Subject: netatalk 1.3 with AFS and kaserver

From: "Matthew V. J. Whalen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 1994 11:38:06 -0500

I have compiled and installed netatalk 1.3 with AFS support. I
installed the AFS Kerberos UAM, and now I am trying to configure
support on my kaserver for the authentication.  Since I use the kaserver
instead of MIT kerberos, I don't have and /etc/srvtab, and don't know
what I am supposed to add and how to add it.  Can anyone provide
some insight on what I should be doing?  

Also, I noticed that when afpd has AFS support, it does not look at
/usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd.conf for a list of volumes to export.  Instead
it looks only in users home directories.  I looked at the source code that
handles this but couldn't exactly figure out how it decided to do this. 
Has anyone changed this behaviour?  And if so, how did you do it? 

Thanks to the help

-matthew
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 1994 14:56:08 -0500

> From:    "Matthew V. J. Whalen" <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> some insight on what I should be doing?  

Here's our current thinking on the procedure to create afpd's srvtab in
an AFS environment:

    There is a utility which comes from Transarc called "kas".  It will
    let you create a principle.  It needs to be something like
    afp.choosername@realm.  Set the password to anything, we'll change
    it in a minute.  There is another utility called "ksrvutil" which
    comes with MIT Kerberos.  It will generate srvtab files for you.
    It will prompt you for a password; use a good one.  If you give it
    a -k option, ksrvutil will print the key in hex.  Convert this hex
    string to octal and use it to setkey the principle in kas.

> /usr/local/atalk/etc/afpd.conf for a list of volumes to export.

All released versions of afpd look only in the user's home directory if
they have an AppleVolumes file there.  We have a patch that changes
this behavior.

:wes