Subject: [netatalk-admins] anyone gotten atalk over ppp to work?

From: Geoff Ghose <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 19:19:51 +0000

More of an appletalk question than a netatalk question, but...

I'm tying to get my Linux  server (kernel 2.2.2) to work with Rob
Newberry's atalkppp package.

http://www.eats.com/linux_atalk/atalk_ppp.html

I'm running pppd 2.3.5 with his patches, and the log looks promising:

Apr 17 16:05:06 focus pppd[517]: user geoff logged in
Apr 17 16:05:06 focus modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-21
Apr 17 16:05:06 focus modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-26
Apr 17 16:05:06 focus modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-24
Apr 17 16:05:06 focus pppd[517]: ATCP: configured for proxy AARP on
iface eth0
Apr 17 16:05:07 focus pppd[517]: ATCP: obtained proxy AARP (net = 6410,
our node = 200, proxy node = 113)
Apr 17 16:05:07 focus pppd[517]: ATCP: added AT_ADDRESS option (1), len
= 6, 6410.200
Apr 17 16:05:07 focus pppd[517]: ATCP: added AT_ROUTER_PROTOCOL option
(2), len = 4, value = 1
Apr 17 16:05:07 focus pppd[517]: ATCP: added AT_DEFAULT_ROUTER option
(8), len = 6, 6410.200
Apr 17 16:05:07 focus pppd[517]: ATCP: added AT_COMPLETE option (9), len
= 2 (no data)

but nothing is available in the Chooser.

Part of the problem is that the code seems to refer to startup scripts
called atup and atdown
, but I don't have such scripts, and am not sure how to construct them.

I've sent e-mail to the author of patches but haven't gotten a
response.  I was wondering
whether anyone has this sucessfully working.

Thanks.

---

From: Randy Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:29:24 -0500

Hello,
I dial into a Remote access Machine at work and also don't get to see
things in the chooser, but if your atalk server is using ip just type in
the number (I assume you have a newer MacOS)for the server and you
should see the shares. The standard ppp should work for your dial-in
needs. You just need to set it up, read the networking howto's.

Ran