Subject: [netatalk-admins] Appleshare IP on s l o w connection

From: "Frank Morton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 18:52:19 -0500

I am having a timeout problem on a mac that is trying
to access an asun appleshare ip server through a
modem connection. Don't say the obvious and wonder
why someone would do such a thing. Customer's take
us strange places.

Is there a way to make the mac more "patient" by lengthing
a timeout setting? Any other ideas. We have great luck
ISDN on up in speed, but this dialup connection has us
out of ideas to make the connection.

Thanks.

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:06:41 +1000

Frank Morton said in [netatalk-admins] Appleshare IP on s l o w connection at 
30/Oct/1998 (Fri) 09:52:19.

> out of ideas to make the connection.

But of course - Apple has made a tool to configure almost all of the 
timeouts, cache settings, number of buffers, and greeting/server alert 
messages in the modern ASIP clients (3.7.2 and higher).  It's called 
Appleshare Client Setup, and is available from apple at: 
http://appleshareip.apple.com/... the direct download url is (are you ready 
for this? :) )

ftp://ftp1.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-
North_American/Macintosh/Misc/AppleShare_Client_Setup.smi.bin

An abstract:

Name:          AppleShare Client Setup

Version:       1.0

Released:      May 4, 1998

Requires:      System 7.0 or higher

Description:
AppleShare Client Setup is a utility for customizing the AppleShare Client.
This utility is loosely based on Jim Luther's AppleShare Setup Control
Panel. It is built with PowerPlant(TM) and uses the GrayScale Appearance
classes. It is intended for both the site administrator and the power user.
To configure the currently installed client, just open AppleShare Client
Setup. To configure other clients, either select them using the Open
command from the File menu or drag them onto the AppleShare Client Setup
icon.

Instructions:
This software consists of a Disk Copy NDIF (New Disk Image Format)
self-mounting compressed image. Download this software to your hard drive
and then double-click it to use it.

SUPPORT NOT PROVIDED
This version of AppleShare Client Setup is provided as a convenience. 
Technical support is NOT available for users of this software.

---------------

Somebody PLEASE put this into a FAQ for netatalk-asun!!!! :)  Adrian?! :)   

=R=