Subject: [netatalk-admins] zip -gnireply problem.

From: Aaron Konstam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 14:45:44 -0500

Since we enabled netatalk and appletalk printing we get
  very frequesnt messages of the kind below in the /var/log/messages file.
  Can anyone explain what they mean and how they can be stopped?
(Netatalk is being used on RedHat 4.2 and 5.0 on a Pentium machines)
  -------------------------------------------------
  May 14 21:50:55 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip ignoring gnireply
  May 14 21:50:55 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip gnireply from 10.47 (eth0 b2)
  May 14 21:50:55 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip ignoring gnireply
  May 14 21:50:55 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip gnireply from 18.164 (eth0 b2)
  May 14 21:50:55 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip ignoring gnireply
  May 14 21:51:14 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip gnireply from 10.63 (eth0 b2)
  May 14 21:51:14 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip ignoring gnireply
  May 14 21:51:14 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip gnireply from 10.47 (eth0 b2)
  May 14 21:51:14 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip ignoring gnireply
  May 14 21:51:14 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip gnireply from 13.1 (eth0 b2)
  May 14 21:51:14 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip ignoring gnireply
  May 14 21:51:14 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip gnireply from 18.164 (eth0 b2)
  May 14 21:51:14 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip ignoring gnireply
  May 14 21:51:14 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip gnireply from 10.238 (eth0 b2)
  May 14 21:51:14 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip ignoring gnireply
  May 14 21:52:27 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip gnireply from 10.238 (eth0 b2)
  May 14 21:52:27 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip ignoring gnireply
  May 14 21:52:27 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip gnireply from 10.63 (eth0 b2)
  May 14 21:52:27 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip ignoring gnireply
  May 14 21:52:27 Bianca atalkd[404]: zip gnireply from 13.1 (eth0 b2)
--

-------------------------------------------
Aaron Konstam         
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.
San Antonio, TX 78212-7200

telephone: (210)-736-7484 fax: (210)-736-7477
email:[email-masked]

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 08:14:40 +0200

>  Can anyone explain what they mean and how they can be stopped?

This is normal and has no harm.
If somebody restarts an AppleTalk device (Mac, Linux Box, etc), it tries to configure it's interface(s). The seeding router in the net sends (broadcasts?) messages to tell zones, network range and other stuff to the net "zip gnireply from 10.238 (eth0 b2)". Your machine has already configured its interface, so "zip ignoring gnireply" appears.

:wq! PoC