Subject: [netatalk-admins] Can't change password?

From: Neil McAllister <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:13:04 -0800

While it's worked in the past, I just noticed yesterday that for some
reason my netatalk server is no longer letting users change their passwords
through the AppleShare client.  They can log in with their current
password, and the "Change Password" button is active, but when the client
actually sends the request to the server to change the password, it comes
back with this message:

"Your password could not be changed.  Please try again or see your server
administrator."

Again, users can log in, and this password mechanism has worked in the
past.  I suspect some kind of permissions problem -- but what should I be
looking at?  The users' .password files are all mode 600.

I'm running netatalk-asun pre2.1.1-3, using 2-way Randnum authentication.
PAM support is disabled.  Could this be my problem?

--
Neil McAllister, Systems Administrator
Primo Angeli Inc., San Francisco, CA, USA
http://www.primo.com  mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: PayPC System Mail Subscriber <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:51:37 +1000

Neil McAllister said in [netatalk-admins] Can't change password? at 
17/Dec/1998 (Thu) 04:13:04.

> PAM support is disabled.  Could this be my problem?

(Sorry for quoting most of the above, but it describes my setup perfectly).

I thought to check it myself, and it's broken for me as well.  Intel Linux 
2.0.33+, 2.1.1-3 asun...  OS 8.5.1, ASIP 3.8.1, yahyahyah.

I've tested it with user accounts where I've successfully changed pw's in the 
2.1 era.  I've re-checked the .password permissions, I've tried it both at 
login (just prior to selecting a volume to mount) as well as post-login 
(after vols are already online).

My afpd.conf is basically: - -rand2num -noguest -setpassword

=R=