Subject: [netatalk-admins] No response from server problem

From: Sak Wathanasin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 21:37:18 +0000

I've been running netatalk 1.4b2+asun18 here for a while. All of a sudden, when
I try to log in to the netatalk server from my 9500 in the Chooser, I get a "No
response from server. Please try again." The weird thing is

1) connecting via ASIP still works (ie clicking on the "server IP address" and
entering the server's hostname works)
2) connecting to other AFP servers via AppleTalk still works
3) connecting to the netatalk server from other Macs via AFP works

In other words, I can connect to the netatalk server via IP but not AppleTalk.
I also can't auto-mount the netatlk server volumes on boot, although
(previously created) aliases to the netatalk volumes do work (via AppleTalk!).

I'm running 8.1, AShare client 3.7.4. I've tried 3.7.1 from 8.0 and I still get
the same problem. If I have time, I'll boot a backup copy of OS 8.0. I'm sure
this used to all work since I installed 8.1, but I couldn't swear to it.

(1) seems to suggest that the AFP side of netatalk isn't working, but then (3)
flatly contradicts this. (2) + the fact that old aliases work say that the AFP
client on my 9500 is OK. I'm confused...

Anyone else seen this?

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited
178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

Internet: [email-masked]
Phone: (+44) 1203 419996                    Fax: (+44) 1203 690690

---

From: Sak Wathanasin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 08:15:18 +0000

In reply to Sak Wathanasin's message of the 2/15/98 at 9:37 PM +0000,

> (previously created) aliases to the netatalk volumes do work (via AppleTalk!).

Ah, I was labouring under the delusion that I only got ASIP if I clicked on
"server IP address". However, on reading the AShare client notes, I see that it
will automatically use ASIP connections if the server supports it, and you have
to option-click to use AppleTalk. So I did that and indeed the netatalk server
responds via AppleTalk. It's beginning to make sense...

The question now is why double-clicking the server-name in the Chooser fails
with a "Server not responding error", but clicking on the "server IP address"
and typing in the name (NB not the IP number) works. There are no routers om
this network, and I can't see any errors in the various logs on the Linux box.

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited

Internet: [email-masked]