Subject: Re: [netatalk-admins] Netatalk and volume size calculations...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 98 15:15:01 PST

Systems after 7.5.3 can handle volumes up to 4GB, but AppleShare volumes bigger
than 2GB require a newer version of the AppleShare client to work properly, the
AppleShare client 3.6.x that came with Systems 7.5.3 and 7.5.5 won't cut it. 
There is an upgrade to AppleShare client 3.7.2 somewhere on the Apple web pages
(sorry, don't remember the exact URL) and using this allows 4GB volumes on
Systems 7.5.3 and later.  Volumes >4GB still require System 7.6 or later.  The
AppleShare 3.7.2 client also does ASIP, so if you're using the asun patched
netatalk you get the advantage of TCP/IP connections (they seem faster than DDP
connections, but I might just be imagining this).

Bob Smith
Hammett & Edison, Inc.
[email-masked]

______________________________________________
Original message sent on Mon, Mar 9  1:28 PM by [email-masked] (Typeline
Webmaster) :

To: [email-masked]
[netatalk-admins] Netatalk and volume size calculations...
I've been posting to this list during the past couple of weeks about a
nagging problem with respect to afpd calculating and sending volume size
info
to the Macintosh that's greater than 2 gigs in size.

A few of the responses I've received point to the fact that previous
incarnations
of the Mac OS couldn't mount large volumes. While this is true with
early versions
of System 7, 7.5.3 through 8 have no trouble mounting larger volumes 2
gigs and over.

We're running Power Mac's on our network running 7.5.3 to 8.1. We're
also running
a Novell AFP server that lets us mount over 4 gigs on each Mac. So the
problem
isn't in the current releases of the Mac client OS's. It's Netatalk.

After looking at the Netatalk source (volume.c, unix.c and
afpd-bfree.diff, the latest patch) it's clear the server can't mount
anything larger than 2147483647 bytes (0x7fffffff). This and a possible
case of integer overflow in volume.c seem
to be putting a ceiling on volume size.

Has anybody hacked or fixed this code so bigger volumes can be mounted?
This is very
frustrating...

Bob Badaracco

---

From: Richard Mann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 09:57:15 -0600 (CST)

The URL I found for AppleShare client 3.7.2 is 

http://horton.austin.apple.com/cgi-bin/lister.pl?US/Macintosh
/Networking-Communications/AppleShare

BTW, there is also an update from System 7.6 to 7.6.1, as well as
from System 8.0 to 8.1, under

http://swupdates.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/lister.pl?Apple.Support.Area
/Apple.Software.Updates/US/Macintosh/System

     //\     --rich
    //  \    
   // /  \   Richard Mann -- Network Administrator
  // / /  \  P u b l i c a t i o n  S e r v i c e s,  I n c. 
  \\  / / /  Champaign, Illinois, USA 61821 (217) 398-2060 x22
   \\  / /   
    \\  /    
     \\/

---

From: Typeline Webmaster <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:29:25 -0500

Rich,

I appreciate the links but my version of Netatalk 1.4b2 running under
FreeBSD 2.2.5
will not mount anything larger than 2 gig. The ceiling for volume size
is hard
coded in the source. I thought about applying the asun patches but
decided against it until I've found someone who has gone through the
agony. Also, the asun patch
seems to be too new and a bit immature for us to use now. We'll either
wait for it
to become more stable or wait for a newer release of the Appleshare
version.