Subject: [netatalk-admins] Heeeelp - Can't get shares to show!

From: Tony Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 12:56:07 +0100

I know, I know,  this again...  Well I was having this problem at the
same time that Chris Olive was.  I thought at the time that by just
following the summaries/responses I'd solve my problem too.

But it's worse than that Jim...  I have netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 running
on 2.0.33 Slackware.  I have installed PAM [with libpwdb] on the system, but
it and Netatalk didnt want to cooperate [couldnt log in] so for the moment
I have it commented out in ./Makefile.  I have DES and it complies fine,
but I've
tried building with and without DES support.   I have shadowed passwords
and included -DSHADOWPW in ./sys/linux/Makefile.

Now no matter what I do, the Shares, apart from the default '~' will not
show up.
I have tried building with and without -DSHADOWPW to see if I could get at my
shares as Guest, but they dont show.

The permissions are root.root 644 on AppleVolume. files.   I have completely
reinstalled the netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 source twice from different
locations
in case I had done something wrong.

I have another Slackware box here running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 fine
and I have even NFS mounted /usr/local/atalk onto my trouble machine from the
Netatalk server thats ok and tried firing up Netatlk like that.  I still
cant see the Shares.

The only thing I can think of now is, maybe some software I've installed
elsewhere
on the system, like des or ssl or anything else like that might may be screwing
things up on me.

Heres my AppleVolume.system:

#
# This file is read before (after if -u is specified) the user's
# AppleVolume file.  Add extension mappings and volumes here.
#
/home/atalk/Scratch Scratch

My AppleVolume.double just has '~'.  I've also tried it with my shares
listed there though.
And yes I have tried explicitly stating my AppleVolume file locations with
the afpd flags.

the /home/atalk/Scratch directory is mode 770, group user, owned by root.
I start
Netatalk using the installed rc.atalk.

*Any* suggestions questions or anything pertinent is much appreciated.
Even real basic
stuff in case I've missed something along the way.  Chris Olive, if youre
reading this, maybe if
you received suggestions that werent also sent to the list and could have
any bearing I'd
really appreciate if you could forward them on to me in case theres
something in there that
could do the trick.

Many thanks,   Tony.

__________________________________________________
Tony Moran		Scope Communications.
IT Manager		http://www.infolive.ie
Ph:   (+353-1)-8303455	http://www.jobfinder.ie
Fax: (+353-1)-8300888	Ireland's Jobs and IT resources Web Site
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
What to do about Spam: http://weber.ucsd.edu/~pagre/spam.html

      "'Tis true; there's magic in the web of it;" Othello, Act 3 Scene 4

                                          ->>!<<-

---

From: Andrew McNabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:45:02 -0500 (CDT)

Here's my guess.  It seems that your Shares directory is unreadable by
netatalk.  Have you tried chmoding it to make sure?  Also, try on various
other directories, anything that you know anyone would be able to read
(/etc, /bin, etc.).

> really appreciate if you could forward them on to me in case theres

----------------------------------------------
                Andrew McNabb
             Argus Systems Group
          [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------
  I am an International Arms Trafficker!!!!!
http://online.offshore.com.ai/arms-trafficker/
----------------------------------------------

---

From: Tony Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 09:42:22 +0100

>Have you tried chmoding it to make sure?  Also, try on various

Yes, I have. 777.  I've tried different directories too.
I've also tried different group and user ownerships just in case.

>Unless You meant Applevolumes.system, this is wrong.

Unfortunately, I did mean my AppleVolumes.system.
Interestingly, when I try starting up Netatalk with the '~' line in
AppleVolumes.default commented out, I do still get a 'home' directory
share in Chooser login...or is that always the case ?

I have also, on the machine where netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 is working,
tarred up the /usr/local/atalk directory, transferred it to the machine it
isnt
working on, installed the tar as /usr/local/atalk/ and run it, and *still* not
get any shares.

I also performed the opposite operation, transferring netatalk from the 'bad'
machine to the good, upon which I dont get any shares either.

This thing is driving me nuts..  any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Tony.

                                          ->>!<<-

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 13:45:24 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Tony Moran wrote:

> I have also, on the machine where netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 is
> working, tarred up the /usr/local/atalk directory, transferred it to the
> machine it isnt working on, installed the tar as /usr/local/atalk/ and
> run it, and *still* not get any shares. 

