Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: Netatalk under Solaris 2.6

From: Reiner Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:01:53 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello,

thanx for the hints, but they didn't worked.
        
I have le0, not hme0:

: /usr/sbin/ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 8232
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
le0: flags=863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 130.149.12.230 netmask fffffe00 broadcast 130.149.13.255
: /usr/sbin/ifconfig hme0
ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: hme0: no such interface

My config-file exists:
: cat /usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd.conf
#
#lot of comments
#
le0

I have tried the pre-asun2.1.0-10a - without and within patches
(conforming to the howto: solaris2.6 + asun18.2
http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/archive/admins/1998/0781.html) and got
this error:

gcc -p -D__svr4__ -DSOLARIS -I../../sys/solaris -DNEW_STREAMS_MODULE -O
-I../../include  -DTCPWRAP -c dsi_tcp.c
dsi_tcp.c:27: tcpd.h: No such file or directory
make[4]: *** [dsi_tcp.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory
 
So i compiled   
I tried to run atalkd with gdb and the program generate an error result at
line 938/939:

938                 if ( !WIFSTOPPED( status )) {
939                     fprintf( stderr, "AppleTalk not up!\n" );
940                     if ( WIFEXITED( status )) {
                        ...
962                     } else {
963                         fprintf( stderr, " Child died.\n" );

Then I run the atalkd (and then the startup script, too) - and it works!

Yesterday I was compiling the netatalk-971027 with

> 4) `make` netatalk-971027 and `make kinstall` (no changes should be
>    needed to the source)

Today I had only added a "-g" to OPTOPTS in sys/solaris/Makefile to find  
the failure...

Reiner
-- 
----------------------------------------------------------- _________   __
Reiner Keller                  e-mail:                     /______  /  / /
Tutor fuer Rechnerbetreuung    [email-masked]      / / / /__/ /
----------------------------------------------------------- /_/ /______/

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 17:19:01 -0700

Previously...
>make[4]: Leaving directory

If you compile pre-asun2.1.0-10a, you do not need *any* patches
whatsoever. This error is a result of not having or not setting the
location to your TCP wrappers (see README.ASUN in the source tree). If
you run an asun-patched version of netatalk, I highly recommend that
you use TCP wrappers and close access to your ASIP port 548 except by
your intended users.

TCP wrappers are available all over the place. Do a simple search for
"TCP wrappers" on the web; think most major FTP repositories (sunsite,
garbo, etc.) carry it as source. In case it's not clear, TCP wrappers
provide extra security for your TCP/IP connections: they do some
protection against spoofing and provide host/IP-based allow/deny
directives.

Also, PAM support by default is on in asun versions, but it has yet to
work properly for me on 2.6, so you probably should comment this out.
_________
mike ([email-masked])
Teacher is not a leper
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson