Subject: AppleShare for Windows vs. netatalk

From: [email-masked] (Steve Davidson)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 96 10:03:07 -0400

Has anybody gotten AppleShare for Windows to work with netatalk (v1.3.3).  
Here's the full dump:

Our objective: Replace PC-NFS on our Windows for Workgroups machines

Desired solution: Teach the Windows machines AppleTalk so they will become
                  as reliable as our Macs (well, almost), can mount volumes
                  on our Sun servers (SunOS 4.1.3) and print directly to our
                  AppleTalk printers

Software implementation: AppleShare for Windows.  Sold by Apple/Claris
                         (appears to be a repackaging of PC MacLAN by
                         Miramar Systems).  Naturally, netatalk (v1.3.3) 
                         is running on the Suns.

Symptoms: Volumes that should be available to the Windows client (and are 
          fully available to the same user if he tries from a Mac) are 
          grayed out.  User can see list, but cannot select for mount. 
          Mounting a "real" Mac server is no problem.  Only netatalk
          hosts exhibit this behavior.

Can anyone shed light on the reason for this?  Thx.

===============================================================
     Dr. Steven A. Davidson         [email-masked]
     MIT Lincoln Laboratory        
     244 Wood Street                (617) 981-3901 - Office
     Lexington, MA 02173-9108       (617) 981-5234 - Fax
===============================================================
  Comments expressed in this message are strictly my own and
 are not to be construed as statements endorsed by my employer
===============================================================

---

From: "Michael M. Freeman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 16:43:08 -0400 (EDT)

I think this is due to netatalk lack of support for "short filenames"
(MS-DOS 8.3) which is a part of AFP.