Subject: [netatalk-admins] 8.1 Long Filenames

From: Juan Fernando <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 18:02:57 -0500 (EST)

8.1 removes the necessity of the appearance extension and replaces that
with the Text Encoding Converter extension.
 
It uses Unicode internally for file names, that's how it supports longer
file names.  The OS itself doesn't support unicode directly, hence the
necessary extension.  It'll eventually be phased into the system.

---

From: "Donald L. Nash" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 17:32:38 -0600

--On Wed, Jan 21, 1998 6:02 PM -0500 "Juan Fernando" <[email-masked]>
wrote: 

> file names.

Uh, no.  HFS+ uses Unicode internally to support a richer character set for
file names.  Longer file names are supported by allowing file names to
occupy more space (256 2-byte Unicode characters).  Longer file names could
have been supported just as easily by keeping the current 1-byte extended
ASCII character set and allowing for 256 of those characters instead of 256
Unicode characters.  I suppose that Apple chose Unicode because they decided
that it makes more sense to use a modern character set.

                                ++Don Nash

Internet: [email-masked]     University of Texas System
THEnet:   THENIC::DON           Office of Telecommunication Services