Subject: Broadcast storms

From: [email-masked] (Steve Sorenson)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 94 14:32:22 MST

I have been running netatalk 1.3.1 on two Sun workstations
on the same subnet.  Netatalk is used to provide printer
service only. Recently, something appears to be
triggering AppleTalk broadcast storms on this subnet.

It appears that if I run netatalk on only one station, 
everything is ok, but if I run netatalk on two Sun's,
after some random period of time, something triggers
a broadcast storm between the two Sun's that brings the
network to it's knees.

Has anyone had a similar experience or have any suggestions?
We are currently trying to monitor the net with a sniffer,
but since the trigger seems to be somewhat random this is
rather painstaking.

Thanks, 
Steve

---

From: Shahrol <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 22:03:36 -0700 (PDT)

> triggering AppleTalk broadcast storms on this subnet.
we might have had the same thing happen.  been scratching our
respective heads trying to find out what had happened.  

we are running netatalk 1.3.1 on a 4/110 - 4.1.3_U1 and a SS10 -
4.1.3, file service only.

-shahrol

---

From: Alex Tang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 1994 15:59:39 -0400 (EDT)

> 4.1.3, file service only.

Hi.  I've only seen this type of storm when I botched the configuration.
When i fixed it everything was fine.
...alex...