Subject: bad op messages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 17:12:04 BST

I run netatalk on one "village" which is part of a large Ethernet LAN
divided by bridges and routers. recently someone in a different part of
the LAN has started up a router on a Mac running EtherTalk Phase 2. Since
they started doing this I have been getting error messages in the console
windows of my Suns running Netatalk 1.2.1 (Sun IPCs with Sun OS4.1.1).

Checking the code the errors are being generated by atalkd within the routine 
zip_packet - presumably because it does not like the packets being
generated by the Phase 2 router. I presume this is expected behaviour or
is there something else funny now going on on our network. Should netatalk
(1.2.1) be happy with Phase 1 and Phase 2 routers on the same network.

Everything still seems to work but we keep getting the message
atalkd[154]: zip: bad op
every 30 seconds in the console window and /var/adm/messages.

Can anyone clarify what is ging on for me?

Thanks,
	Neil Calton
	Rutherford Lab.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1993 13:59:50 -0400

> From:    [email-masked]
> To:      [email-masked]

> atalkd[154]: zip: bad op

Assuming everything else is working, I would just comment out the
syslog message.  I'm guessing there's something odd about the phase 2
router, if it's sending a lot of packets that a phase 1 machine doesn't
understand.  It's probably nothing to be too concerned about, tho.

:wes