Subject: NOTE 10/23/95 09:12:00

From: "JThomp01" <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Oct 1995 09:12:09 EST

Has anyone seen atalk (1.3.3b2) on Linux (1.2.8) create ARP storms??
When the atalk daemon starts up, there is a huge burst of traffic, then (it
seems) the routers on the apple talk network respond forever.  I installed
(unsuccessfully so far) atalk, and soon after, our network police came by and
told me that the Linux machine was creating these ARP storms in the apple talk
domain.  I took the atalk daemon out of the rc.local, and it seems that all is
well now.  If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.  I am at
my wits end!!!

thanks for any help

-jor

Jordan Thompson               e-mail: [email-masked]
Aerospace Systems Division    voice:  (407)727-5430
Harris Corporation            fax:    (407)729-2782
POB 5100                      pager:  (407)690-8295
Melbourne, FL 32902-5100

http://www.harris.com/

---

From: Cowboy at Oswego <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 22:19:28 -0400 (EDT)

> seems) the routers on the apple talk network respond forever.  I installed
This may or may not relate:

What I have noticed is that tcp pings across a fastpath will produce 
about 30 arp replies from the fastpath for each ping, particularily with 
fastpaths configured for dynamic tcp assignment..... When I moved from 
1.2.8 to 1.3.20 the behaviour was the same.... 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cowboy at Oswego:  David A. Dougherty  <[email-masked]>
                   Student Systems Programmer 
                   Instructional Computing Center, SUNY Oswego
        HomePage:  http://www.oswego.edu/~ddougher
---------------------------------------------------------------------------