Subject: [netatalk-admins] [Off topic] Ethertalk specs

From: "Fred Lindberg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:40:33 -0500

Hi:

Can anyone give me a URL, book recommendation, or such for packet level
specifications of ethertalk and appletalk, i.e. things like where there
LLAP code goes that specifies short vs long ddp packets, what the flag
byte values for GNIReply are, etc?

I'm trying to troubleshoot a netatalk installation and for this to
modify tcpdump to give more high level info on GNIreq/GNIreply for
ethertalk. My Macintosh networking bible has clear errors in the packet
formats and any atalk/netatalk FAQs haven't been  helpful.

Thanks!

-Sincerely, Fred

(Frederik Lindberg, Infectious Diseases, WashU, St. Louis, MO, USA)

---

From: Rob Newberry <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 11:51:02 -0500 (EST)

> formats and any atalk/netatalk FAQs haven't been  helpful.

"Inside AppleTalk" is the absolute official word on this; you should be
able to find a PDF version at:

http://developer.apple.com/dev/opentransport/docs/dev/Inside_AppleTalk.pdf

Cheers,

Rob