Subject: Netatalk routing problems (long)

From: Andrew Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 1996 00:25:02 GMT

Help... (sorry it so long)

My company has about 140 of Macs, split into 6 separate networks (most
now Ethernet only two Localtalk ones left). At the moment we have no
routers (one of the nets has a LocalTalk bridge on it and a bridge to
a Novell net), no AppleShare servers; all filesharing is done with the
builtin peer-peer stuff.

I have been testing a Linux box running netatalk for the last couple
of weeks in the hope of rolling out three of them to provide
filesharing and routing. As an AppleShare server it is working well
(there are a couple of irritating problems with Word and Excel, but
we'll manage with them).

For the last week I have been trying to get routing running (it is
important that I get it working because there are some LaserJets
stranded on some Novell nets that we need to get at from the Macs). So
far I have had no success. I am running Linux 1.3.57 and netatalk
1.3.3, Pentium 75, 16Mb RAM, 16Mb swap, Adaptec 2940 SCSI card, 1Gb
SCSI hard disk, IDE CDROM, 2x SMC EzEther netcards (eth0 on 0x240,9
eth1 on 0x280,10).

The problem is that I have great trouble getting eth1 working (it
makes no difference which card is set as eth1). If my atalkd.conf is

eth0 -phase 2
eth1 -phase 2

then eth0 gets setup correctly and eth1 gets ignored completely (and
removed from atalkd.conf)

If I do something like:

eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 1-1000 -addr 1.100 -zone Pharm
eth1 -phase 2

then eth0 ends up on a different net and node and the zone does not
appear (I thought -seed meant it would not override the info I gave
it) and eth1 gets ignored again.

If I do:

eth0 -seed -phase 2 -net 1-1000 -addr 1.100 -zone Pharm
eth1 -seed -phase 2 -net 1001-2000 -addr 1001.100 -zone Pharm

then everything seems to get set up as I expected, the zone Pharm is
returned by getzones the net and node of eth0 are correct there are
routes for both interfaces in /proc/net/atalk_route . The problem is
that the net and node for eth1 are both 0 (isn't this the loopback
device ?) and I get continuous "eth1: xmit on stopped card messages".

Like I said this happens whichever card is eth1, there are no other
routers and I have tried starting the Linux box up before there are
any Macs on either segment booted.
(all the setting listed above have been recalled from memory, I am at
home at the moment)

Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated, the man page is very
brief and haven't found any other docs on the issue of atalkd; I need
to get this working before next Monday.
-- 
Andy Norman  [email-masked]
<http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~focus>

Linux, everyone's favourite operating system, isn't it ?

 From netatalk-admins-request Tue Mar 12 12:44:08 1996
Resent-Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Replied: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 12:44:02 -0500
Replied: Steven Johnson <[email-masked]>
Replied: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 12:16:22 -0500 (EST)
From: Steven Johnson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Problems compiling netatalk-1.3.3 under Linux 1.3.20
Resent-To: [email-masked]
Resent-From: [email-masked]
Resent-Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 12:44:06 -0500
Resent-Sender: [email-masked]

I am receiving the following error messages when trying to compile 
netatalk-1.3.3 under linux 1.3.20:

<netatalk-directory># make
Making all for linux...

[stuff deleted]

gcc -p  -O2 -I../../include -c asp_getreq.c
In file included from ../../include/netatalk/endian.h:32,
                 from asp_getreq.c:27:
/usr/include/bytesex.h:6: linux/version.h: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [asp_getreq.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/AppleShare/netatalk-1.3.3/libatalk/asp'
make[2]: *** [asp] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/AppleShare/netatalk-1.3.3/libatalk'
make[1]: *** [../../libatalk] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/AppleShare/netatalk-1.3.3/sys/linux'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have already recompiled the kernel to support Appletalk (upgrade from 
1.2.13).  However, I am unable to compile the atalkd and other binaries 
that I will need.  Any advice/ideas on what is going wrong?

BTW, I am using the fine instructions at 
http://thehamptons.com/atalk.html for Linux installs.

 From netatalk-admins-request Tue Mar 12 12:44:14 1996
From: [email-masked]
To: Steven Johnson <[email-masked]>
cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Problems compiling netatalk-1.3.3 under Linux 1.3.20 
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 12:44:01 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]

> From:    Steven Johnson <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> I have already recompiled the kernel to support Appletalk (upgrade from 
> 1.2.13).

Check that /usr/include/linux is a symlink to your current kernel
building area.

