Subject: [netatalk-admins] can log in only as guest (no shadowpasswd!)

From: Rob Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 20:07:57 -0700

Hi, I have just installed netatalk, and I am having the "can log in as
guest, but not as user" problem, but with a twist:  I am not using
shadow passwords.  The symptoms are:  (1) if I try and login w/ bogus
username/passwd I get a "Sorry, your password is incorrect.  Please
reenter it." dialog.  (2)  If I try and login with a real username, but
bogus or real passwd, I get a "The connection to this server has been
unexpectedly broken" dialog.

If it matters, I am using cleartext password exchange.

-- 
----------------------
Rob Clark
Dot Wireless, Inc.
(619)678-0889 x2028
[email-masked]
----------------------

---

From: Rob Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 16:03:56 -0700

Kadinger Andras wrote:
> 
> Hello Rob,
> 
> On Fri, 23 Oct 1998, Rob Clark wrote:
> 
> > David S. wrote:
> > The shell that I use, /usr/bash, is in /etc/shells.  (I did check the
> > faq before turning to the mailing list for help.)
> 
> Hmm, /usr/bash is a rather interesting pathname for a shell...

Opps, I meant to type "/bin/bash".

> > Where does netatalk log errors too?  If I could see some error messages
> > from the linux side, it might make it easier to figure out what is going
> > on.
> 
> Hmm, there is a generic logging mechanism in most current versions of
> unix, called syslog. You might want to try man syslog or man sysklogd to
> get more info. The config file is usually /etc/syslog.conf.
> 
> Hope, this helps,
> 
> Sincerely,
> Andras Kadinger
> [email-masked]

When I try to connect as a user (from the chooser, MacOS v8.1) I get (in
/var/log/messages):

  Oct 23 22:58:25 ns afpd[19488]: ASIP session:548(2) from
10.6.0.185:2049(0)
  Oct 23 22:58:25 ns afpd[18436]: server_child[1] 19488 exited 1

When I connect as guest, I get:

  Oct 23 23:07:27 ns afpd[19578]: ASIP session:548(2) from
10.6.0.185:2051(0)
  Oct 23 23:07:27 ns afpd[19578]: login noauth

This doesn't tell me much.  Why does the server_child exit when I try to
connect as a user?  Is there a way to start afpd so that it will log
some debugging info?

Are there any other ways that I should be trying to debug this?  

Thanks for your help

-- 
----------------------
Rob Clark
Dot Wireless, Inc.
(619)678-0889 x2028
[email-masked]
----------------------

---

From: Tom Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 98 19:50:36 -0500

Rob,

I'd guess (next time provide the details, please) that you're using the 
Red Hat Netatalk+asun 2.0-5 RPM. That's the same behavior that everybody 
seems to get with it. I backed up to the 2.0 a18 build and it works fine. 
There's a brand new release (2.1) on A Sun's ftp site, but you'll have to 
make and install it the hard(er) way.

Tom