Subject: [netatalk-admins] AppleTalk - Unix Crashes it! Help!!

From: "Eddie Irvine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 19:33:30 +1100

Hi all.

Not certain this is the correct newgroup to post this to but here goes.

At a high school where we work we have a Mac 6150 file server running
Apple server software v 5.0, and At Ease for networks. This software
runs a combination of TCP and AppleTalk. There are 32 macs on a single
ethernet network with 3 hubs daisy chained, a FreeBSD Apache / Squid
server on a generic PC.

The PC has a NE2000 clone card.

When the network is busy and a few kids start browsing, the AppleTalk part
of the Mac file server quietly stops.

Running a ping from the Mac (post - AppleTalk stop) shows no other apple
talk
devices EXCEPT ITSELF. It does, however, ping the other TCP/IP devices -
that is, the IP addresses of the other Macs.

Running an appletalk ping on a client mac shows all other macs, apart from
the
file server.

I did have netatalk on the FreeBSD box, but have commented out the start-up
script (in /usr/local/etc/rc.d ) and thus netatalk no longer runs - so I
presume
that can't be the problem.

I have also tried to reduce the mtu size on the FBSD box down to 500 using
 ifconfig.

In summary, the AppleTalk part of the Mac Fileserver, but NOT the IP part,
quietly stops working when a) the network is busy with apple talk packets,
and b) the Mac Fileserver sees IP traffic as well. Both (a) and (b) must
happen
concurrently.

I have checked the bug pages at Apple and can't seem to find anything.

Help!

Eddie.