Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] what's this mean?

From: Benjamin Lee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:31:21 +1000 (EST)

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Jeff Davis wrote:

> Benjamin,
> 
> Modify your atalkd.conf so that it just has the interface (eth0) and 
> the zone, then restart atalk in etc/rc.d/init.d.  It should figure 
> the rest out by itself.
> 
> -Jeff

hi,

thanks for the input.

unfortunately i've already tried this. it still comes up with the same
bind error.

i think just eth0 and zone won't work because i have no router seeding the
network. is this correct?

appletalk is properly installed as a kernel module. just to make that
clear to everyone.

it's actually pretty weird because this is the solution i've found.

unplug my linux box from the network...
(for some reason i think there's something on my network that's
preventing atalk to successfully assign addresses. funny as i only have
one mac on the net! ;-} )
start up atalkd...
wait till ifconfig shows nice ethertalk addresses...
plug the network back in... 
and low and behold, we're good to go.

granted i have to do this everytime i restart... but since i don't restart
the computer very often it's no big deal.

anyone know what's going on though?

later all,

ben

---

From: Ron Chmara <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:33:24 -0700

Benjamin Lee wrote:
> > the zone, then restart atalk in etc/rc.d/init.d.
> hi,
> thanks for the input.

Er... no router, no Zone, yup. You need to be getting a number in the upper
ranges if you have no Appletalk router....

> one mac on the net! ;-} )

No routers? No boxes running Xinet? Helios? CAP? NT? Lots of things can
be appletalk routers. Cisco routers, little gator boxes, etc. etc.

> and low and behold, we're good to go.

It sounds like something is responding to Zone packets, but
not seeding properly, or you have natatalk set up to look
for a zone that ain't there. On you mac, what zones does
it have, and what's the alatlk numbers? 

> anyone know what's going on though?

Just guessing...
-Bop

--
from the desktop of bop.hollis.com, a RedHat Linux 6.0/Win95/Win98
test machine, currently in Linux. Your bopping may vary.