Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0 / broken logins

From: Wagner One <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:35:14 -0500

Couple questions/problems.

I just upgrade netatalk from netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 to 
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0.

The machines I have been connecting with are macos 8.1 machines running 
the default appleshare binaries that shipped with 8.1.

After doing so only one user among all those that used to have access to 
various shared directories can see what they are supposed to in the 
Chooser. All of the users that used to be able to see all the appropriate 
shared directories can now only see their own home dir.

That led me to believe that something in the structure of the 
AppleDouble.system had changed but it is the same. My next clue was that 
something involving privileges was mucked up, but nothing has changed in 
that regard on the machine since the netatalk upgrade. (I checked anyway 
and found things to be in order in the group and passwd files). I looked 
at the .Parent file for the "volume" and it was not of zero length (I had 
seen that listed as a potential problem). I renamed it anyway and 
restarted the server with no luck.

I can see no difference in any of the files associated with the netatalk 
server and/or the personal files of all those users who cannot log in and 
the single user (myself) that can log into all of the applicable shared 
directories. I'm stumped.

I have a feeling it may have something to do with Pam. I had it enabled 
before and still do (I couldn't get netatalk to compile when I commented 
it out). The only difference I can see in any of the config files in 
DESTDIR/etc, when compared to those in the previous version of netatalk, 
is in the netatalk.pamd.

It is set to the default:

>auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow
>account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
>#password   required    /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
>#password   required    /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow use_authtok
>session    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

One other thing I have noticed is the lengthy delays between attempts to 
log in fromm the mac client. This has not changed from the previous 
version I had running. If I select the netatalk server in the mac Chooser 
and then cancel out for some reason instead of logging in, I cannot make 
another login attempt for some time. Is that expected?

Thanks,
Mike

--
Mike Wagner - A bad Dead show is better than a good day at work...
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

---

From: Wagner One <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 14:21:12 -0500

>shared directories can now only see their own home dir.

Man am I tired (or dumb ;). No one else could log in and see anything but 
their home dirs in the Chooser because the Appletalk.defaults and system 
files were owned by myself and did no have world (or group for that 
matter) read privs. ;)

Ugh.