Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] howto: solaris2.6 + asun18.2 (fwd)

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 09:58:31 -0800

Sorry, I'm only using the afpd part of netatalk. My /etc/init.d/atalk
doesn't even start papd. or timelord for that matter. Sounds like a
permissions problem though... when you say you can only print as root,
you mean it's an appletalk device and so you can only submit
successful jobs via 'lp' from the netatalk box while logged in as
root?

That sounds like a problem I had before I installed the new beta
kernel driver from Umich. As root I could 'nbplkup' but as no one
else. I'm guessing it had something to do with permissions, atalkd,
and /dev/ddp but I never took the time to figure out what. Just tried
a 'nbplkup' as me (not root) w/ the new driver and it works fine...
are you having trouble w/ or w/o the beta streams driver?

Anyone better-clued than me about this one?

Previously...
>I have been having a small problem w/Solaris 2.5 that you might be able to hel
>with, since you say it is working well.  Namely, I can only print to a
>netatalk printer as root.  If I print as anyone else, the job appears
>in the queue, then disappears shortly thereafter, as it would when
>printing, but it never actually gets printed.  Did you run into this
>problem?
_________
mike ([email-masked])
Adding "just kidding" doesn't make it okay to insult the Principal
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 13:22:18 EST

To clarify, I am using 971027 w/o asun on Solaris 2.5, and can't get
printing to work except for the root user.  When I try nbplkup as
non-root, I get the following output:

sun.ling [/opt/atalk/bin/]> nbplkup
nbp_lookup: Permission denied

There is apparently some permission problem, but I don't know where it
is.  Everything under /opt/atalk is readable and executable to the
world, so I imagine the problem is elsewhere, but I'm not sure where
all the rest of the stuff is or what needs to be readable (since there
doesn't appear to be an nbp_lookup anywhere).

Thanks

Dave

-- 
David A. Schneider			Dept. of Linguistics
[email-masked]			46 E. Delaware
[email-masked]			Newark, DE 19716
http://www.cis.udel.edu/~dschneid	tel. (302) 831-8203

---

From: Edan Idzerda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 13:58:39 -0500 (EST)

> nbp_lookup: Permission denied

Any netatalk program that gives you this error needs to be able
to read /dev/ddp ... which you can do as root (obviously) but
you'll need to do one of two things to fix it for other users:

	1) make nbplkup (and friends) setuid root

		chmod 4755 nbplkup 

	I've never heard of whether or not there are security problems
	associated with this.

	2) make /dev/ddp readable by some group and make nbplkup
	setgid to that group

		chgrp somegroup /dev/ddp
		chgrp somegroup nbplkup
		chmod 2755 nbplkup

- edan