Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Solaris 2.7 and printing ...

From: Anthony Brock <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:00:59 -0800

>> I have just installed netatalk on Solaris 2.7 (32-Bit) and am currently
>> attempting to get printing to work.
>>
>> As of now, I am able to print TO any network laserwriter, but I cannot
>> spool for external clients.  Could someone please point me in the right
>> direction?
>I posted the following to the 'netalk' mailing list some months ago.

>David S.
>[email-masked]

David,

I ran the script, and made all the appropriate changes listed. After doing
so, I can STILL print to a networked appletalk printer from my Solaris
server, but jobs from remote macs still hang. I get the message about
opening a connection, and then the box remove the message and simply hangs
for a while and then puts me back in the chooser, with the printer
undefined still.

I turned on debugging in syslog, and I recieved the following when
attempting to define the printer for the mac:

*** DEBUG.LOG ***
Jan 27 08:20:06 wes-sun atalkd[2360]: ready 0/0/0
Jan 27 08:20:18 wes-sun papd[2375]: restart (981109)
Jan 27 08:20:24 wes-sun afpd[2377]: wes-sun:AFPServer@* started on
103.152:130 (981109)
Jan 27 08:20:24 wes-sun papd[2375]: register Help Desk:LaserWriter@Newberg
Jan 27 08:20:36 wes-sun papd[2375]: child 2379 for "Help Desk" from 101.194
Jan 27 08:20:53 wes-sun lpsched[199]: dispatch S_INQUIRE_PRINTER_STATUS
Jan 27 08:20:53 wes-sun lpsched[199]: s_inquire_printer_status()
Jan 27 08:20:53 wes-sun lpsched[199]: dispatch S_INQUIRE_PRINTER_STATUS
Jan 27 08:20:53 wes-sun lpsched[199]: s_inquire_printer_status(Help-Desk)
Jan 27 08:20:53 wes-sun lpsched[199]: dispatch S_INQUIRE_REQUEST_RANK
Jan 27 08:20:53 wes-sun lpsched[199]: s_inquire_request_rank(-14032,
Help-Desk, , , , )
Jan 27 08:25:39 wes-sun papd[2375]: child 2389 for "Help Desk" from 101.194
Jan 27 08:25:50 wes-sun papd[2375]: child 2389 done
Jan 27 08:26:29 wes-sun papd[2375]: child 2392 for "Help Desk" from 101.194
Jan 27 08:27:21 wes-sun papd[2379]: connection timed out
Jan 27 08:27:21 wes-sun papd[2375]: child 2379 exited with 1
Jan 27 08:28:12 wes-sun papd[2375]: child 2392 done
*** END LOG ***

However, when I print directly from the server, I recieve:

*** DEBUG.LOG ***
Jan 27 08:38:33 wes-sun papd[2375]: child 2428 for "Help Desk" from 101.194
Jan 27 08:40:37 wes-sun lpsched[199]: dispatch S_ALLOC_FILES
Jan 27 08:40:37 wes-sun lpsched[199]: s_alloc_files(2)
Jan 27 08:40:37 wes-sun lpsched[199]: dispatch S_PRINT_REQUEST
Jan 27 08:40:37 wes-sun lpsched[199]: s_print_request(7-0)
Jan 27 08:40:37 wes-sun lpsched[199]: schedule(EV_SLOWF)
Jan 27 08:40:37 wes-sun lpsched[199]: ev_slowf(wes-sun/7-0)
Jan 27 08:40:37 wes-sun lpsched[199]: exec(EX_SLOWF)
Jan 27 08:40:38 wes-sun lpsched[199]: dispatch S_CHILD_DONE
Jan 27 08:40:38 wes-sun lpsched[199]: s_child_done(567582869, 0, 0, 0)
Jan 27 08:40:38 wes-sun lpsched[199]: schedule(EV_INTERF)
Jan 27 08:40:38 wes-sun lpsched[199]: ev_interf(NULL)
Jan 27 08:40:38 wes-sun lpsched[199]: exec(EX_INTERF)
Jan 27 08:40:38 wes-sun lpsched[199]: schedule(EV_SLOWF)
Jan 27 08:40:38 wes-sun lpsched[199]: ev_slowf(wes-sun/7-0)
Jan 27 08:40:38 wes-sun ofpap[2445]: starting for ?
Jan 27 08:40:38 wes-sun ofpap[2445]: sending to pap[2446]
Jan 27 08:40:38 wes-sun ofpap[2445]: PostScript
Jan 27 08:40:44 wes-sun ofpap[2445]: 2446 done
Jan 27 08:40:44 wes-sun ofpap[2445]: done
Jan 27 08:40:44 wes-sun lpsched[199]: dispatch S_CHILD_DONE
Jan 27 08:40:44 wes-sun lpsched[199]: s_child_done(41568188, 2, 0, 0)
Jan 27 08:46:03 wes-sun papd[2375]: child 2428 exited with 1
*** END LOG ***

This indicates that the lp2pap.sh file is being run (spawning the ofpap
command) and the job is completing when printing locally, but not when
printing from the mac.

Does anyone know what is happening here? I tried starting papd with the -D
option, but it never printed ANYTHING to the terminal, and I only recieved
the same messages in my log file.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Tony

P.S. I have included by papd.conf file below for reference.

*** BEGIN papd.conf ***
Help Desk\:LaserWriter@Newberg:\
	:pr=|/usr/ucb/lpr -PHelp-Desk:\
	:op=lp:\
	:pd=/opt/atalk/etc/ppd/LW12-640PS.PPD:
*** END papd.conf ***

============================================================================
Anthony W. Brock                               Directory of Network Services
[email-masked]                                  George Fox Univerisity
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Anthony Brock <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 13:27:23 -0800

>I just came across your mailing to the NetAtalk list and was wondering
>if you could throw some info my way about how you got netatalk working
>with Solaris 2.7 (or Solaris 7)?
>
>All I want to do is print to a bunch of AppleTalk Laserprinters. I have
>downloaded Adrian Sun's pre-2.1.2-5 but can't get it to compile on my
>Ultra 5 with Solaris 2.7.
>
>Which netatalk distribution did you get to work? Which compiler did you
>use? What mods did you make to the Makefile?
>
>Thanks for any help you can provide.

Okay,

First, I used gcc-2.8.1 compiled on a Sun Sparc Ultra 10.

Second, I have tried and failed to get netatalk working on Solaris 2.7 when
using the 64-bit system.  So, I reinstalled my system with the 32-bit
system.  Once running 32-bit, I was able to compile and run netatalk with
no modifications to either the source code or the makefiles.  Also note, I
installed the solaris operating system (server version) using 'Entire
distribution plus OEM' option (in other words, I dumped everything onto the
harddrive the installation would allow).

I have NOT managed to get anything from Adrian Sun to function.  However, I
have not tried his latest(greatest?) release. I am serious debating if I
will have the time to try and get it working this week (since his latest
announcement leads me to believe it is based of the latest U of Mich code).
Therefore, I have used the U of Mich code found at:

ftp://terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu/unix/netatalk

Once installed and running, I followed the instructions found in the
INSTALL/README.SOLARIS file to setup the initial printing.  However, on my
installation of solaris, the directory created by lpadmin for the printer
is /etc/lp/printers/PRINTERNAME, NOT /etc/lp/PRINTERNAME

I also changed the ownership of the .paprc file to lp:lp

Finally, I have not yet successfully setup print-services FROM a Mac to a
LaserWriter through the unix. However, printing TO the LaserWriter from the
Unix works fine.

Let me know if I need to clarify or omited something,

Tony