Subject: [netatalk-admins] Retrieving Print File name from PAPD

From: Les Barstow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:57:45 -0500

I could not find the answer to this elsewhere, so....

I am using netatalk-1.4b2 on Solaris 2.5.1, and have several questions.

1) Does AppleTalk send filenames, usernames, or systemnames with print
   requests?  If so, is there a way to get netatalk to pass them on to
   lpr/lp?
2) It appears that afpd suffers a limitation of 256 filehandles opened
   at one time.  Is this an afpd limitation, or does it have something
   to do with Solaris?
3) Are there any configuration GUI utilities (for setting zone,
interface,
   etc)?

and

4) Is there work still being done on netatalk?  I haven't seen a release
   anouncement in quite a while.  It would be nice to have lpstat
printer
   support.

TIA,
Les Barstow
System Administrator
ENTIRE/UFO Systems, AHT Companies
[email-masked]

---

From: Albert Max Lai <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:57:35 -0500 (EST)

>    requests?  If so, is there a way to get netatalk to pass them on to

Here at Columbia, we figured out a way to get the Document title (the one
that shows up on the top of a window on the Mac) and the hostnames. We use
bootp namer to syncronize the hostname to the Macintosh name. Then we grep
for "%%Title: " and "%%For: " in the postscript for the document name and
the hostname respectively using a perl script. The perl script takes the
postscript from stdin (which means that you can just pipe stuff into it in
the papd.conf configuration), writes a document of the correct title to
the disk, "lpr -C hostname -Pprintername document_title", and removes the
file from the spool. In order to prevent the possibility of having
conflicting titles, we create a directory with the pid number as the
directory name and put the file there, then we remove the file and the
directory. This probably isn't the most efficient way (makes for quite a
bit of disk activity and a little bit more CPU if you have a lot of
printing), but it is working for now.

> 4) Is there work still being done on netatalk?  I haven't seen a release

Yes. Adrian Sun has been doing lots of great work for netatalk. There
probably hasn't been any umich announcements though (as Adrian is
unaffiliated with umich).

                                                 \\\|||///
                                                 |       |
                                                (  @   @  )
********************************************oooO****(_)****Oooo*********
* Albert Lai         SEAS Columbia University                          *
* Residential Computer Consultant                                      *
* e-mail: [email-masked]     http://www.columbia.edu/~aml61        *
*         [email-masked]     http://amlai3.ec.rhno.columbia.edu    *
* AOL:    [email-masked]                                            *
* 1018D East Campus                                                    *
* 411 W 116th St                                                       *
* New York, NY 10027                            .oooO                  *
* Ph: (212)853-4854                             (   ) Oooo.            *
*************************************************\ (  (   )*************
                                                  \_)  ) /
                                                      (_/

---

From: Les Barstow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:51:45 -0500

Thanks for the hint.  Although I was hoping for an AppleTalk-level
answer,
I was able to write a Perl script which did the job (and did it for
Samba
as well :-).

---

From: Bill Studenmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 15:06:02 -0800 (PST)

>    requests?  If so, is there a way to get netatalk to pass them on to

Just an aside - Apple is reducing the amount of info shoved in here. Newer
versions of the driver won't give the file name as too often the title
alone can give away confidential info. Consider seeing a printjob entitled
"Layoff list" in the print queue, or worse yet, "<name X> layoff letter"
followed by "<name Y> layoff letter"...

I think you will continue to get the username and the system name.

Take care,

Bill