Subject: capturing printers?

From: Gordon B Lugauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 02:28:49 -0600 (CST)

Hi, all,

I installed netatalk a few weeks ago, have many /etc/printcap entries
printing nicely to apple print spoolers, unix directories mountable as
appleshare volumes, and the like.  What I really want to do, however,
and can't figure out, is to capture the LaserWriters so I can do away
with the apple print spoolers altogther.

Am I missing something?

Also, is their a faq for this group, or any other documentation floating
around?

Thanks,

-Gordon B Lugauer	[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Thierry BESANCON)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 17:26:02 +0100

>> with the apple print spoolers altogther.

If you want to print from UNIX to AppleTalk printers, you need a unix spool
area for the unix daemon to send the spooled file to netatalk pap daemon.

If you have some printers non reachable from Macintoshes (for example
a SUN sparc-printer), you can make the macintoshes print to pseudo
devices that in fact create files in a unix spool area. Your spooled file
is then submitted using the unix way to the physical device.

I don't understand "to capture the LaserWriters so I can do away with the
apple print spoolers".

	Thierry