Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] HFS volumes and the volume icon

From: [email-masked] (Robert Abatecola)
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 16:14:33 -0700

For System 7 and later volume and folder icons are stored in invisible
resource files named "Icon" at the root level of the volume or folder.  You
can use ResEdit to open these files and edit the icons directly.

At 3:41 PM 10/1/98, Peter Tebault wrote:
>This is not directly related to the list.
>
>If you have expertice or have tinkered with HFS, please read on.
>Otherwise, my apologies.
>
>I'm using a netatalk server to have users drop files onto, then
>mastering the ISO images using mkhybrid, then burning them using a PC.
>I'm wondering if anyone has the piece of knowledge that I seek.  Where
>is the volume icon on an HFS volume stored.  I'd like to make one so
>that the CD can have an icon.
>
>Additionally, if anyone knows of good references for the HFS volume data
>structure, etc., please let me know.  I've looked for quite a while at
>Apple's developer site, to no avail.
>
>Thanks for the help.
>
>-Pete-

 -------------------------------------------------------------------
 Robert Abatecola       | Software Development, Network Consulting,
 The Stradivarian Group | Database Development (4D, FoxPro, FMPro,
 (408) 257-4482         | PowerBuilder), Internet Connectivity,
 [email-masked]       | Macintosh/UNIX/Windows
 -------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 13:25:59 +1000

Robert Abatecola said in Re: [netatalk-admins] HFS volumes and the volume 
icon at 02/Oct/1998 (Fri) 09:14:33.

> can use ResEdit to open these files and edit the icons directly.

Close!  It's actually "Icon\r" (yes, that's Icon[return]) -- Apple doesn't 
like creating invisible files on peoples' filesystems normally, since it 
would generate bizarre "this file already exists" even though that file 
wouldn't be visible.  So they use a file for icons that you could never 
generate (with existing file entry UIs): a name with a carriage return in it.

Also, I believe, the directory entry needs to have the "custom icon" bit set 
as well.  It's possible to have the file there, but the custom icon bit off 
(which would properly NOT display the icon) -- the finder doesn't present you 
with UI to permit this (since clearing the icon also zaps the file).  
Norton's Disk Doctor interprets the existing of custom icons w/o the bits set 
as a warning level "problem" which it fixes by setting the custom bit state 
according to the existence state of the custom icon entry.

Whew!

=Rob=