Subject: [netatalk-admins] Problems printing with papd!

From: Janpeter Wolff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 13:16:03 +0200

Hiho,

I have a big problem trying to print using netatalk from my Linux
(LinuxPPC R5 on an G3 beige Apple desktop) to a printer that is
available via an Applenetwork.

atalkd runs. I have a correct printcap file and a .paprc and papd.conf
file. The directories (spool ...) are set up correctly.

When I now try to print to the printer nothing happens. in
/var/log/messages I get the following message:

Jul  7 15:42:11 milo psf[4449]: starting for ?

but then nothing happens. (Usually there should be somehting like
"sending to pap" or so.)

When I look at the lpd-errs file, my error-log that I defined in
printcap, it is still empty. When I look at the lock file it has a name
of a file with cf in the beginning, but this file is nowhere to be
found. (I used R4 before and there the files appeared in the spool
directory.) Then there is a .seq file that only contains three numbers:
00x with x being basically something like the number of times I tried to
print something. It seems to be just a counter.

When I look at the new rpm of netatalk there is something missing in
comparison with the old ones. There seems to have been a directory
called
/usr/lib/atalk/filters which is now empty. (BTW, I do have psf, of
course),

Now, my question: What is going wrong? I assume that psf does not
produce the file to be printed by pap. Why is that so?

Thanks a lot, I'm really hoping for a quick answer,

JP