Subject: Mac to Unix printing

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 92 14:37:56 BST

Firstly, thanks to Wes Craig and Shing Chi Cheung for correctly
solving my problem with "permission denied" messages when using pap.
The files status in the spool area needed to owned by daemon.

I have another question. It is not a problem with netatalk but with
the environment I would like to use it in. I would like to be able
to use papd to print from the Macs to the Unix printers. However, we
do not have Apple laserwriters but HP III-D printers. I can set up
papd fine and see the Unix spooler in the Mac Chooser, and send the job
from the Mac to the HP printer. However, the PostScript produced by the
Mac is incompatible with the HP printer. We are running System 6.0.7
on the Macs and I assume it is the LaserPrep which is the problem.

We only have one machine on System 7 at the moment and that seems to
produce PostScript that will print on the HP's. We intend to upgrade
all Macs to System 7 but not immediately, so if anyone knows of a workaround
to deal with the System 6 PostScript I would be glad to hear of any
suggestions. Apologies if the question is considered inappropriate for
this forum.
Thanks,
	Neil Calton

--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: [email-masked]
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory,      BITNET: nbc%uk.ac.rl.inf@ukacrl
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon,  OX11 0QX     JANET:     [email-masked]
England                              Tel: +44 235 44 5740  Fax: +44 235 44 5831

---

From: Charles Clark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 92 10:57:39 EDT

> From:    [email-masked]
> To:      [email-masked]

> to deal with the System 6 PostScript I would be glad to hearof any
> suggestions.

You can install system 7 printing into a system 6.0.x system; in fact
system 6.0.8 is just 6.0.7 with the new printing drivers, basically.

cmc

---

From: Mike Kuniavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 92 11:16:26 -0400

>produce PostScript that will print on the HP's. We intend to upgrade

The System 7 printer driver will work fine with System 6.  Try dropping
in on one of your System 6 machines and seeing if things print better.
(This is, of course, assuming that the 7 driver is what's causing the 
one machine to print while the others don't, but it's an easy thing
to try, anyway).

....Mike.