Subject: [netatalk-admins] Changing default view of volumes

From: "Povl H. Pedersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 12:13:59 +0200

Here we have decided that the top level view when opening a folder should
be auto-arrange by name, small icons.

How do I do this on netatalk ? On NT i just logged in as admin, changed it,
and logged out, and I had the default view for everybody
---
Povl H. Pedersen   -   Chief Technology Officer  -   NetGuide Scandinavia
Phone: +45 8618 1845    Cellular: +45 4093 5511    Fax:   +45 8618 1863
e-mail: mailto:[email-masked]     -    PGP Key ID: 0x8F4BC755

---

From: Cameron Hart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 09:43:59 +1300

I have had hours of fun playing with this :-)

What I have found is you actually need to access the directory above the one
you are trying to set the view for. So, say you are trying to set the view for
/home/joe, you need to log in to a netatalk share to /home as someone who has
privledges to /home/joe. This will create a .AppleDouble directory in /home.
Once you are in the home share, open the joe folder and set the view. When joe
logs in, providing the unix permissions are all correct, the view should
stick. Now if this all works, and joe has the view you desire as your default,
I recommend copying joes .AppleDouble directory somewhere useful. For example
under RedHat Linux I copy the default folder view to /etc/skel so all new
users get it.

Cam.