Subject: [netatalk-admins] limit guest access

From: Galen Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 15:52:52 -0500

Is there a way to disable guest access or restrict netatalk to the local
subnet?  I don't
want to restrict read permission on Unix filesystems (the locals will
not stand for it), but I'd like to either:

	1) force netatalk users to login with their id (no guest access)
or	2) restrict netatalk to the current subnet

Option 1 seems best if there's a way ?

-Galen 
-- 
____________________________________________________________________________
Galen W. Arnold, systems programmer/analyst   
[email-masked]
Illinois State Geological Survey, Champaign, IL 61820         (217)
244-2514
____________________________________________________________________________

---

From: Dudley Lamming <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 17:46:44 EDT

Aren't guest logins restricted to the volumes listed in Applevolumes.default? 
I thought so, anyway. In this case, you could just delete this file,
or list null volumes. 

-------------
Dudley Lamming                    3 Ames Street, Munroe 501
(617)225-6501                     Cambridge, MA, 02139
http://web.mit.edu/dlamming/www
You seem a decent fellow, I hate to kill you. -And I hate to die.

---

From: Galen Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:59:16 -0500

> I thought so, anyway. In this case, you could just delete this file,

The volumes in question are listed in AppleVolumes.system.  Only ~
($HOME) is listed in AppleVolumes.default.  Guest can access the volumes
listed in the .system file (what I don't want).

-Galen

---

From: Ashok Aiyar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 17:09:37 -0500 (CDT)

> listed in the .system file (what I don't want).

Read the afpd manpage.  It is trivial to disable guest access by passing
to afpd the "-G" command line option.

Later,
Ashok
-- 
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research
[email-masked]