Subject: How stable is netatalk?

From: [email-masked] (Tim Boemker)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 16:45:02 -0500

My department is considering replacing two large AppleShare servers with a
Sun running netatalk's afpd.

Does anyone use afpd for mission-critital, multi-GB/multi-user file
servers, or would we be better off with another package?

Tim Boemker
Optimum Group

---

From: "Gerry.Tomlinson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 12:38:13 +0000 (GMT)

> servers, or would we be better off with another package?

i use netatalk for a lab of 55 IIci's for undergraduate teaching (all
the students' files are kept on a netatalk volume on a sparc 5 - they are
not allowed to create files on the local disk),  and also for around 40
other macs in offices which use it less intensively.

afpd has been very reliable - in two and a half years of use i don't
recall it crashing  nor netatalk causing sunos to crash,

	gerry.

---
[email-masked]
Computing Officer
Department of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Tel: +44 191 222 8139
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU, United Kingdom.             Fax: +44 191 222 8232