Subject: [netatalk-admins] Oh Crud. RedHat 5.0 + netatalk asun18 won't accept my passwords, please help me.

From: Jeff Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 15:19:52 +0000

So of course everything has been running smoothly with the server here
at work. It was running RedHat 4.2 and netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a17. However
since we wanted to double the size of or RAID we thought it would be a
great time to upgrade to RedHat 5.0 since we would have to wipe the
drives anyways.

Well the latest version of netatalk now appears to be
netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.0a18.1 but since compiling this and restroring
our shared data from tape we can't use it because when the
applshare cooser asks you for a name and password it always comes back
as an invalid password.

I am using the *exact* same /etc/passwd file that I had been using
with RedHat 4.2 and I can log directly into the server using telnet
without any problems.

ANybody know what I screwed up?  I would really appreciate your help
since I have 25 employees coming in half an hour who won't be able to
do anything since they can't get to their files and I've already been
fiddling with the server for 20hours straight.

Thanks,

- Jeff
I... Just... Can't... Take... it... anymore!!!

---

From: Nate Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:16:56 -0600 (CST)

I would highly recommend moving back to RedHat 4.2. RedHat 5.0 has some
problems out of the box, which you may want to try fixing by downloading
the stuff in the 'updates' section of their ftp site, but I would just
recommend going back to 4.2 until 5.1 or 5.2 comes out.

-Nate Carlson
 The Infinite Loop
 [email-masked]