Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 and Solaris 2.6

From: [email-masked] (Hanno Foest)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 02:40:16 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

I tried asun's 18.2 version of netatalk with the new kernel module (got it
from umich's n-971027 version). It seems to work quite fine, until I try to
shut it down and restart it again. atalkd doesn't start properly, the
startup script hangs, and I end up with some atalkd process which can't
be killed. Is this a known problem?

Hanno

---

From: Jonathan Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:01:27 +0000

>be killed. Is this a known problem?

There is a known problem with restarting netatalk on some systems (esp.
Linux). Basically it doesn't work unless the AppleTalk driver is restarted.
To do this you need to:

Reboot your system if AppleTalk is compiled into the kernel
or
Remove and then re-install the module if AppleTalk is compiled as a module.

Check the docs on kernel modules for how to do this (something like rmmod
[name]; insmod [name])

--------
Jon Peterson	[email-masked]	+44 (0)171 613 5300
Internet Developer

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

---

From: David Perry <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:21:58 +0000 ()

I am running netatalk now and am happy with it but I would like to redo 
it with support for hfs volumes and ASIP. 

With the hfs support does netatalk read and write the files in  the same 
format as a native mac drive? That is to say, does it still write files 
with the .AppleDouble  thing going on or is it all one usable file? Any 
details on the implementation woudl be appreciated.

Thanks

David Perry

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:37:58 +0100

> details on the implementation woudl be appreciated.

Paul H. Hargrove's hfs module under Linux can represent the resource
fork, finderinfo, etc. just like netatalk, so netatalk might not even
know about it's writing to a real HFS volume, still the thing works.

As of ASIP, it's included in Adrian Sun's patches - or did I
misunderstand You?

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 18:05:28 +0100

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]

---

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Mar 1998 21:23:06 +0200

> details on the implementation woudl be appreciated.

With hfs support, you can mount a Macintosh drive (move it to the
Linux box - I don't know if you can _create_ Mac filesystems on Linux)
and share the files on it. The hfs filesystem can show the resource
forks to the Linux API as an .AppleDouble directory so that netatalk
finds it as it should - naturally, since the filesystem itself knows
that the data and resource forks belong together, you avoid the
problems of stray files in .AppleDouble when a UNIX or Samba user
moves or deletes files. As far as the filesystem is concerned, there's
one file with two forks, and if you delete the data fork, the resource
fork disappears as well. As far as UNIX API and tools are considered,
they see two files.

On the other hand, hfs is a limited and slow filesystem format
compared to ext2. For a volume shared to MacOS and Windows users, it
might be useful, but if the access to the volume is strictly from Macs
only, you'd be better off using ext2.

-- 
You can tune a piano, but you can`t tuna fish.
Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>