Subject: [netatalk-admins] Appletalk routing problems

From: [email-masked]
Date: 3 Jul 1998 14:26:22 GMT

I am trying to get appletalk routing working properly using netatalk on linux
machines.  I seem to have basic functionality but there are problems in seeing
objects between zones and networks in the chooser.  Here's a simplified version
of the network:

--*L1*--|
        |--L2*---+----+----+
        |        |    |    |
        |       P1   P2   M1
        |
        |--C1*---+----+
        |        |    |
        |        P3   M2
        |
        |--M3

L1, L2 are P5-200's running linux 2.0.34 with appletalk DDP compiled as a module
running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2.

C1 is a cisco 2514 with appletalk routing enabled.

* shows which interfaces are configured as seed routers.

P1-3 are laser printers.
M1, M2, M3 are macintoshes

>From M3, M2 and P3 are visible; M1, P1, P2 are not.  This leads me to suspect
that something is not configured correctly in netatalk.

All the zones defined on each router interface do appear in the chooser.  There
are no objects within some of the zones like we need.  The zones and network
numbers seem to be defined correctly.

Originally, I was only starting atalkd.  These are dedicated routers and won't
be doing any file sharing. So, I though that's all I'd need.

Now, I've also added:

nbprgstr -p 4 L1:Workstation 
nbprgstr -p 4 L1:netatalk
nbprgstr -p 4 L2:Workstation 
nbprgstr -p 4 L2:netatalk

It's not clear to me why I would or wouldn't want these.  But, I found that C1
(cisco router) declares 2 names, one on each interface, on socket 254.  And, I'm
grasping at straws so I tried declaring the names like shown in the rc.atalk
sample file.  I don't understand why I'd want something declared on socket 4 on
netatalk, isn't atalkd already handling that socket??

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?  I'd much appreciate it.

-- 
Marlys A. Nelson                      Sr. Systems Programmer
Information Technology Services       Network Services
University of Wisconsin - River Falls 
410 South Third Street                Email: [email-masked]
River Falls  WI  54022                http://www.uwrf.edu/