Subject: Re: Re: [netatalk-admins] Linux on G3

From: Harry Zink <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 00:49:21 -0800

>Of course, you could install linux on the G3 as well.  Maybe as 
>an external disk, that you could mount when you were doing the 
>testing of linux.  That would probably blow almost anything other
>than an alpha out of the water.

Hypothetically possible, but Linux on PPC does not yet have the stability 
and reliability of x86 Linux, and I need to show a 'real' solution, not 
an experimental condition in these benchmarks.

I'd love the combine a cool OS (Linux) with cool hardware (G3), but if at 
all, I can only do it 'off the record' - besides I believe Linux PPC does 
not support our Adaptec 3940UW SCSI controller, or the Asanté 10/100 
ethernet card yet...

Harry

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 15:09:42 +0100 (BST)

> not support our Adaptec 3940UW SCSI controller, or the Asanté 10/100 

I don't know about the asante card, but since the 3940 is supported on the
x86 it should also be supported under any platform. PCI is the same
whether it's on x86, alpha or PPC.

-- 
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594
Microsoft - because god hates us

---

From: Hannu Krosing <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 19:05:45 +0300

> whether it's on x86, alpha or PPC.

At least BeOS recognized Asante 10/100 as a DEC tulip (DEC 21041 or
smth) 
card, so that this could also be probably easily sopported.

Hannu