Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Atalk over TCP/IP only?

From: [email-masked] (Georg Schwarz)
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 00:15:33 +0200

> trying to setup "throw-away" end-user servers? Fetch is a pretty nice
> piece of software... But, for a supported platform, you can run
I'm thinking of setting up an AppleTalk server on a Sun that is in a
different ethernet subnet than the clients. Since I couldn't use
Ethertalk anyway it would be much of wasted hassle to include AppleTalk
support in the Sun kernel.

> IP-only afpds. You need not properly install AppleTalk support. You do
> have to compile the code though.

that means for IP-only afpds I don't need to install the AppleTalk
options for the Kernel?

> 
> If you're looking to AppleShare from non-supported platforms like SGI
> Irix or HP-UX, look at CAP patchlevel 199 w/ ASIP patches. CAP's a

I know.

> hassle because it's a nuisance to put together all the patches, but it
> runs on more platforms and may be able to let you do what you're
> trying to do. Note that numerous aspects of CAP and netatalk are
> wholly incompatible (like resource fork storage). Also, CAP seems to
> have died. There hasn't been an update for over a year. But what I
> describe above does seem to work according to reports I've read.

for the reasons you mentioned I'd prefer to run Netatalk.

-- 
Georg Schwarz     [email-masked], [email-masked]
Institut für Theoretische Physik       +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universität Berlin        http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:36:58 +0200

> support in the Sun kernel.

Although I haven't do any research in this direction, wouldn't an afpd
compiled normally (with the AppleTalk kernel header files present)
simply fail at binding to the DDP (AppleTalk) port, and go on with the
TCP one (this is even more probable to happen when afpd is configured to
use only TCP/IP)?

In this scenario, although You would need the headers for compiling, You
don't actually had to install the AppleTalk support in the kernel.

(Note, that I am only familiar with Linux and a bit with AIX, but not
with Solaris.)

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]