Subject: [netatalk-admins] the latest version?

From: Rich Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:45:34 -0500

Well many hours have passed since I subscribed to netatalk-admins and still
no traffic.
So let's have a little story:

I installed netatalk 1.4b2-1 several days ago, and noticed that it was too
fragile. Over
time it became apparent that mis-typed passwords triggered the sudden and
permanent
disappearance of the AppleShare server on the Linux box (Red Hat 4.2). Reboot.

So I perused the Netatalk Survey, and saw that most netatalk admins were
delighted
with the stability of the server - only a minority shared my complaint
about wonky
authentication. Was I missing something?

The Netatalk FAQ-O-Matic recommended applying a patch called asun17 (was I
going to
have to learn about patching Un*x software so soon?), but the
Netatalk-HOWTO Tips
recommended the download of an already-patched RPM called
netatalk+asun20a18.2-oa1, so
that's what I did.

But when I attempted to install the package, rpm complained that my system
failed the
dependency check - several shared object files were unavailable.

failed dependencies:
        libdl.so.2 is needed by netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-oa1
        libc.so.6 is needed by netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-oa1
        ld-linux.so.2 is needed by netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-oa1

So here I am again - trying to figure out how to acquire and install the
Linux software
I need to get this thing into shape (three weeks ago, I was _so enthused_
about setting
up a Un*x-based Internet server). These required shared object files - what
package do I need
to get _them_ into place? And when I do so, do I have to worry about
breaking my
existing software? I'm still in the middle of installing NcFTPd because I
broke the
/etc/inittab file (what a learning experience that turned into) when I
followed the
directions for getting that to run by itself.

I noticed that rpm had some facilities for tracking package dependencies,
but I have not
yet investigated. Am I on the right track?

  -- Rich Martin                       --= [email-masked] =--
     Data Wrangler, Planet Interactive