Subject: [netatalk-admins] Linux, Netatalk and disappearing Server (fwd)

From: Paonia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 21:26:43 -0400 (EDT)

Here is email from our revrdist person. In going back over the archive of
netatalk-admins it seems other people have had this problem anyone come
up with a way of fixing it once and for all.
thanks
paonia
> 
> We  use a Linux server running Netatalk 1.4b2 as file server for our
> RevRdist masters.  We have this problem where the server doesn't show up
> in the chooser. This disappearing act is completely random affecting one
> or two machines at a time but not others.   I know it isn't a
> general network problem because other networked machines show up in the
> chooser.  I know that the server isn't down because it will show up in the
> chooser on other machines in the labs.  Sometimes it will go away when you
> reboot or if you change the Appletalk settings and then change them back
> (though this fix doesn't seem to work with OS 8.1).
> 
> We have applied the Appleshare IP patches (not asun) as well as the Mac
> OS 8 dancing icon patch and the be free patch to Netatalk but it doesn't
> solve the problem.  
> 
> Thanks in advance for your assistance.
> 
> Meg
>