Subject: [netatalk-admins] Shadow Passwords

From: STEVE <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 16:00:49 +1100

G'day,
My name is Steve Guest.
I hope this isn't too presumptuous emailing you direct.
I am a designer living in Melbourne Australia.
I have recently had a chap set up Linux on a PC  to serve my 3 Macs to
the Net.
Unfortunately I am only able to Log On as a Guest, because of the Shadow
Passwords.
I think linux is requiring Clear Text and the OS8 is doing something
different.

Wondering if you have any advice?

Sincerely

Steve Guest.

---

From: Georg Schwarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 08:54:58 +0200 (MEST)

> Wondering if you have any advice?

at least A. Sun's version can be configured to support shadow passwords.
I'm runing such a setup. And of course it works fine with OS8. This has
nothing to do with clear text. Passwords are always *transmitted* in plain
text with Netatalk.

-- 
Georg Schwarz                             [email-masked]
Institut für Theoretische Physik    Tel. +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universität Berlin          http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
Sekr. PN 7-1, Hardenbergstr. 36, D-10623 Berlin            IRC: kuroi

---

From: Jonathan Michael Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:11:40 -0500 (CDT)

> nothing to do with clear text. Passwords are always *transmitted* in plain

Not true.  Passwords can be configured to use randnum/rand2num encryption
if you apply the asun patches and have the DES libraries installed on your
system.  Read all about it in the README.ASUN file which comes with a
netatalk1.4b2+asun2.1.0.tar.gz distribution.

:)

Randnum is good :)

Jon

----
Jonathan Michael Hawkins {}  The main reason Santa is so jolly is
NUMB Altos 1996-????     {}  because he knows where all the bad 
OAS, AAS, LLS!           {}  girls live.   ;)
<mailto:[email-masked]> {}  <http://charlotte.acns.nwu.edu/spiritu>