Subject: Ultrix 4.3 Installation

From: [email-masked] (Chris Debruin)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 93 14:01:14 EDT

Hello all,

	I am trying to get netatalk version 1.2.1 up and running on a decstation
5000 running Ultrix 4.3 and I am having a few problems.  I read in some old 
messages that you should be able to follow the same procedure for 4.3 as for 
4.2, but it doesn't seem to work on my machine.  I actually have hit two 
problems which may or may not be related.  The first occurs when I try to 
install the patches.  The patches install fine on all files except 
/net/net/conf_net.c.  The patch program tells me that Hunk #2 failed to 
install.  See the output from the patch program below

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hmm...  The next patch looks like a new-style context diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|*** ../sys.old/net/net/conf_net.c	Mon Apr 29 16:16:23 1991
|--- ./net/net/conf_net.c	Sun Mar  8 22:28:32 1992
--------------------------
Patching file ./net/net/conf_net.c using Plan A...
Hunk #1 succeeded at 235 (offset 2 lines).
Hunk #2 failed at 281.
1 out of 2 hunks failed--saving rejects to ./net/net/conf_net.c.rej

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Close examination of the patch file, the reject file and the original conf_net.c
has led me to conclude that DEC changed the file slightly in the version 4.3
that I am running. See below.

^^^^^^ Old version of conf_net.c (pre 4.3) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
#ifdef APPLETALK
	{NETISR_DDP,ddpintr},
#endif APPLETALK
	{-1	,0}
};

^^^^^ New version of conf_net.c (4.3) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#ifdef APPLETALK
	{NETISR_DDP,ddpintr},
#endif APPLETALK

#if NSCSI > 0 || NSII > 0 || NASC > 0
        {NETISR_SCSI,scsiisr},
#endif /* NSCSI > 0 || NSII > 0 || NASC > 0 */

	{-1	,0}
};

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Near as I can tell, the patch program looks for the first set of line, but in
the new file, they have moved the string "{-1     ,0}" and inserted a few more
lines. 
   To correct this, I inserted the patch manually right after the 
#endif APPLETALK statement.  I think this was the corrrect action, but I am 
not positive.  I also don't know if this is the cause for my second problem.

After the patch problem, I populate /sys/net/netatalk according to the 
directions in the ultrix readme.  Afterward I update the kernal configuration
file and ran the "config" program on it.  I then moved to the kernal 
directory and ran a "make depend" on it to update the makefile.  Then I ran
"make" on it to compile the kernel.  All was proceeding fine, but I got an
error about certain netatalk components being undefined.  See below.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
.....

/bin/sh ../../conf/mips/newvers.sh
cc -EL -I. -c -G 8 -O2 -g3 -I. -I.. -DMUSTANG -DDSPERSONAL_DECSTATION -DATALK -DUWS -DDECNET -DUFS -DNETMAN -DDLI -DRPC -DNFS -DEMULFLT -DINET -DQUOTA -DSYS_TPATH -DAUDIT -DPACKETFILTER -DSYS_TRACE -DCDFS -DLAT -DMIPS -DKERNEL  -c vers.c
loading vmunix
/bin/ld:
Undefined:
atintr
atalk_hash
atalk_netmatch
atalkdomain
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I assume this occurs because the makefile doesn't include the proper 
netatalk source files and therefore can't find the routines.  

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer and send me mail if more
information is needed.  I do have netatalk running on a Sparc IPX here
and have been very happy with the performance.

============================================================
Chris DeBruin, Room 655 E&TC Building                    
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853-3801, (607)254-8811 
============================================================

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1993 14:18:08 -0400

> From:    [email-masked] (Chris Debruin)
> To:      [email-masked]

> #endif /* NSCSI > 0 || NSII > 0 || NASC > 0 */

Sounds to me like some sort of SCSI networking has been added.  It's
possible that this is 5000 specific, tho the 5000s I have access to
don't seem to have this stuff.

> netatalk source files and therefore can't find the routines.  

I'd guess that your config file is missing a line, either "options
ATALK" or "pseudo-device atalk".  The missing symbols are all those
used in conf_net.c and if_to_proto_data.c, which are always included,
but defined in netatalk/*.  You might also take a look at conf/files.

:wes