Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] 1.4b2+asun and passwords

From: "Eric KieslingThompson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 21:15:19 -0800

YOU'RE RIGHT!!!

Thank you for the tip.  I changed the passwd file username entry so that it
started with a small, instead of cap, and it worked.  In addition, the
chooser login name still started with a cap, just as you had indicated.

But this is a problem, right?  Why is it doing this?

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael A. Erickson <[email-masked]>
To: Eric KieslingThompson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Friday, March 13, 1998 1:06 PM
Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] 1.4b2+asun and passwords

>"Eric KieslingThompson" <[email-masked]> writes:
>> I downloaded "netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2" and finally got successful
>> compiles.  Unfortunately, no matter what I try, I can't seem to get
netatalk
>> to accept my passwords.  I've done the obvious, such as add -DSHADOWPW to
>> cflags, to /sys/linux/Makefile, etc., and also everything that I could
find
>> in mail from this list.  As I said, I am getting successful compiles--no
>> erros or warnings.  I have been running 1.4b2 on several systems with no
>> problems.  What can I be missisng?
>
>I had this problem for a while after upgrading from 1.4b2 to the
>latest (?) asun release.
>
>I found that the problem was not my password, but my username.  I had
>created an entry in my passwd file with Erickson as the username that
>worked fine in 1.4b2, but once I upgraded, I couldn't mount anything
>until I changed the username in the passwd file to erickson (even
>though my username was still listed as Erickson with a captital E in
>the chooser dialog).
>
>Could that be your problem?
>
>\MaE
>
>Michael A. Erickson
>[email-masked]
>

---

From: "Michael A. Erickson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 10:57:13 -0500

> But this is a problem, right?  Why is it doing this?

I took a real quick look at auth.c in the afpd source, and it goes
through the username and makes it all lower case.

Actually, I consider this a feature as long as it's documented.  I'm
pretty sure that macintosh usernames are case insensitive.  Thus, if
you ensure that all your passwd file entries are lower case, this
makes the afpd server more like a mac.

This might do well to make it into a readme or a faq if it's not
already there.  (I couldn't find it, but I have had pretty bad luck
geting info on netatalk outside of this list.)

\MaE

Michael A. Erickson
[email-masked]