Subject: [netatalk-admins] how to send messages to Macs?

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 May 1999 17:26:57 +0300

SMB/Samba has a feature which allows sending Windows machines on the
network a message that will appear as a popup window on the machine
(NET /SEND or smbclient -M). This is handy if you need to alert
Windows users of a file server going down, for instance (send a
message to every host listed by smbstatus).

Is there any similar feature in AppleTalk networks? If not by default, 
then perhaps with extra software? I would like to be able to send a
message from the netatalk server to every Mac currently connected to
it (which are connected I can figure out from the active afpd
processes).

-- 
Osma Ahvenlampi

---

From: Russell Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 13:12:42 -0400 (EDT)

> message to every host listed by smbstatus).

When I was an undergrad at CMU (too many years ago!), we had a program
called "Broadcast" that did exactly what you are looking for. Last I
checked, it is still available, htough I'm not sure where to get it or
what the prerequisites are. Might try looking at CMU's ftp server,
something like ftp.cs.cmu.edu. 

Russ Hoffman
russ(a)whiterose.net

---

From: Andrew McNabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1999 17:42:14 -0500 (CDT)

If I remember correctly it has something to do with the University of
Illinois's ACM.  I would try checking there (the UI domain is uiuc.edu).

> something like ftp.cs.cmu.edu. 

----------------------------------------------
                Andrew McNabb
             Argus Systems Group
          [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------

---

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 05 May 1999 09:05:10 +0300

> Illinois's ACM.  I would try checking there (the UI domain is uiuc.edu).

Thanks for the pointers. I found a web page for the program at
<URL:http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/lug/broadcast/>, although it's pretty
old. I'm trying to find out if the utility is still usable with
current MacOS versions and where I might get my hands on it. I'll let
the list know if this turns out usable.

-- 
Osma Ahvenlampi