Subject: [netatalk-admins] iso-latin filenames

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 05:17:58 +0100

Hi!

I once hacked up afpd (both 1.4b and later asun's version as of jan 98)
to allow it to represent filenames using ISO-Latin characters, thus
making it more interoperable with unix and samba when using non-ascii
characters. These patches have served us well, but they won't work with
recent versions of asun's netatalk. I haven't had time to check it out
thoroughly, but from the top of my head: the patches apply fine, but the
character translation back from unix seems to be screwed up. There are
probably some new functions I have to dig into, that perhaps has to do
with very long filenames or so? 

Could someone please give me a pointer as to were in the code I shall be
looking? Also, if you have working patches, I'm interested. ;-)

I have been asked by several people over the last year to set up a
www-page with info on how to interoperate samba/unix/netatalk with
iso-latin file names, and once I get it working properly I will. I'll
keep you posted.

Regards,
Palle