Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: Login problems revisted (QUICK HACK FIX)

From: Brian Eric Bothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 13:51:24 -0500 (EST)

Well, after trying about everything I could think of to fix the random
login problems we were having from our G3, I figured out a quick fix:  I
kept trying until it successfully logged me in, and then made
desktop aliases to each share.  Clicking on the alias brings up a login
prompt that seems to work 100% of the time.  Weird...

-brian

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 22:25:45 +0200

> prompt that seems to work 100% of the time.  Weird...

Let me guess: in this case, removing the AppleTalk and AppleShare
preferences (well, don't actually remove them, for I might be wrong)
should make login work well again. Now I remember I had this too, with a
Pulsar (?) clone client against Helios' EtherShare on an Apple Network
Server, so I don't think it is netatalk specific, but a bug in Apple's
networking code. And 8.1 didn't seem to fix it for me.

Is anybody else seeing this?

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]

PS: You might want to try to reproduce the problem, trying to trace it
with afpd's -d option; this might give us a clue.