Subject: [netatalk-admins] Solaris, AFS and afpd...

From: Everette Gray Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 09:18:01 -0500

So I am not sure where my problem is.  I setup 1.4b2 (971027, no patches)
to compile and run with kerberos and AFS support.  I configure netatalk  to
install in /netatalk and run afpd as
/netatalk/etc/afpd -G -C (no cleartext or guest login).  I then set up my
/etc/srvtab to have afpserver.<nbpname>@REALM  entry with a known password.
Further I make an identical entry in the afs kas database with the same
format and password.  Nothing new here all is documented in the
src/INSTALL/README.AFS and README.SOLARIS.  I have confirmed that the
nbpname used in the /etc/srvtab is the name the server advertises by
default (ie same as using -n <nbpname>).
Now I set up my mac clients with authman and verify that it can
authenticate to my MIT V4 server (even works with kclientman and eudora
4.x)  I install the authman UAM and select the server in the chooser.  Here
is where things go bad.  I always get a message saying "Can't get AFS Token
for " @EOS.NCSU.EDU" Please contact your server administrator" (or
something very close :-).  What happens next can take 2 forms a) drop into
debugger ( I have not made a log yet but I will) or b) present the home dir
for the user which is authenticated to AuthMan but as AFS user
system:anyuser.
The one catch to our kerberos/afs environment is that it is hybred MIT V4
and AFS with no users in the kas db.  The setup is as per
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~shadow/afs/afs-with-kerberos.html
and the cell name of my test netatalk machine does not match my kerberos
realm (nor will it ever).
So my question is why can't the token be retrieved?  If it has to do with
the hybred config has anyone mod'ed netatalk to work and run on solaris
2.x?  (I know about the Stanford mods but they do not run on solaris yet).
Thanks in advance.

Everette Gray Allen                               Consultant IV
Box 7109 NCState Campus                     Computing Services
Raleigh, NC 27695-7109                       919-515-2517

---

From: Jarrod Stenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 10:38:42 -0500

I'm finally starting to look at Samba to complete my non-Novel, non-NT file
serving projects.  I have a "SunOS myserver 5.5.1 Generic_103640-08 sun4u
sparc SUNW,Ultra-1-Engine" running "netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2" with the
eagain and socket patch and the "netatalk-971027" kernel.  I'm so happy with
it!

Anyway I was trying to get Samba running for the sole Windows machine in my
office and stumbled across the Fax serving doc (I want to use this Windows
machine for voice mail possibly with e-mail forwarding of messages).  Wow
would this fax serving be great.  I wonder if maybe you can do a liaison via
the windows machine to a Linux box (via printer sharing?).  Even if this
worked it would bve unsatisfyingly sloppy.  However, if I could get Netatalk
to do it....   I could setup a Redhat box to do this if that is what it takes.

Has anyone tried this?

-jarrod

p.s. Netatalk is a big part of my Unix obsession.  Mucho thanks all.  Also,
starting to learn C++ to give back to the freeware community.

---

From: Rob Newberry <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 11:50:18 -0500 (EST)

> to do it....   I could setup a Redhat box to do this if that is what it takes.

I have one way to share FAX services from UNIX to Macs.  You'll need
HylaFAX (see http://www.vix.com/hylafax) on the UNIX side.

On the Mac side, you'll need MacFlex, my HylaFAX client, which provides
"print-to-fax" from all your Mac applications.  You can find the client
and more information at http://www.eats.com/MacFlex/.

Cheers,

Rob

---

From: Jonathan Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 17:36:27 +0100

Came across another stone on the winding footpath of mac/pc/unix
integration just now.

If a Samba user makes a file with a name over 32 chars, the Macs using
Netatalk (latest asun on linux) can see it just fine, but get wierd errors
using it:

Some apps say 'file not found', but others (such as Office 98) say 'invalid
file type' or just 'can't open file'.

Everything shows up just fine in chooser and in file list windows.

It looks as though it can be renamed, but this seems to crash the Mac
sometimes, and doesn't actually rename the file on the server.

Has anyone else come across these issues or solutions to them?

--------
Jon Peterson	[email-masked]	+44 (0)171 613 5300
64 Paul Street, London, UK
                                          )\._.,--....,'``.
                                         /,   _.. \   _\  (`._ ,.
                                  meow  `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.'

---

From: Andrew Solmssen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 11:37:43 -0700 (PDT)

Agreed - this has been a major problem for us. The only solution I came up
with was to tell people not to make filenames that long. Maybe if netatalk
had a name mangler a la windows short filenames.

---- Andrew

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 02:38:18 +0200

> and more information at http://www.eats.com/MacFlex/.

I wonder, has anyone thought about using LaserWriter 8f, that is, the
PostScript fax version of LaserWriter?

[AFAIK LaserWriter 8f provides a dialog with fields for Addressee, From,
Phone Number, and others, and is integrated to the normal PostScript
workflow like any other LaserWriter.]

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]

---

From: Hannu Krosing <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 12:20:28 +0300

> PostScript fax version of LaserWriter?

there is somethig called lw360f in Hylafax contrib directory, at

ftp://ftp.sgi.com/sgi/fax/contrib/lw360f/

Which README says the following:

Summary:

This is the readme file for 'lw360f.'  This utility works with
Hylafax & netatalk (and possible CAP) to allow faxes to be sent 
from a Macintosh using the Adobe (Apple) Laserwriter 'f' series of
drivers.

> workflow like any other LaserWriter.]

I have'nt yet tried it but I will shortly.

Hannu