Subject: strange permission failure

From: "Jin S. Choi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 11:06:00 -0400

I asked about this once before, but didn't get a response.
Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or knows of a
fix.

Say I have a user `mac' for network mac access, home directory
/users/mac. /users is not writable by mac, but of course /users/mac
is, and is exported through afpd. Try copying a folder into /users/mac
from a Macintosh and it fails, although you can create a new folder
and copy individual files. However, create a new folder in /users/mac
and try copying a folder into THAT folder and everything works
fine. Another example is to try the same thing in /tmp. As far as I
can tell this is always the case where the network user does not have
permissions in the parent directory of the one he is trying to copy
directories into.

-Jin

---

From: [email-masked] (William P. McGonigle)
Date: 20 Oct 95 16:32:07 EDT

I also had this problem.  It was most perplexing at first.  

I have some directories on a drive, mounted as /gig that are shared as
Macintosh volumes.  The owner of the files is a non-root user, say 'mac'.
I would do:

chown -R mac /gig

and it would go through and set all the permissions.  Then, on the Macintosh, I
would do File...Sharing... on a directory, set the permissions I wanted, set it
to recurse, and it would say:

"cannot save all changes because you do not own one or more of the folders"

or something like that.

I could usually copy files to a directory, but if I tried to create a folder,
it would tell me that I didn't have permissions.  It would then create an
'untitled folder' that I could rename.  Any program that tried to create a
folder would quit with a filesystem error.

It turns out that the problem was that some of the folders had the group set as
'root', and the user isn't in that group.

So, to get it working again, I did:

chgrp -R users /gig
 
and it worked.  (I also reset the owner (chown -R mac /gig), unix permissions
(chmod -R), and also File...Sharing permissions from a Macintosh for good
measure, but that was probably overkill.)

-Bill

--- "Jin S. Choi" wrote:

-Jin
--- end of quoted material ---