Subject: [netatalk-admins] DES authentication - how do I use it ?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 14:17:00 +0100

Hello all,
     I've implemented a number of netatalk installations. For the first
time, I now want to use netatalk to provide asip services over the Internet
so I'd like to use DES authentication - can't have plaintext passwords
wandering the Internet, after all. However, I don't have libdes.a or des.h
as detailed in the Makefile. Where can I get those for Solaris 2.5 ?

Also, do I have to have something special on the Mac to support DES
passwords ? I saw mention of a special UAM for use with Kerberos and AFS
but nothing about DES.

Kindest regards,

Niall  O Broin

UNIX Network Administrator               Ground Systems Engineering
Department
European Space Operations Centre         [email-masked]
Darmstadt, Germany                 Ph./Fax  +49 6151 90 3619/2179

---

From: "Paul J. Schinder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 08:54:11 -0400

At 2:17 PM +0100 5/15/98, [email-masked] wrote:

} Hello all,
}      I've implemented a number of netatalk installations. For the first
} time, I now want to use netatalk to provide asip services over the Internet
} so I'd like to use DES authentication - can't have plaintext passwords
} wandering the Internet, after all. However, I don't have libdes.a or des.h
} as detailed in the Makefile. Where can I get those for Solaris 2.5 ?

The instructions on how to install DES also tell you where to get the
library.  I don't remember now, somewhere in Australia, I believe.  Look in
README.ASUN.

}
} Also, do I have to have something special on the Mac to support DES
} passwords ? I saw mention of a special UAM for use with Kerberos and AFS
} but nothing about DES.

No.  Once it's installed, the Chooser will automatically use it.

}
}
} Kindest regards,
}
}
} Niall  O Broin
}
} UNIX Network Administrator               Ground Systems Engineering
} Department
} European Space Operations Centre         [email-masked]
} Darmstadt, Germany                 Ph./Fax  +49 6151 90 3619/2179

---
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Code 693, Greenbelt, MD 20771
[email-masked]

---

From: Benny Simon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 09:04:56 -0400 (EDT)

I'm right on the edge here of having to downgrade about 50 macs to
system 7.6 because of problems with netatalk and MacOS8 and 8.1 and I'm
hoping someone can clue me into something that I've missed.  Drives seem
to mount ok and are usable from the finder, but most applications have a
heck of a time loading and saving files off the mounted volumes.  Response
from the server gets slower and slower and finally the machine crashes. 
	As soon as I try from a Mac running system 7.6 or 7.5.5, the
problem goes away.  Any ideas?

-- Benny Simon ([email-masked])
   http://cartouche.syr.edu

---

From: Wes Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 08:37:27 -0400 (EDT)

>From what I have been reading on the Apple Developer's webpages, Apple is
not going to continue with third party UAM development.

This is on my list of complaints for the Bash Apple session at MacHack in a
month.

Wes
--- 
Wes Brown
[email-masked]		[email-masked]
http://prozac.cwru.edu/wes/About.me.html
KB8TGR