Subject: [netatalk-admins] How to tell a Mac that the server is going down?

From: Frank Indenk�mpen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:14:22 +0100

I would like to inform the MacIntosh users connected to a Linux server when the
server will be shutdown. Is there any way to pop up a window on the mac with a
message or something like that.

Frank

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 21:38:24 +1000

Frank  Indenkämpen said in [netatalk-admins] How to tell a Mac that the 
server is going down? at 30/Oct/1998 (Fri) 21:14:22.

> message or something like that.

Yes.  When you kill afpd (once), it starts a 5 minute countdown.  It alerts 
all connected Macintoshes that a shutdown is in progress, and that they have 
5 minutes to logout.

After that time, afpd logs them all out and shutsdown.  I think if you kill 
afpd a second time, that's an immediate die! request.

Adrian (or others who know better than I), clarify this if I'm incorrect.

BTW, all of this can be reconfigured at compile time (shutdown interval).

=Rob=

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:00:12 -0500

> From:    PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> all connected Macintoshes that a shutdown is in progress, and that they have 

kill -HUP, yes.  kill -TERM is always immediate down.

> BTW, all of this can be reconfigured at compile time (shutdown interval).

There's also a spec for a more general message system over AFP, tho
afpd doesn't implement it.

:wes