Subject: Re: problems using netatalk

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 May 1993 10:04:28 +0100

Hi again,

>> From:    [email-masked]
>> To:      [email-masked]
>
>> I can't see my SUN from my Mac (also connected to Ethernet).
>
>This is interesting.  Did you look in zones other than BackboneET?
>1.3a is not real deterministic about what zone names appear in.

Ooops! On the Ethernet we have two zones and my SUN appears in the "wrong".
Hey, that's bad! I told netatalk to use BackboneET!!!!!!

> [deleted]....
>> le0 -phase 2 -net 129 -zone BackboneET
>> # Why do I have to specify "-net 129" ?
>> # Shouldn't netatalk be able to determine this by itself?
>
>You don't have to specify -net.  atalkd will determine the network, the
>range, and a zone list.

If I specify -zone without -net, atalkd won't get started!
("Must specify networks before zones." it claims.) Hm, do you
work on the code to use the specified zone? 

--cla

P.S.: Hey, netatalk is much faster and much easier to install than CAP.
      (If it would like to use the zone I told it.)
**********************************************************
German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)
Claus Riemann (I3.MMK)           Phone: (+49 2241) 14-2865
Postfach 1316                       [email-masked]
5205 Sankt Augustin 1              Don't dream it - Be it!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 May 1993 15:04:50 -0400

> ("Must specify networks before zones." it claims.)
> Hm, do you work on the code to use the specified zone? 

We're working on something, tho not on exactly what you seem to ask.

You misunderstand what the -zone flag does in atalk.conf.  It is there
to tell atalkd what the zone list (and the default zone) is for the
given wire.  This is why you get the "Must specify networks" error.  It
does not imply anything about the zone for afpd et al.  The code
doesn't currently support this, but the intension is that you will
specify afpd's zone on the command line for afpd. E.g.

	afpd -n @BackboneET

would register hostname:AFPSever@BackboneET.  This way, you could
register in multiple zones, or have different names in different zones,
or have your printspooler in one zone and your fileserver in another.

:wes