Subject: Re: Re$FF2!: help with registering printers using atalk

From: [email-masked] (William P. McGonigle)
Date: 20 Oct 95 17:47:30 EDT

Jor,

I think I see what your problem is, but I'm not sure how you want to solve it. 
OK, here it goes:

This is your nbplkup:

                           gdl1:AFPServer                          264.2:130
                       EPSONLQ2:LaserWriter                        264.2:128
                    StylusCOLOR:EPSONLQ2                           264.2:128
                           gdl1:netatalk                           264.2:4
                           gdl1:Workstation                        264.2:4

See the EPSONLQ2:LaserWriter ?  That's papd registering itself as a
laserwriter.  The StylusCOLOR:EPSONLQ2 is what you've registered.  Since it's
on the same node, the info may or may not be getting to papd - I'm not sure. 
Look for papd debugging output to see if it's getting anything.

The Epson mac driver looks for anything called EPSONLQ2, and sees your
StylusColor, so it sends all its data to it.  It may not be attached to a
process, though, so the data may be floating out to the ether.  

You need to find out what protocol the epson driver on the mac is using.

Laserwriters use a protocol called PAP (printer access protocol) and via this
protocol send postscript to Laserwriters.  papd knows and speaks this protocol. 
The Epson driver may use PAP and it may not.  If it does, you may need to
figure out how to make papd register itself as a EPSONLQ2 instead of as a
Laserwriter.  I suspect that this will involve hacking the papd.c file.

If the driver doesn't use PAP, you'd have to write a new program similar to
papd that can talk this protocol.  Probably not a real simple hack.  Setting up
ghostscript may be much easier.  You'd then print the file on your mac with the
laserwriter driver, it would send postscript to your machine, and then
ghostscript would translate it into epson language.  It seems like a shame to
do that when your mac has a driver that speaks the epson language, but you'll
also gain the benefits of Postscript (like fonts, better resolution, etc.)

I'm cc:ing this message to the netatalk-admins list because there may be people
there who have tried this already.

-Bill

--- "JThomp01" wrote:

The macs have a driver for the printer that formats the output for the printer,
all
I need to do is forward this to the printer.  I think that this is relatively
trivial, but I don't understand the atalk stuff and unfortunately.

here is my papd.conf:
StylusCOLOR:\
        :pr=lp -Pepson\
        :op=jrt:

here is my rc.papd:
        ${ATALKDIR}/bin/nbprgstr -p 4 `hostname|sed 's/\..*$//'`:Workstation
        ${ATALKDIR}/bin/nbprgstr -p 4 `hostname|sed 's/\..*$//'`:netatalk
        ${ATALKDIR}/bin/nbprgstr -p 128 StylusCOLOR:EPSONLQ2@MACNET-128
                                        echo -n ' nbprgstr'

here is my printcap:
epson|epson: \
        :lp=/dev/lp1: \
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/epson: \
        :lf=/usr/spool/lpd/epson/errs: \
        :mx#0: \
        :sh: \
        :sf:

here is the results of nbprgstr:
                           gdl1:AFPServer                          264.2:130
                       EPSONLQ2:LaserWriter                        264.2:128
                    StylusCOLOR:EPSONLQ2                           264.2:128
                           gdl1:netatalk                           264.2:4
                           gdl1:Workstation                        264.2:4

I can see the StylusCOLOR from a mac, I can print to it from a mac using the
Epson driver, and it seems to print fine (from looking at the mac), but nothing
comes out!

I can connect to and use the public folder from the mac (and retrieve files on
my WfW machine by exporting the directory from the Linux machine)

I know that I am doing something really stupid, but the trick it is to know
what
it is!!!

I am really stuck and I can't seem to connect with a newsgroup that can help.
If you have any suggestions, please feel free to pitch in your 2c worth!!

thanks in advance

-jor

--- end of quoted material ---