Subject: [netatalk-admins] RH5.1/Intel working version?

From: "Craig Roberts" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 12:09:48 +1300

>Link to working RPM:
>
>ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/hurricane/i386/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2
>-phh4.i386.rpm
I'm using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0-5.i386.rpm - forget where I got it from
right this mo'. From version number i would have thought that 2.1.0 was the
more recent.

To all (or anyone) using RH5.1/Intel : which rpm are you using? Does it work
properly for Mac login (which OS, etc.) ?

To all : wouldn everyone agree that umich is the "official" home page for
netatalk. Cos we could ask them very nicely to maintain links to all useful
info, which at the mo is difficult to conceptualise.

PS. anyone out there using netatalk with mkLinux v3? I just got it and was
disappointed netatalk wasn't shipped with it. What version are you using and
where can i get it?

Regards

-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o-+-x-o
Craig Roberts
Senior IT Consultant
College of Education, Christchurch, New Zealand.

"I want to see mountains again, Gandalf - mountains;
and then find somewhere where I can rest."
   Bilbo Baggins in Lord of the Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien

---

From: Douglas Melniker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 19:58:06 -0400

ok, my problem is now this: when i try to log on to my machine form a mac,
it gives me the dialog box and let's me type a user and password. then it
IMMEDIATELY says that the connection has been unexpectedly broken.

this is what my /var/log/messages has to say about it:
	Oct 12 20:07:56 ccl atalkd[753]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.0)
	Oct 12 20:07:57 ccl atalkd[753]: zip gnireply from 208.140 (eth0 12)
	Oct 12 20:07:57 ccl atalkd[753]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
	Oct 12 20:07:58 ccl atalkd[753]: zip_packet configured eth0 from 208.140
	Oct 12 20:08:02 ccl atalkd[753]: rtmp_packet gateway 208.140 up
	Oct 12 20:08:26 ccl atalkd[753]: ready 0/0/0
	Oct 12 20:08:38 ccl papd[764]: restart (1.4b2+asun2.1.0)
	Oct 12 20:08:44 ccl afpd[773]: ASIP started on 130.64.208.6:548(1)
(1.4b2+asun2.1.0) 
	Oct 12 20:08:44 ccl afpd[773]: ccl:AFPServer@* started on 208.251:128
(1.4b2+asun2.1.0)
	Oct 12 20:08:54 ccl afpd[773]: server_child[1] 777 done
	Oct 12 20:08:58 ccl afpd[773]: server_child[1] 778 exited 1
	Oct 12 20:08:58 ccl afpd[778]: ASIP session:548(1) from 130.64.208.2:4758(2)
	Oct 12 20:09:19 ccl afpd[773]: shutting down on signal 15
	Oct 12 20:09:19 ccl atalkd[753]: done

i'd appreciate any help i can get. :-)

thanks,
doug melniker

-------------------------
Douglas Melniker
Systems Administrator
Center for Connected Learning & Computer-Based Modeling
Tufts University
http://www.ccl.tufts.edu

---

From: Chip Seraphine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 00:31:08 -0400

> IMMEDIATELY says that the connection has been unexpectedly broken.

I'm having the same problems Douglas and Craig are having (doubleclicking
the RHL5.1 box in the chooser gets a "server not responding", connecting
to the IP gets an immediate disconnect) with similar log entries.  I
wanted to add one tidbit which is probably useless but definately odd:

When using the chooser to connect to the specific IP, if you connect as a
known user (with or without the correct password), you get the
"connection to this server has been unexpectedly broken."  However, if
you enter an INVALID user id, the message is always "Sorry, the password
you have entered is incorrect."

Here's the relevant logs-- obviously something quite different was happening:

Invalid user name:
Oct 13 04:28:07 localhost afpd[17452]: server_child[1] 17494 done
Oct 13 04:28:10 localhost afpd[17495]: ASIP session:548(1) from
192.168.1.3:2084(2)
Oct 13 04:28:10 localhost afpd[17495]: 0.07KB read, 0.07KB written
Oct 13 04:28:10 localhost afpd[17452]: server_child[1] 17495 done

Valid user name:
Oct 13 04:28:13 localhost afpd[17496]: ASIP session:548(1) from
192.168.1.3:2085(2)
Oct 13 04:28:13 localhost afpd[17452]: server_child[1] 17496 exited 1

Maybe this will give somebody more knowledgeable than I some helpful hint?

 -Chip

*~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~Cogito, Ergo Utor Macintosh~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-*
|    UCF, The University of    | "The point to remember is that what |
|       Central Florida:       | what the government gives, it must  |
| The Zima of Higher Education | first take away."     -J.S. Coleman |
*-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~*

---

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Oct 1998 10:41:25 +0300

> IMMEDIATELY says that the connection has been unexpectedly broken.

Netatalk 1.4b2 is broken, busted, buggy, and so on. Patch it massively
or move to the Andrew Sun sourcetree (netatalk-1.4b2-asun)

-- 
Sevareid`s Law: The chief cause of problems is solutions.
Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>

---

From: Jonathan Benson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 12:49:58 +1000

> properly for Mac login (which OS, etc.) ?

I'm not using an RPM.  I'm using the pre-asun2.1.0-10a or something like that.

I see there is now a newer version so I'll have to get that and see what the
difference is.  Get it here:
ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/

Mac login?  I have Macs using it just fine with OS 7.6.1 and 8.1 if that's what
you mean.

Jonathan

PS  If you need help compiling it then let me know.  It isn't difficult at all.

--
Jonathan Benson B.Eng. (Soft Sys Hon) <[email-masked]>
Systems Administrator, Phoenix Magazines, Phone: +61 3 9696 7200
http://www.phoenixmags.com.au