Subject: [netatalk-admins] RedHat-6.1 / kernel-2.2.13

From: "Mr. Arlington Hewes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 11:53:42 +0000

Folks,

I'm running a freshly build 2.2.13 linux kernel on RedHat-6.1, with appletalk
as a module, and I pulled down the latest Netatalk RPM from RedHat's contrib:

	netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6.src.rpm

rpm --rebuild of this RPM failed. I slurped pre-asun2.1.4-36a.tar.gz and tried 
to build that. Same error as before, undefined reference to 
`yp_get_default_domain':

gcc  -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX    -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fsigned-char -Wunused -Wuninitialized  -I../../include  -DAPPLCNAME   -c quota.c -o quota.o
gcc  -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX    -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fsigned-char -Wunused -Wuninitialized  -I../../include  -DAPPLCNAME   -c uam.c -o uam.o
gcc  -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX    -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fsigned-char -Wunused -Wuninitialized  -I../../include  -DAPPLCNAME   -c afs.c -o afs.o
gcc  -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX    -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fsigned-char -Wunused -Wuninitialized  -I../../include  -DAPPLCNAME -rdynamic -o afpd unix.o ofork.o main.o switch.o auth.o volume.o directory.o file.o enumerate.o desktop.o filedir.o fork.o appl.o gettok.o status.o afp_options.o afp_asp.o afp_dsi.o messages.o config.o nfsquota.o codepage.o quota.o uam.o afs.o -L../../libatalk     -latalk   -lwrap  -lrpcsvc   -ldl 
/usr/lib/libwrap.a(hosts_access.o): In function `host_match':
hosts_access.o(.text+0x400): undefined reference to `yp_get_default_domain'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [afpd] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/etc/afpd'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/etc/afpd'
make[2]: *** [afpd] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/etc'
make[1]: *** [../../etc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4/sys/linux'
make: *** [all] Error 2

The only reason I'm trying all of this is that I installed the glibc6 contrib 
RPM:

	[root@osmin src]# rpm -qa | egrep atalk
	netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6

but it does not seem to work. Although the module is loaded:

[root@osmin netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4]# /sbin/lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
appletalk              17248  12  (autoclean)
via-rhine               9156   1  (autoclean)
raid5                  19208   1  (autoclean)

and afpd is loaded:

Nov  5 18:55:04 osmin atalk: atalkd startup succeeded
Nov  5 18:55:16 osmin papd[2774]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Nov  5 18:55:16 osmin atalk: papd startup succeeded
Nov  5 18:55:17 osmin atalk: afpd startup succeeded
Nov  5 18:55:23 osmin afpd[2785]: osmin:AFPServer@* started on 65280.213:128 (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
Nov  5 18:55:23 osmin afpd[2785]: ASIP started on 194.129.29.4:548(1) (1.4b2+asun2.1.3) 

it does not appear in any of our Mac's choosers.

Thanks for any advice. Anyone else using netatalk with 2.2.13?

-DPN

---

From: "Mr. Arlington Hewes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 13:01:11 +0000

I decided to test afpd even though I was unable to see it in the chooser. I 
specified the server IP address, and was asked to login, leading to the 
following session:

Nov  5 20:34:26 osmin PAM_pwdb[4300]: (netatalk) session opened for user darren by (uid=0)
Nov  5 20:34:26 osmin afpd[4300]: login darren (uid 529, gid 100)
Nov  5 20:34:33 osmin afpd[4300]: logout
Nov  5 20:34:33 osmin afpd[4300]: 0.11KB read, 0.08KB written
Nov  5 20:34:33 osmin PAM_pwdb[4300]: (netatalk) session closed for user darren
Nov  5 20:34:33 osmin afpd[4291]: server_child[1] 4300 done

Still, afpd does not show up in the chooser.

Ideas?

-D

---

From: Joel Klecker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 07:42:31 -0800

At 11:53 +0000 1999-11-05, Mr. Arlington Hewes wrote:
>gcc  -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX    -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer 
>-fsigned-char -Wunused -Wuninitialized  -I../../include  -DAPPLCNAME 
>-c quota.c -o quota.o
>gcc  -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX    -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer 
>-fsigned-char -Wunused -Wuninitialized  -I../../include  -DAPPLCNAME 
>-c uam.c -o uam.o
>gcc  -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX    -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer 
>-fsigned-char -Wunused -Wuninitialized  -I../../include  -DAPPLCNAME 
>-c afs.c -o afs.o
>gcc  -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_LINUX    -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer 
>-fsigned-char -Wunused -Wuninitialized  -I../../include  -DAPPLCNAME 
>-rdynamic -o afpd unix.o ofork.o main.o switch.o auth.o volume.o 
>directory.o file.o enumerate.o desktop.o filedir.o fork.o appl.o 
>gettok.o status.o afp_options.o afp_asp.o afp_dsi.o messages.o 
>config.o nfsquota.o codepage.o quota.o uam.o afs.o -L../../libatalk 
>-latalk   -lwrap  -lrpcsvc   -ldl

Your libwrap.a was compiled with netgroup support, so it needs -lnsl. 
You need to pass TCPWRAPLIBS="-lwrap -lnsl" to make.
-- 
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:[email-masked]>                 <URL:mailto:[email-masked]>
<URL:http://web.espy.org/>               <URL:http://www.debian.org/>

---

From: Sascha Knific <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 02:03:32 +0100

Hi,

> raid5                  19208   1  (autoclean)

Ok, you have a via-rhine based network card. This cards / driver (?)
have problems with multicasting. This is used heavily by the AppleTalk
protocol.

That is why...

> it does not appear in any of our Mac's choosers.

Try changing the settings of your ethernet device e.g. eth0

"ifconfig eth0 allmulti"

As I can remenber this setting will make your ethernet card listening
to all multicasting packets on the network.
The broken or whatever multicast filter code in the driver or
network card won´t  get used and everything is fine.

This are the information I found out about this problem and I really
don´t no much about the real technical problems, but this is my
explanation.

Good luck,

Sascha Knific

---

From: Tony Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 09:04:50 +0100

> have problems with multicasting. This is used heavily by the AppleTalk

Hey gang!

Remember all those printing woes?

Guess who has a via-rhine card?

Thanks for the heads up Sascha - go have a virtual beer on me

Cheers

Tony Grant