Subject: [netatalk-admins] Newbie questions

From: SEBESTYEN Zoltan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 13:30:06 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

 I've just installed FreeBSD2.2.2/netatalk-1.4.2b in replacement of an
NT4.0 as a Mac fileserver. Now it works fine, but I've got to set it up as
a spooler of a Crossfield imagesetter and an AppleLaserWriter. I've
already got the ppd files and started to write the atalkd.conf file, but
into some problems. The imagesetter and the printer are on the network and
they communicate with the Macs and PC(not yet) via AppleTalk. So I must
make up somehow their 'address'. I'm a newbie to the Mac world so please
tell me how to find out their 'address' if that's what is required. 
The only thing I know that the machines are in one zone called 'alma'
(stands for 'apple') and the 'range' is 0-254.
 The next question is about the AppleVolumes files. What's the real
difference between the AppleVolumes.system, AppleVolumes.default and the
users' $HOME/AppleVolumes files?
 I created an account on FBSD especially for the the Macs to get the
shared disk space of the PC. At first I didn't gave it password, because
in this local network noone had password, they don't want to bother with
it. But I couldn't log from the Macs(so they could have 'mounted' the
shared disks) in until I gave some password to the account. Why is it so?
It's FreeBSD who refused the logins or netatalk?

		THanks in advance,

				Zoltan Sebestyen

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 00:34:16 +0100

Hi Zoltan,

SEBESTYEN Zoltan wrote:
> a spooler of a Crossfield imagesetter and an AppleLaserWriter.
[...]

AppleTalk objects register themselves on the network, so You can
reference them by name and don't need their address.

atalkd.conf configures the AppleTalk routing daemon, and has nothing
more to do with printing. You don't really need a network range this
wide for a zone; if You pick one network number (like range 123-123),
that can accomodate ~250 nodes on the network, which should be
sufficient in most cases.

The Appletalk printing (unsing Your FreeBSD box) can be done like this:

Macintosh -> papd -> lpd -> pap -> LaserWriter, where papd, lpd and pap
are in the FreeBSD box. Please man papd, man pap, and man lpd if needed.

If You really don't need authorization (passwords) on Your network, I
would recommend using the Guest facility; this way, users wouldn't even
have to enter a username to connect to Your server.

Feel free to mail me for more info.

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 23:47:34 +0000 (GMT)

> tell me how to find out their 'address' if that's what is required. 

AppleTalk addresses are allocated dynamicly. Therefore usually a device is
identified by it's name, type, and the zone it is in. This is often
expressed as name:type@zone

> users' $HOME/AppleVolumes files?

AppleVolumes.System gives settings that apply to all users.

~~/.AppleVolumes gives settings for one user only, additional to those in
AppleVolumes.System.

AppleVolumes.default gives settings that apply to all users who don't have
~~/.AppleVolumes. They are in addition to those in AppleVolumes.System. 

> It's FreeBSD who refused the logins or netatalk?

Who don't you simply use guest login? 

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594