Subject: [netatalk-admins] resource fork problem

From: Steve J Chun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 98 11:00:27 EDT

Hi,

We've been running IPT's uShare product for Mac-UNIX connectivity for some
time now, mainly for serving AppleShare volumes from a Sparc 5.  I compiled
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0 for Solaris 2.5.1 and tried it out as a replacement
for uShare.

uShare stores resource fork info for files in a directory in a .rsrc
directory.  Netatalk stores it in .AppleDouble.  I've tried copying .rsrc
files into .AppleDouble files hoping netatalk would take advantage of the
resource fork info created under uShare.  This hasn't worked though.  Trying
to launch an application on a Mac gives a type -39 end of file error,
and ResEdit shows the application to have 0 bytes in the resource fork under
netatalk.

Any ideas on how to enable resource fork info created under uShare to be used
by netatalk?  Also, where to get details on Mac internals, e.g. resource
forks...

Thanks for the help,
Steve Chun

---

From: Neil McAllister <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 09:34:35 -0700

>by netatalk?  Also, where to get details on Mac internals, e.g. resource

Does uShare come with any Unix-based utilities to convert files to
MacBinary?  It would be tedious, but you could then MacBinary all your
files with the uShare utility, then run Megatron to extract them again into
netatalk's storage format.

--
Neil McAllister, Systems Administrator
Primo Angeli Inc., San Francisco, CA, USA
http://www.primo.com  mailto:[email-masked]