Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Prob: Printing Binary PS

From: "Frank Morton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 13:24:19 -0500

This is more of a question. We send large (probably average 15mb,
peak at 100mb or so) files hourly without problems. I have seen this
problem posted a number of times, so I have been confused.

Then it occurred to me that we print via our own scripts using
"pap" directly instead of going through an lp filter.

Are you going through such a filter? If so, that is where the problem
lies and I might be coaxed into fixing the problem. I have plans to
develop and GPL a very simple OPI filter and maybe we can
fix a problem and gain a new capability at the same time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Tuesday, September 29, 1998 10:35 AM
Subject: [netatalk-admins] Prob: Printing Binary PS

>Okay, it's my turn now: I need help!  ;-)
>
>Doesn't anybody else have printing problems with netatalk? I am having a
few:
>I am having a _very_ hard time printing files with enclosed binary files
>(Xpress mit Photoshop EPS). PAPD accepts the job and then chokes.
>
>Does anybody have a smooth solution? Setting the output methode to ASCII
>(in the MAC programs) is not satisfying. Has A. Sun had a look at PAPD?
>Your help is greatly appreciated.
>
>It's a 2.0.35 kernel with an Apple Laser Writer 360 Select connected on lp1
>and pre current netatalk version + asun patch ().

---

From: Carl Olsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 08:11:45 -0000

I was having problems with papd but upon reading the release notes for 
the LaserWriter driver 8.5.1 I saw one of the features was the ability to 
print to an lpr network print queue. 

To do this you need to be using desktop printing and then create the 
printer using the Desktop Printer Utility in the Apple Extras folder. You 
also need to have lpd running on your linux box, on mine this was the 
default.

Since doing this we have not had any problems, except for people going to 
the chooser to select the printer rather than using the desktop printer.

This solution also has the benefit of being TCP/IP only.

System - Linux 2.0.35
All clients run MacOS 8.1

Regards

Carl Olsen

On 29/9/98 9:29 Lars wrote

>Doesn't anybody else have printing problems with netatalk? I am having a few:
>regards,
>Lars
>PS: Thanks to everyone for a smooth and well mannered mailing list!
>
>
>
>[email-masked]
>- secure mail prefered -
>

+----------------------------------------------------------------+
| CARL OLSEN                       Email: [email-masked]  |
| Key Software Pty. Ltd.           Phone: +61-2-9314-5812        |
| Database & Network Consultants   Fax:   +61-2-9398-4294        |
+----------------------------------------------------------------+