Subject: [netatalk-admins] AppleShareIP supported

From: Jean Richelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:01:09 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear all,

I would like to know if netatalk could be a AppleShareIP server.

Jean

_____________________________________________________________________________
Jean Richelle <[email-masked]>
Unité de Conformation des Macromolécules Biologiques   Tel: +32 (0)2 650 3587
Université libre de Bruxelles                          FAX: +32 (0)2 648 8954
av. FD Roosevelt 50 - CP160/16, B-1050 Bruxelles, Belgium
_____________________________________________________________________________

---

From: Martin Welk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:25:53 +0200 (CEST)

On 21-Oct-99 Jean Richelle wrote:

()  I would like to know if netatalk could be a AppleShareIP server.

Yes, it can.

Regards,

Martin
-- 
FreibergNet Systemhaus GbR                   Martin Welk * Sales, Support
Systemhaus für Daten- und Netzwerktechnik           phone +49 3731 781387
Unternehmensgruppe Liebscher & Partner                fax +49 3731 781377
D-09599 Freiberg * Am St. Niclas Schacht 13    http://www.freibergnet.de/

---

From: Jean Richelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:36:58 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi Martin,

Is there anything special to do for that ?
(Sorry if the question appears to be very naive, I'm new at compiling
netatalk !)

Jean

---

From: Martin Welk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:44:12 +0200 (CEST)

()  Is there anything special to do for that ?
()  (Sorry if the question appears to be very naive, I'm new at compiling
()  netatalk !)

You need netatalk 1.4b2 with the asun patches, I think (I'm not that
deep into netatalk that I know the version numbers very well) -
we use netatalk-1.4b2+asun-2.1.3 here.

As TCP/IP is some very native Unix protocol O:^), I didn't find anything
that is especially needed - you can run netatalk without Apple EtherTalk
(IP only) as well (it will never appear in any MacOS Chooser, but you can
use it via "server address").

Look at the example config files and read the man pages (no RTFM in my
intention, but they give good explanations to basic things), there's
described how you enable EtherTalk and/or AppleShare/IP.

At all, we found netatalk to be some of those nice gizmos doing their job
without much whining and/or problems except full shares (which is not a
real netatalk problem) and we use it for our primary file server (netatalk
and Samba in cooperation, about 17 GByte yet online, six Macs and three
Windows boxes currently using it) and for updating our web server (another
machine with AppleShare/IP only) :-)

Regards,

Martin

---

From: Hannu Krosing <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:27:48 +0000

> I would like to know if netatalk could be a AppleShareIP server.

Yes.

Get the asun (Adrian Sun) version from 

ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/

--------
Hannu