Subject: [netatalk-admins] Strange behavior compiling asun's netatalk...

From: Harry Zink <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:21:30 -0800

So, I'm trying to install the asun a18 installation on my web-server. 
This specific server is running Linux 2.0.32, from a Slackware 
distribution.

I commented out all the parts I don't need in the main Makefile - DES, 
TCPWrapper (my system doesn't have that lib), and so on. The README also 
states to make some changes to sys/linux/Makefile, which I did.

I do a 'make' and get nothing but errors.

Now, here's the interesting part. It appears that these errors *ONLY* 
appear when I make *ANY* kind of change to the sys/linux/Makefile - even 
if I undo the changes.

In fact, if I untar a new source tree, and only go into the sys/linux 
director, add a space to the Makefile, promptly remove the space, and 
save the Makefile (effectively NOT making any changes), I'm right back 
into 'error hell'.

If I do a 'make' on a virgin source tree, all is fine (but it won't 
compile for my system, of course).

This is weird, as I think the only change that is really left is that the 
date of the directories has changed, and I highly doubt that will have 
any effect.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on...?

Needless to say, I'm a tad confused.

Harry

---

From: Mark Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 16:28:42 -0600

>save the Makefile (effectively NOT making any changes), I'm right back

Harry:

What is your editor of choice?  I know from woeful past experience that pico
will word-wrap lines even if you don't edit them; the solution is to either have
a HUUUUGE xterm for pico, or to use an editor that won't wrap (like xemacs).

--Mark
   "I think so Brain, but if they called them sad meals, then 
    no one would buy them."

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 21:50:56 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Harry Zink wrote:

[snip tale of woe about netatalk failing to compile]

Perhaps you could tell us which editor you are using, and what errors you
are getting?

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594