Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Can't log on after Mac crash

From: [email-masked] (Bob Smith, Hammett & Edison, Inc.)
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 14:49:58 -0700

On Wed, Jul 1, 1998, 11:23:30 GMT Lee Blevins wrote:

>I'm using FreeBSD 2.2.6 and Netatalk 1.4b2 without the asun patch. The
>reason I stopped using the asun patch seems to be still happening
>without it.
>
>After a mac hangs and we have to reboot, we can't log back on. Rebooting
>the server solves this and we can log back on. Also, if we wait a
>several minutes we can log back on.

Sounds like this is due to the afpd limit on the number of connections.  If
you are at the max connection limit when a Mac crashes, no one else including
the Mac that crashed can connect until the original session for the crashed
machine times out, which takes 2-3 minutes.  Increase the allowed number of
connections to a few more than the number you need, for example if you need
10 connections, start up with "afpd -c 12 ...".

Hope this helps!

Bob Smith
Hammett & Edison, Inc.
[email-masked]