Subject: [netatalk-admins] ftp over netatalk

From: KHOO Guan Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 21:03:57 +0800 (SGT)

Hi, 

I have a RedHat 4.2 box successfully running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 
as a server for my powermac 6100 with OS 8.0. 

I want to ftp/telnet from the mac to the linux box, but am not succeeding.
I have added the lines in.ftpd:ALL and in.telnetd:ALL to /etc/hosts.allow
and made sure that the ftp and telnet lines in /etc/inetd.conf are not
commented out, but when I run Fetch 3.0 from the mac, I get something like
connection refused. Telnet gives me something like host not responding.

Anybody can tell me what to do? I have the standard install so that
/home/ftp, etc exits.

I realise this may be off topic but nobody from RH list responded. 

Thanks.

Richard KHOO Guan Chen
e-mail: [email-masked]
snail-mail: 38-A, Lorong 23, Geylang, Singapore 388372

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 16:22:20 +0100 (BST)

This is not really netatalk-related...
Are you sure that when you connect to the server by AppleShare you are
using TCP/IP and not Appletalk. 
Are the two machines on the same subnet? Can you ping one machine from the
other?

-- 
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594
Microsoft - because god hates us