Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] AppleShare on IP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 98 17:29:13 PST

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Jonas Blomberg wrote:

> Now that the client side of AppleShare on IP has been available from Apple
> for quite some time, supporting MacOS versions from 7.5.3 onwards (if I am
> not mistaken), isn't it time to consider simply scrapping all the AppleTalk
> support in netatalk? I know that this may sound a bit provocative, but I
> would guess that only a very tiny portion of Macs actually connected to
> netatalk servers is unable to run the necessary Appleshare client software.

In my experience it isn't as simple as just having the IP AppleShare client.  I
have several MacOS applications that seem to be incompatible with ASIP, and
require a DDP connection to be "forced" when mounting volumes that the
applications will use.  These are very old apps, but I wouldn't still be using
them if there were some easy way to upgrade.  The point is, even having the IP
client and the newest MacOS doesn't necessarily eliminate all need for
AppleTalk.

Bob Smith
Hammett & Edison, Inc.
[email-masked]

---

From: Andrew McNabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:43:25 -0600

However, at least with some versions of AppleShare, it will automatically
connect to the IP server, which is faster.

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Laurent PELLISSIER wrote:

> À (At) 18:48 +0100 19/03/98, Jonas Blomberg écrivait (wrote) :
> 
> 	Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that with the chooser of MacOS 8, if
> you want to connect to an IP AFP server you have to enter its address
> instead of choosing it in the proposed list as we do with AppleTalk based
> AFP. This is far from being user friendly for almost all of my users, even
> if we can make an alias of the server later and drop it on the desk. Happy
> spring !
> 
> 
> Laurent PELLISSIER @ Ecole des Mines d'Ales
> 
> 

----------------------------------------------
                Andrew McNabb
             Argus Systems Group
          [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------
  I am an International Arms Trafficker!!!!!
http://online.offshore.com.ai/arms-trafficker/
----------------------------------------------