Subject: [netatalk-admins] FreeBSD and Netatalk1.4b2

From: Keith Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 17:32:44 +0000

Hi netatalk people

Help please!

I'm trying to build a netatalk service on a FreeBSD box (2.2.5 -STABLE) and
get the following messages when trying to start it:

# sh rc.atalk
starting appletalk daemons:AppleTalk not up! Child exited with 1.
 atalkdJan  8 17:16:22 iron atalkd[1597]: addmulti: Address family not
supported
 by protocol family
Jan  8 17:16:22 iron atalkd[1597]: addmulti: Address family not supported
by pro
tocol family
nbp_rgstr: Operation timed out
Can't register iron:Workstation@*
nbp_rgstr: Operation timed out
Can't register iron:netatalk@*
 nbprgstr papd afpd.
#

There are other netatalk servers/routers on the network; this one is
intended to do simple serving with the following config file:

# less atalkd.conf
fxp0 -phase 2 -net 9279 -addr 9279.174 -zone "qmw-DCS"
#

This is consistent with the other servers (same -net, other m/c is -addr
9279.176, same zone).

Thanks for any help that might come this way, and apologies if I'm just
overlooking something stupid - the person who made the original set up has
moved on.

Keith Clarke

ps
for what it's worth, rc.atalk does simple stuff:

echo -n 'starting appletalk daemons:'
if [ -f /usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd ]; then
        /usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd -f /usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd.conf;
        echo -n ' atalkd'
fi

if [ -f /usr/local/atalk/bin/nbprgstr ]; then
        /usr/local/atalk/bin/nbprgstr -p 4 `hostname|sed
's/\..*$//'`:Workstatio
n
        /usr/local/atalk/bin/nbprgstr -p 4 `hostname|sed 's/\..*$//'`:netatalk
                                        echo -n ' nbprgstr'
fi

if [ -f /usr/local/atalk/etc/papd ]; then
        /usr/local/atalk/etc/papd;              echo -n ' papd'
fi

if [ -f /usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd ]; then
        /usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd -c 128 -n " Perilous Server";         echo -n
' afpd'
fi

if [ -f /usr/local/atalk/etc/timelord ]; then
        /usr/local/atalk/etc/timelord;          echo -n ' timelord'
fi

                                        echo '.'
#

---

From: Julian Elischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 12:31:47 -0800

Keith Clarke wrote:

did you install the patch mentionned in the 2.2.5 erratum on
ftp.freebsd.org?

the netatalk code was broken in the 2.2.5 release and a patch came
out a few days later..

---

From: David Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 21:57:23 -0600

> supported by protocol family

Isn't the above the message generated when the following is missing 
from your kernel config file?

# (this is from /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT)
options         NETATALK                #Appletalk communications protocols

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [email-masked]
=====================================================================
The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its
capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.

---

From: Oliver Scheel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 20:24:01 +0100

> from your kernel config file?

... or perhaps from the missing netatalk-patch for FreeBSD 2.2.5 (see
errata on www.freebsd.org).

Oliver

-- 
http://www.camelot.de/~os/

     best things in life are free