Subject: netatalk: File/Directory not found

From: [email-masked] (Dirk Theisen)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 13:27:21 +0100

Hello!

I'm very happy to say that we managed to install netatalk 1.3.3
on out Linux(1.3.3x)-Box!

FileSharing works fine, with this exception:

BBEdit lite(3.5.1) sometimes shows Error-Dialogs 
"Macintosh System level Error - File not found" while saving a file!
Permissions are ok.
I also tried BBEdits file search and got many "Directoy not found" Errors.

Anyone else seen this?
Any Idea?

   MfG
           D. Theisen

---
 M&T Online Service                | E-mail  [email-masked]         
 Wilhelm-Ruppert-Str. 38           | Tel.    (0 22 03) 96 34 - 50       
 C52                               | Fax.    (0 22 03) 96 34 - 12         
 D-51147 Koeln                     | WWW     http://www.mto.de

---

From: Eric Eisenhart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 14:42:32 -0800 (PST)

> I also tried BBEdits file search and got many "Directoy not found" Errors.

I had some similar problems here.  (netatalk and Linux, here as well)  I
don't remember the exact error message, but that sounds about right.

What I discovered seemed to be causing the problems was when I went into
those shared directories and changed permissions around.  When I changed
permissions I didn't think at all to do *anything* to the .AppleDouble
directory.

If the .AppleDouble directory:
a) has a corresponding file with different permissions.  (by corresponding I
mean that if you have "foo.bar" in a directory, there will be a
".AppleDouble/foo.bar" file as well)
b) there is no .AppleDouble directory and the user doesn't have write access
in the directory
or
c) there is an .AppleDouble directory, but the user doesn't have write
access to it.

Then it's likely to cause problems like what you are experiencing.

I don't know if this is your problem, but you might want to check to see if
this could be your problem.