Subject: RE: [netatalk-admins] a cold wind bloweth

From: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 14:43:27 -0700

>> At 15:09 Uhr +0200 06.06.1999, Roland Schulz wrote:
>> >I for myself would rather see a normal, ordinary tgz
>> 
>> I fully agree. And it's easier to extract by hand.
>
>I think both of you look at this in a very limited way.  I think there
>should be both. 

Exactly, I heartily agree.

I love RPM packages, but prefer to roll my own from original sources.  It
would be stupid to only produce RPM files and it would be a shortcoming to
produce only *.tar.gz files.

What might be a good idea is to support "official" packages - of any format
- that are maintained by someone else.  Then the netatalk people could
concentrate on the code and those of us that don't code so well could
concentrate on the packages.

Marc

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 15:29:52 -0700 (PDT)

this is all getting really silly. i understand that there are several
rpmed versions of netatalk out there. nobody, however, has bothered
sending me the rpm bits for any of them. that's a hint.

-a

---

From: Rich Lafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:18:29 -0400

> sending me the rpm bits for any of them. that's a hint.

There's also two dpkg'd (Debian package) versions out there as well.
They're maintained by Joel Klecker <[email-masked]>; the 'stable'
version is 2.1.1, and the 'unstable' is 2.1.3, where 'stable' and
'unstable' refer to the Debian distributions, not necessarily 
netatalk :-)

Interested parties can try their local debian mirror, or failing that:

ftp.debian.org:/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/net/netatalk_1.4b2+asun2.1.1-2.deb
ftp.debian.org:/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/net/netatalk_1.4b2+asun2.1.3-2.deb

  -Rich

-- 
Rich Lafferty ---------------------------------------------------------
IITS/Computing Services  | "How should I know if it works? That's what
Concordia University     |  beta testers are for. I only coded it" -LT
[email-masked] ----------------------------------------[McQ]--