Subject: [netatalk-admins] Mac/Samba translation, etc.

From: Jonathan Michael Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:21:31 -0600

Hello--

I'm having some problems which have been brought up on this list before,
but for which no answers have been given.

Here's my problem.

Let's say I download a StuffIt archive from the 'net.  And suppose I
download this onto my NT box.  Then I copy it to my Samba-mounted Linux
box.  Finally, I use Netatalk to copy the file to my Mac, then I attempt to
open the file which now resides on my Mac.  Somehow this file becomes
irreparably trashed during these copy phases and I can't use it.  However,
let's say I, instead of using Netatalk or Samba, force my ftp client to
send the file to my Linux box with ftp, in binary mode.  Then I use fetch
to download the file as a binary and assign the correct creator/type to it.
 Voila!  It works!

This happens also for FileMaker Pro Files, which is especially annoying
considering I actually would like to have these files simply reside on the
server where I can open my database on either platform.  Any ideas?

Jonathan

----
Jonathan Michael Hawkins
Assistant Network Administrator
McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL USA
http://2171142445/support

---

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 02:30:39 +0100

First thing that springs to mind is CR/LF translation in Netatalk, but
you probably have it off, right? Does it matter if there is a proper
file extension at the end of the filename? Do you have the extension
(.sit) mapped in the AppleVolumes.system file? If so, to what? Will it
work with hqx files (I guess the answer is yes, or you have a really big
problem :-) 

/Palle