Subject: [netatalk-admins] Token Ring

From: [email-masked] (Peter Andrews)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:50:55 -0500

I have the distinctly mixed blessing of being on a strictly Token Ring
campus.  I do have Linux 2.0.33 running quite nicely in this environemnt.
Is there any hope of getting (some possibly patched version of) netatalk to
work over Token Ring or is it strictly an ethernet package?

**********************************                #  #  #  #
**  Peter Andrews                                 ##########
**  Mathematics Department                         #      #
**  Eastern Illinois University               ##################
**  Charleston, IL  61920                     #     #    #  #  #
**  217-581-6275                              # ### #    #  #  #
**                                            #     #    #  #  #
**  [email-masked]                             # ### #    #  #  #
**                                            #     #    #     #
*********************************             ##################

---

From: Mark Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 11:55:20 -0500

> work over Token Ring or is it strictly an ethernet package?

As I am lead to believe, there needs to be no changes in netatalk itself
to do this... This is a kernel-space thing.  Basically, the kernel only
knows how to deal with EtherTalk, not TokenTalk.

I'm currntly working on TokenRing TokenTalk support for linux... I will
likely be at the testing stage fairly soon.  Would you be willing to be
another test site?

Does anybody else run in such an environment (linux, tokenring) who would
be willing to be a test site for kernel patches?

--Mark