Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and volume size calculations...

From: Typeline Webmaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 16:28:57 -0500

I've been posting to this list during the past couple of weeks about a
nagging problem with respect to afpd calculating and sending volume size
info
to the Macintosh that's greater than 2 gigs in size.

A few of the responses I've received point to the fact that previous
incarnations
of the Mac OS couldn't mount large volumes. While this is true with
early versions
of System 7, 7.5.3 through 8 have no trouble mounting larger volumes 2
gigs and over.

We're running Power Mac's on our network running 7.5.3 to 8.1. We're
also running
a Novell AFP server that lets us mount over 4 gigs on each Mac. So the
problem
isn't in the current releases of the Mac client OS's. It's Netatalk.

After looking at the Netatalk source (volume.c, unix.c and
afpd-bfree.diff, the latest patch) it's clear the server can't mount
anything larger than 2147483647 bytes (0x7fffffff). This and a possible
case of integer overflow in volume.c seem
to be putting a ceiling on volume size.

Has anybody hacked or fixed this code so bigger volumes can be mounted?
This is very
frustrating...

Bob Badaracco