Subject: Problems w/ 1.3.3b2 & Linux 1.2.11

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 14:20:47 -0700

Hi all - 

I've installed netatalk 1.3.3b2 on my Linux 1.2.11 system, and keep getting
the following messages when I try to start it up:

bash# ./rc.atalk
starting appletalk daemons: atalkdnbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
Can't register wopr:Workstation@*
nbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
Can't register wopr:netatalk@*
 nbprgstr papd afpd.

I've looked through the docs and whatnot, and can't seem to find a solution.
Help ?!

Thanks in advance,
Ken Gieselman
University of California, Irvine
Graduate School of Management
Technical Services
===========================================================================
	     "Diplomacy is the weapon of the Civilized Warrior"
				- Hun, A.T.
Ken Gieselman                                     [email-masked]
===========================================================================

---

From: Joseph Block <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 16:56:31 -0400 (EDT)

Bill,

> --- You wrote:
> My server runs just fine, but I have one minor problem - when I run
> PowerTalk (7.5.1), it won't add the netatalk drives to the keychain.  I can
> access them normally, the system just won't remember the passwords for me.
> --- end of quoted material ---
> 
> Are you using the Kerberos authentication?  I'm not sure if PowerTalk supports
> cleartext/and-or/alternate UAM's.  I'd be interested if you find the real
> cause.

I didn't turn on Kerberos.  As I recall, I pretty much just went with the
defaults when I configured it, and it worked first try.  Not at all like
CAP (:{).  Weird problem I had with CAP - I could mount the servers once, no
problem, but if I dismounted them and tried again, the system would crash
hard in the Chooser.  Duo 230, 6100, 950 all had same problem.  As I was
reading the linux networking group to prepare for a major geeking session
to debug, I saw a notice about netatalk and tried it instead.