Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk and OS 8.1

From: Anthony Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 98 13:43:51 -0500

I just installed the upgrade to MacOS 8.1 and now my shared volumes are 
doing the "skipping icons" thing. This was a problem with our NT server 
and I had a lot of people convinced that Linux was way cooler because it 
didn't do things like that (and because it is much faster). But as we get 
ready to migrate towards 8.1 I will need to find a solution to this 
problem. Anybody have any thoughts?

Also I would be really interested in hearing about peoples experiences 
with RAID and netatalk. I just started working for this company and the 
old sys admin had them going down the NT path. I would like to change 
that. It is a little disconcerting that umich is apparently not 
"supporting" the distribution, but should I be worried?

Thanks,

Anthony Johnston
System Administrator
Silverchair Science & Communications

---

From: Jonathan Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 18:50:53 +0000

At 01:43 PM 3/12/98 -0500, Anthony Johnston wrote:
>doing the "skipping icons" thing. 

>problem. Anybody have any thoughts?

get the asun version, this seems to have an effective cure:

ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/ 

Available as patches or new source tree. Various folk have found the
patches hard to use, so you might want the source tree. Note, the Makefile
in the source tree is not the same as the 'official' dist (1.4b2), so
you'll need to read the docs.

>"supporting" the distribution, but should I be worried?

Only if someone creates a superior product for NT..... I'm not aware of
anything beyond the default 'services for Mac', which is pretty basic.

--------
Jon Peterson	[email-masked]	+44 (0)171 613 5300
Internet Developer

When she told me I was average, she was just being mean.

---

From: "Paul M. Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 12:51:44 -0600 (CST)

> problem. Anybody have any thoughts?

Have you applied the "Dancing Icons" patches from umich (or have the latest
asun)

> "supporting" the distribution, but should I be worried?

I use netatalk/samba/nfs to share 30 GB on a Pentium Pro 200 w/64MB ram and
100BaseT. The RAID is stripped using the Linux md drivers and it works
great.. Good response even under load and have had no problems. The only thing
is the mac's only show 4GB available (no big deal)..

Paul

---

From: Dwight Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:51:50 -0500 (EST)

> anything beyond the default 'services for Mac', which is pretty basic. 

Well, a company called Mirimar Systems recently shipped MacLan for Windows
NT which provides a AFP fileserver, PAP spooling and printing and the
ability to mount a remote AFP server.

---
Dwight Kelly
Essential Technical Services, Inc.  
315 Allen Street Cumming, GA 30130
voice:(770) 889-2848  fax:(770) 889-2624 Internet:[email-masked]
http://www.etsinc.com