Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] mac to linux file transfer

From: Carl Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 21:41:41 +1000

On 6/4/99 17:12 fred orispaa wrote:

>connects and starts up transfers, but will transfer about a meg, then pause
>for 
>a minute or two, transfer another meg, pause, etc, until around 5 megs when
>it 
>just times out. 

I had a problem with my powerbook like this ever since I got it. It would 
transfer  768K then pause for a while the start again and eventually 
timeout. 768K is the buffer size in open transport and if you adjust this 
buffer size the the amount transferred before the pause changes 
accordingly. We also had a 7200 desktop and a 3400 powerbook which had 
the same problem. 

The only fix I have found is to use a D-Link hub which was the brand 
recommended by Apple support when I reported the problem.

I have tried with multiple brands of hubs including planet, netgear, 
acton, HP, 3Com and D-link. We have two netgear hubs one works at 100KB/s 
while the other runs at about 10KB/s. The D-Link runs at 900KB/s.

Regards

Carl

+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| CARL OLSEN                       Email: [email-masked]  |
| Key Software Pty. Ltd.           Phone: +61-2-9314-5812        |
| Database & Network Consultants   Fax:   +61-2-9398-4294        |
+----------------------------------------------------------------+