Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk on RHL 5.1

From: "Craig Roberts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 17:08:37 +1300

Hi,
(This is my first post to this list.)

I am trying to get netatalk running on my RHL 5.1 (Intel) box.
I am not a developer, just want to use it for Mac/Win File/Print services.

I installed RH5.1 and that was working ok.
I downloaded netatalk1.4b2 as an rpm and did rpm -i <package> to install it.

Then I read the kernel HOWTO doc and did follwoing :
make config (setting DDP to "Y")
make dep; make clean
make zImage
make zlilo
.... and then rebooted.

Now, the problem I am having is that the server is there under the Chooser,
but when I try to connect from a Mac I get message : "No response from the
server. Please try again."
However, I can ping it, from it, use the internet and SaMBa appears to work as
I can connect from a Win95 machine (much to my surprise - ahead of schedule).

Questions I have as follows :-
There is _no_ /etc/atalk directory as mentioned in many docs. There are,
however, the following :-
/etc/atalkd.conf
/etc/rc.d/atalk.init
/usr/include/... - many files
/usr/lib/... - many files
/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/include/linux/atalk.h
/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/include/net/atalkcall.h
/usr/src/linux-2.0.34/net/appletalk/sysctl_net_atalk.c
..and a some docs, man pages...

Does this look right ?

I gather there are patches for netatalk1.4b2 that might fix this, but some of
them are refering to a sun's patches for AppleShareIP. Is this different ?

Can someone please help ?

-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o
Craig Roberts
Senior IT Consultant
College of Education, Christchurch, New Zealand.

"I want to see mountains again, Gandalf - mountains;
and then find somewhere where I can rest."
   Bilbo Baggins in Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien

---

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Oct 1998 09:27:06 +0300

> I downloaded netatalk1.4b2 as an rpm and did rpm -i <package> to install it.

You're not using the latest RPM release. Use netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0-3

-- 
Nietzsche is pietzsche, Goethe is murder. 
Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>

---

From: Ethan Benatan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 09:02:05 -0400 (EDT)

>>> "Craig" == Craig Roberts <[email-masked]> writes:

 Craig> Hi, (This is my first post to this list.)

Mine too... someone asked something I *might* be able to help with, so
the wizards can take a break ;-)

 Craig> I am trying to get netatalk running on my RHL 5.1 (Intel) box.

It probably was not necessary to rebuild the kernel; RH5.1 comes with
AppleTalk support already compiled in.  But no harm done.  Actually it
sounds to me as if you have everything installed but simply didn't
*start* the service.  Try: "ps aux | grep atalkd"  and you should see a
line representing the atalkd process (you may also see a line with
"grep" in it- ignore that one, it's the command you just issued).

If you see the line, I'm wrong- let us know, and we'll try something
else.  If you don't see the line, you'll need to try starting the
service.  I'm using the asun version, so I am not sure if yours is set
up the same, but the installation left a file called rc.atalk in the
etc dir.

First step is to execute that file (you'll almost certainly need to be
root) manually- cd there and just "./rc.atalk".  Then try the grep and
if that works, the Chooser. 

If that works, you will want to make it startup automatically at boot
time.  I simply copied this file to /etc/rc.d/init.d/ (renaming it to
just atalk) and then used the Runlevel Editor to start it at Runlevel
3.  You can achieve exactly the same thing by copying it across and
then creating a soft link to it along these lines: "ln -s
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S90atalk /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk", which is pretty much
exactly what the Runlevel editor does.

One problem: rc scripts should properly talk an arg, "start" or
"stop", but the version of rc.atalk I got doesn't- it only knows how
to start the services, not stop them.  Oh well.  I'll fix this one
day, or find someone elses.

Hope this helps-

Ethan
_____________
Ethan Benatan       [email-masked]         http://www.pitt.edu/~ethan

---

From: Mark Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 08:42:02 -0500

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Ethan Benatan wrote:

> Try: "ps aux | grep atalkd"  and you should see a
> line representing the atalkd process 

Ethan:

Much of what you said was dead on (although I think that netatalk now
comes with a redhat style start/stop/restart script, although I'm not sure
since I created my own two years ago).  However, since he said that he can
see the box in the chooser, that means that the rc-script will have
started.  I *believe* that you won't see it in the chooser without atalkd
being up, and I'm next to sure that what you need to do is look for "afpd"
instead of "atalkd."  

The other thing you might want to do is look in the syslog.  Atalkd/afpd
are, at times, rather chatty in it, so you should be able to see some
informative messages - especially if you "tail -f /var/log/messages" when
you connect to the appletalk server.

Have fun,
--Mark Donnelly

---

From: Ethan Benatan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 09:44:31 -0400 (EDT)

oh dear.  Args wrong way around...

instead of "ln -s /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S90atalk /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk" try
"ln -s  /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S90atalk".  Sorry.

Ethan
_____________

---

From: Magnus Stenman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 10:28:11 +0200

> make config (setting DDP to "Y")

...into the old kernel.

RedHat 5.1 keeps it's kernels in /boot
stick vmlinuz and System.map there, rerun lilo and reboot

(make a backup of the old vmlinuz and an extra entry in lilo.conf, so
you can back out
if the kernel got compiled all wrong)

> ..and a some docs, man pages...

Yep.
Haven't noticed any /etc/atalk on my boxes

> them are refering to a sun's patches for AppleShareIP. Is this different ?

asun's patches add *lots* of functionality and fixes. recommended.

---

From: Chip Seraphine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 11:14:51 -0400

> You're not using the latest RPM release. Use netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0-3

Where did you find this?  The latest asun I can find is
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2.tar.gz at u.washington.   (On my RHL5.1 box,
I have the exact same problem Craig has-- and am eager to try and fix it!)

> Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>

Cute!

Thanks, and sorry if this was a FAQ....

 -Chip

*~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~Cogito, Ergo Utor Macintosh~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-*
|  UCF, The University of  | Hanlon's Razor:                         |
|   Central Florida: The   |   Never attribute to malice that which  |
| Zima of Higher Education |   is adequately explained by stupidity. |
*-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~*