Subject: LaserWriter 8.0 fixes for papd anyone?

From: Thomas Tornblom <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1993 09:04:48 +0200

Is anyone working on fixing papd so it will work with LaserWriter 8.0?

I've just got a document from Adobe, "Tips for Writing a Print
Spooler", that describes what a spooler such as papd has to do to work
with LW 8.0. I will hack papd to support this if no one else is doing
it.

Thomas

Real life:      Thomas To:rnblom           Email:  [email-masked]
Snail mail:     Communicator Nexus AB     Phone:  +46 18 171814
                Box 857                   Fax:    +46 18 696516
                S - 751 08 Uppsala, Sweden

---

From: Mark Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1993 09:24:19 -0400

>From:     Thomas Tornblom <[email-masked]>
>  To:     [email-masked]
> 

I made some changes to support the 8.0 driver prior to the release of
netatalk 1.3b2.  I am not sure if all of the changes necessary to
support the LW8.0 driver are done or not, but it does work with the
documents and applications I have tried.

> with LW 8.0. I will hack papd to support this if no one else is doing

Can you tell me how to get a copy of that document?  If you do any work on
papd, be sure to start with the 1.3b2 version.  The changes I made were based
on the Adobe Document Structuring Conventions 3.0 and on observation of the
8.0 driver's behavior.

-Mark

---

From: Thomas Tornblom <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1993 16:31:24 +0200

I got a draft paper, "Compatibility Tips for Macintosh Applications
and the New Postscript Printer Driver", from a friend. I think it is
from either Apple or Adobe. This other paper was mentioned in it and I
attacked the first person I saw from adobe in
comp.languages.postscript ;-). He sent me this paper. I have it
gzip:ed and uuencoded (~82k).

Drop me a note those who are interested and I'll fork it off.

I have brought the 1.3b2 version here and will take it home for some
hacking. I have also done a few mods to parts of 1.3u to map between
the mac character set and ISO-8859-1, which the sun uses. I will try
to find the time to fix papd and send it back to Wes.

Thomas