Subject: Maximum user count reached and interaction with gated

From: "Alan B. Clegg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 11:43:25 -0500 (EST)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

I have setup a NETATALK server on the sparc10 at my desk.  I can get 
about 6-8 people using active connections before they begin to get 
messages about the maximum number of users being reached on the file 
server.  I have not seen this parameter anywhere in the setup of afpd, 
and I can't seem to find it anywhere in the code... HELP??

Also, has anyone gotten netatalk and gated to work together?  It seems 
that the current version of the two pieces of software don't play nicely 
together.  The route entries created by netatalk that look like this:

Routing tables
Destination          Gateway              Flags    Refcnt Use     Interface
(16)0 0 0 0 0 0 0 (16)0 0 0 0 0 0 0 UH       0      13         lo0

seem to crash gated.

Thanks,
- -abc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 14:30:57 -0500

> From:    "Alan B. Clegg" <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> and I can't seem to find it anywhere in the code... HELP??

terminator% man afpd
[...]
     -cmaxconnections
          Specifies the maximum number of  connections  to  allow
          for this afpd.  The default is 5.
[...]

> together.  The route entries created by netatalk that look like this:

I'd suggest contacting the author of gated.  It's probably not a great
idea to write networking software that will only work on IP-only
systems.

:wes

---

From: Jeffrey C Honig <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 18:18:36 -0500

> (16)0 0 0 0 0 0 0 (16)0 0 0 0 0 0 0 UH       0      13         lo0

That should be fixed in 3.5A9
(ftp://ftp.gated.cornell.edu/pub/gated/gated-R3_5Alpha_9.tar.Z).  I
ran into that a few months ago.

Jeff