Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk verse ASIP

From: [email-masked] (Jean-Pierre Delisle)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 14:02:40 -0400

>I've been exploring the idea of switching our file server, a G3/233mhz running
>AppleShare IP 5.03, to MKlinux running netatalk. I've successfully gotten
>MKLinux and netatalk to work on several servers, and have permanently moved
>all FTP, Web, and mail servers to linux boxes.

Off-Topic for Netatalk-Admins
Just a suggestion about Linux on a PPC, I recently tested MkLinux and
LinuxPPC to find Linux PPC easier to setup (RedHat style) and much faster
since it doesn't run on top of the Mac's ROM.
Benching with Helios Lantest showed it somewhat slower than ASIP but then
again ASIP ran from a 604/200 and Netatalk ran from a 601/120. The 601/120
compared well with a P133 in Netatalk tests.
I'd say get the RPM's for LinuxPPC on an accessible FTP share on your local
network, make the boot disk, install boot variables on the mac, prepare the
HD and try it out. In local setup, you can easily install LinuxPPC in some
15 minutes, calculate 30 minutes if you add Netatalk and JAVA support which
are not in the distribution.

Have fun, I do

-----------------------------------------
Jean-Pierre Delisle
President, Internet Interactif inc.
355, rue Drapeau
Laval (Québec)  H7L 2B8
Phone: (450) 628-1449
Fax:  (450) 628-9691
http://www.interactif.qc.ca/