Subject: ``internet routers''

From: [email-masked] (Michael Richardson)
Date: Wed, 27 May 1992 09:12:35 -0400

I have built and installed netatalk 1.2.1 on an RS/6000 here at Carp Systems.
  We have three Mac IIblah's and two Mac SEs on an AppleTalk network. The
Mac II's also have ethernet cards which they use for running MacX. 
  I have limited AppleTalk experience, so please be patient :-) I'm a Unix
admin with lots of experience.
  I had told atalkd that my zone was ``CSI'' --- I then went to the Mac's to
try and tell them. No such luck. The complain that there is no Internet
router, so why set a zone. We had hope we'd be able to use one of the Mac IIs as
a router between the AppleTalk and the rest our ethernet, letter the
laser printers be shared be all rather than segregated. 
  I have been unable to find any Apple documentation that tells me what an
internet router is beyond ``something that routes between networks'' (no
kidding). 

  My atalkd.conf is basically: (en0 is the AIX ethernet I think)

ifconfig en0 0.0
ifconfig lo0 0.0

en0 "CSI"
route en0 lo0
zone CSI

-- 
  :!mcr!:	    |           #include <ansi-std/disclaimer.h> 
Michael Richardson  | WORK: [email-masked]  HOME: [email-masked]