Subject: Re: Anyone successful using papd with Linux to serve a printer?

From: Joe Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 14:17:21 -0500

OK, a quick status report.

Printing is working with stock netatalk 1.3.3 and Linux 1.3.56: I can
print long documents (tried 25pp) and serve multiple printers.

Filesharing is also fine with this combination.

Problems:

  LaserWriter 7.1.2 on a Quadra does not work (starts child but no
  activity, 'lp_print queued' message never appears, nor 'child PID
  done').  LaserWriter 8 on the PowerMac seems to be fine.  I'll try to
  upgrade the LaserWriter driver on the Quadra.

  I could not get 1.3.3 to work (printing, i.e.) with Linux 1.2.13.
  No one else reported success with this combination either; two
  people reported the same problem I had.  The changes to Appletalk
  support added to the 1.3 kernels are not easily merged with 1.2.13.
  I did not try 1.3.3b2 + patches with 1.2.13.  I _really_ wanted to
  avoid the development kernel(s), but so far 1.3.56 has not shown any
  problems.

Questions:

  I can only connect to one Appleshare service at a time.  Is this an
  Appleshare restriction?.  Is there some way to export more than one
  directory at a time (e.g. a public directory and a user's home Unix
  directory)?

  My primary reason for wanting to serve a printer is to share our new
  HP color deskjet.  My plan is to set it up on the Unix machine with
  Ghostscript and have all the Macs (and PCs via Samba) pretend it's a
  color PostScript printer.  Anyone else doing this?  Anyone forsee
  big problems with this?  I'll have to maintain a direct connection
  to one of the PCs though, to do printer maintenance or other special
  HP driver-specific stuff.

Thanks for all the suggestions and success/failure reports.

<Joe
-- 
 Joe Smith
 University of Pennsylvania                   [email-masked]
 Department of Physiology
 Philadelphia, PA 19104