Subject: netatalk w/ YP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 16:59:23 +0100

Hello and thank you for developping netatalk. I'm having some 
problems w/ afpd. I've set up a file server on a DECstation 3100
running Ultrix 4.3A . It's a slave YP server in a group of machines running
AIX (mostly 3.2.x). The home directories are mounted via NFS from a R6000/AIX3.2 on 
the DEC.
Everytime a user from a Mac (Power or Motorola) tries to transfer a file
from his Mac to his home (connecting trough the DEC machine), the AIX where 
his file system resides crashes :-(. It seems to happen when the file is
"closing", rather than during the transfer itself. Does anyone have a clue?

Note: I didn't put the lines of "services.atalk" in the YP master server (AIX).

The problem seems to be whith the kernel in the AIX's.
I'm using version 1.3.3 of netatalk.

              Thanks

         Jose' de Castello-Branco

---

From: [email-masked] (Olof Backing)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 02:29:07 +0100

>I'm using version 1.3.3 of netatalk.

I'd say that this is nothing of concern for Netatalk, since the DEC (where
the afpd runs) is using NFS for access of the AIX system where the actual
crash occurs. It sounds to me as a not-too-stable-NFS at the AIX-side. The
AIX doesn't run any Netatalk code, so why should this be an issue for
Netatalk?

/Olof

WHOAMI: Olof Backing                                  EMAIL:
WHERE:  Royal Institute Of Technology, STOCKHOLM      [email-masked]
SNAIL:  Skarpnäcks Allé 45, 3tr, S-128 33  SKARPNÄCK, Sweden
VOICE:  + 46 8 93 16 19