Subject: [netatalk-admins] mounting root w. Netatalk

From: Joe Auty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 19:23:59 -0500

how do I mount the root directory of my server with Netatalk? I'm hoping
once I get root mounted, I can easily backup my Linux server through the
MacOS.

Thanks in advance!

---

From: Jeremy Kemp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 18:55:38 -0600 (CST)

just add the following line in your ~/.AppleVolumes file:

	/ Root

and make sure the user logging in has at least rw- access to /.

> once I get root mounted, I can easily backup my Linux server through the

Jeremy Kemp
<[email-masked]>

One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman
Empire was that, lacking zero, they had no way
to indicate successful termination of their C programs. 
-- Robert Firth

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 19:20:17 -0800 (PST)

You should have at least one warning in attempting to perform backups of
files from a Mac over Netatalk of a *nix shared volume:
1) File permissions will not be duplicated
2) Ownership of files will not be included
3) special set-UID, sticky bit, set GUI etc flags will not be included
4) files like /etc/shadow are likely yo not be readable by a common user
5) You will probably be able to keep modification dates, but not all
date/time stamps associated with each file.

[original message truncated:]
On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Jeremy Kemp wrote:
> Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] mounting root w. Netatalk

---

From: Joe Auty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 01:36:56 -0500

thanks to all for this help.. I've decided it would be smarter to backup via
another HD/tape drive and tar, since permissions won't be saved going to
MacOS...

thanks again for this info!!