Subject: [netatalk-admins] pre-asun2.1.0-10a.tar.gz problems

From: [email-masked] (Lee Blevins)
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 05:51:32 -0500

Two issues:

(OS: Freebsd 2.2.7)

1. This version of netatalk just like the very first one with the tcp
patch included still does not export anything other than the users home
dir.

What I have observed is that this problem only occurs in a fresh install
of netatalk. If a previous version was already there, it does not have
the problem.

The issue can be seen if the /usr/local/atalk directory is deleted and a
new install is performed.

I have tested repeatedly using the same exact procedure with 1.4b2 and
1.4b2+asun and the problem is 100% repeatable.

When I have more time, I think what I could do is install the 1.4b2 then
1.4b+asun and note which files were NOT replaced. One of those files is
the key to this bug. Then do a clean install of 1.4b2+asun and compare
the difference between those files. I'm sure this will reveal the
culprit file.

2. Postscript problem

If I write a postscript file to a netatlk vol (pre-asun2.1.0-10a.tar.gz)
is errors in my rip. If I write the same file (using identical method)
to an NT or Mac Fileshareing vol, there's no problem.

This is a serious problem for me since I'd like to replace my NT server
with Freebsd and Netatalk but this bug prevents me from doing this as my
company is a pre-press service bureau.

The rip is a Scitex PS/M running on a Powermac 8100. The error is an
"offending command: sfksd" where "sfksd" could be any string of
characters. This usually means that the rip is seeing a newline in the
postscript file where there shouldn't be one, causing it to think the
next string is a command.

3. Renaming problem

We use a utility to rename all the files on our server (NT 4.0) to
remove illegal characters such as "/" in file names. Our rip (Rampage)
has to follow a certain naming convention. The util is a drag and drop
applet that checks all the files in a folder dropped on it and converts
illegal characters to a underbar.

When we drop a netatalk directory on the droplet, all the files get a
"-1" appended to their name.

I would very much like to convert my server to Freebsd and Netatalk for
speed of the appletalk over tcp but the last two problems are preventing
me from doing that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.