Subject: Still having printing problems

From: [email-masked] (Glen Cornell)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 93 15:38:41 -0700

Here's the unix server setup:
   DEC 5000 / 240
   ULTRIX 4.3
   netatalk (v 1.3b2):
    atalkd -p 4 `hostname|sed 's/\..*$//'`:EtherTalk
    papd -a -f /usr/local/atalk/etc/printers/laser07.conf
    afpd

afpd is running like a champ (Kudos those who developed it!)  No
problems with yellow page accounts which are nfsed into the
decstation.

my papd.conf file looks like this:

fontfile:/var/spool/lpd/LWPlusFonts
printcap:/etc/printcap
procsetdir:/var/spool/lpd/papd-procsets
choosername:Laser07:LaserWriter@EtherTalk
printer:laser07

my printcap entry is:

laser07|laser printer 07:\
        :lf=/usr/spool/lpd/laser07/laser07.erf:\
        :pw#32767:\
        :lp=:\
        :mx#0:\
        :rm=core1:\
        :rp=laser07:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd/laser07:

Laser07 is an HPIIIsi with postcript option.  

The Mac that I'm testing it is the following:
  Mac IIci
  os 7.1
  3Comm Ethernet Card
  7.1.2 LaserWriter Print driver

The error log on the decstation is empty.
I disconnected the printer and connected a vt100 to the serial cable.
When I print from the mac, everything looks fine on the mac end.  The
file (aside from the CR/LF problem) looks like postscript on the
terminal.  So the job is properly queued.  However, only the cover
page is printed.  The light flashes on the printer (indicating that
it's processing the job), then stops.  

My next step was to intercept the file on the decstation in the
/usr/spool/lpd/laser07 directory.  I used ghostscript to view the
image.  Here was the error message:

Error: /typecheck in --and--
Operand stack:
    -savetype-  true  false  55665
Execution stack:
    operator_403618    --nostringval--  --nostringval--  false  --nostringval--  --nostringval--  --nostringval--  --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
    337/401  4/200

I called Apple Tech support & they said that most commercial lpr
packages for the mac require the LaserPrep file present in the system
folder.  Apparently, this file is supposed to massage the print
driver's output for non-Apple postscript printers.  However, I ended
up with the same results with LaserPrep.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.  
Glenco

 -----------------------------------------------------------
  Glen Cornell             Harris Space Systems Corporation
  Office: B1-540                  UNIX System Administrator
  Phone:  (407) 633-3950                Fax: (407) 633-3900
  e-mail: [email-masked]
 -----------------------------------------------------------