Subject: Re: Re: MMAXOFF not defined

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 92 21:53:24 -0400

One clarification.  Gossip heard around the corner or down a floor
indicates I may have given some people the mistaken impression that I
"implemented phase 2 on RS/6K's".  Such is not the case.  I
repeat and emphasize the exact sentence of my earlier message:

	CITI, which did the initial port of netatalk to RS/6K's,
	and more recently implemented appletalk phase 2 support in netatalk.

In most or all of these cases I am dealing with alpha or beta
versions of netatalk.  My goal is firstly, to get a reliable
working version going that fits the needs of the university and IFS,
secondly, to funnel any changes back to the various other people (wes
& CITI), and thirdly, to spend as little time on the process as
possible.  Any source changes I make are guided by these 3
principles.  I'll cheerfully do no changes if I can - principle
3 -- I'll also make hundreds of lines of changes, if necessary -- princple 1.
I have done both, at various times.

In the case of phase 2 support, what I got from CITI did
indeed do phase 2.  It did not have all of the various reliability
fixes I in fact did do for 1.2/phase 1, and it had various new
problems that would have affected operational use.  I spent
some time (several weeks) fixing both - and at that, I am
grateful it was not several months doing phase 2 support
from scratch.  There are a few issues left in the code,
but I understand both wes & CITI have or are independently working
on solutions - and the issues should not become of burning
importance until phase 1 transition routing disappears and
extended networks start popping up around campus.

The only CITI person I named was one of the contact people at CITI;
the address Peter gave is much better.  I've not named any
other CITI people, not because of any desire to belittle their
work, but because they aren't necessarily still working on netatalk,
may not welcome questions from other places about netatalk,
and don't (to my knowledge) necessarily represent the official contact
point at CITI.

				-Marcus