Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: netatalk... sorry to bother you directly

From: Benjamin Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 21:52:44 +1000 (EST)

hi,

you may find this interesting.

i had LOTS of problems getting the network going. arghh... but...
i found that if i unplugged my linux box from the network and started up
netatalk... '/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start' and THEN i connected it to the
network after it had successfully assigned addresses to my ethernet
devices. everything worked. i'm just scared of turning my machine off!!
;-)

just a couple of things...

1) i think the '/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk' script needs to have a check for
the use of rmmod rather than depmod -r ?? does it make a difference ??

2) what happens when i have the linux box connected to the network and i
start 'atalk start' is that it sends LOTS of packets out (can see by the
flashing leds and ifconfig) and it tries to allocate an appletalk phase 2
addr to the interfaces without success. (tries lots of addresses!) even
though my linux box is supposed to seed the network. and finally gives up.

so i found i solution though not elegant.

later,

- Benjamin Lee

/----------------------------------------------+-----------------------\
| Internet Administrator                       |  Mob:    041 494 2544 |
| Power-Net Computer Consultants P/L           |  Fax:  +613 9425 9091 |
| 50 Madden Grove, Burnley 3121 VIC Australia  |  Ph:   +613 9425 9090 |
\----------------------------------------------+-----------------------/

If a man loses his reverence for any part of life, he will lose his
reverence for all of life.
                -- Albert Schweitzer

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, iNOUE Koich! wrote:

> > is this .rpm supposed to work with redhat 6.0? if so, can you point me in
> > the direction of a fix for this problem...
> 
> I packaged it on my redhat 5.2 box.  Would you rpm --rebuild
> netatalk-*.src.rpm and tell me the rebuilt package work or not?
> Asun2.1.3 is a program for linux 2.0.x and the next version is more
> suitable for linux 2.2.x; I have packaged asun2.1.4 only for testing.
> 
> > is it a problem with NET 4 ?? maybe?
> 
> I'll try to check the problem soon.
> --
> INOUE, Koichi
> http://www.ns.musashi-tech.ac.jp/~inoue/Signature/
>