Subject: [netatalk-admins] Some test results and some questions

From: Sascha Knific <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 01:18:20 +0100

Hi everybody,

i have a couple of questions about netatalk+asun but first of all the good
news:

I checked out the transfer rates between a brand new G3 Mac (with 10/100
Mbit Ethernet) and a
Linux server (Kernel 2.0.36, with a Apple(!!!) 10/100 Mbit Ethernet - this
card works in a PC - it has the DEC Tulip chip on it ;--)), it´s running
netatalk+asun 2.1.1). Wired with TP and connected through a 3com 10/100
Mbit switch.

So we transfered a 100 MB file to the server. It took 25 sec. (we had a
hung at 80 MB for a couple of secs - I don´t know why???). Without that
hung we would have 400 MB per min (!!!!!!!).

With the WinNT Server we had not nearly the 1/4 of the transfer rate (must
be the AppleTalk over IP factor - but it´s still great). The best is that
the linux server is a P166 with 256 MB RAM and the WinNT Server is a 4 x
P350 with 1 GB RAM and a 3com 10/100 MB Ethernet Card !!!).

Doing the same test with to Clients took us 2 secs more than with one
Client (!!!). The two client on the WinNT server seemed to share the
bandwidth - so it took them nearly twice the time for the files.
(No switch and no 100 Mbit effect!).

Now, here are my questions:
-----------------------------------------

- Do we have real (file) locking with netatalk+asun??? Is the locking
cooperating with Samba?
- Is it possible to have two points in the same tree for netatalk volumes
(like "/home/vols" and
  "home/vols/files") or is there any (easy!) solution for that (I tried it
but i always got in touble on the 
  other volume)?
- How do I copy/move files between netatalk volumes (from the server side)
so that the resource
  folk desktop file stay alive (without the use of a Mac and the megatron
tool)???

These answers are important for me to set up a netatalk server in a
production enviroment!

Thanks in advance,
Sascha Knific