Subject: [netatalk-admins] Help for newbie: Kernel reports Too may routes/iface (fwd)

From: Shaun Dodimead <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:10:12 +0000 (GMT)

This message appears when the system (RH5.1) boots initially:

Too may routes/iface.

and then it
compains

AppleTalk not up! Chiled exited with 1.
bind: Cannot assign requested address
bind: Cannot assign requested address

when I try to rerun /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start

I know it's not a lot of information, but any thoughts?. There is just one
device (eth0) in the machine, and the atalkd.conf is set for

eth0 -phase2 -net 0-65534 -addr 200.20

It seems to work, if I ifdown eth0, start atalkd, and then restart eth0.

Shaun

---

From: "Steven N. Hirsch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:57:21 -0500 (EST)

> eth0 -phase2 -net 0-65534 -addr 200.20

Can you provide more information about the network environment?  Is this
machine being brought up unconnected, or is there an existing network?  Is
there a router?

If you are trying to start standalone, you'll need more than one interface
in order for it to seed.  Try:

eth0 -seed -phase2 -net 2000 -addr 2000.10 -zone "MyZone"
dummy0 -seed -phase2 -net 1000 -addr 1000.1 -zone "MyZone"

If there is an existing net or a router, just do:

eth0

Steve

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 05:44:53 +0100

> in order for it to seed.  Try:

AFAIK, Adrian has fixed this, so you no longer need multiple interfaces
for starting up correctly standalone. 2.1.2-2 at least works this way.

Regards,
Andras