Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] toner low errors

From: "Frank Morton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 17:17:45 -0500

>Normally, pap doesn't pay any attention to the status of the printer.
>It just records whatever the string is and keeps going.  However, if
>you're trying to implement charging, psf can call pap with the "-w"
>flags, which means wait for the printer's status to include the string
>"waiting".  As far as I know, this only works with HP 4 and 5si
>printers.  It's designed to circumvent the printer's internal spooling
>logic.

We have experienced timeout problems with high-resolution
devices that sometime take a long time to image and pap thinks
it is finished. This means if an error takes place "late" in the
ripping process, it does not get caught.

I haven't seen where the "-w" options is documented.

Would this fix our problem?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:23:46 -0400

> From:    "Frank Morton" <[email-masked]>
> To:      <[email-masked]>, "Darren Atkinson" <[email-masked]>

> ripping process, it does not get caught.

By default, psf calls pap with the -E option.  This causes pap to not
wait for a PAP-EOF from the printer.  On some printers (particularly
HPs, in my experience), this is necessary, since they will never send
EOF for certain types of jobs.  If pap waits for EOF, the printer will
eventually timeout and close the connection, causing pap to return a
"premature eof" to psf, which will in turn exit with a retry error code
to lpd, causing the job to be retried.

The simplest way to disable the -E option is to call psf without the
'm' flag (e.g. not ifmpap, but ifpap instead), and enable lpr
accounting.

:wes