Subject: [netatalk-admins] Loosing network connexion

From: "Guillaume Menguy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 10:47:18 +0100

Hi,

I'm using pre-asun2.1.4-36a + papd-binary patch on a redhat 6.1 Linux server. Each time a Mac boots, regardless the model and the OS, it's getting the following message : "Your access to appletalk network has been interrupted", with the only choice of clicking on "Ok". And you can work and browse the shares imediatly, everything run okay.
So my problem isn't so important, but my users are getting borred by this message.
Thanks,

G.Menguy

---

From: sat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 12:35:40 -0500

Was this happening before you installed the netatalk box?

This started to happen to us after we migrated our LAN to 100BT from 10BT.

--On Thursday, December 16, 1999 10:47 AM +0100 Guillaume Menguy
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> 
> Hi, 
>   
> I'm using pre-asun2.1.4-36a + papd-binary patch on a redhat 6.1 Linux
> server. Each time a Mac boots, regardless the model and the OS, it's
> getting the following message : "Your access to appletalk network has
> been interrupted", with the only choice of clicking on "Ok". And you can
> work and browse the shares imediatly, everything run okay.  So my problem
> isn't so important, but my users are getting borred by this message. 
> Thanks, 
>   
> G.Menguy

---

From: "Guillaume Menguy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:02:50 +0100

No, I have never seen this message with our old NT server. And we're on a
10BT Network.

---

From: Ron Chmara <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 21:57:40 -0700

> > > isn't so important, but my users are getting borred by this message.

There's problems with switches that cause this, with spanning tree enabled.
There's problems with routing that cause this, if there are several atalk
routers in contention, such as Helios+NT+Netatalk...

-Bop

---

From: Satadru Pramanik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 03:07:55 -0500

We have a situation of a netatalk box with a ten megabit card connected to 
a 10/100 Cisco Switch ( Spanning tree Off) which then connects to another 
WAN router via a ten megabit connection that then acts as a Appletalk Seed 
Router ( or so I assume).

Is there a way to keep the netatlk boxx from acting as a seed router?

thanks.

sat

-=
Satadru Pramanik
Managing Online Editor
The Michigan Daily
http://michigandaily.com
=-

Is there a way NOT to let the netalk box act as a router?

--On Tuesday, December 21, 1999 9:57 PM -0700 Ron Chmara <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

>> > > been interrupted", with the only choice of clicking on "Ok". And you
>> > > can work and browse the shares imediatly, everything run okay.  So my
>> problem
> There's problems with switches that cause this, with spanning tree
> enabled. There's problems with routing that cause this, if there are
> several atalk routers in contention, such as Helios+NT+Netatalk...
> 
> -Bop
>