Subject: [netatalk-admins] Can't get Newton to see printer

From: Nicholas Riley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 10:36:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

At home I have set up netatalk on a NetBSD/mac68k machine and used papd
with a printer connected by the serial port. This has worked for
Macintoshes and my Newton MessagePad 2100 over ethernet.

At work I recently installed netatalk (1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2) on Linux
2.0.33, printing to the parallel port. It seems to be working OK except
the Newton can't see the printer - it just hangs forever in the printer
chooser until I cancel the operation. The printer shows up OK in nbplkup
and I am able to use pap to access and print to it from the local machine. 
There aren't any other AppleTalk-capable devices on the network. TCP/IP
works fine between the Linux box and the Newton. 

nbplkup reports:

                     alexandria:AFPServer           66.34:130
                   silentwriter:LaserWriter         66.34:128
                     alexandria:netatalk            66.34:4
                     alexandria:Workstation         66.34:4

When I try to print:

% pap intro.ps
Trying 66.34:128 ...
raw is ready and printing
Connected to silentwriter:LaserWriter@*.
Connection closed.
% lpq -Praw
raw is ready and printing
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
active nobody     13   Mac Job                               81208 bytes

atalkd.conf is: "eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 66.34"
and papd.conf is:

silentwriter:\
 :pr=raw:op=nobody:\
 :pd=/usr/share/lib/ppd/nc95fax1.ppd:

Are there any diagnostics likely to provide insight into this problem? Am
I missing something else? The same configuration is working fine elsewhere
(albeit with a different OS, computer and network), which is what is
really confusing to me. 

Thanks,

--
Nicholas Riley <[email-masked]>

---

From: Nicholas Riley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 11:11:16 -0400 (EDT)

More on this... my repaired PowerBook was just delivered; I plugged it in,
connected it, and I have the same problem (also, no file servers are
visible). The Linux box can even see the PowerBook now:

% nbplkup
                     alexandria:AFPServer		66.34:130
                   silentwriter:LaserWriter		66.34:128
                     alexandria:netatalk		66.34:4
                     alexandria:Workstation		66.34:4
                  Little Beeper:PPCToolBox		65328.1:252
                  Little Beeper:  Macintosh PowerBook	65328.1:253
                  Little Beeper:Workstation		65328.1:4

The Linux box can send and receive packets:

% aecho "Little Beeper"
14 bytes from 65328.1: aep_seq=0. time=1. ms
[snip]
----65328.1 AEP Statistics----
6 packets sent, 6 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip (ms)  min/avg/max = 1/1/1

I tried running "GetTheirAddress" (old, free ag group utility) on the
PowerBook and didn't come up with anything.

---

From: Nicholas Riley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 12:03:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998 [email-masked] wrote:

> Remove your atalkd.conf and reboot.  You can not successfully put
> addresses and zones in the atalkd.conf when you're on an unrouted
> appletalk network.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I removed everything from atalkd.conf, after reboot it is still empty.  I
now get different numbers, but the Mac still is not showing the printer. 

                     alexandria:AFPServer                          65280.115:130
                   silentwriter:LaserWriter                        65280.115:128
                     alexandria:netatalk                           65280.115:4
                     alexandria:Workstation                        65280.115:4
                  Little Beeper:PPCToolBox                         65386.1:252
                  Little Beeper:  Macintosh PowerBook              65386.1:253
                  Little Beeper:Workstation                        65386.1:4

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 11:44:51 -0400

> From:    Nicholas Riley <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

:wes

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 14:45:09 -0400

> To:      [email-masked]

> now get different numbers, but the Mac still is not showing the printer. 

It could be that your ethernet driver or card doesn't support
multicasts properly.

:wes

---

From: Mark Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 13:54:43 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all:

I just moved my linux (2.0.33) box from an ethernet environment to a
token-ring environment.  Does netatalk support advertising names in the
chooser over TokenRing?  I can't seem to get it to work.  I've got the IP
side working well (I assume...I haven't heard any complaints yet), but
would like for the machine to show up in the chooser as well.

The real hint that netatalk isn't working right is that after removing the
atalkd.conf and restarting atalkd, I get the following in atalkd.conf:

eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.87

There are zones on this network, which means I should see a zone name in
there and it should have a lot more restricted net range than that
implies.  

So, is there a secret for token-ring, or am I SOL?
--Mark
    "I think so Brain, but if they called them sad meals, then nobody
        would buy them." 
   --Pinky

---

From: Nicholas Riley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 15:38:42 -0400 (EDT)

> It could be that your ethernet driver or card doesn't support

This is conceivable, I guess - I had a lot of trouble with this ethernet
card (i.e., it didn't work) when attempting to install FreeBSD. Would
there be a simple way to test this behavior?