Subject: [netatalk-admins] Big Big problems with Trash (data losts...)

From: Yann Bizeul <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1904 22:37:38 +0009 (PMT)

Hi all...

I have really big problem related to the trash, and to on two different
machines running the same version of netatalk (1.4b2+asun 2.1.3)

Some times, one of the connected workstations have inside the trash, a
xhole diretory that should be in a shared directory, the directory itself
is not in Shared volume FOR THIS WORKSTATION ! But other clients connected
see this folder, and trash is empty...
Sure, if the workstation in question empties the trash, the whole
directory is deleted from the server... funny isn't it ?
This does not happened alwas for the same directory...
I tried to do the trick to make de trashCan works with a multi-user
server, so I create Trash Can #3 owned by user1.user1, but that do not
work, always the same message "do u want to delete it immediatly" the
settings for the Network Trash Folder are 666 (rx for everyone) and its
parent directory is set to rwxrwsrwx, this to always apply its own group
for the folder inside...

I'm really going crazy with this. I have aboute 60 users on this server,
risks to delete a folder everyday is considerable...

I really need your help guys.

Thanks

---

From: Michael bartosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 1999 17:40:39 -0500

where might I get the newest snapshot for netatalk?

-mab

Michael Bartosh
                 Oceanography Systems Support Staff
       cell: 409.220.5221
       mail: [email-masked]
       icq: oceanbrtsh

---

From: Michael bartosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 21:49:59 -0500

apologies for the previous erroneous subject-

Hmmm did RH do something flookey w/ the wat /etc/rc.d is run?

Looks like netatalk (and everyhting else) is by default bg'd... ie it 
says 'starting atalk... OK' w/in about 2 seconds instead of the other 
rather lengthy 'Starting atalk daemons...atalk' etc.

Point is once the box is started up, atalk reports to be working. It 
doesn't, tho... no Macs an connect via tcp/ip or trad. atalk.

When, however, I run the startup script w/ the 'stop' flag, and then 
restart it manually (w/ the start flag)  the older script seems to 
echo and w/in a couple of seconds, all daemons start correctly.

Same script run at two different times in two different environments. 
How do I modify the startup environment so atalk is not bgrounded?
Michael Bartosh
                 Oceanography Systems Support Staff
       cell: 409.220.5221
       mail: [email-masked]
       icq: oceanbrtsh