Subject: [netatalk-admins] installation question: Solaris 7

From: John Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:37:42 +0000

I'd be very grateful for some help.

I'm trying to install netatalk on Solaris 7. The make kinstall stops with an error trying to do the add_drv bit. It complains that the driver is installed, but not attached. Which leads to some questions:

* is there any known reason that netatalk won't work on Solaris 7?

* does anybody know what's going wrong here?

* I notice that there is no /dev/dpp -- although netconfig refers to one, and all the other /devs that netconfig refers to do exist. If this has something to do with it, could somebody talk me through making a new /dev for ddp?

Many thanks in advance for any help -- or even just reading this.

bests,

John Browning   |||   71 Richmond Ave   |||   London N1 0LX
t + 44 171 700 1230      |||      f + 44 171 700 5255

---

From: Allen Wittenauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:59:06 -0800 (PST)

> I'm trying to install netatalk on Solaris 7. The make kinstall stops with an error trying to do the add_drv bit. It complains that the driver is installed, but not attached. Which leads to some que…

Which netatalk package are you using?  I'm using -asun2.13 under 7 (32-bit) as
compiled by DevPro v5.0-alpha.  It works here, except that occasionally the
server goes ...well.. wacko.  On connected clients w/list views it starts to
re-order the file listing and mixes the file sizes and types up and eventually
closes the window (yet, the connection is maintained...)

[I'm hoping that is just a compiler issue.  I haven't had a chance yet to
compile itunder DevPro 5.0 FCS yet.]

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:08:01 -0800

Previously...
>I'm trying to install netatalk on Solaris 7. The make kinstall stops with an e
   >rror trying to do the add_drv bit. It complains that the driver is installe
   >d, but not attached. Which leads to some questions:
>

I think there are some problems with Solaris 7. What version of
netatalk are you installing? Only the *latest* asun seem to have
merged wes's fixes from the latest umich snapshot.

>* I notice that there is no /dev/dpp -- although netconfig refers to one, and 
   >all the other /devs that netconfig refers to do exist. If this has somethin
   >g to do with it, could somebody talk me through making a new /dev for ddp?

I could be misremembering, but did you make the requisite changes to
/etc/services and /etc/netconfig? ISTR this being a possible result of
not adding the correct entries to your /etc files...
-- 
[email-masked]
I will not go near the kindergarten turtle
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson

---

From: Wenchi Liao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 14:29:31 -0600

John Browning wrote:
>rror trying to do the add_drv bit. It complains that the driver is installed, 
>but not attached. Which leads to some questions:
>

Is this 64bit solaris 7?

I have a friend trying to get netatalk going on 64bit sol7, and failing
on the make kinstall (loaded, but not attached, or however that message
goes). Presumably, the rest (etc/afpd, etc) compiled without a hitch. I
had him try afpd -d -T and it just quits out. This is the 2.1.3 and the
test version of netatalk. Haven't had a chance to truss this to see
what's happening.

WL

>all the other /devs that netconfig refers to do exist. If this has something t
>o do with it, could somebody talk me through making a new /dev for ddp?