Subject: [netatalk-admins] ignore gnireply or stop logging atalkd messages?

From: patrick finerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 17:59:53 -0500 (EST)

hi,

i previously reported my problems with atalkd reporting gnireply
messages (whatever those are).

is there a switch to stop atalkd from spitting out a million error
messages or do i have to do this in my syslog.conf file? 

thanks,

patrick
-- 
       "There is only one aim in life and that is to live it."
 Karl Shapiro,(1959) from an essay on Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer
	      finger [email-masked] for PGP key
		 http://abragam.med.utoronto.ca/~zinc

---

From: Yuji Shinozaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 23:46:05 -0500 (EST)

> messages or do i have to do this in my syslog.conf file? 

You have several choices (and combinations of choices):  

You will want to read the syslog man pages, if you are not familiar with
syslogging.  Noting the different logging levels
(debug,info,notice,warning,err... etc)  and the different logging
facilities (e.g. kern,user,mail,daemon,auth,local0,local1... etc). 

1. increase the logging level of "daemon" in your syslog.conf to something
   greater than info (eg. notice). This is of course means that you will 
   lose logging of info level messages on ALL things that log to daemon.
   Probably a bad idea.

2. change the logging facility for atalkd from "daemon" to something else
   like, e.g.  "local0".  That would require editing etc/atalkd/main.c
   so that the line that reads
	
	openlog( prog, LOG_PID, LOG_DAEMON );

   will read

	openlog( prog, LOG_PID, LOG_LOCAL0 );

   After recompiling, reinstalling and restarting atalkd will log to 
   the local0 facility instead of the daemon facility.  In syslog.conf,
   you can adjust the logging level of local0 to something greater than
   info, e.g. notice, to squelch those log messages.  This will also
   eliminate other info level messages from atalkd as well however, which
   may be still be useful to you.  You might want to look at all the
   syslog calls in the atalkd source code to see if anything of interest
   to you is logged at the info level or below.

3. edit the level that that particular message logs at:
   You could edit etc/atalkd/zip.c so that line

	syslog( LOG_INFO, "zip ignoring gnireply" );

   reads
	
	syslog( LOG_DEBUG, "zip ignoring gnireply" );

   So that If your syslog.conf logs daemon at the info level, those pesky 
   zip ignore message will be squelched.

4. comment out that line completely, so no logging occurs and the voices
   are silenced forever (or at least until you get another release if
   netatalk... )

	/* syslog( LOG_INFO, "zip ignoring gnireply" ); */

You can mix and match these solutions too.  Like changing the facility to
a "local" one (#2) and squelching certain messages (#3 or #4). 

Personally, I don't like the fact that so many differing services log to
daemon.  So I like to use the local facilities for some of the chattier
daemons (like netatalk and samba). 

Hope this helps,
yuji
----
Yuji Shinozaki		        Systems Administrator
[email-masked]	        Dept of Physics and Astronomy
http://www.physics.unc.edu      Univ. of North Carolina - CH
(919)962-7214 (voice)           CB 3255 Philips Hall
(919)962-0480 (fax)	        Chapel Hill, NC  27599