Subject: [netatalk-admins] Afpd using the wrong Net address

From: Stefano Carlotto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 22:57:02 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear sirs,

I have a linux box with two ethernet card between two little ethertalk
networks, used as a router between them and as a little common repository.
One of the two ethernet is a fast ethernet. Linux is kernel 2.0.33,
netatalk is 1.4b2  with two patches, the macos8 patch and the afpd free
space calculation.
The macs are 1 G3, 1 powerpc, 1 Quadra800, 1 700 ed un 950. Mac OS 8.0 and
one 7.6.1

This system work quite well since almost two years.

But, and this is the problem, since a month or two ago, I can't connect
the fact to any change in the situation nor software, almost every file
that passes from one net to the other get corrupted. I checked every
single ethercard and cable and passive apparates, but with no results.
Now, nevertheless, I can say that only the files that passes through the
netatalk boex get corrupted, the ones that pass from one net to the other,
no important wich net first.
Today I checked around trying to find some ideas.. and I find a very
strange thing: I'm not absolutely sure that it wasn't already so before
problems arises, but now the afpd register all the services on the right
zone but with a net address of the wrong zone.
Since the beginning, I' ve assigned two zone and two range of net address
not overlapping hard written in atalkd.conf
Now at the startup atalkd register itself in the right zone, the one
relatives to the eth0 of linux, but with a net address of the other zone
relative with the eth1.
If I unregister it, and register it again, giving the name of one zone
results with the services announced in the right zone but with an address
taken from the wrong zone!
Even if it apparently works, apart from the file getting corrupted, it
doesn't seems a correct thing...
As soon as I can, I'll try to upgrade the kernel to the latest version...
but in the meantime have you have any idea???

thanks a lot!

Stefano Carlotto