Subject: [netatalk-admins] printers disappearing...

From: "Leo J. Dejan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 08:11:35 -0500

I am currently using netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a15.2 with LPRng-3.5.1 on
linux Redhat5 and have been using this setup successfully for some time.
A couple of days ago one of our most used printers appeared offline to
LPRng yet the printer indicated 'Ready' in its display window. I tried using
'nbplkup' and it was unable to locate the printer. The printer was power
cycled with no success. Over the course of two days three more printers have
fallen victim to these disappearings . The printer types are: HP LaserJet
5Si, Color Tek550 Laser, HP LaserJet 4M and HP LaserJet 6MP.

Now what makes this difficult to understand is that all of the Apple and 
NT/Windows machines are able to successfully print to these printers.

Having some time and a spare linux machine I turned it into a print server
and it also is having the same problem seeing the same printers via the
appletalk protocol.

Lest more vital info required does anyone have a clue what might be happening?
Or trouble shooting suggestions. I'm stumped!

Thanks for any help.
Leo
-- 
Leo Dejan                                             Phone: 505.665.9222
[email-masked]                                      Pager: 505.996.3015
Space Data Systems (NIS-3), D440                      Fax  : 505.665.2483
Los Alamos National Laboratory                        email: [email-masked]
Los Alamos, NM 87545
Nonproliferation and International Security Division  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------