Subject: [netatalk-admins] Converting MIME AppleDouble resource fork to netatalk AppleDouble

From: [email-masked] (Thad MacMillan)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 10:52:26 -0700

I'm running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2, and I've hit a small snag. I've
searched the email archives, looked through the source, even wandered through
RFC 1740 with no luck.

I have an application that has to extract MIME attachments from mail files
and make them available via netatalk to some Macs. I'm using munpack to
extract them and further processing the files dependant upon their encoding.

If the encoding is BinHex, MacBinary, or AppleSingle, I can run unbin, unhex,
or unsingle to split the attachments into the 2 files netatalk needs.

I'm running into trouble when the encoding is AppleDouble. munpack leaves me
2 files -- The data fork, and the AppleDouble resource file. I have tried
simply moving the resource file into .AppleDouble with the correct name, but
the Macs only see a default TEXT (folded-corner) document. Upon closer
inspection it appears that the MIME AppleDouble format is a Ver. 2, where,
netatalk uses a Ver. 1 format.

Am I going to be stuck with trying to write a filter to convert these, or has
someone already done it, or am I simply doing something wrong?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Thad MacMillan
Oregonain Publishing Co.
Portland, OR