Subject: [netatalk-admins] fun with aliases and OS9 and the Keychain - AppleShare 3.8.4, 3.8.5 and 3.8.6

From: Dave Ritter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 19:35:52 -0600

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n58523

-------
from the Apple tech info file...
-------

 The AppleShare Prep file is no longer used to store startup mounting
 information. Instead the information needed to mount a server volume at
 startup is stored in alias files in a special "Servers" folder in the
 System folder. Server aliases dropped on the active System folder will be
 automatically routed to this special folder. Password information is stored
 in the Keychain. This mechanism also works for other remote volume aliases
 made by other network filesystem clients such as DAVE from Thursby systems
 and NetWare Client 5.12 from Prosoft Engineering.

----

I don't know if this affects anyone else but, I am getting some pretty goofy
results logging into our Linux boxes with OS9. Several of these aliases in
the "Servers" folder point to the same netatalk volume (they should be
pointing to different volumes). This problem (new feature?) also happens
with the Appleshare Client (3.8.4) that ships with the new G4s, even if they
are using OS 8.6.