Subject: [netatalk-admins] Multiple zones

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:04:03 +0100

Problem : In a small Netatalk network (1 Linux server, 8 Macs) I want to
provide different services to different machines. I gather from occasional
mentions here that this can be done by using multiple zones but I can't get
that to work. I have tried to define zones in my atalkd.conf with

-zone ZONE1 -zone ZONE2

but contrary to the man page, which says

... reads from it's configuration file, /usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd.conf.
If there is no configuration file, atalkd will attempt to configure all
available interfaces and will create a configuration file.

I have found atalkd ALWAYS rewrites atalkd.conf and never seems to set up
zones. How do I make it do that ? The man page for atalkd further says

to appear in a non-default zone, each service, e.g.  afpd, must
individually
specify the desired zone.

but the man page for afpd doesn't mention zones (is it maybe the -n switch
?)

A further question is what happens in such a situation with AFPD over IP
which this site has just started using. I presume that this multi-zone
business gives the server two aliases (analogous to a web server serving
multiple IPs) in the Appletalk world, but what happens if somebody connects
using AT over IP i.e. "Enter server's IP address" ? What will they then see
 ?

What would be nice would be copies of configuration files and startup
scripts from somebody who has done this :-) Note also that there are no
other AT routers in this network (unless one of the Macs is doing it, but
if
it is, it did it itself, because I surely didn't ask it to.)

Apologies for the length of this - I have read the manuals up and down and
they don't make any sense to me - either I'm stupid or they presume a lot
of
background knowledge I simply don't have - I like to think the latter but
then I would :-)

Kindest regards,

Niall  O Broin

UNIX Network Administrator               Ground Systems Engineering
Department
European Space Operations Centre         [email-masked]
Darmstadt, Germany                 Ph./Fax  +49 6151 90 3619/2179