Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] 8.5 and netatalk+asun [RTFM]

From: Harry Zink <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 22:43:44 -0700

>I'm seeing no net gain.
>Same speed as 8.1.

a) you will not see any significant speed gains if your network is 10 
base-T.
b) 8.5's network speed gains are mostly apparent when using IP 
connections under 100 base-T
c) This is clearly stated in many of the write-ups and reviews of 8.5.

I see quite a speed difference in transfering files under 8.5 - using 100 
base-T.

Harry

---

From: "William R. Dickson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 22:54:13 -0700

>c) This is clearly stated in many of the write-ups and reviews of 8.5.

I actually see some pretty darn significant speed gains, not only over my
10baseT network but, in fact, when doing AppleShare transfers to my
netatalk server over a 128K ISDN link -- especially when copying many small
files.

Dunno why.  I didn't expect it.

-Bill

--
 William R. Dickson -- Consuming the Earth's limited resources since 1968
 [email-masked]   < >   http://www.awenet.com/~wrd/   < >   ICQ: 14117523