Subject: Performance specs

From: [email-masked] (David M. Fisher)
Date: 26 Oct 93 16:45:27 EDT

Does anyone out there have a good idea of the performance of netatalk,
especially with respect to many users at once, and file transfer times?  

We are thinking of setting up a file server using netatalk, but since we can
occasionally have more than 100 users on our current file servers we are
wondering what happens to netatalk in that case...

 -Dave

---

From: [email-masked] (Shahrol)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1993 14:56:15 -0700 (PDT)

> especially with respect to many users at once, and file transfer times?  

I ran some quick tests using LanTest - here are the numbers:
All numbers are in kb/sec.  Test writes and reads a 3 meg file to the
servers.  All servers are on the same ethernet, and are very lightly
loaded during the tests.

Centris 650 16/230 AppleShare 3.01
write	 88.97
read	418.70

DEC 5000/240 32/2.6G, Prestoserve, Netatalk 1.3
write	212.30
read	339.36

Sun Sparc 4/110 8/500, Netatalk 1.3
write	 95.35
read	194.70

Centris 650 20/230 Personal Filesharing
write	140.00
read	195.12

IIfx 20/120 Personal Filesharing
write	109.89
read	240.21

The outrageous read rate for the Centris Appleshare is mostly due to
the fact that the file was cached completely in RAM for the read
operation.  

We regularly transfer ~60 megs of stuff to some 50-60 Centrises from
the DEC and it seems that the DEC performance does not degrade as much
as the Centris AppleShare Server.

Hope this helps

-shahrol