Subject: [netatalk-admins] problem with two-way encrypted passwords

From: "Sandor W. Sklar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 11:31:20 -0700

Hello...

I am a new user of the netatalk package, on a vanilla RedHat 6.0 
Intel system, and while I have been successful installing and using 
the package with my macintosh, I have not been able to use the "2-way 
encrypted password" feature.

I have set up the netatalk+asun tarball (downloaded from 
ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun) along with the tcp wrappers package 
and the DES library, as described in the Linux Netatalk-HOWTO by 
Anders Brownworth.

I have also followed his instructions on setting up 2-way encrypted 
passwords, but this has not been successful.  I have no problem using 
standard unencrypted passwords. For example

Host = myhost
User ID = jdoe
jdoe's "unix" password (in /etc/shadow) = foobar

If jdoe, on his macintosh, goes to his chooser (version 7.6.2, MacOS 
8.5), and selects the file server "myhost", the "Connect to file 
server 'myhost' as ..." dialog box comes up. If jdoe enters his user 
id and his unix password "foobar" in the dialog box, there is no 
problem; he can select volumes and everything is fine.

However, if on his unix account he creates a file named ".passwd" in 
his home directory, containing the password "boofar", with the proper 
permissions (-rw-------) and then tries to mount a volume through the 
chooser, he recieves an "incorrect password" message.

Under both scenarios, the "Connect to file server..." dialog box says 
that "Clear-text password" is being used.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
--Sandy

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Sandor W. Sklar
    Unix Systems Administrator, ITSS/CSS
    Stanford University
    Polya Hall, 255 Panama Street
    Stanford, CA 94305-4136
    Tel: (650) 723-0512   Fax: (650) 723-3253
--------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Sandor W. Sklar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 13:59:22 -0700

I did now. :-)

Thanks for pointing out an obvious error on my part.  (Thanks also to 
Wehcni Liao, who also showed me the error of my ways.)

--Sandy

At 12:27 PM -0700 10/1/99, Brandon Warren wrote:
>Did you add the -randnum -rand2num options
>in afpd.conf ?
>
>Brandon
>
>On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Sandor W. Sklar wrote:
>
>>  Hello...
>>