Subject: [netatalk-admins] Problems compiling 1.4b2

From: "John M. Lockard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:43:56 -0400 (EDT)

I'm compiling on Solaris 2.5.1 (SPARC), including AFS and KERBEROS, and
here's the tail end of my compile.  Any ideas????

gcc -D__svr4__ -DSOLARIS -DAFS -DKRB -O -I../../include -I/usr/local/afs/include -I/afs/umich.edu/um/sun_55/krb4//include -DAPPLCNAME -DCRLF   -o afpd unix.o afs.o kuam.o send_to_kdc.o lifetime.o ofork.o main.o switch.o auth.o volume.o directory.o file.o 

enumerate.o desktop.o filedir.o fork.o appl.o gettok.o bprint.o -L../../libatalk -L/usr/local/afs/lib -L/usr/local/afs/lib/afs -L/afs/umich.edu/um/sun_55/krb4//lib -latalk -lkauth -lprot -lubik -lauth -lsys -lrxkad -lrx -laudit  -llwp -lcmd -lcom_err /usr

/local/afs/lib/afs/util.a -ldes -lkrb -ldes -lsocket -lnsl
Undefined                       first referenced
 symbol                             in file
dn_expand                           /afs/umich.edu/um/sun_55/krb4//lib/libkrb.a(resolve.o)
_res                                /afs/umich.edu/um/sun_55/krb4//lib/libkrb.a(resolve.o)
sigvec                              /usr/local/afs/lib/liblwp.a(iomgr.o)
sigsetmask                          /usr/local/afs/lib/liblwp.a(preempt.o)
res_search                          /afs/umich.edu/um/sun_55/krb4//lib/libkrb.a(resolve.o)
des_set_key                         /afs/umich.edu/um/sun_55/krb4//lib/libkrb.a(encrypt_ktext.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to afpd
make[4]: *** [afpd] Error 1

-jlockard --
   "I plead alignment to the flake of the untitled snakes of a merry cow
    and to the republicans for which they scam, one nacho underpants,
    invisible with licorice and jugs of wine for owls" - Bongo
--- John M. Lockard ------------------------------------------------
 [email-masked] | The University of Michigan - Mathematics Dept
      Sys Admin III | 525 E. University Ave | 2072 East Hall - B746
       734-763-6521 |            Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1109
   Fax 734-763-0937 |    - http://jlockard.math.lsa.umich.edu/ -
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 21:09:00 -0400

> From:    "John M. Lockard" <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> here's the tail end of my compile.  Any ideas????

First, get ~ftp/netatalk/netatalk-YYMMDD.tar.gz, where YYMMDD is a
date.  Second, the compile seems to be missing resolvers for some
reason.  After you've gotten a more recent version, if you still have
these errors, try -lresolv.  Also, I think maybe the order of your
libraries may be off.

:wes

---

From: "Brandon S. Allbery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 21:19:28 -0400

In message <[email-masked]>, wesley.craig@um
ich.edu writes:
+-----
| > From:    "John M. Lockard" <[email-masked]>
| > To:      [email-masked]
| 
| > I'm compiling on Solaris 2.5.1 (SPARC), including AFS and KERBEROS, and
| > here's the tail end of my compile.  Any ideas????
| 
| First, get ~ftp/netatalk/netatalk-YYMMDD.tar.gz, where YYMMDD is a
| date.  Second, the compile seems to be missing resolvers for some
| reason.  After you've gotten a more recent version, if you still have
| these errors, try -lresolv.  Also, I think maybe the order of your
| libraries may be off.
+--->8

I was having mailer problems the first time this rolled around...  he's also
missing -lucb (AFS is linked against it, for reasons I don't understand;
-lucb seems to cause more problems than it solves in my experience).

AFS link order is usually a problem in stuff I get from elsewhere; juggle
-lkauth, -lauth, and -lsys to get it to work.  Also consider linking -lsys by 
full pathname, since Solaris has an -lsys.

-- 
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 [email-masked]
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   [email-masked]
electrical and computer engineering					 KF8NH
carnegie mellon university	      ["God, root, what is difference?" -Pitr]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 21:35:15 -0400

> From:    "Brandon S. Allbery" <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> -lucb seems to cause more problems than it solves in my experience).

Actually, -latalk contains everything AFS needs.  If you link -lucb,
you will probably run into the problems with opendir() et al.

:wes

---

From: "John M. Lockard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:20:51 -0400 (EDT)

Okay.  I've grabbed the YYMMDD version off of ftp.  It compiles fine,
but when connecting from a mac (for the purpose of mounting Unix dirs),
It will only try to authenticate with Cleartext password, and it doesn't
succeed.  Supposedly it compiled in the AFS and Kerberos stuff, but won't
use it.  (Yes, I read README.AFS)

Any ideas.

-jlockard --

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:42:38 -0400

> use it.  (Yes, I read README.AFS)

If you want to use non-Cleartext for AFS, you need AuthMan and
AuthManUAM installed on the Mac.  The current rev of AuthManUAM is not
compatible with the latest AppleShare clients.  We're currently running
it down rev-ed.  We plan to have an updated version of AuthManUAM
before WWDC.

:wes

---

From: Yuji Shinozaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 14:04:07 -0400 (EDT)

> it down rev-ed.  We plan to have an updated version of AuthManUAM

Hi Wes,

Will this updated version support IP (specifically Adrian's ASIP mods?)?

yuji
----
Yuji Shinozaki		        Systems Administrator
[email-masked]	        Dept of Physics and Astronomy
http://www.physics.unc.edu      Univ. of North Carolina - CH
(919)962-7214 (voice)           CB 3255 Philips Hall
(919)962-0480 (fax)	        Chapel Hill, NC  27599

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:33:18 -0400

Hello,

I wonder if someone can help me on this /or send me the code if you already
done such thing.  I want so that when users change their password through
AppleTalk, netatalk will also update the UNIX passwd.  I am using 2-way
encrypted.

Alex

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:35:49 -0400

> From:    Yuji Shinozaki <[email-masked]>

> Will this updated version support IP (specifically Adrian's ASIP mods?)?

That's the idea.

:wes