Subject: Problem coping lots of files...

From: Lee McLoughlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 1995 13:47:04 +0000

Using netatalk 1.3.1 on a sparcstation 20 talking to an ethernet based
PowerMac 6100/60 I cannot copy a lot of files in one go.

I had a folder on a afpd volume which I wanted to move.  The folder
contained about 30 sub folders and a total of about 2000 files spread
across them.  I tried to drag and drop it to the new location on a
different afpd volume.  The mac counted all the files to copy then sat
thinking about it for a minute or so, during which time the disk the
afpd volume was on was rattling away, then the mac printed out a
message about being out of memory and suggesting I quit some
applications.

I manage to copy the volume in the end by copying groups of files at a time.
The mac was happily able to manage about 1000 files.

Since I had originally copied the parent folder, and all 2000 files, from an
old CAP volume, that I'm upgrading, to the new afpd volume I think it must be
something that afpd is doing on reading the infomation about the files.

I had a quick scan of the include files and the mailing list but could see
this problem mentioned anywhere.

Does anyone know a way I can overcome this?

-- 
--
Lee McLoughlin.                          Phone: +44 171 594 8388
Dept of Computing, Imperial College,     Fax: +44 171 584 8301
180 Queens Gate, London, SW7 2BZ, UK.    Email: [email-masked]