Subject: [netatalk-admins] Doh!

From: "Wilkins M (ISD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:17:30 -0000

Hi All!

Firstly. Please don't laugh.. I know this is something little and stupid
that I just can't see.

My Mac can't see my linux box. :'(

I have compiled and running (I hope!) netatalk 1.4b2 on my linux box,
which also is allready in use as a NFS file/print server by dosboxes,
and as an SMB server by wintel boxes. (and FWIW as a kermit server by a
varied bunch of old 6502/Z80 based machines!) 

ps shows the various programs running, and no nasty errors are being
logged. So I have assumed the linux end of things to be happy.

My only apple with Ethernet is an SE running system 6.0summit, fitted
with a Kinetics Etherport SE. This works fine as an appletalk (via
serial ports) client off my quadra 700 running System 7.1 (which doesn't
have an ethernet txvr yet) I can't upgrade the SE to system 7 as the
etherport's driver doesn't work with System 7.

Does system 6 work as a client from a netatalk box?

Something I have made no mention of is addresses.. This is because I
haven't got a clue what they are for, and have left things as they come
from the box. both/all computers are effectively on a single segment of
ethernet. I don't have an appletalk router.

Can anyone recommend a doc i can ftp/http on appletalk
zones/names/addresses? I've only used MacTCP/Netscape on ethernet
connected macs before, and appletalk on non-ethernetted macs. Both times
have been poke/hope/bingo.

Any hints much appreciated.

TIA!

M.

---

From: Gregor Retti <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 13:28:02 +0100

>etherport's driver doesn't work with System 7.

if your SE and quadra are connected thru localtalk ("serial") then your SE
can not have appletalk running at the same time on the ethernet port. you
must switch the port in the control panel. i suggest you get yourself a
traceiver for the quadra and have all machines on ethernet.

>Does system 6 work as a client from a netatalk box?

did not try it ...

>have been poke/hope/bingo.

good luck
gregor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 gregor retti ----------- http://germanistik.uibk.ac.at/germ/retti.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------