Subject: [netatalk-admins] Printing question.

From: Mario Haza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 16:11:51 -0600 (CST)

I have a SPARC Linux machine with 2.0.30 kernel, netatalk 1.4b2 with no
patches.

How can i limit the users that can use or access a printer with the papd?
(another solution is wellcome).

Thanks in advance.

  Mario "Mago" Haza
  Technical Support / Research Center for Educational Computing
  e-mail: [email-masked]
          [email-masked]
  Tel. (5) 627-0210 Ext. 8530 or 8527 (Mexico City)

---

From: Scott Venier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 16:41:38 -0500 (EST)

I've asked the same question before in the past, and the general agreemet
was that there is nothing that can be done about it.

If someone know something can can be done, please share!

Scott

>   Tel. (5) 627-0210 Ext. 8530 or 8527 (Mexico City)

=====================================================================
Scott Venier                      *ResComp Network Support Technician
[email-masked]                        *Consultant for Ingematics,
[email-masked]                     a division of Compu-Aid, Inc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Brad G. Parks" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 98 16:11:29 -0600

Okay, I'll share:

Surface:  User must connect to a network volume before they can print.

Details:  I had to make some modifications to afpd as well as
papd, but it seems to be working okay so far.  (It will be
used by 30-50 machines starting next week, and even more next
fall).  Before papd allows a user to print, it looks up that
user's Appletalk address in a datafile.  If they do not have
an entry in there, it refuses the printjob.  How does the
entry get there you ask?  I'm forcing everyone to mount an
afpd volume on the same server.  (yes, they have to use
straight Appletalk instead of Appletalk over IP)