Subject: [netatalk-admins] Date problems

From: "Espen H. Koht" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:30:18 +0000 (BST)

I'm new to this list so please bear with me. I have the latest version of
netatalk running on an i386 box, and I'm getting very confused about dates
on files on the Mac side.

As an example I have a file which in unix has the following time-stamps:
[root@admin0 standing orders]# ls -l
-rw-rwS---   1 ph226    master       3072 Oct  1  1996 note

[root@admin0 standing orders]# ls -lc
-rw-rwS---   1 ph226    master       3072 Jan 14 21:54 note

[root@admin0 standing orders]# ls -lu
-rw-rwS---   1 ph226    master       3072 Jan 22 20:17 note

This represent as far as I understandL creation, change and access times.

However, on the Mac side there are two problems:

1) The creation time is: Feb 14, 1965, 11:53!!!
I have no idea where this time comes from, and even less why it is such an
absurd date.

2) The modification time is: Jan 22 1999 20:17
Which is all good an well, expect that it is the access rather than the
modification time (confirmed by the fact that it will change when the
file is opened).

Both of these problems are causing me considerable headache when it comes
to backing these files up as this is done by a MacOS based backup server
which mounts these directories with netatalk.

Any ideas what is going wrong here? The time on all machines is synced
with a NTP server, and I am at a loss as to where to start.

Espen