Subject: File permissions

From: [email-masked] (Chris Debruin)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 93 10:10:41 EDT

Hello all,

   Well I got netatalk up and running on a DecStation running Ultrix 4.3.  Many
thanks to both Wes and Michael Purtell for point out my mistakes.  Everything
seems to be working great.

   The one question I have is related to file permissions on the Unix end.  
More specifically, how do I control them?  What I am trying to do is set up a
group of people that have access to their own stuff and access to a common f
folder (read and write).  I went into the code for "afpd" and edited all the 
permission field that I could find from 0600 to 0666 and 0700 to 0777.  This
mostly worked.  Except that program only writes files as 0644 and directories
as 0755.  Is this a function of the umask setting?  I also remember reading
that Chris Metcalf had a bunch of patches for "afpd" and I was wondering what
they did and where I could get them.

			Thanks.
	
===========================================================
Chris DeBruin, Room 655 E&TC Building
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3801, (607)254-8811
===========================================================