Subject: RE: [netatalk-admins] netatalk rpm installation

From: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 13:36:58 -0700

>If that can't find the appletalk module, you'll need to go to your Linux
>source (usually installed under /usr/src/linux), run "make menuconfig" and

Don't go messing with your kernel.  All the Red Hat distros since at least
4.2 had AppleTalk already as a module.

Did you actually start the daemon?  Try running '/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk
start' (as root) and see if that works

Marc

---

From: Kerstetter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 06:51:59 -0500

Reply to Marc Matteo:

>Don't go messing with your kernel.

I'm a journalist, fairly to new unix-like OS's and not really very excited
about compiling the kernel. Someday, maybe. But now I just want to get
netatalk running.

>All the Red Hat distros since at least

If AppleTalk is in the kernel, what does netatalk do?

>start' (as root) and see if that works

Yes. It is running. It starts during system startup. There is a long pause
while AppleTalk services (atalkd papd afpd) are starting up. Running again
it after startup returns an error. But, stopping it (atalk stop) and
restarting it (atalk start) work fine. But still no shares are available in
the Chooser.

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:44:35 +0200

At 6:51 Uhr -0500 29.06.1999, Kerstetter wrote:

>while AppleTalk services (atalkd papd afpd) are starting up.

This is normal.

>Running again
>it after startup returns an error.

Correct.

>But, stopping it (atalk stop) and

Locate a file AppleVolumes.system and look if there are any entries.

:wq! PoC