Subject: [netatalk-admins]server unavailable?

From: "b. haviland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 11:23:58 -0400 (EDT)

help! 

i've got a combo of samba (1.9.18p4), netatalk (1.4b2) and freebsd 2.2.5
acting as a fileserver for about 50 workstations (about 3:1 PC to mac). 
after upgrading to 1.9.18p4 everthing has been fine for the PCs. however
the macs are having weird problems. i did install the one patch to make
netatalk work at all. and for a while everything seemed ok. but now, some
people can't connect at all until i've stopped and started netatalk, or if
they have successfully connected, then crash, they can't get back on. 
what's weirder is that if person A is unable to connect (the error is
something like "server is unavailable. try again later"), person B can try
and be successful.  ???  i can't say the mac problem happened at the
exactly same time as when i upgraded to samba 1.9.18p4, but it didn't
exist before, and now it does...

i've noticed that samba will occasionally give someone trying to connect
an error like "network is busy" but if i try 3,4,5 times in a row, it
eventually works.. the same kind of persistence does not work with
netatalk.
the macs are all running OS8 and just last night i installed the dancing 
icons/read-only problem patch, which seems to have solved those 2 probs, 
but not mine.

also, occasionally upon returning to my seat i'll see messages like
these on the console:

Apr 27 19:00:53 mymachine afpd[11609]: flushfork:dfile:Bad file descriptor
Apr 27 19:00:53 mymachine afpd[11609]: of_flush: Bad file descriptor
Apr 27 19:00:53 mymachine afpd[11609]: afp_closefork:ad_close:Bad file
descriptor

are these telling me what's wrong? if so i don't know what they're trying
to say..

help please,
beth

[email-masked]