Subject: [netatalk-admins] Can't print using lp command, but can using pap

From: Stephen Boulet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 20:16:54 -0600

I followed the instructions on setting up a printer using appletalk
found on http://www.giub.unibe.ch/~eugster/appleprint.html.

This is an apple laserwriter 4/600 ps connected over ethernet via a
farallon ethernet-to-localtalk adapter.

Executing this command:  ./pap -p "LaserWriter 4/600 PS" test.ps 
works fine. When I use the command: lpr -P lp filename, the file doesn't
print. 

Here is the output from /var/log/messages:

  Nov 14 20:10:15 tolstoy lpd[1867]: restarting lp
  Nov 14 20:10:15 tolstoy ofpap[1879]: starting for ?
  Nov 14 20:10:15 tolstoy ofpap[1879]: sending to pap[1880]
  Nov 14 20:10:15 tolstoy ofpap[1879]: straight text
  Nov 14 20:11:55 tolstoy lpd[1867]: lp: output filter died (1)

Any help much appreciated.

Stephen
-- 

Grayslake, IL, USA
spboulet at enteract dot com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 21:04:23 -0500

> From:     Stephen Boulet <[email-masked]>

>   Nov 14 20:11:55 tolstoy lpd[1867]: lp: output filter died (1)

Let's see your /etc/printcap, pls . . . 

Evan

---

From: Stephen Boulet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 15:46:07 -0600

> Let's see your /etc/printcap, pls . . .

I don't have a papd.conf, since this printer is on an ethernet via the
serial-to-ethernet adapter from Farallon, and my mac sees it fine
already.

  [root@tolstoy source]# cat /etc/printcap
  lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/laserwriter:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :pl#63:pw#85:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:sf\
        :lf=/usr/local/atalk/etc/lpd-errs:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/myif:\
        :of=/usr/local/atalk/etc/ofpap:

  [root@tolstoy stepheb]# cat /var/spool/lpd/laserwriter/.paprc
  LaserWriter 4/600 PS:LaserWriter 

Thanks.

Stephen
-- 

Grayslake, IL, USA

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 23:05:42 -0500

> To:      Netatalk mailing list <[email-masked]>

> :of=/usr/local/atalk/etc/ofpap:

So what's in /usr/local/atalk/etc/lpd-errs?

:wes

---

From: Stephen Boulet <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 16:08:12 -0600

> So what's in /usr/local/atalk/etc/lpd-errs?

Here:

  LaserWriter 4/600 PS:LaserWriter @*: NBP Lookup failed

-- 

Grayslake, IL, USA

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:02:47 -0800 (PST)

>   LaserWriter 4/600 PS:LaserWriter @*: NBP Lookup failed
                                    ^
Is that space really in the error message? If so, that's the problem.
Delete it, and things should be fine.

Take care,

Bill

---

From: Stephen Boulet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 17:07:43 -0600

> Delete it, and things should be fine.

I deleted the space; it appeared that was my first error. Good eye on
catching that.

The next error that was reported in lpd-errs was that the myif filter
called /usr/local/bin/linebreak, which I had not compiled and moved
there yet.

Now I have printing. A great thank you to everyone.

One more question: the command lpr <filename.ps> prints fine, but lpr -P
lp <filename.ps> prints out the postscript code. Should this be the
case?

Stephen
-- 

Grayslake, IL, USA