Subject: [netatalk-admins] Case sensitive?

From: Andreas Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 10:42:47 +0200

hi all,

on a linux server (SuSE 6.2, kernel 2.0.10, samba 2.0.5a, netatalk
1.4b2+asun2.1.3), exporting the same share via samba and netatalk to a
whole workgroup we encountered the following oddness:

The mac (Mac OS 8.6) client creates a directory called 

	New Folder 

in a directory "New Folders" on the share. Then it creates a directory
in "New Folders", called

	New FoldeR

Odd? The mac is working case sensitive here ... . This might cause probs
when those directories (or files) are copied to the local disk.
But even worse, the Windows 98 clients see both folders whith their
correct names, but can not distinguish them. For example, if a text file
is created in "New Folder" by the Windows client it will even be found
in "New FoldeR" ! Deleting it in one of "New Folder" ore "New FoldeR"
will delete it in both folders.

Is this a known behaviour? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help

	-andreas 

-- 
[email-masked]
Projektleiter IT
Private Fachhochschule Göttingen
tel: 0551.54700-135   mobil: 0177.5957157