Subject: [netatalk-admins] asun, afpd and afs

From: Will Uther <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 00:56:53 -0500

Hi,
  I'm trying to install netatalk+asun on a redhat linux 5.2 box with afs.
Given that the old style uam's apparently don't work with ASIP, I was
hoping that I'd be able to start two servers, one using DDP for
authenticated AFS access and one using ASIP to access the local drive and
unathenticated AFS.

  If I compile afpd without AFS or Kerberos support then everything works
fine over either DDP or TCP.  If I compile with AFS and Kerberos support
then things work OK over TCP, but fail with -notcp.

  They fail even if I don't try and use the AFS or KRB_IV uam.  i.e.
-noauthall -rand2num -notcp fails with AFS support compiled in, but works
otherwise.  I've included syslogs at the end of the message.  In each log I
first access the tcp server then the ddp server.

  It seems like the afpd is still trying to hand off to tcp in the -notcp
case when AFS is compiled in.  Any suggestions on why this might be, and
how I'd fix it?

  Any suggestions?

\x/ill        :-}

  Here is my afpd.conf:

parrotfish.coral.cs.cmu.edu -noauthall -rand2num -notcp -nosavepassword
-nosetpa
ssword -uservolfirst
"Parrotfish tcp" -noauthall -rand2num -tcp -nosavepassword -nosetpassword
-userv
olfirst

  Without kerberos I get this syslog for the two logins:

Feb 18 18:22:19 parrotfish afpd[338]:
parrotfish.coral.cs.cmu.edu:AFPServer@* started on 2001.141:128
(1.4b2+asun2.1.1)
Feb 18 18:22:25 parrotfish afpd[338]: Parrotfish tcp:AFPServer@* started on
2001.141:129 (1.4b2+asun2.1.1)
Feb 18 18:22:25 parrotfish afpd[338]: ASIP started on 128.2.181.63:548(4)
(1.4b2+asun2.1.1) 
Feb 18 18:32:36 parrotfish afpd[455]: ASIP session:548(4) from
128.2.194.244:3173(0)
Feb 18 18:32:36 parrotfish afpd[338]: server_child[1] 455 done
Feb 18 18:32:40 parrotfish afpd[456]: ASIP session:548(4) from
128.2.194.244:3174(0)
Feb 18 18:32:40 parrotfish afpd[456]: randnum/rand2num login: will
Feb 18 18:32:40 parrotfish afpd[456]: login will (uid xx, gid xx)
Feb 18 18:32:51 parrotfish afpd[456]: logout
Feb 18 18:32:51 parrotfish afpd[456]: 1.31KB read, 1.68KB written
Feb 18 18:32:51 parrotfish afpd[338]: server_child[1] 456 done
Feb 18 18:32:58 parrotfish afpd[457]: session from 2004.217:250 on
2001.141:130
Feb 18 18:32:58 parrotfish afpd[457]: randnum/rand2num login: will
Feb 18 18:32:58 parrotfish afpd[457]: login will (uid xx, gid xx)
Feb 18 18:33:19 parrotfish afpd[457]: done
Feb 18 18:33:19 parrotfish afpd[338]: server_child[0] 457 done

  With kerberos I get this syslog:

Feb 19 00:26:12 parrotfish afpd[338]:
parrotfish.coral.cs.cmu.edu:AFPServer@* started on 2000.166:128
(1.4b2+asun2.1.1)
Feb 19 00:26:18 parrotfish afpd[338]: Parrotfish tcp:AFPServer@* started on
2000.166:129 (1.4b2+asun2.1.1)
Feb 19 00:26:18 parrotfish afpd[338]: ASIP started on 128.2.181.63:548(4)
(1.4b2+asun2.1.1) 
Feb 19 00:43:19 parrotfish afpd[468]: ASIP session:548(4) from
128.2.194.244:3212(0)
Feb 19 00:43:19 parrotfish afpd[338]: server_child[1] 468 done
Feb 19 00:43:22 parrotfish afpd[469]: ASIP session:548(4) from
128.2.194.244:3213(0)
Feb 19 00:43:22 parrotfish afpd[469]: randnum/rand2num login: will
Feb 19 00:43:23 parrotfish afpd[469]: login will (uid xx, gid xx)
Feb 19 00:43:38 parrotfish afpd[469]: logout
Feb 19 00:43:38 parrotfish afpd[469]: 1.31KB read, 1.68KB written
Feb 19 00:43:38 parrotfish afpd[338]: server_child[1] 469 done
Feb 19 00:44:38 parrotfish afpd[472]: ASIP session:548(4) from
128.2.194.244:3214(0)
Feb 19 00:44:38 parrotfish afpd[338]: server_child[1] 472 done

On the second login attempt (ddp) the Mac errors saying it lost contact
with the afp server.