Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] 'server not responding'?

From: "Fred Lindberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 08:36:02 -0500

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998 00:41:39 -0400, Chip Seraphine wrote:

>I'm running RedHat 5.1 and I managed to get my Linux box to show up in my
>Macs' choosers.  However, when I attempt to access it I get a 'server not
>responding' error.

I had this problem with the package that has the A.Sun patches. It uses
tcp_wrappers. Put:

afpd: ALL PARANOID

into /etc/hosts.allow

Of course, you may want to be more restrictive. You can find all the
info via hosts.allow(5).

-Sincerely, Fred

(Frederik Lindberg, Infectious Diseases, WashU, St. Louis, MO, USA)

---

From: Jonathan Michael Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:33:18 -0500 (CDT)

I also got this problem, immediately after installing 5.1.  Make sure you
have the host machine's address listed in its own /etc/hosts file.

i.e.,

gratuitously-long-hostname.mit.edu	18.9.0.3

Hope this helps!

Jon

> (Frederik Lindberg, Infectious Diseases, WashU, St. Louis, MO, USA)

----
Jonathan Michael Hawkins {}  The main reason Santa is so jolly is
NUMB Altos 1996-????     {}  because he knows where all the bad 
OAS, AAS, LLS!           {}  girls live.   ;)
<mailto:[email-masked]> {}  <http://charlotte.acns.nwu.edu/spiritu>