Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and MacOS 8.5 beta

From: Yves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 08:18:30 +0200 (MET DST)

As you all know, or don't know, there is a new "Network browser" app in
MacOS 8.5 beta. Now, that nice thing doesn't work together with Netatalk:
it doesn't let you log in. The usual Chooser way still works, so it an
MacOS bug or it's a netatalk bug. Anyway it works to normal macs, it's
just netatalk that seems to be the problem... Now, when i analyse the afpd
-d output, there seems to be some change in handshaking or something, or
there's a command (0x37 or something?) that's not implemented in netatalk?

 I got this in my logs:

Sep  9 07:23:59 asua afpd[23327]: ASIP session:548(4) from
192.168.1.40:2065(1)
Sep  9 07:23:59 asua afpd[23327]: login yves (uid 501, gid 501)
Sep  9 07:24:00 asua afpd[23327]: afp_null handle 37
Sep  9 07:24:00 asua afpd[23327]: logout
Sep  9 07:24:00 asua afpd[26158]: server_child[1] 23327 done

When i try to log in: On the mac site, it just sits there, waiting for a
connection...

Now, i launched afpd with the -d option, and it gives me this (passwords
removed ;-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
command: 18
12 06 41 46 50 32 2E 32 10 43 6C 65 61 72 74 78         ..AFP2.2.Cleartx
74 20 70 61 73 73 77 72 64 04 79 76 65 73 -- --         t passwrd.yves--
-- -- -- -- 00 00                                       ----..
(end)
reply: 0, 2
(end)
command: 37
25 01 00 00 00 00 00 01                                 %.......
(end)
reply: -5024, 3
(end)
command: 20
14                                                      .
(end)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The normal "Chooser" way gives me this (and this one works)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
command: 18
12 06 41 46 50 32 2E 32 10 43 6C 65 61 72 74 78         ..AFP2.2.Cleartx
74 20 70 61 73 73 77 72 64 04 79 76 65 73 -- --         t passwrd.yves--
-- -- -- -- 00 00                                       ----..
(end)
reply: 0, 2
(end)
command: 16
10                                                      .
(end)
reply: 0, 3
35 F6 17 56 06 00 0C 4A 41 56 41 20 4C 69 62 72         5..V...JAVA Libr
61 72 79 00 13 56 6C 61 61 6E 64 65 72 65 6E 20         ary..Vlaanderen
44 69 67 69 74 61 61 6C 00 04 49 44 32 31 00 05         Digitaal..ID21..
4C 69 6E 75 78 00 08 4D 61 63 46 69 6C 65 73 00         Linux..MacFiles.
04 79 76 65 73                                          .yves
(end)
command: 24
<snip>

Yves

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 09:32:51 -0700 (PDT)

fyi,

leland wallace already informed me about this. it turns out that the
GetUserInfo call was missing. i've fixed it in my snapshot.

-a