Subject: [netatalk-admins] Applying patches

From: Bill Butler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 19:52:50 -0600 (CST)

This is definitely not an appropriate question for this board but I don't
know where else to turn. I attempted to patch a18 to a18.1 & then a18.2. I
cannot seem to patch a18 probably due to my lack of understanding
regarding patch syntax.

asun's readme suggests patching using the following syntax:

zcat <patch> | patch -d <directory> -p1

I put in the following command:

zcat /opt/src/a18-a18.1.diff.gz | patch -d
/opt/src/netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18/ -p1

I fails with error: I can't seem to find a patch in there. There is no
question that the patch is in /opt/src. I expect, there is something very
wrong in the way I am issuing the patch command. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

--

Bill Butler
[email-masked]
President, Chief Operating Officer
615.321.9100 ext.230

============================Hint to the Mac user=============================
   When talking to a Windows user, be sure to always adopt a condescending
            tone. If you have trouble with this, ask a Unix user.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bill Butler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 22:27:55 -0600 (CST)

Actually I was most interested in understanding the syntax for patch. It
will also save em from having to edit my Makefiles everytime I upgrade &
re-compile.

On Sat, 24 Jan 1998, a sun wrote:

> 
> you could always just grab 18.2 if you're having difficulty patching.
> 
> -a
> 

--

Bill Butler
[email-masked]