Subject: [netatalk-admins] You won't believe this ...

From: "J. Guy Stalnaker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:44:45 -0600

Yeeeeeee haaaaah!

The damn system finally works.  It took about a dozen compiles playing
around with various combinations of Makefile alterations, but last night
at 12:30am, I finally logged into my Linux box, from my Mac, using
AppleShare (printing has been working for a week).

What did I do to get a fully functional atalk?

In the main Makefile is a line

TCPWRAPPERS=/usr

The comment text says to leave this line uncommented out if you have
tcpwrappers installed.  Slackware 3.6 comes with tcpwrappers installed
and configured, so I've never touched this line.  But, this line is
supposed to point to the location of the tcpwrappers library AND the
tcpd.h include file.  Now, most of you will know that one is highly
unlikely to find library files in /usr, but in /usr/lib or some such.
Also, one is not likely to find include files in /usr, but in
/usr/include or some such.  And one will probably not find both library
and include files in the same directory in any case.  My solution?
Create /usr/tcpw, and put aliases to /usr/lib/libcwrap.a and
/usr/incluce/tcpd.h in it.  Change

TCPWRAPPERS=/usr to TCPWRAPPERS=/usr/tcpw

I moved the old netatalk installation point /usr/local/atalk to
/usr/local/atalk.old, did a make clean ; make ; make install.

Now everything works.  But only if I run rc.atalk *from
/usr/local/atalk/etc*.  No matter what I do with config files, whether I
copy the entire file or put symlinks in /etc, the various daemons will
not load from the correct .conf files unless I run rc.atalk from the
same directory in which those .conf files reside (so I've put a rc.atalk
symlink in /etc/rc.d/ to /usr/local/atalk/etc/rc.atalk).  But, frankly,
at this point and after TWO MONTHS, I don't give a damn.  It's now
working.

Anders, you might consider putting this in the netatalk HOWTO, as I've
found noone who even remotely suggested this course of action as a fix,
and it seems to me that it's a rather crucial step.  I wonder how many
other people on Slackware systems have encountered this problem.  For
the longest time the only evidence of an error was an "invalid password"
response when one attempted to log in (since atalk was broadcasting
correctly as was afpd and the linux box showed up in the Mac's Chooser
as expected).  Since I had Shadow password support compiled in, I
couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going wrong (and I can't
tell you how many man pages I've read in the past week).  Just on a
fluke I was re-reading your HOWTO for the correct steps, and after
reading the section on tcpwrappers, I looked at the Makefile line and
suddenly realized that as it was, it ought not to work.

Finally, thank you, thank you, thank you, to the many people who've been
kind enough to read my long, exhaustive posts to netatalk-admins and
linux-atalk.  I work in the computer industry doing support (about 20%
of my job) and I've always believed that the more information one has to
work with, the more likely one is to come up with the solution, hence my
long posts.  I also know that they're not the usual kind of post one
gets via email lists.  You, collectively, have been kind and helpful.
That's what makes the Linux community so very, very cool.

Regards,

Guy
*-------------------------------------------------------------*
                        J. Guy Stalnaker
 DoIT-Emerging Media Tech.              [email-masked]
 5752 Tokay Blvd., Suite 200                  wk. 608.263.8035
 Madison WI 53719-1220                        fax 608.265.6681
*-------------------------------------------------------------*