Subject: [netatalk-admins] Connection to DeskJet not being closed...

From: Tim Buller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 13:35:40 -0600 (CST)

Hello-
	I'm making progress in getting a Solaris host to print to a
LocalTalk connected HP DeskJet 870Cxi, but I have run up against a problem
I can't figure out. For some reason, after a document has printed
successfully, the connection to the printer is not getting closed.

An example session follows---

Before I send anything to the printer, I see:

$ /usr/local/atalk/bin/papstatus -p "DeskJet 870C in 405B:DeskWriter@Math" 
status:idle;source:AppleTalk revision 20.7-00115;extStatus:0400030000
^^^^^^^^^^^

Then I print the file:

$ gs -q \
-dNOPAUSE \
-sDEVICE=cdj550 \
-sOutputFile='|/usr/local/atalk/bin/pap -p \
"DeskJet 870C in 405B:DeskWriter@Math"' \
/usr/local/share/ghostscript/5.10/examples/colorcir.ps \
-c quit

And then the printer stays busy until it is powered off and back on:

$ /usr/local/atalk/bin/papstatus -p "DeskJet 870C in 405B:DeskWriter@Math"
status:busy;source:AppleTalk revision 20.7-00114;extStatus:0480030000
^^^^^^^^^^^

I get the same results if I print via a queue instead of on the command
line; lpq reports 

"dj870 is ready and printing" 

long after the document has finished printing. The comm light on the
printer is not active after the doc is printed.

Any Ideas? I'm using stock 1.4b2 on a Solaris 2.5.1 host.

TIA,

	Tim

====
Tim Buller                                       [email-masked]
Systems Specialist                       Snow Hall 643, (785) 864-7311
Department of Mathematics     University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045

---

From: Michael Zuelsdorff <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 01:50:44 +0100 (MET)

Guten Abend,

> And then the printer stays busy until it is powered off and back on:

Try piping the job to: pap -E -p "....", this works for my standard Deskwriter.
-E ?!? No, it's not in the man-page. Have a look at pap.c - there are even
more switches (and crazy defines :-).

Bye.

  _~_  (?)
 (o o)'
-- V -^ -----------------------------------------------------------------------
   .  N  .                             (!)              Michael   Zuelsdorff
    \ i /           I don't like LINUX -  ' ^ ^         Gruene  Riede  5    
  '. \u/ .'              I love it         (o o)        31311  Dollbergen   
    '>X<'                                  / v \        +49 517-792-2113
--- " L " --------------------------------//8'8\\------ [email-masked] --

---

From: Tim Buller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:56:34 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Michael Zuelsdorff wrote:

> Tim wrote:
> Try piping the job to: pap -E -p "....", this works for my standard
> Deskwriter.  -E ?!? No, it's not in the man-page. Have a look at pap.c -
> there are even more switches (and crazy defines :-). 

Hey, that took care of it straight away... 

Strangely enough I was using the same #define verbally in my negotiations
with the machine :)

Vielen Dank,

	Tim

====