Subject: [netatalk-admins] newbie netatalk questions, afpd problems

From: John Huguenard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 07:49:18 -0700

I just installed netatalk-1.3.3-8 via the rpm on my linux redhat 5.0
machine. and have a couple of general questions and comments

1) Pretty impressive!!!
2) Printing works fine, as indicated by the following log entries:

Jun  1 15:05:21 host papd[1062]: child 10296 for "Laserprinter" from 243.244
Jun  1 15:05:39 host papd[10296]: lp_print queued
Jun  1 15:05:39 host papd[1062]: child 10296 done

3) atalkd starts up very slowly.  It seems to take a couple of minutes to
fully initialize. These are the messages issued as it starts:

Jun  2 14:12:26 host atalkd[343]: restart
Jun  2 07:12:27 host kernel: eth0: Setting Rx mode to 1 addresses.
Jun  2 07:12:27 host kernel: eth0: Setting Rx mode to 2 addresses.
Jun  2 14:12:27 host atalkd[343]: zip_getnetinfo for eth0
Jun  2 14:12:27 host atalkd[343]: zip_packet configured eth0 from 243.137  

4) I get many log entries like the following, which are annoying but don't
seem to be causing me any problems:

Jun  1 14:49:56 host atalkd[343]: zip ignoring gnireply from 243.137 (eth0 b2)
Jun  1 14:49:56 host atalkd[343]: zip ignoring gnireply from 243.130 (eth0 b2)
Jun  1 14:49:56 host atalkd[343]: zip ignoring gnireply from 243.208 (eth0 b2)
Jun  1 14:50:09 host atalkd[343]: zip ignoring gnireply from 243.137 (eth0 b2)
Jun  1 14:50:09 host atalkd[343]: zip ignoring gnireply from 243.208 (eth0 b2)
Jun  1 14:50:09 host atalkd[343]: zip ignoring gnireply from 243.130 (eth0 b2)

5) My real problem comes from afpd.  I use the default AppleVolumes.default
file:

~       HOME    

and the default AppleVolumes.system files, but when I try to open
appleshare file services from a powermac in the same zone (the netatalk
server does show up in the appropriate zone with chooser), the power mac
freezes, and I see the following entries in the log file:

Jun  1 15:06:04 host afpd[10302]: session from 243.244:249 on 243.247:129
Jun  1 15:06:04 host afpd[369]: asp_chld 10302 exited 1
Jun  1 15:06:04 host afpd[369]: atp_sreq to (5) 62208.244:250
Jun  1 15:09:15 host afpd[369]: kill: No such process
Jun  1 15:09:15 host afpd[369]: asp_alrm: 10302 timed out     

6) I assume a lot of problems 3,4, and 5 have to do with the huge appletalk
network here at Stanford.  Is there a way I can start up atalkd so that it
ignores most of the rest of the network and just communicates within the
local zone?  Will that solve some of these problems?

thanks in advance for any help anyone might have.
John

John Huguenard
Dept. Neurol. & Neurol. Sci.
Stanford Univ. Sch. Med.
phone:650-725-6666
email:[email-masked]