Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Trash problems

From: Sak Wathanasin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 22:46:22 +0100

In reply to a sun's message of the 28/09/98 at 11:31,

> get about 4.5MB/s max throughput w/ 100BaseT in my setup and have
> annoying slowdowns in a linux -> g3 running os 8.1 direction. i
> actually suspect the current mac os of being the culprit, but i need
> to load linux on the g3 to be sure.

I only get around 3 MB/sec (:-(). Apple have promised big performance
improvements in 8.5. Steve Jobs at Seybold claimed that they xfer'ed a 185 MB
file in 17 secs. I'll believe when I can see it...

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited
178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

Internet: [email-masked]
Phone: (+44) 1203 419996                    Fax: (+44) 1203 690690

---

From: Richard Knuckey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 12:50:04 +1200

>file in 17 secs. I'll believe when I can see it...

8600/250 With 8.1 and AppleShare 3.7.x client I get ~7MB Sec
8600/250 With 8.1 and AppleShare 3.8 client I get ~7.6MB Sec

g3 desktop macs have awful PCI speeds (they are basicaly Alchemy
Motherboards, and have the same problems) I would expect no more than
~4-5MB Sec

The trick to speed is SCSI DISKS ON YOUR SERVER, followed by a a N:M:1
relation between CPU/Motherboard and PCI bus speeds, ie CPU at an integer
multiple of Motherboard speed and a motherboard at an integer multiple of
PIC bus. This allows the bridge chips to operate synchronously. (ie Pentium
200 is exactly 3x a 66.66Mhz motherboard, which is exactly 2x the speed of
PCI bus (33.33MHz)

FYI a Pentium 75 is good enough to saturate 10BaseT ethernet using
netatalk+asun

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Knuckey                                    [email-masked]
Technology Manager                                        DDI +649 573 5923
Techniche, a division of Blue Star Print Group Limited    Fax +649 573 1803

---

From: Patrick Herzog <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:31:12 +0000

> FYI a Pentium 75 is good enough to saturate 10BaseT ethernet using

The same is true for a 486DX2-66 with Linux 2.0.30. (1 MB/sec, same as with
Pentium 200)

Patrick
--
Dr.-Ing. Patrick Herzog
-- Oberingenieur --
RWTH Aachen
Institut für Technische Elektronik
Sommerfeldstraße 24
D-52056 Aachen, Germany
http://www.ite.rwth-aachen.de