Subject: [netatalk-admins] Permission Settings on shared folder??

From: Harry Zink <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:43:56 -0800

If I wanted to set up a shared folder, in addition to the individual user 
folders, how do I need to set the permissions on that folder?

Thanks,

Harry

---

From: Hannu Krosing <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 16:40:40 +0300

> folders, how do I need to set the permissions on that folder?

usually it is done by 

mkdir shared_folder
chgrp user_group shared_folder
chmod g+ws shared_folder

then all files copied to or created in shared_folder will be owned 
by group user_group. the owner will still be the user who created them, 
but they will be accessible to others.

Cheers,
Hannu

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 20:15:20 +0200

> but they will be accessible to others.

It is often a good idea to set the sticky bit, so that no-one can
delete other users' files.

For some folders I even use chmod 1777. So everyone can read and write
and execute, but can only delete his own files. I'm not sure if
all unix filesystems support this use of sticky bit for directories,
but Linux' ext2fs and BSD's FFS do.

-- 
Bernd Sieker