Subject: [netatalk-admins] Question on accessing remote volumes over TCP/IP...

From: Harry Zink <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:00:01 -0800

I was wondering...

If I install asun's TCP installation on my web-server (which is hosted 
quite a ways from my perosnal location), can I then mount my server's 
volumes directly on my Mac desktop?

I understand that TCP access provides a speed boost in local (LAN) 
environments, but I'm wondering if I can also benefit on remote volumes, 
hosted elsewhere?

Yes, I know, I could also just install it, and see what happens, but I'm 
wondering if anyone else has done this, and what their results/findings 
were.

Thanks,

Harry

---

From: "Paul J. Schinder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:22:03 -0500

On Fri, Mar 20, 1998 at 10:00:01AM -0800, Harry Zink wrote:
} I was wondering...
} 
} If I install asun's TCP installation on my web-server (which is hosted 
} quite a ways from my perosnal location), can I then mount my server's 
} volumes directly on my Mac desktop?

Yeah, sure.  I do this over my PPP link on occasion.  At 33.6k, it's
not something I do every day, but it does work.

} 
} I understand that TCP access provides a speed boost in local (LAN) 
} environments, but I'm wondering if I can also benefit on remote volumes, 
} hosted elsewhere?

I haven't directly compared speed to ARA because I used ARA so rarely,
but I didn't notice any spectacular improvement.  The nice thing is
that you don't have to switch into ARA just to mount remote disks.

} 
} Yes, I know, I could also just install it, and see what happens, but I'm 
} wondering if anyone else has done this, and what their results/findings 
} were.
} 
} Thanks,
} 
} Harry

-- 
--------
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
[email-masked]