Subject: [netatalk-admins] home dirs on unix host for mac users

From: Pat Trainor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 16:02:59 -0400 (EDT)

What is the best strategy for adjusting AppleVolumes.* to allow
mac users who have login/pass on a sol2.6 box to be able to log in as that
user (vs. Public/all one user)?

	I have samba doing this for win* no sweat, and neta public is a
snap. The only thing left is allowing a user to log in as their unix login
and drop them in their home dir on the unix system..

	Ideas? TIA!

pat 	
:)

Pat Trainor
..will program for boat

---

From: Tony & <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 16:10:31 -0500

> and drop them in their home dir on the unix system..

	I'm not sure what the problem is?
	We have both ~ and /home listed in our AppleVolumes file.  This
allows people to get either their own home directory or the sitewide
general home.
-- 
Anthony J. Stuckey                              [email-masked]
"When I was young, the sky was full of stars.
 I watched them burn out one by one."  -Warren Zevon

---

From: Mark Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 16:12:37 -0500

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Pat Trainor wrote:
> neta public is a
> snap. 

As Tony said, putting the entry for user homes will typically do the
trick...

Unless your users aren't being authenticated correctly.  (Does it come
back with something along the lines of bad password?)  This is a sign of
either using shadow passwords or PAM (which I _think_ solaris
has...correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, if Tony's suggestion doesn't do it, and you don't use shadow
passwords, then you might want to go find the asun distribution, which
handles the PAM stuff.  Hey, at the very least you will add in the ability
to do AppleShare/IP!

--Mark