Subject: [netatalk-admins] Mac folders/files on Solaris 2.6 box

From: "Robert J. Marinchick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 08:20:22 -0500 (EST)

Hi Folks,

I have netatalk1-4.b2 working on a Solaris 2.6 box.  The machine name is 
majink1.

We are currently testing the Mac interface and my Mac tester has experienced 
the following inconsistancies:

---------------------------
I drag a folder from the Macintosh to a window displaying my home
directory, which is actually on home1.itc but mounted on majink1.  I get
message that the folder cannot be written because I "don't have enough
access privileges".  I own my home directory, and the owner has all
permissions.  And the Guest subdirectory on majink1 is set to 777.  Despite
the message, the directory _is_ created and shows up on the Mac side. If
there were files in the folder being copied I get the message that the
files could not be written because they could not be found (odd message).
The files are _not_ created.
------------------------

I added the  3 Solaris patches @ Umich.edu, and remade netatalk. My Mac tester 
now gets:

--------------------------
The folder copying problem is still there.  However, I found that this only
occurs at the top level of my home directory.  I have all rights to my home
directory, but perhaps the process is trying to write to the parent
directory?  At any rate, an easy workaround is to just keep all Mac files
in a folder under my home directory, rather than directly in home.  This
seems to work.  It also corrects some flakiness related to deleting folders.

On to the next problem.  SimpleText is a basic text editor that comes with
every Mac.  If you create a file with SimpleText and save it on the unix
host running atalk it does not get saved.  No error message or indication
of trouble, but the file is not there, or on local storage either.  I
tested SimpleText first because it is so common and basic.  But now I have
gone on to test some other applications.  WordPerfect and BBEdit Lite, a
public domain editor were ok on a quick test.  However, SuperPaint has a
problem:  when you revise a file, then try to save the revision, you get a
spurious error that the disk is full.
---------------------------------

Has anyone experienced these problems? Are there any solutions?

As always, all help is greatly appreciated.

Bob Marinchick
[email-masked]