Subject: netatalk 1.3.1 and AFS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 May 1994 21:51:27 -0400 (EDT)

I'm trying to bring up netatalk 1.3.1 here, and I'm kind of confused
about how all of the AFS pieces fit in; I imagine a lot of the
confusion is because I'm not familiar enough with how "genuine" MIT
Kerberos works.  I'd imagine that anyone else trying to do this who is
running our kaserver instead of MIT Kerberos would be in the same boat.

The README.AFS file says I have to put a "afpserver.nbpname@realm"
entry into /etc/srvtab.  Doesn't there have to be a service key in
here as well?  What does that have to look like?  Is this actually an
ASCII file I can edit, or do I have to use something like
"make_srvtab" to build it (which I can't do, since we're not running
MIT Kerberos)?

I built MIT Kerberos 4 and installed it in order to get the libraries
and include files necessary to build netatalk, but for AFS
authentication we are using our kaserver (which is kind of an
implementation of Kerberos, but among other things, there are no
/etc/srvtab, /etc/krb.conf, or /etc/krb.realms files).

Thanks,
--Pat.

---

From: "Matthew V. J. Whalen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 15:53:08 -0400

>/etc/srvtab, /etc/krb.conf, or /etc/krb.realms files).

This seems to be a common problem.  Since I installed netatalk I've
already helped RPI and NIH install it too.  If you are still confused,
please feel free to email me or call me at (703) 708-1621.

-matthew

---

From: "Derrick J. Brashear" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 1994 07:49:04 -0400 (EDT)

Excerpts from internet.computing.netatalk-admins: 18-May-94 netatalk
1.3.1 and AFS by [email-masked] 
> "make_srvtab" to build it (which I can't do, since we're not running
ksrvutil has this functionality; You can get it from
export.acs.cmu.edu:/pub/kerberos/ksrvutil.tar.Z, I believe.

-D