Subject: [netatalk-admins] Networkproblems :-(

From: Hendrik Voelker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 16:41:16 +0100 (MET)

Hi folkes,

I have run in a problem I cannot solve, so perhapes someone here might
suggest a solution.

Before ich describe the problem, I will give you a quick overview over auch
environment, because I supect the router to be the problem.

We run a little LAN wich is chopped into chunks of 10base2 Ethernet. The
chunks are connecte via a router.

Router: ATI CentreCOM 3008SL IEE802.3 8 Port Repeater
	(+ ATI CentreCOM 210ST TwistedPair-Transceiver)

Host:   SUN SPARCStation 5
	running Linux 2.0.30, RedHat-Distribution 4.2
	Netatalk V1.4b2 orig with a fix of my own.

In addition to the 8 Ethernet-Ports (RG58) the Repeater includes an AUI-Port
wich is used to hook the SUN via the TwistedPair-Transceiver. This is done
because the SUN dose not have other Ethernet-Ports than an AUI and a TP and
this was the cheapest solution available.

Problem: Netatalk runs fine, but it cannot find the other MACs on the
         net (nbplkup) and vice versa the Macs cannot find the Sun.
	 The MACs, though they are on different chunks, find the each other
         without any problems.

Has someone a suggestion where the problem could be?

cu

Hendrik
--

 Hendrik Voelker                           ///////    OO
 [email-masked]   U N I D O ///     ii JJ
                                   ______///////      ii JJ      PGP-FP:
 Institute for Journalistics       \_\_\_\/////       ii JJ      D2 63 EF 98
 Department 15                      \_\_\_\///           JJ      5C 66 D5 C5
 University of Dortmund              \_\_\_\/        JJ  JJ      4D 9B 2B 90
 Germany                                              JJJ        C5 7F 7A 7D

       V+49-231-755-2827 * F+49-231-755-5583 * P+49-1681-9916374

---

From: William LeFebvre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 12:31:02 -0500

> 	(+ ATI CentreCOM 210ST TwistedPair-Transceiver)

I hate to be nitpicky, but that is not a router.  That's a repeater.
There is a difference (a very big difference).

> Has someone a suggestion where the problem could be?

Are there any IP devices on any of the 10-base-2 segments?  Can they
see the Sun?  Or to put it another way, is that AUI port on the
repeater working correctly?  Did you use a conventional AUI cable to
connect the sun to the repeater?  The lone AUI port has me suspicious:
are you sure it is supposed to be used for a host connection and not
as a link in to another repeater?

If you have some sort of connectivity between the thinnet segments and
the Sun, then it is strictly an Appletalk problem.  So that's what I
would test next.

Alternatively, 10-base-2 transceivers are pretty cheap.  See if you
can buy, beg, borrow, or steal one and get the Sun hooked in to one of
the 10-base-2 segments.  Then see if your problems go away.

				William LeFebvre
				Group sys Consulting
				<[email-masked]>
				+1 770 813 3224

---

From: [email-masked] (Hendrik T. Voelker)
Date: 8 Jan 98 22:37:00 +0100

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

                                                 08 Jan 98

 Hi William

 on 08 Jan 98 you wrote a message under the subject "Re:
 [netatalk-admins] Networkproblems :-(" (MSGID:
 [email-masked])

 WL> I hate to be nitpicky, but that is not a router.  That's a repeater.
 WL> There is a difference (a very big difference).

 Yeah, I know. But sometimes there are slips :-)

 WL> Are there any IP devices on any of the 10-base-2 segments?  Can they
 WL> see the Sun?

 Yes, there are, and they can see the sun.

 WL> Did you use a conventional AUI cable to connect the sun to the repeater?

 No, the Transceiver is hooked directly to the AUI-Port. There is a
 crossed TP cable from the transceiver to the sun.

 WL> The lone AUI port has me suspicious:
 WL> are you sure it is supposed to be used for a host connection and not
 WL> as a link in to another repeater?

 Thats the question that accoured to me, too. But ... will this port not
 pass every frame from the other ports to another machine, if it is a
 repeater or the sun? Or will it pass IP-Frames only? The difference
 is not completely clear to me.

 WL> Alternatively, 10-base-2 transceivers are pretty cheap.  See if you
 WL> can buy, beg, borrow, or steal one and get the Sun hooked in to one of
 WL> the 10-base-2 segments.  Then see if your problems go away.

 Yes, thats the next test. But Mail is even cheaper than a 10-base-2
 transceiver ;-)

 cu

 Hendrik
- --