Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Option to disable AppleDouble

From: "Paul Khristolubov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:20:20 +0800

Nicholas,

Here's a excerpt from somewhere in the docs.

# volume format:
# path [name] [casefold=x] [codepage=y] [options=z,l,j] \
#   [access=a,@b,c,d] [dbpath=path] [password=p]
..
# miscellaneous options
# noadouble           -> don't create .AppleDouble unless a resource
#                        fork needs to be created.

But my experience with netatalk shows, that every directory still has
.AppleDouble inside even with this option set. Maybe Macintosh clients need
resource forks of some temporary files? So, could you pass me a script that
removes .AppleDoubles ;)

-- pk | mailto:[email-masked] | icq:12399861 | front end back-end

> Is there a way of disabling the creatation of AppleDouble files for the
> resource fork of Mac files. I am developing a Macintosh interface for a
> database system we have here. We do not use the resource fork for these
> files becuase it is based around UNIX, however it keeps on createing
> .AppleDouble directories. This is very useful for the Mac files we keep on
> the server but it would be nice to be able to turn off AppleDouble on a per
> share basis.
>
> At present I have a cron script which just deletes all of these directories
> but it would be nice if they were never created in the first place.

---

From: Nicholas Humfrey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:33:42 +0100

>#                        fork needs to be created.
Doesn't work for me. What version of the Netatalk docs did you find this in ?
I tried doing this but it just changed the name of the volume to noadouble.
It would be nice if it worked.

>So, could you pass me a script that removes .AppleDoubles ;)

Well it is not really a script, it just uses the wonderful 'find' command:

find /path/to/apple/share -type d -name .AppleDouble | xargs /bin/rm -R

Simple but it work very well. Just make sure you don't delete any resource
forks you should be keeping....

Nicholas