Subject: [netatalk-admins] AFS volume size problem

From: Doreen Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 16:00:56 -0700

I'm running netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 on a linux box with RedHat 4.2.
We've set up kerberized logins via appletalk, and are stuck like
others on the problem of kerberized logins via AppletalkIP.  In addition,
I'm interested in accessing AFS volumes from my mac via netatalk.

AFS notoriously does not report volume sizes correctly via a unix
command such as df.  For example, the afs partition reported on the
linux box via df shows 9000000 1024K blocks available, and 0 blocks
used.  Here is my problem:
>From a mac running MacOS7.5.5, my home directory, located in
AFS space and accessed via netatalk, shows "94.8 Mbytes available, and 159
Mbytes on disk", and I can write to the volume.
>From a mac running MacOS8.1, the same
home directory, accessed via netatalk, shows "5 items, -available",
and clicking on "Get Info", the system reports:  capacity 0K,
available 0, used 4,294,973,887 GB on disk (4,611,693,095,493,303,040
bytes).  I cannot write to my home directory because according to
the MacOS, no space is available.  I am not expecting AFS to report
volume sizes correctly.  However, I am looking for a way in which
a Mac running OS8 or 8.1 can consistently receive a number that it can
interpret so that I can write to the volume.
Any ideas on what I can do about this problem would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Doreen Meyer
University of California, Davis
Distributed Computing Analysis and Support

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 22:12:27 -0400

> From:    Doreen Meyer <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> I'm interested in accessing AFS volumes from my mac via netatalk.

See INSTALL/README.AFS.  If you build afpd to know about AFS, it will
get the volume sizes correct(-ish).

:wes