Subject: [netatalk-admins] Cant' seem to disable CR/LF tranlation..

From: David Welton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 12:29:52 -0800

Hi, I seem to be encountering a problem with the end of line character
translation.

I first noticed this when I used the server I have set up to transfer
some gif's from my boss.  He created them on his windoze box, then
placed them in a shared directory hosted by a Mac appletalk server.
>From there I moved them to my own netatalk server, clicking and
dragging with a mac...  At this point I went to open an image, and, lo
and behold, corruption!

I spent some time digging around in various docs, and examining the
files with vi, and noticed that it is translating ^M's into \n's.
This does not make the gifs look very pretty:->  So I went to change
AppleVolumes.system in /etc/netatalk, and I restarted the server
(first I tried hupping it twice, to no effect), after having edited it
to the following:

.         BINA    UNIX
# .       TEXT    UNIX

....
.gif   GIFf    JVWR

It is still doing the translation.. is there something I am missing?
I would rather it did no translation than having it do it badly and
screw things up.

Thanks for your time,     
-- 
David Welton                          http://www.efn.org/~davidw 

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org