Subject: [netatalk-admins] NetAtalk vs Helios on Solaris for Printing

From: "Douglas M. MacFarlane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 13:59:16 -0500 (CDT)

We are facing the need to update 5 Solaris systems that are at 2.3,
and an old version of Helios EtherShare.  They are comfortable with
NetAtalk as opposed to updating their EtherShare licenses.  

there is a functional issue, though.  EtherShare comes with a tool
called EtherShare Admin that runs on the macs that lets them
manipulate the print-queues.

The end-users that have been granted permission to manipulate the
queues find thius essential. thay can "push" a rush job upin the
queue, and cna check to see if their job has printed or plotted
before walking to the color  output devices (sometimes a 5 minute
walk).

Now, I know that we ca can configure configure multiple queues for
the same printer with different attributes, such as resolution and
paper-typoe within Solaris.  It might not be as straightforward as
Helios EtherShare, but it works.  Buyt what about queue manaement?
How can we provide them with the same controls using Solaris and
NetAtalk?

TIA

Doug

Douglas M. MacFarlane
Principal, Vauban Industries
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Norman)
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 23:12:51 GMT

>How can we provide them with the same controls using Solaris and

I don't know of anything that exists to do this at the moment. The
most obvious solution is a webserver and a collection of Perl CGI
scripts.
-- 
Andy Norman  [email-masked]

Linux, everyone's favourite operating system, isn't it ?