Subject: [netatalk-admins] File locking issues? Has it been a problem for you?

From: Philip Hallstrom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 15:33:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all-
	I'm new to both these lists so if this isn't the right place,
point me in the right direction.

I've got a Sun that I want to use for file services for our desktops (Mac,
W95).  I was planning on using netatalk and samba until I thought about
the lack of file locking b/n the two.
	So, I started looking at other options (like Syntax's Totalnet),
but it's quite a bit of money just for file locking :)

My question is - for those of you who run both samba and netatalk have you
had problems with files getting corrupted due to lack of file locking?

If I get enough requests I'll summarize the results.

Thanks!

-philip

--
Philip Hallstrom                Technical Director
[email-masked]     Sierra Online Services
http://www.sierra.com/          Sierra Online, Inc.

---

From: Jonathan Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 10:48:52 +0100

>had problems with files getting corrupted due to lack of file locking?

Well, I ran some rudimentary tests with Microsoft word (6.0Mac and 97Win)
on a Mac and PC both trying to edit the same file:

Test 1. Open file on PC. Attempt to open on Mac. Opens without warnings.
Make change on mac and save. Saves without warning. make change on PC and
save, gives 'there has been a network or file permission error'.

Test 2. Open file on a Mac. Attempt to open on a PC, gives 'word cannot
open this document' but doesn't say why.

Bit random and strange, basically. I might add that this is better than the
WinNT 'services of Mac' does, which lets you merrily write ontop of
everything. Still, it is not ideal.

--------
Jon Peterson	[email-masked]	+44 (0)171 613 5300

"Behold the duck, it does not cluck,
A cluck it lacks. It quacks."