Subject: [netatalk-admins] SAMBA & Netatalk

From: SEBESTYEN Zoltan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 19:04:52 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

 I'm hungarian therefore I use non-english alphabetic characters in the
filenames of files that are shared via both Samba and Netatalk. Since
these characters aren't in the ASCII standard, Windows and Mac codes them
in different ways. Is there any solution to see the filenames right both
on the Macs and the PCs?

---

From: Palle Girgensohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 02:50:23 +0200

> in different ways. Is there any solution to see the filenames right both

Hello Sebestyen, 

What character set do you use? There are a few different patches for
ISO-Latin_8859-1 out there; I'm responsible for one of them. Check the
mail archive for beginning of January '98 for my contribution. There
might be better ones around, though. :)

Basically, Samba can be set up to use iso-latin. Then patch netatalk to
do the same. Also, you need a script that runs find and renames all your
old files with :xx to the latin correspondance.

Hope this helps. If not feel free to mail me, and I'll see if I can find
the patch and mail it to you.

Regards,
Palle

---

From: Andras Kadinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 03:18:50 +0200

> in different ways. Is there any solution to see the filenames right both

Someone was working on a netatalk/samba cooperation project, which also
included solutions to this problem. If memory serves well, it also had
the correct accented characters in unix (well, in Linux and iso8859-1 or
so anyway) - I may be wrong here.

What happened to this? Does anybody know about this project?

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]

---

From: Julian Elischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 19:16:28 -0700

> What happened to this? Does anybody know about this project?

It's jeremy Allison, the SAMBA maintainer, who's job at whistle 
is to keep samba and netatalk in sync for the Interjet product..
(see www.whistle.com)