Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: netatalk patch versions?

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 09:22:14 -0700 (PDT)

What's the difference between the netatalk patches: "asun2.0a18.2" and
   "asun2.1.0-7a"?

that's a pre-2.1.0 snapshot. i.e., i'm still adding and fixing things
in it. actually, in case people don't know, the latest snapshot should
do the following things over the last one:

       1) single interface zone routing (use the -router flag. it
          works just like the -seed flag except that it also works for
	  single interface machines)
	  
       2) nbpunrgstr should now work in a zoned environment
          correctly. i.e., unregistering "blah" unregisters "blah" in
          the default zone.

       3) afpd should now work with mac os 8.5. actually, i went
          through and upped the AFP2.0 compliance in general.

       4) using blah:AFPServer@zone in afpd.conf gets correctly
          translated to just "blah" in the chooser.
	  
       5) you can specify @group,user access permissions in
          AppleVolumes. NOTE: currently there's a little flag bit for
          appleII's that you have to put before the @group,user
          stuff. i plan to eventually make those bits unnecessary. if
          you're not interested in prodos support, just put a 0 before
          the @group,user parts for now.

try it out. if people don't complain this time, i'll probably really
turn it into a genuine asun2.1.0. at the very least, it should now
have enough features to deserve the name.

-a

---

From: Dave Makower <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 09:39:15 -0400

>turn it into a genuine asun2.1.0.

Any chance that this version (or a future one) will support adding default
types/creators that include spaces (such as 'ZIP ', which is very common)
in the AppleVolumes file?  I've asked about this before but never received
a response.  I can't imagine it would be very hard to introduce some kind
of encoding scheme to make this possible.

+-------------------+-----------------------+-------------------------+
|   Dave Makower    |   [email-masked]  |  Internet Technologist  |
+-------------------+-----------------------+-------------------------+
|     Co-author of "Java Programming Basics" (Henry Holt/MIS:Press)   |
|                 http://www.pencom.com/javabasics/                   |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|   Pencom Web Works               |   (212) 513-7777   voice         |
|   40 Fulton St.                  |   (212) 513-1014   fax           |
|   New York, NY  10038            |   http://www.pencom.com/         |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------------+

---

From: Rob Newberry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 11:35:12 -0500 (EST)

> of encoding scheme to make this possible.

You can already do this:

	.zip	"ZIP "	"ZIP "

should work.

---

From: Kadinger Andras <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 18:31:33 +0200 (CEST)

> of encoding scheme to make this possible.

Hmm, sprintf() comes to mind... slicing the string from the config file
around whitespace (just as is happens now I guess), and then sprintf-ing
the resulting strings e.g. into the 4-byte TYPE/CREATOR fields should make
escaping spaces or other characters easy.

Regards,
Andras