Subject: [netatalk-admins] do I need atalkd?

From: [email-masked] (Ray Zimmerman)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 08:45:07 -0400

I just attempted to install netatalk on our Sun Ultra running Solaris
2.5.1. I used the latest beta from mich (netatalk-980819) for the kernel
piece (make kinstall) and the latest asun version
(netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0) for the rest.

My goal was simply to get an AppleShare IP server running, which it appears
I was able to do successfully. I purposely left out the printing stuff, but
I thought I was setting it up for regular AppleShare access as well
(non-IP), but nothing shows up in the Chooser.  When I looked, I couldn't
find an atalkd process anywhere, just afpd.

My questions:
- What does atalkd do?
- Do I need it for AppleShare IP or just for regular AppleShare?
- Any ideas where to start looking for mis-configuration given my descriptions?

Thanks,

 Ray Zimmerman ::: e-mail: [email-masked] ::: 428-B Phillips Hall
               :::  phone: (607) 255-9645   ::: Cornell University
               :::    FAX: (607) 254-4565   ::: Ithaca, NY  14853

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 15:13:59 +0200 (SAT)

> - What does atalkd do?

allows appletalk

> - Do I need it for AppleShare IP or just for regular AppleShare?

yes

> - Any ideas where to start looking for mis-configuration given my descriptions?

no, sorry. try run it manually and see if it comes up with an error. it
should pause for about 1/2 a minute before returning control to the cli.