Subject: [netatalk-admins] Appletalk Server access via IP?

From: Georg Schwarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 14:28:42 +0200 (MEST)

Is it possible to set up an AppleTalk server on a workstation running
for example Solaris which lets clients (Macs) connect that are not necessarily
in the same ethernet, i.e. does NetaTalk support AppleTalk over TCP/IP?
Can the IP subnet from which clients may connect be restricted (maybe via
the tcpwrappers hosts.allow/deny mechanism)?
Anybody running such a setup?

-- 
Georg Schwarz                             [email-masked]
Institut für Theoretische Physik    Tel. +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universität Berlin          http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
Sekr. PN 7-1, Hardenbergstr. 36, D-10623 Berlin            IRC: kuroi

---

From: Ashok Aiyar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 07:41:52 -0500 (CDT)

> in the same ethernet, i.e. does NetaTalk support AppleTalk over TCP/IP?

No, netatalk does not support AppleShare/IP.  However Adrian Sun's
patched version of netatalk (netatalk+asun), available from
ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun, does.

> the tcpwrappers hosts.allow/deny mechanism)?

Yes, netatalk+asun can be compiled with tcpwrapper support.  If your
kernel has firewalling support (as the Linux kernel does), you can
also accomplish access control by firewalling the port that afpd is 
bound to.

> Anybody running such a setup?

I have been for several months.

later,
Ashok
-- 
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D                             "Talk sense to a fool and
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research           he calls you foolish"
[email-masked]                            -- Euripedes

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 13:58:45 +0100 (BST)

> in the same ethernet, i.e. does NetaTalk support AppleTalk over TCP/IP?

Yes. You need netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2

which is thet netatalk tree maintained by A Sun. You can get it at:

ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun

> the tcpwrappers hosts.allow/deny mechanism)?

Yes. Same patches apply.

> Anybody running such a setup?

In theory, but none of the Macs here have AppleTalkIP capability yet, so
it's all rather theoretical. Oh, and I'm running Linux rather than
Solaris, but I think it all works on Solaris too.

-- 
MS-DOS is CP/M on steroids, bigger bulkier and not much better.
Windows is MS-DOS with a bad copy of a Macintosh GUI.
NT is a Windows riddled with VMS.

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:47:33 -0700

Previously...
>Solaris, but I think it all works on Solaris too.

Just a minor expansion here: My ASIP-capable Mac clients talk with my
Solaris2.6 Sparc2 via IP just fine. I'm running netatalk+asun. If you
plan to use Solaris, take a peek at
http://www.cec.mtu.edu/Doc/FAQ/netatalk.html
for extra tips on running netatalk on Solaris.
_________
mike ([email-masked])
Mud is not one of the 4 food groups
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson