Subject: [netatalk-admins] Icon^M

From: Jan Dockx <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 07:01:26 +0200

When I put a custom icon on a folder or volume served by netatalk, it
appears as a file called "Icon^M" in that directory and in .AppleDouble of
that directory.

Our setup complains about the last character in that filename (ascii 13,
^M, :0D). Some Unix programs, in my own experience notably csh, have
understandable problems with this filename.
I am surprised that netatalk does translate a number of diacriticals to
hexadecimal ":nn" notation, but leaves something as critical as ascii 13
untouched.

Is there a good reason for this? If not, did I overlook a compiler option?
If not, wouldn't "someone" be interested in a patch to correct this?

Jan.

Jan Dockx                      ([email-masked])
K.U.Leuven, Department of Computer Science
Celestijnenlaan 200A / L00.10; 3001 Heverlee; Belgium
tel.: ++ 32/16/32 75 96              fax.: ++ 32/16/32 79 96
+----------------------------------------------------------+
The EROOS Research Group can be contacted through e-mail at
"[email-masked]" or through regular mail at
the address above.
+----------------------------------------------------------+
Wisdom is not beauty ...