Subject: [netatalk-admins] make install problem on solaris 2.5.1

From: jesse reynolds <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 23:53:11 +1030

hi there

I'm sorry I'm a bit of a dummy at compiling things. I'm trying to install
netatalk on a Sparc 2 running solaris 2.5.1. I've edited the Makefile and
made the DESTDIR /opt/atalk as /usr don't have enough room available.

When I type in "make install" i get the following output:

beetroot:/opt/netatalk/netatalk-1.3.3> make install
Making install for sun...
cc  -O -I../../include -I../netatalk -DKERNEL -D`arch -k` -c at_sun.c
/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `at_sun.o'
Current working directory /opt/netatalk/netatalk-1.3.3/sys/sun
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `install'
beetroot:/opt/netatalk/netatalk-1.3.3>

what does it mean that "language optional software package not installed"
??? I guess that's my problem, yes?

I installed GNU c compiler a year ago or so, and I'm sure it has worked in
the past.

Any help you can offer would be vastly appreciated.

cheers

jesse

--
  Jesse Reynolds      Virtual Artists Pty Ltd      http://www.va.com.au
  V.C.E.          ->  http://www.va.com.au/vce     Virtual Community Engine
  Level 2  187  Rundle  St  Adelaide   South Australia  5000  Australia
  voice: +618 8223 2288     email: [email-masked]    icq: 4766684

  Uranium Mine for Kakadu?     ->     http://www.jabiluka.net/

---

From: Amitai Schlair <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 16:15:34 -0400 (EDT)

> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `at_sun.o'

Disclaimer: I'm not a Solaris guy.

Check netatalk-1.3.3/sys/solaris/Makefile. There's an option to specify
which compiler you want to use.

Do you have a compelling reason to use an old version of netatalk? It's
possible that the 1.4 beta will build just fine on your system.

- Amitai

---

From: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 14:42:46 -0700

> I installed GNU c compiler a year ago or so, and I'm sure it has worked in

Netatalk is looking for the standard "cc" which you don't have.  You'll
probably have to modify a Makefile or two.  Actually, I think on my Sun I
linked "gcc" to "cc" and that fixes it pretty well.

Marc

--
Marc Matteo
Web Engineer, The Sacramento Bee
http://www.sacbee.com
"We're a newspaper, we don't actually own any bees."

---

From: jesse reynolds <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 01:26:53 +1030

Hello again people...

Jan kindly send me a freshly compiled gcc for my solaris 2.5.1 and I got way further with compiling the 1.4b2+asun2.1.0 version. I got many screenfulls of happy compiler comments and then, sadly, this...

gcc -p -D__svr4__ -DSOLARIS -I../../sys/solaris -O -I../../include  -DTCPWRAP -c dsi_read.c
ld -r -o dsi_read.o- dsi_read.o
mv dsi_read.o- profiled/dsi_read.o
gcc -D__svr4__ -DSOLARIS -I../../sys/solaris -O -I../../include  -DTCPWRAP -c dsi_read.c
ld -r -o dsi_read.o- dsi_read.o
mv dsi_read.o- dsi_read.o
gcc -p -D__svr4__ -DSOLARIS -I../../sys/solaris -O -I../../include  -DTCPWRAP -c dsi_tcp.c
dsi_tcp.c:27: tcpd.h: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `dsi_tcp.o'
Current working directory /opt/netatalk/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0/libatalk/dsi
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
Current working directory /opt/netatalk/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0/libatalk/dsi
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `dsi'
Current working directory /opt/netatalk/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0/libatalk
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `../../libatalk'
Current working directory /opt/netatalk/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0/sys/solaris
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'
beetroot:/opt/netatalk/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0> 

So basically it can't find "tcpd.h" I guess. Is this part of gcc or netatalk? What should I do from here?

cheers

jesse

ps, is there anything send on this list recently other than about my problem? I'm not getting anything directly from the list at all.....

-j

---

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 16:56:52 -0700

Check the Makefile, it looks like you are compiling with the TCPWRAPPERS
stuff and you probably don't have that stuff on your system.

Comment out the TCPWRAPDIR stuff, adn look at the stuff
about DES libs and PAM stuff.  Do you want(or have the ability
to support) these.

hope that helps,
-jeff

-- 
Jeff King | Manager, Communications Systems
[email-masked] | Radix Technologies, Inc.
650-944-1219 | http://www.radixtek.com       
-Will sysadmin for food-

---

From: Mike Holling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 20:19:22 -0400 (EDT)

> netatalk? What should I do from here?

tcpd.h is part of the TCP wrappers package.  This is optional software
that's recommended but not necessary.  Check the Makefile and comment it
out if you don't want it.  You'll probably want to look at the other
options in there as well.

- Mike