Subject: [netatalk-admins] Mac Viruses

From: "Glenn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 08:39:24 +1000

Hi Ho all
Does anybody know if there is a linux based deamon I can run on my netatalk server that can do a hunt and destroy for virus type things on mac files, specifically the recent worms reported to be at large? If so has anyone had any luck making it inspect incoming mail?
Thanks all
Glenn

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 16:14:12 -0700

Previously...
>Hi Ho all
>Does anybody know if there is a linux based deamon I can run on my =
>netatalk server that can do a hunt and destroy for virus type things on =
>mac files, specifically the recent worms reported to be at large? If so =
>has anyone had any luck making it inspect incoming mail?
>Thanks all

I don't know of one in existence. Nor do I know of one that does
viruses, but for the original AutoStart worm, it shouldn't be too hard
to do something simple like:

# find / -name 'Desktop Print Folder'

on a regular basis. Once you know the indicating filename(s), it's
easy to look for. Increasing levels of complexity/elegance would be
fairly straightforward, I imagine... For example, a cron job calling a
perl script that reads your system & default AppleVolumes checks those
directories for all known Worm-ish names, then iterates over /home/*
would do the trick, no?
_________
mike ([email-masked])
I will not squeak chalk
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson