Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] persistent DIDs - half-baked or totally baked?

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 23:32:09 +0200

Just FYI:

One way to implement persistent DIDs has been around for years and is
available with the CAP appletalk package. There is a separate daemon
that cap calls when needed. How the daemon keeps track of the DIDs I
don't know, but it worked. As for performance, I'm not sure. CAP is
slower than netatalk even without the extra daemon.

http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/appletalk/cap.html

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 05:26:20 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi Palle,

> slower than netatalk even without the extra daemon.

We decided not to use an external daemon, because there are installations,
where one file repository is mounted by multiple machines over NFS, and
then those machines serve it out through AFP. An external daemon in this
case would not be feasible, because the daemons (one on each host serving
out through AFP) would need to communicate between each other; that would
need another protocol, and this didn't seem to be feasible to implement
right now.

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]

---

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 16:47:23 +0200

> need another protocol, and this didn't seem to be feasible to implement

Seems like a correct decision. 

Regards,
Palle