Subject: [netatalk-admins] HFS and Netatalk

From: "Mohamad ElGhouch"<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 98 11:27:11 -0700

I am having problems running HFS CD-ROM applications mounted on Mac from Linux. 
Applications don't run, it says application exited with error type 3 and
sometimes error type 1.  I tried three different CD-ROM apps: Wakcy Jacks (game
CD), Grolier, and Bookshelf 95.  I could try some more but I think I'll have the
same problem.  I hope if you can tell me if this is a known bug, if there is a
fix for it, or if I'm doing anything wrong.

Configuration:

Linux kernel 2.0.18
MacOS 7.5 & 8.0
Netatalk-1.4b2 and Netatalk-1.3.3
hfs_fs-0.95

I compiled, built, and installed Netatalk in their default configuration.  I
edited AppleVolume.system and added entry /mnt/cdrom <volume name> at top of
file.  AppleVolume.default left blank.  I built and installed hfs_fs driver
module.  I mounted the HFS CD using the command: mount -t hfs -o fork=netatalk
/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
The CD gets mounted fine on the Linux box and I could list files and directories
with no problems.  I modified /etc/services file and followed instructions on
how to run atalkd and afpd which started fine.  I go to the Mac client, I could
see my Linux box and I log in as a user.  I get two volumes to mount: the user
home directory and the HFS CD.  I mount the HFS CD and I get the proper icon on
the desktop.  I could open the CD and view files with proper icons.  I can read
and open text files on the CD but I can't launch the application on the CD it
sometimes gives error or the Mac completely hangs that it needs shutdown.  The
application seems like it started to run and then the error.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could shed some light and help me with this
matter.

Thanks,
-Mohamad.