Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Samba/Unix File Management vs. Resource Forks?

From: Clemens Anhuth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:16:08 +0200

> Turns out the Mac guys would put the files on the server,
> then one of the creative types working on a PC would move
> them to a different drive or just move them around and poof,
> gone was the resource fork - THE important part of a System 7
> sound file.

i just tried this.

creating a copy of a file with windows nt explorer on the nt server
(4.0, sp3) itself (locally) does copy the fork containing a custom
icon properly.

doing this via networking on a win95 machine strips away that fork,
resulting in the copy of the file having an empty standard icon
again.

we noticed windows nt setting file creators of different files to
text or something like that as well, which resulted in netatalk
applying crlf translation (which resulted in one of the developer
guys standing in my office with a red face in turn one day).

it's a conceptual problem, rooted in "physically" separating single
files into different parts and the rest of the world considering
files to be just a linear arrangement of bits, isn't it?