Subject: [netatalk-admins] Strange Error with papd

From: root <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 09:34:42 -0500 (CDT)

I'm running RedHat 4.2/5.0/5.1 machines with netatalk 1.4b2 +
asun2.018.2, kernel 2.0.33.  Earlier this year, they were all functioning
with no problems.  Then sometime in March, papd began not working at all.
(Unfortunately, this is the first block of "free" time that I have to
investigate.)  Here's what syslog says:

Jun  2 08:33:57 elmo papd[402]: child 573 for "HPLJ5-ISC" from 2301.117
Jun  2 08:33:57 elmo papd[573]: child 574 exited with 126
Jun  2 08:33:57 elmo papd[573]: select: Interrupted system call
Jun  2 08:33:57 elmo papd[402]: child 573 killed with 13

	When atalkd, papd, afpd all start up, they don't report anything
unusual.
	The mac sits for a while, then reports that there was an error
printing.  I've tried Macs running 7.0 -> 7.5.5 -> 8.1, all with the same
result.  We had problems with our Local Talk routers about the same time
this error began appearing, so I figured that was the problem.  To be
sure, I isolated one of the linux machines and a mac on a four port hub,
but still with the same error.
	Any thoughts or suggestions of where to look?  Thanks.

_____________________________________________________
Richard H. Fifarek	SIU School of Medicine
[email-masked]	Information Resources
"Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself."
_____________________________________________________