Subject: [netatalk-admins] Using lpdaemon on the Printer port

From: [email-masked] (Frank Crawford)
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 17:26:30 +1100

I originally sent this out over Christmas, but didn't get any response
(it must have been the season) so I'm asking again.

I need to use lpdaemon, to talk to a HP Deskjet connected to my Mac
but I don't know the correct settings for a printer connected to the
printer port.  I know this is a little outside scope of this list, but
can anyone suggest the right settings (or a better contact for me)?  The
sample config file says (for a serial printer):

PRINTER <name1> SERIAL <name2> [baud stop parity bits]

<name1> is the spool queue, but <name2> is the name of the serial driver,
which I don't know, and the "[baud ...]" I wouldn't have thought I needed
for the printer port.  After all, isn't it a parallel port of some sort.
(I come from a Unix and PC background, so I don't know much about the low
level stuff of the Mac, it works so I don't normally play with it. :-))

									Frank

-- 
Frank Crawford		Email:	[email-masked]	Postal:	PMB 1
Site Systems Manager	Phone:	+61 2 9717 3015			Menai NSW 2234
ANSTO			Fax:	+61 2 9717 9273			Australia

PGP Fingerprint: (8BB1C821) 06 4F 35 82 1D D6 0E 56  9F AB B8 F7 67 AF 1A 9D