Subject: [netatalk-admins] Some questions

From: Neil McAllister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:42:22 -0800

1.  I notice in the README.LINUX file that comes with the netatalk
distributions, it says something about installing a patch (provided in the
sys/linux directory) to enable deleting of interfaces.  Unfortunately, I've
not seen this patch present in the last few asun distributions.  What is
it?  What does deleting interfaces do for you?  Why do you want it?  Does
it matter?

2.  Is netatalk-asun over IP happy with SYN cookies, RST cookies etc?  Does
it make a difference?

3.  In the AppleShare Client Setup utility, I notice there is an option to
change the "tickle" interval on ASIP servers.  It suggests that changes to
this value should correspond to changes on the server side.  How does
netatalk-asun handle these "tickles"?  Can you change the interval value on
a netatalk server that supports ASIP?  Again, does it matter?

Basically, I'm still trying to track down the source of the "Server
Unexpectedly Shut Down" messages I'm getting when running Retrospect
backups to a netatalk shared server.  I don't seem to be able to stay
connected to the server unless I configure AFPVolumes with the -notcp
option.  I have no idea why that should be.

--
Neil McAllister, Systems Administrator
Primo Angeli Inc., San Francisco, CA, USA
http://www.primo.com  mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Jesse Reynolds <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 22:33:56 +1030

Hi there

Sorry this is like way off topic, but a friend of mine installed MacOS 8.5
a couple of weeks ago it corrupted his hard drive... Many other people have
reported similar things. You may want to reconsider before installing 8.5,
in particular check out the words on Macintouch, and read my friend's email
below...

cheers

jesse

PLEASE DISTRIBUTE

Apple have released a fizzler of a system that they still refuse to
acknowledge
I have fallen victim to the error (10 days ago) after installing in
Melb. I first thought it was GAX virus, but not so.
NOTE: the error is not hfs+ specific.

Oct. 29 http://www.macintouch.com/
We appreciate the thousands of responses to our Mac OS 8.5 DiskDamage
Survey, and the results helped eliminate some simple theoriesabout the
source of the problem. We're now reviewing survey comments andemail in
detail, and we'll continue to offer advice that may help avoid
theproblem, until we can isolate the causes and identify proven
solutions:

1.We suggest disabling Mac OS 8.5's automatic invocation of Disk  First
Aid immediately after a crash by using the Shift key to turn  extensions
off at startup. Save any important files to a backup before  allowing
Disk First Aid to run.

2.As noted previously, we recommend putting the Virtual Memory  swap
file on its own partition, or better yet, disabling VM.

3.Consider waiting for a while to enable Sherlock's disk indexing
system, particularly if your free disk space is limited, because
Sherlock indexing is new, and it stresses the disk subsystem heavily.

4.We strongly recommend disabling hard-drive sleep in the Energy  Saver
control panel (set it to "Never") on Macs other than  PowerBooks.
>(NOTE: this is the one that got FTR)<

5.Disable the Iomega driver unless you have a specific need for it, and
try temporarily disabling it if you encounter problems and you're also
using an Iomega drive.

6.Alsoft says that its PlusMaker utility cannot be involved in the
problem, but we recommend avoiding any extra layers of complexity
related to disks and partitions. More succinctly, we recommend
reformatting your disk and restarting before Mac OS 8.5 installation,
avoiding the use of any non-essential disk utilities in the process.

http://www.macintouch.com/m85_diskdamage.html