Subject: [netatalk-admins] help: exchanging excel with samba and netatalk

From: Peter Bolmehag <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 16:55:54 +0100

Hi!

I have a lot of trouble to get this to work. I use pc:s with samba and mac
with netatalk on my network. I have all the right file type and creator
codes in my AppleVolumes.system. I can save and open excel4 documents with
no problems. that is creating and saving on a pc and opening and editing on
a mac. But when i use excel5 i run into problems. I get strnge notes about
filess being write protected even though I can see that they are open for
write and read to all by unix permissions. 

An excel5 document saved on a pc will give "file write protected" when
opened on a mac via netatalk. I have set my samba system to use mode 666
when creating any files. So it is rw for everyone always.

strange...

Peter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Peter Bolmehag
 LundaForum AB
 Tel: 046-182513
 Mobil: 0708-373409
 Epost: [email-masked]
 
 Min PGP nyckel: http://www.lundaforum.se/pgp

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 16:30:19 +0000 (GMT)

> when creating any files. So it is rw for everyone always.

You're not running into some Samba/Windows locking thing here are you?
How long does this behaviour persist for after the file is saved out from
the PC? Maybe this is one for the samba list...

--
fsck -f -b 8193 /dev/cortex