Subject: [netatalk-admins] My Chooser is Blind?

From: "Dave Edsall - The Tauminator" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:21:32 CDT

Hello All,

   After successfully running Netatalk with AFS, Kerberos and Hesiod on a 486 
RedHat 4.2 box for three months, I decided to attempt the same for a NetBSD 
Alpha box. I've installed version 1.4b2 on a DEC Alpha 200 4/166 running 
NetBSD version 1.3.2 that I downloaded from the NetBSD web pages. To begin 
with, I installed, compiled and configured just a simple, basic, cleartext 
version of Netatalk to see if it even worked with something as simple as a 
local file system and the /etc/passwd file. The daemons start without a 
problem. The server appears in the chooser on the Mac. I have a local account 
on the server and the server calls up AuthMan to authenticate me with the 
server. The authentication proceeds ( no error message about access being 
denied or anything ) and then I get an empty window of file systems from which 
I can choose. Has anyone seen this empty window problem before? Below are the 
details:

Server: DEC Alpha 200 4/166
OS: NetBSD 1.3.2

Client: MAC 8600/200
OS: 8.1

Netatalk Version: 1.4b2

/usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.system:

#
# This file is read before (after if -u is specified) the user's
# AppleVolume file.  Add extension mappings and volumes here.
#
#/usr USR
#/usr/local LOCAL
/usr/local/tmp TEMP
#/afs/iastate.edu/ AFS-ISU
#~

/usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.default:

# This file looks empty when viewed with "vi".  In fact, there is one
# '~', so users with no AppleVolumes file in their home directory get
# their home directory by default.
~

netatalk3# ls -la /usr/local/tmp
total 2
drwxr-xr-x   2 edsall  users  512 Sep 28 16:03 .
drwxr-xr-x  14 root    wheel  512 Sep 28 15:58 ..
-rw-------   1 edsall  users    0 Sep 28 16:03 shit

/var/log/messages:

Sep 28 11:33:23 netatalk3 afpd[10720]: session from xxx.x:xxx on xxxxx.xxx:xxx
Sep 28 11:33:23 netatalk3 afpd[10720]: login edsall (uid xxx, gid xxx)
Sep 28 11:33:29 netatalk3 afpd[10720]: done
Sep 28 11:33:29 netatalk3 afpd[253]: asp_chld 10720 done

       Any ideas?

             Thanks,

                  Dave