Subject: [netatalk-admins] PostScript File Corruption

From: [email-masked] (Lee Blevins)
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 08:04:05 -0500

I have tried to disable the CRLF in netatalk to prevent the line endings
in postscript files from being translated but I am unseccesful. I am
using 1.4b2.

Things I have trie (thank you to those who suggested them.)

In Applevolumes.system I have put #'s before each of the lines that
relate to text files. I have take the #'s off both and tried each of the
two variations of one with and one without. 

After each edit of the file I rebooted to insure the appletalk daemons
were restarted. If there's an easier way I'd welcome the suggestion. I'm
not very experienced with unix.

I tried commenting out and also removing the -DCRLF in the afpd
Makefile. Recompiled (I deleted the previous /usr/local/atalk/*
directories to insure that they were recreated) and reinstalled (make
make install.)

I've tried various combinations of the these rebooting, recompiling,
etc.

After each case, when I transfer a postscript file from a mac to a
netatalk vol, the line endings are translated making the file not
readable by the postscript rip. 

I can "more" the file on the unix machine and see the files are changed.
The one copied to the netatlk vol as a text file shows line endings and
the one sent with it's file type changed shows a continuous run of
characters with no line endings.

Is there something I'm missing? Does anybody know the absolute way to
stop this CRLF translation from taking place?

I would hope others see there seriousness of this for use in a prepress
environmnet. Work arounds such as changing the file type are not
practical since the rip needs to see them as a text file or they don't
appear in the getfile dialog. Even the act of printing the ps file to
the local disk and changing it's type before then copying to a server
vol are an extra step that takes time.

Is there anyone who can help me turn this translation off? Am I editing
the wrong files or editing them in the wrong way?

---

From: Les Barstow <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 13:35:31 -0500

I wound up adding a #undef CRLF in ./etc/afpd/fork.c.  I don't know why,
but the CRLF was being defined somewhere I couldn't track down.  This
did the trick.

HTH,
Les Barstow
System Administrator
ENTIRE/UFO Systems, AHT Companies
[email-masked]

> in postscript files from being translated but I am unseccesful. I am
[...]

> environmnet.

Exactly where we're using it.

> Work arounds such as changing the file type are not

Agreed.

---

From: Cameron Hart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 08:46:20 +1300

CLRF is defined in etc/afpd/Makefile on the CFLAGS line.

---

From: [email-masked] (Lee Blevins)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 20:39:51 -0500

> CLRF is defined in etc/afpd/Makefile on the CFLAGS line.
snip

My unix ignorance showed here.

I edited the afp makefile. The reason it wasn't working was I did a make
and make install after editing. 

Doing a "make clean" solved the problem.

Seems the .o files needed to be recreated after editing the afp
makefile.

Wheeewww. To not be a unix geek and try to make netatalk work.

Well, the good news is it's a screamer. I set up a netatalk server
running right along side the NT box and today it was great. 3X the speed
of appletalk and I even think the Rampage RIP's are getting data faster
from the BSD box than the NT server (via ftp.)

When I started on this learning process just a few months ago there were
three things that were obstacles to me.

1) Netatalk+asun only exported the users home dir. Most people didn't
see this problem because there were adding the +asun version to an
existing install. The problem only showed up if the +asun version was
the first time install.

2) There was a problem with a batch file we were using to rename files.
Since Mac users would include /'s in their file names Rampage issued
something called "NT Renamer." It's a Mac droplet that we put the hold
job folder on. Somehow all the files got a "-1" appended to their name.

3) The postscript file problem with the CRLF translation. (my ignorance,
not really a problem.)

Well, as of Asun 2.1.1 it looks like all three are fixed. I'll run this
test box for a few weeks and then it's bye bye NT. The first day is very
promising.

to all that offered help, a very very big thank you. 
To Mr. Sun, you are an incredible person to give your time to create
such a wonderful gift to the world of appletalk networking.
To anyone in a prepress environment, you really should check this out.