Subject: [netatalk-admins] holy jumping folders batman!

From: "Philip S. Wachtel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 13:00:58 -0500

Hey all,

I've run up against a strange problem.  I'm running netatalk 1.4b2 on a
RedHat 4.2 Linux machine running kernel 2.0.30.  The Macs are running OS 8.
 It's come to a point where my Mac users can't use their shared directories
(especially if there are a lot of files within) effectively because the
number of files keep changing every few seconds and the contents of the
folders jump around.  I looked through the archive from this list and
didn't come up with anything, so if anyone has any ideas, I would be very
grateful.  Thanks very much for your help.

Philip
[email-masked]

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 20:48:19 +0100

> grateful.  Thanks very much for your help.

Please try Adrian Sun's 'asun' patches, I posted the URL a few minutes
ago for. Alternatively, try the umich 'dancing icon' patches. The
netatalk home page is at http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk.

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]

---

From: Jonathan Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:40:06 +0000

>> I've run up against a strange problem.  I'm running netatalk 1.4b2 on a
snip
>netatalk home page is at http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk.

The Asun patches had no visible effect for me (Linux 2.0.27), and I
couldn't get the dancing icon patch file to work. It said that all the
hunks failed. I'm not a patch expert, but I tried most of the reasonable
looking options and hit the same barrier each time.

--------
Jon Peterson	[email-masked]	+44 (0)171 613 5300
Internet Developer

---

From: Jonathan Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:46:41 +0000

I looked into this a while ago and I got the impression that it was a well
known problem with no solution.

Bascially, If I stop all the various netatalk daemons (with killall, or
kill), and then try and start them again, I get the error:
Appletalk not up! Child exited with 1

I have to reboot the box to restart the daemons. Is there a known solution
to this?

I have Linux 2.0.27 and Netatalk-1.4b2asun18. 
--------
Jon Peterson	[email-masked]	+44 (0)171 613 5300
Internet Developer

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 12:17:37 +0000 (GMT)

> I have to reboot the box to restart the daemons. Is there a known solution

IIRC, if you compile the DDP stuff as a module, then you can
kill the daemons, rmmod the ddp stuff, insmod it again, and restart the
daemons. [I've never actually done this myself, but I'm told it works].

--
fsck -f -b 8193 /dev/cortex

---

From: Jonathan Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 13:16:42 +0000

At 01:09 PM 2/20/98 +0000, Alistair Riddell wrote:
>If you are having difficulty applying the patch then you could download
>the already-patched version from
>ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/pub/user-supported/asun/...
>...netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2.tar.gz

Ooops, I wasn't being very clear; the asun patch applied OK. It was the
afpd-macos8.diff patch from the netatalk home pages that wasn't working. It
only patches two files, (file.c and fork.c, I think) maybe someone could
send those two files to me?

Thanks,

--------

Test tube babies shouldn't throw stones.

---

From: Sak Wathanasin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 13:19:38 +0000

In reply to Vivek's message of the 20/02/98 at 12:17 +0000,

> daemons. [I've never actually done this myself, but I'm told it works].

I don't think you have to do that: either apply A Sun's linux kernel patches or
use a kernel more recent than 2.0.30. I run RH 5.0/2.0.32 here with
1.4b2/asun18.2 (and ATalk compiled into the kernel, not as a module) and I can
use the script in init.d to start and stop atalk at will. Ditto on the Solaris
2.5.1 machines at my clients.

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited
178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

Internet: [email-masked]
Phone: (+44) 1203 419996                    Fax: (+44) 1203 690690

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 13:09:21 +0000 (GMT)

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 13:25:54 +0000 (GMT)

I don't think that the afpd-macos8.diff patch is required if you use
Adrian's patch. The dancing icons problem was fixed in asun2.0a12 or
thereabouts. The afpd-macos8.diff patch is required only if you are using
vanilla netatalk-1.4b2.

---

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Feb 1998 18:34:16 +0200

> Appletalk not up! Child exited with 1

With Linux kernel Appletalk support compiled as a module, you can stop
the netatalk daemons, wait a couple of seconds, rmmod appletalk, and
restart the daemons. Or, if you're using kerneld and wait for a few
minutes, the module will be unloaded automatically.

The kernel appletalk code can not be stopped and then
restarted. However, when it is made into a module, it can be loaded
and unloaded at will (when not in use, that is), and the unloading
process will also clean up all the reentrancy problems. As far as
appletalk is concerned, the machine has been rebooted.

-- 
EVERYTHING NOT FORBIDDEN IS COMPULSORY.
Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>

---

From: David Foster <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:31:20 -0500

>daemons. [I've never actually done this myself, but I'm told it works].

I do this all the time, works great.  I've got /sbin/rmmod appletalk in
my init.d script, so it works correctly with the runlevel stuff as well.

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 13:06:02 +0000 (GMT)

Three solutions:
1: upgrade to kernel 2.0.33 which allows Appletalk interfaces to be
deleted
2: use appletalk as a module, and rmmod/insmod appletalk.
3: ifconfig down, ifconfig up each interface

---

From: Nicolai Langfeldt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 22:47:17 +0100

> Appletalk not up! Child exited with 1
...

I have found that with this stop section in my SysV style atalk rc script:

  stop)
        print -n 'Killing appletalk daemons: '
        rm -f /var/lock/subsys/atalk

        for p in atalkd afpd; do # papd timelord
                print -n "$p "
                killall $p 2>/dev/null
                sleep 1
        done
        print
        sleep 2

        print Removing appletalk kernel module
        rmmod appletalk

and running the stop procedure *twice* appletalk will be dead afterwards
and can be restarted.  It is only works when appletalk is a module.

Nicolai

---

From: Brian Bergstrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:12:29 -0600

>I have found that with this stop section in my SysV style atalk rc script:
[snip rc]
>and can be restarted.  It is only works when appletalk is a module.

There seems to be this consensus that having atalk in the kernel is a bad
thing, not true. If people would update to the latest kernel 2.0.33 (or
.32), recompile with the new kernel headers, they can stop and start atalk
to their hearts content. On my machine, the atalk daemon started with a pid
of around 80, it now has one in the 18,000's and is running fine. (I have
quit and restarted the server at least 5 times with never an error.)

Config:
Slak 3.4, kernel 2.0.33 w/atalk in kernel
32MB RAM
netatalk 1.4b2+asun18.2

Brian

Brian Bergstrand
Network Specialist - ACS
Northern Illinois University
815-753-8547
[email-masked]