Subject: [netatalk-admins] Solaris Routing problems

From: "Tom Lockwood" <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Feb 1998 15:38:31 -0500

Hello

I am attempting to troubleshoot a routing problem with
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 running under Solaris 2.5.1 on a Sparc4 with a
quad ethernet card installed (phew!). Initially I started the server with only
the interface names in the atalkd.conf file:

(comments deleted)
qe0
qe1
qe2

After launch, the file had been re-written (correctly) like this:

qe0 -phase 2 -net 100-101 -addr 100.157 -zone "Main Zone"
qe1 -phase 2 -net 102-103 -addr 102.161 -zone "Accounting"
qe2 -phase 2 -net 104-105 -addr 104.165 -zone "Demo Room"

These zones are being seeded by an Apple router that I want to shut down.
Believing everything was in order, I added the "-seed" option to each line,
and shut down the Apple router. With both machines off, I had no zones. I
started the Netatalk machine and the zones came back. Unfortunately, there
does not appear to be any real routing going on. Macs see zones, but can not
see anything outside of their own zone. Some devices did not show up at all.
I turned off every machine in the building and restarted them again to no
avail. 

I did some poking around to see what was happening and found something that
did not seem right. The afp process on the Sun was using the last -addr listed
in the atalkd.conf file, but was in the first listed zone. Even though the
afpserver was in "Main Zone" it is using a network number for "Demo Room" as
the output from nbplkup shows below.

                    FileServer:AFPServer                          104.165:128
                     FileServer:netatalk                           104.165:4
                     FileServer:Workstation                        104.165:4

If I am not mistaken, shouldn't this server be running as:
                    FileServer:AFPServer                          100.157:128
or something to that effect?  On a hunch, I rearranged the lines in
atalkd.conf as follows:

qe1 -phase 2 -net 102-103 -addr 102.161 -zone "Accounting"
qe2 -phase 2 -net 104-105 -addr 104.165 -zone "Demo Room"
qe0 -phase 2 -net 100-101 -addr 100.157 -zone "Main Zone"

That caused the file server to show up at address 100.157, but now in the Demo
Room zone. Not that it seems to be my problem. I have since compiled the
straight netatalk-1.4b2 version to see what that does. The results from
nbplkup mirror what is described above, and the server seems to work OK.
Routing however is still not happening.  

Am I missing something? 
Has anyone else used Sun's Quad ethernet card with netatalk?

Sorry for all the questions.

Tom Lockwood
Monotype Systems Incorporated
[email-masked]

---

From: "Ken McCord" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 15:21:44 -0500

Tom,

The same thing is happening to me!  I'm using RH Linux 5.0 (with 2.0.32
kernel) and netatalk-1.4b2 on a Compaq 486 with two Linksys NE2000 clones.
I was going to try the asun patch, but if you're having problems, I guess
I'll try 1.3.3.

I'll let you know what happens...

Ken