Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk services appear in only one zone (unmangled text this time)

From: "Eddie Irvine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 20:01:32 +1000

Hi!

Netatalk is running on a FreeBSD box with two ethernet interfaces.
One goes to a LAN in room 1 (zone "ROOM1"), the other interface
goes to a LAN in room 2 (zone "ROOM2").

There are no other LANs apart from "ROOM1" and "ROOM2". I do
have a genuine Mac IP-5 fileserver that I also plan to connect to both
zones with multi-homing, however. But it can't do routing, unlike
netatalk :) .  At the moment only one interface is up, to ROOM1.

I have managed to set up atalkd.conf so that it seeds the zones with the
names above, and routing between zones seems to work. Thus, a mac
in "ROOM2" can see a mac in "ROOM1". So far so good.

The trouble is, the netatalk services (AppleShare and Print Spooling) only
seem to register in the first zone - "ROOM1".  The chooser shows
nothing to choose in zone "ROOM2", even when I am on a mac in "ROOM2".

1    Is this actually a big deal? I can connect a computer in ROOM2 to
netatalk simply by selecting the zone "ROOM1" in the chooser. Will this
cause computers in "ROOM2" slow down the LAN for computers in "ROOM1" ?

2    I must be missing something here! The netatalk FAQ-Matic alludes to
this problem but gives no firm examples. They talk about a file called
"rc.atalk" .
Is this just the startup script called at boot time that Linux uses? (I use
FreeBSD, not Linux, and my startup script is just called "netatalk.sh" .

3    Or perhaps netatalk services will only register in ONE zone? Is this
so?

Thanks in advance. Any working examples appreciated.

Eddie.

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 23:36:49 +0000 (GMT)

Yes, afpd only registers itself in one zone. However you can multiple afpd
processes and register each one on a different zone. This will keep the
networking efficient.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594