Subject: I crashed and I cannot get up!

From: [email-masked] (Mark Holm)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 92 18:04:25 PDT

After all the work getting the ghostscript working, now I have a problem
with just getting things running again.

Systemic Details:

	Sun IPX running SunOS 4.1.2
	No patches
	Attached serial HP Paintjet

Other "Things" on the network
	Several Macs Running System 7
	Kpath - minimal configuration necessary to get IP forwarding
	Several Suns Running Tops 3.0 (not this one)
	Several PC's running Tops 3.0
	Multiple Printers with Appletalk interfaces

After getting everything running and playing with the full system for about a
week, I managed to crash my system just when one of the Mac User's wanted
to do something real. When I rebooted, I cannot get anything running beyond
the atalkd. My atalkd.conf file looks like the following:

> ifconfig le0 128.0
> le0 EtherTalk
> zone EtherTalk

Simple and straight forward. if you check after starting atalkd you find
that it is running (using ps) and has established a couple of entries in my
routing table (netstat -r).

Next step is to register the workstation:

> nbprgstr opus:Workstation

Returns:

> nbp_rgstr: Can't assign requested address
> Can't register opus:Workstation@*

Ok, so lets see what else doesn't work. Try something simple like getting
zones:

> getzones

Returns:

> atp_sreq: Can't assign requested address

How about looking at the rest of the network with nbplkup. it also returns
the above error.

Do I have an old data file around somewhere that I need to get rid of
(maybe as part of the boot process)? Where do I go from here. The Mac
user's wanted to print something today, otherwise they will farm it out to
a printer. Somebody please give me some pointers!!!

===========================================================================
Mark Holm                                           [email-masked]  -or-
Analogy                                           ..sun!nosun!analogy!markh
P.O. Box 1669                                           Phone (503)626-9700
Beaverton, Oregon 97075-1669				Fax   (503)643-3361

---

From: Robert John Churchill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 92 00:20:24 -0400

> From:    [email-masked] (Mark Holm)
> To:      [email-masked]

> the atalkd. My atalkd.conf file looks like the following:

Hi Mark,
 
As an example, here is what one of my machine's atalkd.conf file looks like:

	ifconfig le0 7939.0
	ifconfig lo0 0.0		<-- configure loopback interface
	le0 "Argus"
	route le0 lo0			<-- route between two interfaces
	zone Argus

Do you have an AppleTalk compatible version of ifconfig?  If not, I think
you'll want to add lines to configure your loopback interface and route
between it and the net (marked lines).  Is the name of your zone "EtherTalk"?

Robert

---

From: Robert John Churchill <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 92 00:20:24 -0400

Hi Mark,

	ifconfig le0 7939.0

Robert