Subject: [netatalk-admins] SUMMARY: setting exec permission from Mac

From: Darie Duclos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:54:42 +0200

The original problem was:

|Is there a way to set an execute permission on a file created
|on a Mac and stored on a Unix partition via Netatalk? 
|We have a secretary who creates html files with includes (like
|to include the standard header). In order for the include to
|be carried out by the server, the execute bit has to be on.
|But Macs don't know about execute permissions, and I can't
|see her having to telnet to a Sun in order to chmod files..

I ended up putting a find command in her .cshrc in her Unix 
account which chmods the files as desired. She just has to
make a connection with telnet or MacX for it to happen. Then
she can just log out again.
Another solution would have been to set up a crontab under
her userid which did this regularly, but we wanted her to
be aware of what she was doing. :-)

Thanks!

===============================================================
Darie Duclos
Systems Manager                      "All my life I've wanted
Institut d'Informatique               to be somebody, it's
Universite de Fribourg                only now I see I should
[email-masked]                 have been more specific."
tel: +41 26 300 83 42
fax: +41 26 300 96 42                           -- Lily Tomlin
===============================================================