Subject: [netatalk-admins] Slow connection

From: Oliver Grass <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 16:49:32 +0200 (CEST)

Hi folks,

i posted such a message some month ago, but there was nothing which helped
me. I recently bought a new Harddisk, so that the hardware of my
RedHat-Linux Server (release 5.1) is as follows:
Asus TX-97E, 32 MB EDO-RAM, IBM DHEA-38451 UDMA-2 Harddisk, SMC Ultra
Ethernet-Card and a very old grafik adapter.

I'm using Netatalk pre-asun2.1.0-10a and Samba-1.9.18p10.

When accessing the Linux-Server from the Windows95-machine, there is no
significant difference between opening/saving a file on the local, namely
the Win95-, machine, and the Linux-Server.
On the other side, when we try to open a file over Appletalk over IP,
from the PowerMac (9500/120, MacOS 8.1 with 160 MB RAM) a file with size
of 600 KB takes at least 1 Minute to open. 

Printing is also a serious problem. Okay i haven't tested it so far with
the pre-asun2.1.0-10a, but with the netatalk1.4b2+asun2.0a18, it took
about 2 minutes to print a file from the PowerMac. Three weeks ago the
Linux-Server stopped printing from the PowerMac. Sending files to the
Server didn't worked anymore. The last file which worked took about 10
minutes to print. After that nothing happend, it seemed that no data
arrived at the linux-box. In the print-queue there were no jobs from the
Mac, so i really had no idea what happened...

Is that a problem someone had before?? And where are the options, which
enable a fast and secure transmission between the PowerMac and the
Linux-Server???? I hope someone can help me...

Regards
Oliver

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Oliver Graß				       	                      |
| Freiheitsplatz 10     E-mail: [email-masked]           |
| 68199 Mannheim        WWW: http://webrum.uni-mannheim.de/math/grass |

---

From: Michael Zuelsdorff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 19:39:26 +0200

>of 600 KB takes at least 1 Minute to open. 
Hm, I did not follow this thread and I´m not quite sure how to interpret your
description. 
1.)Is it especially AppleShare IP running that slow or is there a 
general netatalk communication problem?
2.)Have you ever tried other programs (like FTP for example) to transfer
data to your linux box to compare transfer rates ?
3.)Additionally you can check speed with the Helios "lantest" program
from www.helios.de
3.) Is your Open Transport up-to-date? And what Appleshare client are you
using. ? With Mac OS 8.1 you should get yourself AppleShare 3.8.0. I´m
not quite sure, but I think 3.7.4 and 3.7.2 are somehow timing-critical.

Best regards

Michael