Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] atalk for Digital Unix 4.0

From: [email-masked] (Abel Deuring)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 00:00:00 +0000

[sorry - this is off topic regarding netatalk but I can't stop  
myself...]

Stefan Bethke wrote:

> > -	Even EtherShare may have problems integrating with samba; the
> > recommendation seems to be to use EtherShare for both Mac and Windows
> > file sharing (there's a companion Windows server product).
>
> EtherShare (as well as IPT's uShare) implement fixed file id's.  Because
> Mac clients usually reference files on the volume by their file id (or dir
> id + filename), a database keeps track of id->path relations.  Obviously,
> this database must be kept in sync with the actual file system contents.
> If you move or rename files "behind the back" of the file server, the
> database gets out of sync, and "funny" things start happening. Helios
> provides a number of replacement command line utilities for mv, cp, et al.
> that know how to deal with these data.
>
> Unfortunatly, for these reasons, you can't run Samba on an EtherShare
> volume without risking serious problems.  Helios has announced PCShare 3,
> which will be a SMB server tightly integrated with EtherShare (and the
> prepress products).

This is probably correct from the viewpoint that you want to  
avoid any theoretically possible problems regarding the co- 
existence of Ethershare and Samba.

On the other hand, the last version of PCShare I have seen does  
only support the old MSDOS 8.3 filenames. Really not the choice  
for Windoze 95 or NT clients...

Practically, I had not had any serious problems in a DTP  
environment after hacking Samba, so that it creates an .rsrc  
subdirectory when a Samba client creates a directory. Things like  
file locking of course don't work across Samba/Ethershare.

Some months ago, I even got a call from one of Promo's EtherShare  
resellers: The guy asked me for my Samba patch...

Abel