Subject: migrating from NFS/Share to netatalk

From: [email-masked] (Michael McCarrick)
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 12:51:16 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

We have a small network of Macs (15 machines) currently accessing
a SunOS server via NFS/Share.  This has proven to be extremely slow,
and more than slightly buggy.  I am planning to migrate all users
to netatalk.  

The problem: How to copy all shared files from the NFS volume to
	the netatalk volume.

I could mount both volumes on one Mac, and drag and drop between the
two systems.  However, the shared disk is fairly large (1GB), and this
would take forever.  Furthermore, it would be difficult to maintain
the two systems in case netatalk proves to be a problem (seems
unlikely).

Although NFS/Share and netatalk both maintain their files on the
foreign filesytem (Sun) in AppleDouble format, the location and
contents of the resource forks are different between the two systems.
What would be ideal is a translator to move the resource forks from
NFS/Share to netatalk.  That way, I could copy the files (data forks)
to the new location from the Unix side, and just fix up the resource
forks afterwards.  So, does anyone know the specifics of the resource
fork file used by these systems?  

thanks in advance,

-Mike