Subject: atalkd and zones

From: [email-masked] (Jurgen Botz)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1993 11:01:03 -0400 (EDT)

Now that netatalk 1.3b supports Ultrix I was finally able to bring
it up here... and I must say that I'm really impressed.  It's cool,
it's quick, it seems to be much cleaner than CAP and more compatible
with the later versions of Appleshare.  As soon as I'm convinced
that netatalk is stable enough, I'm trashing CAP (which, alas, I've
put a lot of work into.)

Anyway, while things are working, I'm having some trouble figuring
out how to configure atalkd properly (the documentation is rather,
err, sparse).  Specifically, I can't get it to appear in the zone
I want it in... we have two zones on our ethernet, and despite the
fact that my atalkd.conf file says...

   ln0 -phase 2 -net 7-7 -zone "zone2"

when I start afpd it appears in zone1.  Also the example in the 
manual page gives two "-zone" options.  Why is more than one
useful?

There may well be some problems with the way our other routers
are configured... I'm not the one responsible for them.

- Jurgen

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1993 16:44:42 -0400

> From:    [email-masked] (Jurgen Botz)
> To:      [email-masked]

FYI: netatalk-1.3b is not released.  I'll send mail and post news when
it is.

> Specifically, I can't get it to appear in the zone I want it in...

Here's text from the updated man page:

     Each wire is defined to  have  a  ``default''  zone.   Under
     Phase 1, there is only one zone.  Under Phase 2, all routers
     on the network are configured with the default zone.  atalkd
     maps  ``*''  to  the  default  zone  of the first interface.
     Note:  The default zone for a machine is determined  by  the
     configuration  of  the  local  routers;  to appear in a non-
     default zone, each service, e.g.   afpd,  must  individually
     specify the desired zone.  See also nbp_name(3).

I haven't written the man page for nbp_name, yet.  The syntax to start
afpd in a different zone would be something like

	afpd -n @other-zone

The idea is to be able to register services in multiple zones

	afpd -n @zone1 -n @zone2

That codes not written yet either, tho.

> Why is more than one useful?

If you're not seeding a network (which you can only do if you're a
router) and don't have more than one network interface, the atalkd.conf
file is unnecessary.  At some point, atalkd will have code written to
dynamically rewrite its atalkd.conf.  This will speedup booting by
eliminating part of the dynamic configuration process.

If you are a seed router, you need multiple -zone options to specify
multiple zones.  The first -zone you give is the default for the interface.

:wes