Subject: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk/Samba question

From: JOSEPH M BARBEY <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Apr 1998 00:20:41 GMT

I've seen some stuff of late about getting netatalk to behave with Samba,
or vice versa.  I've been thinking aobut it, and am wondering:  Is there
some way to get netatalk to save files similar to the Macbinary files that
are created with Mac ftp?  It seems it wouldn't be very hard for netatalk
to translate it quickly, and also wouldn't be very hard for Samba to be
able to translate them as well.  Comments...?

*******************************************************************
*  Joseph Barbey            *  [email-masked]           *
*  UW - River Falls         *  http://www.uwrf.edu/~jb0w/         *
*******************************************************************
*       There is no god higher than truth. - Mahatma Gandhi       *
*             There is no truth higher than God. - me             *
*******************************************************************

---

From: Jon Torrez <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 22:08:51 -0500 (CDT)

On 29 Apr 1998, JOSEPH M BARBEY wrote:

<WWW>I've seen some stuff of late about getting netatalk to behave with Samba,
<WWW>or vice versa.  I've been thinking aobut it, and am wondering:  Is there
<WWW>some way to get netatalk to save files similar to the Macbinary files that
<WWW>are created with Mac ftp?  It seems it wouldn't be very hard for netatalk
<WWW>to translate it quickly, and also wouldn't be very hard for Samba to be
<WWW>able to translate them as well.  Comments...?
<WWW>

	I must be missing something here :), I have been using Netatalk
1.42b for quite some time with the latest versin of Samba and have had
_no_ problems (except a few little ownership problems but thats eaily
fixed with a script). is there something I should be looking for? doing?

fyi: I am only serving text files and image formats...

+--------
| Jon Torrez
| Systems Administrator - WWWebServers, Inc. 
| http://www.wwwebservers.com / [email-masked]
+----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JOSEPH M BARBEY <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Apr 1998 03:42:37 GMT

Jon Torrez <[email-masked]> wrote:
: On 29 Apr 1998, JOSEPH M BARBEY wrote:

: <WWW>I've seen some stuff of late about getting netatalk to behave with Samba,
: <WWW>or vice versa.  I've been thinking aobut it, and am wondering:  Is there
: <WWW>some way to get netatalk to save files similar to the Macbinary files that
: <WWW>are created with Mac ftp?  It seems it wouldn't be very hard for netatalk
: <WWW>to translate it quickly, and also wouldn't be very hard for Samba to be
: <WWW>able to translate them as well.  Comments...?

: 	I must be missing something here :), I have been using Netatalk
: 1.42b for quite some time with the latest versin of Samba and have had
: _no_ problems (except a few little ownership problems but thats eaily
: fixed with a script). is there something I should be looking for? doing?

: fyi: I am only serving text files and image formats...

I'm asking about this because the system I have set up as my netatalk is
also used as our general unix machine, and will soon be used as a samba
server.  It would be nice to be able to save files, specifically macbinary
downloads, to the server from school, and then download them from home
using Fetch.  As things are now, I would have to download both parts to my
linux box at home, then start up the mac.  In summary, it would nice to be
able to look at a file with Appletalk, FTP, and SMP without having
problems.  Macbinaries seems to me the best way to do this, at the moment.
It seems the above idea would also take care of the LF/CR translation that
seems to cause problems.

---

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Apr 1998 10:58:05 +0300

> able to translate them as well.  Comments...?

However, it would be extremely difficult to make Emacs, Apache, VI,
and so on understand that for some files, they're supposed to try to
decode Macbinary to extract the text file within.. So you couldn't use
Netatalk to export the web server's directory tree for example.

-- 
Grab them by the balls -- the hearts and minds will follow.
Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>