Subject: Connecting a Mac w/ Asante card to TCP/IP network

From: [email-masked] (Carl Baltrunas)
Date: Fri, 29 May 92 18:10:57 PDT

Hi,
  I haven't been following all the recent discussions lately, and I'm not
sure if this group is the right place to ask... but here's the situation.

  We just had 2 Mac's, both IIci's installed and they purchased the MacCon3
NuBus cards from Asante, along with their EtherTalk software.

  We also have, a few SPARCStations (SLC & IPX) and a few Sun-3 systems on
a Starlan-10 ethernet network.  We have an HP LaserJet IIID connected to the
serial ports on the SLC and are running the Transcript software for printing.

  What we need to know... is, what other software (or hardware, if that's a
better solution) do we need to have the Mac's be able to 1) spool files to
the printer and 2) possibly store files on the sun server, whether it's NFS
or in a separate disk partition formatted just for the Mac.

  Can this be done using netatalk on the Sun?  Do we need MacTCP?  Can anyone
tell me exactly what we do need to make this work?  Can we run Mac file sharing
between the two Macs on using EtherTalk and maintain/build another connection
to netatalk at the same time?  Can we do this and run some kind of TCP/IP link
to the Sun's for NFS and spooling?  Are there any other questions I should be
asking?

  We want to know our options, and what Software we need to buy or FTP to
do all of this.  ANY suggestions, reccommendations or help WILL be greatly
appreciated.

-Carl