Subject: [netatalk-admins] DAT drive recommendations ?

From: Tony Moran <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 18:16:36 +0000

Hi, I have a i86/IDE Linux-netatalk machine I need to
do regular large backups on..

Can anyone recommend a good DAT drive that theyve
had good experiences with hardware and running under
Linux-wise ?

Thanks,   Tony.

__________________________________________________
Tony Moran			IT Manager
Ph:   (+353-1)-8303455		Scope Communications.
Fax: (+353-1)-8300888		http://www.infolive.ie
                                                        http://www.jobfinder.ie
      Ireland's online Jobs and IT resources Web Site - Check us out !
__________________________________________________
How to complain about Spam: http://weber.ucsd.edu/~pagre/spam.html

---

From: David Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 20:07:57 -0600

> had good experiences with hardware and running under

Haven't run Linux in a long time but do a lot of FreeBSD, Irix, and 
Solaris. Seagate/Conner/Archive DDS/DAT are the most trouble free and 
most compatible drives I've used.

The two WangDAT 3100's I had (one replaced the other under warranty) 
suggest that is one brand to stay away from.

We have (3) Sony SDT5200's at work. Works perfectly with software that 
knows exactly what a Sony SDT5200 is (ie: Retrospect on a Mac). Limps 
along under Solaris and Irix with poor or no control of compression. 
Similar disaster using Seagate's Backup Exec under NT where Seagate 4mm 
OEM'd by SGI worked perfectly.

Another endorsement of Seagate/Conner/Archive drives came the the
morning I spend on the phone calling Seagate, Sony, and Exabyte, looking
for a programmer's manual. Never got to the right person at Sony, was
trying to figure out if a non-disclosure agreement was needed. Exabyte
came right out with a part number and price of $55. Seagate quickly
said, "you need number so-and-so, let me send you one." It was exactly 
what I was looking for.

Now I personally own (5) Seagate DDS drives and (2) Archive QIC-9135 
drives.

http://www.basoncomputer.com was advertising an Archive 4326RP (I think
it was, I'm offline right now) for $399. That's an older model of the
current Seagate ST8000 (again I'm guessing the number from memory, not
to be confused with their low end PC market toy-QIC 8000 drive). DDS-1
and DDS-2 (2G and 4G) plus compression (maybe 4G and 8G). I have 3 of
these (purchased elsewhere). Looks like this to FreeBSD: 

% dmesg
Copyright (c) 1992-1997 FreeBSD Inc. 
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE #0: Sat Dec 13 20:23:20 CST 1997
    [email-masked]:/usr/src/sys/compile/PPRO166
[...]
(ahc0:5:0): "ARCHIVE Python 28388-XXX 4.CM" type 1 removable SCSI 2
st0(ahc0:5:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x13,  drive empty
(ahc0:6:0): "ARCHIVE ANCDA 2750 28077 -003" type 1 removable SCSI 2
st1(ahc0:6:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x0,  drive empty

The python is the DDS-2 drive, the ANCDA is my QIC-9130 Archive 
Anaconda.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [email-masked]
=====================================================================
The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its
capacity -- the rest is overhead for the operating system.