Subject: Re: Problems with Netatalk and MacOS 7.5.3 rev 2?

From: [email-masked] (William P. McGonigle)
Date: 31 Jul 96 16:05:52 EDT

--- zinc wrote:
i think this is probably because they are running Open Transport and
i'm not sure if netatalk works right with that... you might try
switching them to MacTCP to see if it makes a difference.
--- end of quoted material ---

Netatalk works fine with OpenTransport, but be sure to check out the
netatalk-7.5.3 patch, and zap the PRAM if this is the first time those machines
have run OT.

I'll take this time to shamelessly plug my linux-netatalk page, which has a
fair amount of non-linux-specific netatalk info.

<http://artoo.hitchcock.org/netatalk/>

-Bill
-----
[email-masked]
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center Computing
for PGP key, see: <http://artoo.hitchcock.org/~flowerpt>

---

From: [email-masked] (Thierry BESANCON)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 22:17:26 +0200

>> Under SunOS 4.1.3, I have seen no difficulty between netatalk 1.3.3 and
>> MacOS 7.5.3 rev 2.  Just for grins, take a look a the login shells used by
>> the errant users and verify that they appear in /etc/shells.  This one bit
>> me first time out.

That's the way it should work. The same way as ftp.
If a user whose shell you changed for administrative reasons to, say 
/bin/noshell, was able to connect to the afp server how would you do
not to get him connected. His login shell HAS to be authorized by the
sysop. Checking it in /etc/shells is the standard way to do it.

	Thierry Besancon