Subject: [netatalk-admins] Bytelock?

From: Jonathan Benson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 11:19:28 +1000

I'm getting a LOT of lines in my log of the following sort of thing:
May 11 09:01:32 primus afpd[22769]: byte lock: BM JUL '97 - JUN '98.XLS:
0
May 11 09:01:32 primus afpd[22769]: byte lock: BM JUL '97 - JUN '98.XLS:
0
May 11 09:01:32 primus afpd[22769]: byte lock: BM JUL '97 - JUN '98.XLS:
1
May 11 09:01:32 primus afpd[22769]: byte lock: BM JUL '97 - JUN '98.XLS:
0
May 11 09:01:32 primus afpd[22769]: byte lock: BM JUL '97 - JUN '98.XLS:
1
May 11 09:01:32 primus afpd[22769]: byte lock: BM JUL '97 - JUN '98.XLS:
0
May 11 09:01:32 primus afpd[22769]: byte lock: BM JUL '97 - JUN '98.XLS:
1
May 11 09:01:32 primus afpd[22769]: byte lock: BM JUL '97 - JUN '98.XLS:
0
May 11 09:01:32 primus afpd[22769]: byte lock: BM JUL '97 - JUN '98.XLS:
1

Should I be worried?

BTW  I am running RedHat 5.0 and have the
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-oa1.i386.rpm installed.

I am still getting the occasional corrupt Excel files on the server
(currently happening almost daily for some reason) that I have been
unable to track the source of and thought these messages may have
something to do with it.

Please DO NOT suggest that I check the CR/LF settings.  If they were
wrong it would botch every file.

Often it is just a corrupted header to the file and can be fixed with a
nice hex editor and a cut/paste from a backup, but occasionally it is
worse and since backup tapes can run out of room, etc. I don't always
have a backup of the previous days work handy.

This is REALLY starting to get annoying as I have little option of what
to use as I need this share to be accesible from the Mac and PCs.  :-(
I'm now hoping it is the one particular users Mac that is the problem.

Thanks for ANY help,
                                   Jonathan

---

From: Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 May 1998 14:46:45 +0300

> May 11 09:01:32 primus afpd[22769]: byte lock: BM JUL '97 - JUN '98.XLS:

Nah, they're debug messages that seem to be left on in the base source
I used to build the RPM in question. Problem is, they're appearing
under the wrong category/level (secure instead of debug) because of
clashes with the PAM logging. I've meant to dig in and fix it, but
other things keep me busy..

> (currently happening almost daily for some reason) that I have been

Hmm. This I can't comment on, our server is mostly used to share
graphics (photoshop, gif, jpeg) and html, as far as I know, none of
our Mac users use Excel. Perhaps there is a bug in the byte locking
functions, or maybe you're experiencing something else.

-- 
Admiration: Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves.
Osma Ahvenlampi <[email-masked]>