Subject: netatalk vs. CAP

From: Hans Koomen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 93 15:06:34 -0400

Folks,

We are currently running the Columbia Appletalk Package (CAP 6.0, p.l. 142)
on our server, a Sun IPC running 4.1.1, and are using it for Mac file service
(aufs), Sun print service on Appletalk Laserprinter (papif), and mac time
service (TimeLord/Tardis).  Almost all our Macs are on the same ethernet as
the server.

We are getting a new server (real soon now :), a Sparc 10, with additional
disk space, running Solaris 2 (SunOS 5.2?)

Obviously, as we are switching servers, this is the time to switch to
netatalk, if there ever is one.

My question is, can I (does netatalk run on Solaris 2?) and why should I?
What are the pro's and con's of running netatalk vs CAP?

One of the benefits I know already is that netatalk supports System 7 aliases,
whereas CAP doesn't.

Anything else that would justify switching to netatalk?  Would the switch be
totally transparent to users (aside from benefits, of course :-)? Is netatalk
significantly faster?  Does it waste less file space (CAP needs 2 or 3 Unix
files per Mac file, each minimally using 14KB on our 1GB Mac file system)?
Does it support Sun print service?  Does it support/provide Mac time service?

Thanks in advance for sharing your collective wisdom,

- - -	/-/ a n s

	Tel:	(716) 245-5401		Paper:	Johannes A. G. M. Koomen, Ph.D.
	Fax:	(716) 245-5005			State Univ. of N.Y., Geneseo
						Department of Computer Science
	EMail:	[email-masked]		Geneseo, New York  14454-1471

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1993 15:47:10 -0400

> From:    Hans Koomen <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> My question is, can I (does netatalk run on Solaris 2?) and why should I?

Nope.  I guess the other questions are pretty impertinent, eh?

:wes