Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] odd saving behavior

From: John Sutton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 09:05:31 +0000

At 11:57 31/03/98 -0600, you wrote:
>> Not wishing to be (too) provocative here, I have to ask:  Does anybody use
>> netatalk successfully in a "real world" environment?
>
>Get the permissions stuff right. I can't say what is right for your
>environment, but I guarantee that getting permissions wrong will make you
>crazy because you will end up with all sorts of mysterious oddities. It's
>not something that can be easily 'cookbooked' because everyone has
>different security needs and ease-of-use needs. It needs to be thought out
>carefully with an eye to your specific situation, and if you don't
>understand the interactions between umasks, directory permissions, and how
>netatalk maps Unix to AFP permissions, you will be very sad.

OK, I'll try that but am dubious that it's the real problem.  My setup is _very_ simple, no shared directories or anything clever.  Presumably if for testing purposes I just open up the whole netatalk tree with 777 mode, then that should suffice?

>[1] This is rather off-topic, but does anyone know of a decent way to
>bidirectionally synch directories on 2 Linux machines across a longish
>stretch of the Internet where using rsh and its evil relatives is
>unacceptable?  Mirror is workable with a sufficiently convoluted config,
>but it really is not made for the task.

If rsh is unacceptable only because of the security implications, then use ssh (Secure Shell).  This has all the same functionality (and more) but is _very_ secure.

***************************************************
John Sutton
SCL Computer Services
URL http://www.scl.co.uk/
Tel. +44 (0) 1239 621021
***************************************************