Subject: Need Help w/atalkd.conf

From: Bill Earle {AiC} <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1993 18:14:25 -0400

Wes ... Please help!!!!!! ( or anyone out there )

I have no AppleTalk experience and I tried the auto-config thing.
This is what I'm looking at:

- Sun SPARCstation 2 w/SunOS 4.1.3
- le1 Ethernet Interface.  This system is setup as a gateway/router.
- Our subnet contains Unix workstations (TCP/IP) and a single
  Macintosh w/Ethernet card (EtherTalk Phase 2).

I currently installed netatalk-1.3b2.  I need help configuring it to be an
AppleTalk router.  One time the Mac did agree that my sun was an internet
router but could not see zones on the outside.

Here is my latest atalkd.conf.

#
# Format of lines in this file:
#
#    interface [ -seed ] [ -phase { 1 | 2 } ] [ -addr net.node ]
#       [ -net first[-last] ] [ -zone ZoneName ] ...
#
# -seed only works if you have multi-interfaces.  Any missing arguments are
# automatically configured from the network.  Note: lines can't actually be
# split, tho it's a good idea.
#
#le0 -phase 2 -addr 66.6 -zone NoParking
#
le0 -phase 2 -net 1023-1023 -zone ep-RDCS-B1F2
le1 -seed -phase 2 -addr 198.129 -net 100-199 -zone Backbone-EK-EtherTalk

# getzones
ep-RDCS-B1F2
Backbone-EK-EtherTalk

# nbplkup
    RDCS.Kodak.COM SPARCPrinter:LaserWriter                        1023.3:130
                      this_host:AFPServer                          1023.3:128
                      this_host:Workstation                        1023.3:4
                      <Unnamed>:Macintosh SE                       65373.117:253

NASTY ( but totaly useless ) message from Mac inside of local subnet

"You cannot choose a zone at this time because no internet
 router is available."

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.  I really do like the Mac and the
idea of using the Sun as a router/printserver/file server.

Thank You.

  +------------------------------------------------------------------------+
  | Bill Earle                                                             |
  | Eastman Kodak Company                            Pager: (716) 975-7103 |
  | Dept. 5131, 2-1-EP                                                     |
  | Rochester, NY  14653-5108                 Email: [email-masked] |
  +------------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1993 18:36:32 -0400

> From:    Bill Earle {AiC} <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> le1 -seed -phase 2 -addr 198.129 -net 100-199 -zone Backbone-EK-EtherTalk

If you don't need 100 networks, try using -net 100.  There's a bug in
the version of netatalk you're using...

:wes