Subject: Permissions? problems crashing some Macs

From: [email-masked] (Kee Hinckley)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 01:35:00 -0400

Running the latest released version of netatalk on SunOS 4.1.3
This happens on both OT and non-OT Macs

Occasionally a user will open a folder, the watch will spin for a long
time, and then the Mac will say that it's not there.  Shortly thereafter
the finder will hang when opening or closing a folder.

Once it starts happening it seems to spread to other users when they access
the same folder.  But some people never seem affected.  I suspect some kind
of permissions problem.  As an experiment I hand re-created .AppleDouble in
one of the problem folders and locked down the permissions so that no one
could write to it - no more problems.

Any ideas?

----

On a different subject.  Here's a reason to keep using netatalk instead of
another solution.  We were having massive crashing problems with Microsoft
Office and Word in particular.  The problem was eventually nailed down to
the following sequence:
        Run a TCP app
        Run Office
        Access a file on the Windows NT AppleShare Server
Even having a NT-served file in the "recent files" menu will do it.
Accessing files on other servers, including netatalk, works fine.

Kee Hinckley      Utopia Inc. - Cyberspace Architects    617.768.5500
[email-masked]                               http://www.utopia.com/

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.