Subject: [netatalk-admins] 100 megabit tcp/ip slowness with new macs G4s and new iMacs

From: Dave Ritter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 21:49:09 -0600

Has anyone else experienced this slow down
with new macs running OS 8.6 not OS9?

Connecting via appletalk (by holding down the "Option" key when logging onto
the server with the "Chooser") with the same macs allows normal transfer
speeds (normal for appletalk).

My older macs running on 10BaseT and 100BaseT don't seem to have this
problem.

I'm running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3

this is where I got the RPM

http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/contrib/libc6/i386/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3-6.
i386.html

The server is a P3 500mhz
256 megs RAM
36 gig RAID 5 array
3com 3C905C 100Mbit ethernet card

3com 100Mbit Switched hub
all new cat5 ethernet cables

RedHat 6.1

Any Ideas?

Dave Ritter
[email-masked]

---

From: Ron Chmara <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 23:13:01 -0700

> with new macs running OS 8.6 not OS9?

Only those of us with Asante cards, or the ones who have forced full duplex
on managed switches, or downloaded the duplexing extensions from Apple.
:-)

> My older macs running on 10BaseT and 100BaseT don't seem to have this

Older NIC's on/in the Macs. I can't guarantee it, but *almost every newer 8.6
box we have* has run into this sooner or later. On the beige models, your
best best is usually an Asante NIC, on the blues/iMacs you can use the duplexing
extensions, on the greys? I dunno yet. Just got mine in this week, havn't
played with them much yet....

Of course, If you have a managed switch with duplexing settings (or
spanning tree, another possibility) you can turn your duplexing on to
full (or half, full works for me) and turn your spanning tree settings
off, so the client card is firced to _not_ negotiate between the two...

Give it a shot.

HTH,
-Bop