Subject: macdump for netatalk

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 16:24:48 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

i'm currently in the process of setting up a netatalk server for 
the Macintoshes at work. Having a semi-automatic backup of the
Macs is one of the main reasons.

I'm now looking at a version of macdump which requires CAP. Has anyone
already ported it to use netatalk (which i imagine isn't very hard)?
Does anyone have experience or warnings, both on using and on porting
macdump?

Morio

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 01:13:41 +0100 (CET)

Hello Bill,

> I did convert macdump at one time - not completely, though. It turned out
> to run no faster than under CAP - at least with the few limited tests I did

I'm still very interested in it. How much work was left when you abandoned
it? Would you be willing to share your modifications?

i've also heard that macdump is slow - how slow, though? With the macs in
question being mainly used for word processing (i.e. lots of hours of work,
not much data), i don't expect daily incremental dumps to be larger than a
couple of MBs per machine, so i'm not worried about speed (more about
reliability, of course)

Morio