Subject: [netatalk-admins] netatalk and copstalk

From: [email-masked] (Greg Ryan)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:33:32 +1000

Does anyone have experience with using netatalk with copstalk?

We have two Linux based servers running netatalk 1.4b2 serving files to
a number of macs and PCs.  The PCs, running both Windows 95 and Windows
3.11 are using COPStalk 2.1 for this access.

Since upgrading to the 1.4b2 version of netatalk, which improved the
overall reliability of the netatalk service, COPStalk is now giving us
problems.  Volumes which should be accessible via COPStalk are now
shown as greyed out and unselectable.  In the Windows 3.11 case access
causes a crash.

We've straced the netatalk processes while accessing from COPStalk and
can see a connection being made and the appropriate directories being
read, but COPStalk perceives the returned values as if the file systems
are unwritable.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or the like?

			Greg Ryan	[email-masked]

---

From: Kadinger Andras <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 01:56:39 +0100 (CET)

Hello Greg,

> shown as greyed out and unselectable.  In the Windows 3.11 case access
[...]
> Has anyone else experienced this problem or the like?

Well, I had similar experiences with another dos/win based AFP
client/server software suite, the name of which I can't currently recall. 
The issue was, we could access our Mac servers, but could not access
netatalk. 

Investigationg the problem further revealed the following: AFP (the
protocol) has provisions for so called short names for files, which are
basically DOS-compatible (8.3) names usually generated by the server from
the original filenames. netatalk (1.4b2) does not provide short names,
while the mentioned client suite could only use short names <-> they were
incompatible, and that was the reason for the volumes to appear 'grayed'. 

AFAIK netatalk still does not provide short names, but this might have
changed in Adrian's version - I'm lucky for not having to use any
PC-hosted AFP client packages for a couple of years now, so I really don't
know.

Hope, this helps,

Sincerely,
Andras Kadinger
[email-masked]

---

From: "frank scholten Linde" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 13:22:17 +0200 (CET)

>> Has anyone else experienced this problem or the like?

All i can say is that i have a simular setup here, but for the pc's i just use
Samba ( together with netatalk 1.4b2 that is ) as a server for Win95 and NT4
clients, and i don't have any problems with either one whatsoever. Maybe an idea
to use that instead of COPStalk?

greetings,

Frank
----------------------------------
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Date: 26-Oct-98
Time: 13:19:09
XFMail *** RedHat 5.1-2.0.35
----------------------------------