Subject: [netatalk-admins] forbidden characters on pc

From: chris thoen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:23:57 +0100

We use a linux fileserver with  a mix of macs (netatalk) and pc's
(Samba).
Is it possible in netatalk to put some filter in de filenames that can
be used, so Samba doen't have a problem with deleting files.
f.i. sometimes the MACS create a file 'Icon\r' (with \r a carriage
return).  For a pc-user , it is impossible to delete a directory
with such a file.

Does anybody knows a solution for this?

Thanks,

Chris

--
Chris THOEN
Systeembeheerder Net it be
Posthoflei 3
2600  BERCHEM
tel     :       03/286.04.34
fax     :       03/286.04.70
email   :       [email-masked]
url     :       www.netit.be

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 16:53:56 +0000 (GMT)

> Does anybody knows a solution for this?

If you know in advance what the troublesome files are going to be, you
could use the 

veto files = troublesome name 1/troublesome name 2/etc 
and
delete veto files = true

options in Samba. I'm not sure if you can get a \r into the veto files
thing though. Good luck.
--
fsck -f -b 8193 /dev/cortex

---

From: [email-masked] (Mike Rigby)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 16:08:47 GMT

>Does anybody knows a solution for this?
There used to be a utility called rm ( no surprise ) for dos/windows.
The program was rm.exe and as far as I remember coped with any file by
judicious use of wildcards in the filename to delete.
I found it on compuserve  a few years ago but I don't know if it's
still there.

	Regards,
		Mike

                 Mike Rigby

            [email-masked]

Who is General Failure and why is he reading Drive C

---

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 18:56:04 +0100

> Does anybody knows a solution for this?

Yes. 

I sent a patch in to this list about three months ago that, together
with some instructions on how to set up Samba, set things up so that the
iso-latin character set is used by both systems (samba & netatalk) to
represent filenames. This code could easily be modified to change \r
into something pc-readable. See if you can find my old mail, and I will
to and redistribute it to you.

BTW. Do you have a list of which characters are illegal? Would be
helpful.

Regards,
Palle