Subject: [netatalk-admins] Can't register a LaserJet with papd

From: "Robert J. Marinchick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 11:15:35 -0500 (EST)

Hi Folks,

I'm running netatalk-1.4b2 on a Solaris 2.6 box and have things working
after a fashion. I'm trying to register a non-appletalk defined printer
in a different zone and am gettin the following error:

majink1: /home/rjm8m $ nbprgstr carr_adm_ps1:LaserJet@Carruthers
nbp_rgstr: Address family not supported by protocol family
Can't register carr_adm_ps1:LaserJet@Carruthers

My papd.conf file looks like:

f1_majink1\
        :pr=|/usr/local/bin/lpr -Pforest_l1:
f2_majink1\
        :pr=|/usr/local/bin/lpr -Pforest_l2:
carr_adm_ps1@Carruthers:\
        :pr=|/usr/local/bin/lpr -Padm_ps1:

and my /etc/printcap looks like:

adm_ps1||LaserJet|      Carruthers Hall LJIII in printer farm:\
        :lp=/dev/null:mx#0:\
        :lf=/usr/spool/print/lpd-errs:pw#80:sh:sf:\
        :rm=ps23-eps1.itc.virginia.edu:rp=adm_ps1_p1:\
        :if=/usr/local/atalk/etc/filter/ifpap:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/print/adm_ps1:

and my /usr/spool/print/adm_ps1/.paprc file looks like:

carr_adm_ps1:LaserJet@Carruthers
------------------------

in addition, if I stop and restart the atalk daemons, I get the following 
message in /usr/adm/messages:

Feb  9 10:45:36 majink1.itc.Virginia.EDU papd[5103]: can't register 
carr_adm_ps1:LaserWriter@Carruthers

I don't know where papd is getting the LaserWriter definition instead of 
LaserJet.

Hope somebody has an idea, cause I'm all out of them.

Bob Marinchick
[email-masked]