Subject: [netatalk-admins] [OT] Postscript Printers? QMS or HP?

From: Garth Gillespie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 12:20:55 -0800

I am looking to buy a new 11x17 capable B/W printer as one of our 3 year
old HP 4MV's is on its last leg.  I have also been looking at QMS printers
and was wondering about any of your preferences or experiences.  It seems
to be coming down to the QMS 2060EX or the HP 8100DN.  It will be used 99%
of the time for Postscript documents from 10-150MB.  We don't have any
Scitex RIP equipment so I plan to load up the printers with the maximum ram
they can handle, as well as the hard drive accessories.

Thanks in advance.

Garth Gillespie
Computer Currents Magazine
http://www.currents.net

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 13:47:07 -0800 (PST)

I dont have experience with the QMS, but I have done research on the
8000/8100 N based macines. If you get an 8000DN then it should have the HP
JetDirect Card built into it. I have checked with HP on these print
servers, and they do not provide *direct* SMB/NetBIOS based support for
windows 95 like they do for AppleTalk based Macs. LPR support is also
built into them for network printing for machines that can send to unix
based print server ques. I think the 8000 series could be upgraded to 196
Mb of RAM.

The advantage with lpr support is that with MacOS 8.x and the new printer
driver/managers that are available, you can print from a mac to many lpr
based print servers (though it is not as easily done as using the
chooser.)

There are however problems with using the JetDirect cards that were
discussed in a recent BUGTRAQ post and some posts on the JetDirect from
about 2 weeks ago. HP did offer some patches for some of their JetDirect
accessories, but you may want to look into it in greater detail.

I am biased towards HP printers, but that could be because we mostly have
HP printers... Or could it be that we have mostly HP printers because I am
biased towards them? hmmm...

Hope this offers some help.

-M

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Garth Gillespie wrote:

> Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 12:20:55 -0800
> From: Garth Gillespie <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [netatalk-admins] [OT] Postscript Printers? QMS or HP?
>