Subject: Anyone running under 386bsd 0.1?

From: [email-masked] (Robert Crowe)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 93 12:42 PST

Hello,

I need to get netatalk up and running under 386bsd. My initial attempt
at porting has been less than successful, and I thought that before I
went into kernel debug mode, I might ask if anyone out there has
already worked this out, and could provide some patches/hints.

I get everything to compile fine, but when attempting to run atalkd I
get the following errors:

setifaddr: File exists

Which I take to be caused from rtrequest attempting to add a route
which already exists ( rn_addroute fails ).

my atalkd.conf file looks like:

ifconfig lo0 0.0
ifconfig we0 1.1
route we0 lo0
we0 prepress
zone prepress

Which I'm not sure is correct, but I wouldn't think that atalkd would
have a problem with it.  Unfortunately, I don't know much about
appletalk networking, so I'm not exactly what consists of an appletalk
network address. If anyone has a good book to recomend, Id apreciate
the info.

Thanks in advance,

Bob.

============================================================
Bob Crowe                      Voice:   (619) 931-2695
Pre-Press Technologies.        Email:    [email-masked]
2443 Impala dr.		       FAX:     (619) 931-2698
Carlsbad, Ca 92008.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1993 16:10:09 -0500

> From:    [email-masked] (Robert Crowe)
> To:      [email-masked]

> network address. If anyone has a good book to recomend, Id apreciate

Well, as a matter of fact, your ifconfig for lo0 is wrong.  The 4.4BSD
routing model reserves 0.0, so we use 65535.0 as the loopback address.
Try that and see if it doesn't clear up the file exists problem.  BTW,
the other address looks fine.

wes

---

From: [email-masked] (Robert Crowe)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 93 16:31 PST

>>>>> On Fri, 26 Feb 1993 16:10:09 -0500, [email-masked] said:

wes> Well, as a matter of fact, your ifconfig for lo0 is wrong.  The 4.4BSD
wes> routing model reserves 0.0, so we use 65535.0 as the loopback address.
wes> Try that and see if it doesn't clear up the file exists problem.  BTW,
wes> the other address looks fine.

Well, I tried that, but I'm still getting the same error. One thing
I noticed is that I can ifconfig (using the patched ifconfig program)
the interface to 65535.0 ( not 0.0 however; thanks for the info ), but
the ifconfig statement in the atalkd.conf file seems to choke atalkd.

Now if I ifconfig the interfaces via ifconfig(8), and omit the
ifconfig lines in the atalkd.conf file,  then I can do an aecho
65535.0 and get ping results back. Unfortunately, this seems to be the
only address I get results back from. It doesn't work for the we0
address (1.1 -- or any other value I ifconfig it for either ).

Thanks again,

Bob.