Subject: [netatalk-admins] Compile Error

From: "Ethan Vaughn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 12:26:14 -0600

I've got RH 5.1 (Manhattan) and my compilation of 
netatalk1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 dies. It says I'm missing <des.h>.
The file des.h isn't included anywhere on my system. If this is part 
of a standard lib, why am I missing it? If it is a specific include 
for netatalk, why is it not included with the distribution of 
netatalk?

Does anyone know where I can find this des.h lib?

Ethan Vaughn
[email-masked]

---

From: Oliver Wrede <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 20:13:42 +0000

>Does anyone know where I can find this des.h lib?

To the list:
Isn't there a FAQ? I've seen this question so often!
(as well as the request for tcpd.h, quota.h and
Shadow-Password support)

Oliver

. causa formalis  . . . Bruesseler Platz 15 . . [email-masked] .
. informationsdesign  . 50674 Koeln, Germany  . www.causa-formalis.de  . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . tel +49 221 9522 600  . fax: 605 . . . . . . . . .

---

From: Jonathan Michael Hawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 16:56:22 -0500 (CDT)

> (as well as the request for tcpd.h, quota.h and

As far as I can tell, rand2num and randnum support aren't part of the
official UMICH Netatalk 1.4b2 distribution.  They're part of ASUN's
patches (which are now around 2.1.0).  Therefore, someone would have to
volunteer to write a webpage for netatalk+asun, find somewhere to host it,
and work closely with Adrian to write a FAQ and the approriate responses.
:)

I'll do it if Adrian wants something like that done for his patches.  It
really wouldn't be all that hard.  If the list thinks it would be a good
idea to make a simple webpage for the netatalk+asun distributions, let me
know via email or to the list and I'll come up with something.  I've got
hosting space here at NU.

Jon

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 13:16:58 +1000

Oliver Wrede said in Re: [netatalk-admins] Compile Error at 03/Sep/1998 (Thu) 
06:13:42.

> (as well as the request for tcpd.h, quota.h and

Well, tcp-wrapper binaries are usually present in most distros, but the 
sources are easily obtainable from sunsite, ftp.cdrom.com, etc.

Quota is the same way, as for des.h, if you already have SSLeay (0.8.1a or 
above), then I strongly suggest you get it.  I use SSLeay's DES code (DESLIB 
on which the netatalk is probably based, was written by Eric Young before he 
wrote SSLeay, so it works just fine, and is probably alot faster in SSLeay, 
since he's written better asm cores for DES).

Anyhow, I use SSLeay's already-installed libcrypto library, and the quota 
system provided (it did need some minor tweakage to build properly on my 
Linux box, but it works just fine).  TCP-Wrappers I just downloaded from a 
mirror, and it worked first try.  Very painless.

=Rob=

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 11:31:09 -0700 (PDT)

To the list:

Q: i tried to compile netatalk and got the following error about a
   missing file (often des.h, pam_appl.h, etc.). what do i do?

A: read the included READMEs.

-a