Subject: [netatalk-admins] File creation problems

From: John Sutton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 12:01:19 +0000

Hi

I'm running 1.4b2+asun17.  Two problems, both I think related to file creation:

1) When I create a new file from ClarisWorks v5 on the netatalk volume
(i.e., do a Save directly onto the volume), it appears to work but in fact
has created a zero length file.  More alarming still, when you look in the
Finder, the file appears to have a length which is neither zero nor the true
length which the file should be!  If I then save the file onto the local
volume and copy it over onto the netatalk volume (thus overwriting the
zero-length file), subsequent Opens and Saves from ClarisWorks are fine.

I remember mention of similar problems with ClarisWorks on this list (or
LINUX-ATALK, I don't remember) some time back, but I think these problems
were related to large disks?  In my case, the netatalk volume is on a real
tiddler (106Mb disk) so I don't think this is the same problem.

2) I run Eudora on the Mac with the In and Out mailboxes on the netatalk
drive.  This works fine until the mailboxes are "large" (maybe half a meg)
and I attempt to Compact them (i.e. rewrite the mailbox with the deleted
messages removed).  This operation has indeterminate results!  The common
feature of such attempts is that Eudora considers that the "wasted space" in
the mailbox (i.e. that occupied by deleted messages and which should be zero
after a Compact) is now _negative_!  Subsequent attempts to open a message
in the compacted mailbox usually sends Eudora into spasm...

Any ideas?
TIA
John

***************************************************
John Sutton
SCL Computer Services
URL http://www.scl.co.uk/
Tel. +44 (0) 1239 621021
***************************************************