Subject: help

From: Glen Cornell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1993 10:53:46 -0400

I'm the system adminstrator at Harris Space Systems Corporation
in Rockledge, Florida.  I've installed netatalk 1.3b on a DEC
5000/240 running ULTRIX 4.3.  Everything so far looks really good.
I have just a slight problem - I can't print.

papd is running and the configuration file is:

# File containing list of fonts resident in printer we spool to
fontfile:/var/spool/lpd/LWPlusFonts
#
# Location of printcap
printcap:/etc/printcap
#
# Directory to store Macintosh procedure sets in.
procsetdir:/var/spool/lpd/papd-procsets
#
# Name to appear in the Macintosh chooser
choosername:Laser07:LaserWriter@EtherTalk
#
# Printer Names:
printer:laser07

The only thing that comes out of the printer is the header page.
I have about 10 HPiii SI's and about 10 NEC LC 890's.  what I can guess
is that the postscript job is getting to the printer but the HP can't
interpret apple's subtle variation of postscript.  (I'm not a postscript
guru, so pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject)  We're running
the system 7.1.2 laserwriter print drivers.

any suggestions?
After reading the mail from this group, this seems like a common problem.
So please e-mail your comments/suggestions to the address below (we've 
got some routing problems) and I'll summarize/repost them.
also, how do I subscribe to this list?

Thanks!
Glen
-----------------------------------------------------------
 Glen Cornell             Harris Space Systems Corporation
 Office: 505              Engineer SW - UNIX Analyst CADCO
 Phone:  (407) 633-3950                             
 e-mail: [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Gordon Good <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 93 11:14:42 -0400

>the system 7.1.2 laserwriter print drivers.

Look in your lpd log file (the lf=attribute in /etc/printcap) for 
some clues.  If the logged entries don't make it obvious, pass
some along to the list.

-Gordon