Subject: Will papd work with a SPARCprinter?

From: "Jon J. Brewster" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 93 15:21:32 EDT

Version:   netatalk 1.2.1
Hardware:  SPARC 10/41
OS:        SunOS 4.1.3
NeWSprint: 2.1B

The above configuration has been running very smoothly for about a month;
the original intent was to allow Unix users to print to a number of
AppleTalk-connected Apple LaserWriters.  Now I would like to allow the Mac
users to use our spiffy new SPARCprinter, connected to the same machine.

Attempts to send a Mac print job to the SPARC printer result in some rather
obscure PostScript-looking incantations out of NeWSprint -- one begins with
the line:

%%[exitserver: permanent state may be changed]%%
%%[Error: Message: process(0x29da9c, 'Unamed process', runnable)
Error: /undefined
Command: <many lines of hex deleted>

and another the same except for the Command: is "md".

Are there folks out there who are successfully driving a SPARC printer
from papd?  

All clues, RTFM's (with citations) etc. cheerfully accepted

Jon Brewster
-- 
 [email-masked]      |  Do not meddle in the affairs of troff, 
 ...umich!wsu-cs!jjb   |  for it is subtle and quick to anger.

---

From: Mark Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1993 17:27:52 -0400

>From:     "Jon J. Brewster" <[email-masked]>
>  To:     [email-masked]
>
> obscure PostScript-looking incantations out of NeWSprint...

What version of the LaserWriter driver are the Macs using to print?  It
sounds like either something in the Postscript job is LaserWriter-specific
(and this not agreeable to NeWSPrint) or something is mangling the job.
One thing you can try is changing the lines in papd/lp.c that set up the
control file to use 'f' instead of a 'l' where the files to print are
specified; this is rumored to make things work better when printing to
NeXT attached printers.  The two lines in papd/lp.c that you should change
are line 189 and 194.  They both start out as "addcfentry( 'l', ...)";
simply change the 'l' to 'f'.  In netatalk 1.3b, the lines are one further
into the file (190 and 195).

Alternatively, you could get the new Apple LaserWriter 8.0 driver and set
it up with a ppd file for NeWSPrint and your SPARCPrinter.  That might
work better (or not).

-Mark

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 93 16:21:54 EDT

> obscure PostScript-looking incantations out of NeWSprint -- one begins with
etc.

I tried the change to lp.c which Mark Smith suggested, but no joy.  I found
today that a Mac running System 7 works fine.  Apparently the LW driver at
level 6.8 contains some rude PostScript or something, to which our NeWSprint
software takes exception :-O