Subject: [netatalk-admins] MacOS 8.5 and netatalk (netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2)

From: Valerie Caro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 17:14:08 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:03:46 -0500
From: John Greene <[email-masked]>
Subject: 8.5 and aroostook

 We are running RedHat 5.0 and netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2. It was working
fine until we installed Mac OS 8.5. Now we have problems copying
some files to the netatalk volume.

Problem:

With Mac OS 8.5 (Appleshare 3.8.1), on certain netatalk volumes (in our
case CSCF), some files will not copy ANYWHERE on the volume...  e.g.
BlackWatch 1.3.  The source is irrelevant.  Copying from my local disk,
copying from CSCF itself (via option-drag) and/or copying from a different
mounted server (MacPublic) -- it always fails.  They will copy to other
netatalk volumes located on the same sever (linux box) -- e.g. Common.
Today this happened with 3 files (2 applications and 1 "Apple Guide"
document").  No matter what I did, these files would not copy to CSCF.  The
progress bar would go 99% of the way and then Error -50.

All worked fine with 8.1

--
                          .
Qapla',         .       '       John Greene  -  Software Specialist
                .   *    .      Computer Science Computing Facility
                       `        University of Massachusetts Amherst
                                Web: <http://www.cs.umass.edu/~jg/>
                                Mac: <http://www.cs.umass.edu/mac/>
-jg  ([email-masked])          - ICQ: 13903189 - LET'S GO FLYERS -

---

From: Neil McAllister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:36:48 -0800

>progress bar would go 99% of the way and then Error -50.

To my mind, -50 indicates some kind of permissions problem.  If these
problems really only manifested themselves with OS 8.5, then I would pay
special attention to the permissions on the .Parent files in your
.AppleDouble directories.  Just a hunch.

Otherwise, I have had no such problems with my netatalk server and 8.5.

--
Neil McAllister, Systems Administrator
Primo Angeli Inc., San Francisco, CA, USA
http://www.primo.com  mailto:[email-masked]