Subject: [netatalk-admins] STREAMS ???

From: [email-masked] (Bernard Giroux)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 17:51:09 -0500

Hi again,

I'm still trying to get netatalk running on my solaris 2.6 machine...
(I actually had it running on a SunOS 4.1.3 machine with a OS 7.5 mac, but
since the upgrade...)

I'd like to know the difference le0 or eth0 in atalkd.conf make.  Also, I 
just restarted "sh rc.atalkd start" with eth0 in atalkd.conf to get:

# sh rc.atalk start
starting appletalk daemons: can't establish STREAMS plumbing, exiting.
 atalkdnbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
Can't register ithaca:Workstation@*
nbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
Can't register ithaca:netatalk@*
 nbprgstr papd afpd.

Where to get the unbuggy STREAMS stuff Adrain Sun is talking about in his README
file???

thanks again

____________________________________________________________________

Bernard Giroux                          Département des génies CGM
Étudiant Ph.D. géophysique              École Polytechnique
                                        C.P. 6079, succ. A
                                        Montréal, Qc
Tel: (514) 340-4711, ext. 4560          H3C 3A7
Fax: (514) 340-3970                     CANADA

_____________________________________________________________________

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 00:04:47 +0000 (GMT)

> just restarted "sh rc.atalkd start" with eth0 in atalkd.conf to get:

Some Unices call their Ethernet interfaces le and others eth. I have no
idea why this is so, but presumably things won't work unless you use the
one appropriate to your platform.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594

---

From: Edan Idzerda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 21:42:27 -0500 (EST)

> I'm still trying to get netatalk running on my solaris 2.6 machine...

check out 

	http://www.cec.mtu.edu/Doc/FAQ/netatalk.html

particularly for a version to download and try.

> just restarted "sh rc.atalkd start" with eth0 in atalkd.conf to get:

le stands for Lance Ethernet, the ethernet that Sun used for a long time... 
do a 'man le' on your machine, if you don't believe me.  :)

I think 'eth' is just short for ethernet.  That's probably what they call
the ethernet device on PC unices.

Sun's new hme device is short for "HoMEy."   (well, no.)

- edan

--
Edan Idzerda	<[email-masked]>
System Administrator --  Michigan Technological University, Houghton MI USA

---

From: "Sean A. Snyder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 08:06:55 -0500

> Sun's new hme device is short for "HoMEy."   (well, no.)

Not to be anal, BUUUUUT, according to some Sun support documentation 
that I've got on their various 100mbit ethernet products, the hme 
stands for "Happy Meal Ethernet".  This stands to reason, since 
the old half-duplex 100mbit be device name stood for "BigMac Ethernet".

Is it just me, or does it seem like somebody at Sun got a case
of the munchies???

Sean
(Go Tech!)

-- 
___________________________________________                         
Sean A. Snyder ([email-masked])         \ Strange but not a stranger
Systems Administrator                       \ I'm an ordinary guy... 
Campbell-Ewald Advertising/C-E Communications\_________________________