Subject: Netatalk w/ multiple connections, At Ease fW

From: owensc <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 17:29:14 -0500 (EST)

Dear fellow Netatalk'ers,
I've had a few people using Netatalk happily for a few days now, and now 
I'm trying to put it to a more hefty test.

We have a lab of 20 Performa 660 Macs that have been using an NT box as 
an AFP server.  The lab is set up to use Apple's AtEase for Workgroups.  
So, I wish to move the Macs off of the NT box onto my FreeBSD+Netatalk box.

With one mac connected, everything seems ok (I think).  But as a second 
and third mac tries to use the server it will just kinda sit there.  It 
pounds the network quite a bit, and a look at 'top' on the server shows 
that its afpd is using a bit of cpu time, but it never gets through!
Any additionally added Macs do the same thing...

While this is going on, I can connect with two other non-At Ease Macs 
(ie, I simply mount the Netatalk shares with the chooser) and I have no 
problems!  I have both macs pounding away (doing multi megabyte copies) 
and get around 290 Kbytes/sec throughput.

So, this causes me to wonder if there might be a problem associated with 
the use of At Ease for Workgroups itself.  As the afpd man page states:

       Many calls from the AFP specification are not implemented,
       because the Macintosh does not use them.

Could the problem stem from At Ease trying to use somewhat unusual AFP
calls that Netatalk can't handle?  (At Ease is kinda yucky, but I'm stuck
with it for the moment).  Any other thoughts?  How can I best proceed to
trouble-shoot the situation? 

FYI, I'm using Mark Dawson's FreeBSD port with FreeBSD 2.1-stable.

Please reply directly to me as I'm not subscribed to the main netatalk
list.

Thanks,
---
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Charles Owens					 Email:  [email-masked]
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X
-------------------------------------------------------------------------