Subject: [netatalk-admins] Network Server 700 and netatalk...

From: Everette Gray Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 16:00:23 -0500

I am looking for a way to utilize an under used Network Server 700 for
filesharing with netatalk.
Now 2 options come to mind and be questions:
a) Does there exsist a version of Netatalk with will compile and run on AIX
4.1.4.1?  I remember that there used to exsist an AIX version but I see no
mention of it in the make files.
b) Given that MKLinux exsists and that the Network Server 700 is CHRP has
anyone set up a 700 with any flavor of Linux and netatalk?  I don't need
AFS or Kerberos (tho kerb V4 would be ok) just straight file sharing.
Any help would be appreciated!

Everette Gray Allen                               Consultant IV
Box 7109 NCState Campus                     Computing Services
Raleigh, NC 27695-7109                       919-515-2517

---

From: "Paul M. Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 16:07:53 -0600 (CST)

I did get CAP to compile on a 700/200, but netatalk didn't work. The box 
does come with appletalk libraries and header files, but I was unable to
find any docs on them. We ended up w/ uShare (crappy product) , my ideal 
solution (volunteers) would be to get netatalk to compile againts the
AIX appletalk libraries. (My time w/ the 700/200 will end soon so i'm not 
interested in the project) 

Paul

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 00:23:19 +0200

Paul M. Fleming wrote:
> AIX appletalk libraries.

Although this might only provide limited capabilities, but what about a
stripped, TCP/IP only netatalk. There were considerations on the list
before; has anyone actually started to do it?

As a side note, I would like to acquire AIX 4.1.5 for the Apple Network
Server, which - as I was told - contains ASIP support (needed for
uShare) in it's AppleTalk stack, which might make it easier to port the
ASIP supporting netatalk to this platform (again).

[Off-topic: People, if by any chance someone in the States has the
possibility to acquire AIX 4.1.5 (Apple part.no. 691-1423-A, costs
around $30 US) and DHL it to me to Hungary, please contact me. I am
unable to get it from my national Apple (or even from Apple Europe) for
three months now. Thank You.]

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]

---

From: Casey Bisson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 08:35:02 -0500

> before; has anyone actually started to do it?

As a non-programmer type, I'm curious what functionality could be preserved
without appletalk. The MacOS can be an IP-only AppleShare client, and IP printing
is now supported. What else was AppleTalk needed for?

Could an IP-only AppleTalk be ported to platforms that currently do not support
Netatlk, like DEC Unix?

TIA,

Casey Bisson
Information Technology
Plymouth State College

---

From: Andrew McNabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 12:39:55 -0500 (CDT)

This discussion has come up before.  The one other thing that appletalk is
useful for is for broadcasting.

> Could an IP-only AppleTalk be ported to platforms that currently do not support

----------------------------------------------
                Andrew McNabb
             Argus Systems Group
          [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------
  I am an International Arms Trafficker!!!!!
http://online.offshore.com.ai/arms-trafficker/
----------------------------------------------

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 09:33:41 -0700 (PDT)

> before; has anyone actually started to do it?

okay, here comes another faq type response. somebody archive it for
posterity. 

Q: what is an IP only appletalk?
A: you can carry appletalk over ip. however, this is not what is
   usually meant by the question. usually, somebody is actually
   interested in using appleshare over ip. this, in itself, does not
   need appletalk at all although it can use bits to register itself
   in the chooser.

Q: what's involved in making netatalk tcp/ip only?
A: the only part of netatalk that can be tcp/ip only is afpd. to do
   this and have it work on a particular machine, you need to do two
   things:
	1) rip out all of the appletalk specific stuff in afpd.
	2) munge netatalk/endian.h and etc/afpd/unix.c so that they
	   work on your machine.

   in my current, unavailable patch set, i've done #1 already. the
   addition of afp/tcp actually made the job easier by encapsulating
   the relevant bits. i'll probably encapsulate things a little more
   to reduce the number of ifdefs necessary. the libatalk Makefile
   needs to be changed to not build any of the appletalk stuff. to do
   #2 correctly, you really need to do a configure type thing. i'll
   probably stick in USE_BLAH_H type defines in and have people fiddle
   with them until they work..

Q: what do i lose by going to tcp/ip only?  
A: tcp/ip based networks don't advertise services. as a result,
   you'll need to know the server/printer to which you want to
   connect. 

-a

---

From: Casey Bisson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 12:59:22 -0500

> three months now. Thank You.]

I didn't find it on my most recent pricelist, I'm guessing that it could only be
gotten from a remarketer?

Casey Bisson
Information Technology
Plymouth State College

---

From: Mike Mansell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 16:35:34 -0400 (EDT)

Anyone know of an ethernet sniffer that can handle packets other than IP? 
- We're currently using snoop but its not enough.  

Preferably, it would run on Solaris or Linux so that we can see exactly
what's being sent out by our embedded AFP server (under development).  We
think that the structures aren't being properly aligned so bad packets are
being sent out to the ethernet. 

Thanks,
	Mike.

--
    /\     Michael G. Mansell, BSc. (SCS)  Office:  (416) 665-0767  x228
   /\ \    Engineering Support Services    clearNET:(416) 984-7839
  /\ \ \   DataVation Inc., Toronto        Fax:     (416) 665-8285
 /  \ \ \  WWW.DataVation.COM              Email:   [email-masked]

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 00:35:08 +0200

Casey,

Thank You for Your efforts.

> gotten from a remarketer?

'Your nearest Apple representative' should be able to tell the
difference, mine said (looking at the '6' in the part number), that it
is some kind of 'service' package vs. others being 'public' ones. All
the aspects of this should be, that I would not be able to get it
neither in Hungary nor Europe, but only in the States. It is I think
also a relatively recent item, let's say 6 weeks old (I had to spend 45
minutes on the phone overseas to get the part number).

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]

PS: Sorry for cluttering up the list. Please respond privately if You
can.