Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] 2 interfaces; routing

From: Rob Newberry <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:45:14 -0500 (EST)

> > In order to seed, you must explicitly set the network information -- you
> > need to assign network addresses to both networks:
> > 
> > en1 -seed -phase 2 -net XXX-XXX
> > en0 -seed -phase 2 -net YYY-YYY
> > 
> > You get to fill in XXX-XXX and YYY-YYY with whatever you want.
> 
> There's a pre existing network on the outside- just no zones. There used
> to be, but CIS cut off AppleTalk routing to the rest of the campus and now
> we're all alone on our router.
> 
> Do I really need to seed there?
> 
> The above is the only way I can get the server to show up internally- if I
> do eth1 differently, eth0 doesn't work either  :-/

Hmmm...

It would make SENSE to me that you should do this, then (assuming eth1
is connected to the 'real' network):

	eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net XXX-XXX
	eth1 -phase 2

And make sure XXX-XXX doesn't conflict with ANY other networks there -- if
there's already a route available via eth1 to the XXX-XXX you choose, then
it will fail.  You basically need to find a unique AppleTalk network for
your own use, since your router will now be communicating with all the
other routers on the AppleTalk network (which, if you're hooking up to the
TAMU AppleTalk network, is pretty big if I remember correctly).

Finally, "atalkd" doesn't always seem to do what I think it SHOULD do from
looking at the configuration.  Adrian Sun has added a 'router' flag, which
may or may not help in this situation.  Hopefully he'll also post some
useful information here.

Rob