Subject: [netatalk-admins] PhotoShop printing garbage

From: Brian Eric Bothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 14:48:48 -0500 (EST)

We seem to be having a recurrent problem with printing via Netatalk from
PhotoShop.  Most of the time any print jobs result is hundreds of pages
with nothing but a few random characters at the top of the page.  As far I
anyone knows, this ONLY happens with PhotoShop.  Has anyone else seen
behavior like this w/ Netatalk?

(I am running the netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-oa1 RPM under RedHat 5.0,
and the printer is a HP LaserJet 6MP hooked directly to the Linux box, via
the parallel port)

An suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as we are wasting reams of
paper lately!  (I did set up a web-based KILLIT program that allows users
to kill their jobs, but this is a hack and I would prefer no to have to
tell users not to print anything from PhotoShop)

Thanks,

-Brian

---

From: "Robert O'Kane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 18:14:50 +0200

Greetings,

  Seeing as you haven't received any answers yet, I'll give it
a try ;-)

I seem to remeber that photoshop defaults to sending its images in
binary portscript. It was also discussed on this list there is a
'problem' with some printers that they don't expect binary postscript
on interfaces OTHER THAN localtalk/appletalk interfaces. There was
a program mailed to the list which did a conversion (escaped?) the
binary postscript so the printers would accept them. Take a look in
the archives (Sorry, I don't know where they are).

Good Luck,

Bob.
*/

-- 
*/
----------------------------------------------
Unfortunatly, I find language (like politics) necessary for humans.
Leider finde Ich Sprache (wie Politik) fuer die Menschen notwendig.
----------------------------------------------
WHO   : Robert O'Kane
WHERE : Künstlergruppe OTHERSPACE
WHAT  : Founding Member and Linker

WHY   : http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~okane
HOW   : [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian Bothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 11:28:56 -0500 (EST)

> the archives (Sorry, I don't know where they are).

Yup.  Got the filter installed now, and all seems to be working fine.

Thanx,

-brian

PS If anyone else need the filter source code, email me.