Subject: [netatalk-admins] RPM of asun's netatalk...

From: mail-atalk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 02:28:04 -0800

Has anyone attempted an RPM of asun's netatalk installation, similar to 
Red Hat's... ? Would make installation for newbies like myself much 
easier...

Harry

---

From: Oliver Wrede <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 12:38:14 +0100

>Red Hat's... ? Would make installation for newbies like myself much 

I can see most people turn to Adrians version of Netatalk now. Adrian
does a damn good work on Netatalk and it is going to be a killer-app
for Linux!

Nevertheless - as far as I understand it - there is an "a sun"-Version
and an "official" release - currently in 1.4b2 state.

Isn't it possible to join forces in developing _one_ Netatalk instead
of two? As far as I can tell, Adrians release has already included
lots of improvements over the official 1.4b2 version. So why not
come up with a 1.5b1?

I remember to have read something about "licence conditions" of the
official version, which Adrian did not want to apply to - isn't there
a way to get rid of this contrains?

What should be the "advantage" of this? -- Well, I think more
developers may consider helping to develop Netatalk, if there would
be an unified project. But maybe there's no one around with the
necessary in-depth knowledge of AppleTalk AND Unix (maybe even not
at Apple itself?)

Oliver

. Oliver Wrede . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email-masked] .
. tel. +49 2203 913 200 .  office +49 221 9522 601 . fax +49 221 9522 605  .
. School of Design, University of Applied Science, Cologne . . . . . . . . .
. <http://www.ds.fh-koeln.de/~owrede>http://www.ds.fh-koeln.de/~owrede/ . .
. .
. . . . ICQ# 6580315  . . . . .

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 09:51:31 -0800 (PST)

actually, i believe the concern was the fact that i added my own
copyright (identical to umich's in terms) to some of the new stuff
i've added in. i said that i was willing to remove that, but that i
felt that i should get some type of acknowledgement for the amount of
effort i've put into the code. the other concern is the fact that i've
added in a number of different things, and the umich folks like to
check each feature/fix in individually.

-a