Subject: [netatalk-admins] so, i have this persistent DID database...

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:29:32 -0800 (PST)

hi all,

i've gotten persistent did support working. before i let the masses
test it, i need to implement bits of AFP 2.1 that can take advantage
of it, and i need to write a couple utility programs to sweep through
and rebuild/cleanup the database. it's also non-compliant with apple
specs in the sense that i allow DID's to wrap around 2^32 and try for
any deleted DIDs that may exist. assuming you don't actually have 2^32
- 3 files, that would allow it still to be useful in some far distant
year from now.

one of the things i would like to do is to have it work for read-only
volumes. my current thought was just to specify a root mirror
directory. the database would then go through and create a mirrored
structure of your volume path. so, if you're sharing
/home/blah/blah/blah and specified a mirror directory of /mirror, you
would end up with /mirror/home/blah/blah/blah/.AppleDB as the main
database directory. comments?

fyi, sherlock didn't get fixed by this. actually, i'm pretty sure
sherlock is misinterpreting something. it's asking for something
totally bogus from afpd.

-a