Subject: [netatalk-admins] afpd free space calculations...

From: Webmaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 19:49:43 -0500

Today I applied the patch that fixes the afpd freespace calculations for
the 1.4b2 version of Netatalk.
The 6 gig partition that I've dedicated to an afp volume showed 1.1 gig
before the patch was applied and
1.9 gig after. Has anyone else running Netatalk with FreeBSD 2.2.5 been
seeing the same thing? Is there a cap in afp on the disk quota it can
show?

Bob Badaracco

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 20:35:47 -0500

> From:     Webmaster <[email-masked]>

> seeing the same thing? Is there a cap in afp on the disk quota it can

To quote from one of Leland's posts to Linux-atalk:

    This used to be in the FAQ. (or at least one of the FAQs)

    AFP 2.1 has a maximum volume size of 2^32 or 4 Gigs.
    The Finder shipped with Systems prior to 7.5 could only handle 2 Gig
    volumes,
    so most AFP servers clip the free & total bytes to 2 Gigs.
    Systems 7.5 to 7.6 can handle 4 Gig volumes
    System 7.6 and later can handle larger volumes.

    AFP 2.2 has a maximum volume size of 2^64 or some godawful large number
    of Terabytes.
    AppleShare Client 3.7.2 and later will handle large volumes on System 7.6
    and
    later, though full support is only present on OS 8.1. (the VCB was
    correct but
    some of the API calls didn't return the large values).

    Hope this helps
    Leland Wallace
    AppleShare IP Client Lead

[ this will make it to the faq, maintenant. -evan ]