Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk+asun and Samba bypassSTGspamstuff.

From: Capriotti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:40:50 -0300

I am still facing those problems mentioned before.

The asun2.0a18.2 SEEMS to make the problem even worse.

The problem again:

Files created on Mac (Using Photoshop) Can be opened on other Macs AND PCs
w/ Windows or in the FreeBSD (using Gimp).

Files created on Windows OR FreeBSD WILL NOT be oppened on Macs, no matter
what OS they are using.

for this test, I had a FreeBSD server AND a Netware server. I copied a
working file from the the FreeBSD volume to the Netware volume and the PCs
w/ Windows no longer were albe to opne the file.

I thought it could be the cr<->lf translation, and then commented out all
the lines in the AppleVolume.system.dist file, regarding dile types. 

Additionally I also alternated the 
.    BINA     UNIX

and

.    TEXT    UNIX

lines (and booting the machine) but there was no positive effect.

Any further suggestions ?

In time: I've changed the MakeFile of asun to work w/ the FreeBSD system.
Nothing too deep, just commented out a couple of lines about encryptation
and other. If it matters, I can send the makefile.

My guess is that netatalk is still messing up the cr<->lf xlation, so, I am
about to take Rob Newberry's suggestion/code and make my priv distribution
w/ volume level control of that feature.

Suggestion: Why not adding it to the asun "branch" ? I know umich will
hardly change it's distros, as far as I could see from rob's comments, so
maybe Adrian could do us all this favor. 

It is not a BIG feature, but might help a couple of "lost souls" like me
and a couple houndred of doomed admins around the globe who might be facing
the MacOS AND Windows file sharing challange.

---

From: "Glenn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 08:22:20 +1100

I get the impression your [Rob from PayPC] from what you wrote that you
issues revolve around text files. Mine mostly revolve around jpg/gif - An
image created with gimp, and opened with adobe on mac may a) refuse to open,
b) be mangeled or c) be perfectly ok  - Use image ready on pc via samba and
100% ok
Glenn