Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk over IP-Masqurade

From: "kazunori miura" <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Mar 98 11:56:08 +0000

Hello! ALL
I want to connect AppleShare IP through IP-Masqurade on Linux-Box.
Is it possible ? 
If I can connect over IP-Masqurade,how do I set up it?
I am using netatalk-1.4b2 and MacOS8.1.
regard,

-----------------------------
     kazunori miura zao-net 
       yamagata prefecture
-----------------------------

---

From: Carl Beaudry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 23:22:12 -0500

> I want to connect AppleShare IP through IP-Masqurade on Linux-Box.

Yes it is.  I do it almost every day.  And, conveniently, nothing
special is needed to make it happen.

All you need is to have IP Masquerading working with a defaul policy of
masquerading all traffic from your local network (by convention
192.168.1.X) and an AppleShare IP server somewhere to connect to. You
don't need netatalk to be running on the local Linux box that's doing
the masquerading, although there is no reason why it can't either.

The official IP-masquerading page is the place to go for IP Masqerade
setup advice (you can link to it from the HOWTO) but all you need is a
Mac running OS8 connected to the Linux box over ethernet (or whatever)
and it should work with no special preparation.

--Carl

---

From: Andrew McNabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 22:59:18 -0600

I have the same setup as you.  I've been running IP Masq for some time.  I
don't think I've ever tried to make a connection out, but from what I know
about IP Masq, it should work fine.  If AppleShare IP receives data from
the same port as it sends, then it will work.  If not, it is possible to
write an IP Masq module.

> I am using netatalk-1.4b2 and MacOS8.1.

----------------------------------------------
                Andrew McNabb
             Argus Systems Group
          [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------
  I am an International Arms Trafficker!!!!!
http://online.offshore.com.ai/arms-trafficker/
----------------------------------------------

---

From: Nico Lumma <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 20:13:36 +0200

Hi,

I am trying to install netatalk on a server which is located on a
university campus. I have a couple of problems doing so...:-(

1. How does Appletalk over IP work? Shouldn't the Appletalk get routed
through a firewall via TCP/IP? Well, it doesn't work...

2. How can we assign our own zone? We always show up in another zone...Is
there some sort of DNS for Appletalk where we have to get our numbers
assigned?

3. What's the deal with the asun patches? Even if we install that, the
TCP/IP thing does not work...

Thanks in advance,

Nico

"Even though Mac Users may be only 10% of the market, always remember that
we are the top 10%" 	- Douglas Adams

---

From: David Foster <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 15:14:35 -0500

At 01:13 PM 3/29/98 , Nico Lumma wrote:
>through a firewall via TCP/IP? 

The file protocol will get routed through the firewall (dependent, of
course, on firewall setup), but you won't be able to browse servers through
the firewall (browsing still depends on appletalk).

>Well, it doesn't work...

A tad more info might help here.

>there some sort of DNS for Appletalk where we have to get our numbers

In Appletalk, zones and net numbers are defined by seed routers.  It sounds
like you've got a seed router on the subnet someplace.  If you want to be
in a different existing zone, you can specify this in your atalkd.conf (or,
on the
mac in the appletalk control panel).  If you want to create a new zone,
you'll need to talk to whoever is administering the seed router for the
network.

>TCP/IP thing does not work...

The asun patches implement AppleShare/IP.  Netatalk classic is
appletalk-only.  So you need to apply the patches in order to get
appleshare/ip running.  In addition, you'll need a few lines in your
/etc/services file, and you'll need to be sure that you've got fairly
recent appleshare clients.  

What version of MacOS and what version of the appleshare client are you
using on the workstations?

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 23:00:47 +0100 (BST)

> through a firewall via TCP/IP? Well, it doesn't work...

Netatalk does not implement appletalk over IP. I don't think there are any
implementatinos that work under a current version of linux.

Note that asun's patches implement AFP (AppleShare) over TCP-IP which is
different from AppleTalk over TCP-IP.

> there some sort of DNS for Appletalk where we have to get our numbers

AppleTalk zones are defined through a seed router. Netatalk can act as a
seed router but if there is already a seed router on your network then you
cannot change the zone configuration for your subnet. You can appear in a
different zone which already exists on your subnet by telling afpd to
register in a different zone. See man afpd. 

> TCP/IP thing does not work...

Can you telnet from the Mac to the machine running netatalk?

-- 
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594
Microsoft - because god hates us

---

From: Robert Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 12:50:24 +1000

Alistair,

> different from AppleTalk over TCP-IP.

Depending upon your definition of "current", the Linux development kernels
from 2.1.80 (I think) upwards all support AppleTalk over IP (also known as
ipddp). I have had it running on a machine here using kernel version 2.1.85.

It also supports IP over AppleTalk (in case your Linux box is connected
to an AppleTalk only network, with an IP gateway somewhere on that network).
Of course, it doesn't support IP over AppleTalk at the same time as AppleTalk
over IP!

Cheers,

Bob Edwards,

Computer and Robotics Engineer,       e-mail: [email-masked]
Department of Engineering,            phone:  (+61) 2 6249 4090
Australian National University,       fax:    (+61) 2 6249 0506
Canberra, AUSTRALIA, 0200             mobile: (+61) 0416 166 761
      WWW: http://spigot.anu.edu.au/people/bob/home.html