Subject: early results 1.4b1 Solaris

From: Jon Piesing <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 10:05:40 +0100 (BST)

Well, I was so excited about the Netatalk 1.4 beta 1 supporting Solaris that
I went and installed it immediately. After some teething problems (machines
locking up) I managed to run the following performance comparison between
netatalk and CAP.

This test is copying a 75MByte file between a Mac (7500/100, 7.5.3, OT 1.1b12)
and a Sun UltraSparc 170E (Solaris 2.5).

First CAP :-

Sun to Mac : 3mins 20 secs

  PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME    CPU COMMAND
  336 root       1  -3    0 1632K  496K run   673:27 35.35% uar
21262 jon        1  27    0 1784K 1352K sleep   0:16 11.76% aufs

Mac to Sun : 4mins 42 secs

  PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME    CPU COMMAND
  336 root       1  26    0 1632K  496K run   674:26 25.35% uar
21262 jon        1  28    0 1784K 1240K run     0:47 16.08% aufs

Then netatalk 1.4b1 :-

Sun to Mac : 2 min 41 secs

  PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME    CPU COMMAND
 2623 jon        1  17    0 1696K 1328K run     0:42 16.51% afpd

Mac to Sun : 4:10

  PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME    CPU COMMAND
 2623 jon        1  27    0 1696K 1360K sleep   0:12 11.78% afpd

It looks like netatalk is coming in about 10%-20% faster and using a *LOT* 
less CPU time (assuming TOP can be believed for time spent in the kernel doing
ddp). The Sun perfmeter utility also shows a lot less CPU used when working
with netatalk.

I'm going to try a faster Mac this evening.

It has to be said that even the best of these numbers (160 seconds) is
only 3.75 MBits/second which isn't that impressive for a lightly loaded 
ethernet. That's probably just AppleTalk I guess.

Jon

---

From: Rich Sudlow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 11:14:44 -0500 (EST)

>I'm going to try a faster Mac this evening.

You'll get your best netatalk performance running on a 68K based
machine. 

Rich

Rich Sudlow
Office of Information Technology
University of Notre Dame