Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk verse ASIP

From: "Alexander G. Kuprion" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 14:43:31 -0500 (EDT)

I hope I'm not off topic here...

I've been exploring the idea of switching our file server, a G3/233mhz running 
AppleShare IP 5.03, to MKlinux running netatalk. I've successfully gotten 
MKLinux and netatalk to work on several servers, and have permanently moved 
all FTP, Web, and mail servers to linux boxes.

Is this a good or bad idea? Will I get better or worse performance with 
netatalk as opposed to continuing to use Appleshare IP (which, though it 
works, doesn't offer a lot of the features a linux box would offer..) Are 
maintaining Resource forks at all a problem with netatalk? Any and all 
comments would be greatly appreciated..

BTW: If this is off topic please reply via email.. 

Thanks for any future help..

-- 

Alex

        University of Louisville, Distance Education
        (502) 852-0570  Fax: (502) 852-3976

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 07:53:47 +0200 (SAT)

hi

this is exactly what i've done, and i think it's far preferable.

____________________________________________________________
John Ostrowick
Computer Science Department, University of the Witwatersrand   
Web site, ftp site and listserv all available at: 
http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/