Subject: Help with Printing via papd

From: [email-masked] (Mark Holm)
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 92 9:31:11 PST

I have two different setups with roughly equivalent results from both.

First setup:

	Macintosh Plus 6.0.8 4Mb on AppleTalk
		Tried both printmonitor and Tops Spool
	Several Mac IIci 7.0.1 on Ethertalk
	Shiva FastPath 4 minimum configuration (IP forwarding only)
	Sun IPX 4.1.2 Running netatalk 1.2.1
		atalkd
		papd
		pap -> LaserWriter on Appletalk

Second Setup:
	Macintosh Plus 6.0.8 4Mb on Ethertalk with Nuvolink adapter
		Tried both printmonitor and Tops Spool
	Sun 3/50 4.1.1 Running netatalk 1.2.1
		atalkd
		papd to spool to a ghostscript driven deskjet 500
		apfd

In the first setup, all the Mac's running 7.0.1 have no problems. I am
actually serving several printers from the Sun, and they seem to have no
problems. When I try to print from the one system setting on the Appletalk,
it never seems to be able to make a connection. Watching from the print
monitor, it tries for about three minutes and then starts over until you
kill the print job. If you then look at the Sun with ps you find a number
ojobs of the form:

	-lw3 processing job 67/57 from 0.58.182 (papd)

The number of these seems to correspond to the number of times that it
attempted to print the file.

The atalk.conf file for this system looks like:

	ifconfig le0 128.0
	ifconfig lo0 0.0
	le0 EtherTalk
	route le0 lo0
	zone EtherTalk

Additional information:

	atalk netnumber:	0
	ethertalk net number:	128

Unless I' highly mistaken the problem is that the lo0 inetface and the
appletalk zone both have the same netnumber. the problem is that I cannot
seem to get netatalk to fire up with any other number than 0 on the lo0
interface and it won't start at all if you don't declare the lo0 interface.

On the second setup, it is roughly the same behaviour except if you let the
Mac try more than once to print, it hangs the Mac and you have to reboot. I
know it is making a partial connection because it does manage to get the
procset downloaded into the procset directory. It also leaves the
"processing" jobs behind. 

The atalk.conf file for this one looks like:

	ifconfig le0 0.0
	ifconfig lo0 0.0
	le0 "EtherTalk 2"
	route le0 lo0
	zone "EtherTalk 2"

I tried several combinations of net numbers here as well, but this was the
only one that allowed the Mac to see the sun and the sun to see the Mac.
The additional "strangeness" here is that the  Appleshare portion seems to
be working just fine.

Anybody have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will
sumarize if response warrents.

===========================================================================
Mark Holm                                           [email-masked]  -or-
Analogy                                           ..sun!nosun!analogy!markh
P.O. Box 1669                                           Phone (503)626-9700
Beaverton, Oregon 97075-1669				Fax   (503)643-3361