Subject: [netatalk-admins] test and problems with RedHat 5.1 on Intel

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 18:03:53 -0400 (EDT)

I just joined this mailing list. 

I am am trying to compile netatalk on RedHat 5.1 (with all of its updates)
and I am having severe problems doing it. Whether I try the stable or beta
versions, I run into different compile problems. 

Before I post the compiling errors, may I ask if anyone has sucesfully
compiled and installed netatalk on RedHat 5.1 for intel platform?
And how did you do it?

Thanks!

Mark

---

From: Randy Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:12:16 -0500

> compiled and installed netatalk on RedHat 5.1 for intel platform?

  I found it to be a bitch so I got out the old Slackware machine with non
glibc and it compiled like a dream. There is a pre compiled version for
Redhat on any Redhat mirror in the Redhat Contributed folder it worked for me
except on my network with hubs cascading together. So I'm using the version I
did.

---

From: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:05:49 -0700 (PDT)

I added the latest asun patches and it compiled like a dream on my 5.1 box. 
You've got to make sure you read the READMEs and look over the top level
makefile but that's a snap :).

Marc

> except on my network with hubs cascading together. So I'm using the version I

----------------------------------
E-Mail: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: 16-Jul-98
Time: 23:03:41

This message was sent by XFMail
----------------------------------

---

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Jul 1998 11:25:44 +0300

> compiled and installed netatalk on RedHat 5.1 for intel platform?

Just download the RPM from Red Hat's contrib directory. Admittedly, I
made it for RH 5.0 and haven't yet tested 5.1, but I don't see why it
wouldn't work.

-- 
A fool and his guilt are soon parted.
Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>

---

From: Jonathan Benson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 16:27:32 +1000

First off get:
 ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/pub/user-supported/asun/pre-asun2.1.0-3.tar.gz

Then change the sys/linux/Makefile as follows (ie # commented line is the old
one):
#DEFS= -DNEED_QUOTACTL_WRAPPER
DEFS= -DUSE_PAM

#AFPLIBS=
AFPLIBS=-lpam -ldl

Now modify the main Makefile:

1.    Comment out all the DESTDIR, SBINDIR etc near the top of the file and
uncomment the following lines
SBINDIR=/usr/sbin
BINDIR=/usr/bin
LIBDIR=/usr/lib
RESDIR=/usr/lib/atalk
ETCDIR=/etc
INCDIR=/usr/include
MANDIR=/usr/man

2.     Comment out this line
#DESDIR=/usr/local

That should do the trick.