Subject: 1.3b2 & file permissions

From: Patrick Goebel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 93 14:07:26 -0800

I have installed netatalk-1.3b2 on a Sun SPARCstation 2 running SunOS
4.1.1c.  I am experimenting with mounting an afp volume from the
SPARCstation on a Centris 650 (System 7.1) and then proceeding to
create folders and files on the mounted volume while monitoring file
permissions on the UNIX side.

I checked the netatalk-admins-mail archive (last modified Nov. 4) and
it would seem that others have run into file permission problems.  I
was wondering if anyone has found a workaround or patch.

Specifically, has anyone figured out how to preserve the group
ownership of files as they are created under existing folders?  If I
explicitly set GID on a folder (from the UNIX side), then all files
and subfolders created under that folder (from the Mac side) inherit
the group ownership from the parent folder. So far so good.  However,
subfolders do not automatically get GID set so that files created
under subfolders revert back to the user's primary group.  [This is
exactly the behavior reported in one of the earlier postings.
However, I did not find any effect of setting the sticky bit on the
parent folder.]

This behavior is a little puzzling since if you have GID set on a
subdirectory on the Sun, and then use the UNIX mkdir command to create
a subdirectory, the GID *is* set on the subdirectory (although the
permissions are determined by the user's UMASK, not the permissions of
the parent directory.)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
--
Patrick Goebel                    E-MAIL: [email-masked]
Network Administrator             VOICE:  (415) 321-2052
CASBS, 202 Junipero Serra Blvd.   FAX:    (415) 321-1192
Stanford, CA 94305                BEEPER: Temporarily Out of Order...

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1993 18:17:34 -0500

> From:    Patrick Goebel <[email-masked]>
> To:      [email-masked]

> under subfolders revert back to the user's primary group. 

One solution is to mount your filesystem with the option "grpid".  This
will cause all directories to always have the setgid bit set.

> permissions are determined by the user's UMASK, not the permissions of

Yeah, this is presumably a bug in the permission code in afpd.  I'll
look for it.  THe prefered method is still to mount with "grpid".

:wes