Subject: Packet filtering in netatalk?

From: [email-masked] (Mihkel Tammepuu)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 11:46:40 +0300

I've got two companies in the same house that both use appletalk as main
network protocol. Those companies want to regularly exchange big files
(several hundred M), but are otherwise completely separate businesses. I
would like to create a situation, where company A has access to company B's
one mac server and vice versa - company B has access to company A's one
server. All the other macs and printers should be hidden for the other
party.
Is there a possibilty to make netatalk do a kind of restrictive routing?
I.e. something like access lists or packet filters in TCP/IP world.

Thanks,
Mihkel Tammepuu
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 09:45:34 -0400

> From:    [email-masked] (Mihkel Tammepuu)
> To:      [email-masked]

> Is there a possibilty to make netatalk do a kind of restrictive routing?

Depends on your OS.  For Ultrix and SunOS 4, there's a flag in
sys/netatalk/ddp_input.c called ddp_firewall.  The default value is 0.
If you set it to something else, it causes the kernel to not permit
packets to cross interfaces on the netatalk router.  Linux and Solaris
don't have this flag, but it's pretty easy to add.

:wes