Subject: [netatalk-admins] Password

From: Regis Koenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 14:07:09 +0000

Is there a way to allow customers on mac (under MacOs 8) to change their
Unix/Netatalk password ?

Regis Koenig - ENSEEIHT - France

---

From: Hannu Krosing <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 19:02:39 +0300

> Is there a way to allow customers on mac (under MacOs 8) to change their

One possibility is to use Eudora to change passwords (it requires a 
poppaswd daemon running on the unix box).

Hannu

---

From: Richard Knuckey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 11:23:14 +1200

>Is there a way to allow customers on mac (under MacOs 8) to change their

It is possible, but not without extra software on the mac. The reason is
that unix stores passwords trap-door encrypted, which means that it is not
possible to extract the original password. The client encrypts the password
and compares it agains the encrypted version on the server.

Appleshare works differently. On the server the password is stored as
cleartext, and client/server sends each other random numbers to encrypt
this password with.

To change the password, the server needs access to the clear text password,
and AppleShare does not allow password changing when using cleartext
authentication, only when using 2-way rand num encryption.

You can install Kerberos Authentication to get around this, there are both
mac plug in authentication modules for AppleShare and netatalk can support
this. Set up is quite involved though.

An earier way is to allow a 'out of band' method of changing password. On
my system I wrote a daemon for Eudora's Change Password feature, (I ported
poppassd to PAM) so users on macs and windowz boxes can change their
unix/samba/appleshare password from within Eudora.

Another way would be a web page that called a change password cgi.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Knuckey                                    [email-masked]
Technology Manager                                        DDI +649 573 5923
Techniche, a division of Blue Star Print Group Limited    Fax +649 573 1803

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 10:39:42 +0100 (BST)

>Is there a way to allow customers on mac (under MacOs 8) to change their

If a CLI isn't going to scare your users to death, you could make their
shell /bin/passwd [remember to add it to /etc/shells]: Then they could
telnet in to change their passwords, but wouldn't be able to mess with
anything else [I hope :)].

-- 
You are in a maze of twisty X resources, all like.