Subject: [netatalk-admins] question on mounting apple partitions

From: "Warren H. Chang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 11:09:42 -0400 (EDT)

I apologize in advance if this seems a bit off topic, but recently we've
gotten netatalk to work with our redhat 5.0 system, and for security
purposes, I'm trying to find out if there's any way of mounting an
macintosh partition onto linux?  I looked at the hfs for linux project
that Paul Hargrove is working on, but that doesn't seem to be a network
app.  

is there a way to do this? and if so, can anyone point me in the right
direction.

thanks

Warren

---

From: Vivek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 17:42:29 +0100 (BST)

> macintosh partition onto linux?  I looked at the hfs for linux project

afpfs is supposed to do this [It compiled Ok for me, but I haven't
succeeded in actually getting it to mount an afp share yet - not that
I've tried very hard or anything]

hmm... I appear to have mislaid the source, so I can't tell you where to
get it... no, wait, I lie.... it's at:

http://www.odyssey.co.il/~heksterb/Software/afpfs/

--
fsck -f -b 8193 /dev/cortex

---

From: Brian Eric Bothwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 13:08:56 -0500 (EST)

> http://www.odyssey.co.il/~heksterb/Software/afpfs/

I couldn't get anything to mount via afpfs on my Redhat 5.0 box.  I
emailed the author and he said that this is a known problem, and that he
will be fixing as soon as he gets settled in and gets a new Linux box. (he
has moved to the US recently)

-brian

---

From: "Conrad Hagemans" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 14:54:33 +0200

Hello Warren,

I have a linux box with red 4.2. I put an old Macintosh scsi harddisk in it
and mounted it
with HFS. I also use HFS to share the CD-ROM player with my apple's.
     mount -t hfs -o afpd /dev/scd0 /cdrom
The same for disks.

You can find it at http://www-sccm.stanford.edu/~hargrove/HFS/

Good Luck
Conrad Hagemans
[email-masked]

---

From: Scott Wisniewski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 13:29:19 -0500 (CDT)

Red hat 5.0 has many problems, including errors in the glibc shared
libraries, which every program that runs are linked with, I would suggest
for any server wich one is dependant on to either use an earlier version
of red hat or to use the slackware or the devian distributions. Both
slackware and devian are stable and they install prety easy.

*************************************************
Scott Wisniewski, Assistant Network Administrator
Riverside University High School
[email-masked]
*************************************************