Subject: [netatalk-admins] restarting afpd

From: Keith Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 17:16:38 +0000

Hi netatalkers..

I have a newbie question: how can I restart afpd with the least disruption
to my users?

I have a version running doing CR/LF translation, and people don't want
that. So I make a new version with translation off... if I kill the
original root process & restart, will things operate smoothly, so that each
person who reconnects gets the new version, while others continue to use
the old one?

Thanks
Keith Clarke

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 12:56:55 -0800 (PST)

> person who reconnects gets the new version, while others continue to use

If you kill the afpd process, any logged-in users will be disrupted.

Someone mentioned a clever thing to do in this case. Leave the old afpd
running, but use nbpunrgstr to un-register the fileserver's entry from the
nbp tables. Then start the new afpd. It will fire up, and register itself
with nbp (so it shows up in the chooser), and all new connections will go
to it. But all old connections are still ok with the old server.

Then tell all your users to log out and then back in. Kill the old afpd
after a few days.

Take care,

Bill