Subject: [netatalk-admins] papd, set up from scratch

From: Paul Krohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 98 17:28:49 -0800

I spent a little while trying to set up a print spool on solaris, to no 
avail. thanks to those who contributed scripts and advice.

Before i spend $500 on a commercial print spooler, i thought i'd take a 
run at setting up a spool on linux (specifically, linuxppc-R4).

I've read man pages and readmes but sadly, none of these can impart to me 
the concepts necessary.  what i'd like to produce out of this would be a 
stat-to-finish howto for folks setting up their first pap/papd/netatalk 
printer/spool.

what i've accomplished so far:

1. created a papd.conf file that papd likes and causes a LaserWriter 
device to appear in the chooser.

sloppy\ spool:\
       :pr=lp-sloppies:op=lp:\
       :pd=/usr/lib/atalk/ppd/HP_LaserJet_4_Plus.PPD

2. created an entry in printcap that i believe should work for a properly 
set up print device.

lp-sloppies:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp-sloppies:\
        :mx=0:\
        :sh:\
        :rm=spool:\
        :rp=lp:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:\

what remains to be done:

1. create a functional priter device (/dev/sloppies, or something) that i 
can send a postscript file to, that sends jobs to the printer vi pap (the 
printer in question is appletalk-only).

2. ideally, cause the printer to be 'captured' so that it's actual 
appletalk name does not show up in the chooser.

3. some other stuff i probably don't even know about yet ...

------------
Paul Krohn
San Francisco Examiner Systems Department
110 Fifth Street
San Francisco, CA  94103
415-777-7884
[email-masked] - www.examiner.com