Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk for DEC OSF1?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 14:09:28 +0100

Hi,

is there anyone who has a port of netatalk to DEC's OSF1 (or Digital Unix) ?
Is there a chance to compile the Ultrix-version on OSF1?

Thanks in advance

Michael Berghaus

---

From: Casey Bisson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 1998 11:16:46 -0500

If you want to buy a source license for Digital UInix, you could probobly port
the kernel patches from FreeBSD to support it.

Helios (www.helios.com) has a product called EtherShare which appears to be a
commercial clone of netatalk that ships with the kernel patches for DEC Unix.

They offer 30 demos of their software if a more experienced programmer is
interested in seeing what they do before attempting to port netatalk to DEC
Unix. But I guess any organization that can afford to buy Alpha Servers can
also afford to buy Helios' EtherShare (at $thousands per node). Or you can use
a FreeBSD box to run netatalk and NFS your data from the DEC box (what I ended
up doing).

enjoy,

Casey Bisson
Information Technology
Plymouth State College