Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk broken after network rewire

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 20:59:21 -0400

Recently a couple esteemed colleagues of mine rewired the office 
network, removing an ailing Farrallon Netopia 440 router and transferring
IP routing to an NT box and Appletalk routing to a Quadra 900 running 
system 7.5 (for compatibility reasons).  Now netatalk refuses to start
(this is 1.4b2 with sparc patches running on Red Hat 4.2/sparc kernel
2.0.33 on a SPARCstation IPC), usually exiting with an "Appletalk not
up!  Child exiting with 1" error followed by a connection timeout and
an NBP unable to register error and something like "Workstation *@".

Upon the reconfiguration of the network, I changed the atalkd.conf file
from the original (as follows):

eth0 -phase 2 -net 1-65534 -addr 38883.37

to the following, to bring it into line with the new Appletalk settings (Net 
13-120, zones "Section 1", "Section 2" and "Section 3":

eth0 -phase 2 -net 13-120

and then after running /usr/local/atalk/etc/rc.atalk, the file changed to
this and the errors occurred again upon running it once more:

eth0 -phase 2 -net 13-120 -addr 13.78 -zone "Section 1" -zone "Section 
2" -zone "Section 3"

Any ideas?  I'm somewhat mystified, knowing little about the workings
of Appletalk.

---
In case of rapture, I get all your stuff.

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 13:47:05 +0200

>Any ideas?  I'm somewhat mystified, knowing little about the workings

Ifconfig your interfaces (loopback, too!) down and up again. Then restart atalk.
If this won't do the Job, reboot the whole machine.
Read the end of the atalkd manpage ;-)

:wq! PoC