Subject: [netatalk-admins] Uninterruptably sleeping processes

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 17:24:10 +0100 (BST)

I hope someone can help with this: 

If a Mac dies, and leaves a share hanging, it sometimes leaves an afpd
process hanging in the 'D' state... AFAIK I can't get rid of these any
way short of a reboot, and each one of these uninterruptable sleepers
appears to bump the load up by 1. 

Any ideas on how to:

a) get rid of the 'undead' processes
b) stop them from becoming undead in the first place

would be appreciated.

I think I know what the cause of the crashes is: a bletcherous kludge of
an excuse for an HTML editor, which shall remain nameless to stop the
creators of GoLive CyberStupid from suing me, but it has apparently wormed
its insidious way into various people's affections and I can't turf it
out...

-- 
If we all work together, we can totally disrupt the system.

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:44:10 -0700

What release of netatalk on what platform? There's a small fix for
1.4b2 and all derivatives for Solaris (on Solaris child afpd's may
exit with the EAGAIN signal, which netatalk doesn't know how to handle
w/o the patch). I heard a muttering here about a month ago about
similar behavior on FreeBSD.

Previously...
>b) stop them from becoming undead in the first place
_________
mike ([email-masked])
I will not show off
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 18:08:03 +0100 (BST)

> similar behavior on FreeBSD.

IT'S 1.4b2 running on a Linux 2.0.34 system, IIRC.... I can't check right
now - have to run...

-- 
Armed with the Law of Eristic Escalation and Fenderson's Amendment
[And Thudthwacker's Addendum] any imbecile (not just a sociologist)
can understand politics.