Subject: [netatalk-admins] Sample conf file requests,

From: Chip Mefford <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 11:29:18 -0500 (EST)

Good day;

I've been playing with netatalk on and off for a while, and 
while I know that i the system i am trying to use it on is
not exactly the best configuration wize, I was hoping 
for some help here. 

The box I wanna run netatalk on is in essence my firewall, 
now this seems wierd, but it is also my web server and I want
to get my graphics folks to be able to directly access 
the httpd files from their macs. 

This machine is running RHLinux 5.0 with just about every
patch I could find, the internal net that I want to 
bind netatalk to is on eth1.

I've done this in the past and had trouble with the
dancing icons, lf>cr on .dxf files and all sorts of
stuff and eventually I took it down. Now I am trying
to figure out how I had the atalkd.conf and 
AppleVolumes.system files set up and I just 
can't seem to get it working again. 

I am running (or rather failing to run) 
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0-5.i386.rpm
if there is a newer rpm out there, I haven't been
able to find it.

If anyone has any suggestions for edits to atalkd.conf
that will get me netatalk running on eth1 and no where
else, please pass them along. I know this should be
trivial and the first time I did it it was. 

Oh yeah, and I want ip only, no appletalk connections.

thanx in advance

chipper

---

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 98 09:13:37 -0800

>netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0-5.i386.rpm

don't use this rpm ... it's definitely broken. definitely compile and 
install your own netatalk, it's really not that hard. Get asun's source 
from <ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu//public/asun/
  netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0.tar.gz>

try this:

in atalkd.conf:

eth1

in afpd.conf:

web_server -noddp

in AppleVolumes.default

web_site path_to_http_files
.dxf TEXT R*ch

R*ch is the creator code for BBEdit, which our guys use a lot. TEXT for 
the file type assures that the CR/LF translation is done correctly.

I named the volume containing the web site "Web site - REALLY" just to 
remind folks that they're working on a live web site.

------------
Paul Krohn
San Francisco Examiner Systems Department
110 Fifth Street
San Francisco, CA  94103
415-777-7884
[email-masked] - www.examiner.com