Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and a QMS-PS 410 behind an Asante LocalTalk bridge?

From: Hauke Fath <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 20:36:19 +0100 (CET)

Hi, 

I have got a problem or two running an old QMS-PS 410 via an Asanté LocalTalk 
bridge.

First, when I try to print, all I get is 

Jan 12 20:15:44 q700 lpd[2562]: q700.hf.org requests printjob ps
Jan 12 20:17:12 q700 lpd[2579]: q700.hf.org requests printjob ps
Jan 12 20:17:13 q700 ofpap[2580]: starting for ?
Jan 12 20:17:13 q700 ofpap[2580]: sending to pap[2581]
Jan 12 20:17:13 q700 ofpap[2580]: straight text
Bad response!
Bad response!
Bad response!

and then an endless stream of "Bad response!".

/etc/printcap has

# QMS-PS 410 via LocalTalk bridge
ps|QMS-PS 410 on AppleTalk:\
        :sd=/var/spool/output/ps:\
        :lp=/var/spool/output/ps/null:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :pw#80:sh:sf:\
        :of=/usr/contrib/share/atalk/filters/ofpap:\
        :if=/usr/contrib/share/atalk/filters/ifpap:\
        :tf=/usr/contrib/share/atalk/filters/tfpap:\
        :df=/usr/contrib/share/atalk/filters/dfpap:

This is on NetBSD/mac68k, both -current (with current Netatalk-asun)
and 1.3.2 (with Netatalk 1.4b2 + NetBSD patches).

Second, the é of Asanté hoses the xterm from which nbplkup it is called: I get
only graphical characters afterwards.

[hauke@q700] ~ > nbplkup
                           q700:AFPServer                          65280.236:128
                           q700:netatalk                           65280.236:4
                           q700:Workstation                        65280.236:4
                       espresso:AFPServer                          65280.68:128
                       espresso:netatalk                           65280.68:4
                       espresso:Workstation                        65280.68:4
                     DECRC_E204:AsantPrint                        65280.247:252
                     QMS-PS 410:LaserWriter                        65280.248:128
[hauke@q700] ~ > 

- notice that the é is missing here, and in the original output all
after the é was graphics.

Does anybody out there use the Asanté bridge?

	hauke

-- 
Now without signature.