Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Rhapsody

From: anthonyj <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 98 15:05:44 -0400

http://www.of.org/rhaptel/proposal/danger.html

I just saw this on Macintouch and I couldn't believe it. I understand 
that Apple has no plans to support non-apple/non-G3 machines with OS 8.5 
(specifically the networking) or OS X. What am I supposed to do with the 
$200,000+ worth of (_mostly_ Apple) equipment this company has pieced 
together? 

Not that I will ever miss the day when AppleTalk is but a topic of humor 
at the local user group meeting...

Sorry for the off topic nature of this post,

ant

>>>From what I have heard the DR2 of Rhapsody doesn't contain the AppleTalk
>>API as it has changed from DR 1. Also I don't think that Apple have
>>committed to providing an Appleshare Server for MacOS X Server. Perhaps
>>they are expecting a 3rd party to fill the gap?
>
>
>Leaving AppleShare file services out of Rhapsody sounds like typical
>Apple stupidity. How do they think their installed base of Mac's still
>running system 7 and 8 will access a server? They must be thinking
>NT is the way to go for a server.
>
>I am disgusted if this is true and finally give up on Apple.
>
>
>