Subject: Linux NE1500 ethernet card

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 12:00:36 -0400

I've heard from several people that the NE1500 ethernet card doesn't
seem to work with netatalk.

:wes

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 11:30:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Steve Hsieh <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: netatalk/linux not seeing into some umich zones 
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII

> > From:    Steve Hsieh <[email-masked]>
> > To:      [email-masked]
> 
> Try the attached patch and let me know if it works.
> 
> :wes

Hi Wes,

I've finally solved the problem of not being able to find my router or 
see the outside net.  It turns out two be two problems that made it hard 
to troubleshoot:

1. my first problem was that my ethernet card apparently can't handle 
something that netatalk requires; I was using a NE1500 card (the lance.c 
driver), and for some reason it wouldn't find our cisco router (although 
as you recall, it found a different one). (Regular tcp/ip worked though)
Switching to a 3com 3c590 PCI card fixed this (3c509 worked too)

2. The nbp patch you mailed me is absolutely necessary to get through the 
cisco router here.  After applying this patch on three computers in our
zone, all three of them can see the outside now. (3c590, 3c509, ne2000 cards)

Thanks for your help...if anyone else has similar problems with not being 
able to find a router, you might want to suggest them trying a 
3com/ne2000 card (though in theory it shouldn't matter right?)

Steve

------- End of Forwarded Message