Subject: [netatalk-admins] HELP! Problems with Appletalk on Linux PPC

From: Ari Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 16:22:37 -0500

I have been trying to get appletalk working on a PowerMac 7200 running
LinuxPPC. Everytime that I start up appletalk I receive the following
errors:

[root@spare1 etc]# /usr/local/atalk/etc/rc.atalk
Starting Appletalk fileserver...
AppleTalk not up! Child Exited with 1.
atalkdnpb_rgstr :Connection timed out
Can't register spare1:Workstation@*
nbp_rgstr :Connection timed out
Can't register spare1:netatalk@*
   nbprgstr.

I have read through the mailing list and the FAQ and found all of these
errors on there. The FAQ stated that they were occurring because Appletalk
was already running. So, I went back and rebooted the Kernel in stripped
down mode with no network and no appletalk. Then I tried to run AppleTalk
again. Again, I got the same message. Any clue here. Your response is
greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

	Ari

Ari Berman
LAN Administrator
TICAM Networking
(512) 475-8635 or (512) 784-1119 (cell phone)
University of Texas at Austin