Subject: [netatalk-admins] gnireply? netatalk suddenly not working

From: patrick finerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:24:13 -0500 (EST)

hi folks,

i've heard that our appletalk network here is being worked on but i
don't know what they could have done to make this happen. basically, i 
can no longer run atalkd. it not only fills up the partition
containing the log file but sucks up all available CPU cycles while it 
spits out messages.

note that this just started happening. previously i had been running
netatalk, the exact same configuration and binaries, without any
problems.

my log file gets filled with stuff that looks like this:

Jan 22 16:34:20 zifi atalkd[8322]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.0a)
Jan 22 16:34:22 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Jan 22 16:34:22 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip gnireply from 2.130 (lo 36)
Jan 22 16:34:22 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip ignoring gnireply
Jan 22 16:34:22 zifi atalkd[8322]: rtmp_packet interface mismatch
Jan 22 16:34:22 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip gnireply from 1.7 (lo 36)
Jan 22 16:34:22 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip ignoring gnireply
Jan 22 16:34:22 zifi atalkd[8322]: rtmp_packet interface mismatch
Jan 22 16:34:22 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip gnireply from 1.236 (eth0 12)
Jan 22 16:34:22 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip_packet configured eth0 from 1.236
Jan 22 16:34:22 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip gnireply from 1.149 (lo 36)
Jan 22 16:34:22 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip ignoring gnireply
[...]
Jan 22 16:34:24 zifi atalkd[8322]: rtmp_packet gateway 1.134 up
Jan 22 16:34:24 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip gnireply from 2.174 (lo 36)
Jan 22 16:34:24 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip ignoring gnireply
Jan 22 16:34:24 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip gnireply from 1.202 (eth0 b2)
Jan 22 16:34:24 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip ignoring gnireply
Jan 22 16:34:24 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip gnireply from 1.6 (lo 36)
Jan 22 16:34:24 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip ignoring gnireply
Jan 22 16:34:24 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip gnireply from 2.130 (eth0 b2)
Jan 22 16:34:24 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip ignoring gnireply
Jan 22 16:34:24 zifi atalkd[8322]: rtmp_packet gateway 2.221 up
Jan 22 16:34:24 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip gnireply from 1.137 (lo 36)
Jan 22 16:34:24 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip ignoring gnireply
Jan 22 16:34:24 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip gnireply from 1.149 (eth0 b2)
Jan 22 16:34:24 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip ignoring gnireply
Jan 22 16:34:24 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip gnireply from 3.225 (lo 36)
Jan 22 16:34:24 zifi atalkd[8322]: zip ignoring gnireply

[etc for about 80 MB!]

any ideas about what is causing this and what i can do to stop it
from causing me problems? the macs seem to be functioning ok and all i 
want to do is have my Linux box do the same!

thanks a lot,

pjf
-- 
       "There is only one aim in life and that is to live it."
 Karl Shapiro,(1959) from an essay on Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer
	      finger [email-masked] for PGP key
		 http://abragam.med.utoronto.ca/~zinc