From: Robert John Churchill <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 19:53:48 -0500

Wes (Craig), I, and a few others are working on an update to papd (the
printing component in netatalk) and wanted to get some feedback.
Please feel free to share your thoughts with us regarding the
following:

1) papd is completely rewritten;  postscript comments have been added
to support Kerberos v4 authentication, provide queue lists back to
Macs, provide job deletion, return the cost per page to the user
(printcap "pc" entry), etc.

2) a klpd (Kerberized lpd) has been modified from MIT

3) an INIT has been written for Macs which, at startup time, will look
for all Postscript printer drivers and infect the PDEF 10 (PAP)
resource. At print time, PDEF 10 will query the destination spooler to
see if it supports the new postscript comments.  If so, the cost per
page of a job is displayed, and if the user decides to continue, a
Kerberos ticket will be obtained via AuthMan and sent to the spooler.

and

4) an RDEV (Chooser extension) has been written to list queued files
and allow job deletion when talking to the new papd.

The postscript comments in papd which support listing of print queues
currently only look in the spool directories on the local Unix
machine... i.e. remote print queue information is not returned to the
Macs.  By only looking at the local spool directories, papd can return
the output in a preformatted form which the RDEV can easily parse.

The problem is that lpd queue output is non-standard and various
platforms return output in different ways, making the output very
complex to parse.

The concern is that many users will not find the RDEV useful if it only
looks at local queue directories on the machine and doesn't support
remote print queues.

Thoughts?