Subject: Building netatalk on Solaris

From: [email-masked] (John Grant)
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 1996 19:00:08 -0800

I've had a bit of fun with this. It just isn't sensibly buildable on
solaris as it comes in the distribution (netatalk-1.4b2).

The BSD bzero trio and rindex are littered all over the code. Defining them
out would be great but for the inclusion of ddi.h which externs them and
then ties the compiler in a knot. If this was a user level program I'd just
hack it, but since it goes in the kernel, life could become a little
exciting if I don't get it just right...

So, if anyone has built this on solaris and would care to share the trick,
please do. It's Xmas day and quite frankly I'd rather eat a mince pie, or
three.

---
                           Happy Christmas !

                                John

---

From: "Perry Wagle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 1996 14:57:33 -0500 (EST)

> Date: Wed, 25 Dec 1996 19:00:08 -0800
> To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked] (John Grant)
> Subject: Building netatalk on Solaris

> please do. It's Xmas day and quite frankly I'd rather eat a mince pie, or

% ls -l netatalk-1.4b2.tar.gz -rw-r--r-- 1 wagle staff 262877 Oct 22
22:44 netatalk-1.4b2.tar.gz

I built netatalk-1.4b2 (see ls -l above) on December 9, 1996, with no
tricks that I can recall (don't find any source or make files modified
by me) using the default gcc (version 2.7.2) under Solaris 2.5.  I
recall carefully reading the README and README.SOLARIS files a couple
times.  If it still doesn't go for you, let me know, and I'll go build
it again, and record my tricks this time.

I'm running it on an ELC, which also happens to be my MBONE router,
which hence has special patched ip, tcp, and udp drivers (from the Sun
supplied Multicast 3.5+ mods).  It appears to work "fine" as a
appletalk file server.

The scare quotes around "fine" above are due to the fact that we
(Indiana University) apparently have one of the largest appletalk
networks in the world, which a Novell Administrator friend of mine
describes as "broken for years":

Apparently appletalk routes timeout all the time, and the appletalk
error logs grow fast on Novell servers with messages about routes
appearing and disappearing.  Well, my Solaris appletalk file server
has the same problem, producing hundreds (200-1000) of these a day:

Dec 26 13:16:44 name-changed.indiana.edu atalkd[171]: route: 43712 -> 43296.128: No such file or directory^M

and yeah, thats a control M at the end of the line, grrr. (Note that
the id numbers change..)

But I'm just running it for a couple weeks as a almost-never-used home
directory server to establish a "baseline" of behavior, and to see if
the special multicast routing stuff causes any obvious bugs.  The
machine has never crashed since I installed atalkd on December 9,
1996, and has been rebooted only once (December 16) to clear some
stale NFS file handles.

I have tried nothing but file services, which work fine for me.  I'm
pretty busy doing other things, Real Soon Now, I'll try to figure out
what's going on with the routing and the other error messages.

-- Perry Wagle ([email-masked])