Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Slow filesearch

From: [email-masked] (William P. McGonigle)
Date: 11 Dec 98 11:42:25 EST

--- Soeren Todt wrote:
I have a problem and can't find a solution.
There are 48 Appleclients via 2 * 24port switches connected to a Linux
box with a 104 GB RAID (running netatalk via TCP/IP).
Now there are many little images and a search takes more then a minute
to find the file.
Does somebody knows a speedup procedure for this (nerving) problem?
--- end of quote ---

I think netatalk would have to handle local searching for the clients.  I
believe netatalk doesn't do this now, so clients need to walk the filesystem to
search.

-Bill

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 06:07:58 -0800 (PST)

Not pretty, and does not produce a easily followable list like the mac
find-file, and is not real-time-updated, and it is broken in its apprach,
but...
A cron job that run that does something like:
find /path/to/afpvolume -name \* -print | cut -c19-2048 >
/path/to/afpvolume/index.txt

This would give you a text file with all of the files on your system, and
a path to these files relative to theroot of the fileshare... of course
the range to cut in chars should be customized to chop off the
"/path/to/afpvolume"

The users could load up this file and do a "Search" on the document to
locate the actual path... tr could be used to substitute the "/" for ":"
and maybe some paths for the mac could be produced fopr use with ...

Like I said, it is not ideal, and has a lot of problems, but if you have
millions of files, and several users are trying to locate certain files,
then this might be worth the time and embarassment...

In addition, you may be able to use a -exec with an ls -l to specify
lengths of the files too...

A simple and broken solution if there ever was one.

hee-hee

-M

 On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, William P. McGonigle wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 11:42:25 -0500 (EST)
> From: "William P. McGonigle" <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked], netatalk <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Slow filesearch
> 
> --- Soeren Todt wrote:

---

From: Soeren Todt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 00:44:06 +0100

Mike wrote:

[work around for slow filesearch]

Thank you all for tips and tricks.
I have heard that my problem was discussed 1 or 2 Weeks before. I
downloaded the last avaible archive and searched for an answer. But the
newest article was from april 1998.
Maybe someone is so kind to send me the appropriate thread.
Thanks for your helping hand.

Soeren