Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] MacOS8

From: "Eddie Irvine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 10:06:38 +1000

Interesting. I have been noticing a slowdown 
with OS8 and netatalk as well.

What version of netatalk are you using?
 Are you using the asun patches?

> I'm right on the edge here of having to downgrade about 50 macs to
>system 7.6 because of problems with netatalk and MacOS8 and 8.1 and I'm
>hoping someone can clue me into something that I've missed.  Drives seem
>to mount ok and are usable from the finder, but most applications have a
>heck of a time loading and saving files off the mounted volumes.  Response
>from the server gets slower and slower and finally the machine crashes. 
> As soon as I try from a Mac running system 7.6 or 7.5.5, the
>problem goes away.  Any ideas?

---

From: Andreas Haumer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 10:50:09 +0200

Hi!

> >problem goes away.  Any ideas?

This is _very_ interesting as I seem to have exactly the same problem!

I too have very slow data throughput (10-20kB/s!) between MacOS8
systems 
and a Linux netatalk server using plain netatalk-1.4b2 (without
additional
patches). I reported this to the list some weeks ago, but I haven't
got a
explanation for this behaviour yet. I haven't tried other MacOS
versions,
though.

- andreas

-- 
 Andreas Haumer         | email: [email-masked] | PGP key available
 *x Software + Systeme  | phone: +43.1.6001508     | on request.
 Buchengasse 67/8       |        +43.664.3004449   |   
 A-1100 Vienna, Austria |   fax: +43.1.6001507     |

---

From: Benny Simon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 07:39:46 -0400 (EDT)

>  Are you using the asun patches?

	I'm using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-oa1 -- has the slowdown you
noticed caused any problems?  Or does it just get slow.

-- Benny Simon ([email-masked])
   http://cartouche.syr.edu

---

From: David Hamm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 09:42:34 -0400 (EDT)

I use netatalk+asun for a production server and get great results with it.
goto ftp.u.washington.edu/pub/user-supported/asun get the source and
compile it.  Its as easy as I would strongly suggest editing the
etc/afpd/Makefile and commenting out the -DCRLF flag ( about midways down
the make file ).  There are a few other things I would suggest so if you
need help contact me.