Subject: [netatalk-admins] Problem with HP 8000 and 8100 and psf (ifmpap)

From: William Knox <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:03:30 -0400

I am having a problem printing with pap to HP 8000 and 8100 printers
with the psf filter ifmpap.  No matter which HP driver I use (PS, PCL5e,
PCL 6), it prints only the banner page, and if I have the 'Print
PostScript errors' option selected on the printer, the banner page is
followed by an error page with the following (with both the PS and PCL
drivers):

ERROR: undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND:

STACK:

If I print with a generic Apple LaserWriter driver, I have no problems. 
If I send the job directly with pap, no problem.  If I set the printer
up as an IP printer, no problem.  The PostScript does not seem to have
anything unusual in it.  Doing an examination of everything logged at a
debug level also reveals nothing (see below). Using the HP drivers for
other HPs we have here (5Si MX PS, 4MV, etc.) works fine under this
system. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?  I am
completely stumped, and beginning to tear my hair out.  Thanks in
advance.

Here is the log entry for an entire print job, including banner:

Sep 14 15:38:16 bear ofmpap[22154]: starting for root
Sep 14 15:38:16 bear ofmpap[22154]: accounting with psa[22155]
Sep 14 15:38:16 bear ofmpap[22154]: sending to pap[22156]
Sep 14 15:38:16 bear ofmpap[22154]: straight text
Sep 14 15:38:16 bear ofmpap[22154]: pagecount with pap[22157]
Sep 14 15:38:18 bear ofmpap[22154]: 22156 done
Sep 14 15:38:22 bear ofmpap[22154]: 22157 done
Sep 14 15:38:22 bear ofmpap[22154]: 22155 done
Sep 14 15:38:22 bear ofmpap[22154]: pausing
Sep 14 15:38:23 bear ifmpap[22158]: starting for root
Sep 14 15:38:23 bear ifmpap[22158]: accounting with psa[22159]
Sep 14 15:38:23 bear ifmpap[22158]: sending to pap[22160]
Sep 14 15:38:23 bear ifmpap[22158]: PostScript w/PJL
Sep 14 15:38:23 bear ifmpap[22158]: pagecount with pap[22161]
Sep 14 15:38:25 bear ifmpap[22158]: 22160 done
Sep 14 15:38:29 bear ifmpap[22158]: 22161 done
Sep 14 15:38:29 bear ifmpap[22158]: 22159 done
Sep 14 15:38:29 bear ifmpap[22158]: done
Sep 14 15:38:29 bear ofmpap[22154]: restarting
Sep 14 15:38:29 bear ofmpap[22154]: done

--
			Bill Knox
			Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
			The MITRE Corporation