Subject: [netatalk-admins] Unexpected Disconnects?

From: Neil McAllister <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 15:13:09 -0700

A lot of sessions are getting dropped from my netatalk server.  It might be
in mid-transfer, or when the netatalk volume is just sitting on the
desktop, but a modal dialog will pop up saying "Server XXX has unexpectedly
disconnected".

Usually, after this happens, an "extra" afpd process will be left sitting
on the server.

Has anybody seen something like this before, or know what to do about it?

Also, I'm not sure I understand how afpd logs connections.  Every time
someone connects to the server, I get a log like this:

>Sep  2 14:38:00 mayhem afpd[1901]: ASIP session:548(6) from
>157.22.210.179:2049(1)
>Sep  2 14:38:00 mayhem afpd[1901]: randnum/rand2num login: macadmin
>Sep  2 14:38:00 mayhem afpd[1901]: login macadmin (uid 501, gid 509)
>Sep  2 14:38:00 mayhem afpd[1901]: logout
>Sep  2 14:38:00 mayhem afpd[1864]: server_child[1] 1901 done

To me, this looks a lot like the afpd server thinks the client logged in
and then immediately logged out, even though the session may be ongoing.
What is this logging supposed to be telling me?

Incidentally, someone else mentioned it earlier, but I, too, would like
more detailed logging options for netatalk (files transferred and so forth).

--
Neil McAllister, Systems Administrator
Primo Angeli Inc., San Francisco, CA, USA
http://www.primo.com  mailto:[email-masked]