Subject: [netatalk-admins] atalk compile question

From: "J. Guy Stalnaker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:09:52 -0600

Hi all,

In the netatalk/src/linux Makefile is the following:

# if you aren't using pam and are using glibc, you'll need to add -lcrypt
# if you're using libc5, you'll need to take out the -lrpcsvc

Q: how to find out if I'm using glibc or libc5?

The first time I tried to compile/install netatalk 1.4, I encountered a
compile error when the linking (?) got to -lrpcsvc.  So, I'm thinking
that this part of the Makefile is important for me.  I've been unable to
find out how to tell whether I have glibc or libc5 (or even it's an
either/or).  I know about /lib, but there are dozens of files in this
dir.  I checked dmesg, and nothing there seems to indicate anything
pertinant.

I have kernel 2.0.35, Slackware 3.6 installed.

Thanks,

GuyS
*-------------------------------------------------------------*
                        J. Guy Stalnaker
 DoIT-Emerging Media Tech.              [email-masked]
 5752 Tokay Blvd., Suite 200                  wk. 608.263.8035
 Madison WI 53719-1220                        fax 608.265.6681
*-------------------------------------------------------------*

---

From: "Robert B. Bell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:26:42 -0800

>Q: how to find out if I'm using glibc or libc5?
I don't know, but

With the source netatalk+asun, I get a linking error

ld: cannot open -lrpcsvc: No such file or directory

I just change the line in sys/linux/Makefile from
APFLIBS=-lrpsvc
to
##APFLIBS=-lrpsvc
APFLIBS=

netatalk seems to work for me except for a couple of problems
(Network Trash Can, dates on files, and maybe one more with Excel)

>I have kernel 2.0.35, Slackware 3.6 installed.

I have kernel 2.0.35, Linux Pro 5.4

  Robert Bell.

---

From: Colin Postel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:20:37 -0800

>Q: how to find out if I'm using glibc or libc5?

do an "ls -l /lib/libc*"
if you see files like libc.so.5 or libc.so.6 or libc-2.0.7, this should
give you some idea. glibc = libc6

>dir.  I checked dmesg, and nothing there seems to indicate anything

it isn't an either, you can have both.

>I have kernel 2.0.35, Slackware 3.6 installed.

kernel is irrelevant. i think slackware is distributed with libc5 still,
tho i don't know why it hasn't migrated up to glibc.

hope this helps

Colin Postel, System Administrator
Primo Angeli, Inc.
[email-masked]
415 551 1900 ext. 218