Subject: Re: mac-unix translation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 17:37:19 -0500

> From:    Oliver Wrede <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> Wouldn't it be much wiser to default to 'binary' transmission and to enable
> CR/LF-conversion for .txt files only then?

It's possible to do this.  In any AppleVolumes file (system, default,
or user), the extension "." is defined as the default extension.  One
could have an AppleVolumes.system that read

	.	BINA	UNIX
	.txt	TEXT	UNIX

Or whatever.  That way, each of us can be as wise as he likes.

:wes

---

From: Oliver Wrede <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 13:36:58 +0100

At 17:18 29.03.96 -0700, zinc wrote:

>i regularily (nightly) move ~180 MB from my linux box to an optical
>drive connected to on of our macs with no problems.  i have even moved
>the files back to my linux box this way and uncompressed and untarred
>them without any problems.
>
>i guess you might have a problem if you had not defined these file
>types.  i believe the default is to treat undefined things as
>SimpleText docs which is not a good thing for unix binary files.

Mac Users normaly do not use any File-Extensions, but they may use FTP to
transmit Files and then want to open them via Netatalk.

Oliver

---
. Oliver Wrede . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [email-masked] .
. Academy of Media Arts Cologne  . . . . . .  http://www.khm.uni-koeln.de/ .
. Tel/Fax  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . +49-2203/181189 .
. . .  for pgp key: finger [email-masked] | pgp -fka  . . .