Subject: [netatalk-admins] How to detect netatalk usage

From: Jim Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 13:12:48 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I've inherited a netatalk server which is running version 1.2 on a SunOS
4.1.3 Sun sparc10.  In previous years we had many users but the feeling
is that most have stopped using netatalk and now we must decide whether
to keep it running or not.

The problem is that we cannot determine who is using the server.  No
logs are being saved by netatalk.  Does anyone know how to log netatalk
usage in version 1.2, or somehow determine past usage?

Any hints appreciated,

-Jim
James E. Sullivan 	
ALW Support Manager, DSS, CFB, CIT	
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD 20892
Internet: [email-masked]

---

From: Mark Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 20:02:40 -0500

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Jim Sullivan wrote:

[snip!]
> I've inherited a netatalk server which is running version 1.2
[snip!]

Wow!  That one is old.  I've never even seen that...I started this about
two years ago with version 3.3...

> usage in version 1.2, or somehow determine past usage?

The current versions of netatalk *do* logging for you...sometimes a little
too much so :)  (How many times do we really *need* to know that the
appletalk network has failed to reach a particular host?)

Other means might be to see if atalkd/afpd (if both of those exist) accept
any sort of debugging options.  I believe that the current snapshot
include debugging info with every -d (so, a debuglevel of 5 would be -d -d
-d -d -d on the command line).

Another means would be to periodically run a grep on the process list 
for afpd. The first instance (run by root) is the main server; it will
fork off and change ownership for every person who connects.  If you get a
crontab going to see if anybody other than root is running afpd, then you
should be able to see who is using it when.

Cheers,
--Mark Donnelly