Subject: netatalk performance

From: Andrew Norman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 15:59:23 GMT

What sort of performance can I expect to get from netatalk under
Linux? I am looking to use netatalk machines as our main Mac file
servers (supporting about 30-40 Word and Excel users per server) with
1-2 Gb filestore each. I have tested 1.3.3b2 on a 386sx20 with 8Mb and
old IDE drives(I know horribly slow) and file reads only peaked at
around 75kb per second.

I intend to use a Pentium 75 with 16Mb, Adaptec PCI SCSI controller
(fast but not wide), a couple of 1Gb drives and three NE2000 netcards
(two for two Mac segments and one for an existing IPX network that has
some printers the Macs need to use). I assume I can expect to see
equal or better performance compared to say a 6100/60 based server.
(the servers will also be doing some _light_ smtp, http, pop3 work)

Please can someone reassure me before I through my MDs money at this
one. 
-- 
Andy Norman  Home: [email-masked]
             Home: +44 (1)181 521 1468
             Work: +44 (1)171 316 0001
Datamonitor Group IT Co-ordinator

Any views expressed above are entirely personal and do not
represent those of Datamonitor Publications Ltd.

---

From: Bradley Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 16:31:44 -0600 (CST)

> (the servers will also be doing some _light_ smtp, http, pop3 work)
 
Our system: 
P90
40Mb RAM
Conner fast/wide drive
Buslogic PCI fast/wide controller
3C509 ISA nic
Linux 1.2.13, Netatalk 1.3.3
Used for: Netatalk + Samba ( + light misc. UNIX services)

Tests today done on almost-idle network, PM6100/60 as client.

Copying a large Netscape Cache folder (average file size 7.1 Kbytes):
  to Netatalk server:   4.6 Kbytes/second
  to Mac            :   5.8 Kbytes/second

Copying a single large tar file (18,680 Kbytes):
  to Netatalk server: 242.6 Kbytes/second
  to Mac            : 233.5 Kbytes/second

In our installation, Netatalk performs very adequately for storing user
data files, and for running applications from the server when when the app
loads completely at startup. Applications which constantly refer back to
the server are uncomfortably slow.  

-Bradley Carlson

PS--Are these figures in-line with what others are seeing?

---

From: "Jeremy A. Gilbert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 20:42:54 -0500 (EST)

Bradley,

	I've never done significant speed tests, but if I recall properly,
I've had enough speed to play large quicktime movies remotely off the
server without skipping. My configuration is

	P90, Linux 1.3.55, 16MB RAM
	NCR8600x,xx SCSI board
	1.2 Seagate Hawk
	
	and I was playing it on a powerbook 540c from a mounted 
directory. I would imagine that the transfer rates must have been pretty 
good. I can check the exact speed with copydoubler if you like.

-Grath, Operator of Gryphon     ********************************************
 Jeremy Gilbert (617) 736-2740  * "Don't waste your time waving and hoping *
 [email-masked] *      when a rock or a club will do."     *
 [email-masked]         ********************************************