Subject: Re: mac-unix translation

From: [email-masked] (Bill Kearney)
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 05:19:32 -0500

At 11:33 PM 3/29/96, Oliver Wrede is rumored to have typed:
> At 11:03 29.03.96 -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
>
> >As of netatalk 1.3.3, afpd can be configured to derive the mac file
> >type and creator from the filename's extension.  The file
> >
> here if someone did already a more extended list, which he is willing to
> post here.
> (Including filetypes of such Apps like Photoshop, QuarkXPress, Freehand, etc.)
>
> Would it be a great to have a little feature in Netatalk which automatically
> creates a file in the AppleVolumes.system-format containing all filetypes
> currently stored on the exported volumes and asking for missing extensions?

Doesn't Apple already have this info available?  They offer a free
registration to developers for all file creator and type flags.  I don't
know where to get it but their web pages might be a good place to start.

Bill

--
Bill Kearney          | [email-masked]                     | Copyright 1996
PO Box 201            | ftp://ftp.digex.net/pub/access/wkearney/ | W.G.Kearney
Lutherville, MD 21094 | http://www.access.digex.net/~wkearney/   | (410)
239-0060

---

From: Jay Pfaffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 08:12:21 -0600

> know where to get it but their web pages might be a good place to start.

I had my Mac Guru wade around and he found a "Type Creator Database
v2.5".  Of course it has no extensions, but it saves probing every
file with ResEdit. . . I think it came from an info-mac mirror.  In
the unlikely event that people have a hard time finding the FileMaker
database and/or want it as a text file, it can be had at

     http://relax.ltc.vanderbilt.edu/~pfaffman/tmp/types.txt 

for a while, anyway.  If anyone is bored or motivated enough to come
up with sensible extension to type mappings, I'd be happy to get them. 

Jay Pfaffman                           [email-masked]
+1-615-343-1720 (office)               +1-615-460-9299 (home) 
http://relax.ltc.vanderbilt.edu/~pfaffman/