Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Printing from Macs

From: Jesse Swensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 05:30:39 -0500

Let's try again....

At 12:26 PM -0800 1/28/98, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>Also, why are you having the macs print to a printer queue which points to
>an Appletalk printer? Why not just have them print directly?

I have watched several threads that have hinted at the Macs printing
directly to the printer, but have not found specific instructions.  The
several Mini HOWTOs and FAQs I have read all have the linux box spooling
the print job and running it through ghostscript.  I have this type of
setup and it is running OK.  I do have problems every now and then with
postscript error and feel it would be better to let the DeskJet driver send
the print job rather than the LaserWriter driver.  Currently the PC can
print direct, so why not the Mac.

My set up is as follows:

Mac, PC, Linux.  All are on ethernet.
DeskJet 855c connected to the Linux box on the parallel port.

If there is a set of instruction that would be great...

Thanks,
Jesse

---

From: Dean Batten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 11:15:31 +0000

> >an Appletalk printer? Why not just have them print directly?

Evidently, because you *don't* have an Appletalk printer.

> print direct, so why not the Mac.

Because the printer is connected to the PC, not the Mac!

> DeskJet 855c connected to the Linux box on the parallel port.

If the printer is connected to the PC printer port, you must go through
the PC to get to it.

The references you have seen to printing directly to printers from Macs
assume that the printer is connected and communicating directly on a
network. In my case, my printer is an Ethernet-connected printer, and,
in many cases, AppleTalk is run on a lower speed "LocalTalk" network
using either Apple serial cables or phone wire.

Now, I suspect you really meant to ask: How can I have the Mac DeskJet
driver generate the file and spool through the Linux box without
filtering through ghostscript? This, I will leave to someone who has
done this...

-- 
Dean Batten .......... 927 N 5th St ......... Office/Fax 610/437-3516
[email-masked] ... Allentown, PA 18102 ........ Home 610/437-9959

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 09:26:08 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Jesse Swensen wrote:

> directly to the printer, but have not found specific instructions. 

For the direct connection I was talking about, you either have to have the
printer directly connected to the mac, or directly connected to the
network.
								      The
> DeskJet 855c connected to the Linux box on the parallel port.

Unless there's another port on the printer to which you could hook a mac,
the macs HAVE to print through the Linux box. It sounds like you have
things already set up right for that.

Take care,

Bill