Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] "lock-and-load" pre-asun2.1.4-2 snapshot

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:38:58 -0800 (PST)

erk,

the 64-bit stuff i had in pre-asun2.1.4-2 did unhappy things to
linux. if you're testing database stuff, get pre-asun2.1.4-3 instead.

-a

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 07:32:02 -0800

Finally got netatalk to work, but in Chooser the server doesn't show up.
I have to click the "Server IP Address..." button and type it in.  Little
help.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray Clouse                                  I'M HAPPY BECAUSE I EAT LARD.
Cypress, CA USA                        
Ray.Clouse AT boeing.com
rclouse AT atdot.org

---

From: Jim Zajkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:02:31 -0500 (EST)

You probably are missing the AppleTalk protocols, then (since IP works
fine). 

If you're under Linux, then make sure you have either compiled AppleTalk
into the kernel or have insmod'd appletalk.  Try a `dmesg | grep -i
apple`. 

I don't know what you do for other Unixen since I don't use anything else.

Jim

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 [email-masked] wrote:

} Finally got netatalk to work, but in Chooser the server doesn't show up.
} I have to click the "Server IP Address..." button and type it in.  Little
} help.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 13:06:09 -0800

> into the kernel or have insmod'd appletalk.  Try a `dmesg | grep -i

aenima:~/temp 26>dmesg | grep -i apple
Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035

> I don't know what you do for other Unixen since I don't use anything else.

aenima:~/temp 27>uname -a
Linux aenima.lan 2.0.36 #1 Tue Oct 13 22:17:11 EDT 1998 i586 unknown
 
Everything is running, too:

aenima:~/temp 32>ps -ax
 4224  ?  S    0:00 /usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd 
 4236  ?  S    0:00 /usr/local/atalk/etc/papd 
 4240  ?  S    0:00 /usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd 
 4243  ?  S    0:05 /usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd 

Running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3, BTW.  Any other ideas?

---

From: Morgan Sackett - WebMD <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:53:51 -0800

I just want to say that I'm seeing the same behavior on a Solaris 2.6
machine running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a17.  I don't think that it is
strictly related to linux.

Here is my atalkd.conf:

hme0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.68

I am not declaring a zone because we are not using one.  Must there be a
zone declared for appletalk to work right?  What is the default zone
name if none is declared?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
		S A P I E N T  H E A L T H  N E T W O R K
Morgan Sackett                                 	Phone: (503) 299-9944
Systems Administration                         	Fax:   (503) 299-9917
[email-masked]				HTTP://WWW.SHN.NET

---

From: Sascha Knific <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:02:32 +0100

Hi hi,

let´s try it the other way. What´s your afpd.conf looking like?

Try it with this:
"YourMacServer" -transall -address <IP-Address of the NIC>

Most people don´t need zones!!! You only need zones if you
do AppleTalk routing between networks (2 NIC and stuff like
that). If you do bridging you can also skip the suff with the
zones.

Let me know if it helps.

Regards

Sascha

---

From: Ray Clouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:25:34 -0800

> "YourMacServer" -transall -address <IP-Address of the NIC>

Well, when I do that:

"My Linux Box" -transall -address 192.168.1.1

"My Linux Box" doesn't show up in the "Select a file server:" box, but when I
click the "Server IP Address..." button and enter the address (192.168.1.1), sure
enough it comes up and says 'connected to the file server "My Linux Box"'!  Is
there something I'm missing on the Mac side, perhaps?

Hmmm.  On the HOWTO, it says this:

(for AppleshareIP you have to click the AppleshareIP button and type your machine
IP or name in.)

What's AppleshareIP?  How can I get rid of it so I don't have to type the IP every
time? :)

---

From: "S. Lastinger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 23:05:53 +0000

Hi all,

I hate to ask such a simple question (read as please don't flame me on
this one ;-) but, are your mac client and netatalk server on the same
subnet?  And, if not, has the gateway's /etc/services and
/etc/inetd.conf been modified with the necessary changes?

-Stephen

-- 
Stephen Lastinger - [email-masked]
Quality Assurance Manager
REALM Information Technologies - http://www.realminfo.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 15:24:44 -0800

> /etc/inetd.conf been modified with the necessary changes?

Hmmm.  My mac is 192.168.1.100, the gateway is 192.168.1.1.  
/etc/services is definately set up correctly.  As for  /etc/inetd.conf,
there is nothing in the docs or the FAQ that says anything about modifying
that.

I did find here: http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/, that afpd.conf
is supposed to have a "-" in it for "this machine".  That could be my
problem.  The comments in the file say:
#       The simplest case is to not have an afpd.conf.
so I believed them. :)  Will find out in 1 hour whether this is, indeed,
the fix.

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 22:43:49 -0800 (PST)

"My Linux Box" doesn't show up in the "Select a file server:" box,
   but when I click the "Server IP Address..." button and enter the
   address (192.168.1.1), sure enough it comes up and says 'connected
   to the file server "My Linux Box"'!  Is there something I'm missing
   on the Mac side, perhaps?

what ethernet card do you have? when you do an nbplkup what happens? i
suspect that the driver for your ethernet card doesn't handle
multicast properly.

   (for AppleshareIP you have to click the AppleshareIP button and
   type your machine IP or name in.)

ignore that. it's there only if you want to run AFP/tcp only.

-a

---

From: Ray Clouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 06:49:53 -0800

> just a quick one. Have you set the Appletalk Control-Panel
> to use Ethernet instead of one of the serial ports ?
> If thats not set it looks like you describe ....
>

It's using Ethernet, of course.

> suspect that the driver for your ethernet card doesn't handle

I have a D-link DE-220PCT.  It's an NE2000 compatible board.

aenima:~ 3>/usr/local/atalk/bin/nbplkup
                   My Linux Box:AFPServer
65280.194:130
                         aenima:LaserWriter
65280.194:128
                         aenima:netatalk
65280.194:4
                         aenima:Workstation
65280.194:4

On the Mac side, it's your standard cheapo PowerMac 4400/200.  It has
whatever Ethernet card it came with.

---

From: "Alex Yu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 18:53:32 -0500

hello,

i have a problem with file permission right now, and i dunno that if anyone
has any comments about it.  the problem is after you move a folder to
another directory.  let's say this.  suppose you have 2 links.  the first
link has permission 770 and the other one is 755.  you create a folder in
first link, and its permission is 770.  now, you find out that you create
the folder in wrong link, so you move the folder from first link to second
link.  but the folder still has 770 permission and no one else on the server
can be able to see because the file permission is 755.  how can i fix such
problem?  thanks for all the help.

alex