Subject: [netatalk-admins] conjecture and pre-asun2.1.0-7

From: Cameron Hart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 16:49:00 +1200

Hi there,

I think that I am having a problem with pre-asun2.1.0-7. I say I think
because I haven't had an opportunity to perform further testing. The
problem that we were having was with Quark Xpress 4.0 passport edition.
Quark is pretty fussy about copy protection, and one of the things it
does is check the network for other copies of Quark that are running.
Yesterday Quark started dying with a "network error 115". We didn't
really know what was causing the error, so we systematically unplugged
everything. The problem appears to have disappeared after switching off
my Linux 2.0.35 box running  pre-asun2.1.0-7. I haven't been game enough
to turn the box back on after the trouble it caused, but I will test
this theory when things quieten down around here.

So this is not a highly technincal bug report, more coincidence and
speculation, however on examining the change log between pre-asun 6 and
7, several changes were made, including some to atalkd so I suspect
something in here has broken. I am particularily
suspicious/superstitious about the changes made to atalkd multicasting,
as I use an EtherExpress Pro 100 which was pretty fussy about
multicasting to start with.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Cam.