Subject: [netatalk-admins] MacAdministrator and Netatalk

From: Cameron Hart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 12:30:39 +1300

I have just been experimenting with using Netatalk in conjunction with
Hi-Resolutions MacAdministrator package. I didn't have much success and
am hoping that someone else might know what I am doing wrong. Firstly I
am running Netatalk 1.4b2 + asun2.1.0-5 on Redhat Linux 5.1 with the
2.0.35 kernel. I compiled Netatalk by hand with PAM support. I am using
MacAdministrator 1.6.1

I can happily connect to my Netatalk AFP server from the chooser as a
registered user. I cannot however change the password from the chooser,
which is unrelated to MacAdmin but will cause problems. So I guess I
need to know how to enable this?

The next problem is the MacAdmin automount seems to refuse to mount my
share from my NetAtalk server. This is what gets logged into syslog when
I attempt to log in:

Aug 13 08:01:05 x-files afpd[725]: session from 21.197:227 on 21.225:129

Aug 13 08:01:05 x-files PAM_pwdb[725]: (netatalk) session opened for
user jdoe by (uid=0)
Aug 13 08:01:05 x-files afpd[725]: login jdoe (uid 1076, gid 1076)
Aug 13 08:01:05 x-files PAM_pwdb[725]: (netatalk) session closed for
user jdoe
Aug 13 08:01:05 x-files afpd[725]: done
Aug 13 08:01:05 x-files afpd[297]: server_child[0] 725 done
Aug 13 08:01:36 x-files afpd[726]: session from 21.197:227 on 21.225:129

Aug 13 08:01:47 x-files afpd[726]: atp_rresp: Connection timed out
Aug 13 08:01:57 x-files afpd[726]: afp_die: asp_shutdown: Connection
timed out
Aug 13 08:01:57 x-files afpd[726]: 0.05KB read, 0.00KB written
Aug 13 08:01:57 x-files afpd[297]: server_child[0] 726 done

What seems to happen is the user jdoe connects and authenticates
successfully, disconnects then another session following shortly
afterwards times out. On the MacAdmin side of things, the connection to
the file server times out after a while.

The other thing I tried was to change my password from MacAdmin, which
it attempted to do even though I had failed to connect successfully to
the file server. Of course it didn't work :-) This is the output into
syslog:

Aug 13 08:06:02 x-files afpd[728]: session from 21.197:227 on 21.225:129

Aug 13 08:06:02 x-files PAM_pwdb[728]: (netatalk) session opened for
user jdoe by (uid=0)
Aug 13 08:06:02 x-files afpd[728]: login jdoe (uid 1076, gid 1076)
Aug 13 08:06:02 x-files PAM_pwdb[728]: check pass; user unknown
Aug 13 08:06:03 x-files PAM_pwdb[728]: (netatalk) session closed for
user jdoe
Aug 13 08:06:03 x-files afpd[728]: 0.09KB read, 0.00KB written
Aug 13 08:06:03 x-files afpd[297]: server_child[0] 728 done

This time check pass fails. Perhaps this is related to me not being able
to change passwords from the chooser?

If anybody can help me with this, it would be _greatly_ appreciated!

Thanks,

Cameron Hart

---

From: Cameron Hart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 13:58:53 +1300

> the file server times out after a while.

What happens here is MacAdmin first authenticates against my server, then
it tries to automount my volume, which is where the process fails.