Subject: Privilege violation

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Quick)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 16:52:57 +0000

Does anybody else have this problem.

Running 1.3.3 on Linux 1.2.8

Directory with privileges

        drwxrwx-wx

A user logging in as a guest can read and copy the contents of this directory.

The icon shows as a normal folder whereas I would expect to see a
dropfolder icon. The dropfolder icon only shows if you change to o-x, then
you cannot write to the directory at all which defeats the object.

Trying to save a file to this directory fails but copying a file is ok..

Directory with privileges

        drwxrwxr-x

A user logging in as a guest can make a new folder or an alias in this
window even though it is showing the crossed pencil in the status bar.
Trying to drag a file to this window fails as does trying to save a file.

If the guest then tries to delete the folder or alias it fails because they
cannot make changes.

Now either I've setup Netatalk wrong or there are some serious bugs here.

A quick reply would be nice as I plan to move everything to a Sparc (SunOs
4.1.3) next week and keeping Netatalk would be nice otherwise I shall have
to install CAP.

____________________________________________________________________
Kevin Quick
Computer Support Engineer

Internet Mail:   [email-masked]

     The best thing to run under Windows is radiator pipes
                 http://www-tec.open.ac.uk/

---

From: Jay Pfaffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 09:06:17 -0600 (CST)

I have had similar problems with 1.3.3 and Linux 1.2.x and 1.3.x.  I 
wrote a similar message to the list a while ago, but heard nothing.  I 
feel sure that we must be doing something silly, but I cannot imagine 
what it might be.  Still, it's harder to imagine that all those using 
Netatalk have this bug but don't know it.

Jay Pfaffman                           [email-masked]
+1-615-343-1720 (office)               +1-615-460-9299 (home) 
http://relax.ltc.vanderbilt.edu/~pfaffman/

> A user logging in as a guest can read and copy the contents of this directory.

[  etc. .. ]