Subject: [netatalk-admins] "Shifting" folder list.

From: "Bradley C. Spatz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 08:51:16 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

I have netatalk-1.4b2 on FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE.  Things work pretty good.

However, when a volume from the Unix box is displayed on the Mac in
"List" format, the listing will "shift" every 6-7 seconds.  From the
arrows in the top-left corner of the Mac screen, it looks like the Mac is
"pinging" the server every 6-7 seconds.  Any ideas?

It seems that when the folder only has other folders this behavior goes
away.  But moving a file up one level (so that the listing now shows the
folders and a file), the "shifting" returns.

The problem also only appears when the folder is in "List" format;
no shifting occurs when in "Icons" format.

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm not on this list so a direct reply is
necessary.  I'll summarize back to the list.
--
Bradley C. Spatz         [email-masked]      (904) 462-0870, x709
CuraGen Corporation      www.fl.curagen.com         (904) 418-1604 (fax)

---

From: "Bradley C. Spatz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 16:19:54 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Bradley C. Spatz wrote:

> "List" format, the listing will "shift" every 6-7 seconds. [...]

As suggested by a few folks, this problem is fixed by applying the
afpd-macos8 patch to the 1.4b2 sources.  I should have RTFWP...

For those of you that answered: a hearty thanks for the prompt replies. 
It's nice to see that netatalk is one of those quality free software
packages with good net support.  It's efforts like this that made the
Internet great.  I really appreciate it.
--
Bradley C. Spatz         [email-masked]      (904) 462-0870, x709
CuraGen Corporation      www.fl.curagen.com         (904) 418-1604 (fax)