Subject: [netatalk-admins] How to work with SAMBA?

From: [email-masked] (Takehide Nomura)
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 21:27:18 +0900

Hello,

I have a linux box (kernel 2.0.33) and really want to make it a file
server for both Mac and Windows cliants because the current file
server powered by Windows NT Server is too slow for us!

I installed Netatalk and SAMBA and suceeded in serving files, however,
I found that any Windows user can open, edit and save files while Mac
users are using the same files and any Mac users can do the same while
Windows users are using the same files, also.

My goal is to serve the same files, especially FileMakerPro databases,
for both Mac and Windows users just like NT Server does.  The read
only access is not enough.  I serched the patch files to solve this
problems but I could not.  Can anyone tell me how to solve this
problem?  Does anyone know some patches are available on Internet?

Regards,
Takehide Nomura

---

From: Magnus Stenman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 13:40:55 +0100

We should *really* have something about this in the FAQ

Replacing NT as a Mac/Win server is a big "market"
for us, and issues like file locking, special characters
e.a. is very important, especially when M$ supporters start
with their FUD...

It would be very nice if we could cooperate/integrate with
samba even more.

/magnus

---

From: Dejan Ilic <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 12:31:47 +0100 (MET)

> It would be very nice if we could cooperate/integrate with

I have been told by the person that made the basic NetAtalk-code in
Samba that he will add more support before Samba-2 is released, so
that resource and dataforks won't get out of sync when handling the
files in Samba.

Yes, I'm using Samba-2beta in "production" envirovment, but with
KaShare commercial AppleTalk-server. Getting Samba & NetAtalk in to
cooperate would be a big thing to convince others to move to it ASAP.

Dejan
=====================================================================
Dejan Ilic, Tech Univ. of Linkoping, Sweden    Phone:+46-13-473 01 06
Email: [email-masked]   Web: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~svedja
=====================================================================
[finger -l [email-masked] for public PGP key]