Subject: [netatalk-admins] problems running "make" .. the solution

From: "frank scholten Linde" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:10:29 +0200 (CEST)

browsing through the archives i found out that netatalk comes in the rpm
flavour, so i installed that without a problem (so far). 

thanx anyway so far .. probably more questions to come later anyway.
----------------------------------
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Date: 28-Jul-98
Time: 14:08:15
XFMail *** RedHat 5.1-2.0.34
----------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:14:15 -0400 (EDT)

Is there any easy way to restrict netatalk according to the ipaddress?
I was trying to use ipfwadm to block a port, but I couldn't specify the
protocol (which happens to be ddp) because it said it was unrecognized. 

Thanks!

Mark

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 17:27:00 +0200 (SAT)

i don't know the answer to this but i would like a neat utility to get the
ip address of the mac that's running the afpd, so i can tell which mac the
particular user is logged in from :-)

____________________________________________________________
John Ostrowick
[email-masked], +27 11 716-3783
Computer Science Department, University of the Witwatersrand   
Web site, ftp site and listserv all available at: 
http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/

---

From: Tony Stuckey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:28:47 -0500 (CDT)

> protocol (which happens to be ddp) because it said it was unrecognized. 

	DDP is not an IP protocol.
	To do what you are proposing, you would need a netatalk version with
A.Sun's AppleshareIP code, and then you would run that server under
TCP-wrappers or some similar facility.  I've never played with ipfwadm to
know what it can really do.
-- 
Anthony J. Stuckey                              [email-masked]
"When I was young, the sky was full of stars.
 I watched them burn out one by one."  -Warren Zevon

---

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 18:19:54 +0200

My etc/services has theese entries:

afpovertcp      548/tcp                 # AFP over TCP
afpovertcp      548/udp

Blocking them in your firewall, or with tcp_wrappers, should o the
trick, I *guess*.

/Palle

---

From: Andrew McNabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 11:47:53 -0500 (CDT)

Adrian Sun's release of netatalk has support for TCP Wrappers.  However,
I'm guessing that to make this work you'll have to somehow disable the
Ethertalk, so it only uses TCP/IP.

> protocol (which happens to be ddp) because it said it was unrecognized. 

----------------------------------------------
                Andrew McNabb
             Argus Systems Group
          [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------
  I am an International Arms Trafficker!!!!!
http://online.offshore.com.ai/arms-trafficker/
----------------------------------------------

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:03:20 -0700

Running IP-only is easy enough w/ the asun patches. And TCP wrappers
are freely available. It's the most elegant approach IMHO. If we're
talking stock netatalk w/ Atalk only, there's no way to filter at all
(that I know of) unless you start segmenting your AppleTalk network so
undesirables can't see the netatalk box. Or if you're running
something obscure like a IP tunnel for Atalk. Basically though, if you
want to filter connections to netatalk, use asun and TCP wrappers.
Works great for me.

Previously...
>> protocol (which happens to be ddp) because it said it was unrecognized. 
_________
mike ([email-masked])
I will not bury the new kid
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson

---

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Jul 1998 11:13:10 +0300

> protocol (which happens to be ddp) because it said it was unrecognized. 

DDP (AppleTalk) isn't IP, so it doesn't use IP addresses, either. It
uses AppleTalk zone:node addressing, and IP firewalls or TCP wrappers
will not affect it.

However, Netatalk+asun and recent MacOS versions support
AppleShare/IP, which is the afpd filing protocol over TCP/IP. Besides
being faster, it will allow you to restrict access using IP
firewalling or TCP wrappers. Of course, unless you modify Netatalk,
afpd will still work over DDP as well.. You can't disable the entire
DDP protocol support in the kernel because not only would netatalk
refuse to work (without modifications), but the MacOS Chooser depends
on it as well.

-- 
For a holy stint, a moth of the cloth gave up his woolens for lint. 
Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>