Subject: [netatalk-admins] Mac OS 8.5 and Minicad 7

From: "Eric and Catherine Thompson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 16:46:49 -0800

A client-crashing/file-corruption problem seems to have coincided with a
recent upgrade to OS 8.5.  Minicad has started to freeze, crashing the
client g3 mac, and the CAD file that was open becomes corrupted.  In
addition, the file apparently grows in size to several hundred MB's.  I'm
not sure yet whether this problem is between OS 8.5 and Minicad, or between
OS 8.5 and the version of Netatalk that my server is currently running.  Has
anyone had a similar problem?  I vaguely recall someone having a problem
with files becoming huge, but I can't find that mail.

???

Thanks for any input.

Eric Thompson

_____________________

eTc Computer Consultants

f/F 925-754-0664

[email-masked]
_____________________

---

From: Chris Dircks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 01:43:35 -0800 (PST)

That was my message about huge files.  I am running 8.5 and
netatalk+asun1.42b on linux (redhat), and am having similar problems.
There is a posibility that my system is more stable now.  (hasnt been
stress tested yet, but we'll see!)

I was mount 4 volumes off of a 7G partition.  on the off chance that that
was too large a partition, i made it into 2G+2G+3G.

Immediately after this, any time I opened a program on the client by
clicking on the file, I would get system freeze, and sometimes large
files. (or corruption)

I thought that this might have something to do with the .Appledouble
permissions not being set right.  I checked, and by default, they were
"rwxr-xr-x"/"rw-r--r--" (dirs/files).  I changed them all to
"rwxrwxr-x"/"rw-rw-r--", and that seemed to fix at least the top level
problem.  I didnt have time to put it through the paces, but it seems fine
now.

Is it possible that this setup sets the gid instead of uid to read/write
.AppleDouble stuff?  If anybody knows, please share the knowledge.