Subject: [netatalk-admins] isdn auto-dialup

From: Griesmayer Andreas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 23:49:24 +0100

hi, 

i have a small network with a couple of macs (OS8.5 i think) and one
win95 PC. i use a linux-server with isdn auto-dialup as gateway to the
internet and as fileserver for the pc(samba) and the macs (netatalk
1.4b2+asun).
it seems like the server opens a line when a mac starts up or querys the
network for volumes. - why ? how can i stop this ? 

since netatalk 1.4b i also have the problem that the macs logg on the
server twice (because of ddp & tcp/ip ? ) - how can i stop this ?!?

you see, im a mac(+netatalk)-rooky and would be glad to get some tips
soon 

TIA, gismo

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:11:10 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Griesmayer Andreas wrote:
> Subject: [netatalk-admins] isdn auto-dialup
> 
> hi, 
> 
Why:
Auto-dialup (like with diald) work like this:
You create a set of rules that are used to tell diald when watching the
network to bring up the connection. For example, a WWW , telnet,
ftp, connection request throught e default gateway should bring up the
connection, while a request on your LAN that is not designated to go out
the router/home-linux-box should not bring up the connection.
I would suspect that either a request like rDNS or other query is being
performed by netatalk or your network statup scripts that is interpreted
by your demand dialer as a packet desined for the outside world.

How to stop this?:
1) Disable demand dialing or
2) Create a rule set that will not allow the network traffic that causes
the link to come up, to bring the link up. (This can be done by running a
packet sniffer to watch and see what packets are causing the link to come
up, or by reading the scripts, and then source code of your client.) or
3) Read through the docs on the demain dialer you are using to see how it
works. (this is a good idea, since others may have had this problems, and
there may be a section in the readme/docs that will tell you how to solve
this problem.

There may be other ways to stop this, but these are three suggestions off
the top of my head...

I do not have much experience with Red Hat (mostly *old* slackware, *old*
debain, and the new debian.)

Hopefully, someone else on this list will know what demand dialer you are
using, and be able to offer you a fix. 

> server twice (because of ddp & tcp/ip ? ) - how can i stop this ?!?
Logs on twice? Could you elaborate on this?

> you see, im a mac(+netatalk)-rooky and would be glad to get some tips
Well, this is a good list, and is full of people more skilled than
Me. Netatalk question are welcome. :)