Subject: [netatalk-admins] Whereabouts of AFS

From: Tony Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 17:31:50 +0100

Where can I find the source ?  I can't seem to find any links
or searches to d/l it...

Its for an Intel Slackware box with kernel 2.0.33..

Thanks,  Tony.

__________________________________________________
Tony Moran		Scope Communications.
IT Manager		http://www.infolive.ie
Ph:   (+353-1)-8303455	http://www.jobfinder.ie
Fax: (+353-1)-8300888	Ireland's Jobs and IT resources Web Site
__________________________________________________
How to complain about Spam: http://weber.ucsd.edu/~pagre/spam.html
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

      "'Tis true; there's magic in the web of it;" Othello, Act 3 Scene 4

                                          ->>!<<-

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 11:04:43 -0700

Previously...
>Where can I find the source ?  I can't seem to find any links

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but AFS is the Andrew
FileSystem, a commercial product from TransArc
(http://www.transarc.com/). I don't believe there is a
freely-available (think freedom *or* free beer) implementation.
_________
mike ([email-masked])
The Pledge of Allegiance does not end with Hail Satan
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson

---

From: Tony Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 18:40:39 +0100

>freely-available (think freedom *or* free beer) implementation.

Oh..ok..  (showing his ingenue now) So how come support for it is provided
for it in Asuns 1.4b2 distribution - where does AFS fit into the Netatalk
picture ?

Sorry for all the questions..but..you know.. as they say, if ya dont ask
the questions..

Cheers,  Tony.

                                          ->>!<<-

---

From: Yuji Shinozaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 15:52:29 -0400 (EDT)

> Sorry for all the questions..but..you know.. as they say, if ya dont ask

Well, er, that means that if you have AFS, Asun's distribution will
support it.  It does not provide you with AFS or anything like that...
Or am I missing something here.

Access to AFS filesystems requires authentication and authorization 
via AFS' version of kerberos.  Without support for AFS, something like
netatalk would not be able to access those files on AFS volumes properly.

yuji
----
Yuji Shinozaki		        Systems Administrator
[email-masked]	        Dept of Physics and Astronomy
http://www.physics.unc.edu      Univ. of North Carolina - CH
(919)962-7214 (voice)           CB 3255 Philips Hall
(919)962-7214		        Chapel Hill, NC  27599