Subject: [netatalk-admins] Login problems revisted...

From: Brian Eric Bothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 19:24:53 -0500 (EST)

I posted a few weeks ago about strange login problems I was having
from our G3 (running MacOS 8.1).  They seemed to fix themselves a few
hours later, but now they are back!:

Attempts to login to one of our netatalk (netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2)
servers (running under RedHat Linux 5.0/2.0.32) from the G3 gives the
"incorrect password, please try again" error message, but NOT always!  It
seems to do this somewhat at random!  It does seem to work on about 50-75%
of the attempts IF I use the "Server IP Address" option to directly enter
the server's IP#.  It has yet to work by clicking on the server name
directly (in the 30+ attempts I have tried today)

I tried setting up netatalk on another Linux box, and logins to it failed
most of the time as well.

I checked the log files and this is what happens during
every unsuccessful login attempt: 

Apr 16 18:29:47 wtlinux afpd[10031]: ASIP session:548(2) from
156.56.101.120:2068(4) 
Apr 16 18:29:47 wtlinux afpd[9447]: server_child[1] 10031 done

So there is some sort of connection happening.
Logins to other Macs on the network seem to work fine, it's just logins
to netatalk that choke.

The G3 is running Open Transport 1.3 (AT Driver 60.3), but I tried
login in to the very same accounts from a few of our other machines
running Open Transport 1.3 (and 1.2) machines and have NEVER had any
problems.

One thing I don't know about AppleTalk is how the router is selected by a
given machine.  On the G3, the router # shows up as 46672.83, but on other
machines on the same network it is different.  (BUT most of the
machine I checked ARE 46672.83, and logins work from them) Could this be a
problem? I am rather clueless about the AppleTalk/LocalTalk protocols.

At this point I am beginning to suspect something is really wacked out with
our G3, as we have had problems with the Choose crashing constantly until
I reinstalled 8.1 from scratch.  Since then it seems to be OK, until this
netatalk login problem.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions as to what might be causing this? 

Thanks!

-Brian