Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Samba/Unix File Management vs. Resource Forks?

From: Clemens Anhuth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:02:39 +0200

Matthew Keller <[email-masked]> wrote:

> 	Hmmm... I just tried it with a MS Word file, and there was no
> corruption when the Mac or Windows box tried to open the copied
> file.

i would explain this with the assumption that all ms applications
certainly try to stay away from using additional fork information,
as that would directly interfere with the need to be able to simply
exchange mac-created word files with pc users.

but sticking to your example:

open the properties of a file with a different icon image than word
files on your mac, click on the image in the upper left corner,
press apple-c, close the window.

now open the properties for your word document, click on the image,
press apple-v, close the window.

this particular document should now be displayed with that other
image.

no go and copy this word document via unix or windows to a different
directory. you will find that it no longer shows that other image
anymore, and not even the old image as i found when i tried that
here (probably because creator information, etc. gets lost with this
too i would think).

this of course is a trivial example. imagine a macintosh
application, etc. which actually stores important information that
must not get lost this way...

this problems is nothing one might run into very often i guess,
which makes the issue even less desireable as this will look like
random file trashing to mac-users.

(we also suffer from suse's 6.1 netatalk package automatically doing
crlf translation, i have been unable to compile and/or run neither
suse's 6.1 sources coming along with suse 6.1 nor adrian's latest
version. contacting suse the support guy told me that the new
netatalk (and samba) packages are done and only need to be published
now - but until today nothing has moved at suse. i guess they rather
want us to buy suse 6.2 instead, eh?)

> Perhaps Netatalk rebuild fork information upon folder access?

imagine netatalk storing the resource fork (there are two (or rather
three, as a colleague just told me) forks used by the mac as far as
i know, data and resource fork) in that .AppleDouble directory
(which is seemingly the case, at least according to the above test i
did):

how do you restore whatever data is kept in the data fork? all the
application specific icons, dialogs, menus, etc.?

as far as my understanding goes, that can't be done, unless that
app- and file-specific information is stored somewhere else on the
server as well.

(assuming this is the issue it seems to be to me, couldn't this be
solved by implementing .AppleDouble, etc. -handling into samba?
couldn't the exact same routines from netatalk be used in samba for
renaming, deleting, moving, etc. files to also handle the additional
information stored in the filesystem by netatalk?)

my boss told me that helios ethershare suffers from the exact same
problem btw.

(as we are there, anyone know how to disable the crlf translation
for helios ethershare (without recompilation, etc. preferably)? :o)
)

---

From: Wenchi Liao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 10:17:10 -0500

>here (probably because creator information, etc. gets lost with this

Presumably, on the unix side, this can be addressed with a
script that ``mv'' the file as well as the related
.Appledouble file. xinet's appleshare software has a
command (ksmv, ksrm, etc) that allows users on irix to move
stuff around without losing this info.

WL