Subject: [netatalk-admins] Serving HFS volumes and 2.2 kernel

From: Brandon Warren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:21:29 -0700 (PDT)

I'm in the process of setting up a server running Mandrake 6.0
(similar to Red Hat 6.0). I'm using Red Hat's 2.2.5-22 kernel
and netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.3.

I have an optical drive (uses 650 MB PD disks) connected to
the SCSI bus.  I can put in a Mac formatted PD disk, mount
it, and read it. I can copy it to my ext2 partition,
go to a Mac, connect via chooser, and read the copy
from the ext2 partition.

The problem is when I try to access the PD disk over the
network from a Mac.  I can copy many files just fine, but
some files cause the Mac to say that there is a disk error
and then the Mac says that the server's connection has unexpectedly
closed down.  It seems that files with a resource fork but
no data fork are more likely to do this.

I have a Red Hat 5.2 system (2.0.36 kernel) with the same
setup, and it does not have this problem.

Any ideas?  Are any other kernel 2.2 users able to access an HFS volume
from a Mac?  Would Samba/Dave be more reliable?

Thanks,

Brandon