Subject: [netatalk-admins] Error Compiling

From: "Kimon Tsinteris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 23:33:43 -0500

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could help me figure out why 
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.2 is not compiling on my system. I am running SuSE
6.0 and unfortunately the rpm that came with the distribution has given me a
rather misbehaved netatalk server.

I have commented out Kerberos, afs, des, and PAM so all that remains I think
in my Makefile is tcp wrapper. This is the error I get:

auth.o: In function `clrtxt_login':
auth.o(.text+0x74a): undefined reference to `crypt'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [afpd] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/downloads/netatak-1.4b2+asun2.1.2/etc/afpd'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/usr/downloads/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.2/etc/afpd'
make[2]: *** [afpd] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/downloads/netatak-1.4b2+asun2.1.2/etc'
make[1]: *** [../../etc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/downloads/netatak-1.4b2+asun2.1.2/sys/linux'
make: ** [all] Error 2

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Kimon T.

---

From: Chip <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 15:05:19 -0500

At 11:33 PM -0500 2/20/99, Kimon Tsinteris said:

>netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.2 is not compiling on my system. I am running
>SuSE 6.0 and unfortunately the rpm that came with the distribution has
>given me a rather misbehaved netatalk server.
>
> I have commented out Kerberos, afs, des, and PAM so all that remains I
>think in my Makefile is tcp wrapper. This is the error I get:
>
> make[4]: Leaving directory
>`/usr/downloads/netatak-1.4b2+asun2.1.2/etc/afpd'

I am having the *exact* same problem with 2.1.2 on an RH5.2-intel
system.  (The only difference is the path to the netatak-1.4b2+asun2.1.2
directory :-)  Asun pre-asun2.1.2-5, right?  I am also turning everything
off except TCP wrapper.

Turning of TCP wrapper (even though I use them) enlarges the error
message somewhat:

gcc  -DNEED_QUOTACTL_WRAPPER    -O1 -fomit-frame-pointer -fsigned-char
-Wunused -Wuninitialized -I.
./../include       -DAPPLCNAME  -o afpd unix.o afs.o kuam.o send_to_kdc.o
lifetime.o ofork.o main.o
switch.o auth.o volume.o directory.o file.o enumerate.o desktop.o
filedir.o fork.o appl.o gettok.o
bprint.o status.o afp_options.o afp_asp.o afp_dsi.o messages.o config.o
nfsquota.o codepage.o -L..
/../libatalk       -latalk     -lrpcsvc
auth.o: In function `clrtxt_login':
auth.o(.text+0x651): undefined reference to `crypt'
../../libatalk/libatalk.a(dsi_tcp.o): In function `dsi_tcp_open':
dsi_tcp.o(.text+0x8a): undefined reference to `request_init'
dsi_tcp.o(.text+0x93): undefined reference to `sock_host'
dsi_tcp.o(.text+0x99): undefined reference to `hosts_access'
dsi_tcp.o(.text+0xa6): undefined reference to `eval_client'
make[4]: *** [afpd] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/root/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.2/etc/afpd'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/root/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.2/etc/afpd'
make[2]: *** [afpd] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.2/etc'
make[1]: *** [../../etc] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.2/sys/linux'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Anybody have any ideas?  Is this problem widespread, or are Kimon and
myself just lucky?

 -Chip

*~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~Cogito, Ergo Utor Macintosh~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~*
|  UCF, The University of  | "'Individual rights' is a redundancy;  |
|   Central Florida: The   | there is no other kind of rights, and  |
| Zima of Higher Education | no one else to posess them." -Ayn Rand |
*-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-*

---

From: Bernard Paris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 15:06:47 +0200

Compiling netatalk on linux intel RD5,2.
I did the following:  insert this line in source main.c of afpd directory:
include <asm/ioctl.h>

good luck...

//  UCL - Universite Catholique de Louvain // BELGIUM
//  Faculte de Psychologie et des Science de l'Education
//  IPSP / Service d'informatique
//  Bernard Paris
//  Responsable Informatique Facultaire
//  Place du Cardinal Mercier 10
// 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve // BELGIUM
//  Tel. 010/47 4527  --  Fax. 010/47 4834

---

From: Bernard Paris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 17:45:09 +0200

sorry I confused the problem with ioctl.

Needed "crypt.o" is included in file /usr/lib/libcrypt.a.  So just include
this at the right place in MakeFile.

Bernard Paris.

---

From: Sascha Knific <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 00:37:09 +0100

Hi, hi,

I think you should try to take a look at "sys/linux/Makefile" and add "-lcrypt"
to "AFPLIBS=...". So you should have a line like this:

"AFPLIBS= -lrpcsvc -lcrypt"

Now everything should compile fine.

SuSE 6.0 is build on glibc6 and has no PAM.

Sascha Knific