Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk & kerberos 5 auth?

From: "Leo Wierzbowski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 13:33:27 -0500

Is there a way to make netatalk (freebsd, but could switch to linux if
needed) do a krb5 authentication when it gets the username and
password from a stock appleshare client?

I don't want to require krb5 on the mac yet, but I'd like netatalk to
auth the afp users against our campus krb5 server (then use a single
"labuser" acct to let them access applications and scratch space
volumes, or alternatively create the user acct on the fly if needed).

Does anyone have netatalk working with a krb5 uam?

Sincerely,
Leo Wierzbowski

http://grove.ufl.edu/~leo/

Martin Luther King Jr. Day Quotes: http://grove.ufl.edu/~leo/mlk.html

"The University of Florida does not endorse or
 disendorse the content of this document.
 Everything is the author's private opinion."

---

From: Scott Venier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 13:53:48 -0500 (EST)

You could use a sun's additions to use PAM (would require a switch to
linux), and use the a kerb5 PAM module.  You could hack at the PAM module
(or layer in another one) to do what ever specific user account
creation/changing that you want it to do.

Scott

>  Everything is the author's private opinion."

=====================================================================
Scott Venier                      *ResComp Network Support Technician
[email-masked]                        *Consultant for Ingematics,
[email-masked]                     a division of Compu-Aid, Inc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 15:40:47 -0800 (PST)

> password from a stock appleshare client?

You realize that if you're not careful, you will end up having the
kerberos passwords fly by in clear text, don't you? That very much
destroys the whole idea of kerberos.

Take care,

Bill