Subject: [netatalk-admins] AppleTalk Addresses

From: "Daniel E. Lautenschleger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 07:33:44 -0600

I have several Linux boxes running Netatalk. Bear with me as I'm not that 
familiar with the AppleTalk protocol.

I see how one can go into the AppleTalk control panel and view the 
AppleTalk address for a particular machine. My question is how do you 
determine the AppleTalk address that a router is assigning to a Linux box. 
I'm assuming the address is assigned by the router. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Also, is there a software program that allows you to resolve AppleTalk 
addresses to hardware addresses on a network?

Thanks, folks.

Dan

Daniel E. Lautenschleger, MCP
Network Administrator & Computer Support
Robert M. Bock Laboratories
[email-masked]
voice: 608-262-3403
fax: 608-262-4570

---

From: Benjamin Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 01:42:27 +1100 (EST)

> I'm assuming the address is assigned by the router. Sorry if I'm wrong.

It is assigned by the route if you don't put -seed in the atalk.conf file.

run ifconfig, and it shows you your address:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:4B:6A:4F:F5  
          inet addr:192.168.10.1  Bcast:192.168.10.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
-- >>     EtherTalk Phase 2 addr:10/10
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:3308 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:1
          TX packets:8686 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:181
          collisions:0 

> addresses to hardware addresses on a network?

not sure about this. should be something about though.

> [email-masked]

-- Ben

/----------------------------------------------+------------------------\
| Benjamin Lee                                 |                        |
| Internet Administrator                       |  Mobile:  0416 122 779 |
| PowerNET Computer Consultants P/L            |  Fax:   +613 9425 9091 |
| 50 Madden Grove, Burnley 3121 VIC Australia  |  Phone: +613 9425 9090 |
\----------------------------------------------+------------------------/

"Well," Brahma said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is no
wiser, but an intelligent man requires only two thousand five hundred."
                -- The Mahabharata.

---

From: Andrew Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 08:52:23 -0800 (PST)

> I'm assuming the address is assigned by the router. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Type "ifconfig" to look at the configuration of each network interface.
You should see a line which lists the Ethernet Phase 2 address.  That is
your Appletalk address.

> addresses to hardware addresses on a network?

There is not a program to do this, but the information is available in the
/proc filesystem.  Try "cat /proc/net/aarp".

	Andy