Subject: [netatalk-admins] 1.4b2+OS8 patch & file assist sync/Trash Problem

From: Tan Chee Weei <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 19:19:08 +0900

Most of the problems encountered have been attributed to the bug in afpd
with regards to the Trash problem as described by [email-masked] in this list
in March.  Have been able to eliminate the disk -50 problem which it seems
is a direct consequence of not being able to remove a file/folder to a shared
Trash.  

File Assistant still doesn't behave correctly though in certain instances when
a file that was just synchronised is immediately examined again (although
it should not require synchronising to begin with)  This is repeated on every pass,
without fail.  It is only the case when synchronising the folder in which the
file resides in.  Direct synchronisation of the file only works correctly by
just examining and reporting that it is synchronised.  Do not know if the fact that
the file begins with a numeral is a reason for its strange behaviour.  It also
seems as if file lists are ordered differently between those on the server and
a local disk (not sure if that is how things work but it seems to suggest it if
in fact a kind of list is utilised in determining files to sync).

Is there a proper fix to netatalk to resolve the shared Trash Problem?  It
seems like a rather major problem that needs fixing.  

CW

---

From: Michael M Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 09:37:24 -0700

Previously...
>it should not require synchronising to begin with)  This is repeated on every 
>just examining and reporting that it is synchronised.  Do not know if the fact
>a local disk (not sure if that is how things work but it seems to suggest it i

This sounds like a problem with persistent DIDs. Mac filesystems
provide a unique number to every folder it creates, called the
Directory ID. Between sessions (connections to a netatalk server),
these DIDs are not guaranteed to match previous assignments. This is
because DIDs are assigned randomly by netatalk because assigning them
permanently in the manner Macs expect is rather hairy.

In any event, attempts to locate a folder in MacOS (if I understand
the situation properly) are often done according to DID; this is to be
able to find moved folders and to help aliases resolve even if things
move around. This may explain why File Assistant can find individual
files but not directories.

Persistent DID assignment is a much-anticipated feature in asun's next
release, which I believe is going under the moniker
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0.

>seems like a rather major problem that needs fixing.  

It seems there may have been a patch or some suggestions in the thread
from a few months back about network trash... something about creating
the trash folders in advance, setting the perms correctly and that
kind of thing... I'm real foggy on the details though.

Not a very satisfying reply, I'll admit.
_________
mike ([email-masked])
I will not grease the monkey bars
 - The collected wisdom of Bart Simpson