Subject: [netatalk-admins] aarp: duplicate AT address!!

From: Patrick Gardella <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 15:37:24 -0500 (EST)

Hello all.

Finally got an ethernet card capable of multicast, so I am back in the Netatalk
game.  I'm running netatalk-1.4b2 on FreeBSD 2.2.5.

Two questions, however:

1)  I occasionally get a "aarp: duplicate AT address!! 0:e0:29:17:51:b6" error"
(the address changes between this one and 0:0:f4:af:3:b4) as well as "aarpprobe
why did this happen?!"  (The MAC addresses correspond to the two ethernet cards)

Why did this happen? :)  Is this because I have 2 ethernet cards, with the
second one being the one that doesn't do multicasting?  (I only have the
working one in etc/atalk.conf.)  If so, I can yank it.  Also, would using asun's
patched version fix this?

2)  The above might be related to this one.  I can mount the Un*x filesystem on
my Macs and see it all, but only some of them get the right icons.  I'm
using Steve Johnson's big type/creator list.  For example, .htm files show the
correct icon, while the .html files are the generic icon even though they have
the same entry in AppleVolumes.default (TEXT  MOSS).

The MacOS 8 patch from the web site was installed, but this "problem" appears
on either 7.5.5 or 8.1 or 8.0.

Does netatalk have to be restarted before mods to the AppleVoulmes files show
up?

Neither of these questions were answered in the FAQ or mailing list archives.

Patrick Gardella