Subject: netatalk with ghostscript on a Sun

From: [email-masked] (Mark Holm)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 92 22:21:28 PDT

I downloaded Ghostscript V2.5, configured and loaded it onto my Sun to run
a HP Paintjet that was just sitting there, and Viola! Instant Color
Postscript printer. Good Stuff! Unfortunatly the Macintosh users noticed
and now they want to use it also. So I went out and got netatalk Version
2.1.1. After configuring it I had something that showed up on the Mac's. I
downloaded macps version 23 and fixed up the procset ... and tried to
spool a job from the Mac. Job was accepted by the sun, placed in the spool
directory, ... and disappeared from the face of the earth. I stoped the
spooler and grabbed the data file. Both with and without the leading
procset (applied via macps) gs produces the following error:

> Initializing... done.
> Loading Times-Roman font from /usr/local/lib/ghostscript/fonts/ptmr.gsf...
> 686416 669172 1 done.
> Loading Courier font from /usr/local/lib/ghostscript/fonts/ncrr.gsf...
> 746416 725458 1 done.
> Loading Helvetica font from /usr/local/lib/ghostscript/fonts/phvr.gsf...
> 766416 764096 1 done.
> %%[|0|]%%Error: /invalidfont in -dicttype-
> Operand stack:
>     272  14.9998  0  0  0  1  0  0  0  0  1  1  null  null  0  0  0  1  0
> 0  1  0  0  1  0  0  1  0  0  1.09596  0  -0  1.09596  32.8787  32.9746
> /Helvetica  -dicttype-  /Helvetica
> Execution stack:
>     %interp_exit    --nostringval--  --nostringval--  false
> --nostringval--  --nostringval--  false  --nostringval--  --nostringval--
> --nostringval--  false  --nostringval--  --nostringval--  --nostringval--
> --nostringval--  --nostringval--
> Dictionary stack:
>     461/479  14/200  238/270  11/25  461/479  12/12
> Ghostscript 2.5 (8/18/92)
>   Copyright (C) 1990, 1992 Aladdin Enterprises, Menlo Park, CA.
>   All rights reserved.
> Distributed by Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> Ghostscript comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file LICENSE for details.
> GS<38>

What am I doing wrong and has anybody else set up something similar? Any
pointers that anybody can give me on getting this going would be greatly
appreciated.

===========================================================================
Mark Holm                                           [email-masked]  -or-
Analogy                                           ..sun!nosun!analogy!markh
P.O. Box 1669                                           Phone (503)626-9700
Beaverton, Oregon 97075-1669				Fax   (503)643-3361

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 92 15:45:40 -0400

> From:    [email-masked] (Mark Holm)
> To:      [email-masked]

Warning: I know jack about GhostScript. However, your configuration
sounds interesting, so please bear with me.

> After configuring it I had something that showed up on the Mac's. I
> downloaded macps version 23 and fixed up the procset

Ok, why are you using macps. For some GS specific reason? For the most
part, we've found no reason to run macps on our procsets. Assuming
you're not using System 7 LaserWriter drivers, the procset shouldn't
have anything interesting it.

> I stoped the

> > %%[|0|]%%Error: /invalidfont in -dicttype-

From the error message, it sounds like the Mac is asking for a font your
GS doesn't have. When papd spools a job from a Mac, the Mac sends a
number of PostScript queries. One of these ask for the list of resident
fonts on the printer. Of course, the only way papd has of knowing this
is from its configuration. You might want to check if the font list
papd is configured with is the same as the actual fonts available to
GS. You can get the GS fonts easily by running something like

	%!
	FontDirectory { pop = flush } forall

Let me know if any of this works. Your configuration sounds pretty
unique, and is certainly nothing I've heard of anyone using.

wes