Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: 2.2GB limit

From: Neil McAllister <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 11:58:47 -0700

The drive space limit is both a Mac problem and a netatalk problem.

Adrian Sun's patches to 1.4b2 include support for larger volumes, but you
need a recent version of the AppleShare client (I believe the one that
shipped with OS 7.6 or later is acceptable) to take advantage.

At any rate, the perceived "space limit" is illusory.  You will always be
able to copy whatever you want, and when your space really starts to
decrease below 2.2 GB (or whatever) the directory info will reflect that.

--
Neil McAllister, Systems Administrator
Primo Angeli Inc., San Francisco, CA, USA
http://www.primo.com  mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 12:27:06 -0700

Previously...
>The drive space limit is both a Mac problem and a netatalk problem.

You can also get the standalone patch for this (I'd recommend getting
dancing-icons while you're at it) problem for 1.4b2 from the netatalk
patches collection. Don't think there are any patches for 1.3.3.

>shipped with OS 7.6 or later is acceptable) to take advantage.

I think minimal config to have free-space fixed on the Mac client side
is 7.5.x + OT1.1.2 + ASClient 3.7. Naturally, all of these have
superseding versions currently available (8.1 + 1.3 + 3.8).

A brief note: this is in the FAQ-O-Matic (link to it from the umich
site's links collection).

Explanation: As I understand it, the free-space used to be stored as a
signed 32-bit long int, which is about 2 billion (2GB). Now you need
patches to both netatalk and the client OS to support the larger
(64bit?) integer, now that the protocol allows a larger data field.
_________
mike ([email-masked])
I am not a 32 year old woman
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson