Subject: multiple printers with papd?

From: "Jay Plett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 93 13:42:49 EST

Running netatalk 1.2.1 on a Sun4c under SunOS 4.1.3.

The syntax of etc/papd.conf seems geared to defining only
a single printer.  Trying to run multiple papd's, each with
a separate config file, doesn't seem to work--the second
papd logs:
  Feb 16 12:11:58 wolf papd[22192]: pap_slinit
  Feb 16 12:11:59 wolf papd[22192]: initialize: Bad file number (exiting)

How do I make more than one Unix printer available to Macs
using papd?

Please reply directly to me as I don't receive this list.
Thanks a million.

	Jay Plett
	[email-masked]

---

From: Mark Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 93 14:25:17 -0500

>From:     "Jay Plett" <[email-masked]>
>  To:     [email-masked]
> 

Yes, it is true that the current version of papd requires separate
config. files for each instance.  The error reporting during
initialization is also not very good.  I don't think the "initialize:
Bad file number" is an accurate error message.  The pap_slinit call in
etc/papd/common_sources/server.c is failing.  It can only fail if there
is a problem getting an ATP "socket" (atp_open) or if the NBP name
register fails.  Are you using different choosername: lines in your
papd config. files?  I can't think of any good reason why the atp_open
call should fail for the second papd process.

-Mark Smith
 University of Michigan Info Tech Division Unix Group