Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] File locking issues?

From: "Johan Meiring" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:30:21 +0100

Hi,

I had a Linux server setup with Samba 1.9.17alpha4 (also 1.9.16p11) and
netatalk (I think 1.3.1 or something of the sort).

File locking was working perfectly, from both sides.  The PC told you it
could only open the file read-only, and the Mac refused to open it, if the
other has the file open.

Is file locking enabled on your samba server?

Unfortunately the Linux server was killed about 4 months ago, and I can not
remeber more info.

Johan Meiring

>At 03:33 PM 4/14/98 -0700, Philip Hallstrom wrote:
>
>>
>>I've got a Sun that I want to use for file services for our desktops
(Mac,
>>W95).  I was planning on using netatalk and samba until I thought about
>>the lack of file locking b/n the two.
>>
>>My question is - for those of you who run both samba and netatalk have
you
>>had problems with files getting corrupted due to lack of file locking?
>
>Well, I ran some rudimentary tests with Microsoft word (6.0Mac and 97Win)
>on a Mac and PC both trying to edit the same file:
>
>Test 1. Open file on PC. Attempt to open on Mac. Opens without warnings.
>Make change on mac and save. Saves without warning. make change on PC and
>save, gives 'there has been a network or file permission error'.
>
>
>Test 2. Open file on a Mac. Attempt to open on a PC, gives 'word cannot
>open this document' but doesn't say why.
>
>Bit random and strange, basically. I might add that this is better than
the
>WinNT 'services of Mac' does, which lets you merrily write ontop of
>everything. Still, it is not ideal.

---

From: Jonathan Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 14:57:41 +0100

>Is file locking enabled on your samba server?

Under Samba locking is enabled, but strict locking is not.
I'm not aware of there being any locking options on netatalk, I've
certainly not set anything.

Locking does seem to be very program dependant. Microsoft apps are normally
very good at requesting locks and such, in my experience. I could try
turning on strict locking for samba and seeing what the difference is.

--------
Jon Peterson	[email-masked]	+44 (0)171 613 5300

"Behold the duck, it does not cluck,
A cluck it lacks. It quacks."