Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] the latest version?

From: Harry Zink <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 10:56:46 -0800

You're on the right track, but I suggest heading over to www.redhat.com 
or ftp.redhat.com, and grabbing the files you need from their site.

Didn't have that problem withRed Hat 5.0 (albeit I'm having other 
issues), and I'm happy to report that the patched version of netatalk 
works just dandy.

Harry
Harry

---

From: Rich Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 14:48:23 -0500

>or ftp.redhat.com, and grabbing the files you need from their site.

Oh, yeah, I've been up and down of the redhat sites trying to figure out
just what packages I need - it seems that what I'm lacking is
glibc-2.0.5c-10.

What are the dangers here regarding RedHat 5.0 C libraries on a RedHat 4.2
system? Are my existing programs going to break?

  -- Rich Martin                       --= [email-masked] =--
     Data Wrangler, Planet Interactive

---

From: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 23:21:06 -0800

> just what packages I need - it seems that what I'm lacking is

Ok, whoa...

The way I understand it (I'm not a Linux programmer, just a Linux user...)
adding the glibc libs to a systems isn't just a haphazard thing unless you
really like destroying most of the apps you've already compiled.

Red Hat 4.2 is a libc setup while Red Hat 5.0 is a glibc setup... they don't
alway mix.  It sounds like you were shopping in the 5.0 section of Red Hat
:).

What you should do is either learn how to patch Un*x programs (yes, so soon
:)) or grab the already-patched Netatalk/asun source from asun's FTP site at:
ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/ and compile that.

Cheers,
Marc

--
Marc Matteo
Web Engineer, The Sacramento Bee
http://www.sacbee.com

---

From: KHOO Guan Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 19:59:12 +0800 (SGT)

> system? Are my existing programs going to break?

Er.. are you using the rpm that came with RH 4.2? If so upgrade your rpm
to rpm-2.4.10-1 and try again.

Cheers 

Richard KHOO Guan Chen
e-mail: [email-masked]
snail-mail: 38-A, Lorong 23, Geylang, Singapore 388372