Subject: [netatalk-admins] HP III Text Printer

From: "Robert J. Marinchick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 08:43:22 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I've got Netatalk running on a Solaris IPC using 2.6. 

We've got a HPIII Text Printer sitting out on our network that we would
like to use as an Appletalk printer. Can we use this printer to print Mac 
output if we have the correct .ppd file? 

The documentation "How to setup the printer using Appletalk" implies that 
we can set this up as a locally attached printer (which seem to work, I
can print Post Script code on that printer).

How do I setup the .ppd file? The documentation shows the .ppd resident
in a Unix directory. When I read the documentation at the  Adobe URL it 
looks as if it belongs on the Mac.

Will this printer work with the proper .ppd, and how would I set it up?

All comments are appreciated.

Bob Marinchick
[email-masked]

---

From: Edan Idzerda <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:23:45 -0500 (EST)

> output if we have the correct .ppd file? 

If it prints PostScript, like you say it does, it should be relatively
easy to get the printer working with papd.  

	http://www.cec.mtu.edu/Doc/FAQ/netatalk.html

If there aren't enough notes on that page to get you going, or you hate it, 
or whatever, let me know.

- edan

---

From: David Perry <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 01:25:05 +0000 ()

Robert,

YOu reference this as a text printer then as a postscript printer. The 
mac expects networked printers (those that are available through the 
laserwriter driver in the chooser) to be postscript devices, so we will 
look that way. 

The ppd for a printer should be located on each client macintosh in

:System Folder:Extentions:Printer Descriptions:

Pick the laserwriter (version 8.5.x is current) from the chooser, then 
click SETUP. If the printer (or print spooler) provided an intelligent 
response, the mac would auto-select the correct ppd. From there if it has 
not setup all the advanced options such as multilple trays, installed 
memory, there will be another button available if you click SETUP again. 
For the mac to be able to find the correct PPD it needs to have to 
correct name. This would be either the mac name or the short pc name, 
both of which can be found if your browse the ppd with a text editor.

Hope this helps.

David Perry

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Robert J. Marinchick wrote:

> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 08:43:22 -0500 (EST)
> From: Robert J. Marinchick <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [netatalk-admins] HP III Text Printer
> 
> Hi,
>