Subject: [netatalk-admins] The sage continues ...

From: "J. Guy Stalnaker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:06:06 -0600

I'm baaaaack!

My thanks to all who've contributed their wisdom to my plight.  Much
good has transpired as a result.

1. I have swapped NIC cards based on the chance that the 3Com 3c507
could not work with AppleTalk due to broadcasting/multicasting problems.
I now have an SMC Ultra compiled into yet another kernel (I think that
this is number six).  On boot, the new kernel finds the new NIC card.
Yee hah!

2. dhcpd finds the dhcp server and I get my expected IP/Gateway/Netmask

3. BUT (and you knew that there was a butt) - when rc.atalk runs, I get
a "bind" error, thus:

Starting appletalk daemons: bind: Cannot assign requested address
bind: Cannt assign requested address
 nbprgstr papd.

4. If I type nbplkup, I do NOT get a list of Appletalk zones (and
volumes).

5. If I type inconfig, I can see that dhcpd has gotten IP, etc., but no
EtherTalk address is listed.

6. If I now run /usr/atalkd/etc/rc.atalk, I get this:

Starting appletalk daemons: atalkd [wait of about 30 seconds] nbp_rgstr:
Connection time out Can't register buckland:Workstation@*
nbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
Can't register buckland:netatalk@*
 nbrgstr papd afpd.

As you can see, completely different errors from calling rc.atalk at
boot to running rc.atalk at the command line.  I have one line in
atalkd.conf:

eth0 -phase 2 -net 47032-47038 -zone "Buckland" (before I added this
line, my Ethertalk address was in the 6xxxx range).

7. If I check ifconfig, I now HAVE an Ethertalk line:

EtherTalk Phase 2 addr:47033/100.

8. Now if I type nbplkup, I DO get a list of Appletalk zones (and
volumes--the maximum 1000), and my Mac is in the list:

NAK_8100:AFPServer						47035.54:254
NAK_8100 Bv Bs8 NF$:SNMP Agent			47035.54:8
NAK_8100 Bv Bs8 NF$:SNMP Trap Handler 	47035.54:9
NAK_8100: Power Macintosh				47035.54:250
NAK_8100:Workstation					47035.54:4

9.  Yet an attempt to use nbprgstr fails with a "Connection time out"
error.

10. I cannot use aecho (assuming that I'm using the correct syntax -
'aecho NAK_8100' produces "sendto: Network is unreachable", 'aecho
NAK_8100:Workstation' produces "sendto: Network is unreachable", 'aecho
47035.54' produces "sendto: Network is unreachable").  Yet how did
npblkup find what it found if the "network is unreachable" and how did I
get my Ethertalk address?

I'm so confused ...

As always, my thanks to all who comment, no matter how minimal or
majesterial.

Guy S.
*-------------------------------------------------------------*
                        J. Guy Stalnaker
 DoIT-Emerging Media Tech.              [email-masked]
 5752 Tokay Blvd., Suite 200                  wk. 608.263.8035
 Madison WI 53719-1220                        fax 608.265.6681
*-------------------------------------------------------------*