Subject: [netatalk-admins] custom netatalk folder icon?

From: Mike Mansell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 15:57:33 -0500 (EST)

Anyone know where and how to put a custom folder icon in that appears
instead of the generic Mac network folder icon?  I would assume it has
something to do with some '.' file in the root dir being mounted???  Not
critical to the operation of my machines of course, but if someone's done
it, I'd be interested to know how.

Mike.

--
    /\     Michael G. Mansell, BSc. (SCS)  Office:  (416) 665-0767  x228
   /\ \    Engineering Support Services    clearNET:(416) 984-7839
  /\ \ \   DataVation Inc., Toronto        Fax:     (416) 665-8285
 /  \ \ \  WWW.DataVation.COM              Email:   [email-masked]

---

From: Mark Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 16:20:49 -0600

>it, I'd be interested to know how.

I don't know how to change the default, but on a disk-by-disk basis, you can
just copy a picture onto the clipboard of the Mac, find the folder in the
Finder, select Get Info from the File menu, click on the folder icon, and paste
the image there...it will resize and take care of everything.

--Mark
   "I think so Brain, but if they called them sad meals, then 
    no one would buy them."

---

From: David Perry <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 21:51:45 +0000 ()

Mike,

>From a mac, you can copy an icon to the clipboard, select the folder or 
volume you want to change, get info. Click on the icon in the get info 
window and paste. There is an attribute called USE CUSTOM ICON that has 
to be set from the mac. The icon is stored as an invisible file inside 
that folder.

Hope this helps.

David Perry

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Mike Mansell wrote:

> Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 15:57:33 -0500 (EST)
> From: Mike Mansell <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [netatalk-admins] custom netatalk folder icon?
>

---

From: Richard Mann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 09:37:40 -0600 (CST)

Is there a way to permanently switch the generic
	icon that is created, when a file with no resource
	fork is copied to a netatalk folder? 

	The attached method is ok for folders, since there are
	relatively few of them (though it would be nice to
	have a global way of changing them, too.) But it would
	be great to be able to set the generic file icon, 
	so that files copied to the netatalk volume will take
	on that icon.

     //\     --rich
    //  \    
   // /  \   Richard Mann -- Network Administrator
  // / /  \  P u b l i c a t i o n  S e r v i c e s,  I n c. 
  \\  / / /  Champaign, Illinois, USA 61821 (217) 398-2060 x22
   \\  / /   
    \\  /    
     \\/

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 00:36:28 +0000 (GMT)

The icons are defined in etc/afpd/desktop.c and icon.h.  desktop.c
contains the 'demon' icon and icon.h contains the various generic volume
icons.  

I'm not sure exactly what format they are in, but bear in mind that if you
look at an icon resource in ResEdit there is normally a small and large
version of an icon at each of three colour depths (1 bit, 4bit, 8bit).
There is also a transparency mask at both sizes which IIRR is common to
all the colour depths.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594

---

From: Andrew McNabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:38:45 -0600

Perhaps a sun would be able to add support for external storage
(post-compilation) of default icons?  I think that it would be a good
feature. 

> > 	so that files copied to the netatalk volume will take

----------------------------------------------
                Andrew McNabb
             Argus Systems Group
          [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------
  I am an International Arms Trafficker!!!!!
http://online.offshore.com.ai/arms-trafficker/
----------------------------------------------