Subject: [netatalk-admins] Error with Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B PCI Adapter

From: Nitin Mule <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 09:17:08 -0300

Hi all,

I installed netatalk yesterday on a linux box (redhat 5.2) with the Intel
EtherExpress Pro/100B NIC and within a few minutes started getting 
eth0: trasmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000
eth0: trying to restart the transmitter.

I guess this problem with eepro drivers is known but unformtunately it's
not mentioned anywhere in the netatalk FAQ. I came to know about this
problem only after I screwed up my system and spend some time on Deja. Now
I've uninstalled netatalk and rebooted the system. The warning messages
have disappeared and I hope nothing is "currupted" in my system. I would
appreciate if anyone would recommend a NIC that works well and also if
there are any problems in running netatalk alongwith Samba on a linux server.

TIA,
Nitin.

---

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 May 1999 19:33:09 +0300

> eth0: trying to restart the transmitter.

It's a bug in the eepro100 driver. Put the line

options eepro100 multicast_filter_limit=3 

in your /etc/conf.modules. If you don't have the eepro100 driver
compiled as a module, I strongly suggest to do so. If you have some
overriding need to compile the driver into the kernel, figure out the
correct LILO append line or patch the driver..

> have disappeared and I hope nothing is "currupted" in my system. I would

This problem does not corrupt anything (directly), it "only" causes
the driver to barf massive amounts of trash onto the local network
segment and disconnect the machine for a few seconds every minute or
so.

> there are any problems in running netatalk alongwith Samba on a linux server.

With the above workaround, eepro100 is a reliable NIC for even a
Netatalk server. As far as Samba compatibility goes, I would hazard to
guess that most Netatalk users also have Samba serving the same
volumes. There are some caveats, such as the .AppleDouble directories
("veto files = .AppleDouble" works for Samba) and different name
mangling methods for filenames that contain "special"
characters. Neither is a huge problem.

-- 
Osma Ahvenlampi