From: [email-masked] (Howard Modell)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 94 16:44:08 PST

>From howie  Wed Jan 12 16:42:42 1994
Received: by warlok.ds.boeing.com (4.1/SMI-4.1)
	id AA04477; Wed, 12 Jan 94 16:42:42 PST
To: netatalk-admins
Subject: messages from atalkd!

Wes;

I've been using netatalk 1.3b3 as you suggested before Xmas, and it
does seem to work a little better than b2, but I'm getting A LOT of 
messages out atalkd, and they clutter /var/adm/messages and console
......

they seem to be of 2 varieties, either ...

Jan 10 14:54:17 warlok atalkd[3009]: route: 21856 -> 19065.1: File exists

...... which mostly shows up during boot-up/initialization, and ..

Jan 10 22:42:30 warlok atalkd[3009]: route: 8438 -> 19065.1: No such process

..... which shows up seemingly 'randomly' during the day ..

I can't find any place in the source that produces them, though I suspect
something may be simply passing along a message from something else?

Is there anyway for me to turn those messages off, or send them to 
/dev/null?

Other than this, 1.3b3 is working nicely ..

 Howard Modell                     (206)662-0189
 [email-masked]        POBox 3707, m/s 4C-63, Boeing D&SG
 [email-masked]                 Seattle, WA 98124-2207

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 1994 14:29:39 -0500

> From:    [email-masked] (Howard Modell)
> To:      [email-masked]

> I'm getting A LOT of 

> .... which mostly shows up during boot-up/initialization, and ..

"File exists" means "route exists", when applied to routing.  It sounds
like you've restarted atalkd without rebooting the machine.  While this
usually works ok, it *does* produce a lot of messages, and is certainly
not something I suggest doing.

> ... which shows up seemingly 'randomly' during the day ..

"No such process" means "no such route".  One could call this a bug in
atalkd.  atalkd doesn't keep track of whether or not there is a kernel
route associated with an entry in its in-core routing table.  When
routes go bad, it will sometimes remove the route from the kernel
twice.

> Is there anyway for me to turn those messages off, or send them to 

Just in general, anyone using netatalk would do well to understand
syslog.  As an example, here's the syslog.conf on our main server,
terminator:

--- cut ---
daemon.debug					/var/log/daemon
mail.info					/var/log/mail
news.info					/var/log/news
local2.info					/var/log/named
*.emerg						/var/log/emerg
*.alert						/var/log/alert
*.crit;mail.none				/var/log/crit
*.err;news.none;local2.none;mail.none		/var/log/err
*.warning;local1.none;local2.none;news.none;mail.none	/var/log/warning
*.info;news.none;mail.none;daemon.none;local0.none;local1.none;local2.none	/var/log/info
lpr.debug;news.none;mail.none;daemon.none;local0.none;local1.none;local2.none	/var/adm/lpd-errs
--- cut ---

Along with this, we run a script called "newsyslog" just before
midnight, every day.  It cycles the log files, so we have
/var/log/err.Wed, etc, parses some number of the logs, posts statistics
to one of our local news groups, and restarts syslogd.

--- cut ---
#!/bin/sh
#----------------------------------------------------
# save a week's worth of logs.
#----------------------------------------------------
PATH=:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb
DAY=`date +%a`
LOGDIR=/var/log

cd $LOGDIR
for I in `ls | grep -v "\."` ;  do
        cp $I $I.$DAY
        cp /dev/null $I
done

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# mail the news stats
#	innlog.awk is a set of specific stats, including who is reading what
#	innlog.awk2 gives more general stats
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
export DAY
su news -c "/bin/awk -f /usr/local/news/lib/innlog.awk  /var/log/news.$DAY | mail usenet"
su news -c "/bin/awk -f /usr/local/news/lib/innlog.awk3 /var/log/news.$DAY | mail -s NewsNews umich-itd-stats"

kill -HUP `cat /etc/syslog.pid`
--- cut ---

The syslogd man page is also pretty enlightening.  Sadly, people
running on Ultrix machines don't really have anything like this.

:wes