Subject: Netatalk on Suns running Solaris

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 93 14:42:40 BST

It seems that our Department is likely to be getting some new
Suns in the near future. I am told that these will come with
Solaris 2.1. At the moment I am running netatalk on Suns running
SunOS 4.1.1

I know very little about Solaris and was not involved in the decision
to buy the new machines. Is anyone running netatalk under Solaris?
Are there any problems moving from SunOS 4.1.1?

Thanks in advance for any information.
Neil

--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: [email-masked]
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory,      BITNET: nbc%uk.ac.rl.inf@ukacrl
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon,  OX11 0QX     JANET:     [email-masked]
England                              Tel: +44 235 44 5740  Fax: +44 235 44 5831

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 93 14:11:01 -0500

> From:    [email-masked]
> To:      [email-masked]

> Are there any problems moving from SunOS 4.1.1?

I'm pretty sure no one is running netatalk on suns under anything later
than SunOS 4.1.3.  This is (presumably) the last BSD-based version of
SunOS.  We have Solaris 2.0 running on one of our test machines.  The
similarities to SunOS 4.X are few and far between.  Since Solaris 2.X
is based on SysV Unix, the kernel structure has changed significantly.
Moreover, things like socket(2) and send(2) are now libraries.

The next release of netatalk (1.3) will not initially support Solaris
2.X.  We do hope to have support for Solaris 2.X eventually, either by
doing the work here or incorporating changes from people on the net.

wes