Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk on FreeBSD 3.0?

From: "Ambrose Li [EDP]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 11:41:42 -0500

In short, has anyone got this combination to work? Following the
README.FreeBSD instructions doesn't seem to work; the system
replies with

starting appletalk daemons:ep1: Invalid argument
Can't configure multicast.
ep0: disabled.ep1: disabled.ep1: disabled.atalkd: zero interfaces, exiting.
 atalkdbind: Can't assign requested address
bind: Can't assign requested address
 nbprgstr papd afpd.
bash-2.02# Jan  4 11:38:26 edp-test1 afpd[270]: main: atp_open: Can't assign requested address
Jan  4 11:38:26 edp-test1 afpd[270]: main: atp_open: Can't assign requested address

I'm pretty sure this is something I've done wrong.

---

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 14:01:39 +0100

> I'm pretty sure this is something I've done wrong.

Hi!

I have the same problem. I just moved a bunch of machines from 2.2
stable to 3.0, and after that atalkd says "de0: disabled.de0: disabled.
zero interfaces, exiting.". I removed the atalkd.conf file, so it could
build a fresh one, but it doesn't happen. 

I assume you have used the FreeBSD ports collection to install Netatalk
(you probably should, it's good stuff). If you have moved to 3.0, I
think you need to rebuild the port after that. There is a patch that
insert some compile-time (pre-processor) stuff for FreeBSD >= 3.0. It
might help. For me, I have a self-patched version of netatalk, so I need
to dig up the patches... :(

Please tell me if rebuilding helps. Also, which 3.0 are you running?
Release? Current? Version of netatalk? I have seen this with FreeBSD 3.0
release and 3.0-current from 1998-12-17, both with
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2.

Regards,
Palle

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 05 Jan 1999 19:02:37 +0100

>> to dig up the patches... :(

Hello everyone.

I encountered the same problem when switching from 2.x to 3.0 (stock,
the first one released).

I mailed A Sun and he answered me that there's a port in FreeBSD 3.0 for
netatalk-asun. That is true. It is for 2.1.0 asun's version. 
I applied the patch named "patch-af" (the other ones just correct
Makefiles or man pages or so). See at the end of my mail.

atalkd is now up and running.

Unfortunately, nbp_rgstr times out once atalkd is up.
I didn't have time enough to look after why.

A Sun, would you mind integrating the "patch-af" in your source tree ?
It is well written for once (using #ifdef) so that it may be safely
integrated without breaking other systems...
(I didn't have time ti check for a newer version of your work that
might integrate already these patches).

Please followup to the list any piece of information about FreeBSD 3.0
and netatalk-asun. I desesperatly need it in order to put a central
host in production...

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

        Thierry

----------------------------------------------------------------------

--- etc/atalkd/multicast.c.orig	Sat Aug 29 09:46:11 1998
+++ etc/atalkd/multicast.c	Mon Nov 23 22:53:21 1998
@@ -305,6 +305,28 @@
 };

+#if __FreeBSD__ >= 2
+#include <osreldate.h>
+#if __FreeBSD_version >= 300000
+
+#include <net/if_dl.h>
+
+/* configure multicast for a given named interface */
+int addmulti(const char *name, const unsigned char *data)
+{
+    struct sockaddr_dl sdl;
+
+    bzero(&sdl, sizeof(struct sockaddr_dl));
+    sdl.sdl_family = AF_LINK;
+    bcopy(ethermulti, LLADDR(&sdl), sizeof(ethermulti));
+    sdl.sdl_alen = sizeof(ethermulti);
+    sdl.sdl_len = sizeof(sdl);
+    if (ifconfig(name, SIOCADDMULTI, &sdl))
+      return -1;
+
+    return 0;
+}
+#else
 /* configure multicast for a given named interface */
 int addmulti(const char *name, const unsigned char *data)
 {
@@ -317,6 +339,8 @@
 
     return 0;
 }
+#endif /* __FreeBSD_version >= 300000 */
+#endif /* __FreeBSD__ >= 2 */
 
 static u_int16_t
 atalk_cksum( data, len )

---

From: Julian Elischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 12:29:20 -0800 (PST)

> README.FreeBSD instructions doesn't seem to work; the system
What version of FreeBSD?
we have it working here....

---

From: Julian Elischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 12:31:18 -0800 (PST)

The multicast interface changed in 3.0 (I think a stupid thing but I'm not
in charge of that part of the system) so it needs a patch which I THINK
may be in the port.

---

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 00:41:36 +0100

Seems to be /usr/ports/net/netatalk-asun/patches/patch-af,

It patches etc/atalkd/multicast.c.

BTW, since I need to recompile my netatalk, I might as well upgrade it,
but I have patched it to save filenames with the ISO8859-1 character
set. These changes are not quite working anymore, I think since some
long file name stuff came into the code. Does anyone have a working set
of patches, or a hint where in the code to look for file name
alterations, apart from  
etc/afpd/desktop.c? asun says he will do this sometime soon, but I need
it working sort of now... :{

TIA!

/Palle

---

From: "Ambrose Li [EDP]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 12:33:52 -0500

Hi,

> to dig up the patches... :(

No, I don't have the ports collection. I just grabbed the netatalk sources
from u.washington and built it. It's a fresh install (for both FreeBSD and
netatalk - we are evaluating the platform); there's nothing to rebuild :-(

> netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2.

I'm using 3.0-release, netatalk-1.4b2+pre-asun2.1.2.

-- 
Ambrose C. Li / +1 416 321 0088 / Ming Pao Newspapers (Canada) Ltd.
EDP department / All views expressed here are my own; they may or
may not represent the views of my employer.

---

From: Julian Elischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:49:27 -0800 (PST)

you should always use the ports..
even if you just grab the few files related to the port you are looking
at installing.

it will let you use pkg_delete to unistall it and other 
luxuries.. (as well as installing in the right places)

julian

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 03:09:14 +1000

With the subject-mentioned clients, and netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.2...  I get 
blank Document icons for netatalk volume icons (whether there's a custom icon 
or not for it).  I thought you fixed this before (you had it mentioned in a 
release notes file).

Note: file operations seem to work normally (though there are unsightly 
displays of things that should be hidden, like "Icon\r" files, Network Trash 
Folders, etc).  What's the deal?

I do realise that this configuration is on the bleeding (trailing!) edge of 
compatibility...  but it is strange for my users, who see icons on the OS 8.x 
boxes, and then blank document icons on 7.x ones.  Is there some weirdness 
still present in the icon code?  

=Robert=