Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk on Solaris: can't print

From: Chris Garnett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 17:44:11 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

I'm wondering whether anyone could shed any light on my problem.

I've built netatalk-990130 on a SparcStation 5 with Solaris 7 using
Sun's C compiler. It builds and installs with no problems. However I
cannot print; Mac clients seem to be able to see "the printer" (well
the queue) and that's all: they cannot 'Setup' or print
successfully. My main test client is running MacOS 7.5.5 but we have
similar problems with another MacOS 8.x machine.

My papd.conf is:

dcs_lex Optra S2450\:LaserWriter:\
        pr=|/usr/ucb/lpr -Pdcs_lex:pd=/etc/lp/printers/dcs_lex/OptraS.ppd:op=testusr:

- I do no file sharing as yet.

My atalkd.conf file is:

le1 -seed -phase 2 -addr 4050.1 -net 4050-4099 -zone "DCS Admin Macs"
le3 -seed -phase 2 -addr 4100.1 -net 4100-4149 -zone "DCS DHCP Macs"

I have tried a number of things, e.g. the PPD file had ^Ms (carriage
returns) instead of linefeeds, so I changed that. I have also looked
at what's getting syslog'ed (not a lot), for example I see when the
Mac tries to print:

Oct 20 17:24:15 crab papd[231]: child 1370 for "dcs_lex Optra S2450" from 4117.44

... but this seems to timeout eventually.

If anyone else out there is successfully printing with Solaris and
netatalk I would be interested to hear from you. Or if anyone has any
suggestions, could they please help me out,

Many thanks in advance,

Chris. Garnett
--
Systems Programmer
Dept. of Computer Science	email:	[email-masked]
University of Warwick		phone:	+44 24 7652 3485 (7657 3024 for FAX)
Coventry, CV4 7AL, United Kingdom

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 13:18:18 -0400

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 05:44:11PM +0100, Chris Garnett wrote:
} Hi,
} 
} I'm wondering whether anyone could shed any light on my problem.
} 
} I've built netatalk-990130 on a SparcStation 5 with Solaris 7 using
} Sun's C compiler. It builds and installs with no problems. However I
} cannot print; Mac clients seem to be able to see "the printer" (well
} the queue) and that's all: they cannot 'Setup' or print
} successfully. My main test client is running MacOS 7.5.5 but we have
} similar problems with another MacOS 8.x machine.
} 
} My papd.conf is:
} 
} dcs_lex Optra S2450\:LaserWriter:\
}         pr=|/usr/ucb/lpr -Pdcs_lex:pd=/etc/lp/printers/dcs_lex/OptraS.ppd:op=testusr:
} 
} - I do no file sharing as yet.
} 
} My atalkd.conf file is:
} 
} le1 -seed -phase 2 -addr 4050.1 -net 4050-4099 -zone "DCS Admin Macs"
} le3 -seed -phase 2 -addr 4100.1 -net 4100-4149 -zone "DCS DHCP Macs"
} 
} 
} I have tried a number of things, e.g. the PPD file had ^Ms (carriage
} returns) instead of linefeeds, so I changed that. I have also looked
} at what's getting syslog'ed (not a lot), for example I see when the
} Mac tries to print:
} 
} Oct 20 17:24:15 crab papd[231]: child 1370 for "dcs_lex Optra S2450" from 4117.44
} 
} 
} ... but this seems to timeout eventually.
} 
} If anyone else out there is successfully printing with Solaris and
} netatalk I would be interested to hear from you. Or if anyone has any
} suggestions, could they please help me out,

I don't know how much this will help, but I'm running
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.4 built with gcc under Solaris 7 on a
Sparcstation IPX and a Sparcstation 2, and under both Solaris and
SunOS we've never had any difficulties printing.  That may be because
I've never bothered with a papd.conf or .ppd files.  The Macs
(primarily a G3 running 8.1, but occasionally others) can see the
queues on the Suns and print to them without difficulty, although
usually it prints direct to the printer.

The same is true of a G3 running Yellow Dog Linux and netatalk at
home; printing to the Epson 740 connected to that machine through a
serial port has been trivial using the generic Lasertalk driver on an
iBook, with gs doing the translation on the G3.  Again I don't have a
papd.conf.

So the first thing I'd try if I were you would be to lose the
papd.conf, restart papd, and see if you can print.  If you can, then
I'd start trying to find out what's wrong with the papd.conf, or
simply forget it if the printer works well enough.

} 
} 
} Many thanks in advance,
} 
} 
} Chris. Garnett
} --
} Systems Programmer
} Dept. of Computer Science	email:	[email-masked]
} University of Warwick		phone:	+44 24 7652 3485 (7657 3024 for FAX)
} Coventry, CV4 7AL, United Kingdom
} 
} 

-- 
--------
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
[email-masked]