Subject: More printing to Apple personal laserwriter

From: [email-masked] (Anthony Koller)
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 93 17:11:23 BST

Re my previous communication - I have spent a bit of time looking at this.
I found what the "indent problem" was - I was missing the pw#80 (page width)
option in the printcap file, and it defaults to 132. So problem explained!
- one for your "useful hints and tips" file as it is a bit obscure.

I haven't managed to finally sort the manual feed problem - but I have found
problems with hanging and having the same job printed multiple times. I think
I have resolved the multiple pages problem. My printcap file was as follows:

lw2|1st floor laserwriter:\
        :lp=/dev/null:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:sd=/usr/spool/lw2:\
        :of=/usr/local/atalk/etc/ofpap:\
        :if=/usr/local/atalk/etc/ifpaprev:\
        :tf=/usr/local/atalk/etc/tfpaprev:\
        :af=/var/adm/lw2.acct:sh:

The "sh" option suppresses the "banner" or "burst" page. Even though the sh
option is specified, the banner page filter (ofpap) is still called - 
presumably with an empty file as the banner page isn't printed. ofpap
then seems to get into a "pausing/restarting" mode which causes the job to
multiple print... I have remove the "of=" line altogether so that ofpap no
longer gets called.

The hanging problem seems to be a protocol or postscript problem - the
laserwriter returns a status of "appletalk waiting" but I don't know what
its waiting for... it eventually seems to give up.

Not a great problem, but if you have any ideas then please let me know. You
may wish to bear this in mind next time you are working on psf/pap.

Regards

Anthony Koller
Philips PPI
Freeland House, Station Road
Dorking, Surrey RH4 1UL, England     Email : [email-masked]
Voice : +44 306 875777               Seri  : ukrkoll@prlhp0
Fax   : +44 306 875779               Profs : prlhp0(ukrkoll)