Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] NetAtalk Development - Rhapsody

From: "Volker Birk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 11:42:40 +0200

>I am planing on replacing my current FreeBSD server with Rhapsody....  A
port
>of netatalk to that platform (or to the bsd4.4 part of it i guess) would be
>*EXTREMELY* appreciated....  however i too am to inept to try it myself :(

How different is Rhapsody from BSD4.4?
Rhapsody Beta is not free, so why use it? MkLinux?

Mac Programs at the same time, OK.

IMHO Apple makes a mistake wanting cash for the beta. Paying $200 for
Rhapsody beta... paying nothing for Linux... hm. Cash for the full release?
OK. I pay also for some other M$ stuff or Apple stuff sometimes... (yes,
this mail is written on Windows NT with Microsoft Outlook Express - booh!
;-)

But: why netatalk for Rhapsody? Apple has anounced "Mac OS X Server
(Rhapsody)". What do they mean with "server" if it has no file server
capabilites ?

VB.
--
*** ebis Informationssysteme                ***  "How do I run Crack under
*** Dachsweg 13, 88339 Bad Waldsee, Germany ***   DOS/Win95? Reformat your
*** Phone +49-7524-93421 Fax +49-7524-93423 ***   hard-drive and install
*** mailto: [email-masked]                      ***   Linux, then try again."

---

From: Marc Matteo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 08:51:20 -0700

As I hear it from the Apple folks in my area, there will really be no
commercial release of "Rhapsody".  What will be released is a "MacOS X
Server" and "MacOS X Workstation".

I assume that Appletalk server support (beyond File Sharing) will be at
least a part of the server version if not both MacOS X flavors.

Kind of makes Netatalk under MacOS X a moot point.

Marc
> ----------
> From: 	Volker Birk
> Reply To: 	Volker Birk
> Sent: 	Monday, July 27, 1998 2:42 AM
> To: 	Sean Murphy; [email-masked]
> Subject: 	Re: [netatalk-admins] NetAtalk Development - Rhapsody
>