Subject: [netatalk-admins] another pre-asun2.1.0

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:55:27 -0700 (PDT)

hi all,

i've just made another snapshot available
(ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/pre-asun2.1.0-11.tar.gz>) that
will hopefully be the real asun2.1.0. in this version, file/directory
lengths > 31 characters don't even show up. let me know if it works
for you.

-a

---

From: Jan Dockx <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:49:59 +0200

A "feature request":

Totally ignoring the discussion whether something like netatalk should be
"transparent" or "leave the file system alone" ....

File name extensions annoy me. I don't want, nor need them, luckily, for
90% of the file types on my Mac. Because we use netatalk together with NFS
on linux and Samba to share files in peaceful coexistence between Mac's,
Windows NT and Unix users, when I put files on the server, I do have to add
file name extensions. This is not only annoying from a "visual" point of
view (:-)), but also takes a lot of time. It surely calls for automation.
Now netatalk already does this the other way around: Type/Creator codes are
added based on file name extensions.

The features I request are:

1) type/creator 2 file name extension
Use the file name extension/type/creator list provided in different
".AppleVolumes" files also to automatically add file name extensions when
Mac files without the correct extension are copied up to the server.
This probably calls for a more extensive list: e.g., different MS Word file
types all have "doc" as a filename extension. This should be no problem:
keep the list format as it is, allow multiple entries for a file name
extension, and use the first encountered entry for the existing feature of
file name extension to type/creator mapping (the way different
".AppleVolumes" cascade probably already implements this.)

2) file name extension hiding
When talking to a client about a file (listing directories, opening a file,
Š), don't include the file name extensions in the name (but do include the
type/creator codes, of course). Mac users are spared of the annoying visual
Win/Unix reminder, Win/Unix users have them. A very interesting side effect
is that we would have "longer filenames". As most file name extensions take
4 positions (".doc") -- some take even more (".jpeg") -- we would again
have 32 positions for file names, instead of the 28 or less we have now in
practice.
This will take a bit more work, because even Mac users don't want this
feature always: we do not want the file extension to go away, e.g., for
HTML files (".html"), Java files (".java", ".jar", ".class", ...), etc...
This means we need an extra column in the ".AppleVolumes" files list that
states whether or not file name extension hiding is enabled for the
extension in question or not. I suggest "hide" and "nohide", with "hide" as
the default. "nohide" seems only necessary for software developers and web
masters.

I should implement this all myself of course, but, alas, ... Maybe if
netatalk was written in Java or C++, ... ;-).

Jan Dockx - assistent               ([email-masked])
K.U.Leuven, Department of Computer Science
Celestijnenlaan 200 A 03.28; 3001 Heverlee; Belgium
tel.: ++ 32/16/32 76 56                   fax.: ++ 32/16/32 79 96
<http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~jand/>
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
  "There's some joke making around about some mathematician
   that said that 1000 chimpansees in 1000 years sitting at
   1000 typewriters would eventually write the works of
   Shakespeare. And the snap around the joke is that the Web
   proves this is not so."
                                Kurt Vonnegut about the Internet
                                in "Vonnegut's Timequake; All
                                Things Considered, September 22,
                                1997; National Public Radio"

---

From: Dejan Ilic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:32:58 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi.

 I'm new to NetAtalk-list but there are a couple problems to
 2.1.0-10pre and 2.1.0-11. I'm trying to move away from Xinet KaShare
 as I'm not exacly sattisfied with their support.

 System: Sparc Ultra1 with Solaris 2.6, Macs with MacOS8.1 with
 Appleshare client 3.8 & MacOS7.5.5 & client 3.7.4

 *) When logging into the system, the connection gets "unexpecetly 
    broken" after verifying the user and password is correct. Not that
    it correctly says that the password is incorrect if I write
    a wrong password. This on the TCP-connection.

   The only thing found in the logs is:
Oct 14 12:08:17 helpdesk1 afpd[196]: server_child[1] 602 done
Oct 14 12:08:24 helpdesk1 afpd[603]: ASIP session:548(1) from
130.236.240.73:2049(2)
Oct 14 12:08:24 helpdesk1 afpd[196]: server_child[2] 603 killed

    When tring to do a "old-style" ethertalk-connection, the chooser
    gets stuck for a long time and then gets the same error.

Oct 14 12:13:49 helpdesk1 afpd[636]: session from 61450.88:244 on
61448.184:129
Oct 14 12:13:49 helpdesk1 afpd[196]: server_child[0] 636 killed

As a cheavat I can add that if you log in as guest, everything seems
to work! So the problem is somewhere near after the password
verifikation.

 *) Incorrect assumptions:
    Makefile and the *.c-files assume that kerberos is in a separate
    directory, that is not in the case of at least solaris2.6 there
    includes are in /usr/include/kerberos and the lib files are in
    /usr/lib

 *) smaller problem:

   *) kinstall insorrectly assumes that /etc/rc*/*atalk files doesn't
      exists and thus fails when it tries to make links in those
      places. A check should be done before or use "ln -sf"

 *) Question:

     LPRng printspooler people has a patch against netatalk-1.4b2 for
     it to work correctly with it, is this in the asun source-tree ?
 
     the patch can be found under 
     ftp.astart.com /pub/LPRng/TOOLS/netatalk

 I will probably look into quotas under solaris later on when the
 problems above are solved.

So much from me for the moment.
Dejan

> lengths > 31 characters don't even show up. let me know if it works

=====================================================================
Dejan Ilic, Tech Univ. of Linkoping, Sweden    Phone:+46-13-473 01 06
Email: [email-masked]   Web: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~svedja
=====================================================================
[finger -l [email-masked] for public PGP key]