Subject: [netatalk-admins] Printing woes continue

From: Tony Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 09:59:19 +0200

Hello again,

Printing is not fixed...

Red Hat 6.1 (upgrade over 6.0 clean install), netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3
installed and compiled over 6.1 upgrade, lpr 0.46-1 fix.

afpd works fine
server name is not visible in chooser
printer name neither
papd says it is working OK when I do the tests on the linux box
printing works on the linux box

When I print to the spooler from the Mac (G3 400 OS 8.6) it accepts the
document then locks solid.

Any help (URGENT my girlfriend isn't talking to me any more...) greatly
appreciated - the FAQ's have been of no assistance so far

Cheers

Tony Grant

---

From: Russell E Glaue <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:35:38 -0500 (CDT)

If you are printing remotely from the Linux box to the printer over
TCP/IP, then you have met a known problem.
I still have not seen this documented in any Netatlk Tutorials yet though,
so that is probably why you have not seen an answer.

The LPR program is the problem in this case, and not netatalk. LPR expects
a file to be spooled that has a name of a certain number of characters.
Netatalk's PAPD sends variable length named files to the LPR spool as one
would expect to be okay. However LPR does not expect this situation
between it and PAPD to have ever occurred, so it just lets the PAPD print
job sit in the spool and does nothing with it.

If you check the Netatlk Archives, you will find a patch for the LPR.

---

From: eirvine <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 17:38:03 +1000

Hi,
 
You might also consider installing LPRng instead.
It is a drop in replacement for the lp* tools and
daemon.
 
It works like a charm with FreeBSD, and I believe 
it is no problem with RedHat either.
 
http://www.astart.com/

Eddie.

---

From: Tony Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 16:24:37 +0200

> so that is probably why you have not seen an answer.

No I am printing to the spool on the linux box which has a laserjet 5MP
connected to the parallel port.
 
> job sit in the spool and does nothing with it.

This setup was working almost perfectly (some underscored caracters not
printing on the baseline) for several months. I upgraded to 6.1 to get
better support for internet connection for our home LAN...

> > document then locks solid.

Thanks to all who have responded. I am going back home to continue
working on this my  e-mail address there is [email-masked]

Cheers

Tony Grant

---

From: Tony Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 16:24:37 +0200

Cheers

Tony Grant