Subject: [netatalk-admins] access to atalkserver...

From: "Achim Gosse" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 15:09:01 +0200

hi,

I want to limit the access to our atalk/sun server to the local class c net,
like samba does
(for example 194.111.111.0/255.255.255.0).

How can I do this?

Achim

Achim Gosse  mailto:[email-masked]
n.a.s.a.2.0 GmbH     http://www.nasa20.com
Borselhof   Borselstr. 16c   22765 Hamburg
speak.+49.40.37681479  fax.+49.40.37681305
speak.+49.40.39888288  fax.+49.40.39888299 (ab 1.11.)

---

From: Mark Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 09:58:09 -0500

> (for example 194.111.111.0/255.255.255.0).

Since you seem to be implying that you're using the Appleshare/IP server
from Adrian Sun anyway, compile it with tcpwrapper support, and configure
the tcpwrappers on your system to limit the access.  The files to deal
with for the tcpwrappers will be /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny; I'm
not sure where to get tcpwrappers if you don't have it already.  (Try
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ somewhere...probably under
system/security or somesuch)

If you're letting in connections over ethertalk (Traditional appletalk),
then I don't think there's a way to limit the connections (beyond the fact
that appletalk usually isn't routed beyond the local network).

Hope this helps,
--Mark Donnelly