Subject: [netatalk-admins] MacIP routing?

From: William Uther <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 08:29:01 -0500

Hi,
  I'm guessing not, but is there any way to get netatalk to perform MacIP
routing?  MacIP is Apple's way of wrapping IP inside appletalk packets.
Normally you use something like a gaterbox router to strip the appletalk
packets off and send out the raw IP.  When an IP packet comes back to the
router it is wrapped in an appletalk packet and forwarded back to the Mac.
Is there any way to get netatalk to do the same thing?

\x/ill         :-}

William Uther            "When I die I want to go quietly,
[email-masked]            in my sleep like my Grandfather,
Dept. of Computer Science,   not screaming like the passengers in his car"
Carnegie Mellon University         http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~will/

---

From: Eric C Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:42:01 -0500 (EST)

Take a look at http://www.promo.de.pub/people/stefan/netatalk. He has code
for doing this under netatalk using FreeBSD. I just found it last night so
I can't comment on the difficulty of porting it to other platforms. A
quick compile failed on NetBSD due to different ways in which the
/dev/tuns are setup. 

Good Luck, 

Eric

/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*/*\*
Eric Wagner                               Phone : 734-647-5525
1962 Cooley Building                      Fax   : 734-763-4540
University of Michigan                    E-Mail: [email-masked]
Ann Arbor, MI 48109                       WWW   : http://www.umich.edu/~wagnerer

Quote of the day:  Maybe you can't buy happiness, but these days you can 
                   certainly charge it.

---

From: Jon Torrez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 17:54:01 -0600 (CST)

I ment to say Linux kernels.

<WWW>Hi,
<WWW>  I'm guessing not, but is there any way to get netatalk to perform MacIP
<WWW>routing?  MacIP is Apple's way of wrapping IP inside appletalk packets.
<WWW>Normally you use something like a gaterbox router to strip the appletalk
<WWW>packets off and send out the raw IP.  When an IP packet comes back to the
<WWW>router it is wrapped in an appletalk packet and forwarded back to the Mac.
<WWW>Is there any way to get netatalk to do the same thing?
<WWW>
<WWW>\x/ill         :-}
<WWW>
<WWW>William Uther            "When I die I want to go quietly,
<WWW>[email-masked]            in my sleep like my Grandfather,
<WWW>Dept. of Computer Science,   not screaming like the passengers in his car"
<WWW>Carnegie Mellon University         http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~will/
<WWW>
<WWW>

+--------
| Jon Torrez
| Systems Administrator - WWWebServers, Inc. 
| http://www.wwwebservers.com / [email-masked]
+----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jon Torrez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 17:53:44 -0600 (CST)

Some of the more recent development kernels do this automaticly.

Nifty eh?

<WWW>Hi,

+--------
| Jon Torrez

---

From: Robert Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 15:59:20 +1100

William (and others),

It really depends upon which host system you want to do it on.

For FreeBSD there is macipgw which runs as a user-space daemon - see
http://www.promo.de.pub/people/stefan/netatalk.

For Linux, there is now kernel-space support in the most recent development
kernels called ipddp.c, which can decapsulate _as well as_ encapsulate
(not that you would want to do both on the same system). I am still
getting kernel 2.1.85 working, so I'll let you know how it goes.

I don't know of support for KIP/MacIP/ipddp on any other Unix.

Good luck,

Bob Edwards,

Computer and Robotics Engineer,       e-mail: [email-masked]
Department of Engineering,            phone:  (+61) 2 6249 4090
Australian National University,       fax:    (+61) 2 6249 0506
Canberra, AUSTRALIA, 0200             mobile: (+61) 0416 166 761
      WWW: http://spigot.anu.edu.au/people/bob/home.html