Subject: [netatalk-admins] papd problem

From: KHS system administrator <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 12:28:08 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I have a problem printing to papd from Macs.  I can print using pap
from other BSD machines but not from the Macs.  The only diagnostics I
can find come from /var/log/lpd-errs.  When printing with pap I see:

papd[1568]: child 2572 for "3rd floor printer" from 3.145
papd[2572]: lp_print queued
papd[1568]: child 2572 done

but when I try from a Mac I see:

papd[1568]: child 2575 for "3rd floor printer" from 3.22
papd[2575]: connection timed out
papd[1568]: child 2575 exited with 1

Particulars:

Netatalk 1.4b2
FreeBSD 2.2.6
MacOS 7.5
Laserwriter Select 360

Also all routing and file services seem to work fine.  The printer
shows up in Chooser and the job seems to be sent to papd (because a
child process is spawned).  It seems that papd can spool jobs from pap
but not those from Macs.  Any suggestions?

Al Carruth
[email-masked]