Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk on Solaris 7

From: Casey Feskens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:43:50 -0700 (PDT)

Has anyone had luck installing netatalk on Solaris 7 with 64 bit 
support.  All of our attempts with egcs have failed so far.  Has anyone 
gotten this work?  If so, could you send instructions and/or a binary?

Thanks in advance,

---------------------------------------------
Casey Feskens <[email-masked]>
System Administrator/Network Svcs. Consultant
Willamette Integrated Technology Services
Willamette University, Salem, OR
Phone:  (503) 370-6950
Fax:  (503) 375-5456
---------------------------------------------

---

From: Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 13:07:06 -0600 (MDT)

> gotten this work?  If so, could you send instructions and/or a binary?

So how many times has this been asked and answered on this list?  Maybe
time for a FAQ addition?

EGCS even in its most recent incarnation (snapshot 7/14/99) it won't
compile good (if any) 64bit code for the Ultra Sparc on Solaris 7.

I have put up a compiled version (with TCPWRAPPER/RANDNUM/Diffie-Hellman
support) in ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/unix/netatalk-solaris.tar.gz

This is built from the source pre-asun2.1.4-31.tar.gz

extract this and do a 

make install
make kinstall

it installs in /opt/atalk

It has been compiled for a 64bit kernel on a box running Solaris 7. 

Tim

Tim Carlson                                  Voice:    (505) 984-8800x255
Director of Computing: Santa Fe Institute    Fax:      (505) 982-0565
WWW: http://www.santafe.edu/~tim             Email:   [email-masked]

---

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:10:40 -0500 (CDT)

I tried compiling netatalk on Intel Solaris 7, and got complete failures.
I don't believe netatalk is ported to Intel Solaris, perhaps only sparc.
If I am wrong, please correct me and inform me what I need to do to get
netatalk to compile on Intel Solaris 7.

> gotten this work?  If so, could you send instructions and/or a binary?

+------------------------------------------+    -----russ-----
   Russell E Glaue       [email-masked]       Technologies Engineer

                Center for the Application of Information Technologies
                101 Horrabin Hall,  1 University Circle
                Western Illinois University
                Macomb, Illinois 61455
                http://cait.wiu.edu     http://www.cait.org

---

From: Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 13:26:05 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, a sun wrote:

> a word of caution: providing a compiled version with
> randnum/diffie-hellman support places netatalk under the US's
> restrictive export controls. until such nastiness gets removed, i
> believe that you need to make sure that only us sites can get access
> to the file. 

oops :-)

I think I'll remove it from FTP. People can email me if they want
pre-compiled Solaris snapshots

Wouldn't want the CIA/FBI after me.. of course they won't go after the
crackers that try to invade my systems.. but that is another story

Tim

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:23:51 -0700 (PDT)

-a

---

From: Tim Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:12:28 -0600 (MDT)

The latest egcs ftp://egcs.cygnus.com/pub/egcs/snapshots/ will compile the
64bit kernel module. It craps out on the rest of the code, but gcc 2.8.1
will compile that happily :). Seems to run just fine.

If you are going to build and egcs snapshot, you need to do a

configure --target=sparcv9-sun-solaris2.7 --host=sparcv9-sun-solaris2.7

Tim

---

From: "Chris G. Sellers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:52:19 -0500 (EDT)

-a,
I was not able to find the .gz file in the location below.  Did I miss it?

Sellers

> believe that you need to make sure that only us sites can get access

<(************************************************************)>

   CHRIS G. SELLERS		
   Scientific Programmer Analyst 	
    Information & Instructional Technology 
	(formerly Computer & Information Services)
    101  Kresge Library		 		  
    Oakland University - Rochester, Michigan 48309-4401	
    Phone: (248) 370.2016    FAX: (248) 370.4251

---

From: "Chris G. Sellers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:55:22 -0500 (EDT)

OK - I think I need to take a break - I'm sorry - I didn't read all the
messages.  I'll go sit in the corner and get a clue!

Thanks!

   CHRIS G. SELLERS