Subject: Re: problem with one user accessing Sun filestore

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 92 10:43:43 BST

> > When ever we try and access the Sun partition via the Chooser and
> > Appleshare with this userid we always get the message:
> > "Sorry, your password is incorrect. Please reenter it"
>
> In my experience, there are two common causes for this sort of
> problem.  1. The user has a shell which doesn't appear in /etc/shells
> or 2. The user is in too many groups (the initgroups call fails). In
> either case, afpd should log some sort of error to syslog. Have you
> seen anything there?

No I cannot see any error messages logged and I have checked immediately
after I have tried to access the Sun disc from the Mac with the offending
userid.

The user is in only one group.

However, I have noticed that the NIS passwd entry has no shell specified.
Now in Unix this would cause /bin/sh to be the default shell but I am not
sure if afpd expects there to be an entry. I have asked the Sun administrator
to change the entry but they have not gone around to doing this yet. When they
do I will see if this has any effect.
Neil