Subject: Re: general question about dirIDs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 1993 15:36:46 -0400

> From:    [email-masked] (Jurgen Botz)
> To:      [email-masked] (netatalk)

> How does netatalk deal with Macintosh dirIDs, specifically, what
> happens when the Macintosh specifys a directory only by dirID?

DIDs are assigned on the fly.  They are not saved between sessions.  If
a mac asks for a DID which hasn't been assigned in the current session,
the operation fails.  If the mac asks for a DID which has been assigned
in the current session, but that assignment differs from the last
session, then the wrong directory is returned.

There is a bug on the Mac which is exercised *very* effectively with
netatalk:  If you have a volume name, no matter which server it is on
or which zone it is in, the Mac will always attempt to use the same DID
for the Network Trash Folder.  E.g.

    mount mac from terminator:afpserver@argus
    trash anything
    dismount
    mount mac from ifs:afpserver@angell
    => the first directory in the root is missing, and if there was
    a Network Trash Folder, it is no longer invisible

Neat, eh?  We have a patch which helps this problem by priming the DID
cache with the Network Trash Folder, if it exists.

:wes