Subject: [netatalk-admins] More help with ASUN21 on Solaris26

From: Kao Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 17:30:48 -0600

Thanks to all of you who helped me diagnosing my problem.  Unfortunately,
the problem persists and I am looking for additional help.  Here is my
situation:

Solaris 2.6 on Ultra 10 trying to run Netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.1.0.

Following the README and instructions from others, I have done the
following steps:

1. commented out PAM, DES, TCPWrapper, AFS and Kerberos support in the top
level Makefile.
2. Added -DSHADOWPW flag in the etc/afpd/makefile.
3. Compiled.
4. make kinstalled.
5. make installed.
6. Copied config/atalkd.conf to my /usr/local/atalk/etc and added "hme0" to
the file.
7. Copied config/AppleVolumes.default and AppleVolumes.system to
/usr/local/atalk/etc dir.
8. added lines in /etc/netconfig and /etc/services and double checked a few
times.
9. Added /etc/shells file.
10. Started atalkd, afpd, papd using /etc/init.d/atalk start command.
NOW:
11. Access the server from a Mac client (System 8.1 or 8.0): guest access
is ok but no volume is shown.  When access as a "registered user," with a
wrong password I get "password incorrect, please reenter."  With the
correct password I get "The connection to this server has been unexpectedly
broken."

Is anyone experiencing similar problems?  Any thoughts and suggestions are
greatly appreciated.

For information only, the machine has Samba installed and running.

Kao

---

From: "Scott R. Every" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 19:35:07 -0500

make sure the the Apple* files are world readable...
I think the ones that are shipped are not...

s

> For information only, the machine has Samba installed and running.

Scott R. Every               "...when I lost my mind...I knew I was
 EMJ Internet                  in for a long ride." Smashing Pumpkins
 voice : 1-800-548-2319  fax : 1-919-363-4423  mailto:[email-masked]
 WWW - http://www.emji.net  

Do you believe in Macintosh? Learn how to help the cause by 
subscribing to the "EvangeList" listserver! Send email to:
<[email-masked]> or go to: 
<http://www.solutions.apple.com/ListAdmin/>

---

From: Yuji Shinozaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:36:46 -0500 (EST)

One generic way to narrow down what the daemon is doing when it fails is
to run a truss on the running daemon. 

Try this:

Find the pid of the daemon using something like:

	ps -ef | grep afpd

Then (as root) truss that process, and redirect that output somewhere to
examine it later. 

	truss -fp <the PID of afpd> >& /tmp/truss.log

(this redirection syntax applies to csh or tcsh).

Try connecting via your Appleshare client and check the truss output to
see what it is doing (or trying to do). Oftentimes this will lead to the
cause of errors.  The output of truss is often voluminous and hard to read
at first but you will get used to it. 

yuji
----

> For information only, the machine has Samba installed and running.

Yuji Shinozaki		        Systems Administrator
[email-masked]	        Dept of Physics and Astronomy
http://www.physics.unc.edu      Univ. of North Carolina - CH
(919)962-7214 (voice)           CB 3255 Philips Hall
(919)962-0480 (fax)	        Chapel Hill, NC  27599

---

From: David Winkel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:44:03 -0500 (EST)

> (this redirection syntax applies to csh or tcsh).

Not to get sticky on syntax, but "truss -o /tmp/truss.log -fp <PID>" works
better.  (o is for output file)

Note that truss is only available on Solaris 2.x.

 ~~~~
           [email-masked]               UofM/ITD Web Services
                      University of Michigan Webmaster

             Information Super Landfill?  I don't think it exists.