Subject: [netatalk-admins] pre-patch available

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 10:59:19 -0800 (PST)

hi there,

here's the deal:
       1) i got a little obsessed last night and re-tooled the
          underlying layers for afp/tcp to get rid of unnecessary
          pointer dererences and lighten things a bit. it doesn't do
          much on 10BaseT networks, but it seems to improve throughput
          on 100BaseT networks a bit (using helios lantest).

       2) i also stuck in incomplete stubs for sendfile() to make
          things even better.

       3) for people having hanging clients, i need your client os
          setup. run the system profiler and tell me the nitty
          gritty. also, when i mean "hang," i mean that the syslog
          will report afpd got killed/exited and didn't just time out. 

       4) for both hanging and "stuck" clients (i.e., afpd times out),
          send me your server specs as well. the only report i looked
          into turned out to be an old linux dev kernel.

       5) for those in the #3 or #4 category, sending me the tail end
          of an strace -p <child pid> log would be useful. that way
          i'll know for sure if you're in the #3 or #4 category.

       6) oh yeah, this is going to end up being asun2.1.1 instead of
          asun2.1.0a. it also allows me to reset my pre-patch count!

where to get it:
  <ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/pre-asun2.1.1-1.tar.gz> 

-a