Subject: [netatalk-admins] Mac 2 Linux (LPRng) printing ?

From: "Jeffrey A. Chard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 09:30:35 -0600

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me clear the last hurdle in printing from a
Mac to a printer attached to an x86 machine running Linux.  I've
installed & configured NetaTalk.  The file sharing shows up correctly as
does my printer.  I can "choose" the printer just fine, and output gets
sent correctly.  It then seems to get stuck in the Linux spool
directory.  A couple of ?fA* files show up, one of which (named dfA*) is
very nice & proper PostScript which prints exactly as it should -- if I
manually lpr it.  I checked the system messages to find:

Jan 25 14:31:08 sal-ctr papd[171]: child 310 for "SAL Color" from
7712.237
Jan 25 14:31:09 sal-ctr papd[310]: lp_conn_unix connect /dev/printer: No
such file or directory
Jan 25 14:31:09 sal-ctr papd[310]: lp_print: lp_conn_unix: No such file
or directory
Jan 25 14:31:09 sal-ctr papd[171]: child 310 done

I tried the bright idea of linking /dev/printer to /dev/lp2, since
that's the correct output port and was disappointed (if not terribly
surprised) to find the following in the system messages log:

Jan 25 15:15:27 sal-ctr papd[171]: child 370 for "SAL Color" from
7712.237
Jan 25 15:15:28 sal-ctr papd[370]: lp_conn_unix connect /dev/printer:
Connection refused
Jan 25 15:15:28 sal-ctr papd[370]: lp_print: lp_conn_unix: Connection
refused
Jan 25 15:15:28 sal-ctr papd[171]: child 370 done

(independent of any permissions which happened to be set on /dev/lp2.)  

The Linux system is running Caldera OpenLinux Lite, kernel 2.0.29; the
lpr system is LPRng; NetaTalk is 1.4b2.  I did note in a HOW-TO
(http://artoo.hitchcock.org/~flowerpt/projects/linux-netatalk/ghostscript.html),
that you need to figure out where lpd is listening for connections, but
I'm not quite sure how to determine that information.  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated....  Thanks!

If, for whatever reason, the papd.conf is useful, it's:
SAL Color@Engr_ME:\
   :pr=sal_color:op=jac:pd=/usr/local/atalk/etc/EpsonStylusColor.PPD:
SAL Laser@Engr_ME:\
   :pr=me_sal:op=jac:pd=/usr/local/atalk/etc/LaserWriter_16_600.PPD:

<><><><><><><><>------Message from Jeff Chard------<><><><><><><><><><>
lab: 608-262-6582			 http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~chard
apt: 608-256-5997			      [email-masked]
<><><><><>-----knowledge is a journey, not a destination-----<><><><><>

---

From: Edan Idzerda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 10:47:50 -0500 (EST)

> Jan 25 14:31:09 sal-ctr papd[171]: child 310 done

The notes on printing on my web page will help you, even though the page
claims to be Solaris 2 specific.

    http://www.cec.mtu.edu/Doc/FAQ/netatalk.html

I use LPRng myself, too.

- edan

--
Edan Idzerda	<[email-masked]>
System Administrator --  Michigan Technological University, Houghton MI USA