Subject: [netatalk-admins] AppleTalk-IP with Linux ipddp

From: "Ephraim Franzzup" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 19:02:48 PDT

Hi all,

I am trying to set up AppleTalk-IP Decapsulation on a 
SuSE 6.0 Linux machine, which has kernel 2.2.5-ac6 with ipddp,
netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 and MacGate 1.14 installed.

My client is a Duo 270c running System 7.6.1, connected through an
AsanteTalk LocalTalk/Ethernet bridge. (I do suspect the AsanteTalk
bridge of behaving funny, btw.)

Try as I might, I can´t get the Duo to acknowledge that there is a
MacIP server on the net. OTOH, it has no problems with AppleTalk
services, e.g. connecting to afpd on the Linux machine.

I suspect I´m being stupid, and I certainly don´t understand the
details of the AppleTalk-IP Decapsulation as provided by MacGate and
ipddp, even after reading all the included documentation - which isn´t
much. What´s more, I haven´t been able to find any more detailed docs
anywhere on the Net.

Does anyone have a suggestion for further reading on the subject, or a
pointer in the right direction?

Thanks,
Chris Ferebee
cf at ferebee dot net

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: Jim Zajkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:50:14 -0400 (EDT)

While this isn't an answer, there are other ways to do what you probably
want.  One of those is network address translation (NAT), where your Linux
box will forward packets between two subnets, rewriting the source IP's,
and handle the data coming back.  Think firewall.  Then you give your
client(s) a fake IP and Linux will do all the magic.

There's a firewall / routing HOWTO, check that out.

Jim

---

From: Wenchi Liao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:50:40 -0500

>netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 and MacGate 1.14 installed.

What are you using for the physical stuff? the COPS card?

>bridge of behaving funny, btw.)

It sounds like you have:

linux w/ macgate, etc <-> LT/ET bridge <-> Duo

I don't think the LT/ET bridge can act by itself in that way. That is,
the ipddp stuff seems to be a routing thing that routes  between one
interface and another.

So, you may want:

Linux w/ macgate <-> tcp world
                \
                 -> (COPS LT) <-> (LT/ET bridge) <-> Duo and AT world

You could look at linux kernel documentation or ask macgate's author.

The afpd working may just be due to the netatalk spitting out appletalk
stuff. IE, does afpd with -noddp work in the current setup?

WL