Subject: Converting AppleDouble to AppleDouble

From: Jos van Wezel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 94 03:59:24 +0100

I stumbled over a silly problem while moving from GatorShare (Cayman's
implementation of AFS in their GatorBoxes) to NetAtalk.  GatorShare
writes the resource fork into a the corresponding filename prepended
with an '%'.  So you have '%MS Word 5.1' and 'MS Word 5.1' in one
directory. Desktop information is stored in the 'root' file .DESKTOP.

Since this is pretty standard stuff I thought it must be possible to
warp the whole filespace into the NetAtalk form by creating
'.AppleDouble' directories and moving all '% percent' files in there.

Not so... :-( It does work for programs but files with empty/no
resource fork are not recognised afterwards. They show up with the UNIX
daemon icon. GatorShare leaves 512 bytes in the resource fork though.
This seems to be OK which I understand after peeking through the code
in 'utils' and can be considered as header information.

I'm running 1.3b3 (1/11/94 version) and SunOS 4.1.3. smoothly.

Can someone with GatorShare experience comment on this? In the NetAtalk
code I saw some comments about GatorBoxes which is deffed with PHASE1;
meaning the implementors of NetAtalk know about this hardware and some
of it's software flaws. Maybe they also know why this conversion works
only half. Does GatorShare perhaps store classified information in its
....DESKTOP file?

Sincerely 

Jos van Wezel
System Administrator
VU, Faculty of Biology
Amsterdam
The Netherlands
---------------------------------------
				   ---------------------------------