Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Talking to HP Deckjet printer

From: Michael Zuelsdorff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 00:54:14 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

On 12-Jan-98 Nicolai Langfeldt wrote:
>Michael Zuelsdorff <[email-masked]> tastet:
>> I got the HP-GL code from Ghostscript 5.03 using the "djet500" driver,
>> but there are other ones, too (have a look with "gs -h").
>> So far, I tried no multicoloured monster jobs, but some man pages
>> and graphics which look really nice.
>
>That's a misunderstanding.  It produces PCL.
>
>Nicolai

hmm, really ?!? But - somehow - it _prints_! :-))

Anyway, it's always good to know there are experts listening to this
group. Here is my question: What can I do, if there is more than one
Deskwriter or Imagewriter connected to the Localtalk segment ? Do you
know about utilities to rename these kind of printers, and will they
remember when turned off/on ?

Best regards

michael

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 16:56:49 -0800 (PST)

> hmm, really ?!? But - somehow - it _prints_! :-))

Bedause the printer wants pcl. :-) (pcl is, AFAIK, an outgrowth of HP-GL)

> remember when turned off/on ?

I'm not sure if they automatically remember their names, but if their name
is in use, they generate an incrimental name (like Deskwriter becomes
Deskwriter 2).

The printers should have come with a little mac utility to change the
printer names. It should also be in the drivers at the HP web site. If you
don't have a MacOS box, I'm not sure what to tell you. 

Take care,

Bill