Subject: [netatalk-admins] time out problme

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:30:30 -0800 (PST)

I am running a FreeBSD box on a 486 120 w/ a DEC isa ether net card, when
I have the box hooked up (and configed) at the school it works great.
However when I take it home atalkd runs fine I can see other devices on
the network and tell net form them to the box. But every time I try to
regedter a device on the network it gives me a time out error. I am
stumped. I have gone as far as to reformat and reinstall and it still
dosen't work. If someone has any great advice PLEASE let me know.

Thanks 
Shawn Cupples
South Eugene High School
(541) 687-3122

---

From: Casey Bisson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 15:10:41 -0500

I may have had a similar problem sometime ago. We were using an old 486 DX4100
with a DEC EtherWorks 10bT adapter.

When we fired netatlk up while on a network with a PowerBook, a hub, and the
netatlk server, it ran fine. But when we tried to integrate it with the rest of
the network, it was blind to the world. That is, IP services worked fine, but it
would not register itself as an AFP server.

We had our network engineer working on the problem, sniffing packets, and pulling
his hair out untill he turned around and said it was a systems problem.

We tried all sorts of solutions: we started with the FreeBSD pkg, we downloaded
many different sources and compiled those. Reformat, reinstall. We tried asun's
patched sources, and IP only AFP services worked fine. We tried all this
repeatedly, and at the time, we kept good notes about what we tried, and how
miserably it failed.

We eventually gave up and ordered a fairlyy hopped up pentium machine to run WinNT
and use Microsoft's appleshare server for NT.

Just so that we could say we didn't give up without a fight, we intalled FreeBSD
and the netatalk pkg on the new machine. It ran beautifully, and still does. We've
upgraded to the asun patched version, and it runs well. What can I say that will
help you? Not much. The fact is, I didn't understand the problem and thus cannot
fathom the solution. I suppose that's why I believe in luck and other inexplicable
things.

Mainly, we blame the problems on the ethenet card. We've had problems with
EtherWorks cards in the past, and nobody from DEC was around to defend the card.
For the record, we are now running FreeBSD 2.2.5 on a Dell Optiplex 166MHz Pentium
with 80MB of RAM and a 3com 10/100 card.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 15:20:53 -0800 (PST)

> would not register itself as an AFP server.

I can see the rest of the network, in both instances, but When it is off
by its self with a mac and/or other random network hardware it just wont
do it
 
> repeatedly, and at the time, we kept good notes about what we tried, and how
Boy this sounds way to fimiliar 
> and use Microsoft's appleshare server for NT.

I think I am going to insstall win NT on this box and DSBreeF on A k6 I
just bought.

> with 80MB of RAM and a 3com 10/100 card.

Unforutnatley It is not the card, sience your message I tried it with a
ne2000 clone and a 3-com 509 card. I am beging to think it might be a
mother bord promlme. Do you happen to know what mother board you had in
that machine? Did you install of of a CD or Network connection?

I have this real problme with just givin up, you understand. I have spent
way to manny hours on this to just give up. Any advice you might have
would be greatley appreicated.
Shawn Cupples
South Eugene High School
(541) 687-3122