Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 - IP works, ethertalk doesn't?

From: Sean Page <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 10:41:40 -0600

I have installed netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 on FreeBSD 2.2.5 (with
netatalk kernel patches) and I'm at my wits end. I can connect to the
server via IP no problem at all, works great, but can not see it on the
local network via the chooser no matter what I do.

My atalkd.conf auto configures to:

ed0 -phase 2 -net 65280-65534 -addr 65280.198
ed1 -phase 2 -net 65280-65534 -addr 0.0
And I tried to reconfigure it to:

ed0 -phase 2 -net 65280-65534 -addr 65280.198
ed1 -phase 2 -net 100-200 -addr 100.1
to no avail. ed0 is the interface to the outside world, ed1 is the
internal network. I am also running NAT, if that makes a difference...

Any advise on what I can try would be greatly appreciated!

Sean

Sean Page
Technical Analyst
Information Technology Services
Edmonton Public School Board

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 12:26:17 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry. I am still cleaning out some old messages, and found this. I don't
think it got fully answered.

> ed1 -phase 2 -net 100-200 -addr 100.1 

For all this stuff to work right, you need to have a seed router. Netatalk
can act as one, but you're not configuring it as such.

> to no avail. ed0 is the interface to the outside world, ed1
> is the internal network. I am also running NAT, if that makes a
> difference... 

NAT should have nothing to do with appletalk.

What's on your "outside world" ethernet? Anything which will care about
Appletalk traffic?

If not, try

ed0 -phase 2 -seed -net 100 -zone "The wild outside"
ed1 -phase 2 -seed -net 101 -zone "My happy home"

The address will get selected automatically. You don't need more than one
net number, unless you have a lot of computers. We have about 150 using
one net number. :-)

Or, just turn netatalk on on the internal network. If you have both
interfaces on, and don't have a seed router on either side, they end up
with identical network numbers. Network numbers are supposed to be unique
per wire. So what might have happened is that, due to routes to ed0 being
found before ed1, all netatalk transmissions went out ed0. I gathered all
your computers were on ed1, so things'd not work. :-)

If you only have netatalk running internally, things should work fine.
just delete the ed0 line, and everythig should come up. Note: you won't be
able to define zones.

Take care,

Bill