Subject: [netatalk-admins] return of alias problems and dancing icons

From: Dave Ritter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 14:48:10 -0700

I just set up two new Linux servers using RedHat 6.1 and
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3. My users are now complaining about alias not
pointing to the right folders after the make them, even after the try the
"alias of an alias" trick. We are also experiencing the "dancing icons"
problem. I thought these problem were fixed in this release. Other servers
that I have set up with netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 do not seem to have this
problem but I have been using Mandrake-Linux 6.5 (based on RedHat 6). Could
this problem be specific to RedHat 6.1?

Anyone else have problems like this?

My users are on System 8.6 - AppleShare client 3.8.3 and 3.8.4

Is the latest release (pre-asun2.1.4-36) any closer to being ready for the
masses, my employer is uncomfortable about using beta software so I really
can't use "pre-asun2.1.4-36" until it is worthy of removing the "pre" from
it's name.

DaveR
[email-masked]

---

From: R Cent <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 20:33:14 -0800 (PST)

> My users are now complaining about alias not pointing to the
> right folders after the make them, even after the try the
> "alias of an alias" trick.
>
> ...this problem be specific to RedHat 6.1?
> 
> ...Anyone else have problems like this?
> 
> ...My users are on System 8.6

I have the alias problem too with the Mandrake 5.3 release of
RH5.2 using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3.  My users have OS 7.6 - OS
8.6.  I'd love to get a work around for this.

_____________________________
Bob Cent 
University of Washington
Box 357330
Seattle, WA  98195-7330  

mailto: [email-masked]
voice:  206.543.1433
fax:    206.685.0305
_____________________________

---

From: Joe Auty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 00:23:10 -0500

> 8.6.  I'd love to get a work around for this.

I have a possible solution to this, install MacOS 9. 9 has a "keychain
access" control panel which remembers passwords for things system wide. I
don't seem to be having any problems with my aliases now, nor do I have to
worry about entering a password!

---

From: "thomas.riewe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 14:14:44 +0100 (CET)

> worry about entering a password!
are you sure ?
are you not just talking about the possibility of getting the share via
the alias resp. the "last-server" ?
can you really create an alias pointing to a directory within a share and
use it ? 
afaik the D.IDs change with every NetATalk-session and therefor you can
use Your alias pointing to a share but not the one pointing to a folder
within that ...

please let me know,
thomas