Subject: [netatalk-admins] 1.4b2+OS8 / Trash Problem (even with asun patch)

From: Tan Chee Weei <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 12:26:57 +0900

Using vanilla 1.4b2 with Mac OS8 patch on Linux 2.0.34 (Slackware)

In another issue probably related to the Trash problem discussed earlier:

I am getting the following in /var/adm/debug

afpd[???]:setdirowner:chown -1/0 .AppleDouble/.Parent: Operation not permitted

I cannot understand why afpd is trying to set the directory's group to root (0).
All users belong to group "user" (100).  Of course root logins are not allowed.

On experimenting, it seems this happens when a user deletes a file or
folder to the trash for the first time in a session. The message shows up on
the creation of the .AppleDouble directory for Trash Can #2 in Network Trash Can.
The error can be duplicated.

Anyone experienced something similar? Is there something that I should be doing
to eliminate this?  Is this somewhat linked to the Trash creation problems?

Looking at how the Network Trash Can is utilised on a Mac serving with Personal
File Sharing, each subsequent user of a shared volume gets a new Trash Can #n
created when they dispose of items (all currently sharing the same volume) with
n >= 2.  This behaviour seems to be caused by requests from the client side and
not the server.  Hence, what is it in Netatalk that is preventing the correct
behaviour for the creation of these Trash Can #n ?  Is there some request from
the client, while trying to carry out these actions, that is denied by the
server which prevents it from proceeding correctly? 

I have tested out the latest asun patches as well and the problem exists on this
version as well.  I've since switched back as even though Appletalk over TCP is
much faster, an AFP error this morning resulting in a hung client, which
hasn't ever
occurred on the 1.4b2/OS8 version, has prompted such action.  Anyway, it
doesn't solve
the problems mentioned here. (Yes, it's all Beta/Alpha code, I understand)

By the way, all these problems and other issues would have been tackled by
an implementation of Appleshare on AUX in the past so there would
be some tried and tested solutions to some of the issues brought up in this
list?

Thanks.

CW