Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] resource fork problem

From: Steve J Chun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 98 17:26:31 EDT

> 
> >Any ideas on how to enable resource fork info created under uShare to be used
> >by netatalk?  Also, where to get details on Mac internals, e.g. resource
> >forks...
> 
> Does uShare come with any Unix-based utilities to convert files to
> MacBinary?  It would be tedious, but you could then MacBinary all your
> files with the uShare utility, then run Megatron to extract them again into
> netatalk's storage format.
> 
> --
> Neil McAllister, Systems Administrator

Hmmm - that's an interesting idea - I didn't find such a utility though
with our version of uShare (it's a pretty old version)...

> We moved from Totalnet's "Heap-o-crap" Advanced Server to Thursby's =
> DAVE2 product, and came across the same data migration problems.
> 
> We just set 4 old Quadras copying files off the unix box using TAS, and =
> them back on using Dave (samba).  We moved all 12Gb in one night.  This =
> might not seem particularly elegant or efficient - but it works.  And =
> you are only going to do this once.
> 
> There are loads of mac servers out there (I'd not heard of uShare), and =
> they all have different ways of storing the resource forks.  Clear out =
> some disk space (borrow disks if necessary) and pick a night.  Believe =
> me - its the easiest way.
> 
> Gavin

Brute force would work - however, it'd be nice if we could easily
switch back and forth between netatalk and uShare (which despite its
setbacks has proven itself to be more or less stable as an AFP server),
while I test netatalk on our systems.  Maybe I'll set aside a small
duplicate portion of the volumes for re-copying and testing with
netatalk...

Thanks again for all the help!

Steve