Subject: [netatalk-admins] afp problem

From: "Paul M. Fleming" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 15:58:54 -0600 (CST)

First, I've been using Netatalk for several years and currently use it in a
Multimedia development lab and it works GREAT.

But, I have a minor problem. Every once in a while a Macintosh client will not
be able to see any of the netatalk servers. If I restart the client it doesn't
help, but if I restart the servers they reappear, also if I let the client
sit for a few hours the netatalk servers reappear. Is this possibly related to
a time-out problem in netatalk? Any suggestions. I'm using netatalk on the
following configurations:

Pentium Pro 200 
Linux Kernel 2.0.32
Netatalk 1.4b2 w/ Umich patches
3com 905 100mb

486DX100
Linux kernel 2.0.32
Netatalk 1.4b2 w/ umich patches
SMC EtherEZ 10mb

Macintosh 8150
Mklinux DR2.6 (i think)
Netatalk 1.3.3 (mklinux RPM)

These machines all sit on a 100/10MB switch (all 1 vlan )

The only atalk error messages I get are 

atalk[xxx]:zip ingnoring gnireply 
atalk[xxx]: zip gnireply from 30350.12 (eth0 b2)

---

From: Nico Lumma <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:03:43 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

thanks to numerous suggestions I was able to solve my first problem
(multiple logins under different names...), now here's another problem:

I want to access not only my server, but also any other netatalk server
taht is behind that server and the firewall. We are using a private
network and therefore ip-masquerading. 
How does that work? Do the apple-talk-packets get encapsulated by
ip-packets and then travel through the net, or are they just "plain"
apple-talk-packets, who can't get through routers and the like?

I am living at a big German university campus and we are trying to connect
our dorms to the net and want to share as much as possible between the
different buildings across town. And since Samba makes it possible to
access Windoze PCs on other networks, I want to do the same with
appletalk...

Thanks again,

Nico

--------
Nico Lumma
[email-masked]
0551-47417
0177-2924424

---

From: David Perry <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 05:54:51 +0000 ()

Nico,

How about AppleTalk IP. It should be easy to route that service across 
firewalls. I think someone mentioned the asun patches add that to netatalk.

David Perry

---

From: Helge Münnich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 10:21:02 +0100

> following configurations:

I have observed this after zapping the PRAM. The solution: Deactivate
appletalk in Controlfields( Sorry I have a german mac) - close the
window - save - and activate appletalk again. Now you should get the
server in the chooser.
Hope it helps, Helge
-- 
					ID-Online
Tel.: +49 761 290035			Schauinslandstr. 26c 
Fax : +49 761 290034			D-79100 Freiburg

---

From: Alistair Riddell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 22:49:55 +0000 (GMT)

At present netatalk will only route between AppleTalk networks that are
directly connected to the machine it is running on. It cannot do
AppleTalk-in-IP tunnelling. However if you use Adrian Sun's version of
netatalk in conjunction with version 3.7 or newer of the AppleShare
extension then you can enter the IP address of the machine you want to
connect to in the Mac Chooser and connect over TCP-IP with no appletalk
involved.

--
Alistair Riddell - BOFH
IT Support Department, George Watson's College, Edinburgh
Tel: +44 131 447 7931 Ext 176       Fax: +44 131 452 8594