Subject: [netatalk-admins] 2.2 GB limit

From: Tim Wolfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:48:24 -0700 (PDT)

I am running netatalk 1.3 on a linux 2.0.35 kernel.  I have a 10 GB hard
drive mounted as /apple.  Linux is seeing the full space available on the
drive, however, the netatalk share is only seeing 2.2 GB.  Client Macs are
running MACOS version 7.5.3 and 8.0.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

----------------------------------------------------
Timothy M. Wolfe       | Why surf when you can Sail? 
[email-masked]	       | Join Oregon's Premier
Sr. Network Engineer   | Wireless Internet Provider!
ClipperNet Corporation | http://www.clipper.net/
----------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Michael W. Shaffer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 14:03:33 -0400

I may be completely wrong about this, but here's my guess:

I have used Netatalk in various versions (1.3, 1.4b2) with Linux 2.0.29,
2.0.32, and now 2.0.34. All the Mac clients I have used with it (7.5.3 -
8.1) display similar behavior. My volumes over 2GB have always shown
1.9GB available and 0k in disk. I always assumed that Netatalk itself
behaved this way deliberately to respect some limitation on HFS volume
size and keep the AppleShare client from freaking out at what it would
perceive as an invalid free space number. I have seen reference to this
phenomenon in the documentation of some tape backup software (such as
NovaMac) where it is asserted that the software cannot backup
excessively large volumes from some versions of Netware since they do
report the actual free space regardless of size. My users certainly have
no problems filling up these large volumes despite the weird looking
available and total space numbers.