Subject: AppleTalk Source Distribution

From: Duncan Sinclair <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 15:52:24 +0000

I just saw this article on comp.protocols.appletalk.  It appears
to be a full implementation of Appletalk for Suns, both Solaris 1.x
and Solaris 2.x.

Does anyone have any knowledge of it, and how compatible it is with
netatalk?  It seems it might make a good start for a port of netatalk
to Solaris 2.x.

Best regards,

Duncan.

>From: [email-masked] (Bobby Krupczak)
>Newsgroups: comp.unix.solaris,comp.sys.sun.admin,comp.protocols.appletalk
>Subject: AppleTalk Source Distribution
>Date: 11 Jan 1996 16:12:54 -0500
>Message-ID: <[email-masked]>

Hi!

We've recently updated our AppleTalk protocol source code distribution
to include support for the AppleTalk data stream protocol.  As part of
our research in protocols and protocol subsystems, we have coded an
AppleTalk implementation in the BSD, Streams and x-Kernel subsystems
and then combined protocols from different subsystems using Adapter
protocols.  The implementations have been tested against native Macs
and Newtons, AppleTalk routers, and themselves.  Please read the
accompanying COPYRIGHT notice contained in the distribution.  Bugs,
etc. to [email-masked]

The main homepage for the distributions can be found at:

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/computing/Telecomm/playground/MULTI/outline.html   

>From there you can download the various components.  Below is brief
summary of our work.

Bobby

-----

The Distribution

An example multi-subsystem protocol architecture using the AppleTalk
protocol family and the x-Kernel, BSD, and Streams subsystems is
available. Included in this release is an AppleTalk protocol graph for
the x-Kernel, BSD, Streams (SunOS and Solaris) and a set of adapter
protocols for combining them. Although the adapter protocols are
instantiated for the AppleTalk protocols (ATP, ADSP, and DDP
specifically) they are general and can apply to any protocols coded
within those subsystems.

Each distribution has been tested on Sun/Sparcs running SunOS 4.1.X
(and Solaris 2.4 for Streams) using the underlying BSD or Streams
subsystem native to that version of SunOS. The x-Kernel version used
is 3.2. All AppleTalk protocol graphs have been tested against native
AppleTalk implementations on Macs and Newtons, routers (Cisco and
Gatorbox), against AppleTalk stacks implemented in other subsystems
(BSD, x-Kernel, and Streams) and against itself. The distributions
support AppleTalk Phase 2 and implement (at least) DDP, ATP, ADSP,
AEP, RTMP, NBP, and ZIP (sort of). For more information on AppleTalk
please refer to Inside AppleTalk by Sidhu, Andrews, and Oppenheimer.
Note, the ADSP implementation does not exist natively in BSD but can
be included via subsystem adapation.

The x-Kernel version of our multi-subsystem protocol architecture
relies on a NIT/Ethernet anchor protocol to gain access to the
underlying ethernet device.  The Streams version relies on the SunOS
NIT device also. The BSD version does not require the NIT device be
installed in the kernel.

Instructions for installing the source code in Streams and BSD are
beyond the scope of this document. The distributions for each
subsystem (BSD and Streams) should contain kernel specific files. To
install within the x-Kernel, refer to the x-Kernel programmer's
manual.

Questions, comments to Bobby Krupczak ([email-masked]). Please read
the copyright notice in the file COPYRIGHT contained in each
distribution. An index is given below:

   * AppleTalk Protocol Stack for the x-Kernel (160K)
   * AppleTalk Protocol Stack for BSD (175K)
   * AppleTalk Protocol Stack for Streams (SunOS, Solaris) (352K)
   * x-Kernel (Version 3.2) NIT anchor/adapter protocol for SunOS 4.1.X (27K)
   * x-Kernel, Streams, and BSD adapter protocols (98K)
   * Raw-IP protocol for the x-Kernel (23K) allows one to place the x-Kernel
     above SunOS IP using raw-IP sockets.