Subject: Re: problems with new patch?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 May 1996 14:24:28 -0400

> From:    "Rob Newberry" <[email-masked]>
> To:      "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>

> Has anybody else seen this behavior?

Me, me!  I have!

This is a "bug" in the flock() compatibility library for linux.  The
proper semantic is that even within a given process flock() will fail
if a file is already locked.  Under linux (and solaris, which is how I
found this problem), flock() calls lockf(), which says that the
currently locking process always gets the lock, even if that process
has the file locked already.  lockf() is process file locking, while
flock() is file-descriptor file locking.  I haven't thought of a really
cool fix, but I think it will involve having flock() check to see if
the current process already has the file locked.

Sorry I can't be of more immediate help...

:wes

---

From: "Rob Newberry" <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 May 1996 22:46:56 -0400

[this message has been posted, separately, to both the netatalk-admins list
and the LINUX-ATALK list]

Since installing the patch for anti-7.5.3 corruption, I've run into a bizarre
problem.  I can't save from SimpleText!

If I create file in SimpleText, and choose "Save As...", it will simply not
show up on the server.  This problem seems 100% reproducable on a 7.5.3 PCI
PowerMac 7500.  So far, only SimpleText seems to have this problem -- other
programs work OK -- CodeWarrior, for example.

Rob