Subject: Re: Q: using netatalk and linux/tulip-driver

From: [email-masked] (William P. McGonigle)
Date: 11 Jul 96 07:35:41 EDT

--- Mark Rafn wrote:
I couldn't get it to work with the SMC EtherPower 10/100 (21140 chip)
either.  TCP/IP works fine.  nbplkup and getzones show only devices/zones
on my segment (and it should show a localtalk zone on the other side of a
router).  Macs can't see my machine in the chooser at all.  1.3.88 and
2.0.0 are identical as far as these symptoms are concerned.  

I put my old SMC card back in and all works correctly.  There are some
interesting bits in the tulip.c driver code about no documentation for
accepting broadcast packets, but I don't know if this is what's causing
the problem.
--- end of quoted material ---

Just a reminder to check out 

<http://artoo.hitchcock.org/netatalk/>

for information on running Netatalk on Linux.  The relevent section for your
question is:

* I just can't seem to get certain things to work with my (Brand X) ethernet
card.

     There have been reports that NE1500's and "Tulip"-based (DEC
     21040/21140) ethernet cards, such as the SMC PCI EtherPower
     card don't work with netatalk. The usual cause is that either the
     hardware (NE1500) or the driver (Tulip) doesn't support multicast or
     promiscuous mode reception. Many people using the Tulip drivers
     have had success after switching to the de4x5.c driver. At least
     one user reports freezes under heavy load with this configuration
     with a ZNYX ZX312 card. Mike Coleman suggests trying 
					
          ifconfig eth0 allmulti 

     to kick the card into multicast mode.

-Bill
-----
[email-masked]
Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center Computing
for PGP key, see: <http://artoo.hitchcock.org/~flowerpt>