Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk under os X?

From: John Ostrowick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:43:14 +0200 (SAT)

hi all

sorry (i'm not on this list anymore) but i was wondering if it's possible
to get netatalk to work under macos X server (aka rhapsody). i strongly
dislike the way apple has handled their own fileservice under their own
os, and would rather use netatalk. currenlty i *am* - but under linux.

anyone know?

____________________________________________________________
John Ostrowick                             +27 (11) 716-3783
Computer Science Department, University of the Witwatersrand   
Web site, ftp site and listserv all available at: 
http://macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za/

---

From: Julian Elischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 11:05:26 -0700 (PDT)

Macos X is basically a BSD interface.
you could start with the FreeBSD port of Appletalk..
THey do however have their own higher level stack elements in the kernel.
BSD just implements DDP (the IP equivalent) int hekernel, but
leaves ATP and other higher protocols to the userland. I believe
MACOS-X has ATP and friends in the kernel, so you may need to disable them
or in some other way bypass them to get netatalk to work well.
(also their routing and control interfaces will be somewhat different
(but probably more complete)).

julian

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 11:24:53 -0700 (PDT)

umm, i just sent an email to john about this. didn't i make an
announcement here that i had ported netatalk to os x server (as well
as the tcp/ip bit to a bunch of other operating systems)? it requires
some missing appletalk header files from the darwin source, but that's
about all. in addition, i didn't really touch the routing code as that
would require some interfacing with the rtmp layer.

in case you're interested in some of the porting issues i ran into, i
have an email on apple's macos-x-server mailing list discussing
things. basically, os x server is bsd4.4 minus a bunch of odds and
ends.

-a