Subject: Performance of Eudora with netatalk

From: [email-masked] (Neil Morris)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 14:40:37 +0100

Hi folks,

I have recently set up netatalk 1.3.3 on a Sun Sparc5 running SunOS 4.1.4.
Compilation/installation went smoothly and netatalk seems to be working fine.

There does appear to be one slight problem however.

We were hoping to use netatalk to share a mailbox between a number of users
(3 at the moment). When a folder is opened using Eudora 2.1.2 we are seeing
what appears to be an exponential increase in the time taken to open the
folder with the number of files in the folder. (The Mac we tried this on is
a Quadra 660 AV running 7.5.1)

For example, we timed the following:

No. of files            Time taken for Eudora to
in folder               open folder (seconds)
------------------------------------------------
60                              5
70                              7
80                              9
90                              11
100                             14
110                             16
120                             20
130                             23
170                             39
180                             43
190                             48
200                             72
210                             91
220                             109
230                             131

One of the folders we were hoping to share has almost 600 files in it and
took just under 30 minutes to open with Eudora.

This problem is not seen with other applications (e.g. BBEdit) where the
folders are opened in seconds.

Has anybody else experienced this before or could anyone shed any light on
why this is happening.

I'm not sure if I have been added to the mailing list as yet, so could any
replies be cc'ed to me.

Many thanks

Neil Morris                                     [email-masked]
JANET-CERT                                      [email-masked]
UKERNA                                          Tel: 01235 822340
                                                Fax: 01235 822398

---

From: [email-masked] (Kee Hinckley)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 17:32:11 -0400

>We were hoping to use netatalk to share a mailbox between a number of users

Warning.  We tried this on an NT server.  All was going well until the day
when user A had folder open, and user B opened it as well, copied several
messages to it, and then closed it.  User A then closed the folder as well.
Messages all disappeared.

Kee Hinckley      Utopia Inc. - Cyberspace Architects    617.768.5500
[email-masked]                               http://www.utopia.com/

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.