Subject: applesingle -> netatalk AppleDouble translator

From: Jon Piesing <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 93 09:16:44 BST

When I get email from some people on a QuickMail system, any binary files
they include seem to be translated by the QuickMail->SMTP gateway into
a format called applesingle and then uuencoded. Does anybody know of a filter
on the Sun to translate from applesingle to netatalk's AppleDouble format
so we can get at these files on our Macs ?

Thanks in advance

Jon Piesing
Philips Research Labs, UK
[email-masked]

---

From: Charles Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 93 04:29:15 EDT

> From:     Jon Piesing <[email-masked]>

> so we can get at these files on our Macs ?

Cool.  I'm willing to alter megatron to handle this.  Could you send
me a couple of pieces of mail that have the uuencoded applesingle
files?  Just a couple of small ones should be enough, like a small
document from word or such, and a small pd application or control
panel or such.  A file that has both resource and data forks, as well
as a file that only has a resource and one that only has a data fork
would be the best possible combo.  I have the spec for applesingle,
but it never hurts to have some real world instances.

'Bout time I did some useful coding again.

---

From: Charles Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 93 04:46:03 EDT

> so we can get at these files on our Macs ?

To do so from the mac side, you can put the mail in a file that is on
a afpd mountable filespace, and then from the mac use the program
apparently called tiger.  Here is the listing from the
mac.archive.umich.edu index:
/mac/util/compression/tiger1.1.sit.hqx
  32     9/10/92    BinHex4.0,StuffIt1.5.1

   Decode uuencoded and AppleSingle files.

It is a five dollar shareware program.  I can't really test it to see
how well it works.