Subject: [netatalk-admins] Question about AppleVolumes.* files

From: "Michael H. Martel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 15:56:51 -0400

Hello!

Running RedHat 5.2 intel, with asun2.1.4.  when I run apfd (no appletalk,
just asip) I see one volume, my home dir (martelm). If I add a volume to
/usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.* I see it just fine and it works just
fine.

Is there a way to :

	a) make afpd use the users full name for the volume ?
	b) make afpd not display user's home volumes by default, and only the
contents of the AppleVolumes files ?

Thanks!

Michael

-- 

  -------------------------------o--------------------------------
  Michael H. Martel              | Vermont State Colleges        
  mailto:[email-masked]   | Technical Support Specialist
  http://probe.vsc.edu/~michael  | PH:802-241-2535 FX:802-241-3363

---

From: "Michael H. Martel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 16:31:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, a sun wrote:

> as asun2.1.4 hasn't been released yet, please don't call it that.

Aye Carrumba!  pre-asun2.1.4-5,  Humble apologies and a hundred lashes.

> just change AppleVolumes.default to what you want and have an
> afpd.conf with -nouservol as an option. the -nouservol prevents a user
> from over-riding your AppleVolumes.default. look in config/* for all
> the options that are available.

Hmm.  I can also put that on the command like right ?

	# afpd -nouservol 

When I do that I still see my home directory as a volume, even though it's
not in AppleVolumes.* .

Sorry about the naming mix up!

Michael

  -------------------------------o--------------------------------
  Michael H. Martel              | Vermont State Colleges        
  [email-masked]          | Technical Support Specialist
  http://probe.vsc.edu/~michael  | PH:802-241-2535 FX:802-241-3363

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:26:09 -0700 (PDT)

not right now. it's pretty straightforward to add in variable
substitution, and it's something i've been meaning to add. so, what do
people want in terms of variables? i can think of $u, $g, $n for user,
group, and full name. $u and $g would probably also work for the path
name as well so that you can have /path/to/$u. any other suggestions?

-a

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:55:42 -0700 (PDT)

# afpd -nouservol 

there's no command-line option for nouservol.

-a

---

From: "Michael H. Martel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 08:21:00 -0400

> there's no command-line option for nouservol.

Ok, I see it. In the AppleVolumes.default there is a line with a ~ on it.
I wasn't paying attention to what I was reading.  Shows you what happens
when you read something quickly.  Great job!

Michael

--