Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk Routing Problem...

From: "Ken McCord" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:31:54 -0500

Having a problem routing with Netatalk 1.4b2..

Network is configured as follows:

Alpha zone (numbered 2-2) - DMZ zone (1-1) - Linux router - Beta zone (3-3)

Linux router ('scoobiedoo') is configured to route IP, IPX and Appletalk (IP
and IPX route with no problem).  Atalkd.conf is set to:

To DMZ zone:   eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 1 -addr 1.72 -zone "DMZ"
TO Beta zone:   eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 3 -addr 3.251 -zone "BETA"

Macs on the Beta zone can see the entire network.  For example, they can see
Macs in the Alpha zone using Timbuktu Pro.  Macs on the Alpha network can
see Macs on the DMZ zone, but not the Beta zone.

One strange thing I noticed... using ATCON on our Netware server (in the
Beta zone), scoobiedoo advertises itself in the DMZ zone, but with the 3.251
address.  Shouldn't this be the 1.72 address??

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken McCord
MIS Manager
AC Coin and Slot

---

From: "Ken McCord" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 09:14:13 -0500

Replying a a message from Andras Kadinger regarding my original
post....received the reply at home and didn't have the info to respond, so
I'm reposting with his comments...

>> To Beta zone:   eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 3 -addr 3.251 -zone "BETA"

>> Macs in the Alpha zone using Timbuktu Pro.

> What is Timbuktu Pro?  Why is it needed here?

Timbuktu Pro is a remote control/access program (like PC Anywhere) for Macs
and PCs.  It works over IP, IPX and Appletalk.  Our Macs use it for file
transfers.  Our problem is that Macs in the Beta zone can see and control
Macs in the Alpha zone, but not vice versa.

We also have a MS Mail for Appletalk networks mail server in the Beta zone.
Macs in the Alpha zone cannot connect to this machine to get their mail.
Problems also happen if the Mac is moved from the Alpha zone to the DMZ
zone.

>>Macs on the Alpha network can see Macs on the DMZ zone, but not the Beta
zone.

> What kind of router is it between Alpha and DMZ?

We have a pair of Farallon Netopia 440's between the DMZ and Alpha zone.
Appletalk is configured for these routers, and we've had Farallon check the
configuration.

> Not necessarily, since it has only one address on the network, which
happens to > be on the other interface.  This is normal and should not cause
a problem, except > maybe, appearing on a different zone than You wanted.
After rereading Your       > previous sentences: Yes, it looks strange to
me, too.

I'm going to try the older 1.3.3 version of Netatalk.  Maybe that will make
a difference.

> Sincerely,
> Andras Kadinger
> [email-masked]

Thanks, Andras

>> AC Coin and Slot

Ken

---

From: "Ken McCord" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 16:02:42 -0500

Sorry for the delay...it's been crazy around here today (but then, when
isn't it??).

Here's the output from nbplkup.  It looks like it's getting information from
the eth0 interface (based on the other devices being listed - they're in the
DMZ zone).  No information for devices in the Alpha or Beta zones was
included in the output.

scoobiedoo:AFPServer                  3.251:128
scoobiedoo:netatalk                   3.251:4
scoobiedoo:Workstation                3.251:4
LanRoverE:LanRover/E                  1.176:78
LanRoverE:SNMP Agent                  1.176:8
LanRoverE:ADSP                        1.176:86
LanRoverE:Shiva Dial-Out              1.176:128
Netopia 440 #11218:Farallon Router    1.150:100

Oh yeah, RH 4.2 has kernel 2.0.30 (not 28.29 - my mistake).

Thanks for the pointer to the asun patches!

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
To: Netatalk list <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, February 19, 1998 2:25 PM
Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Re: Netatalk Routing Problem...

>While we are at it:
>
>What does nbplkup tell You? Can other objects on the network be seen
>from the Linux box?
>
>Sincerely,
>Andras Kadinger
>[email-masked]