Subject: [netatalk-admins] Lost files, it happened again

From: Memphisto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 09:40:47 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

 In my last letter, I wrote about losing files on a FreeBSD/netatalk
server which serves a couple of Macs in a graphic studio. The conclusion
was that it was the user's failure.
 Sad, but true that it happened again and I suspect that problem's
concerning Netatalk or the AppleTalk's handling policy of trash cans.
 Yesterday I've got a phone call from the owner of the studio who told m
that one artists reported that he lost all his work which were in one
subdirectory. When I got there I found out that those files were not
present on that disk(The server has four 6.2G disks and all of them are
shared via Netatalk.) and more strangely the trash can of that disk called
"Trash Can #2" was owned by the 'nobody' user and noone else have any
rights to that directory. Normally the artists log in from the Macs as
'laci' whose a plain user on FreeBSD but has the rights to operate on the
shared disks therefore all the files must have been owned by him.
 Then I was told that someone was scanning a picture and the scanned image
appeared right in the trash can.
 So I think there"s something wrong with these trash can.
My question's are:
 - How the Network Trash Folders work when there are more than one Mac
clients, is there a documentation about this topic, if not could anyone
please explain it to me? 
 - Is it normal that if someone removes a file then it appears in all
Mac's trash bin? (Sometimes one of the Mac's doesn't got the message and
not displays the 'Full Trash' icon.)
 - Is there a way to restrict the user's rights to empty the trash bin? I
mean it would be nice if only one user could empty them.
 - And again, is there a way to log the file operations of Netatalk?

				Thanks in advance

					Zoltán Sebestyén

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sebestyén Zoltán AKA Memphisto		It all seems so stupid,
					it makes me want to give up. 
[email-masked]		But why should I give up,
                                        when it all seems so stupid? 

MAKE INSTALL NOT WAR			And please avoid Necrosoft Widows