Subject: [netatalk-admins] urgent: user volume does not show, word documents can´t be read

From: Peter Bolmehag <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 12:57:58 +0100

hi!

I´ve got 2 problems. I run netatalk 3.something. It works great but:

- The users I create in Linux does not get their own volume in the apple
chooser.

- When I save an excel document with pc and SAMBA in the Nacintosh file
area. The mac can´t read it. They get the message "the file can´t be read".
If I take the same file and save it on a disk on a PC and open it on a mac
the file can be read by mac excel with no problems. If I save a excel file
on the linux box on a mac, that file can be read and changed on a PC using
samba. It only fails if the file is created from scratch on a pc.

Any clues?

Peter

---

From: David Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 20:28:09 -0600

> samba. It only fails if the file is created from scratch on a pc.

Map your Excel extension ("*.xls"?) to the appropriate type/creator in
AppleVolumes.system. You could hexdump the resource fork of an Excel 
file created by a Mac to find the values your Mac user's like. Simply 
cd to an .AppleDouble directory and hexdump an Excel file there.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [email-masked]
=====================================================================
The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its
capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.