Subject: [netatalk-admins] No response from server

From: KHOO Guan Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 19:36:36 +0800 (SGT)

Arrrgh. I need more help.

On the mac, when I selected chooser and AppleShare, the linux box name
comes up. When I select it and click open, I get a dialog saying:
No response from server. Please try again.

On the linux box, I get these messages in /var/log/messages

afpd(210): refused connect for 192.168.0.2
afpd(210): dsi_getsess: unknown error (or after a few tries)
afpd(210): dsi_getsess: Interrupted system call.

192.168.0.2 is the address I give to the mac. 

ifconfig shows big numbers for  RX and TX, but 0 for dropped, errors and
overruns.

I think the mac is detected since /proc/net/arp shows it.

Thanks. Sorry, but I can't find any references to dsi_getsess

Richard KHOO Guan Chen
e-mail: [email-masked]
snail-mail: 38-A, Lorong 23, Geylang, Singapore 388372

---

From: Jason Armstrong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 16:55:17 +0200 (SAT)

Hi

I am having a problem with netatalk and FreeHand7. I am using
netatalk-1.4b2-1 which I installed on my Linux box (RedHat4.2) using
the netatalk rpm. From the Mac side, the files can be written across
to the Linux machine, but they can't be opened again, the files seem
to be corrupt. This doesn't seem to be happening with FreeHand5 files,
only with the FreeHand7 ones. Are there any patches that I should
apply, or does anyone have any other ideas here?

tia.

	-jason
	----------------------------------------
	www.dart.co.za 		www.datrix.co.za

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 10:13:30 -0800 (PST)

umm, read the first line. the rest are sort of erroneous as a
consequence. it looks like you're running with tcp wrappers and aren't
allowing connections from your host.

-a

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 01:08:57 +0100

Hello Jason,

> apply, or does anyone have any other ideas here?

What happens if You save a file from FreeHand 7 locally, then copy the
file to the Linux machine, copy it back, and then try to open it? What,
if You save locally, then copy to the Linux, the open it from there?

If both of these works, You seem to be caught by CR/LF conversion
conspiring with a 'buggy' FreeHand 7. Remedy: compile netatalk without
CR/LF conversion, and see (and report back, please) if Your problems
persist.

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]

---

From: Jason Armstrong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:44:29 +0200 (SAT)

Hello Andras

Thanks for the help, I think it was the CRLF issue that you mentioned.
I installed netatalk at first using the RedHat rpm, but went and got
the source last night and recompiled commenting out the -DCRLF option
... it seems to be going ok now.

Something else which puzzles me is the nbprgstr and nbpunrgstr
programs, I had to restart my whole computer before it seemed to
register, I can't just stop and restart the atalkd as I would normally
expect using linux. It is S91atalkd in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d. I read in one
of the HOW-TOs that this should be started before networking, which is
S10network. This is a little problematic when administering from a
remote site, I need to reboot the machine, something I have come to
expect from Windows but not from Linux. Or am I getting it wrong?

Thanks.

	-jason

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:31:20 +0000 (GMT)

> expect from Windows but not from Linux. Or am I getting it wrong?

What kernel have you got? IIRC 2.0.33 allows you to delete appletalk 
interfaces, so you can kill the daemons, ifconfig the interface down and
up again, and restart the daemons. Alternatively you can compile the ddp
stuff in as a module, kill the daemons, rmmod the modules, and restart the
daemons. [You'll have to insmod them back before restarting the daemons if
you're not using kerneld].

Er. I think that's all correct. I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm
talking through my hat/have misunderstood the problem.

--
fsck -f -b 8193 /dev/cortex

---

From: Sak Wathanasin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 12:27:56 +0000

In reply to a sun's message of the 09/03/98 at 10:13 -0800,

> allowing connections from your host.

It's something to do with permissions, but that's not the full story. I'm
getting the "No response from server. Try later" message, but as far as I know,
my hosts.[allow,deny] are correct or at least tcpdmatch says so. I don't get
any error messages in the log either. The weird thing is that if I click in the
"server address" button, then type in the hostname of the server it allows me
to connect and mount my volumes. I suspect that it's a MacOS 8.1 feature,
though I couldn't swear to it (someone else reported a similar problem with
7.6).

At the moment it's just an irritation (no auto-mount on startup for example),
so I haven't put much effort into this, but when I have some time, I'll put a
sniffer on and see what I can find.

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited
178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

Internet: [email-masked]
Phone: (+44) 1203 419996                    Fax: (+44) 1203 690690

---

From: KHOO Guan Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 18:51:36 +0800 (SGT)

> allowing connections from your host.

Yes, you are correct. I have forgotten that I have tcp_wrappers. Didn't
understand what it was the last time I looked at it, so it kind of slipped
my mind. Anyway, I have edited my /etc/hosts.allow and have connection to
the mac now. 

Thanks for everything.  

Richard KHOO Guan Chen

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:25:29 +0100

Hello Jason,

> expect from Windows but not from Linux. Or am I getting it wrong?

I suspect, You should upgrade your kernel. Previous kernels have a but
regarding appletalk, which prevents clean appletalk interface shutdown.
Although You might compile appletalk as a module and unload/reload that,
You would be better off with a newer kernel.

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]