Subject: [netatalk-admins] another snapshot

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:03:10 -0700 (PDT)

hi all,

i've made pre-asun2.1.4-29.tar.gz available. please check it out. it
should compile on solaris again. in addition, i need reports for the
*bsd machines. i just got one for netbsd, but it was strange. 

besides various configuration fixes, this version also has variable
substitutions. it handles the following variables in either the path
or volname part of AppleVolumes.*:
       $h -> hostname
       $u -> user
       $g -> group
       $z -> zone (may not exist)
       $s -> server (may not exist)
       $$ -> $

for the variables that might not exist, it just skips them if that's
the case. for those that it doesn't understand, it just spits them
back out. anyways, have fun and remember that volume names are limited
to 27 characters total. 

what remains to be done:
     1) merging of the redhat contributed rpm stuff. if i get
        something for debian, i'll try to merge that in as well.
     2) successful compile reports for *bsd machines (and ultrix if
        that's still being used).
     3) uams: i'll write a pgp uam if i have time. i also need bits to
        re-write the kerberos uam.
     4) other useful variable names. what would people like?
     5) i might stick in idle timeouts, but don't count on it.
     6) modernize the installation a little. that is, SBINDIR will
        point to DESTDIR/sbin instead of DESTDIR/etc.

-a

---

From: Rich Lafferty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 09:18:09 -0400

>         something for debian, i'll try to merge that in as well.

I had sent a note to the maintainer of the Debian packages to get in
touch with you, but it appears that it didn't get anywhere. If you
don't hear from Joel (Klecker, [email-masked], CC'd), then the .deb
packages are:

Stable branch: netatalk1.4b2+asun2.1.1
<ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/net/netatalk_1.4b2+asun2.1.1-2.deb>

Unstable branch: +asun2.1.3
<ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-i386/net/netatalk_1.4b2+asun2.1.3-2.deb>

>         that's still being used).

If you don't find any ultrix guinea pigs, we've got a machine around
here that's used by an undergraduate group running 4.3r44, and I could
*probably* at least make sure things build. (The machine's also
maintained by that group, so that sort of depends on whether or not
it's in a sane state..)

  -Rich

-- 
Rich Lafferty ---------------------------------------------------------
IITS/Computing Services  | "How should I know if it works? That's what
Concordia University     |  beta testers are for. I only coded it" -LT
[email-masked] ----------------------------------------[McQ]--

---

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 19:37:15 +0200

> *bsd machines. i just got one for netbsd, but it was strange.

Hi!

A report for FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE i386:

I tried compiling with both standard gcc version 2.7.2.1 and egcs-1.1.2.
Both work fine.

I had to remove -ldl from the etc/uams/Makefile, since FreeBSD doesn't
seem to have that lib, AFAIK. For what it's worth, I enclose the patch
*just for reference*. It will of course break other platforms. :)

The only thing I found was a warning (nothing special, I guess don't
bother?):

gcc -p -DBSD4_4 -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_BSD -O2 -I../../include -c
ad_sendfile.c
ad_sendfile.c: In function `ad_readfile':
ad_sendfile.c:62: warning: passing arg 6 of `sendfile' from incompatible
pointer type
ld -r -o ad_sendfile.o- ad_sendfile.o
mv ad_sendfile.o- profiled/ad_sendfile.o
gcc -DBSD4_4 -DSENDFILE_FLAVOR_BSD -O2 -I../../include -c ad_sendfile.c
ad_sendfile.c: In function `ad_readfile':
ad_sendfile.c:62: warning: passing arg 6 of `sendfile' from incompatible
pointer type

Apart from that, it compliled fine. I commented out CRACKDIR, DESDIR and
CRYPTODIR from the Makefile, and issued 'make'.

/Palle

--- etc/uams/Makefile~	Thu Jun 10 20:24:44 1999
+++ etc/uams/Makefile	Fri Jun 18 03:09:38 1999
@@ -46,7 +46,7 @@
 	    CRYPTODEFS="-DUAM_RNDNUM -DUAM_DHX"; \
 	fi; \
 	if [ x"${PAMDIR}" != x ]; then \
-	    PAMLIBS="-lpam -ldl"; \
+	    PAMLIBS="-lpam"; \
 	    if [ "${PAMDIR}" != "/usr" ]; then \
 	      PAMLIBDIRS="-L${PAMDIR}/lib"; \
 	      PAMINCPATH="-I${PAMDIR}/include"; \

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:42:33 +0200

>     4) other useful variable names. what would people like?

I wrote something about this last wednesday.
If you can't find it, let me know.

:wq! PoC

---

From: Joel Klecker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 03:09:00 -0700

>        something for debian, i'll try to merge that in as well.

That really isn't possible at this point, I have a bunch of patches 
that my packaging depends on, and I need to cleanup the patches 
before I can send them.

-- Joel, Debian package maintainer for netatalk.
-- 
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:[email-masked]>                 <URL:mailto:[email-masked]>
<URL:http://web.espy.org/>               <URL:http://www.debian.org/>