Subject: Help installing netatalk

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Gallatin)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 93 17:24:33 -0400

I'm attempting to set up netatalk-1.3b2 for the purpose of printing to
an Apple Laserwriter 630 via ethernet from a Personal Decstation
(5000/25) named goya, and I'm having a bit of trouble talking to the
printer.

Basically, when I try to print directly using pap, I get:
#pap -p goya ~/.cshrc
Trying 1049.213:131 ...
status: print spooler idle
Connected to goya:LaserWriter@*.
Connection closed.

And nothing comes out of the printer....

What I have done:

I have patched the kernel on the Dec & rebooted, added the contents
of services.atalk to the NIS master's map and pushed, built the
package, and ran rc.atalk.

On the hardware end, I have no fancy stuff, just an Apple thin coax
transceiver plugged into the back of the printer, connecting it to the
rest of our network.  Is this sufficient?

I have copied most of the defaults files, such as the /etc/printcap
entry, and the .paprc that sits in the spool directory, which I have
made.  My /etc/printcap for the pap printer is:

pap|laserwriter 630 pro:\
        :lp=/dev/null:lf=/var/adm/lpd-errs:pw#80:sh:\
        :of=/usr/local/atalk/etc/ofpap:\
        :if=/usr/local/atalk/etc/ifpap:
        :sd=/usr/spool/pap:mx#0:sf:

/usr/spool/pap/.paprc contains:
LaserWriter 630:LaserWriter@goya

/usr/local/atalk/etc/atalkd.conf:
ln0  -phase 2

Also, if I try to print 'normally', ie lpr -Ppap ~/.cshrc, I get:

/usr/local/atalk/etc/ofpap[5110]: starting
/usr/local/atalk/etc/ofpap[5110]: sending to pap
No printer specified.
Usage:  pap [ -p printername ] [ -s statusfile ] [ file ] ...
/usr/local/atalk/etc/ofpap[5110]: 5111 died with 1
/usr/lib/lpd: pap: output filter died (1)
/usr/lib/lpd: pap: Mon Sep 27 15:32:38 1993: Job 39 aborted
/usr/lib/lpd: pap: open failure (2) of control file cfA039goya.isds.duke.edu

nbplkup gives me:
                           goya:AFPServer                          1049.213:133
                           goya:LaserWriter                        1049.213:131
                           goya:Workstation                        1049.213:4

In case you haven't guessed, I know nothing about the way ethertalk
works, and I'm probably doing something very simple wrong.  Any
suggestions would be helpful.  

As I'm not on the mailing list, please CC any replies back to me 
([email-masked])

Thanks a lot!

Andrew

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1993 16:04:51 -0400

> From:    [email-masked] (Andrew Gallatin)
> To:      [email-masked]

> Connected to goya:LaserWriter@*.

There are two things wrong with the above.  First, you seem to be
trying to connect to "goya", your Decstation.  You should be trying to
print to your printer, whatever its name is.

The second problem is that your .cshrc is probably not in PostScript.
Try sending one line

	showpage

to the printer.

> rest of our network.  Is this sufficient?

Should be.

> goya:Workstation                        1049.213:4

This is all nbplkup shows?  Do you have any ethernet-ed macs on the
network?  Do they show anything in the chooser?  What does

	netatalk -r -n

return?

:wes