Subject: [netatalk-admins] configuring bsd to run netatalk

From: Alex Knowles <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 12:15:27 -0000

hi, this is my first post, and i'm sorry if it's a really pathetic problem!
I've read the faq and the man pages etc.  but i still don't understand how
to set up netatalk on a freebsd (3.0) machine, i've recompiled the kernel to
include options netatalk, and that seems to be quite happy, I then installed
netatalk from the ports collection.  However I am having some trouble
setting up the network card to have a atalk entry using the ifconfig
command.  (at least i think this is the problem!).  
I would like to know how to set up my device (fxp0) in the rc.conf file, so
the /etc/usr/local/rc.d/netatalk.sh file can work.
Sorry again, and thanks in advance.
alex

---

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 14:54:53 +0100

> Sorry again, and thanks in advance.

This should work out of the box.

Add options NETATALK to your kernel file.
biuld and install the kernel
make and install the port
reboot.

This should be it. No ifconfig is necessary.

What does netatalk say when you try to run the startscript?

BTW, are you using the asun or the 1.4b port?

/Palle