Subject: [netatalk-admins] wrong password

From: Claes Lindvall <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 08:20:05 +0100

Hi!
I have just installed netatlk 1.4b2 on my linux slakware 3.4, kernel
2.0.30. When I try to mount a volume through appleshare I cant log in.
Wrong password, it says. Netatalk 1.42b doesn´t need a path for working
with shadow passwords (I think), just add -DSHADOWPW in Makefile for
afpd, under the CFLAGS-thing (am I right?), Compile it and replace the
old afpd with the new one (am I right here too?). But still I´m not able
to login as a user, just as guest. 

Greatful for some advise here.
Claes Lindvall
Sweden

---

From: Chad Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 08:53:13 -0600 (CST)

I've always had intermittent problems with netatalk 1.4b2 suddenly not
listening for connections.  Atalkd doesn't die, it just won't respond to
anything.  I think yesterday I figured out what's happening.  It appears
that something is going wrong whenever anyone enters an incorrect
password.  After that happens, no one else can even connect.  Also, if I
try to shut down atalkd without reboot, i.e. ....atalkd.init stop, it
responds that the machine cannot be unregistered.  I'm running RedHat 4.2
on a SPARCstation 5 with kernel 2.0.30.  Anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks,

Chad

-------------
Chad Campbell
Web Manager, University of Kansas Natural History Museum
[email-masked]
http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~campbell

---

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Feb 1998 19:24:35 +0200

> password.  After that happens, no one else can even connect.  Also, if I

Upgrade to netatalk1.4b2+asun. Fixes that and many, many other problems.

(this should be a RedHat FAQ: the netatalk RPM they ship is broken)

-- 
Some people are discovered; others are found out.
Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>

---

From: Tim Buller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 14:34:30 -0600 (CST)

> (this should be a RedHat FAQ: the netatalk RPM they ship is broken)

The Debian 1.3.1 package was broken for me as well; I installed 1.4b2
straight up and have had no problems with it...

	Tim

====
Tim Buller                                       [email-masked]
Systems Specialist                       Snow Hall 643, (785) 864-7311
Department of Mathematics     University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045