Subject: [netatalk-admins] extra pages when printing..

From: Pat Trainor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:21:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hi admins..

	I guess the first question would be what affect does a win95
captured atalk printer have when served from a sun as a samba share?
Ocassionally I get a stream of test pages from a tektronix 220i for no
good reason. We're not talking win95 test pages, I mean the tek one (like
when you first power-up).

	Secondly, when printing from a win95 machine to an appletalk
printer through a sparc using samba/netatalk I get a few extra pages after
the initial successful printing.. Can this be elliminated?

	Additionally, my win95 users want to knopw how they can check the
status of a print job once sent to the spooler (like a directly connected
IP/netbui printer would).. Looking in man smb.conf it appears that:

       Default:
               depends on the setting of "printing ="

       Example:
            lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq %p

	..but this isn't actually good.. In fact, with svr4 sun, the lpq
command is:

/usr/ucb/lpq -P destination 

	so... I guess I'll put in the (S) printers section:

/usr/ucb/lpq -P %p  (???)

	Any help along these lines appreciated.. The systems aren't down,
this is just polish..

pat 	
:)

Pat Trainor
System Administration - BBN Technologies
[email-masked] - key: www.title14.com/pgp/pat.key
..will program for boat

---

From: "Brian E. Bothwell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:18:59 -0500 (EST)

> the initial successful printing.. Can this be elliminated?

This is most likely due to the fact that all MS OS's send an extra CTRL-D
at the end of a page by default.  This option can be turned off in the
Win95 printer Postscript options.

-brian