Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] FreeBSD 2.2.7 - stable - and netatalk strange problems

From: Capriotti <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 08:05:25 -0300

At 04:07 AM 10/9/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I have an idea. Do all the problem files contain non-ascii characters in
>their names.

No, actually I thik I didn't completly describe the problem.

The files have normal ASCII names (I use to pay attention to this since
latin characters are also not very welcome to Windows machines);

What happens is that, in Photoshop for instance, the file starts loading
normaly, and after a while, photoshop stops loading, claiming that there is
an unexpected enf of file in the file.

Another situation: A file is Unziped on the PC, and Mac won't open it. Even
if you open it on the PC and save it under another name or format, it won't
opne.

It sounds absurd, but that's what happens.

I will double check on the file name thing, as soon as I can contact the
customer (It's a bit early here).

Depending on the result, I'll be asking you to send me your patches.

Thank you.

 Do the ones that work contain only ascii? My guess is yes.
>If you check the bad files on the unix machine, they will colons (':')
>in their names. Netatalk stores non-ascii character (and '/') as ':xx'
>where xx is the hexadecimal representation. Not very compatible  :-(
>
>Colon is not preferred by windos. They hate it ;-) Thus, the files won't
>show up.
>
>I did some work on this a while ago, and if you have a fresh system
>(i.e. not many files copied to the shared volume) you could try my
>patches. They make netatalk store filnames in iso-latin (8859-1) instead
>of MacRoman. This is good if you collaborate with Samba, since samba can
>also be set to this option. 
>
>The original ones were supplied around new year (1998-01-02 or so?). If
>you're interrested, I could send you a ready made port for FreeBSD on
>the latest netatalk+asun appleshare/ip package. I haven't supplied it
>public yet, because I haven't had the opportunity to test it. I can send
>you patches tomorrow from work. Please mail me to confirm that the above
>is indeed the source of the problem.
>
>Regards,
>Palle
>
>Capriotti wrote:
>> 
>> Hello. I am a newcomer, that has just finished borwsing the list archives
>> of 1998 w/o great success to the problems found.
>> 
>> The situation:
>> 
>> P166 64 MB ram
>> FreeBSD 2.2-stable of october/1998 (first week)
>> netatelk 1.4b2 - precompiled package added to the out-of-the-box system
>> new kernel custom built to support appletalk.
>> Samba
>> 
>> The problem:
>> 
>> When I copy a file from a MAc station, from it's SCSI external Zip Drive, I
>> get an appearently corrupted file.
>> 
>> I say it is apearently corrupted because it will not open on any of the
>> PCs, w/ Win95 or 98. but it will still open in the Macs.
>> 
>> The contrary is often true: Files compressed using Winzip, when inflated
>> will not open in the Macs.
>> 
>> note that it does NOT HAPPEN with ALL hte files. Only SOME of the files
>> suffer of this.
>> 
>> I tryed changing the Mac's Os version from 8 to 7.5.x, but it was of no
>> help. The MAc where the Zip is connected does not have the iomega
>> extension; It has a guest file from iomega, similar to PCs.
>> 
>> I am clueless
>> 
>> Any hints ?
>> 
>> TIA.
>
>