Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] 1.4b2+OS8 / Trash Problem (even with asun patch)

From: [email-masked] (Bob Smith, Hammett & Edison, Inc.)
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 15:14:03 -0700

On Fri, Jul 17, 1998, 11:19:29 Tony Stuckey wrote:

>> Does drwx---rwx = drwxrwxrwx ?

> No, and it shouldn't.

Aha, this might be a clue - it is true that Unix considers those two modes to
be distinct, but what about AppleShare?  Maybe the root of the problem lies in
how Unix modes are being mapped to AppleShare permissions, i.e. if the
AppleShare "everyone" permissions are supposed to apply to everyone including
the owner and the group, AppleShare would expect that rwx---rwx == rwxrwxrwx,
and even that ------rwx == rwxrwxrwx.  Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Bob

---

From: Patrik Schindler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 14:24:56 +0200

>and even that ------rwx == rwxrwxrwx.  Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Ahem?

"Macintosh System 7 networking refernence manual":
Everyone. The category includes all users which log in as guest or as user.

Later, two little pics from the permissions dialog, group has no rights but all others have and all have all rights. Comment: These settings are equivalent, because the category "Everyone" is including registered users.

:wq! PoC

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 11:00:30 -0400

> From:    [email-masked] (Bob Smith, Hammett & Edison, Inc.)
> To:      [email-masked]

> and even that ------rwx == rwxrwxrwx.  Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Something like that.  I've often seem the above permissions, drwx---rwx
when the gid involved is 0, as well.  AppleShare considers gid 0 to
mean "no group".  (And uid 0 "no user".  This is why root isn't
permitted to log in with afpd.)

:wes

---

From: Tan Chee Weei <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:47:28 +0900

> permitted to log in with afpd.)

That would also explain why I am getting:

afd[???]: setdirowner: chown -1/0 .AppleDouble/.Parent: Operation not permitted

when the .AppleDouble directory is being created in Trash Can #n

Now why is it that I am seeing this and not everyone else.  Does the version
of Appleshare on the clients have anything to do with it? I'm using 3.7.4 as
supplied by OS 8.1