Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] RH5.1/Intel working version?

From: Tom Watson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 98 22:06:05 -0500

Hi!

I just joined the mail list today and this (the first message) is very 
timely for me. I recently set up my Linux box (RH 5.1) and was struggling 
to get netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0-5.i386.rpm working. I could set up system 
volumes and access them via a guest login, but as soon as I tried to log 
in as a real user, I got that aggravating "unexpectedly disconnected" 
message. Nothing I tried would resolve it. Last night, I spent the 
evening scouring the Web and found numerous references to 2.1.0-5 as 
being very buggy. So, tonight I downloaded 
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-oa1.i386.rpm and forced an "oldpackage" 
upgrade using "rpm --upgrade --oldpackage 
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.2-oa1.i386.rpm". After killing afpd and 
restarting, EVERYTHING WORKED LIKE A CHARM!

I had trouble logging in to Red Hat's ftp site, so I ended up getting it 
from:
ftp.caldera.com/pub/mirrors/redhat-contrib/hurricane/i386/...

Hope this helps.

Tom

>Craig Roberts wrote:
>
>> I'm using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0-5.i386.rpm - forget where I got it from
>> right this mo'. From version number i would have thought that 2.1.0 was the
>> more recent.
>>
>> To all (or anyone) using RH5.1/Intel : which rpm are you using? Does it work
>> properly for Mac login (which OS, etc.) ?
>
>I'm not using an RPM.  I'm using the pre-asun2.1.0-10a or something like 
>that.
>
>I see there is now a newer version so I'll have to get that and see what the
>difference is.  Get it here:
>ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/asun/
>
>Mac login?  I have Macs using it just fine with OS 7.6.1 and 8.1 if that's 
>what
>you mean.
>
>Jonathan
>
>PS  If you need help compiling it then let me know.  It isn't difficult at 
>all.
>
>--
>Jonathan Benson B.Eng. (Soft Sys Hon) <[email-masked]>
>Systems Administrator, Phoenix Magazines, Phone: +61 3 9696 7200
>http://www.phoenixmags.com.au
>
>

---

From: "frank scholten Linde" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:44:54 +0200 (CEST)

> ftp.caldera.com/pub/mirrors/redhat-contrib/hurricane/i386/...

Hi

yeah .. i had exactly the same problem, user the "older" rpm and it was fixed.
I tried it with my username (frank), no prob. Then i tried the share with the
username from a "regular" user, Rob, and i get "wrong password". Changed his
pass as root, same result. Deleted the user, made the user "Rob" new, same
problem. I could login on console or so, but not on the mac. I made another
user, "david", tried .. worked. So i changed Rob ( the bloody macusers all had
the username starting with CAPS) into rob, problem solved. Is that a known
problem ??

greetings,
frank

----------------------------------
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Date: 20-Oct-98
Time: 13:39:52
XFMail *** RedHat 5.1-2.0.35
----------------------------------

---

From: Jonathan Benson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:58:23 +1000

> the username starting with CAPS) into rob, problem solved. Is that a known

Yes.  I'm sure it's documented somewhere.

Try:
http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/

Jonathan