Subject: [netatalk-admins] 1.4b2 - afpd error: can't resolve symbol '__xstat' - Linux 2.0.32 i386/Redhat

From: Sam Sapoznick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 14:44:07 -0500

Hello. I just did a fresh Linux 2.0.32 Redhat install on a PPro box with a 
Kingston 10/100 PCI
Ethernet card. It is <not> using shadowed passwd file.

I then installed netatalk 1.4b2 using RedHat's 'rpm' tool. ( Precompiled 
binary)
I checked all the various config files, read the readme's, etc., and I 
still have the following problem:

There is another, older linux box (1.x.something) on the network, running 
netatalk 1.3.3,
but I doubt it has anything to do with this problem.

I open the linux box in the chooser, and attempt to log-in with my 
username/password. As soon as I click "ok" to login, the following message 
appears on the console of the linux box:

afpd: can't resolve symbol '__xstat'

The mac keeps the "watch" cursor up for 20 or 30 seconds, and then reports 
that the connection was unexpectedly terminated.

This happens from macs running a variety of OS versions: 7.5.3 rev2, 7.6.1, 
8.0.
I turned on the -d option for afpd; no other errors show up.

Mounting the linux box as "guest" works fine.
Any ideas?

   -sam

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 98 14:39:06 PST

Original message sent on Wed, Mar 18  11:44 AM by [email-masked] (Sam
Sapoznick) :

> username/password. As soon as I click "ok" to login, the following
> message appears on the console of the linux box:
> 

I saw this problem too.  The rpm from the RedHat site appears to be broken, or
not to work under RH 5.0.  The solution is to get the 1.4b2 source and
re-compile.  Be sure to apply various patches, including the "macos8" patch that
is at the umich site, and the "RH 5.0" patch from Anders Brownworth's netatalk
page.  The URLs are:

for the 1.4b2 source and patches:

<http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk>

for the RH 5.0 patch and general help getting things going:

<http://www.thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk>

I did keep one piece from the rpm, that is the /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk startup
script, which works with RedHat's "chkconfig" and is (I think) a better way to
start/stop netatalk than the scripts that come with the stuff from umich.

Hope this helps!

Bob Smith
Hammett & Edison, Inc.
[email-masked]