Subject: printing problem

From: Richard Cole <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 92 09:39:41 BST

Hi,
 I have a problem printing from our macs to a laserwriter II connected
 to the Sun network.  The quote (') and double-quote (") characters are
printed as U and S respectively.  My test document was created with
MacWrite II but I have had the problem with docs from other sources.

  Is this a known problem with a fix ?  Any help appreciated ...

Richard Cole  <[email-masked]>

Interactive Systems Group
Philips Research Laboratories
Cross Oak Lane
Redhill
Surrey
RH1 5HA
UK

---

From: Mark Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 92 08:48:29 -0400

>From:     Richard Cole <[email-masked]>
> Hi,

How is the LaserWriter II connected to the "Sun network"?  This problem
generally shows up with serial connected printers where the connection
can't carry 8-bit data or when the LaserWriter itself is configured for
7-bit data (the U and S's appear when the high bit is dropped).

The good news is that there is a shell script included with netatalk
that changes the printer to accept all 8 bits.  Take a look at
netatalk-1.2/etc/papd/set8bit.sh.  Run that at your printer and see
if it fixes the problem.

-Mark