Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Mounting Mac CDROM

From: Paul Wolstenholme <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:27:15 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Paul Wolstenholme wrote:

Sorry about the the blank message (finger spasm).  I'm running netatalk on
FreeBSD 2.2.7 and was wondering whether anyone had successfully mounted
and shared a Mac CD.

/Paul

---

From: Jeremy Mates <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:07:24 -0800 (PST)

> FreeBSD 2.2.7 and was wondering whether anyone had successfully mounted

Try:

mount -t hfs -o fork=netatalk /dev/cdrom /cdrom

Though that's under linuxPPC which has hfs support, and was actually a
partition instead of a cd-rom when I tried it so your luck may vary...

--
Jeremy Mates <[email-masked]>    (206) 221-4714   Fax: 685-7301
Macintosh Systems Administrator           K353-B, Health Sciences Center
Department of Molecular Biotechnology     Box 357730
University of Washington                  Seattle, WA, 98195

---

From: Paul Wolstenholme <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 17:12:18 -0800 (PST)

> mount -t hfs -o fork=netatalk /dev/cdrom /cdrom

I just found out that this will not work on freeBSD (boohoo).  There are a
couple of utilities that allow you to read/write/navigate HFS volumes but 
that is about it for freebsd.

Too bad, so sad.

/Paul 

PS
Has anyone picked up one of the Corel linux boxes?  They look kind of
cool.

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 18:16:35 -0800 (PST)

Try:

umm, that should be mount -t hfs -o afpd /dev/blah /mnt/blah if you're
going to use afpd on it. also, the *bsds don't have hfs support.

-a

---

From: Mike Holling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 22:00:08 -0800 (PST)

> that is about it for freebsd.

That is one of the advantages of Linux, then again last I checked the HFS
support was fairly green.  Of course with FreeBSD's macipgw and a Mac
running LocalTalk bridge, you can get all your old SE's connected with
phonenet and talking IP to the rest of the world.  Not sure that's been
ported back to Linux.

- Mike