Subject: Netatalk not paying attention to permissions

From: Jay Pfaffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 11:19:55 -0600

I've been using netatalk for a while now and have recently realized
that it's not obeying permisssions.  I haven't started tearing apart
code, but it seems that it's not changing owners so it allows anyone
to read or write any file that's below the mount point.  This means
that a user could put a symlink to /etc in his/her home directory and
do things that I might not approve of.  

Oddly, directories that should not be readable do show up with locks
on them, but a find-file will find readable files and folders within
that locked folder.

The messages  I've seen in this list about permissions problems all
deal with netatalk being too restrictive.

I'm currently using netatalk 1.3.3b2 and Linux 1.3.39, but have had
similar problems with some 1.2.x (patched appropriately) and an older
netatalk. 

Any clues will be appreciated.

Jay Pfaffman                           [email-masked]
+1-615-343-1720 (office)               +1-615-460-9299 (home) 
http://relax.ltc.vanderbilt.edu/~pfaffman/