Subject: [netatalk-admins] I think I know the answer, but ...

From: Carl Kreider <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:34:43 -0500 (EST)

I have a nagging feeling that this has been discussed but
can't find any evidence:

I find that (using 1.4b2+asun and ethernet) I can have either
server names in the chooser or serial printers, but not both
as I need appletalk enabled to get names in the chooser but
can't print to a serial printer on the printer port if appletalk
is enalbed.

Is this true?  Is there a work around (not a biggie for me
to enter a dotted quad server address, but for the real user
of the macs ...)?

-- 
Carl Kreider
 aka
  [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked]
============================================================
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.  But I have promises to keep,
and lines to code before I sleep. And lines to code before I sleep."
                                               Anonymous
============================================================

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:03:19 -0800

Previously...
>to enter a dotted quad server address, but for the real user

Back in the day you could use LaserWriter Bridge. Specifically
designed around the circumstances you describe, available freely from
Apple. I don't know if it remains compatible with recent MacOSes, nor
what the last version was. Last I used it was under 7.5.1, but it
worked real well.

But yeah, your assessment is pretty much dead-on.
_________
mike ([email-masked])
The principal's toupee is not a frisbee
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson

---

From: Yuji Shinozaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 09:54:24 -0500 (EST)

> can't print to a serial printer on the printer port if appletalk

You should be able to specify a *serial* printer and still have
Appletalk/Ethertalk active.  You you mean a *localtalk* printer?
In that case you might want to look at laserwriter bridge (although
I have never used it).

> to enter a dotted quad server address, but for the real user

If you are talking about having the users type in the server IP address
for an Appleshare IP server, remember that you can also use the IP name.
whopper.my.domain.com vs. 128.128.238.182 ( this is a made-up number BTW). 
Furthermore if you have the DNS Search Domains set up properly, you can
use the short name for a server.

E.g.  Suppose your netatalk server is whopper.my.domain.com.  If you have
TCP/IP set with my.domain.com as one of the search domains, a user need
only type in "whopper" as the server IP address.  With DNS aliases (also
known as CNAME entries) you can even give your server alternate names
(like "macserver1", "adminserver"  ...)  to make it easy for users to
remember...  just a suggestion. 

yuji
----
Yuji Shinozaki		        Systems Administrator
[email-masked]	        Dept of Physics and Astronomy
http://www.physics.unc.edu      Univ. of North Carolina - CH
(919)962-7214 (voice)           CB 3255 Philips Hall
(919)962-0480 (fax)	        Chapel Hill, NC  27599

---

From: Holger Dietze <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 18:34:39 +0100

> I have a nagging feeling that this has been discussed but
No idea.

> to enter a dotted quad server address, but for the real user
I think that is right. But why not direct AppleTalk to an other
port than the serial? For example to 'remote only' from ARA?

---

From: Andrew McNabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:25:21 -0600 (CST)

> what the last version was. Last I used it was under 7.5.1, but it

I currently use it under 8.1 without problems.

----------------------------------------------
                Andrew McNabb
             Argus Systems Group
          [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------