Subject: [netatalk-admins] Can't log on after Mac crash

From: [email-masked] (Lee Blevins)
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 06:23:30 -0500

I'm using FreeBSD 2.2.6 and Netatalk 1.4b2 without the asun patch. The
reason I stopped using the asun patch seems to be still happening
without it.

After a mac hangs and we have to reboot, we can't log back on. Rebooting
the server solves this and we can log back on. Also, if we wait a
several minutes we can log back on.

We have machines on 10bt connected to our 100bt network via a bridge.
Once those machines crash and can't re-connect we have to reboot the
server.

Is there a simple fix at the bsd box to allow this?

BTW, all clients have the same user name and password. This is required
by our rampage ripping system. At least, it's suggested by them. I'll
change that if it's the problem.

tia

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:42:41 -0700 (PDT)

the server side is going to take a few minutes to figure out that its
connection is dead. that's part of the protocol. if you want to avoid
these few minutes, just log into the server and kill the correct afpd
process.

-a

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:42:41 -0700 (PDT)

-a