Subject: [netatalk-admins] Printing w/ MacOS 8

From: Derek Simkowiak <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 16:03:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
	Got two questions:

	First, do I need to 'subscribe' to [email-masked], or is it just
a general support address?  The website is unclear.

	Second, has anyone gotten netatalk print sharing to work for a Mac
running OS 8?  Here's the setup:

	Redhat 4.2 running netatalk 1.4b2.  It's sharing two printers, and
has worked just fine for Mac OS 7.x over the past year.

	The new Mac, running OS 8, sees the printer and sets it up just
fine under Chooser, but when I try to print something I get error "-192",
which is a Macintosh System Error that means "Resource Not Found".

	I have not applied any patches to netatalk (and I am, in fact,
seeing the dancing icons problem with a different, second netatalk server
with the new Mac) but the only thing I am doing with the Redhat 4.2
server is sharing the two printers.  I'm not interested in doing anything
to it if I don't have to.

	So I have the following 2 questions:
1) Has _anyone_ gotten printsharing to work for Mac OS 8 (8.1, actually)?

I want to know whether this is confirmed as working before I invest any
more time into it.

2) If someone _has_ gotten it to work, what patches were necessary?

	Please reply to me personally, as I am not subscribed to any of
the netatalk lists.

Thanks Again,
Derek Simkowiak
[email-masked]

P.S.  I'm actually kind of proud of this old Linux box, so here's some
more details for anyone who's interested.  I put together an old 486DX/33
with parts this company had lying around.  It has a 240 MB hard drive,
20MB of RAM, and some cheap $10 network card.  No monitor, no keyboard,
I've seen similar systems selling for about $90 around here.

	It's sharing an HP III off the parallel port, and an HP 5 through
some bootp-configured HP JetDirect EX network "plug".  Both printers are
shared to Macs and Win95 (using Samba), about a dozen machines in all.

	We've had no problems at all related to linux box, until now (with
MacOS 8).  I've never had to ask for support with netatalk before--mostly
because it is so well documented acrossed the various websites--but this
could be a serious problem if there's no known fix.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 14:23:04 +0100

> running OS 8?  Here's the setup:

MacOS 8 (and 7.5.x with OT) supports IP Printing to a BSD compatible LPR server.  You may find it easier (and faster) to print directly to the LPR server via IP from MacOS 8 boxes.  (this is why the Apple LW16/600 and later have lpr servers built-in)

Hope this helps,

Gavin