Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Update: locked file and Trash problems

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 98 19:08:02 PST

Interesting!  That isn't the behavior I'm expecting.  The old AppleShare 4.2.1
server gave each client it's own private Trash even though the volume itself was
shared.  There would be one "Trash Can #N" folder in the "Network Trash Folder"
for each client using the Trash on that volume, so Mac A would never see items
in the Trash that were put there by Mac B.  It appears that this scheme should
work with netatalk afpd, but the problem is that the client doesn't create a
"Trash Can #N" when it should, it just gives up and deletes the item
immediately.

I've actually got a work-around in place now, and it seems to be functioning. 
It involves pre-creating the "Trash Can #N" folders from a shell login and then
write-locking "Network Trash Folder" to prevent them from being deleted.  But I
also had to patch afpd a bit to make it work (I think I might have found a bug
there, albeit an obscure one).  Once I've done a bit more testing I'll post the
details.

Thanks to all who replied!

Bob Smith
Hammett & Edison, Inc.
[email-masked]

______________________________________________
Original message sent on Mon, Mar 16  2:47 AM by [email-masked] (Jonathan
Peterson) :

To: [email-masked]
Re: [netatalk-admins] Update: locked file and Trash problems
At 11:17 AM 3/16/98 +0100, Andras Kadinger wrote:
>Bob,
>
>I see the same problems with netatalk Trash handling as You do - although
>I did not research it further -, so I suppose, either we both have the 
>same configuration problem, or this really is a bug.

I can't replicate with the latest asun on my network - This is what I get....

Mac client a connects to the share Temp_store. Mac client b connects to the
same share. Client a drags the file foo.gif to the trash can. After a short
delay, the file foo.gif disappears from client b's screen. Client b drags
bar.gif to the trash can. Client a empties their trash can. Both foo.gif
and bar.gif are removed from the server.

--------
Jon Peterson	[email-masked]	+44 (0)171 613 5300
Internet Developer

When she told me I was average, she was just being mean.