Subject: [netatalk-admins] RedHat 5.1 and netatalk problems

From: Doug Carter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 11:11:40 -0700 (PDT)

Since upgrading to RedHat 5.1, I've been having considerable trouble
running netatalk. I am running the latest (?) version from the RedHat
contrib directory: netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0-3.i386.rpm 

File sharing seems to be working OK, but which I try to setup a printer,
the chooser (on the Mac) crashes with a Type 1 error. 68K based Macs
*seem* to be working OK, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Any ideas out there?

TIA,

Doug

---

From: m* <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:36:27 -0500

Regards All!

My Mac admin just pointed out that file the chooser on his 8.1 Mac was
reporting file sizes of 1.4MB for files when the actual file size is
as little as 1800k. Evidently this "reported" file size varies from 
server to server depending on the size of the file system. In the above
example the file system is a 50GB raid. Same case with a Mac running 7.6.1.

I upgraded the server in question to the glibc version of 1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-1  
( the Debian pkg ) and netatalk is performing well making the lives of
Mac users significantly easier :), this issue presents a new problem :( .

( Or does it? )

I haven't checked Adrian's netatalk page yet to see if this is patchable,
but any insight into a solution would be appreciated.

thanks,

mark

---

From: Andrew McNabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:28:33 -0500 (CDT)

> as little as 1800k. Evidently this "reported" file size varies from 

FYI 1800k is greater than 1.4MB.  Simple unit conversion...

> example the file system is a 50GB raid. Same case with a Mac running 7.6.1.

This is why your files might be big.  A 50GB drive is going to make the
minimum file size about a meg (I'm guessing).  Nothing to be worried
about...

----------------------------------------------
                Andrew McNabb
             Argus Systems Group
          [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------
  I am an International Arms Trafficker!!!!!
http://online.offshore.com.ai/arms-trafficker/
----------------------------------------------

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:59:13 -0700 (PDT)

upgrade to appleshare client 3.8. it will ask for disk block
sizes. from what i understand, 3.8 gets confused if given a
0 reply. luckily, my patches to netatalk have reported the correct
number for some time.

-a