Subject: netatalk and AFS

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Whalen)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 93 07:30:06 EST

I've pursued this in the past, but want to pose the question again
in case I've forgotten something.  It looks like we are finally going
to AFS.  My understanding was that the netatalk that works with AFS
only runs on RS/6000's.  Is this right?  We are also migrating to
solaris over the next six months (from SunOS 4.1.3) - what are the
chances of solaris being a compatable platform by then?  Thanks

-matthew
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1993 18:22:26 -0500

> From:    [email-masked] (Matthew Whalen)
> To:      [email-masked]

> It looks like we are finally going
> only runs on RS/6000's.  Is this right?

No.  The current version (still in beta, sadly), supports/will support
AFS.  There are a number of people running it on Suns.  I think there
may be a person or so running it on Ultrix, but that's less well
supported for the moment.

> We are also migrating to
> chances of solaris being a compatable platform by then?

Well, hard to say.  Unless someone else does it (and we're more than
happy to integrate ports, hint hint), it's not going to get done.  The
current work plan for the next six months includes adding support for
rs/6ks in the main-line source.  If there is time after that, we will
probably work on Alpha-OSF/1 and Solaris.  Without knowing much about
SysV internals, I am certain that Solaris will be a bitch.

:wes