Subject: [netatalk-admins] running on Solaris 2.6 x86

From: John Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 00:30:43 -0700

Well I fixed all the (obvious) compilation problems and now I have it
working, well no, not quite...

I can start atalkd and register the machine quite happily, just no one else
can see it. If I run nbplkup it can find itself, I can run aecho and ping
the machine by the registered (if invisible to everyone else) name too.

I think it may be byte-order, but I hacked at endian.h to force it little
endian, but no joy. With some luck I must be pretty close to getting this
running, anyone out there actually have it up and visible ?

---

                                John

---

From: John Grant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 12:14:10 -0700

Well after some snooping, it is obvious that (at the least) there is a
byte-swap problem. Watching the chooser hit the server I can see packets
received of type 9B80 (s.b. 809B).

Looking at the souce there are lots of lines ifdef(sun)&&ifdef(i386)
which (I don't think) can ever work, so I ripped out the ifs leaving all
the calls to hton intact. (hton does byte-swap, I checked). Still no joy,
the machine still sees the swap. I changed at.h to be 9B80 instead, but
that made
no difference. So how does 809b get itself registered to be APPLETALK ?

Anyway, help would be appreciated - the source is all kind of shredded now...

---

                                John

---

From: Thomas Tornblom <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 23:10:09 +0200 (MET DST)

The "ifdef(sun)&&ifdef(i386)" are probably leftovers since I ported netatalk to 
the Sun386i, aka RoadRunner.

This machine runs SunOS 4.0.2 and has absolutely nothing to do with Solaris 2.x 
x86. The ifdefs were really issues with SunOS 4.0.2, not with i386. It seems Sun 
changed some kernel interfaces between 4.0 and 4.1 which made some htons/ntohs 
obsolete.

Thomas

> >Received: from terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu (terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu 
[141.211.164.2]) by hellfire.englund.nu (8.8.8+Sun/8.8.8) with ESMTP id WAA17811 
for <[email-masked]>; Wed, 7 Oct 1998 22:02:26 +0200 (MET DST)
> X-Sender: [email-masked]
> Mime-Version: 1.0
> To: [email-masked]
> From: John Grant <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: running on Solaris 2.6 x86
> 

Real life:      Thomas Törnblom             Email:  [email-masked]
Snail mail:     HB Hax                      Phone:    +46  18 290 290
                Banvallsvägen 14            Fax:      +46  18 290 291
                S - 754 40 Uppsala, Sweden  Cellular: +46  73 986 6318