Subject: Laserwriter Hiding

From: [email-masked] (Bill Morris)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 1994 17:07:51 -0700

Please forgive me if this is a silly question. I've RTFM'ed all of the
manuals I could find, to no avail. Now I rely on your collective
expertise. I'm trying to hide a LaserWriter (An Apple LaserWriter
Select 360) by changing it's LocalTalk type. Part of the netatalk
distribution, setprintername.sh, implies that this is possible, if
not trivial, and warns that one might have to set the name and
type as seperate operations, due to a 32 character limitation.
I'll admit that I've not gotten this to work. I tried the only
way that I know to delimit the localtalk name & type, namely
by seperating them with a ":"

I'd like to change my printer's name from LaserWriter:LaserWriter@*
to FooWriter:FooWriter@*, so I've tried 

setprintername.sh -Pwhatever "FooWriter:FooWriter"

but I always end up with a printer named "FooWriterFooWriter:LaserWriter@*".

What am I doing wrong?

-bill

___________________________________________________
Bill Morris (Room LS-5)
College of Sciences Computer Electronics Consortium
San Diego State University
San Diego, CA. 92182
Voice:(619) 594-4881 Fax:(619) 594-5676
internet: [email-masked]
___________________________________________________