Subject: [netatalk-admins] printing problems

From: Brian Eric Bothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 16:11:47 -0500 (EST)

We have a HP LaserJet 6MP hooked up to a WinNT box, that is being served
to our Mac users via Netatalk and SAMBA.  A few users have noticed that
their print jobs are all being printed about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch too
high on the page.  I did some testing and this occurs from all of the Mac
applications I tried (MS-Word, Adobe Illustrator & PhotoShop).  Print jobs
from any of the WinNT machines work fine (no alignment problems).

Also, the fonts used in the Mac documents are not the same as the ones
being printed.  If the files are being sent as raw PostScript it shouldn't
matter what fonts are used right?  (I admit relative ignorance when it
comes to PostScript and printer stuff!)

I got the HP 6MP PPD file of the install disk, and installed it as my
.ppd file for Netatalk as well as on each Mac (in Extensions/Printer 
Descriptions).  When the printer is queried from a Mac, it shows up
correctly as a HP 6MP, and everything else seems in order.

Could this be a MacOS 8.0 problem?  Or perhaps a SAMBA problem (if so, I
will seek help from the SAMBA listserv)

Thanks!

-Brian

We are running Netatalk 1.4b under Linux 2.0.32 (Redhat 5.0)

------------------------------------------------------
| Brian Bothwell:   http://php.indiana.edu/~brbothwe |
|               CS Masters student                   |
|          System Admin and Webmaster for            |
|   Center for Excellence in Education/Wisdom Tools  |  
------------------------------------------------------