Subject: Contents of atalkd.conf file?

From: "George Cebulka, ECE Facilities" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 92 11:16:20 -0400

Hello All:
     I am in the process of getting netatalk to runn on a DEC-DS3100
running Ultrix4.2a. I have compiled the code and installed. At this
point when I try to start the atalkd I get the following error:
	socket: Protocol not supported
I think I've traced the error to the addzone routine in init.c of the
atalkd suite. (line 166 for those of you who are counting.)
 My guess is that the atalkd.conf file is not correct. Can someone tell
me what the proper entries for this file are?
	Thanks in advance
		George Cebulka, ECE Facilities.

The contents of my atalkd.conf file are:
ln0 ECE
route ln0 lo0
zone ECE

The output from netstat -i
Name   Mtu   Network     Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs  Coll
ln0    1500  cmunet      taca.ece.cmu.ed  9861545    73  5426193    16 215224
lo0    1536  loop        localhost         114356     0   114356     0     0

---

From: "George Cebulka, ECE Facilities" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 92 14:18:38 -0400

Wes:
     This is going to sound like a dumb question, but How do I find out
what the appletalk address of my network is? We are currently using the
CAP software to do printing from our Unix systems to our laserwriters.
There is a file that is needed for CAP to work called ATALK.LOCAL. Here is the file:

#
#   atalk.local for taca.ece.cmu.edu 
#automatically generated on Mon Mar 30 16:04:06 EST 1992
#
# host's appletalk network, node, zone
50.210 1 ECE

# bridge's appletalk network, node, and ipaddress
50.66 50 128.2.66.50

However the appletalk address for the above host does not seem to be in
the same format. Is this indeed the same address?
	Thanks 
	    George.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 92 16:41:14 -0400

>Someone who has run a CAP system more recently than
>I, might be able to tell you which of those numbers cooresponds to the
>network number you're looking for. Note that CAP gives network numbers
>in XX.YY for, where XX and YY are each 8 bits. netatalk gives net
>numbers in XXXX, where XXXX is a 16 bit number.

It's not clear from your example how you had cap configured, but since
your host and gateway were on different nets, I'll assume that you were
set up as an IPTalk net and weren't doing streams NIT cap.  If that's 
the case, then your ethertalk network number would be 50 * 256 + 66
= 12866.

But if I'm wrong, it might be 50 * 256 + 210 = 13010.  

-Gordon