Subject: Printing through and Dayna Etherprint box.

From: Rob Willett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 1995 19:12:15 +0200 (BST)

This is quite long ...

I downloaded the latest beta version of netatalk 1.3.3b2 for use on
my Linux box, a Mac Powerbook 180c, a HPII printer (with a 
PostScript cartridge in) and (*cough*) a Dayna Etherprint TP
box. 

Everything apart from printing works find on netatalk-1.3.3b2.

To summarise my problem:

	Linux box running 1.2.7. 
	Dayna Etherprint box running twisted pair.
	Mac Powerbook 180c running 1.7.1.
	HP II with Adobe Postscript Cartridge. Works find via lpd.

	atalkd.conf... 
		#eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.245
		eth0 -phase 2 -net 0-65534 -addr 65280.192

	I did comment out the first line and just put eth0 
	on the second but it seems as if atalkd added the latter.

	papd.conf...

	myhpii:\
		:pr=lp:op=rob:pd=/usr/local/PPD/LWNT_470.PPD:

Using Daynas aecho program I can do the equivalent of pinging the 
Linux box. This works OK.

I can connect to the Linux box via the chooser, start files up all OK.

I can see printers in the chooser and select them though when I try
to print to them I get a message saying "Looking for myhpii" and then
it copies the contents of /usr/spool/lp1 to the message box on the 
Powerbook. I can even change the message in the file and it will still
update with the new message. After a long while it will just time out.
An error message is printed in /usr/adm/syslog.

Jun 18 16:23:29 finale papd[88]: connection timed out
Jun 18 16:23:29 finale papd[85]: child 88 exited with 1

I traced this down to a function call in session.c called session.
It looks as if it's waiting for input from the powerbook and then after 
a certain time it's giving up. 

I installed the same configuration at a clients site (though a real
Appletalk file server and the powerbook could talk through the Etherprint
box to the printers via the file server. Various bits of software
from Dayna think the the Linux box is an Apple File Server. 

Q1 - Has anyone got printing to work under Linux and netatalk-1.3.3r2
     to a non Appletalk printer? 

Q2 - Has anyone used a Localtalk to Ethertalk convertor with
     netatalk? A Gatorbox, a Fastpath or even a Dayna Etherprint box.

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Davidson)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 95 16:18:18 -0400

>     netatalk? A Gatorbox, a Fastpath or even a Dayna Etherprint box.

Yes to Shiva FastPath 5 (for AFP, only), and yes to Dayna EtherPrint-T (for
printing, only).
Note, however, I am using netatalk ver. 1.3.1 under SunOS 4.1.3 so this
probably won't help (worth what you paid for it ;-)