Subject: [netatalk-admins] password failures and more

From: Matt Paduano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 13:29:37 -0700 (PDT)

hi.

 I installed netatalk about 1yr ago on a linux box and
 had absolutely no troubles at all. Thanks very much. 
 that server is working fine  :)

 but...

 I installed netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 today on a new linux box.

 one of my problems so far is related to the password/auth
 from the chooser: I log in and the server does not accept my 
 password (which is correct and works from ssh  :) )

 - I have /etc/shadow
 - I added -DSHADOWPW to the CFLAGS line in the Makefile 
   located in src/netatalk/etc/afpd before I typed "make"  ;)
 - afpd and atalkd are running

 another issue is that afpd is not answering "telnet host 548"

 - there are appropriate lines in /etc/services
 - I set the flag -tcp in the file atalk/etc/afpd.conf
 - the daemon is running

 further, a slew of lines show up in my syslog from atalkd like:

 atalkd[xx]: as_timer can't get zone for 1234xxx
 
 all the other messages look ok to me. 

 also, I set the flag -noguest in atalk/etc/afpd.conf and
 the chooser allows one to click on "guest" and then presents
 no volumes for login... is this correct?

any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

matt