Subject: Installing netatalk

From: [email-masked] (Peter Steele)
Date: Tue, 5 May 92 19:56:12 ADT

I'm tackling this package for the first time and it seems to do much
more than what I want. I'd need to be able to set up three printer
definitions on a Unix host where the printers are on Appletalk. For
now, I don't need to have Macs access Unix printers or the Unix file
system. The intent is to allow postscript documents to be printed to
these postscript printers from Unix. Can anyone give me some pointers
where to start? Thanks.

-- 
Peter Steele        Unix Services Manager        [email-masked]
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS   Tel: 902-542-2201   Fax: 902-542-4364

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 May 92 19:53:51 -0400

>these postscript printers from Unix. Can anyone give me some pointers

Although you don't mention what kind of a system you've got, the hinfo
record for merlin.acadiau.ca says it's an SLC, so I'll assume you're 
building this for a Sun.  

First off, are these PostScript printers directly attached to the ethernet,
or do you at least have a LocalTalk to EtherTalk gateway?  If so, then
you should be all set.  While you'll really only need to use the kernel
extension, atalkd, psf, and pap, it's easy to just build the whole
thing.  The instructions in the README files are pretty clear.  To 
configure outbound printing, you'll need to:

1) Build and install the kernel extension
2) Build everything else and install it in /usr/local/atalk (or somewhere
   else if you prefer).
3) Modify the sample atalkd.conf in etc/atalkd and install it, then
   start up atalkd.
4) Read through the man pages on psf and pap, and modify your printcap
   file appropriately.  A sample printcap entry is provided in the
   psf(8) man page.  You'll also need to make spool directories for each 
   printer and install a .paprc file in each.	
5) Put all the appropriate commands in /etc/rc to load the kernel
   extension and start atalkd at boot time.  Samples are provided in
   the README.SUN file.  

We do pretty much what you want to do here (albeit on an RS-6000) - no
file service, just outbound printing.  Works fine for us.

-Gordon Good
-University of Michigan ITD/CSS unix support