Subject: [netatalk-admins] Password Autentication

From: Gaetano Bellanca <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 19:53:42 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to install netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2 on a linux (2.0.33 kernel in
Pentium II - slackware distribution).

I'm having problem in connecting like a user (guest account is O.K.).

/etc/shells file is O.K. with my shell (tcsh).

I have commented all things related to des, tcpwrapper PAM etc ... in the
makefiles (it didn't work also using des library).

I don't understand what to do in README.LINUX file (points 4 and 5 in particular).

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance.

Gaetano 
-- 

                     ___[_____]___
                        (.) (.)
                          (_)
--------------------o00O-------O00o-------------------

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Gaetano Bellanca                                                    |
| D.E.I.S. - Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informatica e Sistemistica. |
| University of Bologna.                                              |
| Viale Risorgimento, 2 - 40136 - Bologna - ITALY                     | 
|                                                                     |
| Phone  :  +39 51 6443060                                            |
| Fax    :  +39 51 6443073                                            |
|                                                                     |
| mailto:[email-masked]      URL:http://www.deis.unibo.it    | 
|                                                                     |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Tom Arseneault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:51:15 -0800 (PST)

I had a similar problem. My solution turned out to be the Shells but if
finding this I noticed a number of solution for linux. One of them is to
edit the auth.c file in etc/afpd; change the lines:

#ifdef SOLARIS
#define SHADOWPW
#endif SOLARIS

to

/*#ifdef SOLARIS*/
#define SHADOWPW
/*#endif SOLARIS*/

So that SHADOWPW is always defind. Assuming you are using shadow passwords
this may help.

Tom