Subject: Re: problem with one user accessing Sun filestore + new question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 92 13:00:27 BST

> However, I have noticed that the NIS passwd entry has no shell specified.
> Now in Unix this would cause /bin/sh to be the default shell but I am not
> sure if afpd expects there to be an entry. I have asked the Sun administrator
> to change the entry but they have not gone around to doing this yet. When they
> do I will see if this has any effect.

The administrator did this quicker than I expected. It now works. With the
shell specified in the NIS entry the userid can now access the Sun disk from
the Mac. Not sure if this should be described as a bug or a feature.

I also have another question concerning the permissions mode of files
created on the Sun via afpd. This is 600. In some cases we would like
to be able to share files between users on different Macs. Is there any
way other than altering the default of 600 all the way through the code
of getting what we want. It would be nice to keep the 600 mode for
our own file partitions but have a different mode on the shared partition.
My C knowledge is minimal - would it be feasible to check either the group
permission on the parent directory or the identity of the user making the
call and use a different set of permissions on files created on that
particular file partition?

Suggestions and comments welcome. Thanks.
  Neil