Subject: [netatalk-admins] The netatalk script

From: "Les Klein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 16:54:00 +0100

This is probably an FAQ for which I apologise but I find that using netatalk
1.4b2 with Linux (kernel 2.0.33):-

/etc/init.d/netatalk stop

works fine, but when followed by:-

/etc/init.d/netatalk start

I get the message:- 

Starting AppleTalk daemons (this may take a while): atalkdAppleTalk not up!
Child exited with 1.

I then have to reboot Linux to get atalkd and papd running again.
Can anyone tell me how to re-start netatalk without rebooting Linux?

Les.

---

From: Jonathan Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 17:25:22 +0100

>This is probably an FAQ for which I apologise but I find that using netatalk

OOoooohh yes :-)

>I then have to reboot Linux to get atalkd and papd running again.

This is a feature of Linux's current Appletalk driver. The solution is to
compile your kernel with Appletalk as a module, rather than built in. Then,
instead of re-booting, you need only remove, and then re-install the
Appletalk module. You can do this without the need to shutdown any other
services (unless they need Appletalk, of course!).

There are various FAQ's and HOWTO's that will tell you about kernel modules
and kernel compilation if you are not familiar with it. Don't be scared by
the word 'kernel' - it's all quite straightforward.

--------
Jon Peterson   [email-masked]   London, UK   ICQ 13403962

"A remarkable people these Zulu's. They defeat our generals and convert our
bishops."
	- Benjamin Disraeli.

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 17:25:16 +0100 (BST)

> Can anyone tell me how to re-start netatalk without rebooting Linux?

I _think_ this is because some kernels can't delete appletalk interfaces:
2.0.34 fixes this [I thought 2.0.33 did too, but I'm not so sure now]. 

If this is indeed the problem, your options are as follows:

1] Upgrade to 2.0.34
2] Patch 2.0.33 
3] Compile the appletalk stuff as modules: After this:

foo:~/ /etc/init.d/netatalk stop
foo:~/ rmmod appletalk
foo:~/ insmod appletalk #only if you're not running kerneld
foo:~/ /etc/init.d/netatalk start

should solve the problem.. 

'course, I could be wrong. It's been known to happen. HTH.
-- 
Just one nuclear family can ruin your whole life.

---

From: David Welton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:32:22 -0700

> Can anyone tell me how to re-start netatalk without rebooting Linux?

Compiling it as a module seemed to work for me - you just unload and
then reload the module before you restart netatalk.

Taking a guess, it looks as if you may be using Debian.  2.0 has a
netatalk-asun package that avoids this nasty, and runs faster as well.

Ciao,
-- 
David Welton                          http://www.efn.org/~davidw 

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org