Subject: [netatalk-admins] Any caveats for Netatalk before going live ?

From: Tony Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 16:29:01 +0000

Hi, I'm about to let a new Linux/Netatalk1.4b2/Pentium100 loose on a
20-seat Mac Department
for Sales, Advertising and Graphics use..

Before I do so, I want to iron out as many possible glitches as I can..
going thru the netatalk-admins
digests, there seems to be quite a few little things thatd cause me grief
nonetheless from Users/Bosses - such as Chooser/Alias/Icon problems..

I was hoping possibly you could draw my attention to any other bugs or
freaky things that I should eradicate now or at least prepare for, that
youve encountered in the past.. one thing that really does concern me is
the corruption of graphics/MS/Filemaker files from Mac->Unix conversion..
I'd really appreciate any pointers on this..

Many thanks for your help,

Tony

__________________________________________________
Tony Moran			IT Manager
Ph:   (+353-1)-8303455		Scope Communications.
Fax: (+353-1)-8300888		http://www.infolive.ie
                                                        http://www.jobfinder.ie
      Ireland's online Jobs and IT resources Web Site - Check us out !
__________________________________________________
How to complain about Spam: http://weber.ucsd.edu/~pagre/spam.html

---

From: David Hamm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:11:06 -0500 (EST)

I have had a Linux-NetAtalk server running for over a year in our graphics
production department.  This department is a server intense bunch of people and
I consider it my least problematic server.  I've not seen the chooser or Icon
problems you talked about but I have seen the alias problem.  Being a
production house thought we seldom use aliases because we mostly move large
amounts of data on and off the server for processing.  The only software
problem we have is with an archival/tape backup product called Retrospect. 
Some times it gets confused and does not back up the server properly.  I'm not
convinced that this a server based problem though.

------         David Hamm - [email-masked]           --------

---

From: Sak Wathanasin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 21:49:38 +0000

In reply to David Hamm's message of the 16/01/98 at 09:11 -0500,

> convinced that this a server based problem though.

I've been backing up my netatalk server (Linux on 486) volumes nightly for well
over a year using Retrospect without any problems whatsoever. In that time
we've moved from netatalk 1.3.x to 1.4b2+asun patches. In the last couple of
weeks, I've also set up a netatalk server on Solaris for one of my clients and
am planning to also back this up with Retrospect. I will report back if I
encounter any problems.

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited
178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

Internet: [email-masked]
Phone: (+44) 1203 419996                    Fax: (+44) 1203 690690