Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] dumb questions

From: [email-masked] (William P. McGonigle)
Date: 29 Dec 98 08:13:34 EST

--- "david bernick" wrote:
if i (foolishly, i know) want to login
(via netatalk) to a *NIX box as root, how can i go about doing that?
--- end of quote ---

The password checking code specifically denies UID 0 (root) from logging in. 
You'd have to hack it.

-Bill

---

From: Albert Max Lai <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 21:12:07 -0500 (EST)

> (via netatalk) to a *NIX box as root, how can i go about doing that?

I suppose that you'd just have to comment out lines 438-441 in
etc/afpd/auth.c. It should say:

    if ( uid == 0 ) {         /* don't allow root login */
          syslog( LOG_ERR, "login: root login denied!" );
          return AFPERR_NOTAUTH;
    }

Without these lines, it looks like root will work.

--
Albert Lai <[email-masked]>           1018D East Campus
Residential Computer Consultant           411 W. 116th St.
Columbia University                       New York, NY 10027
http://www.columbia.edu/~aml61            (212)853-4854