Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] getting appleshare

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 98 21:37:25 -0700

On 10/12/98 7:04 PM, Mike Holling wrote:

>OS upgrades are free from Apple's ftp server.  Not sure if 7.1P6 can be
>upgraded, but if it can, you'll need to upgrade to 7.5.3 and from there to
>7.5.5.  7.5.3 has some weird name, like 7.5 update 2.

nooooo!

os upgrades are free within limits - ie you can upgrade from 7.1 to 7.1.2 
or from 7.5 to 7.5.5, but not from 7.1 to 7.5 or any derivative thereof. 
The only exception to this guidleine is that the 8.0 to 8.1 upgrade is 
free. The 8.1 to 8.5 upgrade will cost you $99, or thereabouts.

There is nothing stopping you, however, from downloading & installing 
AppleShare Client (or whatever it's calle this week) from 
mirror.apple.com, at your own risk. I think Apple recommends you stick 
with 3.6.x on older system versions, 3.7.x on System 7.5 and 7.6 and 
3.8.x on MacOS 8.x - which leaves you without IP Appleshare on your 
Performa without paying for an upgrade.

Clear as mud?

Paul Krohn
San Francisco Examiner - Systems Department
110 Fifth Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
415-777-7884 [email-masked]

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 01:47:49 -0700 (PDT)

My brain may be a bit too tired,but I seem to recall that Apple was
willing to give away copies of its "older systems" since they were not
marketable anymore for profit. Instead of isolating their customers, they
instaed made them available.
I do not think that 7.1 is among them, but I *think* that 6.0.x and 7.0.x
were among the systems that are free for the use with mac hardware...
Don't takemy word for it, go look at:

ftp://ftp.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/US/Macintosh/System/Older_System

and see if my recollection is correct, or my brain is too tired.

After that take a look at :
ftp://ftp.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/US/Macintosh/Networking-Communications/
and pay attention to the:
AppleShare, and AppleShare_Client folders.

(there are other tiems that you may like here too...)

Oh I should mention, you will probably need Disk Copy for the syetem
image extraction to floppy:
ftp://ftp.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/US/Macintosh/Utilities/Disk_Copy

Sure, 7.0 is not the same as 7.1, but if you can download and *keep* the
system disks, then you have something in the way of re-installations and
you can then choose what options you want installed...

-ME
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Systems Department Operating Systems Analyst for the Ruben Salazar Library
              of California State University at Sonoma.
  /UNIX(/BSD/SysV)\N_NW[.]VMS\WNTS\WNTW\W95\W311\WFWG\DOS:MacOS/NeXTSTEP  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Paul Krohn wrote:

> Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 21:37:25 -0700
> From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
> To: Mike Holling <[email-masked]>, Glenn Johnson <[email-masked]>
> Cc: netatalk admins <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] getting appleshare
>