Subject: Configuring atalkd for a net with no routers

From: [email-masked] (Dennis Persinger)
Date: Tue, 5 May 92 14:52:12 PDT

I'm trying to set up netatalk for use on a very trivial network 
(a IIci, a SPARC 2, and two printers using EtherPrint).  My atalkd.conf
file looks like this:

ifconfig le1 0.0
ifconfig lo0 0.0
le1 UFOnet
route le1 lo0
zone UFOnet

le0 is connected to a different network with no Appletalk devices on
it.  The problem is that atalkd refuses to acknowledge any other
devices on the net.  If I register foo:LaserWriter using nbprgstr,
I can see it just fine on the IIci, but nbplkup will not find anything
on the net (it doesn't even send out any traffic on the wire, as
verified by a sniffer).  I suspect this has something to do with the
fact that both le1 and lo0 are using net number 0.  Am I close?

An unrelated issue: when (if?) this part is running, I'd like to 
integrate it with Transcript (who's mention is conspicuously absent
in the docs).  Can pap substitute for pscomm?  Any special tricks
that people have out there?

Many thanks,
Dennis Persinger

The Aerospace Corp.
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Dennis Persinger)
Date: Tue, 5 May 1992 17:56:13 -0800

>fact that both le1 and lo0 are using net number 0.  Am I close?

Some other data:

*  I can aecho devices on the net just fine (at least non-EtherPrint
devices, since EtherPrint will not respond to an echo.  Even though the
EtherPrint didn't respond to an aecho, it did respond to the AARP).

*  netstat -i from the machine in question:

Name  Mtu  Net/Dest      Address        Ipkts  Ierrs Opkts  Oerrs Collis
Queue 
le0   1500 130.221.192.0 ufo            658727  248  221340  0    15416  0 
   
le1   1500 130.221.80.0  ufo2.aero.org  1968    0    1296    0    0      0 
   
le1   1500 af16: 00.00.00.00.01         1968    0    1296    0    0      0 
   
lo0   1536 loopback      localhost      326942  0    326942  0    0      0 
   
lo0   1536 af16: 00                     326942  0    326942  0    0      0 

* Both the IIci and EtherPrints are configured as Phase I
devices--confirmed by a sniffer.

* The IIci can see and use the printers just fine.

Confusedly yours,

Dennis Persinger
The Aerospace Corp.
[email-masked]