Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] AppleTalk Zones

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 May 98 13:45:52 PST

Original message sent on Mon, Apr 27  18:40 by [email-masked]
(Charlie ROOT) :

> Hi, I would like to take an appletalk network which currently has no zones
> and add a few zones to it as I plan to split the network up into smaller
> subnetworks.  Is it possible for me to use netatalk to act as the router
> between the different zones?
.
.
> I have been trying to create a zone with no luck.  Probably just something
> stupid on my part.  Is it possible for me to create a zone or two with
> netatalk if my current netatalk box only has one ethernet card?

You aren't doing anything wrong, this is a poorly documented limitatation in
atalkd (netatalk).  It is capable of acting as a router when there are multiple
interfaces (i.e. ethernet cards) in the machine, in which case atalkd can seed
the network (define zones) and route between the interfaces.  However when there
is only one interface, atalkd will not seed so you cannot use it to define
zones.

Hope this helps!

Bob Smith
Hammett & Edison, Inc.

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Haro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 13:58:06 -0700 (PDT)

Does anyone have a patch to create zones with only one ethernet card with
atalkd ?

Thanks,
Michael

---

From: a sun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 15:59:19 -0700 (PDT)

currently, you can use aliased interfaces to establish zones.

-a