Subject: netatalk-1.3.3b1, printing and Etherprint-T boxes...

From: Rob Willett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 23:07:09 +0200 (BST)

I downloaded netatalk-1.3.3b1 from umich and tryed gettin it to work 
with LInux 1.2.7. From the little I've seen working (my fault no doubt)
it looks a pretty good piece of software.  I got the file system working
first and I'll be honest, after seeing all my /home/rob files on the Mac 
I was highly impressed. Just to make things even better I wasn't running 
a straight Mac. I've got a PowerBook 180c running into an EtherPrint-T 
box. This box is a LocalTalk to EtherTalk convertor. It is aimed at 
connecting LaserWriters without Ethernet ports onto Ethernet networks. 
It does seem to allow any LocalTalk device to connect to an Ethernet
network. I installed one at a customers before xmas and they think it's 
wonderful (and cheap) way to connect their salesmans PowerBooks to
the network.

However I can't get printing to work. I can start papd OK. I can use the 
chooser on the Mac to see the printer and can start to print to it.
The powerbook puts up a message saying printing but eventually times out.
The syslog message on the Linux box says that the connection timed out.

Question: What printer drivers do I need to connect my HPII with Adobe 
PostScript card and Parallel port via netatalk to my Mac.

Question: Will netatalk indeed work though an EtherPrint box. My view is that 
it should do. Filesharing certainly does.

Question: What do I do now?

Thnaks for reading this. If anyone does have any good (or bad) ideas
mail them to me. I'm away for a couple of days (FRiday->) but will 
repsond to each and every one.

Rob.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 1995 10:48:37 -0400

> From:    Rob Willett <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> The syslog message on the Linux box says that the connection timed out.

There is a catastrophic bug in the 1.3.3b1 version of papd.  Look for
1.3.3b2 RSN.

:wes