Subject: Question wrt: routing problems...

From: "William C. Ray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 15:34:12 -0400

Ok - here's a description of our messy setup, followed by a
problem description maybe someone knows how to fix...

I'm trying to run a pap/apfd server using netatalk on a Sparc 2,
SunOS 4.1.3_U1.  The network is _very_ heterogenous, with decnet,
Appletalk, whathaveyou, (we've got an unfiltered bridge (not my
choice - network people here are union...). On the same logical
segment, I've got an SGI running CAP 6.0p192, which seems to be
working just fine.

Problem: the sparc's routing table fills up with about a
bezillion routes - this doesn't seem right, and seems to impair
the efficiency of the machine to a significant extent.

Any guesses as to what I've done wrong? afpd, etc all seem to
_work_, but I don't like the several hundred new routes I've
grown, and if the performance hit I'm taking is due to the
occasional appletalk packet having to crawl through the table
and find the right route, this isn't good either...

Any help gleefully accepted,
Thanks!

Will Ray

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 16:14:14 -0400

> From:    "William C. Ray" <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> afpd, etc all seem to

Well, there's no way to remove routes and have netatalk correctly
contact other hosts on your network.  However, it's very unlikely that
netatalk's routing of packets is causing any slow-down on your machine
-- on Suns, netatalk uses a hash table.  Perhaps you're short of mbufs,
i.e. MAXUSERS is set low.

:wes