Subject: Alias of netatalk volume not working

From: [email-masked] (Michael McCarrick)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 18:57:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hello again,

I moved my networked Macs to a netatalk server, and I'm very
pleased with the speed of this setup.  But...

My users typically create an alias of the network volume and
leave the alias in their AppleMenu folder.  Selecting this
alias from the menu mounts the network volume.

With netatalk, the alias mount method has a weird problem.  
Very often, if they mount using the alias, the netatalk
volume displays the Network Trash Folder in place of one 
of the other folders!  The missing folder is inaccessable.
Sometimes an alias will mount correctly, but mostly it 
gives this strange behaviour.  If they mount through the 
Chooser, the folders always show up correctly, and the 
Network Trash Folder is properly hidden.  But mounting 
through Chooser takes so many more mouse clicks!

Any suggestions???

-Mike

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Davidson)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 95 17:43:18 -0400

>through Chooser takes so many more mouse clicks!

I have seen a variation of that problem (folders other than the intended
one are opened by opening an alias) and found that locking the alias helps
prevent the remapping of its path.  Give it a try and let us know how
things work out.