun processes that are running on the mklinux box on
the same network:

root 279  0.0  0.0 0     0  ?  SW  Jul 11   0:00 /usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd
root 289  0.0  0.0 0     0  ?  SW  Jul 11   0:00 /usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd

Here are the only atalkd.conf files on that system - neither of which have
anything in them that isn't commented out:

[root@krycek etc]# find / -name "atalkd.conf"
/usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd.conf
/usr/src/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/config/atalkd.conf

On the only YellowdogLinux machine that I've got that's working, (ydl 1.0,
Kernel 2.2.7 with AppleTalk as a module) this is the line in atalkd.conf:

eth0 -phase 2 -net 2 -addr 2.144 -zone "Ethernet"

NOTE: This machine is on another network from the 3 I am having problems
with, but they're almost identical software wise.
--
Darron
[email-masked] - WestWorld Computers
<http://i.am/darron/>

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:46:24 +0200

At 13:36 Uhr -0600 13.07.1999, Darron Froese wrote:

>work

No, it's just enough to ifconfig ALL interfaces (lo too!) down and up again to get rid of the old AppleTalk address.

>anything in them that isn't commented out:

This is quite strange. I think, I cannot actually help you.

:wq! PoC