Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: Problems getting appletalk to work at 100MBs

From: "Otto Giesenfeld" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 11:53:20 +0200

--On den 9 juli 1998, 16:55 +0300 "Hannu Krosing" <[email-masked]> wrote: 

> when I use Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 (whith 82558 chip), then the 
> card functions quite ok, but every few (5-50) seconds it gets stuck 
> and reports:
> 
> eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0050 command 0000.
> eth0: Trying to restart the transmitter...

> I use kernel 2.0.34, with latest (?) drivers from cesdis.
> 
> I also use the latest ip-enabled (with asun patches) netatalk from
> ftp.u.washington.edu.

Hannu,

I had exactly the same problems with 2.0.32 on an IBM machine with an
integrated eepro-100 network interface. After suggestions on the
linux-eepro100 list, I was able to solve the problem. The only thing that
seemed to help was to change the line "static int multicast_filter_limit =
64;" to "static int multicast_filter_limit = 0;" in the driver module source
and recompile it. I did this with version 0.99b of the driver, but I assume
it would work with 0.38 and 0.99c as well.

If you want more info, you could look at the linux-eepro100 arcives
(http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-eepro100/) for May 1998, where my posts
on the subject can be found.

Best regards,

Otto Giesenfeld
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Otto Giesenfeld, Vindrosen AB, Själagårdsgatan 8 B, SE-111 31 Stockholm,
Sweden, tel: +46 8 789 61 95, +46 70 765 47 17, telefax: +46 8 789 61 96
                  e-mail: [email-masked]