Subject: [netatalk-admins] Fwd: /var/log/messages output

From: "J. Guy Stalnaker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:49:07 -0600

Hello again,

My sources of help are drying up!!  You folks given up on me?  Here's
the latest. I have a colleague who has a working installation of
netatalk on a linux box running RedHat 5.1.  He sent me copies of his
config files, and only the atalkd.conf file was different that the one I
was using (well, AppleVolumes.default included an alias for an ftp
download directory that I don't have).  I cp'd his file to /etc, but it
made no difference in atalkd.  What I did find out talking with him was
the existance of /var/log/messages and the fact that services write
information to this file.  So, I ran atalkd and then switched to a
virtual terminal to watch what was written to the file using tail -f.
Turns out that atalkd is writing *hundreds* of lines like these:

---begin forwarded text
Jan 27 12:56:xx buckland atalkd[93]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Jan 27 12:56:16 buckland last message repeated 22 times
Jan 27 12:56:16 buckland last message repeated 4 times
Jan 27 12:56:17 buckland atalkd[93]: config for no router
Jan 27 12:56:20 buckland atalkd[93]: rtmp_packet router has become
available
Jan 27 12:56:20 buckland atalkd[93]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Jan 27 12:56:56 buckland last message repeated 22 times
Jan 27 12:56:56 buckland last message repeated 4 times
Jan 27 12:56:57 buckland atalkd[93]: config for no router
Jan 27 12:57:00 buckland atalkd[93]: rtmp_packet router has become
available
Jan 27 12:57:00 buckland atalkd[93]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
---end forwarded text

... in a continuous cycle (the lines continue to be written until I kill
atalkd).

Seems that atalkd finds an AppleTalk network, but it can't get
appropriate configuration information (?!?).  This may explain why it
shows up in my Mac's chooser, but is then unavailable (i.e., the Chooser
says that there's no response when I attempt to login to the linux box).

Anyone have any ideas what might be going on?  Remember, I have a
colleague who CAN successfully use netatalk on this same network (though
we are in different buildings located 5 miles apart).

Thanks for comments,

Guy S.
*-------------------------------------------------------------*
                        J. Guy Stalnaker
 DoIT-Emerging Media Tech.              [email-masked]
 5752 Tokay Blvd., Suite 200                  wk. 608.263.8035
 Madison WI 53719-1220                        fax 608.265.6681
*-------------------------------------------------------------*