Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: Which architecture for x86?

From: Jarrod Stenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 08:56:34 -0500

Hello,

I am about to build another Unix system with a Compaq Prosignia 300 and
have decided on other Red Hat or FreeBSD.  This system will be put to
work as an application server for several macs in a lab and some windows
machines.  Which flavor will permit me to get the most out of Netatalk?

I don't mean to start a debate about which is the best overall.  I
simply want to know which will run Netatalk best where I can get the
most out of it.  AFPFS (is that what it's called?) is very appealing to
me and I understand that it is available only for Linux. BUT FreeBSD is
what one of my heavily cgi-based sites runs on and I would like to use
the Perl compiler will be handy (the cgi site does not have it and I am
not a SysAdmin there).  So FreeBSD is appealing for an unrelated reason
but that reason weighs in.

Please give me any advice you may have.

Regards,
-jarrod

---

From: Julian Elischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 11:17:53 -0700 (PDT)

I will not comment on Linux other than to say "it works"
I did the port of netatalk's kernel stack to freeBSD.
We use it regularly and it works too.

the usual rule regarding Linux/FreeBSD applies:
"they are both very similar and both work well, use whichever you are more
comfortable with."

BTW FreeBSD 2.2.5 cdrom needed a patch for netatalk to work properly. 
(availabel from the freebsd site) 2.2.6 seems to work just fine 
'out of the box' 
and there is both a a "port" and a "package" for netatalk.
(for those no FreeBSD people, a 'port' is a set of diffs to make the
externally available source copile, while a 'package' is precompiled
binaries similar to a commercial installable package)

> but that reason weighs in.

there is a program called vmount that lets FreeBSD use any Linux
filesystem types so what is available for one is available for the other.
(you'll need to search the freebsd archive to find the vmount reference,
as I haven't got it handy)