Subject: LocalTalk hosts can't see AppleShare server thru atalkd

From: Jeff Makey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 93 17:59:33 PST

Without difficulty I compiled and installed atalkd on a SPARCstation
IPC with 2 active ethernet ports.  One port (le1) is connected to my
main TCP/IP+EtherTalk wire, and the other (le0) to an IP subnet to
which I have connected a Quadra 700.  Everything works fine for the
Macintoshes that are connected to EtherTalk, but none of my LocalTalk
Macs can see the AppleShare server on the other side of atalkd.

Running etherfind(8C) on the two ethernets shows traffic between the
GatorBox and the atalkd host when I click the AppleShare icon in the
Chooser on a LocalTalk host, but there is no corresponding traffic on
the other side.  This leads me to conclude that atalkd is somehow
filtering out the packets that are asking for AppleShare servers.

Any clues as to how I can fix this?  Here are a bunch of possibly
relevant details:

This version of atalkd is from the netatalk-1.3b2 distribution.

/etc/atalkd.conf:

    le1
    le0 -seed -phase 2 -net 20501-20501 -zone "San Diego"

All AppleTalk networks are in the San Diego zone; all are Phase 2.
The EtherTalk <-> LocalTalk gateway is a GatorBox classic running
GatorShare 2.1.  The SPARCstation IPC is running SunOS 4.1.1b.  The
Quadra 700 is running System 7.0.1 (with TuneUp), the 7.0.1 EtherTalk
drivers, and AppleTalk 57.0.3.

                        :: Jeff Makey
                           Computer Network Manager
                           [email-masked]

---

From: Jeff Makey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 93 18:04:12 PST

My problem with LocalTalk hosts being unable to see AppleShare servers
through atalkd had a two-part solution:

The first step (thanks to [email-masked]) is to get and
install version 1.3b3 of netatalk from ~ftp/pub/n-13b3.tar.Z on
terminator.rs.itd.umich.edu.

The second step (of my own invention) is to change the atalkd.conf
file to specify non-seed zone information on interfaces that already
have EtherTalk traffic.  In my case, my atalkd.conf file changed from

    le1

to

    le1 -phase 2 -net 20500-20500 -zone "San Diego" -zone "Twilight Zone"
    le0 -seed -phase 2 -net 20501-20501 -zone "San Diego"

These changes, combined with a final reboot of the routing
SPARCstation to clean everything up, have resulted in the desired
extension of my EtherTalk network past an IP gateway.  I assume that
other minor problems (such as the awful output of "netstat -r" on the
gateway) will be dealt with as the software matures.

                        :: Jeff Makey
                           [email-masked]