Subject: [netatalk-admins] NetAtalk Development

From: Cameron Hart <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 13:05:57 +1300

Hi there. I am just wondering where the netatalk development is going.
The current beta has been out for what seems like quite a while. The
asun patches seem to be the main development that is happening. So where
is netatalk going from here? Are there plans to incorporate the asun and
other patches into a final release?

Thanks,

Cameron Hart

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 07:31:48 +0200 (SAT)

i am sincerely hoping that it will be ported to rhapsody. i don't know
enough C to do this myself, however.

____________________________________________________________
John Ostrowick
[email-masked], +27 11 716-3783
Computer Science Department, University of the Witwatersrand   
Web site, ftp site and listserv all available at: 
http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/

---

From: Sean Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 01:46:49 -0700

I am planing on replacing my current FreeBSD server with Rhapsody....  A port
of netatalk to that platform (or to the bsd4.4 part of it i guess) would be
*EXTREMELY* appreciated....  however i too am to inept to try it myself :(

>[email-masked] wrote:
>

---

From: "b. haviland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 18:10:28 -0400 (EDT)

i have an office of about 12 macs (OS 8.1) and 60 PCs (win95) and i'm
using a pentium running freebsd 2.2.5-RELEASE and samba and netatalk 1.4b2
as a fileserver.

i haven't done any patches - well actually i have. i did the macos 8
dancing icon patch and the dancing stopped, but then it started again a
couple weeks ago so i'm going to do that patch again tonight. but
anyway... 

this has happened to two different mac users at least 3 times each. 
they'll be connected to the fileserver and working on files from it, and
then notice that the share is in their trash! usually not the whole thing,
usually just a folder... if they restart, w/o emptying the trash, when
they come back up, the trash is empty and from a cursory look, all seems
to still be on the fileserver in its correct place.

but the other day, one of the mac users opened the share (let's call it
JOE) and there are supposed to be 5 folders in it. one (BOB) was missing.
she looked in her trash and BOB was there. she dragged it back to JOE and
all seemed to be well, but this morning some other user came to me and
said a folder was missing(it was a sub folder of BOB). a folder that he
said he hadn't even used in a week or so so he was pretty sure he hadn't
deleted it. i have backups, but, ack!  what's happening? 

- beth
[email-masked]

---

From: Jamie Biggar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:53:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, b. haviland wrote:

>[snip]

Hi Beth,
  This happened to me last week, too.  (It's what encouraged me to join
this and the netspace linux-atalk list.)
  The problem seemed to be from a multi-user writeable "Network Trash
Folder" on the shared netatalk volume.  As it tries to use the same folder
to track all users' trash, some files get corrupted and it basically gets
confused.  The simplest work-around is to either 'rm -rf Network\ Trash\
Folder' or at least 'chmod 0700'.  It means users will get the "xxxx can't
be left in the Trash, delete immediately?" message, but it seemed to take
care of the trashed-folder problem.
  For an interesting work around (wouldn't make sense for my purposes, but
maybe yours), see this netatalk-admins message from March:

	http://www.decco.nl/info-mail/7429.html

-Jamie