Subject: [netatalk-admins] Corruption of files on server

From: Mitch McNeel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 13:19:10 -0800

Hi all admin.'s,

        I receive this message from the user community
yesterday and was wondering if their is a virus protection
option with netatalk? or would this be a Netatalk issue?

Thanks in advance
Mitch

>From Catalog,
We in Catalog and Creative Services Departments have been
encountering an unusual amount of file corruption over the
last 3 days.  In some cases an attempt to open a QuarkXpress
document will result in nothing more than an I/O error that
cites a Read/Write problem.  Other times a file will cause
QuarkXpress to quit or the entire system to freeze up.  This
is occurring at the file level and can be reproduced on any
workstation trying to open it.  Additionally, there does not
seem to be a particular workstation that is a point of
origin for the problem.

In an attempt to rectify the problems, several of us have
run Worm Food and found know worms on both the Catalog and
Creative Volumes.  These are removed by the program, but
return within a few minutes.  I suspect that until all of
the workstations are logged off of the Server, and the
workstations and the Server are both "Dewormed", we will
continue to pass this pest around.

I don't know whether or not the presence of this virus is
related to the file corruption problems, but I think
eradicating it might be a good first step toward solving the
problem.  I am attaching a screen shot of the Worm Food log
from my machine.  If you more detailed information, please
call me.

Thank you
Glen Schuler

Catalog Department.

---

From: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 13:44:39 -0800

> option with netatalk? or would this be a Netatalk issue?

I don't know if your file corruption is related to the Autostart worms
-- actually I doubt it -- but your user is right, all the Macs should be
disconnected from the server you're trying to clean.

The autostart worms will show up as planly visible files on the UNIX
side of a netatalk server.  They can be deleted normally (providing of
course you know which one is which).

Of course disk corruption could be a culprit too... time to fsck the
volume maybe?

Marc
-- 
Marc Matteo
Web Engineer, The Sacramento Bee
http://www.sacbee.com
"We're a newspaper, we don't actually own any bees."