Subject: [netatalk-admins] FileMaker multiuser: Windows Samba & Mac netatalk

From: Jan Dockx <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 16:35:57 +0200

When a FileMaker database is multiuser, on opening it, FileMaker checks
whether it is open already or not. If so, it connects you as a guest to the
FileMaker application that opened it first via its own protocol instead of
opening the file itself. This worked like a charm on AppleShare with Mac's,
and with the file on a Unix machine running Samba, where the Mac's used
Dave to get access.

Now we evolved to a setup where Mac user access the server through
netatalk, and this stopped working! When we now open a file on a Mac via
netatalk first, and afterwards a Windows user opens it via Samba, or vice
versa, FileMaker does not detect that the file is open already, but tries
to open it itself. This results in an error, saying that the database is
"damaged".

Does anybody have an idea why this is, and better yet, how to solve it on a
file level (I can do it with a FileMaker script myself, but that's a lot of
work).

Jan Dockx - assistent               ([email-masked])
K.U.Leuven, Department of Computer Science
Celestijnenlaan 200 A 03.28; 3001 Heverlee; Belgium
tel.: ++ 32/16/32 76 56                   fax.: ++ 32/16/32 79 96
<http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~jand/>
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
  "There's some joke making around about some mathematician
   that said that 1000 chimpansees in 1000 years sitting at
   1000 typewriters would eventually write the works of
   Shakespeare. And the snap around the joke is that the Web
   proves this is not so."
                                Kurt Vonnegut about the Internet
                                in "Vonnegut's Timequake; All
                                Things Considered, September 22,
                                1997; National Public Radio"