Subject: [netatalk-admins] AFPD idle timeout?

From: Neil McAllister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:10:03 -0700

Is there a way to add an "idle timeout" feature to afpd?  It would be nice
to force users to drop those server volumes into the trash when they're not
using them, to reduce overall network load -- but in particular I'm
thinking more of "dead" afpd processes that are left on the netatalk server
when someone experiences a crash or otherwise drops the connection to afpd.
It would be nice if they would go away by themselves.

--
Neil McAllister, Systems Administrator
Primo Angeli Inc., San Francisco, CA, USA
http://www.primo.com  mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Smith, Hammett & Edison, Inc.)
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 14:10:55 -0700

>It would be nice if they would go away by themselves.

Neil -

There is a 2-minute "keep-alive" timeout already in afpd, per the AFP
specification.  When a Mac crashes the afpd for that machine should go away on
it's own after a couple of minutes, accompanied by syslog messages about a
timeout.  If that isn't happening you've got some problem with your build of
netatalk.  I seem to vaguely recall a report of a problem along these lines in
the past, anybody else out there have a better memory?

Hope this helps!

Bob S.