Subject: [netatalk-admins] Re: afpfs

From: Brian Eric Bothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:56:41 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Vivek wrote:
> 
> Um. Linux has afpfs which allows you to mount an appleshared volume, sort
> of [there are - or were, last time I looked, lots of issues relating to
> resource forks and the like still to be resolved]. I'm not sure if any of
> the other unices can mount afp volumes. Although I suppose if you had a
> Linux box available, it could re-export the afpfs volume NFS.... [this is 
> beginning to sound like a really _really_ icky solution... ]
> 

I am having trouble getting the precompiled binary of afpfs to work on my
RH 5.0 system.  I have to us the "-f" option with insmod to get the afpfs
module to load (since it is looking for kernel 2.0.30 and I have 2.0.32)  

When I try and mount a remote share I get this error
----------------------------------------------------

[root@wtlinux:/scratch/afpfs] ./afpmount -u wtuser /mnt/ashare Wizard test
Enter the server password:
afpmount: unexpected AppleTalk error (-9)

----------------------------------------------------

I tried compiling the afpfs source but it dies complaining of parse errors
in /usr/include/linux/atalk.h

Anyone else got afpfs compiled and running on a Redhat 5.0 system?

-Brian

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 06:59:54 +0200 (SAT)

this is a common error and i get it on my version 4 system. i suggest you
ask the author, [email-masked]. he says he's no longer got a linux box
so he's been unable to fix it.

____________________________________________________________
John Ostrowick
[email-masked], +27 11 716-3783
Computer Science Department, University of the Witwatersrand   
Web site, ftp site and listserv all available at: 
http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/