Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk on SUN

From: Ravi S <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 13:14:37 +0530

I just started getting to know about AppleTalk, and in the process  
came to know about netatalk. I have the following question on netatalk:
Can I run netatalk on two SUN (running sunos 4.1) systems and
make them communicate using AppleTalk? In short, is it possible
to make these two machines behave like two MACs talking to
each other through AppleTalk? 

Best Regards
###################################################################### 
| Ravi Subramanian                |         Email: [email-masked] |
| Texas Instruments (India) Ltd                                      |
######################################################################

---

From: Mike Holling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 00:04:04 -0800 (PST)

> each other through AppleTalk? 

Samba has a SMB to NFS protocol converter called rumba.  Is there anything
like this to use the unix side for an appleshare client?  How about the
equivalent of a smbfs file system? 

- Mike

---

From: David Foster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 11:36:53 -0500

>each other through AppleTalk? 

Kind of a strange thing to want, but so be it.

Netatalk is server-only software, for the most part.  Both of the SUNs 
would be appletalk file servers, but neither would be a client, so you
couldn't access the other machines volumes.

You could do a few minor things, like pinging, etc. across the machines.
Printing would also work, I suppose.

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 17:00:11 +0000 (GMT)

> equivalent of a smbfs file system? 

Um. Linux has afpfs which allows you to mount an appleshared volume, sort
of [there are - or were, last time I looked, lots of issues relating to
resource forks and the like still to be resolved]. I'm not sure if any of
the other unices can mount afp volumes. Although I suppose if you had a
Linux box available, it could re-export the afpfs volume NFS.... [this is 
beginning to sound like a really _really_ icky solution... ]

--
fsck -f -b 8193 /dev/cortex

---

From: Brian Eric Bothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:47:59 -0500 (EST)

> beginning to sound like a really _really_ icky solution... ]

I am having trouble getting the precompiled binary of afpfs to work on my
RH 5.0 system.  I have to us the "-f" option with insmod to get the afpfs
module to load (since it is looking for kernel 2.0.30 and I have 2.0.32)  

When I try and mount a remote share I get this error
----------------------------------------------------

[root@wtlinux:/scratch/afpfs] ./afpmount -u wtuser /mnt/ashare Wizard test
Enter the server password:
afpmount: unexpected AppleTalk error (-9)

----------------------------------------------------

I tried compiling the afpfs source but it dies complaining of parse errors
in /usr/include/linux/atalk.h

Anyone else got afpfs compiled and running on a Redhat 5.0 system?

-Brian