Subject: [netatalk-admins] Mac files over the web

From: Magnus Stenman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 17:06:18 +0100

Does anyone know how to send a Mac file
stored on a netatalk server
(with data and resource) to a Mac web browser,
so that the mac stores it correctly?

Which mime type should I send it as,
and how should I put the two parts together
so I can send them as one file?

I was thinking in the lines of:

Unix             Web server          Mac
----             ----------          ---
data f                            recieve
        >  join to one file     < and unpack
res f      send as mime type      into data/res,
           application/whatever   store correctly
                                  on disk

I would rather not convert to hqx on the fly,
but I guess megatron can do that for me..

/magnus

---

From: Robert Schmid <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 14:34:35 -0600

asun's patch has support for the PAM module in Linux, but FreeBSD does not
need PAM since shadowed passwords are built in.  However, I can't get
netatalk to let my mac users change their password - (I THINK I have
-setpassword and -savepassword set correclty).

What do I need to do?

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:12:29 -0800 (PST)

actually, this requires the same solution as ftp. the server needs to
package the two forks and send it off. converting to macbinary or
binhex are the two most common candidates although you could
potentially use applesingle. megatron probably needs to be modified to
stream to stdout out or something, but that's not that difficult. for
the mime types, use application/macbinary and application/mac-binhex40
(or application/applefile for applesingle). 

-a