Subject: [netatalk-admins] more info on papd problems...

From: Harry Zink <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 15:18:16 -0800

Here's some additional information about my configuration:

-------my printcap file----------
##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL POSTSCRIPT 600x600 letter {} PostScript Default {}
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
-------end of printcap file----------

----------my papd.conf file----------
laserspool:\
:pr=lp:op=wes:\
:pd=/usr/share/lib/ppd/HPLJ5M_1.PPD:
-------end of papd.conf file----------

The HPLJ5M_1.PPD file is the 'HP Laserjet 5M' ppd taken from the 'printer 
descriptions file'

The /usr/share/lib/ppd directory is set chmod 777 (not smart, I know, but 
for right now I didn't want permissions to stand in the way - suggestions 
for appropriate permissions welcome)

The printer is a Laserjet 5M attached locally via lp1.

This is the current behavior:

When selecting the spooler in the chooser, I can tell it to go through 
its configuration dance, but it doesn't recognize it, and asks me to 
manually select the proper ppd file.

Upon doing that, I can *NOT* query the printer for 'info' by using the 
'printer info' button. If I do, my Mac freezes, requiring a reboot.

Upon printing, the file spools quickly to the linuxbox, yet nothing at 
all ever reaches the printer.

I *CAN* print from the box directly, either by doing the test from the 
printtool, or any other means of printing to the printer. It just doesn't 
do anything when I send jobs from the client Macs.

I checked the various sources for 'printer configurations', but none 
really address the specific details of this particular situation, so any 
help is appreciated.

Harry

---

From: Jeremy Mates <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 16:52:54 -0800 (PST)

> do anything when I send jobs from the client Macs.

A new feature I've discovered about Macs using LaserWriter 8 is that you
can add "LPR" desktop printers.  Really cool, though you can't
automagically set these up.  Launch "Desktop Printer Utility" (usually
installin the the "Apple Extras" folder), create a new LPR printer,
choose the PPD, remote machine IP, and queue name, save it, then do a
change setup on the desktop printer to make sure all the printer options
are good. 

If you're running LaserWriter 8, that might allow the client Macs to
print properly...

--
Jeremy Mates <[email-masked]>    (206) 221-4714   Fax: 685-7301
Macintosh Systems Administrator           K353-B, Health Sciences Center
Department of Molecular Biotechnology     Box 357730
University of Washington                  Seattle, WA, 98195

---

From: Harald Roelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 09:16:43 +0100

>The HPLJ5M_1.PPD file is the 'HP Laserjet 5M' ppd taken from the 'printer 

Did you do a CRLF conversion on the ppd file taken from the mac?
I'm not sure, but I think it's necessary if you use a mac ppd.

>manually select the proper ppd file. 

In my case, if the name of the ppd on the unix side matches a
"*PCFileName:" entry inside a ppd on the mac, this one is choosen
automatically.

Harald

---

From: Tony & <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:12:16 -0600

> change setup on the desktop printer to make sure all the printer options

	What do you mean by "automagically"?
	Under MacOS 8.5, you can script desktop printer creation.
-- 
Anthony J. Stuckey                              [email-masked]
"When I was young, the sky was filled with stars.
 I watched them burn out one by one."  -Warren Zevon

---

From: Patrick Herzog <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 15:08:47 +0100

> change setup on the desktop printer to make sure all the printer options

What do you mean by 'LPR' printer? I can choose between "AppleTalk Printer",
"TCP/IP Printer", "Printer w/o connection" and "Save as PostScript" (Translated
from German)

So if I choose "TCP...", choose a suitable PPD, machine IP, queue name "lp", the
following happens:
If background printing is enabled, the system reports error 99 "the document
could not be priunted", nothing else happens.
If background printing is DISabled, nothing happens at all.

Printing via appletalk and papd works fine.

I appreciate any help

Patrick

--
Dr.-Ing. Patrick Herzog
-- Oberingenieur --
RWTH Aachen
Institut für Technische Elektronik
Sommerfeldstraße 24
D-52056 Aachen, Germany
http://www.ite.rwth-aachen.de