Subject: [netatalk-admins] Samba & Netatalk

From: Jon Doyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 08:51:37 -0800

Is there a way to not show all the hidden files and resource forks? Users
are complaining that on a Win-Tel box 9Samba) all the directories have the
.AppleDouble and other files like the icon. Is there a parameter I can use
to hide these in NetAtalk or in Samba?

Jon

---

From: Hauke Fath <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:07:50 +0100

>to hide these in NetAtalk or in Samba?

Sure can do. From my /etc/samba/smb.conf:

-----------------------------------------------------
         delete veto files = Yes
         veto files = /.AppleDouble/.AppleDesktop/Network Trash 
Folder/DesktopFolderDB/resource.frk/ICON/Icon/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/
-----------------------------------------------------

(line 2 is wrapped). The {ICON,Icon} entry does not work for me, btw; there 
is a control char in the filename.

         hauke

--
Hauke Fath                        Tangro Software Components GmbH
                                         D-69115 Heidelberg
[email-masked]                       Ruf +49-6221-13336-35, Fax -21

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 12:18:23 -0500

> Sure can do. From my /etc/samba/smb.conf:

Great!  Has anyone think about ftp service?

ayu

---

From: "Jonathan Newman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:19:33 -0800

> is a control char in the filename.

Icon? seems to work for us.

Jon Newman
[email-masked]

---

From: Hauke Fath <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:26:25 +0100

>Icon? seems to work for us.

Cool! I simply did not expect globbing to work there -- seemed too easy...

         hauke

---

From: Andrew Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:11:07 -0800 (PST)

> to hide these in NetAtalk or in Samba?

Unless you've changed it, the default in samba is to hide all dot files.
All it really does is mark the hidden bit, so windows users set to display
ALL files can still see them.  It you really want to hide them, use the
"veto files" parameter in smb.conf.  There are some quirks with this, so
read the docs carefully.

	Andy

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 01:18:10 -0500

> (line 2 is wrapped). The {ICON,Icon} entry does not work for me, 

The real name is

Icon^M

ayu