Subject: Solaris 2.4

From: [email-masked] (John Grant)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 16:15:25 -0800

The faq says Solaris 2.4, the readme and the archives all say 2.5.

Remembering horror stories of hard freezes, can someone tell me if Solaris
2.4 is OK for netatalk ?

I suppose better still has anyone got something nice to say about it ? I
used to run CAP until it's lack of modern AFP support (namely fileIDs and
all) became intolerable - then I went to personal file sharing, via a spare
machine - now it's NT, which does a quite fine job, but introduces another
platform.

---
                                John

---

From: John Fulmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 00:23:29 -0600 (CST)

> Remembering horror stories of hard freezes, can someone tell me if Solaris
I'm using netatalk on a Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.4 strictly as a print
server for one Macintosh, probably 25-50 pages a day. Haven't had so much
as a hiccup from it. I couldn't tell you about file sharing.

You would probably want to make sure you have all the latest patches from
Sun, though...

---

From: Lars Kellogg-Stedman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 10:01:20 -0500

On Sun, 22 Dec 1996 16:15:25 -0800 [email-masked] (John Grant) wrote:

>I suppose better still has anyone got something nice to say about it ?

I used netatalk 1.3.3 under SunOS 4.1.1 with ne'er a problem.  It
compiled easily, ran well, and did pretty much what I expected it to do.
I can't comment on it's modern AFP support -- I was only using it as a
server for one or two other Macintoshes.

That said...

I have had horrid, evil problems with 1.4b2 under Solaris 2.5.  I've
mentioned them here, on c.p.appletalk, and to the author; from the
errors being generated in the log files, it looks as if the code is
chopping off parts of filenames -- the net result being that netatalk
can't find any of the files in a directory, so any mounted volumes
appear empty on the Mac side.

Bummer.

I'm running an AFS system, however, and I have yet to try compiling
netatalk without the AFS support to see if this was the problem.

-- Lars

---
Lars Kellogg-Stedman * [email-masked] * (617)353-8277
Office of Information Technology, Boston University

---

From: "J.D. Stevens" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 10:09:35 CST

>You would probably want to make sure you have all the latest patches from

Which compiler?  I was using netatalk with SunOS 4.1.3_U1, but have not
been able to get it to compile on Solaris 2.5 using gcc-2.7.2.  It's been
a couple of months since I tried, but I think it was a problem with
a header file.

I'd sure like to get it running again so that I can use my Laserwriter
for output through a bridge from from ethernet to localtalk.
--
=========================================================
Dave Stevens                              [email-masked]
Houston, TX, USA                         [email-masked]
713-951-1414
713-667-6215                       http://www.stevens.com
=========================================================