Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] question on mounting apple partitions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 98 15:23:15 PST

Original message sent on Fri, Apr 17  5:29 AM by [email-masked]
(Scott Wisniewski) :

> Red hat 5.0 has many problems, including errors in the glibc shared
> libraries, which every program that runs are linked with, I would suggest
> for any server wich one is dependant on to either use an earlier version
> of red hat or to use the slackware or the devian distributions. Both
> slackware and devian are stable and they install prety easy.

Specifically what problems?  I'm thrilled with my RH5 server, which has been up
for about 2 months.  We are totally dependent on the server, it does AppleShare
(netatalk) and NFS file services, and fairly intensive engineering application
services.  The apps were ported from an old system (ULTRIX) with almost no
changes, and everything seems to run perfectly.  I had to work on netatalk a
bit, but all those issues were in the netatalk code and not related to Linux or
glibc.  Also the server hasn't crashed.  Ever.  So far I'd give RH5 a 10 out of
10; is there somthing "lurking" that I'm going to find out about in an
unpleasant way?

Bob Smith
Hammett & Edison, Inc.
[email-masked]

---

From: Harry Zink <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 12:34:08 -0800

>is there somthing "lurking" that I'm going to find out about in an
>unpleasant way?

I'd be curious too if there are any hidden problems, but I think his 
problem is due to the fact that he runs 'raw' netatalk, and we are 
running asun's patches - which take care of many of the prior problems.

Harry