Subject: [netatalk-admins] IP Encapsulation

From: Robert Edwards <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 00:36:27 +1100

I am new to this list, although I have been successfully using netatalk
on two Linux boxes at home for almost a year now.

I am wondering if anyone can throw any wisdom towards a solution to
providing IP encapsulation for a Mac laptop which only has a LocalTalk
connection (connected to my Linux boxes through an Asante Ether*Print box).

I understand that some LocalTalk to EtherTalk adaptors/routers provided
a service or protocol called "KIP" (I don't know what it stands for).
What I want is for one of my Linux boxes to do something similar,
unpacking IP packets from AppleTalk Streams coming from MacTCP and then
sending them on their way on the IP network. Anyone know of any software
that will do something like that? Any other (cheap) solutions?

Thanks for any help.

Bob Edwards,

Computer and Robotics Engineer,       e-mail: [email-masked]
Department of Engineering,            phone:  (+61) 2 6249 4090
Australian National University,       fax:    (+61) 2 6249 0506
Canberra, AUSTRALIA, 0200             mobile: (+61) 0416 166 761
      WWW: http://spigot.anu.edu.au/people/bob/home.html

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 00:14:47 +0000 (GMT)

Three solution come to mind:

1. Apple Internet Gateway

software product from Apple which provided a TCP-IP <-> MacIP
(IP-in-AppleTalk) Gateway.

2. Hardware router

our Cisco 2514 router does a similar thing. I'm sure other routers do too.

3. Linux IP-MacIP gateway

I know someone was working on a package that did this, and I think it work
reliably. Unfortunately I have no idea where to get it. 

All the above solutions assume you have AppleTalk connectivity to the
machine in question.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594