Subject: [netatalk-admins] papd problem with Photoshop & large jobs...

From: Harry Zink <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 09:27:46 -0800

Thanks to the help from this list (thanks, all who responded), I was able 
to get my local printer to print nicely via appletalk. Still, a few 
problems persist:

Using LW 8.6.1.

* While I can select the ppd manually, and it will work, the system does 
not automatically select the proper ppd when I chose 'auto-setup'.

* When I click on 'printer info', and ask it to 'update', the chooser 
simply quits. The same happens when I'm just in the desktop printer as 
well.

* When printing jobs from within photoshop, images print as endless pages 
of garbled text - only setting format to 'JPEG" in the 'print' dialog 
allows proper printer of these images. This seems to be restricted to 
photoshop, as printing the same image from 'picture viewer' works fine.

* Extremely large jobs sometimes disappear without a trace.

* When I configured my 'printcap' file to *NOT* use any filter (since all 
files I will be sending to this printer are PostScript from LW 8.6.1, no 
translation should be necessary), papd would no longer recognize the 
printer, and publish it on the AppleTalk network. Anyone know why?

Seems to me that papd still has some rough edges, versus the much more 
finetuned afpd :-(

Harry

---

From: Jeremy Mates <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 09:48:59 -0800 (PST)

> not automatically select the proper ppd when I chose 'auto-setup'.

That's because the 8.6.1 client wants to talk to the printer, which
netatalk is not.  I've noticed this problem with other servers as well
(Helios, CAP).

> simply quits. The same happens when I'm just in the desktop printer as 

Probably a bug in the printing system related to the whole "can't talk
to printer" problem.

> photoshop, as printing the same image from 'picture viewer' works fine.

Do you have the right PPD?  I've seen wierd printing problems when the
wrong PPD was selected.

> * Extremely large jobs sometimes disappear without a trace.

"It's a feature!"

> printer, and publish it on the AppleTalk network. Anyone know why?

That's odd.  Since you're using 8.6.1, try setting up LPR printers
instead of appletalk ones.  You can do so with scripting, or using the
"Desktop Printer Utility."

> Seems to me that papd still has some rough edges, versus the much more 

I agree.  I got into no end of trouble when I tried to print from linux
to a pap printer.  (It's a 3' reach vs. a 20' walk, but I need the
exercise anyways...)

--
Jeremy Mates <[email-masked]>    (206) 221-4714   Fax: 685-7301
Macintosh Systems Administrator           K353-B, Health Sciences Center
Department of Molecular Biotechnology     Box 357730
University of Washington                  Seattle, WA, 98195

---

From: Patrick Herzog <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 14:54:36 +0100

> not automatically select the proper ppd when I chose 'auto-setup'.

Have you specified the correct PPD file on the netatalk (UNIX) side?? Just copy
th eMac PPD file and make sure the linefeeds are "lf's". The auto-setup should
work.

Patrick

--
Dr.-Ing. Patrick Herzog
-- Oberingenieur --
RWTH Aachen
Institut für Technische Elektronik
Sommerfeldstraße 24
D-52056 Aachen, Germany
http://www.ite.rwth-aachen.de