Subject: [netatalk-admins] Reconnect at Startup.

From: Danny Carroll <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:49:50 +1000

Does anyone know if you can disable the reconnect at startup feature of appleshare?

If I had a program or setting to do this on the client that would be great or if I could disable it within netatalk, that would be good too.

Any ideas?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Danny Carroll - CSO Academy of the Arts, QUT
Phone               (07) 3864-5903
Fax                   (07) 3864-5569
E-mail                [email-masked]

---

From: John Sutton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:16:41 +0100

With Appleshare client 3.7.2 running on OS 7.5.5 (my setup), you have to
explicitly fill out a checkbox to ask that an automatic re-mount be done at
startup.  How does your setup differ?

>If I had a program or setting to do this on the client that would be great
>or if I could disable it within netatalk, that would be good too.
>
>Any ideas?
>

***********************
John Sutton
SCL Computer Services
http://www.scl.co.uk
Tel +44 (0) 1239 621021
***********************

---

From: Yuji Shinozaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:22:26 -0400 (EDT)

This has wandered off-topic from netatalk, but...

I think this is one of the interface mistakes (one of relatively few) that
Apple made:  There is not a central place where you can control the
"auto-reconnection" of Appleshare volumes.  You need to 1) figure out
where the volume actually resides (using "get info" is handy here).  2) 
get to the volume location via the chooser 3) uncheck the "mount at
startup" checkbox.

Newbies will often check this box, thinking that that is what necessary to
mount a volume at all.  Then they are "doomed" to have this volume mount
everytime.  I don't think the interface makes it clear how this works.

A trick:  If you would like to eliminate ALL auto-remounting of the
Appleshare volumes without having the poke around in the chooser, just
delete the "Appleshare prep" from the Preferences folder.  On our lab
macs, we automatically delete this file on shutdown (with RevRDist, which
is another story completely...). 

yuji
----

> >or if I could disable it within netatalk, that would be good too.

Yuji Shinozaki		        Systems Administrator
[email-masked]	        Dept of Physics and Astronomy
http://www.physics.unc.edu      Univ. of North Carolina - CH
(919)962-7214 (voice)           CB 3255 Philips Hall
(919)962-0480 (fax)	        Chapel Hill, NC  27599