Subject: [netatalk-admins] linux + mac printer

From: Aussage Olivier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 15:45:27 +0100

Hi,

I would like to use a mac printer from my linux box.
My linux box is a redhat 5.1 and the mac is a LC475. The printer is a
personal laserwriter 300 connected to the serial port of the mac.
I can access to my linux disk from the mac with appleshare.
Could someone tell me if it is possible to use the printer from the
linux box ?
If yes, where can i find some help, howto, ...

Thanks!

Olivier.

---

From: [email-masked] (Ray Zimmerman)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:00:10 -0500

>If yes, where can i find some help, howto, ...

Here's an idea that might work under MacOS 8.5. I realize 8.5 won't run on
your LC475 (not PPC, right?), but I thought somebody else might be
interested ...

You could attach a folder action to a folder on the Linux server (mounted
on the Mac) which would send any files placed in it to the Mac printer via
Drop*PS or similar.  Then set up the Linux box to print to a PS file in
that folder.

This is just an idea, I don't have 8.5 yet so I can't test it.

	Ray

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 06:26:52 +0200 (SAT)

better yet:

get localtalk/ethertalk bridge (on
ftp://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/main/mac/System)

install on the 475
open the control panel, set the printer to be public
network the two machines via ethernet
install and run papd on the linux box. 
when it prints, it will look on the network for the printer
it will see the 475 *as* the printer
the psfile will be spooled to the 475 by apple's software, and print.

i do this with an old LW II f that i have.

____________________________________________________________
John Ostrowick
Computer Science Department, University of the Witwatersrand   
Web site, ftp site and listserv all available at: 
http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/