Subject: [netatalk-admins] Permissions?

From: Georg Schwarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 10:29:08 +0100 (MET)

My Netatalk installation (1.4 beta) uses permissions -rw-rw-rw-  when creating
files from a Mac on a UNIX volume. Could I reconfigure it to use -rw-------
instead?
Thanks.
-- 
Georg Schwarz                             [email-masked]
Institut für Theoretische Physik    Tel. +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130
Technische Universität Berlin          http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/
Sekr. PN 7-1, Hardenbergstr. 36, D-10623 Berlin            IRC: kuroi

---

From: Casey Bisson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 12:15:49 -0500

The permissions are set by the client to be the same as the enclosing folder. I
have had good luck instructing users to set permissions on folder they own using
the "Sharing..." window in the finder (under the file menu). MacOS only cares
about permissions on folders though....

This doesn't answer your question though, so if a more skilled admin knows how to
change the behaviour, please comment. Personally, I would like to set it so files
would inherit execute permissions even if MacOS doesn't know what to do with them.

Casey Bisson
Information Technology
Plymouth State College