Subject: [netatalk-admins] versions for Irix 6.x

From: Ilya Timofeyev <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 18:12:58 +0400 (MSD)

Hello for everyone,

I am searching working version of netatalk for Irix 6.x (SGI).

Does anyone have a compiled version?

~~~~~~~o0o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ilya Timofeyev                       *  phone:      +7-095-181-0043
System engineer			     *  fax:        +7-095-187-7310
Catalyst Silicon Solutions    	     *  www: http://www.catalyst.ru

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:31:12 -0700

Previously...
>Does anyone have a compiled version?

As far as I know, it's not possible. netatalk requires kernel support
for AppleTalk (that's how it realizes significant speed benefits over
CAP). It's non-trivial to implement a port of the kernel driver to a
new platform. Supported platforms, last I checked were: *BSD, Linux,
SunOS4, Solaris 2.5/2.6, Ultrix.

It's theoretically possible that you might, with a fair amount of
tweaking, be able to build an asun-patched version (e.g.
pre-asun2.1.0-x) and run afpd without ddp (AppleTalk) support, since
it supports AppleShareIP (afp over tcp/ip). Your mileage may vary. If
you need printing support, then that's a no-go.

You might want to look into CAP (Columbia AppleTalk Package). It's a
tad slower, doesn't seem to be undergoing development, but it does run
on more platforms that netatalk.
_________
mike ([email-masked])
I will not belch the National Anthem
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson