Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: netatalk & samba co-op clarification

From: Sean Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 09:04:27 -0700

> I _think_ I have it all running fine.. What is wrong?

I asumed that problems could ocur for the mac if somone from the PC side
deletes or moves a file because samba does not update the .AppleDouble
dir.  Is this not true?  If not then what exactly _IS_ the function of
the AppleDouble?

---------------------------
>      Sean Murphy        <
>                         <
>   Lightbulb Graphics    <
>                         <
>  [email-masked]   <
> [email-masked] <
---------------------------

---

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:47:10 +0200

Problems will occur if a pc user moves a file, as you say. Also, you
will get problems with the character set representations with the
vanilla netatalk.

The prevoius can be fixed by forbidding pc users to move files  ;-)
Sorry... I have no good idea... The problems will not be too bad with
data files; they will looses their finderinfo, but no data will be lost.
Worse with apps and files with useful resource info; it will be lost,
since they reside in the .AppleDouble dir.

/Palle