Subject: [netatalk-admins] problems printing win95-generated ps from linux

From: Dan Pritts <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 04:08:46 -0400

hi all,

i've got a strange printing problem.

My setup:

 pentium 100 running alternately win95 or redhat 4.1
  netatalk 1.4b2 rpm binary distribution from ftp.redhat.com
   kernel 2.0.27
   also running afs on linux box
  last ps level 1 compatible postscript win95 drivers from ftp.adobe.com
   (the most recent drivers don't work with level 1)
 7200/75 running macOS 8.1 w/ laserwriter bridge
   |
   ---> personal laserwriter NT on localtalk connected to pmac 7200
 IIfx running 7.something

The pentium and the two macs are connected via ethernet.  The IIfx and
the 7200 can print to the laserwriter with no problems, as you would
expect.

Running linux, and doing a simple "nenscript" of a text file, I can
print with no problems.  

printing to a file on win95, and ftp'ing that file to the 7200, and
printing it from there (via drag'n'drop desktop printing), works fine.

the problem:  Copying that same file from the (mounted) win95 partition,
and lpr'ing it from linux, the pages print, and then the printer goes
into an infinite loop as if it's waiting for closure of some sort.

I've tried removing the control-D at the end of the windows-generated
postscript, removing the CR's from the postscript file, and i think
tried both of these at once.  Neither of these seems to have any effect.

This isn't a huge problem, since how often do you want to do that, eh?
except...my eventual plan was to bring up linux on my old 386 and have
it run samba and netatalk so i could print from win95 without screwing
around with printing to files & ftp'ing them, and i'm afraid i'll run
into similar problems in that case.

If anyone's run into this or something similar, please let me know
what you found out.

thanks,
danno
---
dan pritts 
734/996-0169
think i'm gonna buy myself a Rolls, maybe a Chevrolet...

---

From: "Sean A. Snyder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 09:03:20 -0400

>    ---> personal laserwriter NT on localtalk connected to pmac 7200
[Stuff Deleted]
> If anyone's run into this or something similar, please let me know

I ran into a similar issue printing from Win95 boxes to AppleTalk
printers.  In my config, I was trying to print (via Samba) to
Unix printers that were connected to the Unix servers via
AppleTalk, by way of IPT's Ushare product.  My config was much
different from yours, but it never hurts to try...
  It's worth a shot...

In your Win95 printer driver configuration, select the PostScript
tab.  The top entry, PostScript Format (or something like that)
defaults to a value of "Optimize for Speed" (or something like that)
in Adobe drivers.  Select the "Optimize for Speed" pull-down, and
then select "Archive Format".  

After doing this, "print" your win95 doc to a postscript file 
using this driver, and then FTP it to your Linux box, and
then try LPRing it.

Let me know if it works!

Sean

-- 
___________________________________________                         
Sean A. Snyder ([email-masked])         \ Strange but not a stranger
Systems Administrator                       \ I'm an ordinary guy... 
Campbell-Ewald Advertising/C-E Communications\_________________________