Subject: Netatalk up and running with LINUX kernel 1.2.9!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 1995 01:49:08 -0600 (MDT)

Hi all,

	I'm new here, but to say the least I am VERY happy with Netatalk on my
LINUX system.  I've compiled (gcc 2.6.3) Netatalk into at least 4 different 
versions of the 1.2.x linux kernel with no problems whatsoever.  The only 
problem that I've had has been that my Apple file server (daemon) will shut 
itself down sometimes.  This is pretty much at random and isn't much of a 
problem for me, since I'm not using the file server for any heavy duty work 
yet.  The only questions that I have at this time are ones that have probably 
been asked before here!  

	1.  Is there a more extensive documentation or F.A.Q. for Netatalk 
            other than what comes with the distribution?

	2.  Has anyone played around with shadow password support for the
            AFPD user authentification process yet?  I use shadow passwords
            on my LINUX system but was able to work around this with the AFPD 
            by using the old "/etc/passwd" file as a container for passwords 
            that can only be used with the Apple file server.  The drawback 
            to this is that users have two passwords--one to access the 
            system through all of the normal daemons/servers that support 
            shadow passwords (telnet, ftp, pop3, etc...) which is contained 
            in the "/etc/shadow" file, and one to access the Apple file 
            server (AFPD) which is contained in the standard "/etc/passwd" 
            file that the file server knows how to read.  This
            isn't a very "clean" way of doing things, but it works!

	Thanks,

		Stephen L. Ericksen
		@Utah State University
		[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 1995 14:52:43 -0400

> From:    [email-masked]
> To:      [email-masked]

> other than what comes with the distribution?

Check out "http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/".  It contains some of
the stuff already available, plus a little bit of trouble shooting.
Not much, but I hope to add things as it becomes clear what is and is
not an FAQ.

> AFPD user authentification process yet?

Here's my opinion about shadow password systems:  they should work
*just like* the regular password system, but give more information to
privileged programs.  No one else seems to agree with this, so software
engineers continue to have job security.

:wes