Subject: [netatalk-admins] unknown printer

From: Patrick Herzog <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 17:28:00 +0000

I have a strange problem which is probably caused by a simple mistake:

I would like to set up printing from Linux to an Apple Laserwriter via "lpr". I
have created an entry in /etc/printcap but Linux tells me: "lpr: apple: unknown
printer".

The weird thing is that I am able to print manually via:
cat testfile | /usr/local/atalk/etc/filters/ofpap

So it looks like the netatalk part is working but not the integration into
Linux.

The printcap entry looks like this:
apple:\
 :sd=/usr/spool/apple:\
 :lp=/dev/null:\
 :of=/usr/local/atalk/etc/filters/ofpap:\
 :sh:sf:

Of course, /usr/spool/apple exists and ofpap and psf are where they are supposed
to be.
When I try "lpr -Papple testfile", I get the message
"lpr: apple: unknown printer".

What did I wrong?

Patrick
--
Dr.-Ing. Patrick Herzog
-- Oberingenieur --
RWTH Aachen
Institut für Technische Elektronik
Sommerfeldstraße 24
D-52056 Aachen, Germany
http://www.ite.rwth-aachen.de

---

From: Jan Barte <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:34:51 +0200 (MET DST)

Patrick> I have a strange problem which is probably caused by a simple
Patrick> mistake: I would like to set up printing from Linux to an
Patrick> Apple Laserwriter via "lpr". I have created an entry in
Patrick> /etc/printcap but Linux tells me: "lpr: apple: unknown
Patrick> printer".

Patrick> The weird thing is that I am able to print manually via: cat
Patrick> testfile | /usr/local/atalk/etc/filters/ofpap

Patrick> So it looks like the netatalk part is working but not the
Patrick> integration into Linux.

Patrick> The printcap entry looks like this: apple:\
Patrick> :sd=/usr/spool/apple:\ :lp=/dev/null:\
Patrick> :of=/usr/local/atalk/etc/filters/ofpap:\ :sh:sf:

Patrick> Of course, /usr/spool/apple exists and ofpap and psf are
Patrick> where they are supposed to be.  When I try "lpr -Papple
Patrick> testfile", I get the message "lpr: apple: unknown printer".

Patrick> What did I wrong?

You should use the if (InputFilter) for the communication with
the printer. Read the manuals of your print spooler software.

The of (OutputFilter) is for banner printing or accounting, not for
sending the print file to the printer.

Maybe the lines following the printer name (apple) have to be inserted by 
a TAB. Read the spooler documentation!

Ciao Jan