Subject: [netatalk-admins] Attempting to run newer netatalk with RH 4.1

From: Wagner One <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 14:33:53 -0500

In my attempt to resolve login problems with Netatalk 1.3.3 and Open 
Transport, it was recommended that I install the version of netatalk 
listed below. I thought I had done everything correctly, but receive this 
message when I run /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start

(root@zone)/etc/rc.d/init.d# ./atalk start
Starting AppleTalk services: atalkd atalkd is already running, or the 
lock file
is stale.
bind: Cannot assign requested address
bind: Cannot assign requested address
papd afpd

It always says the lockfile is stale or it's already running. I'm pretty 
sure this is due to my mucking around trying to satisfy all the 
dependencies for RPM, netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-phh4.i386.rpm

I killed the lockfile process and ensured that the lock file was not 
present. atalkd is not running. I get this message even after just 
booting.

First I had to satisfy the dependencies of and install a newer RPM to 
even install a newer pam (required by this version of ntalk) and finally 
this version of netatalk. I did most of this by hand, so I probably 
messed something up. I didn't remove anything, just downloaded the 
particular files rpm asked for and put them in their places.

Is there any way to discern, from the above message, what may be the 
culprit, missing and/or misconfigured component?

Thanks,
Mike

--
Mike Wagner - A bad Dead show is better than a good day at work...
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

---

From: anthonyj <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 98 17:00:41 -0400

Try atalk stop (which should clear the lock files) and then atalk start.

---

From: Wagner One <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 16:22:23 -0500

I tried that first off. I think it creates the lockfile as it starts up 
and then atalkd actually fails and the lockfile remains.