Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: Netatalk Routing Problem...

From: "Ken McCord" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 08:51:54 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
To: Ken McCord <[email-masked]>
Date: Wednesday, February 18, 1998 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Re: Netatalk Routing Problem...

>Hello Ken,
>
>Ken McCord wrote:
>> >> Having a problem routing with Netatalk 1.4b2..
>>
>> >> Network is configured as follows:
>>
>> >> Alpha zone (numbered 2-2) - DMZ zone (1-1) - Linux router - Beta zone
>> (3-3)
>>
>> >> Linux router ('scoobiedoo') is configured to route IP, IPX and
Appletalk
>> (IP
>> >> and IPX route with no problem).  Atalkd.conf is set to:
>>
>> >> To DMZ zone:   eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 1 -addr 1.72 -zone "DMZ"
>> >> To Beta zone:   eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 3 -addr 3.251 -zone "BETA"
>
>I've just got an idea: might You be using tulip cards and/or some Linux
>version before 2.0.33? To put it in other words: issue an nbplkup, and
>see, what the Linux machine can see on the network.
>
>Older tulip drivers had some problems with AppleTalk, which might
>materialize themselves in the machine not seeing other objects on the
>network, or not being able to respond to queries on the network, causing
>it not to appear in the chooser, or even spurious network malfunctions,
>as the one You are reporting.

I've got a pair of Linksys NE2000 clones in the machine.  Kernel version is
2.0.28/29 (whichever came with RH 4.2).  I can certainly try a newer
version.

>
>> Timbuktu Pro is a remote control/access program (like PC Anywhere) for
Macs
>> and PCs.  It works over IP, IPX and Appletalk.  Our Macs use it for file
>> transfers.  Our problem is that Macs in the Beta zone can see and control
>> Macs in the Alpha zone, but not vice versa.
>
>I suppose, You are using Appletalk with Timbuktu Pro. Is the problem
>present regarding convetional AppleShare activity?

>
>> We also have a MS Mail for Appletalk networks mail server in the Beta
zone.
>> Macs in the Alpha zone cannot connect to this machine to get their mail.
>> Problems also happen if the Mac is moved from the Alpha zone to the DMZ
>> zone.
>>
>> >>Macs on the Alpha network can see Macs on the DMZ zone, but not the
Beta
>> zone.
>>
>> > What kind of router is it between Alpha and DMZ?
>>
>> We have a pair of Farallon Netopia 440's between the DMZ and Alpha zone.
>> Appletalk is configured for these routers, and we've had Farallon check
the
>> configuration.
>
>So that should function correctly, and not be the cause.
>
>> > Not necessarily, since it has only one address on the network, which
>> happens to > be on the other interface.  This is normal and should not
cause
>> a problem, except > maybe, appearing on a different zone than You wanted.
>> After rereading Your       > previous sentences: Yes, it looks strange to
>> me, too.
>
>This is a bit late to say, but I am not as much an expert as I try to
>pose in the role. :-) So someone more knowledgeable should give the
>authoritative answer for the one above, if Your problems don't go away.
>
>> I'm going to try the older 1.3.3 version of Netatalk.  Maybe that will
make
>> a difference.
>
>I am afraid only in the wrong direction. Nevertheless, it might worth a
>try after making sure, that the driver for Your network card works
>properly.
>
>Sincerely,
>Andras Kadinger
>[email-masked]
>
>PS: I am sorry, but can't remember the exact version of netatalk You are
>using. I would recommend to upgrade to at least netatalk 1.4b2+asun18 -
>but I faintly remember You mentioning something already in that
>direction.

I've seen that version mentioned several times, but I haven't seen a
location where it can be retrieved from.  Can someone post a ftp location??

Thanks again,

Ken

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 20:40:54 +0100

> location where it can be retrieved from.  Can someone post a ftp location??

ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/ is what I have.

To Tony Moran and everyone interested: these patches are not
specifically for Sun machines; the author is Adrian Sun, I suppose, he
used his account name 'asun' to name the patch set.

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 21:00:46 +0100

While we are at it:

What does nbplkup tell You? Can other objects on the network be seen
from the Linux box?

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]