Subject: [netatalk-admins] Problems with afpd re: locked files and Trash

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 98 16:44:23 PST

Help!

Here's my setup:

Red Hat Linux 5.0
netatalk 1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2
MacOS 7.5.5 (AppleShare 3.7.2) and MacOS 8.1 (AppleShare 3.7.4)

Ok, first the nasty problem - locked files on afpd volumes aren't really locked!
I create a file, save it to an afpd volume, close it.  Go to the Finder, Get
Info, lock the file.  Double-click to open it again, Finder says the usual "file
is locked" bit.  File appears in the application.  Modify something, do
command-S -- the file is saved even though locked!  Look back in the Finder, the
file has indeed been modified (and sometimes it isn't locked anymore).

This has not occurred in all applications, some appear to "see" the lock and
refuse to save the file.  One application in which it does occur is Microsoft
Word, which is about 90% of the use here, so this is a serious problem.  I can
of course "lock" files from the Linux side with "chmod a-w", but that's no
solution; it seems like afpd should be doing that itself if it's necessary!  Am
I missing something?

Second problem, less serious but no less annoying - Trash on shared volumes
doesn't work.  The problem is a volume that is shared by several users won't let
most of them use the Trash, they get the message:

    The item cannot be left in the Trash,
    do you want to delete it immediately?

If I disconnect everybody and "rm -rf 'Network Trash Folder'", then *one* person
(whoever gets there first) can get the Trash to work properly, but nobody else
can.  This of course sounds like a privileges problem, but I've tried everything
I can think of on that front.  All the users can write  files elsewhere in the
volume and it's folders, it's only the Trash that doesn't work.  I even tried
"chmod -R o+rwx 'Network Trash Folder'", but that didn't help, so I'm pretty
sure this isn't a case of the Linux filesystem preventing access.  I don't know
if this is related or not, but /var/log/messages gets these:

Mar 13 14:34:10 blackbox PAM_pwdb[1233]: byte lock: Trash Can Usage Map: 0

about the time somebody tries to trash something.  BTW, the "PAM_pwdb" should
say "afpd", shouldn't it?  Looks like a bug in the PAM code in afpd, is it
related?

These problems just appeared after transitioning to netatalk over the past few
days, the old file server was a "real" AppleShare server, 4.2.1 running on a
PMac 7600.  I don't want to go back, I'm still getting compliments about the 2x
speed increase!  But if I can't get netatalk to work right...

Any suggestions?

Bob Smith
Hammett & Edison, Inc.
[email-masked]