Subject: [netatalk-admins] one more time

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 16:09:13 -0700 (PDT)

okay,

here's another trial. in this set
(<ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/pre-asun2.1.0-12.tar.gz>),
the following things should be fixed:
    1) installations under linux.
    2) pam password changing and hopefully logins. the code i had
       grabbed for PAM conversations turned out not to work properly. 
       
let me know if it works for you. i'd also like to know if solaris PAM
works now. 

-a

---

From: Cameron Hart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 14:55:53 +1300

Hi there, I've built up pre-12 and played around with the password
changing facility a bit. I still haven't had any success changing a
password using PAM. I am using Clear Text authentication on netatalk,
-setpassword and -savepassword are in afpd.conf. I have netatalk pam
config file in /etc/pam.d/netatalk. When I click the Change Password
dialog in the chooser, I get to type in my old password, and the new
one, then re-enter the new one. I always get an error message back
saying, "Sorry the old password you entered was incorrect, please start
again". In syslog my password attempt shows up as

Oct 16 22:51:23 stargate PAM_pwdb[297]: check pass; user unknown

netatalk doesn't seem to leave a message.

Unlike before, I am not getting disconnected when this happens.

I am using RedHat 5.1, PAM and shadow passwords.

Hope all this helps,

Cam.

---

From: Dejan Ilic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 13:51:18 +0200 (MET DST)

Sparc Solaris 2.6 still doesn't work with PAM. I have problems getting
a core-dump (only works sometimes) so I cant tell it it dumps on the
same place (PAM_open_session) but the symptons are the same

One more problem noticed. There are large gaping holes in manual-pages
like afpd.8, probably more that I haven't seen yet.

Then there are all those functions that return values but don't define
it in the function header. Not good as the compiler might do it wrong.

example:
#endif

clrtxt_login(obj, ibuf, ibuflen, rbuf, rbuflen )
    AFPObj      *obj;
    char        *ibuf, *rbuf;
    int         ibuflen, *rbuflen;
{
........

    }
    return AFPERR_NOTAUTH;
.....

}

Third thing:
 SHADOWPW should be enabled by default on Solaris. But I can't find it
 defined in sys/solaris. Is it defined or not ?

So much for now.
Dejan