Subject: [netatalk-admins] nbprgstr to a different zone?

From: Mark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 15:48:08 +0200

I'm trying to setup a Linux server (2.0.35) with netatalk (1.4b2)
as a multi-protocol print server, allowing Macs to print to printers
on a Windows95/NT network via Samba and PCs to print to the AppleTalk
printers.  I've got 5 AppleTalk zones, each with AppleTalk printers,
some with SMB printers.

I'm trying to make a SMB printer available to Macs, and I want it to
appear in the proper zone. The printer is physically located in the
building known via the AppleTalk zone name "97 Building", however the
Linux server is in the "Computer Center" zone. I can register a new device
in the Linux server's current zone without difficulty, but when I try:

	nbprgstr TestPrinter:LaserWriter@"97 Building"
I get:
	nbp_rgstr: Success
	Can't register TestPrinter:LaserWriter@97 Building  

and nbplkup doesn't show an entry for TestPrinter in the "97 Building"
zone.

Any suggestions?

I know it's not supposed to be allowed, but has anyone tried putting networks 
into multiple zones? I'd love a "zone" named printers that spanned our 5 
existing zones, and a similar "zone" for campus-wide broadcast messages. I 
really don't want to collapse our network into a single zone.

-- 
Mark Bergman    		[email-masked]
Computer Coordinator		90-312-266-4961 x141
Bilkent University Prep School
Ankara, Turkey

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 10:24:04 -0500

> From:    Mark <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> The printer is physically located in the

To cause papd to register in the non-default zone, put the full name in
the papd.conf, including the zone.  nbprgstr doesn't work for another
reason, see below.

> really don't want to collapse our network into a single zone.

That's a fine idea, perfectly allowed.  In fact, the error you're
getting above is probably due to the fact that "97 Building" is not
local to your Linux server.  Examine the output of "getzones -l".

:wes

---

From: Albert Max Lai <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 21:49:50 -0500 (EST)

> the papd.conf, including the zone.  nbprgstr doesn't work for another

Does this mean that I can register a printer in a zone that a machine is
not local to? Or, does this mean I can register a printer in a non default
zone if a machine is sitting on two zones? Can someone elaborate what this
means? Thanks.
 
> > I know it's not supposed to be allowed, but has anyone tried putting
> > networks into multiple zones? I'd love a "zone" named printers that
> > spanned our 5 existing zones, and a similar "zone" for campus-wide
> > broadcast messages. I really don't want to collapse our network into
> > a single zone. 
> 

--
Albert Lai <[email-masked]>           1018D East Campus
Residential Computer Consultant           411 W. 116th St.
Columbia University                       New York, NY 10027
http://www.columbia.edu/~aml61            (212)853-4854