Subject: [netatalk-admins] sorry, some questions about atalkd.conf

From: patrick finerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:49:15 -0500 (EST)

hi,

i'm still trying to determine what has happened to my appletalk setup.
it was working fine for a month and then something was changed with
the appletalk network in the building (i'm trying to find out what)
and now atalkd uses about 50% of the cpu and tries to write a million
gnireply messages to the log file.

when atalkd is started, it completely ignores the info in the
atalkd.conf file and rewrites it. the file gets filled with what
appears to be every zone in the building. this has always been the
case since i moved here (early Dec.). however, atalkd started behaving
oddly only recently so i don't necessarily think having this long list
of zones is causing the problem.

restarting atalkd only changes the -addr value and my computer only
shows up under the "ETHERNET" zone, the first listed.

if it matters, any Macintosh running TCP/IP gets its network settings
via DHCP.

the atalkd.conf file looks like this after starting atalkd (sorry for
the long line):

eth0 -phase 2 -net 1-20 -addr 1.219 -zone "ETHERNET" -zone "Admitting" -zone "Adolescent Medicine" -zone "Ambulatory Admin" -zone "Anaesthesia" -zone "Biochemistry" -zone "Blood Bank" -zone "Cardiac Program" -zone "Cardiology" -zone "Cardiology Research" -zone "Cardiovascular Surgery" -zone "Cell Biology" -zone "Central Services" -zone "Centre For Health I & P" -zone "Chaplaincy" -zone "Child Dev Clinic" -zone "Child Life Services" -zone "Cleft Lip & Palate" -zone "Clin. Nutrition" -zone "Clin. Pharm." -zone "Clinical Biochemistry" -zone "Clinical Epidemiology" -zone "Communications" -zone "Craniofacial" -zone "Critical Care" -zone "CS McMaster" -zone "CS University" -zone "Cystic Fibrosis" -zone "Diabetes Education" -zone "Diagnostic Imaging" -zone "Discharge Planning" -zone "Editorial Services" -zone "Emergency" -zone "Endocrinology" -zone "Environmental Services" -zone "Executive Office" -zone "Food Services" -zone "Foundation 180 Dundas" -zone "Gastroenterology" -zone "General" -zone "General Paediatrics" -zone "General Surgery" -zone "Genetics" -zone "Genetics Research" -zone "Graphics Centre" -zone "Growth & Development Clinic" -zone "Haematology/Oncology" -zone "Health Records" -zone "HSC Foundation" -zone "Human Resources" -zone "Immunology" -zone "Infectious Diseases" -zone "Information Services" -zone "Internal Audit" -zone "Interpreter Services" -zone "IS 180 Dundas" -zone "Learning Disabilities" -zone "Library" -zone "Marketing" -zone "McM Respiratory Rsch" -zone "Medical Affairs" -zone "Trama Centre" -zone "Pathology" -zone "Patient Accounts" -zone "Surgical Research" -zone "Stores" -zone "Social Work" -zone "SCAN Program" -zone "Safe Kids" -zone "Rheumatology" -zone "Revenue Accounting" -zone "Respiratory Therapy" -zone "Res. Computing" -zone "Res. Admin." -zone "Rehab Services" -zone "Redevelopment" -zone "Quality Assurance" -zone "Purchasing" -zone "Public Affairs" -zone "Public" -zone "Psychology" -zone "Protection Services" -zone "Program Admin" -zone "PONC" -zone "Poison Control" -zone "POCU" -zone "PICU Bedside" -zone "PICU Admin" -zone "Pharmacy" -zone "Payroll" -zone "Patient Representative" -zone "Orthotics" -zone "Paediatric Admin" -zone "Trauma Centre" -zone "Default Zone" -zone "Patient Information Services" -zone "Paediatric Dentistry" -zone "Orthopaedic Surgery" -zone "Orthopaedic Clinic" -zone "Ophthalmology" -zone "Occupational Health & Safety" -zone "Nursing Main Floor" -zone "Nursing Admin" -zone "Nursing 8th Floor" -zone "Nursing 7th Floor" -zone "Nursing 6th Floor" -zone "Nursing 5th Floor" -zone "Nursing 4th Floor" -zone "Nursing 1st Floor" -zone "Nursing 10th Floor" -zone "Nursing" -zone "NICU" -zone "Neurosurgery" -zone "Neurosciences" -zone "Neurology" -zone "Nephrology" -zone "Neonatology" -zone "Mother Risk" -zone "Microbiology" -zone "Micro Support Centre" -zone "Medical Engineering" -zone "Medical Education" -zone "Volunteer Services" -zone "Urology" -zone "Treasury" -zone "Urodynamics"

thanks for any advice,

-patrick
-- 
       "There is only one aim in life and that is to live it."
 Karl Shapiro,(1959) from an essay on Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer
	      finger [email-masked] for PGP key
		 http://abragam.med.utoronto.ca/~zinc