Subject: Can't see GX Printers

From: [email-masked] (Frank Crawford)
Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 19:26 EST

I'm running Netatalk 1.3.3 on Linux 1.2.13 (cnc) talking to a Mac (fpc)
running MacOS 7.5.1 (I haven't yet installed Update 2), printing from
the Mac to Linux and file sharing works okay, but I can't seem to print
from the Linux box to a printer connected to the Mac, even though it is
marked for sharing.  The printer is a HP DeskJet 850C, connected to the
printer/appletalk port and is setup as a "DJ 850C GX" printer.  It works
fine from the Mac.

The output of nbplkup:

                     DJ 850C GX:PrinterShare                       65497.1:249
                     DJ 850C GX:DeskWriterIS                       65497.1:250
           Crawford's MacIntosh:Timelord                           65497.1:251
           Crawford's MacIntosh:At Ease                            65497.1:252
           Crawford's MacIntosh:  Macintosh                        65497.1:253
           Crawford's MacIntosh:Workstation                        65497.1:4
                            cnc:TimeLord                           65280.38:129
                            cnc:AFPServer                          65280.38:130
                            cnc:LaserWriter                        65280.38:128
                            cnc:netatalk                           65280.38:4
                            cnc:Workstation                        65280.38:4

Now, as the printer sharing allows passwords to be set, I suspect that it
is not the normal PAP, but a GX special thing.  (Just as an aside, the sharing
box for "allow non-GX printers to connect" is not available.)

So does anyone have any suggestions of how to access this printer?  The
choices I see are to:

	a) Allow connections to a GX printer,
	b) To enable the option to allow non-GX printers to connect
	   (but how do you do this?), or
	c) Put something else in place (I've tried lpdaemon3.4, but it also
	   can't seem to find the printer, or else locks up the Mac).

								Frank