Subject: [netatalk-admins] getppdent: line too long

From: David Kulp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:16:09 -0700 (PDT)

I've just installed netatalk, and each time a job is spooled I'm
getting a papd syslog error "getppdent: line too long".  Despite this
error, papd successfully spools the job to lpd.

I've found the offending source code which appears to be reading the
papd.conf file (and possibly printcap, too)?

        if ( p[ strlen( p ) - 1 ] != '\n' ) {
            syslog( LOG_ERR, "getppdent: line too long" );
            continue;
        }

This looks like a case where the code doesn't accept a final line
without a carriage return, but I've checked both of these files and
there is no such offending lines in either.  (Nor are there any
long lines.)

Any comments?  I'm loathe to debug the code.

thanks in advance,
David Kulp

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 15:04:34 -0400

> From:    David Kulp <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> papd.conf file (and possibly printcap, too)?

It's actually reading your ppd file.  I'd bet that your ppd file uses
CR instead of LF for end of line.

:wes

---

From: David Kulp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 13:28:11 -0700 (PDT)

> CR instead of LF for end of line.

Excellent, Wes.  I grabbed the mac PPD versions from the Adobe web
site, since I don't have a windows machine to run the self-exploding
.exe archive.  I though PPD was a pure binary file, but on closer
inspection I see that it's a mix.  A sed script should set me right.

cheers,
-david.

---

From: Steven Bonneville <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 16:24:47 -0500 (CDT)

> inspection I see that it's a mix.  A sed script should set me right.

A tip: if the .exe file is a self-extracting .zip archive, usually the
Unix "unzip" command is able to deal with the file without trouble.
No windows machine needed.  :)

  -- Steve Bonneville