Subject: [netatalk-admins] Network/Zone mixup ?

From: Michael Zuelsdorff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 23:17:56 +0200

Hello,

I`m very satisfied with netatalk, but there is something I don´t understand:
When my atalkd.conf looks like

eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 66-67 -addr 66.150 -zone "Ethernet_1"
eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 68-69 -addr 68.150 -zone "Ethernet_2"
 
I get:

dolbyco:/usr/local/atalk-1006/etc # ../bin/nbplkup "@Ethernet_1"
                       HPLJ_4MP:LaserWriter                    68.150:133
                     STYLUS_LOW:LaserWriter                    68.150:129
                        dolbyco:TimeLord                       68.150:132
                        dolbyco:AFPServer                      68.150:130
                    STYLUS_HIGH:LaserWriter                    68.150:128
                        dolbyco:netatalk                       68.150:4
                        dolbyco:Workstation                    68.150:4
dolbyco:/usr/local/atalk-1006/etc # ../bin/nbplkup "@Ethernet_2"
                      mac-micha:  Macintosh                    69.1:253
                      mac-micha:Workstation                    69.1:4
 -----------------------------------------------------
When my atalkd.conf looks like

eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 68-69 -addr 68.150 -zone "Ethernet_2"
eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 66-67 -addr 66.150 -zone "Ethernet_1"

I get:

dolbyco:/usr/local/atalk-1006/etc # ../bin/nbplkup "@Ethernet_1"
                                                   (nothing !)
dolbyco:/usr/local/atalk-1006/etc # ../bin/nbplkup "@Ethernet_2"
                       HPLJ_4MP:LaserWriter                    66.150:131
                     STYLUS_LOW:LaserWriter                    66.150:129
                        dolbyco:TimeLord                       66.150:132
                        dolbyco:AFPServer                      66.150:130
                    STYLUS_HIGH:LaserWriter                    66.150:128
                        dolbyco:netatalk                       66.150:4
                        dolbyco:Workstation                    66.150:4
                      mac-micha:  Macintosh                    69.1:253
                      mac-micha:Workstation                    69.1:4
-------------------------------------------------------

I do expect my server to appear either in Ethernet_1 with 66.x:x
or in Ethernet_2 with 68.x:x  !
Since the Mac is connected to eth1, I can accept the 69.x:x

BTW: Running Interpoll on the Mac confirms the output of nbplkup. 
ifconfig in both cases looks the same:

eth0      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:C0:E4:0E:BF
          inet addr:192.168.100.84  Bcast:192.168.100.95  Mask:255.255.255.224
          EtherTalk Phase 2 addr:66/150
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

eth1      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:C0:04:09:5C
          inet addr:192.168.100.33  Bcast:192.168.100.63  Mask:255.255.255.224
          EtherTalk Phase 2 addr:68/150
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
 
This is pre-asun2.1.0-10a on Linux 2.0.33, but I´m watching this strangeness
from the early days of netatalk.

Maybe all above isn´t wrong at all ?!? I hope, someone can explain..

Best regards.

Michael