Subject: [netatalk-admins] Trouble with nbprgstr...

From: Typeline Webmaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 00:34:27 -0500

We've got a CAP server on our Network and have been playing with
Netatalk
for the past few weeks. I really like Netatalk. It's Much easier to
configure than CAP. For some reason CAP has come back to haunt us. After
getting Netatalk up
and running *while* the CAP server was still on our net, Netatalk
refuses to complete the registration part in the startup script after we
take the CAP server down.

With an early version of FreeBSD, we had to us UAR, a software based
router to get CAP to work. It seems like atalkd is relying on the UAR
router to get network information. With the router, atalkd creates the
atalkd.conf file as:

fxp0 -phase 2 net 97 -addr 97.12 -zone "MyZone"

Without the router it's:

fxp0 -phase 2 net 0-65536 -addr 97.130

With the UAR router we did specify a separate zone, "MyZone". It seems
as though
Netatalk needs this zone to complete an nbprgstr. I don't understand why
it
fails to complete the registration process in the netatalk.sh script
when the
default zone "*" is the target.

Please help. I'm really stuck on this.

Thanks
Bob

---

From: "Jochen H�berle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 12:00:28 +0100

Hi Bob,

I think I had similar problems with zones and several routers on the LAN. But
I never had the situation of netatlak refusing to complete the registration.
My problems came from the side that the clients had to reconnect and services
were interrupted.

What I did was to build my own atalkd.conf file with the exact data. I use the
-seed command to establish the exact same zone from within netatalk. Important
are the values for the network, so the zones are identical. My entry looks
like this:

eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 0-100 -addr 10.175 -zone "*"

most important is the -net 0-100. Make sure to use the same range as in the
other router. Have a look at man atalkd for more information on the config
file and why netatlk may fail on boottime when a router disagrees on the values.

Jochen