Subject: [netatalk-admins] Intel Cards/Driver Must Be A Problem

From: "Frank Morton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 22:43:20 -0500

>Thanks. I installed my 3com Etherlink III card (3c509 driver) and
>everything works just fine. Apparently, the Intel Ether Express can't
>handle the multicast, I guess. But, the good news is that the 3com
>Etherlink III (3C509B model) works just great. So if you were keeping a
>compatibility list somewhere, you can add that info.

Just want to reconfirm that I have been having multicasting
related problems with the intel card, too and will be swapping
out to a 3com card tomorrow like the rest of my machines.

---

From: Dudley Lamming <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:51:39 EDT

Updating to the latest version of the eepro100 driver (1.02, i think),
and setting "options eepro100 multicast_filter_limit=3" in
conf.modules solved all of the problems with multicast we were
having. It probably reduces throughput a bit, though. 

-------------
Dudley Lamming                    3 Ames Street, Munroe 501
(617)225-6501                     Cambridge, MA, 02139
http://web.mit.edu/dlamming/www
You go to your room, and you see cows!

---

From: Cameron Hart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:51:51 +1200

Hi there, to get the eepro100 to work with AppleTalk services under Linux
you need build the driver as a module, and in /etc/modules.conf add
alias eth0 eepro100
options eepro100 multicast_filter_limit=3

Thats seems to sort it out, otherwise it causes complete havoc on your
network. Hopefully I got the name of that parameter correct, if it's not
quite right, get back to me and I'll look it up.

Cam.