Subject: Can Netatalk Help Me???

From: "Mark E. Leiker {Sun Microsystems}" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1993 16:53:52 -0400

I am a Unix system administrator who is interested in finding out more about
Netatalk.

Someone suggested that I look into your product as possibly meeting my
requirements.  I have the following configuration:

	- Sun SPARCstation 2 w/SunOS 4.1.3
	- le1 Ethernet Interface.  This system is setup as a gateway/router.
	- Our subnet contains Unix workstations (TCP/IP) and a single
	  Macintosh w/Ethernet card (EtherTalk Phase 2).

I would like the Mac to be able to "see" the zones outside of our subnet.  I
have been told that whatever software I install on the Sun gateway/router
would have to support EtherTalk Phase 2 AND routing.

I am NOT very familiar with Mac configuration or protocols, so I hope that
this description is complete and accurate.  I appreciate any help that you can
provide.  I also hope that your product "fits the bill".

Thank you.

  +------------------------------------------------------------------------+
  | Mark E. Leiker                                   Phone: (716) 726-9413 |
  | Eastman Kodak Company                            Pager: (716) 781-2485 |
  | Dept. 5131, 2-1-EP                                                     |
  | Rochester, NY  14653-5108                 Email: [email-masked] |
  +------------------------------------------------------------------------+

   Too much of a good thing is WONDERFUL.
   		-- Mae West

---

From: "Arnd van Dornick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 93 14:57:36 +0200

> 	  Macintosh w/Ethernet card (EtherTalk Phase 2).

Exactly our configuration, i've a MacIIci, a Centris650, a Quadra950 and a 
PowerBook over Dynatalk Adapter on our network. Also we using HP-LaserJet 
printers, the LJ-II and LJ-III with PacificPage PostScript emulator and the 
LJ-4D with PostScript option. 

You should use the patch for the Apple LaserPrinter Driver called the 'DMM LW 
7.x Stuff' from Donald Markuson. It was on ftp with the name
'DMM_LW_7.x_Stuff_1.3.1.sit.hqx'. Call archie for your nearest location of it. 
It handles 'Fonts' and 'PostScript Dictionaries' and has the completest and 
understandable documentation of how a mac produces postscript i've ever readed.
There are also a version for the Version-5 and -6 LaserWriter Drivers.

I'm using the well tested version 1.21 of netatalk on a Sun SPARCstation with 
1GB disk and 32MB memory. Netatalk uses 1/2MB kernel memory and 1MB on disk :-)
On an empty network, my thoughput is 250kb/s between the sparc and my 
centris650, with a comercial nfs product we used befor, it was around 80kb/s ;-)

Cause version 1.21 support only phase 1 appletalk we had to swich back to phase 
1 for all the macs, without a problem. The netatalk version 1.3, whitch is in 
second beta test now, has support for phase 2 appletalk, as you use.

Two problems note on netatalk: 

1) The gated version 3.0 does not run on same machine as netatalk 1.21, maybe 
the gated tries to interpret the kernel routing tables of netatalk. I hope 
version 1.3 will revert this problem. For now, we using an other unix box with 
gated. Netatalk runs without any problem with nfs, gopher, www, dns, yp and 
other servers on the same unix box.

2) The umask used in unix hase no equivalent in the mac-os , so acces rights is 
a problem for netatalk 1.21. The netatalk daemon assumes minimum rights for 
every new file a mac user creates on a unix host, not very group-working 
friendly. Well, a mac user can change the access rights of his files. There are 
patches for an other behaviour. The next version 1.3 will give a consistent 
behaviour for acces rights of mac files on a unix server, ie. the same or very 
similar behaviour as on an apple file server.

For now, i have no other appletalk zones in our network, but netatalk can handle
multiple zones as well.
 
> this description is complete and accurate.  I appreciate any help that you 
> can provide.  I also hope that your product "fits the bill".

I'm famillar with unix and apple protocols and your description
was complete enought. You realy need not to be familar with the 
apple protokolls to use netatalk;

just read and follow the well written README file, say 
 tar xf netatalk.tar; make; make install 
and go! 

conclusion:

very easy to go, no 'CAP' patch-wars, runs on the very first try,
will get even better on next version, fits verry well in any bill ...
 
> Thank you.

no problem :-)

yours,
arnd van dornick

ps: it is wonderfull, is'n it ?

+- Arnd van Dornick - TU-Berlin,   TUBKOM Netzbetriebsprojekt    -+
   Sekretariat EN-05,	             Einsteinufer 17,10587 Berlin 
   Tel:    +49 (0)30 314-21700     Fax:		+49 (0)30 314-25986
+- Email:		[email-masked]                                 -+