Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] howto: solaris2.6 + asun18.2 (fwd)

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 09:30:13 -0800

Previously...
>	Can I ask you some (probably dumb :-) ) questions? Why do you make
>the kernel mode driver from the Umich Netatalk, rather than from the Asun
>+ 1.4b2? Isn't it the same code?

The kernel code (sys/solaris) is *not* the same in 1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2
and 971027. 971027 is the "beta copy of a new STREAMS module"
mentioned in README.ASUN. You install the STREAMS module from 971027
because it doesn't suffer the Solaris-specific problems that 1.4b2
(and as a result, 1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2) suffer. Note that 971027 isn't
normally used by anyone and isn't even in a "normal" netatalk ftp
directory.

Just a quick note here, the new STREAMS driver works like a charm for
me. Been up a couple days now and all is quiet in my syslog... That's
always a good thing.

>Along that same line, the Asun
>sys/solaris/Makefile seems to enable the Streams module by default.  Why
>does your howto say to add it in?

In the distribution I retrieved, the option is not set. Here are the
relevant lines:

# add -DNEW_STREAMS_MODULE if you're using umich's beta module
DEFS=   -I../../sys/solaris -D__svr4__ -DSOLARIS

So you need to add the required option on the DEFS= line, unless for
odd reasons, it is indeed already set in yours...
_________
mike ([email-masked])
Nobody likes sunburn slappers
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson