Subject: [netatalk-admins] Documentation

From: "Robert J. Marinchick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 09:04:55 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to all who answered my request for netatalk documentation.

What I'm trying to do is set up my Solaris2.6 box as a print server, and
as an Apple share file translator. I have (I think) a working netatalk
module, and am trying to find out how to use it.

I followed the documentation included with the download file, but had
to make some changes to get a good compile & installation. The following
are the problems encountered and changes made.

 This is what I encountered with the netatalk-1.4b2 download on
Dec.19, 1997.

  Make problems encountered when trying to "make" netatalk-1.4b2.

1.      Initially, encountered #error "NO DATAMODEL_NATIVE specified" from
        'model.h'. --corrected by recompiling "gcc"--

2.      In 'ddptp_utls.c', encountered conflicting types for both
        "msgdsize" & "allocb". --corrected by commenting them out
                                in the "ddptp_utls.c" program and using
                                the 'stream.h' definations.

3.      In 'libatalk/nbp directory' encountered parse errors in the
        /gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.7.2.3/include/sys/byteorder.h
        module. --corrected by changing /usr/include/netdb.h to point to
        /usr/include/sys/byteorder.h.

4.      In 'nbp_util.c' encountered "structure has no member name 'S_un'.
        Reason -- variables s_net & s_node  were defined in member at_addr,
        and s_net was also #defined in /usr/include/netinet/in.h. 
        I decided to change the variables in member at_addr to ss_net &
        ss_node respectively. However, this change required similar changes
        to a number of modules in various directories. In retrospect, I
        should have #undefined s_net in the in.h header file. But, after
        making the changes to the various program source, the "make"
        did work. 

  'getzones' and 'nbplkup' work correctly, but when I try to test 'pap',
  I get the following error with the following command: .paprc is dfined
  
  /usr/local/atalk/bin/pap netatalk.html
  
  Trying 3072.132:158 ...
status: busy; source: APPLETALK
Connected to printer_l1:LaserWriter@AAL-West Grounds.
%%[ Error: syntaxerror; OffendingCommand: h ]%%
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
Connection closed.

Obviously, I'm missing something - like - how netatalk should work.

Thanks again for your suggestions and suggested readings.

Bob Marinchick
[email-masked]