Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] which version?

From: Benjamin Gilbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 17:53:27 -0600

At 12/7/99 7:55 AM, Dejan Muhamedagic ([email-masked]) wrote:
>Which version of netatalk should I use: netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 or
>pre-asun2.1.4-35.tar?

I would go with pre-asun2.1.4-36a.  There are some important bug fixes in 
there vs. 2.1.3, and it seems stable enough.

<ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing/pre-asun2.1.4-36a.tar.gz>

--Benjamin Gilbert

---

From: Lars <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 11:43:21 +0100

on 00:53 08.12.99 , Benjamin Gilbert wrote ">"

Benjamin,
><ftp://ftp.cobaltnet.com/pub/users/asun/testing/pre-asun2.1.4-36a.tar.gz>

just followed your advice. Everything works well but: PERFORMANCE is bad.
This was benchmarked with Helios Lantest on a 100Mbit node, G3 266 (beige) 
and linux 2.2.13 with a 3com 905btx (3com's drivers).

with pre-asun2.1.4-36a.tar.gz:
file write/read (3000k) - 7xxkB/sec / 10xxkB/sec

with pre-asun2.1.4-35.tar.gz:
file write/read (3000k) - 1xxxkB/sec / 10xxkB/sec

This is on my private/experimental "net".

For the speed freaks among us (like me):
(benched with HLantest) I / we have reached beyond the 10MB/sec on a 
433Celeron (linux 2.2.13 / 3com905btx / Dlink 1024 switch) serving to 
gray/white G4's and some green/white G3's (some are slower, some faster 
:-|    ). Due to the nature of a switch and the elimination of packet 
collisions, even the G3 266 powerbooks (10xxkB) have profited with much 
more stamina while getting files which another user is getting also.

Raid:
I have merged a 9GB IBM SCSI with a 27GB IBM IDE in linear mode. As always 
everything seems to be running smoothly. The setup was quit a bit off of 
the RAID HOWTO. If interested, feel free to contact me for details.

regards,
Lars

---
netpage wiesbaden
tel 0611.9812042
http://www.netpage.de

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 10:15:33 -0800

umm. as there should be no performance changes between pre-35 and
pre-36a, i'm a little confused by these numbers. i get 2600KB/s writes
with a 100BaseT connection to the Blue Box running os 8.6. needless to
say, it's much higher if i use the native 8.6.

-a