Subject: RE: [netatalk-admins] Rhapsody

From: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 09:45:01 -0700

>Rhapsody was just the os's code name, so MacOS X Server *IS* rhapsody
1.0 renamed.

Not quite.

Rhapsody as it stands now is Appleified NextStep.  MacOX X is that whole
"Carbon" based thingamabob that's a hybred of the best of OS 8 and
NextStep/Rhapsody.

In any event for Apple to *NOT* put AppleTalk support in would just be
weird.  Think of it like Apple not putting AppleTalk support into OS
8.5.  Better still, think of porting Netatalk to MacOS X/Rhapsody as
porting Netatalk to today's Mac OS 8.

Marc
> ----------
> From: 	Sean Murphy
> Sent: 	Monday, July 27, 1998 9:12 AM
> To: 	[email-masked]
> Subject: 	[netatalk-admins] Rhapsody
> 
> >As I hear it from the Apple folks in my area, there will really be no
> >commercial release of "Rhapsody".  What will be released is a "MacOS
> X
> >Server" and "MacOS X Workstation".
> 
> Rhapsody was just the os's code name, so MacOS X Server *IS* rhapsody
> 1.0 renamed.
> 
> >I assume that Appletalk server support (beyond File Sharing) will be
> at
> 
> >least a part of the server version if not both MacOS X flavors.
> >Kind of makes Netatalk under MacOS X a moot point.
> 
> John's earlier e-mail about getting a port made me think that perhaps
> rhapsody did not include appletalk file server support....  does
> anyone
> know if this is right or wrong?  It would seem trange for them to not,
> but then it is based on Next and apple may have gone in for tcp/ip...
> 
> 
> ---------------------------
> >      Sean Murphy        <
> >                         <
> >   Lightbulb Graphics    <
> >                         <
> >  [email-masked]   <
> > [email-masked] <
> ---------------------------
> 
>

---

From: Sean Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:02:39 -0700

> "Carbon" based thingamabob that's a hybred of the best of OS 8 and

MacOS X is, as you say, but MacOS X Server is a totaly diferent OS - it is
rhapsody in it's curent form.  Naturaly a carbon upgrade to it's yellow-box
will be released....   This re-naming was just a marketing thing on apple's
part.

Sean

---

From: Cameron Hart <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 14:35:55 +1200

>From what I have heard the DR2 of Rhapsody doesn't contain the AppleTalk
API as it has changed from DR 1. Also I don't think that Apple have
committed to providing an Appleshare Server for MacOS X Server. Perhaps
they are expecting a 3rd party to fill the gap?

Cam.