Subject: file sharing over the internet

From: Darren Crane <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 14:48:00 -0400 (EDT)

I have a situation where my Linux box serves files to our macs via
netatalk.  This works fine except that our office also has a branch office
in another state, with macs that really need to be able to access our
filesystems.  How can  tell the macs at our remote site to mount the
drives at our server site, over the internet.  Yes, I know this has the
potential to be a real security hole, but it has to be done.

	Thanks
	-Darren Crane
	 [email-masked]

---

From: zinc <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 20:50:37 -0600

> potential to be a real security hole, but it has to be done.

hi,
 
i'd get another Linux box on the other end, NFS export your mac dir
(on the linux box) to that and have the other Linux box share the NFS
mounted directory via netatalk.  i don't see why this won't work,
anyone else have a comment?

-pjf

-- 
"Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin (1773)
			  finger for PGP key
zifi runs LINUX 2.0.10  -=-=-=WEB=-=-=->  http://zifi.genetics.utah.edu

---

From: cyerkes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 20:56:43 -0400 (EDT)

Strangly, the Internet runs on standards based protocols, like TCP/IP.
Note that the letters "appletalk" don't appear in TCP/IP.  The routers
won't pass it.

Now you could certainly get a company that happens to be an ISP to pass
your appletalk from your site to your remote site if (1) both sites get
from the same Service Provider and (2) they are ert (vs inert) enough
to do this.

Item (1) is a Good Thing to have as it allows to you have Guaranteed
Levels of Service to your remote site (it's one Service Provider, the
WAN just _happens_ to be sharing space with the Internet, but one company
controls all routers between your sites).

Item (2) certainly happens.  Candy assed companies like UUNet/Alternet
don't do it that I know of, but Good companies, like ANS and, I believe,
BBN Planet can.  They can also offer the security of a VPN.

Perhaps Frame Relay makes more sense as a WAN???