Subject: [netatalk-admins] Problems With AppleVolumes.System

From: "Jonathan R. Wilner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 10:48:00 -0500

Forgive me if this is a FAQ, but It was my impression that using
AppleVolumes.System in ETCDIR would allow the Mac to interpret the
various UNIX, PCs, etc extensions as the correct file types, even
without resource forks.  Unfortunately, unless I create files from the
Mac, or use FileTyper to change the fork, everything shows up as text
files.

Is there any way to do this? Is AppleVolumes supposed to do it? I would
greatly appreciate any help & would definitely summarize for a FAQ.

Thanks,

Jonathan Wilner

---

From: Bill Stewart-Cole <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 10:56:01 -0600

>Mac, or use FileTyper to change the fork, everything shows up as text

To be a bit pedantic: types and creators are not directly related to
resource forks. The only connection is that both the extra data stream in
some Mac files and the extra meta-information connected to most Mac files
set Mac files apart from files in simpler filesystems.

>greatly appreciate any help & would definitely summarize for a FAQ.

That's certainly what AppleVolumes.system is supposed to do, but
AppleVolumes.System will probably do nothing. :)

The pitfalls:

1. Unix filesystems are case-sensitive.
2. AppleVolumes.system in a user's home directory will override
ETCDIR/AppleVolumes.system.
3. Wherever it is, AppleVolumes.system must be readable by the user. If it
is mode 0600 root.root you will not be using it...

----
Bill Stewart-Cole
This space for rent. Inquire within.

---

From: Brian Reid <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 98 09:56:40 -0800

I've never been able to get any netatalk file to show up with any
creator but TEXT UNIX no matter what I put in my ApppleVolumes.system
file. I had just assumed that this was an unimplemented feature.  It's
supposed to work?

% pwd
/usr/local/atalk/etc
% grep afpd rc.atalk
if [ -f /usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd ]; then
        /usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd -n Storage;           echo -n ' afpd'
% ls -l AppleVolumes.system
-rw-r--r--  1 reid  daemon 901 Nov 23 09:14 AppleVolumes.system
% more AppleVolumes.system
# default
.       BINA    UNIX

# sounds
.mod    STrk    STrk
.mid    Midi    ttxt
.aiff   AIFF    SNdm
.wav    WAVE    SNdm
.au     ULAW    SNdm

# video
.moov   MooV    mMPG
.mov    MooV    mMPG
.mpg    MPEG    mMPG
.mpeg   MPEG    mMPG

# formatted text
.html   TEXT    MOS!
.rtf    TEXT    MSWD
.doc    WDBN    MSWD
.cwk    CWWP    BOBO

# compressed archives
.bin    BINA    MB2P
.zip    ZIP     ZIP 
.tar    TARF    TAR!
.gz     Gzip    Gzip
.Z      ZIVM    LZIV
.sea    ????    SITx
.cpt    PACT    CPCT
.sit    SIT!    SIT!
.hqx    TEXT    SITx

# graphics
.tiff   TIFF    JVWR
.tif    TIFF    JVWR
.bmp    BMPp    JVWR
.pct    PICT    ttxt
.pict   PICT    ttxt
.jpeg   JPEG    JVWR
.jpg    JPEG    JVWR
.gif    GIFf    JVWR

---

From: Scott Venier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 15:06:51 -0500 (EST)

This is only sort of related, but it is a problem that I'm having with the
AppleVolumes.system.  I'm wondering how to specify types or creators that
have a space in them (for example MP3 /MAmp).  I have it in the
AppleVolumes.system like this:
.mp3	MP3 	MAmp

I've also tried:
.mp3	MP3\ 	MAmp

neither of them worked.  Is it possible to specify a type or creator code
with a space in it at all?

Scott

> % more AppleVolumes.system

=====================================================================
Scott Venier                      *ResComp Network Support Technician
[email-masked]                        *Consultant for Ingematics,
[email-masked]                     a division of Compu-Aid, Inc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: David Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 20:52:08 -0600

> with a space in it at all?

It amazes me sometimes how seemingly nothing interesting is happening 
and suddenly everybody had the same problems I'm having.

Today after several hours learning more netatlk than I wanted to I found

.zip	"ZIP "	"ZIP "

is the only way to really get that trailing space in those fields. The 
standard AppleVolumes.system which ships with netatlk-1.4b2 is wrong.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [email-masked]
=====================================================================
The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its
capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.