Subject: [netatalk-admins] Xinet/Helios -> NetAtalk

From: Mike Mansell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 15:13:49 -0500 (EST)

Has anyone had experience with converting from Xinet K-Ashare or Helios
EtherShare to NetAtalk??  Any scripts or programs out there to do this?
We plan to offer UNIX-Apple solutions to a few companies, using netatalk
(because of the price :), and I'm not relishing the job of changing all
the directory structures and volumes formats...  help?

--
    /\     Michael G. Mansell, BSc. (SCS)  Office:  (416) 665-0767  x228
   /\ \    Engineering Support Services    clearNET:(416) 984-7839
  /\ \ \   DataVation Inc., Toronto        Fax:     (416) 665-8285
 /  \ \ \  WWW.DataVation.COM              Email:   [email-masked]

---

From: Dwight Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 15:35:46 -0500 (EST)

> the directory structures and volumes formats...  help?

Use a macintosh to copy between the volumes or possibly use Xinet's KFS to 
mount the netatalk volume and copy the contents.

---
Essential Technical Services, Inc.  
315 Allen Street Cumming, GA 30130
voice:(770) 889-2848  fax:(770) 889-2624 Internet:[email-masked]
http://www.etsinc.com

---

From: Mike Mansell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 00:42:24 -0500 (EST)

> mount the netatalk volume and copy the contents.

Yes, that would be the easiest, but likely not the fastest.  I'm dealing
with near-line storage, and upwards of 500GB or more at times.  I've seen
on the Xinet www site that they have scripts to convert Helios->Xinet and
CAP->Xinet, also using something called 'kunarc' in the process (something
I'm not familiar with).  I just want to go the other way with the least
pain... renaming directorys shouldn't be a big problem, its all those
.HSAncillary files and such.