Subject: [netatalk-admins] asun 2.1.0 performance and large volumes (>2GB) with MacOS 7.1

From: Bob Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 15:34:01 -0800 (PST)

Adrian,

We have discovered that MacOS 7.1 systems don't handle large volumes
properly using asun 2.1.0. They display some bizarre amount (usually7
quite smalle). We have found that MacOS 7.5 and later works properly.
have you run into this problem before?

Also we have retrofitted (I'm sure Apple doesn't recommend it) the
Appleshare 3.5.2 (or whatever the latest version is) client into MacOS
7.1 and 7.5 systems so that we can use AppleshareIP. We have also installed
OT 1.1.3 on all systems. We have noticed a significant performance
degradation using the asun 2.1.0 server vs. an NT system setup with
Appleshare (native Appletalk).

We have found that later versions of the MacOS (8.1 and 8.5) don't show
any real performance difference between using the asun 2.1.0 server
and the NT server so the problem seems to be client side related.

Any thoughts?

---
Bob

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 21:28:05 +1000

> have you run into this problem before?

System 7.1 never had support for Volumes >2GB.  (It'd show "negative" free 
space for volumes from 2.0->3.999GB)  7.5.2(?) was the first which provided 
for larger volumes.

> Appleshare (native Appletalk).

It's OK for 7.5.3 systems, actually. (Client version 3.7.2).  As long as you 
have OT 1.1.3 or higher.  It's DEFINITELY not a supported config for 
pre-7.5.2 systems.

> and the NT server so the problem seems to be client side related.

Extremely likely.

Get the Appleshare IP Client Config tool from Apple... (Adrian, is this is 
the FAQ yet?? :) ) and try playing with your buffers/write-behind cache 
sizes.  From a Powerbook 180 thru AsantŽ SCSI Ethernet adaptor, 3.7.2 ASIP 
Client + System 7.5.3 + OT 1.1.3 I get very respectable througput (about what 
FTP gives me, which I consider to be the "benchmark" for theoretical TCP/IP 
performance in "real world" conditions).  It also handles my 4 and 5GB 
volumes perfectly.

=Rob=