Subject: [netatalk-admins] Macs don't see my Linux box - but Linux box sees Macs

From: "Jim A. Horning" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:50:23 -0700

My Macs do not see my Linux machine with AppleShare.  However, my Linux
machine sees all of our Apple resources.  What is going on?

My Linux box is kernel 2.0.34 with Netatalk-1.3.3b2.  I have the services
running:

  333  ?  S    0:00 /usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd 
  344  ?  S    0:00 /usr/local/atalk/etc/papd 

atalkd.conf is written back by atalkd as:

 eth0 -phase 2 -net 25 -addr 25.126 -zone "Space Systems"

With getzones I see zones on our network.

With nbplkup I see all of the Apple resources in our zone.  However, I
noticed that there is no AFPServer for my Linux machine (just LaserWriter,
netatalk, and Workstation).  Out of curiosity, I used nbprgstr to register
AFPServer with my Linux machine (copied what was being done in the rc.atalk
with Workstation and netatalk).  Then, my Macs could see my Linux box with
AppleShare.  However, when trying to connect they get a response that the
server did not respond.

Thanks for your attention.

Jim
------------------------------
Jim A. Horning
[email-masked]
Space Systems Academic Group
U.S. Naval Postgraduate School