:wes

 From netatalk-admins-request Tue Mar 12 23:59:12 1996
Resent-Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Problems with Apple OT and netatalk
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 15:15:48 -0500
From: Andrew Lih <[email-masked]>
Resent-To: [email-masked]
Resent-From: [email-masked]
Resent-Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 23:59:10 -0500
Resent-Sender: [email-masked]

Has anyone had any problems with using Open Transport (1.1b16 and later)
with netatalk on Linux?  After upgrading a PowerMac to OT 1.1b16 it
can no longer see the volumes advertised on the EtherTalk network.

Vital info:

	Server: Slackware 3.0
		Linux kernel 1.3.71
		netatalk 1.3.3

	Client: PowerMac 8100/80
		System 7.5.1
		Open Transport 1.1b16

Any other experiences would be appreciated.

-Andrew

 From netatalk-admins-request Tue Mar 12 23:58:22 1996
Resent-Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 16:42:50 -0500 (EST)
From: A WiZaRD WiTH PLiaRS <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Problems compiling netatalk-1.3.3 under Linux 1.3.20 
Resent-To: [email-masked]
Resent-From: [email-masked]
Resent-Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 23:58:19 -0500
Resent-Sender: [email-masked]

On Tue, 12 Mar 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

> > From:    Steven Johnson <[email-masked]>
> > To:      [email-masked]
> 
> > I have already recompiled the kernel to support Appletalk (upgrade from 
> > 1.2.13).
> 
> Check that /usr/include/linux is a symlink to your current kernel
> building area.
> 

Check out the README in the /usr/src/linux-1.3.20 directory.  My 
Slackware distribution came with the source tree for 1.3.20 already 
included.  I had to change three symlinks.  One is the link from 
/usr/src/linux (had to point it from the 1.2.x directory to the 1.3.20).  
I also had to change two others as outlined in the README.  You can also 
try a "make mrproper" in the /usr/src/linux-1.3.20 directory.  Then do a 
make dep and make clean.  You'll also need to swap around uio.h.  There 
are two copies of this which are different.  Both must be the same.  
Can't remember off the top of my head which needs to be copied to where.

Hope that helps,

[Jason Schlauch] | [[email-masked]] | [[email-masked]]
[http://www.wam.umd.edu/~slush] | [Random thought:]
[What do women want? (Sigmund Freud)]

 From netatalk-admins-request Wed Mar 13 10:02:52 1996
Resent-Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 23:22:08 -0800
To: [email-masked]
From: Dave Fenwick <[email-masked]>
Subject: Netatalk 1.3.3 Not Consistent
Resent-To: [email-masked]
Resent-From: [email-masked]
Resent-Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 10:02:49 -0500
Resent-Sender: [email-masked]

All:

I've got a Linux box with Netatalk 1.3.3 on it, running the 1.3.35 kernel,
which I know to be very stable since I've been running it on another box for
weeks.  I installed the Netatalk stuff on the first box, with inconsistent
results.  Sometimes it shows up on the net, sometimes it doesn't.  Very
strange behavior.

If I do an nbplkup, it shows up in the lookup list.  It sees some of the
other Macs on the net, but not all of them.  Occassionally the Macs can see
the box, at which point things work great.  However, the box appears to
randomly drop from the lookup table for no apparent reason.

We have a Gatorbox running as an appletalk router on the LAN.  It provides
the zone information for the net, and is the stable end of the network
(maintaining the appletalk network #, etc.).

I read somewhere there were some possible problems running netatalk with the
DEC 21040 chipset and the tulip from (bless his heart) Don Becker.  Anyone
seen any of these anomalies?

_______________________________________________________________________
David J. Fenwick                                       [email-masked]
STA Product Development Group                            (415) 728-5333
Quasar Knowledge Systems, Inc.

 From netatalk-admins-request Thu Mar 21 14:51:54 1996
From: Mark Smith <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: atp hanging 
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 14:51:42 -0500
Sender: [email-masked]

>From:     [email-masked]
>  To:     [email-masked]
>  
> ...
>  Once in a while an atp response will consist e.g. of packets 0,1,2,3,4,5,7
>  in this order, then "EOM -- seq num 7  current bitmap 64", then the unix
>  macdump process will request packet 6 again and never gets an answer.
>  
>  This has happened on a Sun, a router and a mac on localtalk with netatalk
>  1.3.1, and on a linux 1.2.1 with netatalk 1.3.3b2 and a mac on the same
>  ethernet segment as the linux box.
>  
>  In your opinion, who is misbehaving here?

Sounds to me like the netatalk machine is behaving correctly -- ATP
response 6 seems to have been lost and the Mac was asked to re-send
it.  Does the Mac send anything at all in response to netatalk's
request for packet 6?  Does a response 6 ever get sent in the first
place?

-Mark