Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] [Q] zone_bcast "Zone" exists

From: "Fred Lindberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 16:51:01 -0500

On Wed, 05 Aug 1998 00:34:10 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:

>/tmp/atalkd.debug, which should be fairly easy for one of your
>AppleTalk admins to interpret.

Thanks! That file is very informative. It seems to show all the
gateways with the network numbers that they route to together with the
zone names. Of course, now everything works (well - I'm not routing at
the moment).

The problem was that "some router" gave out incorrect multicast
addresses to mac clients for the zone "Internal Medicine" (this is the
default zone in the segment of the "main net" that I'm in, but not the
zone corresponding to my local eth1 interface which is "ID Lab", and
for which my netatalk installation is the only router). As I understand
it, the only thing that this multicast address is based on in an
extended network is the zone definition. Since I'm not a seed router on
the "main net", all this information should come to me via zone tables
from the seed routers.

-Could my definition of -zone "ID Lab" on the internal net have
corrupted the zone tables (the network number used for it is unique and
assigned by the atalk admin)?
-Would atalkd, if given incorrect zone info from a seed router maintain
this, even for a long time after the seed router has been shut down and
restarted?
-Is there a way to get atalkd to show the computed multicast address
for each zone? Alternatively, can one safely assume that it is correct
as long as the zone info displayed in /tmp/atalkd.debug is correct?
-Is there anything like "getzones" that also displays network numbers
(to use to get an idea of what any router thinks the zone table is)?
-Does my netatalk installation reply to GNI requests even on the "main"
net (of course it has to for the internal net)?

Sorry for the general "atalk"edness of these questions. I'm in a rather
awkward "fingers-being-pointed-at" situation :-(

Thanks!
-Sincerely, Fred

(Frederik Lindberg, Infectious Diseases, WashU, St. Louis, MO, USA)