Subject: [netatalk-admins] printers timing out

From: Anthony Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 15:29:29 +0000

I am having a really tough time with my printers (LaserWriter 16/600's with
ethernet connection and assigned inet address). What happens is a user will
send a job (typically from Quark repress) and it can be seen in the queue.
But then I get a consistant lpd restarting, and the job will print a little
stop, lpd restart, print a little restartprintalittle... It starts printing
from the beginning of the document. This doesn't happen with every
document, it seems to be related to the queue getting busy. I also added
the line lf=/var/log/lpd-errors to my printcap file which does absolutely
nothing.

Even more frustrating is when I type:

lprm -PTalladega 133 anthonyj

It empties the queue totally.

Am I indeed as lame as my coworkers seem to feel I am?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am considering LPRng, and anybody using
that who has thoughts, well, I'd like to hear those as well.

ant

---

From: Neil McAllister <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 17:37:42 -0700

OK, I'm sure this one ought to be a FAQ.  I've been in exactly this spot
before, but I don't know how to get out of it now, and I've been banging my
head against the wall for hours.

I have a problem on netatalk shared volumes with Trash Cans becoming
unreadable.  Or, more precisely, one user will throw something into the
Trash, and from that point on the Trash can is "owned" by that user.
Everyone else who still has permission to write to the volume gets the
message:  "File XXXX cannot be moved to the Trash.  Do you want to delete
it immediately?"

It seems the problem is that all my users are in the same default group (as
opposed to being in their own, separate groups as in many Linux systems).
The Network Trash Folders are being created with these permissions:

drwx--Srwx  ...   user1  users       Network Trash Folder

inside this folder (having just tossed something in the Trash) are these:

drwx--S---  ...   user1  users       Trash Can #2
-rw----rw-  ...   user1  users       Trash Can Usage Map

As near as I can tell, because the next user to connect to the volume is in
the same group as the first one, they can't read the Trash Can Usage Map or
the contents of the other Trash Can #2, and so it won't let them put
anything in the Trash!

Am I off base in my reading here?  How to fix?  It must be possible!
Umask, maybe?  But where -- how?

Any help appreciated.

--
Neil McAllister, Systems Administrator
Primo Angeli Inc., San Francisco, CA, USA
http://www.primo.com  mailto:[email-masked]