Subject: [netatalk-admins] toner low errors

From: Darren Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 00:57:01 GMT

I'm using netatalk 1.4b2 under Debian Linux 2.0.  I'm trying to print
to a variety of LaserJet and LaserWriter printers using psf and pap.

My problem is that if the toner is low on a HP LaserJet then the
status according to pap is "Printer Error: toner is low" and pap just
hangs.  However, I'd like things to keep printing since you can
typically get another 100 pages from the toner cartridge before the
quality gets too bad.

Is this a problem with HP's PAP implementation on their LaserJets?
I've seen it happen on LaserJet 4's and 5's.  Is there a workaround
for pap?  I've tried hacking the source to ignore the error, but
without much luck.

Thanks for any assistance.

Darren Atkinson
Department of Computer Science and Engineering
University of California San Diego

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 09:56:13 -0400

> From:    Darren Atkinson <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> typically get another 100 pages from the toner cartridge before the

Normally, pap doesn't pay any attention to the status of the printer.
It just records whatever the string is and keeps going.  However, if
you're trying to implement charging, psf can call pap with the "-w"
flags, which means wait for the printer's status to include the string
"waiting".  As far as I know, this only works with HP 4 and 5si
printers.  It's designed to circumvent the printer's internal spooling
logic.

So, one possible explanation for the problem you see is: once the toner
is low, the status will never become "waiting", hence, pap will wait
forever.  Of course, it could also be a problem with HP's PAP
implementation.

:wes