Still I have to say, afpd looks for AppleVolumes.* files in the ETCDIR
configured in the Makefile; in Adrian's patch set this defaults to /etc,
so You should edit the corresponding files in /etc, unless You changed the
Makefile, or specified the file location on afpd's command line.

> machine to the good, upon which I dont get any shares either.

Probably because the newly compiled afpd looks in /etc, where You have
Your configuration files in /usr/local/atalk (or any other) directory,
where the old afpd looks for it.

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]
PS: I hope, You are not getting fooled by an AppleVolumes file in
someone's home directory...

---

From: Tony Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 12:36:06 +0100

>Makefile, or specified the file location on afpd's command line.

Unfortunately : (this isnt the patch to 1.4b2, its the whole
netatalk-asun18.2 install)

DESTDIR=/usr/local/atalk
.
.
ETCDIR=$(DESTDIR)/etc

And:

1 -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          179 Apr 27 20:10
/usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.default
4 -rw-r--r--   1 root     root         3107 Apr 27 09:23
/usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.system

My AppleVolumes.system :

# .       TEXT    UNIX

/home/atalk/Mother Mother

# sounds
.mod    STrk    STrk
.mid    Midi    ttxt

Also : permissions on /home/atalk/Mother is 774,
owned by root, group user

>someone's home directory...

Nope..

I've done searches for any such spare files on the system..aint none..

What I'll try now is to explicitly assign '/usr/local/atalk/etc' to ETCDIR
in the Makefile, just in case.  Hmm..that shouldnt make any differences
I know, but I'm running out of ideas..

Ta muchly,

Tony.

                                          ->>!<<-

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 15:44:26 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi Tony,

> netatalk-asun18.2 install)

In my version this is present, too, but a couple of lines below:

ETCDIR=/etc

However, setting the path explicitly is a very good idea. 

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 14:29:07 +0100

>I know, but I'm running out of ideas..

Nope, no joy there..  I was wondering.. When I comment out the '~'
in AppleVolumes.default I still get the Users home directory appearing..
is that right ?  If it is, where in the config or source does it specify to
share the users Home directory ?

I'm hoping here to be able to also include, at that point, the other volumes
I want to be able to mount.

Cheers,  Tony.

                                          ->>!<<-

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 18:08:05 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi Tony,

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Tony Moran wrote:
> is that right ?

No, You shouldn't. I've tried it out right now, and it behaves. What about
AppleVolumes.system - might You have defined it there?

>  If it is, where in the config or source does it specify to share the
> users Home directory ? 

I don't know about any direct/hardcoded reference. It references the
user's AppleVolumes and/or .AppleVolumes file though.

> I'm hoping here to be able to also include, at that point, the other
> volumes I want to be able to mount. 

Tony, try to insert a printout of the paths into Your source (mail me for
diffs); that way, we should be able to spot any pathname bugs lurking
around, although I doubt the problem is there.

Sincerely,
dras Kadinger
[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 10:49:49 +0100

>AppleVolumes.system - might You have defined it there?

Nope - only in .default.
>around, although I doubt the problem is there.

Hi, I applied Andras' code [cheers, Andras] to print the config file
pathnames to syslog :

May  4 21:35:28 citadel afpd[10278]: path to AppleVolumes.default:
/usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.default
May  4 21:35:28 citadel afpd[10278]: path to AppleVolumes.system:
/usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.system
May  4 21:35:28 citadel afpd[10278]: path to afpd.conf:
/usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd.conf

Which of course is right.. thats where my AppleVolumes files are.
So..if the path is correct, yet changing the AppleVolumes.default config
to _not_ have a default '~' Share has *no* effect...
[and my Shares still arent showing up]
Any ideas what could possibly be going on ?

Cheers,   Tony.

                                          ->>!<<-

---

From: Tony Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 17:07:18 +0100

>isn't this a faq? have you checked permissions on
>/usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.*? make sure the entire path is
>readable by everybody.

I don't ******* believe it... /usr had somehow gotten set to 700.

Apologies for the waste of bandwidth.
Thanks for the help and time guys, especially
Andras, and Asun for pointing me at the answer in the end.

David Hamm: take heart and start looking for improperly
set permissions and other obvious things that can
be stupidly overlooked and should be firstly considered
before making a hullabaloo about it..  dohh..

Very best,  Tony.

                                          ->>!<<-

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 09:15:42 -0700 (PDT)

-a