Subject: [netatalk-admins] Q: Printing via netatalk to parallel prt on SS10

From: Lukas Karrer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 13:24:45 +0100 (MET)

Hello,

I am resending my quest for an answer in setting up netatalk to print to
a local postscript printer attached to a parallel-port on a Sun Sparc10.

If you have solved this Printing-Issue, I would be VERY glad, if somebody
could help me, or fill me in how to do this.

Regards

Lukas Karrer

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
            Lukas Karrer           Email: [email-masked]
              Sysadmin             WWW: http://www.trash.net/
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
Check out the stinkiest site on the web! Get a sniff from www.trash.net

---

From: Gaetano Bellanca <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 18:31:58 +0100

Hi folks!

I'm having problems with netatalk1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2.

1) All thins are (correctly?) compiled and installed but, when I'm trying to
connect, I'm able to see the server and my filesystem but, after introducing
the password, the connection is dropped. Any suggestion?

2) How to set printers (on Solaris 2.5.1)? There isn't printcap!

3) Where it is possible to find (optional) libraries requested by asun? I only
found des library!

Thanks in advance.

Gaetano

-- 

                     ___[_____]___
                        (.) (.)
                          (_)
--------------------o00O-------O00o-------------------

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Gaetano Bellanca                                                    |
| D.E.I.S. - Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informatica e Sistemistica. |
| University of Bologna.                                              |
| Viale Risorgimento, 2 - 40136 - Bologna - ITALY                     | 
|                                                                     |
| Phone  :  +39 51 6443060                                            |
| Fax    :  +39 51 6443073                                            |
|                                                                     |
| mailto:[email-masked]      URL:http://www.deis.unibo.it    | 
|                                                                     |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Lukas Karrer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 20:05:28 +0100

Hello again,

>a local postscript printer attached to a parallel-port on a Sun Sparc10.

Edan Idzerda <[email-masked]> replied
> Do you have a specific problem or just generally don't know how to do it ?
> You must have a PPD file for your printer and create a papd.conf file and
> run papd - when you've done this much, your Mac clients should at least see
> the printer in the Chooser. Maybe a bit more detail about your problem
> would help.

Sorry, I was a little to fast in writing to the list and forgot several
things!!

I am using Solaris 2.6 on a Sun Sparc 10. Lan is connected via the internal
le:0, the printer to the parallel port. Netatalk is Version 1.4b2 compiled
on Solaris 2.6.

Printing is set up:

# lpstat -a
QMS-PS410 accepting requests since Sat Jan 17 19:25:47 MET 1998
# cat /etc/printers.conf
QMS-PS410:\
        :bsdaddr=sokrates,QMS-PS410,Solaris:\
        :description=QMS-PS410:
_default:\
        :use=QMS-PS410:

I am able to print local, that means

# lpr some.ps
 or
# lpr some.ascii

I configured papd as follows: (as was statet in the FAQ @
http://www.cec.mtu.edu/Doc/FAQ/netatalk.html

QMS-PS410:\
        :pr=|/usr/ucb/lpr:\
	:op=daemon:\
        :pd=/opt/atalk/ppd/QMS-PS410

the printer shows up in the chooser on my mac. I can mount Volumes.

I issue the command:
# ps -edf | grep atalk
    root   170     1  0 19:54:40 ?        0:00 /opt/atalk/etc/atalkd
    root   184     1  0 19:55:25 ?        0:00 /opt/atalk/etc/papd
    root   186     1  0 19:55:25 ?        0:00 /opt/atalk/etc/afpd
    data   208   186  0 19:56:02 ?        0:00 /opt/atalk/etc/afpd

which shows me all services are running. I do not have entries of papd in
syslog or /var/adm/messages.

Whenever I want to Print from my mac (PPC 7200, OS 7.6 German), the Job
gets accepted by Desktop Printing (The Icon changes to the 'busy-printer')

and my mac just waits (status: print spooler processing job) (It does NOT
hang however!) The Job can be deleted from the queue on my mac.

After a few seconds, I get the entry in /var/adm/messages

Jan 26 20:00:33 sokrates papd[184]: child 325 killed with 11

And my mac complains that the print-job failed because of an
communication-problem.

I have no IDEA whatsoever could be wrong. I would be VERY grateful if
somebod could give me a hand!

Thanks in advance

Lukas Karrer

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
 	        Lukas Karrer           Email: [email-masked]
 	          		       WWW: http://www.trash.net/
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
     Check out the stinkiest site on the web!      Get a sniff from
www.trash.net

---

From: Edan Idzerda <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 14:46:28 -0500 (EST)

This sounds very much like the behavior I get when trying to use a 
printer driver on the Mac other than "LaserWriter 8."  Specifically,
I have always wanted to use "HP Color LaserJet 5M" but whenever I print
with that driver... *tick*tick*tick*tick*.  No dice.

I've wrote on this issue before and I don't believe anyone has ever 
responded.  Though, I've never sat down to work it out either.

- edan

---

From: Albert Lai <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 11:25:51 -0500

I think that this sounds like the memory allocation in the Get Info for
your Desktop PrintMonitor is too small.

>> Jan 26 20:00:33 sokrates papd[184]: child 325 killed with 11

                                                 \\\|||///
                                                 |       |
                                                (  @   @  )
********************************************oooO****(_)****Oooo*********
* Albert Lai         SEAS Columbia University                          *
* Wien Residential Computer Consultant                                 *
* e-mail: [email-masked]     http://www.columbia.edu~aml61         *
*         [email-masked]     http://amlai.wien.rhno.columbia.edu   *
* AOL:    [email-masked]      5637 SW 38th St.                      *
* 601/2 Wien Hall                Topeka, KS 66610-1259                 *
* 411 West 116th St.             Ph: (913)273-6780                     *
* New York, NY 10027-7201                       .oooO                  *
* Ph: (212)853-7575                             (   ) Oooo.            *
*************************************************\ (  (   )*************
                                                  \_)  ) /
                                                      (_/