Subject: [netatalk-admins] alias

From: Jan Dockx <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 12:40:37 +0200

You know what I'd like? An automatic translation by netatalk from MacOS
aliases to Unix softlinks, and vice versa (or one of both to get us
started). Should be possible Š

Sigh. (I just lost half an hour because of this ;-) )

Jan.

Jan Dockx - assistent               ([email-masked])
K.U.Leuven, Department of Computer Science
Celestijnenlaan 200 A 03.28; 3001 Heverlee; Belgium
tel.: ++ 32/16/32 76 56                   fax.: ++ 32/16/32 79 96
<http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~jand/>
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
  "There's some joke making around about some mathematician
   that said that 1000 chimpansees in 1000 years sitting at
   1000 typewriters would eventually write the works of
   Shakespeare. And the snap around the joke is that the Web
   proves this is not so."
                                Kurt Vonnegut about the Internet
                                in "Vonnegut's Timequake; All
                                Things Considered, September 22,
                                1997; National Public Radio"

---

From: Andrew McNabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 21:23:37 -0500 (CDT)

The problem is that UNIX symbolic links and MacOS aliases are very
different things.  Thus, it is impossible to convert between them.  UNIX
symbolic links point to the text name of some other file or directory on
the file tree.  It doesn't necessarily exist and it isn't necessarily
shared.  Mac aliases on the other hand, seem to be more dynamic (for
better or for worse).  Under many circumstances, they seem to be able to
guess where a file is if you moved it.  It is also a very more absolute
link in that it points to the name of the server.
	Basically, the two types of links serve two different functions
and aren't interoperable.

> <http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~jand/>

----------------------------------------------
                Andrew McNabb
             Argus Systems Group
          [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------
  I am an International Arms Trafficker!!!!!
http://online.offshore.com.ai/arms-trafficker/
----------------------------------------------