Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] current netatalk plans

From: Peter Gutowski <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Mar 98 12:21:55 -0500

BandiT wrote:
> Peter,
> 
> On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Peter Gutowski wrote:
> > Including an eps file is the easiest case. To my understanding OPI
servers
> > are a participant in completing a PostScript stream that goes to a
hirez
> > postscript output device. There may be a challenge setting up the OPI
> > server to translate TIF files as well as the other less documented
highrez
> > image formats that desktop layout programs (PageMaker, Xpress) accept
as
> > placeable images. 
> 
> What image formats do You use in your workflow You really need OPI
support
> for?

Two things come to mind: 1) to answer your question directly the only
other real "format" would be a Scitex CT.  2) The "variations" within the
various TIF file type would all need to be addressed. Along a similar line,
there is a so-called "5 file DCS Format" which is a split up hirez-type EPS
format. The client page layout application places a small, lorez EPS file
that contains information linking it 
to the hirez components. eg.

   FILENAME            SIZE (K)         TYPE
   --------            --------         ----
   myfile                 100 K         /* lorez file for placing, &
quick proofing */
   myfile.C              4526 K         /* cyan hirez data channel  */
   myfile.M              4526 K         /* magenta hirez data channel  */
   myfile.Y              4526 K         /* yellow hirez data channel  */
   myfile.K              4526 K         /* black hirez data channel  */

In my opinion the OPI server would recognize a few things: whether you
were printing separations or composite. In the case of separations, the
server would need to discern the separation being printed and to send the
appropriate channel's data. Or if hirez composite data was being required (for
instance when printing to a high end digital color proofer expecting
composite postscript input), the OPI server would need to fold the separations
into a single CMYK postscript file.

Peter Gutowski

Power-Vue Graphics
[email-masked]
http://www.powervue.com/~peterg

---

From: Sak Wathanasin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 20:56:41 +0000

In reply to Peter Gutowski's message of the 13/03/98 at 12:21 -0500,

> other real "format" would be a Scitex CT.

Whose format is proprietary and can only be obtained from Scitex Corp under
NDA. I know - I was responsible for adding Scitex support to the 4-Sight OPi
product (4-OPi or whatever the marketing people call it these days). An OPi
server seems quite simple in theory, but the devil is in the detail. Just
dealing with all the weird and wordeful things in Photoshop and Q Xpress files
will keep you busy for a while...

> were printing separations or composite. ...

It wouldn't be much use if it didn't.

Sak Wathanasin
Network Analysis Limited
178 Wainbody Ave South, Coventry CV3 6BX, UK

Internet: [email-masked]
Phone: (+44) 1203 419996                    Fax: (+44) 1203 690690