Subject: [netatalk-admins] slow transfer with if directory is large

From: Danny Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 21:49:57 +0200 (DST)

We are processing large files located on a mac and parsing them into
smaller files that are written to the hard disk on a linux netatalk
server.  The transfer seems to be excessively slow and seems to worsen
as more files are added to the directory.  It has taken 3 hours to
transfer about 30 MB which corresponds to 2500 separate files.  The
computers are on the same network about 10 feet from each other.  When
we do 'top' on linux, afpd is using as much cpu as it can get and is
getting about 1/3 from a 300 MH pentium II.  Is this expected
behavior?  Why is it so slow?  Are there any solutions?  Thanks.

-- 
Danny Rice

---

From: Roger Buck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:28:40 +0000

> behavior?  Why is it so slow?  Are there any solutions?  Thanks.

Take a look in syslog (/var/log/messages).. probably a rights problem
with one of the AppleDesktop or related folders - If in doubt, simply
delete them (AppleDesktop folder etc)and let Atalk re-create them itself
from scratch.

Hopefully someone else will provide more precise information but the
above worked for me ;^)

R.