Subject: [netatalk-admins] i need some tuning tips

From: "Achim Gosse" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 12:17:10 +0100

hi,

on my linux box runs netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2.tar.gz, kernel 2.0.35.
If I want to copy a 55 mbyte file to it, it needs roundabout 15 minutes,
this is too slow for a 100 mbit network.
What can I do to increase performance?

How can I change the Icon of the Linux Server on the Mac desktop?

Thanks in advance,

Achim

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 22:35:39 +1000

Achim Gosse said in [netatalk-admins] i need some tuning tips at 10/Nov/1998 
(Tue) 21:17:10.

> What can I do to increase performance?

You don't say what your Macintoshes are and what system/Appleshare they run, 
or how loaded the net and/or server is at the time of your test...

Make sure they're using Appleshare Client 3.8, and get Apple's Appleshare IP 
Client Utility and try adjusting the write-behind cache sizes, and the # of 
buffers.  I'm assuming these are fast PCI PowerMacs you're using.  My 
8500/120 sustains about 800Kbyte/sec to/from my 2.0.33+ box (10BaseT only at 
that).... which would require only 70 seconds at most to xfer that file you 
mentioned.  You are definitely experiencing other problems if it takes 15 
minutes on modern hardware/system software.  GET asun2.1.0 by the way too.  
2.0.a is QUITE old, and there have been MANY bug fixes and enhancements.

> How can I change the Icon of the Linux Server on the Mac desktop?

Easy!  How do you change the icon of your Hard Drive?  (select it, Get Info, 
then click on the ICON in the upper-left corner of the Get Info window, and 
PASTE your desired icon.)

=Rob=