Subject: [netatalk-admins] papd questions...

From: Harry Zink <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 11:54:33 -0800

I'm trying to make a Laserjet, attached locally to lp1, work via papd. So 
far, no success.

Either jobs get spooled, and never print, or the Laserwriter driver never 
is able to configure the printer.

First question - is there any way to fix papd so it automatically takes 
over the configuration in printcap? Is that even possible?

Furthermore, a solution was being hinted at, at the page at:

http://www.giub.unibe.ch/~eugster/appleprint.html

Which is referring to a help page concerning local printer access at:

http://www.cec.mtu.edu/Doc/FAQ/netatalk.html

This page no longer exists, and I have the xact problem described. The 
explanation  provided makes sense, but I was not able to implement it.

It stated:

---
Instead of setting pr: to the printer
name in papd.conf, he suggests piping it to lpr -Pprinter_name. 
---

If anyone can help me with my papd file, I would appreciate it.

Harry

---

From: Edan Idzerda <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:40:29 -0500 (EST)

> explanation  provided makes sense, but I was not able to implement it.

If you were able to follow the albiet broken link on the page,
you might have been able to find:

Netatalk on Solaris 2 FAQ is at http://www.mtusysadm.mtu.edu/mtudocs/netatalk

I don't talk to the cec.mtu.edu folks at all anymore, and would 
hope that pages in question would just change the pointer to the now 
much more permanent home.

- edan

--
Edan Idzerda	<[email-masked]>
System Administrator --  Michigan Technological University, Houghton MI USA