Subject: [netatalk-admins] Disapearing print jobs

From: Brian Eric Bothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 11:58:49 -0500 (EST)

Has anyone had any problems with print jobs (or random pages from print
jobs) disappearing?

Most of the time, everything seems to be fine, but users are complaining
about missing pages on some of their print jobs.  The printer is an HP
Laserjet 6MP, attached to a WinNT box (and set up as a SMB printer using
the standard Redhat printcfg tools).  I don't think it is a SAMBA problem,
as print jobs from Win95/NT machines to the same printer (via SAMBA) work
fine.

I check the logs and print queues and all seems in order.

I am running netatalk netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2, under Redhat 5.0
(2.0.32) (as well as SAMBA 1.9.18p3)

thanx

-Brian

---

From: Brian Eric Bothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 12:28:28 -0500 (EST)

Some more late-breaking info:

I was grilling some of the users to see what applications they are using,
how they are printing, etc.  and it seems that the problems seem to arise
when two print jobs are send back-to-back.  

-brian

---

From: "Robert O'Kane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 14:39:50 +0200 (CST)

Greetings,

 I've seen a simmilar problem with a pap-spooler(RIP) running
on an NT box. When 2 (or more) apple users tried to send to the
spooler at the same time, the NT box decided to do random things
including dropping jobs / mixing jobs together / crashing NT!!

We 'fixed' it by having all the apple users send to a linux
server and then having the Linux box spool the jobs to the NT
one at a time. With PAP this is easy with the ofwpap (?) link/hack.

Ofcouse we are spooling to the NT server using pap. I havent used
samba for printing but maybe this idea helps.

Good luck,

Robert O'Kane

---------------------------------------------------
WHO   : Robert O'Kane
WHERE : Kunstlergruppe OTHERSPACE
WHAT  : "Founding Member" & Linker
WHY   : http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~okane
HOW   : [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian Eric Bothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 14:02:55 -0500 (EST)

> samba for printing but maybe this idea helps.

I think this must be the problem.  I haven't tried the PAP hack yet, but
we did set up another Linux box running Netatalk, and hooked the HP 6MP
directly to it, and all the print jobs worked fine.  (I would have hooked
the printer up to the main Linux box long ago, but the parallel port is
broken.

I guess the moral of this story is to avoid using NT I can help it! :)

thanx,

-brian