Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk and OS 8.1

From: Anthony Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 98 14:16:19 -0500

I am getting the patches now. If you knew how much trouble I have had 
trying to track down the file I needed to fix this problem with the NT 
server...

But if I can get a Linux box set up here with RAID, and continue to show 
them that its better, I won't have to worry about NT anything anymore.

What kind of file sharing are you doing? Graphics, or database stuff? We 
are a small (but rapidly expanding) book publisher, so we use a lot of 
bandwidth with graphics and I am putting together OPI like database thing 
using 4D that will be getting A LOT of use.

Glad to know that there is a patch available, and that I have gotten such 
a quick response.

ant

Paul M. Fleming said something resembling:

>> 
>> I just installed the upgrade to MacOS 8.1 and now my shared volumes are 
>> doing the "skipping icons" thing. This was a problem with our NT server 
>> and I had a lot of people convinced that Linux was way cooler because it 
>> didn't do things like that (and because it is much faster). But as we get 
>> ready to migrate towards 8.1 I will need to find a solution to this 
>> problem. Anybody have any thoughts?
>
>Have you applied the "Dancing Icons" patches from umich (or have the latest
>asun)
>
>> 
>> Also I would be really interested in hearing about peoples experiences 
>> with RAID and netatalk. I just started working for this company and the 
>> old sys admin had them going down the NT path. I would like to change 
>> that. It is a little disconcerting that umich is apparently not 
>> "supporting" the distribution, but should I be worried?
>
>I use netatalk/samba/nfs to share 30 GB on a Pentium Pro 200 w/64MB ram and
>100BaseT. The RAID is stripped using the Linux md drivers and it works
>great.. Good response even under load and have had no problems. The only 
>thing
>is the mac's only show 4GB available (no big deal)..
>
>Paul
>

---

From: "Paul M. Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:13:12 -0600 (CST)

> using 4D that will be getting A LOT of use.

The machine is the primary file server for SIU's Interactive Multimedia
Program. The machine handles LARGE files easily. We've been able to digitize 
video at full NTSC 15fps across switched 100BaseT to the netatalk server.
The machine serves file space to two SGI O2 workstations that are VERY VERY
demanding and the machine doesn't even break a sweat... Our biggest problem
isn't the server itself it's the AppleTalk protocol. I haven't switched
to asun's ASIP, but the server is capable of a sustained 3.4MB/s across the
network to the SGIs (TCP)

If your interested I have LOTS of suggestions for someone interested in
duplicating our efforts, but I won't post that here unless others on the list 
are interested.
Contact me via email if you want more info...

Paul