Subject: [netatalk-admins] LaserWriter (non)printing problem

From: David Mitchell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 08:53:22 -0700

Good day, netatalk admins

I've set up netatalk using 1.4b2 vanilla on my Linux 2.0.29 machine. I
am trying to print to an Apple LaserWriter IIg on the net. Per Werner
Eugster's HOWTO the /etc/printcap looks like this:

lp|Ludwig:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/ludwig:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :pl#63:pw#85:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:sf:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :if=/usr/local/bin/myif:\
        :of=/usr/local/atalk/etc/filters/ofpap: 

I have created /var/spool/ludwig and set permissions, again per the
HOWTO. I can print using /usr/local/atalk/bin/pap, but when I try with
lpr I get no output and the following in /var/log/messages:

Jul 20 08:38:28 kittiwake (Worker - Print)[2376]: lp: Print_open:
printer 'lp' missing Lp_device value

I have a feeling this is less a netatalk problem than a printcap
problem, but I'm stumped. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks for your time.

David Mitchell