Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Atalk over TCP/IP only?

From: Georg Schwarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:48:42 +0200 (MEST)

> Georg Schwarz wrote:
> > Is there any disadvantage of using AppleTalk over TCP/IP with a MacOS 8.1
> > client that uses TCP/IP anyway?
> 
> If You are TCP/IP-only, You lose all the chooser advantages (point and
> click); also, I could not make lpr printing work with 8.1.
> 
> When using both AppleTalk and TCP/IP, the chooser works and tries to
> connect over TCP/IP as a default (with fallback to AppleTalk); printing
> should still function as before: over AppleTalk.

no big deal. 8.1 nicely supports lpd, which IMHO is preferable anyway because
(via /etc/hosts.lpd) you can specify which host is allowed to print instead
of opening your printer to the who subnet (department in our case).

-- 
Georg Schwarz                             [email-masked]
Institut für Theoretische Physik    Tel. +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universität Berlin          http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
Sekr. PN 7-1, Hardenbergstr. 36, D-10623 Berlin            IRC: kuroi

---

From: Roger Buck <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 07:40:34 +0000

> of opening your printer to the who subnet (department in our case).

If running TCP/IP-only, what is suggested alternative(s) to chooser for
authorisation and access to server shares/volumes?

R.

---

From: Casey Bisson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:58:17 -0400

> authorisation and access to server shares/volumes?

The chooser support IP only operation, just doesn't allow browsing for IP only
services. In the Chooser, select AppleShare, then click the little button labeled
"Server IP Address." Enter a name or number of your IP Netatalk or other
AppleShare server and connect.

Casey Bisson
Information Technology
Plymouth State College

---

From: Georg Schwarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 18:49:51 +0200 (MEST)

> AppleShare server and connect.

what syntax is required for specifying a non-standard port?

---

From: Ashok Aiyar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:19:52 -0500 (CDT)

> what syntax is required for specifying a non-standard port?

FQDN:port or ip-address:port

Later,
Ashok
-- 
Ashok Aiyar                                 "Talk sense to a fool and
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research           he calls you foolish"
[email-masked]                            -- Euripedes