Subject: Errors reading MO drive understood (not fixed!)

From: "John M. Trostel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 17:21:56 -0400

I had been trying to read a MO drive containing a data disk attached via
SCSI to a linux box running linux 1.2.13 and netatalk 1.3.3b2.  After I
finally got the permissions set correctly for the MO drive, I would get
error messages when I tried to copy files from the MO drive to the local Mac
desktop.   The form of the error message was:

"The file xxx couldn't be read because of an error of type -50.  Do you want
to continue copying?"

I tried everything to fix the problem.  Nothing worked.  Nothing will!!  The
MO disk is an MS-DOS formatted disk, mounted on the linux system.
Unfortunately, netatalk does not appear to be able to handle DOS disks
mounted by linux.

Will this deficiency be fixed?  In the meantime, I'm wondering if the linux
box could share the volume when it was attached to a remote MAC and the PC
world have access to the disk through the SAMBA server on the linux box ??!!??
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
John M. Trostel                            [email-masked]
GTRI / Undersea Research Project Office            phone:(404) 657-0437
Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA, USA                      fax:  (404) 657-0457
-----------------------------------------------------------------------