Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk

From: James Banks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 17:19:01 -0800

1) Is there a facility for creating resource records for files sent from other platforms eg: telling netatalk what the resource record for a file with the .tif extension from a PC is?  When is appears in the finder on the mac, it will have the proper icon and programs such as photoshop will recognise what it is?

2) Can you set up public volumns?

3) Add login mappings to workstations?

Jim Banks

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 11:06:19 +0000 (GMT)

> 1) Is there a facility for creating resource records for files sent from other platforms eg: telling netatalk what the resource record for a file with the .tif extension from a PC is?  When is appe…
   recognise what it is?

Yes. There are entries in the AppleVolumes.system file which specify this.
I recommend setting the default entry to BINA/UNIX rather than TEXT/UNIX
so files without recognised extensions don't get the CR<->LF treatment.
[Or alternatively, if the CR/LF translation isn't important to you,
compile it out.]

> 2) Can you set up public volumes?
Yes. See man afpd(8). The guest account defaults to nobody, but can be set
with the -g option.

> 3) Add login mappings to workstations?
I don't know.

--
fsck -f -b 8193 /dev/cortex