Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] linux + mac printer

From: Tom Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 98 21:33:42 -0500

If the LW is a PostScript printer connected via LocalTalk (not serial) on 
the Printer port, then in theory you ought to be able to:
1) Get LaserWriter Bridge from Apple's WWW site <support.info.apple.com>
2) Install and configure it so that the printer is visible on the 
Ethernet from other Mac's
3) Set up a printer in Linux to print via AppleTalk (this is the hard 
part)
4) Set up PAPD to spool print jobs to the printer
5) Reconfigure the Mac (via Chooser) to print via the spooler on the 
Linux box

(5) may not be necessary if the spooler doesn't take the printer hostage

My printer is a Personal LaserWriter NTR, which has a parallel port. So, 
to make things simple, I have just plugged it into the back of the PC via 
a parallel cable. Thus, I haven't done step (3) above. I have done steps 
(1) and (2) for other printers, and I have done step (4) and (5) for my 
current setup.

With AppleTalk built into the kernel and netatalk running, it seems as 
though all the pieces are there to do it. However, I don't know how to 
configure Linux printing so that lpr can work through netatalk and 
appletalk (instead of the parallel port). There's probably some way to 
set up an lp device and map it through the AppleTalk stack. Perhaps 
someone else out there can fill in this missing piece.

Tom 

>Hi,
>
>I would like to use a mac printer from my linux box.
>My linux box is a redhat 5.1 and the mac is a LC475. The printer is a
>personal laserwriter 300 connected to the serial port of the mac.
>I can access to my linux disk from the mac with appleshare.
>Could someone tell me if it is possible to use the printer from the
>linux box ?
>If yes, where can i find some help, howto, ...
>
>
>Thanks!
>
>Olivier.