Subject: [netatalk-admins] Exported Volumes

From: "Bill Butler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 09:34:35 -0600

I am trying to export only 1 volume and am using the latest asun patch. The
problem is that I have specified to export /home/telalink as Telalink but it
only exports a users home directory regardless of what I do. Here is a
configuration that I settled on & it still does not work.

AppleVolumes.default - I have removed the ~ from this file effectively
leaving it empty.

AppleVolumes.system - 

/home/telalink Telalink
.       BINA    UNIX
# .       TEXT    UNIX
.a        TEXT  MPS       Assembly Source
.aif      AIFF  SNDM      AIFF Sound
.aiff     AIFF  SNDM      AIFF Sound
.aifc     AIFF  SNDM      AIFF Sound
.arc      BINA  arc)      PC ARChive

.. [snip]

afpd.conf

office.telalink.net -loginmesg "Hello"

I can definitely tell that afpd.conf is getting read in because the server
is getting named appropriately and the "Hello" message works. I am calling
afpd with the following command:

/opt/atalkd/etc/afpd -c 20 (for 20 connections)

--

Bill Butler
[email-masked]
President, Chief Operating Officer
615.321.9100 ext.230

Back in the 1970s we didn't have the space shuttle to get all excited about.
       We had to settle for men walking on the crummy moon. - Russell Beland

---

From: Chris Thorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:11:45 -0700

Hi,

I have installed netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2.tar.gz on quite a number of
Linux Red Hat 5.0 hosts with no problem.

Suddenly, on my latest installation, it seems that AppleVolumes.default is
being ignored, and instead, the user's home directory is being exported
something I had tried to disable by omitting the ~ line.

Any ideas why this could happen?

It seems like it's not a path issue since afpd.conf is being found in the
same directory as the file that's being ignored.

-c

Configuration notes:

On each host, I use essentially the same afpd.conf and AppleVolumes.*
files, namely:

afpd.conf:

- -tcp -noddp -noauthall -nocleartxt -rand2num -randnum -noguest
-nosavepassword -nosetpassword -loginmesg "Hi Mom."

(where the loginmesg is just for debugging to make sure the afpd.conf is
not being ignored -- and it is not.)

and AppleVolumes.default contains:

/VolumeName VolumeName

.txt TEXT R*ch
.TXT TEXT R*ch
.html TEXT R*ch
.HTML TEXT R*ch
.map TEXT R*ch
.pl TEXT R*ch
.pm TEXT R*ch
.PL TEXT R*ch
.cgi TEXT R*ch
.gif GIFf 8BIM
.jpg JPEG 8BIM
.jpeg JPEG 8BIM
.ps 8BIM 8BIM
.fp3 FMP3 FMP3
.FP3 FMP3 FMP3

... and the /VolumeName directory *does* exist.

The AppleVolumes.system is the stock one from the netatalk distribution.

Below I have included a message from Bill Butler who had a similar problem,
but I could not see that anyone followed up.  It is included for reference.

>/opt/atalkd/etc/afpd -c 20 (for 20 connections)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Thorman                           [email-masked]
Ignition, Inc.                          (415) 392-6244 x3
870 Market Street                       (415) 392-6245 fax
San Francisco, CA 94102                 http://ignitiondesign.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Chris Thorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:29:09 -0700

Hi,

My users are accustomed to seeing file names alpha-sorted when using
utilities like PopupFolder, which unfortunately doesn't do its own sorting
-- it must just assume it's always using Apple's implementation of the AFPD
or HFS apis, which just happen to alpha-sort the items in a directory.

It seems that netatalk does not provide an alpha-sorted iteration over the
file names in a directory; the list seems to be somewhat random; maybe
time-ordered.

Is there a reason why an alpha-sort could not be added?  Maybe it's just
that nobody's thought of doing it.

-chris

---

From: Casey Bisson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 15:50:29 -0400

I believe Netatalk sorts according unix standards where all upper-case charecter
come before all lower-case charecters .

Casey Bisson
Information Technology
Plymouth State College

---

From: Chris Thorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 13:23:05 -0700

>>come before all lower-case charecters .

Doesn't seem to be the case; I'm getting an order that seems to be
creation-time based.  This is using an ext2 file system on Linux Red Hat
5.0.

Anybody else using a utility such as PopupFolder which displays the
unsorted output of a PBHGetCatInfo?

-c