Subject: [netatalk-admins] Bad/random multicast addresses

From: Michael Zuelsdorff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 22:48:29 +0100 (MET)

I could not live any longer with those bad
multicast addresses provided by atalkd and did a:

*** zip.c.org	Wed Nov 11 21:53:01 1998
--- zip.c	Wed Nov 11 21:55:13 1998
***************
*** 554,559 ****
--- 554,560 ----
  	      syslog(LOG_ERR, "zip_packet: zone_bcast");
  	      return -1;
  	    }
+ 	    bcopy( zt->zt_bcast, data, 6 );
  	    data += 6;
  
  	    /*

  _~_  (?)
 (o o)'
-- V -^ -----------------------------------------------------------------------
   .  N  .                             (!)              Michael   Zuelsdorff
    \ i /           I don't like LINUX -  ' ^ ^         Gruene  Riede  5    
  '. \u/ .'              I love it         (o o)        31311  Dollbergen   
    '>X<'                                  / v \        +49 517-792-2113
--- " L " --------------------------------//8'8\\------ [email-masked] --

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:16:42 -0500

> From:    Michael Zuelsdorff <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> multicast addresses provided by atalkd and did a:

Ok.  What code is this?  It certainly bears no resemblance to any UMich
netatalk.

:wes

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:33:02 +1000

Maybe this is a "stupid" answered-in-a-FAQ question... but with 2.1.0a and 
8.5 (3.8.1 ASIP clients).... does anyone else get "file doesn't exist" errors 
when trying to manipulate *any* filenames with 8-bit ASCII (say, with µ 
(greek letter mu) in them) -- the finder oddly displays most of them 
correctly. But any attempt to move/delete/etc -- fails with a very scary kind 
of file not there message [scary in the sense it's a plain modal dialogue box 
which looks like an error the Finder was NOT expecting to receive].  
Permissions are *FINE* on the files in question.  In fact, it's in the 
owner's share, on files the owner copied.

So....  do I need a magic 8-bit filename flag to be enabled?  Or am I hosed 
here?   It's a major pain in the butt, between unix shells being very hostile 
to any filenames with spaces and magic characters in them, and netatalk not 
letting me at the files... etc. OY!

=R=

---

From: Nicholas Riley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:36:24 -0500

> 8.5 (3.8.1 ASIP clients).... does anyone else get "file doesn't

Yes... it displays fine, it is manipulated very badly. I'm guessing
this is because netatalk encodes the character into colon-notation
(e.g. :b5 for a mu) and when confronted with the real 8-bit character,
afpd backward-translates and comes up with no file. (An easy way to
see this - make an alias of the errant file on the Mac; the operation
will fail, but take a look at the filename). I guess the best solution
would be a switch that turns off the colon-characters and just uses
straight 8-bit characters when the Mac sends them.

> So....  do I need a magic 8-bit filename flag to be enabled?  Or am
> I hosed here?  It's a major pain in the butt, between unix shells
> being very hostile to any filenames with spaces and magic characters
> in them, and netatalk not letting me at the files... etc. OY!

Hm. I don't have any trouble manipulating files named with 8-bit
characters with zsh, which is what I use. I just tried it with bash
and tcsh and they seemed much less friendly (didn't seem to let me
tab-complete a file like that, for example, if there was a file with a
similar name).

-- 
Nicholas Riley <[email-masked]>

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:53:54 -0800 (PST)

it's mine. i inadvertantly forgot to copy the multicast address back
out when i went through and centralized some of the zone broadcast
stuff.

-a

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 17:09:46 -0800 (PST)

So....  do I need a magic 8-bit filename flag to be enabled?  Or
     am I hosed here?  It's a major pain in the butt, between unix
     shells being very hostile to any filenames with spaces and magic
     characters in them, and netatalk not letting me at the
     files... etc. OY!

umm, don't do that. you'll confuse the unix<->mac translation code. if
you want to create funky-lettered stuff, do it on the mac side. it
will get translated appropriately. here's what's happening:
     1) unix -> mac. name doesn't get translated, so you see your
        funky characters.

     2) mac -> unix. it sees that it has a funky character and
        maps it to its 7-bit representation. uh oh, that file doesn't
        really exist. poof. 

fyi, you can exploit this to get two files with identical names on the
mac side and different names on the unix side. in any case, if you
want to rename/move things on the unix side, just use ^V and
copy-and-paste the characters in question. you can also do a rm/mv -i
type thing as well.

-a

---

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Nov 1998 11:25:26 +0200

> will get translated appropriately. here's what's happening:

What is happening with getting Samba and Netatalk filename mappings
synchronised? They really should work the same in this
respect. Besides, there's no real reason why Netatalk should convert
file names to 7 bit characters for Unix storage, since Unix
filesystems are perfectly capable of using the full 8 bit character
set space (minus the nul byte) in file names.

Decent shells are easy to configure to pass 8 bit characters, too.

-- 
Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.
Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>

---

From: Neil McAllister <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 10:05:25 -0800

> Besides, there's no real reason why Netatalk should convert

Yeah, but how do you key in a Mac bullet character (Option-8) on a Unix
keyboard?  And since the character code for Unix will map to a different
character than the same code on the Mac, how do you know if you've made any
typos?

--
Neil McAllister, Systems Administrator
Primo Angeli Inc., San Francisco, CA, USA
http://www.primo.com  mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: David Winkel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:31:24 -0500 (EST)

> character than the same code on the Mac, how do you know if you've made any

My favorite is...  How do you put a '/' in a unix filename?

 ~~~~
           [email-masked]               UofM/ITD Web Services
                      University of Michigan Webmaster

             Information Super Landfill?  I don't think it exists.

---

From: Vincent Lau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:01:09 -0500 (EST)

I'm currently using FreeBSD 2.2.7 and installed netatalk using the
sysinstall utility.  When I try to fire up atalkd, it gave me an error
message saying "protocol not supported."  But according to the FAQ,
anything above FreeBSD 2.2 supports netatalk.  What am I missing?  Thanks
in advance.

Vincent