Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk server disappears

From: Usenet gateway account <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 19:50:11 GMT

I have a Linux box running netatalk for about 2 years without major
problems until our Macs go upgraded to System 8. Then I upgraded to
netatalk to 1.4b2 three months ago. It ran without problem till yesterday.

Yesterday, the Linux box suddenly disappeared from the Macs' Choosers.
After some investigation, I found that the Linux box can see another
Linux box running netatalk, and two NT boxes; the Macs can see the
other Linux box (which is not a server) and the two NT boxes, but can't
see the Linux box which is supposed to be a server.

Has anyone seen this kind of thing?

--
Ambrose C. Li / +1 416 321 0088 / Ming Pao Newspapers (Canada) Ltd.
EDP department / All views expressed here are my own; they may or
may not represent the views of my employer.

---

From: Patrick Herzog <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 11:21:55 +0000

> other Linux box (which is not a server)

Well, it _IS_ a server or else you would not see it :-)

> and the two NT boxes, but can't

We had such problems when an additional server was misconfigured so that any of
the information in the appletalk network conflicted with another.
Has someone been fiddling around with the configuration? NT ? conflicting names?
Seed information ?

Have you tried restarting the server?

Patrick

--
Dr.-Ing. Patrick Herzog
-- Oberingenieur --
RWTH Aachen
Institut für Technische Elektronik
Sommerfeldstraße 24
D-52056 Aachen, Germany
http://www.ite.rwth-aachen.de

---

From: "Ambrose Li [EDP]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:22:07 -0400

> Have you tried restarting the server?

Thanks for the reply. I found the answer on the linux-atalk list: it would seem
to be a problem in a Linux network driver. "ifconfig eth0 allmulti" fixed it (so
to speak).

I did try restarting the server. I felt really baffled by the situation because
precisely nothing (in terms of configuration of Appletalk-capable machines) had
changed within a few hours the incident occurred.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 17:24:25 -0300

hi!

I need to be able to access a Mac disk on a real Mac from a machine running
Unix over the net. 

I know this has been asked before - anyone found a decent solution?

-- 
 Michael 'Moose' Dinn, Twisted Pair Network Consulting Incorporated
 [email-masked] // 902 423 4700 (voice) // 902 423 3661 (fax)

 "Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and
  holds the universe together."

---

From: Nicholas Riley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 17:42:55 -0400 (EDT)

> I know this has been asked before - anyone found a decent solution?

Depends on how you want to access it. Since there isn't (afaik) any AFP
client for unix, AppleShare is out of the question. You could run a FTP
server on the Mac, that's an easy solution; also, you could use Samba or a
similar program to mount a Mac volume shared with DAVE (www.thursby.com).

--
Nicholas Riley <[email-masked]>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 17:24:25 -0300

hi!

---

From: Mark Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:16:26 -0500

> I need to be able to access a Mac disk on a real Mac from a machine running

Well, it kinda depends what you mean by 'Unix'.  'Unix' is kinda like
'Kleenex' : it could mean the specific brand, but it has also taken on the
meaning of facial tissue in general.  There is actually a 'Unix' out there
(put out by SCO, I believe) which I have no experience with.  

However, if your 'Unix' is, in fact, Linux, there is an afp file system
patchset out.  Look to http://www.odyssey.co.il/~heksterb/Software/afpfs
(lifted gratituously from the netatalk home page).

Other than that, I know that Xinet's K-AShare products come with the
ability to mount AFP volumes for Irix (the 'Unix' on SGI's), at least.

Hope this helps,
--Mark Donnelly