Subject: [netatalk-admins] Writing Stuffit archives with Perl

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 09:59:04 +0100

Does anyone know of any code which does the above ? I've sent this to the
MacPerl and Netatalk lists - not directly relevant to either, but I want to
write the archives on a Linux box running Netatalk, and I imagine it could
be of interest to many MacPerl users.

I already have some C code which does this - it came with CAP and although
it only supported either the CAP way of storing Mac files or the 3 file
method (.info, .rsrc, .data) it wasn't a huge amount of work to modify it
to use AppleDouble format.

However, I want to integrate this into a web site which is Perl based and
has libraries which will provide some of the information the stuffit
archive needs and it would be more convenient to have it all in Perl.

Kindest regards,

Niall  O Broin

UNIX Network Administrator               Ground Systems Engineering
Department
European Space Operations Centre         [email-masked]
Darmstadt, Germany                 Ph./Fax  +49 6151 90 3619/2179

---

From: Chris Nandor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 07:46:32 -0400

>archive needs and it would be more convenient to have it all in Perl.

There is no way to make stuffit archives (with the current version of the
algorithms) without the Stuffit program, AFAIK.  There is no Unix version
of stuffit even available.  The only version you can get for Unix is the
old algorithm.  I've tried to get Stuffit for Unix, and word is that the
company is thinking about a Unix version.

The only way I know of to make Stuffit files (with the current algorithms)
is to send Apple Events to DropStuff or Stuffit Deluxe.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:[email-masked]         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])