Subject: Kerberized stuff

From: "Nathan J. Dohm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 16:16:32 -0400 (EDT)

I've been playing with netatalk 1.3.3b2 for a while now, and I have yet
to get any kerberized stuff to work with it.

I'm running it on Ultrix 4.4; afpd and papd both work without any
authentication.  Trying to log in via Appleshare using the Kerberos IV
UAM reports that the server is unavailable.  It is failing trying to do
a krb_rd_request(..) in krb4_logincont(..) -- the authenticator is
larger than permitted (56 bytes, the limit is 40) and when I forced it
to decrypt it anyway, it came out a bunch of garbage.

The AFS UAM doesn't even compile (there are syntax errors such as
missing semicolons) so I didn't bother trying to get that to work.

There is no documentation (not even a readme...) about the Kerberized
printing in either papd or in the Mac "Authenicated Printing" extension.
 I installed it and it screwed up the LaserWriter 8 driver so bad we
couldn't print anything.  It seems to be asking the LaserWriter driver
to reset itself constantly.

I read the mailing list archives and found no mention of any of these
problems; the beta 2 release announcement only says that authentication
will be "completed" in the final release, saying nothing about its
current state.

Is any of this stuff supposed to work?  If it is, does anyone have it
working?  Does anyone have it working under Ultrix?  Please let me know
of any experiences with this software.

Thanks,
Nathan

Carnegie Mellon
ECE Facilities