Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and Solaris 7...

From: Ari Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 16:44:27 -0500 (CDT)

I can't for the life of me get netatalk 1.4b2+asun 2.1.3 to compile on my
Solaris 7 server. Compiler errors state that they can't find the following
files:

tcpd.h and des.h

When I try to include them in my path, the compiler moves past tcpd.h but
gives a whole slew of errors for auth.c and the definitions called from
des.h. So, when I make clean and then comment out TCPWrapper support, Des
support and PAM support, I get the real compile. Then, make kinstall
installs the ddp driver but returns the following message:

/usr/ucb/install -c ddp /usr/kernel/drv/ddp
ln /usr/kernel/drv/ddp /usr/kernel/strmod/ddp
/usr/ucb/install -c ddp.conf /usr/kernel/drv/ddp.conf
add_drv -m '* 0666 root sys' ddp
drvconfig: Driver (ddp) failed to attach
Warning: Driver (ddp) successfully added to system but failed to attach
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `kinstall'
Current working directory
/export/home/aberman/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3/sys/solaris
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `kinstall'

So, I ignore this message thinking it is just some weird Solaris error.
Then I configure atalkd.conf with the following line:

hme0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.130

Then I create /etc/rc2.d/S79atalk from scratch based with the correct
directories. 

then I try to start the appletalk daemons and get the following message:

root@intron:[4:41pm]:/etc/rc2.d # ./S79atalk start
starting appletalk daemons: can't establish STREAMS plumbing, exiting.
 atalkd nbprgstr papd afpd.

At this point, the processes are active, but they are not operational. Ok,
so I need help big time. I'm sure I'm just missing something stupid. So,
anyone who has gotten this to work on Solaris 7, or has an idea of what I
doing wrong, please help!! I'll mail you a beer, I promise. 

Please respond to [email-masked]

Thanks.

--Ari

---

From: "David S." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 11:26:45 -0700 (PDT)

On 19 Apr, Ari Berman wrote:
> Solaris 7 server.

> Warning: Driver (ddp) successfully added to system but failed to attach

If you're using the 64-bit Solaris 7 kernel, then you need to build the
the '1.4b2+asun.2.1.4' (the latest UMich version  might also
work, but I haven't tried it) version of 'netatalk' kernel driver with a
 compiler that will generate 64-bit instructions on the Ultra Sparc
architecture. The only one I know of that can do that right now is
Sun's 5.0 C compiler.  If you don't have that compiler, you'll have to
boot into the 32-bit kernel to get 'netatalk' to work

David S.
[email-masked]

---

From: Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 16:37:05 -0600 (MDT)

> boot into the 32-bit kernel to get 'netatalk' to work

This doesn't work yet. I tried the latest and greatest
pre-asun2.1.4-9.tar.gz 

There is a missing include in quota.c
#include <sys/fcntl.h>
 
A slight glitch in the kinstall target (a missing space in the test) and I
have some unresolved problems with megatron.

I got the same error as above. I was compiling with Sun cc from Workshop
5.0 with all the -xarch=v9 flags in the correct places. Solaris 7 64bit
kernel. I'll take a whack at the 32bit version in the morning.

Oh, and a recent snapshot of egcs can build 64bit code, however I had
problems with the libatalk.a library that was built. Haven't figured out
a solution to that yet.

Tim

---

From: Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 19:39:13 -0600 (MDT)

> kernel. I'll take a whack at the 32bit version in the morning.

I misspoke.. The driver does actually load into the kernel. I had missed
one of the commented lines in the make file

I haven't done much testing (just connecting from home), but the ASIP
seems to work. How could I have thought that Adrian would release
something that didn't work :-)   modulo a few typos in the makefile

Tim