Subject: [netatalk-admins] Printing via Ghostscript

From: Oliver Scheel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 22:20:40 +0100

I want to print from my Mac via Netatalk 1.4b2 (os8 fixed) via
Ghostscript to my Stylus Color 600 connected to my FreeBSD 2.2.2 box. On
the Mac I selected the LaserWriter Color 16/600.

With some programs it work (BBEdit Lite, Claris Works), with other not
(e.g. Acrobat Reader). Ghostscript generates error stuff. Furthermore
when I try to print landscape ghostscript doesnt recognize it.

I think I need another PPD file and/or have to reconfigure ghostscript.

Any hints?

Many thanks.

Oliver

-- 
http://www.camelot.de/~os/

     best things in life are free

---

From: "Robert O'Kane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 02:23:01 +0100

Greetings,

Oliver Scheel wrote:
> Ghostscript to my Stylus Color 600 connected to my FreeBSD 2.2.2 box.
> On the Mac I selected the LaserWriter Color 16/600.
> 

After some( >=4 hours) of searching and playing (I never used a MAC
before .. Lucky me  ;-) ...
I found that a PPD is a "well known" options translator which 
seems to be very popular in the mac world. (possibly others also).

This means the options in the PPD file have definitions for 'how'
to enable those options for the driver your useing. Often these are
Postscript dictionary definitions for how to enable/select some
option that is defined in the driver. (Page size selection, 'bits
per pixel', etc...)

By looking at the PPD from other manufacturers drivers, you can
'see' how things might be done. (e.g. BIRMY rip for epson 15xx -
resolution PPD claims to be 1400x1400 but the rip in the PPD
actually defines the known 1400x720 and enables another weave 
pattern).  (So why can we do the same? ;)

DON'T ASK ME HOW TO WRITE A PPD FOR SOMETHING!

I'm still learning also. What this job would need is a ghostscript
expert which I'm the 2nd LAST on the list. (I know someone who knows
less).

So for you, "Yes, you would nees a PPD for the epson using a
ghostscript driver."

Is there a place to find such creations?

Robert O'Kane

  "... atleast until you try to return them."

-- 
*/
----------------------------------------------
Unfortunatly, I find language (like politics) necessary for humans.
Leider finde Ich Sprache (wie Politik) fuer die Menschen notwendig.
----------------------------------------------
WHO   : Robert O'Kane
WHERE : Künstlergruppe OTHERSPACE
WHAT  : Founding Member and Linker

WHY   : http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~okane
HOW   : [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------