Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] IP Encapsulation

From: "Stefan Bethke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 18:48:23 +0100

--On Mit, 4. Feb 1998 0:36 Uhr +1100 "Robert Edwards"
<[email-masked]> wrote: 
> I am wondering if anyone can throw any wisdom towards a solution to
> providing IP encapsulation for a Mac laptop which only has a LocalTalk
> connection (connected to my Linux boxes through an Asante Ether*Print
box).
> 
> I understand that some LocalTalk to EtherTalk adaptors/routers provided
> a service or protocol called "KIP" (I don't know what it stands for).
Kinetics IP. Nowadays called "MacIP".

> What I want is for one of my Linux boxes to do something similar,
> unpacking IP packets from AppleTalk Streams coming from MacTCP and then
> sending them on their way on the IP network. Anyone know of any software
> that will do something like that? Any other (cheap) solutions?

If you were using FreeBSD, you could use macipgw. Unfortunatly, macipgw uses
a special device of the FreeBSD kernel (the tun device) to send and receive
IP packets, and it seems to me that Linux doesn't have a similiar facility
(I'm not sure, I'm definitly no expert on Linux kernel features.)

Nonetheless, take a look at http://www.promo.de/pub/people/stefan/netatalk/
or ftp://ftp.promo.de/pub/people/stefan/netatalk/

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. +49-40-851744-18
+ Systemberatung GmbH   |  Fax. +49-40-851744-44
Eduardstrasse 46-48     |  e-mail: [email-masked]
D-20257 Hamburg         |  http://www.Promo.DE/