Subject: [netatalk-admins] Personal LaserWriter NT

From: Karen Noel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 18:31:07 -0400

Hi all,

I have a Personal LaserWriter NT, using the LaserWriter 8 driver v8.3.3.
It is a postscript printer but it is *NOT* Ethernet capable. It is
connected to the Appletalk port, not the serial port. When I print from
my Mac (System 7.5.5) I have to use the Appletalk control panel to switch
from connect via: Ethernet to connect via: Printer Port or printing is not
available. When I switch to the printer port, ethernet is not available.

With not having ethernet AND printing available at the same time,
is it possible to send print jobs from the linux box to the Personal
LaserWriter NT using Netatalk?

TIA

Karen Noel
[email-masked]

---

From: "Douglas M. MacFarlane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 18:07:56 -0500 (CDT)

> LaserWriter NT using Netatalk?

Yes, and no.  The easiest thing would be to buy an
ethernet/localtalk printer converter.  That's what I use, and there
are still a lot of them lying around.  Or you can buy one.  

Short of Routing appletalk on your system, you are out of luck.

Doug

Douglas M. MacFarlane
Principal, Vauban Industries
[email-masked]

---

From: "Brian E. Bothwell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 19:28:00 -0500 (EST)

> LaserWriter NT using Netatalk?

How much of a hassle would it be to hook the printer directly to the Unix
box running Netatalk (via the serial port)?  That way you can configure
the Linux box to print to the Laserwriter (I think this is possible,
since the printer is Postscript) and use Netatalk to share the printer
with your Mac(s). That way you can also share the printer with any
Win95/NT machines you might have if you run SAMBA on the Linux box.
That's what I do at work and it works quite well (Except we have a HP
LaserJet 6MP)

-Brian

PS If you end up doing this, there is a print filter you have to use to
fix some problems when printing from some Mac apps (like Photoshop).  Let
me know and I'll email the filter source to you.

---

From: Ken Brockman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 08:21:57 -0400

>> LaserWriter NT using Netatalk?

You can use LaserWriter Bridge (apple).  It is a control panel that allows
you to use and share an AppleTalk (serial port) laserwriter while also
using EtherTalk.  Its a freebie.

ken