Subject: [netatalk-admins] Help Help :)

From: Jon Torrez <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 13:22:28 -0600 (CST)

I have a cdrom FULL of sounds / mp3s / pics / movies / avis
just full of good stuff... :)

Its an exported via smbfs to my linux box in /usr/local/shared/goods-cdrom
/usr/local/shared is a samba exported dir and a netatalk exported dir

I did this option with smbmount

smbmount //kitten/cdrom /usr/local/shared/sounds-cdrom/
-U jon -u 65534 -f 777 -d 777

For those who are not familiar with smb mount this means mount //kitten
(win95)(cdrom cdrom) /usr.... -User jon -uid (65534 in linux is nobody)
-file permiossions 777 (-rwxrwxrwx) -directory-persmiossoins (drwxrwxrwx)
but of course this is a cdrom the dirs get the right permiossions but the
files don't they get this:

-r-xr-xr-x   1 nobody   users       16144 Dec 12 01:11 MAIL7.WAV

this is right because you can't write to a cd ;)
here is what syslog puts out....

Mar 26 13:03:16 wwwebservers afpd[9232]: setfilparams: ad_open MAIL7.WAV:
 Permission denied
Mar 26 13:03:16 wwwebservers afpd[9232]: setfilparams: ad_open MEOW.WAV:
 Permission denied
Mar 26 13:03:16 wwwebservers afpd[9232]: setfilparams: ad_open NOTHING.WAV:
 Permission denied
Mar 26 13:03:17 wwwebservers afpd[9232]: setfilparams: ad_open OOHLALA.WAV:
 Permission denied
Mar 26 13:03:17 wwwebservers afpd[9232]: setfilparams: ad_open RIBBIT.WAV:
 Permission denied
Mar 26 13:03:17 wwwebservers afpd[9232]: setfilparams: ad_open SANCTU.WAV:
 Permission denied
Mar 26 13:03:18 wwwebservers afpd[9232]: setfilparams: ad_open SCHINDLE.MP3: 
 Permission denied
Mar 26 13:03:19 wwwebservers afpd[9232]: setfilparams: ad_open SOXMAS.MOV:
 Permission denied

Is there any more info that you guys need to help me out ?!?! :)

Later...

+--------
| Jon Torrez
| Systems Administrator - WWWebServers, Inc. 
| http://www.wwwebservers.com / [email-masked]
+----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Warren H. Chang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:55:12 -0500 (EST)

Hello Everyone,
	After reading through old emails and current problems as well as
looking at the netatalk faq-o-matic.. I still cant' get this to work. If
you could oblige, I would be very grateful.

Currently, we want to setup netatalk on our RedHat 5.0 machine so our Mac
network can share the unix folder instead of our current method of ftp'n
files over to that said folder.  I had originally installed the netatalk
1.4b2 RPM from the w3.rufus.org rpm depository and it installed fine. 
then even after I made sure appletalk was running (with insmod and lsmod)
I got the following errors on boot-up of the machine.

too many routes/iface

I know someone on this list had the same error, but according to him,
changing the numbers in the dpp.c file crashed his system a lot. So given
that this server is a rather important one, I would prefer a little more
careful solution if one exists.

upon every other attempt to startup netatalk, we get

Atalkd Child exit 1 

we're running redhat 5.0 with a 3com 3x904 card in it.  

our atalkd.conf file
eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 1000.100 -zone "our_name"

currently, i'm trying to compile the 1.3.3 version.

any help is appreciated.

Warren

---

From: Brian Bergstrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:39:54 -0600

>Hello Everyone,
[snip]
>currently, i'm trying to compile the 1.3.3 version.

Have you applied the RedHat 5 patch yet? There is something wrong
with the RPM binary that RedHat made, apply the patch and retry,
or download the latest asun source and compile it yourself.

ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/

Brian

Brian Bergstrand
Network Specialist - ACS
Northern Illinois University
815-753-8547
[email-masked]

---

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Mar 1998 10:36:20 +0300

> or download the latest asun source and compile it yourself.

There's an RPM in redhat's contrib directory named
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-oa1.???.rpm. This is the latest asun
source configured for RHL5. Contains one known problem, netatalk
syslog messages are logged under pam_pwdb name instead of netatalk,
but otherwise it works fine.

-- 
With clothes the new are best, with friends the old are best.
Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>