Subject: [netatalk-admins] Login problems (again)

From: Brian Eric Bothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 13:17:49 -0500 (EST)

I am having one machine in our office (A G3 running MacOS 8.1) that all of
a sudden cannot login to our netatalk server.  No matter who I try to
login as, I get a "password incorrect" message.  *however* if I try and
specify an IP # directly from Chooser, the logins seem to work about 75%
of the time.  

The *only* thing that has changed is that I set up another Linux box
running netatalk, which has a new printer hooked up to it.  I cannot log
into THAT via netatalk no matter WHAT I do.  (From the G3.  Logins from
all other machines work fine)  I tried taking both netatalk servers
off-line, one at a time, to see if they were messing with each other but no 
luck. I am getting entries in /var/log/messages that indicate that the
login-request connection is being made, but no error messages that
indicate any login errors.
 
This is driving me batty.  Anyone else seen problems like this?  I was
having login problems from the G3 a while back, but they just went away
after a day or two!!   (I both love and hate problems that mysteriously
fix themselves!)  

-Brian

PS All our print job problems (which I posted about the other day) were
fixed once we hooked the printer directly up to out new netatalk server!
Yeah!!!