Subject: [netatalk-admins] Q - afp mount via www?

From: Leo Wierzbowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:38:49 -0400

There's a group here at UF working on a way to authenticate laptop users
of our networks via a cookie generated by a web page visit.  The laptop
needs only a ssl-capable browser - no special client software.  The web
server takes the userid and passwd, authenticates against a kerberos 5
server, and deposits a cookie on the laptop which other web services can
use for single-sign-on style authentication.

Mac laptops not only have a browser, but the AFP client too.  So, is
there a way I can make a Mac mount an afp volume via a web page visit?

--
Sincerely,
Leo Wierzbowski

http://grove.ufl.edu/~leo/

"If a man is dishonest he should be driven from public life."
 (Theodore Roosevelt, "The Best and the Good,"
 in "The Strenuous Life")

 "The University of Florida does not endorse or
 disendorse the content of this document.
 Everything is the author's private opinion."

---

From: Neil McAllister <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:27:59 -0700

>there a way I can make a Mac mount an afp volume via a web page visit?

It may or may not be useful to you to learn that OS 8.5's new Network
Browser application supports AppleShare IP URLS of the format:

afp://username:[email-masked]

Unfortunately, I can't find a way to support it in Netscape, but I can open
URLs of this type from Eudora, and the Internet control panel in 8.5 comes
pre-configured with Network Browser as a Helper App for URLs of type afp,
for anything that will query Internet Config for this sort of thing.

FWIW.

--
Neil McAllister, Systems Administrator
Primo Angeli Inc., San Francisco, CA, USA
http://www.primo.com  mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Ray Zimmerman)
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:25:43 -0400

>for anything that will query Internet Config for this sort of thing.

I've seen utilities for making Netscape send mailto: URLs to Eudora ...
these utilities I believe just modify a STR# resource in the Netscape
preferences file (the latest Netscape already includes one from AOL Instant
Messenger). You could maybe write a similar utility (or modify one) to send
afp URLs to Network Browser.

	Ray

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 10:18:37 +1000

Leo Wierzbowski said in [netatalk-admins] Q - afp mount via www? at 
23/Oct/1998 (Fri) 01:38:49.

> there a way I can make a Mac mount an afp volume via a web page visit?

Well, if you have OS 8.5 (with the Network Browser app), you can do things 
like:

afp://address.of.asip.server/

You need to setup your web browser to launch Net Browser as a helper (if you 
installed OS 8.5 with IE 4.01 or Nutscraper, it's preset to do this)....  it 
all works.

Of course, you're talking about doing the login exchage in addition to the 
actual connect itself.  I have no idea about doing anything like that.  Maybe 
with the Authman or KClient there's some way to glue it into the login 
process, I don't know - I don't use Kerberos.  

=R=

---

From: Joel Klecker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 16:10:17 -0800

At 15:27 -0700 1998-10-22, Neil McAllister wrote:
>Unfortunately, I can't find a way to support it in Netscape

An AppleScript such as the following should do it (note that some versions
of Netscape do not save protocol registrations to the preferences file as
they should, and thus will "forget" them after being quit).

tell application "Netscape"
	register protocol "nbrw" for protocol "afp:"
end tell
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)
<URL:mailto:[email-masked]>        <URL:http://web.espy.org/>
   Debian GNU/Linux user/developer on i386 and powerpc.
<URL:mailto:[email-masked]>  <URL:http://www.debian.org/>