Subject: [netatalk-admins] user logins under solaris 2.5.1

From: Lone Deranger <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 10:56:20 -0500

Okay, straight away, I'm aware that this is in the FAQ. :)  Unfortunately,
the FAQ's advice appears not to have helped.

I've compiled netatalk 1.4b2 under Solaris 2.5.1.  It compiled and 
installed pretty cleanly.  I can see the Solaris box in the chooser,
and "guest" can log in.  Unfortunately, actual users cannot.

I've tried both with and without -DSHADOWPW in etc/afpd/Makefile,
and this seems to make no difference.  There is an /etc/shells file,
and I've double-checked that the users' shells are in it.  I built
netatalk with the "solarisagain.diff" patch.

There are no password-related errors at all in syslog, although I did
get the following interesting tidbit at the time that I de-installed
one build of the driver and installed a new one:

Feb 25 22:24:02 dummy atalkd[21682]: route: 43 -> 23.123: No such file or directory
Feb 25 22:24:02 dummy atalkd[21682]: as_down remove le0 23.2 failed: No such file or directory

FWIW, the solaris box in question is an NIS client, getting its NIS
maps from an NIS master running SunOS 4.1.4.

Any insights would be appreciated!

-Nathan J. Mehl
 [email-masked]

------------------------------------------------------<[email-masked]>
Like an exterminator running low on dust, I'm /
bug-powder itchin' and I can't be trusted.             (--Bomb The Bass)
<http://www.blank.org/memory/>------------------------------------------

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 11:33:46 +0100

> Any insights would be appreciated!

Please check the existence and permissions of the corresponding
AppleVolumes files (AppleVolumes.system, AppleVolumes.default). [Is this
in the FAQ?] Alternatively (if you don't want system-wide defaults) You
might want to try to go only with .AppleVolumes in the users' home
directories, but I don't see any reason for doing that.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]