Subject: [netatalk-admins] One Mac won't print!

From: Brian Eric Bothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:04:58 -0500 (EST)

I have netatalk 1.4b2 running under RedHat Linux 5.0 and everything was
working just fine with all of the Macs in our office.  We got a new G3
PowerMac and for some strange reason I cannot get it to print to the HP
DeskJet 6MP we have.  All the other Macs can, but not the G3.  I have
tried every possible confiuration on both the Mac and Linux side and
nothing will print.  The really weird thing is that I had *thought* that
the G3 wasn't even connecting to the Linux box but when I click on the
"Update Printer Info" in the Chooser/Laserwriter8/printername/Info I am
getting the following in the logfiles:

Jan 16 15:42:39 wtlinux papd[2680]: child 3286 for "Marty's_Printer" from 
46672.73 
Jan 16 15:42:39 wtlinux papd[3286]: read_ppd .ppd: No such file or directory
wtlinux papd[2680]: child 3286 done Jan 16 15:43:16 wtlinux afpd[3240]: done

(sidenote: I have always got the "read_ppd .ppd: No such file or
directory". Not sure why as I have the following in my /etc/papd.conf:

Marty's_Printer:\
        :pd=/etc/hp_laserjet.ppd:pr=marty:op=daemon: 
)

BUT when I send any print job from the G3 I get *nothing* in any log file
to indicate that any connection was made.

This is driving me batty!

Is this most likely a Mac problem?  If it is, how in the heck might I fix
it?  I need ugly config files, and Macs just don't have em!!  ;)

Thanks,

-Brian

---

From: Eric C Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:33:35 -0500 (EST)

System 8.1 will be releasing the new LaserWriter print drivers. They have
a bunch of new features (ie potential bugs) such as TCP/IP printing. The
software has been around for awhile so its possible that they included it
on the G3's. So try downgrading on the printer driver and see if that
helps.

Later,

Eric

 On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Brian Eric Bothwell wrote:

> -Brian>