Subject: [netatalk-admins] How to start atalkd on multiple virtual eths

From: Attila Kaan Salci <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 09:43:52 +0000

Hi,

I apologize myself if this is a already discussed topic, but I didn't
find anything on the archives.
I'm running a Linux/Intel box RH5.1 with kernel 2.0.35. Installed
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 everuthing was working fine, until when we
had to change IP's,  classes etc. First we had 1 C class and the Linux
box and Macs were all in the same. Now we have more C classes, different
than before, and the Linux box has its primary eth in a different class
than the macs. The linux box has also virtual IP's eth0:0, eth0:1,
eth0:2 on the other classes and one of these (eth0:1) is on the same
class as the Macs. Ah there is no router between these different classes
as all the boxes are in the same physical ethernet. Say
XXX.YYY.0.0/255.255.254.0 for the Linux box and
XXX.YYY.1.0/255.255.254.0 for the Macs.
When I start atalkd, it says eth0:0: disabled. eth0:1: disabled. eth0:2:
disabled. and it registers itself on the old IP address although the new
IP address is on the eth0. 
I tried to put an empty atalkd.conf, to put one with the line
eth0 -phase 2 -seed 10-20 -net 10.5 -zone "Twilight zone"
but always the same problem.

What I have to do in order to have eth0 on XXX.YYY.0.0 and eth0:1 on
XXX.YYY.1.0 and to have Macs seeing my atalkd ??
Any ideas?

	Thanks
	Kaan