Subject: [netatalk-admins] files/dirs that begin with !

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:52:42 -0800 (PST)

hi all,

in my quest to update netatalk's appledouble version, it looks like
one of the things that we're not supposed to do is generate files with
! as the first character. does anyone actually have those types of
files around?  

i'll probably stick in a name mangler into my adv1tov2 converter
program so that it will appropriately deal with those, but i wanted to
know how many people will be affected by this.

-a

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 03:55:56 +1000

a sun said in [netatalk-admins] files/dirs that begin with ! at 15/Dec/1998 
(Tue) 09:52:42.

> know how many people will be affected by this.

I know I often put a "!" in front of filenames I want "sorted" a special way. 
 Hrm, what's special about ! anyhow?  I know some Macintosh file-servers put 
% or other characters as a prefix for resforks, etc.

I may often have files that begin with !, in fact, I often make "dummy" 
folders named like that (with invisible custom icons) to serve as "floating 
notes" in iconic windows on my /Applications shares.

=Rob=

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:03:04 -0800 (PST)

I know I often put a "!" in front of filenames I want "sorted" a
    special way.  Hrm, what's special about ! anyhow?  I know some
    Macintosh file-servers put % or other characters as a prefix for
    resforks, etc.

i guess i should have made myself a little clearer. i'm only talking
about what the file looks like on the server side. nothing will change
on the client side. fyi, the ! prefix is often used for shortname
aliases.

-a