Subject: [netatalk-admins] Speed Testing

From: "Paul M. Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 19:23:30 +6600 (CST)

Ok. Enough about the debate of ASIP vs AppleTalk vs Netatalk vs AppleShare vs
blah blah. 

I broke down and did some speed testing of my own to evaluate our current 
servers and a proposed replacement server for our old DX4-100. I've posted 
the results, they are not complete, but are a start. I plan on running more 
tests under load from 1 - 20 clients. To see how things work then.
I have the raw data and an excel spreadsheet if anyone is interested.

Test Results can be found at:

http://www.nmc.siu.edu/~fleming/speed.html

My next step is to run the bonnie disk benchmarking program on each machine
to have that to compare against. For those not familiar, bonnie is a unix c 
program that does very good hard drive tests, it's a good indicator of how 
well the OS and drive sub system handle LOTS of disks accesses.

More as it comes available

Paul Fleming
New Media Center
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale IL 62901