Subject: [netatalk-admins] Linux, Pam, NetAtalk, Samba, and NT Domain

From: "Douglas M. MacFarlane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 23:35:14 -0500 (CDT)

We have a client tthat has approved replacing several NT file
and print servers with Linux systems IF we can make the
multiplatform serving work.

Client workstations are Win95, NT4, Macintosh, and Unix.  

We currently have close to a single-signon system.  The only piece
that is missing is Unix.  The NT PDC authenticates all the rest of
the pieces.

We have the first Linus RedHat 5 system setup and Samba is running
fine, along with PAM.  All PC access as well as shell logins succeed
using the NT ID and password.  Netatalk is also working for guest
access, but not for authenticated access.

My co-worker is ready to tear his hair out he's so close and he
hates M$ and is licking his chops at the thought of replacing NT
systems with his beloved Linux.  But he's whipped on this and wants
to pitch scrapping the single-signon for the Mac users and just use
a local passwd file or NIS for them . . . 

I'm not ready to give up.  I've perused the PAM sections in the
Solaris 2.6 docs and plowed through the PAM mailing list archives
adn the archives for this list and didn't see a HowTo,
unfortunately.

I THINK the issue that that netatalk;s afpd doesn't use the login
service for authentication, and we need to configure a service for
it in PAM.  But I have no idea if this is right or what service to
configure . . . .

If someone has managed to pull this off, could they please contact
me directly (or through the list if you so desire).

Thanks

Doug

Douglas M. MacFarlane
Principal, Vauban Industries
[email-masked]

"Hey Bunky, didn't I already solve this problem 10 years ago with
VMS and Pathworks???"  ;-)

D.