Subject: [netatalk-admins] pre-asun2.1.4 snapshot available

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 14:11:40 -0800 (PST)

hi all,

i added enough bits to reinstate fcntl byte locks. this version also
has a solaris 7 64-bit patch for testing and some other minor
fixes. read the ChangeLog for more info. for those interested, the
byte lock implementation has a crude workaround to deal with the
inadequacies of fcntl locks. if you need a true solution, you'll have
to wait for asun2.2.x. what's there should handle the simple cases.

it's in ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/testing. please DO NOT make
an rpm of this. 

-a
[email-masked]

---

From: Satadru Pramanik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 15:50:05 -0500 (EST)

pre-asun2.1.4 manages to compile under linux 2.2.2, versus asun 2.1.3,
which doesn't.  It's REALLY nice to use an upgraded afpd from the LinuxPPC
Release 4 rpms, but for some reason, the atalkd from 2.1.4 doesn't work,
where the 2.0a18.2 atalkd works.

Here's what the new atalkd spits out in /var/log/messages
Mar  8 03:10:26 beer atalkd[428]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.4)
Mar  8 03:10:27 beer atalkd[428]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Mar  8 03:10:27 beer atalkd[428]: rtmp_packet interface mismatch
Mar  8 03:10:27 beer atalkd[428]: zip gnireply from 7039.76 (eth0 12)
Mar  8 03:10:28 beer atalkd[428]: zip_packet configured eth0 from 7039.76
Mar  8 03:10:28 beer atalkd[428]: setifaddr: eth0:0: No such device
Mar  8 03:10:28 beer atalkd[428]: difaddr(65280.0): No such device
Mar  8 03:10:28 beer atalkd[428]: difaddr(0.0): No such device
Mar  8 03:10:28 beer atalkd[428]: difaddr(0.0): No such device
Mar  8 03:10:28 beer atalkd: difaddr(0.0): No such device
Mar  8 03:10:28 beer last message repeated 2 times

any thoughts?
-satadru pramanik

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, a sun wrote:

hi all,

-a
[email-masked]

--=
satadru pramanik [email-masked]' www.umich.edu/~satadru
Online Editor, The Michigan Daily
"I'm old enough to be living in the future I was warned about."
  - Myron Krueger
=--

---

From: Alex Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 21:44:42 -0500

Hello,

Because I have a lot of troubles with Samba, and Samba doesn't get as fast
speed as netatalk can get.  So I tried to use PC MacLan for Windows which
will allow you to make connections through AppleTalk.  My problem is
although I can connect to the server after passing login and password, when
I double clicked on the folder, Windows told me that the folder has been
moved.  Does anyone have this problem?  How would I fix it?

Thanks,
Alex

---

From: Jim Zajkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 22:58:54 -0500 (EST)

I don't know about that, Samba is pretty fast on Linux, easily beating out
Windows NT on the same box...  Samba 2.0.3 is pretty easy to configure
too, especially with SWAT.

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Alex Yu wrote:

} Because I have a lot of troubles with Samba, and Samba doesn't get as fast
} speed as netatalk can get.  

Jim

---

From: Andrew McNabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 23:49:20 -0600 (CST)

Sounds like you have a problem with DID's that aren't persistent.  If I
remember correctly, the latest asun release should solve this problem.

> moved.  Does anyone have this problem?  How would I fix it?

----------------------------------------------
                Andrew McNabb
             Argus Systems Group
          [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------

---

From: Alex Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 01:00:04 -0500

>remember correctly, the latest asun release should solve this problem.

I am running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3 and I believe it is the lastest
version of asun.

Alex

---

From: Alex Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 01:12:48 -0500

Hello,

How would I config AppleVolumes.default so that only certain users can
mount certain dirs?

Alex