Subject: Can't run netatalk, what should I run?

From: Paul Pomerleau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 16:29:48 -0600 (CST)

Hi folks:

	I need to replace netatalk.  Could you help me with some advice?

	I've been running 4.1.3 on our Suns, here, and I'm moving to
Solaris in a month or so.  It can't be helped -- I've got a multi-processor
machine here and I need the good multiprocessing support, faster NFS,
etc. ...and 2.5 actually looks stable.

	Anyhow, I've been using netatalk -- since netatalk doesn't run on
Solaris, I need to replace it with something.  Is there any alternative
that uses the same file structure as netatalk?  I don't mind paying for a
commercial package.

	Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Pomerleau				Green 217
Director of Computing			(312) 702-4830
Center for Computational Psychology	[email-masked]
University of Chicago

---

From: Rich Sudlow <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 1996 19:24:53 -0500

>etc. ...and 2.5 actually looks stable.

We've been extensively testing netatalk1.3.3 here at Notre Dame as we
are looking at providing AFS file services to students in their dorms...We
found that there really isn't anything that you can replace netatalk
with. Even if you pay a pile of money (especially if you're running AFS)...

We too are interested in running netatalk on Solaris 2.4/2.5...Given 
our limited resources it was obvious that we couldn't port netatalk 
to Solaris 2.x..So we contacted Sun and their OPCOM center up in Canada
which has been working on porting this for the last couple months. (After all
they've been telling us how easy SunOS -> Solaris migrations are ....right ;-))
The intent is that their Solaris code would be freely available 
(just as it is now).  I haven't heard from them in the last month although I
know that they planned on having this done by the end of January from 
their earlier messages.

Rich

Rich Sudlow
Office of Information Technology
University of Notre Dame