Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] netatalk and OS 8.1

From: John Barry -Technician <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 98 19:27:29 GMT

> > Only if someone creates a superior product for NT..... I'm not aware of 
> > anything beyond the default 'services for Mac', which is pretty basic. 
> 
> Well, a company called Mirimar Systems recently shipped MacLan for Windows
> NT which provides a AFP fileserver, PAP spooling and printing and the
> ability to mount a remote AFP server.

*Yawn* IRIX 6.x has this builtin as part of the standard install, The school
of Design here uses that to access their files on the Onyx.

Not that it's that good, I distrust anything that will only let you do admin
via an windowed apllication, rather than directly editing on the command line.
Remarkably easy to set up and maintain though.

later
jb

---

From: Dwight Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 14:53:57 -0500 (EST)

> of Design here uses that to access their files on the Onyx.

Correct, that is Xinet's KShare, KFS and KSpool products.

---
Dwight Kelly
Essential Technical Services, Inc.  
315 Allen Street Cumming, GA 30130
voice:(770) 889-2848  fax:(770) 889-2624 Internet:[email-masked]
http://www.etsinc.com

---

From: Brian Eric Bothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 15:19:02 -0500 (EST)

> voice:(770) 889-2848  fax:(770) 889-2624 Internet:[email-masked]

But KShare doesn't come as part of the standard 6.* distribution does it??
I was told when we upgraded both our SGI's from 5.3 to 6.2 that KShare was
*extra*.  (So I D/L'ed the free demo version, which is limited to 60
minutes a session)

-Brian

---

From: "Paul M. Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 15:14:32 -0600 (CST)

> *extra*.  (So I D/L'ed the free demo version, which is limited to 60
If you buy a Studio 02 i know it comes with the bundle. Supposedly CAP compiles
under IRIX, but I've not spent a lot of time with it. If you really want 
SGI <-> Mac connectivity CAP would be the no cost solutions.

Paul