Subject: [netatalk-admins] urgent: type/creator for excel files

From: Peter Bolmehag <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:29:21 +0100

What is the type/creator code for excel files? I need to make netatalk
understand excel files stored by a pc on the linux box.

What do I write in Applevolumes.system?

Peter

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:02:54 +0000 (GMT)

> understand excel files stored by a pc on the linux box.

.xl       XLS4  XCEL      Excel Spreadsheet
.xlc      XLC4  XCEL      Excel Chart
.xlm      XLM4  XCEL      Excel Macro
.xls      XLS4  XCEL      Excel Spreadsheet

Whenin doubt, create a file on a mac, and save it to a netatalked
directory - then go into the .AppleDouble directory there, and have a look
in the file of the same name there:

netatalked-directory/some_file
netatalked-directory/.Appleouble/some_file

That'll have the type/creator info you need. Alternatively, if you have
resedit on the Mac, you can use that.
--
fsck -f -b 8193 /dev/cortex

---

From: Jon Torrez <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 02:54:23 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Vivek wrote:

<WWW>On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Peter Bolmehag wrote:
<WWW>
<WWW>> 
<WWW>> 
<WWW>> What is the type/creator code for excel files? I need to make netatalk
<WWW>> understand excel files stored by a pc on the linux box.
<WWW>
<WWW>.xl       XLS4  XCEL      Excel Spreadsheet
<WWW>.xlc      XLC4  XCEL      Excel Chart
<WWW>.xlm      XLM4  XCEL      Excel Macro
<WWW>.xls      XLS4  XCEL      Excel Spreadsheet
<WWW>
<WWW>Whenin doubt, create a file on a mac, and save it to a netatalked
<WWW>directory - then go into the .AppleDouble directory there, and have a look
<WWW>in the file of the same name there:
<WWW>
<WWW>netatalked-directory/some_file
<WWW>netatalked-directory/.Appleouble/some_file
<WWW>
<WWW>That'll have the type/creator info you need. Alternatively, if you have
<WWW>resedit on the Mac, you can use that.

	I am new; VERY NEW, to the MacOS system and of course resedit:
where would I find this info in resedit?

<WWW>--
<WWW>fsck -f -b 8193 /dev/cortex
<WWW>

	I could alsmost swear about reading a program for the mac that can
get this info other than resedit, does anyone know what I am talking
about?

(yes, this message is very old BUT I hardly ever have time to keep poperly
updated on my e-mail :(.  Thanks...)

+--------
| Jon Torrez
| Systems Administrator - WWWebServers, Inc. 
| http://www.wwwebservers.com / [email-masked]
+----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: David Perry <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 06:03:05 +0000 ()

Jon,

You could have a look at bunchtyper 1.01 or snitch. Both are very handy.

David Perry

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Jon Torrez wrote:

> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 02:54:23 -0600 (CST)
> From: Jon Torrez <[email-masked]>
> To: Vivek <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Peter Bolmehag <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] urgent: type/creator for excel files
>

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 12:42:52 -0800 (PST)

> where would I find this info in resedit?

Assuming you have ResEdit, go look on the File... menu. There's a Get
Info for This File, and a Get File/Folder Info command. The former works
on a file you've already opened, the latter on an unopened file. The
crator and type info will be obvious in the opened window.

Since you're new (and ask for advise :-), be careful w/ ResEdit. It's a
unix-like utility. It's a MacOS Application (windows, sensible views,
sensible menues, etc.), but it lets you get at the innards of things and
mess with them. It will also let you do stupid things (after asking, "Are
you sure" for some) since it can't tell the difference between something
stupid and something very clever. I've heard a quote where UNIX is
described just that way (letting you do both stupid and clever things). 

Take care,

Bill