Subject: [netatalk-admins] Ultra with hme0 panics (afpd)

From: Galen Arnold <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 09:10:37 -0500

Does anyone know of a fix for Sun Ultras (2.5.1 & 2.6) with hme0
interfaces, so that
afpd will not panic the system?  You can make those systems panic if you
stop netatalk while
a Mac's got a volume attached.

The panic looks like (trap type = 0x31 is consistent) :

BAD TRAP: cpu=1 type=0x31 rp=0x303c3568 addr=0x0 mmu_fsr=0x0
afpd: trap type = 0x31

-Galen

____________________________________________________________________________
Galen W. Arnold, systems programmer/analyst   
[email-masked]
Illinois State Geological Survey, Champaign, IL 61820         (217)
244-2514
____________________________________________________________________________

---

From: Neil Crellin <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Apr 1998 08:16:28 -0700

Have you applied the latest rev of the 104212 patch? (That's the 2.5.1
patch number, don't know the 2.6 one off hand)

-Neil Crellin <[email-masked]>

---

From: Yuji Shinozaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 12:01:19 -0400 (EDT)

Any hints on compiling netatalk (preferably with asun's modifications)
on Solaris x86 (2.5.1 and eventually 2.6)?  

yuji
----
Yuji Shinozaki		        Systems Administrator
[email-masked]	        Dept of Physics and Astronomy
http://www.physics.unc.edu      Univ. of North Carolina - CH
(919)962-7214 (voice)           CB 3255 Philips Hall
(919)962-7214		        Chapel Hill, NC  27599

---

From: Tom <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 13:15:06 -0700 (PDT)

Anyone have Macs printing via a LinuxRedHat5.0 machine? (The netatalk
package included asun and pam patches)

I'm trying to set this up for my kids class at school. (And these kids
think every web page is worth printing!)

Volumes mount and unmount without a problem. 

I have 3 Macs and 4Win95 machines and one HP560CAppleLocalTalk capable
printer.  The printer is connected via an AppleLocalTalk/Ethernet router. 
I was able to hack the RedHat printfilter to print from the Linux server
via netatalk/pap.  And with Samba installed the Win95 machines print
without a problem. 

Print jobs from the Mac however hang in the spool and papstatus
indicated printer is busy but nothing prints.  Note that Linux and Samba
generated print requests enter the spool without a machine designation.
While the Macs all come in with the machine tagged to the file
 ex.  cf437buddies.com df437buddies.com
Linux and Samba generated print requests enter the spool with some sort of
file(empty) like 
	err....
No such file
	err437
is generated with Mac print requests.

Any thoughts on what I have misconfigured/failed to configure?

Thanks.

--
tom				| "When we are born we cry that we have
[email-masked]		|  come to this great stage of fools!"
				|                  W. Shakespeare

---

From: John Nishinaga <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 17:06:40 -0700

I'm a new netatalk user so bear with me. ;)

Configuration:
Network
  - 10baseT ethernet with 2 nodes, linux and Macintosh
linux setup
  - RedHat 4.2 distribution
    - glibc2
    - kernel 2.0.33
Macintosh setup
  - MacOS 8.1
  - OpenTransport (I think 1.1?  Whatever came with MacOS 8.1)
netatalk 1.42b
  - Compiled with "RedHat 5" patch (to get it to compile under glibc2's
new
    header structure).
  - Minimal configuration files 
    - "eth0" for atalkd.conf
    - nothing in/added to papd.conf
    - the default AppleVolumes.system with a line at the top added to
point to
      a shared directory

Problem:

I'm having difficulty copying more than 1 directory to the shared
directory from
the Macintosh.  Apparantly anytime I try to copy a batch of files that
contains
at least one directory not at the end (not copied last) then the
Macintosh OS will
complain that it couldn't create the directory on the shared folder. 
However, as
soon as I press "OK" the directory it tried to create will pop-up.  I
can copy
directories one at a time, as well as copy any amount of non-directory
files.

I should point out that I'm using Finder to copy the files.  I haven't
tried other
utilities that have copy features yet.

Anyways, if anybody knows of a solution to this problem I would be very
appreciative.

John