Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Chooser visibilty, MacOS 8.5+ and ATM

From: [email-masked] (William P. McGonigle)
Date: 12 Aug 99 13:55:27 EDT

--- "R. Michael Stephens" wrote:
 It all works fine -- EXCEPT that MacOSes 8.5 and
newer cannot see the the shares from the ATM attached servers in the
chooser.
--- end of quote ---

Does the same behavior occur with the current client under older OS's?

Does AppleTalk work OK in other apps?  Can you see printers?  Do NBPlookup with
DMZ or similar work OK?

-Bill
-----
[email-masked] / FAX: (419) 710-9745
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Clinical Computing

---

From: "R. Michael Stephens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 08:37:15 -0500

Thanks for your response.

> Does the same behavior occur with the current client under older OS's?

MacOS releases prior to 8.5 see the shares just fine on both sets of
servers (ATM attached AND non-ATM attached).

Because of this I have to wonder what changes have been made around 8.5
to make the difference -- 

I don't doubt that there is a likely hood of some configuration issues
with ATM but I am going to have to have some hard evidence before I can
go to the Networks folks.  The fact that all of the pre 8.5 macs see and
access all of the shares and the post 8.5 macs cannot see the ATM
attached shares is troublesome and form their point of view a Mac issue.

It would be helpful to know if there are any sites which have ATM
attached netatalk servers that work for post 8.5 macs.

> Does AppleTalk work OK in other apps?  Can you see printers?  Do NBPlookup with

We don't provide printer support so I can't say about that.  I will have
to look into NBPlookup and have no Idea what DMZ is/does (I have over 20
years of UNIX and programming experience and a good bit of windows but I
an a Mac novice)

-- 
R. Michael Stephens            Systems Software Specialist   
VUspace Project              Technical Infrastructure Team
Academic Computing & Info. Systems,  Vanderbilt University
Nashville TN. USA [email-masked] 615.343.8780     

"I move my feet, I go through the motions - 
HE gives purpose to chance.  I am the dancer.  
HE is LORD of the Dance."      Steven Curtis Chapman