Subject: problem with NEC Silentwriter

From: [email-masked] (Clif Kussmaul)
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 95 17:18:43 -0800

Hello - has anyone else had problems using netatalk to access a
NEC Silentwriter Model 95?  I've been running netatalk 1.3 without
any other problems (including a number of other localtalk printers),
and the NEC printer does receive jobs from Macs on localtalk, but
whenever I try to print to it from a Sun, or access it more directly 
using pap, I get the following message:

marzen% pap -p "Knight Lab" ~/pic/gnognus.ps
Trying 23190.233:128 ...
atp_rresp: Connection timed out
atp_rresp: Connection timed out
...

Over a year ago there was a discussion on this group about printers 
which don't always send an EOF; I'm wondering if the problem I've
encountered is a similar handshaking problem.  The Silentwriter is
also supposed to be able to attend to localtalk and serial/parallel
connections at the same time; maybe it's getting confused...
(I didn't find anything relevant on the netatalk mail archive.)

Thanks for your help!

Clif Kussmaul

Clif Kussmaul           | [email-masked] | Lots of diff'rent means; 
Center for Neuroscience | [email-masked]  | The end is always the same.
UC Davis, CA 95616      | 916-757-8865 -8827(FAX) | That's evolution!