Subject: [netatalk-admins] Printing from Macs

From: "Robert J. Marinchick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 11:02:43 -0500 (EST)

Hi Folks,

I've gotten netatalk to print from unix devices, but am having trouble getting
Macs to work. I get the following messages (in /usr/adm/messages):

Jan 28 10:23:02 majink1.itc.Virginia.EDU papd[10820]: read_ppd .ppd: No such 
file or directory
Jan 28 10:23:28 majink1.itc.Virginia.EDU papd[10820]: lp_conn_unix connect 
/dev/printer: No such file or directory
Jan 28 10:23:28 majink1.itc.Virginia.EDU papd[10820]: lp_print: lp_conn_unix: No 
such file or directory

my printcap looks like:

lp|forest_l1|   HP LaserJet 4, Forestry 135, ITC:\
        :lp=/dev/null:mx#0:\
        :lf=/usr/spool/print/forest_l1/lpd-errs:pw#80:sh:sf:\
        :if=/usr/local/atalk/etc/filters/ifpap:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/print/forest_l1:

my /usr/local/atalk/etc/papd.conf looks like:

forest_l1:\
        :pr=lp:

I'm following the directions as shown in "How to setup the printer using 
Appletalk" by Werner Eugster.

Does anyone know what I'm leaving out?

Thanks for your help.
Bob Marinchick
[email-masked]

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 12:26:47 -0800 (PST)

> Does anyone know what I'm leaving out?

The messages say it all.

For papd, you don't have a .ppd file (a file which tells the macs what the
postscript printer can do). Also, papd is trying to talk to the print
spooler via /dev/printer, which doesn't seem to exist.

I think (but am not sure) that pr=|lpr -Pprintername  will work.

Also, why are you having the macs print to a printer queue which points to
an Appletalk printer? Why not just have them print directly?

Take care,

Bill

---

From: Jesse Swensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 06:12:47 -0500

>an Appletalk printer? Why not just have them print directly?

I have watched several threads that have hinted at the Macs printing
directly to the printer, but have not found specific instructions.  The
several Mini HOWTOs and FAQs I have read all have the linux box spooling
the print job and running it through ghostscript.  I have this type of
setup and it is running OK.  I do have problems every now and then with
postscript error and feel it would be better to let the DeskJet driver send
the print job rather than the LaserWriter driver.  Currently the PC can
print direct, so why not the Mac.

My set up is as follows:

Mac, PC, Linux.  All are on ethernet.
DeskJet 855c connected to the Linux box on the parallel port.

If there is a set of instruction that would be great...

Thanks,
Jesse