Subject: [netatalk-admins] asun2.1.1 available

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 19:34:34 -0800 (PST)

hi there,

i've just made available asun2.1.1.

where to get it:
 <ftp.u.washington.edu:/public/asun/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.1.tar.gz>
 <ftp.u.washington.edu:/public/asun/asun2.1.0-2.1.1.diff.gz>

differences from asun2.1.0:
	atalkd:
	  - fixed atalkd multicast setting
	  - atalkd should again do the right thing with appletalk
	    interfaces and glibc on linux 2.0.x kernels.
	  - ignores slave interfaces when configuring itself

	pap/papd:
          - fixed sequence count

        afpd:
	  - streamlined the DSI interface (and added incomplete stubs
	    for sendfile)
	  - fixed default root directory desktop/icon info
	  - fixed a buffer overflow problem with .AppleDesktop
	  - added -tickleval <sec> as an afpd.conf option. be careful
	    with this. both client and server have to agree on the
	    tickle value.
	  - rename fixes
	  - realloc fixes
	  - FPChangePW fixes
	  - read-only filesystems now get reported correctly. 

        other:
	  - minor changes to the various Makefiles
	  - minor changes to rc.atalk.redhat

all in all, updating would be a good idea.

i've been a little bereft of time lately, but i'm currently doing the
following for asun2.2:  
	    1) converting afpd to using appledouble v2, and
	    2) writing a CNID database (using the wonders of the
	       berkeley v2 db)

this should allow us to get persistent DID's and easy CNID lookups
(making sherlock and pre-8.5 aliases happy). however, this has the
possibility of screwing things up if not done correctly. so, i would
like volunteers to test this out when i've got something close to
working. for those interested, this might take a little while as afpd
currently knows too much about the intimate details of the adouble
format. i have to abstract that a little so that we can handle
arbitrary appledouble versions. once that's all this database/v2 stuff
is in place though, it should be fairly easy to add per-directory
databases to speed up FPEnumerate and enable
shortname(8+3)/longname(32)/very longname(255 unicode) mappings.

i have other things that aren't as fundamental (filename morphing,
chaining byte locks) that i plan to put into asun2.2. they might even
make it into asun2.1 if i'm prodded enough. we'll see.

NOTE: i still need feedback re: the server disconnects. please let me
know all the details of a failing client and server (oses of both,
control panels, appleshare client versionq, and network cards and
speed as a minimum) as well as the relevant syslog messages.

-a
[email-masked]