Subject: Installing netatalk on more than one Sun

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 92 16:50:30 BST

I have happily been running Netatalk 1.2.1 on my Sun IPC and using
it to provide Sun filestore to a few selected Mac users, to print to
Mac printers etc. I am now planning on extending the use of the service to
include more Mac users. I am hesitant in having all my Mac users
reliant on one Sun. Therefore, I plan to install Netatalk on at
least one other IPC so I have a good chance that one Sun will always
be available.

As I am going to do this anyway I was thinking of running both
netatalked Suns together and dividing the load between them (i.e.
have half the Macs use one Sun as a server and half use the other).
I am also prompted to consider this, by noting that the default for
the maximum number of connections to afpd is only 5. I am wondering
why this was set so low and whether it was because of performance
implications. (Or have I totally misunderstood this - which is quite
possible!)

Before I set up other Suns I just wanted to check that I had not missed any
obvious problems in doing this. If anyone can spot any "deliberate"
errors in my reasoning please let me know before I muck the whole
system up!

Thanks as always for any replies,
	Neil

--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: [email-masked]
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory,      BITNET: nbc%uk.ac.rl.inf@ukacrl
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon,  OX11 0QX     JANET:     [email-masked]
England                              Tel: +44 235 44 5740  Fax: +44 235 44 5831

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 92 12:53:46 -0500

> From:    [email-masked]
> To:      [email-masked]

> implications. (Or have I totally misunderstood this - which is quite

We just picked 5 out of the air.  We do have machines on campus
configured to accept substancially more connections.  If I were you,
I'd just play with it a bit, and see what kind of load afpd serving
your macs puts on your server.  The greatest constraint I've seen, BTW,
is memory, the AFP protocol being incapable of saturating even a
relatively slow SCSI bus.

wes