Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Re: AppleTalk routing

From: "Stefan Bethke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 15:43:31 +0100

--On Sam, 17. Jan 1998 21:06 Uhr -0500 "Amitai Schlair"
<[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Despite my total lack of experience with and understanding of AppleTalk
> internals, I managed to hack my way partly there.

If you don't want to get your network admins *really* angry at you, shut
down atalkd immediately.

> Despite my inexperience, I'm pretty sure my ae1 netrange setting is why
> I can't see the machines on the LAN... but I can't get anything at all
> when I set it properly (25-50).

25-50 in this case is the only one known to be definitly wrong for your
private net.

> I'm also getting a lot of messages on the console:

I bet. There are probably conflicts in the network.

> and so on. I hope I'm not making an AppleStorm on the LAN! How can I fix
> all this to work properly?

Ask your admins. This is the only way to get it right without (possibly)
bringing down the entire AppleTalk network.

For hints, you can take a look at
http://www.promo.de/people/stefan/netatalk/router.html

Hope this helps,
Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. +49-40-851744-18
+ Systemberatung GmbH   |  Fax. +49-40-851744-44
Eduardstrasse 46-48     |  e-mail: [email-masked]
D-20257 Hamburg         |  http://www.Promo.DE/

---

From: [email-masked] (Stephen C. Trier)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 11:32:43 -0500

Amitai,

Your first step, before all else, is to contact your network managers.
Experiments with routing on a live campus network can disrupt network
access for thousands of people.  This is unacceptable.

This applies to ALL networks, not just CWRUnet.  You cannot possibly
set up an AppleTalk router safely without coordinating with whoever
manages routing for the entire network.  Don't try it.  Take the time
to find the routing manager and talk to them BEFORE you start
experimenting.

           Stephen Trier
           CWRUnet Communications Engineering group

-- 
Stephen Trier  KG8IH        "[I]t's time to put your power supply under the
Work: [email-masked]     cardboard pyramid in the fridge with the oranges
Home: [email-masked]        and razor blades under it."
                                               - [email-masked]