Subject: [netatalk-admins] Dumb newbie question about groups on linux

From: Scott Sawyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 11:01:35 -0700

How do you set up different sharing groups and make netatalk show them as
options in the Chooser to connect to.  I've gotten netatalk installed and
working but only at the User level and am about to install a VAR server
3000 from VA Research and I have yet to figure out groups.  Where am I
sucking.

Thank you for your time.

Scott Sawyer
Office Automation Specialist Sr.
Northern Arizona University
Publication Services
phone:  (520) 523-0084
fax:	(520) 523 0085

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 21:43:23 +0200

Scott,

> 3000 from VA Research and I have yet to figure out groups.  Where am I

Do You mean zones here? Please describe, where can you see the above
mentioned groups in the chooser?

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 20:12:31 +0000

> 3000 from VA Research and I have yet to figure out groups.  Where am I

The way we do it here is:

make a new group in /etc/group, lets call it newgroup for now...

add all the user's usernames to this group that you want to allow
access to the share we will create in a second.  Such a line in the
/etc/group file looke like this for us...

newgroup::102:dopey,sneezy,grumpy,doc,bashful,happy,sleepy

then you create the actual directory where all their shared files will
exist...

mkdir /home/newgroupshare

then change the ownership and permissions for this directory...

chgrp newuser /home/newgroupshare
chmod 6755 /home/newgroupshare

then add this directory to the /etc/AppleVolumes.default file...

restart the netatalk server and you should now be able to see this
share when you connect to the server. Your users should be able to
log on with their normal username and password.

For security reasons (don't want root owning a lot of stuff that
users have access to) I also do the following...

create a user named "newgroup" and prevent any logins for it with
a password set to "*". I add the user newgroup to the newgroup group
in /etc/group and I use:

chown newgroup.newgroup /home/newgroupshare

this way the entire share is owned by something other than root.

By setting the mod to 6755 the share has the suid and sgid bits set
and this means that when users create folders and files they will
be created as owned by them but with the group the same as the
parent directory. Thus everyone in the group can access the files.

The latest asun patches handle propogating the sgid bit correctly
now. so make sure you have the latest asun patches installed.

- Jeff

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 21:35:46 +0100 (BST)

You'll probably find that the easiest way to do this is to edit
/etc/AppleVolumes.default 

Edit this to contain a list of the paths that you want to show in the
chooser. If you want to give the share point a different name from its
path then put this in quotes on the same line after the path to the share
point. 

-- 
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594
Microsoft - because god hates us