Subject: [netatalk-admins] uams and various platforms

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 00:28:55 -0700 (PDT)

hi all,

i just finished putting together a setup for dynamically loaded user
authentication modules. right now, i'm having afpd spit out what
modules it's loading and what uams each module is establishing.
before i unleash it for the masses to test, i need some info on the
various operating systems that netatalk supports. if you have access
to a non-linux machine, i need the following info:

  1) whether or not you have dlopen et al. if you don't, i'll need to
     know what the equivalent stuff is. for example, i already have
     what os x server needs. in addition, i need to know whether or
     not symbols get "_" prepended to them. 

  2) relevant flags for modules. mostly, you just need to tell me
     whether or not the standard -fPIC/-shared flags will work, or if
     you need something else.

  3) relevant flags for symbol exporting by the executable. again,
     i just need the equivalent of -rdynamic.

  4) oh yeah, remind me if crypt() needs -lcrypt or not as all of the
     uam-specific libraries get linked in with each module and not the
     main application now.

beyond that, the addition of plug-in uams means that the old-style way
of selecting authentication methods is going to disappear. everything
now gets handled by -uampath and -uamlist in afpd.conf. i'll make
available equivalent flags on the commandline as well. by default, the
available uams will be uam_guest.so and uam_clrtxt.so. uam_clrtxt.so
will be a link to either uam_pam.so or uam_passwd.so, depending upon
whether or not you have pam support.

finally, i'd be interested in knowing what uams people are working on
and any specific needs they might have. i think i have enough
interface bits so that everything's pretty much abstracted, but i want
to be sure.

-a
[email-masked]