Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Corruption of files on server

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 98 13:45:57 -0800

>Hi all admin.'s,
>
>        I receive this message from the user community
>yesterday and was wondering if their is a virus protection
>option with netatalk? or would this be a Netatalk issue?
>
>Thanks in advance
>Mitch

What i've done on all my netware and netatalk volumes is create empty, 
invisible, locked files called DB and DELDB using BBEdit and ResEdit at 
the root level of every share on every server (yes, it took a while). 
Then i was able to take my time installing virus software on all the macs 
without worry of worms spreading via servers. while i was at it, i turned 
off autoplay in the quicktime settings control panel on all the macs too.

of course, this does nothing about non-worm viruses, but it's a start.

------------
Paul Krohn
San Francisco Examiner Systems Department
110 Fifth Street
San Francisco, CA  94103
415-777-7884
[email-masked] - www.examiner.com

---

From: Neil McAllister <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 13:57:45 -0800

>of course, this does nothing about non-worm viruses, but it's a start.

This brings up an interesting point -- does it really matter if a netatalk
server is infected with the AutoStart virus?  My netatalk machine is an
Intel box -- and thus can't run the Worm's code.  If it can't run the Worm,
it can't infect client Macs in this way.

netatalk is useful, however, for finding out who IS infected on my network
-- I can just go into the Unix side and peek at what user created the DELDB
file in the first place.  Then I smack the user around, for not taking
proper precautions when they use Zips from clients, etc.

--
Neil McAllister, Systems Administrator
Primo Angeli Inc., San Francisco, CA, USA
http://www.primo.com  mailto:[email-masked]