Subject: [netatalk-admins] slow connection

From: Oliver Grass <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 14:36:36 +0200 (CEST)

Hi folks,

i have a problem. I'm running a little network, with a windows95 machine,
a PowerMAC 9500 and a linux machine (P200, 32MB) as server...

This network runs since several months, and there appeared some serious
problems i don`t know how to solve them...

First, the problem with the non-ascii characters, as mentioned two or
three days before in another mail. So i hope, i will get some solutions
from there..

Second, when opening a winword-file from the MAC on the linux-machine, it
takes nearly one minute to open this file...
Doing the same with Windows95 is much faster. 

I know that the harddisk in the linux-machine is a slow one, but before
buying a fast SCSI-Drive i want to know if this is a common problem, that
the MAC is slower than the PC.
Is there a possibility to influence the speed of the connection from the
MAC???

Thanks in advance
Oliver
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Oliver Graß				       	                      |
| Freiheitsplatz 10     E-mail: [email-masked]           |
| 68199 Mannheim        WWW: http://webrum.uni-mannheim.de/math/grass |

---

From: Sak Wathanasin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 21:38:05 +0100

In reply to Oliver Grass's message of the 18/04/98 at 14:36 +0200,

> the MAC is slower than the PC.

Well, I don't know how fast your PC is, but I have a 9500/200 talking to a
netatalk 1.4b2+asun 18 server on a P200, 64 MB, Linux RH 5.0. I get about 1
Mbyte/sec doing Finder copies. Having a SCSI disk certainly makes a difference;
before I had the SCSI disk, I was only gettng about 700 kbytes/sec.

As for Word, I opened a 1.2 MB Word doc on the local disk and it took about 27
secs vs 30 if the doc was on the netatalk server. This is with Word 98 - sorry
I've already deleted Word 6 (and good riddance).

> takes nearly one minute to open this file...

Did you try opening the same doc from a local HD on the Mac? If you have
graphics or Win fonts in your doc, it can take significantly more time to open
the doc the very first time even if the doc was on your local disk. Eg that
same 1.2 M doc took about 45+ secs to open the first time; thereafter, it was
much faster.

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited
178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

Internet: [email-masked]
Phone: (+44) 1203 419996                    Fax: (+44) 1203 690690