Subject: [netatalk-admins] Problems with printing under OS 8.1

From: Oliver Grass <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 13:14:44 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi folks,

recently there appeared some strange problems with Netatalk 1.4b2 and MAC
OS 8.1.

Three month ago i installed Linux on a 486er machine. This machine worked
as a Print- and File-Server for a Windows95-PC and a PowerMAC 9500/120...
Everything worked fine, i configured the printer as described in the
manual from Anders Brownworth. 
So i was able to print and to access the files from the PC on the
Linux-Box..
Then we upgraded from MAC OS 7.5.2 to MAC OS 8.1....
Then there appeared some strange problems with the filenames on the
Linux-machine. 
I detected that this was a problem from MAC OS 8.* and i noticed there was
a bugfix available on the netatalk-Homepage...
But printing worked very well...
Then we decided to upgrade our server...
So i switched the printer to the localtalk-connection from the mac.

The server now is a Pentium 200 MMX with an Asus TX97-E Mainboard with
32MB EDO-RAM.
When we finished the upgrading i switched the printer to the linux-box as
before, and the the trouble started...
I recompiled netatalk with the bugfixes and tried to install a new printer
on the MAC. I used the Chooser, there appeared the printer as a selection.
I clicked on it, then i wanted to make some changes....
I used the automatic configuration possibility, so i pressed printer-info
(i don't know the correct name, since we are using the german version of
MAC OS 8.1)....
... and then the strang things happened.
I get the errors 1, 2 or 3, and each time i had to restart the computer...
But no communication with the printer was done...
Since then, the printer refuses to print....
And i don't know were the problem is. I suppose it has something to do
with MAC OS 8.1, but i really don't know.....

I would be very happy, if someone can help me
Thanks in advance
Oliver

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Oliver Graß				       	                      |
| Freiheitsplatz 10     E-mail: [email-masked]           |
| 68199 Mannheim        WWW: http://webrum.uni-mannheim.de/math/grass |