Subject: [netatalk-admins] Large Volume Support?

From: Tracy Peek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 98 17:15:19 -0000

Hello Everyone On This List ...

I have a problem I hope that can be solved ... I have installed a 9 gig 
drive in my
server and have made two partitions of just of 4.0 gigs a piece. One for 
appleshare
(netatalk) and one fro Samba (PC Support). If though a "df" shows only 21 
percent
used on the netatalk volume .. the mac client finder shows only 200 megs 
available.

Is this a problem with the finder or with netatalk not showing the 
correct amount
of free space available to the clients ... If netatalk is there a patch 
or fix
during compile?

Tracy Peek
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 09:30:44 +0100 (MET)

On 18 Jan, Tracy Peek wrote:

> I have a problem I hope that can be solved ... I have installed a 9
> gig  drive in my server and have made two partitions of just of 4.0 
> gigs a piece. One for  appleshare (netatalk) and one fro Samba (PC 
> Support). If though a "df" shows only 21  percent used on the netatalk
> volume .. the mac client finder shows only 200 megs  available.

	Hm, looks like a 32 bits problem ...

	There is a problem in MacOS < 8.0 (or is it 7.6?) for
calculating disk & file sizes. 32 bits are not enough. Now, the MacOS
you're using might be supporting large sizes, but Netatalk may still
report them on 32 bits.

> of free space available to the clients ... If netatalk is there a patch 

	I don't know whether netatalks supports large drives; MacOS 8
itself does.

-- 
     Nicolas MONNET <[email-masked]> - Developer, IdeaNet, Paris
               "A nuclear war can ruin your whole day."

---

From: Andrew McNabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:14:37 -0600

> used on the netatalk volume .. the mac client finder shows only 200 megs 

MacOS has some problems with large volumes.  However, the problem depends
on the model of the computer.  Certain types of Macs running 7.5.2 or
later will support any size of a hard drive (up to several terabytes). 
However, anything else has an upper limit that is more restrictive: 4GB. 
Any MacOS system before 7.5 can only support 2GB. 

Apple has several documents relating to this in the TIL:

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/14b806f5b63e5c3386256495005accbb/080c8b10534e844c86256495006261ae?OpenDocument

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/14b806f5b63e5c3386256495005accbb/3997faec66e00b4a8625649500661f98?OpenDocument

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/14b806f5b63e5c3386256495005accbb/244c2208e9767b7a86256495006805ac?OpenDocument

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/14b806f5b63e5c3386256495005accbb/5bfbbe9cf9a32555862564dc00752ded?OpenDocument

> of free space available to the clients ... If netatalk is there a patch 

----------------------------------------------
                Andrew McNabb
             Argus Systems Group
          [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------
  I am an International Arms Trafficker!!!!!
http://online.offshore.com.ai/arms-trafficker/
----------------------------------------------

---

From: jc pryor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 18:06:38 -0800 (PST)

Hello,  

Your average macophile, linux-ignorant newbie here.

I'm trying to install netatalk on a linux box (486) that will serve as a
local server for our 7 macs, and I'm stumped with failed dependencies

(Redhat 4.2)

[root@yserv RPMS]# rpm -i netatalk-1.4b2-lorax4.i386.rpm
failed dependencies:
        /bin/sh is needed by netatalk-1.4b2-lorax4
        libdl.so.2 is needed by netatalk-1.4b2-lorax4
        libc.so.6 is needed by netatalk-1.4b2-lorax4
        ld-linux.so.2 is needed by netatalk-1.4b2-lorax4

Anybody have any clues where I should go next?  I did read the netatalk
HOWTO ... 

jc - the clueless.

---

From: Nate Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 20:49:38 -0600 (CST)

You may want to try installing with '--nodeps'. It could help.. otherwise,
it's time to upgrade libraries. Ask around if you need help doing that..

-Nate Carlson
 the infinite loop
 [email-masked]

---

From: jc pryor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 08:23:38 -0800 (PST)

> it's time to upgrade libraries. Ask around if you need help doing that..

I'll do some sniffing and searching amongst Redhat's
documentations and come back with any questions.  Thanks.  It helps to
have a term to search on!

jc

---

From: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 08:59:02 -0800

>        ld-linux.so.2 is needed by netatalk-1.4b2-lorax4

I believe your problem is you have an RPM that was built for RedHat 5.0 and
you need one for RedHAt 4.2.

Now I'm not sure (I only have a 4.2 setup) but I think that 'libc.so.6' is
a part of the 'glibc' package that RH 5.0 supports.

I'd recommend getting the source and asun's fine patches and compiling them
directly.  That way you won't have any RPM problems and you'll be able to
keep up with the bug fixes (at least someone's doing them :)).

Marc

Marc Matteo
Web Engineer, The Sacramento Bee
(916) 321-1242
http://www.sacbee.com

---

From: jc pryor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 14:26:55 -0800 (PST)

Well I solved this problem, thanks to some helpful pointers from others on
this list... (and the winner of my gratitude award is... Marc Matteo
Web Engineer, The Sacramento Bee - who recommended installing from source.
Done!  And Marc, may I take this opportunity to add that the Sacramento
Bee is my favorite newspaper)

> >        ld-linux.so.2 is needed by netatalk-1.4b2-lorax4

But now I got a new problem. Yserv isn't happy with my socket definitions
for some reason.   

[root@yserv rc.d]# ./rc.atalk
starting appletalk daemons:socket: Invalid argument
 atalkd nbprgstr papd afpd.

Here's the relevant clipping from my services ... Did I do it right? 

rtmp            1/ddp                   # Routing Table Maint. Protocol
nbp             2/ddp                   # Name Binding Protocol
echo            4/ddp                   # AppleTalk Echo Protocol
zip             6/ddp                   # Zone Information Protocol
tcpmux          1/tcp                           # rfc-1078
echo            7/tcp
echo            7/udp

jc

---

From: Walt Bigelow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 00:16:19 -0800

> Apple has several documents relating to this in the TIL:
Sorry to bring this up yet again, but I have 2 PPC's one a 9500 and one
a 7100, both running MacOs 8 (and after reading the apple support pages,
aparently the machines can support up to 4TB.)  I wound up with a
problem in limits of drive size when I mount the netatalk server (Linux
slackware 96/netatalk 1.4b2 with the mac os 8 fix).  It reports 2gig
where I actually have a 32GB raid array available on the file server.  I
have looked through the dist for a compile time option, but have found
none.  What is the trick to make it repor the ACTUAL size? 

Thanks again,
Walt