Subject: afpd questions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 May 92 11:12:27 BST

I have been using the afpd supplied with netatalk to access
the disk on the Sun IPC where I have installed netatalk (v1.2).
I am accessing /usr and /home and things seem to work so far.
However, within /home I have a number of NFS mount points where
file systems from our file servers are mounted on the Sun IPC.

Using netatalk and afpd I seem able to access these NFS filesystems
from the server via the IPC. Now, I am by no means sure that I
*should* be able to do this. Anyway, access is by no means reliable
and strange things happen e.g. the Mac freezing up, or today the Finder
seemed to disappear! All my windows on the Mac vanished and Finder was
no longer accessible from the Apple Menu. Two applications were left
running (MS Word and a clock) and when I killed these off the Finder
and all the windows reappeared but at a configuration which was
slightly older than when the Finder first disappeared (i.e. some
windows open which I had recently closed etc.).

Anyway, the point of all this is (1) would people expect NFS filestore
to be accessible via afpd or is it a case of too many protocols
spoiling the broth? (2) Is anyone else trying to do the same thing?
(3) Would upgraiding to 1.2.1 have any effect?

I know I could access the servers' filestore directly by installing
netatalk on those machines but that is not an immediate option.
Once again thanks in advance for any information or suggestions.

Neil

--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: [email-masked]
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory,      BITNET: nbc%uk.ac.rl.inf@ukacrl
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon,  OX11 0QX     JANET:     [email-masked]
England                              Tel: +44 235 44 5740  Fax: +44 235 44 5831

---

From: [email-masked] (Kee Hinckley)
Date: Tue, 5 May 92 10:38:43 -0400

> to be accessible via afpd or is it a case of too many protocols
I should hope so.  Anything else strikes me as limiting for no good reason. 
But then, I spent six years at Apollo, with 2000+ machines all available on
the network.

> spoiling the broth? (2) Is anyone else trying to do the same thing?
Sure, I access four or five machines through NFS mount points on my Sun.
I haven't seen the problem you mention though.

Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
[email-masked]              |       Send Anything... Anywhere
617/646-7703 (voice/fax)        |       [email-masked]

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.