Subject: mac-unix translation

From: Frank Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 96 20:58:08 EST

I have noted that when using netatalk to transfer files between a mac an unix, 
some files (in particular, unix compressed Z files) get corrupted.  I assume 
that this is because of automatic translation of <cr> and <lf>.

How does netatalk know when to do the translation, or does it always do it?  Can 
I control it by file extention or something like that?  If you can site a 
reference (a faq not I missed, comments in one of the distrib files) that would 
be great.  Otherwise a short explanation?

________________________________________________________________________
Frank Thomas               1333 Gateway Drive #1017   voice: 407-728-9678
email: [email-masked]    Melbourne, FL  32901         fax: 407-728-9587

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 11:03:38 -0500

> From:    Frank Thomas <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> How does netatalk know when to do the translation, or does it always do it?  

As of netatalk 1.3.3, afpd can be configured to derive the mac file
type and creator from the filename's extension.  The file

	etc/afpd/etc.AppleVolumes.system

has a large list of extensions and possible type mappings.  An example is

	.Z	ZIVM	LZIV

The format of the file is documented in the afpd man page.

Regarding cr/lf translation, as distributed, afpd translates any file
with type TEXT.  You can turn this off at compile time, however, I'd
suggest controlling the behavior with the extension mappings.

:wes

---

From: zinc <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 17:18:51 -0700

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

 > that this is because of automatic translation of <cr> and <lf>.

howdy frank and others,

netatalk 1.3.3 allows you to control the file types by extensions.
just edit the file /usr/local/atalk/etc/AppleVolumes.system to add any
extensions you want.  

this is the stuff i have in my file for unix compressed files:

	  .gz     Gzip    Gzip
	  .tgz    Gzip    Gzip
	  .Z      ZIVM    LZIV

i regularily (nightly) move ~180 MB from my linux box to an optical
drive connected to on of our macs with no problems.  i have even moved
the files back to my linux box this way and uncompressed and untarred
them without any problems.

i guess you might have a problem if you had not defined these file
types.  i believe the default is to treat undefined things as
SimpleText docs which is not a good thing for unix binary files.

hope this helps,

- -patrick finerty