Subject: [netatalk-admins] Authentication Problem

From: Wagner One <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 07:46:18 -0500

I am composing this remotely, but I can provide more detailed versions, 
etc. in a later message if necessary.

I'm running the latest RPM of Netatalk (1.4b2+asun2.0a18) from the redhat 
contrib dir. 

I set up Netatalk 1.3.3 quite a while ago and have never had any problems 
logging in with a Mac client. That was a while ago and the server has sat 
dormant since. Yesterday I fired it back up... same config files, no 
change to linux system, etc... and was unable to log in with a password 
that used to work fine and I use daily for shell access. 

I am unable to log in with the Mac client when I attempt to use a defined 
account. Guest works like a charm. The authentication error returns so 
quickly on the Mac, I even wonder if it is being returned by the Linux 
machine and Netatalk.

I think I have narrowed it down somewhat. Guest works fine anywhere. I 
can't log in with my account on my computer (OS 8.1 w/ corresponding 
Appletalk client) or any other machines set up similarly. I am, however, 
able to log in with any number of machines running traditional MacTCP. 
This would lead me to believe that there has been a change on the Mac 
side that is now breaking the login process. Then there is also the fact 
that this new version of Netatalk behaves exactly like (in this instance) 
like 1.3.3. Upgrading seemed to have absolutely no effect.

I just subscribed yesterday, but spent a considerable amount of time 
pouring over the archive for similar problems. While there were some 
reports of similar occurrences, none of the fixes worked (lowercase 
logins, deleting Mac networking configs, etc.)

I have a vague idea, but am not entirely sure what Pam is or does. Could 
the absence of Pam play a role in this problem? I am unable to track it 
down as a binary anywhere. I found tons of support files/scripts for it, 
but no binary. I'm going to reinstall the pam rpm from my original 
install discs today.

Thanks for any help,
Mike Wagner

--
Mike Wagner - A bad Dead show is better than a good day at work...
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:04:13 +0200 (SAT)

this is because the version you're using doesn't like pam/shadow
passwords. try get the RPM from ftp.redhat.com/contrib/hurricane/ or
somesuch - it's 1.4b2. i just had this problem and using this rpm fixed
it.

____________________________________________________________
John Ostrowick
Computer Science Department, University of the Witwatersrand   
Web site, ftp site and listserv all available at: 
http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/