Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk companion software announcement

From: Ethan Gold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 21:18:45 -0700

Greetings. I'm announcing the first alpha/beta release of a network browser
tool styled after the Macintosh Chooser. Tkchooser2 supports appletalk via
netatalk and will hopefully soon support SMB via samba.
I'd like to get an idea of how much interest there is in such a tool and if
there is any interest in writing additional plugins.
If you have any questions, suggestions or whatever, please email me.
The URL for the tkchooser web page is:
http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~etgold/chooser.html

>From the README:

Description:
------------
Tkchooser(2) is an interpreted, modular, extensible
network browsing utility for Xwindows designed after
the Macintosh Chooser.

Motivation:
-----------
There is no decent network browser for unix that I'm aware of.
MacOS and Windoze both have reasonable interfaces to their
respective LAN protocols. Unix increasingly has to live alongside
Windoze and MacOS PC's and access their resources - especially if
you are living in Linuxland. So I decided to model tkchooser after
the macintosh chooser and give it multiple protocol capabilities.
The idea is that thru a modular interface both Appletalk, SMB, and
other (IPX?, IP?) protocols can be supported by reloadable modules.
Functionality is provided by plugins which implement specific
types of network operations such as mounting shared volumes, printing
to shared printers, etc. Additionally, this interface could be used
to set defaults for other tools as well. The tie between the plugins
and the network modules is somewhat arbitrary. Plugins can register
themselves with multiple protocols. In fact, the protocols do not even
need to be network modules.

 ---------------------------------------------------
| Ethan Gold, Vassar College class of '97           |
| http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~etgold/                 |
|---------------------------------------------------|
| UGS Research Assistant                            |
| Nonproliferation and International Security       |
| Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM    |
 ---------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 08:03:24 +0200 (SAT)

very nice idea, i especially like the idea of porting broadcast (something
i need desperately when i want to down my server). Now the trick is: how
do you run it?

____________________________________________________________
John Ostrowick
[email-masked], +27 11 716-3783
Computer Science Department, University of the Witwatersrand   
Web site, ftp site and listserv all available at: 
http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/