Subject: Scantext 2030

From: Joakim Ahlen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 18:41:49 +0100

Hello there!

Does anybody know if netatalk works with a Typesetter called Scantext 2030?
This typesetter seems to be a quite special one, especially if you want it
working with a PC running Appletalk. I've tried to print to the typesetter
from Phonenet PC, and it worked fine. Everything else I've tried have failed
(except from printing from a true Macintosh). I've tried with Windows NT
3.51 & Services for Mac. I tried Personal MacLan for W95 but it didn't work.
I've tried Personal MacLan for Windows 3.11, and it didn't work either. One
explanation for the problem that i've heard, is that the typesetter can't
handle spooling. I don't know if it's true, but it is a fact the all the
programs are spooling their printers except the Macs and Phonenet PC. So i
heard about Netatalk and thought i'd give it a try. The backside of the coin
was that I had never worked with Linux before, so i'm on good way trying to
get a grip on it now. My questions are: Has anybody tested this typesetter
with netatalk (not likely)?
Does anybody know if netatalk is spooling, and if so, can you disable it?

Thank you!

//Jocke
Joakim Ahlen
Mediaprint, Uddevalla AB
Box 753
S-451 26 Uddevalla
Sweden

[email-masked]
FAX: +46 (0)522 16417
TEL: +46 (0)522 30400

---

From: "Stefan Bethke" <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Feb 1996 10:42:10 +0200

Betreff:  RE>Scantext 2030

I doubt that 'spooling' actually is the problem; I would guess that some postscript commands might not be undersood by the RIP. In this case, you should be able to use the image setter with a proper .ppd file.

Another point of failure might be the PAP protocol; then there is actually litte chance you can do anything about it. If it is true that neither MacLan nor WinNT can't print to it, I would guess it might well be a protocol problem.

What exactly happens when you print? Do you get network error messages (such as "connection lost")? Do you get Postscript errors (... offending command: ...)?

Hope this helps,
Stefan

--
Promo Datentechnik      |  Tel. +49-40-431360-0
+ Systemberatung GmbH   |  Fax. +49-40-431360-60
Waterloohain 6-8        |  e-mail: [email-masked]
D-22769 Hamburg         |  http://www.Promo.DE/

--------------------------------------
Date: 15.02.1996 23:11 Uhr
To: Stefan Bethke
From: Joakim Ahlen
Hello there!