Subject: [netatalk-admins] Atalk IP optimizing tool

From: Dejan Ilic <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 17:22:48 +0100 (MET)

Somone mentioned that Apple has a tool that helps you to adjust the
client side parameters, and that it would help to increase the speed
of the network by simple adjustments. Probably things like network
buffers, MTU etc ? I've heard that AppleTalkIP defaults to MTU-538
(modem size) instead of 1500 (ethernet). Is that correct ? 

I dont expect any wonders, but a cost-free solution that would gain
some percents of net-speed is allways welcome.

Any pointers to that tool ?

=====================================================================
Dejan Ilic, Tech Univ. of Linkoping, Sweden    Phone:+46-13-473 01 06
Email: [email-masked]   Web: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~svedja
=====================================================================
[finger -l [email-masked] for public PGP key]

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 21:23:11 +1000

Dejan Ilic said in [netatalk-admins] Atalk IP optimizing tool at 24/Nov/1998 
(Tue) 02:22:48.

> (modem size) instead of 1500 (ethernet). Is that correct ? 

Open Transport does MTU discovery...  On my ethernet, that means it's 1500.  
It's *not* Appleshare IP Client that mucks with MTU, but rather parametres 
within OT itself.  There are Open Transport TCP/IP tuners available from 
Sustainable Softworks.

There *IS* an AppleShare IP Client Utility which tunes # of TCP buffers, size 
of cache and # of cache segments, whether to honour server issued messages, 
alerts, etc, many many other things.

I'd go to http://www.appleshareip.apple.com/ -- look for it there.  It's 
called "Appleshare IP Client Setup 1.0"  One of these days, I'll get 
organised and make an auto-responder bot for this question. :)

> some percents of net-speed is allways welcome.

Appleshare IP Client Setup is 100% free.  The Sustainable Softworks tuners 
are not.  I think you'll find that if your ethernet is reasonably setup 
and/or has no routers, you're already using 1500 byte MTUs.

Incidentally, when you get the Sustainable Softworks "Open Transport Advanced 
Tuner", you'll how much lineage Apple's Open Transport shares with Solaris' 
code.  (As in, the params are identical, have the same properties, *and* all 
can be changed on the fly w/o breaking connections or requiring a reboot -- 
put that in your MS (or even linux) pipe and smoke it).

=Robert=